Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Show Kaddy.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Dedicating and he Arms Studio, sn.
Speaker 1: Hey dinning in that room, people in the bowels of the Armstrong and Getty Communications Compound, And hey y'all, today we're under the tutelage of our title of our show, the Iran War is enemies with benefits?
Speaker 2: Hey, yuh want to bomb each other for a while? Or if you prefer don't look now California, America's stupid estate. Maybe New York? Wow? What explain the enemies with benefits? To me? That's a clever term.
Speaker 1: You don't say you.
Speaker 2: Don't bomb each other for a while? Alton, what do you? Calls him and says, hey, yup, you mind if I take out a few of your ports? Sure, well, I'll hit your allies. Then you'd send it. A couple of days later, you don't see each other for a few weeks. So ran is hit? Is it?
Speaker 1: Seven ships in the last three days trying to go through the straight twelve sailors that are either injured, dead, or missing at sea. According to a report out today, that's enough to make a lot of insurance companies say, hey, how about you don't send that boat through there if we're gonna have somebody die and all the imagine the paperwork, the.
Speaker 2: Weig will not take a lot to close this tree.
Speaker 1: Apparently it takes a threat and a threat has been made manifest. Yeah, that's something we will talk more about that later. And Trump did an interview and talked about bomb on their bridges and infrastructure again, which he has said several times. So either he means it or he doesn't. And I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate to start with a tragedy, but I was just looking at it. That ship that went down in the San Francisco Bay area between Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I missed that.
Speaker 1: What happened? Oh last night? It was actually a memorial service. Somebody had died and they wanted to do some sort of memorial service. Sprinkle the ashes out in the bay. And if you know we live we broadcast from northern California. I said, I was there just the other day and it's just glorious there. I mean that that people take cruise ships underneath a Golden Gate bridge out there by Alcatraz all the time anyway, big giant wave, hits boat, flips over, people drown It's it's it's ugly, very ugly.
Speaker 2: Stories. That's terrible.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I don't remember. You know, you can get pretty windy out there. I don't remember. It'll be in flip giant boats rough out there.
Speaker 2: No, I've never seen that myself. It's a bay, for goodness sakes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, we had getting back, getting back to the straight and the the you know, the threat and the closing of the strait and the rest of it. As you know, I would talk about that for four hours, but I know most people don't want to hear about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm struck by, and I'm trying to come up with a metaphor or a historical perspective on a situation where it will take enormous effort to stop an opponent whole only has to do a very little to render that enormous effort moot asymmetric. Yeah, I mean, it's the asymmetry of it is. Again, I'm struggling to come up with an example, a suitable example. Of course, we are in one of the first eras perhaps in human history where the idea of total war was seen as a super terrible, undignified're just a savage, in humane because in the past, if you know, a superpower was faced with this situation, you would just pound somebody into compliance.
Speaker 1: Right, whether you were a Genghis Khan, or the Roman army, or the French or the Germans or the English, depending on who had the upper hand at the time. Spain had the upper hand on France yesterday apparently, or the Persians or the Spartans for that matter. Right, that's the way you would do it, and that's why it was. We had that same asymmetry going on in Iraq and Afghanistan, which made it so difficult. We'd have troops out there, we had rules of engagement. They just had to make some sort of cheap, crappy bomb that you could set off with a cell phone to blow some people's legs off, which is horrifying. And what do you do about that unless you're willing to just lay waste like has happened throughout human history. The most powerful force just lays waste until you stop doing that. Right, But that's not what we're willing to do or the world will tolerate anymore. So, yeah, I don't know. There hasn't been a good way out of this situation yet. It'll tolerate it if we make them. On the other hand, does the American electorate to have the stomach for that?
Speaker 2: The answers probably know. I would just remind you all of Sherman's incredibly gentlemanly and eloquent letter to the leaders of Atlanta saying war is hell, War is misery, and the kindest thing we can do is to end it as quickly as possible, and that's what I intend to do. So no, I'm not going to call off the dogs. On the contrary, I'm going to be cruel to be kind.
