Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's time for another week of fun on mix Shots, or another hour of fun this week mix Shots Here inside the SWBC podcast studio, Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola. The star of the show wearing his cowboy blue with a big ol' star on his left chest.
Speaker 2: And there's football players on the football field.
Speaker 3: There are well, there was a tour workouts. There was a tour going by, and so I couldn't stand there and watch and see what playing. It looks like a ragtag group.
Speaker 2: Actually, well you guys.
Speaker 4: No, no, not the tour. Good people are good people, My people. Now, the guys out there, they just all kind of nobody had on anything.
Speaker 2: Blue, you know what I mean, So you'll look like cowboy. You'll appreciate this.
Speaker 5: So watching the rehab group, which in the morning, as we've seen Sam Williams and that John the tight End, Steven Stephens Stephens always.
Speaker 2: I always forget.
Speaker 3: I want to say Phillipsodan Stephens.
Speaker 2: Yes, brother or brother half brother?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Out there watching the workout was Charles Haley.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Charles.
Speaker 2: Here first thing in the morning, keeping an eye on Sam Williams.
Speaker 4: He's going to work out in the workout in.
Speaker 2: No, he's standing there.
Speaker 5: His workout in was last week when I said the apocalypse is upon us. He had two grandchildren he was watching. They couldn't have been more than two three years old, and he's chasing them around on the field and he.
Speaker 4: Kind of picks, you know, kind of like what he used to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, truly too. I said, all the world's ready to end as somebody's trust in him with grandkids.
Speaker 3: He's granddad.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so there was football people out there.
Speaker 3: All right, very good man. It's a beautiful day, beautiful week. How's your bracket doing.
Speaker 2: I didn't do one.
Speaker 3: He didn't do one. I did one. And it's actually doing better with this transfer portal and nil stuff. There aren't as many upsets as what.
Speaker 2: They're well they're having.
Speaker 3: It has got all the power forward teams that are in the sweet Sea.
Speaker 5: There's been one and it's too soon to talk about it. Okay, what I said, there's been one upset and I said its.
Speaker 3: Missouri, Missouri, Colorado State. Drake Drake, Oh, Drake, coach just got a new job. He's now the Iowa coach.
Speaker 2: He got Thank you, he got the job.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always said to show me, I'll show you, I'll take care of Missouri.
Speaker 2: And now he's so he just moved right down the road.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yep, yep. All right. So there's plenty to get to, yes, and but off the top, let's pay tribute to one of the great sports broadcasters of our era who passed away at the age of ninety nine yesterday, the great Bill Mercer, who was the Cowboys, the voice of the Cowboys back in the late sixties and early seventies. He was actually the original radio voice of the Texas Rangers baseball team too, in nineteen seventy two. Some of you may remember him as being the voice of World Class Wrestling Saturday Night Wrestling on Channel eleven, and he's probably best remembered for that. And then University of North Texas. There have been so many sports broadcasters who come out of that school and it's basically the Bill Mercer school of sports broadcasting.
Speaker 2: And he did a heck of a job.
Speaker 5: And I didn't realize before the Cowboys JFK, JFK and the Dallas Texans. Okay, Douglas had a cut from him selling tickets. It was a promo radio promo for the Dallas.
Speaker 3: Texans, the American Football League, Dallas Texans.
Speaker 5: But he also has and I think Chris has it, probably ready to go, a play by play cut from the Cowboys Super Bowl victory against Miami Dolphins back in would have been January of seventy two.
Speaker 2: Correct tracks in.
Speaker 6: A tight end on the right side, Thomas Garrison of the backfield.
Speaker 7: All words of them.
Speaker 6: Both tight ends are enough. Garrison right, Thomas left, second to go a three yard line saw back looks to this left, check to the right at the three. Bet you out of Thomas. Dwayne up inside of the five with the rake Thomas.
Speaker 8: He made a great move on ton of Connie, fired in to the blackfield. Think bring Wayne Thomas left one side of it, lancedalwarth It looks like the true fatty and he goes lathy off the field, lapping.
Speaker 6: His hands together.
Speaker 8: Three The Cowboys and wracked them.
Speaker 6: Up down to sixteen to three dry for extra point by Clark. It's up, but it's cut Nollas seventeen Miami three.
Speaker 4: All right, that's when Tom Lander was in a good move.
Speaker 2: Wow you think, Yeah, he was never in a good mood after the great.
Speaker 3: Names on that bought a Connie Nick Wanna. Connie started with Billy Truex was the tidy end for the cowboy Allworth Glance Awworth. Dwayne. He did say Dwayne to Dwayne. Yeah, it was on her first name, base Wayne, Dwayne. He was the only guy in the building that was on her first name.
Speaker 5: Base Teammates that that cut sounds like somebody talking about Babe Ruth hitting a home run.
Speaker 2: You know that old voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the quick, the quick, Yeah. The boys Yeah, and all of them like this as if they were Ye. They were in the choir.
Speaker 9: Like Lindsay Nelson at the night. Some of them for cutting Lord Johnny Moss out of the twenty five yard line, one of the Mos out of the fifteen yard line, Johnny Mousso into the ends, one touchdown out of my may.
Speaker 4: So that's that Oklahoma accent Muskegee Muscogee, Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Muscog Yeah, and Okie from Muscogee.
Speaker 5: He's in the Muscogee High School Athletics Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: All right, so he was a ballplayer too. I guess, well, you know what.
Speaker 5: And I also read I didn't realize this. He during World War Two.
Speaker 9: He was.
Speaker 5: In service for three years on a ship and one of those PT votes too during the whole too.
Speaker 3: So he was born in nineteen twenty six. My mom was born in moschool was from Muscoogee, Oklahoma too, really about that same era. Not surprised.
Speaker 4: It was something about Oklahoma was was going to grab him again. He's going to grab us again with something about this.
Speaker 3: My dad from Okema, Oklahoma, just down the road from Troy Yeigman's hometown of Henrietta, Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Ninety nine years.
Speaker 3: Ninety nine years old. And I actually you remember listening, Oh yeah, And I was going to mention first that I actually it was just a couple of years ago, maybe during COVID. Exchanged some emails with Bill Mercer. I know what it was. I was trying to track down he did. He He was the Ranger's voice on when David Clyde made his debut and in nineteen seventy three. So this is just a couple of years ago, and I was trying to track down from a guy who was mentored by Bill Mercer, Mike Kapps, who was a longtime radio voice of the Round Rock Express anyway, and so he got me in touch with Bill Mercer and we exchanged emails. And what I was amazed about with him was, I mean, at the time, he's ninety seven years old, and he was sharp as attack, even just with emails, you know, and that sort of thing. But I answer your question, I remember as a kid in nineteen seventy two first Rangers game ever was. It was a week night game on the West Coast at Anaheim against the California Angels, and Bill Mercer and Don Drysdale were the announcers. Oh way, yep, And I remember it was a school night and so I went to bed with the transistor radio under my pillow basically and listening to the Rangers.
Speaker 2: Did you guys, did you listen to radio?
Speaker 4: I did not listen to radio, but I was a wrestling uh aficionado Fishonado and I was a major fan of while who McDaniel.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma sooner, while who McDaniel, Yeah, play football. This guy and the Death Erics. Bill Mercer was very close with Von Erics.
Speaker 4: But I mean I was, you know, young enough to where you know, the dad was still in good shape.
Speaker 3: And did you watch it on Saturday nights? Yes, I did too.
Speaker 4: That was my grandmother. She died at one hundred and four years old. But she would sit there and she would press her hair at night. You know, we had the women had the hot comb and they would she would just sit there and just she was fall asleep watching wrestling, and me and my my cousin, who was you know, her grandson, we would you just go at it all the time in that room while she's over there watching wrestling. She fall asleep watching wrestling. And then we would be in acting. We're acting what we just saw on TV. So we're wrestling on the floor, and then she would get mad at us.
Speaker 3: She would hit us with something.
Speaker 4: I don't know what she would hit us with, but hit us with another hot and you guys stopped doing on it. So every Saturday night man grandmother's house watching.
Speaker 3: Bill Mercer at the North Side Coliseum in Mortatory, mos too. But the one, the one that was on TV was at the North side Colisee or that's where I fell in love with Killer Kowalski. Remember that dominal claw killer Colonel Coler. It was a spoiler, know that Van Eric had the iron cloth?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, it was the spoiler was the mask.
Speaker 2: He had the mask, and.
Speaker 4: They always tried to take off the mask and would just get right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wa got love it scars. There was now the one that wore mask.
Speaker 5: And uh yeah, so we should have a special guest here that we should knows quite a bit about Bill Mercer. If Chris has online, yeah, you said next segment, next second, all right, second segment, So I called.
Speaker 2: Him the second thing we do.
Speaker 3: Okay, he just felt.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll take He just felt left out of the conversation.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 4: We didn't talk.
Speaker 3: Do you want to take an early break, then let's do that. Okay, we're going to take an early break.
Speaker 5: And who do you want to yes, especially half a North Texas alone George Dunham, who at one point was the Texas Stadium uh pa announcer and uh knows Bill Mercer quite well.
Speaker 3: All right, so George Dunham joins us as we go down memory lane in just a mooment here on mix shots.
Speaker 10: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff? Tailgate's going way past post game Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger brisket in the Smoker, Miller Lite and the two America's team playing America's Greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football.
Speaker 3: Tastes like Miller Time.
Speaker 10: Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miler Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 11: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts? In the Yetti Star letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 2: All Right, folks, let's.
Speaker 12: Get started with the Yeddy French Press and Georgkalby This stay's hot Friers and French Press thirty four ounds for U six four with the cruise of Yetty French Press. Put mixed waterproof bags, bags of Waterproof and Versta Waterproof, Devil's Waterprove bay bags, sports most of water shoul get a waterproof Yetti bag.
Speaker 2: You gonna smell something.
