Speaker 1: Broadcasting from the Hip Hop Weekly Studios. You are now tuned into another episode of Civic Cipher. I'm your host, Ramsey's job.
Speaker 2: He is Ramsey's job. I am q Woard And you are absolutely tuned in for another segment of City Psyche.
Speaker 3: Indeed, you are so stick around. We got a lot in store for you today. We've got a special guest.
Speaker 1: Who's going to be having a couple of interesting conversations with us. He goes by the name of Ammy Horowitz, who is an American conservative documentary filmmaker and activist. He is the writer, producer, and director of Amy on Mlouse, a satirical short film series made for Fox News. And I know what you're thinking, what is going on, But the point of today's show is to start having some constructive conversations across the political aisle. And I do believe that Amy is the sort of person with the right temperament to begin having these conversations for.
Speaker 3: Us, because this is very new to us.
Speaker 1: Another thing that we're going to do a little later on in the show is how a very similar conversation with our special guest across the ethnic aisle, if you will. For those who have been paying attention to the news. Over the past let's call it year plus, there has been a little bit of friction between Black people and Jewish people, often stemming from black people's side of the equation, and we felt the conversation would be in order to attempt to establish a degree of understanding and really communication. We definitely believe in communication on the show here, and Ami has been kind enough to grant us an audience, so a person who obviously sees the world a little differently than we do. But we're hoping that this conversations that we have today will be informative, constructive, and hopefully lead to increased dialogue across several aisles. And again, this is kind of what we're hoping for today. But first and foremost, we are going to start to sh off as we always do with some ebony excellence, shall we we shall? So today's ABNY Excellence is sponsored by Hip Hop Weekly Media and we are reading from the Black Information Network. Today's ABNY Excellence is an acknowledgment of black CEO's reaching a record breaking high on the Fortune five hundred list.
Speaker 3: We thought that was very special.
Speaker 1: So allow me to read eight black CEOs lead companies that have landed on the twenty twenty three Fortune five hundred list, the most since the ranking's debut in nineteen fifty five. Per the company's website, two of the eight black executives joined the Fortune five hundred list for the first time ever. Calvin Butler Junior jumped up the ranks in December twenty twenty two as the CEO of energy provider Excellent, which landed at number two hundred and eighteen on the list. Christopher Womack, the CEO of Southern Company in Atlanta based gas and utility company, was also in your infant to the group of black CEOs after earning the top position in May.
Speaker 3: A third back. A third black.
Speaker 1: Executive, Renade Jones of New York, New York's M and T Bank, returned to the ranking after the bank was dropped off from last year's list due to a decrease in revenue through the rank.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Though the ranking holds a record number of black executives, they still only make up less than two percent of all Fortune five hundred CEOs. Black CEOs faced higher expectations to pursue that to prove their qualifications despite being more educated than the white counterparts. According to a twenty twenty two study published in the Strategic Management Journal. Quote, there are a plethora of talented, qualified, extraordinary leaders who happen to be black. It's never a surprise when they advanced to the c suite or even to the CEO position, quote, said Laura Morgan Roberts, an associate professor of Business administration at the University of Virginia's Darden School of Business. She goes on to say, it says more about the companies and the board of director's ability to develop an advance talent from all backgrounds than it says about the representation of the leaders themselves. So we want to shout out any advancement, certainly in the corporate world that we feel is a step in the right direction, and so shout out to the CEOs who landed on the Fortune five hundred list that are black. Moving on, it is time to talk to our special guests. So Ami, welcome to the show, of course, and for our listeners benefit, we gave you a brief introduction, but talk a little bit about yourself and what it is that you do and how people might be familiar with your work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny. I think you read it you wrote off my Wikipedia page, which is not entirely accurate.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll educate us.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, you know, look, people call me conservative filmmaker. I'm not sure I would I would qualify myself as that. Certainly I'm right of center on most things, but certainly go center or left of center on a bunch of things as well. Okay, and don't produce my work for Fox News. I've been on Fox News, but some reason that's on my Wikipedia page. My background actually was as an investment banker. I did that for about well. My career has kind of been doing things I had no business doing. So my first job was I actually ran out of college. I ran a campaign for State Controller of Maryland. I had zero experience in running a campaign, but for some reason I kind of fell into the job.
Speaker 3: This was a Democratic candidate, right.
Speaker 4: A Democratic candidate. All right, Look again, it's not about the letter. It's more about what people think for me and kind of what their perspective is, and do I align myself with that. This guy was kind of run up my alley on ninety eight percent of all the issues, and I thought, this is a guy who I think should be elected to this position, and afterwards I was trying to figure out what I want to do next. He said, well, why don't you go make some money first and then come back into politics. And I go, great, how do you make money? He goes be an investment banker like me, and I was like, I don't even know what that is. Never took a business course in my life. And I basically moved to New York without knowing anybody. And I mean, this is back when when payphones were around. You guys may not know what that is. Oh things out there that you just put you plugged in quarters and you could make phone calls. And got the Wall Street Journal and got a list of the investment banks and cold called investment banks until I and I'm going on too long, stop me, please no, please go ahead, And somehow got interviews and just kind of my way into my first entry level job and did that for about ten years. Wasn't never particularly good at it, but just was able to kind of get along, just move on. And then finally I decided, out of nowhere to make a movie again. Zero film experience, no idea what I was doing, but kind of fell had a knack for it. Made a my my first feature film or my only feature film about the the United Nations, kind of like a black satirical Michael Moore style documentary about the dangers and the failures of the UN and then never look back. This has kind of been my career since then.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, sure. Now.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I think that some people might know you for is is kind of that sort of satirical sort of like Man on the Street, just kind of getting interviews from people that is in the same vein of what our listeners might be familiar with from the likes of like The Daily Show with people like Jordan Klepper or Roy Wood Junior, just people just kind of getting out there. But you know, my understanding is that you've done these about topics that are well, you know what, why don't why don't I let you describe it a little bit more so, so talk to us about that facet of your career.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I kind of do several types of videos. Some are short documentaries where I'll go to Venezuela or I'll go to the Janine and I will you know, uncover or or kind of dig into a particular issue which I find interesting or I think that needs to be explained or exposed. And then another set of a video I do are kind of like stunt type videos where all you know, I'll wave, I'll have hidden cameras and I'll wave, give an ISIS flag on the Berkeley campus and see what people's reactions are to it. The next day I fly the US flag and see what people and compare contrasts and different reactions. And then the third type one you're referring to, a kind of man the street where I interview people around the world and try to get to the heart of kind of what they're thinking is and and get a sense of really what their and it's usually not me arguing with them. It's very rare I do. Yeah, it's more really trying to understand what they think and having them say the quiet part out loud. That's kind of like my real skill set. Oftentimes I will pretend to be a person that thinks similar to them, which makes them feel a little more comfortable. That's kind of where there might be some controversy. I'm not I don't really understand the controversy. People will say, well, you know you're leading the horse to water. I go, well, that may be true, but you can never force the horse to drink the water. Either they drink it, they don't drink it. You could lead me down any path you want, but I'm not going to say something I don't believe. So that's kind of been my style, kind of having them feel comfortable by me pretending to kind of think like they do.
Speaker 3: Sure so good.
Speaker 2: So for our listeners who might not be familiar running a campaign for a state controller into investment banking. For people who are not familiar with the role of a controller, I'm thinking that's fiscal or in some way a financial role for the state. Could you tell people a little bit more about what a state controller does, like a.
Speaker 4: Treasurer I think they call that, you know, in some states they call it control or something to call it treasurer. Yeah, the finance in the statement.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just wanted you to give that little bit of context for for listeners who weren't familiar with the term controller.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that I found interesting is that obviously here we consume a lot of media in order to get a well rounded view of events in the news cycle, and we found it problematic and and difficult to approach a lot of news from conservative sources, mostly because we felt this is our perspective, and I'm sure that a lot of people share this perspective. If you look at the the distribution of the population and by by ethnicity of who consumes what media sources, you might see a little bit of a trend. But we felt that a lot of news sources were anti black in some instances, the people that were elevated to you know, primetime positions were often the most hateful, the most divisive sorts of individuals, and we could see, you know, people profiting from allowing this divide to deepen and to protect our own sort of mental health and to just recognize that we kind of have a longer road here, we've limited intake from media outlets that are not entirely based In fact, you know, Fox News famously had to pay Dominion voting systems almost a billion dollars. Yeah, it was like seven hundred plus million dollars for basically elevating what ultimately as an unfounded and utter lie about the previous administration. And that is not their only sin.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 1: Even objectively, they are very very biased in one direction. And that's not to say that the true is not or the same as not true of other media outlets, but other media outlets, we don't feel their bias has as profound or as direct of an implication on the day to take lives of the most vulnerable people, at least by race. And so the reason I wanted to explain that is because where I'm going next is I've always felt by watching programs like The Daily Show, where they're kind of based in humor, they're a little bit more approachable for most of the population, you know, we just wouldn't want to have a laugh that we want to be informed as well. That they do have people like that. Those the sort of man on the street sort of people that go out and they, you know, like you, they tend to be aligned politically with the people they're interviewing, right, and they will ask questions to really see why people believe what it is that they believe, right, And obviously these people are seldom prepared to have these conversations because they were either taught or you know, that's just a reflection of their viewpoint, you know what I mean. And I think what we end up seeing and what we end up laughing at is that often enough these people are politically aligned with what they themselves will identify as being against their own interests in the moment in that interview, right, And so this is why we can all sit around and have a laugh. And so when I looked at some of your earlier work and saw something similar but from the opposite advantage point, I realized, you know what, not only is that fear, but that might be something that's missing. Because pure gold fears no fire, right, wrong is wrong, right is right. And when we're wrong on this side, or when we need to, you know, strengthen our arguments or whatever the case is, there's programmings like the ones that you put together that are necessary for us to really ensure that what we're thinking is based in a shared reality, and that our beliefs are not simply beliefs because we've been given them, but because they are indeed a reflection of who we are as a people and what we value as a people. Now, I know that my listeners would eat me up if I didn't mention that there is a difference in power, you know, depending on who you're talking to, and power in terms of their capacity to influence their immediate here now, either by voting or have some sort of fiscal impact or effect on their reality by withholding dollars or spending elsewhere or whatever. Those are who are the most vulnerable in the population typically don't have that same free them to change there, here and now the way that, let's be honest, our white male, often conservative, heterosexual Christian brothers do the value of a vote is less than the value of a vote from that specific type of individual, et cetera. Forgive me for going on and on, but I wanted to kind of get your thoughts on what it is that you are trying to accomplish, or at least we're trying to accomplish with your programs like Ami on the LuSE and Amy on the Street. What what did you think would come about as a result of those endeavors?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So so people often ask me, so why do I do what I do? Right? Who am I trying to speak to?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 4: Now am I speaking to? Who am I trying to speak to?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: If if you know, one of the things I'm very proud of is I built a significant audience who are non conservatives about it, pulling every once in a while on my basic get a sense of where they are politically roughly rather third are non conservatives. I mean they're left of center or independent, some left wing, but a few of those, but obviously the majority are conservatives. But why do I do what I do? Is because I feel that the center left and the center right have far more in common than the center right has with the far right, and the center left has with the far left. And it's unfortunate that most people on both sides don't realize that. And so my goal personally is to try to separate the center left from the hard left. I don't think they have a lot in common. I think the center left doesn't fully understand that, as the center right doesn't fully understand that. They don't. They have not that much in common with the hard right, and so I'm trying to speak to them. I'm trying to say, look, here is what the hard left believes, and I don't think this aligns with your worldview. And if you tell them, hey, the hard left believes in destruction of capitalism, open borders, transiting nine year olds, the centate left will say that's not true, that's right wing talking points. No one believes that, And my point is no, no, there are people who believe that here are those people, and I don't think that aligns your viewpoint. That's why I'm always trying to speak to and that's why I love to go on shows that don't speak to the typical conservative audience, which is just to me, he's preaching the choir, which has value, sure, but it's not who I'm trying to engage with. It's why I do a lot of videos on race. I try to speak to the black community whenever I can. I think I think black people and the right of center have more in common than either side actually thinks or nos. So that's an important audience for me. So yeah, I'm always trying to speak to a different audience and trying very hard not to alienate that audience for my content.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so here are some things, and please, you know, correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Actually, you know what, before I ask, I want to let you know that.
Speaker 1: What I'm going to do is I'm going to read some of the titles of some of the specials that you've done, give a little bit of background, just really briefly and sort of what you learned in doing them. But this first one is going to be kind of heavy. It's fair to let you know that on this show, we remain critical of policing the way that it is done in this country. We push back against the narrative that police are always the good guys. We recognize that we have been subjected to copaganda and that while there are I would assume a decent number of good human beings who happen to function in the capacity of a police officer, that there is a system that incubates bullying behavior. It insulates people from consequences of their biases, their hatred manifested in the form of violence against black and brown bodies. And we believe that our being critical of policing is important to get the best version of public safety possible. In other words, we just simply do not accept that this is the best that is possible. We simply reject the narrative that it's a few bad apples, because that has been a narrative that has been People have tried to establish that for decades, and people have tried to say that training is something that is necessary for decades. And I don't want to be born the whole life and then die and still have that be a narrative that is popular. A few bad apples, better training, et cetera. Right, So I need you to understand who you're talking to when I ask you these questions, because this title to a person like me and indeed our listeners now I know better, but a person like me, the title would seem like it flies in the face of an agenda that my people are trying to push, which is that our lives have worth. And that is really the beginning, middle, and end of the conversation. And when other people inject other elements into the conversation, we take it as noise or a subtle way of pushing back against our affirmation of our lives having value. And then obviously you know the story about Q and I with the trademark White White Lives Matter, and that whole pushback as well. So with that in mind, I want to ask you the intentionality behind and the result, in other words, what you learned of the do Cops Lives Matter initiative?
Speaker 4: So that was that video, the video where I had hitting camera.
Speaker 3: So I'm not entirely sure. I'm, like I said, I'm reading these titles.
Speaker 4: I believe that video was actually particularly interesting video. Okay, that video was This was the I believe the first iteration of black Lives matter.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're talking twenty twelve, Trayvon Martin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds exactly right. Okay, all right, let's go and was trust. So, the narrative that was of course being pushed then and to a sort of extent now, was that there's a lot of hatred of police officers within the black community. In fact, the video began with me and a lot of my videos begin with me in leftist white neighborhoods and then end with me in black neighborhoods, and that video, I believe, began with me in a white neighborhood, I believe Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and I was interviewing white leftists and I asked them, how do how do you think black people view the NYPD? And to a man, every single person was rage on the street. There's hatred of police officers. They find them all disgusting. It was just over and over the same narrative, kind of heard that, you know, it's just a hatred of police officers by black people around the country. Then the next shot was me in I believe West Harlem, I could have been East Harlem, and I had a T shirt that said, cops lives matter and hidden cameras, so almoys knows I'm being on film. I was trying to enlist what was the reaction I was going to get. So it seemed provocative, right, particularly among the black particularly when Black Lives Matter was happening, and the I didn't know and with a lot with with some of my videos, I kind of have a sense of what the response going to be. This is one of the few videos I really had no idea what the response was going to be. And the response was I thought incredible. Almost almost every single black person came up to me instead of course, cops lives matter. How can we love supporting the police officers? Of course we have problems, and they start telling me stories in fact about how cops were involved in their lives, saved them, help them. Some are black, some were white. And it was a really interesting experience where you got a perspective different than what the narrative I was hearing in the media was. But how blacks view police officers?
Speaker 3: Sure? Sure, and I appreciate that. Obviously.
Speaker 1: There's more titles. Do liberals know What's in the Iran deal? Ferguson. Protesters called for Darren Wilson's death. What do you know about the IRS and Obamacare after exposing or sorry and exposing anti Israeli companies in Ireland. So this is just the name of a few of these sort of specials that you've done with titles like that, and I believe that they're all much the same, like the one that you described. I do want to offer something there that you know, for a person like me, I recognize that that illustrates and illuminates that black people are not a hateful people. If we're painting with broad strokes, affirming our lives doesn't mean that anyone else's life matters less. And I think that it also suggests that black people can be subject to the influences of a white supremacist society A but also things like copaganda be the same as any other person, and those of us who have higher level thinking that can think critically about these things.
Speaker 3: It's our duty to inform and now Platon