Speaker 1: Yeah, back to stepping on the beach, the only place to read your emails and tweets. It's Wednesday, July fifteenth. I'm Jays Skeets and alongside me ready to toss around the old football on the sand, tass Melice.
Speaker 2: While we're tossing it around, first, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Justice Ginsburg, get healthy, Ruth, fight it off like you always do.
Speaker 1: And well, well, well look who escaped from the yurt. It's the bearded one, Trey Kirby. Ow heyo. Nice to have you back, buddy. We got the international man of mystery taking it to the max Lee Ellis friends, but not least making the magic happen here. It's jd Hell there is, and here we are. Keep your questions coming. Email us No Dunks at the Athletic dot Com or tweet them in at No Dunksinc. Or use that hashtag no Dunks tray. It's great to see it. Looks like you got a nice tam going on there. And Killer led Zeppelin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm in pod City the basement right now in Lake Holiday, Illinois. Been outside a lot for the past five or six days, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: How was the yurt experience. I know, we saw a little bit of video. You gave us the mo vernie like hotel room tour in that yurt, But how does sleeping go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty quick tour in the old yurt. It's just beds and fans in there. We walked in, it was like, you know, the middle of the day, probably two o'clock. It was like one hundred and ten degrees. It felt like, well, I was instantly regretting my decision.
Speaker 4: How are we going to sleep in here? But then night falls and it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: In the year, slept easy, you know, because my kids didn't sell Laura had to go hop in the bed with them. I had a nice giant bed all to myself, you know, hopped up on the top bunk a little bit.
Speaker 4: Trying to throw it back to the summer camp days. Was a good time.
Speaker 1: Oh nice. Yeah, that yurt was way bigger than I thought it was gonna be. I get it was like like a campground type thing. So it makes sense that you got to put a lot of kids in their counselors or whatever. But you know, I had it in my mind like just like much smaller. The thing was huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: The first year, and I ever stayed in in my previous year experience, it was meant to sleep two or three, so that was.
Speaker 4: What I was expecting as well.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, I can't imagine having twenty boys in there, you know, in the middle of summer. Well, that's a fart year it if you ask me, that's such a.
Speaker 5: Great wood yet hearing.
Speaker 1: It, yeah, it's fun to say, you know wrong. Al Right, guys, check out the Before we get into the questions, I want you to check out the new podcast feed on the Athletics. It's called The Athletic NBA Show. We had Big Wahs on yesterday's No Dunks pod. He of courses on hoops adjacent with Hall of Famer David Aldridge. That's a part of the Athletic NBA Show, and he was great. He was a fun guest. He not only give us the four to one one on all the shows within that podcast feed, but we had a bunch of fun questions for him, some serious ones, some silly ones about the bubble and he was killing it. So make sure you go check out that podcast with Big Waz posted it on Tuesday. Also on Tuesday, Lee popping packs with niek. So you can now go and watch that on our Instagram account at no dunk sync. How'd that one go? Pretty good?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Nick was pretty good. Yeah, he was just chilling out in Atlanta, sweltering like I was. And we popped the pack, got some nice cards in there. Had a nice little off the court card with Nick as well, which you might want to check out. I knew he was a member of the old NBA team and an old Star, but he was also a member of another all NBA team. Go and check it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting little teas right there, and we'll very likely post that as a podcast later in the week, maybe on the weekend, Popping Packs with Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins. And finally, here, in case you haven't figured it out about yet, we're on YouTube again, guys, JD. It is officially a streak. How many days in a row we've been on YouTube it's like four.
Speaker 6: Or five now it feels like a hundred. But yeah, we're back, baby, We're back. It's official.
Speaker 1: I guess yes, it is official. So congratulations on this is a Joe DiMaggio like streaky got going here with popping back, I mean, with getting the show up on YouTube, so it's fantastic. So go check that out and subscribe. Smash that subscribe, smash the like button even if you're not even watching us. Help us out, guys, though I know some of you diehards are listening to the podcast, and then go and watch the podcast on YouTube. Respect, respect and respect for everybody's sending it in the questions, Let's get into him.
Speaker 2: Task first one Miska Muska, No Dog's Crew. There has been some talk leading up to the restart about players being able to sit courtside to watch other teams play. I have visions of Pat Bev trash talk in the competition while wearing the same white T shirt he's worn all month. Yeah, he's got him stacked in his room if you've seen his videos, those white teeth. But I'm looking forward to some players doing things to get their NBA peers pumped. Who do you predict will be your favorite player's favorite player. I'm going with some not so obvious choices of CJ McCollum as someone who will cross up a big on a switch and get some ooze and Tim Hardaway Junior catching fire from three flip down. Hate you guys terrible. That's nice. I'm Matt from Portland. So who are other NBA players going to be excited to watch in person?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Tough question to get it started here. I love the Tim Hardaway junior suggestion, though, you guys know, I got Timmy Hardaway going for fifty in the bubble. It's still alive. Why not he could catch fire, although it's a weird one tasks, maybe just because it's in the news recently. He's got a great name. Looks like he's gonna have more of a prominent role on what should be a good team. Give me shake, Milton, give me shake, maybe impressing some of the other NBA players who maybe don't know a lot about his game, but being on again on a good team, looks like he's gonna get the starting point guard spot, Simmons moving to more of a four position there. If the Sixers play well and shake Milton balls out like he was. You know, but before the hiatus, when he was really filling in for Ben Simmons at the point corposition, you know, I could see some well, who is this guy? Oh? Those Sixers looking good. I've got a real point guard here, you know. I don't know. I just this is a tough question, but I could see it going there maybe or he would get some love on social media accounts from some of the other NBA players.
Speaker 2: It's a good one and the Sixers teammates, it feels inevitable, like when he pulls off a nice move, like they're all gonna do a little shake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this shape.
Speaker 2: It's player that players in the stands as well. You can't help it. The Sixers are an exuberant bunch. I'm sure they'll be doing the shake shake. And Joel embiid he sounds pretty pumped to be playing with a guard who can let it rip like he wants a jj reddick back like he had last season, and I think he's going to be pumped. It's weird to hear Ben Simmons say I'm gonna be setting picks for a guy and I'm gonna be playing the pick and roll or the pick and pop, pick and pop, Ben Simmons, It's strange to hear him say that. But yeah, I can't wait to see that workout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you guys got.
Speaker 5: I think we've already seen a little bit of a return of one of the greatest romances in history with Toby and Bobie back in the bubble together, and I think you know this one obviously, Bobi he plays a little bit more sort of garbage time minutes, but I think every basket he's going to get, you know, Toby's going to be on the side cheering him on. Everyone's going to be cheering on Bobe.
Speaker 1: Everyone loves him.
Speaker 5: And I actually think, you know, talk about Joel Embiid. I think Joel Ebiid will also embrace the Bobie. I think he would love to see him out there because he's just such a fun guy, Boba, and he's already having a great time dancing and living it up in the bubble, So I think he's got I don't think anyone could possibly dislike him. And I think he's going to have the Bigges cheer squad down there.
Speaker 4: It's right.
Speaker 3: Another guy who's in the news a little bit lately. I think Jamal Crawford. You know, he's a guy that NBA players who have always loved to watch. He had been out of the league this season and now he's making a return. He's just got a highlight ready game. You know, players I'm sure will be excited to see Jamal Crawford back in the NBA. And then if he, you know, crosses somebody up goes behind his back, gets an there Jamal Crawford like highlight. People will be going crazy. This is what we were talking about. This is why you needed to have Jamal Crawford back. Not to mention, he said he never practiced his dribbling in his entire life and just came out naturally. So I'm guessing a year off isn't gonna be a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a bunch of a bunch of ones because it's hard to come up with an answer for that. You're right, Jamal Crawford, great one. So I came up with a bunch of little ones to add up to think it was good enough. You know what I mean. When you don't have a good answer on beach stepping, you just get a bunch of little ones to think that it's good enough. Ben Simmons, I think he's going to be cheered on by Orlando's Michael Carter Williams because Michael Carter Williams gonna look at that guy and say, I don't want to shoot threes like him. I want to be as good as him, so he's gonna come cheer on Ben Simmons. Ben Simmons is his idol. I think Miami's Jimmy Butler is going to cheer on Indiana's TJ. Warren sarcastically because they hate each other.
Speaker 5: YEA, still does that carry it to the bubble?
Speaker 1: You think?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I would think so the way Jimmy Butler was despised that guy, and they did get their March twentieth game that they were supposed to get the rematch, right, so, oh god, yeah, Jimmy doesn't like him. Jannis will be at Lakers games to cheer on brother Costa for sure, and Coasta might play with the injuries that are happening there. And speaking of brothers, I think Robin Lopez of the Milwaukee Bucks might go up into the stands while his brother Brook is playing on the same team, because Robin's just that kind of guy and be like, I didn't know the rules. I'm just gonna go up there and cheer mud. Why not?
Speaker 1: Those are good? Back to like you were talking about maybe the Sixers pulling out the shake shake for shake, Milton, I like that I was thinking in thinking of this this answer to this question. Will we see some of the activities that the players have been doing in the bubble over the last week or so turn into celebrations, So like, will there be like a shotgunning beers celebration? Will there be a like will there be a fishing celebration? You know, like we're holding up your catch? Could be a ping pong sort of celebration, right, Like, there's some possibilities there. They get creative with some of these activities they're doing.
Speaker 2: I think you get a corn hole in there, corn hole, right, throw it up.
Speaker 1: I hope they do. I hope they do. All right, next one here? What up? No dunks? My friends and I just had a very heated discussion about Miami Heat team with Wade, Bosh and Braun. We were arguing about whether this team was a disappointment or not. There was a lot of hype surrounding this team. Heck Lebron himself predicted they would win up to eight titles, but as we know, they only won two titles and the second one was saved by a lucky Ray Allen three. So two questions. One, was this Heat squad the Wade Bosh Broun Heat a disappointment? And are there any other NBA teams that failed to live up to their hype? Thanks for all the amazing content, Keep up with great work. That's from Tyler in Connecticut to ask when do you get us started? There are two questions there, which one you want to tackle first?
Speaker 2: Are they a disappointment? When looking I say, no chance. They won two championships in four years plus two other finals appearances. That's not a disappointment. No, no, no. Lebron won two of his championships there. And I don't start going the lucky route with the lucky Rayale and three because I mean, you just if that's a slippery slope, my man, you're not gonna win a third.
Speaker 3: Man who hit the three from the Yeah, it's like one of the greatest three point shooters ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and something he practiced that doesn't matter anyway. Go earlier in the series, Tony Parker hit a luckier shot to win Game one when he sort of stumbled, kept his dribble, fell down and hit that game winner. When we all I remember us talking about that after it. We were like this could go down as an incredible game winner in NBA Finals, And now everybody forgets it. Because of the race shot. But it's a slippery slope. Man. Everybody gets quote unquote lucky. That's not even lucky. Why do I even why do I bring that word up again? The amount of time they stayed together, you can be disappointed by that. I do think that's shocking that they only stayed four times, or stay for four years, I should say, after you know, the whole Grand introduction where they won two, three, four, five, six seven. So whoever's arguing with you Tyler that it was a disappointment, come on, man, But I think go ahead.
Speaker 5: I think Tyler is actually from Boston. I think he's a Bean town boy. I think we've heard from him before, so that's why he's playing it down now. Look, I think it depends on what your expectations were. You know, four trips to the finals is two championships enough? Of course, I think it is. But I think if you were to look at that Mavericks loss in twenty eleven, I think that's the one that sort of things went wrong because they were up to one in that series and Lebron had a very very bad game. I think it was Game four and the MAVs came back in. Yeah, he had eight points in that game, So I think if you look at it in the hole, you could say, you know, they've sort of left one on the table. Certainly there to Dallas, but that one that they lost to San Antonio, the Spurs were virtually unbeatable in that finals. They were just a completely different unit. So I think I think overall, you know, champions any franchise would take two out of four if they could get there that many times. But you know, again, I think there's a case to be made there that they blew it against the Mavericks Trail.
Speaker 1: What do you think are the Heat the Heatles as we call them, a disappointment?
Speaker 4: Definitely not.
Speaker 3: You know, the two championships is great, but I think it just goes to show you how hard it is to win a lot of championships, especially in a row. You could look at the Heat and say they've got three of the best players in the league, they should win the championship every year, but that just doesn't how it happens. You know, they also strung together a twenty seven game winning streak that kind of goes unremembered as since it's a regular season thing, but that was a major moment in the league. It's similar to Kevin Grant and Steph Curry on the Warriors. You know, they get together, you assume they're gonna win every championship, but they had.
Speaker 4: Two seasons where they didn't even win sixty games.
Speaker 3: It's just hard to keep players healthy when they're playing one hundred games during a season. It's hard to keep everybody motivated. It's hard to keep everybody on the same page. And we've seen that time and time again. You know, the Lakers fell apart in their early two thousands because they eventually had be the same. You know, Lebron eventually wanted to go back to Cleveland, Katie, Steph and the Warriors eventually split up.
Speaker 4: It's just hard to spring together a whole bunch of titles together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been talking about this, or not talking about it, maybe ourselves, but I've been listening to a lot of podcasts talk about this team over the last couple of weeks. Maybe you guys have as well, because it was the ten year anniversary of Lebron's decision going down there, and there was a lot of retrospective columns and podcasts again talking about it. Chris bosh I know, talking about he's even started his own sort of thing, substack thing, the last Chip, I believe it's called. I think the only reason they get into trouble here as a disappointment is because of the not the decision from Lebron, which obviously just got ridiculed like crazy at the time and even to this day going on TV and saying in peace out Cleveland. But it is that celebration rally where they say they're gonna win six seven A titles. So you say that and then you come up obviously drastically short of that, Well maybe that is a disappointment. Like you were saying, tasks, they only even stick the game for four years, for crying out out, they don't have even a chance to even get to six seven or eight. So if you just remove that completely, if that never happened, then hands down, they're like, obviously, you know, one of the better teams of all time, maybe even with the talent they had, going back to back super difficult to do and going to four straight finals, you know, maybe just as difficult to do, but they do that, so you gotta knock them a little bit. That's that's I think where this argument probably between Tyler and his friends is coming up. They said this, and they didn't even come close to it, okay, but still obviously a great team.
Speaker 2: They brought it upon themselves, no doubt, no doubt with that open. I think in twenty years, when we look back at that that grand opening, when they came together that rally, I think everyone's gonna gonna say, you know what, Lebron said, they were gonna win twenty five championship. It's just gonna get bigger then, and bigger and bigger and bigger. Because it was not five, not six, not seven already it's up to eight. So it's not gonna stop. Lebron said he's gonna win one every year.
Speaker 1: What did what did he actually stop at seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think it was seven.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, you're right, it's already going up.
Speaker 2: It's ticking up, you're right, okay, yeah. But it's crazy to think, like two of his three championships we're in there those four years and it's a disappointment, like most of his championships were in that running. He's almost the best player of all time, but it's a disappointment. It's kind of weird. All right, next week, hey nd with the NBA about to restart in the Disney bubble and with your recent Disney Squad episode, I was wondering who you think had a great Wookie season. Let me explain. A Wookie season is a season where a rookie is just an absolute beast. In my mind, he's maybe not that offensively gifted, but defensively he's likely underrated thanks Force Choke, dark Side Evaders eyes. That's from Kyle Lee. Why don't you get it started?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, hold on before Lee answers JD, what is he talking about here? Why is a Wookie maybe not offensively gifted, but it's great defensively.
Speaker 6: They're tall, They're really really tall, I guess, and they can just hang out at the hoop and black people I guess. Okay, I mean I think a Wookie would make a great shooter, but I disagree wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: So Lee, with that said, who's who do you got on your old Wookie team? Well, I'm going with.
Speaker 5: A guy who I think had his best season for his career as a rookie. It's a Mecha Oka four back in two thousand and four, two thousand and five. I mean, he won Rookie of the year when Dwight was the first pick in the draft and it was considered maybe a Mecha's going to turn out better than Dwight Howard. It didn't work out that way. But he had like fifteen and ten or fifteen and eleven, i should say, with two blocks a game and was just a beast, and I thought, man, this guy is really good. You knew he didn't have a very finished or polished offensive game, but you just thought athletically he was so big and strong he would just be catching oops for the rest of his career and then blocking shots on the other end. And it's funny when you look at his stats, they pretty much came down. He had his rebound sort of stayed consistent there for a few years, but his points just every single season. And of course, you know he did come back a couple of times, or he made a couple of attempts to get back, but really kind of a disappointing career when you consider that first season and just how impactfully.
Speaker 1: Was anybody else.
Speaker 3: Wookie Matisse Fibel is having one of those seasons right now. You know, he came into the league and he's instantly one of the best guys on the ball and off the ball, those crazy long arms. You have him out there with Ben Simmons and it looks like kind of two of the same guy who are able to do the same sort of things defensively, flying all over the court, protecting the rim, getting in passing lanes.
Speaker 4: He's been impressive.
Speaker 3: Another seventy six er way back when Neurlins Noel was the only player in the league to finish top ten in blocks and steels, and he did it as a rookie. But unfortunately now we just know him for inventing the pocket dog basically.
Speaker 2: Tasting when to add and Neurlans Zoel once had a hoop in his living room, like he put it up against the wall that was not ten feet for some weird reason. It's like a full hoop. It was like nine to six. He should be famous for that. Matist Stipele is a great one because he's he's fresh off the brain, because he's doing great work down in the bubble. See his videos. That guy is editing his own videos down There're awesome. Yeah, and he's he's turning out to be a better shooter than people expect. So I don't know if he's straight Wookie category. But I think I think like a guy like like struggles offensively but is doing good defensively, as Jared Culver of the Wolves going deep here and Jackson Hayes probably of the uh the Pelicans, the big guy, and maybe that's Wookie type hair. I mean he lets it fly bigtime. I don't know. I don't know what a Wookie hair is. I'm just making things up now.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean I get I get Wookie rhymes with rookie, hence the question yeah to me, JD again, correct me if I'm wrong. You're the expert here with Star Wars. But like I think wookie, You're right, I think of probably a tall guy, a big guy. But I also think of like a sidekick, a co pilot, right. I think it's someone that's lovable, it's got a big heart.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, the most famous Wookie we know, Chewbacca, is definitely a sidekick. But there are thousands millions of Wookies out there. There's got to be some later leaders in the bunch, right, I mean, right, right, right, I'm talking specifically about Chewbacca.
Speaker 1: Do we know other Wookies in the Star Wars canon?
Speaker 6: I mean, uh, you know I don't personally, Well, so you don't. Well, you know, I'm I'm our resident nerd, but I'm not that much of a nerd. Let's be honest. I mean, I got blasted last time I talked Star Wars because I referred to Luke as the chosen One. Well, he's not the chosen one. Apparently Darth Vader or Anakin Skywalker is the chosen one. So I'm gonna get lots of people pointing out famous wookies who are leaders.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: So yeah, don't worry, You're not gonna get it. I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to bring that upon JD.
Speaker 3: I feel like Chewbacca was even he was like Wicked with the.
Speaker 4: Crossbow, wasn't he?
Speaker 6: Absolutely That's what I mean, A good shooter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, to explain this one, Why does JaVale McGhee have one of his nicknames listed as Big Daddy Wookie?
Speaker 1: Oh didn't know that one.
Speaker 6: I didn't know that either.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think many people do. But Basketball Reference has you know, he's got the standard Pierre ye something else in there? The big secret what Big Daddy Wookie and the Great Adventure just came out of nowhere, big Daddy Wookie.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I'm sure a listener right now screaming at their podcast while they're walking their dog.
Speaker 6: What about episode five of Clone Wars season six, Man's.
Speaker 5: Turning on the Wars fans?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I saw, I did see him getting that blowback for his for his initial Star Wars comment there about whatever Anakin?
Speaker 6: Who'd you say, wasn't Anakin's a chosen one? But you know not? To me, Luke Skywalker, he's the chosen He brought balance to the forest.
Speaker 1: Come on, you know what, You're the chosen one. Thank you to me and us here on this podcast. All right, next one here, Hey, dunk boys, I'm the biggest Survivor fan I know. Listen to this. I've watched every season multiple times. Wow, but I always kept this is amazing. I always kept Survivor Pearl Islands unwatched because the idea of having no new Survivor in the back pocket for a rainy day felt like such a bummer. This guy watched every single season a Survivor multiple times, but somehow decided, you know what, I'm not gonna watch them all because I need to have one just in case, you know, break in case of emergency, well covid to continue. The email is the Ultimate Rainy Day and I finally watched it, and to my surprise, Johnny Fairplay is not the bumbling idiot joke of a player that Survivor history seems to paint him as he's strategically and against all odds, socially adept, and he came within Weird o' lil's last vote from making the finals and potentially winning. Anyway, this made me think about NBA comparisons that fit this Fairplay situation. What present day player do you think will be historically misremembered for whatever reason? Learn lots, rub your thighs sausage. That's from Jack Coffee. Now again, Lee, before we go to you for your answer to the actual NBA question, maybe we'll go to JD or whatever one of you Johnny Fairplay just for the person listening to this has no idea what the hell Jack Coffee is talking about? Who wants to explain very quickly who Johnny Fairplay is in the Survivor canon of things.
Speaker 6: He's the biggest heel in Survivor of history. Probably he famous for what Probes calls the biggest lie in the history of Survivor. I think where he had during the loved Ones visit, he had his friend come on and lie that his grandmother had passed away while Johnny was playing the game, so fake tears were had. The entire tribe was was devastated for him, and then you cut cut immediately to his confessions like my grandmother is watching Jerry Springer and somewhere right right now. So he lied about his grandmother dying to get a sympathy card, which is a despicable move. But as as is pointed out, he made it to almost the end because of that. So you know he's he's a professional wrestler now.
Speaker 1: I read, Yeah, And that was a thing. Like his bit was very like he was like a like a manager, like a heel wrestling manager. Really like he leaned into that right from the get go, and he was pretty damn good television.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 1: As much as you hated him as a villain, he was he was something else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then he leaned into it even more.
Speaker 3: I feel like after that Survivor season was over, like JDS saying, he's a professional wrestler now, and like every appearance he had he was trying to be more and more despicable, and he had even been on his Survivor season, so that's probably why people misremember him a little bit. And I might be misremembering things, but when I think back to that moment where his his buddy comes out and they're talking about it, what a ridiculous lie that this even worked, because he comes out and Johnny Paarripleay's like, how's grandma, and his buddy just goes, She's dead, dude. Yeah, that's how you're breaking it to a family member.
Speaker 1: She's dead, dude. He had practiced that line for a week, So, Okay, she's dead, dude. No, she's dead, dude. Drying it in the mirror, Yeah she's dead. Yeah. So yeah, that's that's Johnny fair play. That's amazing. By the way, Survivor Pearl Allen's one of the best Survivor seasons. I mean, that's where we get Rupert, right, SANDRAU. So there's there's some legends in that season, which was early on. But anyway, Lee present day player you think will be historically misremembered for whatever reason you got.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's it has to be a polarizing play as someone who really does stoke the emotions of everybody whenever they talk about him. And that's why I'm going with James Harden. Because James Harden's a great player. He's a Hall of Famer, He's an absolute lock for that. But I think with the playoff, without having a championship or even being to the finals, I think people are going to sort of point at things and say, well, look, he was great in the regular season, but he could never deliver in the playoffs, you know, like he was a three time runner up MVP, a one time MVP, but in the playoffs things always went wrong for him. He couldn't play with superstars, he had an ugly way of drawing contact and shooting too many free throws. And I think that's going to detract away from the fact what he has achieved over these last seven eight years here in Houston. He's been an incredibly consistent, reliable player for the Rockets, always had them in the playoffs, but he hasn't been able to sort of find that ultimate success. And I think this is what we talk about a lot of times with the player that they need that championship almost to sort of like just kill off all that took because it happened with drk Novitski, I think a lot as well. You know, got that championship and he got that sort of now you can't ever say Dirk, you know, choke in the playoffs when he was on when they lost to the We Believe Warriors, like all that stuff kind of gets forgotten because he eventually got there. And I think if James Harden doesn't eventually get there, that's sort of going to I think how he's going to be remembered. It's going to be a mix of like great player, but only in the regular season, an ugly way of scoring. You know, people just didn't People either loved him or hated him. There's not that sort of in between.
Speaker 1: I think with him, well, this is the perfect answer because you just proved your own point. You misremember James Harden's career already. He made the finals. He was in the finals.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, yeah, but so there you go. Yeah, yeah, I mean, obviously, okay, that's true.
Speaker 2: He was there.
Speaker 5: He didn't have a good finals.
Speaker 1: But I think what I'm talking about when he's with the Thunder.
Speaker 5: And yeah exactly, yeah, yeah, you sort of I'm talking pretty much his Rocket's career is what he's going to be remembered for. People are going to try to forget the thunder stuff there, But you know, I mean, and I am someone who finds him frustrating to watch, but I always try to respectfully show that he is incredible. How we can go out there and get forty or fifty points pretty much whenever he wants. It's just the way that he goes about it is not always I catching okay tass, anyone coming to mind?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm gonna jump around. I think tim ifay Mosgov will be remembered as the guy dunked on by Blake, but also forgetting a monster contract during the Capspike twenty sixteen, one of those Yeah, there's a lot of those guys. Yeah on Mahimi, But but I think he'll be remembering that. Miami's Kelly Olinok will be remembered for yank and Kevin Love shoulder out of his socket in the twenty fifteen playoffs when Lebron couldn't win a championship because of timifay Mosgov, Yank initial and Kyrie Gotterer. But I killed, Actually, timofay Mosgov should thank Kelly Olinok for yanking Kevin loved shoulder because then timofay mosgov went on to star in the finals. He was their second best player in those finals. He was putting like, what do you average like twenty something in those in those finals in twenty fifteen, and then he got paid the year later.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the agent twenty.
Speaker 5: I don't think he averaged twenty, but I think he hit twenty maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe has some big games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just letting him a roll and a quick one. I think Enniscancer will be remembered for a guy as a guy who talked a lot. That's it. But I like Ednis cancer. He's fighting the good fight, but he hasn't stopped talkings for entire career.
Speaker 1: Trey, who you got?
Speaker 3: It's funny you mentioned Tim and fay Mosgoff because mine is Blake Griffin. He was like the best thing to watch in the league for his his sort of rookie year. Remember he missed his first year with the kneecap problem, and then he was instantly twenty two and twelve Duncan on guys like mosgoth it seemed like a highlight every night. I would even argue that the Kawhi Leonard Paul George era of the Clippers isn't possible with Blake Griffin going to the Clippers, right, He put him on the map. He made the team not a joke anymore. He made it a place that Chris Paul would actually accept a trade to play with the Clippers, and that turned the franchise around the not a joke for the first time in franchise history. And it's all because they won that lottery and got to draft Blake Griffin.
Speaker 1: Number one good answers I'll go with. You know, obviously present day player Rudy Gobert is going to be a fascinating guy to see how he'll be remembered. What will be the first thing people will bring up with Rudy Gobert twenty years from now? It might be COVID related, honestly, And that might be despite having obviously defensive player of the years, who knows that he wins a title, who all start selections, all MBA and all that. But that will probably be at the forefront of the first thing you're gonna remember with Rudy, And and the other part was like before that, it was like, oh yeah, it was that that guy that was upset about not making the All Star team and all that. Like he has like these unfortunate sort of like dings on his like career that people like go to immediately instead of like, oh my god, that guy was a game changer defensively, especially on good teams. But he's gonna he's just gonna have that. And we've talked about it before. That's no knock on him. If anything, he probably started he actually maybe saved lives for crying out out for all we know, actually being patient zero and I throw that in air quotes and shutting down the league and obviously people taking things a little more seriously with the virus.
Speaker 2: So Rudy Gobert is my answer, all right, next email, hey, pulling up from three instead. I was lucky enough to find someone new during this pandemic. It was a strange experience early on in the relationship with all that's been going on in the country, social distancing and the inability to go on traditional dates. That made us be creative about seeing each other, but we made it work. I'm happy and proud to say she's an amazing person and for the sake of basketball talk, she's been a hell of a teammate thus far in my life. But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that during this time, a couple of exes have reached out to me in hopes of rekindling old flames.
Speaker 1: Ooh, this guy.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's out of boredom or their new team isn't doing all that well. I love who I'm with and I'm not about that. Double life got me thinking which NBA player had a decent or memorable second run with a former team? Does sound like this guy is is thinking about Rick. I was too broke to buy tickets when you guys came to Chicago, but an email read on beach stepping would make up for that. Well, here you go, Eddie, Love you guys. Keep up the great work, Eddie and Skokey Illinois. What do you got, Gokey?
Speaker 1: Where's Skokey? T You're near Skokey right now.
Speaker 3: I'm not too near Skrokey. It's north of Chicago, home of abdul Nader. Actually, yeah, yeah, yeah, but I gotta get I gotta take my hat off to Eddie. It sounds like the man is a casanova when it comes to texting. Not only did he get a partner during the pandemic. He's had people reaching out to him saying, can we partner up again? The guy just mails me fire with emojis.
Speaker 1: Yeah's But see, that is sometimes the issue with some people out there, men and women. Right, some people are like their money when it comes to just communication through texting or you know, any sort of like dating app or whatever. Instagram comments like whatever, you know, and then and then maybe they don't have it in person, right, You gotta be able to bring it in person at some point with these people. But look, yeah, he's knocking it out of the park when it comes to doing this type of community.
Speaker 2: I assume he was facetiming big time.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe, yeah, maybe maybe how you do.
Speaker 2: Facet tamming was so hot in March and April and then it sort of died down when people are like, Okay, let's go back to normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Lee, what do you you got an answer for that?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm going to take two names off the table because they kind of stand out, And that's Lebron going back to Cleveland, obviously he returned, and Steve Nash going back to Phoenix. He had a pretty good return there, picking up a couple song.
Speaker 1: I dug a.
Speaker 5: Little deeper for this question for a guy sort of later in his career, and I think it's Jason Kidd when he returned to the Dallas Mavericks, because obviously that's the team he was drafted by, started out there, he played two or three seasons there and Dallas things didn't really work out, and then when he came back, he was certainly not the same player he was when he left, but he had changed his game. Remember he's basically just shooting threes for the Mavericks, and he was a very important part of them winning the championship. So he actually came back and was more than just a sort of token, like, you know, this is the end of your career, come back to the team where it all started. He went on, came back, was a key part of a team that won the championship, and then he moved on again. So I think he was one of the ones who had probably the most most successful return that wasn't someone like a Lebron or Nash who was still in their prime years.
Speaker 1: It's a good answer, family few good answer. Good answer was throwing on the bar. Throw it on the board. Jason Kidd, Jason Kid as well.
Speaker 4: I was surprised.
Speaker 3: I had definitely forgotten that he was an All Star again. When he came back to the Mavericks the season before they won a championship. You know, he was ten points a game, no big deal, but nine assists. That's easy stuff for Jason Kidd, just adding to the resume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about current day player then? Who could pull off a Jason Kidd? What about Dwight Howard with the Lakers. I mean, like you forget that that did not go well the first time Toys with the Lake. I mean, he just got laughed out of the franchise, basic leader of the city. Now he's back somewhat of an instrumental part, has played really well, sort of rehabilitated his image to some extent. And if they went on to win a title, bubble or not, and he was playing well and was involved, I think he'd be like similar to Kid right, obviously being a Hall of Famer, but just having much more success in his second round with the same team. That's my answer. Dwight Hour.
Speaker 2: I went the other route. He also Eddie also asked a memorable second run with the former team. I'll go with Hidok Turgulho going back to Orlando after signing that monster deal with Toronto, after going to the finals with Dwight Howard. Toronto said this is not good. Trade into Phoenix. Phoenix after half a season said this is not good. And Orlando said, well, you know, he was good for us, We'll take him back. And he was way worse and he was making way more money than he was when he took him to the finals or played along with Dwight. Was there sort of their point guard that playoffs. So that was memorable in a very very bad way. You know, he'd a peaked and then he valied pretty quick at Kevin Garnett. I it was a nice moment or nice times when he went back to Minnesota at the end of his career there for a couple of years and that super fan with the no shirt, whoever that guy was in Minnesota, Jigly boy, Yeah, Jigly that was fun.
Speaker 1: I'll u just because it'll be the second time he's been mentioned on this podcast, which is weird. Tim Hardaway Junior for a lesser known guy going back to the Knicks, I mean he got paid and usually had a pretty good year with him when he went back in terms of scoring at least, I mean, that's really what he's going to give you. But started a rookie with the Knicks. I think he made an All rookie team, was fine. Then goes to the Hawks and had a really bad year, and then had a bounce back year, and then again got signed by the Knicks. Eventually got traded and all that. But he played well when he was there for a lowly Knicks team. And you know, that's why I started to fall in love with the idea of Tim Harday Junior could go for fifty in one game, and he floirated.
Speaker 5: He floated a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Oh, there was a lot of tweets coming at me some first halfs where Tim Hardaway had, you know, twenty eight or thirty or whatever. He always would chill out as the game went on. But yeah, it's a little bounce back. Anyone else, any other answers right here?
Speaker 2: Let me drop hold on, let me drop in. Tim I fan Moscov didn't average anywhere close to twenty points in the NBA Finals in twenty fifteen, but he had a twenty eight pointer, seventeen point or sixteen point or seventeen pointer and then David Blatt decided one game, you know what, this isn't working. Let's get him out of here. Let's get him out of here. So he didn't start and he had a zero point game that killed out. But he averaged about fourteen in that finals.
Speaker 1: All right, we got lots more emails still to tackle here. But before we do, a quick word from our sponsor.
Speaker 3: Folks, Smelling good is important. I know what you're thinking, mister armpit detox thinks smelling good is important. Well, thanks to Hawthorne, the answer is yes. I'm not even joking when I tell you that Hawthorn has changed the game for me. I have tried a ton of natural deodorance, but Hawthorns is the first I've used that smells good and actually keeps me dry when.
Speaker 4: It comes to armpits.
Speaker 3: I'm a Hawthorn man, but it's not just deodorant. I made a commitment to be less of a scumbag in June and July, and it's all thanks to Hawthorn. The entire suite of grooming products smells amazing. The clones are money, the body wash is luxurious, and the conditioner actually has me taking care of my hair my curls have never been more poppin'. Getting your Hawthorn on is easy. You just take a two minute quiz and they'll recommend everything you need to step your smells up. Then they'll ship you your goods with free shipping and free returns. It's simple and risk free. So check out Hawthorn at Hawthorn dot co. That's Hawthorn with any and dot co, not dot com, Hawthorn dot co and use our promo code no dunks to get ten percent off your first purchase. That's Hawthorn dot co. Use promo code no duns to get ten percent off your first purchase Hawthorn dot Co.
Speaker 1: Hawthorn products good enough for a yurt.
Speaker 4: No, it's a banger. It's a banger.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a draper. Yeah, I mean yurt. She already got done talking about how much fun yurt is to say, if you can, if your products work in a stinky yurt, your money made all right. Next one here, boys. It was awesome to see Skeets and Trey tweeting about Formula one the other weekend. Like you guys have gotten into F one recently, and I've been completely absorbed by not only the racing, but also the politics and drama surrounding the sport. It's kind of reality TV show of twenty contestants mixed with a sport. Anyway, I've been so consumed that I lost pretty much all interest in the NBA, apart from listening to Your Guys podcast. Is there something you guys also fell out of love with despite being completely obsessed with with at some point in your life? Did you regain your interest? Thanks for the pods. That's from Issuru. I see Ru. I'm not sure how you pronounce that. It's a cool name. I you are you? I see rou Is Surou. Yeah, f one tray You're all into it, but has got some answers for this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Back to back races at the same track. Pretty crazy way to start the season. We got another one coming up in Hungary.
Speaker 4: Tune in.
Speaker 3: It's been an eventful start. That first race though, it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But for.
Speaker 3: Me, something I've been obsessed with that I fell away from that. I now really want to get back into seeing all these bubble life videos of players fishing. Every time I come back to Illinois in the summer, we go fishing anyways, but this time I'm thinking I got to bring my polls and tackle boxes back home. I know there's places in Georgia to go fishing. It was so much fun. I used to be so obsessed spending hours watching like the bass Master Classic on ESPN or a Banjo Mino info mercial. I'm reading Field and Stream magazine and The Fishermen to learn the best crank baits in the game. But then, you know, I didn't fish for like twenty years until I had kids, and I said, you guys got to learn how to pull a bass up out of this lake. So I'm getting back into fishing. It's a great leisure activity. I mean, there's a lot of space in a yurt to keep your tackle, so if you're out a yurt, you better have a fishing pole.
Speaker 1: I said something similar to though big was yesterday. I said, between watching all of these videos of these guys in the bubble fishing and then watching seasons of the reality show Alone where these people need to fish to survive, I have not consumed this much fishing content since we found out about Bill Dance and a Bloopers, I haven't. I just can't believe how much fishing content I'm into too. I'm sort of intrigued by it all. So that's a good one. Lee, Are you a fisherman, you like a cast in your reel.
Speaker 5: We did a little bit of fishing at An, Alabama a few weeks ago. Yeah, caughte nothing and it was the same, like it was just laded. You start with fish and we couldn't get anything. My eight year old got a nibble and he yanked too quickly he put it in and he didn't get it. And kids, you know, if you're going fishing with a kid, if you don't get a bite within thirty seconds, La, what the hell is this? This is boring as anything, you know, So how we couldn't get it. The guy was really apologetic to's like sorry, I mean there's so many fishing that I don't know you can't get We were usually he had little hot dog like little pieces of hot dog. He said, this is a vegan finish, but that was the thing. He cast out a couple more times, Sebastian, and they just kept taking the bait and not coming in and he was not happy, not happy at all. So yeah, but it's funny though talking about formula one because I used to really follow it back in the day when I lived in England, because it's great in Europe. It's such a huge event in Europe, and in North America it's still kind of picking up. And I remember the nineteen ninety nine season was Michael Schumacher, I think it might have been his first season at Ferrari, and he was obviously their number one driver, their favorite, and you know, they have blatant like you're our number one, you're our number two, and they don't want the number two guy taking over. But the number two Ferrari was Eddie Irvine. And what happened was Michael Schumacher broke his leg halfway through the season, and Eddie Irvine obviously came their number one driver and he lost the driver's championship to Mika Hackenham by like two points. But it was a really exciting race to the end there because the Ferrari obviously would have loved to win, but it wasn't there guy winning. So there was this weird sort of like Eddie's like, I'm trying to win this thing, and Ferrari's like it's not good if Schumacher doesn't win, even if he's broken his leg, you know, like and he can't race, So there was the storyline of like Eddie going basically against Ferrari even though Ferrari were kind of pulling for him because that no one else and he nearly did it in the end.
Speaker 1: But well, that's exactly what this email is all about. It there is so much time, yeah, politics and drama within this racing world and like, oh yeah, they're also racing, you know, you know Coors.
Speaker 5: And well Schumacher is such a funny one too, because in his early days when he was at Benetton, he won out a couple of years in a row, and then I think it was ninety six when he was trying to win in the last race Damon Hill off the road to or he tried to and it didn't work and a backfight on him. Then Shoemackers just like, nah, I didn't do that. But you know these drivers, they're incredibly skillful. So for a guy to be driving along then just like ram into the other guy and then deny it was hilarious. Yeah, it's I want to get back into seeing you guys tweeting about it. It's it is fun. It's a really you've got to you've really got to invest in the whole season, though. I think you can't sort of just pick it up late. You gotta you've got to sort of see the storylines of how it builds up throughout the year.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't speak for Tree. I think he's similar to me, Like we really got hooked when we watched the actual reality show that they need surrounding the f one season Drive to Survive. It's on Netflix. There's two seasons now, Ray Tree, I think, up, yeah, that's right, and it's like, I mean, you talk about drama like it's obviously edited incredibly well and they're giving you all the stories, the juicy like oh, this guy's battling this guy, this guy's beef with this guy, this guy's going to move to this team, and all that. But it's amazing. Highly highly recommend Drive to Survive if you haven't watched it already. Is it a movie a series? It's a serious like a horror series. But you will be I think you'll get hooked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, see that. We used to have a Grand Prix in Melbourne too. That was the first one of the season and it was one of those in city tracks, so they had to block off streets like in a couple of weeks leading up to it, and that was beautifully flat. But you could tell when it was Grand Prix was nearby in Melbourn because everyone was in their cars just ripping around the streets.
Speaker 1: Everyone just like everywhere they go.
Speaker 5: And before they closed off those streets around the other part, like cops used to get everyone just speeding by because the road was so perfectly smooth and everyone's like, hey, I'm a Formula One driver, right.
Speaker 1: Right, right, gotta be careful out there. What about you, tak.
Speaker 2: It wasn't Michael Schumacher the highest paid athlete in the world for a time.
Speaker 5: Like probably yeah, yeah, when I moved to Ferrari, he probably was, yeah.
Speaker 2: Around like I think it was like back then it was a lot and what it was like twenty five or thirty a year or something like that.
Speaker 1: So, like Lewis Hamilton is at this point now challenging a lot of Schumacher's records, right, So.
Speaker 5: I think Hamilton's a six time champion. Chewey was a seven time champ.
Speaker 2: Shuey, Sue Jeey. It's great to get some Huey Louie. Good to hear Mika hacking in again. Hacking a loop over here, Mika kippers off and a loop I I'll jump in here. Sticking with sports baseball For me, it's you know, I just I just ate it up. But I can't stand a labor dispute. So after the ninety three season, uh Jays went back to back. I was a wee lad. I was enjoying. I was that was my sport for sure. But then ninety four it could have we could have had a Blue Jays Expos World Series if there wasn't a strike, and then I'd had enough. I think, well, then the Raptors came to town. So things changed for me.
Speaker 1: But you, but you, you're holding on to your love of baseball because you're you're always good for like sharing a nice baseball tweet. I think you just shared one. You're like, uh, what what was that Jay's game that clipped you shared? Was it like just a practice basically?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think they're doing a little inner squad because nobody in Toronto. This is their spring training two point zero right now, and they're having uh they're having these games, you know, within their teams and no fans in the stands obviously, and I could you could just hear the thwack of the bat. Maybe it's Bobachette's bat, just like Dad Dante used to do it. But that thing was loud. It was a loud back clip. Yeah, I watched it. I watched that clip only because you shared it. I was like, holy, that was a sweet crack at the bat. It was almost almost a thwack, some would say, as Dave Deforre said, and uh, actually I didn't. I'd seen this going around Blue Jay's Twitter. But they call the big the big sound, the big thwack of the bat they call they have a hashtag placata I guess because it makes that sound like p l a k A t A. If you see that hashtagging around, it's because the J's are thwacking. And yeah, that was that was bobah yesterday, first pitch of the Inner Squad game. It's just so weird. Though they're in Toronto. I don't even know if it's clear whether or not they're going to stay in Toronto, because that hasn't been cleared, like our team's gonna fly there because of the the US Canada thing. There's it's just baseball is weird.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: Baseball is very weird.
Speaker 1: My answer is very similar to all what you guys are saying. It's just all these other sports. I used to be a diehard baseball fan, like task was talking about. Same with football, the NFL, you know, Big Bills fan, and even hockey when I was much much younger. So it's like, you know, it just I still like the sports. I'll still watch them occasionally, but I'm not, you know, obsessed with them by any means. And that's fine. You know, our love is basketball, our true love. Jady, do you have a different answer because we're all answering sports here. Do you get anything else?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess the most obvious answer is music. For me, I was in a bands and stuff from the age of fourteen to the age of thirty, and then I walked away in age I never looked back.
Speaker 1: Did you just set down your drumsticks like you were like Undertaker taking off his gloves and his hat in the right.
Speaker 6: I don't understand that reference, but probably, but.
Speaker 1: You said you just walked away. That's why I picture it, like you played the perfect set and then like your drums exploded and you just sat down your drumsticks.
Speaker 5: All these bosketball movies that we've been doing for film review. Jeddy, I think there's one here with you with a music review. You know, maybe one of your kids. So someone you know picks up that drum, the drum sticks and starts playing, and all of a sudden, it just pools you back in there. You want to teach and pass on the wisdom of your experience.
Speaker 6: That could happen. Well, Yeah, the thing is that I started when I started playing the drums, it wasn't I wasn't a drummer.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 6: I kind of dicked around on the guitar and the bass and the drums. But every band that I was in needed a drummer so and I was best at that. So I was just behind the drums the whole time, where you don't have enough control.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you got as have been keeping up on your guitar and piano practicing, but it sounds like you could use a drummer as well.
Speaker 4: We could.
Speaker 1: I could also learn how to play the guitar first. I feel like tastes ahead of me and his keyboard skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it. I got it a quick. Little Mary had a little lamb for you. If you're in.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see you battle. This could be like a little dueling piano as we could make it a podcast. My buddy Grish has a keyboard too, now, Tess. He's putting in the work. He's got nothing else to do. I don't know. I'm just saying, maybe he's ahead of you already. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Splet's screen zoom, my buddy Grish dropping some ish.
Speaker 6: I got nothing, all right?
Speaker 2: Moving on any other answers to that one?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I was just gonna say, I'm just like saddened now because from JD's story, I'm picturing like the way you made it sound is like you actually want to be the lead guitarist. You want to be, you know, the lead singer, and like you're almost just like you're forced to play the drums. He's just sitting there for sixteen years banging away. That should have been me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you know, I can't sing, so that's a problem. So that was part of.
Speaker 2: The problem, you know. Okay, Yeah, and he got Jackson Jackson riding your riding your wings, isn't He's He's.
Speaker 6: Well surpassed me. He's like so much better than I am so much better. He's like, he's up there doing the pretty shuffles. He's playing Tom Sawyer for Cranout.
Speaker 1: Lad. He's good.
Speaker 6: He's legit good. And I'm not just saying that because he's my kid.
Speaker 2: Awesome, all right, next email here Last week as task dropped, he had another great pun Yeah I did about his Royal Poison Ivy situation going on. Yeah, Royal Ivy a journeyman point guard in the league. Great, great name. I thought my interactions with him years ago. This guy had an interaction with Royal Ivy. I was fortunate enough to sit courtside at Jazz games occasionally, and it became my game within a game to try and get something from a player on the opposing team because of where my seats were. Royale was a super nice guy, talked to me throughout the game, and I ended up getting his shoes after the final buzzer. I was on a date, so I felt an obligation to give her one of the shoes as a keepsake. I regret this decision twelve years later and wonder what she ever did with it, and wish I had the other shoe to display.
Speaker 1: To display Royale Ivy shoes weare in the garbage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twelve years, she's probably not displaying that one shoe thinking I wish I had that guy's shoe. I mean you can call her. I'm sure you could find her number. Do any of you guys have regrets or a keepsake that you wish you still had? Thanks for all the amazing content and lasses from a long time fan, Wes Mangum in Utah. I mean, I'm not I don't really care to display shoes, but we had them on our set. On the starters. We had a an Andrew Wiggans shoe up there. We had some other shoes up there.
Speaker 1: It's wait, who is the big Do we have a map bond or shoe him?
Speaker 4: Or no, you did have a map bond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was another one too. It was at brad Miller.
Speaker 3: It was a couple of We had a couple of pair of brad Miller's shoes on. So, I mean, if you guys are missing those, we get I think.
Speaker 4: I think I got four of them. If we each want to go one shoe.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: So as far as the question any regrets or keep say you wish you still had? Just thinking about baseball, I still wish I had a couple of bats that I had when I was a kid. I wish I just had my slammer. I had a nice little toothpick wood one, just to have a round. It's nice to grip and rip occasionally, just to have it if you ever, you know there's a burglar around, if you ever need to take care of business. It's just it's just good to have a bat. They come in handy, metal, wood, doesn't matter. It's nice to just fire out, like you know, it's nice to I just like swinging the feeling of swinging a bat. And I don't really like the whiffle ball situation.
Speaker 1: Not as fun like you like some weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me a thirty ouncer.
Speaker 1: God, I would love to throw around a baseball right now, seriously, just you talking about that. I was like, yeah, I would love to chuck around a baseball. That's fun too. I don't even have a glove anymore. Brutal, brutal, I'll go next, Yeah, keepsake, I wish I still had I don't know if I really wish I still had it, because I don't like to hold onto things all that much. I just I just don't like things that just sit in boxes or just have no point. Really. I mean, I know they have sentimental point or something, but it'd probably be a boomerang from Australia. Lee, I did buy a boomerang at one point in Australia. I think you're everyone does you have to? Yeah, and I definitely did when I lived there, and I had it for a while. I have you know, years ago. Now, I must have been like, why do I have this? Bye? And I just threw it. See I just threw it, but I threw it incorrectly, so it never came back. But I guess I wish I still had it. I don't know what I would really do with it. I got this big shelf now beside me here, you can't you guys can sort of see it. I have almost nothing on it, So maybe it would have gone there because we've you know, recently moved into our house and this room is the last one to get taken care of. But a boomerang, I wish I kept it. League Do you know anyone that can hook me up with an authentic boomerang? It was authentic?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, you can actually get one here in Atlanta at the Australian bikery cafe. I know you've got a couple of therev Yeah. Yeah. He had even had a couple of digitides there too one time. So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Never wanted that because the people that bought those traveling around with one of those, no thanks.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It's funny though, you talked about like the boomerang, because when I went to Australia one time with I only went back to like ten days. It was sixtieth birthday, I think it was. So I went up to Wears Rock to climb Air's Rock, and I bought this, you know, the classic Australian like a kubra hat, and I thought, I'm gonna wear that around and it's incredibly comfortable. It's really comfortable, and it's really good at keeping you like from not getting too hot while having a nice cool hat on. And so I took that back to Europe and I took it around the Middle East. And I went around the Middle East that year and it was stinking hot, like forty eight degrees celsius in Egypt, and this hat was incredible. Now I started sweating in it a lot, right, So eventually, I think at the end of the trip I just chucked it out, and I'm like, I wish I kept that. Actually, yeah, I mean I can easily buy a new one, but that was the one that had been through some battles with me, you know, it had been some places, and I'm like, I wish I just didn't throw that out. That was really nice and comfortable. Now think about it again, we're in the middle of the stink and hot here in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I might go to the.
Speaker 5: Australian Bakery cafe and see if he's got one of those two buy one, because I need one.
Speaker 1: Everything Australian in this not everything, But he's got buy a kangaroo from this game. You can buy kangaroo meat.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, he's got a few other those little you know, things like that that people want, want souvenese. So yeah, I'm check it out. Tell you how to nith pick up some paws and Lemington's while you're there.
Speaker 1: Sounds delicious. What do you got here for this one tray?
Speaker 3: I struggled with this because for me, this is like an in the moment thing where I will remember like a ridiculous item of clothing that was no longer useful in my house and eventually went to the thrift store. But in that moment, I'm like, man, I really wish I'd saved that terry cloth t shirt, you know, like, like, why do I need a shirt that's made out of a towel?
Speaker 4: Only for one day? Could I want it? But that one day, I'm like, why in the world would I get that out of my house?
Speaker 6: I need it?
Speaker 1: Now give me my terry cloth. What about you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no regrets and no nothing. I don't keep anything and I don't regret not keeping anything.
Speaker 1: Really, you're you're similar to me in that in that sense, you don't hold on to things all that much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really the same. Same with Trey. I really struggled with this. I could think of a single thing that I wish I still had. Wow, like nothing, there's nothing.
Speaker 5: Not even those drumsticks, drums.
Speaker 6: Especially the drumsticks.
Speaker 1: Well, let me, is your wife the opposite of you?
Speaker 4: JD?
Speaker 1: Like, does she like to, you know, keep things that have, you know, sentimental attachment to them or not? Really?
Speaker 6: She likes to horde things, but I don't know that it's sentimental half things out? Yeah exactly, Yeah, not really. I mean she she suspected she was looking at her engagement ring, and she suspected that they made there may be a blood diamond in it. So she took it off like this was this was years ago, and and and which was fine. I mean she bought it. I didn't buy it. It was she bought it for herself. That's how sentimental I am. And so I had a wedding band. I'm like, well, you're not gonna wear wear yours. I'm not gonna wear mine. So I took mine off and I haven't seen it since. I have no idea where that wedding ring is. I think a guy donated to a good well or something.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Well, when I go back for my terry cloth, t sher jewelry section as well.
Speaker 1: Sit next one here, what's up? No Dunk's Crew. Recently, I've noticed two references to Keith van Horn on the podcast, once on the pod with NBA Jam author ray On Ali and the other with Cha Serano, who on the Who Wants Some Trivia podcasts. When I was six or seven, I loved Keith van Horn because he played for my hometown team, the seventy six ers, but also childishly because we share the same first name. So my question is have you ever liked a player for a really trivial or stupid reason? If so, who your tup? Love you guys, possum. That's from Keith r fun question. Yeah, we have talked to Oddlee a lot about Keith van Horn over the last couple of weeks on the podcast what do You Got, Trey.
Speaker 3: We're gonna keep talking about Keith van Horn because he is my answer, along with his Nets teammate Carrie Kittles, because they had tass. You know, they had that great series against the Bulls in nineteen ninety eight, so they seemed like a team on the rise. Their socks certainly were on the rise. Jordan retired after that, so the Nets became my second favorite team just because they had two guys would pull their socks up to their knees.
Speaker 4: So for me, like seventh and.
Speaker 3: Eighth grade, I'm running out there with you know, our nineteen seventies uniforms handed down from the high school. I got the bike shorts sticking out and my socks pulled all the way up to my legs.
Speaker 4: I'm only showing kneecaps.
Speaker 1: I think you weren't alone in that that that you know, fashion fat or whatever you want to call it. People were.
Speaker 3: Kittles is even more of a legend because when he was playing at Villanova, he would go one sock up and one sock down. Seemed unbelievable that somebody could actually do that. I don't know if it was actually allowed for him in the NBA. So he eventually switched to the two socks up look but a money look.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: Keith Van Horn, what do you got Lee?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't even really remember how it started, but the Kyle Kolova kisses really turned me to just a super fan of Kyle Korva. Like before he joined the Hawks. You know, I didn't dislike him or anything, but I didn't love him.
Speaker 4: But then it.
Speaker 5: Became to the point where I was like, Keith van Kyle Korva has to be an All Star in twenty fifteen or whatever it was twenty sixteen maybe, and he was and he turned into an All Star and it's like, oh my god, he's made it and now and then I did that shootout with him as well for the show, and I just sort of all of a sudden went from like, yeah, he's a you know, he's an Ashton Kutcher looking guy who can shoot threes into like Kyle Korva is my favorite player of all time.
Speaker 1: Wow, you you created the corvera kisses? Did you? Yeah?
Speaker 5: But how I don't know, I mean do we just like it must have been down at the Fortress one night and it was just that I guess after he started, after he started knocking in some threes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Great.
Speaker 5: But I just love Kyle now and I love seeing him out on the bucks and anytime he comes out on the court, I'm like, I hope he hits a few threes because he's great.
Speaker 1: Okay, task, I announced it.
Speaker 2: I will always love Jason max Seal because he had the perfect round head his head. His head unlike any other NBA player I've ever seen. He was He was rolled as a child. He never spent more than five minutes on his back or on his belly. He was rolled at all times. So his head is perfectly round. Try find me a more roundhead than Jason Maxiel.
Speaker 1: Eric snow no, Eric, No, that's a roundhead.
Speaker 2: I guess you're thought it was a more narrow.
Speaker 1: Jason Maxieal. I like that he has just a place in no Dunk Slash starter slash basketball Jones Lore too, with the infamous bet that we made way back in the day that he would be an All Star before Danny Granger, which is still one of the weirdest bets of all time. Yeah, that's I think that. Didn't he Danny Granger? Did he only make one?
Speaker 5: I need to?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I had high hopes for Jason Maxiel. I fell in love early. I liked how he played, I loved his energy and it was good. And then he completely disappared and then Danny Greecher was the I don't know why. Why did I pick Danny Granger is the weird part, as like, I mean, maybe task maybe even you picked him and we were debating who was going to be better. I can't really remember that part of the.
Speaker 2: Story, but I don't know. Could have been a question too. Eric Snow looking looking it up now, I get what you're saying with the roundness. The top of his head is really round, but I'm talking full fully, like, yeah, it's a sphere, perfect perfect head.
Speaker 5: Brooks had a little roundhead, didn't he, I think, Yeah?
Speaker 1: He had, didn't Marsham Brooks have he had a normal size? Had I thought? And then had like someone took photoshop and like shrunked his face down into the head.
Speaker 2: Small features, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Small features.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: You know it's the dog days, baby, because this one is about a reporter and everybody and everybody out there is getting their content from NBA reporters these days, hanging out in their hotel rooms, and you know, the contact with players has been reduced, so we're talking reporters, and this guy loves it. Heyo, No dunks. There, y'all are, And here I am in Omaha, Nebraska last Monday. When Test spoke the name of my beloved hometown, I instantly turned the volume up and pulled into a nearby runs up parking lot to properly indulge in the discussion. Hearing about local celebrity ESPN's Brian Windhurst in the conversation was absolutely delightful. Being an avid listener of the Hoop Collective, it's cool to know that the host of the podcast lives in my city. I'll admit, when I first found out that Wendy lives in Omaha, I had quite the fanboy moment. Granted, if I were to run into him, I'd play it off cool, just say hi and tell them that I respect his work. Best case scenario, we hit it off and find out that we have something else in common other than making the NBA, such as paddleboarding or coin collecting. With that said, who is a celebrity you think you could realistically meet and what do you think you'd have in common with them besides what they're most known for, you guys rock. That's from Jack.
Speaker 1: He took out his example at the end there, which I was laughing because he was like, He's like, Yeah, if you play the guitar and you met Eric Clapton, of course you would be able to talk about playing the guitar together, but that shouldn't count. I thought that killed.
Speaker 2: Thanks Laila, all right, Lee.
Speaker 5: Uh well, we got easy one here. Obama. I think there's a chance, because he's a big basketball fan, that at some point, NBA All Star, NBA Finals, he's there.
Speaker 1: I'm there.
Speaker 5: We just happened to cross parts, and we don't talk politics. We just get a ball out and we start hooping, and we just started shooting hoops. I think that's, you know, not beyond the complete realm of any sort of fantasy that it could never happen. I mean, I'm not sure he's just going to come out, you know, and just be like throwing the ball at me and saying, let's see you shot. But just you know, sometimes these things just kind of you know, you're in the right place at the right time, and it's like, holy hell, I'm just shooting around with Barack Obama right now. He's just getting some shots off with him.
Speaker 2: It could happen, nor paralytics, nothing but laugh.
Speaker 1: Man. What percentage of chance of that happening would you put at Lee?
Speaker 5: Well, well, he's alive and I'm alive, I'd say that's one yea in each I'd say it's about about three percent.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: But listen, he was in Chicago at the All Star Week. I know he's I know he's an Illinois guy. But you know now that he's so far from the sort of presidential you know, his time as president. I think I think at some point he's going to just turn up at the finals, you know, and it's like.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, it wasn't the finals in Toronto.
Speaker 1: I think as a right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I don't necessarily think he's showing up three hours early and milling around the court.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that, But what about late in the game, like maybe he's maybe he's had a few pops in the in the suite, and he's like after the game, you know, everyone's sort of making their way out, and I'm just out in the court. He's in the court.
Speaker 1: The security. Security's not coming out on the court leating the game.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, after the game, you know they've cleared it all out, like all the media has done, and you know, I'm packing up on grabbing my bag. He's about to head out, and then someone there's a ball there and he gets some shots up. Security's not coming saying excuse me, so you got to go. They're like shoot.
Speaker 1: Away, man, go for it.
Speaker 5: And then all of a sudden, I'm rebounding and firing the ball back to him. Nice shot, beat, Nice shot.
Speaker 1: You know I shot beat while you're already cald be Yeah what. It might be even more likely that this scenario would happen at like some sort of like charity event, some initiative that he's backing. You know that there is a court, there's kids, you know. Yeah, Okay, then maybe you get an invite somehow, You're you're covering it for some reason.
Speaker 5: Maybe send him an invite to join me on popping packs about that. I think he'd be great at it. I think he'd be awesome at it. All right, I'm gonna send a message just I'll tell you how guys.
Speaker 1: All right, well you're doing that, Trey, Do you have an answer for this one.
Speaker 3: I think it's possible I could meet Bravos Andy Cohen because he's a Saint Louis guy, so he's probably around there sometimes. I've got Saint Louis connections on my side of the family and on Laura's side of the family. And if that ever happens, no doubt. We're talking Ted Drews Rosen Custard, the most famous custard shop in all of America. And we're also talking The Grateful Dead. The guy's a huge deadhead. You know, he's backstage at Dead and Company shows. He's buddies with John Mayer, and you know, I'd just like to talk to him about Europe seventy two or Cornell seventy seven.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Okay, I could see it happened. I'm sure I'll go with Bieber. I think I'll one day run into Bieber again. I saw him when he was a young kid, had no idea who the hell he was, of course at that point, but uh, you know, why not. It's some sort of Strafford festival. Beibe's gonna be back in town see his grandparents, and then we're just talking Strafford. Oh yeah, high school.
Speaker 6: Yell this.
Speaker 1: I can't believe this change. Can you believe they got a KFC now? Stuff like that? I think I could happen, and then it might just even be Yeah, it might be. Uh you know, I've thrown the challenge out there before. I'd like to play on one on one. See who's Strafford's finess is between? Oh yeah, I would definitely drop the biber on Biber. That would be the first thing I would do. In fact, I don't think i'd ever shoot it. I would just keep trippling. Yeah, just keep going till whatever shot clock expired and hand the ball back to home. And I would only shoot in my left hand. Right, don't the shoot with his left hand on this and that one famous clip, I'd have to wear a La King's hat to give a stare to the camera. Yeah, Beabs, I'll run into Beabs at some point. Task gut an answer.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a spot I go to for kids down here in Atlanta, the Atlanta Children's Museum, and quite often they bring out you know, huge characters in their six foot costumes, like Daniel Tiger, you know Disney characters. I I have dreams of them bringing out the teenage mutant Ninja Turtles and meeting my idol, Michelangelo. I'm a huge Michelangelo guy.
Speaker 1: You know, he's such a party dude.
Speaker 2: It's a huge party dude. You know his primary focus partying, secondary focus none chucking, but his third focus of pizza. We could we could brow down on talking pizza, me and Michelangelo.
Speaker 1: To bring back in the reporter talk. Do you see Chris Mannix writing about he doesn't like cheese on anything except pizza. He was writing this in his bubble report for SI Crazy take. Doesn't like cheese on anything, finds it disgusting except pizza. That's the weirdest part to me. It's like, Okay, if you're anti anti cheese, okay, I get it. Maybe you're even lactos dollar or whatever. But he's obviously not because he loves it on pizza like a normal person. But Nacho's no bread. No, you know, that's that's wild to me.
Speaker 3: It really makes you wonder would he eat a cheesy garlic bread It's pretty similar.
Speaker 1: I guess not. I guess.
Speaker 2: Fascinating times we are reading about all of these reporters food tendencies. I think Lee, you could take a tip from the athletics Joe Varden. He's trying to become vegan right now.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's tough.
Speaker 2: That is tough, and I know you're struggling to be in the vegetarian category. Maybe he can, maybe he can bring you along. You know, he's doing it in the bubble.
Speaker 5: I know, I've seen what people are tweeting out there, those ham and cheese croissants and things like that. I mean, if that's all you're getting, it's hot to just sort of pick the cheese and the ham out of that and just leak the croissant too. So it's a tough time. If he can pull it off, I commend him for it. If he can do it, then I can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, we got way more than ten people, ten reporters in this bubble, right I don't know, if you keep it track, it's gotta be way over ten. It's closer to twenty if you ask me, maybe twenty five it feels like it gets and is it groundhog Day right now? Following all these guys and women, Like it's like I get it. They're stuck in a hotel room for seven days. They don't have much else to report on. They got to get that content going, you know, you gotta you gotta crank that out, especially with the amount of money it takes to send these people there. But it's like I feel like I've read or seen the same thing like ten times now of like this is my kit and this is what I do, and this is my hotel room there. It's the exact same hometown rooms. But again, I'm not knocking them. It's like hilarious that they've they're just way. We've got this little lineup here of great reporters down there for all these different factions, but it's the same thing over and over over again. I can't wait till they're free to leave their hotel room at the.
Speaker 5: I just I'm just looking here for Barack Obama because he follows like six hundred thousand people on Twitter bad news. I can't slide into his dms there, but I have found I have found like a contact Barack Obama and if you've got to you know, if you've got something you want to say to him, just fill out this form. So I'm gonna send him an out say if he wants to come and pop some packs with me.
Speaker 6: Take leah, I'll DM him for you. Because he follows me.
Speaker 5: Say it's already starting to come together like this, though I'd appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That'd be great he still follows you.
Speaker 6: I haven't checked it a while, but I think so wow.
Speaker 5: If he does, he just just slot in there and just say, my friend once last year.
Speaker 6: Wants to open basketball cards with you.
Speaker 1: Is he?
Speaker 3: What is he?
Speaker 1: Ten eleven? That's sounds like it could be fun. Oh no, No, he's a forty three year old man.
Speaker 5: Forty four.
Speaker 1: It's a good number for Yeah, you snergy. What the hell's a Runza? By the way, he said he pulled into a Runza parking lot. Never heard of a Runza. Is that a like a like a home depot type thing in Nebraska?
Speaker 2: Is it as a restaurant? It looks like.
Speaker 1: Never sandwich shop of some sort.
Speaker 2: Runs aren't Why Nebraska is obsessed with the Runs of Sandwich?
Speaker 1: Is that anywhere else in the country. I've never am I alone even saying this, I mean, I guess.
Speaker 2: Not yeah, no, no idea.
Speaker 1: Oh I gotta try a runza now I Brian Winnhor's talking about a runza? Is it good? Is it a good sub sandwich? Whatever?
Speaker 2: Chris Max, you gonna eat this? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a little cheesy, amazing, amazing, all right, one more and then we'll wrap this bad boy up. Hey, no, dumb's crewe. Lately, my two year old son has been running around the house saying bitch, bitch, bitch. My wife and I try not to swear in front of him because he's a little parrot, but a few f bombs have slept here and there. However, we don't normally say the word bitch, so we would be confused by this. On Wednesday, I turned on the Beach step in podcasts, and the second my son heard the music, he started saying bitch, bitch, bitch. Then it clicked. He's trying to say beach because he listens to every podcast. As soon as the regular intro music hits, he says podcast and hey he drops as in response to the bearded one. Anyway, what do you guys think about Jordan getting a bunch of bunk beds and having the delete eight second bubble At his vacant house in Chicago. There are a ton of rooms and a full sized court. I can't imagine the players will be thrilled by sharing rooms like they're at summer camp, like they're sharing a big yurt. But maybe staying in MJ's house adds a certain element to it. What you got that's from Eric fun little story off the top. Yes, it's beach. He's just trying to stay beach. But I love that he loves the music, he loves the podcast. But what do you think about this idea, Trey, this Jordan idea second bubble?
Speaker 4: Brilliant man. He's trying to sell his house.
Speaker 3: You could lease it for a few months and you know, to to cover the mortgage.
Speaker 4: In the meantime.
Speaker 3: Michael Jordan has a team that could actually be playing in the bubble, so or I don't know if this would be a bubble in the mansion, whatever you want to call it. So yeah, send the hornets there, send the bulls there. But I don't know if you're gonna have enough space for eight teams in one house. But there are a lot of celebrities that have basketball connections that also have basketball courts in their house, right, you could do The Warriors maybe could play at Drake's Shack has a court.
Speaker 4: Will Smith has a court.
Speaker 3: We can open it up, send two teams to each famous person's house and have them play a few times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then just make it a reality show. Oh, like them living in the mansion like Big Brother is a style there. Yeah, I like that idea a lot. I wouldn't want to. I mean, I guess who's the worst team to leave a you Warriors if they all went to MJ. So the Warriors would have to sleep in the cigar room. That's the punishment, right, because it's like Big Brothers, like first one in the house. If you have the best record, you get to go in the house first, and you get to pick your room. I think your team gets to pick your area of MJ's mansion. I don't know. I wouldn't want to sleep in a cigar room that lead Oh.
Speaker 5: God, yeah nah nah, No matter how much scrubbing and cleaning, it probably still is a bit musty in there. But yeah, it's funny, isn't it that he still hasn't been able to sell that house. I thought like it's stanyn to foty and a half million or whatever. That's a steal. That's a steal. I think it's shocked that he concept. It must be something else wrong.
Speaker 1: With it, Oh, bad bones.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe plumbing, maybe the electricals. You know, maybe someone's checked it out and they're like, this toilet, this the fifteenth toilet doesn't flush all that well, so it's a nobly handle. Yeah, who knows?
Speaker 1: Who knows? All right, guys, thank you so much for sending in your questions. That was a fun one. Keep them coming for next week. For next week's excuse Me Beach step In podcast, my mouth is dry right now, my mouth is dry. If you have it already, please leave your boys a sweet five star rating and review on iTunes. And yeah, thanks for joining us today. We'll be back with a couple more podcasts for the rest of the week. Clipper Bros. Take us home.
Speaker 4: You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up. Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, and remember Mike Tyson's favorite burger chain is fake fac.
Speaker 1: Embrace the idea.
Speaker 6: You could stay boo every day and dad you happy every minute.
Speaker 1: It's been so long that you're the one of waiting for.
Speaker 2: It's happened already.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be grivy