Speaker 1: Hey there, Fanto's welcome back to a brand new episode of How Rude Tannerito's. Throughout the past four seasons of Full House, we have found ourselves paying close attention to the props that are being used, like the cold fried chicken. Prop masters are the ones who handle anything in actor touches or interacts with which is why we're very excited for today's guest. Steve Girard was the assistant prop manager on Fuller House, so he's going to give us the inside scoop on everything the job entails and maybe some fun little behind the scenes stories from his time on Fuller Hmmm, please welcome Steve.
Speaker 2: This is so exciting.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: Oh. I was so excited that you were willing to come on here and regale us with all your stories. Three of us, we're very excited that you're here.
Speaker 2: We'll be a good editor because need to add all the doll out of.
Speaker 1: This, no, please, So we are we are delighted.
Speaker 4: We are so excited to see Yeah, we like, first of all, we just keep like realizing all of like the prop stuff that has been going on in you know, full House whatever.
Speaker 5: So we've been focusing on that and I was like, we need to have Steve, like Steve would be amazing, and so yeah, this was this was really fun.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thanks, I really appreciate it. I was kind of always secret secretly hoping you would ask me. But I figured because I've been listening to but I figured it wouldn't be until you got to the full house stuff, right. So I was like, I got years still, I got plenty of time.
Speaker 1: We can't wait that long.
Speaker 3: No, we had to talk to you now, right, there's no time to wait.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll talk to you anytime. You know that I love you both.
Speaker 3: I love you too.
Speaker 1: So great to see her face because I saw you for three seasons on that Girl Leyle. We worked together on that show. We were masked up all the time except for me when I was at camera. But I haven't seen your face five years.
Speaker 2: Right, to talk about a different show for a second. After the run, Gabby had a thing. She was doing a comedy bit, huh, And so I went to see her. And this was after the masks were over, and I'm just sitting in the lobby and her mom walks by me and I don't recognize your mom? Did don't recognize me? I don't recognize them. It was crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, see that you know what, we were just having this conversation. But it had to do with how we just don't remember anything anymore because the brain fog is sitting in. But now I'm just gonna be like, oh it was the masks five.
Speaker 3: Years later, but oh I didn't. It's yeah, I know the eyes, totally know the eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, and I actually really have a touch that's brain the face blindness thing. Oh yeah, So for me, it's also helpful. I've had Okay, I've had discussions with people that I thought I was talking to in the day before. So I'll go, so remember the thing yesterday we're talking about and somebody completely different, Oh.
Speaker 3: Wow than that, And I don't have face blindness. That's that's the problem, exactly.
Speaker 1: A conversation. We'll just keep talking about the same topics in a loop forgetting.
Speaker 5: That as you age, right, is you just sort of circle around the same three or four things remember, go on the head and okay, go back to your home. So see, we want to start like at the beginning. Okay, uh, when when did you first start working in the industry, and.
Speaker 3: Like did you go to school?
Speaker 1: For it.
Speaker 5: Was it one of those like somebody needed help in the art department.
Speaker 2: You were like, I sure, I am third generation Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I did not know this. See this is why I love these interviews.
Speaker 5: We cind out so much fascinating step Oh my god, third generation Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. So my grandfather and my father were both in the Labor Union.
Speaker 3: The union.
Speaker 2: My dad also did costume me so and it's kind of both of these. So when I started, they were taking people off the streets in the business. And my dad called me up one day and said, being Universal Studios, but work boots and a hammer, You're going to be a laborer. Okay, But actually I started before that. When I was sixteen, I worked at Universal Tour okay.
Speaker 3: Wood Oh yes, did you like were you miserable in the suits? Or was that a fun job?
Speaker 2: It was hot and heavy and horrible and loved it. The kids just mad arts. You know about the old timer thing. You know, those kids today today doesn't know how hard it was back in. My dad right, because the woody head was huge and it was made out of this thick rubber stuff. Oh, I weighed like twenty pounds.
Speaker 1: It was not breathable material.
Speaker 3: I assume you're no.
Speaker 2: It was it was like a velvet kind of a thing. And then also for some reason, they wanted wood to be fat, so they have like a fat suit and a thing. And but like I said, you know you oh and also you had to look out of the mouth and it was like that yeah right, but you know some of the girl looks up and goes, I love you Woody, and it just it was the greatest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the great.
Speaker 5: What fun what I like, what a fun sort of introduction to the business.
Speaker 3: Though, And I also heard that those characters.
Speaker 5: Is really fun because you you it's it's a total cost. Nobody knows you can be silly and you could, you know, be totally over the top, and it's you get to fully embrace being someone else.
Speaker 2: Right, nobody knows. But I knew my way around studios anyway, because I'm going back and forth about where was gonna let this conversation, but I'll just say it now. So my dad, when I was a kid, worked for Jerry Lewis. Okay, back when Jerry Lewis was like he was making the nutty Professor and stuff like that, like the yeah, yeah, So for me, Paramount Studios was a playground growing up. Yeah, it was pretty good. Get that. So so I was on sets, you know, and and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so cool.
Speaker 1: Were you immediately drawn to the props or did you kind of play around and do different roles.
Speaker 2: I fell into that. You know, I was a laborer for a couple of years, and and then those are still the days of the studio system. So you'd work in a studio and they would fight different things, and so the prop department needed some guys, and.
Speaker 5: You kind of would get moved around within the little Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: And and I fell into that, and that's the one that works best for my head.
Speaker 3: Mm.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm kind of a person that likes to go from one thing to another thing. I'm one of those three inches deep a mile wide kind of people, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I relate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, so I liked that the idea of figuring something out and moving on to something else and figuring something else out kind of a thing or even going from show to show.
Speaker 5: Right, you know, especially on a sitcom because every like every week, I always say, it's like the ninth routine of you know, you're kind of your your schedule, but every week is some new problem to solve, some new thing to do. Like it, It keeps you having to think constantly because there you don't kind of get settled in, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and it's like the best of both worlds that way. M hm. You know you have the surety of a schedule, but there's new things to you know, show the objects.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly, new things to pique my attention.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you started on Home improvement right, well, not started on but like you you didn't considerable amount of improvement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was a blast, It was. It was great fun. It speaking of instant experts. So you know some of the best acting happens behind camera. Very first show on Home Improvement, and I was the whole show revolved around Tim pat dancing at the end to a jukebox. All right, they put a corner in the jukebox. It's their song, the jukebox. You see it light up and play works great all week long, works great all day blocking day. Right, we get in front of the audience, it starts buzzing. Pristadi says Steve, can you fix it?
Speaker 1: No pressure?
Speaker 2: And I say, yeah, absolutely, Thinking is the jukebox is thirty feet away. I've got thirty feet to figure out how to make this thing work.
Speaker 3: You just hit it on top of A couple of times, I started pulling.
Speaker 2: Wires just because it had to light up. It had to stay lit up and work. We couldn't make the sound wow. So it's pulling wires and finally ended up working. But that's that's the kind of thing that happens. So yeah, Home Improvement seven years.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a blast. It was great fun.
Speaker 5: Oh that's so I went to the set of Home Improvement a couple of times. I was friends with zach Ty Bryan. Yeah, he and I were friends because we're about the same age, I believe, even officially. He was kind of like my little boyfriend, like my little industry boyfriend, which entailed like going trick or treating at his house, I think, but he did. He came to full House one time, and I had gone to Home Improvement a couple of times, maybe just one time, but anyway, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was on set. We crossed paths, and it was meant to be.
Speaker 5: Just the thing I remember about Zach that all that was that one time he was screwing around in my mom's car and he opened the door while she was driving like down Culver Boulevard or something, and.
Speaker 3: She freaked out. She was just like, no, absolutely not. I thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Not so much.
Speaker 2: He was great, you know, those those kids were great on that show, and actually everybody was. You know, Tim, it was really interesting. Tim, Well, and you were on the set a couple of times, so you would know whenever those one of those inevitable technical glitches, we'dn't have to wait for ten minutes. He would take that ten minutes and and entertain the crew. It was great. It was great.
Speaker 5: When Bob would we'd have something like that and Bob would go grab the mic and exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's a lot of parallels the two shows. I would say, we're most like a family.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 2: His Home Improvement and floorhouse and you guys, it was it was it was family. It was jump in ahead. I'm sorry, So you two you know all right? So, so I was in on only did the last two seasons, right of yeah, I did the last two seasons. The other day, I know it felt like for everyone that guy. So I came into a situation where you guys did full House for what nine years, and you'd already in three years of Fuller House with a lot of the people from that show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I come in and it's the first day of school at a new school, right, and I get it to you two, We're so welcoming to me and made me feel so at home and so comfortable. I will always always remember you for that, really, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's we we love adding to our full Fuller House family, you know, it's we we love.
Speaker 5: We've picked up so many new amazing in that crew on Fuller House and you're definitely in there. But you know, it is it's intimidating, and I can't imagine. I mean, I've heard horror stories from people on set. Friend of mine who's a set dresser, who had some horrific incidents with certain actors who are just not very kind and who you know, treat anyone below the line like you know, they are just there to serve them, uh, And I just I don't I don't ever, I don't ever understand that mentality in this business, Like it's so much fun to meet and create with other people, like and nobody wants to be doing something when they're being yelled at fun.
Speaker 2: No, no, you know, I've been that same dance. It sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they suck.
Speaker 2: And what they don't realize is we're here to make you look good, right right, yeah, and we want to make you look good.
Speaker 3: That's what we want to do, right yeah. Yeah, it's it's a it's a team sport, you know, definitely a team sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But now do you do you do any like single camp stuff? More dramatic stuff.
Speaker 2: I did, but I got too old for it, so I did things like us, things like and Lacey. That's why before you guys time.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I remember Cagne and Lacey and my mom loved that show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you know, I did some. I did some movies too, like I did a Dennis Hopper movie and and stuff like that. So it's a bunch of single camera stuff. The last single camera I did was Shameless, And I did like a month on the prop crew with old friends of mine prop guys, and after a month, I just said, I don't know how you guys do it anymore. I'm going back to my sit joms, right, I'm you know, but but also what happens. I'm a theater guy and and Andrews and and what we're doing putting on a play every week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, put a week.
Speaker 2: I don't tell you if she told you. I tried to get her into one of our plays.
Speaker 1: I was very close. I did the table I did the table read, but I couldn't commit to the to drive it into La Forever, you know. I just I couldn't commit at the time, but would have.
Speaker 3: Been amazing, understand completely, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, But that is a goal some day. I want you to direct me someday.
Speaker 3: Let's yes, I love what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, let's both of us. Let's all get it.
Speaker 5: Let's I mean, it is like I you know, that combination of the live show and the ability to screw up and try something again is kind of it is the best of both worlds. Yeah, you know, it's and it is such a fun putting on a play every week.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what you're doing, you know. And it's interesting because when I first started directing, I I I didn't go any school forward anything like that. I just kind of fell into it. My whole life seems like it's I just kind of fell into stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: And I remember the first day of rehearsal, thinking I don't know what to say to these people. I have no idea what to say to these people, and then it all just kind of came right, and I realized it was from being on sitcom stages forever watching the greatest directors ever, because I did a season of Alice also great show. Yeah, and it was and that was the Isla Lucy people. Yeah, so you know, I was watching them direct the shows and put the shows on like that, and the same thing. Home Improvement was great directors, you know, and it was just yeah, so it just kind of all soaked in something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean I feel like that kind of for us too, with the writing and the directing. It was like, you don't necessary you know, you just sort of it's in there, like floating around, you know, the rhythm of a sitcom, you know, the you know, you just kind of know what it is.
Speaker 2: Mean, I'm gonna pump you guys up a little bit. You were talking about having having friends and you know, other shows stuff like that. So I've got friends on two different unnamed TV shows right now, and they're both network shows, and you know, and we do the same up shields and you know you're gonna watch the show to support your friends and hoping the show is good, right, And one of them was brutal. I could not watch five minutes of it, and the other one was better, but it like I kept like thinking like it's lost opportunities, lost opportunities. When you guys called me, I decided to watch my two seasons again just to refresh my memory. And when you're in the middle of the show, you know, I don't think you don't realize how good it is. Fuller House was a great show. It was a thousand times better than those two things. I just watched a thousand times better. And I'm not saying this to bump you up. I would say this to you guys faces. Yeah, if this camera was not on stuff like that, you know it was. It was great. It was great, and you too, were fantastic. Steve.
Speaker 1: You got to give yourself credit to because your kind, yes was so infectious, Like you had an endless amount of patience, which I imagine is a huge component of the job, as the actors move all the props right after you set them, right before the scene. But you always had a smile on your face or a joke to tell or a nice thing to say, and so we were just responding to that. You know that you were just oozing kindness and instant friends, instant friends with us.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yes, well, we bonded over something else, but that's you.
Speaker 1: Know, we did, Yes, Jody knows forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I was around for peak forever plaid ab days.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, well, well, speaking of you being on the Home improvement set, we were Andy and I were probably both in that same theater twenty times together.
Speaker 3: They can probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I could not know.
Speaker 2: I was a total plaid head.
Speaker 3: Oh, I couldn't get I remember it, I remember going with you. It was Yeah, it's so graice.
Speaker 1: I just I was telling Jody last week that I pulled out a bunch of boxes full of stuff and I found a lot of my forever plaid stuff, my jacket and like a framed picture of the four guys that they had autographed like all programs. It's just so cool, so cool. If they ever dow a reunion show, you and I are going, yeah, absolutely, Well, you know.
Speaker 2: We almost got him over to the stage, but it didn't work.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I know you that's right.
Speaker 3: I know we tried. You were trying.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, well that's the end of another story, I think. But you know that the other you guys made it easy for me as a prop guy. Really to say that, I'm shocked.
Speaker 5: No, I will say we were better than the than the guys, I know that for sure, and probably better than we knew.
Speaker 3: Where the living went back and we left it alone, and I just yeah, Bob David John would pick it up and it would go walking around.
Speaker 2: Well, you would never know. Yeah, it's it's the hell is it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Where'd he go?
Speaker 1: I just remember every time I would pick up a mug, the mug with the K on it, and take a drink, Steve would be instantly there with his little invisible light flashlight, turning it exactly because you know you can never you you knew you had that identic memory, so you knew exactly how the cup should be on the table.
Speaker 5: Well, wait, why don't we have Steve explain what the little secret magic light is. Yeah, he's not just flashing a flashlight on a thing.
Speaker 2: And yeah sure, so so yeah, your I like to tell people the hardest part of my day is remembering who gets the K mug? Who gets the s mug, you know, but so you know, if if the mug is on the kitchen counter there and you go to drink some coffee and then you maybe you walk up to the table and that sort of thing. If we do take two, the mug needs to start in exactly the same place and none of the exactly the same place. But which way is the handle facing? And so I had a ultra violet flashlight and ultraviolet marking pins and so the marketing that I make a little circle around the cup and also a little line where the handle was, and so you can't see it on camera, but then I did my little flashlight and then that's where it'd be.
Speaker 1: It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's brilliant. The same things.
Speaker 1: You don't know though, unless you're on a set witnessing it. Like people don't know these little tricks.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: I never I had never seen the little UV light trick until like, yeah, yeah, what's that? What are you doing? What's happening? Is there a secret message? Somebody read it an invisible ink? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like oh I should done that kind have been a good idea. Oh there you go a booger.
Speaker 1: Yes, with the cheerios or not the cheerios, the alphabets or whatever.
Speaker 2: It was. It was, Yes, that's so great.
Speaker 1: Now where do you get all these props?
Speaker 3: Do you buy them all?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: Is there a big like a warehouse somewhere like where do you? Where do you go to get all?
Speaker 2: So so, first of all, you know, I'm the on set prop guy. And then we had Jim Falkenstein, who just a great, great, great prop master.
Speaker 3: We're just talking about Jim and his tuxedo.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I've got to get you the book. Yes, the other of all of the people that he photo bombed.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yes, I love it. That's right, because he photo bombs everybody in the yellow text here. It's so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's hilarious and every single person he puts, my best friend great, think about it. It's it's hilarious. So but so he's the really the creative force, and he's the on that we read the script and he's you know, we've got some wacky prop again this week.
