Speaker 1: A swags.
Speaker 2: Hi understand that deep just center field and it's gone, Wow.
Speaker 3: His first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam, the home line swing. Good time to look to the show. Welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars in Major League Baseball. You got arm Light and Elijah Evans and we're doing part two of our check in on our preseason breakout picks for all thirty teams. This time it's the National League side of things. The link to this article is in the episode description. If you want to check that out, or if you're watching us on BALI, you can find that on Just Baseball dot com. But I'm excited we did the American League side. We went through the good, the bad, the in between, and on the National League side it's kind of the same thing. We get the good, the bat and in between. We're going to check in on what's going right with those guys that are proving me right maybe with the preseason pick, what went wrong with those that maybe aren't aging as well, and then of course, who are the right picks then or other options for each of these teams to be the breakout. So far as we're just on the other side of the halfway point of this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a fun one.
Speaker 4: It's always cool to look back at your initial predictions. Some of them have been absolute bangers. You got to give yourself some credit, and then there's some that probably haven't gone the way you were hoping they do. It's always a good time to get to bash on you a little bit, but also celebrate the victories.
Speaker 3: That's the fun part. We get kind of everything here, which makes it fun. We do start with a pretty solid pick, but just not the right pick because there's a couple guys, one in particular, that is dominating the Brave system. But John Heel was not a bad pick for the Braves, who's having a nice season, actually quite a good one. Unfortunately, he also shares an organization with the best minor league performer this year in Eric Hartman, and that obviously had to be the pick. And he's like a breakout by all accounts as a late round pick. All this different stuff, but just to check in on John Heel very quickly, one zero six WRC plus so far this season. He's been a menace on the base paths continues to be. He's been even more efficient this year. He was like fifty for sixty four last year, this year thirty five for forty already the season. What I like with him is you get this power upside speed combination. The hit tool just continues to shine through. Is a guy that is not going to punch out very much. And you know, after hitting seven homers in one hundred and seven games last year, hell has eleven and seventy six.
Speaker 2: That said, there are.
Speaker 3: Some baseball aspects that are making it can be like literal baseball, the ball itself, that make it hard for me to you know, discern whether I think this is like a power uptick or not. But there's some underlying batted ballmarkers that I think point towards you know, healtt just a newly turned twenty years old growing into more pop.
Speaker 4: I was going to say that it might not be the right breakout pick, but I'd still say he's one of the three to five best performers in the system all things considered. This season started the year at nineteen years old in high a recently turned twenty eleven homers thirty five bags of the first seventy six games of the year for Heel. It hasn't been like Eric Hartman obviously, as we've talked about or even Tates South to see and I was gonna mention as kind of a secondary breakout behind Hartman. Heel's probably third on that list, but still, all things considered, very solid.
Speaker 1: Pick by you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hartman sad to seeing the Braves have they have pieces here and this is gonna be the fun part at the deadline, right, I mean, even John Heel at twenty years old is a guy that he's going to be twenty years old again until almost halfway through next season, a guy that plenty of teams are gonna have interest in.
Speaker 2: The glove is going to be the fun part.
Speaker 3: So to a monitor just to see how that continues to come along and if he's able to stick at shortstop. I know he's been starting to see some more action at second base here and there too, but that's typical anyway.
Speaker 2: With the short stop, we'll see. I don't love the.
Speaker 3: Glove, but it looks like he could have the ingredients to be able to at least be average defender there as he just continues to mature. He'll also average x velocity up three miles per hour from last year, so that is going to back. You know, some more impacts being added here, hard hit rate up ten percent, elevating more consistently. This is a guy that when the Braves are buyers here, I think plenty of teams are going to have you know, circled as one of the prospects they'll be asking for in a return.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would think so.
Speaker 4: I would think he's a guy who're gonna look at him, and even south the scene, I would think Hartman's probably in the borderline untouchable category.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be really interesting.
Speaker 3: I don't know who out there I would trade, Like I'm not trading. It's as crazy as it sounds. I'd really struggle to trade Hartman for a rental school. And I know there's a prospects show and I am, but I will say I tend to not be a prospect Hugert. That one would be really hard with how much of a star he looks like he could be. But that's the tough part with the Brave system is they have these emergent guys, but like, how would you go get a guy like Scooble. I don't know, I don't know who else would be on the trade market. Have to be a really impactful player with control for me to be dangling Hartman, but you never know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always possible for sure.
Speaker 4: Next up is the Miami Marlins, and we get into your pick, which initially was Luis Cova, speinster outfielder who was in the DSL last year. And then obviously I think another pretty layup of a pick here, and in terms of who it probably should be here is is Carson Milbrand. It's impossible to look at Carson milburan season so far and not just get fired up about what he's done this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Cova probably not the right pick. Was good at the Complex for nineteen games, but like you should be good at the complex, you repeated the DSL. I still think Cove is an interesting player and very much could be somebody that puts it together at age twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: And he hasn't been.
Speaker 3: Bad by I would say, the standards of getting overblown, like getting blown away, overwhelmed with with low pitching, but he just has not been able to have any quality of contact there, which was the exciting part of what I saw last year and his repeated the dsls.
Speaker 2: You saw that improvement.
Speaker 3: Quality of contact wise and it's interesting because now you have two guys, and I talked about it in the last episode.
Speaker 2: I think guys that repeat the DSL it.
Speaker 3: Can often be fools gold right, because you're playing the same level, and in the DSL the pitching can be so weak at points where you can get to a point where you're not necessarily better that much better of a hitter. You might have just gotten better at hitting DSL pitching, and sometimes those things are a little bit different. And we'll see with COVID a lot of the battball data was better, but that could have been a guy that just got more comfortable and being able to hit DSL pitching, but still didn't close some of the gaps that he needed as a professional hitter to be able to make the leap state sign. I saw him live the other day again, didn't look like he was overwhelmed, didn't look totally out of sorts. But the guys slug in two sixty five right now. So it's not too good at the low A level one twenty two WRC plus in the nineteen games of the complex, eighty seven WRC plus so far in twenty four games at low way, but it's his first taste of low A, so I.
Speaker 2: Think he's going to settle in.
Speaker 3: He's nineteen years old until February, and Covid is the guy that I know that the Marlins do like. But without a doubt it's recent guest of the podcast cars and Brent, who's you know, solidified himself as one of the more electrifying right handers in the upper Miners. It's still getting aclimated to Triple A now, but was decimating Double A and looks like a big piece for the Marlins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you know, obviously he's someone that I think you're you're getting on a track here where you want to start to think about when he can get his chance.
Speaker 1: It's probably still.
Speaker 4: Next year, but man nol Brant is just its just exciting and such a flamethrower and someone that I think is going to be a real piece.
Speaker 1: And the Marlins are probably.
Speaker 4: Looking at you know, they're they're already good rotation in him being a huge part of it in twenty twenty seven and beyond.
Speaker 2: It's just the command of Triple A. That'll be the interesting thing to monitor.
Speaker 3: One other shout is and probably the the ma end up taking the cake if he continues going this way. Is cam Canderella, Yeah, Cam Canerella the Marlin's second round pick. I guess campe pick last year forty fifth. Overall, what he's done this year so far has been amazing. I mean at High A he in nineteen games torched it there three ninety four, three homers. And then at Double A in the Southern League, and I think he has been the crazy he's part for a guy that was kind of viewed as more contact and speed and defense.
Speaker 2: Though the defense has not been.
Speaker 3: As good as I would have expected, and from what we saw in college. That's that's for another time when we break down you know, Candarella and talk about him in a heat sheet probably coming up next week. But eight homers in twenty eight games in Double A. Now he's up to a one to seventy five WRC plus. There he's walking as much as he's struck out. So now you have a forty seven game sample where he is eleven homers Canarella, he'shitting three sixty with a one to sixty nine WRC plus and walking almost as much as he's struck out. Yeah, that's going to be really impressive. I'd like to see the speed be a bigger part of his game. But he had an injury laying out for ball, colliding with somebody that I think affected his one of his knees like something like that, So I'm sure that played a factor. And also like he's slugging right now and that's been the exciting part. So Cantarella is definitely a name to watch and if he can keep this thing rolling, I mean, this is a really impressive player. Probably would be a slam dunk for the top one hundred if the defense wasn't actually shockingly shaky, which was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: His calling cards.
Speaker 3: So regardless though, you see the back to ball, you see the quality of contact, and this is a guy that I think is a straight up era on the Marlins org.
Speaker 4: Yeah, going over to the New York Mets organization, your pick at the beginning of the season was Jonathan Santucci. We had an awesome interview with him about a month back. Definitely go check that out to hear more about him.
Speaker 1: He's had some ups and downs this year.
Speaker 4: It's been a good year overall for Santucci, but hasn't been necessarily a huge season for him. The Mets org is a little tough man, I don't know. We were looking through and like I'm scrolling through it now even like I don't know if there's really a clear breakout pick in that organization. I think you look at guys like Lenninger in Santucci that you expected to be good, and they've been solid, They've been you know, good overall, but like I mean, you got to really go into the levels of of some you know, older players at a lower level to find guys that really pop out as a true breakout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Santucci has been great of Late two four five era over his last I think it was seven starts. The reason I knew that off the top of my head is we just put out a social video on all the call up channels.
Speaker 2: Check that out. We're going to be doing this every week, hopefully going out.
Speaker 3: On Monday Night's a Tuesday morning, just recapping the top performers, highlighting some data. Two to three minute video I think this one was three and a half, just kind of catching you up with all the top performers in the minor leagues across every level and just guys that stood out to us. And Santucci of Late was a guy that made that video so check that out again on x Instagram, our TikTok as well.
Speaker 2: We're putting that out everywhere.
Speaker 3: But Santucci better of late not a breakout because you could argus better last year. A breakout for him, given that he already was pretty damn good in the second half last year, would be him dominating again through Double A and probably having success in Triple A. Mitch Voitte of late has been really good for them. But you know, he's a first round pick in twenty twenty five. But I think when you will get void compared to where he was last year, where he's been especially over the last month and a half, that could be a shout for you. But there's no one that really jumps out in the that system right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nothing super appalling and you know jumped out at you right there, Santucci. I think if he finishes the season strong, I think that ends up being kind of a win pick for you, even though that was a little bit more of it. You know, he was good last year and you were just expecting it to continue more than anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing too.
Speaker 3: I'll lean on you here, like you can give it a thumbs up thumbs down that's what Jack.
Speaker 2: Was going to for the ones that weren't. I think this is.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's a seventy five percent up. This next one, this is like Lobb from Way James slams it down. I'll shout out here Miami guys for that, because the Nationals organization at Devin Fitzgerald.
Speaker 1: There's no other pick that's even at the table here. This was just a slam dug from you all around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only pushback I guess people would give is is that, hey, since he's got to double a in twenty one games, he's been horrible. But my argument would be, as we've talked about on the podcast, Fitzgerald started twenty twenty five at the Complex and played forty one total games, so he had only played ten games at Low Way before getting hurt, and the national said in spring training, this kid is so good, you're gonna skip Low Way. Essentially those ten games weren't off, We don't care. You're going straight to hie hi A's where he was one of the best hitters in the minor leagues. You know, after settling in a little bit, just went crazy. As we saw in that incredible stretch the twelve homers and fifty one games, but so many of those came in the final two weeks of him playing at the level, and then he gets promoted to Double A and that's where he's really struggled. He's sitting one forty five. I believe that comes out to what we got there twelve for eighty three. My thing with him is the fact that he's gotten.
Speaker 2: The Double A this year I think is a breakout.
Speaker 3: In a lot of ways, and the fact that this is a player that is on top one hundred lists across the board that wasn't at the start of the season. And also is I didn't get to settle in as we get deeper into the season at the Double A level, like to enter this year having barely played above the complex and then in that same year be playing at the upper levels. Of course, it's going to be a huge test for fitzjail at at twenty years old. So I still think this is a breakout by you know, every way. And I'm trying to think of another national that would fit that bill. I'm not sure if there is an obvious one other than than Fitzgerald.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Fitzgerald's the answer.
Speaker 4: I think there's a couple other talented players, but I think this guy, like you said, I'm not putting too much stock in twenty double A games for a guy who had basically skipped low A and dominated hy A, like this is a breakout. He looks really good and is, you know, all the makings of He's already well into our top one hundred and I think if he once he settles into double A, you're going to see him start to take back up and.
Speaker 1: Maybe not quite the numbers he was doing hig A, but I.
Speaker 4: Fully expected to finish the season stronger in double A than it's been so far.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. He's going to settle on. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Jumping over to the Phillies organization, this is an interesting one that there's not a clear takeaway. You went with Matthew Fisher at the beginning of the season, right handed guy who had a pretty decent signing bonus out of their twenty twenty five class last year. Hasn't been necessarily the breakout there. We looked at some of their guys up and down. There's not like a standout name, but there's a couple names. You had one and I have another I pulled up, but I think at least interesting in the Phillies Org.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fisher's been okay.
Speaker 3: You know, it hasn't been anything special so far this year, and they could easily be a late bloomer. Just very talented. I liked him out of the draft and that was a big reason why I picked him. Is one of the breakout guys, but I don't think anything's really jumped off the page with him, and the stuff's been kind of fine. Slider looks like a plus pitch, but that's kind of been about it for him. And the fastball has, you know, mostly been in the low nineties. And you know, as a result, Fisher has generated a decent amount of strikeouts when he was getting his feet wet in the complex, but then you know, in the eleven innings he's thrown at low A so far, you know, it just hasn't been quite as sharp. But I think it's been all right. They've been very careful with him a few innings at a time. I think was a little bit banged up at the start of the season, so I think that's been part of it too. So it's hard to break out when you're being managed so carefully, but again the breaking ball does look quite good, and you know can fort with three thousand rpm and you're seeing that and the cutter in between is interesting. I still think this is a guy that could be a pretty solid arm for them, But as it pertains, still like the actual pick and who the breakout should be here, I guess it's gonna be Ramon Marquez. I'm curious who you have and then and I'll then I'll give them Marquez breakdown.
Speaker 1: I think Brian Rincone deserves a little bit of a shout.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was popular, but he was a decently hyped up name from the you know, he had made some noise early in his pro career and then last year. The last two years really it's been pretty lackluster all things considered. He was in High A all of twenty twenty five and it was an eighty nine WRC plus this year, going to Double A after struggling in hig A at twenty two years old. In Double A he's got a one twenty eight WRC plus. He's walking at you know, over fifteen percent clips. Striking out rate is strick outreads down ten percent from last year. Almost you're seeing a little bit of a significant uptick in power. It's up to twelve homers already this season after putting out only six last year. So when I started to look at their roster a little bit more in their prospects, I think Rincon is the one that stands out to me even more than Marquez made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good shout.
Speaker 3: Somebody actually just asked about n count and the discord a few days ago and just.
Speaker 2: Asking like does the bat ball data back it up?
Speaker 3: Like is it just seems like he's flying under the radar Raanconzaga that a lot of people like for the glove, and I remember seeing him on the airson a Fall League where he struggled but and it had been banged up, and I think injuries have limited him some a little bit too, but the fact that you could see just the athleticism and the ingredients at least be a really solid defender and a utility piece. But now at twenty two, he's really getting into pop and and he popped a one twelve. There's one hundred and twelve min hour Homer. I sent the open side video of in the discord off of Gage Stana Firm.
Speaker 2: I'm like whoa that was not in there before. So when the.
Speaker 3: Evs are up and way up against better velocity in terms of just the way he's performing, he struggled against some upper echelon of velocity in the past. I think that may have been a little bit of a bad speed thing, a little bit of a mechanical thing.
Speaker 2: Now he looks more physical.
Speaker 3: The EV's being up, he's way quicker to velocity, and then you know, just holding his backside better, looking more adjustable, you're hitting Homer's a one twelve after never really you know, exceeding one ten plus off of arms like Gage Stana for a Lot's probably going right for you there, and I think with the glove to pair, this is a guy that has a lot of your prospect intrigue. I think to keep adding to the fold there. And then just a quick shout on Marquez though that's been really good for them. It's a fun kind of two seam run and ride type of pitch and then a change up off of that also has this gyro slider that whole throw at like eighty nine miles per hour to a three pitch mix. It's allowed him to have a lot of success this year. And I do think that that Marquez all of a sudden looks like we're talking about trade candidates too. I went on a Phillies podcast recently and like who can we trade? And I was looking around, and I thought Marquez was one of those candidates that, you know, maybe on the public lists, doesn't get as much shine, but I think a lot of teams that are calling and doing their due diligence are going to be intrigued in an arm like Marquez, even though he's you know, maybe not the highest most popular arm in the world. You'll oft the stuff and also like a decent field to command it and repeat. I think it's a pretty fascinating free pitch mix there that I think could have a lot of teams interested.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think for that matter, Rinkolne could be another name that I think teams could be interested in. Deadline wise, so Philly's system isn't loaded by any means, and obviously Aiden Miller has been hurt. You know, there's a little bit of a lacklustered, you know, juice in that system. But there are some guys in both those names and handful of others who I think they're going to try to dangle for the sake of you know, making your run this year.
Speaker 2: Yep, and we can go with Fisher on a thumbs down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one's thumbs down.
Speaker 4: For now, Let's take a quick break before we get into the NL Central as we review breakouts for every team in the National League. Jumping right back in here on the call up to our National League breakouts review, we made it to the NL Central.
Speaker 1: Now starting with the Brewers.
Speaker 4: This was self admittedly your deepest cut in your ear predictions here brailin into nez intoez.
Speaker 1: In Tunias. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Was a DSL guy in the Brewers system and had been He played last year in the DSL. There was some intriguing stuff. Actually, has had a solid year in the complex. He's put up eleven nine homers, eleven bags, a one twelve WRC plus so far at the Arizona Complex.
Speaker 1: Is striking out at a thirty three percent clip.
Speaker 4: Though, this probably isn't the pick, but tell me a little more about him before I give you the likely pick here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not the correct pick, but I'm still giving myself some credit on this one because I picked the guy that in the DSL last year, had a two fifteen batting average and slugged two eighty two.
Speaker 2: And he didn't repeat the DSL.
Speaker 3: He went to They sent him to the Complex, Like this is a classic repeat the DSL guy. Nope, goes to the complex. Obviously, he's going to need to figure out the swinging mess. He's going to need to improve that in the Arizona Complex. But he's eighteen years old and a one twelve WRC plus. He had one homer in the DSL last year. He's got nine this year in the Arizona Complex League. He was really impressive on the back fields in spring training and there's some buzz being generated with him there. The thing that's fascinating with him is he hits the living crap out of the baseball and there's huge, huge upside. I mean, he's sent homers upwards of one hundred and fourteen miles per hour already. So if you've got a guy that's hitting the ball that hard at eighteen years old, there's a lot to like there.
Speaker 2: It's just going to be a matter of cutting down on the whiff.
Speaker 3: And he got out of the gate a little bit slow and since then has been a lot better. So I'm hoping that, you know, you'll see the numbers be better at overall at the end of the year. But when you've got an eighteen year old pop in one thirteen's one, fourteens, I think there may even be a one to fifteen in there. Average ices of vossitia ninety one miles per hour. It's it's a relative breakout compared to what he was last year, which was not even a non prospect.
Speaker 2: Like you do that twice in the DSL, you might not have a.
Speaker 3: Job in baseball after that as a player, So it is it is a much better year from him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think that's I think it's like almost a thumbs middle. I don't think that's a crazy that's not some like terrible pick. I think he's still a name to keep an eye on there. But I do think Alexander Freos in the Brewers or is the pick here? This is another Similarly, you know, a DSL guy last year made us to the Complex. This year just destroyed his way through the Complex this season. He had four forty one in his thirty two Complex games this year, handful of homers, just impressive stuff all around. Just got to single a recently and has had a bit of a slow start, but all things considered, you're looking at a guy in Freos who like is one of those Brewers guys.
Speaker 1: We were like, oh, he was good in the DSL last year and then just lit up the complex right upon arrival this spring.
Speaker 3: This is why, And I hate that I'm like trade pilled this episode, but this is what the Brewers need to make a freaking trade because this kid is really good and maybe it doesn't have to be him, like he doesn't have to be the one that you trade. But you have already the most ridiculous farm system in baseball and you're just spawning dudes. And we just had Andrew Fisher on and he's been amazing and he's averaging a home run every like eight point six at bats. Also that was from the social video, so go check that out. But free us man, like you spawn this guy on top of it. And it's like, I love Blake Burke, who cares. A lot of teams would like a Blake trade Blake Burke trade trade Bovied And I know those guys aren't going to bring in a hall, but like that's even uncharacteristic trade. Some of these other guys, my gosh, because you look at what what freest could be now too.
Speaker 2: He just turned eighteen.
Speaker 3: He just turned eighteen years old, and you've got a kid that I mean sweet swing from the left side. You see like the projection physically too, where he's still wiry, like there's he's skinny. There's room to add strength in that six two, one hundred and seventy five pound frame.
Speaker 2: But he's already popping exs. The velocity's north to one ten.
Speaker 3: Now he needs to get the ball in the air a little bit more consistently and some of these other things. But the average batspeed in games where it was able to be measured is like almost seventy four miles per hour. To be already there at his age, you put this guy in the brewer's hands to be able to find a little bit more consistent loft, like find the ground, use the ground a little bit more consistently. How much more power could be in there. I think he's going to be a pretty solid outfielder, even if it's not for sure for sure center field, which I still think you look at the ability to go play in a corner.
Speaker 2: I think he'll be fine out there and covering off ground with a good arm. This is a very fun player.
Speaker 3: That the fact that he is already in full season ball at eighteen, like, I think the Brewers are tipping their hand of how they feel about him.
Speaker 2: This is what they do with their special guys. They like to be more aggressive in general, but.
Speaker 3: They're they're really exciting guys, the guys that they feel a little bit differently about. This is what they do to them. They throw them in full season ball at eighteen years old. And when you watch Free his play, it's easy to understand why. I'm excited to see how he handles like the professional breaking or the professional the full season breaking stuff. But this year, dude four forty six against fastballs, and this includes the lowe sample, which is a twelve sixty one ops, then three seventy five against breaking ball. It's good for a nine ninety eight ops as well.
Speaker 2: I know that that was.
Speaker 3: Complex stuff and whatever, but it's a little bit of the low way too. That's still video game numbers. And it does include the eleven game sample, and I know it's a small sample overall too, it's only forty three total games. But he's hammering everything right, now and even as he's getting his feet wet in low A not striking out a ton, this kid could be a monster. And when I look at that, I'm like, all right, all those other guys in the middle, I know they love Adam Szevski. If it's a special like trade where you can get an impact player, I know he's been amazing.
Speaker 2: I'd even be okay with that.
Speaker 3: So that's other guy that could probably fit the breakout side of things too. There's so much talent in this system. Teams would love Marco Dings like you could trade a few guys and not feel it even if you didn't want to trade in Adam Szewski, because you've got all of these different high upside young players. Luis Laura just got caught up to the show, like it is crazy. Please for once Brewers make it big trade.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is the guy.
Speaker 4: Frea's disgusting system and Frias is definitely the breakout. I'm still giving you like a middle thumb though on Brilin, because I do think that's like, it's not a bad shout for like you said, you picked a guy that was didn't perform well in the DSL and he's performing well in the complex.
Speaker 1: Not a negative.
Speaker 3: I would say, yeah, it's not the correct pick, but it's it's not I have worst picks.
Speaker 1: We've already covered getting into the Cubs.
Speaker 4: This was a good one. Kan Kepley of the Cubs organization. He was a second round pick last year. He's been great. I don't think he is the pick again, but still a good pick. So tell me about Kan and then we'll go over to the guy that I think is probably the pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, the only reason he's not v pick is the Cubs might have separate from the break Hartman. If it's not for Hartman, the Cubs may have two of the other like breakouts and relative breakout, like they may have the second best story in that regard. We're talking about noan airs. But Kepley, I love it because this just felt like a safe pick. Yes, he got a dose of twenty eight games at Loway where he was just put up stupid numbers because he was walking and never striking out. But the reason why I liked Kepley is the quality of contact is better than you'd expect for a five eight eighty pound speedster. And I think we've seen a little bit of that this year, not just through the five homers, And I mean, if he hits ten homers in a season, your thrill because he's gonna walk with the best of them.
Speaker 2: He leverages his really small strike zone very very well.
Speaker 3: He's going to be a menace on the base pats, He's a great defender in center field.
Speaker 2: I just felt like there was so I almost balance it out.
Speaker 3: And Tuniez was like the riskiest pick humanly possible because he could have immediately been brutal. Kepley was the safest pick and he'd have to really just go nuts to be a crazy like how did you know? How did you pick Kepley? But I felt like there's no way it was going to be like how did you pick Kepley?
Speaker 2: So for me, that was the big part of it.
Speaker 3: But ninety one percent in zone contact rate, a chase rate of sixteen percent. You pair those two things together, your odds are you're gonna have a good season, especially when you got speed. The other part that I think is the most underrated aspect with Kepley eighty nine percent average EGGXI velocity for a player with those specs, with his measurables, tou a forty three percent hard hit rate. He's got all the ingredients that the fact that he can he can hit the ball hard like that too.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be a good player for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about it on a sheet.
Speaker 4: There's just there's a lot of the floor stabilizers and then there's still some extra juice and injury there for a guy who you're looking at as like, oh, he's going to be a quality center.
Speaker 1: Fielder outfielder in general, but there is.
Speaker 4: Some juice there that you didn't necessarily expect right away, and you've seen it kind of out of the gate in his first season.
Speaker 2: Yep. And he's forty for forty two on stolen basis.
Speaker 1: That's nasty.
Speaker 4: But with that ohen Ares I was about to say, Owen Ares has been the craziest like nineteenth round twenty twenty four draft pick who has just burst onto the seam and went from a guy that last year was solid in single A as a twenty four year old, but now has absolutely dominated double A at twenty five years old while catching the majority of the time.
Speaker 2: This is such a cool story.
Speaker 3: I mean, signed for like fifty thousand dollars on a market day as that nineteenth round, but like.
Speaker 2: It's just stupid stuff. He's been like Barry Bonds in double A.
Speaker 3: It's fifteen homers and fifty nine aims a one seventy three WRC plus but with a RS. He also think he can stick behind the dish. So yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: People were doing the whole River Ryan thing and it's like, who's going to be the next?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Would there ever be a top one hundred project that's old? And I was like no, and Aer's will debut before that. But Owen Ayers could be like close to twenty six ers old and be on the top one hundred list. There's some whiff and that'll be the thing. Like if there is something to do him in, it'll be that. But I think he hedges that by simply being a switch hitter and it's not egregious as seventy two percent contact right, and it's something I think that it could continue.
Speaker 2: To get better.
Speaker 3: People are going to look at the age and be like he's twenty five, But I don't care about the age With Owen a Ers. He debuted really at twenty four. He got a taste of professional baseball at twenty three.
Speaker 2: Years old.
Speaker 3: He played eighteen games, so he really made his his his full season debut at twenty four years old. It's all relative like this is his first he played mid major baseball, so I don't really care about his age like I care about it from the lens of he's a catcher in the years control, and maybe at the end of the six years of control he might be getting already on the other side of thirty. We're mapping out though the war that we think he can accumulate in his years of control. I think he's gonna be really good within those years, and I think that's why he's gonna be a top bunch of prospect. You get that power with at least average defense behind the dish. I think there's a chance it could be even a little bit better than that. And yes, he's gonna wif more against breaking balls, but he's destroying hangers, change ups, left up, he's destroying him as well. Nine hundred ops against breaking balls, nine hundred ops against spin and fastballs. He's sitting three seventy seven with a twelve thirty ohps. I mean, it's it's just crazy stuff. And when you look at the splits from each side. He has in one thousand ops from both sides of the plate. This is an incredible player. I don't care about his age, so stop mentioning it to me, because it's all relative.
Speaker 2: And he debuted at twenty four.
Speaker 3: This is the late bloomer of late bloomers, and the fact that he's getting thrown right into the fire from mid major Baseball to Okay, he got a little bit of time at the lower levels, but now it's Double A and you're playing. This is going to be a piece for the Cubs, and I'm very interested to see how they navigate the deadline because they don't really like Biasteros. I don't think they look at as a catcher so which we have been saying forever, and that's why he's in the minors, you know, and not consistently.
Speaker 2: Getting reps the big league bubble.
Speaker 3: You have, Kelly, I know, but you would find ways to get him involved a little bit more if you could catch air. Is a guy that could really catch I think they're holding onto this guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm giving you a still an eighty percent thumbs up though, because I think kep Lee's probably would be the second or third guy.
Speaker 2: But it is the other one would be Josiah hards Cars.
Speaker 1: Yes, of god, well that's a gosh almost forgot. That's crazy. Yeah, I mean that's that you can make a case for too.
Speaker 3: It's just crazy what they've got with these two guys, like with Heartshorn and Airs doing what they're doing. Like I know, Go Cubs fans are like, man, I wish, I wish a couple of our arms could have broken out like this, Like they don't need these bats as much as we need the arm RADI tradum and I look, Heart one's probably gonna be close untouchable for them too because how crazy he's been. But harts Ones come down to after literally just being I mean, he was outperforming Hartman. It was like they were going back and forth. I felt like Maguire Sosa for a stretch there, but he slowed down a little bit after like just the home run barrage and think it was like eight and like twelve games right when he got up to hi A, which was crazy. But Hardshorn just he looks like another switch hitter with a good feel to hit, with good power, with just all of the ingredients to be a high probability above average regular it's just another really good piece for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Going over to the Saint Louis Cardinals organization, your pick here was Ryan Mitchell, who was a young prep guy from their second rounder from their twenty twenty five class.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say this one was a bad pick. I think this is a decent pick.
Speaker 4: He's been solid, it's his first taste of professional ball at nineteen years old, it's got a one eleven WRC plus through his first sixty four single A games.
Speaker 1: There's not like a clear pick beyond that.
Speaker 4: The two that I had written down was Mason Molina, who we talked about on a heat sheet recently actually and has been a really impressive arm for them.
Speaker 1: And then, funny enough, plays Jordan.
Speaker 4: Who actually end up making his debut and you know, is a well known name by a lot of people who might not even follow baseball that closely.
Speaker 1: But actually, is that a really good year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know Mitchell, I think a lot of reasons to think he's a nice prospect and could be a solid player for them. But you know, as he's to try to get acclimated to pro ball, he's passive, and that passivity I think is putting him in spots where he does get when he gets deep in counts, he's just he's putting himself in and in spots where he's often trying to hit the best breaking balls and I think sometimes laying off the hangars, and so he's usually in defense mode when he's trying to hit breaking balls and as a results, he's hitting a buck thirty eight against him. And just secondaries in general have killed him nine to fifty ops against fastballs, but four hundred ops against secondaries. It's not uncommon for a guy making his pro debut out of high school straight into full season ball, but that's obviously going to be something that needs to get better for Mitchell.
Speaker 2: So think he's a good athlete.
Speaker 3: Still think there's some adjustability in the box and a lot of ingredients to a point towards him being a good player.
Speaker 2: But yeah, good season ish but not not great. I think it's Molina.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Molina, just because he's been like kind of always kind of afterthought and deals whatever it may be. And beyond the fact that Mason Molina has been as good as you mentioned, and we talked about him in the heat sheets, as you mentioned, like the.
Speaker 2: Stuff I'm like buying it now too.
Speaker 3: I really think this is a guy that's gonna end up being a back end of the rotation piece for them.
Speaker 2: When you've got the four seamer.
Speaker 3: With Ryde, you've got the shorter slider, the sweep or the curveball, and he commands it all pretty well. Like, I think he's been a breakout, both by the sense of his statistics but also that I think it's going to translate, like in terms of his prospect just just shine and value.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I think he deserves the attention as the guy here. I think we talked to him before. Think the stuff just looks good, it looks exciting.
Speaker 2: I watched a.
Speaker 4: Couple of innings of his the other day, Like, he looked really good, and he just made his triple A debut.
Speaker 1: So he got hit a little bit in his triple A debut, but so.
Speaker 4: Be it the big task. Yeah, of course this will be the jobs. It's still a guy that's twenty two right now. He's about to be twenty three, so he's still young. He's going to spend the rest of the year in trips probably and going to next year with a chance to make an impact in Saint louis absolutely going over to our next team in the NL Central, the Reds organization. I can't say I was too familiar with the name you picked for the Reds, and I'm gonna let you pronounce it because I'm not even gonna try to be honest. But then there's one or two guys I think that are probably the correct pick here for the Reds.
Speaker 3: Yes, Sarlene Torres is not going to be the correct pick. He has a six to six' three era at LOW a in fifty four and the thirds, innings he has struck out forty one batters in fifty four.
Speaker 2: Innings and, YEAH i mean that that kind of says it.
Speaker 3: Itself what's funny is the fastball specs is kind of is WHAT i liked in THE dsl in THE. Acl this is also one of the teams where this is the first time we did it for all thirty. TEAMS i was really struggling to find a breakout prospect for The, reds really. Struggling and the fastball specs are. GOOD i JUST i don't. Know the secondary command is not very. Good he's not ex secuting much at. All he falls behind all the time and as a, result it's it's just not been a very good year For Starlinge.
Speaker 4: Torres, Yeah i'm man have a new a thumbs down on this, one BUT i do think the reds of a couple of. Names Jose akunya is one we talked about on the on the call up about a month. Ago maybe it'sd a pretty solid year and just an impressive step forward for, him and then Well edwin And royo isn't quite a breakout because he was a former top. Prospect he re emerged as a high end guy rather than maybe breaking, out BUT i still think he kind of qualifies as a.
Speaker 3: Breakout, YEAH i like both those. SHOUTS i think those are probably the best. Picks it's anyone But torres. Unfortunately but, yeah the red system was tough going in and it's still kind of tough.
Speaker 2: NOW i think from that, Lens, yeah it.
Speaker 4: Was a tricky, one BUT i do Think akunya is a good. PICK i think he's become at least an intriguing arm for, them and he just got off the trips as. Well another guy who you know was In DOUBLE a all last year and was, solid but then this year looked a little better In DOUBLE a and now is up In TRIPLE, a and you, KNOW i think he's someone that whether it's out of, bullpit you, know in a kind of A swiss army, role like twenty three year old In TRIPLE a who's had a really good year all around for that organization and.
Speaker 2: Ten anding's off his career high while putting up these.
Speaker 3: NUMBERS i think he's really encouraging as well as somebody that you want to see be able to handle that starter's work.
Speaker 2: QUOTE i Think acunya is the shot.
Speaker 1: Too, YEAH i think.
Speaker 4: So last one in THE Nl central The pirates, ORGANIZATION i think this one's kind of a slam dunk for for who it will. Be you went With Christian, curtis, though which isn't a bad pick at. All this was our our. Grad Jay staff Loves Christian curtis and was telling him about, it telling us about him last.
Speaker 1: Year he's been really good this.
Speaker 4: Year SO i want to Give curtis And john before we go into the guy WHO i think is probably the pick.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah curtis is.
Speaker 3: GREAT i Think curtis is going to have a great big league. Career and we've talked about this story a little bit when we did the, pirates stop prospects is Botched Tommy john surgery or THE i don't know if the stitches didn't dissolve or they left him in or whatever it, was and then it pushed on a nerve and he had to have an emergency like surgery to fix, that and there was almost permanent damage to where he would forget pitch and be able to use his arm. Properly, ever, again thank, goodness he was took some time to get back from, that and ironically like he can spin the living crap out of the baseball and he still is fastball average twenty five hundred, rpm crazy ride to, it explodes through the, zone and the secondaries have always been. Exciting it's just, like, okay which is going to stand out and which is he gonna have the most consistent command Of and it seems like he's got a little bit of a better feel for. Everything the cutter off of the four SEAMER i, love the more gyro slider below that is. Great then straight below that you've got the curveball that will flip in with huge depth to it that can be hard to land, consistently as those curveballs typically, are and the change up has really come, along and you could be argued is his most reliable secondary maybe after the, Cutter BUT i love the, cutter change up slider combination and the taste breaking. Curveball you got a really good pitch mix that would be a good pitch mix to mask an iffy. Fastball that pitch micks to work. With a good fastball is, exciting AND i think that's why we've seen to have the success he's had this.
Speaker 2: Year it was a big part of it was just.
Speaker 4: Execution, yeah and he hasn't been the best in terms ofcounting stats this. YEAR i think you look at the numbers on the surface and you say he's been. Okay BUT i do, think like you, said the stuff is better than the numbers on the. Surface probably look For curtis numbers on the surface, Though Murph gray and an underlying and on the surface all the. Above Murf gray is the slam dunk pick here for The pirates organization of small school mid Major Fresno, state guy last coming out of college in last year's.
Speaker 1: Draft this, season Between.
Speaker 4: SINGLE a And HIGH a combined seventy five games of one SIXTY wrc, plus he's hitting three thirty four he's walking at a good, clip he's striking out at a reasonable.
Speaker 1: Rate Murf gray has been.
Speaker 4: Exceptional you wanted to see it translate from you, know SINGLE a obviously as a college, guy but it's carried it over pretty much completely Into. Hya.
Speaker 3: Now, YEAH i really want to see the double AND i feel like an a hole saying, That but you, know at the same, time he's done enough.
Speaker 2: To just absolutely solidify himself as as the. Breakout.
Speaker 3: Yeah another note On, Curtis HE'S i think just gonna be one of those guy that the el is never going to look great until he's in the, show and THEN i think we'll end up proving that this stuff is going to translate.
Speaker 2: There but it is. Funny it seems like the underlying is always better than the surface.
Speaker 3: With, gray like the fact that the strikeout rate and, increased but it also came with an almost proportionate increase in walk rate when he went from Low way to HIG. A all of the underlying stuff looks really. Strong the contact rates is, better honestly than the strikeout rate would imply, anyways and it's seventy six percent contact rate and being able to handle DOUBLE, A i would say it's, actually excuse, me relative to what the strikeout rate at the high level would, imply but the fact that he's elevating. Consistently it's an average launch and go of like eighteen, degrees and he just seems to have easy carry to all. Fields it's plus bat, speed and he seems to control his at bats pretty.
Speaker 2: Well it s at times he's At higa's got a little bit more expansive against the, spin so that'll just be something to.
Speaker 3: Monitor but he's just getting his a swing off consistently and generating carry to all. Fields AND i think the only bike hurdle that's keeping him back from, being you, know top one hundred guys just seeing how he would handle maybe double a spin as you can see sometimes against better, stuff breaking, stuff you know you could slow, down but it's eleven hundred oh, ps almost twlve hundred ops against, fastballs he's sitting four h, five hasn't seen a ton of, them but four h five against change ups and then even breaking. Balls he's handled hangers well, enough eight eighteen. Ops but that's where you can start to see some of the whiff creep, up and at high a those numbers have come down a little, bit But gray is their breakout without a, doubt and he's been awesome this.
Speaker 1: Year, yeah he's been.
Speaker 4: Exceptional let's take a break here before we get back into THE Nl. West jumping back in here on THE Nl west of OUR Nl breakouts, episode going through your breakout, predictions comparing them to who it probably should or could be at this point of the. Season The diamondbacks organization the ending of the, year you Picked Ashton izy of The.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks or right hander who was acquired at the?
Speaker 4: Deadline is he's been, Solid BUT i think it was actually a different player acquired via trade THAT i ended up picking out here from THAT dbx. Organization i'm curious if you had the same one in. Mind tell me a little About izzy and Then i'll tell you the name THAT i went.
Speaker 3: Too, yeah So, Isy, yeah that was a guy THAT i was also just loved that they had gotten in the. Trade and when the rare time you got to see The dbacks as, sellers they're clearly prioritizing arms there and you, know coming over from The mariners. Work but With, IZZY i JUST i like the balance of the pitch mix and when you look at, him this. YEAR i think a lot of solid, things but you, know it's also really important to note the environment that he's thrown in and in DOUBLE a That amarillo is a launch. Pad want to see a little bit better swing and miss numbers, there but still attacking the. Zone been good enough, overall but not a breakout by any.
Speaker 2: Means tough to break.
Speaker 3: Out AND i probably should have considered this when you're throwing your home games At amarillo and also just The Texas league this. Year oh my, gosh Like DIYer hope's eight sixty eight ohps is a one twenty FOUR wrc, Plus, like how is THAT i? WANT i want To i'm going to be doing once we get to the other side of The All Star, Break i'm going to be doing a dive into like how the ball is flying differently in these levels and just how different though the numbers are this year relative to other.
Speaker 2: Levels but is he IS a is a really well rounded pitch.
Speaker 3: MIX i think has this stuff to be a solid back into the rotation, starter four, seamers, sinker change, up, cutter, sweeper and more of a sweeping curve off of that he's got to execute to have.
Speaker 2: Success BUT i think we're seeing in a lot of ways that he can do. That, YEAH i.
Speaker 1: Picked Mitch brat.
Speaker 4: Here, actually it was just funny BECAUSE i know he's he's been in the big leagues a little bit this, year But brad just took a step. Forward he was he was acquired by it From texas last year and we saw it last.
Speaker 1: Year but this, year prior to.
Speaker 4: Getting up to the he made one big leak, out so he really has barely been in the big. Leagues but like In TRIPLE a this, season in a tough to pitch IN pcl, Two Bratt brat's throwing a two four R a on the.
Speaker 1: Year it's not the.
Speaker 4: Flashiest the strikeout numbers are a little down from last, year but he just commands the such a high clip and it's been really productive AND i think.
Speaker 1: We'll find a way to be a big league, piece even if it's kind of a swingman type of.
Speaker 2: Role, Yeah i've always Liked.
Speaker 3: Pratt it's just a guy that's going to find a way to get out and the deception seems to work for him and can you can spin a breaking ball, Too and he's just kind of that throwback lefty that makes it all. Work and another guy that has to just sees the pitching reno and THE pcl and it's really. Tough but even with the fastball being in the low, NINETIES i think with the way that he can work the curveball and the slider and the change up and just get weak contact where he needs, to like he's.
Speaker 2: Avoided he's only a lot of.
Speaker 3: Thirty three percent hard hit rate this, year thirty seven percent week contact, rate so he's getting more weak contact than hard, contact and it's it's harder to do than you, think AND i think it says.
Speaker 2: A lot about his pitch ability and just the feel that he has.
Speaker 3: Overall AND i think that's enough to potentially be a back into the rotation starters as long as he's consistently. Executing but as you, mentioned he at least a swingman kind of up and down, guy AND i think with the way that he's thrown this, year he's earned, himself you, know a look at the end of the season to have a two four.
Speaker 2: ONE era and reno.
Speaker 3: And that is, like that's, pitchability final boss, there because you the only way to do that is by getting more weak contact than hard. Contact AND i think it says a lot about the Way bratt can, throw and those guys are like when you're a pitch ability guy in the, minors is really hard to project how that's going to translate to the big. Leagues it's still hard to project how that's going to translate to the big leagusse big league hitters are, different, however trip away hitters playing on The moon can be close to big league, hitters and he's kept them At, Bay SO i do think that's something that can be work in his.
Speaker 2: Favor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, NO i think he can always be a big leak piece and that's you'll take. That and that's WHY i put it as a breakout because it. Is you, KNOW i don't know if that was he. Was he was a traded, prospect BUT i don't know if it was really projecting as as that much last.
Speaker 1: Year and now you see what he did this, year and he put him on the radar a little bit.
Speaker 2: MORE i think if we had like E a, plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's got to be pretty igh, right got to be off the. Charge, yeah it's got.
Speaker 4: To be super High dodgers, organization and you got a few more. Here you went With Landon, vedorik who was their third round pick last.
Speaker 1: Year it's been rough for a college guy that was a college guy in SINGLE.
Speaker 4: A he's rocking an eighty FOUR wrc plus so far this season with a strikeout rate pushing. Forty so this ONE i think is an Early hedge thumbs. Down and there is two NAMES i have THAT i think are the pretty clear picks here for The Doctor.
Speaker 3: Show this was definitely WHAT i was worried, about BUT i was, like if it, works he could be crazy because he hits the living crap out of the, baseball like we're talking, one, sixteen, one. Seventeens but, yeah just way way too much with and too Stiff.
Speaker 2: Christians his way.
Speaker 3: To, yeah also shout at him out in the video and just put out because he has been dynamite since getting promoted TO hia and it's his way To this is unique or excuse me to DOUBLE. A he's been dynamites since being promoted DOUBLE a as a twenty one year. Old it's, unique kind of almost unicorn type of fastball specs where he's releasing from a five to three release, height but he's getting seventeen inches avert and fourteen inches of, horizontal so it's just ridiculous run and, ride but also a seventeen excuse, me a seventy one percent strike rate from, there twenty five hundred our pm from this five through release height with crazy running.
Speaker 2: Rod it's just stupid.
Speaker 3: Stuff at ninety five miles per, hour you just don't find that very.
Speaker 2: Often so he's overwhelming hitters with.
Speaker 3: That but then With, zezueta you've got the cutter right in between there that he just commands the heck out. Of the changeup is probably the best pitch because you just can't tell the difference with the run and ride of the fastball from the low release to have the feel for the change up he has from that low release and it just parachutes off the. Fastball the whift rates on that pitch are. Ridiculous and then we'll have the sweeper that whole mix in as. Well but forty four percent whift rate on the change up with the. Fastball that sets the.
Speaker 2: Tone, Yeah zezuela is.
Speaker 3: Going to be a guy that you're hearing a lot about moving, forward AND i mean the numbers this year back it. UP i, mean some of the better strikeouts to walk you're gonna, find you, know in the minor.
Speaker 1: Leagues, yeah, uh he's been. Gross and THEN i also Think Chase harland deserves a shout.
Speaker 4: Here, yeah the guy who was a high school pick in twenty twenty, four who had eighteen years old, played spent a lot of the year in the complex last. Year this year between And HI a or in SINGLE, a destroyed the, ball and then has got to HIGH a in the past two weeks and is doing exactly what he was doing in SINGLE. A so nineteen year old still infielder from that twenty twenty four draft. Class SO i think he was drafted. It, yeah drafted at like a basically seventeen run on the border of, eighteen and he's been incredible this year in his second pro.
Speaker 3: Season people are gonna hate, it but these are two guys that are like top hundred prospects to. Me, yeah we've already Seen harlan pop one up an egg of olousy of one sixteen and he's succeeded one fifteen four different.
Speaker 2: Times he's nineteen years.
Speaker 3: Old you pair that with the fact That harlan's running a seventy three percent contact, right which is not bad at all for a guy with legitimately like eighty raw for his.
Speaker 2: Age, yeah it.
Speaker 3: Looks like a top one hundred guy for, mean as you, mentioned has not slowed down at high a. Either definitely a candidate as well the fact that he's only striking out the last and nineteen percent of the time this. Year with those kind of power, numbers this could be a really special player.
Speaker 2: Too In Harlan.
Speaker 4: Giants, organization you want with another recent draft pick here In Trevor cohen with your pick, here WHO i don't THINK i had two names written? Down The giants organ is a tough. One there's not really a true standout name, here And cohen's actually had a good, year.
Speaker 1: SO i don't think that's a bad pick.
Speaker 4: Necessarily one twenty THREE wrc plus in his first pro, season first full pro season at the high, level as as small as a college.
Speaker 1: Guy From, Rutgers so it's been a decent year For.
Speaker 4: Cohen the other two NAMES i wrote down shouting Was, whitman who we've talked about a little bit. Before he's taken a huge step forward from having what was not a good twenty twenty five. Season and Then Drew cavanaugh is a funny one because he's now in the big leagues but it's an interesting shout there from a guy who was In LOW a at the start of last year as a catcher and is now a big league catcher for The, giants which is a pretty crazy trajectory. There.
Speaker 3: YEAH i think both those guys are great shots because both were kind of forgotten about and almost trending towards non Prospect.
Speaker 2: Really witmen just kind of looked.
Speaker 3: Like an up and down guy at, best And cavanage you just did not figure would be up at the big league level catching. Games this was seventeenth round pick in twenty twenty three out of four To Southern kavanaugh looks like you could be a solid piece at, worst a big leak backup catcherp but has really developed nicely and tore Through DOUBLE a and then THE, pcl but even relatively, speaking like was phenomenal for that level, too just one sixty SIX wrc plus.
Speaker 2: At The TRIPLE a, Level So kavanaugh for.
Speaker 3: SURE i Think whitman is my pick, though because when we just put out The giants top prospects at Put whitman comfortably inside the top. Ten and this is actually a pretty good system that has gotten a lot better Because witman looks like a number four starter to me and at worst like a solid, five kind of ending seating.
Speaker 2: Five and there's a guy that last YEAR i would.
Speaker 3: Have been like and kind of a six starter for, you you, know maybe in a second division rotation could could maybe eat some innnings for. You now he looks like a legitimate has the upside to be a strong. Four the stuff is just better across the. Board he's striking out now ten per nine after streaking out what was it last year nine and a, half but to a five two nine era just JUST i think it's night and day in terms of the quality of. Stuff the command is, Better like everything just looks better to be in the, zone more dominating within the zone, more the stuff is, sharper the fastball specs are, better the feel for the breaking balls is. Better this is a big league starter to me and a guy THAT i would have just kind of been doubtful about that in the. Past and for that, REASON i THINK i Think whitman is the. Breakout Trevor cohen's been good and to me he looks like at least a worse a fourth. Outfielder BUT i also, like what's the best thing in the best scenario look like to probably not that different from, That so it's kind of a four ceiling thing and he just doesn't have the exciting pace to compliment that like A Kane kepley.
Speaker 2: Has So cohen's good looks like a guy that's a high probability big.
Speaker 3: Leaguer but and it's been a nice season for him at HIGH. A if he was maybe duplicating it in DOUBLE, a it'd be a similar store, like it'd be a little bit easier to sell. Him but ninety percent zone contact, right eighty three. Percent, overall he's clearly got a great field to. Hit it's just such a singles oriented.
Speaker 4: Approach, Yeah Rocky's. Org you went with another a little bit of a deep cut here another. One Wilder dallas was A dsl guy who last year was up to the complex and even up TO hiak or SINGLE a actually last year and had a really good. Season this year it's, been i'd say similar to the year. Before he's been mostly in SINGLE. A hasn't been necessarily a step, forward but has also been continually solid this. Season she's some, power she's some. Speed struck out where it's a bit, high but overall decent. Season For dallas so.
Speaker 3: Far, YEAH i would say it's more status quote for, him not quite a. BREAKOUT i just thought you saw some of the, tools you saw the bad, speed AND i think this is one where the breakout could come a year. Later And i'd just be like the not, wrong just early, thing because as you, mentioned nothing looks.
Speaker 2: Bad he's still just nineteen years.
Speaker 3: Old he's a switch hitter with again good batspeet from both sides of the, play pretty good field.
Speaker 2: To, hit solid underlying bad ball.
Speaker 3: Data just kind of waiting for it to all come together as he, matures and it's still another solid prospect in The rocky.
Speaker 2: System who did you have is like the correct.
Speaker 4: PICK i had a hard time with this. ONE i went With Eberson, casiano even though he's a little bit. Older it's the guy who came more from The, phillies twenty five year old pitcher who came over in the trade last year and last year was completely after. THAT i mean a six FOURY ra last season and this year between double and now triple actually in seventy, innings he's up to a two NINETY ra as a twenty five year, old so a little bit of a deeper cut, THERE i wasn't didn't have a clear. Guy Roaldie brito is a popular, name but he's been, good not, great and compared to last, Season cassiano was just someone that was kind of a nothing and now is something that could be In.
Speaker 3: Colorado, YEAH i think that's a pretty good shot BECAUSE i actually liked him way back in The rule, five which is. Funny, YEAH i remember that this guy that got, returned so relatively, speaking good good option there.
Speaker 2: Too AND i think Like Cole, krrick he's kind of mash at every.
Speaker 3: Spot but when you look at what he's, done what he did in THE, pcl and then what he's done at the big league level now this year, Too carrick's probably a good option, too just because he's making it happen at the highest.
Speaker 2: Level did everything you'd want to see in trip. Away, yeah you.
Speaker 4: Are going to get a thumb a thumbs mostly down On dallas notill still.
Speaker 1: Early but a seventy five percent. DOWN i would, say.
Speaker 2: Here's a thumbs down for, sure.
Speaker 1: Last one of The padres.
Speaker 4: Organization this is a little bit of a of a dunk on you one for, Sure But Jorge kintana was your pick not to be confused with the veteran left hand to Pitcher Jorge, kintana but nineteen year old Shortstop Hory King tana of The padres. Organization last year at the complex was, solid got up to SINGLE a at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Year so far in SINGLE a this, year it has been a really.
Speaker 2: Rough year For.
Speaker 4: Kantana sixty seven W r plus he's hitting two twenty eight in his first full season of affiliated.
Speaker 2: Goal, yeah not.
Speaker 3: Great this was a tough system, too like to find the. Answer jore another guy that it was intriguing at the lower levels with with The brewers and had some intriguing like aspects to his. Game there's some, tools some flash THAT i think generated some buzz ahead of of him joining The padre system and just hasn't quite happened for him. There it's got a stink for him to get traded from The brewers. There it's BECAUSE i think that The brewers had a very specific plan with him, developmentally but it's a lot of that still is on. Him the quality of contact isn't, There like the swing decisions haven't been very. Good there's just not really anything that has stood out on a positive side For King tom SO i CAN'T i can't really add much other than just not a good. Pick who would you have? Had this is a tough.
Speaker 4: One even, then we've talked About Ryan Ryan wideman a little bit so far on the. SHOW i Think Jake cunningham kind of a deep shout, here but a twenty twenty three draft pick In cunningham THAT i ended up putting as my name here because he was someone that last year was not good With. Baltimore came over as a free agent signing as a minor league free agent signing From baltimore this offseason With San diego and actually has put together a good. Year he put up a one thirty ONE wrc plus And hya has now gotten promoted to DOUBLE a a super deep.
Speaker 1: Cut Probably widemann is a little bit better of a. Pick Cunningham white a. Man there's not a ton of great picks in This padres system.
Speaker 3: Here, YEAH i, mean very rare to have a min and The padres are so good on the scouting, side and very rare to have a minor league free agent. Signing a lower level minor league free agent sign right give you a one thirty ONE wrc plus right after you sign. Him, so and that's what it's been at HIGH a and then you getting up to double so a lot of swing and, miss but there's some tools there and seventeen.
Speaker 1: Homers, yeah his career high was four before this.
Speaker 3: Year, yeah like it's what The padres do. Something that's why pro is cool making all the. Trades AND i Think wideman's still a good. Shout he's gonna steal like eighty bags this year and has hit his way up To HI a as a guy that at the end of the day you probably want to see a little bit more offensively to be a full fledged, breakout but he was really good at Low way was his second taste to the. Level but there's not really a clear cut one here in the. System and unless we're missing, one let us know in the comments and we'll be sure to try to give it a shout next.
Speaker 2: Episode but it's always tough with The padre. System.
Speaker 1: Yeah Carrington cross is another. One he's, older BUT i know he has mashed this.
Speaker 4: Year so interesting, name but there's just a lot of lesser known names in the system and some that have been. Good just nobody that like jumps out at you as like the breakout.
Speaker 3: Guy one hundred. Percent that'll do it for this. Episode we've Got Futures game roster check. In we're going to go on The American league And National league side later this, week and then we will do a big heat, sheet maybe two of. Them who knows to catch up on draft last. Week so because we're overdue for a couple of weeks here. Now but as, always thank you for. Listening keep an eye. Out we're going to be doing some fun stuff All star. Week of course in person coverage from The future's, game plenty of interviews out. There the other thing That i'm excited about is if you're in The philly, area we're gonna be An Other Half brewery for The All Star game doing triviaan a watch. Party please come on out and hang out with us during the. Game we would love to see you. There that will be during The All Star Game Other Half brewery it's.
Speaker 2: Called but keep an eye. Out we're gonna have some really fun coverage All All star a week. Long as, always thank you for. Listening let's talk prospects with you later this.
Speaker 1: Week