Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? We are here at Are You a Charlotte with the fantastic guests Mario kntone and we are going to rewatch episode one oh nine. It's called The Turtle and the Hair and it is directed by Michael Fields. This is the second episode directed by mister Fields, who unfortunately I have.
Speaker 2: No memory of. I'm very sorry, mister Fields. And it is written by Nicole Averrel and Sue Klensky.
Speaker 3: Oh, I did stand up comedy. We know both of them who I think I've met.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we worked together many times with while Michael was at the club at.
Speaker 3: The Okay, so there's a connection.
Speaker 2: This is the season when our writers weren't really with us necessarily. They were they had written in La. Darren had had a writer's room in La and scripts would come and we wouldn't necessarily meet them, unlike every other year. Right and Jenny.
Speaker 3: At this point we.
Speaker 2: Rewatched last episode one eight with Jenny. That was her first Jenny Biggs, that was her first episode. And she reminded me that she had been a consultant, she'd been brought on, she'd been uh, that was her episode to right, and then she was a consultant, so it was her, Darren and Michael in a room, which is kind of amazing to think about it. And I hadn't really remembered that she had been around the first season, which is kind of a.
Speaker 3: Jenny after Sex and the City put me on two seasons of men in trees.
Speaker 5: No way, come on.
Speaker 6: Yeh.
Speaker 3: She was great.
Speaker 2: She's the best. Okay, So this is a very interesting episode. Saw all the episodes in the first season, right, so as you know, all of us are in it, and then we have we start at this crazy wedding.
Speaker 3: Didn't it look like it was the eighties? Yeah? Well yeah, I mean because it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the eighties, but I mean the colors in the room and the and also we had no money. Like at one point, Samantha goes to a restaurants just supposedly the talk of the town, and I'm like, what what.
Speaker 3: Is that restaurant?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the bar, and yeah, it's like the saddest talk of the town restaurant I've ever seen. But we had no money in the beginning compared to you know, later and now especially but you know, luckily now we have people asking us to film at the super cool restaurant because we're still recovering, you know, the restaurant business.
Speaker 3: But back in the day not so much.
Speaker 2: No one knew who we were or what we were doing. So we begin at this wedding where a character named Brooke not played by myself.
Speaker 3: A little bit confusing because I have previously.
Speaker 2: Played a character named Brook for Darren, but Noah is not me. She's getting married, but Carrie thinks that she's getting married to someone who she doesn't really love, and this begins the thematic conversation of is everyone in New York settling in their relationships? Which is a really good conversation to have and a very very important, I.
Speaker 3: Think conversation to say.
Speaker 2: In my mind, obviously I'm single, but in my mind, you should never settle, like I do not think that you should settle. You know, people are not yes, and I love There's this one moment. I'm just gonna talk to you about it now. I sometimes go out of order. There's this one moment where Carrie goes out with the bride after the wedding to return some wedding gifts, and she's still trying to figure out like, is she happy?
Speaker 3: Is she not happy?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Is she pleased with her decision or not?
Speaker 2: If she doesn't really love the guy, which doesn't seem like she's passionately in love. And she says something like what does it feel like to be married? And the broke character says, it feels like.
Speaker 3: A weight has been lifted? And I felt that.
Speaker 2: I felt that, And isn't that crazy that I would still feel that today in twenty twenty five, And I know that things have changed about this, but like, we are so socialized that you have to be paired up in.
Speaker 3: Whatever way that is.
Speaker 2: It might be married, it might not be married, whatever it is, it is a social situation where people want an explanation if you are not paired.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, and it is stressful.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it is.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it is right, especially for I think, well back in my day, especially for straight people.
Speaker 3: He were gay, they were like whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, But then gay marriage became acceptable. And I don't know, do you feel that pressure now you've been married for a long time, do you feel like that pressure?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I never felt that pressure because I just I'm a coupler. It definitely was always a coupler. I wanted to be with somebody, right, Yeah, But when I met Jerry, it was you know, nineteen ninety I met him and I was with someone else at the time, and then we were friends for a year and half and then I went when I broke up with my ex site we started to get together like six months later. It just accelerated into that. But it's yeah, I mean I didn't settle.
Speaker 3: I knew.
Speaker 2: Go on, Oh he's awesome. He didn't settle at all. Oh no, okay, so wait, this is okay. So first of all, let me talk about how we look at the wedding, because what's going on with all of our hairs.
Speaker 4: My hair, it's so you but in that corner with all the weekends insane, it is ads right, it is as.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that. What were we thinking? And you looked all kind of like like there was a slight like.
Speaker 2: Punk thing, and we talk about like that were and then they when they cut towards at the kids table o, My god, I almost fell out.
Speaker 3: Because this still happens to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's rough to go to a wedding at this point because I'm like, if I have to sit with those children. Oh, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know what I'm to do. I don't really don't want to do that, but you know, sometimes people do get married, and I do feel like I should go, So we'll see. But when coming up, I'm sure she's not. I mean, if I'm sitting with my own kids, it's.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, sure. Don't you hate when they mix you up to the separate you. Why are you doing that? That's not right. No, that's not right. People.
Speaker 2: I want to get to a situation, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Right, they can be.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we're at this woman Brooks wedding and we're we're at.
Speaker 3: The reject table. She's so harsh.
Speaker 2: We've got kids, and then we've got this man, Bernie Turtle Tob who's kind of hysterical. She's known for good investments but bad breath. And I'm really happy. I mean, first of all, Samantha has this whole storyline with him that I found kind of perplexing. I don't remember this at all, right, but I was like, since when does Samantha try to like fix anyone.
Speaker 3: Up and right and settle right.
Speaker 2: Luckily, she comes to she kind of definitely different than we see later, Like like I also thought like, oh, Samantha also is getting kind of worked out, right, because I don't ever remember that.
Speaker 3: I don't ever remember that.
Speaker 2: But the nice thing about when she takes this guy out, she dresses him differently and whatnot, and she tells him that he has bad breath, and he says very sweetly that he's taking these Chinese herbs, which I totally relate to because I have many times in life been taking Chinese IRBs and I probably had Chinese irb breath. I don't know, but he very sweetly says that, and she's like, oh, we can work on that. And it's kind of sweet of her, you know what I mean, Like she's very kind of mother to him.
Speaker 3: And she actually wants to better him, I know.
Speaker 2: And then she gives up.
Speaker 3: He's talking about those mushrooms for too long.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's analyzing the mushrooms in his dish and there's like six possible mushrooms it is, and she's like, maybe no one cares, she says really sweetly, also really sweetly, and he's like, maybe it's chantrelle or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: And then she's like I'm out, which is really true.
Speaker 2: That really man, But that was a very departure type of a Samantha s I felt, right, Also similar to when I mean not similar, but kind of similar. Earlier in the episode, she comes to my I take her home because she's drunk and she lives with my door man. Yeah, yeah, also I mean very Samantha. But also it's funny to see her drunken, like not together, you know what I mean, and Charlotte's trying to take care of her, which is.
Speaker 3: Kind of cute.
Speaker 2: And then this is the Rabbit storyline, when we actually went to the pleasure Chest and filmed.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, we're at the pleasure chest.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny about this episode. I was rewatching it and I had just seen it. Incidentally, I had just seen this episode on HBO, maybe like a month ago, You're kidding, And I was like, I was watching, Wait, I just saw the wow, wow because I remember that you being directed to.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I'm addicted to the Rabbit. Departure for Charlotte, a very departure for a.
Speaker 3: Very different thing for Charlotte. Charlotte is and that's what I saw. I saw the place I thought when I saw.
Speaker 2: It, I just remember, this was my no.
Speaker 3: I know, my hair is.
Speaker 2: A mess, sturdy mean, and I'm wearing green silk.
Speaker 3: What the heck?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 2: And you see like a lot of my apartment, which is not how my apartment was later, and I've got a big wall of books, which I think is super awesome.
Speaker 3: And where do those books go?
Speaker 2: Because now in Charlotte's apartment they're all white, They're wrapped in white paper.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, it's just a design.
Speaker 3: So Charlotte, I.
Speaker 5: Know, so Charlotte.
Speaker 3: Anyway, back then they were all their real bindings, which is cool.
Speaker 2: Charlotte was interesting, but also.
Speaker 3: Kind of mysterious. You're like, where's the real who was the real show? Where is she going? Is going to turn into?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, and we of course know, but back then I don't think she knew right because at first she's like, no, no, vibrator is not going to take you out for your birthday. A vibrator is not going to say I love you. She's like, gives them a little speech at the very sad coffee shop. You're at the real coffee shop in Long Island City, that kind of scary coffee shop, sad and scary.
Speaker 3: Do you remember no, yeah, yeah, I remember? You remember her set?
Speaker 2: The coffee shop is not a set, it's a real in Long Island City, which like in the middle of the warehouses they used to be there.
Speaker 4: She was saying that, you know, it's not going to say I love you, and then all of a sudden, she's she's canceling on.
Speaker 2: That I and she's a bad liar, which is so worse so me.
Speaker 3: I'm a terrible liar, terrible liar.
Speaker 2: They come and bang on my door and then they grabbed the vibrator, which I thought was brave.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I was like they were and I do vaguely remember some conversation, and I also I vividly remember being at the pleasure Chest because I'd never been to the pleasure Chest.
Speaker 3: I was like, I can't believe we're filming here.
Speaker 2: And we had to hold the thing up in our face right like like you know on film, you can't never hold anything down here because they have to cut to an INSTI you have to hold it up.
Speaker 3: It's like right in our face.
Speaker 2: I was like, what all of us it's got the years. I know, it's a crazy situation. It's a crazy situation. Yes, the rabbit was a big deal.
Speaker 3: Turtle in the hair.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know, so I like that departure. But can I tell you what else pops up in my mind?
Speaker 3: This is what I do.
Speaker 2: I free flow my memory and then I'm going to look at my papers. Sara Jessica and I are doing that yoga scene and we're in the top floor of Silver Cup, which was empty at the time. So like if you were to look at those windows, you would see Manhattan in the distance, which we also filmed in last season Evan, just like that, and I believe we actually, no, it was somewhere where we were supposed to be in Brooklyn. I can't remember what thing it was, but we were supposed to be in Brooklyn so we could use the skylight.
Speaker 4: I remember also what I did, the scene I did with with with Sarah Jessica.
Speaker 3: When she was going to buy that apartment. Yeah, it was. They built it. They built it up with the skylight.
Speaker 2: Oh, the one with those with too much se totally, Yes, they built it up there.
Speaker 3: That was that's the same floor.
Speaker 2: Jessica and I had been a yoga teacher before before I got Maler's place and We're up there and it's very cold. They have the air conditioning on too much, and I'm like, you guys, it's too cold.
Speaker 3: You have the sets are often they're having to do a lot of work. I get it.
Speaker 2: But we had to do yoga, and I remember saying like, we need to we need to warm up, we need to warm up, we need to warm up. But Sarah had been a dancer, right, so she's super limber. I'm pretty limber, you know, and we're just doing our stretches. Sarah Jessica pulled a muscle in the back of her leg that I still feel bad about because we had had you had a wretch, But you're acting, right, You're acting and you're not thinking. And I know she's very limber, and I remember just like doing the thing like we were supposed to do, and I just feel like I pulled her too far or something and it hurt her to sit on it on a hard chair for years. No way, like we'd be in a theater scene, you know how we had all those scenes like the fashion show that she was sitting with us. But we'd be sitting somewhere.
Speaker 5: And she'd be like, oh, and I just feel terrible.
Speaker 2: Terrible bad. She I don't think she blames me, but I still feel bad. I still feel bad. But I love that scene. It's a really fun scene. And we look like little children obviously, which is really funny. Okay, back at the wedding. We're at the wedding. I mean, man, oh man, I don't even know what to make of it. Like when you look at people. You know, let's just talk about women right now for a second. Let's leave gay men out of it. For gay women, let's talk about with straight women. Yeah, do you feel like there's pressure to settle and get married and have the thing, the big wedding?
Speaker 3: And you know, still I still do. I do. Thick times have changed, but I do. Also there's I don't know if there's social pressure.
Speaker 4: I guess there is some social pressure pressure, but there's a lot of inner pressure that women put on themselves.
Speaker 2: Because we've been socialized.
Speaker 3: They think that this wouldn't be supposed to be, that it's going to make you happy.
Speaker 2: When if you had a friend that you felt was settling to get that marriage, you know, would you say something.
Speaker 4: No, I would you know, after they were divorced, I'd be like, I never liked them, but you know beforehand, I can No, it's.
Speaker 2: Too delicate, it's difficult, and I really have.
Speaker 4: To make sure even if they don't get married, you have to make sure they are broken up and they are never getting back together again.
Speaker 2: Say anything, yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't want to create problem. No, you don't want them to be mad at you, right, Yes, I know it's rough though. I don't ever say anything about anything because I don't I don't really know what's going on in that relation.
Speaker 3: Whip don't right, it's.
Speaker 4: Look and the rule to one's relationship is none of anybody's business, and there are different rules to different people's relationships.
Speaker 2: That is a very very good point. We cut back to Carrie and she's typing in her adorable way. I just love it so much. Then she calls big And and she asks him why did he get married? And I have to say this, I've been on a very big journey with big rewatching the first season because I just can't believe how he is to her, Like he's just.
Speaker 3: So yes, not giving you know at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, until this episode, I felt like he broke down a little bit more.
Speaker 3: He's a little warmer.
Speaker 2: To her, do you know what I mean, finally, finally, finally, because I think also she's going through this whole thing of like, oh, I'm dating someone who never wants to get married again, should I do? And she actually has to contemplate all these things and then he has to kind of like reach out to her rather than her always reaching out to him. None of these things ever occurred to me when we were filming this. Well, you're seeing it totally differently, totally I think because of the times, but also think when you're in it, you're just trying to do it. You know, you're just trying to do it. And Charlotte was so big, so I was.
Speaker 4: During that scene when they called this a split screen, yes, very Brian to Palma's.
Speaker 2: Terror love split screen.
Speaker 3: We loved it and they talk that what did you think of that? You think it was weird? I what? I immediately went, it's a split screen.
Speaker 2: He loved it.
Speaker 3: I liked it. I did. I did like I like look watching it. Like I said to you, I like the tone of it too all I like to talk to so much. Sure does. It's twenty two minutes like bam, bam bam, and you're like, oh, I want more. It's like it's a short twenty two minutes.
Speaker 2: It's very short, I know, and they get so much in there. I know, the writing is so good, so so good, so so good. Okay, So Carry calls Big and she basically says, you know, why did he get married?
Speaker 3: And then he says he was.
Speaker 2: A fool in love, which are just like, what, really, at what age were you a fool in love? Because this is not who we know him to be. And then he says he's never going to get married again. And then would you see her gulp exactly, which is also I think kind of surprising in a way because she's quite the you know, the girl about town.
Speaker 3: Well that's when you know that you really has deep feeling.
Speaker 2: Deep feelings, I know, sweet Carrie. Then so last week we found out that he had been married. Now we're casually finding out. But I do feel like this is how relationships are in the beginning, right, Like people just say stuff like kind of like of course, but in reality, you're you're over on the other side, like what it's a clue. That's a bad clue, you know, like you're nitpicking, a'll not not even nippicking, but you're you're just like accruing details, right, trying to make the picture together. Okay, so then the rest of us are not surprised to hear that Big doesn't want to get married. But I think this is a major bummer, which is so funny because it's something that I would say, now, oh silliness. You wonder if they were paying attention to how I talk. I don't know. But then of course deman that Cared not surprised at all. And then she says, I wasn't even thinking about getting married until I was told I couldn't, and which I think is so true, right, Like you're just on your own tracks, and you're assuming that other people are possibly on that track too, and then you hear that they're not in this shock right because you're just kind of going about things assuming that their possibilities.
Speaker 3: Right. That's not always the case, is right.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like that's a lesson that CARRY learns basically every week with Big.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know and go. It fluctuates too, with her relationship with him. I just went back and forth through the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I know, and like, God, how then you didn't you cently? I only rooted for them and now I'm like.
Speaker 3: Why did I do that? That's do you know what I mean? But that's how it is too.
Speaker 2: I think like sometimes when you're too close, you're not objective, you know what I'm saying. And I also think that they have the chemistry they have and therefore you for them right, exactly right, which is also eventually it just took a very very long time.
Speaker 3: Yes, very very long time. Took a movie.
Speaker 2: It took a movie, and then another kind of I mean, I guess, yeah, but then we didn't. Yeah, anyway, back to the show.
Speaker 3: Back to the show.
Speaker 2: So then I say really adorably that I want my relationship to be based on honesty and communication, which I would.
Speaker 3: Still say, and I'm not wrong, no, like, this is what relationship should be based on. Wants that.
Speaker 2: Characters my character definitely, and I think that's great.
Speaker 3: I'm like the mature voice, which is amazing. You like the voice of reason. I'm the voice of reason.
Speaker 2: And see I never realized that in the beginning. I thought I was always so naive. Well, I mean, there's a way to look at it that I am.
Speaker 3: You are right, but it's but it's different.
Speaker 4: It's you're it's it's you're a little bit more conservative, then that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I'm conservative, right, but there's conservatives also saying conservative in terms of like wants to get married, have kids. Is very open about that. That's the goal, you know from the get go, pretty much right, And obviously we know we know that she comes up against some some difficulties because of that, which is fine because I like that. So then as my producers write, this is the sort of a major storyline, a big not wanting to get married, which honestly I hadn't remembered this either.
Speaker 3: You know, I like no, I mean, well I don't either.
Speaker 2: Because we were in it, you know what I'm saying, And I think I remembered that, then what happens later would have made more sense, right.
Speaker 3: But I also feel and I talked.
Speaker 2: I had Oliver Hudson two episodes again, so sweet.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: And he's done a lot of work on himself, and he's also been married a long time and it was super interesting to talk to him about being a straight guy and what he remembers before he did and also married right, successfully married before and how you know, scared he was of expressing his feelings and communicating openly, and then he learned how important it was and how you do feel so much more. You're much more available to love and all the things that can happen when you're fully present and not you know, with the wall, right, But if you look at Big, the fact that he has this incredible wall up for so long, and somehow she handles it, she does handle it. I don't even know how.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You talk about rooting for someone and hoping they're going to change what she actually did later on, but I.
Speaker 2: Know she waited along, right, But in reality, like now, we would say, like, don't try to change that person.
Speaker 3: He's not going to change. Yes, we don't change people.
Speaker 2: Right, Isn't that what I would not always say now?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It's interesting, it's interesting, but I also feel like I feel and I could be wrong, and maybe we'll ask Sir Jeska about this where she comes up, I feel like, yes, she wanted what she wanted, but at a certain point, she was also willing to not get everything she wanted to stay with him, do you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean? Yeah, Because it's not like this.
Speaker 2: In this episode, there's a crazy storyline with Stanford where she goes to meet his mother, which I had not really remembered, right, it's so good.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Also when they go to the ballet, which you know, sir, Jessica loves your ballet so much, and now she's chairperson of the Ballet Committee and does this incredible fundraiser every year and raises so much money in New York City Ballet and we on and just like that film at the Ballet this year, which was incredible and we spent so much money doing it. Yep, but we wanted to have that iconicy New York situation. But to see she and Willie walking around Lincoln Center in the night and she wirrel, it's incredible. It's incredible, And way back then, in nineteen ninety eight we did that, Like, it's amazing the kind of footprint of what would come in a much more kind of fully fully developed way later.
Speaker 4: And in the settling, In the settling situation, even though they are close friends and they love each other, there's the idea of them getting married.
Speaker 2: Right, He's like, why not because he would get his inherited. He doesn't realize, right, And he would be fine with her being with Big because he's gay, right, And it kind of makes sense and she's like, maybe this does make sense.
Speaker 3: And then his mom, his mom mother, you guys me wi WILLI Stanford's mom and she says, you know, you know he's a fruit.
Speaker 2: She says, yeah, yeah, and then she realizes that he's not going to get the inheritance, so it's really not going to work. The friend's not going to work. But it is super interesting. I did not really remember that. I like that whole moment.
Speaker 3: I liked it too.
Speaker 2: And Stanford's like so sweet and like vulnerable. And you remember when he goes he puts an ad in the paper because we didn't have dating apps, and he basically says Ed Harris type and Ed Harris type.
Speaker 3: And which is what you said to me? When is that? First?
Speaker 4: He said he looks like Ed Harrison? And then I say to you, Ed Harris, how about Ed? I have no Harris.
Speaker 2: And then this guy walks up to him on the street and it's like, this is.
Speaker 3: No, it's not gonna happen. His little face welcome to the gay world. Oh my gosh, the little side face. So it just broke my little heart.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Then oh, then there's there's the insanity of the Rabbit, which really goes on for quite some your addiction time, right, well, just and then the you know, like Charlotte's version of lying. It's really funny, like, oh, you know, I'm supposed.
Speaker 3: To go out with you to go to the Kelly, but then they came up then make it, I know, which is really really cute, door, really.
Speaker 2: Really cute, so cute.
Speaker 3: I love them breaking down my door and taking care of me. It's so cute.
Speaker 2: It's so so cute. And then I say that I think I broke my vagina.
Speaker 4: That's right, wow, yes, yea. Knowing what your character became, it's like wow. And the fact that you got you're the one that got objected to this thing, that whole thing is just.
Speaker 2: But that was that, yes, exactly, I agree. And they were trying to figure out, like what can we do that doesn't you don't see coming? You know what I'm saying with her, And I was just trying to pull it off so that they weren't like get rid of her. I'm serious, it was on my mind. I was scared. I was very scared for most of it. So I'm just like, how could I make this? And also I've been in an acting class for so long, right, So I'm just trying to make everything as real as I possibly can, do you know what I mean? But it's really cute when they come over. I love it very very much. I love it and I really want to watch it again. That's how cute it was, because it seems like we're in high school. Yeah, it's like a weirdly good episode.
Speaker 3: And I remember when I saw it about a month ago. I was like, this is a really good episode, and.
Speaker 5: Did you thought that?
Speaker 2: I just I just thought the whole first season I remembered it, which is crazy. See, I thought that the Rabbit episode would have been later, like I remember things from it, but I don't remember them.
Speaker 3: And I was surprised it was the episode when I started rewriting again. Yeah, the other day.
Speaker 4: Because I was like, wait, I just saw this and this was from the first season totally.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. That's why Cynthia always told me that the first season was good and I was like, no, no, she's right, right, Okay, so we're back with Beg. Carrie tells Beg that she got a proposal. She's smoking and which is hysterical. Isn't it funny to watch her smoking?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right?
Speaker 2: And like almost blows the up. And do you remember when when he does a smoke ring. I remember that he was like very proud of himself that he's smok ring. Okay, wait, this is the intervention. Now we're back to Samantha with the turtle, which again so adorable and sweet and he's sweet. He is kind of feel bad for him.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, it's Stanford's grandmother.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that makes more sense. That makes more sense, becuse I was gonna say, we really don't see anyone's parents. His grandmother who has the money. That makes sense. Then we're back. Now this scene really really killed me because there's so many future callbacks to this scene where Big is making sauce okay and giving her the spook.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, he has an issue.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well he was like, you brown the onion, and you brown the garlic and then you throw in the onion.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, opposite you.
Speaker 4: You brought you brown the onion and then rowing the garlic quickly, and then you throw your sauce in and then you cook it.
Speaker 3: I just made it, and the other day that's all I do is make sauce. Okay. Yeah, so that was wrong.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how many times throughout the years they've done this, and like in the movie do it in their beautiful apartment. I know, what's you know, it's adorable, I know, but it's also like that's the hymn that I like, you know, like when I'm like this this, I can see there had.
Speaker 4: To be a certain thing about him, even at the very beginning, that you rooted for and was hoping for that change and for that connection and ultimately that marriage.
Speaker 2: So you know, but see, there are fans who would say that they were not hoping sure, and there are fans who would say that they were on aiden not big you know what I mean? It was always right, but for sure. I mean the writers definitely it was like the central storyline for her right too big or not too big?
Speaker 3: You know, right, do you know what I mean? But they were, yeah, the sauce thing. I but I love that scene.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a great scene. And she basically says, you know this other marriage proposal, like God is not gonna it's got not going to work out. And then she says that she does want to get married someday. And when you think about that, this is season one and they're having this conversation and how many years of show and then movies would go on for this to get worked out. But I also think it's very real.
Speaker 4: I mean, and also when they're in bed together and she's like trying to be all cool, we'll getting right married and yeah, I got a proposal today, and and then he said Stanfford and he was and he knew.
Speaker 3: He was, like isn't he isn't he gay? Uh huh?
Speaker 4: And so the cockiness kind of flips back around, like.
Speaker 2: That kind of right that they because like, do you remember early on when he's kind of evaded her wherever they're supposed to get together, they didn't get together, And she sees him on the street and she leans over and tells him the word of the crossroad puzzle, Like it's nice how they like trade power and right, and that's that's the saving grace of it, all right, if it was just him being aloof the.
Speaker 3: Whole time, boo.
Speaker 2: But they trade back and forth. But this scene in particular, I felt like, at least we're seeing the potential of him, the potential of their relationship, the potential of him being nice to her, Like he holds her and kisses her at the end is kind of reassuring to her, even though he doesn't say, oh, yes, I do want to get right. He doesn't say that, but his actions are more like caretaking and make her feel you know, good.
Speaker 3: Which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Then the okay, but settling, and then I got the paper in front of me. Yes, the theme is settling, which I think is obviously a fantastic theme and still incredibly relevant. But we don't get a solution. Of course, we don't get a solution. How could we get a solution to that? And also this is still a question in society, like what's more important to you? Security? Right, the security of relationship or not something? Sometimes that's the choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything, people do both. It's plenty of people that do both.
Speaker 4: And you they either settle, and they settle because it's money and power involved. And you know, yeah, I don't let me tell you something. I always said this I was, you know, it's going to be on my gravestone. What I can buy the whole I can't be one.
Speaker 2: Wow, I do not think that you should put that on your.
Speaker 4: But I mean what I mean, but metaphorically what I mean is I can't. I don't care how much money you have, So I'm not going to be with you for money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I I mean, I'll buy my my suite at the day we're seeing Rome, I'll buy this, but I'll buy a car to get me something, you know, But I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I was like, I'll be fine. I'm the one that's gonna have the money. That's how you do it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I would never marry somebody I know, right, I don't understand that.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I don't understand it either. And the thing that I think is really dangerous about it is if you're a young woman like Charlotte, right, And I mean the thing that I do love about Charlotte though, is first season she talks about the gallery every single episode, which I love, like work is important to her, you know, which I really love and I had forgotten, Like most of her arcs, it's mentioned, you know, and then more so it comes back than goodness. So it's not like she's like I don't want to work, you know. The later obviously there's a time when she does it work and the girls are like, you're not even working? Do you remember this later on? Anyway, I think that the mistake that you know, mentally, Relying on someone else financially when you're young is a mistake. You know, it's a mistake that people very commonly make because you have to you have to get those skills yourself through so that you'll be okay, right, because but sometimes you can't rely on those other people and then you're left dry and it's way.