Speaker 12: Cooking pot new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak cornback commerce pot pine and potatoes. Next over with three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 11: Gear gift some product experts. Visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Laketown Square Today.
Speaker 13: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto wants. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Kits slid for the first down.
Speaker 13: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie and crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 8: Perfect grow My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 13: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Shots Dallas Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 4: The United Dallas Cowboys United, presented by Globe Life, is now exclusively in the Dallas Cowboys App. Join the Official Fan Club today to receive access to all new Cowboys drops, feature team news and pre sale access, and fan and kid of the game. Download the ape pp now to join. Download the app now epp pp app Download the app app.
Speaker 3: All right, very good, All right, we continue with mixed shots. In a moment. We'll be joined by George Dunham and we'll talk about the legacy of Bill Mercer, one of the early Cowboys play by play men and a mentor to so many in the sports broadcasting community in North Texas. In the meantime, Cowboys have a couple of gaping holes on their roster. As we reached sort of the end of free agency. It's not over yet, obviously, guys can be signed at a moment's notice. We're through the first wave. We might be through the second wave already by now and there, with the exception of Will Greer, there's not a backup quarterback on this team and a second wide receiver is another what I would say is a gaping hole.
Speaker 5: Yes, because the New Orleans Saints just signed Brandon Cook's Cooks two year deals.
Speaker 3: Where he started at the first round draft pick. It started his career. That was the news on Friday. So it's going to be word to stay stay here. Yep, he wanted to stay. Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Up to thirteen million. I don't think the Cowboys were going there.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, what is he thirty thirty one, thirty.
Speaker 3: One something in that range? Yep, so fourteen. He was a young guy from the end of the league in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 5: Three years, one year with the Patriots, two years with the Rams, three years with the Texans, and then so two years.
Speaker 3: What did they get with the Calviny it was two years up to thirteen million. I don't know what. I haven't seen what the he has seen the guarantee.
Speaker 2: But and this last year, remember he he only played in eight games.
Speaker 3: He uh half a season with like twenty six catches.
Speaker 4: That's because they worked in the death off season twenty six they worked in the death in training camp.
Speaker 2: No, what happened was he did that deal.
Speaker 5: He was getting those blood platelet injections in his knee, and it was after the fourth game against the Giants, and.
Speaker 4: He messed up his knee in training camp. He did because he was getting his ass worked off spags. Yeah, I'm telling you, no, CD, that's all came from training camp. Let's just call it like it was.
Speaker 2: And then he tried to do the injecting.
Speaker 3: Reason that Kyrie got hurt, right, got carried the.
Speaker 5: Loads, he tried to do the injection, and he ended up with an infection, and then the knee really never came around to the point where he was brandan Cook's, which was a shame. He was a good guy in the lock.
Speaker 4: He was having a hell of a training camp as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember I was saying just what a player he was.
Speaker 5: Because I remember talking to Dac about it, and Dak pointed out that, you know, he got off to a slow start the year before he goes, But when you're throwing the ball to CD and you know everything we're doing, he didn't get much of an opportunity. Plus he got there late. I think he missed most of the off season. So but yeah, he goes. Now you can see what he can do with no CD there, and then unfortunately the net thing cropped.
Speaker 3: Up and the great influence on those young receivers in the Cowboys locker room. I mean, you look at the at the receivers the Cowboys have, and obviously behind CD, who turns twenty six April eighth, by the way, Cavante, Cavante turns twenty nine in August. But beyond that, and of course Cavante's just three years into the league now. Jayleen Tolbert going into his free agent year, by the way, by the way, contract year, he just turned twenty six. Jalen Brooks turns twenty five, and May Ryan Illinois an older player coming into the league, is a rookie last year. He actually is twenty five years old. Jonathan Mingo turned twenty four last week. And then Paris Campbell was signed the veteran at the veteran minimum and he's twenty seven years old in the second round. Hasn't done much at all in the league so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't get much of an opportunity in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: All right, that's an ugly list right then, And so that's that's what I'm saying. That's a gaping hole behind there is a NFL draft, Okay, drafts a draft, but I think they need a veteran guy. And that is an ugly list right there. I think there's a Tyler Lockett that needs to come into that locker.
Speaker 2: Was a couple of veterans. They're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right. We now are joined by a very special guest. Do you believe in the mean green George? Yeah, George Dunham from sports Radio. Well it was thirteen ten. Now what's the what is it now? Ninety six point seven.
Speaker 7: Ninety six seven? Yeah, you can say the ticket. Okay, whatever you want to call us, we'll answered it. Just about anything.
Speaker 3: From the ticket, George. You got Bill Jones, You've got Everson Walls, and you've got Mickey Spagnola. How are you doing?
Speaker 7: Gosh, I never thought i'd have a day where I got to talk to Everson Walls.
Speaker 4: That was going on.
Speaker 7: How you doing? But how number twenty four? Absolutely? Yeah, I'm doing great.
Speaker 4: By the way, almost all of my family went to North Texas, So is that right? You were in good company, from my oldest sisters to my youngest niece.
