Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty arms Strong.
Speaker 2: And Katty and He Armstrong and Eddy ladye BC's Saturday.
Speaker 3: Night starring Shirts Colin.
Speaker 2: With Genese, I'm Philly, Christen and Ladies and Jo.
Speaker 1: They aired that in place of their normal live show on Saturday Night. The very first EPISO of Saturday Night Live aired this past Saturday night as they were headed into Sunday Night for their actual live show, which was a fifty year anniversary of the program, and all kinds of former cast members and stars, and man, that was some star studded crowd there. Every time they go to a crowd shot thingy and do stuff is like, look, there's so and so, and there's Kevin Cosner, and there's there's Robert de Niro and there's It was just absolutely amazing. A lot of people wondering about why Kevin Costner looked so angry and off put. Everybody else was kind of watching and laughing, and he looked crazed. I've read a couple of different theories about that. There's a couple of actors that are apparently that were there sitting near him and were ripping him off financially, and he's in a big court case with Maybe that's why he was acting that way, or maybe he was drunk. I don't know why, but at one point he ended up holding an Elmo head. Toward the end during a musical number, he looked angry night. He wasn't playing along at all, an angry very tan chomping his gum Vian costner for some reason. Did you see the Adam Sandler song he did toward the end fifty years So I was thinking about that and wondering just from a crafting entertainment standpoint. So Jack Nicholson introduced him, which is cool. Jack Nicholson was in the crowd and he hadn't been seen in public in years. Nobody know if he'd ever be seen again. He's incredibly old, eighty seven or something like that. He's my dad's age.
Speaker 2: But so there he was.
Speaker 1: He introduced Adam Sandler, and Adam Sandler does one of his songs, and I was thinking, Adam Sandler has a special talent for and this is probably why he has sold a billion dollars worth of movie tickets in his life. He has a talent for schmaltz and funny that doesn't cross the line into too schmaltzy or too ridiculous to be schmat I don't know, but he has got a talent for that that's obviously unique, which is why he's so incredibly successful and made so much money.
Speaker 2: So I always think, is this too much?
Speaker 1: And it always kind of gets me emotionally speaking, Yet it's funny.
Speaker 2: That's a tough balance, that thing right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't Yeah, yeah, I might quibble over the term schmalts okay sentimental differently, yeah, sentimental, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Touching okay, Schmaltz is wrong because Schmaltz implies negative sentimental and touching with funny.
Speaker 2: To pull that off the way he does is incredibly.
Speaker 1: Unique, and I guess that's what he did in all his movies that he wrote that were so successful. But I thought that was really good. But this happened toward the end of the show, and thought it would be a good point of discussion, So they had Tom Hanks come out there and set up a bunch of highlight clips from stuff that there's no way you could air anymore on Saturday Night Live, and whether or not that's good or not is its own discussion.
Speaker 2: But this is this is what the setup sounded like.
Speaker 5: As we celebrate the achievements of the past fifty years, we must also take a moment to honor those who we've lost, countless members of the SNL family taken from us too soon. I'm speaking, of course, about SNL characters and sketches.
Speaker 2: That have aged horribly.
Speaker 5: But even though these characters, accents and let's just call them ethnic whigs, were unquestionably in poor taste, you all laughed at them. So if anyone should be canceled, shouldn't it be you?
Speaker 2: The eyes something to think about.
Speaker 1: So I had friends that reacted to the whole thing, and then they ran a montage of a bunch of clips like lots Eclipse over many decades. It's been on for fifty years. That were some of the funniest things and most memorable things I've ever done in Saturday Night Live history, but including bleeping things and blurring things out. But for the most part, like some of my friends were highly offended that they treated it that way. I thought it was Lorne Michael's doing what he does with the colin Jos Michael cha bit where they write each other jokes and they act like they're so disgusted by the jokes, but it's.
Speaker 2: An opportunity to get the jokes on. I just felt like I just felt like it was the same thing.
Speaker 1: We're going to pretend that was just so wrong that we did this, and now are a bunch of the stuff that you really liked.
Speaker 2: I think so, I think you've nail it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think Lorne probably understands pretty well. Where some standards have changed, maybe appropriately, A lot of standards have changed completely inappropriately, right.
Speaker 1: I mean for Tom Hanks to say that we're in questionably in poor taste, as if in poor taste makes something out of bounds for comedy. When when did that become a thing something poor taste can't be funny or for the public.
Speaker 2: I mean that, come on, now, that's hilarious. Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: But it included a few things that I don't understand. Why ethnic accents are off limit. Now. You know, it's like Hankazaria retiring Apuh's voice from the Simpsons because you can't sound like somebody from India.
Speaker 4: Why, yeah, I consider it completely absurd. They would say, well, you're reducing it to a stereotype and lampooning them merely for their nationality and the rest of it. It's an absolutely universal human truth that when we hear languages and accents unlike our own, we notice them and they are odd or amusing to us.
Speaker 2: It's universally true.
Speaker 1: Well, going way way back, John Belushi, Chieberger, Chea Berger, you know ethnic immigrants in Chicago running a diner.
Speaker 2: Are the people that are offended by Then?
Speaker 1: No, no, don't is that every thing but the the and then body shaming had some body shaming there, okay, fine, fat jokes, and then you know, the ambiguously gay duol. I can't believe that actually was a thing for a while, but I'm just surprised it was a thing, because I don't know, gay is just so accepted now. I'm surprised that ever worked. But the most famous one, and it's definitely an interesting point of discussion, is Chevy Chase calling Richard Pryor the N word on Saturday Night Live, which aired in the seventies on network television. And it wasn't really even that big a deal. Is are we in a better place now by not doing that or a worse place? And I would think we're in a worse place, but obvious.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent because we've gone from that was a really good, insightful use of comedy to make a serious point to a point now where we're just so paranoid about it and it becoming less so because the Ebram Kendy garbage era is on the way, and at least in normal society, not academia. But and so we're all, especially white people, just terrified to say anything at all. So you just tell us what to say and take control of our institutions and we will obey you, so you don't call us racists.
Speaker 2: So you can't have an honest discussion like that. Okay, do you have a question?
Speaker 6: No, I don't have a question. I was just in watching this whole thing. I was it was cool to see stuff that I had heard of but I had never seen before. I did appreciate them bringing back some of the older skits.
Speaker 1: All right, because you're young enough, Sarah, I've started before you were born, as Sabrina Carpenter said Saturday, and I've started before her parents were born, which is really something. Yeah, but I don't I what percentage of America if you had all of those clips that were in poor taste, and you know, the death of these characters because obviously they can't be heard anymore. I would love to see polling on each and every aspect of those because I.
Speaker 2: Think they're majority okay. Majority of people would say they're okay.
Speaker 1: M of course, then the pushback would be all the majority of the country's white and so of course you think it's okay to be racist or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, kiss my ass would be my response. Uh, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Comedy exists to push limits and to call out authority and to make people uncomfortable at times. That's its purpose, and I despise efforts to censor it, to preemptively censor it. There are jokes and comedy that I hear that I think are awful, They're stupid, they're mean, they are actually racist or whatever, and I'll gladly tell you when I think that, But the idea that they need to be preemptively censored so they never offend anybody all crack.
Speaker 1: Well, and most of the time, as Ricky Gervasi's pointed out before, we're all laughing because our laughter is us in agreement that that is not okay.
Speaker 2: That's what the joke is so.
Speaker 1: It real reinforces norms. It reinforces that it's not okay, which is interesting. I noticed that, and I was looking for it. One thing that they used to do regularly on Saturday Night Live in the nineties, I guess because I know Chris Farley was involved, probably late eighties old in the early nineties was Pat the you couldn't tell if it was a dude or a chick. I mean, that was an ongoing bit, and she'd go into a barber he or she. Nobody knows if Pat was a man or a woman. We'll just say Pat. Pat would go into a barbershop to get their haircut, and the barber would keep asking questions to try to get a hint is whether this is a male or a female, and everybody would howl with laughter. They didn't include that because apparently they feel like that one's too dangerous or toxic.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's right. They didn't have any Pat. No.
Speaker 6: That was actually a code at one of my old jobs, because you know, you'd have somebody.
Speaker 2: Come through and you'd want to be like, oh, hello, miss oh wait a minute, yeah we had a Pat come from today. Yeah, miile three, which is fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that was a common phrase to observe it and and and make reference to how that makes you feel uncomfortable because we're used to responding to people's sex that there's nothing wrong with that, anybody, you're hurting them.
Speaker 1: So the bit was you're not sure if this is a man or a woman, and then you're going to politely ask questions to try to determine that so you can be more comfortable.
Speaker 2: How is that bad? Nobody?
Speaker 1: The bit was never I'm mean to them or going to hate them or something. It was always I'm politely asking questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we can't have that because that's hurtful. And and if you're offended, you're always right, you know. It strikes me the ultimate oil and water. The things that don't mix is hypocritical, crusading do gooders, and a sense of humor. They just do not intersect.
Speaker 1: Right, And Saturday Night Live, which launched as like the counter culture dangerous, you know, we stick it to the man edgy, then becomes kind of the like leader in enforcing political correctness over time is something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly becomes a tool of conformity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got some more breaking news out of that big meeting in Saudi Arabia over trying to wind down the war in.
Speaker 2: Ukraine that is either good or not or not. A whole bunch of other stuff. On the way. Stay here.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about test driving the Tesla cyber truck.
Speaker 2: With my kids and why I can't why I can't get it.
Speaker 1: Some updates from the Middle East on the peace talks or whatever you want to call them, negotiations about inn and the war in Ukraine. Just got a tip from somebody I know who works in the federal government about the federal government layoffs and how people are taking it, among other things.
Speaker 2: On the way, let's.
Speaker 4: Talk about state government jack in state policy around two of the compare and contrasts between California and Florida's homeowners insurance situation. California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara last week announced a one billion dollar surcharge on private insurers meaning they're policy holders, to prop up the state's insure of last resort, which is now wobbling. Fair The Fair Plan or whatever it's called means. Meantime, State Farm is asking regulators for an emergency twenty two percent rate increase to avoid a dire situation in two.
Speaker 2: It's on top of right, it's already insane. Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, in Florida, where Governor Ron de santiss is announcing lower rates thanks to their legal reforms, that's right. Several of the major insurers in Florida have filed for rate decreases and it doesn't have It's not about fires and storms, it's about policy. Democratic insurance regulators in the Golden State for years suppressed rates even as home values ballooned. State Farm, which is the state's largest fire insurer, said earlier this month it's paid a buck twenty six in claims for every dollar it's collected in premiums over the last nine years, resulting in five billion dollars in losses.
Speaker 2: And California until.
Speaker 4: Recently, was the only state to prohibit insurers from pricing reinsurance. That's, an insurance company has insurance itself, that's part of their costs. Well, California, for reasons that defy any explanation, don't let State Farm, for instance, factor that into their cost basis and so, and they don't allow them to use catastrophe models to adjust rates. The state also bars insurers from dropping policies and areas affected by fires for a year thereafter, which has made it hard to limit exposure. And when they do approve a rate increase is usually less than what's asked for.
Speaker 2: And so companies are just.
Speaker 4: Fleeing the state, leaving hundreds of thousands of people with no option but the fare plan, which is about to become completely insolvent.
Speaker 2: And why a lot of people talked about this back when I was looking for a house.
Speaker 1: Why a lot of people are choosing to rent rather than buy, like practically for the first time ever, just because the map between the price of homes, the energy bills, and the insurance, it's quite the deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely true. So meanwhile, in Florida, DeSantis Ronda Santis spearheaded a serious a litigation reforms in twenty two and twenty three that have headed off an insurance disaster. Insurance had been raising rates by double digits annually in fleeing the market because of rampant lawsuit abuse, which ballooned their insure of last resort, which was called Citizens Property. But now that they've reformed that, eleven new insurers have entered the market in Florida as the last as the result of the last two years of tort reforms, and in fact, again I think it's three of the Big seven. Don't sue me if that's off. Oh, it's four of the top ten have filed for rate decreases. And they just took about half a million policies out of citizens property and they now have better, cheaper private insurance that those half a million homes.
Speaker 1: That's quite the comparing contrast from two different models.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just the Golden State. Everybody wants no lever. I'm leading the way. Like it or not.
Speaker 1: It's just frustrating leading the way in one way U haul rentals, which is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you gonna do? Change policy? Nah? Try something different?
Speaker 7: Nah.
Speaker 2: Year, it's a mob. It's a criminal gang. They do. It's best for the mob, not the voters. Sons of update you on some stories that are going on today.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: In this little piece of information I got about the federal employees that are being laid off is kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: It's an inside source source.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned, Armstrong, Andy, we've lost the late great Norm McDonald who hosted Weekend Up days. That's right, Norm McDonald who hosted Weekend Update until he was fired for making jokes about OJ Simpson and he's obviously one of my heroes. So if you're watching up there, I just want to say, we love you, oj.
Speaker 2: Oh. That's right.
Speaker 1: How's one of the Tom Hanks is uh? Looking back on things that were mistakes having OJ is host? Boy p did he is a musical guest or anything? We didn't know exactly who knew?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Norm McDonald got fired from Saturday Night Live because he refused to stop making jokes about OJ being the murderer. They finally fired him, then they had him back a year later to host the show, which is weird. If you've ever watched that on YouTube, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Damn, Where do I start? First? This the government workers being so upset about being fired, nigga, and I'm not happy you got fired.
Speaker 1: I just I would like it if everybody who worked for the government knew what it was like for the rest of us in the private sector. I just think that'd be helpful for the whole relationship between we the taxpayer and you, the government.
Speaker 2: Worker public servant. You mean you brute right.
Speaker 1: Dedicated my life to public service. Somebody I know who works in the federal government, I don't know if I told this story. I don't think you were here last week and I told this story. So the boss was super upset about having to let go of about a half a dozen people and saying they'd moved here for this job. Oh yeah, and I was losing a job, and yeah, it happens a lot in the real world, but here here it is. Apparently there was a call probably all around the country for people who work in the federal government, and they gave out a phone number for a government funded therapy. Government funded what a term taxpayer paid for therapy. So I'm glad I can pay for your therapy. Are you paying for my therapy? No, I'm paying here for your therapy, and said it's available twenty four to seven for six months after termination or for anyone struggling to come to terms with losing a coworker. So not only are the taxpayer's paying therapy because you lost your job, anybody else ever lose their job out there and nobody paid for therapy on how to deal with it or not even that one of your coworkers got fired, so you lost a friend at work, So now the taxpayer is going to pay for your therapy.
Speaker 2: Good Lord, we are far far down a road and clon our way back is going to be uncomfortable or impossible.
Speaker 1: That's what I've been saying for a couple of weeks now. The pushback to Elon, the vilification of Elon, the chanting in the streets, and all that sort of stuff shows you just how much they'd feel like, No, they're owed, they're owed a lifetime job, and nobody should pay any attention to whether they're needed or not. It's really out of bounds to question this stuff.
Speaker 4: And that's the folks in the street. And I can forgive them for having formed certain attitudes over the years. I mean, they need to come correct and wake up to the reality, but I don't resent them coming to those conclusions because they've been told that for years and generations. Really, the people I really want to kick where it hurts is the union heads who have realized, and they realized a number of decades ago, if we could organize government workers and make it permissible for them to unionize, that is the most permanent industry that has ever existed. We will get crazy rich, and we will get crazy powerful. And then the politicians who are propped up by those union heads. And this is the story of California politics obviously, but increasingly federal too.
Speaker 2: That is the true evil there. They are unholy.
Speaker 4: They they work counter to the interests of taxpayers, even as they howl that the only thing they care about is the taxpayers and quote unquote public servants.
Speaker 2: It's a scam.
Speaker 1: Well, this federal worker that I know said that is one of the reasons they're upset is they are told when they're hired, you know, you'll have to work this many hours, this will be your pay, but you can't get fired.
Speaker 2: Really, so you're you know, that's one thing you can count on.
Speaker 1: So you know, if I took a job and I was told I couldn't get fired, when I got fired, I would be, you know, unhappy about it.
Speaker 2: The uh, the.
Speaker 1: Problem is we shouldn't have jobs, and why would you Why would there be such a thing as telling somebody you can't be fired?
Speaker 2: Why would that?
Speaker 1: Why would those civil service protections exist? Last week we were talking about how most of the people that are being let go so far fall within that first year or two of probationary period where you don't before you get the civil service protections.
Speaker 3: Why do those protections exist, how do you get.
Speaker 2: Rid of them? Yeah? Why why would you have them?
Speaker 4: Well, because the union, you know, government official scam. It was sold to us as something good. It's insidious, it's it's a scam. It's a mob, it's a it's a racket.
Speaker 2: That's the term. I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: Different thing I wanted to talk about. And really my ultimate point is going to be I don't know, my ultimate point is going to be complaining about customer service or AI not being where it ought to be yet or something like that. But I test drove a Tesla cyber truck over the weekend because I was kind of interested in maybe one of those, And man, that's the most controversial vehicle out there. People either like them or they just absolutely loathe them. It is, and it's the most striking vehicle on the world road. I mean, there's nothing as weird looking at as that. Maybe ever, Yeah, I try to keep an open mind. I've seen them in the wild.
Speaker 2: Not a fan. Yeah, well but there's not a fan.
Speaker 1: And then there's like loath, which I don't really get for any car.
Speaker 2: I can't get that worked up about when you drive on.
Speaker 6: But yes, Katie, they're making all of these wraps for the cyber trucks, and I saw one online the other day.
Speaker 2: Someone wrapped it like a Ford f one fifty. That's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really wanted like the sort of person who would do that.
Speaker 2: I think we would get along.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to get When I drove it, and I absolutely freaking loved it. Many the steer by where a wire steering that they call it is unlike anything I've ever driven in my life.
Speaker 2: It's so cool.
Speaker 1: Does a U turn on a dime and you hardly have to move the steering law. Very cool, smoothest riding vehicle I've ever been in my life. Really really liked it. But my son said, I will walk home from school. If you're gonna pick me up in that, I will just go ahead and walk the home. It'll take me an hour, but I'll just walk home from school. I can't have you picking me up for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fine, he'd get over that. A friend of his said, I can't be friends with you anymore if your dad.
Speaker 2: Drives a cyber drunk wow. Wow Wait a minute. And then how to resist the oppression of today's youth.
Speaker 1: And then I tweeted out a picture of me standing in front of it after I did the test drive, and the number of people saying you're single, You really think you're ever gonna not be single?
Speaker 2: If you drive that? Oh well, you know blow.
Speaker 1: You would have the situation if you drive one of those of if you're going on a date, pulling up and thinking coin flip, They're either gonna think oh cool or think ah.
Speaker 2: My stomach's feeling kind of funny. I don't know if I should go out to eat.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a deal breaker. I think that would be a deal breaker for a lot of people. So weird looking. I do love the videos you can see on YouTube of raccoons and bears trying to get into them because they think they're a trash dumpster.
Speaker 2: Those are fun. I didn't that's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm trying to picture myself as somebody being picked up for a date, and that appears. I think I would My curiosity would overcome any.
Speaker 2: Jees that's an ugly truck.
Speaker 4: This is I can only assume the person driving it is not to my taste.
Speaker 2: I would just think, eh, let's take a ride.
Speaker 1: But that aside, and this speaks to lots of different areas of life and kind of Elon himself. So Elon such an interesting thinker, as we're seeing with Doge and the rockets and the electric car, the most successful electric car of all time.
Speaker 2: But he decided we're not going to have human beings.
Speaker 1: It's all going to be you do everything online for everything, and that's one of the reasons why we're going to streamline this. And it just flat doesn't work. It just flat does not work at all. So I find that's interesting and it makes me a little concerned about Elon where he is on trying to pare down the government, because if he thinks that works, it doesn't. And if he thinks he can do that in a government office by eliminating human beings because we'll just have computers and they can go online.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work. Hey, Elon, you're the world's riches man.
Speaker 1: Hire somebody at minimum wage to answer phones and all your dealerships so somebody could call and ask a question. Ever, I think that'd be a great move. No, no, no, you put him to the internet energy to get lost into the world of sent to this page and that page, and you can't ever ever figure anything out. It just flat doesn't work. And I find that juxtaposition of brilliant, innovative, groundbreaking change the world with kind of basic tried something new, non functional, an interesting thing that goes together in his brain.
Speaker 4: Maybe faith in technology being a little too right enthusiastic. Yet you know, it's funny. I hadn't even thought of it, but I bought a vehicle not long ago and was trying to get Judy's phone connected, and you know her, it's just that whole tech hookup thing. And I kept running into a problem, and I had the number of the tech guy at the dealership.
Speaker 2: I just called him. I said, hey, Zach here, Yeah, how do I do this? He said, yeah, go to the phone instead of the and it's two stacked. Actually said thanks, dude. I actually said to it to some employee inside the building.
Speaker 1: I said, you know, all other car makers, and especially luxury car makers, because these are expensive vehicles. I said, you know, you buy a Mercedes, you've got the guys like home cell phone, you can call and talk to him anytime you want. You got a question. You can't get a hold of a single human being for this car. And I think that's a big blind spot for y'all. But I said, you know, just my opinion, if you're ever in a meeting, I think that's.
Speaker 2: A great point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if he thinks he can take over, and I'm all for cutting government agencies that don't work and employees and all this sort of stuff. But if he thinks you can just replace it all with computers where you're going to try to get out checks.
Speaker 2: To people or something like that.
Speaker 1: Eh, you haven't proved it works with your big car company yet at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go ahead and figure out that text question online. Have fun, let me know how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and go into the rabbit hole of you can't find your answer and very very frustrating. Anyway, maybe AI will figure that out in the future.
Speaker 2: I have no idea nice job a rabbit hole.
Speaker 4: Oh that reminds me, you know, it was kind of hot to trot to play Clip fifteen.
Speaker 2: Can we play this? Come on? This is going back.
Speaker 4: This is not the Saturday Night Live fifty year retrospective, but it's a little looking back through the.
Speaker 2: Sands of time. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 7: A report tells us how to cut waste, cut red tape, streamline the bureaucracy, al Gore and create a government that works better and costs less by.
Speaker 5: Paying for these plans, first with cuts and government waste and efficiency.
Speaker 7: Second, with cuts not gimmicks and government spending.
Speaker 2: Will prove that we can spend the money we have in an appropriate way and stop wasting so much.
Speaker 7: We will be looking at every other agency and program asking the direct question, do we really need this agency?
Speaker 2: Do we really need this program?
Speaker 5: One of the commitments that I made of American people was that we would do a better job here in Washington and rooting out a wasteful spending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all. That's all Democrats in those clips. I think they probably meant it, or at least I remember when al Gore Ran Memori was on Letterman with the hammer and he put on his goggles to smash an astray and he said, this hammer cost taxpayers twenty five hundred dollars because.
Speaker 2: Of blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I believe they wanted to do it. It's just impossible, especially if you're not.
Speaker 4: Well. Modern Democratic party though, is suggesting that to even try it is evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they wrong, and they would never consider getting rid of anybody part of the package. Well, I don't know that's going to work. Then we got a lot more on the way. We'll finished Strong. Stay here, I'm going to be following what happens out of Saudi Arabia today, the big meetings between the United States and Russia. Rubio and Lavrov see what happens there. And you got Zelensky hanging out in Turkey seeing, hey, if you need me, if you want me involved, since it's my country that got attacked, I'm right here.
Speaker 4: We went big, big, big, big big on free speech issues, including CBS on sixty Minutes just enamored with the Germans censoring of insults online and that they just were enthusiastic about the new German way, and then Margaret Brennan with an idiotic comment to Marco Rubio on Face the Nation about how Nazi Germany got started because of weaponized free speech and isn't that proof that's free speech is not good? I mean, it was just insane. We went really big on that hour two of the show. If you weren't here Gravit via podcast, Armstrong and Getty on demand, you probably ought to subscribe. But I didn't get a chance to squeeze in my favorite part of and what launched a lot of this, or at least part of it is. Jadvans gave a big speech in front of Europe talking about how, hey, y'all got to stop suppressing the speech of your voters or it's going to explode. And the Germans says this is not acceptable, which is proof that he was right. They didn't say you're wrong, and here's why they said, it's not acceptable for you to say that, which is really really something. Thank you for proving my point. But I wanted to get to this. I absolutely love this National Review editorial board. There is nothing because a lot of people squealed, oh, it's improperly, he shouldn't have done that. He insulted our allies, some of the useral suspects of that. There's nothing incongruous or unwise about the American government reminding our allies in Europe that an organization that exists to protect liberty and democracy ought to be filled with members who believe in liberty and democracy, especially when those allies pride themselves on being the enlightened figures in the room. It's reminding them, hey, we protect democracies. That's the point, so you gotta be one. Yeah, I don't think that's improper or out a line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
Speaker 1: What do you have a guess as to what percentage of people think free speech is.
Speaker 2: Dangerous in what country? This country? Yeah, in the United States? No, I know. The figures I saw recently among young people are just shocking.
Speaker 1: Well, it must shocking. It must be higher than I think it is for CBS to present it is. Clearly they're on the right side of history here by putting all these limits on free speech. I mean, we can't have people insulted on the streets, are on the internet for crying out loud.
Speaker 4: It's so easy to demagog it because you present a single instance and say, wouldn't it have been better if this idiot hadn't said this to that nicely?
Speaker 2: And it's true, well, right of course it is.
Speaker 4: But then when you extrapolate it even a little bit to a society and you give people the power to censor and the power to decide what should be censored, it ends up as a nightmare every single time. I would rather attend to the problems of too much liberty than too little.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much who said that? Uh TJ.
Speaker 4: Tom Jefferson, maybe you've heard of them. I don't blame the young people because they've been indoctrinated to believe something terrible.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, if their high school and college teachers have told them free speech is wrong.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was weaponized to uh exterminate Jews in Germany, for instance.
Speaker 2: Well then why would they think any different? But well, and then they'll hit them with you.
Speaker 4: You can't yell fire in a crowd at theater, which of course is a quote from a Supreme Court case saying just because that's true doesn't mean you get to stretch it, But people use it as an excuse to stretch it.
Speaker 2: I'm strong, I'm strong.
Speaker 1: Ready.
Speaker 2: Here's your host for final thoughts.
Speaker 4: Jokay, let's get a final thought from everybody on the crew.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be fun? Michaelangelo lead the way. You know, I really enjoy the SNL stuff. But my wife and I were watching together.
Speaker 6: We kept saying, oh my gosh, he looks old now, and oh my gosh, she looks old now.
Speaker 1: And there was a lot of that. When did David Spade become seventy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Katie Green our final thor esteem Newswoman with final thought, Katie.
Speaker 2: I will forever think that Norm M.
Speaker 6: MacDonald was the greatest thing on SNL and I got to meet him and he was such a nice guy and I miss him.
Speaker 4: Dearly Minnesota nice right, yeah, Canada. Oh that's right, that's northern Minnesota. It's the name of the new state. Jack final thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am definitely gonna keep my eye on this whole free speech thing.
Speaker 2: It's way worse than I thought it was.
Speaker 1: For sixty minutes to not even have an opposing point of view a free speech warrior on at all, highly troubling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And it would be easy to just dismiss sixty minutes is a relic of the past, were it not reinforced by what the kids are learning in school. I mean, it's a fight, and I've been saying this for years and other people have two. We got so lazy about advocating for why our principles are important and good. We just assumed everybody loves liberty and always would. We don't need to teach our kids about it. Yeah, well we got We got bested by the Marxists.
Speaker 1: I'm strong and getty, wrapping up another grueling four hour.
Speaker 4: Workday, and the would be totalitarians, so many people to thank, so little time. Go to Armstrong and Getty dot com. Are hot lengths, oh hotter than ever. Pick up some of AA and g swagg while you're there for your favorite A and GFN.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's you. Drop us a line mail.
Speaker 4: Bag at Armstrong and Getty dot com.
Speaker 1: Bill Murray looked a hundred, didn't he, Michael, because he's really old.
Speaker 2: We'll see tomorrow.
Speaker 1: God bless America.
Speaker 3: I'm Strong and Getty not my captain America.
Speaker 2: I think your star spangled Max. So is this a real thing? Yeah? It is? So no, Joe, Let's go with a bang. And it was like they got shot with a dart in the jugular that contained like the methamphatamine and rabies okay, and like wow, I'm like, what is wrong? Guys like you got right on the Armstrong and Getdy