Speaker 1: Al Zome Media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Better Offline. I'm your host ed Zittron, otherwise known today as Woke Joe Rogan. Good. We are live kind of from the iHeartRadio studios in New York. Today. I am joyed by mister Mobile himself, Michael Fisher, and of course Alex Krantz from The Verge.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming, thanks for having to be here, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: So today is about where the magic's gone in tech. Got two great tech journalists with me and I myself have done some writing on tech, I guess and the Big Thing. And this kind of started actually from a conversation between you and me, Michael, where it was about kind of like what are we even looking at in tech anymore? Why things aren't fun? Like what like it feels like we've stopped getting the most fun thing I have found is I'm actually gonna pull it out in my pocket and there's no video, so you're never gonna know. Like this anchor charge, it's like thirty bugs. I mean, that's a sick no. Like battery packs are cool, but otherwise everything that comes out that's meant to be exciting, like the Humane pin and the Rabbit are one which obviously we're bad from the beginning. Sorry anyone who thought otherwise, you were wrong, And like the Daylight tablet, which will get to of course, these things just have turned out to be just not even fun, not you can be kind of shitty, but fun, like there's something you can look at. Even some of the great tech failures, like that weird frame that you could upload things to from like twenty to fifteen, like a few of these weird Indiegogo things, there was a cute weirdness to it, but now it's just almost just nothing.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of reasons for that.
Speaker 4: There are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like there are like a lot of compounding problems that have like that have deposited us here today. But I will say that I think that there are some of those examples you gave are still could have been fun. I think I think Rabbit is still trying to like salvage the situation and make it, say any work. But I mean, and I think you know, it took it took a giant swing, which was this this thing that we've learned I think you shouldn't do at this point, which is try to replace the smartphone call the smartphone the enemy and say we're going to replace it with this wearable thing. And when you deliver a product that's so undercooked, I think that's the problem, Like when I undercook can't even get there.
Speaker 3: And I think also just everybody's in this big quest to beat the smartphone, right, Like everybody wants to make the next smartphone so they can make all the money the way Apple did, and what is it? And so they're all like, throw it at the wall? Is this it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Even like you, I mean, I think you're right when you say, like the rabbit and you look at these AI devices and stuff where there feels like there's sort of a mus cynicism. Yeah, to these products where you're like, oh, you're just out here to make money. There's not like something fun and exciting here. Like the Daylight Computer is a good example. They're like, yeah, we're going to you know, make computing black and.
Speaker 2: White, just just for the listeners. You might not know about it. Can you describe the day loge?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Daylight Computer.
Speaker 1: You just reviewed it, right, Yeah, I just came off the back of it. Yeah. It's like I think I called it an ordinary Android tablet with an extraordinary display, because the special thing about it is the display. And David Pierce said, you know, yeah, like he thinks, uh, this is this is a display company. This isn't necessarily a consumer product.
Speaker 2: But what is it though?
Speaker 3: It's like an LCD display that only does black and white.
Speaker 1: Correct, And the special thing is that it has a fast refresh rate that makes it very smooth. So when you're manipulating it, it's like using a black It's like using an iPad from the Fallout world, yeah right, where it's also is Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like using an e ink Android tablet if the e ink could go fast, right.
Speaker 2: That's why I was excited about it. So what's bad about it?
Speaker 3: I mean the problem for me, fundamentally, I've used a lot of Android e Ink tablets. I'm a nerd about these things, and fundamentally the problem is they're built for black and white, which is cool. The Internet isn't. Oh so you're like, Okay, I'm going to download this app, I can't see any of the buttons.
Speaker 2: Cool, So they just did not prepare for people use the device.
Speaker 3: You can like, I mean.
Speaker 1: That's true of the of those e readers. No, that that is true, but I think daylight. Like to their credit, they have come out and said, look, we don't want color. You know, it's this very granola very like if you watch the coverage of the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen I've seen the Instagram ads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and like that is their pitch, that is their whole thing is like, your screen is too colorful and too addictive, and you should you should be able to use your tablet outside in in daylight, and it should function as you expect. You should be able to do whatever you want. But at the end of the day, ideally you're not, as you know, drawn into this vortex of of of TikTok end list feeds because you know, you don't want to watch YouTube on it. You do someone the reading delivery, right, which which is a whole industry now, isn't it right?
Speaker 3: Like the light phone is another example where people are just like, what if we took all the cool capabilities of your phone and then like turned off a bunch of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen the ads for that, that weird phone where it's like, oh, we we block out all the things you use your phone for, so the thing that you wouldn't use your phone. It's just very confusing, and I love posting. I love looking at my phone ninety two hours a way.
Speaker 3: You are an online.
Speaker 2: I will die if I don't go online. But also it doesn't feel like any of these companies. Same thing with Rabbit, same thing with Daylight. It doesn't feel like they've actually talked to a person, like an actual person, like a normal person, someone who uses Facebook and Instagram to talk to their friends or get a I spam and someone who has like a regular job, someone who isn't in tech at all, and just said what do you think? And then when that person said, I don't know, why do I have this? What do I do? They should have gone, oh shit, I shouldn't have released it. But it doesn't. It doesn't feel what Rabbit I think is a separate thing because I think they're fully cynical. I think that they just.
Speaker 1: Don't give a shit. It has to be held out separately.
Speaker 2: Out Daylight. It almost feels like they just focus the simple people who chose to Well, but you were you said there was there was something cynical about it, So yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think for me, like I said, I've used a lot of similar tablets to this. So when they reached out and were like, hey, we have this device. It's it's electronic paper. And they're very careful of saying electronic paper, not eat ink, because that's like an actual branded thing and eat ink will descend from the heavens to just slap you down if you use it inappropriately. And they said they're eat ink, and they they said they were electronic paper, really cool refresh rate, and they wanted to like do this whole daylight thing and the warm light stuff, and I thought all of it. I think the warm light stuff is very unproven science. That is just what is where It's like, the idea is if you look at an orange light before you go to bed, that'll make you sleepy. Blue light wakes you up and makes you just wasn't the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was bad timing for daylight for sure because required came out with that thing. It's like, yeah, like, all these studies are not conclusive and also some new ones have proven very cool. Yeah, It's just.
Speaker 3: Like and so that's also right, it's eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: That's the problem for me. So here's the thing I don't think the CEO is I had some time to talk to the CEO and I in a vacuum in absentia. I kind of was like, this guy's got to be a Charlatan, right, he's got to be gone for a cash grab.
Speaker 2: What he is?
Speaker 1: What my takeaway was is that no, he's he's a he's a display nerd who really cares about making this particular kind.
Speaker 2: Of display tex.
Speaker 1: He looks and the display is cool, and they like, they didn't take an off the shelf component from Sharp, which I also thought, and stuff it into a white label Android tablet, which is what I thought they did.
Speaker 3: Like this is that it's Android, but the hardware is they built?
Speaker 2: But did they make an effort with the software?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The thing is that the devices they see that you know, it's it's early. And this is the thing we complain about with almost every product where it's like, yeah, well this is just Niagara Lundren top of Android. But we have all these ideas. I'm like, great delivery ideas before I have a press like, aren't you It's very frustrating.
Speaker 2: I wish I could do that with the bank. Yeah, I've got the money this month, However, right I will one day and I'll have lots of it. Well, I mean that's how I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: That's it called a credit card. And then the understanding is, okay, you have to pay extra because you borrowed it. Whereas these companies are like, hey, give us your money. We're gonna give you a product. It's not going to be a good product, but if you just wait, and I'm like, no, you can pay me bad product, pay me to wait, pay me to wait, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the uncertain thing for me is like, it's the price. The thing that for Daylight, if Daylight was down at at you know, two hundred and three hundred bucks, three hundred four hundred, put that in a premium and I'm like, look, okay, it's an intentional product for a very specific market and and that's that's great. So I hit them on that a lot. I was like, you've got to make me understand why this is seven hundred and twenty nine dollars and to hear them tell it, it's the work that went into the display, plus the tiny you know, minimum water quantities they have to they have to hit.
Speaker 3: So it's like so it's basically, bitch, you gotta eat.
Speaker 1: No. No, it's like to make it, maybe gonna make a big margin on each tablet. That's the thing they're like they are No, I assume that at least with that from the factory.
Speaker 3: They just put in a lot of effort. And these things are much more expensive to make than they have, which one.
Speaker 1: I can see that side of it now, Like I'm on clicked, like I've gotten some experience with that, and I'm like, okay, I get it. I don't know if it's true. I'm not. I don't know enough to know. No, eight hundred dollars, Yeah, that's right. Yeah, today the click i phone is now a thousand dollars accessory.
Speaker 2: Listeners at home. So Michael is using this case on his on his iPhone. It's called a click size. It is clicks for iPhone phone and this allows you to type with your with your figure a nice click.
Speaker 3: To it, got a little keyboard.
Speaker 2: What does that cost?
Speaker 1: This is one twenty nine or excuse me, one thirty nine or one like it? I do like it. And I'm not just saying that because I am I so founder. I'm very biased.
Speaker 2: You can't trust me, God damn it. So the thing is with something like that is it actually feels useful because people type stuff on their phone. Sometimes I'm just like fucking around with that. Actually that's the word thing, it's they feel like less fun things to fuck around with these days, and that's something even like CS for years has been like this. Everything. I'm sure next year is just gonna be all AI again, but even the years before it felt like they were less fun things. There's the kind of exterior ring of security camera, toilet light and dildo companies or from China, and they're raasally they're called like the Shengzong Chang zong Dong romance company and they sell eleven different products, many batteries, and they're all the very nice people. Then you've got like the cat litter company that always turns up. You've got the Wi Fi grail company that always turns in, that one folding machine, the one folding machine that will never launch. But even then the folding machine are kind of like that. It's like a folksy dumb product that will never launch. But otherwise it's like where's the magic, Like when was the last time we had something fun?
Speaker 3: Even I mean, i CES is a weird one because it is so I think most of the people coming there are coming to sell things in American markets, right, and if you don't need that, if you sell online, you don't necessarily need to go to cees and have that big presence. Because you don't. You can just sell directly to the consumer. You can just skip it. And we see that with stuff like like the stuff I'm really into right now is I in Ao I think is how you say it, which is like a gaming console.
Speaker 1: It looks like a giant sidekick, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: About one. It's called the I in Ao. It's a y A n eo. I'm absolutely malacring the name A y A n eo. The flip ds and this thing is the dumbest, most fun thing I've used in a while. It's like a steam Deck. But if the steam Deck ran on Windows and therefore sucked.
Speaker 2: Two screens, why do you enjoy it?
Speaker 3: I think I like it because it's different. It's doing something new, and there's like like, Okay, the software is garbage, but that's kind of their fault because it's hard to do software, and like you shouldn't launch things with garbage software. Steam Deck it's fine, but it's also cool because like there's like it's just got a good display. There's like a really good thought behind it, and it's like, you know what, there's gonna be people who really really like this thing and are going to have fun with it, and it's mainly gonna be nerds who want to play Nintendo DS ROMs. Yeah, and I'm like, yes, cool, I want.
Speaker 2: That feels like the first weird thing I've heard of in it while other than like the Rabbit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the ones that become a success are like almost unavoidably not as weird. Like the thing that jumps to my mind was, what's the last time I was really impressed by something that I kept after the review period or bought after the review period. It was the Meta ray bands. It's like, wow, oh my god. They stuff really good speakers yeah, and a really and a pretty good camera into sunglasses and a bunch of AI stuff that you really shouldn't talk about, but yeah, it's like it's it's a really great accessory I've heard good.
Speaker 3: Thing because they just they just work like on the train a lot, yeah, and it just sounds good and like everybody in the train car gets to listen to my music with me. But then I sound really good on phone call, so I don't.
Speaker 2: Care how you can use some vocals. Yeah, so that's vergin on useful.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely extremely useful. Except for Meta.
Speaker 2: They make that.
Speaker 3: They made it because they have like Meta has this big vision for AR and VR, right, so they have they have the whole the quest and all of that junk, and then they were like, well, we need to do AR stuff and we need to start normalizing what AR is going to look like. So we're going to start with.
Speaker 2: These glasses so you can't see anything in them, you can't.
Speaker 3: Know and so it's all audio. Bos was doing this a couple of years ago. There's a few people who have done this, and it's like, you know, when BOS did it was a stupid concept and even the first set of ray bands were really stupid. And then this time the quality was just good enough where you're like, okay, I get it now. How much of those they're like two fifty or something?
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, between two and three hundred and something.
Speaker 3: They're fairly. It's one of those things where you're like, I just got paid, I don't got any bills, do anytime soon, Let's do.
Speaker 1: This, And they actually accomplished something that like a lot of these AI companies that we've touched on earlier, have tried to do and sort of failed to do, which is get you out of your phone. So for me, I don't know. Well, I'm a stupid influencer videot like thirty percent of the time it's just bad. But like I'm firing up the camera, right, That's why I got my phone out, just to use the camera for something. Yeah, and when you have a camera built into your glasses, you can just literally hit a button on it.
Speaker 2: And how the lens that you're looking at, well the human and I is thirty five millimere right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no I don't know what. I don't remember what the spect what the perspective is.
Speaker 3: Like, it's weird because it's off because.
Speaker 2: Of New York Times. He does lovely videos of him cooking using them. Oh Tony, he's got his berman's mount and dog. But Bruno love Yeah, and he'll be like talking to Bruno and like making stuff. He's got his name. That's fun. I actually really enjoy that stuff. It feels bad the meta is doing it though, like the idea, but also how it feels also weird that meta made something good. I'm just very confused because all right. The VR stuff with Quest, I know we're like ment to like most people like, oh Quest is good. It isn't good. I'm sorry. I'm very sorry. Casey, my very close friend, Casey's gonna hear it's gonna get pissed off and get a signal message the Quest's fine. But even the new one, I still get sick. Yeah, I still feel weird. It still doesn't go on my face.
Speaker 3: Right. That's why they did the glasses is because they know there's there's.
Speaker 2: Kind of glasses.
Speaker 3: I'm coming back to the glasses because they like they did they did these headsets and everybody was like, oh wait, this is not the future for AR and VR. People look stupid. Like I saw my nephew come Like one day, I went over and I'm visiting. I'm saying hi to everybody. I'm like, oh, where is he And they're like, oh, he's upstairs. And I go upstairs and there's just a little kid all alone in a room, like wagging the sticks around. And that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Like I wanted to give like I wanted to give him a wedgie, right, And I'm like, that's that's a bad response. For an aunt, just like put my hand in my pocket and walk away. And and but that's the way it is for everybody. And so they're like, Okay, we got to do these glasses because if we do these glasses, then that won't be as dumb and stupid looking.
Speaker 1: And I should just give a shout out to a company that not a lot of people remember, and I bet you do, but we remember Focals by North.
Speaker 2: I wonder the name. I don't remember what they did.
Speaker 1: They shipped a pair of glasses that were very like they were a little chunk here. They were obviously something a little a little off about these glasses. Horrible display, but no, but they had a display, and when you put them on your face, all of a sudden, what materialized in your vision was a little trom like heads up display and you could see your text messages from your phone. You could get drive driving directions, term by turn directions, little points of interest things, and it was like it was appearing in your eyeball. Of course, it was very strange because when you're talking to somebody you'd see it. They'd look kind of above your eyebrow, and then you'd be like, are you are you checking your messages while.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to you.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's where you get the sunglass version, right.
Speaker 1: But like, this was a great idea. The technology was very fascinating, and then, as often happens, they were purchased by Google, and Google either mismanaged it or killed it, and.
Speaker 2: It killed it probably both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just brutal, I mean, and that was the last time I felt like we were on the cusp of maybe the next chapter of Personal Mobile Computer.
Speaker 2: I yeah, Google Glass look cool. I never got to play with it. And I think Robert Scobel has done a lot of bad things, But that weird picture of him in the shower I genuinely of the show. So list there's a really disgusting fellow called Robert Scobull, famous for reasons I'm not actually sure. He kisses up to Elon Musk now wants to marry his tesla. I believe I haven't really checked that fact and its opinions, so you can't sue me. So Robert Scobel took a picture wearing his Google Glass while what looks like screaming in the shower, and I mean, just.
Speaker 3: A lot of people talked about that photo.
Speaker 2: It was very the inverse of pornography. But that moment was really unfortunate because Google Glass was too expensive and all that, and I don't think anyone should have ever looked at it as the future arriving that day. But the idea of a heads up displays cool. I think heads up displays a cool think. Yeah, I don't agree with thee. We need to get away from our phone's thing. What we need is better society so that it's worth looking away. Sam, that's the actual This is an escapism. We made a tool to escape from the world. It rules kind of ripping off Paris marks from tech one save us there. He made a similar point about the vision pro to distract us from real life, which is a bit much, but he's not totally off Boom. It's weird like heads up displays feel like a future. I don't know if it's the big capital T, but that's a way that they could be useful while getting us away from constantly staring. Because there are times where I'd like to walk through New York City and just listen to music but also know where I'm going because I don't ever and heads up display would be good. But it's almost like they shouldn't be trying for fifteen years, that they need to get to a completely different level of chip plus display plus everything else and then do it really well.
Speaker 3: It's just because they are all so desperate to be the next iPhone hyper like, like I love you know, I think everybody in this room currently has an iPhone. They're they're they're very good devices. Yeah, and everybody wants to be the next one because then they get the thirty percent lock in they get. They just all just cultural cachet. Yeah, it just makes you the next big thing. And so Meta has been doing that. Google has been doing that poorly. Uh, Samsung, you know a lot of these people do it, and they all fail at it because the text is not there yet, right, Like glasses, You're not gonna get glasses until you have actually good displays. They can also pass.
Speaker 2: Through and can turn off and make way with you.
Speaker 3: And most importantly, that you don't look stupid wearing yes, Like, if I want to give you a widge Weggie, you've you've lost the plot. And I'm I'm liberal with the Wedgies. So actually it's like a fact room the urge.
Speaker 2: So with my song glasses on the entire time. You would have to know, but I would, Well, then there is half they take them off by the second pat.
Speaker 1: You gonna get some of the details of the flames on.
Speaker 3: Them, well guy Fieri moment.
Speaker 2: So it feels like augmented reality is at least where there could be fun now. Yeah, but it feels like it's not twenty seven twenty fifteen when they had that weird burst of them. It feels like they've all stepped back for it, which sucks because it feels like we actually need R and D money there.
Speaker 1: Ye, yes, because I feel like that's the thing. The point you were just making, Alex, is that the technology needs to catch up to the aspiration, right, And we've seen a lot of the stemo and again the most promising one got bought and killed. Yeah, and I've never seen anything get close.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think the ray bands are close, and they're planning apparently to put a lot more like invest a lot more there, right Like they just this week I think did a whole reorg the week we're recording this, did a whole reorg of this of the meta division. And so they're like Oculus, you go over here and you go over like an under an ad sales guy who I don't remember the name, and then the ray bands. They're like, Okay, this is like this is our focus. They've they've got plans for some glasses the next couple of years that are like much more involved. We've heard like Google bought Vocal and we haven't heard anything there and so it could be dead. But also like everybody's talking about AR right now, so it feels like maybe they're coming back.
Speaker 2: I think that. So I had an episode about this rock calm bubble. Yeah, well, I think what they're doing right now is freaking out because they don't have and they all want to be the next iPhone. But what they realize is there is no next iPhone right now. Yep, there is no next Google or Facebook or anything.
Speaker 3: So they're chasing AI.
Speaker 2: That's the chasing AI. But come on, come on.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you've done a very good job in the past three weeks, so demonstrating on this very show why AI is not as exciting.
Speaker 2: But that's a good point to bring up.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: How do you two feel about AI?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel I'll say this details with what you were just saying, I the company are not the only ones desperate for the next iPhone. I am desperate anytime again. Pierce, you know, wrote that little blurb about, you know, the season of AI gadgets is here before any of the Humane and Rabbit stuff came out, and I was like crossing my fingers as somebody who covers the stuff and as somebody who has loved the stuff for as long as I can remember. I love the excitement of new things coming out and introducing new possibilities, and I feel like the AI. I have an increasingly severe grudge against the AI bubble, the hype cycle for raising my hopes actually putting some pretty cool hardware in my head. Say what you want about the Humane payment. That hardware rocks and then absolutely cutting its legs out from under it because most of its functionality is based on an LLM that you can't trust because it tells you the sun is going to set forty minutes ago at eleven in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think like AI is. You know, I'm super excited about Apple Intelligence, mainly because I'm going to be able to make the best ship posts to send my friends because you can do image generation and it's hideous, it's terrible looking, and I'm so excited to just troll people. But otherwise, like you know, AI is one of those things, like we've built lying machines, and as far as large language models go, they're really bad at it, to the point where Tim Cook's like, well, I wouldn't say one hundred percent get it right, And I believe that's actually a bad thing you to say, dude. And everybody's saying that because they're like, don't worry about it, don't worry about it. I Meanwhile, the researchers are like, actually, language models aren't the thing. Don't you should worry about it. But everybody's like, but we can make money now, and so we can't well.
Speaker 2: Jenson Wong wang when he's not serving PC gamers like me. But that's the thing though, That's something he was saying that Michael was actually kind of the impetus of us being here today. Something in this show that people say, people say about me all the time is oh, you're just a pessimist, you and all this stuff. I love this shit. Do you know how excited I am when I get a new dumb gadget I can mess around. You've got a charger, I right here, anchor charger. I'm so excited. I got two, so I've got redundancy. So happy with that stuff. I love my little gizmos and gadgets. I love this stuff, and I haven't really had anything to The steam deck was the last time I was really like excited for and then excited after. Yeah, and kind.
Speaker 3: Of the vision pro oh interesting, but it's.
Speaker 2: Like there's always a but, and the butt is usually Yeah. But the people who made it, they didn't really give it to real people. Yeah, they gave it to a focus group and it was a McKinsey one, so three quarters of them were paid to say whatever they wanted to hear and the rest didn't turn up. And it's just frustrating because there was a time I think it's just love the rock kombabb but there was a twenty year period and we've got new stuff, new stuff, new stuff. Even the bad stuff was kind of funny. Yeah, even all this dorky indieg Go bullshit, like the Coolest Cooler which had a speaker at a margerite. You knew that was never gonna work, but you kind of enjoyed them try. And then they scammed a bunch of people. That was also bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you stopped getting fun, like there wasn't something to look forward to. But the vision pro reason I brought it up is my first hour with it was so exciting, and then I realized that I had like light bleeding in so I started fucking with it and I couldn't get it on right, and I spent like another hour trying to make it work, and it just turned out that like I didn't have the right size thing, which dramatically improved it, and I was using it fairly often. I'm like, this is not there yet, but this is different and cool and watching movies on its great.
Speaker 2: Then I tried to watch on a plane, how'd that go? I got a migrant and I have yet to finish June. People say this and Ultimore or whatever it is from that to me all the time, but it's it's very strange because it almost doesn't feel like anyone's trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well go ahead.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, like, the VR thing is a weird one because it is so dependent on the person, right, Like I had a friend who also just recently did a cross country flight, wore their vision pro, watched June and June two. Nice back to back and they were they.
Speaker 2: Loved it, absolute legends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whereas you would have presumably thrown up everywhere and.
Speaker 2: They would My head just felt like it would explode it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh and and and that's just because like your your vestibular response is totally different than their vestibular response, and it's that's what's gonna happen there. And that's why VR is a dead end. And that's why Meta now has like been like you go over here, we tried.
Speaker 2: It watchful hand of Baz, Yeah, we did that.
Speaker 3: What was it the Meta Quest pro was that?
Speaker 2: Was that the one where they had the Pro one they canceled?
Speaker 3: Yeah, where they released it and everybody's like this is garbage and they're like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, they released it. I think what it was was they released it at the same time as the Quest two, which was like three hundred four hundred bucks. People like, this is pretty good. Yeah, Like the expectations were low, and they're like, but what if you paid fourteen hundred dollars for something that wasn't as good? Yeah, but it was more powerful?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and that's you were saying a second ago, like it doesnt feel like people trying anymore. I think that's not it. I think people are trying at the wrong thing. Yes, former journalists should be become a journalist again because we miss him. David Ruddick was just complaining about this on LinkedIn and he was just like, you know, with respect to the product managers who I call my friend, Like, product managers are ruining the segment because and even you can take it out above the PMO. Like, it's like companies have realized that if they do enough marketing to create artificial demand, then that is a way to make money in the short term and you can keep the business growing.
Speaker 2: Well, is that just what they believe is the case.
Speaker 1: It may well be right for the long term. It's certainly not true. Yeah, but for the short term it may be you get spike and it feels like there's ten times as much of that as there is for every ten examples of that, there's one example of a company it's actually like, hey, we actually have a good idea. Maybe it's a little weird idea, but we think enough people buy it, will buy it and find delight in it that we can make a business out of it. Right, And if more people did that instead of like what, how can we make money and get out as quickly as possible, right then, I think we have those glory days if.
Speaker 2: You can make the money and get up by doing some people want to buy it. It's just frustrating, true, Alex. It's are you enjoying any devices other than the strange north White steam deck?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the garbage steam deck that I'm not even gonna score, because you should buy it. It's it's it's not going to be good for most people, but it's so much fun to like fuck around with. I don't know, I like that's one of the reasons I got really into e ink because it felt like it was much closer to like There's felt like there was something there that could be solved pretty quickly. But that was like five or six years ago, and it hasn't happened.
Speaker 2: What's slowing it down.
Speaker 3: Because everybody wants to make money through vertical integration, so they're like, well, I don't want you to actually get anybody else's books on your device. I want you to get my books.
Speaker 2: So everyone wants to do a platform play, right.
Speaker 3: So everybody's doing a platform play. So it's it's money again, right, Like everybody's like I need all as much of the money as I can get to my little side. Because Apple did that and it worked really well for Apple.
Speaker 2: They never worked for anyone else.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean Amazon, it kind of works on.
Speaker 2: Amazon already had that scam going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: And you haven't seen that meaningful evolution in the kindle with such an the scribe in a long time.
Speaker 3: Which is insane garbage compared to a lot of the stuff because like China, and this is the other point is there's a lot of innovation happening in China. A ton do you ever.
Speaker 2: Use the odin?
Speaker 3: The odin?
Speaker 2: So there was this It's an Android gaming console before the Steam deck, so just to be clear, probably not as fun, but super fast. You could do PlayStation remote on it, almost like predecessor to the PlayStation porter, which is literally just playing PlayStation and it was great. And what they did is a crazy idea. They were like, why don't we make it really easy to run the specific gaming apps you like? And what if we made the buttons good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And what are crazy?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Sold out? Indiegogo did really well. Comes out of China, and it's like this current sinophobic climate's fucking frustrating. Because let them in, please borrow the innovation from them. They seem China seems to be fucking trying with tech right.
Speaker 3: And one of the reasons they're trying because I kind of went down a rabbit hole with the eating thing where I was like, why is nobody trying this, Like you're getting all these really cool eat ink readers out of China and nothing here, And it was because we're so obsessed with that lock in. We're so obsessed with how do we build that bigger model. We don't want to just sell one thing. We want to sell you the services, We want to sell you the platform, and and America is just super hyper focused on that, where China's like, yeah, I mean I don't care who you use, well, I mean by our ship.
Speaker 2: I mean as they also have one monopoly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's like we all operate within this one.
Speaker 2: We're all controlled by ten Cent. But yeah, but it's frustrating because I feel like what it might also be is that they're like, how do we make the next trillion dollar company or billion dollar company? They're like, what if you made a fifty million dollar company? No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fuck that, Well you got you gotta you gotta get your your your investors right, you gotta get your stockholders, you gotta do all of that. And and apparently money is not free. People don't just give money away.
Speaker 2: Got to give one hundred million dollars to Adam Newman again so that you can make the next bad company.
Speaker 3: I think that happened.
Speaker 2: It did. He got two hundred and fifty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I want to fill that hard up.
Speaker 2: That sounds rate so good.
Speaker 1: Well, and like we I don't mean to keep bringing it back to humane, but that was the thing I kept saying in the Humane briefing. I was just like, guys, I know this is not what you want to hear, but this would be a great little accessory for the phone. You could still do a lot of cool things and have it linked to your phone, and then it wouldn't be well, a bunch of things would.
Speaker 2: It did not work, but.
Speaker 3: You didn't catch on fire. That's that's exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm still here.
Speaker 3: You're still here.
Speaker 1: But like the it wasn't a bold enough vision. And they didn't say this, I assume this. It wasn't a bold enough vision one to get a bunch of people motivated to do because if you're replacing the smartphone. Big quotes around that. Well, that's a that's a mission that's at least difficult. That's like a moonshot. And then B you can't get enough investors excited to your point to give you all the all the money that you just want to put together.
Speaker 2: Just a note for listeners. That's the humane AI pin Google it. It's terrible. Seven one dollars twenty four dollars a month, just the basic thing. But the human was so weird though. And this is the thing that I will never understand and they will never tell me, is how did you put this out the door? How did you look at this thing?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: It overheats in two minutes? Oh chat GBT sometimes doesn't work. Basic shame. I mean I would not want to do it. I would be like.
Speaker 3: They kind of had to write like they they kind of hit their their point where it's like should to get off the pot?
Speaker 1: This is the question I don't know I asked that about it. It's just two x human is it rabbit?
Speaker 2: Cynical one believe.
Speaker 1: I think Rabbit had to launch before the what we all knew was gonna happen, which was Google was going to do us Apple was going to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people saw how it operated so that they could say this, it looks cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does look cool.
Speaker 2: He is on the board of teenage Engineering. He is on the board. This boys are sick. Okay, we're going to talk about the Rabbit.
Speaker 1: It's time.
Speaker 2: So those listeners who don't know about the rabbit. Is this two hundred dollars AI device and it claims to have something on it called a large Action model. Large Action Model claims it was trained on six hundred plus apps to distinctly control your raps, but for some reason it only launch with four or five. Turns out that when you ask the lamb to do something, it would sometimes just not work. Sometimes you would say or to me McDonald and it would go sorry, Uber isn't working. And it turns out, due to some friendly hackers that it turned out that it isn't actually using a large action model. It's connected to playwright, a script thing. I'm sure more technical listeners are going to email me corrections. I'm very sorry. But in shut instead of running a large action model an actual AI thing, it was triggering scripts using chat GPT. Now I could do a whole episode in surprise. I haven't over the whole thing that there used to be an NFT company, but putting all of the obvious horrible things aside, it just fucking sucks. Yeah, it's just really bad in a way that is almost unbelievable. I recommend you going look. Dave three D did a whole thing about it before it came out that was very good. But go and look at Linuses and Linus. I know people have problems with him, but his the thing about the rabbit was great because it was mostly him trying stuff it not working, and it goes what what what, which was very entertaining.
Speaker 3: It's very funny.
Speaker 2: But it's just broken.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they raised another thirty two million dollars in March. It feels like I am living in a different universe to the.
Speaker 1: Rest of the world.
Speaker 2: I see this. It's bad. The YouTube's like, this is the worst thing I've ever used. Investorsla absolutely, Yeah. I need to get in on the shit now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk has just sent them wrote them a check. He did not, to my knowledge, for write them a check. He wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: It's an epic andvice device.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you're alone. I think there is a weird tension happening where we have Silicon Valley. We have all these investors in Silicon Valley who are all just desperate to make money and never took a single history English course like any liberal arts. They think that's stupid. And then there's the rest of the world. Yeah, and these people are so focused on money they forget the rest of the world. They never touch grass. And so they'll put on the vision pro and be like, this is going to change the face of computing, and not consider the billion of different other ways people use computers. Or they'll see the the rabbit with the worst name on the planet. By the way, a majority of women I know the rabbit was coming.
Speaker 2: Out, was like, why gonna pay two hundred dollars for that?
Speaker 3: I got one in my drawer next to my bed.
Speaker 1: What the hell, guys, I'm dying to know more about that weight. I didn't even put.
Speaker 3: That the rabbit is a very notorial, like that's that's a term for a whole type of sex toy that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so like when they were like, we've got the rabbit, and I was like, do you oh it's a different rat Like now bring out the ra You're like, whoa, what's happened to Cees? I knew you guys were doing sex text now.
Speaker 2: But wow, so I moved the thing away from c That's depending on But I think I think that it is that that there's the kind of disconnection from the real world, but there's also I don't know if these people use stuff. I just don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think they do.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they use it. Like I really want to just get behind Marc Andreeson at one point and can't say the rest of that, but I mean, look over his shoulder and see the funds eyes on his iPhone right like I want to see it because I don't think these people interact with the real world, will touch gross. But I also don't think they like I don't think well app vision pro is different because public company whatever. Yeah, but like the Rabbit, for example, I don't think they fucking can I like, these little pigs will buy this.
Speaker 3: Well, they'd already bought it, right like, like they announced the thing, they made these huge promises, they did a ton of pre sales, and then it came out and we haven't heard how the pre sales or how the sales have.
Speaker 2: Hundred thousand units after Oh we don't they don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, well, and I don't know what we're gonna hear about that, right, like we.
Speaker 1: Are not it's coming from I think, you know, I mean, if they I'm with you. I think there are dubious business motivations to a lot of this, right. But I can't help but think that if I was inside one of these organizations that I wouldn't look No, I know, I would have been caught up in it. I would have been caught up in the ambition. I would have been caught up in the promise, especially when you consider that the design process of a lot of this stuff goes back to the time where we were most of us are getting our first chance to interact with chat GPT, and I'm like to make me a text adventure in the style of Star Trek Deeps Race nine. Yeah, and it did it, And I was like, oh, oh my god. You know, I remember where I was when that happened. It was like the first time I put on a VR headset. I remember the first time I was actually blown away by AI. And if I was in an inside a company or a recently hybrid companies, like we're going to change the world with this tech. I think I would have I probably would have been on that boat for like a year before I started getting real internally by.
Speaker 3: Chat GPT initially, yeah, yeah, I like for me, I used it, and it just reminded me of the aim bots from like I'm old here, I'm an apologies to the audience. I'm sure you're all twelve, Hi, why are you listening?
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm older than you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're old people. But the AIME bots, you'd go and you log in and you type and and type back, and then there's we've seen this so many times and this one I was.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay to Eliza, yeah, we're back to this.
Speaker 3: We're back to this, Like the pattern recognition and recreation machine has gotten just really really good, and I was like, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of That's actually where I was as well, like, oh, you can do a text bace adventure, and I think i'd have heard that. I would have gone cool, all right, and just kind of just say because I run a PR firm, yeah, I have clients in AI, but nothing that touches this show because I'm scared of that. And it's like it's a few clients night who have even just do a I think that's the thing. I don't surprisingly enough AI companies aren't super excited to work with me when I'm talking about them actually having to do stuff. But it's like with chat GPT, for example. I know, I actually understand totally Michael, why you were excited like that. I can understand why others might have been excited by that. I just don't understand how they're still that way because nothing has happened.
Speaker 3: Money, honey, I guess, But I mean money is a very powerful driver.
Speaker 2: If you work for a financial institution. I get, But like gadgetw even just regular people don't seem excited. It's just so weird. It feels like living in two realities at once.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And like there was a sign that someone posted on blue Sky was like we put the AI in an inn I p A. It was a Dell advert what. Yeah, I just I feel like I like it. I have a friend who is in a dot com boom company, yeah, like a textbook related one, and I'm really tempted to call him and be like was it like this was it like this, and if he says yes, I'm gonna do nothing because I can't invest in anything now because I run a bloody podcast. I can't do anything. You can't short ship. It's like the big short. But Steve Goss just like, well, I'll just go home.
Speaker 1: I guess I think like we have to give give credit to the to the entire thing. First of all, the marketing approach to AI has been really frustrating because everything is a I know, stuff that was that existed before in its has been ported directly, unchanged and just rebranded as as AI, just much in the same way. I think somebody brought up to me at the at the John Deere event. I was just at could we will not be talking about okay?
Speaker 3: I had so many questions somebody brought up.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, it's like slapping a non GMO label on an unchanged box of weed. Things like. It's like, okay, well, AI is just being marketed much too aggressively, So you have stuff stuck in here kind of getting caught in the in the flat. That's like, that's really useful, but it's it's these it's a seasoning that you put on something that is already used. Yeah, it's not in itself a self contained thing capable of driving a whole new range of especially gadgets, which again makes me very sad, because every time you would touch a new AI, I think the plot a the plod note, that little self contained AI voice recorder was like, this is very cool. I wish it were an alternate universe in the year two thousand and I could actually get excited about this because what this is is a feature that belongs in the Google recorder And oh sorry, I just finished this video and that's exactly what Google built in to their recorder when that was done, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, okay, well home with that for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's bummer pivots A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody, I mean yeah, I think they're just going to pivot back and forth. Everybody's gonna be constantly oscillating until like something sticks because they're so desperate for that next thing. They're so eager that everybody's just looking for the money. They know it somewhere and like right now it is all in n video stock and they're hoping that it will somehow come to them at some point.
Speaker 2: Why not you, I don't know, It's like why not build some fucking hardware to put video stuff in. I realized those black bell chips aren't what we're talking about, But I don't know. It's almost as if no one wants to do the work in the middle. They're like, I've got an idea and I need to make a product. Can I skip the middle part? It's boring, it's expensive, it takes forever. I need to have this shit on the market in six months, and it can't be. And I it is the growth that all costs for rot economy ever in about one hundred times. But it's also frustrating because I actually think, if they put in the effort, this would be cool. When it comes to AI. Part of my frustration comes back to that thing we were saying earlier about how we've been let down, because I would actually love it if I could reliably tell my phone to take distinct actions. Send the calendar invite to Alex and Michael, Yes, three pm at the iHeartRadio studio, and just fucking send it and it would know how maybe it goes. Do you want eastern a Pacific time? Or wait? I said, New York you already know. And it sends the invites and they find your emails. That would be useful. I wish in my regular email job I could have it through the spreadsheets and the documents. It can't, it can't actually do these things. Yeah, and this please make that the future. No, it isn't the future. We need to They can't even describe what it is.
Speaker 3: And it's just because it can't do that future yet, right, Like, there's the thing we have now. The thing that everybody got really excited about was they released GPT three point five. Everybody went, oh, crap, this can write this can write stuff, and it can write it not like garbage for once, and this is huge. And all of the researchers just roll their eyes because they'd seen this for ages. They were like, yeah, it's a lare language bottle. That's what they do. They calm down, and everybody's like no, And then the downloads increased. The downloads increase, and everybody's like, wait, I think there's some money here, right, and let's just like rye, this hype just right into the ground as long as we can write it, as long as we count until it gets it around. And that's pretty much what happened just right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to im like I'm still you know, I'm halfway between like the stuff that that we're all talking about and then the stuff that I see again in these little flashes of like what I'll be on a trip with and Kevin neither will be. I'll be like, what are you doing? He's like, well, I have a cold, so I can't do voiceover for my video. But I built a model of my own voice, so now all I have to do is type in something and script in the model in my voice reads into the audience. And I'm like, well that's useful. Cool, all right, Well you don't bookmark that like generative fill stuff where it's like it's not like I'm typing into mid journey, like make me a photo of a high turtle eating macaroni and cheese while watch. It's like, no, I mean that is yeah, but like when you wroteate a photo right in it and you have to fill in the stuff with with fake scenery just to make it look okay, so you can run a blog post, It's like that's useful. So there's these little a lot of.
Speaker 3: These smaller things that it could be super super useful, but that's not what they want to focus on because that takes actual work. That takes there's more development than need to happen.
Speaker 1: You're already big enough that you've bought whatever little company came up with that, and you built like you're Adobe. You built it in a Photoshop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so then everybody hates you because you're Adobe.
Speaker 2: I think it's almost like they are really good at features but terrible at products like these aren't useful because the actual user interface of phones is really good and also very bad. I will lose what I am doing on my phone sometimes. I have five hundred and eighty seven Safari taps up.
Speaker 3: That doesn't surprise because.
Speaker 2: The UX on there is so wonky and it's so like it's not like on a computer where you have like like a Actually that was just like close crum taps on my computer too. But I don't lose shit as much, but I still do on the computer.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: I I don't miss meetings because I generally forced myself to be on time, as I was not today, and it's the fact that I have to moderate so much of this stuff. Yeah, everyone's talking about AI. That really pisses me off. Why can the phone if AI is the goddamn future. Why are we so far from well.
Speaker 3: The other part of that is the security in privacy, Like we just saw as we're recording this earlier today, Apple said, actually, a bunch of these features that we announced at WWDC, like Apple Intelligence, which is gonna make Siri like do a lot of the stuff we all want it to do. They're not coming to Europe because the DMA, and they're like, oh, you know, we're worried it's gonna like do something about the privacy. Recall is another example that was the Windows feature where it was like, what if we just to me. I was editing our postport and I was like, this rules. I didn't even think about the security because I was like, oh, it's going to take a picture and I'm just gonna know. And I'm like, I'd recently been trying to look for a text message from ten years ago. So it is feeling very like this is perfect for me specifically, and then everybody's like, this is the worst thing to ever happen in my life.
Speaker 2: What's great is they didn't actually solve the real problem, which was search searching for things. Spotlight is actually really good, yeah, but it's not good enough. No, it could just be a little bit better. Searching for stuff on your messages could be better. That would require them to make that better. They're like, no, if we just what we did, which is what we just call it, like, just wrote it down. Well, just wrote down literally everything you've ever done, got.
Speaker 3: In a plain text file, and then we'll just use AI to train on that and it'll be great. Yeah, And I'm like, yeah, that is definitely a solution.
Speaker 1: It's reminding me of something. I switched to a text message provider like fifteen years ago, and I was intoxicated by the prospect of being able to search all of my text messages for all time, which took down a few times, and over the course of the past like two years, I've been like, I must delete that entire archive. Yeah, just a massive liability.
Speaker 2: I have all wait emails, but not my text Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I keep all of them. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: I guess you and I will go down together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'm taking everybody.
Speaker 2: You're indicted in all kinds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hopefully please don't indict me.
Speaker 2: Please don't indict anyone who's on Better off line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: Request so.
Speaker 2: Returning from a commercial break that I'll announce next time. It's just I wonder if it's something to do with the venture capital climate, but not just that they don't want to invest in things that aren't going to grow huge, but also I think they're scared of hardware. They just the concept of hardware is expensive. It's expensive. But also, like you've been saying, there's not really a platform like there is if you own the hardware device, but you need to come up with some noxious way to charge them more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody is obsessed with how do we get that extra that extra money right With the exception of some hardware in this room currently.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much that we just had an addrec.
Speaker 3: But for the most part, everybody is obsessed with us. When we saw those with video games, I think that's one of that was like one of the first ones we saw it with where they're like, what if we charge you just to play online with your friends even though it doesn't cost us anything to do that? Really well, I mean customer.
Speaker 2: I think it became with it became Jesus Christ began with the game. It was Moro wind or Oblivion that they had the horse armor. That was the big moment. They charged two ninety nine for some armor for your horse.
Speaker 3: Did you get it? No?
Speaker 2: Maybe the eldestcrolls online. But nevertheless, that was the moment when it but they were like uh.
Speaker 3: And then we got the more micro transactions. They're like, oh, do you want to do a cool little like handwave and destiny five dollars and I paid it, un like you, I paid the five dollars. I was like, take my money, Bungee. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Since we're talking about old timey things. The first time I encountered this was with Napster, when Napster went legit. Do you remember that very brief moment.
Speaker 3: You were still with Napster when I went I moved.
Speaker 1: One to it? Nouse. You know I've done the linewired and because I ruined several computers. Yes, And then Napster comes out and it's like, hey, we're going legit. Just pay us this very affordable monthly fee and you get on limited music. I'm like great. And then I got to the part of the you know, front page. It's like, yeah, and if you ever stop paying us, you will lose access to all that music. I'm like, what, Yeah, it's two thousand and six, and what is this and.
Speaker 3: Now that's how Spotify works exactly?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Now or do you have a free account?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't pay for Spotify neither.
Speaker 1: Because I'm an influence.
Speaker 2: I pay for Apple Music.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I really I get it through my my my phone bill for some reason.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great. So I'm like, I do I pay for it? But unclear?
Speaker 2: But it's just weird because it feels like there were very obvious problems that people have, Like phones are the whole stop using your phone thing is stupid. Can't you in the top list Thatt b I had a really good piece. It's like I love my phone. I love being on my phone. Yeah, the problem is there's too much shit in it and that doesn't Google I need you to search for me. You're also not good in it. But it's the I feel like they are selling us back the idea of interfaces, except they're not even doing it. They're not actually automating anything. That's the thing with the AI. That is the problem of AI other than all the other ones, which is it's not doing anything for me. What is it doing when even the Apple Intelligence thing. We just did an episode on Excited about the prospect of what they could do, but also they didn't actually say much Siri can do actions across multiplaps.
Speaker 3: And also it's not coming until well after launch, right.
Speaker 2: Is it Jesus Christ?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Or some of the features they were really like they weren't clear on which features are coming immediately, which or later.
Speaker 2: Just this obfiscation and it's almost I mean, because that was WWTC Google Io.
Speaker 3: We just finished this big developer conference season. And while it was ostensibly for developers and ostensibly for the rest of us, and it should have been developers, because never has the relationship between these platforms and developers more fraud the stuff that's happening in Europe with the DMA has made it really really difficult, and instead it was for investors and saying here, we've got we've got our AI thing too. We are in on the hype, and it's like, you don't have to be like we talked about I'm gonna do a little plug here. We talked about this on the Verge cast the verges Sorry, what what where? Where I sometimes talk about stuff too, And we talked about it over there, and it was really really clear that they just they'd done this for the investors and if they hadn't been doing AI this year, and it was really clear that that was kind of bolted on. Everybody would be talking about how stupid and dumb and delightful your phone looks because you can change the color on it now, right, Like you can change the user interface, and like there was these cool moments that happened and they just were like, no, no, no, forget that AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah go buck, No, no, man, that's it. I mean like it's that that And that has been the case since I got into this business. Right, It's like you go to a show and well, what's the theme this year? You know? And I think we saw seeds of this. Soone in twenty seventeen when Google first spent like half of Google io talking about bots. What are you doing here?
Speaker 3: I think it was the same year that Facebook when they did f eight was it fate? Oh, and they're like, we're going to revolutionize the world with chat bots in Facebook?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where are those?
Speaker 2: M was the m assistant right with me? With Facebook?
Speaker 1: It was so fucking But it's always there's always that big, you know, overarching theme, and it's again to your point, yes it is to you know, curry favor with with investors and make sure no, Google's not being left behind. We can't afford to be seen as being left behind. And then you know, you get the search query that the glue on pizza stuff, the go eat rocks thing, and of course they've got the egg on their face now because and I cannot, for the life of me understand why no one internally said, hey, stop, let's let's actually because.
Speaker 3: Google is one of the biggest companies in the world and it is a nightmare to work in.
Speaker 1: I've heard that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tony Fidell, who built like Nest and all of that stuff, he wrote a book that was all about how he knows business and one of the really actually interesting parts in it is how his just relationship with Google collapsed after he was Nest was acquired. They acquire Nest and then like immediately, you know, his boss is like, actually, I'm not your boss anymore. This guy over here is your boss. You're doing this. And then that guy's like, oh, actually you're doing this. And it was just constantly changing because it's such a big amorphous, right thing. Yeah, And like a lot of these companies are that way. Google's probably the worst at it. Amazon's pretty bad at it. Apple is generally pretty good at it. Apple's whole thing is just like the culture of the place can sometimes get in the way. It's a cultish yeah uh, and Google is also a cult. But it's like what if we were like a big kind of disorganized there was.
Speaker 2: A run by show regular listeners, and now McKenzie graduate sound off as shy Well confuses me, is like Liz Reid has been there like decades such chief now, but so her boss is probably a ragavan who form ahead of ads who also used to run Yahoo. Please listen to the episode. Great episode, arguably the weirdest thing I ever discovered of them what I see in the era. Anyway, It's just it's frustrating as well, because you can they must have no shame, They must legitimately just be like who gives this ship? Like the only way you are able to release products this bad is when you just to your point, it was for investors, but now the company is for investors. Yeah, because I think that that is the rubicon that's being crossed.
Speaker 3: That's why like someone like Panos Ponee who's now at Amazon, or Steve Jobs had these like panas Pine used to ran the Surface department, ran all of the surface products at Microsoft for years.
Speaker 1: One of the most gifted presenters at press events.
Speaker 3: I mean, he knows how to present things favorite and he really understands how to build these things, and and it like, I think he made a real moment with the Surface because he cares about the products. And he's now at Amazon and they won't let me talk to him. And it's fine, I'm okay with it. But and that's because he's going and like, okay, we've got to fix Amazon's like product lineup, because.
Speaker 2: It's what if it was good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what if it was good? And and and you see that and but those are the rare guys, right, Like the reason these people are so beloved is because they do care. Jony I have terrible ideas a lot of times. Apparently it was like his idea to put the eyes in the vision pro Oh really, yeah.
Speaker 2: It would be lies. Yeah, what if what if the watch was a triangle?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, that's the rest of it.
Speaker 2: By the way, I want to see Jony I. Apparently Sam Woman really badly wants to make a device with them. Yeah, honestly, give them as much money as they want. I will see what I want. I want to see the homomobile. Ask Gadget that these idiots past.
Speaker 3: Zero ports zero display.
Speaker 2: Call it the hexagon.
Speaker 3: You just think at it.
Speaker 2: It's a new new type of Bluetooth devices. You can connect your Bluetooth device.
Speaker 7: I think, oh, ship, it's it looks gorgeous, which is I'm fine if things look good, but if they just completely useless.
Speaker 3: Cards Yeah, no, no, I mean and and But that was the thing is like he's kind of like a lesser example because he does have some bad ideas. He's so about the minimalism and weirdness that it goes to like somebody tell him no. But that's why Steve works. That's why or Steve Jobs works. I don't know if Steve jobs, he's dead. That's why Steve Jobs works. That's why that's why Panels work was because they can actually they actually care about the products. They actually want to make something good. And most of the time now, like Tim Cook, I'm sure he cares about the product because he is the CEO and he has to make money and and and please his investors and stuff. But he is a supply chains guy.
Speaker 2: Right, Like I also feel like Apples, laptops have been really good, their phones have been they have.
Speaker 3: Gotten They've gotten really good because everybody was like slagging on the laptops, being like their garbage. You haven't updated the MacBook Air, your most popular device in half a decade, do something, and they're like, oh, we we probably should. And then but they only really did it and they actually had you could put their own process.
Speaker 2: Which is right, and silicons great.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I think I'm my problem as I'm discovering in the middle of this conversation, I love this, this is good, is that my problem is not with the devices, because everyone who buys them, the millions of people who give Apple whatever it's three trillion dollars market cap or whatever it is right now, are very happy with them because they're very good products, and anytime they try something that I would like, Like, you know, for example, I thought the touch bar was kind of a fun idea. Yes, fun, but but it it creters and it's not supported in whatever you get this developer thing. But there are no options anymore for these types of products, Like your phone has to look like that. I'm pointing at Ed's iPhone fifty. Your phone has to look like that. And even if you go crazy and you make something that I really appreciate, like a foldable, which is one of the big reasons I still use Android phone because foldibles change the way I use phones and they're great. They still have to unfold into vaguely something that vaguely reminiscent of that rectangle. And a laptop, Oh my god, we just saw a Qualcomm you know, processors introduced into like I don't know, seventeen new laptops from a bunch of new new companies and they all look like the existing Intel powered laptops that they've been shipping forever.
Speaker 3: Because in most cases they just something I think. I think Microsoft and HP were like the only companies that do something.
Speaker 1: New, but even that's not new, like you can go asues. God bless them.
Speaker 4: They make these crazy, weird laptops with multiple screens. You get these foldable screens, and honestly, those do they're not just they're not gimmicks, like they change the way you compute it, and in some cases they are very very useful.
Speaker 1: But no one wanted to take a risk. No one wanted to take the affordance of all that space freed up by this arm based chip and like the reduction of fan size and everything. No, they're just everyone's just being very conservative because same reason that phone makers only make white and black phones in quantity, because that's all people buy. We make clicks in a very fetching yellow color and that's thirty percent of them or something like that, because those people want white a black and I get it, but I don't like it. I would encourage people to remember that fun can be a reason to consider a piece of technology. When did we decide that fun is not a priority in our in our like buying, when.
Speaker 3: We decided selling more products matter more than selling cool products?
Speaker 2: And shareholder supremacy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the business I agree with you both on the business side, but as consumers like when did when when did we just go like pick up a phone? Like I don't know, maybe it's I think, I think that is you.
Speaker 2: I don't say this is a bad way. You're right, I understand what you feel that way. But it's their job to sell these things. It's their job to make these things us exactly like the two screen laptop is issues and Lenovo so these things are crazy, Like you've got the you've got the screen where your keyboard is, and then you have another screen. Make have a go at it, do a proper national campaign, make some weird choices for because that's not a mass device. But guess what, there are cool things you can do with it. Many people use two screens. Do a big enterprise push, do a big business push. When I see the ai IPA ad, that should be the double screen one's. And what's weird is like Dell, for example, that company was dog shit for a long time and now they're pretty good because they weren't. Why if we make good good computers, use our computers you see, Yeah they dogshit? Well if they were good nah. And it's just and I think it's this disconnection of the company from the product on both a business and just a culture level, like the people building things like it's so weird to me that Meta made the ray bands because all of the people who run Facebook now so it's Mark Zuckerberg. Javier Olivan Coo, you've got boz the ultimate growth, All costs, ass whole every terrorist attacks are justifiable for growth. Literally he said that. Yeah, it's really grim thing. Alex Schultz form of growth guy. All these are growth people. I'm shocked that there's anyone building anything in Facebook other than the Torment Nexus and it's plugins.
Speaker 3: Well, that's because Mark said, build you have to build me a hardware because nobody wants nobody, like everybody hates us because we're terrible at software. You've got to go build me some cool hardware so I can get as far away from the phones as far.
Speaker 2: So I'm lot for only because you said he could build build me a hardware. But I could imagine Mark Zuckerberg, just like his cold dead eyes looking build.
Speaker 3: Me a hard I assume that is exactly. It just leaves, yeah, killed it for me, slams the door.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I think if they brought back the HDC Chacha it would do pretty well. Read Chacha right, that was a physical quirity keyboard Android phone with a Facebook button on it that would let you directly share.
Speaker 2: Tens of them.
Speaker 1: So absolutely it could be the new minimalist phone for the Facebook friendly. It could be the boomer phone.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's the boomer phone.
Speaker 2: The Great Coal has one with just giant numbers.
Speaker 1: Still around, right, They're still around, owned.
Speaker 2: By like a private equity phone, so not for long yeah, I was, that's that's a they'll be sold to a barbecue company or so by a private equity.
Speaker 3: Marina will buy it next year. I don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Great things. What's funny though, is that see yes with the grill stuff. So, as some of you may know, I make excellent barbecue at home, I do smokers. I admit I got in a little bit of trouble at ces lustmor Is there because I went up to these people. I start asking them grilling questions, not like being an ASO. I was like, so, how does this help with the cooking?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They're like, well, you see you go on the app and you can see recipes. Sure, but the device pause, Uh, well you can connect it and wife, I'm like, excellent, then what And that's because you can't really innovate that anymore other than the combustion thermometer, which is incredible. It's made by a guy who made a video a few years ago called your Raven is a Liar and it's got eight I'm not connected with this. It's just excellent. I have to has eight sensors in it so it can find the coldest point in your food. What like all my hate the various caters use me. I've got my detractors on these saying I don't like anything. The combustion thermotos excellent, is so good. I finally got my b F Ribs down with it. But that's the thing that one's a great example of solving an actual problem. That most people they use the thermometer, they don't know where to put it and they don't know if they're in the right place, and they're I personally and deeply anxious person so constant anxiety, which is great for a twelve hour cook. With this, it works, and it works really well, and there's not a bunch of other bullshit. It costs like one hundred and sixty nine bucks, so it's not cheap, but it solves a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, it's like you think with all of this money in AI or AR or all these things, they solve a problem. We've had very similar problems for like ten years.
Speaker 3: I think part of it is a lot of these people do not they think they're solving a problem, right right, Like I think everybody in this room is probably good. We're good writers, right like. We all's part that's part of how we make our living. Like when you're doing a video, Yeah, you write the script like, we're good, Like, this is a skill we have and we can do. If somebody sends us a horrible text message, we will grow because we don't want to answer it emotionally, but we'll still respond, like and we'll respond the hell out of it. It will be real written, well written. But these people don't value that because they think that's just that's a thing they can surmount with AI, right, like, that's that is the thing for him. And I run into this like I was talking to a woman the other day who gave me the first legitimately good use for large language models. She had a really bad blind date and the guy sent her like a long, long email and she's like, read this email for me because I'm not going to read it because I don't want to go on another date with a guy. Then respond to it like politely saying saying no, I don't want to see you again. And I was like, you figured it out that because like if you did that to me at work, I would be furious. Blind date, Yes, go, yep.
Speaker 1: That's no that that you're right, and that is the more specifically than the only good example for like it's the only good version of that demo that every company insists on thinking. It was just like, who send a text to my wife and tell her that I'm going to be late for dinner? Now make me sound more sad about it? No, apologize, just text.
Speaker 3: Your wife you start.
Speaker 2: It's like more effort to do.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And how do you even know what good is? You can't write right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: And I must also say, just as a note, there are people out there who have like cook disorders and learning learning disability called dyspraxia for example. It's physical, but there are people with dyslexia. Those are not When I say you should be able to write email, just to be really clear, not the people. I mean, you have an individualized problem. And I also must be clear, none of the AI companies give a rap fuck about you. They do not care that it's not You are not the person they are selling accessibility. They are selling to someone who does not exist that they made up right, Yeah, that is who it is. Because the rewrite stuff is crazy. And then the oh, I have these five ingredients in my kitchen.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite one. I'm like, ever happened to someone you just only have.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, you can't work out what you like unless you've got I've gone onion, one piece of ham, three knives of a cuman check GPT. Like what is the situation where you can't look at it and go all right, fine, Like I'll make a sandwich.
Speaker 3: Like because you're you're imagining what they imagine when they're doing this is themselves. They're just like looking in the mirror and they're being like, Okay, I put on my little padic.
Speaker 2: In your vest, I put on my clothes, put on.
Speaker 3: My little bluetooth headset. I haven't looked at my spouse in three weeks. I'm gonna have my assistant text them. Oh shit, my assistant got laid off. Okay, I really wish I had an AI assistant who could text them so that they don't leave me, because they probably.
Speaker 2: Because the divorce would be quite messy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be expensive. They will take.
Speaker 2: All of my stock, but I don't care.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and like that, I mean, that is a gross, gross exaggeration. Are many of you lovely human being? Yeah, there are plenty of people who have lovely relationships there, but that is like the thing there. They are they are very cynically going after this one group who to your point earlier, they're not talking to real people. They're not going out to like fucking middle of nowhere rule Nebraska and being like what do you think of this? Because they'll be like can it connect to the internet? Yeah, it needs the internet to do everything? Cool. I can't use it at all because I don't have Internet.
Speaker 1: I wonder and I have a real question here, and like, is it that so many problems have already been solved that it's harder to find new ones, like or that the new ones we find are too niche and too narrow and too because you can't dedicate Google's resources to solving like a.
Speaker 3: Fixable problem is I would love to just say, fix my schedule for the week? Oh, I mean same, right, Like that should be easy.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't have been lying about this. I'm calling you out Motion, you ossholes, all right, you motherfuckers. I see you on Instagram every goddamn day. I've supercharged my adhday with motion. Fuck you, it's not how it works. You're a bunch of scumbag. I'm so sorry that's a little much, but you light I loaded your goddamn product, and it's like I'll rearrange your SCHEDULEM like go, and it just it like tries to like suggest I do something once like that does not work. What the fuck you do? And I just don't trust it anymore and it doesn't do it. And I cannot find any real users. I'm sure they exist, but that's the thing. It's that is a problem to be solved. But I also think you're right in the there are no big problems, right, I feel like no more lands to.
Speaker 1: Conker, tens of thousands of little problems and little niche like issues and certainly stuff that I run into every day that shouldn't be a problem. And Google Home is what you know, over a decade old, and those things are just absolutely trash. But like those are little things. There's one light in my room doesn't go off with the rest of it goes like no one's gonna Those are troubleshooting bug fixes. Like we were not doing this whole maps thing again. We're not. We're not saying like, hey, you know how it's hard to get around the city, or you know how you got to print out map quest directions, Like no, we drove down every road on the planet, and now you have Google Maps. Yeah. Like I feel like those big ambitious problems just don't don't obviously present themselves.
Speaker 2: We do need to go back to this idea that there are no more lands to conquer. It's the thing I've talked about before, that there are no more big problems. And I think we're finally maybe this is the first time in history we're really being made to reckon with the fact of how these companies make money because it consumers are perhaps dealing with a death by a thousand cuts right now. It's the ten ten million little problems we face, which are usually a response, sorry, a result of technical debt. It's just things built on top of things. People I've talked to inside of Google have said this, that they just build shit on top of other shit. Google Home one of the most evil apps of all times, invented by the devil to separate you from your thermostaff But that is a result of them being like, Okay, we've brought net Tony Foddell. Yeah, genius, genius guy. They've got these amazing They've revolutionized the smart I'm not sure if any of you remember when the Nest came in. That was a huge deal. You had this shitty honeywell thing and Nest actually worked and it worked, did exactly what you wanted to look. It looked cool, but it also very satisfying. And guess what, it worked. It actually worked, and they went, Wow. So we just bought Nest and they've got these cameras and they've got these thermostats and they work really well and the software pretty reliable. People like that, But we also have another app that people hate. What if we added the thing people liked to the thing people hate, then they will love it instead. I don't know what happened what actually happens to thing I'm just describing, which is someone from Google absorbed Nest and then said, you are run by Steve. Now don't know if it's or her name was Steve, but you are run by this department, and we'll build on top of it, will connect all the bits of Nest into this app, because we must have everything in one place. When you're not really solving problems other than company apps and making a feature work rather than a suite of things work. This is the result. And I think we're finally reaching a point where just there's not enough exciting stuff to hide from the fact that most computing experiences are cluttered and bad. Well that's many, many times of the day.
Speaker 3: That's for the fixes. Right, Like Google, I think we can all agree, is not doing great as far as like search goes right. Like you go and you search something on Google, it is so much worse. Now I'm using Cogy, the paid one. At the moment, it's like it's interesting. I'm still trying it out, but it doesn't feel measurably worse, which is not great for Google. And that is something that could be solved and that would be a huge boot, right, Like, it is hard to find things, and these companies have all decided that they are going to solve it by just taking all of the content and then may maybe or maybe not accurately convey Google.
Speaker 2: I was like, and then you will be able to use such to find your UPS tracking number and it will tell it when you'll get to tell you, and then when you're trying to do a return, it will automatically generate that that could happen. Yeah, you know when it just movedy.
Speaker 3: Don't worry that. Yeah, there's a lot there are these useful things. They're nowhere close to ready and then they go and they promise them way too early, and then like AI is getting poisoned. There's so much really interesting things that could have paid for a while, and there has been for a very long time, and instead they're like, what if we just make a bunch of money by pushing lying bots out into the world and that won't backfire in any way, shape or form. And it's like, no, it's already backfiring, and it's just gonna get worse. Like Google, you shot yourself in the foot. Microsoft with being you shot yourself in the foot because you're like, what if we release these lying machines at the same time we have our garbage search engines that can't see the lies and it'll be fine. No, you've just made the web like almost impossible to navigate.
Speaker 2: And that one is very much like it was a way to sell cloud computer space. It was a way to promise the eternal growth machine could keep growing. But also like Search, I've done the episode that's a whole thing. It just feels like they're not building things for people like it. Really like if I worked on Google Search and I saw them launch that, I probably wouldn't quit. If I had a mortgage. But I would take my LinkedIn offline. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be associated with it. If you like, yeah, I deface the line vacations, Yeah, I would, yeah, vacation. But it's just someone like a in a sane society suned up. A shy would have been fired immediately, immediate. Liz sent off, Brabagar Ragavan would have been sent off. These people would have been fired, not just for but they've already not been fired for making search bad, but for publicly breaking the probably the biggest contribution tech has made ever, like at least in software, and.
Speaker 3: Instead it's like a little hiccup and they're like, don't worry. AI is going to fix this.
Speaker 2: Cow just AI is going to fix the AI pro how well, you know.
Speaker 3: That's the other part of it. They're like, well, AI will fix it because AI just needs to learn more stuff, and if it learns more stuff, we'll do that. Okay, but didn't you just there was just I think The Atlantic wrote a really great story about how they run out of stuff to tach the AI on and so they're like, what if we just make more machines that make a content from AI synthetic content data.
Speaker 2: So if you go back to the PKI episode, this is a big problem the synthetic data. And by the way, did you know that that will break them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Habsburg Gai is well. Jaythan Sadowski calls it one of the funniest terms ever. But it's so funny as well because there are so many times, there's so many things to fix, and just using the phone is kind of a ball Like it's it's like you have this click click keyboard company. I'm surprised that that didn't come out like one of the weird like not quite works for Apple, but seems to get all their revenue through the Apple store. Companies like these, these ones that have just kind of bubbled up and hung around in a good way. Like it's just solving a very specific knee.
Speaker 1: Right right, very like specific.
Speaker 2: There are plenty of people who don't like clickie, who want a clickie keyboard, people who like keyboards, like that's a thing that you can connect to a person who does not about.
Speaker 3: Kim Kardashian bowl one, right, that is famously a thing she loves.
Speaker 1: One of the first things I learned about being on the side of the business and I'm not allowed to talk about the customers stuff. Give me the permission.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I hear Henry clutching his clicks as his last words. Well, I like the device. No, it's it sucks as well. And getting back to something of saying earlier as well, I want to be excited about this stuff I loves.
Speaker 3: Is there anything you're excited about?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, that's a good like the steam Deck. The next I genuinely believe, and I know the o led was the second one. No, that's not what I'm talking about. Whenever they do the next steam Deck, I'm so excited for that.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be cool.
Speaker 2: I love the Steam Deck. I think it's one of the coolest things I've ever used. It is like a really great PC gaming console. PC gaming consoles, they've tried them a few times that never quite work, but this works. It's a bit too big.
Speaker 1: Play isn't great, but yeah, don't.
Speaker 3: Worry about it. It's cool and it's it's customizable in a way that you don't generally get with products nowadays, and it's just it's fun to use. Like that's that's what I got.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: I got into the I in Ao, I got into these weird like Steam Deck replacements, because there's a place where I'm like, oh, something's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, game play is kind of immune from this, from this thing, because like you can go back to a Nintendo Sweat right now. I still love my switch and Razor kicks out a new gaming accessory every cees. You've got this crazy, ridiculous webcam that like most people don't need but streamers love, and the RGB nabled lights and stuff like that. There are a lot of gadgets to be had in the gaming world. I feel like if I were one.
Speaker 2: Beginning with e I'm completely blanking.
Speaker 3: They do the lights, El Gato, they make.
Speaker 2: Really good Dane producer there, it's Eato. They make great ship as well.
Speaker 1: And production gear and camera NERD's like, there are still gadgets out there for specific niches.
Speaker 3: But it's definitely niche.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're also little professions, but they're like it's specialized gear. It's not really a gadget. There is just yeah, plan, I got this weird thing.
Speaker 2: There is something exciting happening where the normalization of photography written large is pretty magnificent. The photos I can take on my iPhone with portrait mode are not my ds A lot. I've got an Alpha three, I got a Canon five DS. I've done a lot of photography, got some nice glass too. And yeah, when I take them out and I get the right lighting, lighting, and I've I've made sure I do the settings.
Speaker 3: Right, you feel like you've earned.
Speaker 2: And I nailed and I nailed there. Sure it's great ninety eight percent. The other time, though, my phone's in my pocket and I can get a really good photo and it's easy. I can upload it somewhere, it's easy to share with a friend. I could do a little editing. I can make a podcast at home in my pajamas in Las Vegas. I can have it edited. There are actual things that happen that are so good in tech, and they see these things and they're like, shit, all right, what problems to humans happen? Like I don't I don't know, yah, And they go to their assistant and like, what problems do you have and they start talking like yeah, sure, And it's just it's frustrating because if the tech industry would realize this was happening, they actually have a lot of good stuff to do. The normalization of whatever professional things are. You can record a podcast that sounds really good from home now in a way that you couldn't four years ago.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. Also, I think like some of this is just it is. I don't know if you want to call it, like I've victimless. Crime is not the word. It's like this was, this was, this was inevitable. Right when stuff got this good, and when when you got able to do those things that you just talked about on your phone, you have a production studio in your pocket, like we had to get here. There was there's no longer any reason for Motorola to make a phone that with double action hinges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we figured it out. And the same thing happened in Hollywood, right like they were like, oh, superhero movies make money. What if we only did? And that was really cool for me, a superhero nerd for two days, and then.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's a really good example because they saw that superheroes did well. What they didn't realize was the movies were good and the actors were good in the roles. Iron Man didn't do well because people love the concept of Tony Stark. It's because Robert Downey Junior.
Speaker 3: Nobody I f icking knew who Tony Stark was whenever it came out.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I Guardian's the Galaxy was good, not because of Guardians of the Galaxy, but because the act is a very good that's excellent. Scimora like, yeah, I forget who plays pee Quill, but the guy from the Office, there's gonna be someone who's so pissed and.
Speaker 3: It wasn't incredible.
Speaker 2: The guy from the Office, I'm like a huge guyianso the gag because he found have a bunch of comic artwork from it. But they saw that, and that's why, Yes, there you go. I have the guy from that show with person Trace Williams. Yeah, treat Williams. Sorry. So the thing is they see that, and then they spilled out all these ship ones. They're like, what what don't you like about it? They're all three hours long. That's more superhero you fucking ingrades.
Speaker 3: And just take your slop.
Speaker 2: You don't want your slot, take your slop. And I guess that maybe we are in tech slop era.
Speaker 3: We are in tech slop era.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we're actually in tech slop era. That's the title of this episode.
Speaker 3: But it is we're in this moment where it's like we they are more focused on their bottom line. They're more focused on pleasing people who don't care about the technology than actually making good technology. And there's there's a lot of good examples where that's not the case. We've talked about a lot of those here, but a lot of it is just garbage. And so for me, that's why I go and I mess with these steam deck competitors and eat ink devices because that's the areas where it feels like, yeah, there is the slop, like right now, and tell Panos does something about the Kindle garbage device. I do not want one in my house. Sorry to everyone at Amazon. Fix it. But these other Onyx books is making like really really cool interesting stuff here. It's not great yet, but they're trying. And every time, like I write a review, then the next thing comes out and it changes little and I'm like okay, then I feel very powerful, and then I just want to like write a hole like here's what I want actually from it, and then I'm worried that I'm got too close, I got too into it.
Speaker 2: It's funny though, that you're afraid to write that, right, just be like fix it, yeah, because like you're afraid the company would be mad when the company should.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, no, then I'm no. I'm more afraid that, like I'm doing labor and not getting paid for it. I mean, I'm getting paid for it, but like.
Speaker 1: Right, the unpaid consulting check is not.
Speaker 3: Yeah it where's my consulting check now?
Speaker 1: But I wonder about the Actually, that's what I've been thinking about kind of weirdly for the past few minutes. It's just like, there is still obviously really good reporting out there. There are still really good gadget reviews out there, there's still people calling companies to account for for the the stuff we've been talking about for two hours. But I do wonder how much disruption is actually being introduced by this kind of like rise of influencer marketing that kind of like there's clouds the whole thing, and nobody can tell the difference. I found I started to find fifteen years or twelve years ago that people could not tell the difference between sponsored content and.
Speaker 2: Even when you lead in quite aggressively, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because well, oh, I'm like I tweet and someone replies asking a question that I've answered in the original tweet, you know, because nobody pays attention. It's it's it's it's an attention span problem that I don't I don't know. We could spend another two hours talking about the changes that would need to happen in the media world to actually kind of make it close to good, but I don't know that it would make a difference. Yeah, it's based on people's willingness to actually listen or ability to listen.
Speaker 3: It's wild how many times we'll put a review up and you know, the Vergeon, we do not accept units. We send them back after we review them. We've got very strict policy. Used to we wouldn't even eat food one.
Speaker 6: And I love it.
Speaker 3: And nowadays, like we get people being like, oh, you just spawn con for Apple, and I'm like, rude. I'm mainly just offended more than annoyed, because I'm just like, but it's it's the same thing. There's this assumption that everyone has paid to play, and you see that even with PR, you get a lot of these younger PR people being like, hey, how much can we pay you to get our product on your site. I'm like, well, nothing, absolute, yeah, And it's it's shockingly common.
Speaker 1: Mark is running, you know, a really great review on MKBHD and then we have two weeks of discourse because somebody on Twitter with a large audience said, you know, I just don't think it's right that can kill a can kill a company, you know with this, with this thoughtless headline, I'm like, no, that's a review of a product that didn't.
Speaker 2: That's how this works. I think that there is a problem within the media, that there is a fear that if you step outside of the lines in gaming for good reason. I was in there before all of that horror show happens, and now it's those people you will actually get, especially so much worse for a woman. But in gadgets there's a fear of losing access. But I also think no one wants to say anything that's particularly different because I don't know what if they're wrong, And the answer is you've been wrong plenty of fucking times. Why stop now? Like, no one wants to make the step and say this sucks. I mentioned Dave three D earlier, great YouTube, Dave two D pardon us.
Speaker 1: I think three D is yeah, ten years from.
Speaker 2: Now there are And he did this thing about about the rabbit and about the pin, and he was just saying, what are these companies doing like, what is this? I looked around, really no one said that there was a thing in Bloomberg being like, so, why is it so good that you're doing this? It was like a month before it came out. It's just completely insane. And I understand that when you see the world, everyone's saying AI, everyone's saying this is gonna be big. Everyone's saying the same thing. It's scary to step out. But also my Keith Olbman, have you no shame? But it really is like, do you not want to just say what you see? If you believe this, I actually am fine with it. Please explain yourself because in the case of the rabbit, the case of the humane I know the argument is are it's just for affluent people. Whatever, It's still a lot of money. It's still who knows whether someone didn't actually save for the rabbit or save.
Speaker 3: A lot of people.
Speaker 2: Two hundred bucks isn't screw you if you think two hundred bucks isn't a lot. If that is your response to something as a justification for being shit, that's uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I always said that wasn't an excuse, especially since it was being like compared directly to the to their humane and I'm like, well, yeah, it's cost less, but still doesn't do it.
Speaker 3: It wasna yeah, yeah, in fact, it did even much less. Yeah, and it's you can put an Android phone on it now. I know.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do that for my video. It didn't come out in the time.
Speaker 2: It's just frustrating that guy who was like, oh, he killed the product. No, they killed the products. Marcus just said what was in front of him, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had a friend, Sharie Smith, who would review laptops and sometimes she'd give him a bad score, and the companies would call and be like, well, wh why did you give us a bad store? And you made a bad product. Make a good product and I'll give you a good score.
Speaker 1: It's that easy just talking about this off air. It's just like, no, look, I will tell you why, and I'll take you through the process and oh, I've just narrated my whole video for you again.
Speaker 2: Just go and if I like it, I'm gonna lose my shit over this. I'll be emphatic about how much I like it. When I like something, I love it, I get into the guts. Val Use, how was I really enjoy it? And I wanted to do that again with take, like I actually really miss it.
Speaker 1: And I think people What people don't get is that that's actually that makes it easier. Like when I run a review, that's that's good. Yeah, it's great because I get to geek out the product. The product people are happy, which like I doesn't know what I do, but they're not yelling at me, and the commenters aren't aren't yelling at me either. You get the occasional like how much they padio for this, and like everyone else is just like oh yeah, yea, I was geeking out about this too. I'm glad it's not a dumpster fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Great, cool, it's it's much more of a hassle to do a bad review.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bad review. I mean the Vergion. This year, we did three that were like lower than average, and people were like, what because we give the rabbit a really low score. I believe we give it like a three or or four. You know, we give it a three because the Humane Pin got a four because it did slightly more, and then the vision pro got a seven and we all joke now and say it probably should have wit a six. But but even then it was pretty like like the Vision pro actually still did the thing right.
Speaker 2: It was those moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but seven should be outlined. I'm just gonna say seven should be retired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, it's very uncommon in our space, and a lot of times if you are using the garbage products, you don't want to talk about them, and then you're using the mediocre products and you're like, how do I make that sound interesting?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yes, now we're just talking.
Speaker 3: You're just over here talking about no no, no no, we have a great time.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no no, no, no, I'm hat that's why you're here. And so it's funny. I've been asked recently to do more review stuff. But that's the thing. It's like, what if I hate it? Man, just say you hate it.
Speaker 1: It'll be the most and I can do no.
Speaker 2: But I can absolutely rip something a pop. Also, do I want to like if it's like something I truly despise, fine, absolutely the injustice inside me. But it's like something that's just kind of shit, like a six out of ten review that sounds horrib.
Speaker 3: I mean I definitely. When I first I went from from one place that had a very kind of strict tone, and then I went to a place with a much looser tone, which was Gizmoto at that point owned by Gawker. And I started there and I was ready to go, and I got a product in and I think, I mean, I gave it a really bad review, and it was mainly because I was just I was like, it was not very good, and I was like, I'm gonna dig in. And it was the meanest thing I've ever written in my life. I even think about it now and I cringe a little bit because it was so mean, But it was also so fun to write. And you you get older and you learn and you temper things, and so you're like, well, maybe I don't need to compare it to like a baby dropped on its head and a target, Like maybe that is not appropriate.
Speaker 2: So we're approaching the end now. Yeah, So for both of you, what is actually something you really really really love in tech? There you go, everyone on Reddit you want something positive? Jeez, you got you mean, like like a gadget you just really really love.
Speaker 1: I have a question, like a currently available one or one.
Speaker 2: One that used the history of yea yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, even from history. I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I will get I'll blend the two. I'll give you where I think a company really got something right and it didn't do very well. Motorola, as you know, revived the Razor for twenty nineteen. It brought back the Razor as a foldable Android phone, and it was pretty cool, but I had some stuff wrong with it. One of the greatest. Then the next year they brought out the Razor of twenty twenty, and I tell you, for somebody who is terminally nostalgic, this thing maintained the industrial design of one of the most famous phones of all time and concealed within it a really quite good Android phone with a bad camera because it's made by Motorola, but you know it's and it was very fragile in whatever, but it was beautiful. I still I very few gadgets that I don't just throw in a drawer or return or whatever. This one I didn't have the heart. It sits there on my shelf in the back. It's out of focus in most of my videos, and it's a masterpiece. And I love it when a company just absolutely nails it, and I hate it when it either doesn't have the ability to market it enough or it just doesn't capture the public imagination, and I don't think it did very well, but I loved it. Was the coolest, one of the coolest things I've ever reached.
Speaker 3: That was a cool fucking phone. Yeah, I think me right now, it's arc the browser. I recently switched to it. I won't shut up about it anywhere I go. So you guys have to listen to it too. You're talking about all your tabs earlier. I'm also a tab monster, and it just works. It better, like collates the stuff for me, so like it does the job. I waited like two years to use it, and now it's got a bunch of AI features that I think are kind of stupid, But you ignore the AI features and you just focus on the core product and it rules. And it just came out. The iPad version came out the week we're recording this.
Speaker 1: I've heard that a lot. I've heard a lot of people.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things where you do have to take a minute. It's not something immediately like I get it. You have to kind of sit with it a second because the first time I looked at it was like, this is stupid, and immediately all.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, from people find you Michael.
Speaker 1: If people can find me at Captain two Phones mostly on Threads, it's Captain the Number two Phones. I'm also still on X you know, I have No Choice and Instagram and I make your YouTube videos at the Mister Mobile.
Speaker 3: And you can find me at Alex Hcrans. I think on threads and Twitter exists, but I don't check it very often. It's also Alex Hcrans. And then I'm at the Verge. I write and edit at the Verge. I'm on the Verge cast every Friday and sometimes on Tuesdays.
Speaker 2: All Right, my name's ed Zychron you can find me a w W anyway. Sorry, you've been listening to Better Offline. We've been recording this in the beautiful iHeartRadio studios here in beautiful New York City. Daniel my producer, Thank you so much, Daniel. I'm calling this thing Better off Live. Now We're going to do this in multiple cities. I'm proud and happy that we did this. Thank you, Michael, thank you Alex. It's been one for and thank you all for listening. Thank you for listening to Better Offline. The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Matasowski dot com, M A T T O S O W s Ki dot com.
Speaker 6: You can email me at easy at better offline dot com or visit better offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course, my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot where's youreaed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash.
Speaker 2: Better Offline to check out our reddit.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.