Speaker 1: I am all in you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in pop Culture one eleven Productions, iHeart Radio Season five, Episode three, Written in the Stars. I am joined by the one and only you know or your lover, Amy Sugarman.
Speaker 2: Scott, I'm not gonna lie. I'm kind of stoke. That's just you and me today. We've never had that happen first. I'm not mad about it. I know many other people.
Speaker 1: Why would they be mad?
Speaker 2: I think this could be kind of fun. Really, I think this could be kind of fun if we can change it up.
Speaker 1: Let's crush see if we can fill the gaps left behind by those two.
Speaker 2: Let's try to nail so hard that people can only say nice things about us on Instagram, just for this one time, just so they know. Danielle and Tara had to go to a photo shoot. That's why they are not here.
Speaker 1: Very busy, very busy, All right, Lorelei and Rory visiting Richard in his poolhouse or guesthouse, who now lives in the poolhouse and has a new butler.
Speaker 2: Robert Valet. How dare you Valet?
Speaker 1: Valet? Yes, he is a valet. Dare hang on, hang on a second, it's really smarts on the sunburn, laurale I shaken, not stirred. Please, Jeeves Jeeves is a fiction. Are you raising your hand?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Stretch everything you're doing so.
Speaker 1: Far making your tense. You gotta stretch. Jeeves is a fictional character in short stories and novels by English author P. G. Wodehouse, who is famous for his quote, if you want to find out the character of a man, play golf with him?
Speaker 2: Am I a good point? Am I making up that Jeeves was also Richie Rich's valet.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is. I know, I know it's a movie, right.
Speaker 2: It was a Saturday Morning cartoon too, and I'm looking at.
Speaker 1: Up Richie Rich. Was it a Callie Culkin.
Speaker 2: Yes, Macaulay Culkin with Richard Gilmore r ed Herman. Oh thank you Easton. Easton has corrected me that Cadbury Cadbury.
Speaker 1: Cadburry, all right, Jeeves a valet of a wealthy London named Bertie Wooster.
Speaker 2: For not knowing any of that jargon you just said about Jeeves, Jeeves really gotten too the zeitgeist, because I immediately knew shake and not stirred please Jeeves, which also is not bond.
Speaker 1: That's very bond. Yeah, it's kind of bond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well I will continue.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know that Bond ever said that to a butler or a valet.
Speaker 2: He said, yeah, oh, I think he just says it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and waiters and waitresses.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. But the shake and not stir is that from Martini?
Speaker 1: That would be a Martini. I think a jin Martini.
Speaker 2: In the same scene, Laura Leon Roy are having their cocktails with Richard in the pool house. Well, it depends on your definition of crazy. I for one, found the Mariah Carey phone messages to her fans just refreshingly imaginative. Okay, Now, I had forgotten about this, like it reminded me so obviously. Mariah Carey is a pop diva who has sold over two hundred million records, and in the early two thousands, Mariah used to leave voice messages to her fans on her website or something. But I think there were some famous, kind of nutty ones.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I wasn't even aware of this. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: This is a problem. When there's only two of us, you have to really google fast. You have to google fast because there's no one to like. Oh god, I started to write Mariah Jeeves, Oh my god, Mariah.
Speaker 1: There you go. Was the golf.
Speaker 2: It's hard to do they and messages. Let's see if I can find Oh yeah, yeah, it was a little uh, it was a little uh.
Speaker 1: What did she say?
Speaker 2: This is when she had exhaustion?
Speaker 1: What did she say?
Speaker 2: What were the She just seemed nuts.
Speaker 1: So so there's no text from these. You can't read what.
Speaker 2: I think if I could go down deep into the wormhole, but I think then this is when she was exhausted.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay. You know, look, being an entertainer, especially a touring, you know, it's exhausting. I mean, man, I mean I get tired just traveling around meeting people, you know, and it's it's exhausting. I don't even enough to sing.
Speaker 2: But you love kissing babies.
Speaker 1: And hug and ground I love it, but it's tiring, all right, keep it going, it'll take it out of you. Same scene, Laura, I Roy talking about how crazy it is that Richard lives in the poolhouse. Now, Laura, what I'm just saying, two grown men out here alone with Hungarian cheese and swim trunks. Rory Oge's laurelay, don't be so puritanical, after all, Heather has two mommies. Heather Has Two Mommies. As a children's book written by less Late Newman, first published in eighty nine, this story is one of the first pieces of LGB two q plus children's literature to garner broad attention.
Speaker 2: Wonderful Laura and Roy have now moved to the main house for dinner, and Richard comes in to look for something to study, which I thought was hilarious. Make an appointment. Emily gets mad crazy you said it, Patsy Kline, which that was a good one. Patsy is considered one of the most influential vocalists of the twentieth century. She was one of the first country music artists to cross over into pop, and she had a song called Crazy Crazy for Filain.
Speaker 1: So that's good.
Speaker 2: You know what. When Leanne Rimes first came on the scene with Blue, a lot of people made comparisons Crazy was released. I think so, I mean it was a compliment to is.
Speaker 1: She the biggest talent to come out of Idol?
Speaker 2: She was not on Idol. That's Kelly Clarkson.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, who did Who did you say? LeAnn h God, No, I thought you were talking about Kerry Underwood. For some reason, my mind went right to carry.
Speaker 2: Oh you're fine, Carrie Underwood. Okay, let's have this debate in a moment. Let me first tell you that Crazy was released in nineteen sixty one, and it was Patsy's first number one Billboard hit. It would be a big debate to decide whether Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson is the biggest talent to come out of Idol. I think you could also put Jennifer Hudson in that group, even though she didn't win. I mean, Idol has really had some big ones. But I think it's a neck and neck race Carrie Underwood Kelly Clarkson. I'm gonna give it to Kelly Clarkson.
Speaker 1: By a hair because why, uh, she's.
Speaker 2: Sort of a multi hyphen it now, I would say, I mean, she's got the show, she's got the music, she's got the she's on the voice, she's got books. Like, she's just a huge star musically. I think maybe Carrie Underwood's had more hits, might sell more concert tickets. It's a great debate. It's like our French Fried debate of twenty twenty three. What do you think you go and carry?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, Kelly reach out, did me? She just totally rejected me. I feel rejected by Kelly Clarkson. Have issues When I tweeted at her to walt because she had Lauren on, and she goes, she stopped Lauren in midsentence, she goes, Luke can waltz? Luke can waltz? So I tweeted at her. Somebody sent me the clip and I went all right. So I tweeted Kelly Clarkson and I said, have me on Will Watts.
Speaker 2: I bet you never. I bet she never saw your tweet. But I love this story. You love your story.
Speaker 1: Feeling still, I will take it to my grad Feeling rejected by Kelly Clarkson. I'm going to be buried with some of her CDs.
Speaker 2: Think of how many tiktoks and tweets you don't see?
Speaker 1: What a voice? I agree, what a voice? Though Luke is quietly flirting with Laura I at the counter of Luke's Luke's your shoes work well with a shirt, Laura, I G Carson. Thanks. I didn't. I didn't get the reference. I thought she was talking why she mentioned Johnny Carson, Uh, Laura, I was referring to the makeover series Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Carson Kressley was the fashion savant of that group. I have no knowledge of this. You're gonna have to speak on this.
Speaker 2: Now that you've explained it. I really love it because at the time I think that show was massive too. All right, So this is in the same scene. So if you listen to the episode earlier this week, this is where they do the pop culture reference for some kind of wonderful Now, I'm gonna throw poor Jackie a curveball. Jackie, can we pull up the script from the show so that I can explain it working our curve ball? Yeah, there's no Danielle, there's no time I'm throwing our curveball.
Speaker 1: There's smoke coming out of the computer right now.
Speaker 2: Here we go. We're going down.
Speaker 1: She's got it PF search transcripts. She's typing.
Speaker 2: So this is a great example of if you know, you know, as the kids say, so if you knew, you knew when she was doing it. But if you didn't know, you wouldn't know so I shall explain it. So what happens is Laura Lai says, what are we going to do tonight? And Luke says, I've got some thoughts, all right, but no taking me to an art museum after hours and then into an empty Hollywood Bowl where you give me a pair of diamond earrings that you bought with your college money, when all the time you're really in love with your best friend, the drummer who's posing as our driver for the evening. That is literal a plot of some kind of wonderful. So in some kind of wonderful Eric Stolts takes Leah Thompson on this date and he basically spends all his college money on the date, and he takes her to the art museum after hours and then to the Hollywood Bowl. Somehow he gets into the Hollywood Bowl and it's empty, and she gets to be in the beautiful Hollywood Bowl, and then he buys her these beautiful earrings, big diamond earrings. But the whole time he was in love with someone else. And at the end, guess who gets the earrings? The girl he really loved. So I thought that was very very very very funny. If you knew, you knew.
Speaker 1: That's not just some kind of wonderful. That's all kinds of.
Speaker 2: A whole lot of wonderful. And I always sort of had a thing for Eric Stoltz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the original, all right. Emily is complaining about the neighbor's dog. Emily, the Farthington's dogs are apoplectic. Ridiculous choice of animal, a vicious three inch ball of hair and a bow. Ridiculous pink bow for the vicious killers. Oh, watch out. Cecil Beaton and the Duke of Windsor headed straight from my shoes. Cecil Beaten was a British fashion photographer and an Oscar winning stage and costume designer for film of Him and the Theater. He designed the My Fair Lady stage musical, which led to the film version and earned him the Oscar for Best Costume Design.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The Duke Windsor was Edward the Eighth, who later became king, but he had advocated his throne abdicated his throat oh to marry American divorces. The Duke of Windsor was Edward the Eighth, who later became king, but he abdicated his throne to marry American divorce a. Wallace Simpson. His abdication set George the sixth as the king, who was the father of Queen Elizabeth Second, who's the mother of the current king Charles. Hmm, yep, And nobody's talking about them. Are they is his coronation? Uh? Scaled down? Did they scale it down? Sure?
Speaker 2: I asked a great question. I'm not sure when is it?
Speaker 1: It's coming up, it's coming up, right, and so so what's all the is everybody invited? Is Megan and Harry invited?
Speaker 2: I think that's the drama. But I don't know what.
Speaker 1: They put him in the chief seat, You're put them behind the pillars.
Speaker 2: I know that this is a controversial.
Speaker 1: I put Andrew in the basement. He can go, but he's got to be in the basement. Something like that.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a hot man, I'll.
Speaker 1: Tell you what. I'm still waiting for my invitation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe if I get on the Kelly Clarkson Show, I'll gain enough of a following that I could get invited to something.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll watch it. I'll watch it. Maybe Rory runs into Marty moving watch it, You're.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take notes.
Speaker 2: Rory runs into Marty while moving in Marty says, I met Nicole Richie and then spent the next six weeks showering. So Nicole Richie is a celebrity who at the time was starring in the Simple Life of Paris Hilton. I love Nicole Richie, She's Lionel Richie's daughter.
Speaker 1: But at the time, right back in the day.
Speaker 2: Maybe he just had to cleanse himself.
Speaker 1: No, those you know, back in the day, it was a different time, right, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton, these people were not received well.
Speaker 2: Right, they were like, right, it was a different Nicole Richie.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, right, these were not read people that were received well in society, in culture, in the culture.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: I love Letterman was skewing these people. Yes, remember when Letterman had Paris Hilton on and just like tried to humiliate her, Yes, which was kind of his shtick.
Speaker 2: But I mean with her, it was really like kind of cringe. It's like you see it differently now when you watch it back.
Speaker 1: You're like, right, all right, Paris telling Rory about how Asher died Paris he had a heart attack. He was teaching a Shakespeare class at midsembin n I's Dream. He was doing puck and then suddenly he wasn't and the class was so into his reading they didn't even get it. They thought he was acting. It was Dick Sean all over again. Dick Sewan was an actor who was famous. They portrayed Lorenzo Dubois and mel Brooks's nineteen sixty seven film The Producers. On April seventeenth, They of nineteen eighty seven. During her performance That You See San Diego, Sean suffered a heart attack and collapsed face down on the stage. The audience initially assumed that it was part of the act, but after he had remained motionless on the stage for several minutes, a stage hand examined him and asked if a physician was present. He was sixty three years old.
Speaker 2: Goodness, gracious, you know another time that that sort of happened. The Oscars and Will Smith Chris Rock, like a lot of people were like, is this a bit? Like they didn't know.
Speaker 1: I never thought it was a bit, because that slap was just too hard. So I mean that was just like WHOA.
