Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio, Hey listeners. The following is a bite sized version of an episode of On the Job, a podcast from Express Employment Professionals that shares the experiences of everyday Americans finding their life's work. These clips can be humorous and heartwarming, sometimes both at the same time, and they're always insightful.
Speaker 2: Enjoy Welcome to On the Job. As you might be noticing if you're a longtime listener, I am not Otis Gray. I'm Avery Thompson, who you may remember hearing way back in season three when I told my story a brush with fame. Well, I'm back again and I'm excited to take the wheel for our whole new season of On the Job are seventh in fact, so over the next eight episodes, I'll be speaking with folks who have finally folded up those pandemic sweatpants and are back out there doing what they love and keeping America moving forward. This season, On the Job is on the move, so come along for the ride. It's become a bit of a tradition here at On the Job to start the season by speaking with an economist. So to kick things off, I gave a call to Raleigh, North Carolina, to speak with doctor Michael L. Walden, Professor Emeritus of North Carolina State University and veteran economist with over forty years of expertise. But before you go thinking, oh, no, an economist, hit the fast forward button, you'll be relieved to know that I chose a person that understands your apprehension and has made it his life's work to help people get over that econ phobia.
Speaker 3: One thing we're going to see more of to deal broadly with the labor shortage is something that we actually feared a decade ago, and that is technology.
Speaker 2: In other words, robots, well, also automation and AI, but yes, also robots.
Speaker 3: But I think some of those technologies have been developed, they may hit at just the right time.
Speaker 2: And it's no longer just factory jobs and other repetitive tasks that are at risk of being replaced.
Speaker 3: So I don't think we should get too set in thinking, oh, this labor shortage is going to go on. I do think eventually we're going to see a lot of this technology come in and be used by businesses. So I still think people need to worry about getting the skills that they need to get in order to get the job they want, and just don't be setting back and saying, oh, I can get a job anytime I want, because there's so many jobs deal I think eventually it'll change.
Speaker 2: So doctor Walden's advice, get that job now, Folks, strike while the iron's hot. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: A strong work ethic takes pride in a job well done.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of person you need. Express Employment professionals can help because in good times or bad, we understand how critical it is to manage your business for today with the right workforce.
Speaker 3: We offer hiring solutions to fit changing demands.
Speaker 2: Express knows Jobs.
Speaker 1: Get to know Express go to expresspros dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: We're back speaking with economist doctor Michael L. Walden, who is just reflecting on the very strong post pandemic labor market we're enjoying. But doctor Walden also acknowledges that even in a blazing labor market that heavily favors the worker, sometimes landing that job is easier said than done.
Speaker 3: We are probably in an era where what businesses want and the skills that are needed are changing more rapidly than any time before, and I think what's going to happen. This is not me saying this. The kind of jobs that are going to be applied for people and the skills that are needed are going to change.
Speaker 2: Only time will tell how things play out. But I hope for everyone's sake that doctor Walden is right and things won't be as bad as some of these doomsday pundits have been predicting that this labor market will continue to roar. But then, just as we were wrapping up our interview, I noticed hanging in the background of his office a long row of baseball caps, all of them bearing the logo of the Cincinnati Reds. And if you know anything about the Cincinnati Reds, then you know you have to be an eternal optimist to keep rooting for them.
Speaker 3: My Reds had a horrible season last year. I think they lost one hundred and two games, but I'm always optimistic about a lot of young players, so I'm looking for good things from the Reds. Maybe not World Series, but he's being competitive.
Speaker 2: So maybe we should take doctor Waldon's positive economic outlook with a grain of salt. Or maybe he's completely right and we'll see the Reds in the playoffs. For on the job. I'm Avery Thompson. I'll see you down the road.