Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Show, Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Getty and he Armstrong and Yetty Tim what could be a.
Speaker 3: Significant step towards peace Ukraine agreeing to President Trump's proposal for a thirty day seaspire, with the President turning the spotlight on Russia, announcing he will speak to President Putin.
Speaker 4: Hopefully President Putin will agree to that also, and we could.
Speaker 1: Get this show on the road.
Speaker 3: Secretary of State Rubio leading the talks in Saudi Arabia, also saying Russia must make the next move.
Speaker 5: Balls now in their court. As they say no, then, well, unfortunately know what the impediment is to piece here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm hoping, as Keirs Simmons reporting on NBC, I'm hoping we're a out to see the squeeze on Putin. Hey, they had to get everything lined up, Squeezings and Lensky to agree to the deal. Deals in place, As Rubio said, Secretary of State, balls in Putin's court now, and I'm hoping maybe you start putting pressure on Putin or saying some bad things about him if he doesn't go along. I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's an interesting strategy if indeed it is a you know, a coherent strategy, and I don't know that it's not.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it is.
Speaker 6: Um no, and Putin is so completely, almost ridiculously unreliable as a party to an agreement.
Speaker 1: So here's Richard Engel of NBC with a little analysis on it.
Speaker 4: So it has been a very trying time, fast moving events, especially when people here know that their country is on the line, that the future map of Ukraine is being redrawn at this moment, and it is happening so quickly. But today, today, at this very moment, I think they feel quite satisfied with the end of this diplomatic process because they want this. They want a piece, they say that they want, however, a lasting piece, and if a ceasefire can bring those negotiations, they certainly welcome it. And if it can expose Vladimir Putin as someone who doesn't want an agreement, all the better for Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Well, that's interesting. And Richard Ingle wouldn't say that Ukraine's pretty happy with this if they weren't, right, I want to get this on. This is somebody on CNN because I was accused of spouting MSNBC talking points on the text line earlier, this being one of them.
Speaker 7: It's a win for Ukraine and it gives them a chance now to flip the narrative that the ball is in Russia's court and now if Russia wants to be the bad guy, you know, Putin has to decide.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I miss read it. I said earlier this might be a win for Russia and that you know, if he agrees to a cease fire. It's the same reason Hamas agreed to various ceasefires, so they could you know, get some food and get some more ammunition and you know, get their act together so they could attack again.
Speaker 6: Ship in some more North Koreans to get mowed down by machine guns the first day there in country.
Speaker 1: And I was accused of spouting MSNBC talking points there, But that's not an argument. Well yeah, but it's interesting that Richard Engel and the CNN reporter both say Ukraine's happy about this. It's a win for Ukraine to get this, Okay. Uh. Here's our friend Josh Rogan of the Washington Post on CNN eighty five.
Speaker 8: I think what Zelenski achieved here was that he put the spotlight back on the Russians to show that if there's no ceasefire, it's Putin's fault, not Zelensky's fault. The problem with the Oval Office meeting was that it convinced Trump that the lack of peace was Zelenski's fault, and he blames Elenskin. He punished the Ukrainians. Now it's on Putin.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't know with Trump how much is strategy and how much is a reaction to being challenged, because he has a very rigid, hot temperty reaction to being challenged by anybody, whether it's Zelensky or who was absolutely out of line trying to litigate the case in front of the cameras when everybody's supposed to shake hands and make nice. Anyway, But the recent experience with Doug Ford up in Canada, the premiere of Ontario saying all right, you're gonna levy tariffs on off us. We're going to levy tariffs on you, including the electricity, and Trump went nuts. I mean, his rhetoric was like over the top. So there are those though I could see you writing your emails right now, say no that is the strategy. It's the Madman theory, throwing everything up in the air, getting everybody on their heels.
Speaker 1: Then he goes in and crafts the deal he wants to craft. I can't believe we cut off intelligence to Ukraine allowing that how they.