Speaker 3: By the way, that's awesome, awesome. But here's the big news last night. North Texas advanced right in it. They're into the quarterfinals, going up to still Wat Oklahoma to face Oklahoma State on Tuesday night. Tomorrow night'll be packed.
Speaker 4: He's coming from North Texas and Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Well, no one, no one from still Water be there.
Speaker 7: But yeah, they need to rename the tournament the North Texas Invitational.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 7: Tournament's right.
Speaker 3: They won the one at all with Grant McCaslin, who's now the Texas Tech coach, as the Red Raiders into the Sweet sixteen facing coach cal In Arkansas on Thursday. But George, the reason we've got you here is to reminisce a little bit about a guy who is very important in your life and of course as a former Cowboys radio voice going back to the late sixties and early seventies, a great impact on so many sports broadcasters and came out of the University of North Texas or going back in the day, North Texas State University, the great Bill Mercer. Let's let's talk about Bill Mercer and his impact on you.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I found out yesterday. I guess Dave Barnett, who's now the voice of the Mean Green contact to me and told me the news, and you know, it was said, there's been a real emptiness uh for a lot of us, even though Bill was at the age of ninety nine. What an incredible life. Even so you just he just thought, those are the guys that are you know that they're always going to be there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: What a life he had, and what a broadcasting life he had. Bill was just a really kind, kind spirit and teacher. And I think, you know, with all the accolades and we can talk wrestling and cowboys in Dallas, Texas and Chicago White Sox and and all that, but uh, he was but you know he was. He was an instructor at North Texas and the class he taught was Sports Broadcasting thirty three thirty. It's still taught today by my good friend Hank Dickinson. And when you took that class, it was like a rite of passage. You know. I'm now in a classroom where where Craig Way once sat, and Dave Barnett and Ted Davis who was a longtime voice of the Mavericks and Milwaukee Bucks, and David Hatchett and all these names that we heard about. Phillis George, the first female network sportscaster was influenced by Bill and his tutelage at North Texas. And this is not an exaggeration. He impacted thousands of lives. And maybe they didn't go into broadcasting, maybe they went into something else, or maybe they never got in front of the camera or in front of the microphone. But you learn so much from Bill's class and when you can sit down and say it was helped me out with the date here Mick and Bill, it was New Year's Eve nineteen sixty seven. I do believe the Ice Bowl and Blackie Sheridan and I had our coffee in front of us that it was frozen. And I mean he called the ice Bowl. He called North Texas football when Abner Haynes broke the color barrier ten years before Jerry Lebias did at SMU. Leon King and Abner Haynes played at North Texas and what they went through, and he told us those stories about you know, going on a train to Houston and they wouldn't let the North Texas football team stay there because they had two black players, and so the North Texas football team stayed on the train. And you know, well, I got two angry birds in my friend from each other. Sorry about that, but you know, he just he told us stories like that. They were so intact. And there he was as a young reporter in nineteen sixty three, and he did news, he did sports, he did Highland Park football. And here he is in November of nineteen sixty three getting ready to do a Highland Park football game and the president of the United States was assassinated in Dallas. And there he is at a press conference surrounded by news men from all over the country. And it was Bill Mercer who asked Lee Harvey Oswald or told him, by the way, you've been charged with murdering the president of the United States, Did you know that he was an incredible reporter? And all of that being said, and whether he was talking to you know, a Von Eric or Lee Harvey Oswald play by play came back to it because he could tell a story. He could, you know, he could. He used to tell us a story about when he was reporting on a fire Dallas and he went live and he described it and the news director apparently told him that's the greatest news report I've ever heard. And it was because he was doing play by play, he was descriptive about the flames and the smoke and what the firemen were doing, and and beyond all that, he was just kind.
Speaker 3: You know, he.
Speaker 7: He really was. He was really kind to all of us and incutting me. And you know, Bill and I at one point had our differences, and you know, it was a very complicated situation when I eventually replaced him as the voice of the Mean Green and some of that was my fault of how everything happened. And I'm so thankful that since then, you know, we talked and he showed such grace and understanding with me, and that's just you know, the essence of who he was. He was just careerly a really kind, kind and intelligent man.
Speaker 2: George.
Speaker 5: You didn't get to Dallas in time to be able to hear any of his broadcast live as a young kid.
Speaker 7: No, I The first I saw of him, ironically, was when I lived in Chicago and he's sitting next to Harry Carey. It was he did White Sox baseball and Channel forty four, and I was there every night for it. And then when I moved down here, I saw him doing wrestling and I thought, man, this this guy has a tough gig. That's the guy I used to do the White Sox. And here he is, you know, talking to some wrestler and the chairs being hit over someone head in the background. And then, you know, I heard about his legendary status in North Texas when I went there. But I went there as a business major. And then I met Craig Miller and he told me that he was a broadcast major. I didn't even know they had that. And then I met Bill, and that just changed my life. It changed the trajectory of what I was interested in. I you know, I thought, wow, I never even thought about being a sports broadcaster.
Speaker 3: That sounds great, George, George, George. I wonder what it sounded like when Bill Mercer and Harry Carey were in the booth together. How about how about we reenact for just a moment.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: I'll be Bill, you be Harry Carey, and Wilberwood. The knuckleballer is on the island for the Chicago White Sox. And here's the pitch, Harry, you take it from here.
Speaker 7: Here's the pitch, and that it's outside for ball four. You know, you think you pay a guy one hundred and twenty thousand dollars a year Bill, and they could get it over the plate. I love it, George, but you know, and that was that was the thing too about about Bill. He he was critical without cutting, you know. And he one thing that he always got on me. And everyone assumes, oh, you took sports broadcasting. That was probably a blowoff class. Hey, I did not make an A. I made a B. And it killed me because you know, only the best of the best made an A, and I thought, you know, but again it was one of those times where he pulled me aside and he said, I gave you a B because I know you can be better. And it made me work to get better. And you know, and again that was just a teaching moment for him. And yeah, he was and all that would be enough for a lifetime, But then you you fight for our country on a little pet boat in the South Pacific, and Bill went through some serious battles and saw some terrible, terrible things and he never really talked specifics about those arrible things that he saw, but he that that's part of what made him. I think he was so intelligent. You know, he was world traveled and he read a lot and he just knew a lot and would make references that you know, a students would look at each other and go, not hear a boxy where is that?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 7: And but but he would one of the things I was getting to that he would work with me. He'd probably be telling me that, right now, smile when you broadcast, this is supposed to be fun, you know. And I think I was just sweating bullets trying to get names and numbers right that I didn't often enjoy the broadcasts. And it's something I've really worked on through the years. And he could tell that just by listening to your tape. You know, he'd say, well, are you smiling? And I'd say, well, no, well why not. You're at a ball game, you know, this is this is great and the people who are listening that want to enjoy the game, they can't enjoy it if someone's on the other end and all he does is criticize and he's not smiling. That's just one of the I mean, I could go on and on, which is the helpful hints that he gave as to make you a better broadcaster, but also just to I think make you a better person.
Speaker 3: George.
Speaker 5: A couple of years ago, didn't you guys have some sort of reunion with him.
Speaker 2: With a bunch of the guys that we did, you know, and this is.
Speaker 7: I thought about this, and I'm so glad we did it. A few of us got together, a lot of those names that I mentioned, Craig and Don Harris who you know Bill really well, and San Antonio and guys we went to school with, and people and girls that came before us, and we got a group together from the sixties, seventies and the eighties and nineties and the aunts. And of course, if you're going to name anything after or someone these days, you got to raise money to do it. But that's just part of the thing. And we raise some money. And you know, anytime you cover a game at North Texas and you go to app which is now back to stadium, and you go to you know, the dining services, the media room, it's the Bill Mercer media room, and there's pictures of Bill. One of his old headsets is up there. And it was it was a really cool reunion and it was really neat hearing from people who were put on the air in the nineteen sixties, and you know, they were talking about going on the air and telling Bill, Hey, I don't agree with what's going on in our country right now, and Bill say will say it, you know, and that's that's your job as a broadcaster. You know, you can you can have some editorial commentary. And you know, Bill was right out there with him, and.
Speaker 10: He was just he was.
Speaker 7: It was almost like a Forrest Gump like life that he had, you know, the high school Harry Carry, you know, Lee, Harvey Oswald, Abner Haynes, the minor league baseball teams in Dallas and Fort Worth that he did, the Dallas Texans when the AFL came to town, you know. And and Bill was right there in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: And perhaps best known for his relationship with the vin Erics and world class wrestling.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Dave Barnett always quotes that that he was. They took a poll in Saudi Arabia at one point it was like the vn Erics, Scan Bar Act Bar and Bill were the most oder people in Saudi Arabia at the time. I mean, and when we would go on the road doing North Texas and I worked with Bill as a student, but I came back in nineteen ninety and we worked together ninety through ninety three and we would go to Lake Charles, Nakatish, Jonesboro, Arkansas, and all those stops in Louisiana, and you would think we were traveling with Elvis when we would walk into a restaurant. Hey, that's the wrestling guy. Can I have your autograph? Can you autograph my menu and say that you ate at my restaurant? I mean, yeah, people loved Bill.
Speaker 3: It's got to like Vern lundquisty Vern Lundquist did so many great events from the Masters to the Cowboys, NFL, the SEC. But he's best known for bolling for dollars.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I remember that's right, bowing for dollars. Well, well, George, we appreciate you reliving some of the memories with Bill Mercer and great impact on so many I mean, from you to Craig Miller. I mean you mentioned several of them there, but there are so many that have gone on to great careers. Who mentioned Craig Way with the University of Texas, Mark Folwell with the Mavericks, Dave Barnett for decades, and you know, at such an early age became the Mavericks play by play guy. I think he's twenty three years old, basically fresh out of the Bill Mercer School of Broadcasting and so many more, the younger ones like Ted Emrick and you know, Rich Phillips at SMU, and then goes the list goes on and on.
Speaker 7: It really does. And I appreciate you guys talking about Bill. And it's really been gratifying the last twenty four hours watching newscast and podcasts and radio and newspaper and they're talking about Bill and he deserves it because he was He was a legend. And yeah, they just don't they don't make them like that anymore, for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, George Dunham from ARGE, we appreciate you joining us on mix shots and for more. You can hear much more from Everson Walls if you check out mix Shots from Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 7: Off CEA believe that Joe Montana was throwing it away.
Speaker 2: I promise you he was.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, all right, George, appreciate it, See you guys, all right, Dan. Mix Shots continues in just a moment.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregames, sideline access, and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 3: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 4: Team hotel, Attend the best tail gay party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk ex'es and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 13: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto one. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win. Slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 8: Throw My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 13: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 3: Star Sports Tours is the only.
Speaker 4: Official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, Attend the best tailgate party. In Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 10: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed Latin Unday Morning Swacker Brisket and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the two America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 3: Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 1: Devict shuts.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys Flag Football League is here with nearly one hundred participating high schools. The Cowboys are thrilled to provide opportunities for athletes to develop their talent and foster the growth of girls flag football in the state of Texas. Find teams, view schedules, and learn more at Dallascowboys dot com. Slash girls Flag all.
Speaker 3: Right, very good. Great to have George Dunham on and again. Bill Mercer was the voice of the Cowboys during the Ice Bowl, first super Bowls and great legacy? Mickey? What else you got there on your legal pad.
Speaker 5: In our last Well, I think we can pick up where we left off and look into your big green notebook on wide receivers. Since we said that there seems to be a void there, well, I'll.
Speaker 3: Called it a sad list. Let's just call it what it is. Sad. You know, that's a good idea round to there. It's there aren't very many what I would say, the Green notebook would say are first round wide receivers, so you can get a wide receivers later in the draft, but there's not the first round. There is T Mac from Arizona. You you like the Teteroa McMillan. It's his name, Okay, I couldn't say this first. He's he's a big six four wide receiver, so he'll go buy T Mac. Yeah. T Mac is just annoying by T Mac. You like Matthew Golden from Texas. And by the way, Texas Pro Day is tomorrow, and I'm going, are you really yes? Okay? Like Isaiah Bond too, don't you? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, That's why I'm going mysel.
Speaker 3: Because Isaiah Bond or Matthew Golden. Both of them are checking out those wide receivers.
Speaker 2: That's right. I'll have a report out of next Monday.
Speaker 3: They'll have a quarterback throwing to them as well. They will yours who By the way, the reports are out there that he has a visit with the Cowboys. Of course he's a Dallas Day guy. But also there's a report this morning that yours has thirty visits with a number of teams, including the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: So the two wide receivers from ut first round, mid round, late round, too early at twelve.
Speaker 3: I would say it's too early at twelve, But when you run a four to nine, that's going to catch the attention, you know. And xavier' Worthy. Now Golden was at Texas just one year, sixteen games and one year fifty eight catches. Be it Houston who was at Houston prior to that for two years. He also has kick return ability and return two kicks for touchdowns at Houston. So we saw the run on wide receivers at the end of the first round beginning of the second round last year. It just kind of depends where that run starts this draft at running back is really good. Defensive line looks to be really deep. Now, what happens on that is sometimes because there's so many running backs, because there's so many defensive linemen, maybe you want to get your wide receiver earlier because of that, because they'll go quicker and they're not as deep. Maybe, but so you never know how it's going to play out. But typically I think it's you'll find your wide receivers that are Golden size five eleven one ninety. But with that speed. The speed gets him into the first round, and but the size would put him in the second or third round. Both of them small. Let me sit fine bond here. They're both similar size. To answer your question, yet under six feet yeah for around that.
Speaker 2: But he could be more than a slot receiver.
Speaker 3: Gold Golden, Sure, okay, he can play outside.
Speaker 5: Well, they've got guys that can play outside. I mean, all the guys you just mentioned that are the Cowboys have rights to. I don't know that there's a typical slot receiver among them. If you think about it now, they would do well for well. I mean Turpin can run out of the slot. CD has done it. In that group you mentioned the guy that needs an opportunity and he's got to be able to take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: Is Mingo.
Speaker 5: I mean, that guy was awfully good at Old Miss, and he really didn't do much in Carolina. I don't know if that has to do with the quarterback play while he was there, but I mean, as a number two guy outside, pretty darn good. You know.
Speaker 4: I recall when I was playing ball. I mean even going back to high school, I always knew that the off season was my ticket. Never was a good first impression. Guy, never did a wow any coaches right off the bat. But if you could just just let me work in, let me work in, and let me show you what I can do. You're not going to do that during the season. Got to do it, and back then we would do it in the spring. The spring ball was when you made your move, whether it was high school or whether it was college, and when you came to when you came to camp, you better do something to show people what you got inside of you. I don't think he's Mingo has taken that. He hasn't taken that leap. You have to have that leap. You have to have confidence in yourself to take that leap, to be able to say I'm going to go out here and show you what I show.
Speaker 3: What's going to be crucial for him is here. In just a couple of weeks, the Cowboys start there, I mean because.
Speaker 2: They get that coach.
Speaker 3: They get after time he got is April, May and June. What he shows to the coaches, he got to show and got to show. Worry.
Speaker 4: If you're gonna be if you're gonna be lukewarm and doing this time of your career, then that's all you got.
Speaker 3: You can't bring.
Speaker 4: If you can't bring it out of yourself to show them exactly what you have to have the confidence and the courage to show them what you can do, then then you're never gonna go. You're never gonna advance towards where you are right now. If he's gonna do this, and we talk about his side, talking about what he did old miss somehow, he's got to bring that back. I don't know what happened in Carolina, right, Yeah, I don't know what happened in Carolina, but he got to bring that bag. He has to show and with the DBS that he has out here. One advantage I had when I went to the Giants. The Giants didn't have good wide receivers. So I look good in practice?
Speaker 3: Why didn't this guy playing one?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 4: I look great? I mean he can't. You know, no one could catch anything. He's out here working now against some dbs that he should be able to beat. He should be able to show us what he can do against average dbs. He better starts showing it now because that list. We are not going anywhere with that list. I don't care how good your running back is. You've got to have some guys that's willing to step up. And I'm talking about tob It as well. They got us do more than what I've seen because other while we're looking at a quarterback who's going to get hurt again trying to wait for these wide receivers to get open. You can't just keep looking at one all the time. You got to look at a team of receivers that you can have, that you can depend on like clockwork. It's got to be the system has to be able to You have to work within the system to make yourself good to where you can say, okay, he can depend on me on second and thirteen. You know he can depend on me in critical moments of a ballgame. Right now, I don't know if that list is going to work it for us.
Speaker 3: I would like to go down the running back road here, because you've got Pro days this week. We mentioned Texas is tomorrow, Ohio State is Wednesday. Got a couple of Pro days today, which two running backs from Ohio State. A couple of running backs working out today Pro days at North Carolina Omari and Hampton, and at Iowa Klee Johnson. But the two Ohio State guys quin Shawn Judkins and Travion Henderson. I've been looking at these guys and this is where cowboys are going to be. They're going to find them. Well running back. Yeah, my draft in the draft and it's going to be in the top hundred picks. Okay, we're not waiting till the fourth round here, right? Are we an agreement on that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I agree, because once again that list of y is ugly. Yeah, that's why you need a running back.
Speaker 2: So when they had the assistant coach interviews.
Speaker 5: The end of Febebruary, yeah, somewhere in there, I was looking at everything.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're looking at some video here. Thirty two for Ohio State is Travion Henderson five eleven two O two ran a four to four to three at the forty ren for one thousand yards seven point one yards to carry ten touchdowns, had twenty seven for another two hundred and eighty four yards. Team captain at Ohio State. That was it. Those are his senior year overs.
Speaker 2: Which one's the Ohio State.
Speaker 3: This is Ohio State. Number thirty two Treveon Henderson.
Speaker 2: Okay, and.
Speaker 5: The other guy Quinn showIn John Judkins Unkins who had a pretty good playoff run. Both of those guys are first round picks right.
Speaker 3: Well, they could be. They could be first rounders, or they could because you know teams and team needs and that sort of thing and feelings about running backs in general. Number one is Quinn Shawn Judkins.
Speaker 4: How was the injury of history?
Speaker 3: It appears that they've been healthy throughout their career. Now Judkins here, number one. He's a bigger back, six foot two twenty one. Ran a four to four eight with a thirty eight and a half vertical on eleven broad jump, so he's got a good explosion. Yeah, and he he started his career at Ole Miss. He was first team All SEC in twenty three at ole Miss. His first year at ole Miss, he ran for fifteen hundred and sixty seven yards and sixteen touchdowns. And this this year, I told you what Henderson did at Ohio State with one thousand yards and ten touchdowns. Well, Judkins had one thousand yards and fourteen touchdowns.
Speaker 5: And I heard a interview with Henderson yep, And the question was, so you saw Judkins transferring to Ohio State.
Speaker 2: What went through your mind?
Speaker 5: Were you thinking, oh, I got to go and he goes, no, he goes, We're going to compete, and he goes, if he's that good, then we're going to have a hell of a competition.
Speaker 2: And this was before the and I'm going, okay, I like that.
Speaker 5: I like the way he handled the entire interview and it was from the combine and it's.
Speaker 4: Like a Jalen Hurt situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And so don't.
Speaker 5: Be afraid of the competition. So what I was going to tell you when you went into that, if you look at what the Cowboys have done putting this staff together, starting with Schottenheimer when he was offensive coordinator Seattle uh and the Jets, he had dynamic running games. There was a couple of times once with the Jets they led the league in rushing.
Speaker 2: He did it in.
Speaker 3: SEETFC championship game that year, too, right, and Seattle led the league.
Speaker 5: Also, it's right and so, and then look who he hired. And I think, I want to say Miles Sanders might have said it. He goes, they asked him about coming here in the running game, and he goes, well, you don't always see the offensive coordinator is an offensive line coach. So they have made I think a priority hiring Clayton Adams, a proven offensive line coach who had been an offensive coordinator line coach in college the last two years at Arizona, and they ran the ball and someone said, well, that's because of Kyle Murray. Well, Murray ran well the first year. The second year he didn't have but two hundred yards rushing. So James Connor was running back, yes, and he flourished. Arizona's ran for more yards than they had in sixteen years with him as the offensive line coach. Then you hire a offensive line coach who had been the OC and offensive line coach at Kansas State, Connor Riley, Connor Riley. And so I'm sitting there looking at this and I'm saying, well, they seem to be making a priority of this running game. So when Schottenheimer was walking off when the assistants were doing the interview, I said, am I right to think that you're putting an emphasis on the running game? And he goes, I'd say that's accurate. And then I said, and the hires you made.
Speaker 2: Was it intentional to boost the running game? He says, I think so.
Speaker 5: He says, I've been tracking some of these guys for a long time. And he pointed out that, you know, when he was an offensive coordinator, he had to put staffs together, so he kept his eye on some of these up and coming coaches, not only in the NFL, but in college too. And then if you look at Lunda Wells, the tight end coach, well he was an offensive line He was an offensive lineman at LSU, and he was an offensive line coach before he got the tight ends here. So to me, they want to make this running game go, whether it's the guys they have now or adding somebody at least one guy in the first two rounds.
Speaker 3: All right, One other note on these two Ohio State running backs. Henderson is the more veteran of the two. He was at Ohio State for four years. He ranks top five all time Ohio State running backs. Can you name any Ohio State running backs from the past starting with Archie Griffin? Number two on the list JK. Dobbins, Three is Zeke four, Eddie George In. Number five is Trevion Henderson as far as all time rushing at Ohio State. The other thing that I picked up on from him is he seems to be really good as a past protector, a very physical, good blocker, and so he may be as a every down back type. He may be more ready to go right now than Judkins. But I love Judkins too as far as his strength, Yeah, exactly, Yeah, I like it. I like well Henderson too. Henderson at a thirty eight and a half vertical and ten eight broad jump, both of them are very similar. I like it.
Speaker 4: I like Henderson's running style a little bit better, Yeah, only because.
Speaker 3: It's more elusive. Yeah to the right, not that he would be would write more effective. All right, Then there's North Carolina. They got their pro dated day Omaron Hampton and a lot of people are ranking him just behind Ashton Genty is the number two running back. Okay, we just saw those Ohio State backs. Well, this guy must really be something if we have if he ranks right behind him six foot two hundred and twenty one pounds, very similar to the numbers on Quinchan Judkins with four four, six forty and a thirty eight vertical and a ten ten broad jump. Was the machine broken at the combine? They're all got the same numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just.
Speaker 3: Let's just put this at Hampton at North Carolina the last couple of years, over two hundred and fifty rushing attempts over fifteen hundred yards both years and average very consistent five point nine yards of carry and scored fifteen touchdowns both years at North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Now, how good are these as receiving backs?
Speaker 7: I think that.
Speaker 3: Hampton had thirty Hampton had thirty eight catches for three hundred and seventy three yards and two touchdowns his senior year. One thing on Judkins with Ohio State, he did not look as natural catching the ball as what Henderson did too. And that's the other thing that.
Speaker 4: Well, let's just say we have this issue with wide receivers, and I just talked about the young man. If you have a shifty running back that can also be a good pass receiver. If you have a tight end that's going to block well for you, then he's going to be your best friend in play action. So I'm looking at this list that we have, not just the wide receiver list, but the entire roster that we could potentially have.
Speaker 3: If we're going to be running the ball, then those.
Speaker 4: Counters, those other options are going to be extremely important.
Speaker 2: Your tight ends got to know how to block and catch a ball.
Speaker 4: You got to have more than one good tight end that can do that, and you it'd be best if you don't have a good number two receiver.
Speaker 3: Then you're running back.
Speaker 4: He needs to be a very shifty and good pass catching running.
Speaker 2: Back as well well.
Speaker 5: And that's where at least one of the two guys they've signed now Devant Williams, Fonte Williams and Miles Sanders.
Speaker 2: You're going to keep a veteran running back, and.
Speaker 5: Those guys have been pretty good in the passing as I remembered.
Speaker 3: Because Sanders, I think you're keeping both those guys. I don't think either one of them is Royce Freeman.
Speaker 2: Okay, you believe.
Speaker 3: I think you keep both of those guys plus a rookie, and then Douce fits in if if he can.
Speaker 2: If he can somewhere. But I was looking up there those guys, or.
Speaker 3: Beat Douce beats out one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 5: And those guys in the passing game previously have been pretty good catching the ball. Now, Williams had to come back from his torn acl Actually he hit the triple crown in knee injury his second year in Denver, so he's two years removed from it now, so you would hope that he can get back.
Speaker 3: He had won eight game stretch last year and I don't know what happened