Speaker 1: Hi and everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan Horde and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast. The I'm Still stand. In addition, as the Bengals win for the second time in their last three games and pull within a game of first place in the AFC North after beating the Cardinals in Arizona thirty four to twenty. Coming up, you'll hear radio replays, locker room comment from players and coaches, and postgame analysis from Dave Lapham. Then, in this week's Fun Facts Conversation, I cover a wide variety of topics with Orlando Brown Junior, including why he was responsible for an incident that infuriated Ohio State fans. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by kettering Health the best Care for the Best Fans. Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered write to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since the breakfast sandwich at day Lily Deli. It occurs to me that quite a few of my greatest things are food items. Hopefully I've never steered you wrong. And my latest recommendation is the egg on a roll at the day Lily Deli in the Columbia Tusculum neighborhood of Cincinnati. That's what it's called on the menu, but I order it with eggs, American cheese and getta, and it is tremendous if you're not from Cincinnati. Getta is a sausage patty with oats and spices, similar to scrapple in other parts of the country. In any case, the day Lily Deli breakfast sandwich is big, delicious and not that expensive. And now that I've described it for I might just have to get one on Monday morning. Now let's get to football and the radio replays from the Bengals first ever regular season win in Arizona. Burrow is set, stops the right foot, catches the snap from Karris looking right, scrambling right, throws it.
Speaker 1: Back in the raft and is caught in the back of the end zone. Jamar Chase doing the gritty for the first time in twenty twenty three, and the Bengals take a six nothing lead. The Bengals will settle for a forty yard field goal try for Evan McPherson. Robbins catches, places the ball down. Here comes the kick gets on its way and it is good. Three receivers right, two left, tops back to throw. He's gonna float it downfield over the shoulder. Catch, made it the five yard line and it's a touchdown for Hollywood Brown. He got a step on Jalen Davis and Dobbs made a perfect throw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: Dobbs in the gun, he has the ball.
Speaker 1: He's back to throw his pass caught right at the goal line for a touchdown. Guess who zach Ertz Who spikes it emphatically As the Cardinals take the leaves. Burrow in the shotgun on fourth down and goal from the one, mixing lines up to his right. Burrow hands it to Mixon. He goes oh, waiting for the signal. No touchdown signal, Yeah, they say he did not get in.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Second down and ten, the Cardinals at their own one, Dobbs to throw his pass, picked off, Bengals have it tam Taylor into the end zone and the Bengals get a touchdown after all.
Speaker 3: About it amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: First and ten Bengals from their own thirty seven. Burrow will fake two, Mixing he's gonna fling it deep down field for Jamar Chase.
Speaker 4: He catches it at the ten.
Speaker 1: And takes it into the end zone. Touchdown, Bengals sixty three yards. The magic is back as Burrow throws it deep and Chase takes it into the end zone for the long touchdown.
Speaker 2: First and ten at the Cincinnati eleven. They give it to de Mercado, running wide to the left, gets away from Pratt, Logan Wilson grabs him lunches toward the pylon.
Speaker 1: Touchdown Arizona. Fourth and one, the Cardinals going for it in the red zone. Dobbs catches a high snap, runs to the right and gets hit by Pratt and tack not short of the first down. The Bengals defense stops the Cardinals on fourth and one, Jermaine Pratt bringing Dobbs to the ground and the Bengals get the ball back. Burrow catches the shotgun snap fakes to Mixing. Now scrambling up the middle of the field, He takes off and runs thirty five, goes into a feet first slide with a first down, gives the first down signal, drops the ball like dropping the mic. After running to the thirty eight for a ten yard.
Speaker 3: Game, the CAF is no longer an issue.
Speaker 1: Second and goal from the three burrow in the gun he catches at the eight. He fakes to mix and now rolling to the right, back pedaling to the thirteen, throws Jamar Chase on the back line of the episode with his third touchdown catch as he sets on new Bengals record with his fourteenth catch up the game.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: On first and ten, Dobbs with a play action faigure comes the rush. Hendrickson knocks the ball out. The Bengals dive after and appear to recover at the twenty eight yard line. A strip sack for Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable and that's the fifth fumble by Dobbs and he's lost three of them. Trey Henderson strips.
Speaker 1: It, Sam Hubbard recovers it. H Boys five minutes two seconds to go, fourth down and two for the Cardinals. Dobs back to throw from the pocket, bouncing throws broken up and intercepted. It was deflected up in the air. Jermaine Pratt comes down with the ball.
Speaker 3: Down fourth down, but those instincts are you go get the football.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow called it a must win game for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Bayou Bengals. Burrow and Chase combined to make sure that they got that win. Three touchdown catches Burrow to Chase and a franchise record fifteen receptions for Jamar. The Bengals win it by the final score of thirty four to twenty. With the win, the Bengals are two and three and just a game behind the Ravens and Steelers in the AFC North. After Pittsburgh beat Baltimore on Sunday seventeen to ten. The Browns had a bye and are a half game ahead of Cincinnati at two and two. Now, let's take you inside the locker room, beginning with Joe Burrow. The guy who looked as mobile as the Statue of Liberty last week in Tennessee looked well normal in Arizona. Burrow moved around in the pocket when needed, and even had that ten yard scramble that had Jamar Chase shaking.
Speaker 5: His I looked around and turned that TN sa T, what the hell is he doing? I don't know if T harrit me, but I definitely he turned around and looked at T like, what the hell? I mean, if he feels good and he feels like he could run do it. I'm not gonna tell you him what to do. You know, I already don't listen to him.
Speaker 2: It was a hell of a performance, and Dave Lapham discussed it with Burrow after the game.
Speaker 3: Thirty six for forty six, three hundred and seventeen yards, three touchdowns of an interception, and you said, look, I'm fine, My CAF's good, and you proved it today.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I finally felt pretty close to back to normal.
Speaker 6: Was able to extend some plays, and if the quarterback can't do that, it's hard.
Speaker 4: To move the ball.
Speaker 6: So I was happy to be able to steal some first downs, extend some players get some big plays today.
Speaker 3: So when did you know? I mean, obviously you had a good feeling going into the football game, but at one point, at what point in the football game did you know? You know what I can do just about ever anything? That three sixty looked pretty pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first first touchdown.
Speaker 6: I was able to extend it a little bit and it felt great, so I was I was good to go after that.
Speaker 3: So when you guys, you and Jamar Jamar club record fifteen catches, one hundred and ninety seven yards, three touchdowns. When you and Jamar are seeing things the way you're seeing things, can you guys be stopped?
Speaker 6: Well, we were able to execute really well today. I was excited about that. We all see. We still left some points out there, left some yards out there, so we got to get that corrected. But we're gonna continue to get better.
Speaker 3: How valuable is it to have a guy like Jamar that can line up anywhere and do anything in your offense and then other receivers doing the same thing. I remember back in the day, we had like one or two guys that could do that. Now all your receivers do that. How big a deal is that for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're as deep as we've ever been.
Speaker 6: We've you know, and Tea was out today and Andre and Trenton stepped up big for us.
Speaker 4: That's that's what you need out of those kind of guys. So it was exciting to see that.
Speaker 3: So you said early on in the week. It's a must win, and you played like it was a must win. I mean, you pack, you backed it up. I don't think there's anybody more competitive than you. How big is this win? Big win?
Speaker 4: But we want to know this week.
Speaker 6: We're going to celebrate tonight, come back tomorrow, gotta be want to know next week too.
Speaker 3: And then you're in the by three and three at the by. If you can get that W that's huge, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're focused on winning this week. So we just got to have a great week of practice, continue.
Speaker 3: To get better. Do you guys scoreboard watch? Did you know that the Pittsburgh Steelers had knocked off the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 4: No? I did not, so that's obviously a plus. We just got to keep doing what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you, Joe.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Thanks.
Speaker 2: With three offensive touchdowns, the Bengals equaled their total from the first four games of the season, and they also got their first defensive touchdown of the year on that critical eleven yard pick six by Cam Taylor Britt with one twenty three left in the first half. It gave the Bengals a lead they never relinquished, and I caught up with a second year pro out of Nebraska. Damn, congratulations your first.
Speaker 1: NFL hit six. It could not have come at a bigger time. Described that moment and that's the man.
Speaker 7: Honestly, it was just you know, something that we always worked on that practice. I got a bigger practice this weekend. It was somewhat at the same play, man, And you know, everything comes around full circle, and it did.
Speaker 8: Uh, we were.
Speaker 7: Talking about it right before the playing at random Slidton. I just jumped a routing you know, got the ball. He use my boss get.
Speaker 1: It was such a big swing in momentum because the Bengals had just been stopped on fourth and goal inside the line that looked like the Cardinals might be able to take a league to halftime. And and that was a momentum swing that really helps the Bengals win the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, most definitely, man.
Speaker 7: But you know we love to stand up against those those times, man, especially as the defense, you know, holding the offense. When something goes wrong, we try to get the ball back and you know as fast as possible. You know, who would have wanted the ball to.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrows in two picks for the defense a fourth down stop, multiple sacks for Trey Hendricks, and the defense made a lot of big plays today.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir man, that's a that's you know, bigals defense football. That's that's what you guys love, man, That's what you know the fans know.
Speaker 8: That's us.
Speaker 1: You know is playing four games in before. You know, you guys did to see that.