Speaker 1: You also have the unique situation of fighting an opponent who doesn't mind dying. That's a fairly unique deal, too, true.
Speaker 2: They think it's a good thing, right, and one could certainly, and I'm not sure this is relevant to the discussion we're having, but it's certainly relevant to the politics. Point out that, you know, the whole uh war with Iran in this shape was not a war of necessity. Knocking the nuclear programs back way back was certainly this necessary, but you know, taking out their whole leadership and calling for the people to rise up in the streets and the rest of it was. Oh, that was an interesting gamble. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the National Review podcast and Noah Rothman, who we had on the air a couple of weeks ago, is trying to spin it in such a way that this is actually a positive.
Speaker 2: Thing going forward. He could be right. I don't know. He could be right, but I don't know. We will see. I always darkest before the dawn, Jack, it's always darkest before it's totally black.
Speaker 1: We get two percent of our oil coming through the Strait. It's a bigger deal for the rest of the world, way bigger deal for the rest of the world than it is for us. That's one interesting part of this is we started the war, the Strait was opened before we started the war. The war closes, it doesn't really have much effect on us. It has a lot of effect on Japan and China and Europe and lots of other people, but not us.
Speaker 2: Well, I disagree. There are and I've never used this term before in my life. This is exciting. There are knock on effects. Jack. Oh, No, I didn't like it. It didn't feel good, just because if it strangles the rest of the world. We're part of the world economy, and it may not impact us as quickly as or severely, but it'll impact us for sure, especially as oil reserves are running dangerously low. According to experts I have read.
Speaker 1: You would think the rest of the world would want the straight open, like really want it open.
Speaker 2: I think they are so flabby and unused to action. I don't know where to start. That's me.
Speaker 1: You're listening to an expert on the top. I'm flabby and used to an action.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So well, Plus you know, we've we've got a significant military force there, so you know, if the if Japan decided you know what this is or righteous cause I'm not sure exactly what that would look like anyway, but I think we may well find out, because we they everybody absolutely between a rock and a hard place. The path out of this is to say it's unclear, is to well to underestimate the murkiness of the situation.
Speaker 1: I s that Iran keeps firing on ships. I feel like they're good.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I haven't convinced you, But go ahead.
Speaker 1: Why weren't they better off just taking the money, dragging their feet on the nuclear stuff while they tried to make a bomb in that secret mountain hideaway that we saw pictures of in the New York Times over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Why didn't they do that? They have decided control of the Strait of Horrmus is their future. It's their nuclear bomb, it is their superpower. They must cement it. That is their only goal right now. Surely we are in charge of the straight period. That's their only goal.
Speaker 1: What's the chances the world allows that to happen? I feel like that's zero. We're back to the asymmetry problem. Though I agree with you in principle.
Speaker 2: But do does the quote unquote rest of the world have the stomach to do it's going to be necessary the asymmetry problem if.
Speaker 1: The word, If the world isn't willing to take on those nut jobs in Iran to keep a major waterway open, then forget about Taiwan and a bunch of other places. There's no way you're taking on China if you're not willing to take on the ragtag bunch that is, whoever those nut jobs are in Iran?
Speaker 2: Right? I agree? Wow?
Speaker 1: I mean we really are into a new era, flabby and unused to action.
Speaker 2: Practically the whole world. Pox Americana has been wonderful, wonderful for like every human being on earth for the last seventy five years, the Great American led international order. But it's made everybody soft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a bunch of euro countries feel. Convinced them that you can retire fifteen and take eight weeks vacation and not produce anything, right, because you don't need to spend money on military. I just saw France's economic growth numbers. I think their economy is going to grow by like zero point four percent this year or something like that, barely a tall as we're going to grow, you know, three point six or whatever. And it's just, yeah, the Euros are dying. They couldn't even beat Spain in soccer yesterday. He couldn't score a single goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, nice job, France, Vivola, you suck.
Speaker 1: Spain looked really good though, Oh I watched it every minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then England Argentina today, which I'm actually excited about.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for that. What is that game? It's it a weird time, I don't know, middle of the night. No, No, it's like in the afternoons. Let me figure that out.
Speaker 1: So the localistics, So we've had a lot of security all around the country for the soccer matches going on because of you know, any big event there's always a.
Speaker 2: Worry about terrorism or something like that.
Speaker 1: But in particular, they they announced that by far they've got more security for Argentina England today because of the animosity that has existed for so long that you told us about yesterday, which I had no idea of. If you'd have told me about rivals, I would have never thrown out England in Argentina. But the end of God, the goal of the century, the Falklands War hatred is that. Yeah, so they're tremendous security around that thing. Apparently I should tell that story about when I went to a soccer match in where I was near a soccer match in Siena between Ciena and Florence. I mean, that's what soccer is like for the world. We don't care about soccer in the United States, so we don't have this sort of thing. But the rest of maybe you go, you have a beer and a hot dog and say that was fun, you go home again. Yeah, let's start to show officially much to talk about today. I'm Jack Armstrong, He's Joe Getty on this it is how did it already get to be? Wednesday, July fifteenth of the year twenty twenty six, War Armstrong the getting we approve of this program.
Speaker 2: Here we go, let's begin officially according to the f SEC rules. Rags at Mark One.
Speaker 3: Research that said to me, they use the African fighters mostly as cannon fodder. They come over, they're often not well trained, and in any case, they then forced them towards the front line because they want to use them in an assault wave. They want to send this wave of bodies forward to try and exhaust Ukrainian and troops and ammunition.
Speaker 2: A different horrifying conflicts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Russia has been advertising to the rest of the world, the poorest people in the world that hey, come to Russia and you get a job or whatever, and you get there and your job is you're in the military, and they send you to the front. And that's where those statistics came from from the New York Times a couple of weeks ago, where the average life span of people who land once you get to the front twenty minutes. Twenty minutes so you're some African guy you answer an ad saying, hey, honey, if I'm away for six months, it can work as a like mowing parks in.
Speaker 2: Russia and your family support us for years. Right right, I'm gonna go do it. And then they go and they put a gun in your hand and a gun to your head and say, yeah, attack that village.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure they even put a gun in your hand. You might just be running at the Ukrainians. Why would you waste a gun on somebody's gonna last twenty minutes? God dang it, that's all. He takes a certain sort of person to be able to do that, I mean, to force people to do that, to be in charge and know you're doing that. Putin is an evil, evil bastard, and those of you come down to the squad level, evil, corrupt, murderous bastard, and those of you have been convinced that Putin's standing up for Christianity or something.
Speaker 2: I do not know what's going on there. You're fools. That's what's going on.
Speaker 1: We got some more headlines and a bunch of other stuff to talk about. I see more stuff about the Odyssey on TV every time I look up that movie.
Speaker 2: It better be good. It better be good.
Speaker 1: I'm going this weekend. He'd better make it back home and see his wife or I'm gonna be very unhappy. Reviewer Richard Roper said it was one of the best movies he's ever seen. I don't doubt if Christopher Nolan does good stuff. Oh yeah, yeah, he's amazing. I just can't picture Matt Damon in this role. But maybe I'm wrong. He's a gifted actor. Give him a chance. Should have let Russell Crowe shave his beard, lose a few pounds, and he'd have been a perfect different, different movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll get to that stuff next.
Speaker 1: Stay here, so before we get some some other headlines, just following up on the one we are talking about, you know, bombing people back to the Stone Age or making them submit or whatever, which is what Senator Tom Cotton has been suggesting with Iran. Trump had a meeting in the situation situation room yesterday with all the big players. And you meet in the situation room when you want things to be super super secret and not leak in theory anyway. According to Axios, Trump appears to be willing to escalate the war to cause enough damage that the Iranian regime will submit and open the straight of horror moves and accept the nuclear demands. They're talking about the most serious strikes yet on all kinds of different stuff. Now, whether they just leak, Mark Halprin says, that's the story, you leak out on purpose to let the Iranians know you're serious. Problem with that is, are you actually serious or not? So?
Speaker 2: So many hollow threats have been made. I suspect it's time now for the ass weapon, but who knows. I've thought that several times. Yeah, I know, I know, and full of headlines for a US inflation rate was three point five percent June, down for four point two percent in May and below economists expectations, maybe the economists expectations or two. But anyway, three and a half percent is being hailed as good news. That's almost double the Fed's intended rate of two percent. So I'm a little skeptical.
Speaker 1: Well so the lowest since pre pandemic, which is really quite amazing because the pandemic was six years ago now. But yeah, we lived with two percent our entire adult lives and it's practically double.
Speaker 2: Like you said, Yeah, but three.
Speaker 1: Point five is better than four point two anyway, so it seems to be an improvement.
Speaker 2: Although a note of caution, that was.
Speaker 1: The month, the calmest month in the current conflict with Iran so oil prices and the resulting, you know, lowering of many other prices.
Speaker 2: We're going on that month. Who knows what the truth is? Well, I know there's way too much reporting and it's too dumb generally about economics. Point check has made a million times. Kathy hokel oh I mentioned New York may be the dumbest state. Kathy Hochel and ounsdays statewide moratorium on data centers on Tuesday. You can't build any data centers in New York reminds one of AOC's idiotic stands against that Amazon distribution center that would have provided so many jobs.
Speaker 1: We talked about this yesterday when the news broke, and you seem to have some hesitation whether or not that's even legal. Can a governor just cancel a big segment of industry like that.
Speaker 2: Right exactly? Can you have a moratorium on a sector of society? I haven't read the law. I mean it might be of above, you know, fifty thousand square feet or something like that.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't it be like saying, we are not going to have a dairy business in this state. We will not be involved in the dairy business. No airplane hangars, why exactly? Yeah, hardware stores?
Speaker 2: About five? Where does the coverman get off in banging a private enterprise that breaks no other laws?
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's just accepted this headline. I haven't heard any analysis on this. Maybe we'll have to ask ten.
Speaker 4: It's a Chinese woman in Las Vegas pled guilty to marrying at least fourteen men at the same time. When asked if she knew what she did was wrong, she responded, I do.
Speaker 2: Uh in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: So I was there just a couple of weeks ago, and we were dragging the strip in the classic Mustang that I rented, me and my son, and we're going by all those little wedding chapels that they have, and I was trying to explain to my son about the like Quickie Vegas marriage. But don't have a good explanation as a why was that ever a thing?
Speaker 2: How is it still a thing?
Speaker 1: There are we probably passed eight different tiny little some of them are drive through wedding chapels. I would assume they're only open because they get enough business to make it profitable. Why are there still so many people doing the quickie Vegas wedding? Do you know anything about that?
Speaker 2: No, I really don't. I'd be guessing. I mean, my guess is that a certain number of people, a certain number of people don't want a big wedding, but they want to have fun. They want the wedding to be something just not the conventional, and Vegas will do it for you with a dozen different varieties, I guess. And they're supposed to go down to the justice of the piece and signing papers and walking home, and enough people do it to keep those places open.
Speaker 1: They're all really small, like the size of a Dutch Brother's coffee, and there's lots of them.
Speaker 2: How many folks are still getting the Elvis themed wedding? Like an Elvis imitator? I am personator does that because that was big for a minute and.
Speaker 1: Drove by that place. Yep, yeah, it still exists. There's just one. Do they have some sort of some sort of license from the Estate of the King or something.
Speaker 2: I know, you'd think the First Amendment would protect faux elvi from prosecution.
Speaker 1: So every six months or so we change the clock in this country, and every six months or so we have an actual conversation about why do we do this? And Congress voted overwhelmingly yesterday.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even close.
Speaker 1: It was three hundred some to one hundred sum to make daylight saving time permanent. But the bill faces an uncertain fate in the Senate. Why I don't understand the resistance to this. Why I wish I were a congress person, so I could have suggested an amendment, a sunset clause, which is actually kind of funny if you think about it, a sunset clause.
Speaker 2: How about we try it for two years, and if we decide we don't like.
Speaker 1: It, we'll go back. It's not going to be a disaster. We might just decide we like the other one better. This isn't a big deal. First of all, I don't understand Arizona and Hawaii don't do it.
Speaker 2: There aren't stacks of dead bodies.
Speaker 1: People don't just run around screaming because the time didn't change.
Speaker 2: They don't know how to act.
Speaker 1: It seem to be fine, right to let it go, even do it for a year, and then everybody will get together and say I thought it was okay, two thirds of the world does not do it at all. The third of the world does. Let's try it and see what happens. We'll either like it or not.
Speaker 2: Putting aside your trademark mirth Ah, what is is this uniquely American or twenty first century or yet another example of a very comfortable, wealthy people. We fear change. We've talked about this with the tax code a million times. Anybody who would design the federal tax code as it is right now should be permanently held in a mental institution. Okay, our tax system is completely insane and bizarre. It's kafka esque.
Speaker 1: And yet whenever a perfectly coherent, reasonable proposal comes along to say, hey, how about we totally reformer text system and do this instead, people go crazy about the small inconveniences, And.
Speaker 2: I've heard that. Mean to know, we should probably stick with their courts.
Speaker 1: This fear of change, that's got to be an evolutionary thing, where it's we're alive and our kids are alive, let's not mess with things, which is kind of the essence of conservatism really, So it's got to be that. At the same time, though the pace of change in the modern world is is dizzying. But if we all get together to vote for some everybody really hesitates. Well maybe you've seen it in your own life, your own household, but sometimes I have to point out to myself or my kids, like.
Speaker 2: You're going to change some minor thing, and then there's the there's the but what of this? What if that?
Speaker 1: Okay, if we don't decide we don't like you sitting there and me sitting there at the dinner table, we'll.
Speaker 2: Go back to the old way. Nobody's right.
Speaker 1: Guy absolutely anthropologically right. It's got to be anyway. The vote was not even close in the House. I don't know why they are going to be stumbling blocks from the Senate to this major, major thing that they do in Arizona, and tons of old people seem to be perfectly fine with it.
Speaker 2: Oh that reminds me speaking of changes next door in New Mexico.
Speaker 1: They would go, well, they'll set themselves on fire if for some reason we didn't change the clocks twice a year, dogs lying down with cats, families turning on each other.
Speaker 2: This will not happen. But I love the idea. Did you know I should come up with a better form of the question, when did Americans start voting for their senators? Individual voters? When did they start voting for senator? I'm going to go eighteen thirty, nineteen thirteen. Really, yeah, the Senate was elected by state legislators until nineteen thirteen. From seventeen eighty nine to nineteen thirteen, not a single American casta ballot for the US Senate. Then the Seventeenth Amendment, one of our were changed senatorial elections to the direct popular vote following state level reforms in the years prior. In June, a representative of Texas proposed legislation to repeal the seventeenth Amendment, ending the direct election of senators that's started in nineteen thirteen. As I mentioned repeatedly, I would love to see this happen.
Speaker 1: You would, Yeah, I was just trying to noodle it through since I hadn't thought about it at all. So in your one party states like California, it would end the chance of any Republican being a senator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly, certainly would in the current you know state of things.
Speaker 1: Or the reverse in your rer read states. I'm not trying to make this a partisan thing, so you wouldn't have the chance to like cast a blow against the party in charge by getting one senator from the other party in your state, or something right right, the outside of it would be I've lost my faith in voters.
Speaker 2: That would be the upside, right right. The original constitutional provision that the state legislatures choose the senators, uh, it was not only not an accident, it was one of the least controversial questions at the Constitutional Convention. There's no serious dissent to it. You want to hear the reasoning. The Framers built a bicameral congress in which the House would represent the people directly and the Senate would represent states. As states with their own institutional interest in resisting federal encroachment. A senator chosen by an answerable to a state legislator had every incentive to defend that state's prerogatives against Washington and not be a populist not or a you know, Instagram fame seeker or whatever. Senator who needs a national fundraising operation, a national media profile, and a national donor base to win reelection often has little incentive to be just a fierce representative of their state. Right.
Speaker 1: So this sort of fits into the argument that I brought up yesterday, which was floating around online over the weekend. There was a movement AOC might have brought it up or somebody about how why does New York State, which has New York City, have two senators when the population of New York City alone is bigger than I think it was Montana, South Dakota, and North Dakota, Wyoming and Alaska added together, and that's ten senators. So and the argument would be what you just said there, because then it's going to become the federal government or big cities making decisions for the entire country. Now, people who live in big cities think that that makes sense for the rural areas, but it doesn't being a person who's spent most of my life in rural areas.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, and the differing interests of the differing parts of the country just you know, in general, it's in genius design that the founders came up with, and we've made the Senate more populist and more to quote James Madison to something or other from the people's momentary passions. The design is as it was originally said, a body removed from the immediate popular passion would provide a defense to the people against their own temporary errors and delusions, preserving public opinion's true interest until reason, justice, and truth can regain their authority. Meaning you know the off heard phrase that the Senate is the saucer that cools the milk. It would be a very very careful, very slow moving, deliberative body. It would be essentially a committee of all fifty states getting together and saying, hey, let's be fair to everybody here. I don't have to run for reelection in a couple of years. In fact, as long as I represent Montana faithfully, I really don't have to worry about re election at all. But in the you know, in the interest of the people of Ontana, I've got to tell you, this scheme to drain all of our water and send it to Los Angeles ain't good. So that's what the Senate was supposed to be. I like it. Populism, especially in the age of the Internet, I think is a dangerous force. Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the Senate being staggered, so you can't have a wave that really upsets the Senate as opposed to the House where you can where if all of a sudden there's a passion about a war we're in, or a tax policy or whatever. You can have a giant wave happened within two years, right, which is just you know, like you said, it's a really an ingenious system.
Speaker 2: As to the night were accidentally building a case here. Let me throw in one more thing real quickly, because the president now is the party which can ride cause wild wild swings in policy. And then you have senators who right now, for populist reasons, are kind of afraid of opposing the sitting president. I'll admit it. It's true, you see it all the time. This would fix that to a large extent. Ah, You're right.
Speaker 1: In terms of the national elections thing, though, I was reading some piece about how much more we have that now than we used to. You run on whether you were with Donald Trump or Joe Biden. It used to be all my whole life what you heard on the like Tim Russert's style, meet the press or whatever. It was all politics are local, and that's just not true anymore. All politics is national, right, right, It's all about what everybody's watching in the news and whatever hot YouTube video or whatever, including politics, which is bitterly needs to be local, becomes national. Yeah, I mean, I got into a conversation sort of with a guy last night about the It was a crazy drug addict, homeless person screaming their head off violently near a group of people last night, and I went out and dialed nine one one and the cops talked to him. And then the cops called me back and said, yeah, we know this guy. We talked to him all the time. And I mentioned to a friend. He said, yeah, because they talk to him every day. Somebody calls nine to one one every day because he's dangerous and scary, and they come and talk to him every day, and he's still on the street, right, And kind of got into the whole idea because of our whole nationalized politics, you've got this crowd that well, to do anything about the crime or homelessness or this or that would be make you a Trump person or not a Trump person, which is a ridiculous way to look at your local school, your local taxes, your local water, your local whatever. You know, just like through the pandemic with masks and schools and everything else is Trump order against it.
Speaker 2: That's the way we run everything now, right, or you know, to put the shoe on the other foot if some senator had been willing to stand up to Joe Biden and say, hey, this is a gigantic, multi trillion dollar COVID bailout is going to cause spiraling inflation. I won't do it.
Speaker 1: You couldn't threaten to primary him, because the people of a state, the legislature of a state is say here, I'm glad he stood up to you.
Speaker 2: That's fine. We'll decide who our senator is not you pouring a bunch of money into our elections and trying to whip up the populace base. Blah blah blah. I like it. Probably won't happen, but I like it. M I had a physical yesterday.
Speaker 1: Apparently you have to have one every so often according to your insurance or something. I hadn't had one in a long time.
Speaker 2: You go to Trump's doctor, so he would declare you the most physically fit talk show host in history.
Speaker 1: Here's the worst thing, and I'm not going to lie about this for the rest of my life. Uh oh my height. Oh you'd say, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Freaking gravity man. No, you pastor my yr own business. You had your dang old discs between your vertebrae. They get squashed it's maddening. I know, I know. My doctor actually said, he said, call yourself what you used to be. No, it doesn't cost anything. Jack's gone from six foot two to four eleven. I mean, it's really really shocking. Had to get rid of all his clothes. All right, the pants I keep, I gotta like buckle him around my neck. It's really kind of a jumpsuit.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I can't go on those amusement amusement rights anymore. Right, I'm too short for It's terrible. Damn it.
Speaker 1: We've got mail bag next they here, Are you serious, Hanson?
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Mike Hanson, our executive producer, just sat in my ear. Trump just endorsed Mike Lindell for governor of Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Nobody. He threw back his head with a laughter after he did it. You think I don't know? Oh wow, wow.
Speaker 1: You know, I'd like to like to meditate on that announcement for a few minutes before I comment, yes, Michael will.
Speaker 2: Vote for me. Get one pillow free.
Speaker 1: It might be two years ago today that I met Mike Lindell, because it was the beginning of the Republican Convention two years ago today, and I remember meeting him and he was not really much interested in talking to me.
Speaker 2: Mm, that's a shame. Here's your freedom loving quote of the day, sent along by Brian in Beautiful Santa Rosa. Actually he writes on a number of different topics. Ah, it's from Thomas Paine. When men he let women vote. Now, so we'll say people, when people yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, self governing people has to be a thinking people. But oh boy, that's a can of worms. We don't have time for the discussion mail bag canned worms delicious? Hmm. Drop us a note mail bag at Armstrong you gety dot com. Brian also wants to weigh in on the topic of the brand new, sweeping the West Coast computerized AI dating platform, in which you don't look at pictures and swipe right left, you align common interests and attitudes and that sort of thing, which might actually be worse than basing it on looks the more I think about it, Yeah, I don't know's it's funny. Well, we'll let the comment. There's comment, but he says it's funny how computer geeks don't get the spark that's caused between two people when they meet. I've had several in my life. Fortunately I'm happy and Mary now don't have to go down that missy messy road. But back when I was young, you just had a certain something. Oh, we're right.
Speaker 1: There's a line from a counting Crow's song Edam dur it sings and then he's heartbroken or whatever. But then you look across the room and see the weight, the way that light attaches to a girl. There's just something that happens sometimes with people. You look at somebody and then something what happens in your brain and you have no idea why, and they're never going to figure that out with I don't think algorithms.
Speaker 2: And Alex actually quotes a lyric from one of my favorite Rush songs Entre New which is friends for between us. I think it's time for us to realize the spaces in between leave room for you and I to grow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Judy has her stuff, I have my stuff. We have our stuff, and.
Speaker 2: It works great.
Speaker 1: It's quite possible that if you two listed your interests, the algorithm wouldn't put you together.
Speaker 2: Well right, yeah, uh, you know. In describing what makes relationships work, there's obviously a biochemical reaction that nobody can fully explain. And then her crazy and my crazy matchup. There's that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, that's the thing, no doubt about it. My worst qualities match up with her highest levels of patience and vice versa. Right, Why it works well, You and I have talked about how like in dealer with corporate stuff in the business, we've never both been too mad to deal with it at the same time.
Speaker 2: We've never both lost our ass at the same time. One of us storms out and the other is certainly willing to discuss this for whatever is not why, I don't know why it's not more male bag will sprinkle it. Well, we will get to that. We got more stuff on the way.
Speaker 1: If you missed the sec the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand, subscribe
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty