Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: The paramedic that's tending to him says, you know what happened, and Seart turns to him and says, I wanted to kill everyone in the building.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career, research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers, and podcasters who have investigated and reported on notorious true crime cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and bad, and it's a deep dive into the unpublished details behind their stories. This is a story about a landmark case in Canada from just a few years ago. A teenager attacked two women in a massage parlor in Toronto in twenty twenty two. He killed one and seriously injured the other. When he told investigators why he did it, they settled on trying him for murder and terrorism. Journalist Lana Hall tells me about her piece in Maclean's magazine called the in Cell Terrorist. I had not heard of the in cell community until I started the show, which is about four years old at this point, and then all of a sudden, I felt like we covered at least two or three of these cases, and I just had to do a lot more digging on it. Tell me, is this sort of a new phenomenon and new? I mean, is this a last decade type of thing.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe the term is newish. It's maybe something that's you know, come to popularity within the last five years. I don't think the sentiment behind the in cell community is that new. I think it just has a name now and it's sort of found it. It's collective, you know, thanks to the Internet and all these kind of digital methods of communication.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Something interesting I learned in the research of this article was that the term was actually point here in Toronto by a local university student. She was having some trouble finding a date or some kind of a meaningful sexual relationship, and kind of as a joke, she set up this forum that was called Atlanti's Involuntary Celibacy Project or something like that, and it was kind of a joke, kind of a way to connect with the people and chat about the pitfalls of the dating scene. And at the time it was really a support network for people, I think. And eventually she found love. She abandoned the forum and somehow, you know, the horse was already out of the gate, so to speak, and it took on this darker, misogynistic undertone after a while. By the time she discovered that it was too late and it wasn't really something she wanted to be associated with anymore.
Speaker 1: Tell me what the typical profile is of someone who feels like they belong in this community, who would go on all of these boards and you know, kind of espouse whatever the belief is and then talk about the belief.
Speaker 2: I don't know really what the profile is in terms of demographics, other than it does tend to mostly be younger men. They have this belief that they are unable to find a relationship, whether that's you know, a romantic relationship or something sexual. There's this pervasive belief that it's because women are more sexually selective. And over time, as women have gained more financial independence, they get to be shoesier about their male partners. And so this means that men that are sort of at the bottom of the food chain, what in the in cell community they often refer to as beta males, that those guys are perpetually getting the short end of the stick, that they you know, they're not getting the kind of female attention they need. This is sort of a state that's been bestowed upon them at birth. There's no way for them to move up the social ladder and to accomplish these things. And they really believe that women hold the blame for that, and that women should be punished for that, in some cases very violently. And so there's a lot of this kind of discourse online talking about, you know, how they feel inferior, how women are the root of this problem, and that something needs to be done about it, and sometimes that something is really catastrophic.
Speaker 1: When you started digging into this case, specifically for your article, your long form article, what drew you into the case of this spa in Toronto in twenty twenty that became this just awful scene of blood and mayhem.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it probably came to my attention the way it did for most people in Toronto, and that was just through the daily news cycle. It did hit the newspapers and the online outline, and so it came up in my news feed. And when I heard that it happened in a massage parlor, I was like, Oh, oh my god, I wonder what happened. And then when I looked closer at the pictures, I realized I know that spa in particular. And so by this point, I've been working as a full time journalist for a number of years. But the reason the image caught my attention was because before I was a journalist, I also worked in Toronto's underground massage parlor economy. In particular, I worked at a SPA that was probably like a ten minute walk from Crown Spa, which is the location where this crime took place. So then I was kind of following it from these two channels, right, I did have this strong personal connection. I really wanted to know what was going on. And then when I heard about, ultimately what kind of charges were going to be laid in this case, which were pretty unprecedented, I was really surprised and I wanted to know more about that.
Speaker 1: So take me to this time period twenty twenty Toronto. You know, this is not something I've talked about before. This sort of the I don't know what's the best phrase. Is it a spa that also kind of offers erotic massages? Is that the right thing to say.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of really interchangeable terms. I think it's fair to call it like an erotic massage parlor. Sometimes people call them spas, but in a very casual way, and that's sort of a distinct, Like it's distinct from a place where you might go to get your nails done, or you might go to get like, you know, some kind of a facial treatment or something like that. In Toronto, there are these these businesses. They're called erotic massage parlors. Sometimes they're called body or parlors. The way the licensing works in Toronto is that there's a cap on the number of them, so I think they only give out like twenty five licenses or something. So there's a set number of them, and because of the way Zodian regulations work in the city, they're all sort of end up in some of these industrial neighborhoods to the north and the east of the core of the city. So there's this particular neighborhood kind of in the northwest corner of Toronto. It's a little bit cut off from the rest of the city by a major highway, and there's just a sprinkling of kind of random industrial building. There's like an auto body shop, there's a tile shop. You know, there's probably like a Tim Horton somewhere, which is a very Canadian centric coffee chain, and there's a couple of these massage parlors that are scattered around as well. They're very nondescript. They typically don't have you know, visible signage or lighting or anything like that. They're just kind of tucked it in a very discreete fashion. That's kind of the setting for this crime that happened on the morning of February twenty fourth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Are these kind of parlors where you would have people investigating trafficking or now I'm trying to figure out the difference between what we would call that kind of parlor here in the United States and what you all might call it in Canada.
Speaker 2: I don't know that there's an equivalent for this in the States. I know that because sometimes I would ask clients do you have these places in the States, And often they would say know, or they'd say, we do have them, but they're not as well regulated in Toronto. You are if you have a license to be a licensed body rubber. It's the same way you would get a license to be like a taxi driver or a food truck operator or an exotic dancer. If you have that license, you are licensed to give people what is called an erotic massage, which is just a massage that's a little bit more sensual and physical. There aren't supposed to be sexual services being offered at these places.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 2: You know, it is a little bit of a fine line, as I'm sure you can imagine, even just by the title. These are often jobs that are paid in cash, so they tend to attract people that are kind of in a bit of a transitional phase of life, and they do operate a little bit underground because because there is that fine line between erotic massage and sexual acts, they do get a lot of attention from the bylaw officers, from the cops who are often coming around and you know, making sure nothing unto ward why their definition is happening. I do think it's possible that you know, at some of these places you might find some young women who have been trafficked. You might find some young women who are in this business for not the greatest reason. Maybe they're you know, feeding a drug habit or kind of living at the poverty line or something like that. But overwhelmingly, I think a lot of people who work at these places they're just women trying to make a better living. Right. They could be students, they could be single parents, they could be you know, burgeoning entrepreneurs. They could be people that are saving up for a trip, or saving up for a car, or trying to pay down some credit card debt or something. So you really do find all kinds of women and some men, I suppose, working in these spaces.
Speaker 1: Were you in a transitional point if you feel comfortable talking about it kind of? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I had been a journalism student for about maybe a year and a bit. Prior to that, I had dropped out of journalism school temporarily. At the time, I had a part time retail job. And this is like twenty ten, So I think we're still kind of coming out of the recession a little bit, you know, maybe haven't fully recovered from that yet, and it's hard to find full time hours in a retail or you know, a customer service kind of setting. So I was really struggling with that, and also I think on some level that sounded kind of boring to me anyway. So I remember just flipping through the back pages of what used to be our alternative newsweekly, which used to have advertisements for like escort services and strippers and massage parlors, and I was just like, I wonder what it would be like to work at one of these places. I think on some level, like I thought it might be a good story, not in the sense that I wanted to write about it, but just you know, I'm a journalist. That's that's how my brain works. I'm in the business at finding good story, to be it in a professional setting or or I guess.
Speaker 1: Personally life's experiences exactly.
Speaker 2: So I just said to myself, you know, I'm going to send an email to this one advertisement. We'll see what happens if, you know, if I have second thoughts, I don't have to follow through. And they invited me in for an interview like the next day or something, and then I was like, Okay, well, why don't you just go for an interview and then if that sounds uncomfortable to you, then you don't have to show it for your first day. And then I go to the interview, and then I'm like, Okay, well, if that feels uncomfortable, like you know, go to your first day. If that feels uncomfortable, you don't have to keep going. So I was I was sort of just easing myself into this idea, I guess generally. But you know what, it was a great way. I mean, at first it was a great way to make money. I liked the people. Generally. I was intrigued enough, I guess, to keep going. And then, you know, for a whole host of reasons, all of a sudden, you know, it's like I'm three years in and I'm like, oh, okay, I guess this is my life now.
Speaker 1: Now it's come full circle for you. So with this particular story, which I think is so well written, let's start with the victims, because I think that's the most important thing. Set the scene for me for Crown Spaw in general. You've already kind of talked about where these spaws are located in Toronto, but tell me about the people inside. And this was a spa that I know was regulated. Everything was on the up and up, and this had a good reputation. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a Monday morning, February twenty fourth, twenty twenty. It's kind of a standard morning I think at Crown Spa. You know, at least one client has come in for an appointment. Jc the manager, who's a young woman, I believe in her early thirties. She normally works a front desk in addition to her other duties, you know, handling the phones and reading clients and placing ads and things like that. She is about to go to a dentist appointment and there was supposed to be a receptionist that was going to come in that morning and fill in for her, and that receptionist hasn't shown up. So Jace is on her phone. She's frantically scrolling through the phone trying to get you know, somebody who she thinks knows the business well enough to cover for her just for a few hours. And she settles on a friend of hers, twenty four year old Ashley or Zaga, who I guess Jason, he knows you know, through the business, knows and trusts enough to have her cover that shift for her. She says, you know, can you come in on short notice, just for a few hours, and as she says, yes, absolutely, she takes the bus all the way from the other side of the city basically on short notice, gets to the SPA. It's around lunchtime, maybe, settles in at the friend desk, and Jac heads upstairs to get ready for her appointment.
Speaker 1: Have there been issues there not that come from the SPA's fault, But have they been targeted by anybody before? Is there controversy at all with this spa?
Speaker 2: I haven't heard of any controversy regarding this spa. I don't think there's been anything, you know, happening there that's beyond just the normal realm of like wild West behavior, and it sometimes happens in these unregulated labor economies. But I haven't heard of them being targeted or of anything. Certainly nothing of this magnitude happening there previously.
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead and set the scene for me about what happens. We've said it's February twenty fourth, twenty twenty Monday. So we've got JC, the manager with a client upstairs. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So there's three there's three levels to this building. There's a basement where there are some treatment rooms. There's the main floor where there is the front desk and some other rooms, and then there's the apartment upstairs, which is where Jac lives.
Speaker 1: And we have Ashley Arzaga who is at the front desk at this.
Speaker 2: Point exactly, so Jac's upstairs. She's getting ready for her appointment as she's at the front desk settling in. Meanwhile, a seventeen year old boy named Ogazon Sert who lives about a fifteen minute walk away in a home with his father and his stepmother, is getting ready for his day in his basement bedroom and he puts on a trench coat, some sunglasses, and he grabs a couple items to put in his pockets. One of those is a stone that sharpens knives, one of them is his identification, and the last item is a seventeen inch sword, so like a short sword or kind of a large egger type weapon. He puts that in his pocket and he writes a note and the note says, long Live the in Cell Rebellion. He tucks that into his pocket before he leaves out the front door. He walks down the street. He walks to the parlor, opens the front door where Ashley is sitting at the front desk, and he begins to stab her with what will later be determined to be like forty two separate stab wounds. Jac's upstairs at this time. She hears some kind of a scuffle downstairs. She goes to check it out and stumbles into what I can only imagine is an absolutely horrific scene. She's lying on the floor in a pool of blood, probably dead by this point, and there's this guy in a trench coat with a machete who then whips around and starts attacking JC, who just minutes ago was consumed by whether she was going to get to her dentist appointment on time. And he's coming at her with the sword. He's screaming for Fanity's at her, telling her to die, calling her a bitch. They fall to the ground and they're struggling for a while. Jace had a her brother in law had been at the apartment with the intention of driving her to the dentist appointment, so he's around and she's screaming for him, and he comes down the stairs and is trying to open the door to the foyer, which is where JC and Sert are struggling on the floor. And he's pushing on the door, trying to open it, but their bodies are blocking it, and so jac says, this spot goes through her head, which is like, I've got to move, I've got to move both of us just a couple inches so he can open the door and get in to help us. And somehow, in the middle of all this struggling, she manages to do that. She manages to wrest the sword from his grasp and stab him in the back.
Speaker 1: And this poor guy is trying to get in. I mean, you know, poor j C and Ashley, of course, but this guy is trying to get in to say her his family member, and he cannot get in because they're blocking the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like just a really chaotic scene. I feel that must have been really hard for him to hear these things but not understand fully what was going on on the other side of that door. So fortunately, you know, she was able to open it just a little bit. And then you know, shortly after that, Sert stumbles out of the door into the parking lot. He's been stabbed. She's bleeding from several different wounds, and she runs next door to see if the adjoining store will call mine one one for her, And yeah, it just sounds like a really terrifying few minutes. It's hard to imagine that this entire scene took place over just those few minutes because it sounds like so much happened.
Speaker 1: So it's twenty twenty when this happens, I would expect, like CCTV. Is that a security camera, kind of a normal thing that would have happened at one of these spaws in Canada.
Speaker 2: So there is CCTV in the inside of the building. So this whole attack was caught on camera. Wow. Yeah, I did not that. I didn't attend any of the preliminary hearings and that was when it was showed. And I believe that some of the media who was attending they did get to see that footage. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It sounds like it would be something really awful to bear witness too. But ultimately the footage was really what would sunk the case because all of it was caught on camera. You know, you can see this attack unfolding the way that jac said. You can see the attack on Ashley, and you can see like the brutality behind it, so that was, you know, really kind of a life saver I think in terms of getting that first degree murder conviction.
Speaker 1: In the United States, if that footage had existed in this kind of attack, I feel like it would have gotten leaked somehow and just made its way all. I mean, that is sort of the perfect thing for potentially some members of the intell community to pass around everywhere and then people of course be horrified. In general. Did that end up happening in Toronto or no?
Speaker 2: Not, to my knowledge, I have not. I think that they're probably guarding that pretty tightly. I mean, I think generally in Canada, our criminal justice system is protected a little more, I guess, right, Like you guys allow cameras in the courtroom, so there's lots of like real time footage of these cases happening. We don't allow that in Canada. Journalists are allowed to be in the courtroom, but they are not allowed to videotape any of that footage. So it may just be a bit of a difference in culture. But you know, thank god, I don't believe that footage has been released, and I hope it stays that way.
Speaker 1: Good. Well, there are quite a few judges who won't allow cameras in their courtroom here, which is good, and I think some states that it's just a law you can't have cameras. But still I could see some places where it's helpful and then certainly a lot of places where it's hurtful. Okay, So if I set the scene, it's Cert in the parking lot at this point, and we've got JC next door trying to get the police. Does he leave? What happens with him in this park? Does he have a car? I forgot how you told me he got there?
Speaker 2: Oh? Cert, No, he walked. He walked on foot. What I've been able to determine from Jac's testimony is that he was a little bit stunned by this entire thing. She said that when she stabbed him, he let out this huge, melodramatic gas that she thought was like, very much over the top. I think at some point he also seemed to have injured his fingers. I don't know if that was something that she did to him, or if he did that himself or in the struggle, but she said he was sitting in the parking lot staring at his fingers. To be honest, I think It's very possible that he himself was also shocked at what was unfolding, like maybe he even had a weird out of body experience, and then he was there. He was waiting in the parking lot. JC had at some point run back in. She's still in manager mode. Clearly she had run back into the spot to lock the door. There was also another attendant who had been in the spot in the basement with a client, so she ran in to get her. She said, leave out the back door, Call nine one. I think that JC ultimately ended up running across the streets. She didn't want to be close to Sert right. She didn't know if he was going to get up and do something else, so she ran across the street and she was, I think, just kind of waiting there for the police and the ambulance to show up.
Speaker 1: So what happens when they do show up, I mean, he's still there.
Speaker 2: He's still there. Jac gets taken immediately, I think, to trauma hospital to treat her wounds. The paramedics are tending to search as well. He's been stabbed, but I don't think his injuries were quite as severe as Jacy's. Obviously, the paramedic that's tending to him, says you know what happened, and Sart turns to him and says, I wanted to kill everyone in the building. I'm happy I just got one.
Speaker 1: Wow. Did they find out why he targeted that particular spa. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The general consensus from what he told police was that he just lived in the neighborhood and he a few months prior it had occurred to him that there was a spa there. He doesn't seem to have a very clear understanding of what went on in the spa, like he refers to them as being prostitutes. So my guess is that he was just out walking and he just perhaps stumbled up across it. Later, they found some Google searches on his computer that you know, we're searching for things like Toronto massage parlor, Canada massage parlor, So maybe he was looking generally for a massage parlor and that was just the closest one that came up on his search results.
Speaker 1: Did you say that Ashley was stabbed? Did you say forty one times forty two? Wow? I mean that seems much more angry than someone who is just trying to eliminate so called prostitutes. Is that what seems like to you when you were reading that description.
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, it sounded like what they would refer to in some circles as overkill.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's an unthinkable amount of stab wounds and like no part of her body was was really left untouched in that sense. I can't imagine what the scene was like. I think it just speaks to the level of rage and anger that starts exhibited.
Speaker 1: Before or we find out more about cert Tell me about what will become the media coverage here. Is this the first big introduction to the in cell community, to Toronto or to Canada.
Speaker 2: No, actually it's not, And that's what's a little bit surprising. Back in twenty eighteen, we had another really high profile murder in which a man in his early twenties drove a rented van onto the sidewalk outside of subway station in Toronto and he ended up killing I think eleven people, most of them are women. But it was a fairly like indiscriminate act. He was kind of just plowing into the sidewalk essentially, but he also professed some you know, allegiance quote unquote to the in cell community. He left some kind of a message on social media shortly before the act happened, stating that it was a crime that was motivated by the in cell community. And that was a really big shock when that happened. That made headlines, you know, not just here in Canada but everywhere. I think for some people that was their first introduction to in cell behavior and this in cell ideology. But it was interesting because in that case, the prosecutor's office did not which is like the equivalent of the district attorney's office in the US. They didn't attempt to charge him with terrorism. The judge in that case determined that he was motivated by notoriety, like personal notoriety more than ideology, which, as we'll get to you later, is a key component of a terrorism offense in Canada. So they didn't opt to charge him that way. I mean, he did get he did get convicted of like eleven counts of first degree murder, but terrorism was never on the table for whatever reason for that case.
Speaker 1: So JC is hospitalized, but does she fully recover. I assume from all of her injuries.
Speaker 2: She does have some nerve damage. On that one hand. I saw her at the hearings and she looked healthy. She's clearly very smart, articulate, you know, resilient person. I think she's reallyocused on moving on from this the best way that she can.
Speaker 1: Did Ashley's family attend or was it just too painful? Of sure, she wasn't even meant to be there. That's so awful.
Speaker 2: Some of Affitt's family did attend. I believe at least one of her sisters, maybe two of her sisters attended, or just on the last day on the sentencing, they were, you know, very emotional. It was obviously really hard for them to be there and to look you know, her culler in the space. I can only imagine what that must have been like for them. And they also provided victim impact statements which were read out by the prosecutors at the sentencing as well.
Speaker 1: Well. Take me into Sert's mind as much as you can. He is under arrest. He makes this bold statement about wanting to kill everybody, but he was happy that he just got one. He's taken down. Is there anything else that's illuminated about this seventeen year old's life or how he got into this ideology to begin with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, as soon as he said that you know, that triggered the police to look into this more closely. So they went into his basement bedroom and they went through his belongings and they found some pretty concerning things and also painted a pretty concerning picture of just his life generally. So this is a seventeen year old boy. His parents divorced when he was young. At the time, he was living with his father and stepmother, but he wasn't going to school. He dropped out of school in like the ninth or the tenth grade. He didn't appear to be working, didn't really appear to have much in terms of structure, you know, whether socially or academically. They didn't have friends. It really didn't seem like he had much going on at all other than just spending his days in the basement being on the internet. I know that sounds like kind of a cliche for some of these, you know, like maladjusted young people, but that is really what the police found when they did a little bit deeper into his story. So then they seized his laptop and they found that he was active on a number of gaming platforms. He was really active on some in cell forums and in cell YouTube channels, and it just seems like he'd been spiraling deeper and deeper into this ever since, you know, he left school.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, do you think that one of the common threads that we find in the in cell community is a feeling of sort of the type of purpose that we as a society assigned to having a purpose in life, that they lack that career ambition or relate really deep relationship ambition or you know, autruism or something like that. Is that sort of a thread that you see throughout this.
Speaker 2: I want to believe it's that easy. Although to be honest, I think that anybody could be an in cell.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I actually don't think it really discriminates him that way. I suspect there are lots of high performing people who have jobs and families and hobbies and maybe friends who perhaps like do secretly subscribe to some of these ideas about you know, the roles that men and women are supposed to be playing in society. But in terms of like the desperation behind Sertz act, I do think that there was something to that, you know, I think if he had had some of those alternate ambitions or alternate activities in his life to give it meaning perhaps those would have anchored him in reality a little more.
Speaker 1: So when the Crown prosecutor charges him, and you know, we are going down this road of a trial, there's some controversy about that that you had sort of alluded to tell me the directions that they could have potentially gone. But what direction they went to.
Speaker 2: I mean, after the police have collected all this evidence, they opted to charge him not with first degree murder and attempted murderer, but also with an act of terrorism. And they claimed that, you know, his allegiance or his dedication to the in cell community constituted something called ideological terrorism. But there was just one problem with that, which is that that had never been done before in Canada certainly, you know, likely anywhere in the world. Nobody had ever tried to land a terrorsm conviction based on a crime that was known to be affiliated with the in cell movement. This is totally unprecedented. I still don't have a clear understanding of why they decided to choose that case to pursue that. Why now when we you know, we've had other examples in the past of perhaps higher profile in cell related violence that could have also resulted in those charges. I don't know why they chose this particular case for that, but it certainly it surprised me on multiple levels when I heard.
Speaker 1: That what is the difference in Canada between first degree murder and a terrorism act?
Speaker 2: Well, that is a really good question, and that is something that came up in some sources that I talked to. I talked to some lawyers who weren't affiliated with this case just to get their their idea about what this kind of a conviction might mean, and what a lot of people said was that they weren't actually sure if there was a point to adding a terrorism conviction on top of the first degree murder conviction, because in Canada we don't have the death penalty, So if you are convicted of first degree murder, generally what's going to be on the table is life in prison with no chance of parole for twenty five years. There are other things you could add to that, like labeling someone a dangerous offender and things that might, you know, sort of impact the seriousness of that sentence. But if you're already facing that for a first degree in murder charge, you know you can't you can't like increase that sentence. You can't in the States, we sometimes see this happen and what it means is the difference between life and prison and the death penalty. But we don't even have that option in Canada. So some lawyers were like, what is the point of this. He's already getting like the worst punishment Canada can dole out to its offenders. What would be the point of adding this.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wonder if it's setting a precedent, because what if JC and Ashley had both survived, then you're looking at two counts of attempted murder and he could have I don't know what it is in Canada, but he could have been out in years or something. If you lay in that terrorist offense on top of that, maybe that would get him to life for a longer side, I just wonder if this is more of like a setting a precedent type of thing.
Speaker 2: I think that's possible, and that is something that some people did bring up, like it would be more useful, ironically in a case where someone was convicted of like baslaughter or second devieworder, because then perhaps it could tip them into that more serious category.
Speaker 1: Now, what do we get out of search once he's in police custoding we know about his background, no structure, seemingly lack of purpose he falls into this community. Does he talk more about his thought process behind this? Did his parents have any suspicions about this?
Speaker 2: We know a lot about his parents and involvement. I think that they had to be subpoened at one point in an early hearing. I was not privy to that hearing, but they never attended any of the hearings that I was at. His defense lawyer told me that they had basically washed their hands of him, So, you know, we really don't know what was going on there. I find it hard to wrap my head around the idea that they had no concerns with him not going to school and not working. So I'm really not quite sure what the dynamic was there, But I think it's probably safe to say it wasn't, you know, healthy and supportive in the way that it should have been. What we heard from Sert as he talked a little more to the police officers is that he'd been planning the attack for months. He felt a kinship with the man I was talking about who had driven the van into several people in Toronto. He felt a kinship with Elliott Roger who it's the perpetrator of a pretty high profile in cell related mass murder in the States. You know that he really felt a kinship with these people who you know, also felt like they were wronged by women, and he wanted to take some action against it. He was also asked if there was a reason that he chose that massage parlor or is there's a reason he chose, you know, women working in them as parlor business, And he talked a little bit about how in the in cell community there's like this particular hatred for sex workers or women who work in sort of sex work adjacent field like strip clubs and massage parlors, because they are seen as like profiting from this thing that men supposedly are supposed to get for free. So they're kind of upsetting the natural order of things by saying that, you know, like, hey, this is a service that I can provide the way that a hairstylist might provide a service, and that you know, it's upsetting things even more because now men have to either earn that or they have to pay for it, and that, according to the in cell ideology, goes against sort of the natural order of things.
Speaker 1: So it's entitlement essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to use that word. Yes, it is very much about male entitlement. I would say the entire in cell ideology is based upon the idea of mail entitlement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean this is sort of weird. But when you were talking about that of hatred towards sex workers and all of that, I was thinking to Jack the Ripper, I mean, that is essentially what the notes, if we believe everything is the claim is, is this hatred for sex workers and so this community I'm sure has gone back very very far. Okay, how does the trial go along? Does he take the stand, does he stay quiet? What happens?
Speaker 2: I didn't really start following this case as a magazine feature until we were almost right at the sentencing part, so I didn't go to the early preliminary hearings. I think it's possible he might have testified at those, but very very minimally. You know, he's a quiet kind of guy. I think he's really overwhelmed by the formality of the court proceedings, so he just kind of, you know, sat in the witness box and kept to himself. Really, the defense's argument was just that he was a confused kit who didn't have any guidance, and he was left alone in the basement, and so the only source of support and guidance that he had was the Internet, and you know, there's this like predatory in cell community that was just waiting there, waiting to pounce on him and kind of convert him into their ideology. That it was almost like a perfect storm kind of thing. So really their argument was that he did not have the sophistication and maturity to commit this act the way that you know, like an organized terrorist group would have. There was also some evidence brought forward that he'd been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and possibly something along the autism spectrum. They didn't use that really as a defense in terms of his motivation for the murder with Search, but they did talk a little bit about how sometimes the rigid categorical thinking that we see sometimes in people on the autism spectrum makes them more susceptible to some of these conspiracy theorists, some of these agains really like rigid black or white ideologies that you know sometimes we find working on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so ultimately we have JC testifying and it sounds like she was just as brave and scrappy on the stand as she was when she was stabbing him or nicking him in the back. Is that right? She did really well on the stand testifying against him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought she did well on the stand. She's strong and feisty, and I thought she even introduced some like very misplaced moments of humor on the stand. But I think that just like speaks to her personality, like, you know, she's just she's kind of a spitfire.
Speaker 1: Did this shine a light at all on the SPA community, I mean, I'm hoping in a positive light, not a negative light. I hope this isn't a you know, you were asking for it because you are under this sort of cloud of sex work or whatever it is that could be frowned upon.
Speaker 2: Well it didn't, And for that I was actually pretty surprised. I mean I was surprised to begin with that they were going to be pursuing a charge like this for a crime that even did happen in a massage parlor, just because I feel like, you know, those crimes do tend to get swept under the rug a lot. But as I was watching the trial unfold, I was really impressed with how everybody handled it. I mean, I still think there's this idea that if you weren't or spend time in some of these underground communities, especially if you're a woman, that violence and chaos of this nature is at best expected and at worst deserved. People are like, oh, well, if you don't want to be subject to this, we'll be a good girl. And to be honest, I do kind of think if jac and Ashley had been working in like a dental clinic or something, maybe the public outcry about this would have been much larger. But to see how the prosecution laid out their argument and to see how Justice Oktar handled this with so much care and sensitivity, and then he ultimately said, nobody is deserving up its violence. Nothing you could have done would warrant violence like this. That was really meaningful to me as a journalist, as a woman, and as someone who has been part of the massage parlor community.
Speaker 1: Absolutely one thing we neglected to miss, if you think that this is important, is what st had etched on this sword.
Speaker 2: Of his, on the sword slash dagger that he brought with him to the spot. He had etched in an acronym thhot, which is sometimes used to refer to women that are like perceived to be promiscuous to sex trade workers a Sandsford that hoe over there, and it's typically used as a derogatory term. So clearly just another indication of his intents that this is premeditated and that he has some kind of a specific hatred for women who are you know, are capitalizing on their bodies and their sexuality in this way.
Speaker 1: What ultimately is he convicted of and is serving now?
Speaker 2: Okay, so he pled guilty to murder and attempted murder. The terrorism conviction also stuck. So his senace is life in prison, but he will be eligible for parole in ten years. I mean, it doesn't mean he'll get it, but like that is on the table potentially.
Speaker 1: And why was that not taken off if he had all three of those charges go through, Why is he not just serving life with no possibility of parole?
Speaker 2: Do you know? I don't know the answer to that. My guess is that it might have something to do with his age. I don't his age. I really don't know, Like you know, the judge had some pretty strong words to impart about him. He said something like this person will need the entire mt of the correctional facility to rehabilitate, so you know, lots of I don't know, programming that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: In Canadian prisons. Will there be an effort to rehabilitate him, you know, is there is there, especially if he's going to be up for parole. Is there going to be mental health help or whatever it is that he needs?
Speaker 2: Do you think those things are generally available? But I think what it hinges on is that the inmates need to consent to that, and so far, you know, certain has seemed pretty reluctant to engage in any of those things. Another unusual detail about this case was that his defense lawyers were trying to get him a lighter sentence under the Youth Criminal Justice Act because he was technically youth when this happened. And the reason for that was because he could then complete sort of this intense rehabilitation program in a provincial facility. But that would have required him to be in a shared cell in a provincial facility. That's just how they're configured, and he didn't want to do that. He actually cried on the here's the jail was not in story. He cried on the stand because he was scared of going to jail. He was scared of being in that environment. He thought he'd be targeted. So anyway, he's clearly very nervous about his options there. So he refused to consent to that rehabilitation program that his defense lawyers were trying to get him because he didn't want to go into a provincial facility and share a self. He wanted to stay in federal custody, in which he would have gotten his own cell. So, you know, it doesn't sound like he's too interested in any kind of programming. He's young. I guess time will tell, but that was kind of where we left it back at the sentencing.
Speaker 1: Have you gotten a sense for what the reaction has been within the in cell community about this crime, because I know it was high profile internationally.
Speaker 2: I haven't, to be honest, I really like stayed off the in cell forums. I mean, I certainly could have used that approach to investigate this piece, but I didn't really want to go down that rabbit hole. I feel like I've already read enough about the in cell community. I didn't actually want to go into the forums or hear anything specific about how this case was affecting them so I really don't know. I don't know if it ended up being a high profile case within that community or not.
Speaker 1: Do you get the sense that the in cell community is growing.
Speaker 2: It's hard to say whether it's growing or whether because it just has a name now it's easier to point to people, point to institutions and be like, oh, that persons an in cell. It's hard to say. I mean, it is possible because you know, societal norms are changing and there are some people that are very resistant to that, and it is possible that it's encouraging more people to, you know, push back against some of those things.
Speaker 1: What do you think you learned from doing this story. I know that you do a lot of magazine pieces. I know that you are encountering lots of stories about good things and bad things. What did you take away from this?
Speaker 2: I have a little bit mixed feelings about this, to be honest. I was really heartened to see how they treated this case. You know that this is sort of ground zero for testing how our terrorism laws work on these kinds of in cell related crimes. And the fact that this all started in a massage parlor and instead of sweeping that crime under the rug, they wanted to pull it front and center. Who knows if cases like this will you know, work the same way going forward, but at least now there's a precedent for it. Right now, there's case laws, so anyone who wants to make a similar argument can say, Look, this has already been done. It's already been established that this is terrorism, and we need to treat it as such. So that's a big deal to me. But I mean generally, I will say I feel like the case got a little bit, at least in sort of the media, a little bit less of a profile than I would have liked to see. I talked to a lot of lawyers, some who were involved in the case and some who weren't, and many of them, you know, they would express some surprise that the terrorism charges were being put forward in this case. And I wasn't sure what to make of that. And there was a part of me whether this is you know, because of my personal tie to the story, or whether this is accurate, I don't know, but there was a part of me that wondered, again, if it was just like that attitude, like this kind of stuff just happens in these circles, and it's not worthy of the kind of notoriety, the kind of prosecution that you would get if you were just a random person, a random innocent person going about your day to day life. I always say that I feel like this whole cases just about answering this question, which is like who gets to be considered a victim of terror?
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked and American Sherlock, and Don't Forget. There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast, Tenfold More Wicked right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't already. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis Amrosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis Heath is our composer, artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgariff and Danielle Kramer. Listen to Wicked Words on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcas Casts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold more Wicked and on Facebook at Wicked words pod