Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff. You're weekly reminder that I have a podcast that comes out twice a week, so it's actually twice a week reminder that I have a podcast. It's also a show where we talk about stuff, and we talk about that stuff, usually to a guest. And this week my guest is Katabugazala, and she's cool and she's my guest, and she's also running for I keep thinking Congress means senate.
Speaker 1: I'm running for the US House. Yeah, the ninth District of Illinois. And Hi, I'm Kat.
Speaker 2: Nice to have you. We also have a producer named Sophie Hi. Sophie Hi, Sophie Hi, and our audio engineer is Eva Hi Eva Hi Hi.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to our voices are The musical.
Speaker 2: Was written force by un Woman. And this is part two on another episode about the things they're trying to take away from us, in this case Habeas corpus Uka. They're not allowed to throw you in jail unless they think you did something, which is such a fundamental right that they literally didn't even think they had to explain it in the fucking Constitution. They only had to explain how to suspend it in the time of crisis. In part one, we talked about hard boiled egg, who wants to take it away from everyone? And I'm just actually not above making fun of certain people. I like, I guess I never really thought it was above making fun of certain people. I think when people are trying to eradicate you, that's like a nice thing you can do is only make fun of them. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: As someone that grew up conservative, like someone comes in good faith, like if you're ignorant, Like yeah, like ignorance itself, Like you don't know what you don't know. I mean I didn't know about like the Dakota people being executed. I had no idea about that. Yeah. But like if someone's trying to tell you to justify your existence, you don't have to do that. Yeah, we should just understand that we don't need to take in good faith and as people are idiots.
Speaker 2: I think that's such a good point. Is like specifically around good faith, is like there are people who like don't know things, and I don't know things. I learned that every week. I read a ton of books and essays and articles every week, and I learned so many new things. And yeah, if you can engage with someone in good faith, engage with them in good faith. I do believe in talking to people and figuring out our differences and shit, and some people are trying to kill us all and I'm being real nice if all I do is call them hard boiled eggs, you know. Yeah, some part one we talked about Stephen Miller and Trump administration talking about getting rid of the most basic right in the concept of a legal system. And so we're talking about where that concept of a legal system came from English common law, which means we have to talk about England, which historically is not my favorite thing, but sometimes it's kind of interesting. And it's interesting when you don't look at so and so begat so and so and then they built an army to fight so and so, but instead look about like what peasants were doing, and the fact that everyone started off not as colonial people, even the English, because they were called the British at the time. Okay, British history a long ass time ago, like BCE or whatever. Celtic people lived on the island. They weren't the first people to live there or whatever. But we're going to start with them. The southern trunk of the island what's now England was a Celtic group of people known as the Britons. They spoke the Celtic language Brittonic. In forty three AD, Rome was like you're in the Empire now, and they called it Britannia and they held it until the early four hundreds. Usually when people talk about Rome leaving because people call the time afterwards the Dark Ages, which is a lie, and every historian will roll their eyes if you say the Dark Ages. But I really like it because it's really metal sounding, but it's presented as this abandonment, right the Romans were busy elsewhere, they couldn't keep up the colony. Britannia fell into ruin in darkness, but at least one historian I've read a man named Tony Dyer who's pamphlet Anglo Saxon Democracy. We're actually going to talk about him and what he's up to these days at the very end of this episode. It's actually really interesting. He wrote a pamphlet called Anglo Saxon Democracy about fifteen years ago. It's one of my main sources for this part of the story, and it presents a very different example of how even the Roman abandonment could have gone down in three eighty three. This is what I was saying earlier about I live in the past instead of the present. I'm like, I spent all day reading about three eighty three AD or whatever. I'm like, I don't know what's happening in the twenty first century. In three eighty three, Rome started pulling back its troops because they were needed elsewhere. And then in the year four oh six, the quote unquote barbarians crossed the Rhine and started heading towards Rome. So by fourteen ten there's barely any troops left in Britannia. Basically, by fourteen ten, the Romano British, because they're no longer just the British. They've integrated with each other in various ways over hundreds of years. They're like, get the fuck out of here, we can do this for ourselves, right, And there's this whole movement I hope to come back to on this show, mostly in Gaul what's now France, especially Brittany, the chunk of northwest France. That shit confused me for a million years. The fact that the Normans do get their name from Norway, but they're from France, and then Britannia is part of France. It's just like it's fucking speaking of not having enough names, a bunch of people teamed up into massive peasant armies the bakude from a Gaulish word for fighters, and these were people who are tired of high taxes and low benefits basically like Rome coming and taking their money and not actually providing social services, because governments should provide social services. That's the exchange for taxes.
Speaker 1: Hello, yeah, say it again. Brought up people in the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there's a lot of upright scenes if you don't give people social services and just take their money.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things too where people are like like the libertarian right is just like, oh, taxes are the problem, and you're like, well, tax is the fun. Certain shit is like I don't mind that we all collectively keep the roads maintained and make sure people have houses and don't die. That sounds great.
