Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, you guys, I.
Speaker 2: Know it's weird, exactly what we were hoping for.
Speaker 4: We really opened it.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 5: We are here on Still the Place with our friend Grant show.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about you, by the way, well.
Speaker 3: Sorry in a good way.
Speaker 5: We were so excited to have you on as our first guest for the podcast. Your character was the bridge to launch Melrose Place, bridging from nine two to oh, and it just made perfect sense that we to talk to you first, and we were so excited to so.
Speaker 2: Grant, I don't even know on the nine O two one oh show, were you a regular there?
Speaker 4: Did you come in at the end of it?
Speaker 3: No, they cast me from Melow's Place, and then knowing that they were going to put that character on nine on two to zero sort of to springboard Melrose Place. It wasn't the spin off, It wasn't you know, any of that kind of thing. It was like they knew this all going in. And then I did three episodes of nine two and oh and you played Jake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what was your how did you get tied up with the high school.
Speaker 3: I was like building a gazebo for Kelly's family in her backyard building and then what would now be illegal and.
Speaker 4: We're going to be talking about that is the age.
Speaker 5: Yes, we don't blame you for that.
Speaker 4: Personally.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we only kissed, but still, you know, not good.
Speaker 1: No, we were saying that when we were watching the pilot and I thought it had been so long, and I thought, as you guys are coming to kiss, I thought, well, surely he's going to say, oh, I couldn't possibly are too young? And then you're kissing him, Like, oh my god, Yeah.
Speaker 6: We all hot?
Speaker 3: Is it that we are more sort of and maybe rightly so? I don't want to put a judgment more to the other on it, but like more prudish now than thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we definitely we thought weird.
Speaker 2: I mean my whole body was just like, oh god, this is so not right because we're here in twenty twenty four. And then we talked to Jenny Garth because we did their podcast, and we asked, how did you feel doing that? Did it feel like he was too old for you?
Speaker 3: She's like, no, well we weren't We were relatively contemporaries. I mean were we were actually both adults, So.
Speaker 5: She was over eighteen and then she was just eighteen and she said, didn't she you know, so just eighteen?
Speaker 3: That's not that crazy and real life, but it's not.
Speaker 1: It's the high school thing. Like I was watching the scene in the second episode when you're being so sweet at the door. You weren't a physical mismatch like you guys were a gorgeous couple. It's the high school thing that's the thing that's hard.
Speaker 3: To get it right. Like she he was I don't know, twenty five, and she was seventeen or sixteen, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Any getting younger every time.
Speaker 3: Well, now you think put it in those terms, it's like it that's creepy.
Speaker 2: So were you at ten or twenty years? That's what everything is now? Like the husband's sixty and the wife's thirty eight or something.
Speaker 5: And were you aware of the weirdness, like we asked you to watch the episode before coming here and that did it bring that back?
Speaker 1: Or like has that all?
Speaker 2: Has that beened something in her mind about.
Speaker 3: That at all? Really, because she was a grown up, ptent professional actress, I didn't really think much of it at the time we were shooting. When I watched it, I was like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's what we're finding is like watching the episodes now, so many of the things we can't even remember. But also just it just straight it just hits different now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean, and also like this was the first year, it was different than what the show became. I think I liked it. I liked the lot of what happened in that episode was kind of corny and a little hokey in places, but for the most part, I thought it was a really solid episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we're saying. It was really sweet. So what was your auditioning process, Like, do you remember it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I know. I think that they had seen like like literally thousands of guys, and I remember I don't remember my auditions. I think it was kind of normal. You know, you go and do you do your initial and then you do another one for you know whoever that next level level is, and then the one for the producers, and then then then your screen test. I think that was relatively normal. But I do remember while I was doing that, I'm auditioning for other things all over town, and they were holding auditions for Jake. Almost everywhere I went. It was like, there's more auditions for Jake. There's more, Yeah, they really it was a wide like.
Speaker 1: Where would it be if it wasn't at the studio?
Speaker 3: You know. I just remember like being at other places being thinking this is odd that there were auditions.
