Speaker 1: Welcome to Haunted Road, a production of iHeartRadio and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Manky listener Discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Years ago, my dear Friendship Coffee and I made a trip to a small town in Pennsylvania. Our mission to potentially buy an old haunted mansion. You see, this particular Victorian was for sale in a town that had seen a huge economic downturn over the last few decades, and this mansion, built in more profitable times, had just sat. It's beautiful but peeling wallpapered walls, a dusty grand spiral staircase, a crumbling carriage house in the back, and even an elevator. To me, this was a dream come true. Chip and I saw so much potential in this grand old lady, and boy did we want her for our own. As we left and were slowly closing the door, for a split second, I thought I saw someone peer around a hallway wall, as if wondering who are those people? As fate would have it, it wasn't meant to be. After we sat and really discussed the logistics of owning such a property, mainly getting to it, we decided against it. It was one of the hardest decisions and one the two of us reflect on.
Speaker 1: Often.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of what ifs, But why don't we explore the story of a home where someone did jump forward and make such a purchase. Join me as we travel to the mcineer Villa in Atchison, Kansas. I'm Amy Bruney, and this is Haunted Road. A Queen Anne style red brick house stands at the top of a hill in Atchison, Kansas. Although the home is over a century years old, its design and decorp have stayed remarkably consistent over the years. In fact, it would be virtually impossible for anyone to do an extensive remodel. According to the Homes National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form, its walls are just too thick and strong. If anyone were to knock one over, the whole house could come crumbling down. Over the years, a porch was removed, a door was closed off, and bathrooms were added. The kitchen was also updated, but beyond that, the house today looks very similar to how it did when it was first built nearly one hundred fifty years ago. Many of its stained glass windows are original. The banisters have detailed carvings and elaborate columns support the peaked roof in the attic period furniture graces the five bedrooms, four bathrooms, and the seven rooms in the basement. It's also decorated with various mannequins and dolls, including one that's said to be haunted. Her name is Esmerelda, and she's a nineteenth century marriage made with real human hair. From the outside, the house looks ominous with its slate black roof and a wrap around porch that's shaded by heavy eaves. On the north side of the house, a simple plaque declares that this is the mcinteer Villa. It's nestled in Atchison, Kansas, a town that once sat on a major stagecoach line. Its population exploded in the late nineteenth century and now about ten thoy five hundred people live there. And if you're thinking this sounds familiar, that's because the mcinteer Villa is just about a mile from the Sally House, which I covered earlier this season. In fact, according to a Ghost on Every Corner by Don Coleklasier, Atchison has an unusually high number of haunted locations in it. The community has been dubbed the most ghostly Town in Kansas. The Mcenteer Villa was built in eighteen eighty nine and eighteen ninety by John mcinteer. He was a first generation Irish American immigrant who'd made a fortune as a harnessmaker.
Speaker 1: According to the.
Speaker 2: Visit Atchison website, his saddle and harness shop was very popular due to the superior quality of his work. The demand for his goods was so high John practically had no choice but to expand the business. He and his wife Alice spent fourteen thousand dollars on construction for their home. Adjusted for inflation, that was the equivalent of about half a million dollars today when it was finished. It's belief that John gave it the name of mcineer Villa himself. He reportedly was the one who had the title etched into the stone. Sadly, his wife Alice only got to enjoy the new house for a little under two years. During that time, she suffered from what the Atchison Daily Globe called an intermittent fever, and in December of eighteen ninety one, she passed away inside the villa.
Speaker 1: Four years before.
