Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: One of the things we want to get to too is a story that we've been keeping an eye on, and that has to do with Broadcom and the company apparently in talks with a group of lenders to raise more than sixty billion dollars in debt from AICHIP financing deal that will benefit Anthropic and other companies, according to people with knowledge of the matter of this right through, let me just see it hit just after the closing ball and just real quickly, let me just pull it up and see if we've seen, yeah, you see shares a broadcome just up about four tens of a percent or show here in the aftermarket.
Speaker 3: We should get to it with Ryan Gold.
Speaker 1: He is Bloomberg News Deal reporter and he is in the Bloomberg News Washington d CPR Hey busy, busy guy. Uh, these deals fast and furious. Tell us about Broadcom, Ryan, would you find out?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sure, good to see Carol. As always, I think this one is if this, you know, this comes to lie, comes to pass, this would be among the largest that we've seen of this type of deal. I want to just throw us back a little bit to June when we saw Broadcom announced that that partnership with Blackstone and Apollo, where essentially they were looking to strike an agreement to provide sort of twenty gigawats of compute globally for AI deployment. I mean, I think you could probably see this as some kind of extension of that agreement of sorts. This would essentially see Blackstone and Apollo participate again per our sourcing and reporting in a deal that could essentially see Wallcom lineup as much much is one hundred billion dollars in debt. I mean, when you put that together, it's sort of thirty billion being provided by Apollo and Blackstone, and then Broadcom itself essentially looking at maybe backstopping such guaranteeing somewhere in the region of sixty to seventy billion dollars per sourcing. So not insignificant. And I think this is kind of you know, where the trend is sort of heading right now, which is just this insatiable need for AI compute to use the job.
Speaker 1: And I will just say the market takes it or we'll see, right like, ultimately that's what we continue to watch if there's the investor appetite. But as we talked earlier at the beginning of our broadcast with Ira Jersey and Michael McKenzie, you know, investors are you know, offering these corporate offerings for debt are higher than what you're seeing maybe in treasuries and potentially crowding out increasingly the interest I should say when it comes to treasury demand.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Ran, I mean, do we have an understanding yet of like what kind of debt this would take form of? I mean, we know that Blackstone and Apollo will be leading the financing, but you have to imagine that they're going to be several different tranches and they'll be selling this to other institutional.
Speaker 5: Investors, right totally. Yeah. So, I mean, in the in the story we just put out that just coross a short while ago. I mean, I think the best way to probably think about this is that the Blackson and Apollo piece will be a junior piece and then sort of chunk the slug that Broadcom is looking to. You know that that sixty billion piece, if you will, is going to be you know, senior secured, and they are out to two banks among others as part of that group. You know that you would have to expect that there will be a number of banks here that would be looking to help will come with this because I think, you know, if you think about the just the sort of cost of providing something on this scale, I mean, Broadcom is looking to do this as efficiently as possible. In Hog ten, the CEO of Broadcom is known for this very very intricate kind of financial engineering, and in fact, I think Broadcom has become kind of an industry leader in this in this part of the sort of chips financing space. So I mean, when you say think about this in the round, this is kind of unprecedented. But for for if anyone's going to pull this something like the self, the people will come.
Speaker 6: It definitely just shows right Ryan, like how expensive it is for these companies to build out all of the AI infrastructure with that prior deal that Blackstone Apollo led. It was thirty five billion dollars, but it was only to build out capacity for one gigawat you know, of compute. And in your story here, you know, we're talking about a partnership that could eventually reach twenty gigawatts of compute. So there's gonna be a lot more of these, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean this is I think this is kind of the tip of the iceberg, and I think you have to wonder. You know, we sort of single out Onthropic at the top of that story on the Bloomberg, but you know, there are also going to be other companies and the beneficiaries of this deal, and this will come out in the wash. But I think if you're if you're looking on now, I mean, do you think about the agreements of woll compas with other companies including Apple. We saw that out there. They have their cord that they announced earlier this year. I don't want to throw it back there, but I will go there. I mean, you know, do we start to talk about the circular financing things?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I don't know, perhaps.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but here we are, you know, and I think this is something we have to watch, right Ryan, I've just I go back to the interest. I mean, as long as investors are willing to support it, why wouldn't you tap the credit markets or the debt markets and continue with the fundraise. I will say when we talk to Ourmandy seeing a Bloomberg intelligence who looks at the AI spend as a whole, I mean, a lot of the fundamentals seem to continue to be there in terms of backlogs and demand. We saw that on the recent earnings, and a lot of folks anticipate who are in this sector, mind you, they might be talking their book expect us to continue for a couple more years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think that's probably true. I think you also have to think about this in the context of the Nvidia transaction that we saw. You know, those that group of CEOs Goldman, I mean, David Solomon was there, Larry Think was involved, that group of that group of financing partners sort of coming together for one provider. I mean, now you have a sense to where I think more Come is probably going more down the private capital route. I think it's just it's it's different, right, I think it's two sides of the same coin in a way. I think investors will clearly take a view on sort of the securitization of all of this. I think the in Video agreement itself still has a little bit of uh, you know, there are a few details there that still need to be sort of fleshed out as far as how you actually securitize those chips as a financing class and that's a class. Sorry, but you know that itself was entirely novel. This is this is also novel. I think that in Video deal did obviously unnerve a few people, but this is just I think people having to think on the fly here as far as the SAI financing rollout is concerned, right.
Speaker 1: And maybe it's just a case of it's just so massive that we've got to be innovative disrupt a little bit. Or when you start to innovate or disrupt too much, is it a sign that maybe something's not quite right? And this is what we're all trying to figure out here. But the cap RaSE is still happening. Ryan, thanks so much for jumping on. This is obviously a big story for us continuously, so good to get your view on that.
Speaker 3: Of course. Is are Ryan Gould. He's Bloomberg News Deals reporter, out there in DC. Stay with us.
Speaker 1: More from Bloomberg Business Weekdaily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily Podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US Live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Hey, Wells Fargo today out publishing its first GLP one report.
Speaker 6: There's so much money invested in these GLP one so the banks have to get involved.
Speaker 3: They all know well they do, right.
Speaker 1: And what's interesting is I feel like the last three years it's been AI and GLP one and there's been certainly ups and downs in the narrative has changed. Specifically this report, it is their first of its kind from Wells Fargo. It's about how GLP ones are reshaping America's health spending, habits and healthcare system.
Speaker 6: Emily, I thought this was a very interesting perspective because you hear a lot about how these weight loss drugs are impacting like what people are eating and like snack companies bose if they're losing weight exactly. But this is specifically on the healthcare system. So let's get into it. We're joined now by Robin Wenzel, head of Wells Fargo Industry Insights with us from Minneapolis. Robin, great to see you, Thanks for joining us. Tell us about this report and why now, why look into this trend right now?
Speaker 7: Thanks so much for having me. It's great to be here. You know.
Speaker 8: One of the reasons why is we have a large healthcare practice, a dedicated team that specializes in and we like to make sure we stay ahead of a lot of the topics and conversations that impact those businesses. So for us looking at jop ones, we've all certainly seen a lot of conversation around how it impacts consumer purchasing and grocery stores sales, but we really wanted to dig in and understand the implication for the healthcare industry, and many of the things that we found were quite surprising to us, Like what you know, I'll start with bariatric surgeries. If we look at the rate of bariatric surgeries between twenty twenty two and twenty twenty four, we saw them declined by over thirty percent, and that was at a time where we saw GLP usage rise by about one hundred and twenty percent. So veriatric surgery has really been a go to for managing late stage obesity and helping to bring.
Speaker 7: That weight down.
Speaker 8: And when we look at the impact of GLP ones, really a game changer in terms of results and being able to help people get that weight off in a very effective manner. So being able to use that pharmaceutical off ramp to avoid surgery is certainly a nice outcome for many people. Conversely, though, on the other side, we do see people that we're not able to get the veriatric surgery, but the GLP ones are allowing them to get to a healthier weight that allows that surgery to be possible.
Speaker 1: So great for people, right, But you know, when I think about healthcare, great for people and great and probably extending their lives in so.
Speaker 3: Many different ways.
Speaker 1: But I do think about the impact too on like healthcare systems and hospital systems. Right that they're doing less surgeries.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, and I think what we have to look at.
Speaker 8: Is understand that this is a long term solution to obesity, So it can take time for these drugs to take effect to have impacts, So certainly a lot of the care that these patients receive will be ongoing. It's going to be a slow off ramp for them. But it's also nice to be able to have some other solutions and open the doors for others who have been battling obesity and some of the complications with it. I think for hospitals it's an opportunity to really change the game and maybe the profit centers for helping these patients so it can become more about outpatient services, medication management, management of side effects, and really you're on these weight loss drugs for life, so the ongoing help and support to patients.
Speaker 6: How are the drugs reshaping what pharmaceutical companies choose to pursue and do research on.
Speaker 7: You know, that's a great question, and it's an interesting one. We can see that the late.
Speaker 8: State pipeline of pharmaceutical R and D is heavily weighted towards GLP ones and it's not necessarily just for obesity. We are seeing other opportunities coming out of these drugs and potential opportunities. One is the treatment of substance abuse, specifically alcohol abuse, and so we've seen some research going into that. We've certainly heard about maybe some positive results around Parkinson's disease and dementia. So I think expanding and understanding these drugs and how they can help with other disorders is really a focus for some of these manufacturers.
Speaker 1: Kay, I feel like Robin, I'm the Debbie Downer here. I'm just going to go there. No, I've kitted with our reporter Madison Muller, who has covered this space extensively and so smartly, But it does feel like this is the drug that can cure so much that ails us. Having said that, it's also a reminder that having extra weight or being obese is a problem for your health. It's a reality and I don't want to get into how that can get you know, people uncomfortable about criticizing that, but it's just a fact of life right in terms of your health. But the other thing what I'm thinking about is how does the emphasis and stress a GLP wants maybe crowd out R and D spending on other drugs that also need to be discovered.
Speaker 8: You know, So they're taking up a bigger share of the late stage R and D pipeline, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're taking out dollars. So we can see that GLP brouds have outpaced onpology, you know, as a percentage of R and D spend, But that doesn't mean that those dollars towards oncology have diminished. In fact, they haven't. So I think what we're seeing is that we have a very widespread problem, specifically here in the US, with forty percent of US adults classified as obese. It's a medical diagnosis and so finding treatment for this population. As you said, it's all aspects of their health. So there's a cardiovascular element to this too, So it's really not just a weight loss drug. It's a cardio metabolic drug, and so it can be a game changer towards the health and prevention for many many people, impacting several that can benefit from this drug and enjoy a much healthier life.
Speaker 1: I've seen it directly, like impact people and just they are so much healthier, and it's just their their outlook and situation is so much better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, Robin, what are the This is pivoting a little bit, but I do want to ask what are the investment implications from this report? What do investors need to know.
Speaker 8: You know, who are looking at a situation where it's heavily weighted towards these drugs, and so any sort of disruption that could happen supply constraints, those would ripple through and they would have an impact, maybe broader than most people would expect. I do think there's a lot of research still to be done, and so the fact that there's money and capital going into it is a good thing. The other good thing is we are seeing the results and so it is very promising in many areas. I'm encouraged by the investment, but I would just caution that it could have some larger impact.
Speaker 7: So do any hiccups happen along the way?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: One of the things I wanted to ask you, like orthopedics or something like that, where losing weight or being slummer can be better on your joints. It's not so much stress and so on and so forth. So maybe there's less demand for surgeries or so on.
Speaker 3: But at the same time.
Speaker 1: If GLP ones, which is a good thing, is enabling folks to live longer and being a drug that's so productive in helping a lot of different things, that certainly an individual that might orthopedics benefit because we're just around longer, we're going to all need kind of an overhaul.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's an excellent point, and I don't think the data has settled on it yet. So you know, on one hand, one of the side effects of long term obesity.
Speaker 7: Is that wear and tear on the joints. It's the heap replacement of the hip replacements.
Speaker 8: If we're able to prevent the weight and keep the weight off, that could in theory reduce the need for those extra interventions. However, you know, as you point out, if you become healthier, you lose weight, you can become more active. You know, we can see a whole new slew of runners out there right and people embracing exercise.
Speaker 7: So it's a mixed bag.
Speaker 8: And I'll go back to to the the opportunity that that weight loss presents again, people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for the surgery, now it opens the doors for them as well by allowing them to lose weight and get a little healthier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, I love this. I love this deep dive. Thank you so much, really really appreciate it. Robin Wendel joining us. She is head of Wells Fargo Industry Insights.
Speaker 3: Joining us from Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: Their new report about how jlp ones are reshaping the business of healthcare.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and the Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: We're going to head out to our West coast, San Francisco and Laura Blushe is senior editor for Bloomberg Business Week.
Speaker 3: Hey, Laura, good to have you here with us. A lot going on.
Speaker 1: Tell us, I feel like we were talking earlier a little bit about climate change, heating temperatures, landfills though have been a problem for a while.
Speaker 3: What's going on and what did you guys pick up on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much for having me. I mean, just to set the stage a little bit. You know, every one of us, we all generate waste, we're all interacting with it every single day, and yet I think so many of us have the privilege of not thinking very much about what happens to it when it leaves our hand or the curb side barrel. But this story and kind of this reporting project that my colleague Rachel and I have been working on for the last year plus really looks at you know, where does it go and what are some of the kind of unexpected consequences. And so the more wastes that we're generating, the bigger landfills are getting and one of the kind of downstream consequences of that are these overheating landfills. And so in our most recent story which published this morning, which was a fall up to a big investigation we did last year, we looked at public records from about one hundred landfills in twenty different states and found that many of them are reaching much much hotter temperatures than you know, federal regulations want them to be reaching, and in some cases this is generating really significant problems for the communities nearby. As one example, the images you're seeing right now if you're watching, are from Shoesmith Landfill, which is outside Richmond, Virginia, where super hot temperatures this is like almost two hundred degrees fahrenheit inside the waste in the landfill are causing problems like millions of gallons of leech eate, which is essentially trash juice to kind of be pouring out of the landfill, which is getting into yeah, some of which has been found getting into local waterways. Hot landfills can also be incredibly odorous. They can release toxic emissions, you know, neighbors and another one of these sites in LA you know, have said they've been sickened with things like headaches and nausea and even more serious health problems like cancer, which public health officials have been looking into. And so this current story really looked at how are operators, the landfill companies, as well as regulators responsible for protecting public health environmental health responding to you know, elevated temperatures when they're getting reports that this is happening. And what we're finding is that they're really not taking the steps to intervene that experts say are needed to prevent these situations from getting much worse.
Speaker 6: Okay, I want to talk more about that, but just first, can you remind us how does a landfill overheat? Why would that happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a really good question, and this is actually a surprisingly contentious question. I mean, so just at a kind of baseline, this is a little bit chemistry one on one. Right, you know, landfills naturally generate some heat, right, waste is breaking down. It's supposed to be an anaerobic process, which means no oxygen in the waste. It's decomposing it's releasing you know, methane. That's probably what you've heard the most about when you think about landfill landfill problems and kind of their environmental impact. But sometimes these landfills can get much much hotter than they're supposed to be. And why that is can be for a number of reasons. The landfill industry, the waste industry, you know, in response to reporting like mine, says, you know, there's no fire here. What these elevated temperature landfills are the results of are like chemical properties of the waste. It's it's nothing to do with fire. Regulators disagree in some cases and say, no, actually, we have evidence that there's actually oxygen getting in and that's like blowing air on a fire, and you're actually you're actually you know, seeing the potential result of like a subsurface fire. So there's actually debate on exactly what is happening here. But what we do know is that these temperatures are going up, you know, to much higher levels than they're supposed to be. Other things like carbon monoxide also reaching much much higher levels, and one way or the other, whether it's a fire or something else. You know, the technical experts that we've been talking to are saying, you know, what is being done is really not enough to prevent these reactions from spreading and from creating the kinds of problems I mentioned earlier.
Speaker 1: Laura, as you go through this, I mean, there's so much in this, this investigative piece that you guys have done, second investigative piece. You know, we're talking about costs, right, and there's certainly cost on individuals and their lives, there's the impact on the climate. But you also, you know, we are into numbers here at Bloomberg, and you talk about for the Shoe Smith landfill, the cost of long term cleanup, including keeping the trash juice from leaking into the creek, a possibility officials have called catastrophic, estimated one hundred and seventy three million dollars. And you point out Virginia, tex taxpayers might have to pay that price because shoe Smith Brothers, which has had a history, as you point out, of environmental violations, has declared bankruptcy and abandoned the site.
Speaker 3: But somebody's going to have to clean it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's a really really situation outside of Richmond that I think locals are in some ways just waking up to that. You know, the state is just sort of waking up to the kind of implications of and you know, I think it's it's in some ways an outlier because yes, this company has declared bankruptcy and that is creating this huge kind of question mark around who pays the price. But yeah, I mean the cleanup associated with these sites is really significant. You know, I don't have the number off the top of my head, but Shiquita Canyon in La County, right, that is, that has been a multi million dollar cleanup effort that the operator Waste Connections has had to undertake. And so yeah, this is this is becoming like an ongoing challenge that you know, these operators bike waste management, waste Connections public services like are aware of.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean where's the regulators? Where's the inspections? Like help me out here?
Speaker 1: I mean if it was my backyard, I certainly would be knocking on a regulator's door. But I know sometimes these landfills are in places maybe not so close to folks, But where are they?
Speaker 3: Where are the inspections?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, so actually, you know, they they are near a lot of people. We found that, you know, in our analysis of one hundred landfills, the twenty hottest you know, which have surpassed these levels that the EPA says don't go past them because it might mean a fire or another problem. Over a million people live near these sites, so they're not all as kind of rule as you might expect. Yeah, I mean, what are people sort of doing about it? You know, there's been I think significant uproar, certainly with the one in La County and Virginia. Landfills in Ohio Missouri have again all sort of you know, led to community efforts to draw attention and in some cases that you know that is leading to change. In California, after our story was published last year, the state did update its regulations addressing a number of the issues that we'd uncovered with this story. So you ask where the regulators are, you know, they're just often taking kind of the what the operators are telling them that there's no fire here, there's no problem here, We've got these temperatures under control, largely at face value, and you know, kind of signing off on higher and higher temperatures. Actually, in the course of reporting this, this story which published this morning, we found that two states, Oregon and Pennsylvania, actually did start to ask harder questions after our outreach for comment. Virginia and Ohio are also in the process of you know, updating their guidance or regulations, so increasing scrutiny of this of the waste industry. So so states are becoming aware that this is an issue that they need to be across. But I think part of the story here, right, is that you know, many a lot of the regulation enforcement of this issue happens at the state level. You know, these are agencies that have lost significant staffing you know, in recent years and resources. So in some places, like you only have a couple inspectors you know, for the entire state dealing with lots of different issues. And certainly at the federal level, right, the federal EPA, which is also you know, in charge of the regulations here, like, has seen like a twenty five percent you know, staffing cut in the last year and a half. So so this is I think in part a question of kind of resources and just training.
Speaker 3: No, that's a fair point. That's a fair point.
Speaker 1: As we said, a lot of reporting, as you said, working on it for over a year or about a year, and this is part of a really a second story and a follow up. Highly recommend everybody check it out more. Thank you really glad you join us. Yeah, Laura Bliss, Senior editor at Bloomberg Business Week out there in our San Francisco bureau.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Weekdaily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: You are listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Our next guest, though, has a really vantage point, unique vantage point when it comes to retail. We're talking about Masonet, which is launching something called Neon Rebels, an online platform specifically for the tween age group. They're known for their clothing and items for a younger set, but they're certainly branching out. So let's find out exactly why they're doing it and why. Now we welcome aj Nichols, she's president of Mazonet, joining us here in our Bloomberg Interactive Broker studio.
Speaker 9: Welcome, Welcome, thank you, it's great to be here.
Speaker 3: It's great to have you here.
Speaker 1: You guys have been doing this since twenty seventeen, tell us first of all, before we get into the news and the announcement and the launch, tell us about the retail sector. I know you've got kind of a unique also perhaps or demographic in terms of buyers, but tell us what you guys have been seeing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, I think thus far twenty twenty six has been a really strong year for retail and rebounding from some historically tougher years. I think Mason we launched in twenty seventeen, We've been around for a long time, and we are a marketplace for those who don't know for all things children, apparel, accessories, toys, home year and historically we've really served the zero to six age range, and what we've seen is a very strong appetite from our customers for that older kids segment ages seven to fourteen. And so what we've announced this week is a new marketplace that will live also on mazonet dot com called Neon Rebels to serve that demographic, which is hard in the retail space because super competitive, it's competitive, faical, and kids are fickle at that age. You really see that growing out of wanting to be dressed by their parents and wanting to start to exert some independence and autonomy and really have a say over their style, whether it's what they were to school or what they have in their bedroom. And so the marketplace that we're creating is really meant to serve that customer with this co shopping in mind, because at the end of the day, the parent is still the one spending the money and you know, getting out their credit card and they want to make sure that their kid is actually going to wear it and it's not just going to sit in a closet. And so that's we've tried to take that work out of parents. So we have one hundred brands on Neon Rebels, everything from apparel, accessories, beauty, which is very hard to shop for in that age, range, home electronics to really cater to that market and take the work out of what parents go through, which is typically having you know, twenty tabs open on your screen, and so we're curating that for them.
Speaker 6: Okay, so who's using the website. Then it's the both logging on or it's both both.
Speaker 9: Yes, I think teens at that age, you know, when you start to hit eight plus, they know what they want and they want to have a say, and so We've created an experience where they can shop and a brand that feels on brand for them. And that was important to us because Mason at our core business has typically catered to zero to six. Why now, Well, what's been interesting for us is so we launched in twenty seventeen, and so we've been around for nine years, and we started to see, you know, over twenty percent of our customers have kids over the age of seven. The twain market for US has grown thirty percent over the past several years, and so that demand was really organic to our customer base. And I think when you look in the market, you know, the children's global market is a two hundred and twenty five billion dollar business. Age ten plus is the fastest growing within that segment, and so there's a huge market opportunity.
Speaker 1: Eight million of it on my own. Yeah, one daughter, he's not twenty three, but I feel you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you've been through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 9: And so yeah, and I think, you know, most of our customers are millennials who when we were kids, there was the Delia's catalog, there was limited too, and there's this nostalgia I think for the millennial parent who wants to have that further her kids, but that doesn't really exist. And that's what Neon Rebels is solving.
Speaker 6: What tell us about the beauty segment and how is that specifically driving growth? Because I think some people hear beauty and they think a you know, sector that's more for an adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think I think with social media, younger girls want to start experimenting, but they don't know how, you know, they see YouTube videos, et cetera, and parents.
Speaker 3: They don't really need to contour, no.
Speaker 9: And parents don't want to spend time looking at ingredients of what's in a product. And so we've also taken that work away from parents having to do it themselves. So we have Yesterday, we have JB Scrub. We have these brands that are completely geared towards that demographic that don't have the ingredients that you wouldn't want a ten year old putting on their face.
Speaker 3: You know, It's interesting.
Speaker 1: We had someone I work with her nine year old daughter was in recently and I said to her, and she's beautiful and gorgeous skin and just you know, charming as.
Speaker 3: Eight nine year olds can be. And I'm like, do you want to go to the makeup room and she's like, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and didn't hesitate, wasn't She was just lovely and fun and I think I think they didn't even put enough on because she was having you know.
Speaker 3: But it was just so much fun.
Speaker 1: I am curious though, about the role of social media, because I saw my daughter transition from where I would be involved and we do things and step to all of a sudden, she's like, Mom, it's here. I've never heard of the brand, and that's what I want. So I'm just curious, like, how do you kind of incorporate that in and keep that as a part of it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's interesting how this demographic discovers brands and trends totally. And we spent a lot of time as a team talking about that from a marketing perspective because it is sensitive for that demographic, and I think our point of view, especially as a company we have so many employees to our parents, we very intentionally said we don't want to market to that age range on social media, and so we're going to use catalogs. We're going to have in person events for them where they can do arts and crafts and do more tactile things so that.
Speaker 3: We're not's not teenagers, right.
Speaker 4: It's both.
Speaker 9: Fourteen is sort of the age range that we're going up to, and so of course there's then the legal sensitivities as well of how you can market to that age range.
Speaker 3: So we will of.
Speaker 9: Course market to parents and you know, the millennial parent on social media, which is a big part of our marketing strategy. But for the child themselves, I think creating us as a more analog brand for them to discover the one hundred different brands we'll have on our platform is really important.
Speaker 6: So you said catalog, you have a physical catalog too.
Speaker 9: We will have a physical quality.
Speaker 3: Catalog because I'm overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: I get on a website and it's just like too much many categories and how do I and like just filter it for me, like I really.
Speaker 9: Yah, And kids love to flip through that and tag pages and circle items that they want. The holidays are a huge time for us, so Halloween for that younger age segment zero to six, and so the college with costumes and then into holiday as well. So we'll have a catalog to capture all of.
Speaker 3: That really cool stuff.
Speaker 1: So supply chains and tariffs, it's not things that do worry too much about in terms of pricing, just real quickly.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, the great thing about a marketplace is we can shift into things. And so our international business, which is an important piece of our business, they are facing more headwinds than the domestic business because of tariffs and margin compression and pricing, and so we've seen deceleration in that segment and so we've pushed into the domestic market with those vendors a little bit. So it's something that I think all retail businesses are seeing. But luckily, as a marketplace, we can address it in the right way.
Speaker 6: Great Statian costume of the year, we'll see.
Speaker 9: We've just launchtar Halloween Shop yesterday, ok to early check it out. Check it out.
Speaker 1: Halloween is so much fun, especially when you've got a little one and you get to like, yeah, it's so much fun. Come back stand touch. Yes, I'd love to know how things are going. Aj Nichols. She's president of Mason at Joining Us.
Speaker 3: Right here.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com. The iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal