Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Cianna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten, and.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching the films that people might consider great American films.
Speaker 2: Now. This podcast is a safe sisterhood for people who don't know anything about movies. Today, we're watching Little Women twenty nineteen. You're the rudest boy I ever saw. Warning there will be spoilers about this. Not that American old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe my major gripe.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you love when there's Americans. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, this is the one place I'm proud of us.
Speaker 2: It's it is weird because it's like, why, well, Sienna, may I please play you in my prediction? Yes? For little Please do okay careful because I am Okay, Hi, Sienna, It's Leanna. I'm about to watch Little Women twenty nineteen. I've seen this before. I saw it. I think possibly I saw this on Thanksgiving Day. Oh sorry, that's the fridge rat in the background, fridge rat. I predict Christmas vibes. Listen, I don't think the plot's gonna be surprise TiO Chalomey at angles that little twink and sorry, Sir Sharonan saying women, Florence Pugh being evil in a perfay, Emma Watson is there and Beth dies love you bye.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know now the moment where she says women, women, yes, women, Well, Leanna, shall we listen to my prediction for Little Women twenty Yes, okay, yes, Hi Leanna, this is CNI. I'm about to watch the newer Little Women, so I now know what's gonna happen in Little Women. But based on some of your reactions last time, I wonder if they've changed things around or if there are different versions like renditions.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, So I'll be interested to see what's different.
Speaker 1: I sure hope that I haven't imprinted too much on that last movie, which I loved so much. I predict this one will be blonder. I predict it will be a blonder version. And yes, that's because I know some of the actors. But the vibes just feel pastel and blonde, not derogatory.
Speaker 2: And just honestly, thank you for clarifying. Yeah, just I love you, goodbye? I see okay, yes, okay, yes, yes, yeah. I guess we.
Speaker 1: Should just read the book soon because I'm like, what is the story?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not doing that. What I mean, what is this? We've seen it twice?
Speaker 1: I know, but there are certain moments where you're like, wait, which who was actually doing the one from the book since they can kind of change it around, you know, like, oh, sure, small things about the timing of it anyway, so hilarious to refuse to read this book. I will never read Little Women.
Speaker 2: I am not doing that. I just feel like I've got it, Like, what, you know something, I got it? The book is I got it? Good to just get through. Yeah, you're like, yeah, I saw that. I remember I saw that in because they when they did that in the movie, so I knew that. You open it up. I already knew that seen it. Yeah, I have already heard it, Joe, Why would I need to read it?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 2: I'm sure you mean, but what were the sisters from last week? John, Lamey, Egg and Death? Yeah? Perfect?
Speaker 1: Their names really do translate really well to uh to their vibes.
Speaker 2: Hey girl, uh huh, where are you right now? I'm in a bathroom. There's a toilet behind me. But generally if this is a gorgeous bathroom, it's really I I met one of my puppet teammates' houses in Oakland, California. We're in Okay right now. Okay.
Speaker 1: We just taught a workshop in the bay. Here's a fun hay girl. Yesterday I went to a little kickback gathering, which was a very fun time. We played that game where you click through they show you like a random place on Google Maps and you try to guess it as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, geo guesser or something. Okay, it was very fun for a group. H And then also we ate that Trader Joe's Trader Joe's. It's called like Kringle. Is that a dessert? I don't shoot.
Speaker 1: It was an amazing dessert with some marzipan sort of almond flavors in it, and it was so good I genuinely couldn't stop going mm while eating out. Wow, Oh hmmm, do you like an almond flavoring? I?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, there's no way to say this without sounding like an a hole, so I'll just say it, say it, I do, But I worry about all of the water that ohducing and farming almonds consumes.
Speaker 1: I wonder is there a way for them to have like synthetic extracts at this point, I guess not. They probably just extract is probably one of the most Yeah, you know, like because all the flavoring manufactured. Yeah, I see what you mean, but that's so probably so extract is either the best way of using almonds because it's just the flavoring and doesn't actually have almonds many almonds in.
Speaker 2: It, or it's the worst because they.
Speaker 1: Have to make so many of them, so yez out the flavoring.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many almonds are in that bottle, in that little pipette? Oh, I don't know. Well, I get like that. I slept from Marzapan. I love Marzapan. Yah who knew? Uh huh Leanna, hay girl. How's it going? Hey girl? Listen? I went to a holiday party last night, which I was very proud of myself forgetting to because it started at eight forty five in the night, which is very late, and it was thirty minutes away by tube, and it was pouring rain and still I was saying that you arrived and went to that and it was it was a room full of people with MBA's. Okay. At one point they were talking about like the tax brackets in the UK. They were just talking about taxation in the UK, and I was like, yeah, of course, yeah, and they were like yeah, and then your income gets taxed. Forty percent of your income is taxed. And the funny thing is that happens once you pass a certain level of income. Oh before that, twenty percent of your income is town huh. And I think we can all guess which tier I'm in. And so she was like, yeah, forty percent of your income and I was like, yeah, forty percent. I know. Oh what does she do? They all work in business now, okay, they all have MBAs from a program that they all did together. I flirted so hard at a man with an MBA that I definitely scared him. And it was one of those like he was the only viable option, you know, Like it was just so like, oh my gosh, I remember there was one nothing else years ago when we were in a car.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that was awful, and we were all there was this one guy who wasn't that interesting? In any way, shape or form. No, but there were like four of us there, all single, and Leona goes he is all of our only option.
Speaker 2: And we all became so aware of it.
Speaker 1: But it's true. We were all trying to flirt with him all night, even though he was kind of just a stick with.
Speaker 2: Hair, genuinely, and that gets you so far in Los Angeles among creatives. Yeah, this was a similar but he was a business stick, like well put together business, it's a business stick. He didn't like Wicked, which we haven't yet had a chance to discuss, but is wrong and I don't respect that opinion. And it's one of those things and you are a hater. It was an unfortunate moment of self realization once again, of like I'm just so not for men, Like I'm so not what they're looking forever where certainly not so funny. I'm just so funny in social settings and such a pleasure to have in class and they don't want you to be that. Uh yeah, so I was myself and again it didn't work out. Yeah, happy holidays.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I was just zooming out, zoning out a little bit right when you said that. That sent gave me a memory of watching the time when a girl in my class was like, I like your or he kept saying, I like your sweater. She's like stop and he's like, I like your sweater.
Speaker 2: She's like stop. And then I turned around and it was like it was it's a sweatshirt, not a sweater. See it's cotton. It's technically a sweatshirt. See it's cotton. I was like, I'll protect you, don't worry. I mean, in that way, you are very Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some ways when Joe is at her most there are times where I'm like, why do I act like I'm from the Civil War? Sometimes in terms of my feminism, being like, don't make me a wife? Yes, you're always saying that, well, Leanna. Shall we move on to the episode about the movie?
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. I can start with a synopsis. Perhaps I'd love that this is.
Speaker 1: A synopsis that I simply just end part way through Little Women twenty nineteen. It's the story of Little Women, but this version is from twenty nineteen. Joe is a writer who fears marriage. Amy is a painter who is her family's only hope for high class status.
Speaker 2: Beth loves piano, parentheses dies. Yeah, and Meg wants a family and has trouble with the American accent. It's Pastels and it's Greta Gerwick. The end, how's your sister. She's having a lot of trouble with the American accent.
Speaker 1: This one is also out of time. The other one was chronological. This one's out of time, which is back and forth, which I got to say. At the beginning, I was like, I don't know about this. I don't know about this. I don't know about this, and then boom, it got me and I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yay, it worked well. It worked well that way. Yay. Well, before we dive into phone notes, could I just get a spoiler alert from you? How did you feel about the movie the beginning?
Speaker 1: I was wary for a while, and then I accepted the way that these movies are different because they are they're trying to achieve something very different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My takeaway was that the one from twenty or the one from the nineties was warmer and more like familial, like it was like focused on making them really feel like a family, but that the twenty nineteen one was a lot more emotionally poignant and kind of like more fun.
Speaker 2: This in our sort of modern fun in our modern way anyway. I at first I found myself I was missing, like, oh I miss the mom talking to.
Speaker 1: The daughters and things like that. But then I really liked Amy in this one because she was developed more. Yeah, so yeah it it grew on me a lot. Yeay, yeah, okay, and then by the end I.
Speaker 2: Was like, this is awesome, so yay, yay, Oh my god, thank god. I didn't know what I was gonna do if you didn't like it. It was it was gonna be one of those things where it was like, unfortunately, you would just be wrong. Like there are many movies where we are our opinions are subjective, but this one, for yeah, No, it was tough.
Speaker 1: At the beginning to directly compare the two. Yeah, but yeah they are they're different movies.
Speaker 2: This one felt they are different movies.
Speaker 1: It was like it felt more like the play being cast with actors, you know, versus like trying to actually just represent a family from a book, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, part of it's because I recognized all these actors and.
Speaker 1: Stuff, and also Florence Pew was supposed to be playing your child.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: But but when you think of it as like a play that's cast with actors. It's not like that's so dumb, it's sort of it's sort of fun, and that's kind of the point, you know, like, let's see Florence. Please, can you obviously her age? They're not going to de age her or anything weird like that. Let's just accept she's the actress playing this child. And I got on board.
Speaker 2: Did you notice that they had a bigger gap of years in between the story? They said seven years ago instead of four. No, I think that timeline it's appropriate. If I hadn't seen the last movie, I'm not sure if the timeline would have if I would have understood it completely. But I wasn't like that wasn't throwing me so much, you know what I mean? But it did help that I've seen the last movie with the chronological aspects. Anyway, let's get into our phone notes, shall we?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Shall we get into our phone notes? Hello everybody, and welcome to our phone notes, where we give notes that we took on our phone while watching the movie. Leanna you your first note is Sirsha's Rome's Roman.
Speaker 2: Do you get it? Like? Roaming? Was she roaming? At the beginning? Do you get it though? Like, thank you? Yes, she was Roman. She's rending around Roman. She is just a likable lass. Oh I love her so much too. Wow. Oh Cianna, you're yeah you wrote okay, well of course you like this one. The guys are way hotter. They are way hotter. It's women's right. Particular boyfriend? Oh oh is that? I know?
Speaker 1: I've never seen him ever again. I loved when she turned around her whole family standing there, like.
Speaker 2: I know, guy, who was that? What's good? What's there? What's that about? Did Marilyn Streep just invite your sister to Paris instead of you? I'm so sorry. We'll be right back. Girl. Can I just jump to this? Why is Timothy shallow May in this film? How do you feel about Timothy shallow May? I don't trust him. I hate him?
Speaker 1: What I really I've like tried, for example, this one to be honest. Also, because you like this one so much, I was like, I'm gonna give him a chance.
Speaker 2: Oh that's okay, and I should have told you ahead of time. I love the movie.
Speaker 1: I hate him, okay, all right? Yeah, my default is to really not like him and stuff. He's one of those actors where it's impossible for me to tell if he's doing a good job because I'm so aware that it's Timothy Shalome.
Speaker 2: Standing there right.
Speaker 1: For some reason, he doesn't blend into any atmosphere in my.
Speaker 2: Mind, I feel that way so much. Yes, even though.
Speaker 1: It's like that's it's been that way since he's become a star. He's always just been this like made up, this movie star person.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I was a little bit by the end once.
Speaker 1: He's officially like supposed to be kind of like a little bit of a loser because he's not gotten all the things he wants. I the first time I enjoyed him in this like genuinely was like, oh, I'm kind of glad he's here. Was when the hot European guy was there and he was kind of like, who's this guy?
Speaker 2: I loved that that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that energy worked for me, and I was I was, I wish that to only see him in that role the couped yeah, because otherwise I'm just sort of confused.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: He supposed to be a total charmer. He does that like spin around thing. It feels like he's always copying an actual charming actor.
Speaker 2: To me, Oh, my gosh, you know what I mean. Did you see call me by your name? No? I think that's the only environment in which he belongs, which is like the young son, yeah, of a wealthy family living in a villa in the Italian countryside for the summer.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm confused seeing him anywhere else, because that's so obviously how what he's supposed to be cast as. Yeah, that seeing him as anything like the idea that he wasn't supposed to be like from the richest family.
Speaker 2: But I think he was right. But like the fact is, yeah, okay, okay, just later when the ant is like, don't man just like his face isn't from any era. Yeah, he doesn't. Definitely not from this one. He just has that same thing that I think you once described Darren Chris as of like clearly hasn't suffered.
Speaker 1: Things have just worked out and worked out and there like I don't know, I just this goofy guy who things work out for Leanna. You've said, wow, I really haven't write your notes yet. You've said, thank God, this man is hot. I thank god every day this man is hot.
Speaker 2: Thank God you thank God. Every day every day I wake up, I say God, thank you, thank you forgiving. I'd like to thank you God that Friedrich was hot in the twenty nineteen version of Little Women.
Speaker 1: It was I get I do get now. I was fine with the last one. But if you'd seen this first, I get why you could be bad about that one.
Speaker 2: The absolute revulsion of that ancient man that they made Winona Ryder kiss on the mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leanna, you said, you said, every March sister fighting for her life against her natural accent, which does add some suspense to the film.
Speaker 2: Does It's fun because you're always listening to it, like is she gonna get it? Yea? Is it gonna sitting in the like in the nose like that? No, No, I'm not, or like somebody said heart and it was like ha, And I was like, okay, no.
Speaker 1: My hair, what have you done to my hair?
Speaker 2: They're they're they're speaking very carefully.
Speaker 1: I kind of I really do. I do love seeing the struggle.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: That's why I like to watch bad singers and musicals.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, uh. I wonder why it seemed this might Why did you think this might be the case?
Speaker 2: Lea?
Speaker 1: You said, if Sienna, if you don't like Amy in this You are wrong. Why were you worried? I worried ill at first when she was the child version.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. For a sec, do you know what I think? I was worried there was gonna be an irreverence. Oh there was Lady Chatterley's lover. I completely understand that there's any there's no tit in this film, but I was worried that there was going to be that, and then as a result, you maybe would not just be like taking in Florence's perform on That is completely understandable, but I'm sorry I ever doubted you. No, it's understandable, and in fact, again I think that this movie even speaks to I wasn't very trusting at the beginning because it was impossible to not directly compare it to the movie I saw right before. But it still won me over.
Speaker 1: So Wow, the ending of this movie was really good, Like the second half was the second half slaps.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love what they did with Amy in this movie. I know me too, like her adult version of her character. That was good.
Speaker 1: That was my biggest issue with the last one was that she didn't have a personality, which was such a waste because she's kind of Joe's biggest Like they fight the most.
Speaker 2: M hmm, they have a lot of.
Speaker 1: Conflict despite having a lot of the same desires. Are both being kind of feisty, you know, like yep, they just get really mad at each other. And they just didn't do that much with her as an adult last time. But this one mm, Yeah, I enjoyed her a lot. She was feistier and she I liked what they did.
Speaker 2: Also with her her aunt Meryl Streep just saying directly to her.
Speaker 1: That made that put it all into perspective for me that she's like, the reason I'm taking you is because you're genuinely the only one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, because they fleshed.
Speaker 1: Out Amy's character so much more, we could see the ways in which Joe can be annoying, which is important, you know. It's not just like, well, Amy's the best one and her sister sucks and then she gets better when she gets older. Instead, it was like, Joe, why do you think you could possibly be the one going to Europe? Like Amy has teens too, but hm, and also like you completely abandoned your great aunt or your aunt like you don't you don't hurt any like her. Yeah, you're not trying at all. Yeah, Aleon you said meg still egg. Yeah I felt that, Leanna. You've said, bring back group dances.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what are we doing here? Not havings when they're at the I guess opera again, But then they're in like an ale hall in really cute. It does sound really you're dancing. What the hell? What are we doing? Have you been to line dancing, like queer line dancing?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I went.
Speaker 1: I went a couple months ago now, and it was the most fun any us of us had had in a really long time. And it was simply the rush of you know how they there's like all these different cures for depression, but like dancing is like by far the number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well it's literally like that physical touch, like exercise, socializing, the community, many things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after we left, I was kind of like trembling with the understanding.
Speaker 2: Of why group dance would save our lives. Literally, I don't get why we did away with that. It would really have a huge problem. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was like a whole different way of experiencing being alive. And also it's like that's one of the only places where society popped off, Like that was a cultural choice. Yeah, to gather as humans in that way.
Speaker 2: Do you think it was the war? Probably? Do you think it's because like all the men died. Maybe it was, well, we can't just have women.
Speaker 1: It probably was everybody their individual homes because we said, the economy wants you to all buy your own. The economy does better if we damn get away from community and have individual lives.
Speaker 2: We need the fifteen minute city and we need the Line dance Hall to be within that. Hopefully it'll come back in this new sort of apocalypse era. There's a bang An Apocalypse song that I've to send to you. Oh my gosh, please do Leanna.
Speaker 1: You've said it is so real to respond to criticism with don't talk to me anymore. I felt this way too. I found Joe more relatable now that she was kind of she had faults, clearer faults when she gives this guy all of her writing and then she's like, what do you have to say about it? Please give me your honest opinion, and then his honest opinion wasn't all positive? Is this what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: By the way, yes, okay, yeah, his.
Speaker 1: Honest opinion isn't all positive.
Speaker 2: I know she is.
Speaker 1: She asked for honest feedback, so she should expect it whatever. But this is exactly how I would react. I would be so upset and be like totally. I obviously came here for compliments. The fact that you don't love my writing is such a betrayal, even if it's not my best I hate you when I'm never talking to you much.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: It just felt like it's very human.
Speaker 2: It's very real. It felt very human. She's a human girl. Joe is a human girl. Sienna, you wrote, Sirsha slaying this haircut? Sorry when she could this her?
Speaker 3: What is?
Speaker 2: What do you think of? I just haven't ever heard that. I don't think it's a thing I'm ever said it.
Speaker 1: I might get a wolf cut, I might get a bob. Actually, I think I'm gonna get a super chop. I'm gonna super chop, super chop summer Biz say, doctor bangs, doctor begs.
Speaker 2: Giving you the super Chop of the year, super Chop of the centry. I I what I liked about it was, Yeah, that feels like somebody hacked off your hair and gave you twenty five dollars. I thought she was kind of slaying in it. Actually when it grows out a little bit. Yeah, absolutely, But her hair is so beautiful when yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I couldn't, I really there was. I couldn't decide. I couldn't decide which was more beautiful or cute. She was slaying them both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, Leanna.
Speaker 1: You've said, could I not eat like some of my breakfast first before they take their Christmas breakfast to the family in need down the road. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: It's like nobody would not like no one. No one will be the wiser if I take it's half a muffin, one adult, four children, and an infant who is breastfeeding. That infant doesn't need your breakfast. You can have some of your breakfast before you take it to the humbles. I just they could have had one pastry. They could have split a couple of pastries if and then headed out. If I had to do charity on an empty stomach, I'd be so mean.
Speaker 1: I was thinking if I was in their position and I brought all of this breakfast over and then saw how these guys were living and was like, gosh, I'm glad we brought this to them because they had literally nothing to eat, and we're so lucky to have a cook who lives with us and have some things in our life. And then I got back to the most amazing breakfast of all time after giving, these guys are like fourth most amazing.
Speaker 2: Breakfast of all time.
Speaker 1: And I was rewarded just for giving somebody who never has food some of my food once, right, I was so guilty.
Speaker 2: Okay, can I say, uh huh that is so catholic? Oh so so catholic.
Speaker 1: You get back and you're just like, oh, okay, so I'm even more privileged than I'm even luckier than I thought, Like we're the ones who get the special, special, special meal just because we even got to be giving.
Speaker 2: I think as a teen, I would have been like, oh, I kind of wanted something savory, not just a hundred cakes, I know, And then it frosted breakfast.
Speaker 1: Cake frosted breakfast that's insane.
Speaker 2: As an adult, I was watching it and I was like, we all get that this is like not long term, like not a long term solution, Like this isn't a mutual aid thing that's really going to last true, like you brought them an extremely perishable meal and.
Speaker 1: Then you were extremely rewarded for it immediately. That's what made me feel the Catholic guilt.
Speaker 2: I just was like, Okay, so they go see the family and honestly testament to Beth being the old one who still gives a hoop, I know she. I mean, even Marmie is like, I forgot about the huddles. A lot else going on, I mean, you know, to be fair, it was the war. Yeah, there literally was a lot else going on. Leanna.
Speaker 1: You've said, Tim, you stick, how are you gonna help?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, a stick, not even a business stick, just a wealth.
Speaker 1: It's just crazy that we've been talking about sticks earlier and this wasn't you wrote these were already.
Speaker 2: Wow sticks among us. And then you've said.
Speaker 1: I'm angry nearly every day of my life mood. When Beth dies, I felt such real and extreme fear about about losing a sibling.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: They really got me with with their with you know, yeah, I really heard you on the the emotional beats in this one, because yeah, so I don't know, how did you feel about Laura Dern? She just kind of struck me as more of a comedic actress who's acting style, just the way that she forms her words. Sometimes I'm like, you don't sound like a real person talking.
Speaker 2: But don't get me wrong, I honestly I felt that way about a lot of like the dialogue in this coming out of just like modern yes he now yeah, exactly like her timote Bob odin Kirk. He arrives, Okay, it's all just like, we get it. Your wife's an agent. Nothing will ever be funnier than being in the cinema and hearing an audible reaction when bob Odenkirk entered. Honestly, and everyone was like, I think that's is that Bob Oden.
Speaker 1: I was into it. I did think it was funny.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. I the scene that really got me, And this is in my notes later. I was crying for like the second half of the movie Whoa, which is crazy because my meds do not allow that Whoa. Like they had to overcome such a high activation like what is it the enzymes do the activation energy? Whatever that is? It is so high from on a ground on a base level, huh. But somehow, when Laura Dern comes home from visiting Bob Odenkirk in the hospital to Beth because Beth has fallen ill, and she says, like, we're going to move you to another bed, sweet girl, and then just the way that she like helps Beth up and Beth leans into her arms and they embrace. I lost it, Like I started crying there, and I did not stop crying until the movie ended, and I really was looking around, like, what the hell is going on? Why is this happening? That's beautiful?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it really got I mean I got got a the obvious sad part of when.
Speaker 2: I think they also such, oh god, that's seen. Isn't there so good? Laura looks at her. The other thing that I think they do such a good job of is you you There's I just felt like I had a much stronger understanding in this one of like they have lost a sibling. That's like they take care to show the three sisters later in the film, and it's like, oh, you really feel like something is missing in each of those. Oh my god, I have goosebumps. Ladies, send him a mold of your beautiful feet. I loved that. I'm oh my god, I amy b like the crazy girl she is, which is like, so again, what fifth through tenth grade is like? Is you doing things that.
Speaker 1: Don't make any sense? Kind of for like the vague idea of a boy. Yeah, you know, like I like the weird like workouts my friends and I would do like in fifth grade.
Speaker 2: They didn't really mean it, but it's like why are we doing this?
Speaker 1: Or like the hair, the thing you think you need to do with your hair to be cool. And I love She earlier on when she gets struck by the teacher, plants the scene and she's like, ah, yes, Meg fell over because of her feet, but I would never fall over because I have lovely small feet, the loveliest in the family. Later she just goes, I'm taking a mold of my feet to remind Lori that I have beautiful feet.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what was making me laugh about it was? I was like, imagine if Sienna made them mold of her foot. I could not fit my foot in a bucket like that. I was. I didn't want to say that, but that is what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: No, I absolutely could not. There are no buckets that could fit my feet.
Speaker 2: My feet are huge.
Speaker 1: Buckets aren't that long. It's completely true, it would be such a strange shape of getting squeezed into a bucket.
Speaker 2: She arrives with doorsteps. He's like, oh god, what is this? What's happened? Also, is this a ransom thing?
Speaker 1: Imagine her mold of her foot arriving to his I know, doorstep, Oh beautiful feet.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. It's so bad if he likes that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, oh lovely small feet.
Speaker 2: The only acceptable reaction to that is no, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leanna, you said, yes, a wagon on the beach is a great idea.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, the beach was all nice. I just couldn't believe had a wag. I was like, it's gonna sink. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've also said I am literally dressed like Beth right now?
Speaker 2: Oh please please. She takes her sick sister to a cold gray beach to get well. I was like, first of all, to breathe the seat, Why do you think that's gonna help? Second of all, I was literally in like a sweater and had a blanket around my legs, exactly like Beth does. Have I ever shown you the photo of me at Christmas with my three cousins, my two cousins and my brother we're all the same generation where I look like they are grandmother. No, I'll have to send it to you after need to see. It's absurd. I'm just very bethcore. I think I have a Beth life. I don't think I'm gonna die at twenty three. I mean I clearly haven't, but just the way in which things like don't happen, it is as if I died at twenty three. I don't know. My absence of a love life is really getting me these days. Now, maybe I did die at twenty three in a way like I don't seem to exist in that no realm. I guess I maybe died at twenty three. You didn't, I can confirm it. Oh sorry, everyone, if you'll excuse me, I was taking a mold of my foot for my crush, and my large foot has gotten stuck not only in the clay mold, but also the bucket itself.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to go deal with this. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my god, I am.
Speaker 2: I am so Joe.
Speaker 1: Towards the end of this movie, when Joe is like, I just don't understand why you would marry your boyfriend, Yeah, Meg is like Meg it's like, because I want to that's the life I want. And Joe is like, I just don't think you know what you're doing. I don't think this choice you should do that. I don't think you should.
Speaker 2: Literally, for some reason, when a friend tells me that they're engaged, I'm always like, oh no.
Speaker 1: Even though people want that, like people just want to marry the people they love.
Speaker 2: But I'm just like, are you sure you're thinking about this right? Don't you want freedom and love? When she's like, we can go, we can run away, she's like I want to have kids. She's like, that can't be right. When you will be bored of him in two years, we will be interesting forever. I was like, yes, girl, yes.
Speaker 1: I really I really relate to her on a deep life. I don't know why I'm this way though, I mean there were moments where I kind of went, it's as if I still believe that these are all the rights anyone has still, even though a lot has changed from this time to later. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but still the way it stresses her out that all the idea of wifehood, womanhood, Yeah, motherhood stresses me out a lot.
Speaker 2: At this age.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like supposedly the next step in life, and I think that's exactly why Joe gets so frustrated. You know, it's like that supposed to be the next step for me as just a woman, supposed to fall in love and do whatever, what's next?
Speaker 2: Who am I as a person?
Speaker 1: This movie's so yeah, yeah, Fianna. You've also said tim Ota has no ass. Oh my god, that is very slim man.
Speaker 2: In the scene where he proposes to her and then he's like turning away and walking. He literally it's a straight line from the back of his head down to his feet.
Speaker 1: Exclamation point mode.
Speaker 2: Thank god she didn't marry him, o leoni.
Speaker 1: He said, oh no. When she says I'm so lonely, I'm gonna cry again.
Speaker 2: Oops. That monologue was so real because she's like, I don't want to just be destined for marriage. I'm there's so much more to me than that. At the same time, I don't want to just be pushing people away forever. I'm so that. I don't know why we had to read my journal in this film. That was invasive. It really is.
Speaker 1: This film did a really good job of capturing the the dichotomy of girlhood, the utter conflict within one's mind of being a modern feminist woman who is still allowed to be just a soft person. Yeah, they capture it really, really well, and it's cool that they gave They give Joe time to be lonely in this movie, or I think that's not something they do in the last one because she's an independent woman and she's like, this is part of it.
Speaker 2: Is like I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's all I want. I don't know what it is that I want from this, Like, yeah, I want to be able to change my goals also, but I said I never want to get married, But I don't know, you know, like being able to fight with that is such a genuine part of especially this age, you know, like mm, it's pretty special that they were able to have a speech like that. Yeah, women, women, women, Leanna, you said, I love his dead eyes, oh her hattie when he comes to visit, he brings so much life in his eyes.
Speaker 2: No, I think he's French, Okay, because he's French in real life. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actual, they kind of don't specify.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you want me to stay, I'll stay. That's kind of how it happened to me.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said women's rights that if she has to marry someone, at least he's so hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. I really love the scene where she's debating with the publisher. That was so fun. About the character getting married, that was so just it's like, yes, absolutely, do this go meta in the commentary when you're adapting a book from the eighteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it didn't feel too sure, It didn't somehow didn't feel obnoxious at all.
Speaker 2: It was just, yeah, I just loved it. Loved it too. I thought it was really fun.
Speaker 1: She's like she said the whole time, she didn't want to marry anybody. It really also made me think about my assumptions too, because you do always want the ending.
Speaker 2: And but I completely understand too.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with Joe where she's like, we've just made up this world where love is supposed to be the answer. Yeah, I don't want to have to do that. And he's like, but also it's a little fun.
Speaker 2: She's like fine, oh my god, and they do this thing which I noticed this time around where she says fine and it goes back to the scene where she's exiting the carriage and going to French Friedrich and it shows a little bit of what we've already seen of her exiting the carriage, and it makes you feel like, oh, this is kind of like the fictional ending that she's choosing to write instead of necessarily like this character's reality. And I liked that so much. I was like, yeah, I totally get that. They're like, listen, okay, we get that you as the audience want this, but it's not necessarily what's real. Somehow they managed to give us.
Speaker 1: They managed to give us both like, Okay, you know what, it doesn't have to be everybody's story, especially somebody who already said that their goals were not to be married. Does have to be everybody's story to get married or do this conventional stuff. But also, girls, you could have a little fun, do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: They managed to do. Go kiss the dead eyed hottie.
Speaker 1: And the last moment is with her in her book, the thing she's proudest of.
Speaker 2: I love that. That really got me.
Speaker 1: This is the love story in the end is her in her craft.
Speaker 2: God, when it started flashing back to her and her sisters as like young young children, I was crying again, blubbering, and I really was.
Speaker 1: Was incredibly successful and incredibly.
Speaker 2: The girls. Well, Leanna, should we move on to badges and trages talk a little more? Yeah. My first badge, strangely is for oh, the next our segment badges and trages, where we give badges for the blonde rendition of little women and we give trages for sorry Tim chalet T not blending in at all.
Speaker 1: My first badge is for the fireplace we see early on in the film. I think it might be at her New York place or something. There's like a round fireplace. I loved in very intriguing.
Speaker 2: I'm so intrigued. Oh, badge for Meryl, thank you, Yes, put Meryl in a film.
Speaker 1: Also a badge for me, but I'll go badge for pretty drastic better work. I think that was for when Meg puts on the gorgeous, gorgeous dress, and I said, everybody should have a chance to just put on something fun like that at one point in their lives.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, I have a badge for Laura Dern. I seem to not even have a badge for her like performance as Marmie specifically, it's more just like, if Laura Dern is there, it's getting the badge. I love Laura Derne. Have you seen the Gay Men's Choir of Los Angeles performing Laura Dern for Laura Dern, My god, it's incredible. I'll send that to you as well.
Speaker 1: Badge for Amy is a real person in this one, and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm really yes. My next badge is a badge for Amy dressing down Laurie. Oh yes.
Speaker 1: Badge for a mold of your foot lmfao that really I loved that.
Speaker 2: That was insane. Badge for the color palette of the film. Uh yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Badge for one of the best lines in anything I ever heard, which is, you are the brudhist boy I ever saw.
Speaker 2: Oh, their little tiny town is really cute. You can't.
Speaker 1: That is one of the best parts of the Little Women franchise.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love where they live, I love watching them walk around.
Speaker 1: I love the fences, I love the trees, I love I love I love the events, I love the town.
Speaker 2: I love it all.
Speaker 1: Badge for They've captured the utter conflict of womanhood excellently in this film, really excellently. I mean, it's like quite a gift to see it. Yeah, well, it's cathartic.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Badge for. I like that they made Laurie's grandfather a character me too, I love that's a great point. I loved him. They managed to make Beth's whole thing a little bit more, a little deeper with that. Yeah, she has her own and he helps so much to see, like the impact she has on other people without having to have her speak because she's not really a talker. Uh huh. And then I guess my final badge is ending.
Speaker 1: With her and her book. I really really really.
Speaker 2: Loved that badge for love this shot of her dress when she is staring out the window when an egg is at the ball and she's pouting on the like side shade staring at the window. That shot is so beautiful, and I'm just like, so many women were involved in this because they understood that you need to show that entire gown. Yeah, we want to see I want to see this woman being melancholic at the window. Badge for I love this monologue, the monologue when Amy is at her easel and Timote is like I think the poets would disagree, and she's like, shut up. Marriage is an economic proposition. Yeah, And this these are all the reasons why I have to marry somebody with money. Shut up, shut up. Badge for their hair is wind swept. They let these girls have messy hair, and that is so nice. Like when Amy and Joe are at the beach. Yes, their hair is in braids, but the like straggles and stuff that are out of it, that's so real. That's what it's like to have hair badge for. I love how much Lorie keeps asking who this man is at the very end. That was so real. First time, I was like, yes, good job, Timo Tek probably some of whose man is. And I love it because it's like, yes, of course LORI would be jealous because he definitely is still in love.
Speaker 1: With this happen that, Like, I think that does he love Amy as much as Joe, maybe a different way maybe, you know, like it's just how it works.
Speaker 2: Out and everyone's happy with it. Yeah. And then my final badge is a badge for this train station at the end. It was just so warm and of an era and I loved it lovely.
Speaker 1: Also a little a batch for when you read a letter and you're looking right at the camera type of thing. I really liked that too.
Speaker 2: I thought that was so interesting. Trages, Yes, I have a trage for too much UK. Too much?
Speaker 1: Come on, let's get some American actresses.
Speaker 2: In here out of the four of the UK. But but yeah, UK influence mm hmmm, because it medals in all their affairs, unlike America. You're already meddling everywhere else. Why meddle in America too? Uh No? That was my first trage, was like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: One American actress in there, which I, for some reason have decided as a hell I'm gonna die on even though I can't think of any bit I would love and put in here.
Speaker 2: A trage for t T gives me the ick so bad I don't.
Speaker 1: Need him to be anywhere personally personally, my I only wrote on one other trage, and this is my main trage with this movie versus the other one that I've now seen and.
Speaker 2: No need to compare. But unfortunately I am.
Speaker 1: But my main thing about this movie is they don't really seem like sisters to me.
Speaker 2: By the end.
Speaker 1: By the end the tragedy whatever it's, I feel like they've really lost someone.
Speaker 2: I guess I guess it.
Speaker 1: It grew over throughout the movie, but at the beginning they didn't feel like a genuine family.
Speaker 2: To me, it felt like.
Speaker 1: Very much an acted play of these ideas of sisterhood. But I didn't feel like, oh, this is their mom who they loved. They were always in the same household, and they bicker and they whatever they you know, they just felt they felt like the four actresses standing next to each other. Unfortunately, to me, a little bit more though that did develop throughout the movie. But that would be my one thing. If you were looking for the real family thing, I'd go with the other movie. But obviously this one is like a lot more than that, you know, so I understood the complexities and what it was actually doing throughout watching the movie. But that was the one part I missed. I think I especially missed the mom. I really really loved Susan Sarandon in the last one for some reason that really it really hit me in a way that I missed.
Speaker 2: But but it's different. Trage for Laurie is the most annoying person in the world. Yeah, I like that they let him be though. I like that they're just like, yeah, you know, when you have a friend, and he also is so annoying. Trage for really, I don't get it, which is when Meg is being like kind of bullied when they're calling her Daisy. And then I didn't get why Laurie was upset with her about what I was like, I'm not a hundred I never get that. Yeah. Oh and that's my last trage.
Speaker 1: Excellent, well, Leana showing. Move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film. This is for you are at a line dance, You're at a community dance.
Speaker 2: They've brought them back. You're so happy to be experiencing life in this way. You're about to go out on the dance floor with this group of people when you feel your arm tugged on. Someone pulls you over. It's it's uh, last time we did, Laurie. But Timote.
Speaker 1: It's Timote. Timote is taking on your arm and says, hey, wait home on a second. This reminds me of something.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen this?
Speaker 1: I feel like if I tell you this, chicks dig the movie Little Women twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see it? Why don't instead of dancing or why don't we talk about it over here? In order to put Timote in a carriage and send him far away from here. We're going to give you a few sentences you could say to pretend you've seen the film Little Women twenty nineteen. Timote, of course, I've seen Little Women twenty nineteen, and in this conversation, I'm going to have to follow the advice of the publisher at the begin of the movie when he says, make sure she's married by the end or dead, doesn't matter. My god, that was so funny. This is so sick interesting.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, te, I've seen the film Little Women twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Fun fact.
Speaker 1: After finding out that the adaptation was in the works, Sirsha Ronan reached out to Greta Gerwig and told her that she had decided she was going to play Joe March. Gerwig was initially hesitant to cast her after they'd just done Ladybird together, but after realizing that more or less casting herself was a very Joe thing to do, sent Ronan in an email and said, yes, you're Joe.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's incredibly Joe. Absolutely, Yeah. I love that. I'm enjoying line dancing and forgetting about my woes and then I get tapped on the shoulder by tim O Tay and realize my day has been interrupted by a man, and I turned to camera and I say, oh, I can't get over my disappointment and being a girl. Oh my god, oh so good. That's literally me every time I'm like the funniest one. Yeah, yeah, in a flirtation and it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is make me cry.
Speaker 3: Who Yes?
Speaker 1: Women, women, Yes, women, women, Yes, tim Ota, I've seen the film. Uh, I've seen the film Little Women twenty nineteen. Amy's big speech about marriage was not the initial was not in the initial script, but was suggested by Meryl Streep oh after working and talking with the writer and director Gretigor Wiggs. Streep asserted that there needed to be a moment in this movie that allowed modern audiences to understand the true powerlessness of women in that period.
Speaker 2: That's true, Yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: Not only could they not vote or work, but through marriage, they would lose ownership of their own money, property, and children. According to Florence Pugh, the lines were given to her a few minutes before they were due to shoot the scene. It was handwritten on a scrap of paper. Oh my god, that's women, that's women, women, that's collaboration.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, Yes, Timotay, I've seen Little Women twenty nineteen, and I'm going to use this time to give another badge to the film, which is in the scene where they're leaving the theater and John takes Egg's arm, and Laurie sees that and goes to take Joe's arm. So John offers Egg his arm, and Egg gratefully accepts and blushes, and then Laurie offers Joe his arm and Joe punches him him in the arm and runs aha and takes Meg's arm. I love from John.
Speaker 1: I laughed so much bad I laughed so much when he went out Joe Joe. Okay, here's why Emma Watson was in it. Yes, yes, timote I've Seen Little Women twenty nineteen. Emma Watson took over the role of Meg March from Emma Stone, American actress who became unavailable due to her scheduling conflicts with promoting the favorite.
Speaker 2: Interesting. How do we feel about that? Interesting? I think that would have been weirdly. I feel Emma Watson is more right for the party. I agree that sounds really forced. I don't think she does a bad job in this. I think it's just like a boring role.
Speaker 1: Exactly, like, there's not much to do with it. And honestly, in this one, she's just sort of like pretty and wants kids and that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she is so beautiful. Yeah. I didn't think she was bad in this at all.
Speaker 1: It's yeah again, it's I don't know why Emma Stone would be in this, even though I said I desperately want an American in it, I don't really, we know, I don't really. And finally, Joe March never wears a corset in the movie, which is quite unusual for the time.
Speaker 2: Makes perfect sense. You better work. Say okay, Siena, let's run down the New York City side walk into our segment should you watch this or in which we tell you if you should watch the film or if we think you should do something else with your time? Ni personally, Yeah, absolutely absolutely. You can watch Little Women twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I am going.
Speaker 2: To say that you can watch this movie as well. It was really delightful.
Speaker 1: I think the speech the speeches in it are really something else. Yeah, I think if you're looking for a more sort of Christmasy like, less modern vibe. And then the last one we saw is a great option, but this one is definitely worth seeing. Yeah, and it's really nice to have Amy be a real character and Joe have flaws. It was wonderful, Leonna, what would you read now this film?
Speaker 2: Okay? I would give Little Women twenty nineteen five beautiful ball gowns out of five. I loved it. I love what they did with the story and how they chose to kind of chop it up and make it their own. And I love women, Sienna, how about you?
Speaker 1: I would give Little Women twenty nineteen four point eight foot molds out of five. My only things off are just like the sisterhood, sometimes feeling not as the most just not getting complete sister advice, but mostly just I missed a mom, feminist mom, nerved feminist mom. But I really love everything we did, and it's clear that greteger woiug like, put a bunch of work and love into this and brought a great team together and it's really one of those great masterpieces of our time.
Speaker 2: So yay, yay, yay, tadda. That's it. We have now watched both Little Women. If there's another one, I don't want to hear about it. We have been tossed Popcorn. We are on social media at tossed Popcorn on Instagram and we are tossed Popcorn on Patreon at patreon dot com. Slash toss Popcorn and join us next week when we will be watching the holiday ePIE Holiday, Happy Holidays, Thank You, we love you, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, there's a rival card company to the one where my silly little day job is in the UK. It's called Thoughtful, is the name of the company. Huh, But it's spelled tcho r t f ul. But because it's British, everybody's like thoughtful and I'm like thoughtful. That's so funny. Wait, that's so funny.