Speaker 1: Hey, Sabrina, Hey will what was the best Christmas present you ever got?
Speaker 2: Present?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, I could go real cheesy on ya.
Speaker 1: Was it the steak eating hot tub?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know if that was a gift or not.
Speaker 2: Uh No. One year, well into dating Jordan, I had to do Chris a show I went to. I went and performed a show for like a week or so, and it was going to actually be over Christmas. So we had a Christmas Eve show and then we had a day after Christmas. It was all the way in Florida. And I was so sad because we really hadn't spent that much time away from each other. And so he ended up surprising me and coming and like missing Christmas with you know, obviously his family and everything to be with me on Christmas, and I like that was like the most magical and romantic thing. I was just so overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: They also I do also do remember when I was little, when I got the year I got my roller blades, was like came out and my roller blades and blades that year they were white with pink and teal, like, oh they were so hot. I love them. I was so stoked. I don't think I need home inside like the house. After I opened them, I was done for the day, just outside for you. What about you will?
Speaker 1: Mine's kind of similar, Susan and Night. No, I'm kidding. It was the G I Joe Uss Defiant, which is the best thing I ever got. It was the big space shuttle that G I Joe made, and it was the coolest thing I've ever had. I still have you do.
Speaker 2: Do you have a lot of your stuff like that?
Speaker 1: I still have my first car.
Speaker 2: Well that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't throw anything out, so I still like all the stuff I have. I basically still have now some of it is beat to hell, right, But I mean, like.
Speaker 2: You made fun of me for having Kidget still my Dolly.
Speaker 1: You're demonic doll that is responsible for the deaths of several people. That's different. Yikes.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting though, a gift like that, especially with little kids, like I try so hard to hold on to stuff, but like letcher just like beats the hell out of these things. I don't know how I'm ever going to keep anything that you like.
Speaker 1: They don't field anything to last anymore. The toys in the seventies would kill a kid and they were great. Remember you were you were too young for lawn darts. Lawn darts were just giant spiked darts that you would just throw into the air and you're supposed to hit a thing, but you're just throwing them at your friends. So they had they literally discontinued them because they were just killing kids all over the place. They were too lawn darts. We used to have the most expensive, most most dangerous toys ever BB gun fights. It was awful. So yeah, these is it's it's thank god. That's why they did make things that don't last anymore, because when you go hit kid over the head with it, it's shatters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's all Ledger does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my Transformers, my original Transformers were metal, the metal.
Speaker 2: Yes, the transform Metal Transformer.
Speaker 1: Eight seven eight, No. I was eighty four, So that's when the show came out from Yeah, metal thing never that's how the toys were built. Yeah, your matchbox cars all the week, everything was metal.
Speaker 2: I don't even let him have like any of his balls that aren't like NERF like type material, you know, like the like squishy because he just threw I mean he's destructive, like he's just insane. Boy, energy is crazy. Now Monroe will sit in color she's cool. Led His mission is to destroy it, like.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Use it to destroy something else in the house. It's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, anyway, that's going to lead us to I think probably the next kind of chunk of movies we're going to be doing. Because we did all hollows.
Speaker 2: Look at your favorite. I didn't even really street, Yes we are.
Speaker 1: I didn't do that. We didn't do that on purpose.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I wore this shirt this purpose. This gets me into the holiday spirit like no other. And anyone who can see this knows this is like from the nineties, early nineties.
Speaker 1: That was crystal methbear. I remember that. That's how they used to smuggle things into the country, was in crystal methbear. That's so cute. Did you not know that? No?
Speaker 2: Are you being serious?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So that's specific bear kittens and yeah no, but that specific bear was known for. They used to cut the back of it open and just fill it with drugs and ship it in. I'm kidding. Yeah, it feels like Christmas. Yes, I love it. Oh, I love it. No. Well, first of all, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves, tsunamis, and the Teddy Bears held drugs. I'm Wilfred Dell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sebrien to Bryant, he got me again.
Speaker 1: I did. I did. It's very good again. I did. Hang the stockings, settle the mistletoe, leave out the cookies of the milk, and spend your last dollar on gifts because we're celebrating the holiday season here on Magical Rewind and now reviewing the two thousand and one Christmas d com Twas the Night. It's a good title. Originally released on December seventh, two thousand and one. It's part of the channel's popular holiday programming Something we Know includes a whole lot of hocus Pocus in Christmas theme TV episodes. You have a favorite Christmas movie? What's your favorite Christmas movie of all time? Do you watch something every year every year?
Speaker 2: I have two and you can't get me to try to like.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing one of them's Elf Elf is the is.
Speaker 2: The movie we play every year while we're while we're putting the tree up. Okay, career and then The Grinch, and the Grinch is now one of Monroe's favorite movies.
Speaker 1: Original Grinch, like the animated one, or like the did Jim Carrey car Okay, never.
Speaker 2: See I haven't seen the animated one?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the original? You know I've got one. Yes, yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: Jim Carrey just I mean him and then Will Ferrell like, oh yeah they killed those movies.
Speaker 1: Just so good good.
Speaker 2: So that both of those I watch them every year every year. I know, you watch a Christmas Story.
Speaker 1: Christmas Story every year by myself in my theater room with all my gifts. So I do my wrapping to the Christmas Story every single year. That's just my things. Who's like, go do your thing. So I've been doing that since I think since the year it came out, I've watched Christmas Story every single year.
Speaker 2: Wow. It is a perfect So it was a VHS tape well.
Speaker 1: I think originally. I think the first time I saw it, I probably saw it in the theater, right and then and then it was VHS yeah or no, and then they started playing it on TV. Every year. You could always find a Christmas story. Oh yeah, now it's everywhere, but even before streaming Christmas every Yeah. This is actually the second ever Christmas d com, the first being an old favorite of ours, The Ultimate Christmas Present, And much like that movie, Twas the Night gets frequently replayed on the Disney Channel during December's even to this day. The title of movie, of course, is a play on the eighteen twenty three poem A Visit from Saint Nicholas by Clement Clark Moore, something that has lived numerous lives and is still read today. And no shock here. The movie was filmed in Kenyata. That's right, Canada, Canada.
Speaker 2: Toronto of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's Toronto, Kanyata. Everybody knows that now, make absolutely no qualms about it. Twas the Night is basically a lower budget version of another Disney movie, The Santa Claus, which was released seven years earlier, and this film is nowhere near as successful. But that's not to say it can't become one of your favorite new holiday traditions. We don't want to sour it for you. It's just worth pointing out this is hardly an original premise for the studio, and by that I mean it was basically a directorpuff and you can make up your own mind twas the Night is available to watch right now in Disney. Plus, maybe Pairrott with a lit fireplace, some h Coco and a festive Christmas tree, or just mindlessly scroll on your phone while it plays in the background. Doesn't mean a thing to us, up to you Stop being so codependent, geez. Disclaimer not to listen to this with little kids who want to find out. Oh yeah, yeah, So did you know anything about this movie before we were assigned our homework?
Speaker 2: I did not. I did not.
Speaker 1: I'm amazing. Really, thousand well two thousand and one is kind of right in your wheelhouse, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is it is to be honest. I mean when when the fact that the channel had Christmas movies at all shocks me because I don't. I literally, for the longest time just figured they just didn't touch like the holiday.
Speaker 1: Oh gotcha ration right.
Speaker 2: Because I have never seen Yeah, and I watched so many decoms and I had just never seen one. I just figured they just never had them. So we've now watched too, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: I obviously knew nothing of this film and have now seen it and still don't really know much of this film. The eggnog is getting warm, so let's hack into the sleigh hard drive and get our synopsis. A mischievous teen and his slacker uncle accidentally knock out Santa and are forced to deliver presents in his high tech sleigh. What were your early thoughts on Twas the Night? Did you like this movie?
Speaker 2: I thought, honestly, this was, like you said, a lower budget it was. It wasn't, you know, remaking it, reinventing the wheel as you say. It wasn't anything like that. But it wasn't. It was an easy watch, and it was a festive watch. I love Christmas time. I'm always down for it. I love Santa Claus, I love all things. And it being on the Channel, Like I said, I've never really even realized the channel had Christmas movies, so it was nice to see that this is what the channel would make of a Christmas movie. Oh okay, what about you will?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I don't know, you don't know, I don't know. I am a huge Brian Cranston fan, so I think I have a soft spot for anything he's in.
Speaker 2: I literally, out loud said, oh my god. When I I was so excited. He was gonna I was gonna be watching him for the next ninety some minutes.
Speaker 1: But a lot of this movie doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Some of it's weird. I didn't dislike it, Like I didn't come out going like man, that movie was terrible. But I also didn't come out going like man, this movie was really good. It was like I felt like I saw a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's how I feel. I mean, the end is the the was kind of the worst, like ah, yeah. It also for me, it was the end, the stuff in the middle. The beginning, I felt like it started off so strong, like so strong, and then it just kind of just kind of plateaued for me, you.
Speaker 1: Know, me too. I also get into the how does this work rules of things.
Speaker 2: There are a couple of the rules. The rules were not set in place, did we Yeah, some of them.
Speaker 1: But again, I love it. I love Brian Kratzen, I really do. And I thought it was great. I thought the act was really good. Kerman was great, Josh. You know who else was phenomenal was the sister. Yes, she was really really good in this movie.
Speaker 2: So watch that.
Speaker 1: I went and googled her. I googled her because I was okay, so she's really good.
Speaker 2: For the chance, I did not did she end up working for the Channel a lot? Because I'm like that, I don't. She's not a face that is really recognizable to me of the Channel of that era. Why, well, was the reason? Because she was a great Disney kid?
Speaker 1: I thought so too. She was very very good in this movie. You could just tell when a child actor is working at a different level than other child actors around them, and she, you know, Josh was obviously great, but there was a couple of little stumbles that have nothing to do with him. But she, I thought was was really good. So yeah, my honest answer is I don't know. I do not know how I feel about this movie, and maybe going through the synopsis maybe will help me more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I mean, I you know, again, it wasn't in no way was it like some of the movies that we have been watching lately that were like no.
Speaker 1: But I also feel like, and there's a couple of people that I'd love to get on the show that are like the quote unquote dcom experts. I mean, Lisa's one of our producer, Lisa's one of them where there seems like a real time in the dcom world pre we've called this pre Cheeta Girls. I would say post Brink pre Cheetah Girls in that ninety nine, two thousand and two thousand and one era where you can tell they're pumping them out where some of them just kind of miss the mark. They seem a little cheesier, the writing isn't kind of on point for some of them, and this this fell a little into that category. For me. This feels almost like there's a two or three year stretch of dcoms where they kind of don't know what they're doing yet because they're not doing Brink and they're not doing Cheetah Girls.
Speaker 2: Well, but they're doing them every They're they're coming out every like you said they're they're just a much so they're just not being as like the Nest or something right.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what it is. Maybe I feel I don't know if this movie he felt rushed or it felt I mean, I don't know, anyway, we'll get into it. So we have now been reviewing d COM's for approaching two years now, and I'm not sure we've had a more surprising credit in the history of the show than who directed Twas the Night. So, Sabrina, does the name Nick Castle ring any jingle bells for you?
Speaker 2: It doesn't until I read it, until we read Okay, so we read what our producers put in our hands.
Speaker 1: Yet ready for this cow? So Nick Castle, who directed the film, is best known as Mike Myers, Yes, Michael Myers, in the original nineteen seventy eight horror classic Halloween. The actor. He played Mike Myers in one of the scariest characters in the history of film, one of.
Speaker 2: The most terrifying rions your dreams at night, Yeah characters.
Speaker 1: He'd also revisit the character in three modern day sequels by Danny McBride and David Gordon Green. But talk about scary. Yes. He's also a director, most famously for the cult kids movie Oh My God, Oh My God. This movie. I can't even say the title of this movie without putting reverence behind it. This movie meant so much to me as a kid, so much to me as a kid, The Last star Fighter. Oh. He also directed The Boy Who Could Fly, Major Payne, the Ellen de generous wedding movie Mister Wrong. I mean, this guy's so talented. He also has writing credits on two of my other favorite films of all time, John Carpenter's Escape from New York, Blisken Snake, Bliskin oh Man, and Hook.
Speaker 2: I mean one of my favorite movies, some movie that I watched on repeat.
Speaker 1: This guy's career is b a na nas Bananas. I'm telling you it is amazing. So he's connected to all these kids' movies, but also a character is synonymous with fear. He is a regular at horror conventions these days. He is an icon. But can we seriously it's like finding out that Rob Zombie directed Brink.
Speaker 2: Yes, so just kind I am begging our producers to get this man on, just so you can see me turning ano eight year old.
Speaker 1: Kid watching talking about The Last Starfighter? Have you seen The Last star Fighter? No?
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 1: Oh do you You don't even know what it's about? Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: God imagining it's somebody start fighting nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: Four, nineteen eighty five. Oh, it's this kid at a trailer park. That was good. Come on, that was good. This kid at a trailer park starts playing this video game that was just left there called The Last Starfighter. When he beats the game. You find out it's basically an audition to become a starfighter pilot in this intergalactic war. Awesome. And so an alien essentially comes down to Earth and picks him up and brings him there right as the base is destroyed and there's one special ship left that he has to fly. It is the same as an eight year old boy. It's the sickest thing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Ever, so it was just I can't we got.
Speaker 2: To do that has to be so many guys like age.
Speaker 1: It was huge, It was huge.
Speaker 2: Favorite movie.
Speaker 1: It is just wow. Uh yeah. So I'm gonna talk about that quite a bit. And twas the Night stars a very familiar name. Yeah, an actor who was the star of arguably a top five television show of all time. And I'm not talking about Malcolm in the Middle. It's Brian Cranston as Nick Wrigley. Cranston began his career in the early eighties working as a character actor with breakout roles on Seinfeld and in Saving Private Ryan, but it was in the year two thousand that he entered the mainstream as Hell the Dad on Malcolm in the Middle, a job that landed him three Emmy nominations, but it was his next job that no one saw coming. He went from lovable comedy goofball to high school science teacher turn meth dealer as Walter White on Breaking Bad, one of the medium's greatest roles ever, winning him four Emmys and becoming a true critical darling of the century. Amazing. He was also Oscar nominated for another movie, I Love Trumbo, and appeared in other films like Argo, The Power Rangers, A zord On, Little Miss Sunshine, and Drive. And he is still at the very tippity top of his game, winning the Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series this year for seth Rogen's The Studio. So I've already asked this a few times, but is Brian Kranton the best actor we've ever seen in a dcom? I mean, we got Zendaya, Shaia, Debbie Reynolds, but it's freaking Brian Cranson.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was just so shocking. I had no idea he was in this movie, nor would I have ever in my life guest that he had a guess that he actually was in a dcom. Ever ever? Right?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, But I mean again, then I look at like the fact that he was zored on. Yes, when you start looking at it, he just wants to do fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And to be honest, like going back to like kind of just thoughts on the movie. This movie would be a completely different movie had he not been in it.
Speaker 1: It would not. I bet you I could have answered the question of whether I liked it or not had it not been Brian Kranston. Yes, he destroyed me because I love him.
Speaker 2: He made this movie. I mean, he really held this movie because it could have been because he's just so good. He's and he leaned into his character. He was a nasty man.
Speaker 1: He was. It was God, It's great. I would love to hear what he thought when he read the script. But I love it.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it's crazy. So yes, I was shocked and but.
Speaker 1: Appreciated it the same same. And then we have Josh Zuckerman playing Danny Wrigley. Josh had already appeared on TV in The West Wing and The Amanda Show before Twice the Night, and would later play young Doctor Evil in Austin Power's gold Member. He also has been seeing a ton of other movies like Surviving Christmas and Sex Drive. He also appeared on TV shows like Kyle x Y, Desperate Housewives, and nine to two and zero. He was also in Freaking Oppenheimer. He's been in everything. We can also let you know, and I'll announce it again at the end, but he's gonna be our guest on our Poor Copper episode. We're very excited. We had a great conversation with him and it was really cool. And so director Nick Castle might be a horror legend who has terrified millions of people over the years. But you know what's the scariest thing of all the length of this movie. So how long was twas the Night? It was eighty seven minutes? All right? Sorry, that was nice. That was me being horror. So it's three off target, but on the shorter side of history, which we love to see. It's a true Christmas miracle. Thank you everybody involved. I'm sure Tiny Tim had something to do with that himself.
Speaker 2: More like a bed movie.
Speaker 1: Where is your head going? It's Christmas? I was trying to imagine stabbing somebody, not having sections though. God it's true, but nice. Too many jokes, too many jokes, I know. And on the writing side, we've got three credits. TV writer Jim Lincoln, who'd worked on Honey Ashrunk, The Kids, The TV show, Weird Science, The TV Show, and Desperate Housewives, and his writing partner Dan Studney, who also wrote the movies Jack the Giant Slayer and Reefer Madness the movie musical, which great movie. But it's the final writer that caught my attention. That's Jenny Tripp. And she doesn't have many credit story name, but she did contribute quote additional story material quote to a big Disney Milestone film, The Lion King, which is probably the reason she got this movie, but she didn't work again after. I'd love to hear a story because something feels weird here, so I want to know what it is.
Speaker 3: I'm Kristin Davis, host of the podcast Are You a Charlotte? The most anticipated guest from season three is here the Tray to My Charlotte. Kyle McGlaughlin joins me to relive all of the magical Tray in Charlotte moments. He reveals what he thinks of Trey giving Charlotte a cardboard baby.
Speaker 4: Why would I bring her on cardboard baby? I was literally I was like, this doesn't track for me at all.
Speaker 3: When he found out Trey's shortcomings.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of excited to talk, but you know, I think he's a guy spends time in Central Park. You know, he's probably be some surgery stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: And I was like, all this.
Speaker 4: Kind of stuff going on, and they were like, yeah, yeah, yeah, and they said, but he's impotent, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, he's impotent, and why he chose not to return to ingest like that.
Speaker 4: They came and presented an idea and I was like, I get I see it.
Speaker 2: It's so kind of a one joke idea.
Speaker 5: You don't want to miss this.
Speaker 3: Listen to are You a Charlotte on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: And now hark the Herald Angels sing, Let's break bad and save Christmas. It's time to recap Twas the night we opened. During the holidays. Outside the suburban Wrigley family home, we see snow in Christmas lights, and a young narrator recites the poem for which the movie is based on. But when it gets to not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse, we hear a girl scream, and when he mentions the stockings hun with care we see them being pulled down in haste, and when Saint Nick gets name checked, we see color lights being pulled off a Christmas tree and used to tie Santa Claus to a chair. Our narrator can't believe the real Santa exists and is in his house, and then we flash back to the day before Christmas, John, the workaholic father the Wrigley family is rapping presents, while Abby the mom, is burning cookies in the kitchen. The obnoxious genius sister Caitlyn is upstairs reading in advanced trigonometry textbook, and a beloved little brother, Peter, is a I don't know why I said it like that, Peter. Weirdly British Peter is aimlessly roaming the halls. Very straight hook Peter, how about just Peter is roaming the halls, prohibited from entering his big bro's room, and that's where we find out our narrator, Danny, who is playing a flight simulator video game, has a real Ferris Bueller kind of vibe to him, and then he realizes something he's totally neglected. It's Christmas Eve. He checks his wallet and he only has a dollar. As he tells his family, he doesn't have enough money for presents. He narrates his own poem about having no money, disliking his dad, his sister's being too smart, and now he'll force his little brother to buy him of his old junk. And while Danny counts his manipulated brother's money, his parents are furious. Despite his no returns policy, Danny now must give Peter. Somebody keeps saying it a full refund. Danny argues it's like their Uncle Nick says he's just sharing the wealth. Uncle Nick is considered a bad role model slash con artist, and the mention of his name alone doesn't excite Danny's dad, But Danny defends Nick by calling him, quote unquote, the bomb, which in two thousand and one might be one of the first of the bombs we've gotten. While they argue, Peter walks off to get a cookie jar and in the kitchen ends up breaking into a million little pieces, spilling tons of change to the floor. He was getting the money to give it to Danny. What a sweet little kid.
Speaker 2: You know, says it's money for family right now.
Speaker 1: Upstairs in his room, Danny looks at a picture of him and Uncle Nick and calls him the coolest person in the family, though Peter thinks Danny is the coolest person in the family, and we might have a best Little Brother award in a d com What a twist, like a good little brother. Never thought we'd see that true. Danny bets Uncle Nick is somewhere making a big business deal right now. And then we get a Podmets World patented optical flip because Uncle Nick is actually blindfolded, tied to a chair and begging for mercy. And when he wrestles off the blindfold, we see it's just two young nerds yelling into a mug, claiming they were a swindled by Nick's phony website, realfastdough dot com, which, as our producers like to do, they actually check stuff out and is not currently a website. Okay, how did they get him tied to the chair without knowing who they were?
Speaker 2: Number? This is our first what.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lot of people tied to chairs where I didn't understand how they got tied to chairs, correct, and so we'll get to that. But this is the first half of how did this guy get Yeah, okay, so Nick can't believe it, But these dorks Bill and Harry are furious about the thirty thousand dollars they lost and they want it back. Nick claims he made investments with the money and then lost it all, and so the nerds threatened to pour hot coco on his beloved laptop, which he calls, but instead they passed Nick off to their vice president of collections and intimidating henchman named Elliott, who grabs the con man by the nose. If Nick doesn't return their money by Christmas morning, Elliott will hurt a lot more than just his nose. They untie him, and as soon as they leave, he's running down the fire escape to skip Town, lappy in hand, but Elliot spots him leaving and it becomes a chase tide. Nick finds a building next to a long line of impatient children and parents waiting to take pictures with Santa. He goes through the line. He sees all the kids waiting. He knows all the kids are waiting. He hears the kids yelling, we want Santa Claus. So what does he do to escape? Escape unnoticed? He bumps into Santa, steals his clothes, and becomes mister Claus. Because that guy was taking a dump in the bathroom, so he steals his costume. So now he's dressed like Santa. That's the worst way to escape all the people waiting for Santa.
Speaker 2: Well, he was gyant. It was like a disguise, disguise everyone's waiting for right It's it was like, it was like why what?
Speaker 1: So I get why they had to do it because they needed him to be in the Santa pants for the rest of the movie, but still it was very strange. So he's able to fool Elliott and jump on a bus. We are back at the Rigleys. The family has gathered to read the actual visit from Saint Nick. When their doorbell rings, it's Uncle Nick, still dressed as Santa Danny. The kids are happy to see him, but John knows something's up. But before he can even question his brother, he's been called to the hospital. There's been a major outbreak of reindeer flu. Of reindeer flu.
Speaker 2: Gonna say again, I mean, I guess we didn't really, I had no idea what their occupation was.
Speaker 1: No, we had no idea what it was.
Speaker 2: So it was kind of like, oh, first of all, I mean, obviously the reindeer flu thing was like what absurdity.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, he's a doctor, and then it's like, oh and she's a doctor too.
Speaker 1: Like they're all doctors. Okay, all right, So I'm gonna ask just a very simple question. Is it just a creative name or we supposed to believe it's real? What the reindeer flu? As? I guess there's.
Speaker 2: Another one that comes on and I actually is just looking into my notes and I didn't write it down. It's something else that comes up later on that was like a really weird situation too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's member. I think, well, it's another reindeer flu. They talk about it again, but anyway.
Speaker 2: It's another situation like reindeer flu. It is, yeah, and I'm like, what are these like? And he said it's so noginal, like oh like the reindeer flu, Like oh, like yeah.
Speaker 1: We get it every year common. Yeah, that's why Rudolph's nose is red. It's because of reindeer flu and you know some ha. So this covid like emergency forces them to leave the kids with Uncle Nick, which terrifies John of course, but Nick seems to be doing pretty well so far. He's now reading the poem as the kids argue about if Santa is even real, and Caitlin's being a real torp about it. She doesn't think it adds up, but Peter still believes thanks to Danny. But it's like, dude, you know your little brother still believes. Give the kid a break and let them be even Santa Claus for a little. It's like, come on, it's.
Speaker 2: Such a thing that parents do have to navigate at some point when the older kids start to It just actually happened with Monroe with an older kid when right before we were going to Disneyland and the older kid told her that those that Cinderella wasn't really Cinderella. She has a wig on and Jordan I have never seen him get so said about another old kid. He was like, she can't play with her anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's me.
Speaker 2: You can, come on, you can't. It's and it's her. It's her friend's older sister. And she's like, why does why haven't they talked to her about not like ruining the magic for the little kids?
Speaker 1: I remember, I was like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, she's not our kid. We will know to do that with Monroe and Ledger like that's not our.
Speaker 1: Kid, kid around, that kid, Come on, the kid's bad news. Yeah, that kid's bad news in trouble. I'm completely on Jordan's side with this one.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's a whole horrible thing. Like your little sister, little brother live in the magic for a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: It's part. It's it's a very specific part of your your life that changes when you find out that Santa isn't real it really is. And I remember I remember literally screaming and crying at the top of my lugs, begging my parents to tell me because I wanted to know as he real? Is he real? Is he real? I know he's not.
Speaker 2: Really your brothers that were really.
Speaker 1: So I just figured it out. It's kind of logistically impossible. So I was like, unless he's a wizard, and then if he was a wizard, because those are real, he would be doing.
Speaker 2: My big here is is that the kids finding out that we're lying to them for so long? Like, how has that got to backfire?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't remember beings at my parents.
Speaker 1: My dad hated to have to tell me. We still talk about this story of this days like it would crush me that I had to tell you because it's I was the youngest and that's the end of it, Like that's for them until you get grandkids back and then it starts all over again. But anyway, reindeer flu, which I think is what I have right now, Yeah, it sounds like it. It does right, Yeah, So she doesn't think it adds up, but Pete still believes thanks to Danny. And before John and Abby leave, they send the kids off to bed, even teenage Danny, and it's not even nine pm yet, but his dad does not want him hanging around with Nick. And now with the doctor's gone, Nick goes to work on Lappie. He's trying to get Alan, but it's immediately hacked by Elliott and the nerds. They're real time tracking his location. So Nick sends them a supervirus that scrabbles their hard drive and will mess with any computer within fifty miles. And that's when we look to the skies and here's something to sending fast to crash on Earth. Then there is a loud thud and some footsteps on the roof. Danny shows up downstairs to investigate, and Nick assumes it is a huge squirrel, and that's when everything freezes. Tons of molecules that look like gray killer bees come flying out of the fireplace, eventually combining to reveal Santa Claus with a huge bag of gifts. The special effects aren't very good, so I mean, let's be honest, the special effects aren't working.
Speaker 2: They yeah, they were the budget. They were the special effects of this budget.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: But I will say that was a cool way to do it. It wasn't him shimming down the chimney a creative way that I haven't seen before In additional movie of How Santa Gets, I thought, so it was. It was creative to me, So I let it go.
Speaker 1: I agree, great, but I let it go. He's also a good movie version of Santa. He's a great he really is. He is played by Canadian actor Jefferson Mapin, who's best known as Fatty Rossiter in the movie Unforgiven, And I remember that role. He was great. Yeah is oh man, but it was he was great. Santa is talking to an elf named Albert in his earpiece and is led to Lappie with uncle and nephew still frozen behind him. Yes, they are frozen, and we will get into that because anyway, Albert instructs him to put the virus in the computer trash, which apparently Santa had to use computers on his sleigh this year because the reindeer have. The reindeer flew again.
Speaker 2: This is real.
Speaker 1: So this is real. Now, this is an epidemic. This is something we're gonna have to get another whole thing of whether you have to get shots or whatever because of reindeer flew. But I here's okay. I get why they needed to do this, because they needed to steal the sleigh and all that stuff. But I did not like some of the changes to Santa. I don't like Santa without his reindeer. The reindeer important part of Santa. So I even if it's one rogue reindeer, give me a reindeer. Okay, I don't like. I don't like this thing that flies itself, because then why does he need the reindeer. Santa doesn't need the reindeer. He can just do this all like digitally. Yeah, it was. It's very strange.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's strange too because it's like two thousand and one when I don't feel like our internet and all that stuff was really like that savvy.
Speaker 1: No, but I guess in Santa land. It is also at one point he says in the movie, which freaked me out. He's like, I just should be lying on a beach somewhere letting one of the reindeer rub lotion on me.
Speaker 5: I didn't get that.
Speaker 1: Why not missus clause. Why wouldn't the line be missus Claus. Well, one of the reindeer is rubbing lotion on him, and just I still, I couldn't sleep last night because the visuals too much for me.
Speaker 2: I could sleep last night. I was wearing a red jump like a red sweater with red pants yesterday out shopping for stuff, and this man called me missus Claws and that really like.
Speaker 1: Rude. Wow.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, let me guess missus Claws. And I was like, sir, excuse me, sir, I know that old.
Speaker 1: Jeez Loly, Missus Claus is timeless. She's not old.
Speaker 2: She is an old woman with gray hair and.
Speaker 1: A red body. She's timing. You know, you know all this Santa Claus, by the way, was invented by the Coca Cola Corporation. Have you actually read that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: The Santa Claus that we know, the big cheeks, the ruddy cheeks, the white beard, the red suit. All of that was invented in like the twenties by Coca Cola. There is not a single Santa Claus like that before the Coca Cola company invented it, Like was.
Speaker 2: It like their advertisement or something.
Speaker 1: They wanted to know. They wanted to brand the holiday and they wanted people to associate Coca Cola with the winter holiday. So they literally invented that Santa Claus that we now know. Wow, it's all all invented by Big Soda, Thank you very much. Okay, now ready once again for the sky. Santa decides to start with the Wrigley House. While he's there, Peter and Caitlin are on the nice list, but Danny's on the naughty list. He blames Nick, who's on the naughty list for life. Santa goes to his bag, picks up some tiny rat presents and leaves him under the tree. This was brilliant to me, by the way, Yes, great, great idea for how Santa can do all this stuff, and then I made it. Even in my head it was like if they did it nowadays, it's just a big bag of sand, because every grain of sand is a present from around the world. So it's just the idea that they're tiny and you can leave him, because then he could carry him all. Genius. Genius, genius. He reveals a magical gold ball from his pocket, presses a button and the tiny presence quickly inflate to regular size. Now, as genius as that idea is, the gold ball is really stupid, because of course you can lose it. It should be a watch or something that's.
Speaker 2: On Santa, because you don't.
Speaker 1: You don't do it. You don't you have your most important thing.
Speaker 2: Read all but that.
Speaker 1: Which is what he does.
Speaker 2: He lost it right along with it because I was so like, no at this point, that's what I said. I kind of went up and down. And you know, at the beginning, I felt like this had so much steam because I loved these creative ideas of Santa that we have not seen before. So I let the ball go.
Speaker 1: I would have I would have made it a thing that he wears on his wrist. And as Brian Cranston is checking his pulse or steps on his arm by accident, he makes the guy smaller and then he realizes it and he literally pulls it off of Santa Santa's arm. Because the idea that it's just something you can lose is really yeah, anyway, this is just these are the way my brains work. So he pulls the ball from his pocket, presses a button, and the tiny presents quickly inflate to regular size. But as the big jelly Man readies himself to leave, he drops the gold ball, accidentally releasing Nick and Danny from their spell. This is some of not okay. One of the easiest things to do in movies is freeze the frame so the characters don't move. These were actors that were just told the freeze that are clearly sitting there and moving moving because it's bad. Freeze frame. It's really bad. It's because it's just like, just freeze the frame. Don't don't make the actors stand there for forty seconds try because they're shaken all over the place. Nobody looks frozen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how many takes did it take to even get what they have?
Speaker 1: I know? It's great, terrible And.
Speaker 2: So it's like and at that point, for most of the time, at least he wasn't, the Santa wasn't in frame with them.
Speaker 1: No, they're just so easily shoot around that it's that's such an easy fix that. It's weird that they don't do that.
Speaker 2: It is strange. It's just weird, very strange choice.
Speaker 1: So Nick and Danny are released from their spell. The two are scared by the side of Santa, who tries to convince them that they're hallucinating. Santa tried to foot nice. Santa tried to fool them with the old look over their trick, but slips when he makes a run for it and knocks himself out. As he lays there on the floor completely still, Nick and Danny poke them with a stick and realizes this is the real Santa. Danny grabs a golden ball, accidentally pressing the button and shrinking Nick to the size of a thumb. What And when Danny presses the button again, Nick returns to normal height. So it's I guess you can do it with people too. Danny quickly realizes an unconscious Santa on Christmas Eve can ruin everything, but Nick insists they do nothing. It's not their problem. And when Nick now accidentally hits the golden ball button, it freezes Danny. Wow, this thing is very powerful. When he tries to unfreeze his nephew, quot unquote because nobody's actually frozen. They're shaking all over the place. He instead turns himself into floating molecules and floats out the chimney and into the sleigh on the roof. Nick has no way what to do when he wakes up in Santa's mode of transportation, but figures this is the miracle he needed. He fidgets with the stick shift. Who anybody who jumps into a new vehicle that's perched precariously on a rooftop is gonna start pressing buttons? Sorry, it's like, what are you doing there? It's like, I'm gonna grab this joystick and start pressing buttons. What are you thinking? Yeah, fidgets with the stick. Nothing happens. He presses the gold ball button once again, sending his molecules back into the house. He can't believe the possibilities. He unfreeses Danny and now suggests to his nephew they pick up the gauntlet and take over for Comatos Santa. Since Danny is so good at flight video games, he can control the sleigh while Nick can deliver the presence. Danny surprises Uncle changes his tune, but they shake hands and become heroes. Danny wonders about his brother and sister. They can't just leave them home alone, but Nick argues they aren't alone. Santa's there, even if he's unconscious, and just like that, they're off flying over the city in the sleigh.
Speaker 2: Okay, who tied him to the chair, that's the next.
Speaker 1: What Who lifted this giant man man, giant uncus man.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's a big guy. He's a huge dude, and all we have is a sister.
Speaker 1: No, because it's that's it couldn't have been the two little kids.
Speaker 2: Oh they were sleeping still.
Speaker 1: Right, are we supposed to believe that they picked this man up and they put him on the chair unconscious, this huge dude, and then tied him to the chair. It's like I didn't get that. Who tied him to the chair anyway?
Speaker 2: And to use lights from the Christmas tree doesn't seem like a decision, like an adulthood wake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know any of it is. It was just these these again. Everyone's like, you're nitpicking. Yeah, it's literally my job. Nick is still in Santa's outfit and suggests they start in the rich area of town, making up some excuse about lightning. The sleighs load. Back at the Wrigley House, Peter is awake at and downstairs. He's very surprised when he sees a passed out Santa, but assumes it's his uncle Nick. When he goes to pull off his beard, he realizes this is an Uncle Nick at all and screams at the top of his lungs. Meanwhile, in a nearby mansions roof, Nick realizes you can put your hand in Santa's bag and magically pull out Presence Brilliant. While inside the house, Uncle Santa has a completely different plan. He's frozen time as expected, but instead of delivering gifts, he's stealing expensive items and using the gold ball to shrink them into pocket size for travel. This guy's ayah. And when Nick Nick does return to the sleigh, Danny uses Santa's database and sees who's on the naughty list, and well, it's him. Danny's on the naughty list. Nick doesn't care who is this Santa to judge anyway, it's their turn to call the shots and decide who's naughty and who's nice. Back at the rig Leads, we return to the start of the movie, where someone has tied Santa to the chair again, it's Peter, who's now woken up Caitlin to help, and then Santa opens his eyes. So, I don't know who tied him the chair, but I can tell you even the four of them wouldn't have been able to move this dude. Yeah, he's so big, he explains, he's the reels also, So, I don't know if you've ever tried to pick anybody up who's not like passed out or unconscious. It's just dead weight. It's so difficult to do. Don't ask me how I know that, And then Santa opens his eyes. He explains he's the real Santa improves it by mentioning the one time Caitlyn cheated in the third grade. Now convinced and with Santa untied, Katelyn notices Santa's sleigh is gone. Santa suggests someone decided to be charitable and help while he was incapacitated, but when he realizes it was Nick Wrigley, he knows this can't be good. He tries to communicate with the L's, but he needs the sleigh for that to work, and then he sees Lappie. Since that's what brought him down to earth, he asked Kitlyn for help, and she has a plan. She'll hack into the sleigh and override the flight plan to bring it home, but she needs a stronger signal, so they're off to the computer shop, with Santa driving terribly behind the wheel of Mom's car, which also noticed was bright red like Santa Santas.
Speaker 2: I did notice that Yah interesting.
Speaker 1: Now in a new rich family's home, Uncle Nick is stealing and shrinking stuff, but is surprised by Danny, who has now entered the house to change a naughty kid's gift, so wonders why his uncle's taking so long. Using the ball, Danny delivers a punching bag because the naughty boy's been fighting at school and maybe he'll get his anger out on this instead. Nick is impressed with Danny's thoughtfulness. He says, when he was a kid, he always wanted a very specific, beautiful Jimmy Hendrix's guitar. He asked for it every year but never got it. But his brother, Danny's dad got everything he wanted. It was just naughty versus nice. But maybe if Danny was around back then, Nick would have gotten the guitar and he turned into something, so it was like he was noticing good things about his nephew. Yeah, and then before they leave, Danny notices Nick is a little lumpy, but makes nothing of it, at least for now. The real Santa and the Wrigley siblings have made a wrong turn and found themselves in a very sketchy alley. We hear rap music and see guys spray painting the walls, so we know that's trouble. Santa yells out and politely asks him to move, but when he honks, they don't seem very happy about it. The thugs surrounding the car, and they're quickly annoyed by his Santa ways, But weirdly, when Santa does get out of the car, exposing his full outfit and belly, the dozens of thugs are scared. Why would they be scared of him?
Speaker 2: First of all, but like also like he's an old man. I mean, he's an old man's dresses? Santa? What are you? What are you worried about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's also what kind of hooligans are out spray painting at like midnight on Christmas Eve?
Speaker 2: It's poligans, thugs. I believe that. I believe that. I just don't believe they'd be intimidated it and anyway by an older man dresses Santa.
Speaker 1: But the thugs are prepared for a fight, and Santa says he didn't want to do this, but then gets into a praying mant this defensive position, but instead of brawling, Santa starts feverishly tickling the gang leader, then define gravity with parkour, which did not look good, and tickling the man even faster, resulting in an all out surrender. The leader realizes Santa is a mean tickler and offers him a spot in his gang, because that's what every gang needs, is a good tickle guy. But Santa's in a hurry, and so to help, the gang escorts the family to comp you smart in the low Rider while listening to rap music. Santa thanks Pap and promises them good stocking stuffers. Inside the computer store, which is for no reason anyone can figure out whatsoever open in the middle of the night at like two o'clock in the morning or whatever it is on.
Speaker 2: Chrismas Eve, who would need to go in there my.
Speaker 1: Mousepad at three am. The store manager's obviously upset Santa's apparently late. He was supposed to be hired as a Santa for the shop this afternoon, but that guy didn't show. Caitlyn doesn't care. She's looking for the computer. We're now back in the sleigh. Nick has shrunk a sports car and Danny suggests maybe stopping by a homeless shelter to do some charitable work, but Nick leads them to a nearby mansion. Even though they don't have kids. Nick continues to hide his real plans by saying his goal is to switch out their dinner and force them to know what the other side eats like. And even though this idea is terrible, Danny loves it. Back at the computer shop, Caitlyn and Santa are working with a high tech computer. When an employee approaches Peter and he keeps saying it like that, their lookout jumps into action. He blocks them in and asks for the bathroom or he'll pee in the aisle, and it works, just as the computer boots up. Peter is the unsung hero of this movie, and when we return to the sleigh, Nick is loving life. He suggests they do it again next year, but Danny notes that Santa will obviously be back by then, but Nick explains head injuries can be serious, you never know, and then they arrive at the mansion, which is as big as Harry Potter School, and as they approach the landing, they lose control of the sleigh. It's been commandeered and they're descending fast. It's Caitlyn at Copy Serve. She's steering them in circles and sending them back to her house. Danny thinks on his toes they should turn off the slay to reboot it and disconnect the hack. It might damage the hard drive, but Nick loves the idea. Once they shut it down, they start a free fall to the ground and can't restart it. By the way, this is how you fix all computer programs. Unplug it, plug it back in. As they panic, they get it to reboot just in time and land in front of again what has to be Hogwarts. And now sat and the kids are depressed outside the computer store, which again is still open. Kitlyn can't believe she had them locked in and then lost control. Santa realizes that Danny is helping his evil uncle and banishes him to the naughty list forever. He may even tell the Easter Bunny about this, But Peter It's great little brother. Peter tries to defend him, and that's becoming more and more difficult to do. Unfortunately, we're now back in the mansion and there's literally people in tuxedos and tiars. Is this is this a weird Christmas Eve party?
Speaker 2: Or is this normal weird Christmas feed party? All right, good, I'm glad that wasn't just me the tiara's.
Speaker 1: I mean, is that your Christmas tiara?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like, you know, I guess you could have kind of like a really fancy Christmas party, But it was the tiaras that were just like.
Speaker 1: Do you own a tiara? An actual tr not a fake one? Like, do you own like a nice tir? Beyond?
Speaker 2: Come, no, I don't.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't sit in the hot time eating steak with a tr on just checking?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I mean, I'm not gonna say I would. Wants funny.
Speaker 1: My wife says the same thing. She's like, god, tirs are so stupid. But I mean, if I were to have.
Speaker 2: One, I know, wear an extra one, she can just like throw wear a tiara. I don't know, I don't know. No, A lot of women, I mean what a lot of women wear them for their wedding, like.
Speaker 1: We t at their wedding.
Speaker 2: Really, I feel like sometimes like tirs are like with like a like part of the veil, Like it's like a beaded kind of Tiara.
Speaker 1: I said Tiara this much in my entire life, and now it just sounds weird.
Speaker 2: No, but yeah, I mean I would love to have a real one. Oh my gosh, that'd be so cool. I just don't know where i'd wear it.
Speaker 1: I guess at Christmas party exactly. So yes. Now we're in the mansion. Nickas frozen a big high society party to steal some jewelry, eventually landing and swiping a massive diamond from Missus Vanderlip, who he also has kiss her cheek, which was weird. Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Danny is traying out the fancy food as this terrible plan plan is taking Place's srinking a plump turkey and replacing it with a store bought underwhelming bird. But when he eventually walks out into the hallway, he stumbles on his uncle. Mesmerized by the diamond, he puts two and two together and calls him out for stealing stuff, using the gold ball to enlarge all the shrunken items in Santa's coat and we get a very cool kind of effect here. Now, with Nick balancing on top of a huge pile of things, including a ferrari at, a piano and a piano and everything else. Nick quickly tries to cover his track, saying he's collecting stuff for charity Bud. Danny shrinks the items back down and knows the truth. It's all been one big scam. Nick changes his tune, now pitting himself as a Robin Hood type, suggesting he cuts his nephew into the deal, but Danny says they're done, not just with Christmas, but their entire relationship. Danny makes his way to the sleigh and his uncle follows close behind. Nick admits he has a cash flow problem and says that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to fix it. He apologizes and pretends nothing is wrong. Then Danny demands they go back home to actually help Santa, and even though Nick pretends it's a good idea, he swipes the gold ball and stays at the mansion. Danny takes off the sleigh and doesn't even say goodbye. Sanna and the Wrigley siblings are on the couch back home, depressed, without any idea how to fix things. Sanna doesn't even know how he'll get home, and that's when they hear a crash outside. Danny has returned. Caitlyn gets to work fixing the crash sleigh because for some reason now Danny couldn't land it when he could the first time. It doesn't make any sense but anyway, but she's not sure what she can help. In time, Danny apologizes to Santa he wasn't trying to steal his sleigh, but Santa doesn't know what to believe. Danny also tries to defend Nick, claiming he was just in over his head, but Santa knows the truth. Nick is a scammer and Danny has been scammed, and that's when Caitlin finally admits defeat. The sleigh's hard drive is fried, and although the computer store was open at eleven, it's now closed at eleven forty on the other side of town. Nick is waiting for the boss, coping with his actions. He thinks Danny will forget all about this in a week, especially when he sends him an expensive gift, but it's obvious that this is affecting him, and that's when the two nerds and Elliot from the beginning of the movie, Remember them, Yeah, Well, they pull up. They're looking for the tracked location of their scammer, Wrigley House. Nick, who is still disguised as Santa, hides his face and lets him drive off, but quickly realizes the kids are now in danger. Then the bus arrives. Santa is having a mental breakdown. It's the first Christmas he'll ever miss, and now he's starting to spiral. Maybe he'll just retire to Florida and work in his tan. This is where he talks about Rudolph rubbing motion a little. He admits he's just depressed. Everything has gone wrong. Oh god, I'm seeing Rudolph in like a little like Italian kind of what a little speedo kind of thing, and he's, oh my god, Yeah, it's awful. It's awful. And I blame Mary, thank you, it's not me, it's them. Yep, everything has gone wrong. And then the Nerds pulling into the driveway looking for Nick. Danny reveals he's not home, but the Nerds don't believe him. They want in the house, and Thug Elliott is willing to go through Santa to make it happen, so Santa steps up, but guess who isn't ticklish? Elliot? Oh, this is a problem, and just as Elliot starts cracking his knuckles, they're interrupted by Uncle Nick. He's now returned, and though he has very expensive items in his bag to pay off the debt, he's not handing him over. The stuff isn't his to give. Maybe he's learned something. He'll be returning it all to their rightful owners, and so Elliot slowly approaches for a butt kicking, but Nick is one step ahead of him and uses the gold ball to shrink him down to an action figure. I thought he was the next step if it wasn't a dcom was he was just gonna crush him under his foot like a little aunt. But he didn't, and with the Golden Ball's power exposed the nerds an Elliot, now back to human size, leave in a hurry. Nick has saved everyone and hugs the kids. Even Santa is impressed when Nick gives him back the gold ball. Caitlyn is touched, but this doesn't fix the sleigh. Peter said it like that again, suggests they use Lappie, and though Nick is hesn't in at first, he allows it and it works. SAA says this is a great first step to rehabilitation for Nick and will return all the stolen items for him. Santa also makes the Wrigley family promise to keep all this a secret, and he emits the whole knotty versus nice thing might not be as black and white as he first thought, and with that, Santa flies away. Later that night, when the Wriggley's parents return home from crying the rain flu, remember that Uncle Nick is asleep on the couch, and John admits he may have been wrong about his brother after all. He even calls the surprise visit his big present this Christmas. The next morning, Uncle Nick is awoken by the family rushing in to see their presence under the tree. He seems to appreciate the love he's seeing, and then Caitlyn finds a present for Uncle Nick. It's the Jimmy Hendricks guitar he always wanted, and the card reads to my favorite naughty boy, Sorry for the delay, but better late than never, Love Santa. The family, completely unaffected by a random gift being under the tree, encourages him to play it, but Nick reveals he won't be keeping it. He has to sell it off to pay his debts, but Danny says, it's not like he's returning it today. Just play it while he can, so Nick puts it around his neck and begins the strum. He's terrible and not of tune at first, but then turns into Eddie van Halen with a superstar riff of jingle bells. The family applause as Danny finally finishes that custom Christmas poem from the start of the movie. The overall thesis is to spend time with your family, whether you're naughty or nice, and Merry Christmas everyone. And that's our movie. Whow I still don't know if.
Speaker 2: I like it or not.
Speaker 1: I honestly don't.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Wilfred Dell and Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: From the podcast Magical Rewind and we have a very special guest on this week's episode. He's the mastermind behind some of your favorite movies like Hocus Pocus, Newsy's The Descendants, and of course High School Musical. Yes, it is the one and only a living legend director Kenny or Tega.
Speaker 2: We sit down with Kenny to talk about his incredible career and the legacy he's created with his choreography and films.
Speaker 1: You seriously will not want to miss this one.
Speaker 2: Listen to Magical Rewind on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Hi, it's Jenny Garth, host of the I Choose Me podcast. This week, I'm so excited to welcome my friend Gabrielle carteris the Andrea Zuckerman from Beverly Hills nine o two ONOH to the pod.
Speaker 5: We're choosing to get real.
Speaker 2: I applied to the networks about my age in contracts. They never would have hired me if they had my age.
Speaker 5: We're choosing to be honest.
Speaker 2: She looked at me, and she said, this business is about the mask, which you have.
Speaker 5: Neither of, and we're choosing to get nostalgic.
Speaker 6: Listen to I Choose Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Final reviews. Let's do some real reviews. Please, here we go. I have the five stars. I'm very excited, and it's by our old friend who named h This is a great television film. I love the concept of Santa being able to stop time, not only as a gimmick for the plot, it's also the only thing that could explain how Santa does everything he does in just one night, and it would explain why nobody sees him. I mean, that's it, That's how he does it. Thank you movie five stars. He's not wrong or not is not wrong.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: He got Sabrina, I got.
Speaker 2: The one star. And this might be one of my favorite names user names of that we've had one star review by you talking to Me three forty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: It's good this movie, but the whole Disney company to shame Santa is very soft, dull and stupid. Also, you may notice when the people are frozen, you can see them shaking.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: A few bucks could edit that you're talking to me three forty five is not wrong.
Speaker 1: It is not right.
Speaker 2: You could it didn't make sense. Well did they do that?
Speaker 1: It didn't. And now we are approaching Sabrina's favorite part of the program.
Speaker 2: That is, of course it's actually starting to because I say it, because I'm getting better and better.
Speaker 1: You're loving it. We've got I wonder what our record is at this point, but you've been killing it lately. But this one is called poetry in motion pictures. Oh on Wordswas the Night is a rare movie that was based on a poem, but it's not the only one. We'll be given a movie title and we'll have to guess what was based on a poem or not. You got a fifty to fifty shot here in three out of five wins?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Number one? Was Little Women a poem or not? Sabrina, Yes, is it a poem? I thought it's just a book.
Speaker 2: I know it was a book, but did the book start with the poem? Who are we playing with?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: That's why it's a good question. Who's with us today?
Speaker 2: You got producer MICHAELA Hey, he's good luck.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go. I think Little Women's just a book. I don't think it's a poem.
Speaker 2: Really, I don't know poem.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say book.
Speaker 2: It's not a poem, damn right.
Speaker 1: Number two Brave Heart, which is one of the funniest movies to watch because I love it so much, but it's one after another of just horrible problems in the movie. My new favorite one that I just bought it is there in the scene in the woods and they're all from Scotland in the thirteen hundreds and literally in the background with all the actors. Just a dude in a baseball hat just walked by, like somebody from the crew. It's great. Oh you see airplanes in it. There's it's just are you serious? It is considered the most historically inaccurate film of all time, like to the point where kilts weren't even a thing at that point in Scotland. Oh, it's great, it's great. But yeah, no, they're wonderful. But anyway, Braveheart based on a poem. I think it is a poem. I think it's about William Wallace.
Speaker 2: I think it is will is correct, it is a poem.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. Number three over here dangerous Liaisons.
Speaker 2: Sure, poem.
Speaker 1: I think it's a book.
Speaker 2: It is not a poem.
Speaker 1: You are for three.
Speaker 2: I can't even win at this point.
Speaker 1: Number four Troy poem or not a poem?
Speaker 2: Definitely a poem.
Speaker 1: It is a poem. It's based on the Iliad by Homer.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, Number five Mulan Oh I won, by the way, for the record, But yu was mulan a poem or not a poem?
Speaker 2: I could see it being a poem because.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's a Yes, you.
Speaker 2: Guys are corrected to I went five for five. You did well.
Speaker 1: Myself on the back. Can we do a Sabrina C's please.
Speaker 2: We can. I'm gonna start off with this one, and I feel kind of bad about it. This isn't necessarily a dig on like the acting. But we really didn't talk about Peter.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't want to.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna talk about the acting. What I'm gonna say is I wish that they had actually it felt it felt a lot like Ocus Focus, where we talked about the word the voice coming out of the actor is not the this is I felt the same situation. I wish because I did like his character. I wish they actually cast somebody who was very young, like younger, because he was playing, Yeah, he was playing it's so young, you know. He was like the way he was like using his words and stuff felt like a little little kid.
Speaker 1: Do you think that was an act or do you think that was him? I think that was him because that was an act. If that was an act, then he's a genius.
Speaker 2: I thought he that's that was an act. I really I was saying, if they or regardless, if they liked how young his voice sounds, which would have been fine had he been younger to me, and so he threw me anytime he had a part in the movie kind of threw me off that I started to kind of go, yeah, it just didn't make sense.
Speaker 1: It also, I think being next to the other kids who were so good, so good. I mean, Josh was great. But again I can't get over the girl who I gotta find her name, the girl who played Caitlyn, because I kept going back to her, like, man, she's she's damn good.
Speaker 2: And it was crazy for me that she wasn't all over the channel. She was like a pure yep, perfect Disney kid.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Brenda Great. By the way, it's her name, Brenda Great, Brenda.
Speaker 2: Great, I be she was that she had done more stuff on the channel.
Speaker 1: She's known for Twas the Night as Caitlin, and she was in Tarzan two.
Speaker 2: Ask oh, okay, and that's it.
Speaker 1: I think so yeah, But she was Disney. Yeah, she was a Disney kid.
Speaker 2: Moving on, that velcro wallet got me. Did you have one of those?
Speaker 1: Yes? I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: I had so many of them. I loved those things. Those velcro Well, there was nothing better than the feel and the sound of a velcro wallet before you pulled out your cash, you had it.
Speaker 1: Susan. Susan does not allow Velcrow anywhere in the house. She thinks it's a cheat. So velcrow shoes or velcro. She's like, no, no, we don't. We don't do velcro in this house. No, Belcrow.
Speaker 2: That's that's an interesting thing. I might need to I might need to dive into her psyche, Like I have to ask you about this because, by the way, I live with Belcrow. With my kids, I'm not tying their shoes.
Speaker 1: Oh no, She's like, you're going to learn that. She's like kids, She's like, that's a cheat. You're gonna learn to tie your shoes.
Speaker 2: It's not for them. It's not for them. It's for me. For them, but those there's no there's no way for me to even double knot that. Ledger can't undo like he is, so he'll.
Speaker 1: Hole or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: He'll sit there in his car seat and just get it until he finally gets that thing out. Anyway, Okay, Lappy killed me. That name of his computer killed me. I just I felt like it was like, I don't know, it gave.
Speaker 1: Me the I know what you mean. It's it's such a it's such a basic trope. Yes, where it's like, hey, this is my favorite shoe shoey Like it's like, you know, okay, that's I get it. Like they should have named it something else, like chuck something so weird.
Speaker 2: Yes, but Laughy was like I don't know it just I yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: First of all, I love the little Easter egg of Splash Mountain, like this is its Splash Mountain.
Speaker 1: He didn't you hear that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he mentioned it at some point when they're in the sleigh. Then the next thing happens, which was so weird. The soup in the hands when he's got like the dinner and he's holding it in his hands while there, and then the sleigh starts free falling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where does it go?
Speaker 2: Because he's holding on for dear life and then he picked it back up. I thought you were you would like fully be annoyed with that because it was like you can't lose it, or you lose it forever and it's gone.
Speaker 1: It was weird, you know, it was weird.
Speaker 2: And then though second to last thing is okay, I thought you were gonna say this too. The last time the like villain nerves right, see him go, he's in a Santa suit at a bus stop and he jumps on the bus. That's the last time they see him. Then the next time they see him, he's at a bus stop in a Santa suit. How were they not, Like.
Speaker 1: I don't they know he's somewhere around just the one, the one villain was supposed to have seen him in the Santa suit, but he didn't see him get on the bus. I don't think. I think that's how they were trying to shoot it. Okay, yeah, I think that that was Like, no, no, I get it. It's still the last thing.
Speaker 2: What was with all the knuckle cracking at this movie?
Speaker 1: There was a lot of knuckle cracked, because that's how you show you're a bad guy.
Speaker 2: How do you show you're a bad guy? And I've never understood that. Why your knuckles tough? No, I don't crack at all, No, not at all. She also his little sister cracks her knuckles when she's getting serious about yeah.
Speaker 1: Because that's like the whole that's like the that's like the I'm prepared, Yes, there you go. I'm either going to beat you up arms.
Speaker 2: God, there was just so much, too much anyway, that's it for Sabrina.
Speaker 1: Says, well, thank you, and now it's time to rate our film. God, I don't even know I'm gonna rate this movie. I don't know. I still don't know what I think. But anyway, let's do one to ten. Okay, let's make five the middle they there, you go, like, we can do one to ten bomb Uncle Nick's Sweety Decom, Little Brothers. One to ten, Santa's taking a dump, don't pick that one. One to ten Reindeer Flues, Gray Killer Bees, Santa Gang Fights, one to ten twenty four hour computer shops except for the one hour that they needed to be open when it wasn't one of ten Hogwart homes or one out of ten Vanderlip Diamonds. What do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Reindeer flu We gotta do it.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be gotta be I think first last time.
Speaker 2: I'm okay to go first this time. So, like I said, I was so in. I love Christmas movies. I loved the creativity of something that I've never seen done before, as far as explaining how Santa actually can fly around the world and get all of the kids their presence for Christmas within such a short period. I loved that, and then it again, like I said, it kind of just plataued, And I feel like for me it plataued around the time we saw the Gangsters and the low Ride.
Speaker 1: It was just kind of like weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now the choices are feeling weird. And then for sure at the end, just the he comes back. I guess I was like looking for like some fist throwing or something. I don't know, like there was like nothing really like that about how the movie ended for me. And then really, oh, that was one of this. I didn't write it down. The guitar playing at the end weird. It I found it weird. I don't know if well. First of all, I wanted to ask you, did you feel like it was good guitar playing? Like does he know how to play? Is that a thing like he's a guitar guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess able to do that. But it didn't look good. The fake guitar playing didn't look good. It was a very odd choice.
Speaker 2: Well, I meant like that's what I was saying. Was it good? Did it look good? I don't know what it goes bike. I don't know what good guitar playing looks like or not.
Speaker 1: I can't, Well, you do you do know that the one we saw in poof points point that was bad.
Speaker 2: Guitar, I was I could tell that that was bad. This I felt.
Speaker 1: I bought it. It just seemed weird.
Speaker 2: Like I said, like the end of the movie was just kind of like but it started off so strong. So and because I feel like the actors they really did drive it for a lot of it. I'm gonna just sit on a six point five reindeer flues. It was not a great movie. It wasn't a terrible movie. It was just kind of like right in the middle.
Speaker 1: For me. I think I'm gonna be kind of right there with you. I agree with everything he said. I love I mean love Brian Cranston. Love some of the lore they added to Santa Claus, to the character. I was cool. I do like cause again, if he hung out with them all night long, essentially Santa's there for like four or five hours, right and can still get everybody in the world their gifts right near to me. Yeah, so I didn't. I mean, I guess he has to freeze time. I don't know, the not not actually freezing the frame and everybody like shaky is just a strange choice.
Speaker 2: Just a crazy choice.
Speaker 1: There was no real resolution. The movie just kind of ends. Any Maybe I won't steal anymore. Yeah, I'm gonna go a little lower than you, but not much. I'm gonna give this a six Reindeer Flues. I just I didn't. I still don't know if I might have hated this movie. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think you hated it.
Speaker 1: I don't think. Again, I can't had this been anyone but Brian Cranston, this is what I would have been. This would have been at four or three. But it's Brian Cranston. So it's like, I'm gonna I'm gonna give three spots just because it's Brian Cranston. And again, the other kids weren't bad. Josh was not bad, Josh was good. The sister was great. Yeah, it was it just the story at times didn't make a whole lot of sense. But it's Christmas, so six and a six point five are pretty fair. Yeah. Uh, And now we get to announce our next movie, which I'm very very excited about because it brings us somewhere we very rarely go, and that's current day. We're gonna be watching, so our producers can't stand these people. They hate they hate this trio. They hate this trio like you have never heard. But we're gonna be watching. I'm lying.
Speaker 2: By the way, the west one has literally known this trio since the beginning of their careers, and the other would do anything in the world to marry any one of them even matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, we got I'm guessing this is MICHAELA who wrote pick Double Teamed over this movie. And you know what, so would I? Oh, double better than this? Okay, they even know what I rated Double Team. I don't even know what. I don't even remember what I read it too. No, I didn't give it a two, but it was I Yes, this movie Double Teams was better than this movie. But it's Brian Cranston. Put Brian Cranston in Double Teamed. Oh my god, forget it. If he's both twins, he's both twins. Forget it? Best movie ever? Yes, but back to the movie. Yes, it's the twenty twenty five holiday release, a very Jonas Christmas movie. This just dropped on Disney Plus and marks the return of Nick, Joe and Kevin to the original Disney movie. And it's got a bigger budget than we're used to. That is for darn sure. So go watch it and follow La la La La La. Come back next week and we'll find out what we thought. But first we've got a pretty cool park Opper episode which we teased, and by teased, I mean told you exactly who's coming on. We interviewed the first Jesse Pinkman of Twas the Night. It's Josh Zuckerman aka Danny Wrigley. We talked all about his time working alongside Brian Cranston and helping to save Christmas. Let's get a little preview of what you're in for. Brian christ was probably already cast, okay, and so probably said that I didn't meet, but I didn't meet anyone. It wasn't like I did a chemistry read or anything. I'm pretty positive I meant everyone. And yeah, we definitely filmed in Toronto and probably had a table readed and that's where I met everyone, and including Yeah, you know, I may have auditioned with Nick Castle though. He was super cool and it was a lot of fun to talking him and we got to talk about so many of his projects. Oh my god, you you won't be a Yeah, absolutely shocked to go on IMDb. This guy, he's been in freaking everything. It's really amazing. But yes, that's gonna be available on our dedicated feed this week. So all you have to do is search for a Magical Rewind on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more info, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine, on your telephone cranker thing. You can go and do that now, Thanks everybody, goodbye bye