Speaker 1: You were listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: I don't know about it in France or in Italy, but the Sunday lunch in Britain is is at really sacred. It's important, it's memories, it's who is coming.
Speaker 3: I think any kind of ritual around food is really important for a family, and one day a week, if you can get together and eat, it's just an opportunity to reset and reconnect and there's no escaping, there's no running around.
Speaker 1: You know, you're together and you're sharing something.
Speaker 3: Like I really value a plan and a and a routine around around getting together and certainty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that a certain world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sunday roast is quite important to you as a cook.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I've done it since I've kind of first lived on my own. I think it was a way of feeling like I was independent and an adult if I took over that. I mean, Mum still has has Sunday roast and has people over a lot, but I think I've become the kind of the roast, the main roaster of the family. And we lived in New York for the past seven years and I crave that British tradition. So on Sundays i'd have I'd know that I would be cooking, and I would say to all of my English friends or anyone really but that it's open house on Sunday and they'll be food, and people would just come and bring their kids. And it was an amazing sense of keeping that English tradition.
Speaker 1: That I really value.
Speaker 3: So my daughter is she loves it. If I don't roast for some reason on a Sunday, she's very disappointed. Yeah, let's talk about what a roast is. So a roast is some form of meat, beef, flam chicken, pork, roasted with olive oil and whatever else.
Speaker 4: So would you that's taking a beef.
Speaker 2: Would you buy a beef on the bone or do you have it boned enrolled or is there a way or do you try to different ro It sort of.
Speaker 1: Depends on what looks nice in the butcher.
Speaker 3: But I would then stab holes in it, stuff garlic and time, and cover it in salt and lemon and olive oil or whatever else you.
Speaker 1: Know, and then roast it. And then the potatoes are.
Speaker 4: I think one of the challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a roasting a piece of beef or a big piece of pork or a large piece of beet, whether it's on the bone or not, is determining when it's done. I know because if you grill something, if you grill even a very thick piece of steak, you can sort of see, you can see it, you can turn it.
Speaker 4: But watching a beef, do you have any.
Speaker 1: I've got a meat thermometer.
Speaker 4: I mean, you put a thermometer in.
Speaker 1: I'll use a thermometer.
Speaker 3: I'll also have an idea from the butcher of how long it takes to cook. Sometimes, if it's a good butcher, they will know. But I've been led very astray, and the resting, obviously is essential.
Speaker 4: How long do you rest it for?
Speaker 3: I mean half an hour of whatever, however long it takes for everything else to catch up. Chicken is the easiest. I can do that blindfold. I could do that in my sleep.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I like to put butter and a kind of I'll make a buttery mush with herbs and lemon and salt, and the butter will be quite hard, and then i'd stuff under the skin and rub it so it's the butter is hard, yes, not melted. It can be softish but you want to stuff it under it and then massage.
Speaker 4: And into the skin under the skin.
Speaker 3: Which is a lovely trick for terrifying children, which just looks incredibly creepy to see your hand coming out of a chicken underneath.
Speaker 1: And then massaging that in. And then it's really simple.
Speaker 3: But lemon, salt and onion up the bomb with a bit of a lemon and and then.
Speaker 4: I'll do anything in the pan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the carrot, celery, onion, holy trinity, which I'll then use for the gravy, and sometimes halfway through I'll put some.
Speaker 1: Wine in as well. The gravy is my thing.
Speaker 2: The gravy, well, bray is really hard.
Speaker 3: Gravy is really hard, and all sorts of weird things go into mine.
Speaker 1: But it's but it's quite legendary, Okay, I mean, I'm going to have you around. There isn't any.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: The chicken comes out.
Speaker 3: We've obviously got the Holy Trinity left in the pan and all of the juices and the kind of stock that the chickens formed.
Speaker 1: And then I'd add some more wine and.
Speaker 3: Get all of those bits off. I cheat and I use some wheal and some chicken stock and some cubes and maybe a little bit more lemon if it needs it.
Speaker 1: It's definitely on the Lemonee side. I put some Dijon mustard.
Speaker 4: In that I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting which is which is where dieseon mustard.
Speaker 3: Sometimes a dash of soil sauce criminal probably what else goes in there. I like a thick I mean, I've got this Yorkshire side of me, so I don't like I'd like quite a thick gravy, hearty.
Speaker 1: As in as in some people like a jew.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think with a roast you need a gravy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you always do. Everybody wants the gravy. I think the gravy, you think. Yeah, But it's interesting that Za is my step son, and so here's my mother law and his grandmother Italian from Trieste, always put milk in the juice of the pan. So whatever she was, yeah, so whatever, just whatever she's making roast of beef for pork or chicken. You take the chicken out and then you put the roasting tray on top of the stove and then add milk and yeah, through the city. Yeah, and it makes thicker and also it does kind of scrape up the bits. And you also it's just a lighter color.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is just never never put cream in. Would never do it with cream.
Speaker 4: No, I was just going to get to that. No, I want you to put it.
Speaker 2: So what Dad is talking about is there's an Italian recipe called pork cooked and milk.
Speaker 4: Yes, the essential ingredient.
Speaker 2: In the pork cooked and milk is lemon, because the zad said the lemon curdles the milk, you know, And so what you do is when you make buttermilk lemony exactly, So you put pieces of lemon and we make it here. But it's quite difficult to make because's cook it too long and the milk curdles so much that it's just little nuggets, which are actually really good, but you want to have those nuggets.
Speaker 4: And also the gravy.
Speaker 2: So I think gravy is a very magical those recipes because they are really interesting.
Speaker 4: Did you discover them? Did somebody tell me the amazing roast?
Speaker 3: And then we'd kind of get stuck in it's how I learned to cook, and I'd take over on the gravy, and then we'd keep adding things and it's evolved over time. And my sister recently, she was the person that said, you've got to put the Holy Trinity in the base of the pan. So that's made it added a little bit of depth.
Speaker 4: I love leaks.
Speaker 3: I think add an incredible flavor to everything, So sometimes I'll put some leaks in there or like, you know, whatever you've got lying around. But I get incredible satisfaction from feeding people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 2: You should come and work in a rose. It's just kind of you kind of look out. You're just maybe we are making people a bit happier. You are undown while they came.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair