Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty arm Strong and Gatty and he Armstrong and Getty. You don't know, how's it going? Glad you're here. And we mentioned a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: October means the Supreme Court's back in session. First Monday in October they start back up again. I've already had questions about that. We welcome to the studio. Actually in the studio, Tim Sanderfer of the Goldwater And so.
Speaker 1: Now I have to admit the only reason I came down to the studio was for your life size cardboard cutout of Taylor Swift, which we do have. Yeah. No, it's great to be back. It's been a long time since I've been in here. It's nice to see it.
Speaker 2: Why does the Supreme Court take a break? Why don't they work year round? And they had so many cases between June and October this year. Why don't they just stay in session year around like other people with jobs.
Speaker 1: In one sense, they do. They do sort of work all year round because they're always on call for emergency cases and things like that. But the term that begins in October and ends in late June. Right before the July fourth break is when they hear oral arguments and issue decisions, and they try to get all of the calendar, all the decisions that on the calendar issued by the end of that of that session. And most state Supreme courts do not do that. The most, like California Supreme Court is always in session. But it's just an old tradition. I think the justice is like their summer vacation time they get to go on these junkets to foreign countries, or they teach classes for some law school that hosts an event in Spain, and you know, it's kind of a just the way they've done things, and you know in the law, if they've done things for a long time, that becomes legal. Right.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So this particular Supreme Court session, what are cases that you're excited about? And as you always point out, what cases they decide to take as big as the rulings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. And because they don't have to hear every case, they can choose to take a case or not, and in fact, they only take about one percent of all the cases that they are asked to decide. Yeah, yeah, and fewer every year, really, And how do they vote on that? Is that just a majority five for it's four justices, so there's nine of them. If four of them say they want to hear a case, then they go ahead and together the case on the theory that you might swing one vote one way or the other. But the one good point, the one that really stood out just this week is on Monday, the Supreme Court said that they want to hear a case, well, a few justices said they want to hear a case about parental rights, and in particular these cases that are popping up all over the country of schools deciding to transition a student from male to female or female to male and then conceal that information from a parent. And we at the Goldwater Institute, in fact, are litigating one of these cases. We file the petition the Supreme Court that we're waiting for them to decide whether to take this case or not. Out of Maine, where a school district in Maine decided to take our client's child and give this child a a device to restrain her breast so that she would look male when putting a shirt on. Was a teenager and gave this child two of these and then said to the to the child, well, we don't we won't tell your parents, and you don't have to tell your parents. And then and so this would lose my mind. Can you imagine? Can you imagine? These are these schools are supposed to be You're supposed to be entrusting these schools to take care of your kids while teaching them reading, writing, arithmetic, and history, and and that's that's what they're supposed to be doing. And instead they've taken this very I'm sure they think of it as very proactive and protective, but I would call it aggressive approach in actively trying to withhold information from parents, and the kind of information that is really central to a parent raising a child. I mean, psycho sexual development of a teenager is something a parent needs to be there to help a child through. And the schools are saying, no, no, you shouldn't have a say in the matter. And well, the U. S. Supreme Court has said in the past the parents have a fundamental constitutional right to control the education and upbringing of their children. And so we say that what the school did violated that constitutional right, and we've asked the Supreme Court to take that case. Well, what happened on Monday was that Justice as Alito, Thomas, and Gorsich issued a dec issued in an order, you know, it wasn't a ruling, but issued an order saying we would really like to hear a case like this. There was another case similar facts to Court decided not to take the case, but they said, well, we would like to hear a case along these lines. And they're going to have to eventually. I mean, as the regulatory state expands its control, and as the teachers' unions can expand their control, and as the state increasingly things that it knows better than you do how to raise your kids, you're going to find more and more and more of these conflicts. And there has to be a limit, a line drawn to protect the rights of parents to raise their kids.
Speaker 2: And if the Supreme Court decides that now you can't do they can't keep that sort of stuff secret from the parents, Will that have tentacles beyond just try and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, definitely it will. And in fact, they've sort of already did started doing this. So last term, the Court decided a case about schools that were teaching lessons to kids about sexuality like same sex, marriages, transsexuals, et cetera, et cetera. In and this was very young kids. I don't remember exactly, but you know, elementary and pre elementary's kids in Virginia. And the question in that case was do the parents have a constitutional right to opt their kids out to say, I just don't want my kids to go through these these lessons? And the Supreme Court said yes they do. Now, the reason that you do have that constitution right, and the reason that's important is because there's been this question among lawyers and judges over the level of how far does the parent's right to protect and direct the upbringing of a child, How far does that extend? Does it stop when you choose what school to send your kid to, Because that's what a lot of courts have said, a lot like circuit courts of appeals have said, well, yes, you have a constitution right to control the education of your child, but once you've chosen what school to send your kid to, that's the end of it. Then it's up to the school that you know that the you we can and that makes sense because you can't have parents going in there and vetoing everything that a public school wants to do you know, have a Heckler's veto over the entire curriculum of a school. I can see why they're concerned about that, but it also it can't be the case that your parents your rights as a parent end once you send your kid to the public school and then they can do whatever they want. And sure enough, in this Virginia case, the Supreme Court said, no, a parent's rights do not end at the schoolhouse gate. Well, if that's true, then that the same applies to these situations where schools are concealing vital information from parents about how their kids are developing.
Speaker 2: What's that quote you always have from the early twentieth century, Progressive is about schools?
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, well, you know the progressive thought of public education as a means of shaping the minds of of kids. And Woodrow Woodrow Wilson. Am I living through that right now totally? And Woodrow Wilson, who you know, he was the only president with a PhD. He was like a college president before he became President of the United States. He was a leading progressive intellectual. He has this speech where he says that the goal of the school is to make the child as unlike the parent as possible, and that was so great. It's a very extreme way of putting it. But you s, what they were thinking is, well, they were like, the problems, all the tensions and difficulties that we have in America, those can be resolved by taking all the kids and putting them together and teaching them, you know, how to be good citizens. Which maybe that sounds good to you in the abstract, but the problem is what do you mean by good citizens? All right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The problem the problem with that, obviously is they have determined, we have figured out what is best for all of you know, America, and that's what we're going to teach kids.
Speaker 1: And fortunately there are alternatives. There's school choice programs throughout the country that parents can take advantage of to get their kids into schools that are tailor made or a tailor designed for their kids. And especially in my home state of Arizona, we have a wonderfully successful program, the Empowerment Scholarship Account Program, where a parent can decide what schools to send their kids to and get them out of failing public schools or public schools that aren't serving their kids needs, maybe their kids have special needs or that are abusing their power in these ways, and what we need is more school choice, more power in the hands of parents, and less power in the hands of bureaucrats who again think that they know better than you do how your kids ought to be raised.
Speaker 2: You and your wife are committed to non child people, But it would be so awesome if you had kids, just because I can imagine, I mean, because you get fired up about this on behalf of other people's kids.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine if your kids. It's a scary thought. I had not thought of it till you mentioned that. But you're right, I can't imagine. You mean a school board meeting. I was, well, I just think about how I was when I was in school. I was already a kind of a nonconformist when I was forced to go to the government schools, and I made life pretty pretty hell for my parents my teachers when I was in school, So I can imagine what I would do if it was my kid.
Speaker 2: Well, I promised to get back to the Supreme Court stuff. But tim was helpful to me and my story of my son taking a public school American history class and on day one having to write a land acknowledgment about the tribe that had owned the land board the school.
Speaker 1: Was and how we should all feel so horrible about that? Who and that tribe probably stole it from some other tribe, and that tribe stole it from some other tribe. I mean, I would I just pray for the day when somebody requires somebody to do a land acknowledgment for the Commanchee, you know, the most aggressive imperial power in Native America that just slought or countless other tribes and stole their land. And yet now you know, and somebody does this land was once possessed by the commanche you know, And I would love to see that. Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: They must not do this in Europe, right, the land acknowledgement, because it'd be impossible if you had a square foot of France, right or Germany?
Speaker 1: I mean, how in the hell would you do This land used to belong to Germany and then Russia and then Germany and then France and then Germany and then Russia.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it would be very, very complicated. What other Supreme Court cases are you excited about this?
Speaker 1: Well, the there's an important gun rights case that's going to go up there, and and this case is it's it's kind of tough as an intellectual matter, at least as I think so. And that is so, the state of Hawaii passes a law that says you're not allowed to bring a gun onto private property without the express permission of the owner. Now, on one hand, that makes sense to me, because I wouldn't bring a gun into my friend's house without saying, Hey, by the way, I have a gun, is it okay with you if I bring it into the house. But on the other hand, the reason this law has passed was because most people are probably not going to put up a sign on their houses is it's okay for you to bring a gun on this property something? And so it's kind of a clever way of preventing people from carrying guns anywhere. Oh okay, right. And so the question presented in the case is to what level can the state manipulate this sort of baseline rule, this the default rule of whether you're allowed to with with as long as nobody forbids you, or whether you're not allowed to unless you get express permission.
Speaker 2: And that's a tough question. Opt in opt out stuff always drives me crazy. Who decides which which it's going to be right.
Speaker 1: And so now the court has been pretty good about protecting gun rights, but there are some contray examples. There have been some cases that where the court has not, you know, been as aggressive in protecting these rights as I would like. And so I do worry about them setting a decision here that's gonna weaken the right to possess firearms. But on the other hand, property rights, I have a right to decide whether some sure the property brings it out of my property or on.
Speaker 2: The course of course, I got questions about that and other stuff with Tim sanderf for coming up on and tell you about price picks. You know, the NBA season is getting underway, obviously, NFL is as hot as it's ever been, and playoff Baseball we're headed toward the World Series here.
Speaker 1: Soon you can get involved with price picks.
Speaker 2: You got really strong opinions about who's doing well or what team's gonna win.
Speaker 1: Turn it into cash with price picks. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Price picks now offers stacks meanings, meaning that you could pick the same player up to three times in the same lineup. So, for instance, Steph Curry playing basketball, you could take zero points three pointers and assists you could pick all three of them in the same lineup only on Price Picks to make money.
Speaker 1: This is what you do.
Speaker 2: You download the Price Picks up today, use the code Armstrong to get fifty dollars in lineups after you play your first five dollars lineup. That code is Armstrong to get fifty dollars in lineups after you play your first five dollars lineup Price Picks. It's good to be right, and you can stick around for a little while time. Yeah, look forward to that.
Speaker 1: All on the way stay here are Strong and.
Speaker 2: Tim Sander is thankfully committed to sticking around for a little while talking about these Supreme Court cases or various state cases.
Speaker 1: But we're just discussing.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons I think Tim is a fan favorite has been for many years on The Armstrong and Getty Show is your ability to explain these complicated cases in a way that's normal people like us can understand.
Speaker 1: You know. I think part of the reason for that is that I was never a very good student in school, and so the teacher would get up there and lecture about something I wouldn't get it, so I'd have to go out and learn it. Myself, so I would pull down the book and read it myself, and that's how I got it. And so I know how I learned this stuff, and so when I explained it to other people, I tell them the way that I figured it out as opposed to the way that it's normally talked about in other circles. And I think that might be part of the reason that is really interesting. Have you ever thought about teaching in the law school. I have taught a couple classes. I've taught a class at McGeorge and Sacramento. I taught a class at George Mason in Virginia. I just taught a class two years ago at Arizona State University. So I have taught a couple times and all bit the students loved it. Well, I don't know, you have to ask them, but it was a lot of work. That's the thing. I felt sorry for my law professors in retrospect because I had not realized when I was a student how much work it really is. That you have to just do it.
