Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zeema Comany Today from the home office in Austin, Texas. Today's show is all about helping you, helping your skin, answering these urban myths we hear so much els on social media. Everybody pretends to be a medical expert when it comes to lift Filler's botox, everything that we're inundated with these days. We got to separate fact from fiction.
Speaker 2: Well, we really wanted to have this person on, especially after we had mentioned those Love Island photos, the cast photos that went kind of everywhere, and they were women in their twenties and even a plastic surgeon who looked at the photos thought they were ten years older or more.
Speaker 3: So, why is this happening?
Speaker 2: What is going on with injectables that were doing Filler's botox and a few other celebrity headlines with aesthetics that we wanted to get addressed and cleared up. So we have on today Nurse Jamie. If you've never heard her name before, a Nurse Jamie has been known.
Speaker 3: I'd heard her like on ET.
Speaker 2: We'd covered her many times before because she has been known as an absolute expert with tons of celebrity clients in the LA area for years. She's the owner of Beauty Park Medical Spa in Santa Monica in the LA Area, and she's been on you know, I mean everything from The Doctors to The Today's Show to Revenge Body. Uh, so many shows and for such a good reason to say.
Speaker 4: Her biggest show ever, your most dramatic podcast ever. And here she is to take some of the drama out of our faces. Nurse Jamie. Do you like to be called Can we just call you Jamie?
Speaker 5: You can just call me James.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not like your superhero name that you kind of are a superhero.
Speaker 1: You guys that have fet like to call her Nurse James.
Speaker 5: That's awesome. Yeah. No. I actually worked at a spa that Kirsten Duns and there were three Jamies. There was a nurse Jamie and massage Jamie and an esthetician Jamie. And I was the tallest one and they call me Big Jamie and.
Speaker 1: I was no, no, that's not gonna work, no, no.
Speaker 3: So that's the origin of Nurse Jamie.
Speaker 1: That's funny. That's like that was like all the years on the on the Bachelor, it was like, okay, we have five Laurens this season. Yes, so I would like to talk to massage Jamie and then Nurse Jamie and then.
Speaker 2: Actually that would have made more sense in The Bachelor. You guys did like Lauren B and Lauren Z. They should have just had nicknames.
Speaker 1: Like I used the Moniker from whatever the weird title we gave them.
Speaker 3: All Right, Well, by the way, nurse you don't want Nurse Jamie. I don't know if you've ever been asked this, are you? Did you ever watch The Bachelor?
Speaker 5: I did, of course.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what did you generally think of, like the women, especially as you saw them over the years. Could you see like the esthetic trends changing because each season it was this new crop of women who would come in, Like, could you start to be see like, oh, they're they're getting more botox now fillers are coming in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so, I mean a little bit, yeah, I think a little a little. You could see tweets.
Speaker 1: Here and there, one of the big differences. It always happened inevitably because you know, nobody usually now it's changed because they can see themselves on camera so often. But back in the day, you wouldn't see yourself on television ever or on camera. They would inevitably see themselves on camera because they watched the show and then we would do the specials. There was like a good month or so. Yeah, it was like they often would see themselves and go, oh, I don't like my neck, I don't like this on TV and they would change. It was really interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah it is. It is jarring. Yeah show. I did show on Netflix and yeah, I thought I needed the biggest makeover. So yeah, I know, I know the feeling.
Speaker 2: I think that happens with Real Housewives too, like they'll come back the second season and they have changed quite a.
Speaker 5: Bit second season definitely.
Speaker 1: Don't you feel though that chasing that constantly can can be a detriment at some point because you know it's like, okay, maybe I could use some you know, botox something like that. But it's when you start chasing it and then you add on, now I want to do my nose, now, I want to do my cheeks, now I want to do Do you think that that kind of stacking effect and chasing it.
Speaker 3: Or maybe like how do you avoid that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I think usually the person that is worried about it is usually doesn't have the problem, you know, the I think. I think it's like anything. I think, like donuts are delicious, but too many donuts are our problems. So I don't know. I think there's a way to do it. And you know, I always compare it to detailing your car and painting your house, Like why is it okay to do that? But you're supposed to feel bad about doing stuff for yourself, like for me, I just like, I don't think anybody else even notices. I just do things for me. But I mean my face I've been you know, I've been doing this for over twenty years. My face still moves, and I don't need to go to crazy town. But I also don't like to look like I feel sometimes.
Speaker 2: Well, one reason we really wanted to bring you on was we had talked about this in kind of a little news episode last week. I don't know if you saw these photos from the new season of Love Island of the cast members kind of went everywhere because people thought that they were so much older than they actually are. And actually then this video got big of a plastic surgeon like his team asked him to guess their ages and he was guessing they were like ten or twenty years older than they are, And at the end of the video he said, you know, sometimes work can make you look older, and that was one thing I wanted to ask you about. Is like, I do feel that probably, and I don't blame people today, but it's because we're all constantly analyzing ourselves on iPhone cameras and on social media that people are getting more work done younger. And why is it, like what type of work, what's the wrong way to do it? Where people are making themselves look older at a young age.
Speaker 5: Well, I think I think sometimes it's adding too much. I think filler is sometimes the culprit or even just being Yeah, I think any of it can be too much when you're you know, when your forehead doubles is a mirror, or if you start doing filler when you don't really need it, it can you know, kind of stretch out the skin and age the face. And there's there's a lot of things that can happen. There's some right ways to do it. But then I guess, yeah, when you start looking like everyone starts looking what I call like a number thirty seven, like a similar face and it is start, it's hard to tell what their chronological age is.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed a push to grab the younger audience in pharmaceutical you know, in all of this stuff, whether it's botox fillers, whatever. I feel like this is almost like, you know, cigarettes, what's okay, we have all the old people smoking. What's the new frontier? We got to get young kids smoking. You know, let's let's create a cartoon camel and let's start selling it to kids.
Speaker 3: I feel like you forgot about the cartoon camera.
Speaker 1: I feel like this has started happening. With cosmetic surgeries and everything that we're doing. It's like, okay, kids, if you start doing this in your twenties.
Speaker 2: It's you're talking about the preventive mindset, Like if you need to get preventive.
Speaker 1: It's preventive. And I'm like, is in your mind is that legit or is it complete bullshit? Because the best you're going to look in your life is when you're in your twenties. That's when you got elasticity.
Speaker 3: College just depressing, Okay, I mean it's not.
Speaker 1: The prettiest we're going to be, but I mean as far as what's in your skin and what's in your body that you're the healthiest.
Speaker 5: I mean, I have eleven year old triplets, so yeah, they already are like watching you know, social media sometimes and I want to go to my two girls and one son, and my girls want to go to Suppora all the time. So and that's like off of social media, you know, trying to I can't believe how many times say want to go to Sephora, and even I am like, you're not buying skincare with active ingredients and that's like eleven year old. So I do think it's something to be aware of. I think that it's there's ways to do it. I started doing botox when I was probably twenty one, So I started doing it was young because I worked at a plastic surgeons and dermato. I worked for a group of dermatologists and I just always had a very expressive forehead. And I think that you can start doing things younger. It's just like you just have to it's you have to tread carefully. I think there's ways to do it, and that it actually is preventive because once the lines get edged, because it's just like if you do sit ups, like you get abs and if you're if you have a very expressive face and you actually lose the tissue there, then you would have to do filler or other things. So it can be preventative. But then there's also the thing where you can do it too much, where it like atro fees the muscle and then causes a separate issue. So it's just like there's a way to do it, but you have to do it right. You have to go to the right provider.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you just gave me the best. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was the most helpful explanation I've heard yet because the abs thing, for example, because I had never really thought about that. You're right, like, if you're someone with a super expressive forehead, well then maybe younger makes more sense to you. My mom is always telling me. She's like, honey, you're me, you have my genetics.
Speaker 3: Look at me.
Speaker 2: She's like, I started botox in my fifties. Do you see any lines on my face?
Speaker 3: Do you think that's a good way to go? Is it helpful to look.
Speaker 2: At our own families like you just mentioned in your family, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Because like in my family, in my family, it's definitely we tend to lose tissue there and that line gets etched well, so, yeah, I think it's a way to do that, but then you could look completely separate from your family. So I think if a line is starting to show and you're not making the expression and it's really deep, that's something to consider.
Speaker 1: Sadly, my family also has expressive foreheads and no abs. I wish I had reversed acts.
Speaker 2: You also just hit on something I really want to dive into because I think this might be helpful for our audience. You said, you tell you're eleven year olds. They can't buy skincare with active ingredients. I hear this from so many of our friends who have especially young teenagers. It's like this skincare craze when I was in middle school, like we maybe used set a fill face wash and that was it.
Speaker 3: I don't think I even use moisturizer.
Speaker 2: But now, because of social media, it's like getting skincare is like having the Abercrombie T shirt when I was young, Like, they need these brands. So how do you What skincare brands do you trust for young girls to have and what ingredients should parents look for to avoid because it's not right for their skin at this young age.
Speaker 1: What you allow your daughters to have, well, I love.
Speaker 5: Them like more like a set of fill type thing. I mean, I actually have skincare. But my bigger thing is I'm a bigger proponent of massage. I feel like that's something happening with like younger, younger generation, even everyone. I feel like our jawlines are changing because we're like always in a forward tilt. So I'm a bigger fan of like doing a massage type regime using lighter ingredients, more natural ingredients. And then it's like, why don't we inject hyaluronic acid because you want to get the product to penetrate. So there's something that's happening where it again talking about like doing sit ups are almost when you're always in a forward tilt, it causes like a shortening of that muscle. And I feel like doing patient care like people, this is becoming one plane because if you're always engaged, like people's necks are actually widening. So even my eleven year olds, they're you know, my son's on that stupid Fortnite all the time, and and then everybody's on school on the iPad, and then they're on their phones. You know, it just is what it is. I make them go now it's summers and I'm making them go outside as much as I can.
Speaker 2: Wow, I never thought about that because we're all looking down literally, are like our skin is our muscles are going that way, and our skin is sagury.
Speaker 1: We're going to look back, you know, like generations from now, centuries from now, they'll look at like our skeletons and how like we're going to look skeletally very bizarre.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I I have my I make my kids like do like a facial roller and and that's just like it's it's massage, it's getting uh, it's stimulating your lymphatic.
Speaker 1: System, and they feel like they're doing something. They feel like it's fun and it's something that they they're their routine on me. Our daughter, same thing. She went to Sephora. She's now, you know, in her twenties, but at the time she would go to Sephort all the time because just but here's the difference.
Speaker 2: I think it's different though, even than when Taylor was younger. That used to be like, oh, I want to play with makeup, but now young girls are like, I want to go get like drunk Elephant and all these skincare brands they're obsessed with drunk Elephant. I think it's just because it's like colorful packaging. It just looks cute.
Speaker 3: You're right. I have one. You're right.
Speaker 2: I have one friend who let her daughter buy drunk Elephant just because her daughter said, I want to be able to put it out on my counter like esthetically, So she let her buy it, but she doesn't let her use it because she's like nine, so so she just puts it out there, kind of like how I used to wear a shirt that's at Abercron, but it's like the drunk elephant is out there. Are there any ingredients parents with like preteens should really look like your kids should not be using skincare with these ingredients and a preteen age.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think a lot of really high vitamin C and black collids and things of that nature, because you want to protect the skin's barrier. So that's why I'm like a fan of more you know, natural ingredient deck and then using massage. I just think that's like a better way to go because you want to keep that barrier intact. Because the scent that makes you more susceptible to damage from the sun from free radicals, so your skin is the largest organ on the body. Its main function is to protect you, so you want to keep that barrier intact, and you know it's it's too many chemicals for you know, a virgin skin.
Speaker 1: Well, can we change the subject because I want to talk about fillers?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, because I have a quote.
Speaker 2: So that's so the most dramatic introduction fillers have ever.
Speaker 1: Had to about fillers because okay, so we have done. You know, botox has been around for two decades now. We have massive amounts of research on it and studies, and we have case studies because people have been using it. I don't think that is the case for fillers yet, am I sorry?
Speaker 5: Am I?
Speaker 1: Am I wrong there? Because we have not been using it that long and I think we are. It seems like in some of the research I'm seeing, we're finding there might be some negative effects to this and that it doesn't dissolve like we all just think, and that it stays in our body and affects our lymphatic system. What are you finding?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean again, I think it's it's it's like everything. I think that it can be good if it's used properly, and it has been out for approximately not quite as long, but you know, because it was zyeplasts and ziderm, which is like bovine dry you have to do and I used to do it. When that's the case, you had to get an allergy test on the inner aspect of your arm. You came back and you did that. Now you know, everybody uses hyaluronic acid. You know, they don't even make any other stuff anymore, really, and you know, I I think it's a safe product. I just I've always done it artistically, you know, And now I'm on trend, like I've always just done artistic placement. Like I guess if I were a contractor like you would come to me for restoration, not to build an addition. I'm just I just that's just I don't excel in that. And when you do it in that way, I don't think I've in twenty years, like really ever had a problem. But again, and I do a technique that I a trademark called baby drop technique. But I use a pediatric gauge needle and I literally put it in droplets at a time. So using that technique, I can't imagine having an issue. But I never say never, But yeah, if you put it too close to the surface, it doesn't go away. It's just like almost like a varicose vein where that blood becomes stagnant and kind of stays. That filler can be there until the end, you know, So it doesn't dissolve when it's placed in the wrong plane. If it's too superficial, it doesn't get enough blood flow, it can become necrotic. There's all kinds of issues from improper placement, But in of itself, I think the product is safe. It just has to be used in the right way.
Speaker 2: Wow, So it's so important your provider, right, what do you recommend people look for when they're finding a provider to do fillers and botox and help them with this anti aging journey we're all on.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I always like it if there's instead of just like social media, if you if you know somebody that's actually gone there, you know, I think that that's a better way to do. I mean that's how I kind of choose my providers, is like usually through like a personal referral instead of just like what so and so has done, you know.
Speaker 1: Let somebody be the guinea pig for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wells say and someone who you know who looks great and like as opposed to yes, someone you don't know. On social media, so.
Speaker 1: Many people are talking as if they are doctors, nurses, whatever, you don't know, and they're giving you nutritional information and work out you know, and some of them are brilliant. There's some amazing people and there's some great information out there. You're one of them. That's how we found you, and we and we follow you. But the opposite of that is very dangerous of what people recommend or what they say, and you also have to think what are they selling you know, who are they contracted by, and who are they endorsing.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you.
Speaker 2: You mentioned lip fillers earlier, so this is maybe a dumb question, but something I've wondered because Kylie Jenner just came out and said she dissolved, partially dissolved her lip fillers, and she had kind of an emotional moment about it and.
Speaker 1: Tough journey she's been on.
Speaker 3: Well she got some much pushback from that.
Speaker 2: But but if you are someone who's done at a younger age significant amount of lip filler, does that stretch your skin and can you get that skin back? Or is it like, once you start with a lot of lip filler, you're kind of committing to that for many years because you're literally stretching out your lips.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it can just like like having too large of a breasting planet. It definitely can stretch out the skin or the lip, or it can cause some uneven texture. I mean there's things that you can do with like laser and micro needling to kind of repair it. But then yeah, there is things, Yeah, there can be damage from that. So yeah, again, I guess it is like, you know, slow and steady wins the race on that. Yeah, I don't think that young kids need to be doing like lip filler or something like even it's you know, unless it's something that's uneven or like really traumatizing like I've had, you know, like kids that have had like left palette and things like that. So those are completely different issues.
Speaker 2: What do you recommend age wise that I actually wanted to ask you that we just had this incredible guy, doctor Aiman, on our podcast and he was talking to us about how the brain and including especially the decision making part of the brain, isn't really fully developed until you're about twenty five twenty six. So when you're I don't know if you have patients this young or maybe people bring even their kids in.
Speaker 3: But say somebody comes in and they're.
Speaker 2: Eighteen nineteen and they want, like any a nose job or a boob job or anything.
Speaker 3: How do you think that should be handled?
Speaker 2: Is that something where especially I guess from the question of like is your body fully developed at that point or if you're nineteen or you maybe still going to change a couple more years, and maybe you should wait on the nose job.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I say this as someone who I've had a.
Speaker 2: No so like I'm totally I think if something's really bothering you, like get you know, make yourself happy if it's been an issue for years.
Speaker 3: But how do you have that conversation with.
Speaker 2: Someone who's maybe in their late or teens or around that age.
Speaker 1: Is the're an adult but not really?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Right, I mean I think that we're all little snowflakes and you have to kind of take that individually, like it's something that really affects someone, you have to consider that if it affects their self esteem. And I think that it's a case by case thing, the nose thing, because I think I know I remember like having a girlfriend that did it before college, and that was like a big thing for her and it really kind of changed her life. So, because I don't do no surgery, I don't have like intimate experience on that. But I'm not necessarily opposed to it as as some might be if it's you know, if it's if they really feel passionately about it, and you know, I think you have to listen to you to your children on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I have one last question for you. One worse little celebrity headline. Christin Cavaleri made a lot of drama a couple of weeks ago, and she said that she does not wear sunscreen, and she said we spend too much time. Well, I think she was having a conversation about people spending too much time indoors now and the sun gives us nourishment and we should be out in the sun more. And she says she doesn't wear sunscreen. Where what would be your response to that as someone who works with people's skin, Like, is there some we should be getting a little more natural sunlight and should we wear sunscreen?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I do agree with sunscreen. I think if you're out for short term, you know, I think it. Maybe it's okay. There is something some points to like not getting enough vitamin D, but you're still getting vitamin D absorption with sunscreen. But yeah, I mean there's points to both of those are But I mean, I can't tell people not to wear it sunscreen, so yeah, I just wouldn't you know, I would. I don't know, but I am. I will be honest and say I'm not the most draconian about it myself, but I'm also not out in the sun as much as I should be either, Right, I'm the one locking my kids up, but not out there myself.
Speaker 2: That's right, especially during the summer. Well, Nurse Jamie, thank you so much. Now you mentioned you have a skincare line.
Speaker 3: What is that line?
Speaker 5: It's called Nurse Jamie. But I'm going to send you guys rollers because I'm telling you it's something you should be doing, because it happens. And I'm sure just being on podcasts being like editing your you're in your head isn't a forward tilt. It's like my new little soapbox. Because I think that not just it's not just my patience, but like I said, even my kids like that. It is the thing they say that it's you know, our jaw lines are changing because we're eating less meat and different things. But I swear, as a provider doing patient care over twenty years, I've noticed that the nets are we having almost the same width as a jaw line.
Speaker 1: Where can we find those?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So you have your own roller?
Speaker 5: Yes? I do. Yes, Nurse Jamie dot com.
Speaker 1: Nurse Jamie dot com. What's the name of the roller? Does it have like a really on the uplift?
Speaker 3: Hey, let's get uplifted. I'm ready.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm going to send it to you guys.
Speaker 2: Please do I Oh my gosh, it's truly thank you so much because I mean, I knew I've heard your name for so long being in celebrity news, and I some of what you said today was the most poignant, simple, clear way I've heard it.
Speaker 3: So thank you so much, and I can't wait to try the roller.
Speaker 1: Bliss right, my nurse Jamie. He massage Jamie, A totally different Jamie. Different Jamie Jamie. Even though it is a massage, it's that's a different Jamie.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Jamie.
Speaker 1: Bye, thanks for listening. Follow us all on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.