Speaker 3: He's always always a wacky prop on a on a sitcom. Yep, what do I need to make?
Speaker 2: That's yes, and lots of food and a lot of sort of thing, and so so he's the one. So there are warehouses that you can rent stuff from, like normal stuff, and then sometimes you buy stuff. You know, Amazon has become a prop master's best friend now, you know, used to be you have to like research stuff and try to find it, and now it's just and then also make things, you know, and make things and and then my job was more know where everything goes, get it there, get in your guys hands, stay the hell out of your way, lease set when you're you know, yeah, between takes and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: I forgot and also anticipation too. I'm sorry I forgot that you guys were in charge of the food. Oh can I forget that, like all of those sandwiching contests.
Speaker 3: Our actor treats. Yes, we'd be eating all of our little almond thin crackers and be like, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're so good to always ask us like, oh, do you have a flavor preference of whether it's a donut or what we were eating. You were always good to have any allergies, Do you need flavors?
Speaker 3: What do you want in the mug?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was very conscientious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cremer with your cool, Well, you.
Speaker 2: Guys gotta eat it. You know, it's like, let's give you something you like. Yeah, right, you know what the heck I mean the deal? Although I say you guys were good about the whole the fake eating, fake drinking a lot of times. Yeah, you know, you're like, it looks like I'm look looking, I'm drinking out of this and you're not drinking a damn right, I'm not ding by do Can we see that?
Speaker 1: Wake up?
Speaker 3: San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Mine.
Speaker 3: It's so cool.
Speaker 1: I love it. Did you te any props from Fuller House like the rest of us?
Speaker 3: Just just the one?
Speaker 2: I got two props we mentioned both shows. I've gone one of the original tool benches from Home Improvement and uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so cool. Okay, so you get props from the warehouse or from Amazon? How much lead time do you have, like, do does production give you a list of the props or do you have to read through the script and mark every time you see a prop?
Speaker 2: It's both, you know, Ron and Ron and John and and and uh Steve and Bark and Brian. Right. They were good about if there was some super wacky prop to give Jim lead time on that for a couple of weeks or a week or something like that.
Speaker 3: All I can ever think of is that Rube Goldberg machine.
Speaker 2: Poor Jim.
Speaker 3: Crap I thought about. That's the I use that as an example of like the hell that prop people have to go through, and they're like, hey, can you be an engineer this week and do this?
Speaker 2: Oh my lord, and he spent the entire weekend. I'm not sure he slept. It was. Oh that one was a hot I feel so bad for him that week. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he didn't even get the credit.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay?
Speaker 2: Dam it? Oh man?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you've got about maybe a week lead time and then when they rewrite the script, sometimes they'll change the props and then you guys just have to.
Speaker 2: Adjustst and you have to adjust on the fly, and that's what you do, you know, But it's only a big thing. They'll give you a week lead time on. You know, most of the stuff we don't find out about until we've read the script. And some shows it's the morning of there's a script, you know, it's the you know, just before the table read and uh, the provision suppress you mean first table read. Then I don't know what you guys do, have a mudpath or something for an hour and then we rehearse, right, and so in that time, I'm like pulling together what I can for AST to rehearsal that first day, to stand in for whatever we're going to really use, you know, because for me it's important. So my training was U hoging training, and her thing was all about the props.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know your hands.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it's so important to me to get something in your guys' hands immediately.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's true. It does make something feel like you're you know, when you're rocking around your house or doing something, chances are you've got something in your hand that's going from one place to another or that's you know, and it get you do feel awkward sometimes on care like where do I put my hands? You know, but like I have something or and it gives me business hands always have business.
Speaker 2: Your prop can do a lot of work for you. You know, you can do a lot of work for you. So you know, so it's always important to me to get get that stuff in your hands. Even it wasn't exactly the right thing, it was you're gonna have a thing.
Speaker 3: Here right right, yeah, because it does.
Speaker 5: I mean, I the one thing that's always different to is like going from sitcom to single cam when you don't really have a lot of the rehearsal time, and like getting on a single cam set and it's like, okay, you got on your lines and everything, but now here's gonna be the blocking. And then also you're gonna do it with this thing in your hand that you haven't done it before.
Speaker 3: Let's run it a couple of times.
Speaker 2: And then let's go.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, particularly on like those shorter you know, Hallmark movies or whatever, but props change everything.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I don't know on the Hallmark movies they're shooting all those digital now too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So my time on Shameless was you know, I hadn't done single cameras and since like Taggy and Lacy, so it was a twenty year So that used to always be film, right, you know, and in film it would be all right, we're gonna block it.
Speaker 3: Now, gonna light it for two hours, and so you know that's still a thing.
Speaker 2: They would rehearse it and it's like we're shooting now. Oh and so I was just like the third guy prop guy, you know, I'm like, okay, we're not breakfasteing next okay, fine, the reversion right now, all kind of start making breakfast. They complying, where's the food? Where's the food? God?
Speaker 3: Yeah, most of the time it takes.
Speaker 5: A little while before you're like, get to set, get to that, and then they're like, relight it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember your big cart, like your big black cart that you would wheel from set to set, and you always had like mints or something for us to What are some of your tricks for like staying organized? Do you line props up a certain way? Do you have a list, like what are your organizational I have lists.
Speaker 3: I have a.
Speaker 2: Uh so I use like a legal pad and each scene will be one page of legal pad over that, and then I'll try to organize the prompts on my cart per scene, okay, you know, and and put them in bankers boxes or whatever, depend on how much stuff you've got and that sort of thing. I'm also I was also good at like hiding stuff around the set, you know, so like if we had a bunch of stuff for the next thing that's gonna go up on the counter, there a bunch of food and stuff. A lot of them have been in the cabinets underneath.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of pressmart so smart yep, thank you.
Speaker 2: The best thing for that cart. My memory of the cart too, is is that on show night, I would perk the cart right outside the it's only always open door.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, I can picture, and now I was like, oh, it's it's right outside the living room.
Speaker 2: There, exactly right outside the living room there, And it was like and that was fun for me because because that's where you guys will huddle before the first thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So, so yeah, you always saw us being ridiculous doing something stupid off camera, then just walk right in the door.
Speaker 1: Now what happens when an actor takes the props from your cart and autographs them all by accident?
Speaker 2: Did that happen?
Speaker 1: I'm wearing I'm wearing.
Speaker 2: Do you have any more?
Speaker 3: I do I have?
Speaker 2: I have one?
Speaker 1: I have one that Jodi signed. It says how rude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she signed the signed T shirt. Yes, for those that don't know what Andrew is wearing and not only listening to this, and she is wearing a white T shirt that has my signature across the front of it. And we're gonna tell you why. Here, here we go. We've got alluded to this, but we need to hear I've alluded to it, but we now have We now have the source.
Speaker 2: So were you guys already in the middle of your prank war when this happened?
Speaker 1: This was started prank the start.
Speaker 3: I think this was the start of the prank war, right, did it started? No? We I think we had. I think the post its were first. I put you were taking a nap, and I covered your entire door in Uh.
Speaker 2: That came after, for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was after.
Speaker 2: Okay, So all right, So there's two things. One is is so if the people know, so when you're exiting through the always always open door when you go outside. Around to the right, I had a little prop table, so if an actor was had to come in with a prop, that's what the problem would be. Here's your purse, here's whatever. Then we all sat another table over by our prop room, which was down the bottom of the stairs back behind the set, which was right on the way to the stage. And Jim had a genius idea. Because you guys are always having to like sign program a program, Yeah, you had to sign stuff. So Jim would put all this stuff on that table and Mark and marking pans, and you guys just knew sign here to sign it. You sign us up on the way in. Ye.
Speaker 3: So if it's sitting there, gets something very rich for us every week exactly.
Speaker 2: It was just a normal thing. So one week we had it was on there. It was the run of of Jackson being the football player, right and so right, helmet on the prop table right outside the door.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nice shiny little prop. Just a nice football helmet, probably not a cheap one.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was beautiful. And on one take he comes in. I go and I look at it. They go, what's that on? There's something on his helmet? What the heck is it? Did? I get it dirty? And I get the helmet and it's got Jody's signature on it. Oh god.
Speaker 3: And then so did everything else on the table? I mean there was a foam finger, Yeah, yep, there was because someone said make sure you sign the stuff on the table right right. The first table I came across was that one. And you know, we would give props.
Speaker 5: Away, we would do stuff like that, you know, so I was like, oh, wow, we're giving a lot of wraps away this week.
Speaker 3: And I wondered why nobody else inside.
Speaker 2: Was like, what the hell? So you caught a lot of hell about it that day, well because it.
Speaker 3: Was right before run through. Yes, it was right before like network run through. So everyone's prop came in with my signature on it.
Speaker 2: It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: My memory of this is what Jody coming over to me with like a beat red face and I'm like, what's wrong with you? And She's like I signed all the props and I'm like, you did what? And I see Steve in my peripheral vision with like baby wipe trying to wipe the autograph off of the helmets.
Speaker 3: Sharp you no, less me on a brand new football helmet. Yeah, so man, it was I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if it was the next day of the next week. That's when you put all of your signatures on her door.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that is right, because you and Cam and Mel had come in and signed stuff.
Speaker 3: In my room. You guys had put I think you guys had.
Speaker 5: Signed things and put it in my put them in my room or put post its on top of things in my room that you guys had signed.
Speaker 3: So I was like, okay, okay, it's on. So you were taking a nap.
Speaker 5: One lunch and I was in my room and your door was closed, and I was like, I'm just gooding. So I signed a bazillion little post it notes and just covered your door in my signature and escalated things.
Speaker 2: So then I asked Andrew, you mind if I have a couple of these post its with their signature on it.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: And then for the rest of the run of Fuller House, Jody, the camera could never see it, and I was it on take three? Was it on take three? I would slip one of those things in, so like she had a book she had open, ye, you know, take three, sat.
Speaker 3: One of the posts, or I would pick up a mug and in the bottom of it would be my signature. And like we're in the middle of scenes. I'm like yeah, and I can.
Speaker 2: Just see you like you're seeing the scene. But you're like, Steve, you just.
Speaker 3: Like I got got, Yeah, I got got. But it really peaked when Andrea took it to an entirely new level and uh, I think, please explain, well, I.
Speaker 2: Think you yeah, I think you have read me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't durtn me with a good time. I take Frink course very seriously, and I was determined to win, so I wrangled Steve and Jim. I was like, Okay, I need your help with this. Oh and Kim and Mel too. Kim and Mel were instrumental in this. I asked Kim, I said, do you have a digital copy of Jody's signature, because Kim worked in production. And Kim's like, yeah, but why do you need it?
Speaker 3: I said, I'm going to print writing bad checks in her name. Yes, I write some wandering fine.
Speaker 1: I said, I'm going to put her signature on two hundred and fifty shirts, and I'm going to dress.
Speaker 3: The crew in Jody's signature.
Speaker 1: This was an endeavor because we had to get the sizes, everyone's sizes in every department. So this was like a labor of love. Thank goodness for for Kim and Mel because they did the part that work.
Speaker 3: The best. It was something I will remember for the rest of my life. It was the best moment ever because it was.
Speaker 5: I walked on stage from where I parked my car, which was right next to like the stage door.
Speaker 3: So I walk in and usually like you.
Speaker 5: Walk in and you know, it's buzzing, you hear people, someone's hammering something, there's you.
Speaker 3: Know, people laughing.
Speaker 5: It was quiet, there's nothing, and I walked on stage and I was like, it's weird.
Speaker 3: It's quiet. So I'm like walking.
Speaker 5: Towards the dressing rooms and I come just around the corner of like one of the sets, and there is.
Speaker 3: The entire crew silently sitting in white T shirts with my signature on them in the living room set, like people on the stairs in the Alco. But the entire like the whole crew, including the dog. The dog even had a T shirt on and it was I couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: The most brilliant rank ever, you guys.
Speaker 1: I it was such a proud, proud moment. People still wear their shirts like, Gwen, you wear shirt, Steve wears his shirt, like we all still wear these shirts.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was.
Speaker 5: It was one of the stupider things that I've that I've done on set, and yet it led to some great comedy moments.
Speaker 1: So I will never let you live it down ever.
Speaker 5: I just remember being like, oh my because and I remember feeling so bad because I just love See so much, and I'm like I just really made his day harder.
Speaker 3: Like way harder than it asked. Steve. Oh, he's got to clean up my mess.
Speaker 2: And so also, Andrew posted that on YouTube looking up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you go to her YouTube you can. If it's still up there, I'm sure. Yeah, you can find the prank War episode and watch it yourself.
Speaker 3: It's truly worth watching if you like, I mean, because you got the behind the scenes of like how it was getting pulled off.
Speaker 5: So like, if you want to see this entire story unfold in like a ten minute YouTube video, go find it on Andrew's page.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's prank War whatever.
Speaker 1: And yet checkmate, checkmate, Actually check that's what.
Speaker 3: It was, checkmate. And I think I think I gave up after that you did.
Speaker 1: I was like, top that you can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean short of like parachuting into your backyard, you know what I mean, with like the signature being on the.
Speaker 3: Parachute, I don't know what I could have done it. That's actually a great idea. I'm gonna pick that if you ever pop that.
Speaker 2: Balloon on the gender reveal.
Speaker 3: Ben just thousands of post it notes.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good idea. See you no shortage of good ideas here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So apparently a word from our from our amazing producer that that video has one point four million views, So it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good, right, excellent, excellent, immortalized forever.
Speaker 3: My my screw ups are there to bring joy.
Speaker 2: It was no no big deal to me. I thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: It was it was, and it was funny. And like it's also because like I don't I am I'm good. I'm good, like I trying to make jobbies.
Speaker 2: So it's just like, oh no, and you are probably be different if you were somebody that like, you know, didn't care about the props.
Speaker 3: And right right, or somebody was just constantly screwing things up.
Speaker 1: I was so like, so sorry.
Speaker 5: And then I think we were doing the thing and like people kept asking what what's on the what's on that pham finger?
Speaker 3: You know, it's like it's it's me. I thought I thought it was a giveaway. There is out it's not in the show.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of the gender reveal, that that popping the balloon thing, that bit was hilarious. You were freaking hilarious doing that. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The laying that's right, yeah, laying on top of the balloon. Oh jeez, I forgot about that for.
Speaker 2: I watch all these So now I've got like oh okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh I forgot about that ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh it's hilarious. Yeah, it's hilarious. Yeah, and I like pointed out you guys know where I'm pointing. It's hilarious here, old guymon, old man trying to do and Andrew what you do? You did a couple of times in my two seasons when you would like talk to yourself as different characters, Like the one was you you and talking to your mom.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, yes, me and Adam hagen Boo were pretending to be the safari Oh hilarious.
Speaker 2: There's also another one where when she was quitting, she was gonna quit and like, okay, I'll be your friend, I'm your boss.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Those were just hilarious. They were hilarious.
Speaker 1: Such good memories, such good memories. Was it difficult, I know when we started Fuller House, Elias was pretty young, the boys, the twins were very very young. Yeah, they were just babies. Is it difficult working with kids because they like to touch everything, they touch and move things around.
Speaker 3: Do you have any stories you want to share? You don't have to name names?
Speaker 2: No, you know, actually no, And I'll tell you the twins. They didn't you know, they didn't do much Alias. You know, Elias was an age and my feeling is they're kids, and you gotta let them be kids, because their kids make sure you got extras of that prop, you know, and they're gonna and at first, and Alives was just right at that age where he didn't, you know, and after a while he started to become a pro and he started to get it, you know, And and it was don't get mad at the kid, just explaining to the kid, here's what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I've like all the kitchens I've done, I've done really well with all the kids. And the little secret behind that is I know how hard it is. I know how hard it is for kids. And you guys went through that too. I mean, how old were you guys when you started in Full House five and ten?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I was in a Jerry Lewis movie and it was the worst debut in movie history, and you could just see I was like, my shoulders are up here and I hardly moved and Jerry was like, so it was a shot. It was a two shot to mean somebody else. And Jerry's just off camera, and this was a cross you know, cross sight of my head, and you know, I'm like this and I'm not doing anything. And so he would tell me something to do, and so I would like, I look at him and go and then go back and do the thing. Oh it's just brutally bad. It was brutally bad. So I understand how hard it is for a kid, you know. So I always have given kids lots of lots of leeway about that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: That's a good attitude to have because we had a lot of kids on the show, always lots of kids.
Speaker 3: So broke all the cardinal rules kids and dogs.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is I treated them even though I knew there were kids and I had those kind of expectations. I also treat them like adults.
Speaker 3: Talk to them like people.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: They're smart, especially particularly Elias Alias was very smart. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And that was I think why I work with him, because I would be like, hey, you know what I mean, you just like, I'm like, I know you're smart, I know you get it, come here and like and then.
Speaker 3: You do it, you know, and it is it is so it's such a.
Speaker 5: Like so much is expected of you to put aside your normal kideness in order to do your job right.
Speaker 3: And some kids do that really well and some don't, and it's you know, it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tough because you got to balance those two things. You know, you're there to do a job and you're a good thing done. Also, if the kid can't have fun during the day.
Speaker 3: Right, and you're not going to get this stuff on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the energy that they're they're you know, trying to contain is often the thing that makes them great in their role and cute and fun and you know, so yeah, it's it is definitely, But I imagine working with props in particular, because it's like everything that has to be in their hand.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh no, no, no, no, no, don't do it.
Speaker 5: No no, no, no, no, no, right, just break the glass table at one point, were you there? I think that was that Charlie had to deal with that. Oh yeah, yeah, our sound dresser, Yeah, yeah, And it was it was one of those like hey, don't do hey, don't do It.
Speaker 1: Was the Jinga set, right, wasn't there a Jinga set?
Speaker 3: The Jenga set?
Speaker 5: And it yeah, and it went a little too I think something it got thrown or whatever and it cracked the whole table.
Speaker 2: And really, I actually have more problem with crew members than with kid actors, really because they'll walk by my cart and see a cool thing and grab it, want to play with it?
Speaker 1: Oh dang, that's a no.
Speaker 3: No, what's apartment's the worst?
Speaker 1: That's this is the biggest offender, which is the worst.
Speaker 3: Sound.
Speaker 2: They might still be hanging sandbags.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: What do you what is do you have like one particular prop moment that stands out as like something really like complicated that you had to pull off or or like that was in a scene that it was like there was just a stupid amount of props that had to be like interacted with.
Speaker 2: Was There's a couple of things. One was certainly already mentioned it the food eating episode the yeah, what was it? It was in the.
Speaker 3: Right right the sandwich Oh yeah, that entire episode.
Speaker 2: Was about people eating sandwiches, right, the entire episode.
Speaker 3: I ever seen so much sandwich, right, And so that.
Speaker 2: Was the same thing like the coffee cup. It's now you got to go back and have the write amount of sandwiches and a mount of stuff run. But for me, it was always so during my run, I had three prompt masters because a couple of times Jim couldn't be there. Remember we made that like fifteen foot sandwich. Yeah, so that was Marjorie Coster praterer. Okay, he was the prop master on Friends. Oh okay, we shot on the same stage. So she was great and Jim was great. And then like there was a couple of episodes where I had somebody else I didn't know, and it was not good situation with Jim and Marjorie. I was used to having fully functional camera ready props. So on the episide, when you guys went to the wedding expo, oh yeah, the dresses, yes, And and you sneak Fernando in in the duffel bag in the wheeling double bag thing, right, yes, yes, the woman just brings me like a carry on sized duffle bag, right, there's a little carry on thing, like you know, you can't And I looked at I said I can't. I said, you know, what, did you read this crypt A person has to come out of this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You known?
Speaker 3: So she finally child, but.
Speaker 2: She doesn't do anything to it to make it work. So while we're doing the while we're hears in the shawl we claw. I am trying to figure.
Speaker 5: Out, how do you So I remember zipping JP, you guys zipping JP up in that bag?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I got a picture of me with my head sticking out of the bag as like proof of concept.
Speaker 3: Right, You're like, look, a human being canfid in here.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. So for me that's when that stood out.
Speaker 3: But it had nothing to do with you know, yeah, I mean the right team makes all the difference, you know, huge, true, huge, got it, very true? And you and once you get to be a well oiled machine with people, it's like, you know, the slightest little thing you're like, oh wait, hold on, that's yeah, I'm not used to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so set up be the ones?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Steve, what are you working on? Now? What what's pilling your time? Right now? I'm retired, tired, right, I mean, I'm happy for you, but no, because I won't see you on set.
Speaker 3: I'm retired and now I'm back, how and.
Speaker 2: I'm back and we're back. However, I will come out of retirement for you too. So full of or golden girls.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm in something something, something that we need props for.
Speaker 1: We're gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna. I'm gonna demand that every scene I have, I have to have something in my hand and.
Speaker 2: Hand in your hand.
Speaker 3: Prob we're going to hold you to that.
Speaker 1: We're going to hold you to that promise.
Speaker 2: More than happy to really so I'm hoping to get so I want to stop put my traveling shoes on in Europe in a few years. And I got a bunch of friends that live over there.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, So it's that idea. Are you still active with your theater group, are you still directing them?
Speaker 2: Or is that sort of well I pulled back away from that. Yeah, A bunch of people that that this would be more for Dave's pin. A bunch of people around me have medical issues. I've had some medical issues, so I needed to pull away from it. The last two things we did was I did was how I learned to drive, and then a street car, which dang you.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I feel I feel guilty that I was looking, but.
Speaker 2: I was looking really forward to kind of you know, seeing where we could take Stella. I think it would have been really a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I know, well, and any excuse to spend more time with you too, of course.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll do it again, Jody is Bland, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well right date right, I love I mean, I love me some Tennessee Williams.
Speaker 2: So it came out really good. I was really proud of it. It came out really good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had a great group, great group of actors. It's really hard workers, you guys. You guys were outstanding.
Speaker 2: Thanks. I appreciate that. We were really proud of our work. We were a little so you know, Jody, we were a little teeny company like play the thirty six seat theaters. But it didn't matter. We love it.
Speaker 3: That's I mean.
Speaker 5: I I like, I did a reading for a theater thing that my friend had written, and like I just just sitting there and doing that in a you know, and it's not a huge theater, but there there's again something about live theater and sort of like the sitcom thing that it's h there's a creative energy that builds there that is unlike anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, absolutely, so true.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, well, see thank you so much for being on the show today. Like it really it made my heart smile to see you.
Speaker 3: I just I love this.
Speaker 5: I'm glad we got the full signature scandal, idiot, the best and so the problems.
Speaker 2: I I was so happy that you guys reached out to me, and and I'm always happy when you know. We've so so the people know we reach out to each other all the time. Yeah, you know, irls. The kids say, well, they may not say that anymore since I say it now, right, kill it. I just killed it's I love you both to pieces you both. You know. I started Fuller House as a job and it became a labor of love and I was being with my family every day. Yeah, and a lot of that has to do with you too, and I would not change that experience for anything in the world. I love you both great. Thank you and thank you for inviting me today.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thank you so much. I love you so much. We will see you soon, I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yes, we'll make a date.
Speaker 3: Sounds good. Okay, take care by thanks bye. I adore him. I just adore him.
Speaker 1: I adore him too. He's just so kind and generous and I just love me and smart. Oh.
Speaker 3: He and I used to talk all sorts of random that.
Speaker 5: I mean, he just he has a brain that works like mine where you know, again, like just sort of all over the place and we would have the most interesting conversations that started one and wound up somewhere totally different.
Speaker 3: But now he's and like finding out he's third generation Hollywood. Yeah, I mean was a child. Yeah, and we didn't know these things.
Speaker 1: No, I've learned a lot about the people we worked with for so many years, you know, we really have, and it's been I love it. It's so great.
Speaker 3: I love it so great.
Speaker 5: It makes me, you know, always kind of fall in love with the business a little bit more is hearing just all of the different, wild, interesting stories about what we get to be a part of.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, we worked with some very very cool people in our lifetime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we really have, and so much fun that we get to like interview them again with this as adults, I mean, I yeah, so cool. What else will we do. It's not like we call up people and just be like, hey, I need to have a few questions for you.
Speaker 1: How did you start in the business?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, was this an interview?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, just my own edification, just wondering.
Speaker 1: Yes, this podcast is a great excuse to get to know our people.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 5: And speaking of people that we get to know we love you Fanurrito's. You guys are amazing. Thank you so much for listening to the show. We really appreciate it. Make sure you're liking and subscribing to the show wherever you're listening to it, you know the deal. That way you get all the new episodes right when they drop. And also check out our merch store, how Rude Merch. Oh, do we need to maybe do a special edition run of the signature shirt?
Speaker 3: How did I not think of that?
Speaker 1: I still have your digital autograph with my shirt?
Speaker 5: I mean, and nobody everyone else would probably be like, I don't want to wear your silly.
Speaker 3: Will want to but yes it's true, but maybe so how rudemerch dot com. We have some we have some t shirts up there already. We've got some fun designs that Andrey and I have come up with. Are there turtles? There? Might be? Are there houses? Indeed? So go check it out how rudmerch dot com and and we'll be coming up with some more fun ideas for you guys in the meantime.
Speaker 5: If you want to follow us on Instagram, check out how Rude podcast. You want to send us an email, It's how Rude Tannerto's at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think that's it. I think I covered all the bases, all the basics, covered all the bases.
Speaker 5: You guys, wellek the outro right, I'm now it's done.
Speaker 3: Now, I can't performance anxiety.
Speaker 2: I believe in you.
Speaker 1: You can do this, Jodie.
Speaker 3: The world is small, but the house is full of my signature. Everywhere.
Speaker 5: I've signed everything, every wall, every I've signed the toilet seat, it's everything. Yeah, inside of the fridge even, yep, all.
Speaker 3: Of it just full of my signature.
Speaker 1: I will never get tired of telling that story. It's my favorite thing.
Speaker 5: Oh and I just I remember the realization of what I had done because someone was like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I think I might have been Kim was like why are you site? And I was like, I thought were supposed to sign stuff on the table. Oh and I just you were the first person I saw. I like relined it to you and was just like help anyway.
Speaker 1: It's very rare that I see you like genuinely embarrassed.
Speaker 3: Doesn't happen off genuinely mortified? I yes, yep, So the house is full of my signature. Guys, You're welcome. See you next time. Bye,