Speaker 6: Get early alerts of a haack, drone attacks and missile attacks so their civilians can run down in the air raid shelters. We cut that off for a few days. Why to force force them to the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, this I found very very interesting and sort of shakes up my view of the whole ceasepire thing talking about Russia's economy and how bad it is.
Speaker 5: That war is devastating Russia. They've raised interest rates to twenty one percent because inflation is so high. They claim inflation is nine percent, But that's bs. You don't have twenty one percent interest rates if you have nine percent inflation. True inflation is by forty percent or something like that. The cost of borrowing is you want a mortgage in moscows by thirty forty percent. Enterprises right now, a third of enterprises right now are not paying each other. They don't have the money to pay each other. Factories but butter is being locked up in supermarkets because it's become so expensive that people are stealing it. Couldn't does not have unlimited time. If the Ukrainians can hold out one more year, Russia's economy collapses.
Speaker 1: Been hearing that for a while though, since the beginning of the war, when we really put the squeeze on them, that they Russia wouldn't last long. But China gets around it. Some of our friends continue to buy stuff from Russia.
Speaker 6: I've read equally learned commentators say that indeed, yeah, Russia and the Axis of a Holes as we like to call it, have have made it so that Russia is not really that isolated, and economically they're doing much better than anybody expected.
Speaker 1: But I mean, if mortgage a mortgages are.
Speaker 6: Thirty forty percent, and that's an economy that's in terrible shape.
Speaker 1: If inflation's anywhere close to forty percent, I mean, if it's half that, you would think he's not long for this world. Putin, somebody would take him out, you would think. I mean, if it is a country run by Olive Arts, as has been reported for decades now, those are billionaires who run the country and keep putting an office. Why are they going to continue that? Yeah? Yeah, and I heard the rest of that report. That guy is Matthew Brazinski on NBC, former Wall Street Journal reporter. I don't know what he does now, but he made the point that, you know, these dictators seem solid as a rock until the day they're not. Let's see Ryan bashar Assad in Syria or whatever. It's so unpredictable, you just never know.
Speaker 6: So this is a quick aside for the golfers in the audience, although I think everybody will get it.
Speaker 1: I had a conversation the other day.
Speaker 6: We were going to play, but the forecast was terrible, and we got this text string. There are twelve of us that were going to play, and everybody was like feeling each other out. I looks kind of rough today. I'm not gonna be the first to pull out, but what that forecast? The other guy right back? Yeah, you know, kind of kind of rough looking, don't know, you know, could go either way, but nobody wants to be the first guy to pull out, so you feel each other out. And I had a conversation with a buddy of mine that it's exactly like when somebody wants to stage a coup, like if you want to get rid of Putin. There's a lot of boy Putin's some interesting moves lately, you know, And then you're waiting for somebody to say, yeah, I don't think it's very smart.
Speaker 1: Then you know, I think give you a slightly different look. You say, but I like them. They're interesting. But there, you know, thinking outside the box. And I innovative was the word I was looking for her.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so what do you Then you turn to the other guy, But what do you think of the job our beloved leaders doing it?
Speaker 1: I got some questions. You're just looking for hints.
Speaker 6: That somebody's with you, except deciding whether to play golf or not generally doesn't involve being shoved out a window or executed as a trader after, you know, was several months of beating his torture.
Speaker 1: Well, and he had that weekend where it looked like Progosion might march all the way to Moscow and have a showdown, but he backed off for whatever reason and then ended up being murdered in a plane crash.
Speaker 6: Yeah, was he not the absolute classic example of if you're gonna shoot at the King, don't miss.
Speaker 2: How was that?
Speaker 6: And don't say, you know what, I got a hothead. I'm so sorry, my majesty. I'm I'm good. We're good though, We're good right now, that's not a choice.
Speaker 4: How did the.
Speaker 1: Guys wiley as him think he was ever gonna survive? That he thought he had cards to play? Wow? Misread that one. I wonder if he I wonder if he thought that is the plane was plunging toward earth. I really thought I had that figured plat. Yeah, anyway, so who knows where this is direction is going? I I hope we hear some slightly nasty language about Putin, one of the worst people on planet Earth. Yeah, I hope we hear something, you know, not favorable about the guy.
Speaker 6: A totalitarian megalomaniac who has zero interest in quote unquote protecting Christianity no matter what your favorite lack adoodal right wing influencer, and I'm a right winger is trying to tell you.
Speaker 1: So this hour, a state farm executive state farm Insurance in California got caught on a hot mic on purpose. It was a trap saying some really bad things, and now he's out of a job. About those of us who pay for insurance.
Speaker 6: And it all fits into the greater story of rebuilding LA after the cataclysmic wildfires, and how especially on the left of politics, which is really the only side that matters in California, they are really hot to trot to not let this crisis go to waste what they're going to try to accomplish.
Speaker 1: And the secret recording is a warning to those of you that be careful on your Tinder dates. You don't know this person that might be your lesson for the day among us. I'll file that one away among other things. On the way. Stay here.
Speaker 9: The Museum of Failure houses some of the world's greatest flops. Visitors can see attractions such as crystal Pepsi, carrot cake Oreos, and of course that Don Lemon exhibits.
Speaker 6: This tone of voice. Made that joke I read about the Museum of Failure. It's actually a cool idea. There's a huge legal dispute going on right now, but yeah, the idea being, yeah, yeah, failure doesn't stop you. You had to set back, you learn from it, you move on. It's kind of a cool idea.
Speaker 1: So coming up, we're gonna talk about this audio that was secretly recorded of a state farm executive and it gets into the how businesses become woken all that sort of stuff. But the dude was secretly recorded on a tender date that he thought was real but turned out to be, you know, a honeypot sort of sting to get him to talk and record him. And we actually got into the conversation about this online dating stuff during the commercials. Katie, you've done online dating. I don't even remember if you talked about that or not. Nobody else here has I don't think, Yeah you have, Yeah, I haven't. Joe obviously has it. Michael, you haven't.
Speaker 6: No, No, I wait, And judging from your tone of voice, it was just a bull of cherry.
Speaker 1: But I know a lot of people that have, and one of the things that they all say is nobody looks even close to like their picture, at least particularly the tender stuff. I don't know about. Maybe e harmony is more I don't know, real than that. I don't know, because it's from what I understand, Tinder is still more of a hookup app than the looking for my husband or wife.
Speaker 10: It kind of went down in the ranks as a hookup app because there are more hook up apps that have develop.
Speaker 1: Since I used it, But yeah, it's it's probably it probably probably floats around just like the popular bar huh.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, And I mean I used it before all of the filters and stuff were a big deal. But I noticed that the guys tend to put up like the best pictures obviously of themselves, that make it look like they have different occupations than they actually have.
Speaker 1: Well, wearing the medical lab code and that sort of thing, yeah, our business suit. Well, putting up the best picture of yourself is you know, yeah, it's par for the course. I mean, everybody does that. But if it if you don't look like it, I mean I would. I have heard people talk about you walk into the coffee shop or whatever it is and you don't even know that's them over there. Yeah, I didn't go through that.
Speaker 6: I was reading something the other day and got one of those pop up ads in the middle of the article, and it was for a filter app, and it was saying the message of it was essentially for dating apps, that the other apps make you look totally unlike yourself and not like a real person. Our app makes you look totally unlike yourself, but like a real person, just not you.
Speaker 1: So this is a much better app and.
Speaker 6: I thought, Wow, so they just it's obviously just completely accepted that that's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't get in the you can't make the sale unless you get in the door. That's such a shameless move. My anxiety would be through the roofified.
Speaker 10: At that, going, oh my god, this guy's gonna walk in here, and that is not me in that photo.
Speaker 1: I'm not not going to do that, like out of some moral conviction about online dating. If I were ever going to do it, it'd be out of I don't want to have expectations set. I don't want to look at a disappointed face as they turn around and walk back out the door. That sounds horrible. Jack gives himself a nine inch mullet. Just better to have.
Speaker 6: A picture of yourself like at the end of a long night of drinking, half incoherent, uncamped, with the snot coming out of your nose. Yeah, that way, anybody you know is going to be pleased when you show up.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, oh gosh, great, asked Michael. No, but I was thinking, yeah, what is it any different than like I had a quarter pounder with Jees at the McDonald yesterday. It did not look like the one on the poster in the restaurant. It didn't have the big fluffy lettuce with the buns standing up over a fresh tomato and all that sort of stuff. So you know advertising, Like Joe said, yeah, well, it's it's similar. I'd say, looks are more fundamental to the dancer of love than they are wolfing down a cut rate burger. True, it's it's related.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I heard such an interesting podcast the other day. I meant to bring some of this on the air and look into it more about how damaging for society online dating is for a variety of reasons, and statistics were amazing. It's like ten percent of dudes are like the entire online thing, and certain to a certain extent, same with women, although it's a little different women just for the obvious thing that guys will have sex with practically anybody, but so they have a lot more opportunities. But there's like a top ten percent of dudes who are good looking. A lot of them might not be good people, but they're good looking enough that like are eighty percent of the of the matches and the people that go on dates. So it's just the same ten percent of dudes dating and having sex over and over and over and over and over again, taking women out to eat, and then you know, people get burnt out on the whole thing because of that.
Speaker 10: I think I mentioned this to you guys before, But I was with a group of twenty somethings and they were all on their dating apps, and they were sitting there next to each other making sure that each other were not talking to the same guys that they had matched with, and I'm going, oh my god, I'm so glad I'm not in this right.
Speaker 1: And that's because that pool is so small. Yeah, in whatever town you're in or you know zip code you're putting in there.
Speaker 6: I think coming up, the rebuilding of Los Angeles has not surprisingly run headlong head on into politics, particularly progressive politics. How that might play out and more coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this secretly recorded state farm agent because of a tender date, bad idea. I got that on the way. You stay here, armstrong and getty, like in.
Speaker 5: Marin County in northern California, or some of the fringe areas like where the count states.
Speaker 1: Are can never be houses where like people want to be filled in areas where I like really hard for you that are here probably listening on the radio. That's a state former state farm executive. He's been fired now, Hayden Kirkpatrick. He was on a tender date in the tender dages. What do you do for a living? Ooh, home insurance sounds fascinating. Tell me more to get to get him to talk about, among other things, their emergency filing with the state of Californi after the horrifying fires in Los Angeles, and Kilpatrick, the state farm executive now fired, actually said that they went into a panic when they realized how much this was gonna cost. To quote, our people look at this and says, we've got like maybe five billion dollars that were short if something happens. So they had to go to the Department Insurance and say we're overexposed. Here, you have to let us catch up. They say no, and then we say, okay, well we're then we're gonna cancel all these policies. So well, that is pretty well known so far. Yeah, So I just in general, the whole insurance thing, my life experience has been you pay insurance your whole life, and then if you have a wreck or something happens, to your house, they either drop you or jack up your rates so much that you end up paying back for what they covered. I mean, that's what's happened to me anyway.
Speaker 6: Uh, yeah, you know, it reminds me of the discussion we had earlier about how people don't tend to sympathize with convict inmates even when what's being done is horrible and indefensible. It's just not a super sympathetic you know a target. Likewise, insurance companies. I mean, even if the way they have been done by the state is indefensible, it's tough to work up many tears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I don't know it's being seen as controversial that he said that people shouldn't have been building in those areas anyway. It's just for their egos. They want to live in a beautiful area like this and there shouldn't even be homes there. But I don't know if that's controversial.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people want to live in beautiful places. It's not much of a revelation whether it's for your ego or you like the view. Well, and it's indisputable, and I'm not some sort of industry hack. But as metro areas grow, people are living in. There's a term for it where you know, more urban areas meet nature and there's much great fire risk, particularly in a place like California or anywhere in the Westerlia.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this state farm exec was fired because he said something we didn't mostly already know, or because the company thought, if you're going to go on tender dates with randos and start talking about the way we do business in the state, and maybe you should work somewhere else. So is there more that's controversial about this? Really? Yeah, Well, they go to the state and say, look, if you don't let us jack up the rates, we're gonna start canceling all these policies. Is not seen as cool, maybe the way he phrased it, but that's precisely the case State farms to take it. It's exactly what they do. It's exactly what happens.
Speaker 6: Don't be talking business with bimbos, yes, no, biz with BIMs right, Okay, So I thought this was interesting speaking of that sort of thing. The Wall Street Journal is talking to a realtor about transactions going on people trying to buy properties that are still standing or land or whatever, and nobody can get insurance. And the one deal she's closed lately, it was a seven figure purchase. The buyer said, no, I can't get insurance. I'll be self insured. I'll just if my place burns down, I'm out. And that was the only one she's closed in recent days.
Speaker 1: Because so you've got a really expensive place and you want to sell it, and you find out you can't sell it because nobody can get insurance. That is rough right as they put it.
Speaker 6: The question for LA isn't so much how to rebuild the palisades, but who pays if it burns again? Said State Farm General, writing the State Insurance Commissioner, not on a tender day quote writing new policies doesn't make any sense at this time. The headline of the article, LA has big plans to rebuild after the fire's good luck getting insurance, and of course these states insure of last resort, whatever that's called. I can't remember because its kind of an innocuous name. But it's way crazy overexposed right now. The amount of money on hand versus the risk is way out of proportion that any insurance company has ever behaved on Earth. And then when they get fleeced, the rate payers in California pay according to the law, just a giant searcharge on top of your insurance if you have any. Anyway, I thought this was interesting, and you know, the article is ostensibly about how more progressive political forces are looking at the charred areas of Altadena and Pacific Palisades, all those places we saw on the news if you don't live in the LA area, rebuilding them. And how now is our opportunity MOA. Instead of leafy streets and lawns and pleasant little bungalows housing singular families, We're going to have apartment plexus everywhere, multifamily housing, affordable housing, Section eight housing. This is what we're going to do, and the politics of that playing out will be really interesting to watch. I'll be shocked if that doesn't happen, because there's well, there's a hell of a lot of money, which means a hell of a lot of power in those places. Remember when what was that story we had from Beverly Hills years ago where it turned out all the ways that they were getting around the various regulations for having low income housing and everything like that because they could afford to play the game. Oh yeah, and litigated plus they'd make big contributions to the politicians who have no beliefs, in no souls anyway, like Gavin Newsom actually cares about one issue or another. Now right, they would like list potential available housing, including an area above a BMW dealer, and the owners like, wait a minute, no, we're not building apartments there, it's our business office. But anyway, so yeah, the richer suburbs have all sorts of ways to get around the regulations. And that's an interesting topic. But in reading this story, Jack and anybody interested in journalism or fan of the Wall Street journalism I've been for many, many years, This dude, Conrad puts.
Speaker 1: Your who writes this story?
Speaker 6: It is as if it's in well, the La Times or the USA Today or the Super Liberal before Jeff Bezos threatened to spank people, Washington Post, the You know, I can read you some some specific sentences. It's about, you know, the very topic I was describing. Now, California faces a choice. Will it build the housing it badly needs or will it accept economic stagnation for the price of leafy neighborhoods and single family homes.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's in the news story. Uh, yes, this is a news story.
Speaker 6: Here California's housing shortage is at the root of its economic problems. Residents are leaving for other states at a rapid clip. Economic expansion lags behind states like Texas and Florida. And then they go into some other stats about how terrible the economy is in California, inflation driven in large part by housing costs, is eating intrenderous living standards, and attributes it all. Not a single word in the Wall Street Journal about California ranks fiftieth for business climate year after year after year. Do you think that's having an effect on the economy? But no, they say, no, it's all about housing costs. And they mentioned state and local red tape, but they never mentioned the fringe environmental lobby that also won't let building happen, and any expansion of the footprint of a city. They want it all to be high rise, affordable housing right next to public transit. But the Wall Street blank and doesn't even touch on that. Man, that's crazy. Is it just because if you want to hire young journalists or a place that people have retired or moved on or whatever, it's impossible to find somebody who's not completely woke.
Speaker 1: Well, how about presenting it like as a pejorative that you want to live on a quiet, leafy street.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everybody should live in apartment complexes. Now, I don't mean to be like the cold warrior, which I am, but I've been to former communist countries and they believe firmly and everybody ought to live in a crappy apartment and the architecture and their lives were miserable. And you know, our lefties want to do that. Final note from LA and the wildfires and the politics around the rebuilding. According to the Los Angeles Times, Karen Bass the union hack, utterly, dishonest, selfish soul mayor who anybody who's been following California politics for a long time knows exactly what she is. She is deleting her text messages, thus defeating efforts by media organizations to obtain them as government communications subject.
Speaker 1: To public records requests.
Speaker 6: According to the LA Times, The Times reported had been unable to obtain her text messages concerning her over and sees trip to Ghana because they were automatically deleted and the city had not retained them in spite of laws to the contrary. The Time suggests that best is violating both state law and the city's own administrative code.
Speaker 1: Her phone is set to erase text messages. Nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the fact that LA rejected a thoroughly moderate, reasonable quote unquote Democrat in favor of this union hack is it's just a measure of the depth of the just utter dysfunction of LA politics, California politics.
Speaker 1: End of screed. Last night, I had one of those deals that happens when your kids get to a certain edge where I had to run Henry to his boy Scout meeting, drop him off a little early and let him cool his heels while I ran to his brother's band concert and caught most of that before I left early to get back to pick up the other kid from the boy Scout meeting. But the band concert was really pretty good. You told me that when they get older it actually starts to become you know, like decent music whatever. And at the high school level, yeah, it was pretty good.
Speaker 5: Actually.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a sliding scale, a continuum, a spectrum, if you will, between sacrificing for my child and being entertained and by the time they're like, you know, getting on in high school or even college. Oh no, it's one hundred percent entertainment's just great music. But here's the main reason I brought it up is they had to There was a dress code. They had to dress up a little bit to play at this little amphitheater thing, and you had to wear a tie, either a bow tie or a regular straight tie.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever even mentioned a bow tie when I was a kid. I mean, you'd have been the weirdest, dorkiest dork of all time if you were a bow tie when I was younger. But now probably twenty percent of the dudes had bow ties on, including my son who wanted to wear a bow tie. So has a bowtie made it come back? Apparently clearly? Yeah, Yeah, it's a better tie. I was looking at it helping him put it on, much easier to put on, I mean, not a real you tie it tie bow tie, but like a clip on bow tie is way better than a clip on tie tie. And uh, it's just it's a cool look and it makes and the tie is I don't know what is a tie?
Speaker 6: What is Well, you're clearly an anti tiest. I am agnostic on the question. I think they're both fine. I'm in the even a fan of the bolo Although it's a stretch to call it a tie, It's an adornment.
Speaker 1: I went to a through a bolo face for a while. I liked the bolo tie. But yeah, my son looked really good in the I got it at Target. I bought it may Target to bow tie. So I guess it's not the fanciest thing in the world. So why did you abandon the bolo tie? Look?
Speaker 6: Because you are proudly a Middle American? You know, quote unquote hick m. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't do it with the soup jacket, although a lot of people do. Huh. I like it. It work anyway. If you didn't know that, the bow tie has definitely made a comeback. So show up to your next secretly recording Tinder date in a bow tie and see how it works for you. More on the way, stay here. By the way, I take in news from a lot of different sources. That's kind of what we do for a living. But so I taken stuff from MSNBC and USA Today, and boy, we just got this text about the Wall Street Journal. Hey, I love the show. Other than the editorial page, the Wall Street Journal has become a left center rag. I've subscribed for over a decade, but I'm considering canceling. That's interesting that a number of people have pointed that out recently. Yeah, that's interesting. I don't find the editor real board left well they said notes with that person, oh other than I'm sorry, yeah, okay, but uh but the reason I brought this up is a bouncing around Maga Twitter. I've noticed that the whole Michelle Obama and mccrone's wife have wedding tackle theme is a regular story. Goodness. Oh so that's just for whatever reason, it's an ongoing thing. To what extent is that people having fun?
Speaker 6: I don't know what extent do they actually believe two women are equipped with male genitalia?
Speaker 1: I know a couple and it seems to be one hundred percent, but it's kind of hard to tell. It's like the Flat Earth people. You can't tell if they're just enjoying themselves or what. This is happening outside a courthouse right now and happened yesterday. So that's the guy that was leading the Columbia building takeovers and protests and everything like that in favor of the Palestinians. To put it as charitably as possible, he is an agent of hamas trying to disrupt our country to put it more in line with I guess what our Justice Department thinks. But I'm fascinated by this story. I love free speech stuff. There's a I can never get tired of the conversation of what's free speech, what isn't drawn lines, various cases not alled, or stuff of that sort of thing. And you know he's in jail and gonna get deported. Is that what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're trying to deport him. And can I go on a college campus or anywhere in the United States and say anything I want about various political movements? Or can I or you advocating for a terrorist group? That's where they draw the line. Bill and Illusion of Fox tweeted this out yesterday. I thought it was pretty interesting. Politicians keep getting this wrong. It doesn't matter if Khalil that's his name, hasn't been charged with a crime. It's not required under section two thirty seven of the statute. Rubio is using the Secretary of State for detaining this guy and kicking him out of the country. There is prior president that is rarely mentioned. In nineteen ninety five, when Bill Clinton was president in the matter of Ruez Messai. The court sided with then US Secretary of State Warren Christopher, a Democrat, and his powers to deport a Mexican national under the very same provision, though it is very extremely rarely used. Khalil has not been disappeared. You can look him up, find out exactly where he is. All this will be in public and out in the open, but it has happened before.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know the particulars of the Mexican national that got kicked out by the Clinton administration, but Mallusians saying it's the same argument.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the administration is not claiming that he's broken in any laws. Caroline Levitt, the White House Press secretary, said Khalil quote sided with terrorists, organized group protests that disrupted college campus classes and harassed Jewish American students and made them feel unsafe, and that the law that she was citing requires the Secretary of State to have quote reasonable ground to believe the person's presence or activities in the United States would have potentially serious adverse foreign policy.
Speaker 1: Consequences for the United States.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm quoting now from fire dot org, the Foundation for Individual Rights and expression, which is like a sane ACLU, And I support them heavily, and I'm a bit of a free speech extremists myself, so I like it even when I disagree with them, that they're kind of in the great tug of war trying to tug US toward free speech, not away from it. Having said that, I'm surprised the Administration made this the big first case of this, because there are plenty of people who have been openly violent and smashed stuff and broken stuff.
Speaker 1: But is it the difference being a US citizen or not? If if he was a US citizen born here, he could say all this stuff and he'd be in the clear.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, well yeah, it's that's a hell of a question to ask. With three seconds left in the segment, it's the matter with
Speaker 10: You is Armstrong and Getty