Speaker 2: Harris is back and tells Ry she has Asher's manuscripts and to not tell his granddaughter Sarah. If Sarah finds out it's going to be the Mountain Girl trial all over again. Listen, I want to have a wake. Okay, So I was not familiar with this. Carolyn Garcia, also known as Mountain Girl, is the former wife of Jerry Garcia, the lead vocalist and guitar player for The Grateful Dead. Following Jerry's death, Carolyn was involved in litigation to obtain payments as poor their divorce settlement agreement, ultimately agreeing to a one point two million settlement to avoid further legal costs. Now, are you familiar with this? Because that didn't even clear it up from No.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't clear it up from who was she sewing? She was a former wife? Was she suing the current wife?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm gonna have to look it up now.
Speaker 1: She was trying to get a million too, so much.
Speaker 2: Her research goes got a little lazy town on this one, because I don't get it.
Speaker 1: She was in litigation to obtain payments. Oh, okay, well, no she was. She sued the estate to get payments because they discontinued her her payments. Oh, right after he died, so she had to sue to get her payments and recover her legal costs.
Speaker 2: Carolyn Garcia sued the estate after Deborah Coons Garcia stopped all payments to her shortly after Garcia's death. The guitarist had paid four hundred thousand to his ex wife before his fatal heart attack at age fifty three, leaving four point six million to be paid at a rate of two hundred and fifty thousand a year.
Speaker 1: Chuck in lack the dude, is it my turnout?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: You just read all that Laurai reading the story of Sniffy's Tavern, and it's long. Laura, like Paul Thomas Anderson write this. Paul Thomas Anderson is a director who most recently. His most recent film is Licorice Pizza, and it was nominated for three Asters. At this time, he was known for directing Boogie Knights, Punch, Drunk Love, and Magnoldia.
Speaker 2: So is the bit here that he writes long movies, long scripts, a lot of dialogue. Got It and Luke still together? Laura's joking he's been pining after her because of the horoscope he kept since the day they met. I have not been pining. I'm your Ava Gardner. Ava Gardner was a Hollywood screen siren of the Golden Age of Hollywood. She was married three times, most famously her last was to Frank Sinatra. Lorelai is comparing herself to her because many men pined for her during the height of her film career.
Speaker 1: Now that one that was was considered the most beautiful woman that had ever lived. And when I read a story where Frank Sinatra's daughter went in to her father's study and told him that Ava Gardner had just died, and she said, my dad slumped over in his chair and just wept because he loved her. He loved her and loved her and loved her.
Speaker 2: She's I'm looking her up. I wouldn't have recognized her, but she's real pretty. She's very like Hollywood of that era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was something and I think she she she tried to make him jealous by running off with a bullfighter, a Spanish bullfighter. Nata was tortured by her. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, she was also married to Mickey I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, when when she was younger. Yeah, wow, I actually saw Mickey Rooney in a play in a musical when I was a youngan child. I don't know. My parents took me. He was fantasm was pretty cool the first thing I ever saw. Okay, it's your turn. I don't know, like I said, it's my turn. Logan and Rory talk while she is putting up flyers for Asher Fleming's wake. Logan is making fun of Asher's name, Logan, what were they out of? Orlando Bloom? Orlando Bloom is an actor who in two thousand and one start as Legola in the Lord of the Rings series. Now I'm not sure that, and he's also non for paddling board paddling in Hawaii Naked with Katie Perry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think he was making fun of Asher's name though. I feel like he was just making fun of the fact that, like, she's hanging posters of this old cat, like we're they out of Orlando Bloom. But same scene, Rory and Logan are still talking while putting up the flyers. Rory is calling him out for talking down to Marty. How'd I say it? Like Judy Dench. Judy Dench is a British actress who has portrayed Queen Victoria in the film Missus Brown and Queen Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love. Rory is referring to Logan being above everybody else like a British queen.
Speaker 1: Oh, still going Carele and Luke thought we would have wrapped this on the phone, and they're surprised nobody in town is talking about them dating LAURELEA, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton couldn't go outside without people noticing. Liz Taylor and Richard Burton were married twice, whose relationship was heavily covered through the media. Their second marriage was known as the marriage of the Century. Laurel I is referring to her relationship with Luke not being publicly scrutinized like Liz and Richard. And I think one of the you know, we didn't do favorite lines, but one of my favorite lines in this whole thing is, you know Laura I saying something like how are we going to be like them? And Luke says something, or Laurel I says the line, well, you know, i'd have you'd have to start drinking, and I'd have to gain five hundred pounds. I think Luke said, well, you know, hey, it's just a joke.
Speaker 2: Inside the town hall meeting Gypsy and Andrew arguing about a car accident. You backed up, you didn't look, you got in, you turned on your car and then you whipped out of that space like you were Lizzie Grubman. Now, even though this is a kind of a dig, it was a big story when the Hampton puzz like a publicist or of party. Yeah, socialite, and she went to jail because she suddenly in two thousand and two backed her suv up into a crowd.
Speaker 1: Who knows why, Well, they didn't let her in, right, they she couldn't get in?
Speaker 3: Was that what it was? No?
Speaker 1: Read this stuff, read the stuff. Let's read the stuff. You didn't read this story.
Speaker 2: Lizzie Grubman is a publicist and manager who used to represent I'm not sure she represented all those guys, but she allegedly represented many high profile musicians. In two thousand and two, Grubbin served thirty eight days in jail for an incident where she backed to her Mercedes suv into a crowd injuring sixteen people.
Speaker 1: Yeah up in the Hamptons. Yeah, that one summer, I remember that. I was, yeah, Paris being sad about Asher dying, Paris about Asher Fleming. He's my Mike Todd, Mike Todd, and here we are with Elizabeth Taylor again. Was Elizabeth Taylor's third husband, but on March twenty second, nineteen sixty eight, his plane crashed in New Mexico, which Kirk Duglas was supposed to be on. Oh and he apparently was killed that plane crash. The two were only married for a year when he died.
Speaker 2: WHOA, I never knew that.
Speaker 1: Yep, everybody's time for crackstaff. Are you ready? Fasten your seat belts and if you have neck restraints, always ready. Always hook in, because we're going to go real fast here around the racetrack. At nineteen forty one, the crack staff says, nice prop work. When the waitress brings the champagne, which Luke starts to handle. Laurelei starts to hand Lorelei in empty glass, and then he realizes his mistake and smoothly swaps it out for the full one. That's at nineteen forty one. Okay, at the town meeting, pay attention to Fay Wellington and the art brush story. But Bet says Fay owned the flower shop and Art ran the candy store. But after the couple broke up, she says Fay stopped making candy. So maybe a little line flub from Sally, which was maybe intentional because it was funny, right, huh, you know you got that master class and yeah, yeah, there was this happened often on this set with this dialect because there was a ton of tongue twisters and stories that went on and on and on. All right, and another one from town meeting. Oh and this is not me saying this, this is the crack staff. Well, it's it's their time. It's that time of year for bonuses and raises and all that. So of course they say swoon alert. Look for Luke's wink to Laurel I at the close of the meeting, right after Taylor says everyone gets fingerprinted for the government.
Speaker 2: Right, he talked about that and we talked about that.
Speaker 1: So that was a good one. So that, ladies and gentlemen, is your season five, episode three written in the stars. Crackstaff.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give them a thumbs up on the champagne bit and the meeting bit. I'm gonna have to go back and see both those.
Speaker 1: Tell you something. They're paying attention.
Speaker 2: The crackstaff makes me want to rewatch. They've done their job.
Speaker 1: Crackstaff man. They might have their own pod. I mean, they're just they're they're cracking it wide open. That's what they're doing, all right, everybody. That's it for pop culture with Amy Sugarman.
Speaker 2: We do okay, it's okay.
Speaker 1: We did Okay? Did we maybe we get a passing ride?
Speaker 2: Mediocre?
Speaker 1: Okay? So next episode season five, episode four, Typical New and Taylor two we will see then. Hey, everybody, I'm gonna be in Louisville at the Louisville Popcorn June sixteenth through eighteen. And I'm also going to be in Corpus Christi, Texas. I cannot wait at the American Bank Center July twenty six, seven and eight, I believe, check the dates on that. But I'm really looking forward to going to Louisville and to Corpus Christy. I have never been to either place. I hear they are both extraordinary. And the food, the food, the food. Hello. That's why I do these trips because I love the food and I love the people. So I hope to see everybody there anyway, best fans on the planet. Love you guys. Always remember I will never fail you and I am all in.
Speaker 3: Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I am all in podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Oh you Gilmore fans. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com, s C O T. T y P dot com, scottyp dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee