Speaker 1: Look may, oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture? Yes, goodness lost cult d lost calling we're back.
Speaker 2: Well, what an auspicious beginning to the year.
Speaker 1: No, what do you mean? Well, why were you calling him as? Because we get to beat together, we get to be together. We have a great bounty.
Speaker 2: We have a great bounty, friendship, A treasure of beauty in front of the.
Speaker 1: Treasure of beauty? Is that the definition of bounty? A treasure of Oh no, no, a great fortune, a great fortune of beauty.
Speaker 2: Forget when I forget how you used this sequence of words, But it's so Matt Rogers. It's you have a great fortune.
Speaker 1: Great fortune of beauty. Yes, well you do. Well, I'm actually sitting here with you right now, and are you in a full beat right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I actually took the beat off. You took the beat off. Yeah, yeah, because you did a little photo shoot for SNL.
Speaker 2: I did I for an SNL related thing for something.
Speaker 1: So they get you in a full bead for the photo shoot. Tell how photo shoots were?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, they put uniform bead and then they say.
Speaker 1: Okay, your hair looks okay, and these are the clothes and they say Hey, throw that neck for me, Throw that neck for me. You you in the phrase thrown neck, talk about that. We have to give credit word to do delta work. One time one on a tear on her podcast about throwing neck, like you want me to throw neck, and I actually didn't know what it was, And now throw neck has entered my lexicon.
Speaker 2: Throw neck is so much better than I hated. Give head, No, give heads off. Give head is so bad.
Speaker 1: You we're talking about euphemisms for oral sex aka blowjob.
Speaker 2: We can also bring back blowjob, blowjob. You gave him a blow job.
Speaker 1: A blowjob, a blow job, like I don't know he.
Speaker 2: Gives good blowjobs. I want people to say that about me.
Speaker 1: No blowjob is so nineties, actually really closer. Number eight blowjob is so nice? And what give head is so so odds and throw neck is so twenty twenties.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm an auspicious beginning of the year. Obviously there was a coping kind of cheekiness to it because of things being so devastating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just saying to Bo right before we got on, I'm actually super anxious to do the podcast today and anytime there's something going on like the horrible fires that are happening right now in Los Angeles. And by the way, it's still ongoing. I mean we're recording this on Monday, January thirteenth. This will come out on Wednesday, and you know, the next couple of days are going to be very trying for the city and for the area. And I think we are still going to give lost coach. I mean, our theme for this year, actually we decided is more random bullshit. Yeah, so look forward to that. But I feel like I do just want to speak to everyone that because I know for a fact that we have people that listen to this and a great listener based in Los Angeles, and so many people there that are being affected, that are losing everything, and it just goes so beyond just the loss of property. I mean the mental health right now. It's so demoralizing. It is so it's hard to wrap your head around the amount of devastation and just how much work needs to be done. And all I really want to say is that we are sending all of our love and strength to everyone that's affected, everyone that will be affected. For people checking in on me, I'm fine, Like I'm in New York and have been, I had some work stuff to do at the top of the year. I've obviously ended up remaining here just to kind of stay out of the way, but truly heartbreaking, and just know that we will continue to provide a space for you to hopefully laugh and you know, feel like there's someone beside you, because.
Speaker 2: It is a very unique kind of grief to have so many emotional attachments kind of fall away to ash.
Speaker 1: Literally.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's some things something very obviously you neique about every kind of disastrous thing, but with fire, it is like uncontrollable, unpredictable fast, and it all happens in a way that defies any kind of processing, and things will just take a very long time on every level. Things will take a very long time to feel tolerable in any way. And that is what's probably the saddest collective thing that people outside of Los Angeles must be feeling. But then it certainly pales in comparison to what people who are currently there and who will be dealing with this for the next several years are feeling in this moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's hard, right because sometimes it's just you're sitting on your computer or in front of your TV or on your phone, and you see things start to fill up that space, and it's like, you know, the politicization and the finger pointing and stuff is so unhelpful and it's hard. I will never forget some people whose instinct was to just immediately politicize this and immediately make it about other things. When people's homes are burning, when people are losing family, losing pets. Relationships get so challenged during things like this, you know what I mean, it's just the last thing on anyone's mind should be like dunking on this city, which by the way, obviously I get it, like La gets dunked on, you know what I mean. It all feels very fucking stupid.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that in this moment.
Speaker 1: Because for some people they just can't separate their actual need for attention and for people to rally around whatever thought they have. I mean, it's like it's a fucking dark day for social media. And when I log on and I see that people have all the fucking answers, when it's like you clearly don't camped, I think it's it's officially curtains. Oh god. For so yeah, TikTok band take it at this point, Zuck being Zuck, like, it's just it's over.
Speaker 2: There's no which is not to say that like TikTok going away potentially is like a celebratory thing.
Speaker 1: It's just like if you had.
Speaker 2: Any doubt that And now I'm like sounding a little tinfoily, but it's like, if you had any depth, is all part of some like this isn't some kind of like propaganda machine. Essentially, it's like, why are all of these fucking tech bros like right wingers now anyway? We can't get into that.
Speaker 1: No, it's not, there's so much. There's time for this stuff later. All I want to say right now actually but literally to the trap. But when I literally said, we won't do more than seven minutes on this because we're what we're gonna do is we're gonna bring you lost coach. We have a lot to say over the about what's gone on over the past like a month since we've seen you guys. We hope you guys enjoyed the re releases. I think we actually carried down in terms of what we chose. We torre a tour, carried and more. But the last thing I want to say, the first thing I'm going to do when I get back to the city, which I don't know when that will be hopefully end of the week. We'll see, is I'm going to my apartment, I'm going to my closet. I'm Every single thing that I don't need is getting donated. I encourage you to do the same. These resources, luckily, because of social media, are not difficult to find in terms of where you can donate and if you are in the position to give. I said it about the hurricanes in Florida, I'm saying it now, please do that because people really need help. They really need help bad, and my heart goes out to everybody.
Speaker 2: If anything can be taken away from this, it's that the thing that has been mobilized the quickest and the most incredibly is interpersonal mutual aid thing. It's devastating that it's not anything more part of a larger system. It's just it is literally like bottom up and it still has yet to be a top down thing. And as we go into like a new sort of era, as it were like that is that will not be the thing that anyone can rely on.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's I guess you know what, you know what y'all, let's fucking see you. We fucked around. I guess we're gonna find out depending on what goes down in terms of our federal government, but I guess we'll just continue to watch.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy that the response is what it is because it's a bluestate.
Speaker 1: It's really fucking it's crazy. I mean, let's not even, let's literally not even. Let's just hope to God that resources are given to people that need it, regardless of where they live or who they are or X y Z reason. The last thing I want to say about it is shout out doesn't even do it justice to all of the firefighters that are giving everything to put this out. I mean, like truly watching these the aircrafts go up and the water get dumped, and like just seeing how percis sie all of it is, and watching these people scale mountains to get some places, putting themselves in harm's way. Truly all respect and heroic kudos to them. Like it's just amazing what you see people are willing to do to help others, and that is something that let's just highlight that. At the end of this and as it all unfolds so far, my place is okay, but I have a fucking one bedroom apartment. You know, I'm all right, I'm just I'm my heart is broken for people that are losing stuff. Yeah. Anyway, we watched The Substance last night. We're the last. Anyway, it's Oscar season. We're the last gay men to see this movie. Watched it together. It actually was You guys aren't going to believe this. This is my second time seeing the movie.
Speaker 2: Do we have a burgeoning horror enthusiast in our midst we?
Speaker 1: I think we do.
Speaker 2: I always thought that Matt Rogers would be a horror buff like. I think you've grown up a lot since you I self identified this way. Yeah, and I don't. I think you can let that go. I think you can let Ooh I'm sweamish about horror. I think you've leveled the fuck up and you if you can sit through The Substance twice in one.
Speaker 1: Week, yeah, I think you're fine. I knew what. Here's the thing. It's such a rich genre genre. It's such a shame that you're missing out. No, can I tell you something. It's one of the genres that I respect the most, horror and sci fi. Yes, I actually think because you can genuinely and let's talk. We'll talk about this movie in connection to this idea. But you can, more than anything else, so brilliantly make points about our culture when you are a sci fi or horror filmmaker or and both. This is obviously both. I knew I was gonna have to see it because I'm just rooting so hard for Demi and I'm more to say about her in a second. But I was like, you know what, I'm gonna nut up and I'm gonna fucking watch this. You can get a nut up for Demi. I have to nott up for Demi and Margaret. And that's why sheer culture number thirty. You have to nut up for me and Margaret. And let's include Margaret in the conversation because if I wake up on Oscar nomination morning, now I don't see and I don't see whoever is reading those nominations say the name Margaret quality. There will be more destruction. Oh and that's like, that's a little light humor there. That's because I think we could all use a little light humor. Facetious queen, thank you, this is is. I think it's our favorite favorite the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, period, notwithstanding projects that we've been involved in.
Speaker 1: I think Wicked has to occupy its own space, of course, and let me go say it, it is occupying its own space for me. I've seen Wicked. I think I actually don't remember if it's four or five times, but it's obviously one of my favorite films. Like, and congratulations to you on your sagnam, thank you. I feel like every time there's a nomination's announcement, my sister always gets the flowers because you are everything I ever were all at once. No, I'm not just saying that I am.
Speaker 2: I'm very grateful to be included among this superlative. Really, there's a sort of self deprecating part of me that says, I like, somehow canned my way into that, into that group.
Speaker 1: But also, I'm very proud of you were the ensemble, I was elevated the film.
Speaker 2: I'm proud of the work that everybody did, especially Jonathan Bailey getting the nomination for supporting. Yeah, that was major, such a nice what's the word tasteful choice? You used a word when we were talking about this that we were like when SAG nominations came out and then we were talk about Jonathan was like, oh, we're so happy for Jonathan.
Speaker 1: You said, oh, are you looking through text? Yeah, I'm looking through. What did I say about Johnny billy nomination? We believe that I said something. We gotta we got to cut around this one second. No, this is real life.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, this we we were texting up we dorm.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing about us. We are texting up a storm CoA Number eight team. Here's the thing about us. We are texting up a storm that.
Speaker 2: This is what you said about Jonathan Bailly's nomination inspired nomination.
Speaker 1: I think it is an inspired because he is. Because the thing about that role is it's like, first of all, Jonathan Billy is like Dick Van Dyke, you know what I mean, Like, oh my god, what a great comparison. That's like the highest compliment I could give true entertainer, like that physicality is delightful. Yeah, just tripping in charisma, man.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that just in terms of the way he moves and dances, not his physique. It's not his physique, his physicality.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean listen, first of all, if we're gonna have fierro, that's exactly what it should be like a triumph in both casting and tailoring. Oh that's what I would say about everything that doesn't have to do with Jonathan Bailly, right, But in terms of what does have to do with him, now that's the definitive fierro. I mean, so easy to fall in love with immediately you get why everyone on screen is doing that, you know, treating him that way, just like you know in a movie like that where they clearly loved it so much, got the ensemble. No, I'm Cynthia and Arianna like, I love it. And it's a true supporting nomination, which is something that I ring the bell on a lot, which is the category fraud of it all of course.
Speaker 2: And that is Look, it's an acting award granted by actors that he's performing in the truest sense.
Speaker 1: I think I'm not surprised at all why people saw his name and were like checking that box, yeah, and you think that's what you think?
Speaker 2: They saw mine for ensemble and said yes, I.
Speaker 1: Think that Here's what happened when I got to ensemble. I think they first of all wicked w all the way at the end, and I think you Yang were all the way at the end of that. So I think you were the last thing I was. You were the closer of the entire booklet. And I've been a SAG voting committee member, not this year, but I have been in the past. I know how it works. And all I know is I think they closed their books very pleased with themselves, knowing that they had voted to nominate the one, the only cistern I have called Bowen. I'm the closer. I'm Kira. You can work so here a Sedgwick in this bitch. But okay, so it wasn't all great for me though, because, like I just said, Margaret Qualley was not on the list for SAG. And let me tell you something, the Academy members, if you're any of your listening to this, you can actually vote till Friday. Now. I'm not waking up and not hearing Margaret Qualley's name. What she does in this movie, both of them epic. Every edge of her was covered except for one eye. Let's fucking talk about this film. So the substance. If you don't know, now you know it's about Demi Moour. She plays an aging actress name Elizabeth Sparkle. Let's just pause, just let that live. Elizabeth Sparkle. First of all, the very first thing you see is her Hollywood star, Elizabeth Sparkle, and you're like, her name is Elizabeth Sparkle. And then the tone of the movie begins, and it's just so brilliant, like what's how do you how would you say? What would you say? The tone is? The tone is God. The tone is like B movie. It's like B movie noir, B movie noir, but like also like very aware of the fact that it's a body horror movie and it's like crunchy and juicy and very You mentioned the very first frame.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: You were like, I already love this because it's just the hard materials of the Hollywood star that they're making. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And the movie is molding.
Speaker 2: And shaping and so yeah.
Speaker 1: It's about being defined by what physically makes you up and allowing that to go too far. And the movie never loses sight of that. Coral Le farghi because some people are fully pronouncing it far gee.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting. So then maybe I'm wrong because I'm looking at it, and I sure you are. You are putting in the time to watch these interviews and to hear the utterances of the names.
Speaker 1: We might as well just call Coralie the legend.
Speaker 2: Hold on, we can't move forward with that knowing the pro I'm looking.
Speaker 1: At her as someone who clearly is not I'm not exactly whipping out a French accent, but I'm looking at the way it's far. It looks like farge to Meia, coral fargite.
Speaker 2: Come on, someone said for I'm not saying come on you, I'm saying, come on at whoever is broadcasting fargeat.
Speaker 1: I mean lots of failures in broadcasting far geet, not not the slur Fargeit sounds like a slur.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you know, you know what to speak of. Another Best Actress potential nominee, Mikey Madison really put her pussy into faggot to saying the word faggot.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love. I don't know if we've gotten into Honora, because I don't think you had seen annoy when I had seen a nore.
Speaker 2: You've now seen a Noora. I have now seen a Nooy, and I of course I love.
Speaker 1: Mikey Madison and no Noora like can I say doctor Best Actress? Wild wild, Cynthia, Come on, Cynthia, but so I hope Cynthia is locked. I think she is. Well, there's some people online that are that are kind of giving the fear of what happened to Margot Robbie could happen to Cynthia, because like, but I also think it's a totally different thing now. I would be so bummed out of Cynthia. Missus comn Cynthia.
Speaker 2: Fucking you're with her every step of the way. Yeah, in that movie, all the way up until that that last fucking battle cry. It's like, come on, another actor would.
Speaker 1: Have you couldn't. It wouldn't have been the same.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't have been the same. Cynthia gave us such a sublime version of of just that story up until that point.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, come please, I mean it's so great. And I listened to The Wizard and I a bunch of by the way, I covered The Wizard and I on my Christmas show, and each and every time it was the best moment of my life. Oh, like literally, I can't believe that song. And she's done like a yet another like defining performance of that song. Like you can watch all the alphabets sing the Wizard and I. Cynthia not only put her own spin on it, but also did the song so much justice. And that's like the point in the movie where you're like, it's confirmed at that point that this is a great real Yes. After that, I just love it. Not to speak too much more about that, but like, I hope she gets her nomination. I think my actress five is to me Mikey Madison, Cynthia Arrivo, Carlo Sofia Gascon and Nicole and baby Girl and Nicole's getting lost. And this is not to say I also didn't love I loved Angelina, Jolie and Maria.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then you've seen her truths.
Speaker 1: I've seen her truths. Marianne John Baptiste is incredible in it. I just the movies. It's a difficult movie and it's a tough character, but she's brilliant. And I've seen the Last show Girl, and I think if Pam Anderson gets a nomination, you're not gonna see me tisking, like I root for her and she's fabulous in the movie. I've seen a lot. You are.
Speaker 2: I think this is it. This is a fun year to be a completest completionist. However you want to say, yeah, yeah, great, year.
Speaker 1: And I haven't even mentioned Fernando Torres, who the legendary Brazilian actress in the movie I'm Still here, who's won the Globe and that kind of like got shot around, shook it up. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because people were looking at Nicole Kidman or Angelina Jolita win that and neither of them did. We should we get back on track with the subsistence, I mean, just funny. It wields camp.
Speaker 2: People throw around this word, but it wields camp in the most perfect way, which is it's poor taste and good taste. That's exactly what that movie is the entire way through.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think the dialogue yes, like, oh my god, this is a reverie. This is dream like in everywhere and in such a calibrated way, like even God, even with the Dennis Quaid stuff, it's like, oh, everyone understands this. This is good direction, everyone being aligned with the vision and also that being true when there is so much technical stuff going on. Yes, I implore you, if you've seen this movie, the next thing you should do your homework is to watch It's a thirty minute BTS features on YouTube about the making of the movie. It is true practical filmmaking, practical magic, practical magic. Let that sink in bars. But like you watch the movie and you're like, well, surely that part was CGI, and it wasn't. And so incredibly creative she was in terms of what she executed. She's so in control of all her departments. And to speak to again, the.
Speaker 2: Acting, Oh I'm thinking about Margaret.
Speaker 1: Margaret is a legend. You're a hit. No, no, she's so good and she also knows, like I don't even know how to say this, but she's exactly pitch perfect on playing both realities.
Speaker 2: Realities of someone who because the thing about these characters of Sue and Elizabeth is they only ever really talk to each other. No, actually they never talk to each other, and there's moments of like interaction, but like both to me and Margaret are having to be in dialogue with each other when they're solo, which you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, well they are one person. So that actually that was the part where I was like watching the walk and I'm like, okay, So, so if when you watch the movie, and by the way, if you're totally in the dark about what this movie is, it's about Elizabeth Sparkle, who's an actress who turns fifty, and she has like a Jane fond of workout class, Like that's like her gig. Now you get the sense that this is what she's had to do because the Hollywood industry has done what it's done to women. And she's now too old. So she's finishing one of her classes and it's her birthday and she gets the word without saying too much, that because she's old, they're going to fire her, and she replaced her with someone younger. So on the way home, she gets into a car accident. She goes to the hospital and this like young nurse says to her, like he passes on this thing called the substance. And the substance is something that you can take to create, for lack of a better word, a younger, better version of yourself.
Speaker 2: And there are stricts parameters in which you can alternate between your current self and this younger self.
Speaker 1: With the caveat being remember you are one being like while new matter is created, and then you can occupy that new, younger, more beautiful matter. Yeah, you have to always remember that you are one being in one consciousness. So it's a really interesting exploration of what happens when you hate yourself so much that you actually start It's just she loses grip on what's on the rules because she so enjoys being the Margaret quality version of herself, and it does there there is like this weird binary created between them, but they keep being reminded they are one person. So it's actually this weird like also kind of an examination of like mental illness and true dysmorphia. Yeah, the movie's doing a lot. Well, the movie's doing a lot.
Speaker 2: And then like anytime she faces a consequence, it is so good at leaving you in the audience a little bit unsure, I think in a purely intentional way, not in like a plot holy way. It's like you don't know whether it's a scientific consequence or if it's something that is like nefariously being carried out by like whoever is behind that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. It doesn't have to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think everyone's seen him except us really.
Speaker 1: But honestly though, like I never know, because well you can I guess stream it now on movie. And I had no idea that Bowen was a movie lover.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt finds out that I subscribed to a movie, and then he goes, that's a list.
Speaker 1: I go, I believe it's a list.
Speaker 2: To be a movie you can be a movie subscriber and feel a list.
Speaker 1: I guess I bought. I bought the film on Apple iTunes.
Speaker 2: That seems a list to me as well. You think it's a list. I think everyone readers publicist Katie's Finalists. I need to see Matt Rogers in the Criterion closet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I just watched Pam Anderson's which is really so good. She does like talking smart.
Speaker 2: She's so smart. She knows so much about film. Would you pick up like umbrellas of Sherbourg or whatever?
Speaker 1: She's picked out the film Wanda, which is like a big I've now seen the Last show Girl, which I'll talk about in a second. I really want you to see it too. I took my ass down to the Angelica and which side of the theater are you on? Right? Or laugh left?
Speaker 2: Actually, that's my big I don't think so many things. I love Angelica obviously, institution.
Speaker 1: I do whatever I can to support it.
Speaker 2: It's tough for me, it's tough for a lot of us to be in a theater that has a middle aisle. I just I just got to say center aisle is tough.
Speaker 1: It is tough, you know, in terms of the layout. I was not loving. It's okay, and it's okay.
Speaker 2: This is not a knock on Angelicate, just to knock on that seating arrangement in theaters.
Speaker 1: The world's over. They could never make me hate Angelic. They can never make me hand they try, because the seats do need a little bit of a sprucing, and that bathroom can use a little bit of a spruce. I daren't even go it. Oh but I just shipped myself front of the aisle girl space.
Speaker 3: No one's is it?
Speaker 1: But I saw so I saw the last show Girl, And because I'm excited for Pam, I'm a Pam super fan. Oh yeah, I saw Chicago Opening Night with Pam.
Speaker 2: You saw Chicago Opening Night with Pam and you we are both huge fans of the opening scene of Scary Movie three.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, all of Pam's work.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, cow says moo dudde dude.
Speaker 1: Dude, I mean I'm a Pam Pam and party. Sorry, let's keep going. Not mentioning her, not mentioning that when I just mentioned her, what we need is her take on the Fires and.
Speaker 2: Substance or Last show Girl, So Substance still, I mean, like, I it's our favorite movie.
Speaker 1: I knew I liked Margaret Kualley. You want to know why because have you seen her Kenzo ad? Yes, she dances for a commercial for Kenzo which she's everything. And you know she because I'm now a Bleach I'm a Bleacher super fan. She's in the music video for Tiny Moves by Bleachers, and it's just like just watching her be a stunning dancer and I have to imagine like all that dance background went into her performance here, just so funny, so smart, so committed, so and to me, this is what blows me away about the Substance and their performances in the Substance. Can you just imagine getting that script and reading it and being like, you know what, yeah, three months of this for sure, I get it. I see it, and I'm willing to commit to this. Despite the fact that that could have been a huge disaster. Well she's had. She says that she had the same feeling reading that scripture she did reading Ghosts, where she was like, this might not work. This probably won't work.
Speaker 2: It starts as one thing, it goes into it's like they pitched her ghost and it was like, could read goofy it's a it's a.
Speaker 1: Rom com thrill. It's a romantic thriller. Yeah, like super ghost stories to multi genre.
Speaker 2: In which the substances as well just the distillation of the tone of this movie is all in the billboard for the.
Speaker 1: Big New Year's Eve show. Oh God, Like ma I was.
Speaker 2: In tears just being like, this is so perfectly executed. Yeah, like this billboard of Margaret of Sue in this stupid fucking dress head askew the New Year's Eve Show tomorrow nine pm, which implies that they put that billboard up for one day the day before, on December thirtieth, and then the next day new billboard tonight to night.
Speaker 1: By the way, these billboards cost, like that location of the billboard that they're insinuating is easily easily And it's just so funny because you could choose to watch this movie and be like, wait, what it's getting screenplay honors, like this movie is goofy can because the tone is so perfect from the second it starts to the end and it's totally original. It's unlike anything.
Speaker 2: That's what I said out loud to you at one point during the movie where I was just like, I've never seen anything like this, and what a fucking statement that is to say, you know who, I'm not about me, understanding about like us in film No.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, you know, I spent like probably two and a half minutes of my Seth Myers and of you're talking about yes, Oh, by the way, it was the first thing I said. I was like, okay, so he was like golden globes thoughts. I was like, yeah, we gotta win.
Speaker 3: We gotta win.
Speaker 1: Demi Moore and not like period point blank.
Speaker 2: You were so great on Seth. By the way, my two act legend, by the way, can we just they.
Speaker 1: Did give me two? I felt really excited about that.
Speaker 2: You're getting many more acts, because I guess who's excited about your Oh, Seth Myers. Oh.
Speaker 1: I just saw him for the shoot and he was like, I don't think people know about that yet. Okay, then well, like we can blur that out. But there's something exciting coming.
Speaker 2: Very people are going to be very happy, and I'm excited about this is this is what the world needs now is love, sweet love.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what's actually driving me. Nut's just to go into some personal stuff. So I still have the blonde. I'm like, over the blonde. I want to be I want to I want to be brunette again. Buzz. But I have to. I have to keep my hair growing out for something, for something. And so now I'm like, do I go somewhere in New York and have them dye my hair brown? No? Truly not.
Speaker 2: Uh, I just wait till until you finish the thing because I need to.
Speaker 1: Have brown hair and long hair in the thing. I yeah, get a colored hair, get a color that could be interesting, can.
Speaker 2: Be so interesting, or you or you get it shorn off now and then have a grow out.
Speaker 1: Remember in college when I would do.
Speaker 2: Black I remember the black air.
Speaker 1: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: I gotta be honest with my sister and say I was not a huge fan, but it was it was right for the time because you were once again deeply committed to a role.
Speaker 1: Okay, I won't dye my hair black. I think it's just because you have black hair and jealous you don't want me to take your.
Speaker 2: Crowd doesn't go with your skin tone.
Speaker 1: You are a nasty You're a nasty, a lister and rude. You are a nasty rude and you have your movie subscription and you think you're all bad a movie.
Speaker 2: You need to get on Criterion channel.
Speaker 1: I feel like i'd get in the Yeah, I do need to get on Criterion channel. If I went in the closet, I'd be adrift. You would not I have no film.
Speaker 2: Perfect Blue, Yeah, perfect the film.
Speaker 1: It's perfect Blue. Criteria. It is not Criterion. Well that's what.
Speaker 2: They don't have any Satoshi Cone in Criterion, which is actually kind of crazy. They should they Well, Criterion, we know you're listening. We know you're listening.
Speaker 1: We love you. We're fans. By the way.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I had a little Criterion kick of the holidays and I watched him take Out by Sean Baker. Ooh, and it's so crazy how there is this consistency in his vocabulary as of filming, and the way he is so solid and confident in a realism on film, like it's the same thing, it's the same preserved shit and anora where you're like, there's just something about the dialogue and the way it's written in the direction that he finds it in the edit, probably because he's an editor. Yeah, Like just Takeout is so if you can believe it's similar to Honora. It's obviously like he has, you know, working class people and all of his films, but it's like the thing about Takeout is like it's this everyday operational thing at a place that you that is kind of invisible to society, right, like a strip club or a Chinese restaurant. But it's like the goings on, the day to day goings on in those places is a huge, a hugely important thing that defines character and that the characters, the protagonists in these films are driven by like a survival instinct, you know. Like I'm sorry, I'm being so I'm talking about it, but it's the same. It's at the bookends of Sean Baker. It's like from Takeout to a normm like God, just a filmmaker who is who understands what he's there to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's you call it the working class. I would say it's His films are about the barely work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all those films are about the barely surviving for us. And I think that with Anora I was watching an interview with Mikey actually was the it was the Hollywood Reporter Actress round Table, which was great this year, and she was saying, because the whole table kind of turned to her at one point, she's very shy, very and it's it's interesting to see her performance in a Nora and then see her in real life. Like she's just a talent and I'm a big, big fan of hers. But she was saying that it's a lot of improv like like that he'll just run the camera, like for example in that first sequence when he just ran the camera right, and she just kind of had to create ways in which her character would try to pick guys up. And you know, if you've not seen Anora, I don't know what we're talking about. It's Shahn Baker's film starring Mikey Madison Getting a ton of Oscar butus. Some people may even call it a front runner in many categories, where she plays a stripper slash sex worker who gets involved with this like you know, very wealthy Russian oligarch's son and they have a whirlwind romance which is short lived and then there's a very harsh reality to the situation. But she she really like. I guess that's a thing with Sewn Baker's movies. It's incredibly collaborative the performers and him because he also gets he has casting credit on his movies, he has edit credits, that all this stuff in a way that I'd be interested to see how that makes casting directors feel. But like, this guy is totally in charge of what he's putting out there. And yeah, it's interesting. It's like two different movies totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're talking about like Anorras, Yes, Splititude totally. It has that quality of like, but it still works in like this traditional like three act structure. It's like, oh, like it all it all falls into the same, Yeah, like Mars or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like you have fun watching it, like all his movies, and then you leave heartbroken.
Speaker 2: Of course, did you see Red Rocket? I never got to see Red Rock. Oh I got Simon Rex and I shared a play one time.
Speaker 1: Really, it's all I love Simon X. I love him. He's so great. Three three Baby, and finally finally getting the Flowers.
Speaker 2: It deserves for being an important foundational text for comedy, for film, for so many things.
Speaker 1: Well you know, actually the last show Girl, which when you see it you'll know what I mean. The Last show Girl. By the way, it's to buy Gea Coppola, Francis Porcoppola's granddaughter. The Last show Girl, I was sang to Patrick Rogers, who I saw it with. The Last show Girl was like a Sean Baker movie entirely through, like a female gaze, and it was just an interesting thing to see in quick succession. But I don't even really know what my point is about that, but it's just it's scary. Three yes, one story in Pam Anderson and one yeah, and we're hopefully we'll see Anna Faris is. Oh my god. By the way Hart goes out to her, she she lost her home.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just think we are ready for the Anna Faris like a song.
Speaker 1: Oh I've been ready. I have been so ready that I don't think there's I think there's few people that are that big of a sweeten star to be totally on the nose. I like, watch Lost in Translation again on my way to Japan. Oh god, she's so great in it, so fucking good. Yeah, you watch Lost in Translation. I was like I have it on. I was like, I have it downloaded on MyPad. I was like, it's been a while. That is so funny, you know.
Speaker 2: My My interesting thing that I would love to ask Cephakopele about is you can tell that that entire movie, it's like it is a platonic thing and then it becomes a little bit romantic at the end. For anyone who wasn' seeing Lost in translation, I'm sorry I spoiled, but it's like I wonder if that was the thing that like Sophia kind of got like pressured into doing, or if that was a nartistic.
Speaker 1: Choice, improvise choice. They like the kiss? Do you think I haven't seen it anyway, It's.
Speaker 2: Very like it's not like a gross kiss, but it's just like it's a kiss and it's like romantic and maybe it isn't maybe it is a platonic kiss because those exist, but like anyway, I don't know. I just like, I just think that movie is so great when when it's just purely through the lens of like these are two lost people who find each other and their company is all they need and it doesn't have to be sexual or romantic or anything.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I remember that that was SCARLETTJ. Mahnsson's moment stepping into like an ala.
Speaker 1: Because she was I remember she got like two Golden Globe nominations, which, by the way, congrats to sebastianst who finally got his flowers, and thank god, because I'm proud of him and he's working hard and he's just what a guy. He's just our favorite and I was really really really happy for him that he got something because again, and what he said is true. He's like when his speech, he was like, we can't be afraid of this type of we can't be afraid to make art and talk about art because that's like a bad sign. We're in bad dire streets. And we start to be like, well, you can't say this, can't say that. I mean already you see the normalizing ms Underwood. Oh, like, it's just interesting. It's just interesting you think about it. I'm sarking a huge cigarette that's eight feet long. Do you have anything else say about the substance other than it is the best movie of all time?
Speaker 2: It really, it's one of my favorites. It really is one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: And it's so gross, you guys.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting, which is the whole point. But am I crazy, Like obviously, it's there's so many visual references to the shining.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't think you're crazy at all. In fact, I didn't pick up on them until you were pointing them out throughout the film. I mean, like the pattern on the carpet, the bat, like her coming out in that bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally looking like the old woman.
Speaker 1: Oh, the prosthetics in this first of all, hair and makeup, Oscar. Oh please, dude, there's no question, I think honestly. Sound, oh, the set, the sound please, this has to be to end the script and both of them like, it's crazy to me, and tell me if you feel the same. To watch that movie and be like, this is an Oscar contender is exciting, so insane.
Speaker 2: Because I was talking to Sath about this, it's like, I love that it's not an Oscar bait movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, that's the thing too. I love is that not one person involved picked that script up and said, you know, this is gonna get me an Oscar now. And again, Rubric, could anyone else have done it better? There's something very special about to me, in particular taking it on and let's just speak about her for one second. And I told you when the sequence started, which was her going back to the mirror. There's a sequence where she she in the middle of the substance process, has like second thoughts and she is preparing for a date with this guy that she meets, and she just keeps going back to the mirror because she's so insecure and hates herself so much. The specific rage and hatred with which she looks at herself in the mirror, and that the really quiet performance because she's not in dialogue with anyone, no, but she carries this whole thing like you don't emotionally miss a second of it.
Speaker 2: It's purely about the interiority of this hatred that you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah with her, Yeah, that you're just like And also even just the way like to me's very long dark hair, Like there's something like really specific and dark about every frame of the movie. And she's the perfect center for it because of her lived experience, yes, that she brings in her acting, but also just like it just feels like this was the role she was born to, Yeah, and the experiences that she's had like uniquely prepare her to take on this role. And then the casting of Margaret Quality too is like you'd fully believe that's her younger double, you believe that they occupy that same thing. And it's just great. It's just a great triumph all the way around, and the directing and the specificity of the shots.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's what I'm saying, Like all these trunning references. You could not have asked for a better modernization of Dorian Gray it is. It even ups the any of that with the final act of the film, and it's like, oh, well that is the most perfect choice to have the story go there and then just show it on film. Yeah, I love it. I love that movie.
Speaker 1: Thematically too, so interesting, Like the substance really speaks to like this new revival of Sunset Boulevard, which and then I seeing Last Showgirl it speaks to that, like just a.
Speaker 2: Lot of expl you you brought up baby Jane. It's like, oh, it's it's all of these things. Yeah, And also I think people might bock.
Speaker 1: At the fact that it was like and also there's like tons of reasons tu bac whenever, like the Golden Globes word. However, the categorization goes in terms of the awards stuff, like you know, are these actual supporting actors like, is this really a comedy, et cetera. This is an amazing comedy. It's a great It is a total satire on exactly where we're at in the culture right now in the way that and and that's another thing too, is it's like, I'm sure it helps to be a woman of a certain age to really understand this, but we all know what it's like to look at ourselves and hate like what we see or like Because that's another thing to me talks a lot about in the press that she does for the movie is it's like so much of what rang true to her was the violence we do to ourselves. It's less about the messaging from the media and stuff and more about how we accept it, believe and act on those things. And that is I think what I recognized is like, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is society is the extent, but it's not. It's you would be irresponsible to say that it's just that.
Speaker 1: No, it's like a red flag from society. But then like you have to take ownership over what you are doing and being like, Okay, this is good for me, this is bad for me. I can tell the difference, but sometimes you just fall too far. It's it's sad. I mean, even the last sequence of the movie is incredibly over the top. It's heartbreaking. I know, like there's just specifically one moment where there's like a little bit of dialogue from the character and it's sad. It's heartbreaking. And then the last image of the movie is deeply heartbreaking but also so funny and genius. It's so funny. Oh my god, we said, we said, Oscar Award, Academy Award speaking. Now, how are we gonna get Salt Lake City this season? In Emmy? It needs it needs something of Bell. Yeah, no Bell, Culture Award, the way that you can expect to see the house ris of Salt Lake City back at the Cultural Awards. This is this is part Feelings, two seasons in a row of tens.
Speaker 2: Tens, tens, tens tens.
Speaker 1: In television, the Brook actually was emotional in her reatch Did you watch her recap yet?
Speaker 2: I didn't know, But you know, we love Brook Ashley.
Speaker 1: First of all, Meredith marks for saying lies and spraying lies. You disgust me. I can't believe I had you in my home, my home, my home. Mary get her married. We haven't we it's been a several weeks, so we haven't been able to really impart. If you're if you're still not watching the House, I just all like saying, you're not doing life right.
Speaker 2: You're not doing life. The way I'm encouraging Matt to let go of this self identification is not being a horror fan.
Speaker 1: If you're not a.
Speaker 2: Bravo person, if you've identified as I'm not a Bravo person, you have permission to let that go. You are missing out on something truly special, can't you say?
Speaker 1: I would say bo? I would say, I think that again, like the way that they operate as a cast. Also, like put some respect on Brittany's name. Really is that crazy?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I mean I was sending a video because I just love the safe placement of all of her anger and bring you guys, this is ridiculous. He's a singer I've never taped in my life. I've in shocked.
Speaker 2: I mean, her must return, she must return, and she she has earned her keep. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, how bored were we last night watching Potomac? Oh? It is?
Speaker 2: It's started off strong and now it's just boring and can we say sad and tragic? We wish Karen Hugar the best. This something is not timing out correctly if she has allegedly been in rehab for weeks but also was seen in Kathy Hilton's holiday party and she's missing the reunion anyway, that we're getting into, brast we're getting in.
Speaker 1: We just wish Karen the best, and because clearly there's not everything is right there. And so I honestly, well, if you're a fan of the Housewives Universe, like and you're in it, you know that you probably saw the video of like her arrest after drunk driving, which was not the first time. And I just I don't really understand thinking you could plead not guilty based on what was became readily available to the public. But again, that just makes me feel like, clearly there's someone that really needs a lot of help, and if she's getting the help regardless of the situation.
Speaker 2: And then that is good and our commentary does not matter in that regard alway.
Speaker 1: Is this the script for challengers? Yeah? Gag Okay, so you're up to date on your w G A douce and you are paid mine, well girl, and we expect this this would be a fabulous to read. You want to read it you want to borrow you actually do Yeah, have you already read it or you're not gonna?
Speaker 2: I have not read it, but it's been sitting there too long, you know what?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like you take it by the way. Not enough challengers in the Oscar just course, Seth Myers, And I'm just I'm just kind of parroting what Seth Myers just said to me an hour. We love him very well, love him and he actually I love him. He will be winning another.
Speaker 2: He will be winning another culture award.
Speaker 1: He said it.
Speaker 2: He was saying, Josh o'cnnor, where's all the love for him?
Speaker 1: Now? He's just gay baiting, he's crebating. How dare he? And I I'm retracting everything queer, Seth Myers, how dare you do this? You can't be all these things? And then be like look Bowen Yang in the eye and say, can't believe Josh O'Connor is not getting love? Like, how dare you? You're trying? And you don't think we thing on me? And you oh please, when I go to that show, I'm thinking he's the best. He is the best and effortless. And can I say when you go on that show, you get like a special card for you.
Speaker 2: Even penmanship.
Speaker 1: That's exactly why I brought it up. The man's penmanship is a late night host penmanship.
Speaker 2: A masculine yet classic, stylish, stylish thriller thrill.
Speaker 1: His penmanship is a stylish thriller.
Speaker 2: Stylish that's actually really culture number eighty eight set.
Speaker 1: Penmanship is a stylish thriller.
Speaker 2: You know that man has letters that are being kept in a book.
Speaker 1: I hope they're published one I hope they publish letters to Alexis God. You know, I just hope children. I hope that his letters are published. And what more, what more chic thing could you say about someone than that one day, you hope their letters are published. He was wearing a suit, I'm sure, and the entire room was like, my god, we're so not used to him being in a suit anymore, but god, he man. Man has never looked better in a suit. No, it's actually a shame for the world that he doesn't wear the suit every day. But you know what, though, he also can rock a crew neck sweater. It's not fair. I'm saying it's not fair for us, as crew next sweater wearers. We can't compete, But it's also not fair for us as an audience because we don't see him. We want to toggle back and forth. When he's wearing the suit, we want to see him in the sweater, when he's wearing this sweater, we want to see him in this suit. And it all comes down to the truth, which is we just want to see Seth Myers, period, bars bars. So was it just you and him today doing a photo show? No, it was many members.
Speaker 2: Of me, the great Seth Myers, the Great Kate McKinnon, the Great Leslie Jones, the Great Keenan Thompson, and the great Molly Shannon.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's funny, fun, good fun group. Nice collection. Yeah, how's Molly? Molly's so oh? She was asking about you, Molly. I mean we were comparing notes about Japan or Japan trips.
Speaker 1: She went with her family.
Speaker 2: She went a few years ago, but it's her favorite place. And my the thing I have trouble with is just remembering names in Japan especially, and she was just able to just rattle them off the top of her head. And yeah, that is a woman who knows so cute. She goes, you know, the hotels I booked fucking dot com like she was.
Speaker 1: Just booking dot com. I went on, there, Oh, how's how is he so good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Literally, she is so classic.
Speaker 3: How is your mother?
Speaker 1: That's good that you and your mother. It's great, it's really good, really good. Well, it's great that you guys are class. It really is. Oh really, isn't that funny? Isn't that funny? I said to him. I was like, I think that's so funny. That's so funny. Wait, I oh my god, that looks so good in a suit. I'm gonna text her. Not a single word you telling us about your Japan trip. Jesus Christ. See, there were so many other things, and this is truly a comment on the speed of culture moving by us at such a pace. Please talk about your trip jap No, tell them everything you need to know because you were having such a fabulous time. I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: Was from the moment I got onto the Pokemon themed plane, Matt.
Speaker 1: Say, it bursts open.
Speaker 2: The seal on my. My whole life is led up to that trip.
Speaker 1: Not really the kind of person that's like, oh my god, let me take a picture of the little accouterments on the plane. But I was like, you were taking a photo of every knickknack. That flight looked so cute and gorgeous. It was a cute, gorgeous flight, some of the best Foodioi kawaii.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Super cool? Super cute? I mean super cute, and well, you know, you go, you go to Japan and I'm like, I get why Gwen did that? How could you not be obsessed with that? She was inspired.
Speaker 2: You walk through Harrazuku and you're like, I'm doing an album, but I'm doing an album about I'm doing a.
Speaker 1: Big pop record about this, Like that song is a plus? Oh my god, I just so.
Speaker 2: What were the highlights? The highlights? I mean, it's it's tough to cut it together.
Speaker 1: Sean Baker.
Speaker 3: I am not.
Speaker 1: I cannot edit this down, but it is. It was literally like the moment.
Speaker 2: I got there, I get a text from Eric Knumb, wonderful, wonderful artist person. He's just like, oh my god, you're in Tokyo, like Otsgo Okotsko, the legend form here. Otsogo and Ronnie Chang are here. We're doing karaoke tonight, come and meet us.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: We go to Shinjuku, Me and my friend Jake, who's there shout out to Jake. If you're in Williamsburg, if you need a nice short men's haircut. The guy's boat. He's busy, but kiju check out a salon. Hands down the best vibe in Williamsburg of any place. Did karaoke with them? A little eleven year old boy was that? Ronnie Cheg's eleven year old nephew was there. This boy who freaked out when he saw Eric Nam because he loves K pop. He loves Eric Nahm freaked out. We all sang there was a full back line. Monica. Shout out to Monica. Our friend Monica took us to a pro wrestling match, not a sumo match, a pro wrestling match in the Tokyo Dome, which is also where Taylor Arrow's tour. And the entire time I was thinking Taylor was just there there, I mean all of it, just going to just seeing the sights of the shopping, Oh Joshua at the Orally store. We got a beautiful experience there. I mean the food. It's like France, It's like they hold in highest regard their culture, like in terms of like the film and the television, like think about like just think about like Japanese film and like, like the caliber of that, the food, the hospitality, the fashion, it's all very French. It's like they're they're likes the French and that they like really care about this shit and making sure it's delightful.
Speaker 1: And oh, we have to go, we have to go.
Speaker 2: We're going for my birthday period and we're going, and you know what, And I was sad about that. I that I canceled my last minute Disney Sea trip because it just there just wasn't enough time and it was just stressful. It was like the busiest domestic travel time in Japan is New Year's Week because everyone has work off. But I was like, no, this is better because the.
Speaker 1: First time I go to Disney Cea in Disneyland and Universal Studios ASAKA will be with my sister. Let's block out like a lot joey time. Yeah. I was gonna say, in the beginning of remember or.
Speaker 2: End of October, I don't need to do Halloween in the States.
Speaker 1: Girl who does ooh, none of you do? None of you do? Think about it. When they keep saying Christmas gets longer, I said, yeah, I hope it eats Halloween right up that way. I can get started earlier, make more coin, make even more coin than I ever have. I'm coming for you coming September, the month of August. Slipt away like a bottle of wine because I'm drinking it. The prints of Christmas, Bitch.
Speaker 2: We haven't reflected. We have reflected on post prints of Christmas store, haven't we?
Speaker 1: Actually? Well, First, I want to say it was the best it ever was. And I know I said this at the end, and I was really looking forward at the end. It was kind of it wasn't even bittersweet to end it because I was like, we fucking nailed it. I'm so in love with my band and those boys, Henry, Ethan, Jordan and Derek, love them the best time. If I'm already booking for next year, here we go. Truly, I will figure out ways to make it even better next year. Wow, it's hard to top hard to topo like me in my late twenties. Yeah, I mean that's true. But anyway, like, okay, speaking of it wasn't hard to tap me at all in Miami, even after my accident. I haven't talked about this on the pod.
Speaker 2: You were throwing neck after the accident.
Speaker 1: Babe, So I finished the tour, I go home for a few days to Long Island to be with the folks. Yes, And then I go to Miami thinking, actually, like we've planned it enough where it can be like kind of a low key Miami trip. Get there. No one realized it was gay Circuit week. So I go that night to a party. I'm not gonna say where. I'm not gonna say what party because I don't want to cause any trouble. Oh oh, there were wet stairs. I absolutely bit itch on some stairs, landed on my tailbone. I know secondhand. You guys are probably win sing and in pain hearing me talk about this. Yeah, it was bad, Bruce tailbone. At the very least, it honestly may be broken. No, because it's actually been two weeks now. Oh yeah, Matt, two weeks now, almost to the day. Yeah almost, Michael, No, yesterday. It was two weeks when it happened, and it's still Actually I worked out for the very first time today at Berry's, just to see what I was capable of. Can't do abs or anything where you use like that part of your body as like a folkrum, because it's it's still very painful, And can I.
Speaker 2: Ask you did not see a professional, not yet, because that's what Michael Fisher was asking me this morning. He was like, but did Matt. Has Matt gone to see someone? I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So it is getting better. It is getting better, but the thing is with a tailbone thing. And first of all, I know, I love you readers and medical professionals that are going to reach out. I really am okay. It's just discomfort. Like there's nothing you can really do for a tailbone bruise or even break. You kind of just have to wait it out. And I'm okay. It's just uncomfortable to sit or lay down on your back, which is like kind of your favorite activity, really, my favorite stuff to do. After I've like completed the tour and New Year's I got back and I was just like, oh god. And so it's been a very uncomfortable couple of weeks. But I will say it did not stop me from getting it in.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. I'm so happy for you.
Speaker 1: I am too. When there's a will and there was a big way, and there was a big way. I I've been like another horny era. Great, are you maybe expanded like it's been presented oh, like opportunities have presented themselves in New York.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, And I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could take it or leave it. I could take it or I shouldn't. That's actually powerful. I know.
Speaker 2: I wish I was more enthusiastic about it.
Speaker 1: I'm like that about it. But it's the holidays, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, I feel like I can like I mean, this is such toxic thinking, but I'm like, give me another month to like get myself right, just in terms of like I'm still bouncing back from the holidays and this trip honestly where I'm like, let me actually not be a dog, you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 1: You were just doing a lot of scheduled stuff. I honestly feel like the second dating becomes like, you know, a bunch of activities or like things on the schedule, like let's pull it back. Who even knows where they're at? Totally, I don't know where I'm at. I thought I was last year. All throughout the year, I was like, oh, I really want a boyfriend again. I want a boyfriend again. And now I'm like, maybe you don't, like maybe that was just something you were telling yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you know I'm still in husband search, but.
Speaker 1: If he shows up, I would love that. But you can't just marry anybody. You can't think you can. But wait, I think I had a dream the other night that I got married. Really yeah, I had like a dream that I got full on marry or was it amazing or was it like whoa No? The whole time I was like, wait, what why did I do that? Yeah, to a woman?
Speaker 2: Maybe, Oh that's fun.
Speaker 1: Definitely recently, this is now coming to my mind. There was definitely a dream recently where I got married to a woman.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was like a whole thing of like, well, how are we going to make this work? You'll make it work, I guess.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else before we get into I mean literally there are other things? But traders? Oh? Loving the traders? I will say I did not. So we had heard a false spoiler.
Speaker 2: We heard a false spoiler, and I think it was falsely relayed by the person.
Speaker 1: Let's just say. Let's just say we had heard a false spoiler at the Culture Awards that and we won't say who relayed the message, but we had heard a false spoiler that Bob the Drag Queen was out first. It's definitely not true and that is certainly not true and not even out first of all. Okay, spoiler aler for the Traders. Bob the Drag Queen is one of the Traders, Yes, and I love it as a choice. Yes. I don't know Danielle from Big Brother too much. I know a lot about Carolyn of course, and obviously Rob Mariano Boston. Rob is a full reality television legend. I think the cast actually is better overall this year than last year. Oh sure, because it feels like they're playing the game and less like on a reality shit. Yeah, yeah, yes, you know.
Speaker 2: I think there is what a fun opportunity for a course correction in terms of like a collective like this cast is decided. Maybe they were given a note or something, but like really play the game this time and don't weren't necessarily worry about like the drama.
Speaker 1: Right of it. Yeah, and I think that that is to this season's benefit. Yeah, who are you rooting for? Rooting for Bob? We love Bob, so you're rooting for the Traders.
Speaker 2: I'm reading for the Traders because and I love Carolyn so much, and I think Carolyn is playing it right.
Speaker 1: Carolyn is doing You're right. Danielle and Bob, I mean they're both doing too much.
Speaker 2: They're doing too much, but which we still root for them. Who else, Chrischelle. We love seeing Rischelle on to win the show. Oh so that's what you're rooting for. You're you're rooting for the face pal, So.
Speaker 1: I'm rooting for her. Yeah. And of course Dolors Cotanna my number one, You're number.
Speaker 2: One, and I love Dolores here as well.
Speaker 1: Dolores.
Speaker 2: I just I just want to put out there that based on this them video that Matt and I did, it made it seem like I was an anti Dolores.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: No, I think you were just surprised.
Speaker 2: I was just surprised that your number one housewife was Dolores, And I said Dolores, and then maybe that made her think that or people think that I don't like her.
Speaker 1: I think you were surprised to hear me say that Dolores Cantania was my favorite housewife of all time, which I can understand because I don't think I'm like always spouting out about Dolores because and I think it's precisely why she's my number one. Is because she very on television. She reminds me of all my mom's friends.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so beautiful. But how what about this statement Meredith Marks because I think, especially after last week on Salt Lake, one of the best housewives.
Speaker 1: Of there's enough.
Speaker 2: There's no question she's had enough seasons under about now five where she's done consistently great work.
Speaker 1: Where I go, she is one of the altar. She's done iconic things in every season. Yep, she's done iconic things in every season. And again we say this with equal love for friend of the Pod Angie Katsanevas and Heather Gay and Whitney.
Speaker 2: Rose and I just I love these women. These I will miss these women so much. It's not over yet, but I'm counting it to. It's like, we've got finale this week, and then we've got, you know, three reunions.
Speaker 3: I heard.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing I heard. We have a phenomenal finale and a really really really Andy said stellar reunion. I love it.
Speaker 2: And they looked good. They looked great. I love the pink in the red. I do hope Miami comes back with the force. I need them, I need to have this. It's the sphere of empty. I need to had that empty filled up once they once Salt Lake leaves, Meredith Mark's absolutely is making the is just on the on the Mount rush More.
Speaker 1: Oh certainly mean Meredith is just like.
Speaker 2: From episode one or two of I'm Disengaging, Like the hits keep coming. I think next Ultimate Girl's Trip, we do need to have Meredith Meredith like Meredith there and also Lisa has earned it too, like Lisa. First of you know what I noticed about Lisa Barlow, the character game that she plays like is so strong.
Speaker 1: She every single time she gives you exactly what you if you were to logically sit down and be like, what's Lisa Barlow gonna do? She does it every single time, and it's always satisfying. It just feels so deceived. Literally, the first scene of this is her sitting down to text everyone, I'm really thinking about last night and how I was wronged, like not taking a kind of you over anything, not not that in that situation she particularly needed to, but like she goes, I know we're going to talk about it on the way to ATV, and then she explains she chose ATV because she googled luxury activities all that mattered to her was that it was a luxury activity, not that it made sense for them. I said, that's housewifery and at the same time to have a diet of trash. I mean, I mean, this is just it's it's a great couldn't write a better person. Yeah, unless her name was Elizabeth Sparkle, unless her name was Elizabeth Sparkle, unless I thought you werena say Eliza, her name was Elizabeth what's her face? From Anatomy of Elizabeth Finlabeth? She too. You couldn't write Peacock give it up for Peacock. Do you wonder what else I watched? This is not on Peacock, but I watched you might love this. Actually, Jerry Springer, there's a two episodes that guy.
Speaker 2: Not not Jerry, but that producer who came in.
Speaker 1: I mean that Actually it has major implications on the culture, of course, like it made trash populist, you know what I mean, or revealed the appetite that people would have for tabloidy sensational types of stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, And it's like Roman colosseum sense, it's like primal It's this thing that like human beings will respond to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that ultimately opens the door to Trump. And it all started with that kick a K episode. Insane And also I actually didn't know that one of the episodes led to a horrific murder, right, and keep watching it because by the end of the second episode you're like sad. But I do think there's something about that show that is like important and speaks to the culture and why we're at where we're at.
Speaker 2: I always viewed Springer as like, I mean, obviously, it's like a distressing troublesome I'll say the word even though I'm slightly rolling my eyes, like problematic show, right, But I was always comforted. But like Jerry Springer knew how to like ring it in at the end and be like this was the message of this episode and take care of yourselves and each.
Speaker 1: Way that way to smooth it over at the end. I mean it's but yeah.
Speaker 2: It's an important alleviating thing that he understood he had to do at the end of each other. And that was his catchphrase when he was a news anchor. Did not realize he was a professor, right, he was like a professor. He's a fascinating past well, he was read off. He was a mayor, he was the mayor.
Speaker 1: Of them of Oh my god, yeah, that of that town right anyway, I don't know either, but he was like he had a very interesting background. And then Cincinnati, I think, right or something like that. But then he became a host of a daytime show. And it's funny because I don't know if you've gotten to this point, but they show like the first or second episode of his show, and it was literally like so miltos, it was like what everyone else was doing, like Phildonna here, and they were like literally like number eighteen of nineteen shows in daytime and they were like, Okay, we need to drastically change this. Let's try this other flavor of programming. And then obviously the rest is history, but fascinating.
Speaker 2: But Springer was like a huge part of my day when I would like when I would like because we didn't have cable, as I say, and so huge part of my day growing up when I would like stay homesick, wow, because they would just play it back to.
Speaker 1: Bath and your parents didn't come in and were like turn this off by the time they got home. It was just right right at home.
Speaker 2: Or my sister, but like you know, we wouldn't be sick. At the same time, I would just like be sitting at home in the summers especially, I would just like be at home watching Springer and then it would go from Springer to Bob Ross, Like what a fucking wildlash.
Speaker 1: I could never get anything past my parents, like it was. And then randomly they gave me a TV in my room in high school, and I was like, okay, this is a wild swing left because I was just watching like remember when E. You don't remember because you didn't have cable, but E would show Howard Stern. Oh, this is like the era of Anna Nicole Smith and like Howard Stern like being on E. And so I watched so much garbage and trash, Like at the time, how I filed it away in my brain. Now I love Howard Sterne because he's rebranded. But it was just so funny. I was a sheltered person in terms, like they would never ever allow me to watch South Park. Oh, to the point where I started to be afraid of the show. Okay, like like it was like a trauma. It was like a trigger. Whenever it was on. My cousins would watch it and I'd be like.
Speaker 2: I can't watch this, so then were you were you ever? Have you ever been a south Park guy? I should honestly get into it now. It's pretty because.
Speaker 1: I know the movie man, I love Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
Speaker 2: I know the movie is amazing. And also there's some episodes of south Park that are like, yeah, just hot, just pure brilliant comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But at the time, because it was like, you know, the things that they said, and like, of course the Kenny dying of it all, my parents were just like, no, you can't watch that. Do you've watched the the episode where they have the or at the bottom of the scram for how many times they say? Fuck?
Speaker 2: No, that's an amazing episode because it just it goes somewhere brilliant. Did you ever watch the Vadgis Still episode?
Speaker 1: Oh, I've not seen any of it? Were Cartman?
Speaker 2: Cartman becomes like a better runner, he becomes you. This is south Park for me was I was in the third grade in Canada and me and my friends, I mean somehow these like I was able to watch south episodes of south Park at home. My parents were like, what is this so whatever, Like they couldn't totally understand why it was vulgar, like a dialogue were the vulgar things. But then my friends and I in the third grade, like these like French Canadian middle class working class kids, like I guess their parents loved South Park two or something and they would watch South Park at home. And then we just all thought we were the south Park kids because we were like in a cold town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like bundled. It was like a weird one to one there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was like this like fat kid and he was like, I'm Cartman. And then we all loved it so much. And then when I had to move, when I told everyone I was moving to Colorado, they were like, oh my god, you're gonna be We're going to south Park and it was this huge and so we're going down South. So then going to Colorado with South Park on the brain, it was just like the only thing that made like the move to Colorado was so complicated by like John Manny Ramsay and Columne and then but then south Park was this other like contour to it where it was like but at least it's like it's it's where all these weird things happen, and that is true, like Colorado is a weird place.
Speaker 1: Like it has all like.
Speaker 2: The bizarre shit that would go down in Florida, but with like this like hippie dippy.
Speaker 1: Counterweight to it.
Speaker 2: I fucking love south Park so much, and we need to watch some classic episodes and the movie one of Sondheim's favorite musicals.
Speaker 1: Really, he said that, I feel like we've talked about this on the podcast. I probably he's somewhere on the record.
Speaker 2: He was like, that is one of the best musicals and one of the best movie musicals ever.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll never forget. I actually did.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I have seen that movie many times because I just I don't know. For some reason, I've seen the movie a bunch like and I downloaded a lot of this should jugging face, Like I used to listen to that all the time. But also blame Canada performance the Oscars I remember being unforgettable.
Speaker 2: And it's also because the actress who played Kyle's mom, soon after the south Park movie came out, took her own life. There's a lot of like south Park is really, I mean, god, it's still going like it's such an important piece of culture literally, and like it's so funny that we haven't talked about this before on the show.
Speaker 1: I think it's because it's a weird blind spot for me. Yeah, my parents might. They weren't helicoptery, but they were just sensitive to like I couldn't watch MTV and I could not watch south Park. Uh huh hard no, And it literally it weirdly made me fill those spaces and with other things that's interesting that I think does inform my culture. One which was the.
Speaker 2: And then what's the standard for south Park? You think like the Simpsons at least, but I'm not even a Simpsons, Like was it?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I watched a lot of like I watched a lot of Nickelodeon. I watched a lot of Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, like I was. It's interesting to see those things get relitigated, huh, because you're like, oh, like you're like absolutely, this is crazy, right right right, It's interesting like children's programming at the time, And you know what I'll say about south Park, at least they weren't pretending to be for totally like a lot of this other shit that was like explicitly marketed to kids, and it was all fucked up and really endangering the people the kids that were performing that stuff, Like at least that weren't like it wasn't like nefarious like South Park was what it was. It never pretended to not be totally. I know, there's like a there's like a genius security to that of intention. And to bring it back to Peacock, great documentary on Peacock came out already.
Speaker 2: I thought it was new, but it already apparently came out a couple of years ago called I Love You You Hate Me about Barney Oh, and about the culture of Barney bashing that I didn't really fully know about, but I remember growing up like, oh, it was like cool to hate Barney. It was like punk rocke Well because it was so popular. But not only that, but because it's the one of the actress from Blues Clues. They interview him and he his theory is the reason there was such a crazy collective anger towards Barney was that it was targeted towards three year olds, specifically, right, and like the creative Barney was this mother who wanted a show for her son and it came in the form of Barney because he was obsessed with dinosaurs. And I mean, Barney is pure I love you, you can do anything.
Speaker 1: We love each other.
Speaker 2: It's the messaging is so smooth brained and it's there's no nuance to it. And the guy who's in Blue Schools was like all great children's programming has broken people and broken characters in it, like Sesame Street, like yeah, Burton or like especially Burt broken person, even Oscar the Grouch he broke, Like there are these complex emotional Cookie is a drug addict. Cookie is a drug like but not know though, you know what I mean. Like the like children's programming when it's done well and it's for a large age demographic, it is like these com emotionally complex characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really interesting point. And like the same with Big Bird is like a little bit depressed. It's like, yeah, he is depressed. There's there are these like layers to it. Barney was clean up.
Speaker 2: Pure, clean up, pure, like aha, everything is happy, and so that drives anyone outside of that age demo insane because they're like, that's not how the world is. And a lot of parents were jealous that their kids loved Barney more than them. So then it began this entire culture around Barney and like burning Barney effigies like it's it was a whole thing in the nineties. WHOA, this is a great documentary.
Speaker 1: I have to watch. You have to watch. I love We also have to do our own documentary on the Barney to Amelia Pettes Pipeline. Yes, that is Selina's autobiography and Demi.
Speaker 2: Demi Levado was was it was?
Speaker 1: It was Demi Lovado.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: I think it's really interesting that we're gonna we actually are writing a film.
Speaker 2: About the Barney to Amelia.
Speaker 1: About the Barney to Amelia Petas Pipeline, yes, and how you get from one to the other. I do think Carlos Sofia Gascon is incredible, extremely versatile performance and demanding performance. I love it.
Speaker 2: I think I think she did a cover recently for a magazine where it was like the movie has inspired a lot of love and hate, Carlos going right on.
Speaker 1: Both woo like that's kind of shake. Yeah, that takes have been very strong on them.
Speaker 3: Movie. Yeah, Yeah, shall we do?
Speaker 1: I don't think so honey, let's do I don't think so honey. Here we go first. I don't think so honey of the New Year. But one thing that hasn't changed is what I don't think, so honey, is it's a one minute segment where we take sixty seconds, which actually is a minute if you think about it, even for more than one second, which is just one sixtieth of a minute, where we rant and rave against something in pop culture that we are not jamming on. And I actually I think I want to put something to bed right here on the episode. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: This is Matt Rogers putting something to bed in his I don't think so, honey, and his time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey any more jokes about holding space. It's a new year. Turn the page. Literally, Nikki Glazer four up those golden globes. We're so proud of you. She did the last holding space joke. Beat her. You can't beat that. You can't beat Tonight we celebrate movies and hold space for television. That is the last holding space joke. And now it's becoming a thing where it's like people are like, who are holding space? And that's taking the space of a joke, just saying holding space is not a joke. So we need to really think about do we want to continue this narrative. The answer has to be no, all respect to everyone involved. Was a fun moment, but holding space jokes are done. We are no longer holding space for them. Even that was too much, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you were just using it in a sentence.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think, so honey, anymore humor about this because it actually isn't joke humor and I don't think, so honey, humor over jokes. Hard jokes only go Nikki.
Speaker 2: And that's one minute you put it too bad, done, It's done. You lowered the casket because.
Speaker 1: Nicki Glazer, We're so proud of you. We're so proud of you. Girl. That's on your gig ongoing because they will have you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you're you're coming back because that that's how it works. Because best case scenario, if you kill at hosting an awards show, they go do it again. Yeah, and that is kind of great, but also torture.
Speaker 1: Shout out. Matt Whitaker wrote on the show, just so great. And I have to say what my favorite bit of the whole thing was popular, and that was from the brain of Matt. I love popular, I love what I started. I love that. The bit was what it sucks? This sucks? What do you mean this sucks? But she sounded good. She rocks. Nikki, you don't just see Taylor Swift twenty two times. It was it twenty two. You don't just see Taylor that many times and don't have your shit together for your era's moment, of course.
Speaker 2: And I just love the way Nikki, Let's say, justifies going to see the Earth Store twenty two times. She's like, I don't have a kid. I don't go to nice re restaurants. I don't I don't buy handbags or luxury clothes. I go to This is how I choose to spend my money. I went six off, go off to you, my sister, to spend your money however you want to make yourself happy, and I will continue to do that as.
Speaker 1: Long as other people are not suffering because of that. You're fine.
Speaker 2: If you're not gambling your life away, if you're not taking your money for your child, partner, whatever, do whatever you want with it. I took myself to Japan, which you know, and I have no fucking regrets.
Speaker 1: No, and nor should you, nor should you ever, not ever, not ever, And I hope the same is true after you do this. I don't think so, honey. I have a kind of specific one.
Speaker 2: But I think I think we all have experienced this, and I hope, I hope this is legible. And that's a bad sign, right, I hope this reads you.
Speaker 1: I think you said, I think this is something we've all experienced, and you hope it's legible. Yep, I know you're gonna do it. This is Bowen Yang's I think, so honey, as time starts now.
Speaker 2: I don't think so honey Instagram or TikTok ads that are staged as like a fake podcast.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm talking about where it's like two people and I might be like, I just tried this new creating gummy what's it called. It's it's so clearly staged, it's so clearly actors. It's like I'm learning a new language with this.
Speaker 1: I just, first of all, I don't like podcasts being used as advertising material period. Believe it or not, Matt and I have been doing this for a long time. Thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: It's so funny to be It's an interesting time in podcasts, right, because I would not say you and I are like podcasters in the way that like podcasters denote something. Now, we're not like in the manisphere. We are not quite in like I don't know, we're like not quite like a showbiz podcast, but we're not quite like a pop culture comedy podcast anymore. We defy categorization. And I don't like it when people use our form and medium to create to try to sell and ship for bullshit.
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. The amount of ads we have to do after this is so crazy.
Speaker 2: That's different. That's so that we can keep the lights on for us.
Speaker 1: If someone is aping our shit to fake like an organic conversation about how much they love to use like a UV phone sanitizer, that's weird to me. My god, all those words. But you know what I mean, I do that. That's what. That's why it isn't like anything fake and anyway, it's like stupid, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: This is a thing. And I know for a fact that people are experiencing this on their scrolls. I'm like, yeah, this is a weird fucking thing. Why are we pretending that this is a podcast?
Speaker 1: Well probably also like who knows if it even is actual human beings doing it, Like oh the AI. We want to say thank you to whoever it was that voted for us to be nominated or the iHeart Podcast of the Year. Thank you, thank you so much. Hopefully we might win a second time. We might be like Hillary Swank, oh my god, or think about that Merrill. Well. I hope that people stop thinking. I really hope people. Do you have any resolutions? I think we're over we're too old. Do I have any resolutions? Honestly? My resolution I think I had one, and then I was like, it's always like pretty vague. It's like care less what people think. Sure, I think I need to keep doing what I'm doing. Keep doing what you're doing. That's that's my resolution.
Speaker 2: Don't change a thing. I wouldn't change a thing, neither would I have or you, honey. My resolution is my year long project is to make this playlist that I just want to have on while I'm cooking, cleaning.
Speaker 1: A life playlist. It's not a life.
Speaker 2: It's called my nighttime playlist, and it's like my wine down like good because I was just in every bar in Japan I was at, and I didn't go to that many, but there was just like there's so many nights where I would just be like and like just the most beautifully decorated place and the vibes were just sublime and the music was like an El Fitzgerald song or something.
Speaker 1: I was just like, Oh, I need to like curated.
Speaker 2: I need it, but I need to like draw this out for my own life. I need like fun international music. Not that elephants drawers internace, but you know what I mean. Like it was just like I just want like music to live.
Speaker 1: To just I think that is it sounds so silly. I think there is a definish chance that you will create this. I think there is a definish chance. We didn't name this episode. That's kind of beautiful.
Speaker 2: What if untitled?
Speaker 1: Oh? Untitled? Fine, what do we do? What do we call it? Throwing Neck? Throwing Neck?
Speaker 2: This is episode one, throwing Throwing Neck our ninth year.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a podcast twenty sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty one, two three four Yeah this oh five?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, like if you but it's it has not been a full decade, Like it'll be a decade when we hit twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: March twenty twenty six, we have to throw a big party for our ten year anniversary. Where should we have it? Hooters? I think there is a definition chance then we will have it at Hooters. Oh my god, that will be amazing. That'll be amazing the time score Hooters. Is there one I don't know anymore. There's one in Toronto. We can do that. Oh, we could do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. I think there is a definition chance. Should we call it definition? Should we call this a definition chance? Or throwing neck?
Speaker 1: Throwing neck? Throwing neck? People will love to see that. Oh, you have me to throw neck, You have me to throw neck. And before anyone jumps on our case, we've given credit to Delta work million times popularizing the phrase.
Speaker 3: And we need.
Speaker 2: Delta work on the podcast. Delta work on the podcast. Now we need Delta work to me more.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: And Cookie Monster and Cookie Monster look for those Hmmm, I think that's a good that's a residute.
Speaker 1: Look for the heroes. Look for the helpers, Look for the helpers. We end every episode of the song.
Speaker 4: Many years I've waited for a gift like yours to up Why I predict the Wizard may make you Lee's magic grandvisy. I'll write at once to the Wizard, tell him.
Speaker 5: Advance with the talents like yours. There is Jeff in the sands. If you work like you as.
Speaker 1: You should, you be may It is one of the great moments things of culture.
Speaker 3: A moment of culture.
Speaker 1: Bye bye last Culture. Raciss is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players in My Heart Radio podcasts. It's created and hosted by Matt Rogers and Bowen Yek, Executive produced by Ana Hasnier and Hans Soni, produced by Becker Ramos, edited mixed by Doug Babimmi fla board and our music is by Henry Kmirsky.