Speaker 1: Tom Boy transmitting Bone this guy. Hey, welcome to Monday show. More in studio. I hope everybody had a great weekend, had a pretty good weekend. I do want to start with this because this, to me is one of the cooler interviews that I've ever got to do. I sat down with Stone Cold Steve Austin. The full one hour interview is up on the Bobby Cast, but it was awesome. We talked about music, we talked about the funny name Mike Tyson called him. Were talked about Garth Brooks. So I just want to play you a little bit of me talking from his home in Nevada. Here's me and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Here we go on the Bobby Bones Show.
Speaker 2: Now, Stone Cold Steve Boston.
Speaker 1: When I saw you drive up in your truck, my curiosity went to what does he listen to in his truck? Like just the human part of Steve Austin. What are you listening to?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: I'm not really listening to anything these days. I'm just kind of going down and really listening to silence. You're a silence guy, I really am. At this point. I don't think any of the radio stations working that pickup truck. I've had to think since it's brand new. As far as my gym selection goes, I've got everything from country just to to meddle. I've been really into a Sepultura, which is old as l I'm a big George Straight fan, and lately I just got kind of got turned on to Zach Top.
Speaker 1: He's kind of he's like twenty six, but sounds like he's like fifty five.
Speaker 4: I still think his voice is gonna drop a little bit. But that kid can sure say mister stone Cold when you s that felt weird, didn't want to disrespect. I think mister Austin would be more more human, mister you're right, you're right. I don't know why, mister Cold.
Speaker 1: But what's the weirdest thing? Say? Not to interrupt your question, though, girl, like, what is the weirdest thing? People who would call because I would never call you mister stone Cold would say mister Austiner.
Speaker 4: See god thing. Mike Tyson used to always call me Cold Stone like the creamery that's an ice cream shop. My name is stone Cold. Steve Auston and out there at to raise his money, I go by Steve Austin. You know, I never you know, anybody, if someone calls me stone cold, I'll answered to it. Mister stone cold, all damn sure answered to I love it. Yeah, I've been living my life for a long time.
Speaker 1: As Steve Austin, I have a question about communication with an athlete while you're working with them. And my comparison is I did a dancing show once and I was not good at it, but my partner would talk to me under her breath with her lips close the whole time, and she would say, okay, letter, are you guys talking to each other or what is there a language that you use?
Speaker 4: That ventriloquist thing you just said. You know, back in the day when I first started in a wrestling business the way the way you know, almost all sports have sped up. The wrestling business has sped up as well. So you know, back in the day, you were talking in a ring like a ventriloquist and calling the match as you go. I mean, you're doing something just to alsit a response, and based on that response that you get from the people, you keep going on and on and on. So yeah, you're talking like a ventroller quist. And people talk about choreographing and setting up Patches. I'll never forget the first time I worked with, you know, the King, Jerry Lawler, who's one of my all time favorites and the one of the best. And I was pacing around the ring with him and I had two weeks in the business and Jerry said, all right, tackle dropped down hot toss and I said, I like a bit trill request. He was saying it, yeah, yeah, tackle down head toss. And there's about I low a thousand people out there and I go, what this is? Before I admitted to what and he goes, I can run down a hiptoss. I said, what I did? A tackle drop down? And I didn't know who was supposed to hip toss who And it was a cluster and soon from there, and Jerry Lawler was booking the territory at the time, and I'm sure he was thinking to himself, why, you know, why did I book this match with this punk kid?
Speaker 1: First time at Garth Brooks was like, holy crap, this is the craziest thing ever. And we Eddie and I they went and open for Garth Brooks at the Football Stadium once and I still see him go, holy.
Speaker 3: Crap, this is Garth Brooks.
Speaker 4: And quit Garth Brooks story. We was at the I love if it was a CMA, the CMTS, the MTV award, but I was given out award. They called down there to the office said hey, we would like STONK Steve Auston to give Garth Brooks the Entertainer of the Year, whatever it was. I gave it to him, and I was so in character. Now I'm thinking, well, you know, I dressed up like these people because I'm stone cold Steve aust and that's what I wore, no shirt underneath. And I walked out there and you know, gave him the award. It was a pretty cool thing, but I was so wrapped up and being stone cold Steve Austin and Garth Brooks had been on fire, and of course, you know, it was fun to listen to it, to all of his music, and it was cool to give him that award back in, but I was I was going to be stone cold about it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. I check out the full episodes an hour long of The Bobby Cast wherever you listen to your podcasts. It's a good way to start the show. I hope you go check it out. It was really really awesome. All right, let's get the show started out.
Speaker 4: Anamous here the questions to.
Speaker 1: Be Hello, Bobby Bones. My good friend is constantly unloading her problems on me and treats me like her personal therapist. While I want to be there for her, it's draining me and I feel like our relationship is only one direction. She doesn't listen to me anymore. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I need some space. How can I gently let her know that I need to set boundaries signed a need to help. Oh, that's funny. I'm gonna go to our boundary expert Amy.
Speaker 2: Oh, boundaries have been new for me the last few years.
Speaker 5: But I think it's okay if it's a good friend to just say that you kind of need some space. It's sure, just like you did, but in a very kind, loving way. If that's what you want, like you have to vocalize it or they're not going to know, and then they're just this energy vampire and it sucks a life out of you.
Speaker 1: That's a good term. What feels awkward, weird, uncomfortable is setting a boundary. What feels much better is after that boundary is set, the rest of life. It's a net game, right, Like if I were to go Eddie, I don't like it whenever you put your arm around me in public and hug on me, and that may be awkward to have. That conversation is awkward, Eddie and I right then, But for the rest of time after that awkward moment is over, it is absolute net gain. You get to a little bit of uncomfortableness to have probably a better relationship with that person. Boundaries aren't supposed to be fun, but what they do is make life. You're able to have more fun and enjoy life because of the boundaries. Is there a nice way to say it? Or you just say it? The best way I think is band aid rip.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but I mean you can say it and not kindly.
Speaker 5: You don't have to wob Yeah, but I'm not going to say you're sucking the life out of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's that's too much. I want to say that. I would say it.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a band aid rip.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would say you're dumping a lot of your stuff on me. I can't take it. It's too much. I'm happy to do this with you, but it's taking a lot of my energy. To do this and I don't have it right now.
Speaker 5: And so also to what I've learned as a friend with friends that have been able to communicate in a healthy way, is that when you have something heavy to dump on a friend and you need that feedback or you are treating them like you're the therapist, how about ask them if they have the bandwidth for it at the time, Like, Hey, I have a lot going on right now, I'd love to talk to you about it. Do you have the space for it right now or is there a better time.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'd say dump and run because I'm terrible if I started himing and han and like I just need to it never actually gets there and I can never communicate. This is me communicate effectively what I wanted to communicate. Where if I go, dude, when you put your arm around me, it makes me feel very uncomfortable. I love you, but you have to stop that that way it feels weird for a second and we move on. That's the way I can do it, because I don't do good at patting.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's yes, no that I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, like, as friends, we should start to realize the capacity that our other friends have and you can ask them if they have the space to hear you dump stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just tell them run. But you're right. I'm sure your version is.
Speaker 5: It's like, if I need to come to you with something and I don't know that you're never terrible day, I.
Speaker 1: May never go again. If I ask you don't have the capacity, I may feel yeah, I'm not doing it. Oh well, dang, yeah I said it. I'm weak. Okay, you are strong.
Speaker 2: No, I just had to learn the hard way.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've been open about your ADD, but you have ADHD. And what's the difference.
Speaker 5: Oh, I have ADHD, and I like that's how they categorize all of it now, So.
Speaker 1: ADD is not.
Speaker 5: Really it is, but I think they just everything's ADHD now. But in college I was diagnosed with ADHD when ADD was.
Speaker 1: Still a thing. So the H added make it more significant.
Speaker 5: Hyperper yeah something disorder? Yeah, so so.
Speaker 2: But whatever your atention deficit.
Speaker 1: Disorder, that's ADC. Like i'll hyper yeah, So what is ADHD paralysis?
Speaker 5: Well, a listener emailed in to tell me that she thinks that's what I have, and so I did some more research on it, and I was like oh yeah, this is definitely what's happening to me. When there's a simple task that other people might be able to complete, no problem. I tend to freeze up and just ignore it and go do it.
Speaker 1: Because ADHD paralysis or is that what? Could be a lot of things. It doubt it for you, But if somebody elseaid that would be like, is it just called being lazy?
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it can be confused with procrastination and laziness. It is not just that at all whatsoever. It's some of it is executive function, like your brain not being able to handle the time management to figure out what it's going to take to complete, and then you just get overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: You know what I could do? I can diagnose this a good kick in the.
Speaker 2: Pants it Yeah, no, you're acting like it's not.
Speaker 1: Let's good at it. So did you talk about this in your podcast? I did?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I did a whole deep dive on it and gave strategies and tips like a research stuff from experts. And I think it'll be helpful if you find yourself, you know, with ADHD paralysis.
Speaker 1: I think I have it right now.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's a real thing, absolutely, and loved one should be supportive.
Speaker 1: Amen Pile of Stories.
Speaker 5: Brad Pick's rep is speaking out after some scammers were arrested for allegedly pretending to be Brad in order to make money from women.
Speaker 1: On social media. Did the one I think they were in a relationship with Brad?
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean there was five people arrested for this whole things. They were acting like him, and yeah, they were creating relationships with these women and they got like three hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Like all in from everyone, because I'd be pretty special.
Speaker 2: That three fifty only came from two women.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That means they were giving a lot.
Speaker 1: Like if you give him like eighty bucks, but you feel like you're you have that special feeling like that's probably worth it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they would take the time to build the trust and then the women were like, yeah, okay, here Brad, here's the money.
Speaker 1: Because I just who has that kind of extra money, and especially somebody who is so vulnerable to be scammed like that, that's awful. But Brad people be a pretty cool one to be in a relationship with. Yeah, cause you know you're bragging in with your friends about that, Okay, what else.
Speaker 5: Jennifer Aniston's home was targeted in a swatting prank, which is when you call the police and have them show up at someone's house.
Speaker 1: So they called it and it sucks. So people have died from these, like it's not good. You're calling. You go like something's happening, and the swat team shows up and they like kick in up the door.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this one, they were very concerned for Jennifer's well being because that's what they said on the call, like I have a concern for my friend's well being. So they show up all concerned to do a wellness check, and they go in thinking that someone's in.
Speaker 2: Harm, either themselves or someone else, and it's terrible.
Speaker 1: Luckily, if all they did was a wellness check, it could have been much much worse, because the real swat is when they go and the swat team shows up and goes in the house because they think somebody held hostage or something.
Speaker 6: Oh, and they have robots and then they'll throw those flash bombs in there.
Speaker 1: You know you're talking about crime shows. Oh no, I mean that also happened that they do, but mostly like someone's being held hostage and the people go in they bust in, but people have been killed. Yeah, they do the battering ram on the front door, or they do a chain to it and rip the front door. A swat team wouldn't bust in, only the little robot would go in for the bomb.
Speaker 5: So the weird part to me is, and I get why they did this, but the police said that they have now noted the location for future reference and so they'll speak to her security first. But then what if there's a legit serious emergency and they're like, oh, yeah, we have this one flagged as like the boy.
Speaker 1: Would cry wolf, but they didn't even cry yeah for them. Yeah, yeah, that's here's the prank to do. Not that one. The prank is go to restaurant and say it's my friend's birthday and it's really not like same feeling. They're surprised, they're comfortable, no guns, Like, that's the one to do, not this one. Okay, what else?
Speaker 5: The Boot asked a bunch of country artists who is the toughest act to follow in all the country music? Like, who do not want to play after? And Chris Stapleton was the top answer.
Speaker 1: So what they're saying is somebody who sounds really good with a bunch of hits. Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Thomas Wright even said yeah, I've had to do that before. It's not fun.
Speaker 5: And then Cody Johnson was a second popular answer.
Speaker 1: He's really really good live, So I'm glad. I'm glad that's where the story went, and there wasn't like super famous people that maybe aren't his dynamic on stage anymore, you know what I mean. It could be like, I don't want to I don't want to have to follow George straight and near a bunch of hits. But when he's older, he's just not like running around or it'd be tough to follow him, for sure, but it'd be much harder to follow Chris Stapleton. I'm Amy. That's my file. That was Amy's pile of stories. It's time the kid news.
Speaker 7: Cameron is a seven year old in Las Vegas, Nevada, and he got off the bus on the wrong stop on the first day of school. So he's lost and he walks around for an hour trying to find his house. It's triple digit heat and he gets hot. He sits down on the curb because he's just so sad and confused.
Speaker 1: I'm lucky for him.
Speaker 7: The Amazon driver's driving by going, Man, that sure does look like a little kid sitting on the curb. Let me pull over, and said, hey, little man, what's going on? He goes, man, I got off at the wrong stop. But I can't buy my house. Luckily, the seven year old remembered his mom's phone number, called his mom.
Speaker 1: Mom came and got him. First of all, he remember his phone number. That's awesome, I remember anything. Second of all, question about having a kid that six or seven first day of school on a bus? Do they checked or they talked? The kid just go like, yeah, I'm here, let me off. That's a great question. I don't know the answer to this thing because my kid.
Speaker 7: Rides the bus and he just gets off the bus.
Speaker 1: But first time or second time, doesn't I assume the.
Speaker 3: Bus driver knows what stop.
Speaker 1: Maybe they get off on that. But it's only the first day, so how exactly. There are a lot of questions I had here, But the answer that I have here is that Amazon driver was his name was Lavelle Moore is right? He's still with us, He still with vell. Yeah, yeah, he's still here. Yeah he said it was, and I still here. So a big shout out to Lavell. Did he get a promotions maybe the kid, I don't know, maybe maybe better out, better around, better hours. Leavell great job, you saved that family. Save that kid. That's what it's all about. That was telling me something good. There we go on the Bobby Bones Show now the only good to meet you, buddy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you too.
Speaker 1: I don't think we've met right, No, not yet. I've like seeing you on the internet and stuff that sounds creepy, but before because he's done this thing as a rider and now he's really doing this thing as an artist. Was it, Hey, maybe you shouldn't get another dealan on the song or let's go find another dialan on the song?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We We were actually out on tour with Dylan and he and he called me on his bus one night and he's asking me to show them some stuff and I showed him that one and he was like, there's never been two Dylans on a song. What if we tried it? And I was like, hey, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: That's confusing that both on the same tour. Yeah, that'd be tough. Yeah, did you know any other Dyllans when you were Is that like the cool name for.
Speaker 3: That age or what I don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't have any Bobbies because apparently I learned recently Bobby's I god named from nineteen twenty. Were there any other Dylans at all in your high school?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, I was the only one like that I really knew. But then when I moved to Nashville, there's like eight of us now, so they were on.
Speaker 1: Text they're on text change. Yeah, yeah, all Dylans. When did you move to Nashville?
Speaker 3: Uh, I want to say probably the July twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: How long were here before COVID hit and shut everything down?
Speaker 3: Probably two years?
Speaker 1: I guess he just got your feet wet, like you were just probably starting to feel it and.
Speaker 3: Then Yeah, I actually it's funny because I think some people had like a bad experience because.
Speaker 1: Some people did.
Speaker 3: You're correct, Yeah, giv me crack and and COVID For me was kind of lit because I just I wrote a bunch. I kind of just kind of honed it on my craft and yeah, I just hunted a lot, fished a lot, and wrote a lot of songs. And then right towards the end, I kind of just started posting some stuff on social media and going that route. But I feel like it heard a lot of people that kind of had my minimum and then went into COVID and kind of got crushed. But for me, I didn't have anything going really before it, so all I have was kind of like a little shoot to get out of it. So it wasn't bad for me.
Speaker 1: Where'd you grow up?
Speaker 3: Statesbro, Georgia.
Speaker 1: What's what's the nearest what's near city?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Savannah probably the nearest biggest city.
Speaker 1: If you went to a concert, would you drive Tavannah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, right when I was States Pro is actually like a cool college town for a lot like al Dean and Luke and Zach Brown band, they all started playing like the little circuit there. But right when I got into it that it was kind of like it got shut down. So I didn't get to like get into that scene at all.
Speaker 1: Right when I started, but it got shut down.
Speaker 3: There was a like a bouncer threw somebody out and it like it killed him. So his dad, and his dad was a lawyer, so he shut.
Speaker 1: The whole also the venue was shut down. Yeah, it was like the whole music industry of no, no.
Speaker 3: No, it was, but it was like the main five bars that everybody played, like it's kind of crazy. Like if you talk to some of the guys like Luke and al Dean that played there, like they it was kind of stage was like kind of an odd staple. But like from that on, like nobody really knows about it.
Speaker 1: Now you have a musical family.
Speaker 3: My dad was a drummer in a rock band, but they had me when they were sixteen, so he had to kind of put that away.
Speaker 1: Did he drum at all? Even for fun?
Speaker 3: Once you got a little older a little bit, we had a kid in the house always, and always knew he was really good because you just come home one day and he'd beat playing drums. But uh, I never got to like go to any of his shows or see him play a show.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: His band was called Mumble Lily, which is odd name. But we had a tape in the garage I got to listen to.
Speaker 1: But with you Yet you let him come out and play with you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well when I first started, we did. But I'm gonna let him come out.
Speaker 1: That's like on one of those big ones. Yeah, that very cool.
Speaker 3: Let him play a song or two.
Speaker 1: So for you, where did the music interest come from?
Speaker 3: I got hurt playing baseball, which probably like a lot of other people do.
Speaker 1: All the Dylons, every dealing was hurt playing baseball, and now they're making in music.
Speaker 3: It's just something in the name, I guess. But I started playing a buddy in my neighborhood. His grandpa passed away and gave him a guitar, and he was like, I don't you know. I think he learned wagon wheel or something, and he was like, I did this in a day. And I was like, no way, I'm gonna try that. And then I learned that every song that you could imagine has the same court as wagon wheel, and so I just started playing. And then I fell in love with Eric Church and like just his songwriting, and so I started kind of going that direction. Of my freshman year of college, which was my only year of college, I just kind of focused on writing a bunch of songs. And yeah, that's kind of just how it started.
Speaker 1: Was there because there were people from near where you were that it made it. It kind of allowed you to see the people actually could make it because you mentioned like Aldean. Yeah, so there were normal dudes from down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't know those guys personally, but there was one dude named Trey Landon who you might have heard he's in town, and he was like the like direct line of like, oh, like he had some stuff going on when I was like thinking about moving up here and that's actually how I'm at Dallas, where I'm at who I'm signed with now, And yeah, there was kind of like a like oh, dang, I know this guy and he's like making waves and like it's kind of possible, so maybe I should try it.
Speaker 1: You almost need to have an example, like a model of somebody from near that's done it to otherwise it just feels like TV. Yeah, like I'm from Mountain Pine and it's Mount Pine Arcs. I know theody did anythings at work at the mill, like that's all we did, and so but I would see like friends in New York and like things and lost I'll be like, man, that's not real, that's fictional, but it's it's what's cool is you had people that were near you that showed you that if you worked hard and got lucky and strategized correctly, you could actually make it out of there doing music.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sure, And I'm so thankful my parents weren't like against it too. They were I think they since they had me so young, they were kind of like for it, like just kind of want wanting to see me live my dreams out because they couldn't because they had me at sixteen and seventeen. Uh, and then they just had my brothers, so they kind of just like settled down real early.
Speaker 1: My mom had me she was sixteen and my biological d that was seventeen. Thing. Yeah, they and they never really felt like they were young because they were always older than me. Yeah, but now that I then when I got older, I was like, then they are kind of young.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think my dad just turned forty seven and I'm crazy seven, which is crazy because I'm forty four, I like three years younger than your dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that yeah, that's Are they still together a chance?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why you out even wilder in today's times and everything going on, Like, yeah, they're still they're still hanging on.
Speaker 1: Dang, good for them. Yeah, that's really cool. Yeah, let's start with this. I know that you're one of the writers of John Parties Last Night Lonely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Was this your first as a writer? Number one? Yes? Oh that's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah first and only so.
Speaker 1: So then with that song you write it, did you write it for you were you and you just had a publishing dealing, you just writing whatever, hoping somebody pick it up.
Speaker 3: No, I was strictly writing for me. I actually specifically wanted like a baritone guitar intro on a song, and so I got Joe, who's my producer now, to just make a cool little baritone intro riff, and we start. I think we wrote three different times to it. Usually we don't write three different times of the same thing, but it sounded so cool, and I was like, don't I don't want anybody to pitch this. I want this to be my song. And I think somehow Bart heard it, John's producer, and and he called and said that John wanted to cut it, and I was like, I don't. I don't know, Like I think this could be my first thing. But also, you know, I didn't have a record deal yet, so there was no chance of anything going to radio, at least for a while. And then they said that it was going to be a single.
Speaker 1: Did they tell you since you didn't want to let it go, there's a good chance it will be a single, like to kind of motivate you.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think they did. I don't think they wanted over Honis, but I don't know if something told me to just do it, so I just we let him cut it, and we all found out. We were all flying to a rider's retreat, Me, Joe, and Jimmy, And when we landed our airplanes, all our airplanes, our phones all turned off airplane mode and we got the text at the same time. So it's kind of sick.
Speaker 1: Airplanes though. That's awesome. Would you mind playing that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, So Dylan Dylan Marlowe and Studio. This is song that he wrote. It was number one for John Party. Here is Last Night Lonely.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry we can't post a live performance on the podcast, but if you go to our YouTube page you can watch it there or maybe listen live. Okay, all right, now back to the podcast. Hey, Dylan's got a new album, Mid Twenties Crisis. It's out now. We're gonna play some new stuff from it coming up in a second, and we're also going to you do an other force a minute. Yeah, you go with that. Yeah, what is your Starbucks drink? There?
Speaker 3: So, uh, it's actually a it's called it's kind of a divo drink, but it's.
Speaker 1: Called I can tell you were bouncing around with him, not wanting to say that.
Speaker 3: It's kind of custom. It's it's pretty uh personal, but it's meant majesty.
Speaker 1: Tell the word majesty is a majesty.
Speaker 3: And it has a so weird that steamed apple juice instead of water, and then two things a honey. But last weekend my voice was gone, and there's no need to make any excuse. There isn't actually a lifesaver this. This girl d m me from the show and she was like, I'm in a theater and if your voice ever goes out again, and get this drink.
Speaker 1: So I was like, I know he'd get majesty, honey, dreamboat, whistler, whatever whatever he calls.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when did you start writing songs? Your dad was a drummer, obviously did he write songs?
Speaker 3: I think he did. I've never heard him, uh, but probably just my freshman year when when I when I when I dug into Eric Church, the first song I heard was where she told me to go, And I was like, Dad going like, if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna try to at least write some songs like that, like just that you can feel h and on the record there are some songs like that, and there's some songs that don't make you feel anything, just but feel good. So uh but yeah, I started writing probably my freshman year of college.
Speaker 1: Did you write alone in Georgia?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then when you got here you're like, oh, what you have? You have to write with people? Was that a weird dynamic change for me?
Speaker 3: Kind of? I mean knowing Trey like I kind of knew I had like an insight about how the industry worked a little bit. Uh well, I say the industry. I'm still learning new stuff about this industry every day, but like, at least a song writ inside of things.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was cool though, Like I was. I would look forward to coming to Nashville and get to write with other people other than just myself.
Speaker 1: But it was the first time you got in a room you're writing it. Oh, this is pretty cool. I get write with this person that I'd never met before.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, gosh. I can't remember what right it was, but I do remember feeling like, dang, this is this is sick. Like you can bounce off each other and you don't have to come up with every single word.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like it a little bit too? It's kind of weird because you were like sharing personal emotions with people you never met.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at first it was hard. At first I was like, no, I'm good, and then.
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm good. I'm all good here.
Speaker 3: Once I started kind of getting like digging into like wanting to be an artist and learning that there's no really way around being vulnerable. If you if you want to like legit, I think, make art that's personal to your life. Then I kind of just learned that it was kind of cool to do that.
Speaker 1: So I feel like you have a lot of Camo true or foss. Yeah, I feel like every time I see on something, it's there's something cam. How much of your closets Camo.
Speaker 3: I have a whole closet just devoted to Camo, So I'd say that that one's that's our guest bedroom closet.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you uncomfortable question here, all right, and it may not be uncomfortable to you, But I saw a TikTok of you on a private jet. What's happened? What's up?
Speaker 3: Wait? There was a TikTok of me on a private jet.
Speaker 1: Saw I TikTok with you. Yeah, I got a private jet. You're on one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've only been on one my whole lot, well two, so I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something must have got you, did I post it. I'm not gonna, you know, implant anybody in this so would share any story about us.
Speaker 3: Three did a private show for these folks in South Carolina and they were like, Hey, we're not going to pay you, but we're gonna fly down a PJ and you can have our boat all weekend. And I was like, they all want to ride down on a private jet and have a week more boat all weekend. And we were like yeah, So they spent the money on gas and gave you a boat for a jet and then didn't want to pay you. I guess I told that story wrong, that it was kind of like an auctioned off concert and so they paid for it. I didn't make any money. I kind of donated it. Oh it's a charity day.
Speaker 1: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah I should have started with that. Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 1: You he bartered out a jet ride for a performance. I was actually, you could have flown Southwest and made some money there based on they spending gas how often you on the road? You every weekend now.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, Yeah, every weekend. We're out with Dana Shay right now and that's been a blast. Uh. And then we'll have kind of a few weeks off in October November, but we pretty much been at it almost every weekend this year.
Speaker 1: So what's your I Got discovered story? Uh?
Speaker 3: I think I'm still working on it. The first like cool thing that happened was we did like a country version of Driver's License and that kind of was like, yeah, I got it, got it. My manager Kayden there it was like during COVID he was like, you got to post on TikTok and I was like, I don't know what the post like. He was like he's kind of being a smart but and uh, he was like, just take something that's not country and make it country. I don't care, just do something. And so I kind of took it literal and I found that song and uh, I made it country and kind of did something and it.
Speaker 1: Did pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah did all right? How did it do?
Speaker 1: I mean one of those where you went to sleep and you woke up and there were five million streams?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah at that time, well, at that time. It was like for me, having like five thousand views, going to like over a million overnight was like, oh dang, and then uh we ended up putting that out with like another problem. Yeah, it just kind of started rolling from there.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. But yeah, you were you born in like late nineties?
Speaker 3: I soon, Yeah, ninety seven?
Speaker 1: Who's your like? Four? Mount Rushmore a favorite musical artists of all time?
Speaker 3: Oh, don't be too cool though, don't be too cool, be not real because legit all right. So obviously like Eric Church is up there for me. Uh, Keith Whitley is up there for me.
Speaker 1: Gosh, how are you exposed to Keith Whitley? Your parents?
Speaker 3: My mom? Yeah? Yeah, my dad was always kind of rock and roll. My mom was always like country stuff. I'd say Kenny Chesney, just like early Kenny Chesney because I grew up on that as well. And then uh, probably also Food Fighters because I grew up listening to them with my dad. So it's kind of like a weird Mount Rushmore, But.
Speaker 1: I think that's actually a pretty normal Mount Rushmore of someone who doesn't lie. That's what I like about it because a lot has people come in and drop like and I can usually identify them. They'll be dropping old school countries ou and I'm like, you have no idea. Yeah, You're like, you can't tell Merle Haggard from Hank Junior. And they're like, I've put merlek Jr.
Speaker 3: It's a cool thing to do right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, can we hear the new one?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: By the way, everybody out there, So the new album is called Mid Twenties Crisis. As he's getting ready here, hey play me number three rate give me a mid twenties Crisis. Look over that.
Speaker 3: I was looking for a name for the record and I didn't have one. Uh. This was only like a few months ago the whole record was done, and I just didn't want to name my first record a random song off the record, which no, like shade anybody say.
Speaker 1: The same thing. It annoys me when people just go, we don't have a name, just pick a song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I wanted to.
Speaker 1: I mean, fighters wouldn't do that.
Speaker 3: No, heck no.
Speaker 1: They named the record based on like what the whole body of works out and it feels yes, and uh, I.
Speaker 3: Was just like I was praying about it, like I don't know what to name this record. And like obviously the guys at the label are like, come on, like we gotta have a name, like uh. And one night I woke up at like four am and I just had that title mid Twenties Crisis pop in my head and I wrote it down uh. And then on the road that weekend, I I think I wrote it over the course of every show, Like I wrote the verse like the first day, the chorus the second day, and it just kind of started coming together. And it's really just what I was going through too, just like I feel like the twenties are tough. I feel like every probably age is tough, but just trying to figure out like where am I at, Like all my buddies back home have kids. Should I be doing that? Or like I'm up here doing this, Like it just is a confusing time at least for me. Lengthfully, we're past that now we're better, but I was just kind of for now, but I was just going through that and I just wanted to write like a real song, and I sent it to Jason at the label and Joe, my producer, and I was like, this is God, this is the title of the record. And I was going to Alaska on Sunday to go fishing and got back Sunday, went to the studio with Joe and recorded at like eleven am. I guess it was twelve because I just got out of church and I went over to his place and we just did an electric guitar in my vocal when that was it and we sent it in. So I'm really proud of that one.
Speaker 1: I want to play one more before you guys play UH number fifteen rate. It's the last track. It's called the Fence. You can tell the kind of songs I'm drawn to. I'm very emo. Yes, it is the two songs. Yeah, just give me something that's kind of broken down. I can hear the words, I can feel the emotion like that song is pretty strong.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you write that for your year girl?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. I was driving through Oklahoma on the way to UH to a duck hunt and I saw this tumbleweed just like flying through this field and it just smoked a fence, and I was like, I don't know what that's about, but I'm gonna write it down, and uh then I kind of got to thinking like it could it's just crazy, how like a tumbleweed like I feel like that was me, just like running real fast and then just hit a fence. Uh in a good way?
Speaker 1: Did you get engaged?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm married. Yeah, Oh you're married little after a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got god.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We have two dogs and five chickens. Well so are they all named yeah after wing Wing sauces.
Speaker 1: The dogs and the chicken.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, just the chickens and the dogs after wing sau That would be add the chickens. That my favorite one. Her name is lum and Pepper. And when I get home, she will home just like let me hold her. The other four won't, but Limon Peppereroki won't come over. No, Tariokeey won't. Buffalo we got Okay, you got Lemon Pepper. Who's my favorite teriockey Buffalo. She's got like a bright red chest garlic palms. She's just the biggest one I garlic and then Chicken Minnie is the smallest one. She's like the run.
Speaker 1: This is Dylan Marlow and he gots good. Yeah, all right, whatever you right, Dylan Marlow, next shot man. The record is out. It's called mid twenties Crisis. I shout out your guys up here with you.
Speaker 3: Heck yeah. Yeah, this is John Fresh, John Fresh, fresh, freshman cooler.
Speaker 1: I do like fresh, I do like fresh. I got you, but fresh, let me switch it up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, not too late.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when John has tequiling him, his his alter ego is Eagle Dan, and this is a David Medland Dan. Yeah. I don't know where we got that from.
Speaker 1: There's no explanation.
Speaker 3: Oh knows the Love's Truck Stop T shirt.
Speaker 1: I found up. Yeah, I found this ridiculous Eagle T shirt and I loved and it was like fifteen bucks. I was like, I have to buy it, and then I cut the sleeves off and I wore it for like four days. But where Dan come from?
Speaker 3: I don't know where we got that from. It just felt right.
Speaker 1: And then what's your name?
Speaker 3: Sorry? How Yeah, David Medlin and David.
Speaker 1: When you drink too much? What's your name?
Speaker 3: What's my name?
Speaker 4: David?
Speaker 3: He says frick a lot, and then he says frick even more when he's been drinking.
Speaker 1: Got it freaking freaking Dave?
Speaker 3: Yeah, freaking Dan.
Speaker 1: Wait, because you're Eagle Danny Dance.
Speaker 3: Maybe we figured that all your nicknames Dan, yeah, all day Rick Dan and Eagle Dan Dylan Marlow.
Speaker 1: Great to see you, man, ud can have me? Uh you guys go follow Dylan at Dylan Marlow Music. The record is out called Mid Twenties Crisis and Boys Back Come. That's gonna be a smashed thanks Ye, it's gonna smash, thank you. All right, there is Dylan Marlo body nice. Yeah, here's a clip about getting broken up with that Amy brought in. I don't know it's from Morgan to hear or not. How's your break up? By the way, he still Phil, He's still sadur Now.
Speaker 8: No, I'm doing great, right, I mean, I'm be honest.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know that. I'm like completely over it.
Speaker 2: I'm still healing.
Speaker 8: But I feel really good.
Speaker 1: I mean I haven't cried. I'm in a good space. Good. I feel like she's battling through that.
Speaker 2: This clip will offer more encouragement.
Speaker 1: Let's clip ahead.
Speaker 9: Have you ever gotten less hot from a breakup? Have you ever gotten less successful? Now, every single time you go through a breakup or like something that causes you pain, you get hotter, you get more successful, and you do things you might not normally do.
Speaker 1: Okay, you grow. So I'm like, I say, go for it, and so you think what motivation can be had.
Speaker 5: Oh well, so sometimes when you've experienced a hard breakup, you're less likely to maybe want to go into another relationship because you don't want to get hurt again.
Speaker 2: But this person was saying.
Speaker 5: Go for it, go out with all the people, experience all the breakups, because I guess she was her experience.
Speaker 2: She's gotten hotter and done things she doesn't normally do.
Speaker 1: You know what what you do is you get yourself in shape, you give it another run. Right, That's what she means. Morgan, your thoughts on that clip. I mean, I think it's true.
Speaker 8: I've had a lot of heartbreak in my life and I've never, you know.
Speaker 1: Gotten worse after those breakups.
Speaker 8: I feel like I've had multiple glill ups and I just kind of keep elevating.
Speaker 1: I think the growth, this is just my perspective, the growth that you're going to have from this next relationship, whenever you choose to get in it, is that you will have the belief in yourself to actually pick a decent guy. Because you just picked a decent guy. It didn't work out, but you didn't have a good track record of picking people that I think we all universally could agree, you know, too much hair dree Dale and jewelry and yeah, certain kind of too many curls. And I mean they kind of you kind of had like this bad boy losery. But I think you've matured out of that. I think you now can give yourself hope that you can pick a good guy, good mature guy. Yeah. I do feel like I'm in a good place.
Speaker 8: I've learned a lot of lessons, you know, I just would like to stop learning lessons.
Speaker 1: That'd be cool too. Do you get offended when we're like you use a date loser?
Speaker 8: No, Like I wish I could be like, no, they weren't great guys, but they weren't great. They had a lot of bad moments, So I can't. Really, I can't sit here and be like, no, I dated winners, they weren't, so I can't.
Speaker 1: Really. I don't have a defense against that. I think the last guy, though, was the arrow pointing in the right direction that whatever wherever your rudder was taking you, it is not taking you there anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on a new path, whatever that path may be.
Speaker 1: Have you been on a date? Since I did go on a date, Let's go that one. Always it's not good. But regardless that that dude, that dude was served up as raw meat, like he will never survive. It didn't matter how great he was. He is just a chum. So how to go? It was good? How'd it come about? Friend? Set us up? And then do you feel like you could go out with him again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I could. This will never last, that's unfortunately.
Speaker 5: If it's a friend setup, then she has recommendations from the friend.
Speaker 1: Like that, I'd be a good dude. I'd probably stall. I probably hold on off on this dude. Go out with a game, go out the couple more, get those out of your system. If you really think this guy could be a winner, because the first guy up is the next guy to go down. I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 8: At this point in my life, I would say, like early twenties more and yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Was probably true me in three months. You could be right.
Speaker 8: But I'm a different person now than I was when I was dating, like going through heartbreak.
Speaker 1: In my early twenties. I just think if you have a real serious relationship and you jump back in regardless, that person doesn't really stand a chance because they're being compared to the last person. I can't always be human nature human nature, but it could work. I'm committed to it. I'm committed to this is not not working for work. Committed to it. Well, we're rooting for you. Let us know if this thing goes any further. Okay, yeah, religious police lined up.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was one of my first.
Speaker 1: Like what's your credit score? Asking that immediately. All right, it's time for the good news. Ready. Mitchell High School in Memphis, Tennessee.
Speaker 6: They have a football team, but they've been using the same helmets for over ten years, and the coaches like, man, with all the stuff happening with concussions, we need upgrades. But the school district is like, we don't have money for it. Well, thankfully there's a nonprofit called Uplift Westwood.
Speaker 1: They said, you know what, we're going to raise the money for it.
Speaker 6: They raised twenty thousand dollars and now the team has brand new helmets.
Speaker 1: That's great, especially when it comes to helmets. Well, they were saying, like it's like seat belts, we need to totally.
Speaker 6: They say every two years, like you're supposed to like upgrade because they have a new technology for.
Speaker 1: Helmet your mind for pre school. That's crazy. Well, no, I think just schools in general life like the iPhone. You guys are out of your mind with iPhones. We need to do it every year. You guys are crazy. So a couple of things. I was going to ask you guys this question. So I sponsor the fishing team at my high school. We talked about this. They were like, hey, can you help us? No problem? And they're like, hey, well where whatever logo you want on our fishing like shirt jerseys? I love it. So I need to decide do I even do anything? Or do I just let them put their school and that's it? Or do I put like some glide What do I do that? The glasses logo? That's what I was thinking. They say, like Bobby Bells or glasses? Yeah? Or is that like too much? Just sponsor the team?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: How many logos can you do? Like three?
Speaker 6: We do the raging idiot silhouettes.
Speaker 1: Like race car drivers, all the patches. Would that be? Would that be a loser of me to go like? No?
Speaker 5: Put I don't think it's a loser. I think most sponsors put some sort of.
Speaker 1: Stuff, but sponsored is weird. I just donated so this could have a fishing.
Speaker 6: Team I think they would be proud to have your logo on their jersey.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 7: Okay, maybe I think like one of these outs like that we have in the studio.
Speaker 1: Just get that's funny. That is funny. That's kind of funny. Okay. I like your story, all right, like your story. I was just thinking about that. That's what it's all about. That was telling me something good. Let's go to Amy and get in the morning corny, the morning, corny.
Speaker 2: What do Jedi trees say to each other in the fall?
Speaker 1: What do Jedi like Star Wars Jedi trees say to each other in the fall? May the forest be with you forest? Instead of the forest that was the morning corning? Why do they say that in the fall?
Speaker 2: Maybe before they lose their leaves?
Speaker 1: No, the fall a fourth and forest is a play on words. May the Fourth Force be with you, that's what they say. Well, why wouldn't they say that in the spring? Why why why don't they just do it all year round? Oh that's a good question, too much, I answered it. You're going to lose their leaves or it doesn't matter. And that is the end of the first half of the podcast. Is the end of the first half of the podcast. The podcast that is the end of the time of the podcast. You can go a podcast to or you can wait till podcast to come out.