Speaker 7: We love turnovers, man, and we we feed off of it.
Speaker 4: You see, the teams be his offense.
Speaker 7: So you know what, we're on ourp's and q's and all team man, everybody is.
Speaker 1: Joe described it earlier this week as a must win situation. You guys are going home with a win. What's it mean in this locker room?
Speaker 7: It means a lot, man, honestly. And also we got all we don't have to take this long ass trip back, but it is so you know, it's a blessing, man, it is a blessing. But you know we had to get this dub. It was it was needed, and uh yeah, that's that's about it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're aware of it, but fifteen catches for Jamar's ther new franchise record. He nearly had two hundred yards. How about the borrow to Chase show.
Speaker 1: It looked vintage today, man, most definitely.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 7: You can see that lsuit's connection. First year guys back, you know, back together. H You can see it, man, and he's very excited.
Speaker 1: So I looked it up. You had a pick six in Nebraska. It's now even one in the NFL. Fun in college.
Speaker 3: Oh don't worry.
Speaker 7: I don't we guys get a couple bore in the NFL.
Speaker 1: I was hoping you would say that. Oh yeah, congratulations on the wind.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. It was a record setting day for Jamar Chase, who broke Carl pickens twenty five year old team record for most catches in a single game. Pickens had thirteen against the Steelers in nineteen ninety eight. Jamar finished with fifteen grabs for one hundred and ninety two yards against the Cardinals. Apparently he wasn't lying when he said he is always bleeping open. Lap spent a couple of minutes with him after the game.
Speaker 3: Team record fifteen catches, one hundred and ninety two yards, three touchdowns. Talk about it. What was working for you today?
Speaker 5: Everything offense is feeling the electric today. You know, Zach calling great plays, old line, give me Joe good enough time to throw the ball today, and Joe just reading the coverages and getting the tour with He's.
Speaker 3: So Joe looked like he was moving like Joe. I mean, he looked like he was in out of pocket, in pocket, climbing the pocket, doing everything. I mean, did you know Joe better than anybody was Jojoe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he looked good today.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 4: He ran the ball twice.
Speaker 5: On the second time he ran, I looked at him crazy, like what the hell are you doing? You know, But if he's feeling good, he can take off like that. You know, I'm glad to see that.
Speaker 3: So what about a guy like Trenton Irwin. Higgins can't go, he's got a little bit of a rip problem. Trenton Irwin steps up, makes a bunch of plays for you as a receiver, punt returner. I mean he's a pros pro, isn't he?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tia' is a great, great guy for us.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: He works out every day, is always in his playbook, and you know he's one of those guys that we can move anywhere anywhere on the field and move all the way around, you know. And that's the good thing about Tiah. He's always working.
Speaker 3: And then we like that you said you're always hoping, and that's no, that's all that is is truth. You're always hoping.
Speaker 4: Man, Hey man, it's only guy.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: God gifts, God gives.
Speaker 3: What'd you say to your dad when you gave him the football?
Speaker 5: Uh No, he just asked me for the first touchdown ball, and you know I told him if I get it again, I'm a bringing to me immediate a second time. So you know, it's just me and my dad having a little fun time interacting at the game.
Speaker 3: So this is I think maybe the third time you've had three touchdown catches in the game. How how big is that when you score three times in one football game.
Speaker 1: I'm just defense is just not playing my way. You know.
Speaker 5: They they let me say they are playing my way as I's just say, uh, they're giving me the looks that I want. You know, we see the looks that the corners are too far off, safety is not getting across the field, so you know, we just take advantage of the opportunities.
Speaker 3: Finally, how many different places did you line up today? I mean, you're you're you're an intelligent football player and you can line up anywhere do anything. How many different ways were you used today?
Speaker 5: I was pretty much all over the fair number two and number three backveil.
Speaker 1: One thing I didn't do today with.
Speaker 5: Ketch a handoff out the backfield, So I mean this is gonna come.
Speaker 3: Congratulations man, unbelievable performance. You're a stud, brother.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Other studs included Jermaine Pratt with a team high ten tackles, an interception, and that key fourth down stop in the third quarter. Trey Hendrickson had two and a half sacks in a forced fumble, and how about Trenton Irwin. Eight catches for sixty yards, four punt returns for sixty eight more and some great blocking on the perimeter on screen passes to Chase and Tyler Boyd. Burrow and Chase are going to get the headlines, but Zach Taylor stressed that it was a total team win.
Speaker 9: We got really good players and they're gonna get all the attention because they're a great job and they make the plays that come to them, but the guys around them also support them as well as any group could, you know. And the times that they tried to take away Jamar, those other guys are stepping up. And offensive line did a tremendous job working different protections keeping.