Speaker 1: And then do you remember the meeting is Jake that he was Jake?
Speaker 4: Do you remember meeting Aaron and what that was like? Was it his office? Probably?
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't meet like like I know Andrew did. I don't know if you guys did. I did not meet him like that. He was in the screen test room with everyone else like him. I'm sure I shook his hand, but I don't remember. It wasn't like I didn't go to his office until I was on the show really unless the screen test was there. It was so long ago. Do you remember that couch?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That went on forever and then turned the corner.
Speaker 5: The world's most giant sectional couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, in the cigar the cigar it was.
Speaker 3: An orange couch, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Was it orange or like brick red?
Speaker 3: It was in that it was this weird like early sixties, late fifties color classic.
Speaker 2: Wow, and did you so?
Speaker 5: You said you were auditioning for a bunch of other stuff, like did you did you? Was this the role you wanted? Were you like there.
Speaker 3: Was another job? I don't know. I don't remember if I actually had an option to take it or not, but there was a medical show that either they were about to get into the screen test negotiation for or it was like I kind of had to make a choice between the two. It was an obvious choice. It was not going to do some unknown, untested medical show. When this show we knew was it Partners?
Speaker 1: Does that sound familiar?
Speaker 3: That sure does?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, because my audition story bringing it back to me finally was that that I didn't I auditioned, audition, didn't get it, and then they said we're going to put you on something, And they gave me the script for Milor's place, a stack of scripts.
Speaker 3: You didn't get Partners?
Speaker 1: You were that you were like, they were like, we want him for both, so you win this story.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know that they wanted me because it's too long ago in my brain, but it was like it was in there.
Speaker 1: It wasn't back and back did you know that week when you're back and back and back for that show. I wonder, I wonder if we did cross paths and we just don't remember you were having the same sort of.
Speaker 2: Ye drama escalating Grant. I'm wondering if you felt this part of Jake. And I don't know how much they had you read or there was to read, but if you felt like a similarity to you, is that why you resonated, you think, or.
Speaker 3: Or just it is probably why I got the job because I was an angry young man and so was Jake, and you know, I mean I think it just I don't know that I was aware of that, or maybe it would have been so angry and your abs.
Speaker 5: I think you were cast for your abs on.
Speaker 3: The motorc Well, I've been riding motorcycles since I was like ten, Okay, so I don't believe I owned one at the time I got the show. But as soon as I got the show.
Speaker 4: I couldn't afford it. So then you got the show, then you bought a hand.
Speaker 3: I mean immediately, it is the first thing I did.
Speaker 1: I let you drive it to work.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They never said a word to me about it. Wow, they never did. I was kind of surprised, But that's amazing because I would have been like, you know, f off, but you know I'm going to ride my bike. Wow, because you had one too, I did.
Speaker 4: I got one much later after I rode with you on yours.
Speaker 2: I told the story last time of the Then I wanted my own, no offense, but I got those sports stores.
Speaker 3: I just got rid of my bike that I bought that. Yeah, well not just maybe three or four years ago, I guess long as my daughter's ten. The first time I got on it after my daughter was born, I was done.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wasn't scared. It wasn't like I was afraid of getting injured. And none of those thoughts came in my head. It just was like, this isn't fun anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I get's interesting.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even that clear. It just was this is no longer.
Speaker 2: Fun, yea, yeah, everything changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you were when you did the part on nine or two and O did you three episodes on nine two and oh? How did that feel going on to that set? What was that set?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: You know, I never watched that show. I just knew how big the hype was. And Luke like we both our first jobs were across the hall from each other in New York. So I'd known Luke for a very long time. We dated the same woman. Oh not at the same time, almost at the same time. So like I'd known him for a long time. So that was he was welcoming, and that was made things a little easier, you know. But you're also like thirty and cocky and you know, think you have like so I wasn't intimidated. I was like, I probably thought I was overqualified.
Speaker 1: Like they have me.
Speaker 5: Well, it was it was clear that you were older, yeah too and.