Speaker 3: Stressful or you're miserable exactly.
Speaker 2: Which seems like a nightmare.
Speaker 3: And then you have kids.
Speaker 2: I feel like the problem is they're relying on right, Like you can get married, you can settle, you can do all the different things, just don't rely on them, like keep your own bank account.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely right, absolutely right, it's important. See, and Jerry and I feel the same way you do.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we're very you know, look we have our money, but we're we're we're separate with things too, and that's a good way.
Speaker 3: And yeah, look it's there's.
Speaker 4: Times he made more money than me and times I made more money than him, and and that's just you just rely on each other, went back and forth, which is a very healthy thing.
Speaker 3: I think that's a very healthy thing.
Speaker 2: And also because that means the power is even in a relationships, right, yeah, right, Mario, You're amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking at my papers. I think we've done it.
Speaker 4: And there's even like Jerry and I working together. Yes, when I did my One Man, he wrote all my music. He writes my music for me.
Speaker 2: But that's amazing.
Speaker 4: We work together everyone that you know, we've done shows together. We we advise each other. It's a it is a real balance of power.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, you know, beautiful, and we love each other.
Speaker 4: We scare each other a little bit, you know, because we're both strict sometimes with things, and you know, we're both control freaks. I think, well, not not in not in the not in a horrible way, not in the way where it rips apart our relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to know he's safe and okay, of course that's unhealthy for sure.
Speaker 4: Because we're getting older, and you know, I think about life and yeah, I just do.
Speaker 3: We all do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we all do.
Speaker 4: You know, And that's what I love about it, just like that is everybody's older and we are.
Speaker 3: Everyone is changing in some way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the audience loves some of it and hate some of it, and it's just but it's like too bad, this is life. You accept these changes and you. You know, Anthony has changed.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I when I first said to Michael, you know, when I had the hot fellas, I was like, so, I'm gonna be messing around with these.
Speaker 3: She said no. He said no, no, no, no, because.
Speaker 4: You don't where you eat this is, this is she said. He said, you've evolved. You're the one that You're the one that's not that doesn't do that anymore, which is why when you find out in the second season that I only hired straight men, I forgot.
Speaker 3: I could, I could not do that.
Speaker 4: And then I find out that Giuseppe is gay, and I'm like, you're fired.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I forgot, Yes, you're fired.
Speaker 4: And then I like that we get he quits and we get together. So I love that about me.
Speaker 3: See that he's evolved that way. Well, if we haven't evolved at all, how boring. That's not real. You know, that's not real. It's not real.
Speaker 2: I know, and I know I know there's and you have done.
Speaker 3: Can I just don't don't say anything, just shut up and just hear it.
Speaker 4: And I said this to you, But the amount of people that think you are so many magnificent.
Speaker 3: In this iteration of the show, and how.
Speaker 5: Walking, how hilarious you are.
Speaker 4: You are really divinely funny than finely funny. You're drunken stuff. You're that whole monologue to Harry during the hangover, but she doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you you. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm just looking to have Michael Patrick writing for me.
Speaker 5: I am too.
Speaker 3: I'm lucky to have you as my partner.
Speaker 4: You're my first and original partner, and we're still very close friends, even though the kids take you away from me sometimes, and I've said that Charlotte's up to her ass and kids ship.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's thank you for being with you.
Speaker 5: I love you verys for finally asking me