Speaker 1: The pressure off of him today.
Speaker 9: And so really proud of of the offense, really probably this whole team coming out with a victory.
Speaker 3: Trent Irwin, do you speak of a guy he's ten ten targets, eight catches, sixty yards, a couple of punter three punt returns that he had. We're outstanding, you know, dictating field position. He blocked on those receiver screens, you know, so effectively. He's a pros pro, isn't he? Yeah?
Speaker 9: You can trust him to do any job, and he knows all the positions on offense. You trust him to plug him in there and make the players that come to him. He does a great job with his technique. He gets every ounce of potential he's got in that body. And we're lucky to have him.
Speaker 3: So you get a quarterback Dobbs who who didn't head and thrown an interception all season long, and it doesn't work out on fourth down at the goal line and you get a pick six his first interception he throws all year, Cam Taylor Britt takes him back to the house. How big was that?
Speaker 9: That was a big momentum swing right there. You know, they got to stop hoping for good field position coming back. Cam's got great hands. They came in handy right there. So that was a big play that we needed right before the half.
Speaker 3: Did you know at any point during the course of the football game that Pittsburgh had beaten Baltimore? Did you know what that what that outcome?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 9: I didn't know that one? That doesn't matter to us right now. You know again, we just were so early in the season. Just take care of what we can take care of, and just our history in this league tells us if you take care of what you take care of at the end of the day, the things that you want, we'll be right there in front of you.
Speaker 3: Jermaine Pratt had the interception. He had like ten total tackles. A couple of tackles for loss. I mean he was extraordinary today as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Jermaine stepped up in a big way. Such a smart player. Really proud of him, Really proud of all those guys that stepped up on defense. Put a lot of pressure on their quarterback, created the turnovers, had sacks, had some big third down and fourth down stops, and so again they played great, great defensive football today for us.
Speaker 3: So when you went on that first drive and executed, you know, and got the third down touchdown on the first third down of the game, get a red zone touchdown out of it, did you think this looks like things might be pretty good today. Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean that's how it was last week.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: I think our first start down was the same situation, and so it's just good to continue to improve. There I show and that was a good start. Defense got a three and out, offense went down and scored seven, and that's the start we were looking for today.
Speaker 3: So coach on to Seattle. Seattle comes to Cincinnati. What's your first thought when Seattle comes to mind?
Speaker 8: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I haven't started there in four years.
Speaker 9: Shane Waldron is one of my best friends in this profession. The offensive coordinator. But I don't know anything about their defense right now, so we'll find that out tonight tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Well, I certainly you certainly did study and get a lot of knowledge on what kind of defensive presence the Arizona Cardinals had, because you guys, you guys picked them apart pretty well. It was. It was fun to watch coach congratulates on a big win. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Seeattle had to buy this weekend. We'll come to town next Sunday with a three and one record after dropping their opener at home to the Rams, the Seahawks have won three straight over the Lions, Panthers, and Giants, and in that New York game, the Seahawks set a team record with eleven sacks.
Speaker 1: Yikes. Now time for the radio guys recap lat Joe Burrow called it a must win in the middle of the week. When Joe has his heart set on something, he usually makes sure that it happens. And he looked like Joe Burrow again.
Speaker 8: Today he did.
Speaker 3: I mean, he had the look in the in the hotel this morning. I saw him at pregame meal and he had that like I'm not going to be denied to look kind of you know that Joe has when he's like lasered in and there was no distracting him. He wasn't talking to anybody, he wasn't socialize. He was like bo laser focused. And he ended up going out there and stepping up and playing really good football and that that calf, you know.
Speaker 8: He said he.
Speaker 3: Pressed it a couple of times early on, felt good, and he just kept making as many plays as he could. He wasn't about to be denied.
Speaker 1: It's funny you talked about that with a pregame meal because we were down for breakfast together early in the morning. Joe was down there earlier than usual. ESPN is running an endless loop of Burrows bad plays this year, you know, graphics about how he struggled statistically. It's got to be strange when you know you're sitting in a room with your friends and teammates and every TV screen in the room is showing how badly you've struggled. It is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't imagine what it's like to me to live in the life that Joe Burrow lives. As we got on the first buses to come over to the stadium, there's like two families of like eight kids that were all within three years of each other. I think that all were tow heads, all had on Joe Burrow jerseys. The parents were there. I mean, is I'm not saying that he's you know, not not Kelsey and his girlfriend yet Taylor Swift. But I mean, I don't. I don't know how you live with that kind of fame. It's got to be a it's got to be a very challenging life for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, he was terrific in the game, three hundred and seventeen passing yards, three touchdowns, an interception when his wide receiver slipped, a passer rating of one eight. If he can move like he moved today, the Bengals offense is going to be.
Speaker 8: Fine, no question.
Speaker 3: I mean, I said, at what point in the game, did you feel like, you know, after you did what you did physically that that you know it was? He's I said, was it that three sixty? He goes, yeah, that was I felt pretty good after that. And there there a few times he said, when I climbed the pocket and had to side step for two people, and I didn't feel any effects from that. So I mean I think he was, uh, he was top shelf. I mean, that's that's what they had.
Speaker 8: In this league.
Speaker 3: You have to have that. I mean, that's that's the only way to survive in this league.
Speaker 1: As Jamar Chase put it last week, he's always bleeping open franchise record fifteen catches for a single game.
Speaker 2: The record had lasted twenty five years by Carl Pickens. At thirteen catches just under two hundred yards. It would have been his third two hundred yard game and three touchdowns to tie a single game record there.
Speaker 3: And I said, how many different places did you line up and how many different places were you utilized today? He started rattling on like about a litany list of.
Speaker 8: How he was used.
Speaker 3: He goes, the only thing, you know, I didn't get a handoff at the running back position. We're going to work on that kind of put that in the repert to Rberant. I mean, the thing is that he's in a situation where it's not just it's all the receivers, all of them. I mean, they can all line up multiple places and do multiple things, and they're always ready to play. I mean they're so well coached and Trent Irwin pros pro stepped up to do and showed you know what he's all about. He was ready to roll.
Speaker 1: So the play of the day late in the first half, after Bengals get stopped on fourth and goal from the one, they turn right around and get a pick six from Cam Taylor Britt that gives them the halftime lead and completely swung the momentum in this game.
Speaker 3: No doubt. I mean Zach. I was talking to Zach about that in the post game and he said, that was, you know, a huge momentum scenario there. He said, you know, we were thinking we were going to get a good field position, you know, stuffing back there and said when when when that happened? That was you know, you get a freebe like that, You get a non offensive, nonscript score like that after being stopped on fourth in the goal line situation. Man, you go from the lowest loads to the highest to high and it's it's it's emotional recharge.
Speaker 2: We often talk about complimentary football. This game a bit amized it. Good hunt returns by Trenton Irwin. Money Mack makes all of his field goals, defense comes up with a couple of takeaways in several sacks, and obviously Burrow and Chase I respectacing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no doubt. I mean, it's the scenario we're just talking about. The offense stumbles and gets no points in the low red zone, and then the defense comes right back and scores on you know, literally the next play. I mean that that's compromary football at its highest compliments, honestly, And when stuff like that happened, you think this might be our day. We may be in a situation where here if we can avoid mistakes. And I was talking to Zach about how neither team offense or defense was penalized well into the third quarter. I mean three penalties called, all of them on special teams, and it was the only turnover at that point was the was to pick six. It was a very well played, you know, football game with a lot of football intelligence. He said, that's what they're about, he said, that's the identity they want to have, so hopefully they build on it.
Speaker 2: It wasn't perfect. They're still struggling to pick up some picks, twist and stunts on the offensive line, and I still don't think they run it as well as they would like to. But when you can go on the road and win by fourteen, doesn't happen that often.
Speaker 8: In the NFL team it doesn't.
Speaker 3: And this opponent, you know, the record sometimes doesn't really indicate, you know, the brand of football. And they were playing and I think they've already played some pretty turn your football teams and been in the game with him, beat their wins against the Dallas Cowboys. I mean, that's a quality football team. And like we always say, the National Football League is definitely seventeen one week seasons. There's no two ways about it. And you have to you'd take a win from Clark, mentalize, move on, accept the defeat from Clark, mentalized, move on, and see what happens.
Speaker 1: So the next one week's season is a home game against Seattle. If they can win it, get to five hundred going into the buy, you talk about how much better the team would feel about itself, the city would feel about the team. I mean, the entire mood changes if they can win one more game.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I was stunned how many guys didn't know the Pittsburgh beat Baltimore. When I said it to Trent Hervey goes, this is the first I'm hearing it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: There were multiple guys in that situation, and Zach was like, I didn't I didn't really even check into it through the game starters, and it has no impact on what I have to do in this football game. So, I mean, they are definitely focused on their tasks. There's no question about that. They're right back in the thick of it now, Dan, I mean, shoot, if they can get it done against Seattle going to the buy three and three, there's gonna be no worse in the game out.
Speaker 1: Isn't it nice when you're the bearer of good news?
Speaker 8: It really is?
Speaker 3: It really is, because they were like, really, the looks on the faces were priceless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it should be easy to get radio show guests this week. We like that too.
Speaker 3: That's a fact. I'm telling you. Victory Monday. Who Victory Monday is so much more fun down there at pay Corps when you have three hours of radio to fill.
Speaker 2: We don't know our player guests yet, but on Wednesday night from six to eight, will be at game on Sports Bar and White Oak for the Bengals Game Plan Show. And on Friday afternoon from three to six, we'll be at the Wings and Rings location in Greendale, Indiana for the Bengals pep Rally Show. Now, time for this week's fun Fact segment, where you get to know the person under the pads. Time for some fun facts with Orlando Brown Junior, the son of a great NFL offensive lineman that everybody called Zeu, says in the King of the Gods, Orlando, one of the best TV feature stories I have ever seen was the NFL film story about you and your dad. In it, Bill Belichick talked about his love for your father, and there was great footage of your dad just destroying people in the NFL. His playing career ended when you were nine. What if anything do you remember about it.
Speaker 10: I remember a lot, man, you know, I would say around seven years old is when I kind of maybe even a little bit before that, maybe like right around six years old. I like, I feel like that's when I really start being able to see the game, understand it, really pay attention to him, the intricacies of situations, short yard, it's two minutes, the flow of a game, starting to understand concepts a little bit, you know, run this specifically to the run game.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 10: And I mean it was so much to learn from him, Just as you said, man, he played so long. He also played with the great Jonathan Ogden. Uh So, Man, it was just it was so much knowledge and so much just great fundamentals for me to see at such a young age. I times that, man, Honestly, I still you know, look back at those moments man and reminisce, you know, thinking about, you know, how great they were, but also how hard they worked. You know, man, they were they were. My dad was someone that really really loved the game. And you know, he was a defensive tackle in college and then his last year of college they moved him to offensive tackle and he was in a speed option wing T system, so he didn't really have a lot of familiarity with the pro style offense and man, so he really really really worked hard to get those fundamentals down, and you know, I was able to basically be at the forefront and see all of it first hand.
Speaker 2: There was a terrible accident in his playing career. We're an official through his flag and it hit your dad in the eye, And for people that don't know, there are weights inside a flag so that they don't just flutter away. It cost him three years of his career. He was temporarily blind in one of his eyes. How did that affect him? And your entire family.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it definitely had a huge effect on us.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: You know, my parents surely divorced after the incident. You know, we pretty much He was you know, doing a lot of rehab, having to go through the lawsuit of New York City, trying to work out and get back in the NFL, bouncing back and forth between Baltimore and Miami. He was working at I think it was IMG Academy at the time, and you know, he was trying to make sure he stayed in play, in shape while also going through this lawsuit. Man, with the NFL. It took somewhat of a big toll on my family, you know. But ultimately, man, you know, he was able to come back and finished career how he wanted to.
Speaker 1: When you were young, he didn't want you to play football.
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 10: Well, you know, he has such a path. You know, he was born in Washington, d C. Man born and raised in Washington, D C. In the seventies and eighties, and you know, we all know, man, that was you know, a very hard time for a lot of you know, young black men during that time in that city. And you know, he didn't he felt like he had very few opportunities, and so you know, it was a lot for him to understand. My my grandmother was a janitor pretty much most of her life. My grandfather drove taxis, so you know, it was he had a lot of unfamiliarity with the path that he took, and so his path was so hard and so difficult.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 10: I feel like for a long time, you know, he kind of held onto that and really didn't want me or my siblings to kind of go through that type of mental pain or mental endurance or whatever it was.
Speaker 8: Man. But you know, for for everything that.
Speaker 10: He did keeping me out of ball as long as he did, I mean, I think it was the best thing that ever happened to me.
Speaker 1: We're visiting with Orlando Brown Junior. I have a son, and watching him succeed in sports, it's one of the great joys of parenthood. But when he struggled, that can be very hard as a parent. And when your dad first watched you play, it was hard for him when you didn't dominate.
Speaker 8: Correct, Yeah, it was very hard for him.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 10: There was numerous times, especially in my first few games, Man, he's leaving me, you know, he's dropping me off of the game and I'm expecting to ride home with him, and he's gone, and you know, ultimately, man, he just he wanted wanted to see me play physical. He wanted to see me play hard. You know, I was I was obviously new to the sports, so I didn't really comprehend that all in all, but you know, he wanted me to see he wanted to see me finish blocks, and so man, once I started finishing blocks, man playing with that emotion, that passion, you know, he was very, very happy and proud to proud to be there and support me.
Speaker 2: Once you started playing, you were all in. I heard you say in an interview that you used to go to bookstores and just spend weekends looking at NFL strategy books, looking at NFL rules. I mean, you were trying to learn the game, unlike most of your young peers.
Speaker 8: I'm guessing because he wouldn't let me play.
Speaker 10: Fortunately, he let me watch it and read it, so you know, that was you could say, my vice at a young age, I would go to Barnes and Nobles with my brothers and my uncle Man and Saturdays Fridays after school we'd be there watching or you know, sometimes watching the NFL network. Other times, Man, I'd be reading books on you know, some of the great players to play the game, like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, their stories, Jerry Rice's story, you know, even dating back to some of the older guys. Man like a friend Tarkenton, Uh, you know his story, man, guys like a guy, so many, so many, like so many great players in this league. But I had to spend a lot of time studying and understanding the game, and studying the offensive line position, studying everything to take everything it takes mentally physically to be a pro. And at an early age. Man, I mean, I think that was something that had a really it still does have a really big impact on who I am today as a pro.
Speaker 2: So when it came time to go to college, you picked Oklahoma. You had gone to high school in the Washington area, then in jets to Atlanta. What were your initial thoughts on Norman, Oklahoma.
Speaker 10: You know, I've got a tricky story on that. You know, I was originally on my way to Tennessee University of Tennessee. I had committed there when I was a junior in high school. And at the time, man, they didn't check my test scores and my grades my transcripts, and so Man, at the time of heading into that last semester of my senior year, Man, I had a one point seven GPA. I had a thirteen on the ACT and I Christmas treat the.
Speaker 8: Test and I lost my scholarship to University of Tennessee.
Speaker 10: And so basically what happened was, you know, we I go up there for my official visit. Bus Jones lets me know, hey, you know we're not gonna be able to give you a scholarship. Long story short, they had thirty three commits. They only had thirty one scholarships. That's one of the guys that got pulled, which is understandable based off the circumstances. And I got back to Georgia, talked to my high school coach. He asked me where I wanted to go. I had never visited Oklahoma. The coaches had never visited me. And I just looked him his eyes. I said, Coach Man, I think University of Oklahoma was where God wants me to be. And sure enough, Man, we got on the phone with Coach Stoops. We called starting at his assistant at the office, Miss Julie, and from there we got on the phone with coach Stoops and coach Hipel coach Beatabo, and they offered me a scholarship since the n l I. I signed it and took my official visit in April. After I signed, and I was a Leaden Row Lead. I enrolled July twenty fourth, twenty fourteen on campus.
Speaker 1: It certainly worked out well. The Sooners finished in the top five all three seasons that you played for them. You helped Baker Mayfield with the Heisman Trophy or final season. It appears that you and Baker were really tight.
Speaker 8: It's an interesting story.
Speaker 10: It's kind of a funny story because so we came in together my class coming in Oklahoma. It was me, Baker Mayfield, Mark Andrews, Somaj p Ryan Davante, Bond, some other names as well, some other names of guys that still got a great relationship with. But we all kind of came in together and spent a lot of time on scout team red Shirt in that year, and so we would whip up on a defense man and I got to know Baker for you know, just because of his work ethic. You know, I was a guy who worked really hard. I'd get in there at five thirty in the morning and be working all my sets with our strength coach, and he'd already be fully in strenched in sweat, throwing footballs and trash cans at five am. So, man, we just kind of grew a natural bond from there. And then obviously it's college, so took a few beers with him here and there we got closer, and then our moms met each other, and our moms got close. It's crazy, man, So you know that's my guy.
Speaker 1: Football fans a little bit north of here are still a little bit salty from Baker planting the flag in the middle of the field after a victory at Ohio State. Were you partly responsible for that because of a pregame speech.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I definitely take coole responsibility.
Speaker 10: Man, it's the first time I might have openly come out about this, But I had no idea that this is something Ohio State does, win or lost. And so Lincoln Riley at the time, our head coach, me and Baker to speak to the team, and he's during separate times. So I developed a whole power point, and the start of my PowerPoint was the Ohio State team singing on our field in twenty sixteen, and so you know, I just I remember showing that clip, you know, showing our bad plays looking up in the crowd, teammates, coaches, everyone's face is red, angry, frowned up, and you know I just mentioned. You know, look, man, when we win in the Horseshoe this year, we're gonna set it on fire.
Speaker 8: And so and so. I.
Speaker 10: You know, it's something we do every time we play University of Texas. Man, we plant the flag in the middle of a field. That's our thing. It's funny because the Horseshoe is turf, so the flag doesn't stick there.
Speaker 8: But I'll take a little bit of responsibility for that.
Speaker 2: We're chatting with Orlando Brown. Junior Sprinting and lifting weights are not your forte. So the NFL scouting combine did not go particularly well, and instead of being a first round draft pick, you wound up being a third round draft pick. How did that affect you?
Speaker 10: You know, Man, still to this day, it gives me a really big chip on my shoulder. You know, I ended up in an amazing situation though. Man, I got drafted to my hometown team, franchise that I grew up in the building, literally on the daily. Man, my entire life, it seemed like, and it was so many familiar faces. I didn't have to learn a new city. I didn't have to learn shortcuts to work when the snow or traffic, all of those little things. And you know, I wasn't It wasn't new to the city. So you know, a lot of things that other rookies had to go through. I didn't necessarily have to deal with that. But man, I mean I ended up in a tremendous situation, man with a great organization, And you know, man, I don't I definitely don't regret you know, where I got drafted, but ultimately I do wish I was a first round pick. But everything happens for a reason, you know. I think I ended up at the right spot in the right time.
Speaker 1: In your second year in the NFL, you made the Pro Bowl. You've made it every year since. Some guys don't like to talk about personal goals, but you don't shy away from that. What are some of the things that you are still determined to accomplish?
Speaker 10: Man, First and foremost, Man, I want to bring a Super Bowl to the city. That's the first thing on my mind and my heart that you know, it is really important to me. Secondly, man, obviously being the best player in the world at my position, you know, on All Pro left tackle, first team All Pro left tackle, and you know, continuing to make those Pro Bowls, and you know, man, I ultimately, you know, I want to be you know, a great, great leader in the community here in Cincinnati as well.
Speaker 2: Time for some wild card topics now with Orlando Brown junior, you carry a lucky foxtail everywhere you go. Why on God's Green Earth do you carry a lucky foxtail?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Well, man, it was just something I kind of started in college my my wrestler freshman year, and I feel like good things been happening to me since.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 10: So I remember I bought the first one and I kind of won the job, and my freshman year I was like, I'm gonna go buy a few more.
Speaker 8: So I bought a.
Speaker 10: Few more, and I don't know, man, it's just become a part of my swag and who I am. I don't know, is is this part of me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: How many do you have?
Speaker 8: I got like twelve? The YEP tweet is outen.
Speaker 2: A as you put it, You're trying to help Cincinnati win a Super Bowl, but you were part of a Super Bowl team last year with Kansas City. What are some of your fondest memories of the week and then the game itself of the week?
Speaker 8: Man, we as an old line.
Speaker 10: I remember the guys mentioned that Bert Krishner was coming to town, and you know the machine. He's hilarious, and so you know, I'm like, man, I wonder if this guy will give us backstage passes. So I d m him and like a man fan, and he got us backstage passes, and so, man, I remember we we went and watched the show at the Arizona State Basketball Stadium and he led us backstage. Man, we chopped it up with him a little bit. That was so cool. And then during the game, you know, it's it's it's one of the most exciting games of your life, you know, playing in the Super Bowl, because it's something you dream of. Unfortunately for me, I didn't lose my first one. But man, it was such a such a crazy experience. I just I remember Jerck McKinnon sliding uh in that in that situation when not much time left and coming back in the huddle looking at me like.
Speaker 8: I could have scored. It's a super Bowl it was that was that was something that always kind of stick with me.
Speaker 1: You signed a lucrative free agent deal in the off season. What do you like to splur John.
Speaker 10: Gosh, Man, it really depends, Uh, you know I do. I did grow up with my dad playing in the NFL, so you could call me boogie.
Speaker 8: I am somewhat boozy.
Speaker 10: Man Splurging'm I gonna say I'm a big splurger, but I do like nice clothes.
Speaker 1: What is something about Orlando Brown Junior that very few people know?
Speaker 10: You know, obviously you do with me on the regular, but you know a lot of people don't know, uh how personal I am.
Speaker 8: You know how personable I am?
Speaker 10: And uh, you know, man, I really enjoy you know, being able to interact with people, get to know people. There's always something to take from someone, no matter you know, how they classify themselves, where they're classified socially.
Speaker 8: Whatever it may be.
Speaker 10: I always enjoy man getting to talk to people, hearing people's stories, understanding the way that people think.
Speaker 2: Final fun fact for Orlando Brown Junior, And this one's kind of deep. If you could meet anybody in history, athlete, actor, statesman, religious figure, whoever that person might be, who would it be.
Speaker 10: I would have loved I have had an opportunity to talk to Kobe Bryant, you know, just understanding his approach, his mental toughness, his ability to focus on the now. You know, he was someone that was very present in the moment when he played his sport. And you know, it's very rare that, you know, you get guys like that. You know, I think in football, you know, Tom Brady is a guy like that. Muhammad Ali was a guy that was like that in his sport that was very you know, in the moment. And I would love to be able to talk to those guys, ask questions about you little things like that, small things like that about their mental in that moment.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you in Cincinnati. Your dad would be very proud. Appreciate your time, Appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by pay Core, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to The Bengals Booth Podcast
Speaker 4: Six