Speaker 1: Staid like that. Yeah, maybe not feel like a little bit more some of the older castmates. I mean, wasn't Iron in his late twenties been?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was thirty, so old was Luke wasn't?
Speaker 4: Aren't you guys?
Speaker 3: I think he? I think they were all like four or five years show.
Speaker 5: Okay, And so you mentioned you had been on a show, you'd been working in New York and so where like where were you? Like, where was your career?
Speaker 3: I went so late to study theater arts because they didn't have any idea what to do. I was like, well, they have a theater arts program. At it's UCLA. It's in LA and you know that's where they make movies. So I went there and in my last quarter I was auditioning just to get practice, and I got a soap opera in New York. I thought it was like three months because I had such a crap agent he misinformed me. I went there, started the three months and they were like, you know, you know, you're here for three years. So I finished out that contract, went to London, study for a year, came back from London, started doing theater out of New York. And then occasionally I would go out. I'd get a job in LA. I like a small job. I'd go out in LA and do that job. Then I come back to New York and spend all my money because it's so expensive there. Eventually, like nineteen ninety, I think, so this is the first job was in eighty two, I believe. And then in nineteen ninety I moved to LA and that's when all like it's like wow, there's all these pilots, which weren't all casting in New York. So it was like, you know, two years of constantly, you know, either auditioning or getting a pilot. That doesn't go. I think I did. I think I got a pilot each year that didn't go.
Speaker 2: And then finally, so you're really like New York and London trained Lambda Lamba right, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: New York And did you do a lot of theater in New York?
Speaker 3: I did? I got I did thea that cast out of New York and then went outside, like I did some theater in North Carolina, North Carolina and Cleveland and you know, anyway, just around. I did one show. I did one Broadway show that I understand on and I was the only understudy that didn't get to go on. I understudied Matt Dylan in a play about Vietnam called The Boys of Winter. Oh okay, Don Moffett and oh yeah sounds righting Raims.
Speaker 1: Wow, Matt Dylan, Would you want to do that now or do you want to go back into theater.
Speaker 3: I'd love to And you did do some Yeah, I've gone back back and forth, and it was crazy. It was twenty years ago the last time I did professional theater. I was like shocked when I went to re up my equity membership, like, oh my god, yeah, it's just I'd love to. It's just it's like I'm living in Atlanta right now, and it's.
Speaker 1: Hard, it's impractical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a ten year old and my wife is on a show, and yeah, you know so I'm interested. Yeah, and I'm pushing in that direction. I don't see that. I don't see the path yet for it.
Speaker 2: You can't really make plans in this business, can you. Everything just changes.
Speaker 1: Well, even talking about pilot season. There used to be a pilot season like that's gone. That used to make sense. I was talking to a friend of mine whose son's an actor. Now they did six episodes and they had him on hold for eighteen months, like we used to have. You knew by July if you'd be working the next year. The rules are all gone now.
Speaker 4: It's do they pay him for those?
Speaker 3: All those?
Speaker 1: He did not pay him for those.
Speaker 3: In our last contract. Yeah, well I did, because you know that you do now nowadays they're doing like a streamer show. You could do eighty's and even if you do eight for four years, they want to hold you. And that when eight episodes takes what three and a half four months? Yeah, then you want to hold.
Speaker 2: You for the twelve You cannot. I can't make a living in that anymore.
Speaker 4: Things were different back then. Another that's a major.
Speaker 1: Well, well, that's one of the things we're talking about. When when we did the first episode, was doing thirty two episodes a year. That's so insane. Now we're so lucky, as hard as it was, like, we're so lucky we did that and made that money because now it's even if you're a regular in a series, it can be hard to make a living, which is crazy, but we really lucked out in the timing.
Speaker 3: I can't believe crazy. I did five years on the remake of Dynasty. We just wrapped. Yeah, two years ago we did twenty two and that that's a lot, truly. Yeah, yes, so thirty two. I'm amazed we were that much younger.
Speaker 1: We had energy, Yeah, yeah, because we and the cast got bigger and bigger and bigger. Remember like one year, I think we had fourteen regular cast members. So then you got some some space.
Speaker 5: So what is your recollection like when you first started Melrose, Like, do you remember like meeting the rest of the cast and what was your take and what do you what do you.
Speaker 3: Remember when we all went to the soundstage for the first time and we saw that they had dug a swimming pool into the stage and we were all like, Okay, we're gonna be here for him.
Speaker 4: Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well, we were sold for thirteen. I remember when we shot the credits. Yes, I remember meeting everybody on Melrose at Johnny Rocketts.
Speaker 3: You remember, no o.
Speaker 5: You remember that to tell us all about So.
Speaker 3: We were standing on the corner right in front of Johnny Rockets.
Speaker 4: Do we think he was like his character?
Speaker 3: Some guy pulls up on his motor right on the corner. Some guy pulls up on his motorcycle right next to the curve, and he starts reving his engine, and you guys all started kind of laughing. And I looked over and I went, I went, hey, they're laughing at you, not with you. Remember anyway, what they're laughing at you? Not with you?
Speaker 5: So you picked a fight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he jumped office fight. He gets in my face. I'm look, I'm working right now, and see all those guys over there. All those guys are with me. So you might want to wait till we've done work in and then you can finish this. He goes and he sits down at Giant Rockets and he waits. He starts waiting, and then I find out that it is the son of this actor who is like one of the most like cool, macho like dudes, Steve McQueen, Steve mcca.
Speaker 5: Okay, but wait a second, he's stuck around fight.
Speaker 3: No, no, I find out that Steve McQueen's son.
Speaker 5: How did you find that part out?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Somebody told me, and I'm like, I'm not gonna fight with Steve McQueen's you had the back, I'm not going to do it. It's like, I'm not He's like one of my biggest heroes ever. So I went over and I told him, I said, listen, I'm not going to fight you. You might as well just go home. It's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: Did you apologize?
Speaker 2: We would, you know, Chad McQueen is who it was.
Speaker 3: Years later we had run into each other and you know, we we made you know, we hugged it out and nice.
Speaker 2: That's an amazing Hollywood story, just like shooting on the side.
Speaker 4: On Melrose Avenue. You guys were shooting.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, and that you almost got a fight with Steve McQueen's son, who's just hanging out on motorcycle and you're shooting your TV show.
Speaker 1: Nobody really were. It was one of those things where people were filming us, so they were like, who are you were on the show, and then they would take pictures with us, even and they had had cameras, there were no phones. People wanted to take pictures just in case, just in case. Obviously we were then just in case we came. But I remember feeling pretty cool and all walking.
Speaker 3: Yes, we spent we spent a month doing pre publicity for that show. Remember like all that stuff up in like Tapanga or wherever it was with that we did for that magazine and all those super cool shots that we did.
Speaker 1: And but that was after it started taking on.
Speaker 3: Was it no? No, because because Amy was in that Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember shooting was Entertainment Weekly, Yeah, and that was I think I might have that somewhere. I should find that.
Speaker 3: I think it was even before the air show this show aired.
Speaker 4: I think so did a lot of Entertainment Weekly.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of you're right, they were so excited because we were a spin off. There was all this buzz and then it's sort of like fizzled until Heather came came on. And then that really the Heather came on and and Michael. That was funny watching the second episode, is that you were so angry and Michael was so nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then as you become like the tough guy with the heart of gold, and he becomes just like the bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fun to see where we started. Wasn't it fun to watch?
Speaker 3: It was? It was really really fun to watch. I had a lot of big emotions.
Speaker 1: Actually, what were your big emotions?
Speaker 3: Just a lot of like real nostalgia, and there was like such a it was such a time of potential, and you know that just that reliving that feeling of potential was just really you know, had a lot of like and you know, as you're in your sixties now, it's like their potential has changed. So there was a lot of like like joy and also loss in the sense that that doesn't exist anymore and it can't exist anymore, but also the joy of having had it. It was just a lot of really big.
Speaker 2: Emotion, really good point grant, really insightful. I feel like and I'm not even have we've only watched too but I did see a few before it, and I feel like the same, you know, and that she was so young while seeing myself and I'm watching We're watching Courtney now and you guys. But to relate to yourself that way, it is, it's pretty profound, because it was profound. I lately I've been seeing time as like people that were losing people our age are a little bit that we used to look up to. You know, they're dying, you know, we're getting older and the life and the life, I mean, the world has changed so much.
Speaker 4: But to go back and see it.
Speaker 3: Through youth and so well recorded and so seminal a time in my life, so you know, I have deep emotional memories about it. Yeah, it's a big deal.
Speaker 5: Well it's exceptional that we even have the video footage of those years in our lives, which are for everyone such an important period of time. Yeah, but it's captured on film and we get to go back and look at it.
Speaker 3: And it was a huge social event, you know what I mean. We were involved in something that not a lot of people get to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm a nostalgia. I don't have the sad part. I feel like because I feel like I can look back at that time and it was such a sweet time. I'm so much happier now in my life and in myself, like I also see my insecurity and my fear, and I go, wow, it's so nice to be older and grounded and in my body. And I really do, like I love my life so much. I almost felt like I couldn't quite be in it because I wasn't quite in my body yet at that time.
Speaker 4: Nobody in their twenty eight seeing.
Speaker 1: You guys now getting to spend the time see you today, spend the time with I'm Lauren Dafney. It's so nice to be together, like as friends without the noise, because there was so much noise. There's so much attention and noise and this like created competitiveness that isn't here now. It's like, I'm just so happy to be with you guys. So it's nice to get too.
Speaker 3: Do you mean competitiveness between you guys, because I never saw any of that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but I felt this need to prove myself. There was sort of like this this intensity and this competitiveness was from the outside in. But there were publicists and stories and this kind of stuff, and I just don't have that anymore. I'm just happy to spend this time and connect with you guys. So that's my overwhelming feeling, which is so like I'm watching it and I'm texting Andrew, and my real feeling about this is I'm so excited that we all get to spend time together again now that we're all in such a different suite place in our lives. So for me, it wasn't like there's all this potential I felt. I think I felt more pressure then that I don't feel now like I'm really enjoying my life today in a way I couldn't then because I was like, oh am I going to be What's going to happen? It's like and I was like, I'm good, It's good, I'm good. This is so much fun to be together and do this.
Speaker 2: That is a gift of getting older, isn't it. Yes, I mean that is.
Speaker 4: It's just there.
Speaker 2: I just want to say that if there's any I know, most of our fans are probably our age.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm your age.
Speaker 2: You guys are younger, yeah, a lot younger, just a little bit. Well, but I feel like our fans are kind of our age. I mean there is a younger group too that I think watches. But you know, I just hope that everyone, I think that everyone in our audience being that age, they feel the same thing, which is partially why I was excited about doing this. You know that we all deserve a little reprieve from the world today and like to go back and to when we all have potential, when we're all we're young and and watching Meloe's Place and just the nineties in general, there's just a projection that it was easier and lighter and colorful. And I don't know, that's what I that's what I project onto those times from the outside the nineties, you know, and like you goofed up, but that was taken care of and there'd be next week and I don't know, things were just it's just to me, that's a that's a gift of this podcast at this age, to your point to enjoy with the audience. Does anyone know what I'm saying with the audience to go back to a time nostalgia, you know, And.
Speaker 5: I think we've talked about it before that like what's specific about watching this show is that people it evokes where they were in their life at that time, because they weren't they were watching it with someone and they were watching it at a certain time. And so I know we've all heard from friends like Wow, just watching those episodes brings back a lot for the audience too, because they'll say, I remember where I was and who I was watching with at that time, and it brings them back to their era of the twenties and so like we were going through what we were going through as people, but we were also going through show together. So to have that memorialized on screen that we get to revisit it and stuff.
Speaker 2: I think the nostalgia is well and.
Speaker 3: I think anytime you're having a deeply nostalgic moment, it's going to be bittersweet.
Speaker 2: Anytime, Yeah, because it's gone.
Speaker 3: And our memories of things are always heightened. Like I believe we always remember things as better than they were in a way because you forget, you drop, I do. I drop all the sort of negative stuff and I hold on to the kind of positive stuff. So nostalgia has that, but it's also it's always very bittersweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: How do you do you feel like Melrose specifically? Do you think it changed your life? Like, how do you think it changed your life? What was that?
Speaker 3: Like? What about you guys? But it turns it it dictated the rest of my career. You know, not necessarily for better or for worse. But I had a career. I was going to work continued as long as I put the effort in. I was going to continue to work for as long as I wanted to because of Melrose Place.
Speaker 1: Do you find because I find still that's what people remember me from. Like if someone says to me, like, you look familiar, I could list the things I've done in order I just go Malro's place.
Speaker 4: So well, that's it.
Speaker 1: Like, because it was, like we've talked about, was a time in their lives. I lived in that apartment, I watched it with my friends, I watched it in college. It's like a part they have nostalgia for, not just that time in their lives, but the show and what the show meant connected to their college, high school experience.
Speaker 3: It was sort of the last era of you know, watercooler television.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do you find that that's what people recognize?
Speaker 3: It depends in the age group, Like, yeah, because I did Dynasty for so long. Like anybody like I don't know, thirty five, forty or younger, they're going to say Dynasty.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, oh that's fast.
Speaker 2: So you know, if they're your age or if they're yeah, you know that much be the agent.
Speaker 5: Are you finding those to be also the same audience, like do they know you from Dynasty and from Momos or is it oh no, they discovered you.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they are younger because Dynasty was CW.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was mostly Netflix, which we.
Speaker 4: Got to join you on, Laura.
Speaker 3: Literally, don't make people watch it on CW. Seriously, two hundred and fifty thousand. Wow, I know right.
Speaker 1: Well, you said that's big Internationally it was big.
Speaker 4: I think it Soflix.
Speaker 3: On Netflix it would consistently be every time it dropped, it would be in the top ten for like a month.
Speaker 1: Crazy, that's so cool every time it dropped meaning a new season. Yeah, oh was it fun? Did it feel Melrose placy at all?
Speaker 3: Not at all?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Because no one watched it in America, so like we didn't get any of that. Like it was very It was an international show, but the.
Speaker 1: Drama, the sort of heightened drama, didn't have the same feels a.
Speaker 3: No, it's yeah and no, it had a very it was very different feel. We were we were self aware, whereas Meldoe's place was not. So we knew we were doing tongue in cheek in some comedy. We would do the exact storylines of the original show from our own perspective. Yeah, yeah, I mean, like you know the story where it was kidnapped baby and it was taken up to the building and we're all on the roof of the building and then the baby the person who kidnapped the baby was crazy, threw the baby off the roof and it turns out it was a doll. We did the whole thing exactly like that. It was crazy standing on top of a roof in the middle of Atlanta in the middle of winter. It was freezing cold, so throwing dog it was a doll. It was a doll.
Speaker 2: Well, Graham, let's use that segue. What about our storylines? But were some of them one of the ones that stood out for you? For Melrose's place for Jake, Oh my, I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: You remember being in the middle of the ocean because my boat grew up?
Speaker 4: There was a boat. Yeah, there's a boat explosion. Yeah, the blew up.
Speaker 3: She had a lot of bad luck.
Speaker 1: On the show. Jake had romances with each of us.
Speaker 3: You were the first one, and of the people on the show other than Amy and if I'm not mistaken by the.
Speaker 1: Time I before I show, I was at the end.
Speaker 3: No, then we came back around to it. There was something in the beginning of the show, because I remember it was like, oh, I'm going back for seconds.
Speaker 4: Sloppy second.
Speaker 2: I believe me.
Speaker 4: Joe I was your life.
Speaker 3: That's right, it was.
Speaker 4: But then she came on.
Speaker 1: You guys were together.
Speaker 3: But she came on the season middle of season one, right.
Speaker 1: Listen together before Billy and.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was some flirtation catalyst. I think it might have been. There was some I don't remember exactly, but I know I.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to get to those episodes.
Speaker 3: That sounds right to me. It sounds to me like maybe there was some flirtation with you and I and that's what got Billy to come around, similar to his flirtation with what was her name in the episode two.
Speaker 2: That Marcy the taxi girl so furious about it. She was great, she was great the last episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, but Corney's running into her.
Speaker 1: I've run into a probably thirty times since the show, and remember each other from meloth I run under her everything.
Speaker 3: She was terrific.
Speaker 5: We're giving her all sorts of props and yes, Jensen Jensen Daggett.
Speaker 3: Okay, what a name.
Speaker 4: But we'll have to.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm so glad we have the opportunity to rewatch all of our episodes so we can clarify these storylines, because obviously we all have questions. You have a recollection, like I think I was.
Speaker 1: With think Jake was with everybody in the apartment.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure at some point, for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh so sure it was in my contract.
Speaker 2: But by the way, we kept talking about Jake as a stand up guy. That's like Laura's favorite thing. He was a stand up guy, but he was a lay down guy. This guy just laid down.
Speaker 5: Well, but he would stick up for people in a way. That's like that was the thing right and wrong and I'm gonna yeah, like defending the lady and in the unemployment office, I.
Speaker 3: Remember that, you do. My daughter was watching with me when that scene came on, and she went, as soon as I pushed that cash, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: No no, doesn't want to see it, doesn't want to see it.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see a fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: It's so funny to see things through the eyes of our children, because they do not feel comfortable watching this or like another version of us that they just don't want to.
Speaker 2: What about you bear chested and she's like, daddy, put some clothes on.
Speaker 3: She's daddy, you got a six pack?
Speaker 2: That is your daughter? Why do you think your shirt was off?
Speaker 4: Okay, we have a.
Speaker 2: Question because I don't remember seeing this, But did you ever work out or do those push ups that guys would do like before?
Speaker 3: No, we never did.
Speaker 4: That, worked with and they'll do push ups right before.
Speaker 1: Well no, because we had these genetically gifted guys like Grant and Andrew. You eat nine doughnuts and then go do a topless just so your body just doesn't make found.
Speaker 3: It still doesn't.
Speaker 1: I'm still oh you poor baby, Yeah, you poor, how you suffer.
Speaker 3: It is a little different, though, it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, all.
Speaker 5: Right, weren't Yeah, let me let me get.
Speaker 2: A violin because Grant six packs all these year thirty years later.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit different anyway.
Speaker 5: So okay, so you remember the boat blowing up and shooters like burns, something burned.
Speaker 2: Down the motorcycle motorcycle shop, yeahtorcycle shop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe shooters stick stuck around. Maybe nothing happened to shooters.
Speaker 2: That was like the last thing I remember the motorcycle shop burned down to dineer somewhere.
Speaker 5: Did you take anything, did you keep anything? Do you have any like memorabilia, keep sakes, anything like clothes?
Speaker 3: I mean I had a basement full of you know, Melose place bags and melos place CDP players place hats in Melos place. You know that felt followed me around for decades. Yeah, right, I just had that kind of crap. And I didn't take anything of the set.
Speaker 5: I think my sister in law still has shooters glasses in her cabinet.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she inherited those.
Speaker 3: See. I was fascinated by, like when I found out about all the art installation stuff that was stuck in there. Although yes, no idea they tricked us those people the only time they tricked us on that whole show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only time, the only time, what do you.
Speaker 3: Mean art installations? Installations was like I think was like.
Speaker 4: Political t shirts.
Speaker 5: But Mattah in the art department would just like slip down it.
Speaker 3: But it was but it was a whole big plan with the like they'd come to them and the producers were aware of it, and it was a whole.
Speaker 2: I feel like back then, I don't know about these nonprofits that you're talking about, but like, don't you remember a product placement was like a new thing and they just took everything because it was like free money, you know, Evyon Bottles and just product was like a thing back then, and then it got really into it and then.