Speaker 1: I think that's good. Yeah yeah, but like what if we all like paid our fair share, like all of us, like every one of us to live in a society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it wasn't a way to extract money from people and put it towards it, like, oh, I don't know fucking Elon Musk's various schemes to take money from the government for carbon credits or whatever.
Speaker 1: As someone that was laid off because of Elon Musk and just finish my taxes as a freelancer.
Speaker 2: Ooh, you got to pay double.
Speaker 1: I got to pay double and I am on a payment plan with IRS. Oh fuck yep, first year I've had to do that. Yeah, check out my financial disclosures if you're curious. Seeing an independent contractor and having to pay taxes in this country is defly a villain origin story. That's like yeah, yeah, it's wild. And then like having to fill out of public financial disclosure form like the House Ethics Committee like you have interest and it's like one to two hundred dollars and like the House Ethics Committee literally is like you're a broke bitch. Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So independent contractors paid double taxes and do whatever everything.
Speaker 1: Podcasters in Old England were also doing.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, exactly. Yeah, And we know about these peasant uprisings in France and we also know that they kind of went to Spain, like a lot of places at the fringes of the Roman Empire. The argument is that they were probably there in England. There's not a lot of written sources during the quote unquote dark ages, and that is the one part that is true. Is the first couple hundred years after the Romans leap, there's like not a lot of people writing shit down. But people are like, we don't like fucking giving roam our money and not getting anything back. And some of those people were enslaved who joined these peasant armies, and so they had an extra reason to hate the economic arrangement of the time that said, getting rid of Rome does not get rid of slavery. Slavery stays threat the entire story we're telling, it starts transitioning to more like surf, dumb and stuff in the eleventh century. Anyway, people argue about the intentions of the Bakudai, who I don't know how to pronounce because it looks like a Latin thing, but it's actually from a Gaulish word, and I don't fucking understand Gaulish. But people try to argue and like slot them into various things. They're nationalists, they're the people who love France, and they're therefore probably fascist, but in a good way. According to that story, they're Marxists, they're Christians. There's a lot of people, i'm sure, who are arguing that they're like anti civilization pagans, but in a good way. Whatever. They're peasant uprisings. I like them. I don't know what the fuck they're doing. They seem to have wanted to return to pre Roman traditional methods of cooperative land ownership, and it's quite likely that the British equivalent was part of driving the Roman government off the island. And I'm going to say the Roman government because it doesn't seem to have been about driving the Roman ethnicity off the island, because modern conceptions about ethnic purity don't apply well to pre modern people. And I know probably a lot of right wing dick bags aren't listening to this show. But if you are and you romanticize, like ye old the Dark aged sword shit, you're just wrong if you then turn it to Nazi shit. Is my argument. The Roman government's gone now the Romano British people remain, and that's when they start doing really cool shit. First they have to get by some accounts invaded by modern historical understandings they just get all ethnically and culturally mixed up. Is a combination of rating and migration from the Angles and the Saxons. The origin of the Anglo Saxons or these two Germanic groups. Another term that historians generally hate is Anglo Saxons.
Speaker 1: Really, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of interesting to me. Okay. They absolutely agree that there were Angles and Saxons, and they are Germanic people, and they started living in France and England basically, and they started settling a bunch of places, but they didn't replace the population. They're only a tiny percentage of the population. And so there is a cultural thing of like the Germanic influence, but it's not as much as people think. And so everyone who's like a proud Anglo Saxon from England probably isn't. They're probably just wrong. And I think that's funny because then the Wasps aren't actually wasps, and the Angles and the Saxons they start invading and settling a bunch of places. The Saxons actually started arriving before Rome even left, but it wasn't quite colonization. They would settle somewhere and the culture would shift but not in a like you're part of the Roman Empire now it wasn't like haha, the Germanic Empire has expanded the same Germanic groups are similar ones like the Franks started showing up in gaul what's now frank Sorry France, but the France comes from the word Frank, right, the Franks gave their name to France, and therefore the name of the French language. But interesting at least to me, and possibly that's that. What else? But I find this shit fucking fascinating. French itself, the language doesn't come from the Frankish Germanic language. French the language because it's a Romance language, right, whereas English is a Germanic language. French mixes Vulgar Latin with Gaulish in its roots.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the funny pronunciation of France it's very different than all the other Romance languages. Yeah, I think that's the Gaulish influence. But I read a bunch of articles about it, and they're all written for linguists. I'm not a linguist.
Speaker 1: Someone that's a linguist listening to this tag me and backpi this last note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you're telling us that we're wrong. It's okay.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything. It would be you that's wrong. Yeah, because once again on.
Speaker 2: Perfect Actually you sent the script to me before we started. How can we am I not supposed to tell anyone that that you wrote this, that.
Speaker 1: I wrote this? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I wrote this. Yeah, this is what I've been studying my congressional campaign on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely none of that is true for the people who take everything too literally. In England, it was the Germanic language that won out English. The language wiped out the Celtic language of Brittonic, although Welsh survived as an offshoot of this.
Speaker 1: Oh but Brittonic is such a cool name. I know that's also an envy name for sure, one hundred percent right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And it was someone who was named Brittany and they changed their name to Brittonic and I support you.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: So because English one, people tend to assume, oh, they got rid of the Britons, right, they're wiped out, and that's just not true at all. Modern DNA analysis confirms this. To quote that historian Tony Dyer quote, rather than a mass genocide and almost total population replacement to create England, The reality is that even in England, the Anglo Saxons remained a minority, outnumbered by Romano British quote unquote natives. In fact, many geneticists now agree that somewhere in the region of seventy percent of the genetic makeup of the population of England can be traced back to the Paleolithic period hunter gatherer population, basically meaning that these invasions added slightly to the genetic diversity but didn't wipe anyone out.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally right. I don't like playing games about genetics and bloodlines is like a general rule. But it's important that a popular understanding of this era tends to be wrong, and that basically people who are like, ah, this is the way it is and has always been, the strong replaced the weak, you know, like the fucking conquered not stolen people. Have you ever seen these? I don't know how much of your time you spend countering Nazi graffiti, but there's like stickers that Nazis put up that say conquered, not stolen with a picture of America, you know, and they're like, this is just the way it is, this is our human animal nature. No, you're just fucking Nazis right, Like, there are examples of this happening throughout time, but there's so many examples of even like fucking Viking ass raiders who kill and slave and do all kinds of horrible shit, still not genociding people to replace them, but instead eventually cohabitating the area. No modern comparisons need to be drawn about any current geopolitical.
Speaker 1: Everything has only happened one time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, So these dreaded dark ages come and popular imagination has a time of chaos and anarchy and bloodshed and everyone getting wiped out and rule of the week by the strong, until one day all power will be centralized and everyone becomes Christian and monarchy sets everyone straight. But that's not what said everyone's straight. What set everyone straight was the sweet, sweet deals that we are offering you are listeners, where actually there's almost never any deals in any of our ads.
Speaker 1: They've gone through millennia to come here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. That's why this episode is brought to you by the well I forget the name of it, and so the sponsor is going to be mad, But I belie leave the Celts. I think it was the Celts, but maybe it was the picks. I don't know. They had a throwing axe and it was really neat and the people at the front of the battle would throw the throwing axe and it would bounce, and everyone's gonna be mad at me for not knowing the name of this.
Speaker 1: I want to bounce you throwing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you throw the axe as you're like running into battle, usually naked, maybe be covered in blue or whatever, and then it would bounce and then it would kind of like cause chaos as it bounced through the ranks of the enemy.
Speaker 1: I just have like a very large axe that Robert gave me. That sounds faut, right, Yeah, that's pretty good. It's engraved on one side it says fuck you and on the other side it says pay me. It's really kind of amazing. But I don't think it would bounce because it weighs more than Anderson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say, if you ever have to home defend, don't use that because it'll look really bad for your self defense case.
Speaker 1: Here's ads.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are and we're back, and I want to apologize, dear listener, I have led you astray. I implied that the Francesca the throwing acts that I was just discussing. I implied that it was Celtic. It was not. It was traumatic. It gets its name from the Franks, so really just the opposite side of the conflicts. I was just discussing. And one, I know, they're really pretty. They have a kind of a curved head a little bit. They're like, they're cool. Yeah. Anyway, I just want to apologize to Francesca. Anyone named Francesca. You have a pretty cool name. You can be thrown into battle and cause chaos among the enemies, which is a neat thing to be able to do. Or you can wield a Francesca as Francesca. You have so many options. Anyway, instead of actually being a period of there is warfare and shit, like it's not like peaceful happy times, but like you actually have a period that has the origins of a lot of the better parts of Western political structure, because when peasants and shit kick roam the fuck out, they return to what can be understood as a plan or tribal structure by and large, Specifically, to quote Tony Dyer again, quote it is probable, and a lot of the probables around the seat. He provides tons of evidence and shit that I'm just not going to get into about like where there's mounds and forests and what has been abandoned and what hasn't or whatever. But there again, not a lot of writing during this period. It is probable that following the end of the Roman occupation of Britain, the local population regained control of their own territories, returning to a form of governance based on kindred groups working with other kindred groups, and a relationship in which local people made local decisions whilst also contributing to a wider political territory. And so the reason I'm calling it bottom up instead of just like purely decentralized is most decisions are happening at all local level, and some decisions are happening at a larger level. Just like No, yeah, I mean I would argue that we're kind of top down.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I've been like a lot of like really impactful stuff that you don't even hear about topics with the local and state life.
Speaker 2: No, totally, And like a very good and active thing that needs to be done is to continue to try and remind democracy that it fundamentally should be a bottom up thing, or it is a less democratic The more top down it is, the less democratic it is. And this is a pattern I've seen again and again, no matter what time or place I look. When you get rid of empire, what replaces it is rarely warlordism, although I think it is sometimes warloadism, and I just won't read those books as much. But you get time and time again bottom up democratic assemblies, and no one ever talks about community assemblies, and then how they start federating with one another to make larger decisions. But this happens over and over again, and that's what they were doing in Dark Age is Britain to greater or lesser degrees. And you can trace a direct path, and I'm going to over the next however long we're continue to record, you can trace a direct path from these local assemblies to the modern parliamentary system of Western democracy, and you would form kinship groups, and those groups would form larger groups. And specifically, these groups have a lot of what we talk about a lot on the show, the commons, the thing that gets stolen from us by the enclosure, which is in this ye oldly dark Age. I'm gonna keep calling it the dark Ages. So every historian's already mad at me, But it's just like the nice period of Gothic spookytom and the sun never came out. Well yeah, I know, Well it was England. I've only been there a couple of times. And when I like Land, you just like move through a sea of clouds and then just like are like in the soup of England when you get there. Nearly all privately owned land and resources were owned by an entire clan. There was like private ownership of land, but it was communal private ownership of land or potentially a whole village. But everything that wasn't privately owned was the commons. Places you could graze your sheep, woods, you could go hunt and gather wooden rivers to fishing. And importantly, this structure looks a lot like what both Celtic and Germanic groups would be familiar with going back to at least the second millennium BC. So the Britons, the Angles, and the Saxons could all be like, ah, this just makes sense. We don't have a fucking empire over us anymore, so we go back to doing this thing. And this part matters to me because again, like anytime I read about like the idyllic folk past or whatever they literally get called folk, moot the organizations they have. I worry about the kind of shit that Nazis like romanticizing. So I want to point out again to my imaginary Nazi listeners made it this far.
Speaker 1: Nazis love those podcasts, obviously.
Speaker 2: I know, right, I will say, compared to like writing, very few people hate listen to podcasts, and I think that's saved me a lot of trouble.
Speaker 1: Like listening to a whole last podcast. Yeah, to hate listen, that's just exhawesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you did media the right wing shit for a very long time. You did that hard one, so I would know exactly. So anyone hate listening, you might be thinking. Yees see, when they kicked out the Roman foreigner, they had a good idyllic utopia. Again, First of all, they didn't kick out ethnically Roman people. A lot of them were ethnically Roman. They moved to a traditional style of governance for their own area. But both Germanic and Celtic traditions have a bunch of laws saying that strangers are welcome to become members and like citizens and even nobility in any of these groups. So fuck you Nazus.
Speaker 1: How do you become nobility? Oh?
Speaker 2: I want to find more about it. I was like that part. I tried to look a little bit more. I think that there's this idea that be really hot. Yeah, honestly, probably a lot of the like becoming nobility in a smaller area is around the sort of person in charge giving you like special privileges or whatever and being like you're my favorite basically, and it does fight against the egalitarianism of this area. And there's this give and take between egalitarianism and a noble system that's like constantly happening. But probably the answers that be really hot. Yeah, actually, okay, I know anthropology is really dangerous when you like compare one group to another, right, But in our episodes about the weird pirate utopias on Madagascar, it did talk about a lot of people becoming nobility not by showing up and being like haha, I'm in charge, but literally by showing up and being like I am now part of your organizational system and people being like, great, you're like a weird foreigner. You're a noble now because you're interesting, you have different stories and shit. Yeah, and there's a lot of like chiefs marrying their daughters to foreigners and stuff like that, and so it might be through a similar way. But whenever you compare anthropologies, you're playing dangerous games. So a regional level above this hyper local level, which was the kingdom, which was not like England. Yet there's all these little kingdoms and there's general a king. I'm not a big fan of kings. Historically, Tolkien would fucking love this shit and probably did. This is probably how he because he's like a weird anarcho monarchist, which is absolutely a contradiction in terms, but he's interesting in the strange guy. When you imagine a king of England, you're imagining wrong. When you imagine these folks at the beginning, by the end of this era, you're thinking, right. There was a council of wise men, the Watan especially what you're running for, and they would meet at the witten Moot to advise the king and serve basically as the highest court in the kingdom, and most likely they met to elect the king. There's arguing among historians about whether or not kings during this era were elected directly by the Wittan, or the Wittan would get together to sign off on like yeah, yeah, the king's eldest son is the heir as like a formality. But a tenth century abbot named Alfrick, which is a good name. It's got that ae at the beginning. Bring that back, don't. It's probably bad. It's everyone he probably wants to do. That is bad, but it's not boring. Alfrek wrote, quote, no man can make himself king, but the people has the choice to choose as king whom they please. But after he is consecrated as king, he then has dominion over the people and they cannot shake his yoke off their necks. So the Witan, though, actually did depose at least two kings in the eighth century. They were like, no, you're not doing right, bias, you gotta