Speaker 1: Our weekly look around of what's going on. We got a great show today for you. The women's National Championship game. We'll talk about that. We'll talk about the star power in the women's college game. The NBA is wrapping up, only a week left. We'll talk about some awards and who we like heading into the playoffs. Also touch on Jack's birthday party this weekend and man, we're going to Colorado next week and a lot of stuff going on. Man, So it makes you tune in. Unplugged starts now. Jack, you're in a light. Man, You're here. Hell of a weekend.
Speaker 2: I don't want to leave here, tell you that, especially being here live with this view and it's beautiful weather on the West side.
Speaker 3: Man, getting close and closer than moving out here. Bro.
Speaker 1: So we had your birthday this weekend. We started over here with the birthday dinner Friday night and then Saturday, Stack Shelby was in the building. Can you tell us what with the theme of your party was and how it went?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Picky, blinding Steam.
Speaker 2: It was a beautiful everybody understood the Assimon shout out to you and your wife. I appreciate y'all for the Friday we started off with a beautiful dinner here. The chef had everything and every meat you can name, lobster, stay, everything we had.
Speaker 3: We had a great time.
Speaker 2: Then we had the party Saturday night, shout out and stand up and putting together at the Oldish Irish pub in la I didn't know that was yeah, yeah, shout out tom Bergen's. We had a great time and it was. It was great, man, the whole all the smoke staff was there, family and friends.
Speaker 3: Piky Blinded Sting was a movie.
Speaker 1: Well, man, I'm glad the birthday went well. Officially, Happy Birthday forty six. You did it in style. We all had a blast. Everybody, like you said, everybody was dressed.
Speaker 3: To the tea. Man, it was. It was good.
Speaker 1: Although I'm not gonna lie, I mean not that I almost didn't make it, but this was the first time in probably fifteen years, brother, I took a nap to go out, because every time I took a nap to go out, I don't end up going out. But I got my ass up and we came through and it was even. You got turn out too.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Shout out turn call in a suit back to businessman. We're nominated for a webbye Best Sports Social. Yes, shout out the whole crew, the whole roster, everyone who made that possible, Rachel Boogie, KG, Paul Rondo, Me and you Bil and Jilani, everyone behind the scenes. Man, it's you know, it's good to be recognized. It feels good. Let's get it feels good. Morning Combat YouTube is officially up and running on their Mortal Morning Combat YouTube page, part of the DraftKings Network. But Jack, I mean, we got morning Combat, we got boxing coming, we got music coming, we got football coming. We got a lot of stuff coming down the lines for all the Smoke productions in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for fight times and being back in the fight game. You know, we got some big things coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely looking forward to that tour coming up to We got a summer tour. We're gonna hit a few cities. So man, make sure you guys go down in the comments, yeah and shout out what city wants to come to.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna hit three or four cities this summer. You know, like Jack said, it's gonna be a movie. We're gonna bring people with us, gonna be a blast, man. So in the comments. Make sure you tell us what city all the smoke should come smoke at.
Speaker 2: And don't complain about us not coming to your city. If you don't put it in the comments, Come on now, talk to him, Jack.
Speaker 1: I would have to say women's basketball is as big as it's ever been or as hot as it's ever been right now, fresh off of national championship, Shout out your favorite coach of all time in person. Don Staley and her South Carolina Ladies talked to us about I only caught the light the last six minutes of the fourth quarter because we had practice yesterday, but I was trying to watch it on my phone. But what do you think about the game?
Speaker 3: Shout out to him for playing a great game.
Speaker 2: I think they did a great job of capitalizing on what they did wrong last year and semi finals to lose the game. But people was wondering why the game was so emotional for them, and me being a fan and being tuned in, I understand why. One that was a big letdown for Don slating them because they was undefeated at that point last year when they lost the hour, so that hurt and they She faced a lot of flak behind that saying they should have won this year even with Raven. Last year she was getting waved off by Kaitlyn saying she couldn't shoot. It was just disregarding her on the court. This year, she came out and guarded Kaitlyn didn't score in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: Raven.
Speaker 2: He got a lot of flak from getting waved off and not taking a shot and losing the game and sod it done. So the Witness game this year was special for them, especially for the whole team, and I'm glad they got it done. But shout out to Kaylyn clarok and shot out to Don stated too. I want to say this, to be at your highest moment, when people recognize you, at your highest moment, to address somebody else and give them their propacy the way she addressed Kaylyn while she was giving her trophy and saying what Kaylyn did for women's basketball. I think that was the ultimate thing and the ultimate ultimate thing to show the character of Don Staley. Bro It was a beautiful day all the way around. Even though Kaitlyn low lost, she got all her flowers. She just a very classy move. Shout out Don Staley, She's an elite company. One of a handful of men or women's coaches in the Division one era to have three national titles, Jack, I want to touch on something outside of that, and really what the star power of this tournament, from the Caitlin Clarks to the Angel Reeses to who am I missing?
Speaker 3: Ju Ju?
Speaker 1: The girl Page Becker's the big girl from Stanford. I like, what's her name?
Speaker 3: Remember her name?
Speaker 1: Brink. They really put women's basketball back on the map. So it was funny because during this run, I mean, I just felt there was so much negative energy by the outside world, by the media, some former athletes, not former athletes, but just having a real issue with the way these women got down. Whether it was shit talking, whether it was mannerisms, whether it was what they did off the court when they're not playing basketball. It was just a lot of negative energy and I didn't really like it. I think it took away from what these women are actually doing on the floor.
Speaker 2: Negativity and domaining people has become, has become attractive in his day and time, so unfortunate. And for me, I became a big fan and I applaud the women because I like the competition.
Speaker 3: I like to see the way the game have grown and if the people.
Speaker 2: Who are who are feeling like like these people want to succeed are what they're doing is not great in their eyes. I don't think it's not important to them because it's all about those women succeeding and what they want to do. They're succeeding in basketball, they're succeeding off the court when they should get to college. Bro making money, you know what I'm saying. So I love it, Bro. I got daughters and to see women to thrive and what was a men's sport for so long, I love to see it.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: The Iowa Yukon semi final game broke records fourteen point two on average viewers throughout that game. That's more than the World Series last year, more than the NBA Finals last year, more than the Daytona five hundred since twenty thirteen, every Masters since twenty thirteen. I mean, it's just it's a beautiful thing for women's basketball. My question, does this energy translate over to the wnbas.
Speaker 3: And this year? I hope, I mean I definitely hope.
Speaker 2: So I think you know the biggest thing about what's what's coming out is even if she don't take it serious, just the fact that somebody's offering Kitten with the Big Three five million dollars, it's a lot of parlay and a lot of things she could do from that when she's getting offered that, and she won't make that in the WNBA. So other players, other women are gonna start looking at that, and there's gonna be other companies and other opportunities. That's giving these players, even overseas, better opportunities to make more money, you know, because he's gonna have some players Matt that don't want that, wasn't coming to play basketball and make the money, don't want to be famous, don't care about the w BNBA. They care about their families. That's how we was coming up. We was worried about getting the dollar first. So if it's an opportunity for a lady that's playing in college basketball and she can go overseas and make five to ten million, we might not see him in the NBA.
Speaker 3: So I hope this is waking the NBA up.
Speaker 2: NBA, Yeah, like I mean WNBWNBA up to see how importland girls women like Kaitlyn is for basketball.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. You got to give them what they work now and stop making them.
Speaker 1: Wake star power in college this year, and obviously the WNBA has been, you know, steadily increasing its viewership and awareness around sports. So hopefully I'm hoping these young group of stars can can continue to translate into the w NBA continue to grow that game. Something hot that came across the ticker last night was coach cal officially the new head coach of Arkansas. He can getting five year deal ending a fifteen year roma Kentucky where he kind of the face of the one and done era.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: There's a ton of guy, you know, Boogie, somewhat friend of the program, John Wall, the ads, you know, a handful of guys that are leaving this year. Unfortunately won only one championship, but really did a lot for college basketball. And obviously, you know, one of the main faces of Kentucky basketball.
Speaker 2: I think I respect the most about him was how many kids that he got to the NBA. You know, he told those kids, look, I can't promise you multiple championships of four or five years in school, but I can promise you can get to the NBA. I'm gonna put you on that platform and all the pros. And he got big name pros. You know, I commend him for that. He may not have that many championships, but as a coach getting guys to their dream I think he's one of the best at it.
Speaker 1: The Tyson Chicken family, longtime friends are kind of what we're hearing are the people that are back in this salary and also throwing five million dollars towards NIL. So that's obviously going to put Arkansas right in the mix. Like you said, kids, whether it's going to the pros or going into college, kids are looking for money now and you know, with the Tyson family throwing that much money at NIL, should be real interesting to see what kind of recruits he's able to get. Book congratulations. I think it's a good good time. I mean, Kentucky gets a fresh start, cal gets a fresh start, and looking forward to see what both schools do coming up next year. The a's baseball news are going up I eighty to my hometown of Sacramento and we'll be playing there for the next three years as they finalize the deal. In Las Vegas, that's kind of the last stop right there, Jack, that that parking lot we used to go to that held the oracle and in the Oakland Coliseum. There's no more professional sports in Oakland.
Speaker 2: Yes, it sucks, man, I know, I just feel for the city. The city been dedicated to those teams for so long. It meant so much, brought so much revenue to those people that was working there.
Speaker 3: You know, the rent is every day.
Speaker 2: So hopefully they can find a way to kind of supplement that and give those people more jobs.
Speaker 3: But you know, I just feel sorry for the city open.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's ever been a city to lose three professional teams within what five six years. It's crazy, Like you said, the organic energy from that fan base even when the teams were shitty, because all those teams went through shitty phases, but there was still a lot of love out there. So we'll be back with the Big Three this year. First game they're going out there, Yeah, first game dilections.
Speaker 3: That's dope.
Speaker 1: So you know, send it our love out to the Bay obviously our second home. One week left in the NBA season, seemed like the season is flown by. Let's touch on a few awards. The Big Ones. MVP Jokich's odds on Huge favor minus four thousand as the favorite to win. He's on a typical Yokis line. Twenty six, twelve and nine. Denver's tied for first with Minnesota in the Western Conference SGA thirty point six, rebounds, five assists. Okac was under five hundred last year. Now they're techley second in the West. We'll touch on that a little bit more. Luca Lucas getting hot at the right time. Thirty four to ten and nine, quer high in points, rebounds of three point shooting season high seventy three league high excuse me, seventy three over this last month, the Maps are the hottest, one of the hottest teams in the game at fourteen and two. Kyrie, he just had a big game last night. And last but not least, Minnesota, who both the number one defense in the NBA, tied for first in the West, and man is on his way to being a superstar. Twenty six, five and five, first fifty win season since ticket in four. So four great candidates right there. You know, you could probably obviously throw Jason Tatum in there and what he's been able to do this year with the Celtics, but it's really looking like that the MVP is gonna come out of the Western Conference. Out of those four guys right there. Who are you looking at it? Who youking? It's so close?
Speaker 2: I'm going with you know, I think Minnesota and Denver would be one of the two teams that end up number one. So if Denver wins, and Yogas definitely deserves it. But if Minnesota wins, I think I think a man deserves the MVP. If something crazy happens, well, okay, see he ends up in number one spot.
Speaker 3: I think Shot deserves it. So whoever wins up in the number one spot.
Speaker 2: With those three guys being so dominant this year and being such important players on their teams, I think whoever wins up in number one spot.
Speaker 3: They get the MVP.
Speaker 1: I love both those guys you mentioned, but I'm also looking at SGA and and how young that team is. There's no other star on that team. I mean there's young up and comings, but there's no other official star. This team was under five hundred last year, and this dude's been absolutely amazing and and doing it without saying a word, just his his clever uh Instagram handle. So I think it's a great run this year. And then obviously Luca hot his teams are you know, around that four five six space in the Western Conference right now. But guys are really playing good basketball and I'm definitely uh looking forward to the playoffs this year.
Speaker 3: Dallas.
Speaker 1: Dallas is gonna be scary Jack again hot at the right time. Luke and Kyrie really seemed like they're jelling. Kyrie's playing all the games, uh, performing like we know he could perform. He had a crazy game winner uh not too long ago with the left hand for the free throw line. This end of the season is going to be good, and I'm definitely looking for the playoffs. You gotta think that the play in situation is the Lakers, the Kings, the Warriors, and the Pelicans all solid, yeah, or you know, the Kings and Pelicans younger. But then you know kind of the changing of the guard with if Golden State ends up playing, you know, the Lakers in that playing situation. So a lot of excitement coming up over the next month in the NBA. We're definitely looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Moving on to the Defensive Player of the Year, Wemby and go Bear the Battle of the Frenchman. Go Beart's favored minus three thousand, Wemby is plus one thousand. Let's take a look at their stats, Wemby at three and a half blocks a game. Over the last month, he's been averaging four blocks a game to go with the one point three steals and eleven rebounds per game. Go Bear two and a half blocks a game, point six steals and twelve rebounds a game, and he's the anchor of the number one defense. Last week, Draymond Green said he changes his stance. He says Wemby should win the Defensive Player of the Year with what he's doing defensively. I don't know what lab they created him in. He's been absolutely incredible, Jack, and you're big on that. You know, you feel like, you know, obviously he's been doing his job. They're just a young team. It's not very good. But what are your thoughts on the defensive battle for those two guys right there?
Speaker 2: I honestly feel like if Wemby was on a better team man, like you said, I think he'll be up for the m v P.
Speaker 3: And Defensive Player the Year. You know what I mean, He's defensive played a year.
Speaker 2: For the way he's playing, carrying the team offensively and being able to do that defensively. Go Where's is solely respected to play defensive block shot. He's not expected to do anything on the offensive end, so and it is a defensive player.
Speaker 3: With year Wald Gobert does. Gobart does his job to a t.
Speaker 2: But I'm going with a young fella man able to do that at a young age, his first year man, I think it hands down, he should get it.
Speaker 1: Wenby's numbers across the border better. It's just a different styles of teams. You know, if go Beart does this, when it does win this, he puts him in elite elite defensive Stanleys will be his fourth defensive player of the year. You know, only person in that category is Ben Wallace and to Kim Bavin Tumbo. You know, so you got to put him if he wins one more in his career. I mean, you got to talk about him as one of the greatest defensive centers of all time. And there's some people that are standing around us that don't really like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean the numbers don't lie, right. I mean, you can you can not like him as a person. You can not like his game or how that he's not an aggressive type of player, but he gets the job done and what he's paid to do.
Speaker 3: And like I said numbers don't lie.
Speaker 1: Coach of the Year Mark Dinnegel, excuse me if I mispronounced his last name over there, okay see Chris Finch Minnesota, Jamal Mosley in Orlando. They've had a huge turnaround. And then obviously Missoula. Missoula was someone that you know, took a lot of flak last year during the playoff because a lot of people said he was out coached. Boston's done absolutely everything they can do this year, a best record in the league, playing great basketball, and probably I wonder who odds on favorite, but I'd probably say that, you know, they're right there with Denver as a odds on favor to win a championship. But out of those four or five coaches, Jack, who do you like the most?
Speaker 2: I would go Minnesota coach, considering that, you know, another fifty one season that they had since two thousand and four and the way they playing, man, that one of the best teams in the league. And uh, I don't think they've been at the top of the West like this in a while, so, you know, consistently, So I like him. But what okay see coach is doing with those young guys. You know, he has to be in a conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean obviously to Jamal Mosley, you know, someone who's kind of helped return around, you know, with that young core, the Orlando Magic. And then you know Missoula has his team with the best record in the league. But I'd probably go with the Okay se coach again just you know, obviously one superstar and a bunch of young talent that is you know, bought in and shuck playing together and it's fun to watch and they're definitely they definitely have next uh next up. Most improved Player. Maxi is the favorite, followed by Kobe White and Jalen Williams, one of those young stars up and coming stars over at Okay, see out of those three guys, Jack, who you relevant?
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna lie, it's hard. Maxi has been doing this for a couple of years now. That Jaden Williams kid Okay, see nice. He even came out of nowhere bro for just considering that he should have been won award or something by now you know what I'm saying. I'm going with Maxie, Maxi, Maxican the last couple.
Speaker 1: Of years, agreed, I think you know it was it was it was a blessing in disguise for Okay or for Philly to lose Harden because they gave Maxi a real chance to kind of blossom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maxi's been that one consistent for Philly, you know, averaging nearly twenty six points a game, six assists for rebounds. You know, Embiid has been out a lot of the season, So I definitely think it's time for Maxi to step up and get that most improved six man. Uh tight race between Malik Monk and Nas Reed per DraftKings, they say those guys are odds on favorite, but I also like Norman Powell with the Clippers and what Bobby Ports has been able to do out there with the Bucks. Out of those four guys right there, Jack, who you like?
Speaker 2: I will go with Monk, but he's hurt and uh nas Red coach him at the oposer game. He had a tough start to his career and now he's with Minnesota at the top of the West and he's playing solid minutes off the bench.
Speaker 3: I gotta go with na I'm not mad.
Speaker 1: Nazrie was my favorite free agent coming into this season, and so they did a great job by resigning him. But I'm gonna be a homer here. Even though you know, Milik Monk just went down last week. I think he's had a hell of a season. Man, He's raised his number, he raises play, he's a he's a difference maker. The whole game shifts when Malik Monk comes on the floor. So I'm gonna go with Malik Monk in hopes for his first six Man.
Speaker 3: Of the Year award.
Speaker 1: Now, fan questions, Jack, I'll let you start it off.
Speaker 3: I fuego three six nine.
Speaker 2: If Adam Silva asks you for advice on the direction of the NBA over the next five years, what would you say.
Speaker 1: Man, we got to bring some defense back in the game. I think we have to find a way to, you know, obviously keep scoring, but allow these guys to play defense, because I think it's it's getting to the point where it's you know, I mean, the playoffs they obviously picked the defense up, but during the season it's just a it's it's.
Speaker 3: Brother in law.
Speaker 1: They call brother in law defense.
Speaker 3: You score, I score.
Speaker 1: How they used to call this, So I think that would be my only thing is is work defense back in the game, Because I think the games as big as it's ever been, is continuing to grow. These young superstars are very talented, and I would just like to see defense in a little bit more, you know, competitiveness, and I think that comes from the defensive side. Majo Zato, name one moment you can go back to and relive in your career. Oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I would love to go back and relived the Golden State days. That was the best days of my career. We played well, we had a great time, and I got bonds for that may forever during that time. So I would go back to Golden State days.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go back there with you. Then, Jack, we travel back again, and I'm go ahead and going back there with you. I mean, just the way we moved, man, we moved. We moved as one on and off the court.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We got you at the end of January, and it didn't click on the court instantly, but off the court it clicks. I knew it was only a matter of time before on the court it clicked, and we got on a crazy run to even make the player us. But again, I think the friendships in the brotherhood we developed, you know, over that time was was was second to none man, So, yeah, definitely, we believe. And the city is so dope. Man, they was really fucking with us back then.
Speaker 2: We gotta hold them down even more announced. We gotta go back more often for real. At Brookside Bird, At this hotel you stayed at as a NBA player, Matt.
Speaker 1: I'd probably say the hotel in okac because they say it's haunted. I never had no issues there, But they say the hotel at okay See is haunted. So I mean outside of that, I mean we were blessed. I mean we're five stars.
Speaker 3: I got one for you.
Speaker 2: Memphis, the Old Peabody, it was the old hotel. It's actually the hotel where they shot the movie Bernie MC and Samuel Jackson sol Men. So men, they actually shot a lot of that in that hotel. But the duck remember they have the ducks. Yeah, the ducks walk out in this old hotel. But it's super haunted.
Speaker 1: Now outside, there's a maybe two or three four places that had hotels that are, but most of the time it's five star soft pedal service.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: N k Iroff, If you're going to add a current or former NBA player to the show, who would it be?
Speaker 2: Something like a Hall of Famer, somebody you know who's won awards, who's way more credible than us, you know, who has multiple rings, you know, somebody like you know, I don't know, somebody likes Jordan and somebody.
Speaker 3: They gotta be somebody like.
Speaker 2: That, because anybody else that come up here it ain't gonna work. You gotta be somebody bigger than us, the biggest.
Speaker 1: I would say Iverson, Oh, that would be dope. I would say, bring Chuck on. You know, he ain't got a ring, but you know everything he did and he's one of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's big, bro.
Speaker 1: So I probably say at Alan Iverson to.
Speaker 3: Ir the tank, how does it feel to be finally understood?
Speaker 1: It's kind of a loaded question. I think for both of us, there's been huge misconceptions about who we are as as as people, as men, as teammates. You know, both of us are very well respected by our teammates and our peers, but the media may have a certain taste in their mouth or ideal of who they think we are. But I think obviously post career, we both you know, started doing media, which was unexpected for both of us, and then ended up building this show and really got a chance to show I think who we are as people, and you know what kind of levels and vibes we're coming with. So but to be honest with you, man, it's never really it's never really mattered to me whether I was understood or not, because I feel like the people that don't take the time to get to know me, I don't really give a fuck what they say. You know, I care about my circle and my friends and family that are really close to me and what they care. And I know there's a lot of love there. So it's cool to be understood, I guess, but it's never really mattered to me.
Speaker 3: Ditto.
Speaker 1: Well, Jack man, I'm glad you're out here in sunny La. Yeah, you're taking in this weather. We got a big one coming up this week our brother Buster Rhymes Bust the Bus, so you see, if you're working out good, make sure you check that out. That drops Thursday one ATSP YouTube and the DraftKings Network. Also, we're headed to Colorado next week prime time. We go see Dion and then also go to Jake Plumber, former NFL quarterback, has an amazing mushroom farm out there, So me and Jack are gonna go get dedicated elevated shroomy.
Speaker 2: A lot of health benefits behind the mushroom game, so we want to learn a lot about it.
Speaker 1: Christina said, they're cooking us what kind of mushroom lion Main's Taco brain food. So we will be elevated mentally and physically next week in Colorado. Man, So appreciate you guys tuning in. Make sure you stay tuned for all the great ship that all the Smoke Productions is doing. Man, we're coming boxing, MMA, football, music, culture, oh nine.
Speaker 3: See y'all next week from Cash at That Pedro