Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Yeah, welcome to the program. It's our one on this Thursday. It's old school radio. We put your feelings aside. I'm addressing the dan Ets, not the audience. Put your feelings to the side. It's tough love. That's how we do it, unless I have to walk it back like Ron Rivera did yesterday.
Speaker 2: The Commander's head coach.
Speaker 3: And we got caught up in old school stuff and style and Eric b Enemy and he's yelling at his players, and the players are going to the coach and saying, coach, what's going on. He's yelling at us how we grew up coaches that influenced us, the way you could coach back then, what you could say, what you can't say. And that's certainly the case we'll hear from Ron Rivera, the Commander's head coaches. He walks back some of his comments about his new offensive coordinator, Eric Benemy. This program is always brought to you by PXG. The new six drivers so good. They're going to bet it's better than what you're using. So go to PXG dot com and find out about how you can get one hundred dollars because the Gen six Driver Challenge at PXG dot com will prove otherwise they don't need to pay out anything, and they do will They will guarantee they'll give you one hundred dollars if their driver is not better than your driver. Nobody makes golf clubs the way we do. Period stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, Mark Sanchez, Fox Sports, and former NFL quarterback Now an analyst will join us coming up a little bit later on, and former All Star pitchers CC Sabbathia will stop by as well. Pull question, Play of the day, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming phone calls always welcome any day of the week. Operator Tyler's standing by each seven to seven three DP show. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for allowing us into your life, and the same with our radio affiliates around the country. All right, seton what do we have? By the way, we have preseason football tonight we'll give you reason to watch preseason football. Texans, Patriots, Vikings, Seahawks. There was another no hitter last night, Michael Lorenzen no hitter for the Phillies. We'll talk about that. The future of the ACC. Cal Stanford maybe iffy right now, and Notre Dame's role in the ACC expanding to cal and Stanford, which I find interesting.
Speaker 2: That's where you'd.
Speaker 3: Say, wait a minute, they have a vote, they have a say, but they're not even really in the ACC. They're an independent. That's the case. Notre Dame pushing for Callen Stanford into the ACC. Seton what do you have for us today?
Speaker 4: Why don't we start with the NFL? Dan, which game are you more interested in watching tonight? Texans at Patriots, Vikings at Seahawks.
Speaker 3: Okay, PAULI has convinced me Patriots Texans is more interesting. Now if this was a regular season game, then I would watch Seahawks and Vike it correct.
Speaker 5: I think the word saucy was yes.
Speaker 2: Not many matchups are you know?
Speaker 3: If whoever is broadcasting tonight comes on to say we got a saucy.
Speaker 5: Matchup, especially on August tenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Texans versus Patriots saucy tonight. Bailey Zappi versus c J. Stroud, you better, you better buckle up because we got some football tonight.
Speaker 2: What else do you have there.
Speaker 3: CJ.
Speaker 5: Stroud is fun to watch.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be I mean he's playing, right, he's got to Yeah, that'll be fun to see.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean I guess yeah.
Speaker 6: Pulling my rationale is this, you want to watch a Kansas City Chiefs during the regular season. In the preseason, the Chiefs are not interesting. Kelsey's not playing, Mahomes isn't playing. But the Texans c J. Stroud new team, you are the worse the team the more you want to watch them the preseason because they have more draft picks, you know, CJ. Stroud, Will Anderson of Alabama, I mean that guy's household name. They got Nathaniel Dell, that nice wide receiver of Houston. So yeah, that's the kind of guys you want to watch. And then the bailey's Appy situation is is if, especially if you're a Patriots fan, is saucy if that's Week four, I'm not even sniffing.
Speaker 2: No, it's just weak.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you can say Bailey Zappy saucy.
Speaker 2: I'm a Bailey Zappi fan. You were with me last year, Yes, I am.
Speaker 3: I think Bailey Zappies could be better than what they have right now, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean did they look bigger?
Speaker 7: Arm?
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, is he better?
Speaker 6: Not like someone's watching Patriots tonight.
Speaker 3: I will watch, but uh, I don't know if Mac john I don't know what's First of all, it's it's disserviced when you when you have a quarterback and then you don't get him weapons. Then and then we're saying, hey, Mac Jones, let's see, you're supposed to be a first round pick, supposed to be good. He probably goes a line of scrimmage and goes, who am I throwing to? Put him in Miami? Put Tua in New England, and then you tell me who's the better quarterback because you would never know with Tua where Mac Jones would have all those weapons. So a lot of times you have to look at the quarterback, but look at the personnel around him or the philosophy that they have. You could put mac Jones in the Niners offense and I think he could be Rock Purty, I really do.
Speaker 2: But he's got it.
Speaker 3: Just like justin fields, he probably goes into the huddle and goes, oh my god, looks around, all right, you're not an open all run.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See why does it not feel like a compliment to say, if you put Mac Jones in the forty nine ers offense, he could beat Rock Party.
Speaker 5: It still feels kind of like a dig. And Brock Purty is my guy.
Speaker 2: I love him. I don't think it's that feels like a dig. I don't think it's men as a compliment. I think it's men as a dig.
Speaker 3: It feels like if you put anybody in Kyle Shanahan's offense, chances are you're probably gonna do okay. But Bailey ZAPPI yeah, he's probably going I don't know who do we have? Who do we have in here? How do I make a play? And then Mac Jones and I don't know if either is his starting quarterback, but you know, it's hard to tell because they don't have any weapons there.
Speaker 6: Yes, pauling the Vikings and Seahawks at a later game. Vikings not that interesting. They don't have a lot of names that are interesting. But the Seahawks are. I think the Seahawks are going in a weird direction. They have Kenneth Walker, a great young running back, but they drafted two more running backs, Zach Charbone out or UCLA and Kenny McIntosh. Don't sleep on the running back out of Georgia. I think they're gonna run first.
Speaker 3: See again, I got the Vikings with Jordan Addison tonight. I'm interested in him. And then with the Seahawks, you got Jackson Smith Nigma out of Ohio State. Fantastic. I'm interested in him. So, I mean, I don't know how much they play, but I be interested in watching them. But if it's a regular season game, the Vikings Seahawks would be really interesting.
Speaker 6: I got one more question on CJ. Stroud. Usually the starter doesn't play much in the first preseason game, you know, because he's a rookie. Does he play extended?
Speaker 2: I need to see a little bit more of him.
Speaker 3: I think I would hope that they want him out there so we could kind of see how he's going to be. I don't know if you can go. We're going to rest him. He's going to be our starter, but we're going to rest him through the whole preseason. And I'll ask Mark Sanchez about that. Of putting a rookie in there for a team that's not very good, got a brand new head coach. How much do I want him to play be exposed to this or and they've already said that he's going to I think start for the team.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Bryce Young is going to start for Carolina as well? How much do you play? Do you play more? Because you haven't played at all and you've got to get ready for the regular season. What else do we have there? Seaton pull question Wise, Paul just threw out another one here. That's interesting. Curious to see where he's going with this. But the poll question is I'm old school or new school? If you had to describe yourself, Well, I'm old school, which with shades of new school like that gets there, Like the inside is old school, you know, you go into somebody's house and you go, man, this hadn't been changed in years.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's me. But the exterior, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Can dress it up and wear like a Kraken sweatshirt today you can?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah you can. Yeah, and I'm doing it today.
Speaker 6: But how about your philosophies? Everything was better in the old days?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you can't do that, not in this business, but also running a family where you're like, that's the way my dad did it, and that's the way I'm going to do it.
Speaker 2: Can't do it I think you lean towards new school.
Speaker 6: I do because I know how you treat your kids and things like that, So I would say you're more new school.
Speaker 3: I try to be newish school, but there's an old school mentality that's still there, always going to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeh See.
Speaker 4: It's difficult to keep up your new schoolness though, because society moves like if you, it is constantly pushing forward, and so your new school thoughts right now in ten years will be old school. So you have to keep advancing your new schoolness. You're sort of lots of I'm sort of at that age too, where my new schoolness is being pushed into old schoolness, and it's like I have to reject that a little bit to keep advancing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin, you old school.
Speaker 8: Certain things.
Speaker 9: I'm old school, but for the most part I'm new school, especially with my son. Yeah, because your mom was tough on you to an extent, but she was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah when you said you were thirsty and she said.
Speaker 9: Oh, to drink spit, well good advice. Well, in context, I did something really bad at.
Speaker 7: School earlier in the.
Speaker 2: He left that out.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 9: Bridget was not a drink, spit just on a regular Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: It's mom, not Bridget.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's mom. Wait you call your mom Bridget? Well I don't call her that, but oh that you're calling her that now sorry.
Speaker 9: And our family sometimes we'd be like, hey, you see Marianne, she's right there, just because you go into a store, am every woman turns around, yeah Bridget, she turns around, like all right, I got your My.
Speaker 3: Kids do that with my wife, yeah, because she doesn't turn around and they finally yell out their name and then she turns around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: My sister's kids, when they got about thirteen fourteen fifties fifteen, started calling their parents Kevin and Carey. And I was like, so I think I might be old school, but I don't think I'm gonna fly with that. My kids are getting to that age.
Speaker 9: Yeah, mar oh No, No, I don't mean, like on a regular like basis. I'm just explaining to you guys, because sometimes like me and my friends would go, my friend, uh Goo, his mom's name is Karen.
Speaker 2: He goes, yeah, wait, your friend's name is Goo.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, real name Kashif, nickname Goo.
Speaker 2: Of course yeah, I could and so he.
Speaker 9: Would say, hey, Karen doesn't play those games.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're just explaining.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we just had this conversation yesterday actually in my house where my father in law's name is Joe, and he goes by Joe pretty much all the time. And even when my wife is referring to him to other people, she'll say Joe, but she calls him dad, you know what I mean, So you kind of use both names. So when we talked to say my son about being like, oh, Joe's coming this weekend, he my son calls his grandfather Joe, okay, because that's what Joe wants to be called. Yeah, he doesn't want to be you know, pop or anything.
Speaker 3: But then but then you have this where your daughters start dating and then they bring a boy home, and then all of a sudden, he wants to know if he can call you Dan.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: Well, one of my daughter's boyfriends calls me mister Patrick, and the other daughter's boyfriend calls me Dan.
Speaker 6: How old is the guy who calls you Dan?
Speaker 2: Twenty seven?
Speaker 3: Man, that's close, but Patrick, Uh, he's thirty. But here's the issue. The one who calls me mister Patrick. That relationship is further along with my daughter, whereas the.
Speaker 5: Other one has shot now no, but.
Speaker 3: He but he found out that, you know, my other daughter's boyfriend calls me mister Patrick.
Speaker 2: And he was mortified that he had been calling me Dan. Oh no, that's tough, tough.
Speaker 3: And I said, look, you know, down the road, you want to call me Dan, that's fine, but you know, up until we get to the wedding, you know, I'd like to be mister Patty.
Speaker 6: That's the cutoff. But does it become Dan or dad?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: He could call me Dan. I'm okay with that. Man. I don't know what I would want to be called. But I didn't want to be called Dan.
Speaker 3: I mean it's weird, you know, like you guys haven't experienced any of this stuff, but those are things where you're like, all right, are you in it for the long haul?
Speaker 7: Here?
Speaker 3: You know, Hey, Dan, how are you? And then the other one's like, hey, mister Patrick, all right? And then all of a sudden, the other one's going, oh my god, I didn't know that you're called mister Patrick. I'm like, yeah, yeah, yeah, more yeah.
Speaker 9: So when I refer to you, I say DP because I still feel weird calling you Dan, because if Bridget was like, who are you calling?
Speaker 2: Dan? Oh? So your mom would tell you to call me mister Patrick.
Speaker 8: My mom my, grandma.
Speaker 2: Wait, what the hell you calling Dan? I said, well, he I'm okay with you calling me Dan.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but I slip, yeah, I just kind of go DP yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I gone, yes, all right.
Speaker 6: So one of us hasn't talked yet about this. I'm curious with Todd. His daughter's about eighteen years old. I know she's had some boyfriends. According Todd, what do they call Todd?
Speaker 10: I get mister Fritz, And I think that's how it should be, even if it makes me feel old. I think in the early part of a relationship, and then as it goes on and things become more comfortable and it looks like it's becoming a thing. I don't know what that exact amount of time is, but you know it when you see you or feel it, then maybe we can start talking about Todd. But I think it has to start with some kind of respect in that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, now I did. But what if the kids say thank you Todd, your daughter's.
Speaker 8: Boy, like a shout out to the Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 3: I could wink at Yeah, but you know you're talking, and all of a sudden, you know your daughter's boyfriend goes thank you.
Speaker 8: Todd said, that's thank you, mister Fritz. Okay, now cast a massed potatoes and perspect you're out.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough, all right, we'll settle on a poll question when we come back. A Joe Burrow update and Ron Rivera walks back some of his comments about Eric b Enemy. We're just getting started. Glad you're part of the program. Back after this Dan Patrick show. King's Hawaiian make Fall Sundays even better by making them a slider Sunday. Football's right around the corner here and Kings Hawaiian Slider Sunday fun, delicious, customizable, shareable, perfect weekly meal time ritual to enjoy football Sundays and enjoy it with family and friends. King Sawaan Kingswaiian dot com game day recipe inspiration.
Speaker 2: You can check it out right now.
Speaker 3: They have the pulled barbecue Chicken Sliders, which means chicken breast mixed with barbecue sauce, cabbage, red onion and put that on the pretzel slider bun.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Football Sundays right around the corner. Sharing great food and fun with friends and family, and you can make your Sunday a slider Sunday thanks to King Sawaiian. Go to the bakery or deli section of your local store and pick up those sweet, fluffy, irresistible kings Hawaiian rules and enjoy. And if you need recipe inspiration for your slider Sunday, kings Hawaiian. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Timing is everything in the sports world, really the entire world. But when it comes to sports, there are times when there are downtimes during a week or a month. You know, Northwestern happened when it was this slow work week and everybody's now focusing or at the time on Northwestern football when nobody would be talking about Northwestern football because they're not any good. But you have this controversy with a coach and hazing your players, maybe a lawsuit, so there then it became a bigger story, but you got more coverage because people are looking for things to talk about, and then you have the situation with the commanders in Ron Rivera. Ron Rivera has a new offensive coordinator, Eric Biennemy, former running back.
Speaker 2: He was the OC with the Kansas City Chiefs. He comes in.
Speaker 3: Fully equipped to Super Bowl rings and his style as he said, look, I'm intense, I'm old school.
Speaker 2: And some of the players.
Speaker 3: Went to the head coach said, hey, I mean you got can you talk to him? And Ron Rivera is like, well, you talked to him basically, you know, get to know him, figure this out. And then he told us and I'm thinking, why is this even getting into our our onto our radar screen, Like, you don't have to tell us any of that. And then all of a sudden it became a little bit bigger deal because here we are in the early part of August. We don't have much to talk about, and this became an issue. Then it became old school new school the players, now can you discipline him? Eric enemy's intense. He's trying to be a head coach. He wants to prove himself, you know, outside of Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes, and here is Ron Rivera.
Speaker 2: The commander's head coach.
Speaker 11: We talked about it, and it was just I basically told him I put my foot in my mouth. I think what I said wasn't as clear as it needed to be, and I think the understanding of it is just the fact that I think everybody's making, in my opinion, a little bit more than needs to be made of this, because again, the results are what you're looking for. On the field. So far, the last couple days have been outstanding. I think Eric has done a great job of communicating his message.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's telling me the truth now or he told me the truth two days ago. I'm just not sure. I get the feeling he told me the truth two days ago, and this one was sort of homoginized. Let me clean this up a little bit, you know, Gosh, I shouldn't have said that, Yeston.
Speaker 4: I just want to know at what point, Eric the Enemy said at practice the next day, so which one of you guys went to Daddy so fellas, let's talk, So which one of you guys are into Daddy and told Tommy.
Speaker 3: If I'm Eric b enemy, I would ask that question. I would say, Look, we're all in this together. We got to communicate. If there's a problem you've got, you can talk to me. If I have a problem, I'm talking to you. In fact, I am talking directly to you. You went to the head coach, talk to me, pull me aside, Coach. This isn't the way it worked before. We're trying to understand how you're motivating us, whatever it is. Start a conversation. But you can't go I'm not gonna talk to him. You're gonna talk to him. No, I'm gonna let's go talk to coach, and then you go in and talk to Ron Rivera and he's probably telling these players.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know that's the way he is. He's intent. Get to know him a little bit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Marvin, Next time the enemy gets upset with one of the players or yells at him for doing something wrong, Oh, you're gonna tell COVID.
Speaker 3: You tell Ron Rivera now, snitch snitch. I don't know if he's gonna use the word snitch, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: What if the enemy start off practice in extra snarkiers? Hey, guys, let's all sit down. Chris cross applesauce governents feelings. Are there any issues you want to get off your tiep it's a safe space. It's a safe space, and then it gets on and goes go run a lap. Run a lap was my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, Like when I was told to run a lap, you'd go, oh, I had to run the steps.
Speaker 2: I had to run the steps.
Speaker 6: Well, basketball players run steps.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. I'd be like, God, golden boy, run the steps.
Speaker 3: And I'd be like, and then you're running the steps and everybody's working out and they're looking at you.
Speaker 2: I can look at that fool. I'd be running the steps and I'd.
Speaker 3: Come back as if I'd learned my lesson once I ran the steps that I couldn't learn my lesson prior to that, I had to be disciplined.
Speaker 1: By golly golden boy run okay.
Speaker 2: Coach old school Yeah, well he was. He was old school.
Speaker 3: Uh not good school, Like he wasn't even he wasn't a good coach. He was just old school.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I mean he was smart to not play me. Let's let's I'll state that up front. But you know he could have been a little nicer to me.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't go behind his back.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't go to the athletic director and say, he's he's being mean to me.
Speaker 2: I like that my dad.
Speaker 3: My dad came to a workout one time and I was complaining and my dad goes, suck it up, and I go what he goes, suck it up? He's the coach. I go, Okay, whose side are you on? He said, I'm on the coach's side. I want you to do well, but listen to the coach.
Speaker 2: I go, okay, fair enough, Coach.
Speaker 4: You have to find the right coach. Though not all coaches are worth listening to.
Speaker 2: I still haven't found the right coach.
Speaker 5: Not all coaches are worth listening to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then they would yell and then I would go, oh my, or they would they would smack a blackboard that they were writing on, and like it was always dramatic, and then we're like and then storm out of the locker room and you're like, oh my god, like, what was going to happen?
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: The only thing that they could threaten you with is you weren't going to play sit like I would run those burpies where you're running and then you gotta get down, jump up and all that stuff. I did all those things, but it's sounded like it made me a better player. I was like, okay, I got you're gonna yell at me. Okay, and then I'd come back. I could still make the same mistake. It didn't matter that you yelled at me or punished me. Well, I'm better for it. I'm over it right in the past. No problem, No problem. That Joe Burrow calf injury is starting to become an issue. At first, I thought, okay, it's a calf injury, you want to have a precautionary measures taken. Now its several weeks, and now I think you got to be a little more concerned about the start of the regular season. Here is Zach Taylor, Bengals head coach, on his quarterback.
Speaker 13: He's been great in the meeting, you know, and he does his work with the trainers and with Joey Bose. So we'll just continue to progress that well, I mean, the timeline is several weeks from when I said several weeks, so we'll just remain we'll let that play out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, several weeks.
Speaker 3: That almost feels like regular season kind of concern, and it should be or the entire season. But you know, when you're looking at winning the division, not being a wild card team. You want to win the division, you want to get that home home field advantage, and your first two games against the Browns and the Ravens, well, both teams should be better than they were last year. And I don't think you can bring Trevor Simeon in there as you know Joe Burrow's replacement and feel really confident about it. Trevor's been around a while, but still there's Joe Burrow and there's only a few other quarterbacks who are better than him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul Week three, Monday Night Football, Bengals ran. If they don't have Joe Burrow, oof, that's a tough watch.
Speaker 3: And you know, the situation in Minnesota I find interesting. I always find Minnesota interesting. I don't know if I find them good, but I find them interesting. Kirk Cousins, who has been consistent, not real high highs and maybe not low lows. But you know they were reportedly trying to get justin fields in twenty twenty one. Well, that obviously didn't work out. They don't have Dalvin Cook, they don't have Patrick Peterson, Eric kendricks A, Zadarius Smith, Adam Feeling. So five veteran starters that this was a thirteen win team last year?
Speaker 2: Did they feel like a thirteen win team last year?
Speaker 3: And now they're not going to extend Kirk Cousins at least not yet. And he's probably used to this where it's like, Okay, got to prove myself again. Remember they drafted Kellen Mond out of A and M. It's like, oh, man, I think he could be the starter halfway through the season. Well now he's a backup quarterback with the Cleveland Browns. But you know, with Minnesota and kirkte Cousins, do you give him a contract extension? Do you try to find his replace? Like a thirteen win team is not sure about their quarterback. I find that fascinating, But I don't know if they feel thirteen winish. This year feels like ten wins maybe at the most would be over under. I do have Texans or minus three and a half against the Patriots tonight. The Vikings are getting three and a half against the Seahawks. I'm always curious about preseason over unders. Once again, it's the gambler in me that's still there, lingering. It's in, you know, it's in the deep recesses of my mind, Like he's in there and then he'll come out sometimes and he'll go, what's the line on? And you know, and then I'll throw it out and Paul will go, Yep, that's exactly what it is. It's like, okay, that's what I thought it was. Over under Texans Patriots thirty seven, over under Viking Seahawks thirty five. See, it feels like you're gonna get a nineteen sixteen kind of game unless Bailey Zappi goes off as Bailey Zapie can. Former Western Kentucky hilltopp I like that. Somebody says, oh, you're not going to say anything nice about a guy who went to Western Kentucky because he went to Eastern Kentucky. I'm like, fair, I have no reason to hold a grudge against Western Kentucky.
Speaker 2: To everybody who.
Speaker 6: Holds a grudge says, so you're doing it without a reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, worse d Yeah, if I hated everybody that beat us when we were at Eastern Kentucky, I'd be hating everybody.
Speaker 5: Some rivalries just never go away and they never do well.
Speaker 2: You got to win one to have a rivalry, and we didn't win any.
Speaker 6: Hall of Fame game went over Brown's twenty one sixteen. I think the line was thirty three three and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all right, age seven seven three DP show email undress dpat dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP show. Fritzie's got some pull questions, or at least estis here in his passive aggressive voice.
Speaker 10: The Phillies Michael Lorenzen's no hitter made me smile, rejoice, Wonder why it's become so commonplace to throw a no nose?
Speaker 2: Wait, rejoice, Yeah, hooray for this guy.
Speaker 10: It's his second time pitching for the Phillies and his family was there, his mom was there, and like, let's celebrate a no hitter.
Speaker 8: Some people are still.
Speaker 2: Excited, excited when the last time you rejoiced, it's been a while, Okay, that's what I thought. I don't know if I've ever rejoiced.
Speaker 4: You haven't feel or you haven't felt or shown great joy or delight in.
Speaker 6: I don't think reading.
Speaker 2: Well, what about joyce? Can you like?
Speaker 6: It's a rejoice joyce again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, rejoice like I've joiced second time.
Speaker 8: At least they give joyed rejoice Yeah.
Speaker 10: But yeah, Well, recently, a few weeks ago, I found out that the local pizza place was making like chicken rolls and that wasn't on the menu, and I kind of rejoiced about that because they just had pizza and garlic knots basically, and now all of a sudden chicken palm rolls and spin. It drove I kind of it was more than smile. Is I think borderline?
Speaker 2: No? No, I do believe you.
Speaker 10: Yes, four minute drive from my housele chicken rolls really not just the piece.
Speaker 2: Of borderline rejoice. I get that.
Speaker 6: Rejoice seems like where you'd run around with your arms in the air, and it's almost like celebration.
Speaker 8: He says, I didn't do that around the pizza places.
Speaker 2: What are the other pole questions?
Speaker 10: The catcher of a no hitter deserves half the credit, A brief mention or acknowledgement.
Speaker 8: Nothing, be grateful you had the best seat in the house for history. That's goin of cold.
Speaker 3: It is okay who should get more credit? A caddy when you win a major or a catcher when you throw a no hitter?
Speaker 8: M I like that one a lot.
Speaker 3: Thank you to thank you. See it's not negative like you like to skew negative.
Speaker 8: That's a very valid fair question.
Speaker 2: This is this is a comparative pole. Question is what it is who deserves.
Speaker 3: Remember when Stevie Williams was Tiger's caddy and he was asked how many majors that he had won.
Speaker 2: I think he set eleven.
Speaker 3: And then I remember talking to Phil Mickelson's caddy at the time, bones I said, how many majors have you won? He goes none, because I Phil won those.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I'm just the caddy. Steve Williams was saying, oh, yeah, we won eleven majors.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul.
Speaker 6: I've heard that some caddies are integral. They walk through the course, they play, they advise on shots, and some caddies carry the bag and keep their mouth closed. And that's it is that How it varies with pro golfers, Well.
Speaker 2: It depends on your relationship. Really. The motto is keep up, shut up.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's one other part of that, but basically that's the role of the caddy.
Speaker 6: Sometimes when you watch that level, though.
Speaker 2: No it shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: They're they're like if you listen to Jordan's speed with his caddy, it's like, you know, they talk more than they probably do with their wives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes I get a little obsessed with watching the dynamics between a pro golfer and their caddy, because sometimes I hate how like dismissive. It could be like they'll just drop their club and let their caddy pick it up, or they'll just hold it up behind them while they're walking, and it's like, man, that really drives me nuts. And they and they'll blame the caddy whenever the putt goes the other way.
Speaker 3: They'll look at the caddy like what you like what you're the one that putted it?
Speaker 5: And the cats would be like, I don't know, you hit it, you screwed it up.
Speaker 3: Who deserves more credit a caddy or the catcher.
Speaker 2: For a no hitter?
Speaker 4: Do you just say a caddy and leave it like not a caddy for a major win or something like that.
Speaker 3: No, because I was gonna say, because it's a signature moment that you won a major and you threw a no hitter, or you know, just who plays a larger role yes time.
Speaker 10: The other thing is tricky with that is that they and they kind of cancel each other out. A pitcher can shake off a catcher is you know, it's giving you an idea and what to throw an ultimate the picture I guess could decide what's gonna throw.
Speaker 8: Same thing with the golfer.
Speaker 10: The caddy can say, hey, use this club, but ultimately the golfer will decide, you know what, I'm gonna stick with the four iron or whatever. So that makes that makes your pull cress it even trickier because it's not like one versus the other.
Speaker 8: It can both.
Speaker 10: Ultimately the picture and the golfer will decide what they want to do, even regardless of how much input the other has.
Speaker 2: Thank you too, Hey, great pole question, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: You did a great job today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you getting it in early.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I appreciate that thirty eight minutes into the show.
Speaker 2: Don't usually get that from the air of fire fire.
Speaker 8: Right now that being said, the capture, there's more.
Speaker 2: Thank you time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you to We'll get to your phone calls coming up and uh Tyler standing by.
Speaker 2: To take those phone calls.
Speaker 3: A couple other things here the NFL tonight, as I mentioned, Henry Ruggs gets three to ten years for vehicular manslaughter former Raiders wide receiver. And I was wondering, and I don't know if somebody who deals with these sentences can help me understand that he was driving drunk. He was driving his car down the strip in Vegas over one hundred and fifty miles an hour, hit a woman, sent the car hundreds of feet flying. The car golfed in flames. The woman died. She had her dog in there with her. And I don't know if this is does he pay something out and then he pleaded guilty, but he got three to ten years, which I mean. Even OJ Simpson weighed in on that, Hello, Twitter World. He said that the sentence was too lenient.
Speaker 5: Yees, Oh, thanks Oj, thanks for weighing on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I see here that he was originally looking at fifty years, but that there was a plea deal.
Speaker 2: But the plea deal does that mean there's a financial settlement? Is that how?
Speaker 3: And then the judge will take that under advisement. I don't it feels like if you did something, then you should be sentenced for what you did. I'm just curious that three to ten years given what happened yes time or.
Speaker 6: In the article it says nothing about a civil case or as part of the plea deals any type of settlement. It did say that this is the lowest sentence he basically could have gotten There was no nothing on the table for less than three years.
Speaker 3: But he killed somebody and he was drunk, Yeah, and he was driving one hundred and fifty miles an hour, and you get three years. Maybe like good behavior, he could be out in three years.
Speaker 6: You could find some court cases, though I'm not going to name names of former athletes that have gotten nothing, almost no jail time for vehculo Manselin, But.
Speaker 8: How does that?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Wasn't it Dante Stalworth? Was that the name of the receiver, Leonard Little I think was also I'm going to make sure I got the right people here.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be.
Speaker 3: Mentioning somebody in a criminal case, and they weren't. But there's a couple of vehicular homicide chance point.
Speaker 6: I wonder if Ruggs, who when he entered the league with the youngest player in the entire NFL, and his agent got to thegether and side instead of fighting this. We're twenty four, you know, maybe we could be out of jail at twenty seven and salvage some type of NFL career and financial stability.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't care about his future.
Speaker 3: I want to know about this, you know, the family of this poor woman who was murdered, and you know, the car went up in flames and he got, you know, maybe three years. I don't understand that. Maybe somebody from the legal community can help me.
Speaker 6: Under the family was involved in this. They talked to both the prosecutor and the defense attorney and they did issue a statement at this that they were not I shouldn't say in paraphrasing here, they were understanding of the settlement, the plea deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, but the settlement is what I'm curious about.
Speaker 6: There's nothing about anything going forward about a settlement or a civilicate.
Speaker 3: But if you're a judge, can you can Let's say something happened and some he killed somebody and you say, hey, I'm going to plead guilty. I want to you know, can I get a plead deal here?
Speaker 2: Well? Why am I giving that to you? I don't understand that. Paul. You got a friend who's a judge.
Speaker 6: I'll ask him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then Oj OJ saying the sentence. But but OJ was talking about when he was trying to rob those guys from the sports memorabilia stuff in Vegas, and his sentence was stronger than I think Henry Ruggs, and that's what OJ was saying.
Speaker 6: They got OJ for kidnapping though, at gunpoint, and that's that's a big one. That someone threatened I'm gonna pull a gun and you can't leave here.
Speaker 2: But but he couldn't plead.
Speaker 6: You know, I think he did. I'm not sure. I think.
Speaker 2: I mean he he had a stronger sentence then he.
Speaker 6: Had eleven years a guy he kind of steals on memorabilia back.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he was.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a break. We got our play of the day up. NeXT's supposed to play golf today. Rains in the four. That doesn't stop me. Thunder and lightning do, but rain doesn't. Because I got to get out there with my PXG Plus. Here's something for you, PXG Gen six Driver Challenge. Visit PXG dot com or your local PXG retailer and then you sign up. It's a free fitting. Take advantage of that. Custom fitting makes all the difference. It did for me. I got to work with my fitter Nick. He improved my game, and what I loved about it is he didn't try to change my swing. He adapted the PXG clubs to my swing. And they're so confident in their PXG driver if it doesn't deliver more total distance both carry and roller tighter dispersion compared to what you're using right now, they got you covered one hundred dollars MasterCard reward card. The PXD driver makes all the difference. The Gen six Driver Challenge. Get ready to hit the fairways, and I mean hit the fairways with your drives PXG Driver Challenge. Go to PXG dot com for terms and conditions. Nobody makestall clubs the way we do period PXG. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 14: Listen to comeback stories. I'm Darren Waller. You may know me best as a tied end for the New York Giants. You may also know me for my story of overcoming addiction alcoholism. You may have heard a few of my tracks as an artist or a producer, and you may have seen the work that I've done through my foundation. And you may know my friend and co host Donnie Starkins as well. He's a mindfulness teacher, a yoga instructor, a life coach, a man fully invested in seeing people reach their fullest potential. And we've come to form this platform of Comeback Stories to really highlight not only our own adversity, but adversity in the lives of well known guests with amazing stories. Catch us every week on Comeback Stories on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the play of the day left.
Speaker 7: Play.
Speaker 3: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out.
Speaker 12: The three to two pitch swing in a high fly ball center field coming in his row house. He's calling.
Speaker 5: He has got it.
Speaker 12: Lorenzen leaps into the arms of real Newt and the Phillies pile out of the knockout in front of the mound. They celebrate a new hitter tonight by Michael Lorenzen in his second start as a Philly.
Speaker 3: That's courtesy of WYP, the Phillies radio network. Lorenzen with a career high one hundred and twenty four pitches, the most in a game by any pitcher this season, the most in a no hitter since Mike Fires had one thirty one in his no hitter in twenty nineteen. That's your play of the day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, Autograph cards, memorabilia cards, instant classics, rare inserts and more. Start a continuer collection at Paniniamerica dot net. Did see a really remarkable stat and uh, I'm not sure if this was I want to give credit, but I don't know. Let's see, it was on Twitter and it had to do with the no hitter. Four pitchers have played in the Major leagues after attending Fullerton Union High School in Fullerton, California, and now all four have thrown a no hitter in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: Stat of the day, Good day, that past dat of the day. Stat of the day.
Speaker 8: Here it comes that what stat of the day?
Speaker 3: Steve Busby, the Great, Walter Johnson, Michael Lorenzen, and Mike Warren. Mike Warren nineteen eighty three might have been with the Oakland A's, but four pitchers from Fullerton Union High School have pitched in the majors. All four have now thrown no hitters after Michael Lorenzen.
Speaker 2: Did That's an incredible stat.
Speaker 3: A couple of phone calls in here early poll results, seat and what do we have.
Speaker 4: Well, we got a bunch of poll questions at all right now, the one we just put up who plays a larger role a caddy during a major or a catcher during a no hitter?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 4: Seventy one percent of the audience say a catcher during a no hitter?
Speaker 5: That makes sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I think this says a lot about the demographic of our audience. But I'm old school, new school. You want to guess on that one, they're old school? Eighty seven percent is old school?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, indeed.
Speaker 4: And then we also have a which game are you more interested in watching tonight? Texan's at Patriots, Vikings at Seahawks, Viking Seahawks at fifty eight.
Speaker 2: If it was regular season? Yes.
Speaker 3: I kind of like teams that are a mess in the preseason because you're kind of figuring out, you know, are the guys you drafted really high?
Speaker 2: Are they going to play?
Speaker 3: You know, what's the prospectus for some of these And you know, I'm starting to get more feedback on the Texans being like they're not bad. I don't know what that means. But I was told yesterday by somebody who works for them, say, hey, don't sleep on us. I said, well, I have slept on you a few times previous years where you're not very good or you make me sleep after watching you guys. Cassie in Wisconsin, Hi, Cassie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Well, I think I'm in the minority of this whole. Catchers versus caddies. Who's more important. My dad was actually a caddy on the Senior Tour and the PGA Tour for about thirty years, and I have seen their roles that they play. But I think it's a big contributing factor is the relationship that they have with their golfer. Because there's a lot of highs on than a round of golf. You've got to manage all of those emotions and if you don't, you might get fired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and thank you, Kessie.
Speaker 3: I think what happens is it's more of a personal relationship. You got to be a cheerleader. Sometimes you've got to give tough love. Sometimes you have to just shut up, don't do anything. What was the saying there, Marvin, show up, keep up, shut up? Is that the Caddy motto something yeah, okay, yeah, Christian in Utah, Hi Christian, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 8: Christian?
Speaker 7: First time, long time six to one a semisoft two fifty. So maybe be able to shed a little light on some questions you pose about Rugs. Okay in the court decision yesterday. Yeah, so, first of all, with regard to a settlement, the courts typically don't get involved in personal unders settlement. There may be restution of cor congrant. But I do know that a personal injury lawyer shortly after the accident issued a press release saying that he represented a family against mister Ruggs. But as to the case and why three to ten was agreed to, if you look at some of the articles from yesterday, the prosecutors claimed that they were concerned there was could be a lack of probable cause for the search warrant to perform the chemical test from the blood draw on mister Ruggs, and if they ended up appealing that and it was overturned, it would be a very difficult case to show a d why if the results of the blood draw were thrown out of court?
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you for that, Christian.
Speaker 3: The judge said this was one of the more tragic cases that she's ever seen, before sentencing Ruggs plea agreement under which Ruggs eligible for parole after three years. Mark Sanchez, former NFL quarterback, will join us coming up CC Sabbathia a little bit later on as well