go. The king in this period had a mandate from the people, and so there is a comparison that can be made to these early kings with a mandate from the people to a modern politician. That can't be made to a later king right only centuries later, as the Church gains more power, does the mandate explicitly come from heaven instead the earlier kings were selected ostensibly. I'm sure that this was absolutely corrupt, and they're shitty kings everywhere. And I'm not defending monarchy, but the earlier kings were selected because people were like, we want someone to keep us safe and keep this whole place peaceful. We think this guy will do it. Over the centuries, as Tolkien predicted, power will corrupt people. The kings will start amassing more and more power. In the earliest days of this, you don't actually owe the king anything unless he shows up, Like you just kind of most of the year, you're these autonomous villages doing your own autonomous thing, and then every now and then the king rolls through and he's like, hey, I'm the king, and people are like, huh, all right, I guess you're in charge today. How long are you stay in You're gonna be here long And they're like, you know, they give him us taxes and shit, and it's like having really annoying in laws. Yeah, totally, the king is you're in laws. You can have some of our stuff and be in charge for a minute. I guess, because by and large, more of the power resided, even though there's the higher court. More power resided not with the wits and moot, but with the folk moot, the people's gathering, the assembly. Basically these were at much smaller levels. I am unclear who could vote in these assemblies. The inference again not a lot of writing. The inference is that it was free men because there's slavery in this period, although most slavery in Britain during this period is not people in these villages owning people, but instead people in these villages getting stolen and sold. So hooray, and women were likely allowed to be there but not vote. Is the best I can tell by comparing if it's analogous to an Icelandic thing that we do have more information about anyway, the other Germanic ones, these assemblies, they weren't called vocalots. They were called things, and that's where the word thing comes from. So if you're like, hey, you go into the thing, you're actually more accurate than if you're like, hey, can you hand me the thing? Because the thing was a gathering.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love learning etymology like those.
Speaker 2: I know, and like half of this is just about like, isn't language neat The folk moot would meet to sort out the taxes and conscription into the army, and hear out grievances basically to put people on trial. These were trials based on evidence and testimony and involve neutral third parties. So this idea of like, ah, back in the day, it was Game of thrones, and whoever had the biggest sword is innocent or whatever. It's not the thing. That's not what happens at the thing. Thank you, thank you, I appreciate it to laugh. And these were trials based on evidence, and then everyone involved, everyone who had voting power at the thing, they would all vote on the verdict, and it wasn't like innocent or guilty, but instead, okay, what do we do with this situation?
Speaker 1: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Because it wasn't a punitive legal system, it was a I can't really say it was like a restorative Actually probably would have identified as more of a restorative justice system. I'm not trying to claim it's perfect. I get you, but we literally can watch pative trials come in hundreds of years later. The punishment was usually a fine of some sort, which is best as I can understands. You then swear an oath to make the victim hole again or their family hole again if you killed someone or whatever. Right, and this oath that you've sworn. Both sides of your parents' family is also on the hook for it. So you do something bad, you get fined a ton of money. Not only are you on the hook for it, but so are like all your aunts and uncles and your parents, and so they're all mad as shit at you. And so that's kind of part of how it handles making people be better, is you don't want to drag your entire family into this. Yeah, such oaths were not taken lightly. At the beginning of this Everyone's a Pagan. By the end of this, everyone's a Christian. Everyone involved takes oaths very seriously. To quote the historian hr Loin quote, a freeman in one of our early territorial kingdoms still bore the characteristics of a free member of a tribe. He was oath worthy and weapon worthy, a person of repute, possessed of a free kindred, and capable of playing a full part in the army in the courts. Such a part involved much more active self help than would have been considered proper or seemly in a later age. He fulfilled his duties without an elaborate hierarchy or officialdom to sustain him and they actually started with the folk moots and then developed the Witten moot, the bigger one. Well actually I don't know if it's like physically bigger, but the bigger region one. And this is the fucking origin of the idea of parliament for England, and therefore everywhere that England colonized and sent all of its good and bad ideas to people. Have it backwards. There wasn't autocracy, and then slowly people added layers of democracy. It was that they added layers of hierarchy to their democracy in an effort to make larger scale decisions, probably for good reasons, but power corrupts and sla The kings centralize their authority, usually through the need to raise and maintain militaries. However, the power that has corrupted us is the power that could be available to you through purchasing the goods and services that support this show. Because that's how we all got where we are today, was doing whatever the next ad tells us to do. Hi, Margaret Kiljoy, here boy. The world sure is a mess right now?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: Seems like every day there are more and more reasons to get out into the streets and protest. That's why when I get arrested, there's only one strategy. I trust, I shut the fuck up. I say, I would like to remain silent, I would like to talk to my lawyer, and then I shut the fuck up. In the United States of America, it's constitutionally protected and recommended by the National Lawyers Guild. That's shut thch f u c k up. Once again, that sah thche fuc k up. Because you can't talk yourself out of custody, but you can talk yourself into a conviction.
Speaker 3: Providing identification to law enforcement required in some states and situations giving them an address expedient in most circumstances. Never discuss the events leading to arrest with anyone except your lawyer, doctor, or therapist. Posting pictures of protests and actions on social media may lead to complications. If you have already talked to cops or experienced confusion about talking to cops, call your attorney immediately, as these may be signs of more serious legal problems. The concept of not talking to cops does not provide legal advice, and the foregoing statements are for informational purposes only. If you have specific legal questions, consult an attorney.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Slowly, the system of democracy started getting corupted by hierarchy and autocracy. After a while, the Folkmot became the Hundred, which is a very hard term to google. I'll have you know. Usually what I do is I read about things in books whenever possible. But then I like books have like just to tell you how the sausage is made of the historical research I do for the show, Dear Listener, the books will have the more in depth information and often the like more complicated takes, but because they're just literally older, like because I can't read a book that was written yesterday, I can. Yeah, no, I know it is because you're perfect, which is honestly impressive that you're able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then I'm like searching more information about this. So I'm like reading about how the Folkmot became the hundred, and you know this piece I'm reading Anglo Saxon Democracy by Tony Dyer. And then I'm like, all right, I need to know more about that transition because I have this one perspective and I try and compare with multiple perspectives, and I wasn't able to find as much about that transition just partly because an organization called the Hundred it's fucking hard to google. I'm like, but why isn't there more readily available information about this thing that happened in one part of England and seven hundreds hyper fixations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: That's what people don't understand about a history podcast is that it only if your brain is set up to hyper fixate on a new thing every week. So anyway, the folk Moot became the Hundred, which is similar to the Folk Moot. The peasants were still in charge, but there's a royal official there running the whole thing, and he's not making the decisions, but he's kind of like the facilitator. And that slowly it's actually developed into the shire system, which is the county system, which is why everything is named sure, you know, like Hampshire whatever. I don't know the names of the counties in England. With the rise of the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church, shit started getting more formalized and more hierarchy was everywhere, and I don't know how to pronounce hierarchy. I apparently the king went from the person that all the wise people agree should probably be in charge of keeping the peace to kings are chosen by God to make Pagans into Christians. And this is where the mandate of heaven comes in. And the job isn't Yeah, different fucking mandates. People don't talk about mandates enough. Like the idea of like being like we elected politician to do this thing on our behalf, you know, it is not we don't elect fucking kings. Well they did, but that also wasn't great, right we elect saying like, hey, we think you'll help to get universal health care. Please go do that, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and try out you can and like do a job and talk to people and ask where they're at and like the house. You know, as the US gets bigger and bigger, it's more difficult to do that totally. But like, if you're asking for this job, you have to, like you have to act. I've been wondering. I'm like, how do people do this for decades and decades? And I'm like, the thing that's becoming very clear to me is, oh, they just don't do a good job, like even if they started for the right reasons. Like, this is tiring and we're two months in and it's very fun and I've met so many cool people, and it's like one of the most fulfilling things I've ever done. But like, first off, you know, the country, the constitution are you know, legal systems should be dynamic and fluid, just like the world. But also like doing this for a really long time, like a really long time and doing it right that has to be like emotionally exhausting, because like empathy is a muscle that you flex and when you're representing like five hundred and seven hundred thousand people, yeah, you got to flex it a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it makes sense because it's like you know, in a smaller scale thing, it's much easier to have a direct mandate a like if I am part of a group that sends someone to a spokes council meeting, we're like, all right, you are there to represent us, and this is our position and that is the position you will take there. But you're coming from a position where like you don't have a consensus mandate. You don't have everyone that you're you know representing, all agreeing on the same thing. It's messy and it's worth using every tool and toolbox to try and make the world a better place. And so so kings mandate to heaven and the kings start meeting out more and metting out, I don't know, giving more shit to certain people. And they're like, oh, you can collect taxes in the following area and own the following chunk of everything, like the commons. It's not the commons now. You can keep it as the Commons if you want, but it's your shit, right folk land. The commons started to become bookland, private land. It basically made lots of little kings, people who could go and take shit from the peasants and tell them what to do. This is the rise of the nobility, which was the king taking a direct note out of the Catholic Church's book. This land allocation wasn't under control of local councils. So the enclosure of the commons, which later led to capitalism, was the death of this period of democracy. And to me that's an important point because most tellings of the story of democracy in Western Europe talk about it starting with the rich people. And I want to say capitalism was the death of democracy or the thing later built to capitalism. And for anyone who's listening, when I say capitalism, I don't mean the idea of buying and selling everything. We don't live in a binary world where you either of the fucking USSR or the USA. Capitalism whatever, capitalism is a specific economic system, and it can be questioned. The legal system becomes much more strictly formalized. Common law basically means law that's built up by precedent rather than the legislation. Legislation starts becoming more common and instead of compensating victims, criminal justice moved to become more punitive. Suddenly way more shit had the death penalty. I did while like, I was like reading this glowing thing about Anglo Saxon democracy, and I was like, was this the downside here? And so I read a lot more about slavery. And one of the things that could happen is if you owe someone a lot of money, you basically saw yourself and the like ostensibly non punitive system led to sometimes the punitive thing of people being owned by people. And yeah, all the people who have been given all this fucking land and the right to tax people, the nobles in the church got wealthy as shit. The next nail in the folk coffin was the Viking invasions of the nine hundreds, which led to a massive restructuring of England to support the military to defend against the raiders. To quote Tony Dyer again quote, the peasant's status began to change from that of a free farmer to that of a subject tenant with significant ongoing obligations of rent and service to his lord. And then the final nail didn't come from within England, though England was clearly moving in a more autocratic direction with its monarchy. The final nail was the Norman conquest of ten sixty six. Normandy is part of the northwest of France and in the tenth century some Vikings settled there and then christianized, and then in ten sixty six a fuck ton of them invaded England, the Normans, and they were successful and brutal, and they built pasty.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine a race named Norman. We have Frank, we have Norman, Like, what's next the Garys.
Speaker 2: I know? And then the Garys are just murdering everyone you've ever met. Yeah, not a good point that he's like the most standard ass boring names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like this is the Steves. Yeah, oh no, the Ryans are coming.
Speaker 2: From All of their hair is surprisingly well kempt Brittonic they're defeated by the non binary army of the Brittonics. And yeah, so suddenly castles go from and again this is an oversimplification, but castles go from being there to like protect the population from invasion to subjugating the population and being like, now where the the autocrats running around in our little dystopia we're building, and we know that this case they actually did successfully not change all of ethnicity, but like conquer the economy. There's a book called the Domesday Book, and it's an eleventh century record book of like taxes and shit. It's just like who owns what, and essentially everyone with money was Norman not English, like basically like I think ninety percent of landed people were the Norman invaders. They close a lot of the commons, they enforced the law brutally, and it's Norman rule that becomes the baseline authoritarianism that people, largely rich people, begin to rebel against. And so the rich didn't event democracy, they claimed it from the peasantry. That's my thesis, and that when people one writes it wasn't for the first time, it was drawing on something older, something ancient. So when we demand habeas corpus. When we demand that we have a fair system of justice and democracy, we are drawing on something that has existed all over the fucking world that literally predates civilization. And I promise I'll tell you about this guy, Tony Dyer. Oh yeah, I haven't had any named like cool people this whole fucking episode the historian. I was like, what's this guy up to now? And so I googled them, and there's a fair number of people named Tony Dyer. But his pamphlet was put out by the Bristol Radical Pamphleteers or something like that, And so I was searching Tony Dyer Bristol and I found that he is a Green Party politician who is currently in charge of the city of Bristol, a city of half a million people. He's not the mayor because the city got rid of the position of mayor. He is the leader of the city council. Now that there is no mayor, the entire city council makes decisions instead.
Speaker 1: That's so cool, I know, I know, that's so cool. And this is like today, like right now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In twenty twenty four, he became the fucking all of the articles about this were from last year, Like that's awesome, And in an interview he said about this system, decisions should be reached by consensus, collaboration, and compromise in a public setting.
Speaker 1: That's how I run cool Zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like and so like I had this moment where I was like, I wonder if this is the same guy, and I'm like, no, this is obviously the same man, because it is what he wrote about as a historian. He wrote about local democracy and making it be as public as possible and as participatory as possible and like a galitarian and shit. Yeah, and I'm sure it is not perfect, but I like it didn't find the imperfect yet. Yeah, if you're listening in Bristol, you might have completely different information. But the Green led city council there has been focusing on removing car infrastructure, improving walking and cycling infrastructure. Some of the interview questions I found with him people being like why do you hate cars? I like my car, you know, and his answers are like, well, actually, you know, we save lives this way and it's better and whatever, and like hey, you're.
Speaker 1: Being on a train. You don't have to do anything. You can read.
Speaker 2: You just fun read a book. You can be listening to this right here. Well, you guess you can listen while driving, but it's less nice.
Speaker 1: You can listen and then stare at the thing going like the little thing that scrubs, which is of how everyone listens to a podcasts. They just stare at the screen and they use it continues.
Speaker 2: But even more than enacting like green and progressive legislation like removing car infrastructure, improving walking and psychling infrastructure, which rules. I am most impressed not by when progressives and leftist politicians enact leftist policies, but when they change the structure of government to become more egalitarian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone who extensively studied the history of the region and saw its radical democratic roots is working to put them into practice. And so the surprise cool person of today is the non mayor of a major city who wrote a pamphlet that I read about ten years ago that fundamentally changed my understanding of a lot of history. Yeah, sick, Yeah, that's what I got. That's Margaret's theory of the development of English common law. That it's like this is not every all over the world. There's people who have democratic traditions that they're drawing on right, and some of them are similar to this and some of them aren't. But unfortunately England then went on to you know, famously draw random lines across the map that caused a huge chunk of all the conflicts that are happening today.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of.
Speaker 2: This is a good I don't know if it's a meme, if it's a video. I'm old there's a good thing. That's like the like the English watching all of the world be destroyed by lines they draw on the map one hundred years ago, and it's a bunch of people in pith helmets like skanking in the desert. It's very good, amazing. So yeah, I don't know any thoughts. How are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I feel good. I think democracy is cool. I mean I didn't know about all this. Like when you think about you know, English democracy, you think the Karta and like this is really interesting. And also the step of a like restorative versus punitive justice and like oaths. It's just it's really fascinating to see how people handle things, and especially in a system where you're not constantly living under fear of having your life ruined by one thing or another, whether that's Stephen Miller coming to arrest you for having darker skin, or you know, crushing debt or whatever else it may be. It's just really interesting to see how different communities can work together and create these systems. And I seriously had no idea about any of those.
Speaker 2: They call it the fucking Dark Ages. They don't talk about it, you know, And yeah, and part of it is because some of it speculative, right, like this is like, yeah, but historians are I'm not a historian. Historians are good at their jobs and it is a science, and they like try to figure out, like we think this is what happened, you know. Yeah, well you got anything you want to plug if you've been up to anything, like I think you're kind of low key and off the radar. I haven't seen anyone attacking wildly on the internet randomly at all times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not really doing anything lately, just kidding. I'm running for Congress, running for Congress in the ninth District of Illinois. If you want to know more about what I'm about, you can go to Catfreillinois dot com. That's Kat with the K. Can you tell that I have said this little spiel quite a few times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, huh, yeah, no, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Today, we just took our as we're recording this or I guess in two days, because we need to make sure that the illusion of time is there. A few days later, Yeah, we made our discords over republic and so you can join that in the volunteer section of our website because we need help from all people, local, remote, We really want to try to do this progressive grassroots approach that's not only like not taking corporate money, but we're trying to spend our money in ways to improve as many lives as we can along the way. So if you've got a few bucks to spare, consider chipping in at Catfreillinois dot com. And if you have some skills or I've thought, why don't politicians do this? Like we want to get creative, we want to get weird. So come volunteer, hang out on the discord and as always, listened to this podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, what else do I want to plug? I don't know, take care of each other, don't let them suspend habeas corpus. And also I can be somewhat sectarian as every leftist or whatever it can be, but it's not. We got to be as careful about as possible. We have to de escalate all conflict that isn't with the enemy. What I try to do is be like, is this person trying to enact systems that kill me and or everyone that I care about and or other people that I've never met that still shouldn't get murdered. And if the answer is no, they're probably not my enemy, and I probably want I'm in conflict with them, rather than trying to find all the ways that they're wrong, try to find common ground.
Speaker 1: Unless their boyfriend is the CEO of The Onion. Oh yeah, no, okay, spark that person. Could you imagine someone running a satire website is dating someone that's just a moral as far as I can you imagine, especially if they've been dating for years? Yeah, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely? I will say though, like it's funny because in my mind, as soon as someone's like, oh, what's the journalistic integrity of the Onion supporting you, I'm like, well, it's not journalism. It is a fucking comedy website.
Speaker 1: It's America's finest news source. Let's be clear here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a lot of Times when the onion is more correct than the New York Times, Like, there's some stuff that I've like. I remember twenty some years ago when Schwarzenegger was elected in California, the onion headline was a strong man elected leader of world's fifth largest economy or whatever. You're just like, yeah, no, that's that's just the news that happened.
Speaker 1: That's just the news that happened.
Speaker 2: So we live in a clown world. So maybe the clown news is the real news. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, to put the clown creators in Congress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, we'll see you all next week. Unless we have no habeas corpus.
Speaker 1: I won't see you next week, but I like seeing you this week, So thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was nice to see you all right, Hi everyone. Bye. Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts on cool Zone Media, visit our website Goolezonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.