Speaker 2: Remarrying and his second wife was a woman named Anna Colton, Like him. She had lost a former partner, and she and her late husband had three children together. She and John spent seven years in the villa before he passed on July seventeenth, nineteen o two. After John's death, Anna and her children remained in the home. Given that John never had any biological children, it made sense for his widow and stepchildren to keep the house. When Anna got older, her brother came to stay with her, and after she suffered a fatal heart attack in nineteen sixteen, even more of her family members came to stay with him. Anna's death made her the third person to die within the home in twenty five years, but one of the most tragic losses happened six years later, on October tenth, nineteen twenty two. That afternoon, the family was relaxing together when Anna's son, Charles Donovan, announced that he had a headache. He took some medicine and then headed upstairs. His relatives may have assumed that he was going to lie down, given Charles's history of poor health. He was a World War One veteran who'd survived about with the flu, but while he lived, he never fully recovered from the disease. He got sick frequently, and according to his friends, this may have made him feel depressed. No one thought much of it when Charles walked up the stairs, not until five minutes later, when the sound of a gunshot rang through the house. Charles had taken his own life, but the self inflicted wound wasn't immediately fatal. Instead, it took two hours for him to die of his injury, all while doctors scrambled to save him. Their efforts, sadly, were in vain. He was only thirty four years old. Given how much tragedy had happened within the walls, the family eventually moved out of McIntyre Villa, but they still owned it and rented it to tenants, and just seven years after Charles's death by suicide, another person died there. This time it was a newborn girl named Ramona Jane Wood. She was only four days old when she breathed her last on September twentieth, nineteen twenty nine. By nineteen fifty two, the home had been sold to someone who fit oddly well with its macabre reputation. The new buyer was a woman named Isobel Altis, but she went by Goldie. Goldie was in her late fifties, unmarried, childless, and liked to dress all in black. According to the Atchison Daily Globe, she also took in a large number of stray dogs and cats over the years, so naturally, the neighborhood children and those who attended the elementary school just across the street believed she was a witch. The truth was that she had been born and raised in Atchison, although she had lived out of state for some period of time. When she was in town, she worked as a secretary for the local police department. She had also spent some time playing the violin with the Denver Symphony Orchestra. Goldie managed to avoid any major tragedies while she owned the home, but she did fail to restore it to its original glory in spite of her best efforts to renovate it. Since she couldn't afford professional repair people, she tried to fix up the Mcenteer villa herself. The local paper, the Atchison Daily Globe, reported that people often saw her on the roof trying to patch it on her own. But after seventeen years of home ownership, Goldie was seventy five years old and her health was taking a turn for the worse. She had no choice but to sell the villa, but the new owners kindly let Goldie continue living there. In her final days, she enjoyed sitting in her rocking chair, and each day she'd call the same cab to take her to a local restaurant for dinner. One day in late December of nineteen sixty nine, the driver pulled up, but Goldie didn't come to the car like she usually did. The driver left, thinking she may have made other plans, but when she was a no show the second day, the driver called the police to request a welfare check. The police reached out to the homeowner and he rushed with them to the mcineer villa. As soon as he opened the front door, he could see Goldie slumped over in her rocking chair. Her trusty pistol was sitting on a nearby table, and her hand was on the gun. The owner was afraid to disturb Goldie while she was armed, so he went in through another entrance. He yelled Goldie's name as he approached so as not to surprise her, and when he finally made it to her side, he touched her arm to find her skin was cold and clammy. She'd been dead of natural causes for at least a full day after Goldie's death. The owner and his wife both moved in, and they in turn also passed away within the mcineer villa's walls. Their children sold it again. By this point there were already rumors and stories going around that the mcinteer ville was haunted, so the new buyers restored it and opened it up for ghost tours and paranormal investigations these days. Visitors on those tours report seeing objects move on their own. Other times they'll hear the distinct sound of a door knob turning or furniture dragging across the floor, but when they look into the room nothing is out of place. They also hear disembodied voices, distant piano music, and footsteps which sometimes follow visitors up and down the stairs to the attic. There are many reports of a baby crying, even when there's no child on the property. This could be the spirit of Ramona, who died in the home when she was just four days old. Alternatively, some psychics have claimed that at some point in the house's history, illegal abortions were performed in the villa's basement. I'll note that there's no historical documentation to verify that claim, but guests in the basement have also reported the sound of women moaning throughout the home. The lights often turn themselves on and off without anyone flipping the switch. Reportedly, this happened at least once when the villa's electricity was off, and guests sometimes see figures in the windows when the house is empty, or lights darting across the room. This activity is occasionally accompanied by a drastic drop in temperature or a strong whiff of either perfume or tobacco. One especially disturbing detail comes from the people who spend the night in the master bedroom. Reportedly, it's quite common for invisible hands to wake people by tugging on their feet, or for something that's not visible to walk across the bed, making the whole mattress shake. Additionally, there are many accounts of shadow figures and full bodied apparitions. These include a young man or a boy, a woman all in white, and a different woman in a pink dress. Goldie Altis, who died in her rocking chair, seems to still enjoy sitting in it. The chair has been said to sway on its own and if anyone else dares to take a seat in it, her spirit will touch or tickle that person. In general, Goldie is thought to be friendly, show play with visitor's hair, and she's been spotted strolling around in a black dress. Sometimes, even when Goldie isn't visible, guests can smell her distinctive perfume permeating the air, or hear violin music echoing through the house. Charles Donovan's spirit has also been reported in the home. He's frequently seen in the library, which may be the room where he took his own life. It's often chillier there than any other place in the house, and his disembodied footsteps can be heard echoing back and forth all across the second floor. Plus, you may remember the allegedly haunted doll I mentioned earlier, Esmerelda. When people are in her room with her, they sometimes feel a distinct sensation of something scratching them or pulling their hair. Given the house rich history and paranormal reports, it's only fitting that we talk with the owner, So that is coming up after the break. Okay, So I am now joined by Steph O'Reilly, who is the owner of the villa, and I'm gonna ask you right off the bat because I asked you beforehand. But I feel like this is a good question. How do you pronounce the name?
Speaker 3: That's awesome And I get this question so many times and I'm hoping, I hope I'm doing it right. I say mcinteer. Now I know I don't say McDonald's, but I don't know. For some reason, I just say mcinteer. It just sounds like that's it's supposed to be. Some will say McIntire. I'm not quite sure, but we're gonna go with mcinteer.
Speaker 2: Okay, McIntire it is. And that's I think what I said the whole first half. So that's good.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well, although I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: I recorded it a few weeks ago, so okay.
Speaker 1: So well, welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: And I just I really I want to know because I think, you know, I've talked with a few people this season in locations i've not been to. First of all, i've not visited you. I really would love to, especially after learning the history and everything. It sounds like such an amazing location. How did you come to be the owner?
Speaker 3: Well, I had gone to down the street. You've probably heard of it. It's called the Sally House. Yes, so the Sally House is like my house is on thirteenth and Sally House is on Second Street, and so we're very close at five minute drive if that. And so I stayed at the Sally House one night and nothing happened, which is fine. So I went back two weeks later because I'm like, I need I need to do I need to go back here for some reason. So anyway, I back then you used to have to check in at the depot and they would you'd follow them over there. So anyway, two weeks had gone by. I'm loud. I'm sure they just remembered like that loud girl. But they said there's a there's a house for sale and it's haunted. And I just remember I didn't ask which house. I was just looking up houses for sale and Atchison and I came across the house and it was gorgeous, and I just knew that was it and it wasn't it was it was something else. Anyway, I finally came across this house and I couldn't stop looking at it. I mean, it was just the weirdest thing. I live about an hour away. I would just get in my car and drive out here and look at the house. I would look it up on like real estate dot com stuff like that, and I would just show people like, look at this house, look at this house. It was just something about it. And I say, I'm not obsessed with anything, like nothing, but there was something about this house I couldn't get out of my head. So I called my mom and asked if she wanted to co sign, and she did not. Sometimes yeah, I'm like when it goes in an a haunted house, She's like nope. And so she called my dad and he said yes. It took him like two seconds and he co signed without even seeing it. He lived in Arizona. But so that's how I came across, or that's how I came to own the house. He was only here once. He passed away April thirteenth will be five years. But I have his ashes here and whenever I walk by giving a tour, I will knock on the glass and say, Dad, stir stuff up, oh, just because he would. That's his kind of humor. He would find it funny. And I don't want to exclud him because I wouldn't have it without him. And so some people look at me like I'm Bizarred. I'm like one hundred percent yes, but that was his humor. So that's how I came. That's how I became the owner of the villa.
Speaker 2: So it just kind of called to you, And I think that's that seems to be a theme when I speak with people who buy haunted locations. It's this kind of almost spiritual calling to them, and I feel like most of them are meant to be there in some way.
Speaker 1: And so did you necessarily know it.
Speaker 2: Was haunted before you bought it or were you just getting like a strong vibe from it?
