Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Europe. I'm Stephen Carroll and I'm joined Bubloomberg's Breaking news editor Louise Moon for more. Louise, let's start in the UK with the retailer W. H. Smith on news of the resignation of its CEO.
Speaker 1: Indeed, this is quite a dramatic bit of news this morning. So their CEO has resigned with the media effect. That is, after a independent investigation from Deloitte into an accounting era in North America. So this was previously disclosed. It came to light in April and at the time it caused a Bootsmith to cut its profit outlook in North America and shares plunged also at the time. So Deloitte then investigated discounting era and released their findings essentially today, so they've blamed the problem partly on a lack of oversight. And then there was also quite a punchy line saying that the US unit had, in their words, insufficient systems, controls and review procedures. So WA Smith have announced this to market today. They also at the same time set out an even bigger hit to the North America unit then they had previously forecast, so not good news, and the CEO is resigning with immediate effect. Shares only fell modestly on the news, and then they're actually now just slightly ticking up into the green as analysts are saying that they're essentially finding some positives away from the CEO news, so they're saying that there is still a long way to go to rebuild credibility, but that w Smith have given some kind of reassurance on the UK market and the West the rest of the world as well, as that's a bit of a relief net. Death is lower than expected then so there is some potential sill for it to return to kind of long term growth, focusing on their travel.
Speaker 4: Unit, which is their main unit, and in North America as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's a very interesting one to be watching. Let's go to France next. The media group for Vendi's share is down thirteen percent nearly in Paris.
Speaker 1: What's going on indeed, so the French market regulator has essentially said that the Vendi's majority shareholders, so the billionaire Vincent Belore and his company must make a public offer for the Vendi shares within six months. So what's happened is Vendi broke up last year and the regulator says that at the time they should have offered to buy out other shareholders, so that they already own thirty percent, they're they're the majority shareholders, but they should have offered to buy out other shareholders at the time, and saying that they now should make a bid for the shares of what remains of the original company that's still listed. So this this kind of falls in favor of an activist investor. They've argued that the break up kind of gave preferential treatment to Belore over minority shareholders. And it all comes down to how much control the company has over decisions due to the structure of a Vendi of the company.
Speaker 4: So we'll have to say see.
Speaker 1: What happens if this this ruling by the regulator could be overturned in appeal, and it's not clear how much he would have to offer shareholders. But as you say, shares a moving on that news this morning, and you know, if this all goes through and shareholders to accept the offer, then Vivendi could potentially dealist.
Speaker 4: So we'll be keeping a close eye on what happens with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Indeed, an opinion from the French Advocate General, so one of the legal advisors to the court being reported by Lamand newspaper this morning. Keep part of that share moving story. Let's stay in France though and talk about caring warnings that will have to scale back reliance on Gucci.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Yeah, this so this was a report saying, yeah, that they would reduce their reliance on Gucci, which is obviously Carring's biggest brand, by kind of you know, developing other brands and focusing on other ones like Blentciaga. Also saying that they would need to scale back their store network and have a rethink about their price positioning as well.
Speaker 4: And this is all to return to growth.
Speaker 1: Shares fell on the back of that the most nearly two weeks unless is saying it's all quite vague, there's no definition of growth targets, there's no kind of hard facts, and the report did note that the actual officially official strategy plan will be presented next year, so those details potentially to come, but it just had to take a step back with the wider context. So that the CEO joined in June, and he was very welcome by investors. And one of the key things was was a revival of Gucci. So that hasn't yet happened. He has made some changes, there's a new boss and you vowing to cut costs and other measures. But all of these efforts pointed to a revival, but potentially a bit of a change in tone now saying that that Caring must reduce their alliance on Gucci, so shares not reacting positively on the back of that.
Speaker 2: The Stock Mover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.