Speaker 1: Hey, guys, it's us Brothers. Your favorite podcast related to us? Kevin, there was a season you were kind of like campaigning. You were a flat earther. I like to get a rise from people, So you think that you were just doing it. Oh, it was a bit. It was a complete bit. There's no chance that Earth was flat, but it was pretty fun to just get people riled up if you like pushed them hard enough that you've actually believed that. See, here's the thing you say that.
Speaker 2: You say that prove it, but you always say that after prove it, which makes me think that you're leaving the possibility that you can do a told you so later on in life. Should we all be, you know, surprised by what is absolutely not?
Speaker 1: Now we have receipts, we have a podcast. Yes, well I do you guys want to hear what I have? I'd love to. Okay, clapping always think that's when Kevin usually speaks, and you know classic also of course, Oh yeah, I like that one. Hell, we'll go back to the one. You do it.
Speaker 2: You're probably wondering how I got here. That's good right some time. Yeah, So that's my life.
Speaker 1: That's very very Disney. Keep going I do. I do give you a Disney Channel one. It's like.
Speaker 2: She said no to going to the dance, like one of those Okay, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: I like that. It's important that we have that for you. It's good, it's good for me. Keeps you focused, it's good for you. It's going to get annoying for you. Guys. Yeah, I don't believe the Earth is flat. Okay, I guess what do I know? I hit the wrong one. I was. Joe does not agree with me. Everyone.
Speaker 2: We have an incredible guests and raised us. Yes, he actually it's our dead no TV Bill Night Bill Night.
Speaker 1: The Science Guy are one of the best, like musical intros of a TV show.
Speaker 2: By the way, Brutal the Science Guy. I had that in that too. I'm so excited to talk to him. I know, Kevin, You're you're chomping at the time, Jones and yeah, I haven't seen you this excited for a guest yet. Don't tell the others, well, they're not listening. Who would be your dream podcast guest?
Speaker 1: Tony Stark?
Speaker 2: So Tony Stark so RDJA in character or just in character? Because you know, Tony Stark's not a real person.
Speaker 1: I know, but in character as Tony Stark, you can truly know that it would be just an epic interview, super fun. Yeah, you're gonna have to pay him about fifty million dollars to do that. Yeah. Hey, you asked, what's my dream? That's my dream? What about yours?
Speaker 3: Joe, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't even thought about this. I have to think about it's not a good answer. Well, let me think about it for a second.
Speaker 2: You go first, Uh, Messy Messi's cool, be sweet, I'd like to talk to MESSI.
Speaker 1: I would like to talk to Brunson after we win the finals. Go nixt I'm sorry, I was, I was. It was a good answer. You should take the time minute as correctly. I feel like we'll get back to that. I'll come back before our next guest. Make sure to reach out to us on our hotline at one eight four, Hey, Jonas one eight four four, three nine, five six six two seven us a message. Those numbers on the dial do have letters.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, I left a message for someone the other day, first time I've done that in probably two or three years.
Speaker 1: Like voice, my dad doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved a voicemail and I felt like such an adult. I even said my number, thank you for teaching number. That's my this is my this is Nicole, My number is blah blah blah blah. Give me call back at your convenience. And they called me back right away because obviously because I left my number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, because they did it as hop up. Yeah, all right, here's Bill Nye, lads and gentlemen, the incredible mister Bill Nye, the nice guy. Is the science guy part of your legal name now? Or no, I have copyrights? That's so?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Then yes, I think it is with and without the word the or the Thank you so much for being on our podcast. I got the pleasure of meeting you with a forum, yes, or a special We're trying to remember what it was, but it's very special. Environmental hipster or a groovy thing, that's what it called. It was actually called the environmental hipster groovy. So why were you there? Yeah? I was EI there. I was the I don't care about it, the groovy thing. He was the environment you're the groovy thing.
Speaker 2: May I ask you, sir, what was your impressions of Joe when you met him?
Speaker 1: He raved about you?
Speaker 3: No no comment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. It was so many NDAs it has a celebrity chat. You know, we grew up watching you every morning. Yeah, and sometimes if the teacher was bored enough or maybe hungover. Now that we're adults, MA understand, they'd put you on the screen. They'd wheeled the TV in and you know, ship was going to go off if bill Ny was on the TV. So you changed my life? You liked honestly? Did you?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: You made me fall in love with school and understanding what like wondering? I love you man.
Speaker 3: That is so nice. Thank you. That's the goal. That was the goal of the show, to get people excited about science.
Speaker 1: Give us the background, like how did you go from working as a stand up comedian to first Boeing engineer? That's right, so you're an engineer by trade. Give us a background.
Speaker 3: I still have a license. Everybody engineering license. So I went to engineering school because I like bicycles and airplanes. Who doesn't kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then I was graduated in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 1: WHOA, that's great, back in your twentieth century. And then oh it's on our headphones. I have a sound sounds great, it's good cheering and clapping. It's a little aggressive thing. Anyway, it's all good.
Speaker 3: I claim that Steve Martin's first two albums, Let's Get a Small, Wild and Crazy Guy, they were so popular. They were so popular that that weekend after the second one came out, every big city in North America had one or two comedy clubs, and along with that, Warner Brothers Record sponsored the Steve Martin Lookalike Contest. The guy who had been my freshman roommate, Dave Lax, was still a friend mine, and he comes hurrying over to you got to see this guy. You got to see this He's just like you. The way he moves, just like you. He talks like when I saw the video of Steve Martin at the boarding house.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I entered the.
Speaker 3: Steve Martin look at Like Contest a year later in a completely different city, pressured to enter by a completely different set of friends, and I won in Seattle. N I did not advance beyond Seattle, but after that people wanted me to do Steve Martin routines at a party or an event or a thing.
Speaker 1: Sure, did you get hired? Like, did you make some cash on the side for college man beer money? That's why twenty five bucks. Yeah, exactly, And so I eventually doing stand up this and that.
Speaker 3: I started writing jokes for a comedy show, almost live and so on that show. One time a guest didn't show up Ros Schaeffer. Have you ever met Ros Schaeffer? He was still a dear friend of my host to show you know, we Bill, why don't you that science? You're always talking about science, Why don't you? So I did the household uses of liquid nitrogen. It was funny, and so in a writer's meeting, Ross said you'd be Bill Nye, the science guy or something, and then he kind of got up and left. And so one thing that I do another you guys, And it took another few years to get my own show.
Speaker 1: Wow, and nineteen Emmy Awards later.
Speaker 3: Nineteen yeah, nineteen Emmy Awards, and now it just five No wow, young people. Wait, there's more. I just got a Lifetime Achievement Emmy, which means you guys, it just means the world to me.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Thank you.
Speaker 3: And I now too have a star on the Walk of Fame.
Speaker 1: And you're wearing a very incredible pin if you don't mind, I'm yes, I'm wearing tell us about this pin.
Speaker 3: Wealsser, this pin of visit, which one the Presidential Medal of Freedom. It just means the world to me, you guys. Both of my parents were veterans, everybody, let's digress about this. So my dad was a civilian working on Wake Island, Middle Pacific Ocean. Nowhere. They were bombed on December eighth, which is the same as December seventh, nineteen forty one, because the International date line is part of the Japanese military strategy to take over Pacific. He spent four years as a prisoner of war. My mom, everybody, my mother happened to be by the dumb walk of the universe, graduated from this liberal arts women's college in Baltimore, Goucher College, in the spring of nineteen forty two, right after Pearl Harbor. She and several of her classmates were recruited to be crypt analysts to break codes. My mother was one of the code.
Speaker 1: Girls like the movie Enigma, but different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except in the US. Yeah, and so this is I thank you, well done. So I didn't cue him, all right. So, so the British had a few hundred women code breakers, the US had ten thousand, just understand the US was able to throw a lot at the problem. And everybody, I just remind you the Japanese military did not include women at all. The Nazis did not include women, and.
Speaker 1: They lost and we won the war.
Speaker 3: Diversity wins wars. Don't come running to me. That is objectively true. People, And so my mother, I will just say, speaking of objectively, she was good at puzzles, like crossword puzzles, and so because she was just really good at that stuff, she used to write limericks.
Speaker 1: And that's amazing. Well as as three girl dads here, we appreciate that.
Speaker 2: S Yes, that message, it's true, absolutely, and it sort of is a segue to a non sequitor.
Speaker 3: A segue to a non sequitor.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, man, we are going to get fully educated on it. It's a sequiteck me.
Speaker 2: The question is, you know, we've wondered, is there any science behind that? And you may you know behind what the fact that we all have girls, no boys in the family, five granddaughters for our parents after four boys unknown captain.
Speaker 1: But I read an article actually about it. Slightly. You slightly read an article. I don't know if this doesn't necessarily apply directly to us, but it could in some capacity. So if you talk to Navy seals, they have majority of percentage more more females than as daughter. Like there's a stressful environment set. They're of the workplace, Yes, so there tsosterone is shifted, so they are it produces more female energy in their offspring. So you think that we've been under the men's amount of stress like Navy seals. No, I'm not comparing the two, but in the environment where we're around men a lot, where we're in the same like living environments, Like it's that thing. Like I said, I did to be a clear, I did say this does not necessarily apply to us.
Speaker 3: But well, you guys, books have been written about this, and reproductive outcomes are a source of fascinations since time immemorial. And so sure, I don't know, you guys, there's other spec I don't want to I don't know who listens to watches this podcast. But there's other speculation about what's the other speculation about how one interacts when one is producing a k.
Speaker 1: It Oh, so the act of the production speculation has been speculated. Well that's actually you know, it's funny enough, we do have.
Speaker 3: See it always becomes about sex everything.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll keep it kind of on topic. Then music keep it where we will keep it on topic on topic. I do have a question about this specifically though, the female. They's just get annoying when people ask you question science. No, no, what because you're an engineer by trade?
Speaker 3: Yes, well, but also i'd like to consider myself now an educator.
Speaker 1: Yes, and yes, absolutely all of us already.
Speaker 3: You want to avoid man's planning. But there's two really common ones. But the big one now is are there aliens?
Speaker 1: Are there?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, there have to be respectfully completely. There's two hundred billion stars in our galaxy alone, and there may be ten times that many galaxies.
Speaker 1: People, what are the chances?
Speaker 3: How could they're not?
Speaker 1: Pretty selfish? The physics, so it's just it breaks all of our laws to be able to travel beyond the speed of light, right and so far so far? So it has to be the ability to wormhole it essentially right to get them here or they are to.
Speaker 3: Get aliens here. That's a whole another.
Speaker 1: Well, by our understanding of these so called well, that's it breaks the physics that well.
Speaker 3: No, but hold on to say that there are living things or self reproducing organisms elsewhere is one claim. To say they've come here in spacecraft and crashed is a whole another. And I can tell you, guys, I had very low level security clearance for why I worked on the spider plane.
Speaker 1: There is so much stuff flying around.
Speaker 3: I cannot even express to you the flying aroundness of flying around on the order of a million things flying around, certainly several hundred thousand things flying around. Here's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Why don't they paint spy planes light blue so you couldn't see them against the blue sky?
Speaker 1: Why don't they do that? They do do that, and you can't see them.
Speaker 3: They're so small against the sky. It's just this rudimentary trick that just.
Speaker 1: Wow, there's just that much stuff up there that we don't have so much stuff. Well, you said, there's a few things that you get asked quite often. So one is are there aliens? Where are some other questions that Bill and I fans are constantly asking.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stuff about.
Speaker 1: The earth, health health things.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh, I don't want to disparage any car brand. There is a dealership in Van Eys. There's a guy there, an associate this guy believes the Earth is flat. This actually just well and so this is somebody who went to high school in the US. Earth is not flat, you guys.
Speaker 1: Prove it. It is a Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is a hard thing. And I came of age you guys when whack a Mole was a new game. But this is this is whack a mole. If you after you show him this, then that because the for this guy, the moon is round, Mars is round, Saturn's round. But somehow the Earth is flat, Like dude, it's it's a tough one, and uh, you know it is an extraordinary claim. When you're on the beach looking the ocean, the Earth looks pretty flat.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but then you zoom out and see a ship coming over the horizon. There you go.
Speaker 3: You know, Christopher Columbus is supposed to have done that where the ship disappears yet doesn't fall off the Earth. It's really an amazing thing, you guys, that ocean and the air are held on the Earth by gravity.
Speaker 1: Do do do do do do do?
Speaker 3: And still really no one knows exactly where gravity comes from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like what would happen if it just stopped one day, like drift into space. No, but I mean there's something to that. Yeah, it is what happened.
Speaker 3: So there's another question that everybody has asked. And I tell you, if you meet somebody who hasn't asked this question, they're lying to your face. There's no such thing as time because now is already in the past, and so like now, if I say now, well, then that's what that's was.
Speaker 1: It sounds like this dealership smokes a lot of weed.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a question that everybody is asked.
Speaker 1: Do you believe in like the the universal sync thing where, like you know, now, is the past passes the future, everything's all in one line linear time? Or is time?
Speaker 3: Actually well, so far, you guys, time seems to only be going one way. Uh, for us, you can't go back as far as anybody can tell. Yeah, there is a theory, and by that I mean a physics theory that you could build a time machine that would enable you to go back, but you couldn't go back any farther than when the time machine was built. Do you follow me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but still even that hasn't been shown to be true.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't be able to go back further? Well, I don't know that much more of the creation the time machine.
Speaker 2: If you could go back to a moment in your career that would predate this supposed time machine, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, they'd probably involve certain women and so on. That makes sense, but wish certain woman. Yeah, it's a tough one and I know you guys have dealt with that your whole careers and so so a moment in my career, Yeah, maybe, seriously, I would have maybe left Seattle sooner. Seattle saved my life. I love Seattle. I'd love to go back Seattle, visit my friends and stuff. But there's a period there where I was really trying to get on with the next thing. And maybe that's you can't go back people, it's not an option.
Speaker 1: That's the learn and who we probably would be sitting with Steve Guy, the science guy. Yeah, well Steve Guy, Steve Steve Martin, and Steve.
Speaker 3: Steve Martin embraces science, you know, he did that whole Yeah, it's just I love that his documentary is really fantastic. I love that documentary.
Speaker 1: That So I have some questions from some people that would love to ask them, and I'm going to ask them for them. So this is mark AI is becoming such a huge part of everyday life, ironic. Is there anything that excites you about it? Or should we all just be genuinely be worried.
Speaker 3: Two things genuinely excite me about artificial intelligence. So the first thing, artificial diligence RUSH circles greet me. It's going to write my term paper and they're going to realize I didn't write it. By Okay, that's all good, that all sounds great. Yeah, but tell me shirt, I don't mean to trivialize it. That's really important where people can't think for themselves and so on. But two specific things I'm very excited about. The first one is agriculture. When I went to the World's Fair in nineteen sixty five in New York, New York, the town's so nice they named it twice. There were three billion people in the world. They had a United Nations had a total board, Total Board scoreboard. Now there are almost nine there's eight and a half billion people, and we're feeding them somehow. But I believe we could make more efficient farm crops and more efficient grains, more efficient. Everybody loves corn, but more efficient crops, and we would make them drought tolerant, flood tolerant, even weather tolerant.
Speaker 1: Where they don't blow over windstorms.
Speaker 3: Right, And we would do that by using artificial intelligence to make a genome of a crop of sway that would be more robust than what we have now and feed more people.
Speaker 1: Would we grow it on Earth? Yeah, because we're run out of space, so like, how do we how do we have growing stuff in space?
Speaker 3: Is a hassle. Earth is great, And I remind people farming is not natural. If you stop farming, it goes back to some other thing. So just accept that we are running the show here on Earth. Is not a gig. We audition for we are in charge of the Earth. Humans are running it. We have to make good decisions about the Earth. Everybody vote, don't make me come over there. And if you're too young to vote, make sure the grown ups in your life vote and have insist that they vote with the climate of mind. That's the first thing. Second thing, everybody, what are we doing. We're on an electric podcast. We all have electric phones. I came here an electric car. Electricity is the key to our future is having energy for everyone. If we had unlimited electricity, we could change the world and so you're in your lifetime of your kids. We are almost certainly going to harness fusion. There are so many organizations working.
Speaker 1: On fusion fusion reactors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so not splitting big atoms like have uranium or thorium, having them fall apart, release the weak a heat of the weak atomic force, instead smashing protons for example, together overcoming the so called strong atomic force, releasing heat and light, capturing the heat. Running a turbine, a steam turbine making electricity?
Speaker 1: Is that the collider a collider? Yes?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: What that is? That would be yes? And so there's so many different.
Speaker 3: Schemes going on. So here's been the problem in the collider, okay, is containing these particles that are going near the speed of light, going very so called high temperature, containing them with a magnetic field. So this is a plasma. Are we down with a plasma? A plasma is like a gas, but all the electrons are like off on their own, like doing their own thing, and so it's very hard to manage. But I think with an artificial intelligence, computer driven system, you'll not only be able to contain the plasma where it is, but anticipate where it's going to fly. The old saying that I didn't make up. It's like trying to handle jello with chopsticks, challenging.
Speaker 1: That's a great stake. I didn't make it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's very reasonable to me that artificial intelligence computer gizmo could manage a magnetic field well enough to smash these things together on Earth in a big building, make a lot of heat, make steam, run a windmill going backwards, and move magnets and make a make electricity.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: If we had unlimited electricity, Oh my goodness. What is the ultimate goal? Everybody, fathers of women girls? Is to raise the standard of living of women and girls. When you raise the standard of living of women and girls, everybody is better off. The old thank you think, But I didn't make this up, you guys, it's not my idea. But you know the old saying happy women and girls, happy life. Somebody goes something like that. Yeah, I paraphrase. And so for that, Uncle Bill says, we want clean water, access to the internet because that gives everybody the chance to get education. The Internet's not perfect, but it gives everybody in the world chance to get education. And for that we need renewable reliable electricity back to you.
Speaker 1: Wow, fantastic, A great answers. I definitely agree that AI is more of is a tool, and yeah, exactly, and we're gonna run out of energy trying to figure it out. Kevin has been using AI recently to create apps. And who writes all your songs? No? No, no, no, definitely not just hits, just the hits strictly the hits, the ones we sell. Actually, speaking of that, is there a science to music that like, obviously frequencies are important. We've got you go all the way back. When did you guys start playing guitars and stuff? Thirteen was when I picked up really yeah? Did you play the piano before that? I did not.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. You guys are like freaking prodigy.
Speaker 1: He started younger. Yeah, it was about eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eight, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a mandate from our parents have said eight years old, you gotta play now.
Speaker 3: But you just picked that up and thought it was cool.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was doing musical theater before that, New York is a theater kid.
Speaker 1: And then I started, you know, playing instruments soon after that.
Speaker 3: Because I never picked it up and I'm around, Look everybody, I'll tell you. I've tried to play the guitar.
Speaker 1: Get get the banjo and your Steve Martin routine.
Speaker 3: No, it's all fake. Okay, No one can hold the string down against the frat without touching the other string. You're not kidding me, and I know you, not exactly. I'm fine with it. I've come to terms with it. No, it is impressive. So apparently dogs respond to octaves when you double the frequency, dogs know it?
Speaker 1: And what's the pentameter thing? When there's five notes and people can figure pop music? The theory of music is lost on us.
Speaker 3: Heck it is he it is. No, you guys are amazing, so sorry, respectfully, and I have rocked out to sucker quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Me is the one.
Speaker 3: I mean in cake by the Ocean, which makes perfect sense anybody.
Speaker 1: From kids up to your grandmother making you a homemade meal. Okay, Kevin, what's your question about science related to music? I was just saying, is there is there science you want to know? Is there science related music? For baby making music? It always comes back to second, it does. I was trying to ask this a while Agoes and Kevin was like fangirling and started asking much a question about it. I just want to know. That was Mark's question, that wasn't even mine. Okay, you know if there's if there's a relation there, like you know because you said, well, there's a lot of books about this, but music related? Is there? Is it particular music being played? Help with I don't know, help with what exactly science behind it, the reproductive part or the experience like open ended question there.
Speaker 3: So take it, take it understanding. And this was a joke I heard very recently. The young rooster is walk through the barnhard barn.
Speaker 1: He's walking through the barnhard.
Speaker 3: Perhaps he is, and well done.
Speaker 1: There's the expression Freudian slip.
Speaker 3: Perhaps there it was.
Speaker 1: But he's doing jazz.
Speaker 3: Scat singing right nice. There's no hens around him. He's not a Jonas rooster. But then the older rooster comes in the barn. Now he's got all these hens. He's got it going on hen wise because and the young rooster says to him, well, what's your secret?
Speaker 1: Says you got to sing the standards. That's what the rooster says, hit like satn doll world on a string.
Speaker 3: I get a kick out of you. That's how that's how you get your hens. So that's I'm of a certain age. That sort of Frank Sinatra style stuff can be very effective. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You make me feel so young, that's it.
Speaker 3: You make me feel A song to be sung, A wonderful fling to be flung. That is a freaking lyric.
Speaker 1: It's a fantastic song that every morning when you.
Speaker 3: Have what music do you guys listen to to get reed besides your own?
Speaker 1: I play that song? Oh? Is that why? It popped into your head? And I was just yeah, kind of is there? You mean to be reed in the bedroom? Or no playlist? I can't hear you. I've got a playlist. What's your playlist? A sex time playlist? Yeah, for sex time play Yeah, what's on that? It's all her favorite music? How many kids do you have? Your two?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Five more? Yeah, all of her favorite music. You said that her favorite band is D n C. So you're on there. I'm on your sex playlist. No, that was not going to happen. It's like Michael Bubl It's like that kind of stuff. Yeah, that kind of stuff. See, he gets it. It's the standards, the standards. The older rooster of the roosters, we have more fan questions. This one's from Laura.
Speaker 2: She says, Bill, I have to imagine your brain must be constantly working.
Speaker 3: Yes, such a fact, ever.
Speaker 2: Actually quiet or you always analyze in questioning and trying to solve something in the background.
Speaker 3: Answer is absolutely without question sort of, Yeah, I'm always thinking about something. I'll tell you what I'm not thinking about much is riding a bike. When I'm riding, I spent a lot of time on blesses. Yeah, but I'm not thinking about laughing well. And also for me as a kid, you could just travel so far on a bike compared to walking or running. It's amazing. And these god, these modern racers are going thirty five forty miles an hour all day anyway. So most of the time my mind is going. I am not hipped anybody who says the mind isn't going. And speaking of code breaking and my mother, yes, one of the people in charge was Bill Friedman, and he encouraged all the code breakers crypt analysts to stop once in a while because you're the back of your mind is still working the problem. And I'll bet you guys as songwriters, right, I'm gonna I'm gonna name drop actually because we're working on some music here and we were I was walking outside working on something in the back of my mind, as you said, taking a break, and ran into John Mayer outside. Oh wow, I was just like working the problem, like thinking about the music, and he's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do that. There's a bathroom that if you go to that bathroom you always figure out the second verse in the building, and that's where it is in this building. In this building.
Speaker 3: Wow, you have to go.
Speaker 1: Now or no, I'm good right now. You already did that. One last question for you from Jordan Science Guy was on TV today. What's something you've learned to just or discovered since the show has ended that you'd love to do an episode.
Speaker 3: On genetically modified organisms? Since you asked crops, I would do more on that.
Speaker 1: We'll see another season of Bill Night. Well, I saw Telly you.
Speaker 3: We always have a project. We always have a big so we use in my family we use a verb to Bill Friedman the way, so the show would be called Bill's House and I would be in my house and then kids would come over, Oh hi Bill, Hi kids. Well today everything on the kitchen counter is about thermidynamics.
Speaker 1: What are the chances?
Speaker 3: And then look we go over here to the garage. This is about thermidamics. Wow, who knew the garden thermidadamics for example. So this is a project that we my writing buddies and I are working on. And then I asked, how I'm doing another book. We're always doing a book. So have you guys ever visited Astronomy Picture of the Day. It's a website, a todd we call it. So it's a NASA are these two astronomers that publish what they feel is a cool astronomy picture every day? And every few years NASA publishes a book of the pictures cool Wow. And Corey Pallaguy I've written with for a minute years. He and I are doing the next one, and it's all we're almost done. It's almost done. So that'll come out next spring on Earth Day, and so it'll be probably one hundred and eight astronomy pictures of the day that we think are especially compelling, with our own brilliant, insightful comments about each picture.
Speaker 1: Love that, so it's cool.
Speaker 3: Everybody loves astronomy. I was talking to my people, my family some of the first time I saw the moon through a telescope. Do you remember that.
Speaker 1: I remember the first time I saw the moon the telescope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And do you remember the first time you saw Saturn through a telescope?
Speaker 1: I didn't get that far. You will, everybody.
Speaker 3: When you see Saturn through a telescope, it just doesn't look real. It's just you're joking me.
Speaker 1: It's not. It just looks like there's like it doesn't what you say, He goes, it's well, it's not. Yeah, it's not real. It's not round.
Speaker 3: And so people say, you know, you'll you guys, you'll be there. You'll be at some star party.
Speaker 1: Please invite us to your next star party. I want to go to a star party. One more plug.
Speaker 3: For the Planetary Society. Check us out at planetary dot org, world's largest independent space interest organization advancing the scientific exploration of space so that people everywhere will know the Cosmos in our place within at elevator, doors closed, it's time to wrap this podcast right. Check us out at planetary dot org.
Speaker 1: We have star parties.
Speaker 2: I love a star party. Bill and you are the best. Thank you so much for being on the pod.
Speaker 1: Thank you for our childhood and many others that listen and watch our podcast. We're going to leave you with this watching this video and viewers at home. This is the video of that blew my mind when I was a huge fan of the show. Obviously still am, but this video I wanted to recreate but I could never find it. But now be it based on the internet. That's Matthew and this is my favorite at home experiments on the show Fifty Employees. It's a good one. Vinegar and add a little bit of baking server.
Speaker 3: That fizzing is carbon dioxide gas coming off.
Speaker 1: Even though it's invisible, you can still pour it, just like you pour water or milk. This bloom in my mind. It gets me every time. You guys, he's not pouring the liquid, he's pouring the gas. Look at that woo. Gas is heavier than the air, and the bake on this end goes down.
Speaker 3: FA.
Speaker 1: Thank you the passion, beauty.
Speaker 3: Enjoy you guys, the PB and J. You don't have to take Matthew's word for it or my word for it. You can do it yourself. Pour carbon oxide gas. And I like to remind people that in the US Constitution, now available in paperback, Article one, Section eight, Clause eight, Congress shall promote the progress of science and useful arts. Science is how the United States got to where it is. Everybody in the world use This is the world word. Okay, everybody respects NASA, everybody respects the scientific achievements of the United States. A lot of other people have done wonderful things, but this idea is remarkable. We are living at a remarkable time. Everybody. Please vote, vote, vote.
Speaker 1: Thanks you guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, you guys, this is so cool.