Speaker 4: Before you know it, I remember like, hold.
Speaker 2: This Dunkin Donuts like this, So they can't.
Speaker 3: Do that on that show.
Speaker 4: No, no, we didn't do it. It was very limit somewhere.
Speaker 2: I remember Denise used to get like jewelry from all the new you know, jewelry makers and all the new designers would send us those clothes and all that.
Speaker 4: But do you.
Speaker 1: Guys remember that at about ten thirty every morning they'd bring out a tub of tuna fish? Oh yes, I remember that.
Speaker 5: That choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you came in late, and if you were in it when it came out, you sort of adjusted it. If you came in at like eleven, you.
Speaker 4: Who don'ty minutes?
Speaker 3: You all? I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't don't memory because that's not a.
Speaker 2: Last starving by then, but we're like, if you have a love scene, please, but the crew were starving you know.
Speaker 1: Just like remember Heather been Jack trying to eat the most disgusting thing before they're kissing.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Heather recently?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: You have?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh wow, we've been. We're going to see you in Florida. It'll be great.
Speaker 2: We're going to do just for those listening, we're going to be doing a nineties con in Daytona, Florida, September thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth that weekend. I'll just pop that in.
Speaker 5: It's a little fun. So what do you remember about shooting that scene or just that shot of the refrigerator opening and the light coming out of there.
Speaker 3: I don't remember much. I was saying, like I know that, I don't remember if it was even in a scene. I don't remember if it was like let's shoot some stuff for the for the title sequence, or if that was pulled from a scene. I I just don't remember.
Speaker 4: We'll look for it.
Speaker 5: That's worth well, now it's unforgettable.
Speaker 2: Did they tell you that was going to be on every thing shot?
Speaker 3: It was like one of those they were constantly having to do that stuff. Like I remember standing over an air conditioning unit with the air.
Speaker 5: Blowing on and they had to put like probably a special light in the fridge for when you opened.
Speaker 1: It, like like the like yeah, watching the pilot episode and then later on Andrew opens a refrigerator door, I'm like, nice, nice everything.
Speaker 2: Ever it is Melrose places.
Speaker 1: We know they're throwing extra jackets on us, like you can wear a sheet. Hey, guys, take your shirt off.
Speaker 5: We were surprised to find that the guys were in a constant state of shirtlessness.
Speaker 3: Episode, Like, I do remember being shirtless a lot, but I don't remember being this shirt everyone.
Speaker 1: About at a certain point, at a certain point you said I'm not doing another scene in the shower. I remember you guys saying enough enough ready, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just like better them than me, Like yeah, he could face that way.
Speaker 1: Aaron Spelling knew like he knew what the audience was and he and.
Speaker 4: I think the star probably something to do.
Speaker 1: No, but it was pretty clothes on the women, yeah for sure, and no hats on the men was kind of the note.
Speaker 3: It just made me think of something else. It shot a whole lot better than I remember it being shot too. Yes, I'm surprised. I was surprised at how well it was shot. It was film that's true, But I'm just talking about how the shots were set up. I remember being cran close ups like this, but it wasn't later.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the beginning, remember Later it was over to close up, over to close up. So in this second episode, do you remember the scene when you had your sunglasses on?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Do you remember if that was your choice? Because you were thinking that was and then Aaron, no more sunglasses ever, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I remember something about I don't remember who it was. You were a hat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, at gum because of the famous Barbis Dreisen's story of faking having gum. I'm like, I'm going to show them I'm really from New York. I'm going to be chewing gum and wearing a hat, I guess. And Aaron was like, whatever that is, get rid of it.
Speaker 4: We're reshooting.
Speaker 3: And then also we had a scene where we were shooting in the pool and there were extras there, and then that came back. No no, no, no no no, the only people at this pool.
Speaker 5: Well, we will be having you back. We are so glad that you flew out and come and sit on the couch and shot with us until next time.
Speaker 2: I'm still the place