Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Bob here, thanks for hanging out. It's a Sunday sampler. I want to play a few things. Number one, coming up, movie Mike's movie podcast.
Speaker 2: It's a game.
Speaker 1: He challenges you to identify some of the most obscure movie quotes.
Speaker 2: See if you can nail him.
Speaker 1: On Sore Losers, the president of the Nashville Podcast Network joins the guys. You know, they have kind of a resolution after a long time. And then starting us off, I talked with media executive Phil Becker, and we just talked about AI AI and radio. He introduced the first ever AI radio personality. We've talked about social media, and so here you go all these plus more Sunday sampler. We'll start with this a clip of my conversation with Phil Becker. He the thing that I struggle with the most daily, weekly, monthly in this format, which I love and grew up on. But I was also the napster kid right first. So as much as country music was the Arkansas music and Mike, my mother raised me on even traditional which I don't even know what current like a temporary country wasn't n ttil later, I was still a napster kid who had every influence. So it's almost that first generation, even in like I'm doing a project coming up the next couple months with Malcolm Gladwell who wrote Outliers, and I'd blink, yeah, so big fan of him and an Outliers specifically. You know, when Bill Gates lived in a town where there was a computer, he wouldn't have been Bill Gates if there wasn't that computer wasn't in that town. Like luckily that environment worked out with the person that was accepting of it and pushed and the next thing you know, we have somebody who's changing media. I think I'm very fortunate to have been birthed in a time that allowed me to be on the front side of digital media. But where I was really curious, I was consumed by we don't have to live in this artistic box that we've been delivered in. But I'm very fortunate in the same way Bill Gates was fortunate he had a computer in his town, the only one for miles and miles and miles. I got to be at the age where I had digital media first, and because of that, I have all of these different influences and from my most influential years, and so the one consistent thing has been other people my age or younger, regardless of where they grew up, country, hip hop up, They've all been influenced.
Speaker 3: By everything too.
Speaker 1: So the standard has been in this format, which again I know in love and I've dedicated my last fifteen years to it that anybody who comes over here must be a carpetbagger, because why weren't they here originally? If that's the case, I'm a carpetbagger in a way because even though I grew up on country music. In my first radio I begged to get a job at US ninety seven, they wouldn't hire me, and I did pop. But on my pop stations I would put country artists on. But to them because I wasn't completely I'm a carpetbagger. However, the thing I said with Beyonce was one, if we're going to say to be country, you've had to always be country, then there's a lot of people that if you're not a black artist coming over on a slave ship with a makeshift banjo, or if you're not a European with a basic fiddle, and the combination of those is what influenced the South and the South, then You're not a country right, So all you white dudes who have your goatee and your sunglasses, they're yelling at me that ain't country.
Speaker 2: Well, if you want to keep going.
Speaker 1: Back, I'm going to go back to the actual creation of country music.
Speaker 3: You ain't country.
Speaker 1: Secondly, I think also there is a problem, and I can understand this problem, and I understand why people feel this way because I feel it too. If somebody is not succeeding in a genre and they go, I'm just going to go and do country because it's not working for me. There I can understand being insulted by that, because, oh, where you're is it the easier format where you're the second place where you're you think you can because you can't make it where you did make it. Now you're just going to come over and think you can just succeed over here where we are. To me, that's not so much about art, but it's like, oh, you think you can't be the governor of Minnesota, You're gonna move to Arkansas and run trying to be the governor because you think we're idiots. So my point with Beyonce was she doesn't have to do that. She's doing it on her own. She's never been bigger yet she still wants to do country infused music and some of the music that is considered country now. And I could go back, and I've been in a couple documentaries where I.
Speaker 3: Talk about music.
Speaker 1: Even if you go back to like Bob Wills, who is traditional, like extremely he was the first guy that ever amplified as steal guitar, an electric still guitar that's not country. Well now it's the first time they made an electric guitar. You can go to the greats who've all been told you're not country. Generally, the people that aren't country and make it are the ones that reset country. So people that yell, hey, your country music, this is I like traditional country. At one point that traditional wasn't Beyonce today, right. And I've been lucky enough to sit with these artists who have been told that, and actually just Garth for example, everybody Garth's the greatest car. Garth wasn't country according to eighty percent of country music for a while because how he was doing his concerts. So I've often said, the people that say that something's not country, they almost have to exist. If everything stayed the same country music would die if everything stayed traditional country music would die. Any art I just happen to be in this one and that that ain't country. It's annoying as crap. But if it didn't happen, I don't think the format would be able to progress. Like so, I was upset with the Beyonce think, and I got a lot of offers to go and do all these TV shows, but I've found that going on with somebody else controls the narrative. And you're talking about race, that's tricky because they will cut, they'll cut your promo, and as a white dude, I'm just I'm gonna talk talk about it in a mine, right, But I'm super happy that now people are being way more understanding of black art, at female artists, bands, anything that's not considered traditional country for now, because it's going to be traditional country in ten years and history is going to be on the side of the same side it's always been on progression.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you talked about being the napster kid, and you talked about being the Bill Gates situation where if he didn't live in that town, there wouldn't be sure. I actually think that you and I because we're roughly the same age. You and I are going to be bringing children into the world. People that are younger now, they're going to laugh at us. Dude, they're going to laugh at us and go, you told somebody what a genre was, right, that's offensive. You told someone how they had to feel about something.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: They're going to look back and you and I are supposedly the outliers, the disruptors, the rule breakers, even us compared to where the world will be, which is a beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: By the way, they'll laugh.
Speaker 1: It's very socratic, I'll say, because we're so smart. We know we're not that smart, right, Like I don't. I have no confidence that I know anything about art. I have confidence that eventually my sensibilities will get me to a spot that I realized I don't know. So I'm gonna trust what I can find out.
Speaker 5: Good cass up, little food for yourself life. Oh it's pretty bad, it's pretty beautiful. Laugh a little more THI. You're kicking it with four with Amy Brown.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown. And here's what we talked about this week on my podcast. I want to talk about a myth of dyslexia, and that is that it's a sign of low intelligence.
Speaker 7: Which is the furthest thing from the truth.
Speaker 8: A lot of your millionaires, a lot of Hollywood actors, Chaining Tatum different, they are dyslexic, and they will talk about having to reredescript and reread a script. But these are successful people. These are very smart people. Albert Einstein, they said he was dyslexic. I saw a stat that's like seven out of ten millionaires.
Speaker 7: And I don't know how scientifically proven it was.
Speaker 8: We're dyslexic. And you had her on your show from Shark Tank. I was fascinated with her talking about her dyslexia. And I had always told entrepreneurship is a great way for dyslexics to go because they think so out of the box.
Speaker 7: Has nothing to do with intelligence at all.
Speaker 6: That was Barbara Corcoran, by the way, and yeah, it was it was cool to hear her say that, especially right after we had been diagnosed with it. And it's a it's a spectrum and you should get tested if you think you have it, or you know. You even said some adults come in to get their kids tested and they don't even know that they have it, but then they start to get curious. And for me, I think I always had a curiosity, but I would have never gotten tested because I just didn't put enough eggs in that basket that it could actually be dyslexia. But that's also because I had a misunderstanding of what dyslexia actually is. And I also have a question about it being hereditary. Does it often come from someone in our family?
Speaker 7: It does?
Speaker 8: It can skip generation, but like if you were to have a biological child, they would have a fifty percent more likelihood of having dyslexia.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, quick question about that, because if I was meant to be left handed and I was, you know, encouraged to be right, and that crossed the wires in my brain because dyslexia it's hereditary. Is it just because my brain was susceptible to that? Like if I didn't have dyslexia, my family somewhere, which my sister and I have a theory that it was potentially our dad, and I wish she was alive so that I could have him get tested.
Speaker 3: But he hated to read.
Speaker 6: He did not have dyscalcula because he was really great at math. But he was left handed, and he was very creative.
Speaker 8: And they're doing studies now like high school football players. They are finding that there can be a concussion related dyslexia.
Speaker 7: New studies that have just come out.
Speaker 8: I've been reading it just because it's fascinating to me that a brain injury can actually cause it.
Speaker 6: Well, I was getting some neurofeedback done a year and a half ago, is when I started, maybe two years ago, and she did a little scan over on my brain and she said, the front part of my brain, I guess had an injury of sorts, and your brain doesn't know the difference between an emotional trauma and a physical trauma. Yes, So all she could see was that there was tru to the brain right there. And she asked me if I had ever hit my head as a kid or anything, and I told her about a time that I was playing hide and seek and I slid headfirst into my parents' bed because the bed was base and I was about to get tagged, and so I slid and my arms went straight under on the carpet through the bed, but then my head hit the bedpost and I had to get stitches. And it's right there, and she goes, that's right when your add could have come into action. Yes, And I thought, what, I hit my head as a kid and that could be my ADD Like I thought that was something you were just born with. But she said, yeah, I know that trauma to your head could have been the culprit.
Speaker 8: Well, and my son had brain surgery because he battled brain cancer. So that was one thing that was really hard for us to separate. Okay, what is medical, what's educational? What is from surgery is what is not. That's one of the reasons it took us so long to be able to find help for him.
Speaker 6: Well, what signs can parents look for, Like if they're thinking, well, maybe I should get my kid tested or maybe I should get myself tested. What are signs people can look for.
Speaker 7: There's different signs for different ages.
Speaker 8: So for the young ones, if they are having a really hard time rhyming, that's usually a flag because having trouble rhyming is the number one thing for younger kids that you see and then you're riding your b's and d's backwards, those kind of things.
Speaker 7: But that can be natural until about seven.
Speaker 8: Mirror writing a complete sentence forwards or backwards. That's a huge flag, and some kids realize that it's cool trick and they don't want to switch it. Just realizing that I am not remembering things and it's not an age related thing. It's like, I read that whole paragraph, I can't remember what I was even looking for in it. Uptence to read is always a big sign inability to rhyme, to change up your phonetics your words, kind of like the test that we did after the Bobby Bone show where I had you switching around and taking parts of words out.
Speaker 6: Let's do an example of that and I'll do it.
Speaker 8: Okay, So the word toast replaced the first sound with a.
Speaker 6: C coast post.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 6: I think that's a good example, And then we did the syllable one.
Speaker 7: Yes. That was why I called in.
Speaker 8: Was Eddie talking about the cabbage because he couldn't figure out why they were saying it had so many sounds.
Speaker 7: So cabbage is cut.
Speaker 8: But at.
Speaker 7: Cabbage it has five distinct sounds.
Speaker 8: It has more letters than that, and it has less syllables than that.
Speaker 7: But those are the phonemes.
Speaker 6: That was what he saw on TikTok. Yes, okay, let's run through that one. Give me a word and I'll do the letter sounds.
Speaker 8: Okay, so through the the root.
Speaker 6: I feel like that one's a little tricky. It is is it three?
Speaker 7: Because it's the that's one sound er? Ooh, so through got it?
Speaker 6: It gets a little tricky. But we did a lot of those. And from the results of my test, and this is something I did one on one with you after the show, like a week or two after. What did that show you about what I had going on?
Speaker 8: It showed me that you have double deficit, which you have a phonological processing. You can process your sounds, but it does take you a little bit to be able to manipulate them, and it probably affects you more with your reading and comprehending because you don't realize how hard you're working with your brain to get all those phonetics out into all of that.
Speaker 2: Let's do it live, Oh the two so loser?
Speaker 3: What up? Everybody? I am lunchbox.
Speaker 9: I know the most about sports, so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports.
Speaker 3: Opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius. What up, y'all?
Speaker 10: A hiscison, I'm from the North, I'm in Alpha Male. I live on the West side of Nashville with Baser, my wife. We do have a white picket fence at the apartment complex. Soon I'm gonna have two point five kids, and yes, sadly, I will die of a heart attack when I'm seventy two years old.
Speaker 2: Here's a clip from the last podcast.
Speaker 3: Ah, so I did play golf yesterday. Whoa music bed?
Speaker 10: Don't know if it's playing or not.
Speaker 9: And I got a glimpse into what maybe our future is, maybe you and Justin's future. But it was like, wow, this is the future of a friendship or relationship that.
Speaker 3: Lasts so long.
Speaker 2: So this is a good story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got paired up. Well, I show up.
Speaker 9: I just walked up because I didn't know if I was gonna be able place. I just walked up. I'm like, hey, any chance you can fit a single in? He's like, oh, man, I got t Time's book the rest of the afternoon. But uh, oh Phil and Bill. I mean, if they haven't gone yet, you can you can pair up with them. And he goes out there, Bill, Bill, hey, this one's gonna pair up with you.
Speaker 3: And I walk up and they're like, oh, how's it going.
Speaker 9: Nice to meet you? And I'm great, great, to meet you. I'm celebrating my dad's birthday.
Speaker 2: But he's not here. Oh he's celebrating.
Speaker 3: No I did. I was telling them.
Speaker 10: Somebody a single told me they're celebrating a birthday loser.
Speaker 9: They're like, oh, is your dad gonna play with Like, no, he lives in Texas, man, I'm celebrating his birthday by being outside and playing golf.
Speaker 3: Nice And so these two guys.
Speaker 9: Know each other, and Phil and Bill they're like, I mean, chatting it up, and they're nice friendly. About the fourth hole, they start talking trash Root tell you it feels like Bill, there ain't no damn way you're gonna make that shot. Ain't no way you're gonna make that damn shot Bill, and Bill trains it.
Speaker 2: Are they're playing for skins or what they're playing money.
Speaker 9: They're in a tournament and they play a couple of times a week, and they play money games at different courses, and they usually book three tea times, and they didn't get in the three tea times, so they were on their own and they just had to be honest about their score.
Speaker 2: Highly illegal though.
Speaker 3: The betting, Yeah yeah, I understand.
Speaker 9: And Bill looks at me and goes you think Phil gets in my head when he tells me I'm not gonna miss a shops. I mean, I met him in eighty seven. I haven't listened to him what he said since ninety two, and I'm like, dude.
Speaker 10: It went back since eighties nineties. That's forty years, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: And I felt like, oh my god, this is the future of what life is going to be like if we are still doing this podcast in thirty to forty years.
Speaker 2: Playing at the local shitty muni.
Speaker 3: And they were.
Speaker 9: They were so funny the way they would talk to each other. I mean, one would hit a good shot, he'd be like, not that good. He'd be like, you could have hit it farther. You know, like they know nothing nice to each other, and it was all in good fun.
Speaker 3: But I banged your life.
Speaker 2: No, did you try and join in? No, I had sex with Martha last night.
Speaker 3: No coach. Then they turned Yeah. Phil and Bill get a love set. I don't want I don't want to upset Phil and Bill.
Speaker 2: He's about to drive I banged your wife last night.
Speaker 3: What Bill gets out of the cart?
Speaker 9: Do you feel the lines pil grabs his wedges are knocking me out.
Speaker 3: I know we didn't do any of that.
Speaker 2: Come here, you millennial mothercker. I got to just hit you over the he set up a bit.
Speaker 9: Now, then Bill tells me, he goes. Bill's always like man, he goes, Bill goes. Phil's always bragging about how many fairways he hits. Oh I hit eight fairways, he goes.
Speaker 3: But you know what he done that.
Speaker 9: He doesn't brag about how many green and regulations he hits.
Speaker 3: He goes.
Speaker 9: He can say, oh I hit eight fairways. How many girls you get to thank you?
Speaker 3: Great? So then we're on the tenth t.
Speaker 2: Are you playing money with him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 9: No, no, because they're in a pool. They're in a like the tea times after us. There's like three or four of them. Those are the guys that are playing for money. So they keep scoring. Then they go in the clubhouse and they dibby up their money.
Speaker 3: And at some point we.
Speaker 10: Got to go to a country club and pay ten grand a year, because I mean, you just going to a course and hoping for a tea time. We don't have to deal with that if we can afford it.
Speaker 9: Country here's the problem with the country club. You fork out ten twenty thirty thousand dollars to join. You never get jets just to join. Then you have to pay per month. I don't know, Oh.
Speaker 10: You do, yeah, but I feel like they always get the tea times they want.
Speaker 9: Well, probably, yeah, because you're paying fifty thousand dollars for a tea time.
Speaker 10: I went to this course one time with bones Bro. There was no tea times. They just they said we'll make sure you get on. You just show up and they get you on.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 9: That's sort of like the local muni when I call them like hey, no, no, I'm like, hey, I got a single? Can I get a tea time for one o'clock? Oh, we don't put singles on the T sheet. You can just come out and we'll try to get you in. Well, why would you not put me on the T sheet if I called and requested it. Now you are down to three spots available for that tea time. It's that simple. Not putting a single on the T sheet is stupid because then I am forced to play Russian Roulette and hope I'm gonna get out there and play when I just show up at the course.
Speaker 10: Right, Well, and there should be twelve minute windows, and sometimes they can kind of fudge those a little bit and squeeze you in right.
Speaker 9: But I'm saying to say, you don't put a single on the T sheet. So if I called the day before and I'm like, hey, I want to play at one o'clock tomorrow, Sorry, we don't put singles on the T sheet. Cool, Then I show up to play at one o'clock, they're like, oh yeah, you're gonna to wait till one forty five. Well why I called yesterday and said I want to get on him one?
Speaker 3: That's the Neuni life. I mean, it's so frustrating. What about your thing though? You do?
Speaker 2: You say you have a friend and then you show up he canceled last second.
Speaker 9: Man, I should do that more. I always say too, And then oh man, he's not gonna make it.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, you're.
Speaker 10: We got ba justin got a little hookup. A member passed and so we got his name. Oh so we can use his name.
Speaker 3: Rest in peace?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: No, no, no he didn't.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He just doesn't go anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah, my bad. But anyway, back to Phil and Bill Philling Bill a bill.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 9: So we're on we're on number ten, right and I'm like, oh, so, how'd you guys meet. Phil looks at me and goes, Dorms eighty seven, Oh, my Vanderbilt, no, tennessee the falls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you get any inside information on the game tonight?
Speaker 9: I did not get any inside information, but they they are big fans of the balls. Think they're going all the way.
Speaker 2: That's inside information, thank you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but they did look at me and they said, yeah, Phil goes. I came down the stairs and I saw them over there playing ping pong and I was like, I can whoop their ass at ping pong? And he said so, I walked up to the table, said I got next, and I was like, really, so, how'd you do?
Speaker 3: Phil? He goes.
Speaker 9: All Bill was the best ping pong player, he smoked me, he goes. But that's where it started, at the ping pong table.
Speaker 3: In the dorms.
Speaker 2: You good at ping pong.
Speaker 9: I used to play with my brother. He used to beat me because he was older. But now I whoop his ass. Really, yeah, you know he's really good at ping pong.
Speaker 10: Garran, Oh, the grocery store guy. Yeah, what does he do playing the aisles with?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: They play over the aisle he does cake batter mix, puts it up and then gets a beer pong thing from Yeah, the aisles.
Speaker 3: He's really good.
Speaker 10: It's actually pretty competitive when it's me, Boomer, Muffy and my mom.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh no no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, Boomer, me, my mom and Baser. That's really competitive.
Speaker 3: It can't be that competitive.
Speaker 10: It is because me and Boomer are about even and my mom and Base. We played double Yeah, we played on it. Oh dude, it's awesome. We went forever at the condo.
Speaker 9: That's fun. Yeah, that's a good time. Yeah, I mean Garrett, I mean the drunken knights. At his house, he has a ping pong table in the garage and he'd back his old camaro out and set up the ping pong table, played till three or four in the morning.
Speaker 10: We had a ping pong table at Metropolitan. Billy brought it in. Guess how many times we played our senior year at college.
Speaker 3: Two zero.
Speaker 10: Oh, we played a thousand games of beer pong, though, okay, we never once played ping pong, so he.
Speaker 9: Got his money's worth. We used to play ping pong when we'd go visit my mom's parents, my grandma and grandpa on my mom's side in Chicago. They had a ping pong table in the basement. Such an easy thing to have, Oh my gosh. We would play for hours down there. That was the only time we play. We never played ping pong except when we went to go visit him. And of course, my brother's two years older than me, maybe two and a half years.
Speaker 3: Older than me.
Speaker 9: I don't know exactly how you do the math, so he was obviously better than me. So I'd sit down there and play him, and he'd beat me up back one more game, of course, play him again.
Speaker 3: He beat me up.
Speaker 10: Bout just one more, one more game, I connect four, Just one more, just one more, and we would play forever.
Speaker 3: It was so freaking fun.
Speaker 2: This is gonna blow you, so get on your knees. They now make little things that just attached to any table for ping pong.
Speaker 3: Well, you need a ping pong table, you need the proper bounces.
Speaker 10: Nah, you can just do a kitchen table. Did we did in my grandma's place. It was me and Boomer just smacking it over Christmas on her fine china table.
Speaker 3: Okay, now that might be fun, so not legal regulation size.
Speaker 2: It sucks when it goes to the end because they're rounded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so it'll just fall off.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: So back to Phil and Bill.
Speaker 9: We're on the course right five, and then they start talking about, oh, dude, you know what we used to do for howurds hegos RBI baseball And they started breaking down which team they would play with, and they started doing the sound effects strata matic and I was like, this is exactly what we did. But I was eight years old and they were in college.
Speaker 10: Carl Lyne, she's a queen and talking it was so she's getting really not afraid to feel its episol sold.
Speaker 5: Just let it flow.
Speaker 3: No one can do it quiet.
Speaker 12: Cary Lone, its sounding Caroline.
Speaker 13: Hey, Hey, it's Caroline Hobby And this week on Get Real, I have such an incredible podcast. As Chovall. She is one of the world's best wedding dress designers, but had signed a terrible contract and lost all the rights to her birth name. Could not be a part of any of the wedding dress design industry. It was a breach of contract, so she had to reinvent herself start a whole new brand. Now she launched as Cheval and she sells amazing shoes with such heart, such soul and tons of glitter. Her story is phenomenal. She's an inspiration to young women on how to take ownership of yourself, of your brand, how to be prepared, how to be smart, how to be savvy, and how to be a boss. And she also teaches us that when everything falls apart, you can rebuild and come back stronger than ever. So get excited for this week's episode of Get Real with Cheval. Okay, So, looking back now, because you've now gone through a divorce with your relationship romantically, but also with your business. You know, yeah, so you've obviously dealt with some red flags that have materialized into like kind of erupting.
Speaker 2: What are way to say?
Speaker 14: You know, you always have the red flags just go away, and now it's a erupting and you're like, oh no, it's coming.
Speaker 13: It's a red flags. Can you kind of speak to all of us out there who are living with blinders on and young because it started when you're young.
Speaker 3: Do red flags ever go away?
Speaker 14: I don't think so. I don't know. I guess it's all relative and there are exceptions to the rule, But I do think I relate to a lot of women that have that intuition or that gut feeling that you ignore or you push down or you come up with conspiracy theories against yourself of like what it's not, you know, because you want something to happen or you want it to materialize in a certain way, and.
Speaker 13: It's always like close. It's like so close. There's so many things that are so good about it. You're like, it's like seventy percent there, let's just.
Speaker 14: Not worry about the last thirty percent, right exactly, It is the majority overall, that's right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're gonna round up.
Speaker 14: Oh goodness, and then it starts to grow the opposite way, so right, Yeah, but I don't know. I do feel like tenacity and resilience and just like the idea of success is really about just like recognizing the ebbs and flows of life, but knowing that the failures are going to happen, the mistakes are going to happen, and if you can maintain your light, you know, and maintain your enthusiasm for what you do, that is a sign of.
Speaker 12: Success for me.
Speaker 13: Yeah, this is your message.
Speaker 14: Oh, that is totally the message.
Speaker 13: No matter how successful you are in your personal relationships or your business relationship, your actual message is maintain your light through the dumpster fires exactly.
Speaker 14: Just yeah, and it be lighter than that dumpster fire somehow, Like how shine the dumpster fire?
Speaker 13: I saw this too, and you have so you have so much in common with Taylor Swift, you know, because she's in legal battles as well. But also she said too, like she's had so much stuff on her and she said, you just have to get through all this and then have more fun than everybody else. And I'm like, that is so true, because when you're going through the worst stuff, it really takes your fun away, it takes your light away. You can really like crawl in a hole and die.
Speaker 14: Yes, you cannot unpack and live there, you know, because you'll take a visit every once in a while.
Speaker 13: I have to like take a vacation there for a while. Did you have a permanente, say for a minute, and not a permanent Do you have like a you know, like a residency for a second?
Speaker 14: I did?
Speaker 2: I absolutely did.
Speaker 14: I feel like that's the healthy thing to do.
Speaker 13: Just you got to get in there. I mean you have to like meet it and.
Speaker 2: Say, who the hell are you?
Speaker 14: What are we doing?
Speaker 13: Like what do you want from me?
Speaker 14: Yeah. And I think there's a bit of accountability too in that space because when something like that.
Speaker 13: Happened, accountability look at you claim and some stuff, because there's always your side their side in the truth.
Speaker 14: Right there is like a okay, well there must have been something that I did for this to happen, you know, and the right and I think in accepting it and owning part of it.
Speaker 13: That's a maturity right there.
Speaker 14: It's maturity. But it's also like I didn't know what I didn't know, right and then like I am paying the debt for my own naivety or ignorance.
Speaker 13: And don't we all do that?
Speaker 3: Though we do.
Speaker 13: You just did it on a bigger scale.
Speaker 3: On a legal way out there, because that's not okay.
Speaker 13: So now that way, let's move into plot line B here, which is where you really like hit your stride, Like you become the wedding dress designer. You are the face of say yes to the dress? Like, how did that even happen? Let me, there are a few things out there, and then let's unpack it. You become like the face of say yes to the dress, like you are helping like over forty thousand brides find their wedding dress or something like that, like thousands, like thousands, thousands.
Speaker 14: It was wonderful.
Speaker 13: You are the wedding dress designer. I mean everybody knows you. Everybody's talking about you. You're pinned on everything. It's like that's you. It's not the name Chaval, by the way, it's a different.
Speaker 14: Name, correct, which the distinction is needed.
Speaker 13: Yes, because Chaval is not wedding dress dresses. It is wonderful things. So that that's plotline CE So we'll move to that later. There's just so many things. I don't want to get it confused.
Speaker 3: I know you're doing a great job.
Speaker 13: Okay, And so you become this like epic designer and you probably needed some money to get your business going right or something because you found a partnership and this partner you found a company to back you financially, right this one, yes, yeah, yeah, because we're black on, like we're back in the beginning this plot. Yeah, when you well plot B plat was childhood. Now plot be into like your career. So you are going to launch and become the successful wedding dress designer. But do you need a backer, like you need someone to help you launch this?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So basically it was a house of brands existing with other designers and it was almost like a plug and play in that, like they had existing distribution and manufacturing. And then you know, I was coming to the table and was offered an employment role as a head designer, but it would be using my name as the name for the collection.
Speaker 13: Okay, wait, okay, okay, So this is the part that we got to break down. You were this is like it's almost like a record label. So like there's a speak in music terms, there's like a record label and you're going to be a signed artist, but the record label owns is like a machine behind it all. But you're an artist signed and you're the artist is using your name, so you're going to be the brand and you're going to have the creativity which would be like your songs that you create and you put it out and you go tour and you're the face of it and all that. But yes, you are technically kind of owned by the record label or the bigger brand.
Speaker 11: Yes.
Speaker 14: And every contract is nuanced, right, so it's not always generalized. But in my case, it was an employment contract as a head designer.
Speaker 13: Okay, an employment contract as a head designer with this big brand, but the name is going to be your name.
Speaker 14: Correct, Yeah, So I had to give rights for my name to be trademarked because it was the name of the collection.
Speaker 13: If I don't think anything of that when you're twenty five, right, actually sounds may be cool.
Speaker 14: It was the chance to shoot my shot. And I think being that age, and I had a little industry experience under my belt about four or five years and I've already I've already spearheaded my own collections and been designing very heavily. I had a robust resume coming in.
Speaker 13: Okay, and you had some some you're cooking with great cooking.
Speaker 3: Yeah you're cooking you had with Grease.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 13: I saw that from Landy Wilson sew cooking.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I love it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So and then so they were you were desirable, They wanted.
Speaker 14: You absolutely, and I actually sopped them out originally and I presented, you know, a bit of a business model and it happened very fast. So from the time of like, you know, we're going to offer you this to like here's the contract. And I think at the time, I just didn't want to lose my opportunity and knowing how many people want to be designers and get their shot, and I felt like the responsibility was on me holy to show them what I could do and what like.
Speaker 13: And to agree maybe to what they want, so you could.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and not be combative, not push back, not ever like put anything out there that would ever seem like you know, I'm not a team player, and I think a lot of young designers relate to that, and thinking, you know, if I show any sign of being difficult or they're gonna walk away, They're not gonna want to work with me, and I'll write my opportunity exactly.
Speaker 12: Hey, it's Mike d and this week a Movie Mike's Movie podcast, I did obscure movie quotes from famous movies. Whether you're just a casual film fan or consider yourself a movie buff, it's fun to play along and try to see if you can name where these obscure movie quotes are from. So here are a few from the episode to test your knowledge. If you want to hear the full thing, be sure to subscribe to my podcast. But right now, here's just a little bit of Movie Mike's Movie Podcast. Here is the first obscure movie quote. Name the movie and big old fat right mean that one should be pretty easy. Character has a really distinct voice. The year is nineteen ninety four. And again here's the movie.
Speaker 3: Quote and big old fat run mean.
Speaker 12: This is not the biggest quote from this movie, but the one I find to be one of the most memorable obscure movie quotes. And the answer is Forrest Gump. I just love that seed of him going through all of the different types of rain, and that one always just stick out to me, just big old fat rain. Obviously, I think the most overrated movie quote in this movie.
Speaker 3: Is life is like a box of chocolates.
Speaker 12: That is probably the first movie quote I learned.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 12: I think even before I watched Forrest Gump, I knew that quote to the point that I saw it in the movie, I was like, oh, that is what that is from. But there are so many great really obscure movie quotes in Forrest Gump that one just happens to be my favorite. So again, starting off easy, here we go. Here's the second obscure movie quote.
Speaker 11: Hey guys, ooh big golf suh? All right, well see you later.
Speaker 12: Also from nineteen ninety four, or can you name that movie? Here's that obscure movie quote again, Hey.
Speaker 11: Guys, cool, big golf suh, All right, well, see you later.
Speaker 12: There's a famous story behind this quote. This actor is known for improvising lines, and in this scene specifically, there are two other people he is interacting with that are actually not actors at all. They weren't even paid for their role because they didn't have any speaking lines. Which if you watch a movie and notice there are extras that don't say anything, and it feels weird at times because you have these two maybe three main characters talking, having a conversation, and there are other people that, if you were in a normal situation, would definitely have something to say or react to what is going on. That is because if an extra speaks a line, that person has to be paid. They don't always have to be credited in the movie credits, but if anybody speaks a line in a movie or a TV show, it starts to become a more and more expensive production. So in this case, these two other people who were in this scene didn't make any money. So here's the quote one more time.
Speaker 11: Hey guys, ooh big gulf suh, all right, well, see you later.
Speaker 12: And that movie is dumb and dumber. That is essentially me in every single social situation I get into.
Speaker 3: I have nothing to say.
Speaker 12: I am so socially awkward. My biggest worry every time I am with a group of people is I am going to run out of topics to talk about unless they want to talk about movies. And even if they want to talk about movies, my social anxiety takes over and I feel like I'm talking too much or feel like I'm way too nerdy. So that is me, that is me making conversation. Moving on, can you name this obscure movie quote celebrating its twenty fifth anniversary. I remember laughing so much at this scene whenever I first watched this movie. I'll explain exactly what is happening in this clip and the reason I was laughing so hard. But again, here is that obscure movie quote number four, and that movie is South Park, Bigger, Longer, and uncut. It is the scene wherever they dare Kenny to light his fart on fire and then Kenny is engulfed in flames and they are trying to put him out. And if you're unfamiliar with the show South Park, you're probably a more refined individual. Than I am. But in every single episode of that show, Kenny dies in some really weird way, some really brutal way. And in the movie he goes out by well lighting his fart on fire, and then Cartman, who is that voice you heard there, is trying to put out the fire with a stick, and instead of being concerned with this friend Kenny on fire, who is probably going to die, he's instead worried about the stick being on fire.
Speaker 3: Can you name this movie?
Speaker 7: Shut your mouth when you're talking to me?
Speaker 12: I just love the reaction from the actors in this movie. This scene takes place in the opening part. You have some people in a legal hearing and this is but one person says to the other party. Again, here's that movie quote.
Speaker 7: Oh shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
Speaker 12: And that movie is from two thousand and five Wedding Crashers. The two thousands were riddled with great movie quotes. Comedies in particular. If I could go back and recreate one decade of movies, it would be two thousands comedies. And speaking of two thousand comedies, this isn't a full on comedy. It's kind of a dramedy.
Speaker 7: Can you just hold on for a second. I'm on my Hamburger phone.
Speaker 12: This movie had so many great memorable movie quotes. This one was more on the obscure side. But I remember at this time in two thousand and seven, this was a really big time for movie quote merchandise. Any movie that came out had to have some t shirt at hot topic with any obscure movie quote because people were eating these up. I think the movie that really started this trend was Napoleon Dynamite, which was kind of an unexpected hit in the early two thousands and did really well on merchandise. And the two thousands were also a time where graphic teas were king. You weren't cool unless you went to J. C. Pennies or Walmart and got a funny graphic tea with something novel written on it.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm not.
Speaker 12: Gonna lie, it looks a little bit outdated. If you're out in twenty twenty four with a gravity like this, Hey, if that your thing, more power to you. But also you're probably stuck in another decade. But again, here is that movie quote.
Speaker 1: Can you just hold on for a second, I'm on my Hamburger phone.
Speaker 12: And that is from two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: Juno. What a great movie that really.
Speaker 12: Holds up as a fantastic cast, a fantastic soundtrack, and a bunch of killer movie quotes.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's Sunday Sampler. Have a good Sunday, Happy Easter, everybody.
Speaker 5: My grand stay