Speaker 2: Once and then you're written, and then you could keep doing the same spiel for the next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty years. Yeah, I suppose you could, you know, just update your outline as you go. That is true. But on the other hand, you would think that speaking for two hours is twice as hard as speaking for one hour, and actually it's like fifty times. How I want speaking for an hour. It's keeping the students' attention and not being boring. That's the thing I just dread being boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell me about it. We call that flop sweat in radio business, when you start feeling, Okay, this is not working. So how did vaping become a court case?
Speaker 1: Look at? So? One of the things that makes the Goldwater Institute where I work, unique is that we try to focus on state constitutions, on the rights that are protected by your state constitution, which a lot of people forget about. They'll talk about the Bill of Rights and they forget about the fact that your state constitution protects more rights typically than does the federal Constitution. So we like to go to state supreme courts to defend state constitutional rights. And we have a case pending in the Oregon Supreme Court. In fact, it was just argued a couple of days ago about the freedom of speech under the state constitution, and it involves a state law that makes it illegal to package vaping products in a manner that quote might be attractive to miners end quote. And that term whatever might be attractive to miners is determined by a government bureaucracy, because you know, a whole bunch of middle aged bureaucrats and a government entity. They really have their fingers on the pulse of youthful America.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And so we say this violates freedom of speech. Our client runs a vaping shop. Kids aren't even allowed in his shop. Nevertheless, under this law, he cannot even put a picture of a cherry on a box full of cherry flavored vaping liquid. The state has said that that is illegal. Well, that obviously violates your freedom of speech.
Speaker 2: Right, and it could be you know, you could just trapolate that to so many other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't put you can't say what, you can't say a truthful message about what's in the contents of a package. And if this isn't even I mean, if the if the constitution doesn't protect your right to speak the truth, you've got some real problems there, right. And the bureaucracy there when they when we sued they can't, they came back and said, well, you you're not allowed to sue yet because we haven't written the regulations. We haven't told you yet what is attractive to minors, which is just that's crazy. I mean, the idea that bureau bureaucrats can be empowered to decide what speech you are and aren't allowed to express, and then that you're not allowed to challenge it until they write the rules is wild. So we went up to the Oregon Supreme Court just a few days ago and one of my colleagues, John Thorpe, argued that case and it went pretty well. I think, you know, I got my fingers crossed about that case. Cool.
Speaker 2: Would people like you I others who like smaller government, would we rather were living under more state constitution rules than federal constitution rules?
Speaker 1: In some ways yes, and in some ways no. So it is true that state constitutions tend to protect freedom more broadly than the federal Constitution does. But you can't just leave it to the states. We have to have that federal protection against states. So think the Fourteenth amendmentant that prevents the state from violating your federal constitutional rights is crucial in protecting that. But for the most part, of course, these decisions should mostly be made at the state level. Political decisions generally, and constitutional rights should be understood mostly at the state level because state judges, for one thing, they typically are either elected or we have retention elections, so you have more control over them, and they're more attuned to the history and culture of that state, and they know what the constitution means.
Speaker 2: I have more questions about that, and we're going to talk about more Supreme Court cases coming up with Tim Sandfer, who works with the Goldwater Institute and has been a fan favored of the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: For how many years? Oh, it's been at least a decade.
Speaker 2: No longer than that. Yeah, Yeah, we've been doing this. Yeah, so it's sad to think about.
Speaker 1: Really. So we got a lot on the way.
Speaker 2: I hope you can stay with us if you missed a segment or now we get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 1: Stay with us Armstrong and Getty. We're talking with Tim Sander of the Goldwater Institute.
Speaker 2: Anything nice you want to say about Goldwater Institute before I start asking you questions.
Speaker 1: We're a nonprofit organization devoted to protecting individual rights in courts and in legislatures. Across the country. We're defending your right to Our greatest achievement really is Right to Try, which is a legislation that was signed by President Trump in his previous term that protects your right if you are a terminally ill patient to access medicine that has been approved for safety but not yet fully approved for sale by the FDA. And now we're branching out into Right to Try two point zero, which is an effort to legally protect your right to access tailor made medical treatment that's designed just for you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you guys did that. It's insane that it wasn't already the case. I mean, it's just close my mind. For years that we've been talking about this.
Speaker 1: It really is. Well. We were just talking about how bureaucrats think they know better than you do about how to raise your kids. A lot of the time, bureaucrats think they know better than you do what medicines you ought to be allowed to even choose from, even when you're a patient with a terminal illness that can't be cured anyway, and you there's an opportunity to take this investigational medicine that might improve things for you, and then some bureaucrat comes in and says, no, no, we're not. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite phrases from that whole thing was you might give them false.
Speaker 1: Hope, false hope. That's right. Well, no hope is false.
Speaker 2: How about I'm allowed to, in my final days alive as a human being, to have some false hope, you son of a bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, and some and some authority over my own decision. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: How before we get to a specific case, how left are law schools in general across the country.
Speaker 1: They are so much worse than you could possibly imagine the entire legal is right. Well, there's a number of historical reasons, I'm sure. I mean, part of it, I think is the romanticism of the sixties, you know, the hero the heroism of Brown versus Board of Education that then spread after that into this notion that the civil rights lawyers were the champions of social justice and so forth. And that was part of it, even though even when that got sidetracked into these crazy left wing notions that have nothing to do with justice. But I think the biggest problem is the very phrase social justice. Law schools are not very good on philosophy, and they teach a corrupted notion of what justice means. They think a lot of people think justice means equality. Justice does not mean equality. Justice and equality, in fact, have very little to do with one another. Justice means ensuring that every person gets what is his or her own, and equality is about distributing to things to people according to some set formula. And so justice inequality of very different things. But nobody talks about this in law school, and so people emerge from law school thinking they're deeply educated with these perverse notions about what justice even means to begin with.
Speaker 2: So if the legal education system in this country is way left, what is the result of that.
Speaker 1: Do we turn out a whole bunch of left lawyers?
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 1: We have tons and tons of left lawyers and left judges who often, I think, have never seriously even considered the alternative. And so they've been kind of gobsmacked by the rise of the federalist society and the backlash against what we lawyers call the New Deal Settlement, that the way that constitutional law has been interpreted since the nineteen thirties or so. There's been this effort to push back against that, and I think It really surprised a lot of legal intellectuals. Lawrence Tribe, who you know, very famous law professor, refused even to publish the second volume of his treatise on Constitutional Law because he said he no longer understood constitutional law. Well good, because the constitutional law he's been p's in practicing is kakame Ma.
Speaker 2: And then you were talking about Goldwater Institute gets involved in state constitutions a lot. What what couple of states have the wackiest constitutions?
Speaker 1: Oh? Wow, Well, Montana's is pretty bad. It's written in the nineteen seventies and it has all sorts of sort of lefty notions in it. But I and Hawaii's my favorite thing. Hawaii. Actually the law of the splintered Paddle is part of their constitution. Nobody knows what the law of the splintered paddle means, but it's an ancient thing that dates back to Kamema, so it's in the constitution. Okay, But I think the general consensus is that Alabama has the worst state constitution. It's been amended so many times that it's several hundred pages long, and it has every little last detail of state law on embedded in it. And it's just too complicated for words. I mean, California is pretty lousy. California is a bad has a lowsy constitution, but it's not quite that bad. Wow, that is really interesting.
Speaker 2: But the laboratories of democracy, you know, at least we get to see how it works out.
Speaker 1: You have a lot of crazy experiments in some of those laboratories. I mean, you're experimenting on human beings. But that that's consent, right, true.
Speaker 2: You do have the opportunity to leave the state if you want to. What other case the Supreme Court's taking up your interest to do it? Well.
Speaker 1: Of course, the biggest case on the horizon as far as I'm concerned, is the tariff case that we're talking about Federal Constitution now and the Federal Supreme Court, and that is the constitutionality of President Trump's tariffs, which are I know, totally unconstitutional, totally illegal.
Speaker 2: I know nothing about this, but the idea that one guy, any guy Trump, or anybody else could make that sort of a decision for America in the world just doesn't seem on its face correct.
Speaker 1: You would have floored the authors of the Constitution of the United States, who had lived through the American Revolution and had experienced exactly that and wrote a constitution to prohibit exactly that thing from happening. Of a single person imposing taxes on the whole nation in the amount that he chooses, for whatever reason he wants, for as long as he decides that's that's wild. And but I don't think that the I'll get to the constitutional issue in this case. I think they'll probably decide this on statutory grounds. And what I mean by that is the teriffs are supposedly in accordance with a statute called AEPA, which stands for something I don't remember, and AYIPA does not actually allow for tariffs. What it says is that the president can in a case in an emergency, the president can regulate or seize products from foreign countries in commerce and things like that. It's designed to freeze assets and capture things so that people aren't sending bad stuff to the enemy in wartime and stuff. The statute is not designed to allow for these tariffs that are just designed or formulated however the president wants. So I think the court is going to say that they don't satisfy it. But shouldn't they have taken that up like last week, given.
Speaker 2: The fact that I mean we're threatening one hundred percent tariffs on everything from China starting November first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be nice if some of these things are faster. But to know, in their defense, there's so much stuff that's been coming at them, There's so much unconstitutional stuff that's been going on that's been thrown at their heads. You know, there's only so much time that they can resolve these cases, do they.
Speaker 2: I know, sometimes you prioritize things and move them up, like you know, deciding on uh, you know, Nixon and Watergate and all kinds of things that where you just decide, we got to have an emergency session.
Speaker 1: But right in general, you just let it come down, like when it comes down the pipe. So here's the thing. So the the Feds said, because the plaintiffs in that case said, well, you need to resolve this really quickly for all the reasons you just said, and the Trump administration said, no, no, there's no hurry because we can always refund people the taxes if these things are declared to league, that wouldn't be complicated at all. And then at the same time, the administration is putting out these press releases saying, we have to keep these tariffs in place because it would be economic chaos if they get struck down, because then we'd have to refund everybody's money. They were literally saying the opposite thing simultaneously. I know that that is ordinary nowadays, but to me that's still shock us.
Speaker 2: Lay people don't fully understand that. You know, these things have to work their way through courts, through a low lower level all the way to the higher level, and it takes its time or everything like that.
Speaker 1: But there's so many.
Speaker 2: Examples, like the can a fifteen year old boy participat in girls sports in high school?
Speaker 1: It just seems like this is gonna get to the Supreme Court. Can we just do it now and decide?
Speaker 2: Or the same thing, can you be a sanctuary city and just decide we don't agree, Well, you just decide these now.
Speaker 1: Part of the reason I mentioned now the court takes only one percent of the cases and fewer every year. A part of the thing is I think some of the conservative justices have wanted the Supreme Court not to decide these questions. They sort of tend to want lower courts to resolve these questions. The problem with that is, of course, the lower courts disagree with each other sometimes, but I think that the Supreme Court sees itself as they're worried that they don't because they follow this no nonsense idea of a judicial restraint. We don't want unelected judges controlling everything, which scares everybody else but doesn't scare me, because I'm worried about judges getting things wrong, whether they get it wrong by being too active or too passive, I'm worried about them getting the wrong. I'm not worried about being activists. I'm worried about them being wrong. Those are two completely different things. I think it's a very bad thing when the Court stands back and says, we're not gonna we're not gonna interfere, We're gonna let the government violate your rights and we're not going to do anything about it, because we don't want to have activist judges. I think that's a terrible idea. Anyway. What I think we're seeing is that the Supreme Court is trying to offload some of its work to these lower courts, and so they are taking fewer of those cases and not necessarily deciding them as quickly as as otherwise. They just don't want to have their fingerprints on it. Yeah, and well, because they they buy this notion that unelected judges shouldn't have all this power. Okay, and again I of course, of course nobody should do things wrong if they're in government. But the idea that that judicial activism is a serious threat is wildly overbrown, overblown. Congress and the President violate your rights on an hourly basis in this country. I'm far more worried about them than I am about the courts. The courts are so they have very little power or all they can do is pronounce what the law is. The Congress and the president can resist them very powerfully. But when the Congress does stuff and the President does stuff, the violate your rights, and the Court folds its hands and says, we're not going to do anything about that because we don't want to be activist judges. That's a breakdown in our constitutional system that was never intended to be that way.
Speaker 2: How often, and then, obviously this is a complete opinion, a judgment opinion, But how often does the Supreme Court make mistakes?
Speaker 1: Do you think, oh, they get it wrong, Yeah, they get things wrong very frequently. But oh, nowadays I would say I think they get things wrong about Oh, I guess forty percent of the time. But I guess it depends on whether you mean get things wrong by not doing things that I wish they would do, as opposed to doing things that I wish they wouldn't do. I mean, there's a lot of stuff where like I'm, for instance, I'm not an originalist. You know. The originalism is this big popular trend right now where these judges are like, well, what the Founding's fathers thought that the Constitution meant is what it'll meant for all time, And that sounds plausible at first, but when you get down to it, it's just not how language really works. And so you know, for that reason, I also find myself disagree with a lot of people on my own side. I love Justice Thomas, for instance, but I find that I disagree with him about a lot of things. I don't think that, you know, our constitutional rights should be interpreted in accordance with what the Puritans thought when they landed in Massachusetts, and this we do you call what you are? I don't know. I have to That's the best word that I've been able to find for what I am. Okay, yeah, Yeah, I'm hoping to figure this out. I have a big paper that's coming out later this year that we're all talk about this, and maybe that'll help me figure out what the title is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So on the how often do they get it wrong? It reminds me of the like when they do the right track wrong track? You know, is the country going the right direction wrong direction? And the number's really high, Well, half the people want it to be further left, and have the people want to be further right, So it doesn't really tell you anything that's right.
Speaker 1: That's why the government should have less power over our lives, because we don't want those crazy people over there, whoever they might be, to control oh what I get to do with my life. And that's the whole benefit of limited constitutional government is that you get to decide your own life in your own way, and other people don't get to come in and tell you how to live what they think is your proper life. And unfortunately neither party today believes in that. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: The less the government is involved, the less it matters whether they get it right or on.
Speaker 1: Because they're not deciding for me. The people sometimes say, well, yeah, I've had this happen to me. But Tim, yeah, you believe in freedom, but that's an optimistic view of human nature. You think people are good and that they're going to do good things with freedom. No, it's exactly the opposite. I believe in freedom because I don't trust other people to be to make the right decisions from my life. I think other people are often ignorant, they're very foolish. Sometimes sometimes they're corrupt, they're bribed, they don't know what they're doing, and they'll make mistakes. So their mistakes should be confined to their own lives. They shouldn't be allowed to inflict their mistakes on my life. That's the argument for freedom. That's a good point to end on.
Speaker 2: Another excellent point from Tim Sandffer, as he's done where we figured it out like twenty years yes on the Armstrong and Getty went a year as we all enter the winter of our lives.
Speaker 1: So thanks for your time, Tim, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Police say two suspects ambushed to Florida couple at gunpoint near Tampa. Almost two months later, please say they've now caught the attackers thanks to something very small taped under the victim's vehicle.
Speaker 1: The search of.
Speaker 3: Their vehicle, our detectives did find that Apple AirTag. The Hillsborough County Sheriff's offices records tied that hidden Apple AirTag to twenty six year old Luis Enrique Charles, who was.
Speaker 1: Arrested last week.
Speaker 3: Apple's website spells out how people can get alerts about nearby tracking devices like air tags.
Speaker 1: Typically, it's on your settings whether you can be notified, whether the AirTag pops in on your phone or not. Yeah, it's interesting the Apple AirTag.
Speaker 2: I mean, when I was a kid, the idea of owning a tracking device that you could have put on somebody's car or luggage or whatever would have been so James Bond and crazy. Yeah, and scary and dangerous. And now everybody's got access to one. But I keep forgetting. Yeah, you there's a setting and I should do this on my phone. There's a setting where you can see if there are Apple tags nearby.
Speaker 1: I have it turned on. Yeah, all women should. Nobody's trying to get to me.
Speaker 2: Uh but never no, but yeah, it'd be it's good to know if somebody has decided. God, I would think, yeah, if you're a woman, you got to have it turned on, Yeah, the idea every time you leave a night nightclub, the concern that the guy that kept asking to dance and you kept saying no is slipped an Apple tag into your car or purse or whatever. H Oh my god, brave New world. We're talking about scams a little bit earlier. And it wasn't just for the web route commercials that were regularly doing to try to deal with getting hacked and whatnot. It just we're all confronted with this so many times per day. Every one of us gets up and deletes like ten emails that are clearly attempts to steal from us, or texts on your phone or whatever else. Got this text id theft. There were three student loans opened in my name that I've been trying to clear for over a year. I've filled out and submitted copious amounts of paperwork, and the latest request from the lender is for a copy of my high school to diploma to prove who I am. I don't know about you, but I can't lay my hands on my high school diploma.
Speaker 1: Oh geez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this person said, I'm sixty five years old and I'm not doing the footwork to acquire a copy of my effing.
Speaker 1: High school diploma.
Speaker 2: Since I don't need to care about my credit score, I'll die with these loans of my credit report. Oh and my credit has been supposedly frozen for years in order to avoid such an occurrence. That's what they always tell you, freeze your credit thing if you're worried about your stuff being hacked.
Speaker 1: But it's funny.
Speaker 2: We had to do this the other day for our company insurance where we had to prove all kinds of different things and I needed to come up with birth certificates and marriage certificates and various things that I didn't know where they were, but I finally laid my hands on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to find those things.
Speaker 2: It's you never think about where they are until it's like down to the wire. Well, some of y'all are very like my mom always was super organized and no always knew where everything was all the time.
Speaker 1: But I'm not that person. That's a pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: I was great talking to Tim the lawyer, always is and I always like his points when he gets to stuff like he did there At the end, that it all comes down to, we want the government involved in our lives. As little as possible because they're so susceptible to being well to being human beings, and human beings can either have poor judgment, be corrupt, become corrupt, whatever the situation is, be wacky ideologically in a way that you don't agree. So you want and you know you want them making decisions for you as little as possible. And that's what it all comes down to, if you lean right in my opinion, you want the least amount of local, state, federal government involved in making decisions for your life, other than in cases where you know it's keeping you from harming someone else. But that is not the direction that the country seems to be going as we add more and more to our tax code and more laws and federal laws and all these different sorts of things. What's that There's a saying out there and there, I think somebody even wrote a book how many federal laws the average person violates on a daily basis, Multiple federal laws that you violate on a daily basis, because there are so many. And then you get into the world of just find me the man and I'll find the crime if you want to get somebody, and law fare and that sort of thing. At all levels of government. Just fantastic.
Speaker 1: Anyway, We're going to.
Speaker 2: Talk to Katie's dad in an hour three for the oddest of reasons. It's not because he used to be a judge. It's because he used to being an embalmer. He used to embalm dead bodies and then dress them. I just have questions about that, among other things on the way if he missed the second the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty