Speaker 1: If this is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listening podcast, you can't predict anything.
Speaker 2: The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by first Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for ELP. First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T l I t E dot com. Joined today by world famous text and Jesse Griffiths, author of uh, the very creatively titled The Hog Book and the Turkey Book, just comes right out and tells you what the book is. Yeah, you don't need to look at that book and wonder what those books are about.
Speaker 3: No, by design, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've accused being a wild hog apologist. Jesse Griffins knows how to make phenomenal stuff out of wild hogs of all varieties, and The Hog Book tells you all about how to do.
Speaker 3: That top to bottom.
Speaker 2: Anyone that tells you, oh, you can't eat them, and you can eat them when they're this age, or eat them at that age, or eat them.
Speaker 3: When they're one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twenty pounds or pregnant or not pregnant, or if you ever want to know, like, what is actually up about wild hogs from a guy who has handled more. This is a bold statement, Bungus, stick by it.
Speaker 3: We can vet it. I'll be honest.
Speaker 2: A guy that has handled okay, a guy that is handled and served more wild hog meat than anybody.
Speaker 4: On the planet.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, it'd be hard to quantify, but an awful lot. How about a lot, A lot, a lot hundreds, yeah, not thousandsed, a lot, seen a lot of them dead.
Speaker 2: Served a lot of it, a lot of them, eating a pile of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, the hog book is no, it's no guesswork, it's no rumor. It's just like what you know to be true from a career of working in them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like answers to questions and people, would you know over the years, be like, what you know? Can you eat them? If they're one hundred and twenty pounds and over? Can you eat a bore? Can you eat them? A South? It's not pregnant. You need a South? It is pregnant. You know what's your favorite recipe? Name it? And you know, just kind of a compilation of answers the questions that I got, and.
Speaker 2: Then follow that up with the Turkey Book, which tells you everything you'd ever want to know about preparing turkeys, preparing every part of every part of every turkey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely that one was more of a kind of dressed for the job. You want deal, really want to just spend a whole spring turkey hunting, So he documented it and then did a much recipes good deal.
Speaker 5: Those are both available at the meat eater dot com.
Speaker 2: Correct and then what we're gonna He's been on the show a few times before. He recently got a a Michelin Star for Die a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but to be clear Michelin Green Star.
Speaker 4: Well no, but I'm saving that.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, Phil backtracks a little bit. I just ruined it.
Speaker 2: I was toying with reading this Mercer longs Die Do a review. I'm just gonna read the first line. My quail plate was very good, fantastic, Actually.
Speaker 6: How many stars?
Speaker 7: Nervous?
Speaker 4: Come on, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 7: I don't want to.
Speaker 5: But long was what was what? Episode number? Guest?
Speaker 4: I don't want to do it.
Speaker 3: I gotta know, you know.
Speaker 2: It's the odd Dad meatballs. Very good.
Speaker 3: Building up, a little more. She's gotta hurt, all right.
Speaker 2: The nil guy steakak he would have preferred the chimmy cherry on the side.
Speaker 5: Sounds like and that Mercer Lawe was on episode four oh seven. California's ward would have.
Speaker 2: Been a great dish if they had just put it on the side.
Speaker 6: Can we pause for a second. How does this make you feel?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: Across the bar? Across the bar very bold Flavors never had a meal quite like it.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: There's a little more in there. I'll share with you later.
Speaker 3: We'll just kind of little Yeah, he's my favorite.
Speaker 2: It's like, honest to god, Mas Died do A is my favorite restaurant.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's super kind of.
Speaker 2: Another thing I like about it. We've talked about this when you're on the show before. Like something that most restaurants would be like would be like in glowing neon signs and ship outside. But like at the bottom of Jesse's I don't know if you changed it. At the bottom of Jesse's menu says everything is from around here.
Speaker 3: From the author of the book, just in.
Speaker 2: Little letters at the bottom of the menu, everything is from around here, meaning it's like all local stuff. It's like all Texas.
Speaker 3: We call that an economy of dialogue.
Speaker 4: Everything is from around here.
Speaker 8: It's not sandwiched into the description of each dish.
Speaker 3: Now, don't put farms in there.
Speaker 2: And it's just everything that everything around.
Speaker 5: You still have that slogan because I'm wearing the original shirt. It says, eat a hog, Save the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's more hashtag, you know, feral hog, apologies, apologists, propaganda.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk Jesse a bunch about food, cooking food.
Speaker 6: Well, I want to know real quick, how many Michelin Star restaurants are Michelin Green Star restaurants? Uh serve things with like a ramikin of something on the side.
Speaker 3: None of them.
Speaker 2: You need to put that chimney cherry in a squirt bottle.
Speaker 3: Catchup, we could get it in a little packet.
Speaker 2: Then you get open plastic.
Speaker 7: What is a green Star?
Speaker 2: That's what the whole show is about.
Speaker 7: I didn't read that. I didn't read the notes.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't say that. Notes just lives in my head. Now now it's now we're gonna turn the heat the Yanni. After all that praise. Now we're going to criticize Yanni up and down.
Speaker 4: You're in a little tear this morning. We set there surprises.
Speaker 7: I should have read the notes.
Speaker 2: Well, Yanni killed a kill fish.
Speaker 7: Cool to remove sailfish from the water in the US.
Speaker 4: So I'll tell the story.
Speaker 2: Yannie went to like a little party, a party in Guatemala. Yeah, it wasn't like a fiftieth birthday party.
Speaker 7: Oh well, we went on a fishing trip to celebrate celebrate my brother in law's fiftieth birthday. We didn't do much partying.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yanni went on a birthday fish and trip. Well that is birthday fish and trip. He committed a terrible sin which I didn't know. I didn't know about.
Speaker 7: I'd like to point out you, Sish. I did it. The captain and the mates were like, we don't really do this, but I'm like, I really need the gripping grint, you know from the gram.
Speaker 2: Caught a sale fish for no reason, then for just to screw it, or as Mitch Hedberg said, to make it late for something and lifts it out of the water and takes a picture. Then Brendan Rund came here. What was it, RUNDI or run? He was on the show.
Speaker 4: I think it's Rundy.
Speaker 2: Rundy from the Nature Conservancy, who was on episode five thirty eight discussing a subject that now seems so incredibly dated, which was does wildlife win or lose with renewable energy? And he wrote in and saw Joannie's Instagram post and he, like many people do, and they have a problem with something, reach out decarn In the US, I didn't know this. It is now illegal to remove billfish from the water unless you're keeping them. They did ale a satellite tagging study on white marlin. If you if you leave a white marlin in the water when you catch it, the mortality rate. Now, don't do that crap where you say a number that's gonna make it fill knows what I'm talking about. Well, you guys are you can see it. I can't do like a take again, oh Jesse, take a guess and try to like play work with me here. Don't don't make it look bad. If you catch a white marlin and leave it in the water, catch them with these fishing you leave in the water and release it. What do you think the odds are he'll die.
Speaker 3: One and ten?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 2: Good job, you.
Speaker 4: Know it's only one point seven.
Speaker 2: It's only it's only one point seven percent.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Right, So you were off by a what do you call that exponential? No factor of ten? Off by a decimal point?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 5: I'm not sure about Yeah, one point.
Speaker 4: I'm not a mask. He thought ten and one hundred.
Speaker 7: It's too complicated.
Speaker 2: He thought ten and one hundred die and thought that was good, and thought that was good. But it's only one and a half and one hundred. Die if you leave in the water, if you act like Yanni, guess what the odds he'll die?
Speaker 3: Is am I taking another guess?
Speaker 2: Try to, you know, make it be that it'll work in my favor. Four out of ten, No, thirty three percent, so close but even higher. So Yanni now has lay in bed at night wondering that that.
Speaker 9: Uh but Yanni, you can you can flip it around and say, chances are you swam away and it's just fine.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what's what's Here's what the odds are. It's like in paper scissors rock, there's a one in three rights. So here's Yanni, I guess rock, paper scissors.
Speaker 4: Rock, paper scissors.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying, if you're throwing Michigan, right, every time. If you're throwing it, you got a three choice. Every time you throw let's say a scissor. That means Yanni killed a salefish. So rock nope, paper nope, scissor yep, scissor yup. Rock nope.
Speaker 7: Unless you like scissors a lot and you throw it more often, then you kill more, kill morel.
Speaker 4: Do you feel bad about this, yannest?
Speaker 7: It was an honest mistake, you know, had I known this prior to then, Like I said, the mates and the captain, they don't do this. They do. They have like a GoPro on a stick, So you just get next to the boat and the go pro shoes from way out in the water back towards the boat.
Speaker 4: Wasn't good enough for you.
Speaker 7: Of the other forty some fish that we caught, that's the way we took pictures of the few that we took pictures of. Most of the time they don't even touch the fish. They just they they have a pole with a little uh it's like, I don't know what. It's like a paper cutter basically on the end.
Speaker 3: Huh, just gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's not a curl cue.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no, it's literally a paper cutter. And it's just taped to the end of this pole and they go they go down the leader and just cut the line right above the hook and just don't even touch the hook and just let the hook rust out. They catch so many of those sailfish down there. Because we caught forty in three days, it's nothing for them to catch forty in a day. And they'll catch them with other hooks in the corner of their mouth, just like you would like could see a trout, you know that you can see the Yeah, you know it's been hooked caught before.
Speaker 4: So they do it by their trolling.
Speaker 2: Explain the process of catching stale fish.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's more in depth. It's more in depth and more sort of involved for the anglers than a lot of the trolling type fishing I've done in the past, where a lot of times you're just in a boat. The mates set up the rods, the baits are in there, you're trolling, the captain's running the boat. The fish bites a bait, it's pretty much on. A mate grabs the rod, make sure it's it's hooked, and then he hands it over to the angler and you basically real you know, that's like your job. They don't take the boat out of gear to make it extra hard for you because you got to fight like the current and the fish fighting. But here with the sailfish out of I don't know the ten lines that are in the water, there's actually only four hooks in there. Everything else is just a teaser, meaning it's just a decoy. Right. And so if you imagine these fish are hanging at the thermal climb, which is roughly eighty feet, that's what it was when we were there. That's where they're hanging and they're looking up to where to find their food. As they're cruising around. The boat comes over the top. There's all the prop wash and whatever. And then in that prop wash behind the prop washers, all these there's like a whole, you know, school of baitfish swimming is what it looks like. And there's all the smoke that's coming off of them. They call it smoke. It's the smaller wash coming off of these teasers. Right. So they look up they go, oh my god, that's what I've been looking for, you know, and they swim up the eighty feet. And so when you're in the boat, you're sitting there and you're just watching all the teasers, and then all of a sudden in one behind one teaser. Some of the teasers are like a group of baits. You see the bill all of a sudden just above the water, swatting back and forth right, because that's how they kill a flying fish or I don't know if it's sardine's whatever else they eat, but they whack them, stunts them, they turn and eat them right. So at that point the captain usually because he's up top in the bridge so he can he has a better angle to see it all, so he's they give you a really good job of explaining how it's all going to go down, and like what most importantly what right and what left is because just as like when you're guiding fly fishermen and you tell them the get cast to the right, they cast to the left, and then you say, no, jesse the other right. So the same thing happens here because he goes right long teaser and like one of the anglers goes and grabs a rod on the left side of the boat and he's like, no, the other right.
Speaker 4: It's like stage left, stage right, where is confused.
Speaker 7: So as soon as like As an angler, your job is to grab one of the baited rods. Hopefully the rod where you know the bait is the closest to said teaser. So if it's the right long you grab the rod that's got the bait in the right long position. You take out of the down rigor clip. As soon as you have it in your hands, you take it out of you put it to free spool, put your thumb on the on the spool, and you're holding it. And at that point, the mates are reeling all the teasers in right. So the sailfish is in there amongst all these teasers. He's trying to swat and kill something to eat, and all of a sudden they all disappear. And then the captain's like, hey, you're ten feet behind him.
Speaker 3: Reel up.
Speaker 7: So you flip it in gear, reel up like ten feet and he goes stop. You go back to free spool and you're holding it. He's like, wait, wait, he's right behind it. And so the sailfish looks up and goes, oh.
Speaker 4: Hey, got one.
Speaker 7: There's the one. Whammo, and he eats it and you feel like a slight tug on that ride is at that point you take your thumb on that lighting up on your drag and let him eat it and basically count to four. This is the fun part. Already told you this count to quatro, counta quattro. Yeah, you can do it in Spanish if you want. And then at that point you flip the you flip your drag and get your drag. He's on you fight the fish. If you're gonna do it on the fly, which is very popular down here, there's basically one extra step there. You have no baits in the water at all. It's all just teasers. There's no hooks, right, so there's like a dozen teasers just going behind the boat. Once the fish comes in behind it, you grab your fly rod. You have about ten or fifteen feet of line in the water. It's like dragging behind the boat. So your rod it's already drag the well, you know, you you dump it in, you get it ready, so it's you're loading your rod by that drag behind the boat again, all the mates reel up, all the h the teasers, they bring him in. The fish is still there like, well, what's up, but they bring him in close because he's following those teasers in. So if you jumped off the stern, you could land on top of the sailfish. I mean that's how you cast at them. No, no, you do. So you're holding it on one side, You've loaded your rod, and depending if that sailfish comes in on the right or the left, you're gonna make one back cast and then shoot your line. They actually want you to cast behind him. So when the fish is like, oh, where'd everything go? And then all of a sudden you start stripping and that bait you know, comes right by me.
Speaker 2: He goes, ah, there he is the captain still on the throttle.
Speaker 7: No, so to make it like legally caught by a fly rod, he can't be in gear, yeah, because the otherwise exactly, you're just trolling that fly. So basically before you cast he comes out of gear, you make one cast if it's What was hard for me to remember was that if it was the left side of the boat, you had to cast and then run over to the left corner because you didn't want to strip your fly into the prop wash because the fish loses side of it because it's you know, it's so white in there, got it, And so you want to move over to the left side. To keep your fly out in the clear water. But I don't know. I tugged it once or twelve. He ate it and then you freeze just like you would when he eats the bait right and basically he takes all the slack out of your hands. It comes tight and then if you still have it, you know, mentally in you to remember, oh he turned left, then you would sweep the rod to the right or vice versa. You know, to make sure you get that hook set, because even the fly is circle hooks right, so they really want to make sure you can't set the hook. My brother in law missed quite a few fish because.
Speaker 2: Couldn't over couldn't overcome the instinct to set the hook.
Speaker 7: Yeah, everybody loves setting the hook.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Does it put up a good toussle on a fly rod?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know. Honestly, the tackle we were using, even for the bait rods was pretty light, so both of them were pretty good. But what you learn pretty quickly is that as soon as he's on or she they're going on a mad dash run amazing jumpers. And actually I found out that the less pressure you apply with it tackle, the more they stay towards the surface, and the more jumping you get if you hook them on super heavy duty stuff and just bear down on them, which you could. These fish don't really go over one hundred pounds much. Then they'll sort of sound on you and not really jump, So they actually keep the tackle a little bit lighter to keep them near the surface, so you get the exciting jumps. And I mean we had multiple fish that jumps excess of twenty times probably.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: What is the what is the reputation of a sale fish for food for food quality? I gat it'm not good.
Speaker 7: No, No, I think it is good. I think it's just I think it's just fine to eat. Yeah, But they're really trying to protect the resource there. What happens there a lot, even though it's completely illegal, even in these Guatemalan waters is we're fishing probably thirty miles off but these pods of fish, and they don't really know exactly the numbers, but it must be thousands, because I mean there's a decent sized fleet there that might be catching you know, thirty forty fish a day per boat. But these pods elfish will move in closer to shore, and once they get into that like three four mile mark, the guild netters come out and hammer the shit out of them. Oh and so the fleet will be catching them at three miles for multiple days. But the word gets out and then all of a sudden, one night of guild netting and the fleet goes out and they're like, hey, where's all the fish? Well they went.
Speaker 6: Home, no, kid, Yeah, is steel for us, which is a great great family name. Is steel four a day for the sale fish. But yeah, super fast growing species can hit five feet in its first year. Really yeah, so but like Gianna said, you know, not super heavy, so I'm at they are considered overfished by and large, but it sounds like they're real fast growing. So like the ability to rebound the popular would be.
Speaker 4: Damn real good.
Speaker 2: Did you guys catch me Tuniani?
Speaker 7: Nope, that was definitely sort of a it would have been a plus, like like it was a possibility tuna and Dorado, but we saw neither of those, as well as Marlin. We did raise one marlin meaning same thing. He came up off the you know, thermal climb and came into the teasers. But when I got I was up in the bridge. Happened to be up there, and I got to see him. It literally looked like he came up there and then was like swimming alongside the teasers like hey, you guys, he wasn't in there, like I'm gonna mess you up. He was in there for maybe thirty seconds and then just disappeared.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it was all sale fish. But yeah, one of the highlights. You know, the fishing was great, but man, you just forget how good local food is. Like I haven't been to that many tropical places to eat pineapples where they you know, grow on trees and it's just like it's nothing like a pineapple from the eat in the United States. Same thing with the mangoes, the avocados, you know they what else papaia is that we ate and you know what they do a lot down there when we were talking about this is they season their fruit a lot, a lot of salt on the fruit. And then that thing called yeah.
Speaker 2: Ten my wife's been making that.
Speaker 4: Yeah you were saying.
Speaker 7: But yeah, so great, great food, just very fresh. Everything down there is very kind of light and fresh. Didn't eat a lot of heavy stuff. So yeah, super fun trip. The Blue Bayou Sail Fishing Lodge if you're interested.
Speaker 2: Oh, they they're like dedicated to sail fishing.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, Jennifer's my wife's cousin. Rob Or is one of the captains at the Blue Bayou sail Fishing Lodge. So you can go fish with rob.
Speaker 6: He's going to show your picture off and he's like, I, I ton't you much guarantee you can't catch this one again, but.
Speaker 4: There's a one in three he's unavailable.
Speaker 2: I don't I've never even laid eyes on a selfish alive.
Speaker 7: I only laid up eyes on one other one that we caught out of Okra Cooke, North Carolina. Ones with rob Or to you, but yeah, I haven't seen many of them.
Speaker 2: Well you know who we got, we got we're working on coming on is uh some University of Wyoming Clovis experts. Here's here's what what titilated me about, what got me excited is we were down at University of Wyoming meeting with the archaeologist down there looking at some collections. And these guys are high like very esteemed archaeologists, and they are still firm believers Clovis. First Clovis were the first Americans, and they are big believers in the Blitz hypothesis overkill. They're big believers in the overkill hypothesis with mammoths.
Speaker 4: Meaning we always give, we always have Meltzer around.
Speaker 5: Do we need a stage of debate.
Speaker 2: Well, Meltzer likes him.
Speaker 6: It's collegial, but you know, Steve will do his absolute best to create some sort of.
Speaker 4: He set it up.
Speaker 2: He set up I know you guys have they're they're like, they're respectful, they're respectful colleagues. Who I gather respectful colleagues who just disagree on a couple of things.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: And so he's gonna he's coming on and they're gonna we're working on getting them on, and they're gonna come on and lay out the case.
Speaker 4: And it's good.
Speaker 2: I don't want to like, I don't wanna get my I don't want to do my own version. That's not that good. They're gonna lay out the case that like CLOBs first, Yeah, we got to mammoth hunters.
Speaker 9: We got to see a mammoth skull that's being pieced back together. We got to see some giant mammoth tusks that you keep like lowering down to look further back on the shelf because they just keep going like just giant tusks, and Steve got to live out one of his wildest fantasies and see someone doing archaeological drawings in person, like a guy looking at a Clovis point, which is my favorite art, sketching it in fine, fine detail.
Speaker 2: He's gonna hook I'm gonna get I'm gonna get an original from him, and I'm gonna frame it put in the studio.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 2: What else happened on here? I'll walk into this office and there's this giant bone land there and I said, damn, what's that off? He said, that's a rock and I said, I thought I was a dinosaur bone. He said, so is the guy that brought it here. He said, you have it if you want.
Speaker 6: The guy brought it.
Speaker 2: Didn't you take it home with him?
Speaker 7: Dude?
Speaker 1: It looks it looks like it looks looks like the head of a big It looks like a chunk of a femur in the the end of the femur.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like percent, one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: Guy, I should have brought that back.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why our bags are already getting heavier.
Speaker 4: Because we've got some beautiful books from.
Speaker 5: Him to Speaking of bags.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, let me do one more thing than we'll talk about that bag. It would not have fit in that bag. It was a big rock. I'm gonna talk about that bag. I want to do one more thing because Randall. I've been spending a lot of time with Randall driving around, and Randall's been telling me about just the world. I wasn't aware of that he's involved in what's that State sales? Oh yeah, Randall waits for old men to die.
Speaker 3: Well, they're dying in.
Speaker 4: Rand think.
Speaker 2: I was telling Randall if he wants to get serious about this, that he would start finding grudges. It had a lot of interesting stuff, and then check on the well being of the telling some depressing stories, be like how is Bob feeling? You know, couldn't help but notice the gruage.
Speaker 8: Well when you drive when you drive past like.
Speaker 9: A ranch and you see it's just their ship everywhere, and you're like, man, how does a guy get all that stuff by buying that stuff?
Speaker 4: When that guy ye leaves this earth?
Speaker 2: So Randall goes on to state sales and when he was looking I was watching him. He's showing me in the state sale and he was looking at things that would because I have like bad organizational problems, Like I like things real organized and you can buy like like buckets buckets of assorted sockets.
Speaker 5: Oh that was like when you like went and bought like a bucket of assorted files.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Randall is like an active a state that he like him and his friends look at his state sales.
Speaker 9: Didn't know this great tools, all kinds of tools. I mean, I'm a Craigslist guy too. I'm an eBay guy to some extent. But you remember I had that there was this amazing one in Livingston recently, and the guy had just an unbelievable collection of taxidermy, like multiple full body bear mounts and buffalo them out like shoulder mounts. I think I probably sent you a dozen things from that that all got collectors caught win to that. Yeah, the real collectors caught win to that. But yeah, this guy in the Livings had an unbelievable texter.
Speaker 7: Those things actually brought some money because after we had our podcast with Hayes, he explained that those things really didn't have much value.
Speaker 9: Oh the I got priced out of the I mean you got to I had, I think I had. Sydney was all in on a couple of them up to like five six hundred dollars.
Speaker 7: What amounts did you want to have of someone else's I don't know.
Speaker 4: There was just they're like full body goat. There were multiple full body goats.
Speaker 9: There were like crazy rams at the right price.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somewhere to put it.
Speaker 9: They're amazing antelope, like dozens and dozens of antelope in this collection.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And how much were you willing to spend?
Speaker 4: Like a couple hundred bucks?
Speaker 2: Not not enough, but the well those states he was showing me was rock bottom prices.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but there's still like nine days left on well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the way he worked is they got a buddy. So he's got a buddy in a certain town and a state sale comes up in that town. The buddy's like, hey, let me know, and I'll go pick up.
Speaker 4: What you need.
Speaker 2: And so then you're kind of praying on these families, you know, you're preying on these families at the time, in a time of grief in need.
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't think you're praying on them at all. They want to sell it, making life easy, Like yeah, I mean honestly, like with my uncle.
Speaker 6: Rancher was was passing away his truck doors were you know, because you're always like driving around fixing stuff and then you're you're ending up with things that you're not going to leave out in the field, so you he would throw them in his truck, all the big organizational slots in the in the truck doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which dirt uses for his shampoo and toothpaste and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well so medicine, I have corn dog sticks in there.
Speaker 2: Those little Jeffs.
Speaker 6: Jeffs were full to the top with like nuts and bolts, and I mean more packed than like a hardware store shelf, right full to the top with nuts and bolts and sockets and stuff like that. And what we ended up doing because his shop was kind of like that too. So instead of doing like the estate sale route of like who wants to bid on this coffee can this Folger's coffee can from nineteen seventy full of assorted drivers and stuff, we just called Pacific Steel the recycler right oh, and had a dumpster delivered and then filled it full of all that stuff is recycling instead of taking the time to go through and sort it all.
Speaker 4: Got it.
Speaker 6: That's the way to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or hopefully Doug Darren's listening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well hopefully Ramble of it wasn't calling him ahead of time and being like, yeah, you're getting old. I bet all your friends are dead.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 6: That's got to be depressing anyway.
Speaker 9: Craigslist, when you see somebody who's like they're like a tradesman and they're they're getting out of the business. You know you fought like if storage units full ladders and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell the story you told me that the total he's depressing story you told me about an estate sale.
Speaker 4: I think we could tell this one.
Speaker 6: You had to wrench something out of some.
Speaker 7: Hands.
Speaker 9: No, this is actually be like I mean, it could have happened. It could have happened anywhere. But yeah, my buddy, uh his I believe his grandfather when he passed, they had in the state sale at the house and they're upstairs and they they hear a gunshot in the basement and a guy had gone to use the bathroom and had a had a handgun in his belt went off and uh killed him in like in the middle of the estate sale.
Speaker 2: Of a dark story, yeah, related to state sales.
Speaker 7: Yeah, trying to steal.
Speaker 8: The No, no, no, he brought it with him.
Speaker 4: Is there somebody it made.
Speaker 9: This whole experience, like especially traumatic sale law.
Speaker 6: That's like, well, if you die at in the state sale during the estate sale, you become part of this estate sale.
Speaker 4: Can I know?
Speaker 2: I wanted him to tell that. Yeah, it's just really kind of ruined the show. But as I thought it was going to be, I had him tell it because I made the same mistake I made when he started telling it. I thought it was going to be someone fiddling with a gun for sale at.
Speaker 4: The estate sale.
Speaker 2: And then he gets done with the story and I realized there's nothing to do with the state sales, and here he is telling it the damn podcast.
Speaker 7: Yeah, who asked him to do that?
Speaker 9: I mean, I will say, like estate sales, if you want to find a bunch of old like reloading presses and stuff like that, Like I missed the goal old ages of just stocking up on on brass and all these components, and you know, reloading handloading has gotten not more expensive, so there's a lot of guys with just closets full of stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's basically planning on your own estate sale down the line.
Speaker 4: That's one way to look at it. Yeah, gotta stock.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all you kids that are fifteen and twenty five years old right now, make a note that in twenty seventy two ish you're gonna want to check call up Randall's wife to see how Randall's.
Speaker 8: Is twenty seventy two that I'm kidding, Marry, I'm not going.
Speaker 7: To get that far.
Speaker 3: I didn't want.
Speaker 7: I didn't want to say you're going to die young.
Speaker 4: That would make me twenty seventy two. That'd make me like eighty something. Right.
Speaker 2: Someone asked me what I'm holding my hand?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What is good?
Speaker 4: Lord?
Speaker 3: What is that? What is that?
Speaker 4: Steam?
Speaker 2: The fhf Eedy packs are out, all American made backpack made out of uh they call it Challenge sailcloth waterproof. I've been Paul's been making these, and I've been getting to wear all the different ones he's come out with. He's got all the kinds of inserts for him.
Speaker 4: They're sweet.
Speaker 6: What what's your big finding on the finished product?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 6: Love it?
Speaker 2: No, this is my like, this is my travel bag. This is this is literally my EEDC bags. I keep my laptop and everything in here. I got it all figured out chords. I keep my cords here.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good spot.
Speaker 2: Keep my spectacles and my shades in this side pouch. Do you really need to know all this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Here, I keep durable up here. I keep pens and whatnot.
Speaker 2: That's where I keep that.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: He's got an insert so you can put like you can put your pistols and whatnot in there. I keep my laptop in here. Well, it's actually right here right now. And I got one of these doc bags.
Speaker 6: When it's super full of stuff? Is it comfortable to like hustle through the airport with?
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, I love it, I would say.
Speaker 2: And it's like the kind of thing that you can kick like I just cram it under my seat in front of me on the airplane. You don't have to worry about No, it's aerogonomic. It's a sweet package. What's not ergo like therefore economic.
Speaker 9: It's got a molly panel in the back so you can add another little pouches.
Speaker 2: And put pouches on there now and then. But in the end I went for just a total streamline thing because you can just kind of move around like a grease high speed. Yeah, it's just like you feel like a grease hog wearing this thing.
Speaker 9: We've been traveling a lot and you haven't. You haven't had to look for things. You haven't been losing things in our travel.
Speaker 2: No, because I got my system totally dialed in and and like I said, man, it's hard to find it completely. Uh, like I said, us made.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: The challenge sale material is that that's like actual.
Speaker 2: You can't mess it up. Sl like, No, it's just a thing they call it's a thing they call it, but you can't mess it up. You can't mess it up. At least I haven't been able to.
Speaker 6: I mean you probably could sail with it, Yes, right, sail through.
Speaker 5: And that's available at the FHL.
Speaker 2: No, there's sweet backpackers and I'm kind of like a little finicky about backpacks. What one of the areas where I get a little finicky about stuff one of the areas. There's a handful of areas that I'm very Phinny Duffel bags, backpacks that I'm like, I'm like, uh, I have big opinions about those things.
Speaker 6: You know, it's very rarely where I'm like, you know, Steve would have no opinion.
Speaker 2: On There's certain I was telling Randall though there's certain things where I had to walk away, Like I have I vowed to I will not. I no longer will argue with anybody about anything to do with caliber. Don't do it. Or for a while, I quit arguing about gear.
Speaker 8: I just wanted you're dipping your toe back in.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, he found a new group of crew members that are more uh you know, their mindsets more akin to his mindset about gear, and so it's the arguing more favorable echo chamber.
Speaker 2: Yanni once observed that, Yeah, observed one time that he's like Steve always has a different headlamp, but somehow he always has the best headlamp. It's just because he has it, it was therefore being the best, all right, Jesse, what the hell is a green Michelin star?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Uh, what's a Michelin star?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about that first.
Speaker 2: And what's a Michelin tire?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So so the Michelin company, who uh you know, owned vast rubber plantations in Southeast Asia. Day, Yeah, and they made tires, and so they started making a travel guide many many years ago, and they would rate restaurants, mostly in France, and to get one, two or three Michelin Stars was very big deal, and.
Speaker 2: It had to encourage people to drive around and.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. Uh, and so you could get one, two or three stars, and it was for the for a very long time. It was based on you know, you had to have very fine cutlery, service standards, glass where consistency it had to be for three Michelin stars was unattainable. You know. It's like, you know, very few restaurants in the world had them one star in a incredible honor right there. And a few years back they started kind of changing it up, you know, like where a Michelin Star could maybe just mean it was just an exemplary restaurant. And then famously, I think two or three years ago, they gave a Takaria in Mexico City a Michelin Star, just a place on this st like, no no servers, no nothing, it was just, uh, you know, just these very simple tacos and they got a Michelin Star and that kind of shifted that whole kind of narrative as far as what what it meant to.
Speaker 7: Get probably a little bit of a rebranding for the Michelin brand them, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just to move away from white tablecloths and French French high cuisine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean in a way, it was just like a little confusing though, because you still have restaurants shooting for three stars, but I think they still save the three stars for that white tablecloth experience. Uh. And then a couple of years ago they came out with the Green Star, which is what we got, which is a sustainability star, and it's all about sourcing, direct purchasing, ethical processes, even like employee programs, things like that. And so due to our the way that we source almost everything, I guess we were considered for it. We don't. You don't get nominated, you don't put in for it or anything. And the inspector comes along.
Speaker 2: You don't know who they are, right, No.
Speaker 8: The food's still probably got to be pretty good though, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like you could be making hot dogs off road killed deer. It doesn't mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, uh yeah, that is a component of it they list as one of the tenets of it is. And we also got a bib Gormond, which means you make the guide. We didn't get a Michelin Star, but we made the bib Gourmond, which means we're a recommended Michelin restaurant and then also a Green Star, and at last count, I think I think there was about thirty two restaurants in the United States with Green stars.
Speaker 2: Wow, I've seen some headlines recently. I want to dive into just a little bit about Michelin stars and what it means for restaurants. I would think it's like all positive, right, but if they, like I keep seeing headlines, there should be a word for when you just read a headlert Like I used to say I was reading a thing, yeah, but then now it's like, in all honesty, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to follow up question about this.
Speaker 2: I've seen like headlines alluding to the idea that it's not all like that, that there's negatives to a Michelin Star for a restaurant.
Speaker 3: Sure, but how what well? I mean, in all honesty and with regards to all the restaurants that they got Michelin stars, and in Austin, I think let's say three or four of them were barbecue places they got the star. I you know, I feel that it's a wonderful thing for them personally, I you know, having been in the industry for so long and having kind of this maybe antiquated idea of what a Michelin Star meant, really didn't want one in a way that like, I never felt like our restaurant was a in the classic sense, a Michelin Star restaurant. And also you you will start to have to deal with a good deal of scrutiny in these days. That scrutiny is can be you know, just it's pretty mean, and sometimes you wonder if it's worth it. And you will see stories.
Speaker 2: Because if you're on top, if you're on top, people just try to knock you off the top.
Speaker 3: Right it. I mean, the irony of stuff like that is like, well, we don't think you deserve a Michelin Star. And then you have to be like, well, we didn't ask for it. Somebody else said that. Or you know, if you get like a you know, top ten restaurants or something like that, you'll be like, yeah, but you don't deserve that. Well we also didn't make that call, you know, somebody else said that. Now here. Now you're kind of coming at us. I mean, maybe I'm too sensitive to be a restaurant owner. Maybe maybe it's probably not even the right word for it. There is a good deal of scrutiny.
Speaker 6: There's probably some turnover that that, like employee turnover that could come with it too, because it's like, oh, oh my gosh, I just got a Michigan Star at the restaurant that I work with, Michigan Star, Michigan Star.
Speaker 4: It's a very different system.
Speaker 6: That's our system coming forward, that we should do that for every time we're on the road.
Speaker 2: Michelan mis Star.
Speaker 8: It's like a Michigan Hello, one and a half.
Speaker 2: You get two of them.
Speaker 6: But right like you could have some employees be like, oh, holy ship, this is a great thing for the resume.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe hop around a little bit more, just you know, yeah, that's that's you know, kind of punch punch that card a little bit. You know, Oh I worked at a Michelin Star restaurant. Sure definitely could happen. I think that, you know, in our case, this Green Star, and when I knew that we were in the contender for that, from the questions that they started to ask me like we're getting these emails and I was like, talk about your sourcing pro practices Michelin. Yeah, then I was very very happy because I think that if there were if I had to pick one of those two things. I would absolutely take the Green Star because that is the goal that we've worked to since day one. It was just like having really equitable, fair good food purchase from our neighbors, like high quality local stuff and just really sticking to those guns, you know, wine, beer, everything. Uh So the Michelin the Green Star was really the one that I thought was like, yeah, that's actually that is that is a recognition that we will definitely take.
Speaker 2: What happens when someone I don't want to harp on the negative, but why do you hear stories of people are the stories of people turning them in?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm Marco Pierre White, very famous.
Speaker 2: Chef, not the Green Star.
Speaker 3: Not the Green Star. Yeah, sometimes they'll get you know mad. This is probably the old days, you know, back in France.
Speaker 2: So he was like a white tablecloth guy.
Speaker 3: Certainly he famously made Gordon Ramsey cry, whoa Yeah he was, but what about not being a good cook? Marco Pierre White is like the well.
Speaker 8: That's sort of I mean, what goes around comes around, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Gordon Ramsey was very young at the time. Yeah, this kind of speaks to this whole thing, and like these guys are the ones that are working one hundred and twenty hours a week, just like excellence. Just the screaming, the throwing of the bands, just the kind of nightmarish old kitchen situation that we think of it. And then you know, if they go from like three stars to two stars, then maybe they just take those two stars and throw them back at Michelin something. I'm making that story up, but you know it would be it would be a spiked kind of deal. And stars were I mean, in some circles probably still are highly highly sought after, and it's like, I mean a live Goals. You know, they want one star, two stars, three stars, you know, and but I you know, we're not really playing that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: How I became aware of it is my wife and I were eating dinner with Jesse in die Douay and I said, well, how's business been, and he said it's been great because of the green Michelin star.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely. We saw a huge influx of people from that, so people cared about it. Yeah. Yeah, well Austin our Texas, you have to submit to Michelin to be inspected, and you have to give them a whole bunch of money, like millions and millions of dollars to come in and do the inspections. And once they do that, they come in and they inspected Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and then from there they're gonna start making for the first time ever because no, no, but no restaurant in Texas ever had a star. And they came in and the guide came to Texas and so you'll have I think it's you know, some sort of Texas uh hospitality or.
Speaker 6: Yeah, state tourism exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like kind of yes, please come do this thing. And so and then it brought in, Uh, they brought in the inspectors, and then a bunch of restaurants in Texas for granted stars, a couple two I think, just two green stars in Texas and uh, and then a bunch of stars for restaurants in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas and UH. And it really boosted all of that. I mean, it was huge in the restaurant business. It was talking to town for a little while.
Speaker 2: You know what you said to us when we were eating dinner that I still don't fully understand. You mentioned feeling weird or camera how you put it, feel self conscious or.
Speaker 4: Weird or whatever eating in your own restaurant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 7: I like it.
Speaker 3: I like that place a lot, and I mean it's more I like the prices right too. But yeah, sometimes you know, just sitting there and feel like I should be working.
Speaker 2: But oh so that okay, that's what that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't work.
Speaker 4: Now, you look like you're slacking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hung up my night night shift spurs a while back.
Speaker 6: But you know, like when we when we went down there and interviewed Teddy Nuggets, we all went and ate with Jesse at uh died Doy and I do remember Jesse was an awesome host, but he was like looking around at everything. Mmm, as much as hanging out with us at the table. It's a hard, hard thing to do. Yeah, it is, would you because you said, like your employee program ms are part of your your green Star and your Jesse came up with employee challenges as part of their employee programs because you know, like it's a high stress environment. Yeah, and you were telling me about one last night that was I thought fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah I can guess which one. Yeah, yeah, yeah, well, every well, I try to do it every month. Sometimes I can slack a little bit, but I we try to give all of the back of the house employees, everybody in the kitchen, we give them something that could be a gift card, it could be an oyster knife, it could be it's something, it could be a stake, and from that they need to deliver back almost like an essay about that, and we will It'll be very clearly defined. Like the first one we ever did. We made everybody go to a specific taco trailer in order the tacos there, and then I wanted them to report back on how the onions and the cilantro were cut, because it's very very important because they're cut with Michelin Star precision, like beautiful, super consistent and just like in your havel.
Speaker 2: Is there any cilantro in the kitchen?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I don't know. I don't know how to cut the ship up.
Speaker 3: The stuff is finally chopped with the knight.
Speaker 10: But that was the stems and report back.
Speaker 4: Back up, back up, back up.
Speaker 2: Stems are no stems.
Speaker 3: Stems all the way was cilantro. Absolutely stems. Okay, go yeah, stems are good.
Speaker 4: You can't you can't just start at one end and go to the other end.
Speaker 2: Kind of hand.
Speaker 3: We're really digressing, But I've been here before. The stems on cilantro can be used as an aromatic, like onion or garlic. You can you can cook those like like put those in the beginning, like with your carrots and stuff in the lad a little bit of cilantro, but a nice, beautiful cooked No. But also like when you're chopping cilantro, stems are fine.
Speaker 4: So you wanted a report on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was just that's an example. And then another would be the you know, we're we're facing a big shift in how oysters are gathered on the coast, and so you have farmed oysters, you have dredged oysters, and we're trying to support the farmed merriculture of oysters.
Speaker 4: I get a yearful about this from the oyster dredgers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, buckle up. So uh but but we had one of the oyster farmers come in bring a bunch of oysters. We popped a bunch of sparkling wine for the staff, and everybody sat there and ate oysters, and she gave a presentation on oysters. So we learned a little bit about oysters. So every time I'm just trying to pick a topic, we we really want them to connect with me. We're a very meat heavy restaurant. We really want them to connect with what that means. And so we had we took all the back of the house staff out to a farm and everybody killed a chicken and we you know, funneled all the blood from the chicken into bread crumbs and herbs and we pan fried that. Everybody ate it. We stewed a bunch of chicken, and then everybody took their chicken home. And so then they had to kind of of, you know, report back, and I'll give them a list of questions, you know, like how was that? You know, some people were bawling, some people were just like, you know, no problem, And then they have to kind of report back on that.
Speaker 2: You can get yourself in a mild, little bit of hot water with that routine.
Speaker 6: Oh I love it though, I mean it's yeah.
Speaker 2: So picture down the road. There's a headline and it says Texas restaurant man makes employees kill chicks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, following it was the first sign of like being a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and people see that Texas, and that's all they needed to hear.
Speaker 7: Why only back of the house.
Speaker 8: The people that just read headlines have a problem with ye, I'd.
Speaker 2: Be like, yeah, that's as far as I'd get.
Speaker 3: That's a good question, mostly because I feel that they they don't earn as much and they are also there. And I always have this two way street principle with with I mean everybody that works there, but like, you know, you work really hard for us. We educate you and give you as much knowledge as we possibly can, Like there's no secrets, you know, any recipe, any technique, anything that anybody at that restaurant knows should be always shared. And so we try to add value to the back of the house experience through that through this program specifically. And so we have about fourteen people in the back of the house. They all participate and they always do. It's great. There's there's it's really fun.
Speaker 7: So is that not changing at all? Because you know, I did a few years in the restaurant industry long tongue.
Speaker 4: That's what I call long tongue Yanni and tuscaninis.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's crazy. When that light bulb goes off and you're like, wait a minute, how much did you make tonight and then you look at your paycheck and you're it could be half or a third of your you know, like a two week paycheck, and they cleared it in one night in cash tips. It's like very hard to stay in the back of the house, and I've always thought that, you know, someone would be working on and I think in some places they do even pool tips with the back of that we do, right, you could, but even then it's still it's doesn't bring disparity.
Speaker 3: There's a clear disparity. But that is again why we introduced that. Our back of the house managers every month they get a cookbook. So if you've worked there for three years, you've got forty cookbooks. Anyone you want pick out a cookbook, you get it. And then we do this. You know, there's pretty good health benefits, mental health benefits, things like that, just trying to add value to the back of the house experience because it's a hard job and it doesn't pay as well as in front of the house, and so just being able to add stuff like this is you know, a effective benefit that we can extend to them.
Speaker 6: So I'm sorry the chicken deal we didn't get to get to this last night, but like you had people go home roast their chicken and then report back on that.
Speaker 3: That was the next month. So yeah, so after they killed the chicken, you know, they reported on how that the whole thing went down with them, you know, and then reflecting on that, you know, because we deal with lots and lots of dead animals coming through the restaurant, you know, and you got to see, well fourteen of them die, you got to do one yourself. You know. Hopefully that sticks, you know, it helps with wasists and things like that. You're not going to be like, yeah, whatever this quail I dropped or dropped it. Of course it's going to trash, but but you know, like just have that well it wouldn't go on. Just respect that that that we're really trying to instill on them. And then the next month, yes, they roast the chicken. And then since there's you know, a million different ways, always said, just roasted however you want, and report back on how you roast it. So we get into kind of technique and everybody is to compare notes on that and just make it kind of a fun interactive thing where everybody's just exchanging information and it's all done through a chat, so it's like you're submitting a written essay.
Speaker 4: Well, I got it.
Speaker 2: You know what, This won't matter to anyone but me. But you're combining to You're probably talking about chickens, killing chickens and collecting the blood and all that. That's colliding with a different thing that's in my head right now, which is I'm reading a new book about.
Speaker 6: I think we can all agree that's never happened to me.
Speaker 7: A bit.
Speaker 2: I'm reading a book about the Battle of Manila. The Oxford University Press just put out a book about the Battle of Manila in the Philippines.
Speaker 3: World War two. Okay, MacArthur, Yeah, okay, I don't.
Speaker 4: Want to give the end away.
Speaker 3: Did he return?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he returned.
Speaker 2: But my god, man, like the Japanese knew they couldn't win, and I'm getting the chickens in a minute. The Japanese knew they couldn't win. They called one hundred thousand civilians in Manila just as like a departing gift. Anyhow, years ago I was in the Philippines and went to cock fights, which is probably of the days I've spent in my life, one of the most influential days I've ever had in my life was being at the cock fights.
Speaker 4: You know, they lash.
Speaker 2: The blades on those chickens. It's hard to follow the action because the chickens fight fast. It is great, But the thing that struck me is they got a big kettle of boiling water and they got a big funnel all these cocks. I'm sure this has not happened in a lot of more affluent places. This is down way in the south of the Philippines, just north of Mindon now. But they when the cock fights go on, as soon as your cock gets killed, you go and it's like a little assembly line. They drained the blood into the funnel. It's collected in the bucket. They got the boiling water. You plunge your deal, pluck your rooster, and everybody that's leaving is leaving with plucked with roosters. And I imagine a lot of those don't A lot of those fighting cocks don't wind up in a cook bit pot. Why not because people just aren't gonna people don't want roosters.
Speaker 4: Probably, I don't know.
Speaker 3: The bowls after bull fights.
Speaker 7: If they're gonna go through that, And that's as if that if it's that much of a process. They're not being forced to pluck their birds, are.
Speaker 3: They They have to be eating them? No, no, no, I know, but you're saying they're not getting eating.
Speaker 2: I bet you I'm not. Like I wanted to get into. I wanted to get into going to more cock fights. I used to use I used to hang out with this Dominican dude and and he would go back to Dominican Republic just to go to cock fights. And I was going to go, but my wife was pregnant. She thought it was inexcusable that I was going to cock fights. Well anyway, I didn't go. I've only been to one cock fight. But what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Is trend cock fights and roller pigeon derbys there.
Speaker 2: You can't do them here. But Bricard, you know the writer Bricard Builders. Do you ever hear him? He's the guy, you know how like Noodland for flatheads became a huge thing, but Card Bilger like made that. He had a book Newlin for flatheads. It was about like Southern tradition. He wrote a piece, a big piece about cockfighting the back, like illicit underground cockfighting and the US.
Speaker 9: Anyhow have you read Clifford Gearts's the Balinese Cockfight. No, it's a classic anthropological study where he goes to he.
Speaker 4: Goes to Bali and he he it's.
Speaker 9: Just this deep analysis of how you can explain all of these like all of Balanese society by the way that the cockfight unfolds and how people Behaveoru there.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll read that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I didn't know you were such an aficionado.
Speaker 7: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I went to I went to I spent a day at the cock fights. It was one of the most influential days of my life. And I'm just I just thought, I guessed, I don't know, maybe a big cockfighter can write it and tell me. I bet you you could go to a lot of cockfights and not see the cocks handled as a culinary item with quite the level of precision that one sees in the Philippines.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to get to they're even collecting the blood, which Jesse was just talking about.
Speaker 6: Jesse, you will get in trouble if you do a monthly challenge and it's cockfighting. I think, Yeah, since your restaurant mask the.
Speaker 2: Killing of a chicken.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's funny that you bring up cock fights because we were just hanging. When we hung with heffle Finger in Arizona, we talked about cockfighting and he was like the hypocrisy you know, of saying that you can't do that here, but then to go and buy a chicken breast and to know how that chicken and the environment that it lived in and what it was subjected to versus the life that a cock fighting cock lives. Like if you're if you had pet chickens, you would always choose to have your chicken live the life of a fighting cock versus one that's grown in you know, American uh poultry breeding farm.
Speaker 2: I just had my I just had my first little bit of like teenage idealism spring up in one of my kids who's fourteen.
Speaker 3: Short life.
Speaker 2: He got no he got to watch and he got to watch and animal rights videos that are real that hack on industrial farming. And he declared he's only going to eat wild meat, no more fast food. And he was showing me a video where it's like a conveyor belt at a chicken producing facility. It's a conveyor belt full of eggs and chicks that goes into a grinder and it's just unwanted. It just like never ends, just a conveyor belt, little yellow chicks and eggs and just whatever into this grinder.
Speaker 3: Ten million chicken to day.
Speaker 2: And he's like, man, and this is just like the unwanted, right little chicken babies. And he said, he's like vowed up and down. He's never gonna ever eat anything but wild meat. And I'm like, welcome to Welcome to being a teenager. You'll find these things get harder and harder to stay true too, the older you get.
Speaker 3: That's that was the whole point of that exercise, is like this happens ten million times every day. You just did it once and it was kind of oh wow, yeah, yeah, definitely worth a second look.
Speaker 2: Walk through, just so people can get the sense of how you guys run stuff at your restaurant. Pick a thing like how you guys do your own beef tallow or how you guys do what were you talking about the r day? What you guys do and you get a bunch of blueberries just something like that.
Speaker 6: Oh and your fermentation, Like you guys have months long, months long prep processes.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, because I was I was with you one time and you were all hopped up. We were down at uh we're down in South Texas, and you were all worked up about buying every piece of citrus you could find in every pecan you could find, filling a vanful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just put that that place that you and I went to closed, and so we have to go even farther south now, and so we just it wasn't that much farther we drove. We drove further down that highway and finally found a citrus sand and I rolled in there and we bought I think twelve cases of lemons. That's the first time we'd had lemons in months h and brought them back and everybody's joyous.
Speaker 2: So pick anything like what I'm trying to what I wanted to do is explain an example of because in die Do Way everything is from around here, so you're there's a season, there's seasonality. It's not as severe as the north, but there's still seasonality in Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So pick an example of something where what you what you needed to do, because you can't just buy lemons whenever you want.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I mean lemons are always a really good exact ample. I think you know it's because like something as simple as ice tea also tea, you know, So we use the opon holly, which is the only plant that naturally contains caffeine in North America, and it grows as a like a invasive understory in East Texas. And so we get youpon holly leaves and make tea out of that. How do you get there's there's actually a couple of producers that make it. They are out there harvesting and then they do the whole drying process and then supply tea, which is really cool that they're making that product out of out of this this I mean, it's everywhere else.
Speaker 2: So your tea is from Texas. Yeah, you know, I could see a campaign like we put the tea back in Texas.
Speaker 3: It's pretty pretty solid. And so but most of the year, if you get iced tea and you say, hey, can I have a limon with that, We're like sorry, you know, and we have to give that. We don't say sorry. We we spent it in this like more educational direction of like, oh well, we we only source things from here. So sometimes in October, you know, barring a hard freeze the previous February, we will see some lemons and uh, you know, for a brief window of time if you wanted a limon with your ic T, we had it. But we go through like we just recently had our our pork producer, our domestic pork producer went through a he he just ran out of product, you know, and he's like, listen, I need six to eight weeks to get caught back up, and and we're not going to have any pork for a pork chop or bacon all this stuff. And so we uh, it was it was fun. We totally pivoted to Faral hogs and so we were just you know, having conversations with the processor that that handles all the hogs, you know, like what we're what we're looking for. Luckily it's at it's at peak time of year for Farrell hogs, like kind of they're when they're ripe.
Speaker 6: I can see it like cradle in the phone between your neck and your ear as you're you're loading your fifty round mag on your ar.
Speaker 3: And so we had we had to pivot to that, which was you know, very I mean on brand for us at least and people because the pork chop is a very popular item. But they would come in and be like, oh my god, that well, we don't have it right now, but we do have these much smaller wild board chops prepared in exactly the same way and did a bunch of just different things. But we were having to process, you know, for every domestic hog, we're having to process three seventy pound farrel hog carcasses. But luckily they're all of you know that they're at their fattest right now because we had a really really killer acorn pecan drop.
Speaker 2: How long does that run for when you're fat?
Speaker 3: It depends on weather, So I mean you get like your tree mass drop in October November. But we had the most atypical year and we have we still have pecans dropping right now in it's late February March, so we've had a really incredible year relatively dry, so all that stuff sits on the ground really well, and so the faral hogs have maintained a really high level of fat in the regions that have those trees prominence to like hill country and just to our southeast, and that's where we try to get our hogs from, and so they just look really good. So it's very very optimal timing for that lag to happen where we could just shift into the feral hogs because they were so fatty. But I mean that's kind of the level of thinking that we have to put in an organization. We have to call the processor and be like, listen, man, we're gonna need we're gonna need you to call out, you know, four or five six whole faral hogs weekly of optimal fat content and get them to us in this interim and made it work.
Speaker 2: There was a restaurant, do you remember that restaurant out on those out in the San Juans San Juan Islands on the Willows. They want to be in a real controversial deal because they were acting like, you know, when I said the name of the restaurant, Phil.
Speaker 6: Wait restaurant, it's kind of what that that the menu is based off of, kind.
Speaker 2: Of I don't want to get in over my waiters here, but I want to like someone in fact checked was it?
Speaker 6: No, it was? It wasn't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to like, yeah, Willows And there was like an expose a I don't want to like what's the call when you say something.
Speaker 7: Back to me?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't want to planters I don't want slander.
Speaker 2: Anyways, they had a thing where it was like everything's from around here, but then there was in their minds I should have brought it up.
Speaker 3: I mean, to be fair, there are some things you know, like there's some flour and sugar.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, no, I mean I was on.
Speaker 6: A lummy island Willows, and.
Speaker 2: I wasn't gonna do that. But I mean it was like a more like what the point I was gonna make is that you because you couldn't get the pork chops you wanted from the guy you wanted from, you pulled them from your menu as opposed to running down to Costco.
Speaker 3: Right, And a lot of places, unfortunately that say local or we use local and organic products whenever possible there aren't doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's widespread, widespread, And do.
Speaker 6: Want to point out that it permanently closed in twenty twenty two, so you know you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a it was a little uh deceptive. I went there and I could I smell the fish, not just the fish was on my plate. I smelled the fish. I was like, no, man doesn't seem right. Doesn't seem right?
Speaker 4: It doesn't.
Speaker 9: It doesn't add up when you say local whenever possible, you leave yourself a lot of.
Speaker 4: Uh, it wasn't possible, it's yeah, or.
Speaker 8: It depends on how hard you want to try it to get local.
Speaker 2: They would do this thing where they're like they serve some c cucumbers and she gestures out the window being like they're right. She gestures out the window as though they were caught, they were picked right there, or it's all that like our friends at this, our friends at that, our friends at this, And then you look the stuff up and you're like, sure, you're friends, you know, kind of like and then like everything's from the garden, but the guard's not that big.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's in.
Speaker 2: It's in. It's in a temperate rainforest, right, and there's like limits to how much you can grow at that latitude certainly, and you just after a while I was like, come on, man, like running with it hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, but just like what you said about the I mean, think of the ability, the logistical ability that you need to have to forecast and work around your primary hog protein supplier saying like six to eight weeks we're out. I mean I think that's plenty for people to be like, oh, this Green Michelin start things pretty cool, but boy Cisco truck every Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Sure, right, I mean it's all it's enabled by the fact that we have such a good relationship with with that producer, you know, and we've we've known him for seventeen years and so when he called, he gave us for plenty of head start, and it enables us to do it. But I think people expect that of us, you know, and we expect that of ourselves too. We're not gonna We're not going to ever purposely not serve something that we don't know about. We've been misled before, we've been cheated.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: We've had farmers show up and swear up and down that they grew this thing, and then we find a little grown in Mexico sticker on one of them. Really, what's happened? It's happened, and it's like what do we do at that point? You know, it's like a very confusing, it's a it's and you will have people just and we had one guy in particular, like he misled us for years about product, and it was it was devastating because I was like, man, that's our reputation right there, Like we stake everything on this, and I think he just he got into a lie and then never got out of it. And then when we found out, we were just like kicked him to the curb, but like, don't ever come back here.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It was rough.
Speaker 6: Well, so what about something like quail?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: So, I mean you deal in like the exotics, which would be a Neil guy and the hot ad that that we mentioned, and then feral hogs. We've covered a bunch, like there's a legal way to get those two a resale market, but yeah, what about quail? How does how does that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You have that you have like game birds or game animals, and then you have wild game I think, and there's I think there's two distinct categories. And we're also very upfront about that. You know, duck. You know there's some restaurant in New York City that's just like, you know, advertising that they're selling wild duck. I'm like, you want to probably tap the brake saw that first off, you're not, you know, it's just but you also don't even know enough about the topic to know that that's been illegal for more than a century. And but you know, it just sounds good to them and but we we serve farm raised duck, you know, we serve farm raise quail. And but then beyond that, if we're presented with an opportunity to source like true wild game, we absolutely will. And we're in Texas where it's it's pretty easy. It's facilitated by h t DA, the Department of Agriculture, and we we can we can get nil ghui. And this is why we we tend towards noil guy especially. It's because they don't like corn and they're they're field harvested in the wild by broken arrow ranch by shooters and helicopters. We tend towards nol guy because of that, because it is such a pure ingredient. It's an invasive We'll get some access here and there, and then feral hog has to be trapped live and then brought to the processor and killed with an anti mortem inspection and then post mortem inspection, and then we can get them like that. We can't go out and shoot them. And if you have them in your back of your truck, we can't take those either.
Speaker 2: People show a.
Speaker 3: Couple of times, but a lot of a lot. Hey, we got all that you could ever use, and like it's not how it works really, there's very strict UH protocols behind that. And then lately we've been sourcing a lot of odd ad and odd ads on the menu. Those are maybe coming from high fence places, maybe coming from low fence places, or catching them in big pen traps. But we're putting add ad on there as part of a like a wider campaign to just to educate people on the pure edibility of odd ad.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, can you go on to that more because I'm doing the odd ad hunt in Texas with my boyfriend and Corey actually in April.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean to me, odd ad are kind of these They're they're like hogs in a lot of ways and that, but they just inhabit I mean in an impact and then they inhabit different regions, you know, the far Hill country all the way out to West Texas where there's a lot of them and they're widely not eaten, and so by we have them on our menu.
Speaker 7: You know when you say widely, let's just like set the stage here.
Speaker 2: I found it to be a rough I ate one down to the bone. I found it to be a pretty rough meat.
Speaker 5: Did you did you? How is that prepared.
Speaker 2: We made I made?
Speaker 5: You made me?
Speaker 6: You made a tough or rough is like it wasn't palatable?
Speaker 3: May I preface? No? No? Did you cook it in a dry heat method?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Did you grill it? Or our our smoke it?
Speaker 4: I made jerky with it.
Speaker 2: We made barbe cool with it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: We cooked its lungs, not as lungs. We cooked its kidney's heart, liver, and then I did various like roasts and whatnot. Okay, I never it just wasn't you know, it wasn't it to me? Wasn't I wasn't like, oh my god, I can't wait to get another audit?
Speaker 3: Was it a flavor or a texture?
Speaker 4: Flavor? Strongly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just it just wasn't my favorite. But everything can't be your favorite.
Speaker 3: No, I love it, But also I I have to be really clear, and I've never had an ad Dad from West Texas. We've only eaten Hill country aud.
Speaker 2: Ad mine was from very West. Yeah, like maybe, yeah, just like it was bad. It's just I kind of got a lot of times you eat something like take haveveleena, for instance, if you just took like if you're cooking to have a leena, you're gonna be doing steps and processes, right. You can't just you don't. No one just takes like a have a Lena steak and throws in a pan.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like a thing that requires you to bring a certain level of expertise to it. I found Awdad to be the kind of thing where you need to bring a level of expertise to get something that you would be comfortable just serving to friends.
Speaker 4: That come over for dinner. Sure it wasn't like fail safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that a lot of people go wrong and they might treat addad like venison, and then that same person might treat venison like beef, and so you're you're kind of failing and that it's it's a particularly it's I mean, it's a metaphorically tough meat. I mean it's tough animal. You know they chewy, yes, yeah, and uh, I mean when you're cutting an add ad like you can get tired. I found, you know, it's like the meat is just like it's got a density to it. Like you know, after I break down an aud aud, I feel like I've had more like forty percent more resistance than I would if I'd just killed a dough like whitetail and the way that you approach cooking it. I mean it's very simple. I think grind and stew, but you know, you have to incorporate, Like we're into it. It has to be cooked for a very long time. But I really like it. We grind it, we make meatballs, like good friend mentioned, make meatballs out of it, and we can aggregate all animals that way too. We could get a you, we could get a ram, doesn't really matter. All goes into the pile together. But more than anything, we're just trying to, you know, illuminate the sheer fact that you can't he sure, yeah, and promote it. I probably the only restaurant in the hemisphere that's got all out on the menu. I don't know anybody else that even has access to them. And then when people say where do you get them?
Speaker 5: I'm like, any part of that that you'd like, cut small and stir fry.
Speaker 3: The tender loins, and the loins tend to even be a little on the dense side if you and backstraps have not a not a horizontal grain to them, they have a slightly offset grain and with an odd dad you have to be particularly careful with that and that you have to nail that, that ninety degree on that on that slight offset, I'd say, and it's it's sitting at like thirty you know, degrees off. It's not just straight down. And if you if you don't nail that, then you still got this slight angle, this diagonal grain running through your slices. And if you get it super thin, it can be really good. I we uh cook then odd Ad next to a white tail. One night, just did steak freets. You know, it's like a Bordelai sauce. And everybody liked the audid just as much as the white tail, but I had to slice it super thin. I I love them. I you know, we're in a way so lucky that we can. You know, like me and my daughter hunt a lot, and we could. We could kill access hogs and odd Ad only and these are all these high impact invasives and it feels pretty good to do something like that, and especially odd Ad, it's like it's almost a goal. Now I'm going to be an apologist for those as well. Try to get more people on board with at least are equipping people with better methodology to make it more palatable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you turn. You turned the world down to hogs, and now you're gonna do uh, you're gonna help people figure out how to do oddds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm probably gonna call you and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.
Speaker 3: Where are you hunting.
Speaker 5: Way South bordering Chihuahua.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, so that's yeah, West Texas.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah, yeah, you know I always put in I always draw for the ie hundred mount in West Texas, but I always draw, always put in in New Mexico, but I haven't drawn in New Mexico.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, you'll be out in the Davis Mountains probably coud.
Speaker 2: You do like public like in New Mexico, you can do like public land odd d hunts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The grain, the differentiation in the grain in the in the backstraps as you're talking about, is that something that's like characteristic to sheep in general, not deer too, deer.
Speaker 3: Too, Yeah, like if you have a larger deer loin and I'm the ones the deer backstraps that I deal with are way smaller than what you guys have with elk or deer or even larger white tails. And so if you like just take a really close look at it, and you'll see that it's just slightly offset. And then when you're slicing it out, you're gonna if you come in and you kind to hit it at a very slight angle, you're going to be getting that true ninety degree on it. And that's where you get the most tenderness out of that slice.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, No, I thought you were Yeah, okay, how do these audi ads come to YEA, what form?
Speaker 3: Uh? They're they're trapped in the same types of traps that the faral hogs come in are trapped in. So you've got your like your cell phone style dropgate traps, and so they'll just wait for them and drop the trap on them. And and we've been so consistent that we've been able to get them because then our processor is talking to trappers and then once that incentive like stream is reached, they know, oh we need more odd ad and so they start bringing us more.
Speaker 2: But what I mean is how do they show up at your place?
Speaker 3: In what form? Either trim or whole carcass depending what our needs?
Speaker 2: Are caught off behind the ears?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah, the skin and gutted whole carcass.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have a big old pile of them horns laying around now, no, no, no, got it.
Speaker 5: I got a question. So you were saying, like the odd ad like it needs like moisture water. So I defrosted some rib meat that I had sliced out from white from white tail, and I seared on a cast I was just in a rush. I wasn't trying to prep a meal. I just want to eat some meat. So I just like put some dry rub seasoning oil through in a cast iron pan just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: I'm already reaching for.
Speaker 2: For three years.
Speaker 5: As in aside, I'm I don't always like soft textured meat. I don't always want like a really soft backstrap, like I'm used to eating tendon, which sometimes can be like melt in your mouth, right, but sometimes it's true ear So I'm like, I think the breath of meat textures and I'm comfortable with and happy to now on like that's I mean an Asian cuisine, right, It's just not exactly the same. But but I felt like the meat was it was juicier and yeah, like there was a little bit of chew, but it was juicier. Then I use some of the same rib me and I like, whatever did Chinese five spice dikon blah blah blah through them the pressure cooker for twelve minutes. Now that meat was so dry, but like kind of pull apart, and I really didn't like that. What happens it's collagen.
Speaker 3: So belly is very specific to this, where you're going to have these striations of lean meat, very dense lean meat, a very thick and solid layer of collagen or silver skin, and then let me typically layers of fat. And you might repeat that a couple of times. And so collagen isn't going to melt into gelatin until it hits about one ninety over a period of time. Now pressure cooker can achieve that, but if you just cook it really quick, then you're not going to hit that. I mean you might hit one ninety, but you're not going to hit it for two or three hours that it's going to start to break down. I was, you know, like pork, and people sometimes are surprised, like pork is cooked through at one temperature, but it shreds at a different way. It's cooked through at you know, one sixty one sixty five. But when pork shoulder starts to fall apart. That's one ninety five two hundred and so that's that collagen breaking down and then fat and things like that.
Speaker 5: So that is, but the meat itself feels drier like I wanted it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's possible too. I don't have a ton of experience with pressure cookers, so I don't know really what happened there. If that had if you had braised that maybe with some sort of liquid like it was in a maybe a more moderate temperature, you might have had a more silken experience for me braizing meats like stew meat or if you want to make a sugo or a ragu or Bologni's chili borgignon. No better meat than rib meat.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you're but you're doing that low and.
Speaker 3: Slow on four five six hours.
Speaker 5: No pressure cooker stuff.
Speaker 2: You know what dish years I've been making a fair bit when I'm having company over.
Speaker 4: Is that one.
Speaker 3: That? Uh?
Speaker 2: That that German style relied?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a like one of the most popular because we did it on the show down there at the Teria and I rolled that whole whole bell. Yeah. People love that. It's it and it's accessible and it's a new use for that cut that they just didn't really consider before. And it's so easy to peel that whole thing off.
Speaker 2: You gotta be get, I mean, you gotta be decent with a knife. So what Jesse does, like, if you're sitting there at home, picture like picture, you gotta skinned out do your carcass land there. A lot of guys are gonna remove the rib meat. You're just gonna kind of go between the ribs and get all these strips that look like a jerky strip. Not suitable for jerky, but it's gonna look like a jerky strip.
Speaker 4: Picture that you.
Speaker 2: Came in and removed all the meat and one big sheet so that you got every rib you come to. You gotta skin around, not skin around every rib you come to. You gotta flay around the rib up and over, up and over, and you wind up with like you basically remove that deer's side as a sheet. And then Jesse lays mustard, yep, good s good seed mustard all over it. Yeah, pickle, hollowpenios, onion, onion.
Speaker 4: What else you're putting there?
Speaker 3: Is it mustard, bacon, onion, and then some sort of pickle. Traditional German would be just like a girkin or like a corner shone style pickle until pickles even, and then you roll that up.
Speaker 2: Roll that up, tie it, and then braise it.
Speaker 4: Them suckers are good, man, good good.
Speaker 2: And I've been cooking the hell out of those when I get you know, when I get a piece, Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. I always take that off the deer. You also don't have to go in and get that meat between the ribs. A lot of times I'll just take that whole sheet off and then later I'll come in and peel that are cut that meat out the intercostal or the fingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it depends on what time of year it is, because like if if there's your time of.
Speaker 6: Year where you can see through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if you kill a buck that's been if you kill a buck that's been gone through the rut, I mean you got to get in there to wind up with a whole sheet because they lose so much weight.
Speaker 6: If you take take the height off, it basically turns into jerky in twelve hours on its own.
Speaker 7: On the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you leave a hang in the wind and all of a sudden, it's like it's like a glass you can kind of see through. But yeah, that that is a good dish. Uh, there's one I texted you about there because I like your Uh this is more of.
Speaker 7: A co can I do? I want to have a follow up question because I think oftentimes I look at that slab of meat and I'm like, man, it's all covered up and foamy, purple bloodshot. You know, how do you deal with that?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you've lost part of it, then I don't. I don't mess with bloodshot stuff. I cut it out.
Speaker 7: Well, but it's not it's not like it's actually where the impact was or even where like the little you know, but it's just like the the blood and the purple stuff is spread. Like at some point do you do some cleaning.
Speaker 3: I trim what I can, But if you've lost one of your sides or flanks, what everyone caught, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do it. I do that cut when I see a piece that is suitable I've made. I did it with I took pulled a big sheet off of a moose. There's too much, Yeah, it's gonna be Yeah, it's too much. It's like a Yeah, there's a lot of there's a lot going on between the layers of all the good stuff in the middle. It just winds up being like, yeah, I could see that it's too much of a good thing.
Speaker 3: What was the other dish you're talking.
Speaker 2: About, Well, I texted you so when you me and Katie ate dinner. One of my favorite thing you guys make is that that brind pork chop man things good, dude. So I had some. I had some wild hog. I had a wild hog backstrap that had a nice fat layer on them, and I asked you about your brine. It was a very simple. Brian, I feel like you put some things in there that are dumb.
Speaker 3: The star Annis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I don't think it matters.
Speaker 3: I think it absolutely matters.
Speaker 4: You're the chef. You're the chef.
Speaker 3: So I made I made smethered pork chops the other night, and it's the key to that is that you, Brian does And if you have like a leaner parallel hog, this is great. You cut those pork chops, but you Brian them with that star anis dust them and flour a ton of onions and then some stock and then cook that down and just makes this nice oniony gravy. But then when you go in and you.
Speaker 2: Keep back up, I got I got too confused.
Speaker 3: Just little thin slices of backstrap or pork chops, but I wanted.
Speaker 2: I haven't told you what I did with it, so you can't correct me.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just I'm a little worked up about the star anis right now. I want to give it. Explain that you from the Brian.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what I did, Okay, because like, if I wanted to taste like that, I'd put that on the meat rather than trusting that my Brian is going to like. You know, you gotta admit, dude, you have to admit sometimes people are putting things in Brian because it looks cool in your fridge.
Speaker 3: Okay, you don't agree that that star is absolutely if you like the pork chop, it I do it. The star is a key component to that.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me. You're telling me that if I PEPSI challenged you and I do one of your pork chops.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, let's do it.
Speaker 8: I'll run down to Rose hours right now.
Speaker 4: I would like to see it twenty four hours.
Speaker 7: I was thinking you and I can fly down and die and we could have to make five.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make five. You have your team made me five, and I'm gonna have one of them be with star on ease. I got it, and I'm gonna have you eat it, and you tell me what one had in the brine.
Speaker 3: In the bag? Got it? Yeah, got it? It was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Anyways, what I did what I want to hear your opinion, you know better me. But what I did is I soaked my it was you know, a wild hog backstrap. It's a giant thing. I just did the whole damn thing in the brine, Okay, then grilled and sliced it. Yea, some of the bitch that was good? Man, Tell me what I should have done.
Speaker 3: It's a key, you think.
Speaker 2: So you don't think it's just metal masturbation.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. I always I always compare like a like a a farreal hog. Especially it's got a bit of that overt, strong flavor to it. I won't use the g word as like a rough piece of plywood and the star annis is some fine grit sandpaper coming in and buffing that up, and it's just like it just helps it. And that's I mean the entire spice trade. Uh, were we talking about this last night in Venice?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know that you're in a safe place if you haven't actually thought about your menu and the ingredients.
Speaker 11: It's okay to just say that.
Speaker 2: I never knew it was staring at the never knew it was so stupid to make one of my number one favorite dishes the.
Speaker 4: Way I made had my award winning restaurant. I'm glad I talked to that young man.
Speaker 3: But the entire spice trade was there to kind of mask strong meats, and so the spices I think have a very clear role and it's not overt. And people that hate fennel or liquorice and stuff like that typically still like the pork job.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I was maybe a little wrong.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I've ripping through just for funsies. Here some Google reviews of Die Dewey No, and I think this would like fallen in Steve's review category. This person had a pistrami sandwich. Really good, but a little heavy to pick up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that pastrami is pretty serious, but I don't.
Speaker 6: Understand, like what your expectation of a pastrami sandwich would be.
Speaker 2: It's too much. I got too much sandwich.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that the dining experience was great. Knocked you a star for your parking situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I when I was born, the concrete out there, I was looking around thinking maybe a couple more of it. I was like, nah, I think this is enough.
Speaker 6: But I also just like, think of how many restaurants there are in the planet that has no parking correct? None?
Speaker 3: Yes, I would like to address that person right now and be like, we've rented that building, not our parking lot.
Speaker 2: That's the thing when you're when you're checking out a product on whatever website, and then you know, you wonder like it has some one stars and it wants up being something that's like the delivery guy left it, you know at my neighbor's place one star.
Speaker 9: We had a guy, we had a guy who commented, you know, he was very disappointed in you personally because of the parking situation at the University of Montana. He said, I would have thought you could have done a better organized event than to have parking like that.
Speaker 4: Oh, fair pressed about that.
Speaker 2: Turkey seasons coming.
Speaker 3: Up fifteen days from now, and I'll be uh looking at at Gobblers teen days from now and hopefully get a couple upside down on the fifteen.
Speaker 2: What are people dumb not to do this turkey season?
Speaker 3: I mean, we're gonna go We're going to go baseline on this. And I recently had a in experience where I spoke to a lot of turkey hunters in one confined area, and the number that still aren't taking the legs, it's pretty stunning. I just don't get it, Like, I mean, they're tough. It's like, well, you didn't cook them long enough legs. I think there's a lot of value on the wings. Montana. I just I had no idea you have to take the wings according to the ring. I feel like I just saw that.
Speaker 7: You know, I mean last year I read those rags. You're still I think I'm supposed to take.
Speaker 2: I mean I know that they undid it on a lot of other birds.
Speaker 3: Okay, so.
Speaker 6: I mean obviously this is not what a lot of people do, right, But like, if you it is not hard to pluck a turkey, I will argue with anybody like it just does not take that much time. But if you go all the way out to the wing tips, like those things are so full of there's like probably more fat and collagen in that little section than a lot of the bird itself. So like making a little stock out of those wings is absolutely worth your while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a routine with the wings. I am, and we covered this last time. I don't pluck my birds because what I use them for I don't need the skin on there, yep. I do mostly like fried turkey or cutlets off of off of the breasts and then you know, just slow cooking and shred in those legs. But I will every once in a while pluck one just to just to look at it and have that skin. But I don't know, just utilize more of it. I don't. I don't get the time deal. He sat under a tree for seven hours and take your thirty extra minutes. I don't have time for this.
Speaker 2: Can I give a I'm gonna give it. I'm not asking if I can. I'm gonna give a people leg away to think about turkey legs. So let's say you just skin the turkey leg out right, So you skin the breast back like your breast, and the bird you keep skinning to get to the thighs. I like to take and cut the foot off at the ankle. Take a flane knife and insert it and skin up. So you know you got like where the skin meets the feather on a leg. That part's hard to pull. So take a flay knife and flay make a skinning cut like you're skinning a deer's leg.
Speaker 4: Out.
Speaker 2: Make a skinning cut a few inches up the leg. Then you skin it.
Speaker 4: It goes quicker.
Speaker 2: It helps because it's hard to skin that part the other way around. I freeze those so I got the drumming in the thigh and I put them. If you match them up, if you're smart about your geometry, you can match them up in a bag and you actually wind up with a rectangle in a freezer bag.
Speaker 7: See. I'll even do them specific purposely part them out because because I feel like the drumsticks take so much longer than the thighs that I now cook him separately. I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I like that, okay, but also two turkey legs is quite a bit.
Speaker 2: I'm not but he had to let me finish.
Speaker 4: Sorry, hear me out.
Speaker 6: No, it's like that front of house, back of house.
Speaker 2: T I'm just walking through one. This is just one man's approach. This is one man's approach, right, So then come cooking time. I got one of those, any like, I have some of those when I got him, wh I got married.
Speaker 4: I've been married a long time.
Speaker 2: Those la crusee the giant oval la crusade thing, lay as many of those two three four or whatever drumstick thigh combos. You put a season's worth of the turkey's in there. If you got two turkeys, put him in there. I cover him with liquid. If I got stock, I do it with stock. But you don't even really need to do that. If you just short on time, then I put foil over it to help not lose my liquid from steam, and just put it. Put it in your oven at three hundred degrees and forget that you did it. If you got to go work to work for nine hours, forget, Just add more water and forget that you did it. Leave a sticky note that says, do not mess with oven so that your wife doesn't come in and turn the oven off because you're not home and haven't been home in hours, and like, all you're doing is you're getting it to the point where you can like tear it up and then you'll pick it and you'll have a giant bowl to pick meat. Now get a bunch of get a cast iron skill and put like a quarter inch of beef tallow in it or whatever beara and cram that shit on that pan until then the bottom is burning. Flip it until the bottom is like crispy.
Speaker 5: That's write a recipe, I was gonna say.
Speaker 12: And then you take all that and it's just like you just do whatever you want with that. Certainly, you put it on tacos, you put it on sandwiches. I freeze it again and mark it like camping. And then and then you go camping and no one feels like doing anything, so you open that bag up, dump it into a pant with barbacue sauce, and have more sandwiches.
Speaker 4: It's like, it's not that hard, let's write.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like, oh wow, now I have a giant pile of super good stuff to eat.
Speaker 3: It's so easy.
Speaker 4: I can like do anything with.
Speaker 7: There is a couple of things that you can even to make it better. One we talked about this. You can't make it. Yeah, well no, it is like instead of like after you shed it back into the liquid and let it sit for a day or two, just ok in that liquid and let that suck that moisture back in. It makes a huge difference.
Speaker 4: I think for any you.
Speaker 7: Can't make wild game.
Speaker 2: You can't make it certainly.
Speaker 7: And then I would say too, when you're gonna go with the big you know, bear grease cast iron skillet fry session, you can't overload a pan because you're gonna bring down your temp too much. So you gotta do it in batches so you get that nice crisp that you want.
Speaker 2: I disagree because if you.
Speaker 7: Put all those four legs all in there, Oh, you can't do four No, No, because I mean you don't have to have an impressive cast.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't mean that. Yeah, like you got more than you can.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we can't have like two inches.
Speaker 4: You got more.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a great clarification. You wind up. If you got a if you got like a like a ten inch skillet, I don't know what you got.
Speaker 9: Like you're making three quarters of an inch of meat meat pancakes, Yeah you got three quarters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. You can't pile them on there. You just have a big be all steamy, and you wouldn't get what you're after.
Speaker 7: This is car Now, how important.
Speaker 2: I was trying to make it sound Oh can you settle of a fight between.
Speaker 7: Me and you?
Speaker 4: Honest?
Speaker 7: How can I have a question? First? How important is it to you? Because you didn't mention this in your recipe here. I want to know if it's important to you that before they go into the liquid, that you would seer or broil those legs to sort of crispy outside, put salt and pepper on them, you know, do that.
Speaker 2: I was trying to do. I was trying to do the thing where I'm talking people into how easy it is, so I was leaving out all these little added things on.
Speaker 7: You can do. I feel like, well, the answer so doesn't make a difference.
Speaker 3: What he's describing is is I mean, there's other cultures do this, but most notably Mexico does it where they there's this very slow gentle cook followed by a crispying caramelization at the end. So the carneaita's effect if you were to do that in the beginning where you're getting achieving the my ard reaction on the outside of getting those sugars caramelized on the meat and then cooking it and then doing it again, probably not necessary as much because you're going to achieve that at the end, you're going to get that crispiness at the end. So I would just go I would, I would.
Speaker 7: That's good. It saves me time.
Speaker 6: I'm a I'm a bird plucker because I don't like bring I don't do a lot of like packaging in the field, so I have that skin as my barrier to dirt and everything else. And and then when I get home, I inevitably am pulling the skin off of everything. But then I'll I'll throw that in the stock pot or what I've done, And this is experimentation at home. Is salt that stuff, cut it into strips and just let it like sit there. It's not like very moist anyway, but then fry it exactly. Yeah, yeah, I mean it's kind of cheating, like there's not a lot to that turkey skin, you know. Yeah, and fried things taste great.
Speaker 2: You know what I made one time? I actually made this way more than one time. Three times? Is you ever skin the whole damn turkey out?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 4: Is way more than one.
Speaker 2: Well, hear me out. You'll see you'll appreciate.
Speaker 3: It, especially if you're a sailfish. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's the episode you ever skin a whole damp turkey out and then lay the hideout, and then you grind the turkey up, you grind the dark meat up, plaster it on that hide, and then you take the breast meat and cut long strips and lay those all out, and then you take like pistachio.
Speaker 3: Baalatine, yeah, Gallantine Valentine, Galantine, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then roll it up like a sausage and then braise that that's pretty good. Yeah, but why you just can you settle the fight between me and you? Honest, it's gonna be the final word.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Do you know about the fight?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: You do, of course I have no Sam Bates has been moderating the fight.
Speaker 7: Mmmm ah yeah then I do know.
Speaker 3: Please let's go.
Speaker 2: If you're rating food R A T I n G. Yeah, you're rating You're you're rating a dish.
Speaker 7: You could use the synonym judging.
Speaker 2: You're judging food. Do you feel that if if you're judging a dish and there's a bunch of criteria and then those criteria get like a one to five score, so they're additive, right, Like they all need to work in Like they all need to work in synchronicity, or they all need to What am I trying to say?
Speaker 4: It's a holistic it's a whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're making a holistic score with like five criteria, and all five criteria are scored one to five. Do you feel that's saying approachable and creative creates a conflict where if it's one, it's less likely to be the other, and if it's the other, it's less likely to be the one.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. So there's a scale that goes from approachable to creative.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, I mean the question is, really, can something be creative and approachable?
Speaker 2: It can, Yes, in some circumstances, I agree. I just feel like in some cases these things are offset approachability in creativity, meaning we were just talking about let's say you were the first guy to ever make a gallantine. You would get a very high creativity score, yes, but approachability someone would say, see, I'm not gonna skin a whole damn turkey out like that. I'm gonna give that a one that's not very approachable. That looks impossible. I just think so my argument is that there's a conflict in scoring a dish. There's a conflict between approachability and creativity. Yanni believes that they are perfectly aligned.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say perfectly aligned, but if you can create something, which is kind of a one of the key tenets of riding recipes is how do you achieve both of those things? You know, how do you? So much has already been written. So if you were to like make a really simple brine, you know, that's easy, that's approachable, But if you want to make it really good and really creative, you put stars in there.
Speaker 2: Can you answer the question I did, who wins the fight?
Speaker 3: Would? I'm gonna go Yannie, because I think that you it doesn't have to pull. You could have high scores in both because I think if it was easy enough and then it was just like and it was something like, oh I never thought of that. You know, like that's great, that's a great little trick to do, and it's just like it's easy. You can be creative and then you can still I mean, you want to inspire people that cook game to actually do it. You don't want to have these crazy complicated recipes. Maybe a couple, but for the most part, you want something approachable. But you got to have that. What's the thing, what's the what's the icing on there, what's the thing that really kind of makes that that recipe shine. You gotta have a little bit of creativity, or every recipe needs to have this one different technique, different ingredient or something that is simple that's just going to elevate that beyond all the recipes I've already seen.
Speaker 9: So I've been making grilled cheeses for a while, my whole life, and only a few years ago did I discover that you can make a traditional grilled cheese and then you finally shred some parmesan on the outside of the grilled cheese, flip it back and forth, and then you have a crust of cheese on the outside of your grilled cheese.
Speaker 3: That is that is a perfect example of that that is approachable and creative. I say five and five.
Speaker 4: I didn't come up with it.
Speaker 6: His wrong answer face.
Speaker 4: I put it to him.
Speaker 2: He came out, yeah, and he's right wrong.
Speaker 7: Do you ever just make a regular grilled cheese, Well, never think about it, don't stop there, and then add another layer of cheese and another piece of buttered bread and just flip it over and then start making layers of grilled cheese and have maybe two or three grilled cheeses all.
Speaker 8: In one different That is interesting.
Speaker 9: You're basically describing a burger King bacon eat or without the patties and bacon.
Speaker 7: I've never had one of those. If I've made many grilled cheeses that have four or five layers.
Speaker 4: Wendy's product.
Speaker 6: Actually, the burger King on getting it was called like a stacker or something you could get. You could get a quade four patties. It was great.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I got way off track. Tell people what else they're dumb not to make this turkey season?
Speaker 3: You know, the heart, liver, gizzard. It's good stuff. Of every of all those delicious animals out there, that's some of the mildest, especially that liver. I love it. What do you do with it? And it's a simple, Patti, really nice.
Speaker 2: Make it creative and approachable.
Speaker 3: You're gonna sear the liver till it's about medium.
Speaker 2: So like I'm dumb, So okay, you're gonna put it.
Speaker 4: I got a turkey, I got a turkey liver.
Speaker 7: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Look, then I do what you're gonna You're gonna season with salt and pepper, and you're gonna put it in a hot pan with some butter, and you're gonna get a little brown on it, and you're gonna cook it till it's not super firm. A little pink in in there, you're gonna remove that, and then in a blender you're gonna blend and there's probably gonna be some sort of shallot or onions chopped up.
Speaker 2: So be good to have your body's turkey liver too, it.
Speaker 3: Would be it'll be helpful. Yeah. Yeah, if you've got a couple, it's gonna it'll it'll help.
Speaker 2: And it'd be also good if you got the gall sack off it.
Speaker 3: Do that that little green thing cut around that, get out of the out of there. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then that you cool it off a little bit and that goes into a blender, uh, and you blend it until it's a smooth paste. And you're adding a little bit of cold butter every couple of seconds till it kind of it's smooth and it incorporated. Check the seasoning there's you know, add some sort of booze in there. It's usually good. A little bit of brandy or apple jack something like that is usually nice. Just a few drops of that and then if you really want to make it good, you're gonna you're gonna pass that. You're gonna press it with the spatula through a little mesh bol strainer and that's going to remove any of the sinews and and just the little stringing parts that are in a little yeah, and then that'll get it super smooth. And then you just chill that and then you eat that with a little bit of warm toasted bread.
Speaker 2: So good, Okay, hit hit me with the gizzard here, I got a gizzard.
Speaker 3: The gizzard, uh, my favorite way to do the combos with me and Kyle Cook. Last time I see it was the ragu where we you know, grind the heart liver gizzard all together and then render out a little bit of bacon or pancetta till that's browned, and then you add that ground heart liver gizzard in there. Then you grind some carrot, onion celery, put that in there and cook that down little tomato paste, little stock, and then hit that with pasta. It's fast, it's it's yeah, I mean like less than an hour and you get these three really distinct textures. You know, we were talking about that, you know, the gizzard you know, it's got a little strength to it that the liver smooths everything out and the heart's kind of in between. You get a little bit of a I mean, I prefer panchetta, but I make a lot of it out of hog bellies. But smoke bacon is delicious as well, a little bit of tomado paste and then that just slow cooks, and then you just cook some pasta. Toss that in there ton of pecorino or parmesan.
Speaker 7: Is that recipe in the Turkey book? It is?
Speaker 6: Turn right, it is?
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 6: I took everybody's collective uh turkey olefual and made made that in one big batch last year at the end of turkey season, and then uh package that up for camp meals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool me and Yanni, that's that's on the menu. Oh good, we're having.
Speaker 2: You want to know another one I stole from you that I tried. I took one of your domestic meat recipes and converted it to a wild eat recipe. Is that at die do?
Speaker 3: Way?
Speaker 2: You guys do that? If you're still doing it? You got all those chicken hearts, Oh yeah, which you're like, he's cooking chicken hearts in fat and then skewering them and then putting them on a hot grill. So I take a like a small little uh oh, I even describe it man, like a.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, like.
Speaker 2: A really heavy sided like imagine like enamel dutch of and it's like dinky, you know, because that way I'm not wasting so much of my fat.
Speaker 7: A little crock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I take like a little crock and just put all a bunch of hearts in there and top it up. You can top it with olive oil if you needed to, but if you got like beef towel or something, top it in there and just ever so like turn your burner down about as low as you can get it and offset offset it even it's just like you're trying to do. You're trying to do like a con fee, which is a super low heat. Right, it's not it's not bubbling like fry oil. It's like a little bit like now. And then it's like a little.
Speaker 3: Blue yeah, blue blue, because if.
Speaker 2: You overdo it, it'll they'll mush out on you. But I do it like that, and then I ask for them.
Speaker 7: How long does that take? The oil part?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, maybe I do them for an hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a little fun dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, duck hearts, grouse hearts, turkey hearts. You want to cut them up?
Speaker 4: They're pretty big, yeah, probably half them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then get have either a live fire or on a grill, and then I put it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if you do it. I can't, mamor if you do it, but I do. I put some cayenne powder around there, some chili powder, something spicy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hot honey would be really good.
Speaker 2: And then yea, that is good. My kids will walk I just eating those little things. They love them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the chicken hearts at the restaurant, my daughter's favorite.
Speaker 2: You still serve that dish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one. I mean, the con fee technique is just so applicable to so many things, you know, just for getting it tender and then coming in on the grill afterwards and just getting it cold, and then putting it on the grill and just you've got that tender meat and then you're adding in the jar and steer and smoke. It works on a lot.
Speaker 7: Oftentimes, I'd limit myself with doing con fee because I feel like the amount of oil or fat needed and the costs associated with that. So a few times I've done it in a bag suv style. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: I feel like it just doesn't work as well. I get it, though I have to. I have a kind of unlimited source of it. I would say, just try to match your like he's saying, match your cooking vessel to the quantity of meat, and save as much of that fat as you can, and you can reuse the fat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I started doing. More.
Speaker 2: I got a shelf above my thing. I got little glass jars full of various oils that have had various things happened to them, and everyone knows not the mess with them. They just get the new stuff. But I'll be like, oh, I remember that oil, and I'll just use it for something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you can raise it for You might want to go in and get that that liquid bottom part out of there, because sometimes that can spoil. But if you've salted the meat previously, usually there's enough salt in that layer then it'll keep it from going off. But if it's another reason, you put it in like a glass jar or something tall sided so you can see it, maybe scrape it out and get that part.
Speaker 2: Off the bottom. You know what the fur trapper Stu Miller does with his old fish fry oil.
Speaker 4: No, he saves his old fish.
Speaker 2: Fry oil, puts it a squirt bottle and when you set in coon couffs and you get let it dribble down the bank and get into the creek or whatever. Yeah, flings a craving on him. Fish fry grease I've had. It's like everything a raccoon could possibly want.
Speaker 7: Right, It's like grease and fish.
Speaker 6: Really good luck with crane legs and goose legs in the doing it the souv com fee style. Yeah, and man, Yeah, a lot of times it's like dealing with the big vat to do a bunch of legs and like a meal for one person, pretty darn easy in the sub style.
Speaker 7: Yeah, buddy of mine shows up at the tailgate with those, so after long day hunting, just pulls that out of the cooler, cold, already done, and just cuts that back bag open and just hands out pheasant legs to people. So you're having a beer and a comb feed pheasant leg It's delicious.
Speaker 5: One of you guys do it the Seth and Kelsey Morris Way, because I know that they're pretty anti plastic, and I put myself into that camp to where I.
Speaker 11: Just I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, heating plastic doesn't sound like.
Speaker 2: Souv and the silicon the silicon zip.
Speaker 5: They pack a sin jar full and then put the mason.
Speaker 2: Jar that's been reading up on that taint shrinkage. Yeah, he's gonna start a podcast called taint Talk.
Speaker 5: It could be maybe it's about that, but it's like, I don't know. My reasons are different. I don't care about that, but just like.
Speaker 2: We're gonna try to get them sponsored by Tate Cookies taint Talk.
Speaker 3: I have a recipe in my first book where you take a teal and you put it in a in a pint mason jar with some par cooked beans and sausage and bacon, and then you put it in a water bath and cook it in the in the jar like it's really good.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's a good way to go.
Speaker 2: Let me hit you in another one. Yeah, why not just set it in a set it up, put your put your fat and your meat and a glass jar and set the glass yard down in there.
Speaker 4: Take more fat again, or use the silicon bag silicon.
Speaker 3: Back it in there pretty good.
Speaker 4: Let me hit So you did. You did the guts?
Speaker 2: Mm hm you we covered uh skin, We covered the guts, We covered the legs. You stole the breasts out.
Speaker 3: Throw them out. I got on this.
Speaker 4: You find Jesse's turkeys. Everything's gone with the breast.
Speaker 7: Not true?
Speaker 3: That is that my birthday meal. My birthday is mid May, and so it's like it is turkey and do verry cobbler along the lines of suv I think that I the how we cook our Thanksgiving turkey breasts.
Speaker 2: Wild turkey, wild turkey.
Speaker 3: I put them, you know, we suvium all kind.
Speaker 2: Of but like I'm dumb, like yeah, yeah, tell me the whole thing.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna use what essentially would be poultry seasoning. So you're gonna have time and regano, maybe some garlic, maybe some lemon, rosemary, and then most importantly a little bit of celery.
Speaker 2: I have a jar of your poultry seasoning.
Speaker 7: There you go, or fresh we talk.
Speaker 3: It, it doesn't matter. You can use celery seed, a few celery leaves, just kind of get that in there, and you can just change up your herbs as you want and then season your turkey breast as you want it and put it in the bag and then.
Speaker 2: You take it to me shortcuts. Here is this in your book.
Speaker 3: It's one hundred percent in there.
Speaker 2: Okay, go God the way to go. That's what to make sure people can get it. But it's in the turkey book. It's in the turkey but still walk us through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so if you're if you're listening and you're like, what, now.
Speaker 3: Take your turkey breast, season it with those delicious things.
Speaker 7: So you haven't sliced the turkey breast.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's a whole turkey breast. Got it could be tenderloin on if you want. I usually remove the tender loins, yep. But uh. And so I've got that whole turkey breast in there, and then seal that up to three days before you're going to cook it, and then just let it sit and then all that season will basically act as a Brian And then I cook that in a water bath at one hundred and forty degrees for three hours on the nose and it is phenomenal from end to end, perfectly cooked.
Speaker 6: And you didn't add any fat in there, no oil, no butter.
Speaker 3: No sometimes that pass Thanksgiving or I've gone and taken that and you can time it. You know, it's like everybody's getting here at twelve thirty, you know, like at nine.
Speaker 4: Are coming at twelve thirty.
Speaker 6: That's how they do it.
Speaker 4: What do you mean at night.
Speaker 5: Am?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, after Thanksgiving lunchtime.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he just picked a random numbers. You can count back earlier.
Speaker 3: Hours anyway, is that central time.
Speaker 7: You were thinking every one of those things? Steve wouldn't have an opinion, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I know, although I love all this because I was I had the same thing like I would in the end. I'd be like, well, you're supposed to put a bunch of butter in there, but not.
Speaker 3: You could if you want it. But what I'm what I'm getting to is I have in the past couple Thanksgivings taking it out of the bag and then seared it in a lot of brown butter or just butter in just one side, and it just got a nice lights sere on it. I actually don't want to cook it that much, more like that one on turkey breast. It's just it's so spot on.
Speaker 10: Three hours, just super moist and then just slice it out, you know, make some turkey stock gravy with giblets and so forth, and then mashed potatoes.
Speaker 2: You mean giblets? You call them giblets?
Speaker 3: I guess I do.
Speaker 2: What do you call them? Randall call them giblets.
Speaker 3: I think that's right now that I hear it out loud tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were talking about this yesterday. What was the word yesterday that we couldn't figure out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I told my favorite tonight a story.
Speaker 4: Yeah what was that? We'll never know?
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 7: I guess it's nice to hear a non cutlet, non fried turkey breast recipe that they are really high on.
Speaker 3: No offense to cutlets and turkey breasts. Yeah, I mean are fried turkey. I love fried turkey a lot.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, case.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what here we left one off. Let's say you did your so we got the guts the skin you said.
Speaker 4: Let's say you pull off the tenders.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, hit me with so now you've pulled your tenders off, not hit me with the tenders.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's a there's a cool visual trick. Actually this didn't go in the book. I cut it out with a knife. But since now I have you seen the fork trick where you hold you know, it's that there's that really thick sinew that runs down about half of the tenderloin. Grip that in your hand and put a fork behind it, just and so that the two times are around that sinew. So then yes, and then pull your hand back and push the fork forward and it just pulls that entire scene.
Speaker 4: Was that not in the book?
Speaker 3: I came to it after, you know, we published that thing pretty quick.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a hot tip.
Speaker 3: Man, it's good, it's really cool, and it gets that seam out of the tenderloin and then you throw that in your stock. I with grilled tender loins, you can kind of weave them onto a skewer to kind of give them more, get them more even Yeah, I would say that or or fried. That's not not not too creative with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're missing anything, were missing any parts of the turkeys?
Speaker 7: I think I think you should just walk us very quickly through, just like you take those tenne of loins basic turkey nuggets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I brin them, uh and then Brian a little bit of buttermilk so that you get a really good adhesion. So wet Brian Yep. Yeah, it can be simple. I mean that's you know, it could just be salt and water. Maybe add pickle juice in there, if you like.
Speaker 2: You to correct them about how it drives you crazy when people say that.
Speaker 3: Dry Ryan, you remember, yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Little he maybe is the kind of guy that forgets his pet peet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's funny. And then a little bit of buttermilk or yogurt whatever, just some kind of thick and then and then it goes into the seasoned flour, which is going to be most importantly. Again, it's going to contain celery seed, Like, out of all all those spices, I think celery is the celery and black pepper kind of the most important thing for poultry in general. That's gonna gives you that KFC. You're like, oh, that's what that was.
Speaker 7: It's always like, what's the key to getting it? Really? Like that thick? You know, batter on there? Like I feel like I'm in there and it's all buttermilky, And then do I put them all my basket first and drop it all at once? Are you going straight out of that buttermilk and dropping it?
Speaker 3: Let them sit. Let I'm sitting the refrigerator for twenty thirty minutes, hour or two, doesn't matter. You let them sit. Also, as you you've got your your your dreads, your flour, and maybe a little buttermilk, maybe drizzle a little bit, so you get these little beads in there. And then what that's going to do when that adheres, You're not just going to have a thin layer of flower on there, but you're also gonna have these little beads of like buttermilky flower. So they kind of give you a little more of those like crackling textures. Oh, a little drizzle of that in there, bred them up really well, and then just set them in the refrigerator, get him cold in like twenty minutes. And then when that.
Speaker 2: When it gets kind of doughey, you don't mind that.
Speaker 3: No, it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: You don't mind it getting a little doey.
Speaker 3: No, I don't mind.
Speaker 2: You know what my kid's been doing. He just makes a god awful mess where he does it. But he cuts the turkey breasts and makes a little a bunch of little tenders and then he just keeps doing it. Dredge flower, dredge flower. Because he's looking to try to build up like a long John Silver.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're gonna get some like doughiness on, dude.
Speaker 2: And then he drops him in the deep frar and Dude, that oil is so full of just all that garbage.
Speaker 3: Man, and he one round and walks away. I would go, I would go one round on the on the dresh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you learned it on the internet. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm hungry, okay, man, the Turkey Book, the Hog Book. What's next?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean I say that in all honesty. I've batting around some ideas, and you know, everybody likes to pontificate on what.
Speaker 2: You know what? It would be a book, the deer book.
Speaker 3: Right, it would be always I get a lot of quests for our ad but I don't think there's a book worth.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be worried about there being a with you. You'll find a book worth, but I feel like you might not find the audience.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah. The marketability of that would be more very very specific, dude.
Speaker 4: I feel like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But if you keep going like the way you're doing it, people are going to be like, I need the series. Yeah, oh right, they're beautiful and it's like Turkey Deer.
Speaker 2: Or you could do the fish book bow Headway.
Speaker 3: I like fish a lot, bullhead whale book.
Speaker 2: The fish book, you'd probably want to yeah, like for I don't know. I mean you have you have a great sense what to do, like you know, hogs in and out. There's a lot of misinformation about hogs. It's a great book. Turkey book. You got a lot of experience. I mean you have a ton of venice experience. There's a ton of interests America's deer people are hunting them from top to bottom, side to side.
Speaker 3: The Deer Book, it's true. I will say it's the front runner. I just want to be noncommittal in this.
Speaker 2: Because you could be cute and'd be like the Squirrel Book. But that's just cute.
Speaker 7: You're just being cute, you know, and a little too niche.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you'd be squirrel. But it's like representative of the rodent book.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: You can do like the Beaver's Muskrats, the Beaver Book Nutria about that. Yep, people would love it. I got something Jesse and I are doing.
Speaker 2: Please tell me about it.
Speaker 6: This will be super fun. Uh, buddy of mine. Eric Johansson out in South Dakota. He's he wouldn't like me saying this, but he's kind of like a poster child for it. Wou'd be like quote unquote progressive farming practices these days, so real heavy on you know, easements for wetlands and native grasses and and stuff like that, right, but which in turn happens to be really really good for wildlife. So he's got on the family farm out there, he's got just an unbelievable wild pheasant hunting situation and lodging and stuff, and and he's a big believer as am I in like the habitat work of pheasants forever. So we and and Jesse included here have come together to we're gonna do a hunt that we're auctioning off at Pheasant Fest this year as a fundraiser for Habitat. And yeah, so we're gonna.
Speaker 2: So the fund raised money goes to where two pheasants forever in the quad, the and the then the and you're gonna hunt this property that is a demonstration of a.
Speaker 6: Lot of really good practices. Yeah, and you two both gonna hunt. Yeah, We're both gonna hunt. Eric's gonna hunt. I'm bringing snort out there. Eric has one of Snort's cousins too, so that's fun and super cute obviously, but it.
Speaker 2: Days the winner get the hunt.
Speaker 6: It's I think it's three days. Uh hunt for two people.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Jesse's gonna be, you know, leading the cooking, but I've been emphatic about the fact that he's not shackled with cooking. I am there to help as much as possible as allowed, so I can learn stuff too. And then yeah, we're gonna hunt lodging and you just got to get get your butt there. But it is a really, really incredible I've been lucky enough to go out there and hunt with Eric a couple of times, and he always says, your dog's invited if you would like to come, that's okay.
Speaker 2: What's up with a thousand dollars I'm seeing a note about a thousand dollars gift card? Yeah, not related related.
Speaker 6: No, that's related. So then first light, we're throwing in a thousand dollars gift card, so to the winners, to the winners yep, so five hundred a piece to get get decked out. Just grease, grease the wheels a little bit, and I'm gonna be available to help you with getting outfitted in your upland stuff from first light.
Speaker 4: So thanks guys, I'll be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've already started. Uh. We shot a few Pheasants this year, and I always started playing with the menu.
Speaker 6: Nice yeah sighs.
Speaker 2: Yes, what about the game?
Speaker 3: Bird book could be I love poultry a lot, so we can.
Speaker 4: Just go with bird Book, the Bird Book an economy of dialogue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, do the Deer Book because I want that book.
Speaker 3: People are going to be like blowing me up right now, what are you gonna write the Deer Book?
Speaker 6: Well, hopefully you have all these names. Is already locked down somewhere and.
Speaker 2: I would kick that book from front to back if you did it right. Remember that movie where that.
Speaker 7: Gal Julia Julia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a book called Stephen Jesse, Stephen Jesse where I cook all this stuff? Who is the actor Kevin ba.
Speaker 4: Mann?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Beautiful?
Speaker 2: Or I also get the jackass guy?
Speaker 7: Oh? Uh Steve?
Speaker 2: No, Johnny, Yeah, I've checked in lately, though I don't. I don't know if I'm older and he is sometimes No, he's way gray.
Speaker 7: He's great out hard.
Speaker 2: Years those boys, Thanks coming on many thanks for having me Hog Book Turkey book, dear book, get to Are you to bundle them.
Speaker 4: When the Deer book comes out?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, you should, you should, you should maybe do you have? You should maybe do a version where you can just get him in a little box like the pair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll wait until that third one comes.
Speaker 4: Oh, then you do a box.
Speaker 2: Good luck man.
Speaker 4: When you go to Austin, Texas and everybody eventually finds.
Speaker 2: Themselves in Austin, Texas, go to die doe. Unbelievable dining experience.
Speaker 3: Man again, I mean it literally means from the two It's part of an Italian phrase. It means from the two kingdoms of nature, choose food with care.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny. We took an uber when we left. Guys like, how do you say that?
Speaker 4: I'm like, you should go on and ask the owner.
Speaker 2: It's like it's die do it, yeah, die do it. Unbelievable dining experience and not stuffy, man, No, not stuffy.
Speaker 3: It's meant to be a neighborhood restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the waiters and waitresses. The waitress they don't act weird. The wait staff doesn't act weird. They don't like whisper and sit with you start telling you a bunch of ship you don't want to hear. It's just like, it's just a great dining experience.
Speaker 3: Man, they are the backbone of it.
Speaker 2: Well, what I have tonight, they don't. It's like they don't do all that garbage my friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a delightful little dish.
Speaker 2: Well tonight I have from my friends at the winery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, oh my god, it's cool.
Speaker 2: They're cool. They come up and take your order and talk to you like you're a person in a restaurant, not like you're like an online like call for company one eight hundred number or something. It's a great It is a great restaurant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it. I like eating there.
Speaker 2: And if you see Jesse eating their come up and be like, dude, shit you be working easy as all right.
Speaker 4: Thanks man, appreciate it, Thank you, Thanks Jessing.
Speaker 3: Thanks