Speaker 3: Okay, well it was already known for being haunted. Oh Okay, Atchison is known for being one of one of the most, if not the most haunted town in Kansas, and so they actually there are newspaper articles and news reports of Missus Girardi and I bought the house from the Girardis. Mister and Missus Girardi both passed away in the home. Therefore kids inherited the house. I bought it from their four kids. So when missus, when mister and missus I'm sorry, when Missus Girardi lived here after her husband husband had passed away. There are articles that you know, she did interviews with they used Haunted actress and used the house as the backdrop or the advertising four Haunted Actresses.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, makes sense there.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of cool that the stories would like there's a story Missus Girardi would say she would hear her husband coming in the back door from fishing or from work, and she'd hear his keys. And just last weekend, the back door opened twice and I'm sitting here giving a tour and actually we're standing in the dining room. The group had just shown up and you hear click, click, and it just opens up and they're like what, like like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, you, welcome to the house.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy that the things that happened to her still happened. So it's that makes it really cool to me because it's not something that people say like maybe if I brought in or something attached to the furniture, maybe you know that I brought in, but it's something that happened then. Or the whistles, like last night we heard a plane as day whistle and that's been going on since I don't know. That's one of the stories that Missus Geordi would tell. So it's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: When what was your first like wow experience when you bought the location, Like when did you go, Okay, yeah, this place is definitely haunted.
Speaker 3: The night I closed, oh my gosh, it was just so crazy I did. There was no furniture in the house, so I had some air mattresses and I was sleeping on while I was laying in one of the rooms. I didn't know which, you know, like when you go into a place and we, at least I used to and I probably still do, like where's the most active area, what time of day is the most active, you know whatever, and so I didn't ask what room was the most active. And so I'm just sleeping and trying to sleep in one of the rooms and I hear the door handle jiggling, and then I hear footsteps by my head and I'm on the air mattress, so I'm close to the floor and I'm like, it's walking next to my head. And my friend said, isn't this what you wanted? I'm like, shut up, yes, yeah. Sometimes yeah, sometimes.
Speaker 1: You get what you wish for.
Speaker 2: And then you're like, maybe I didn't.
Speaker 1: Really know what I was getting into. I love that though.
Speaker 2: That must have been such an exciting time though when it actually happened and you're there, there's no furniture yet and you just have this blank slate, and so what were your plans? Did you intend to kind of open.
Speaker 1: It for ghost tours? Were you going to live there?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What was your intention?
Speaker 3: My you two wasn't to never live here. I mean, it's it's a big house. It's a gorgeous house, but it's not I never intended to and I won't live here because I live an hour away, and well, I will go to locations and investigate. And I always just kind of joked like, oh my gosh, if there were a place for sale and haunted, how amazing would that be? And I, you know, it just happened to just I don't know if it's luck or what it was, but come across this house and so I don't know what took place. I don't even think they knew all of the deaths that were in the home. It's had nine that I know of nine documented deaths. I don't know. I know every owner that's lived here has died here, So I do not.
Speaker 1: I don't want to live here, right, What.
Speaker 3: Did I think well, my kids, they might appreciated it for business, like, oh, add another number. I mean that sounds weird.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair though, I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go somewhere, so why not the villain. I don't know, it sounds that sounds a little morbid, but it's still new. Things happen and it still freaks me out. The footsteps will always make me uncomfortable. Last night, I had a small event here and we heard it. Well, I was coming get in the hallway on the second floor, and I tell everyone, I don't like that second floor. If I'm here spending the night by myself, I don't like that second floor, and I won't come up here if I'm spending the night loan. But if there's one person, even if a friend of mine is here and they go to Walmart, I'm fine. I will go anywhere in this house. But so there were people here last night, but I'm the only one walking down the second floor hallway and I heard I thought was kind of like a lady moan or hum or something. So I lean over the banister and I'm like, who made that noise? Nobody did, and so I got on. I have cameras all around the house since I don't live here for security, but also they pick up the craziest stuff. So I got on the camera and it's a baby. It sounds like a newborn wow, crying and I have obviously I haven't posted it yet, but I'm going to today. But it's just so new stuff like that. We've captured babies crying, but this is a it's a different kind of cry. I don't know. It's so new things all the time, glowing eyes and where are those coming from? I don't know. Oh my goodness, there's so many different things that happen, and I'm sure maybe it's, you know, with all the people coming in, maybe it's somebody brought something, or maybe I did, or maybe it's something attached to this stuff. I don't know. So I'm not the best at explaining like what or who is at the villa because we also there's something that mimics people, and that's so I've heard my dad talking, but I don't think it's him, and that sounds weird, but I just don't. I just don't think it. I just feel it's not him. Somebody's captured a little girl on the second floor, and I just don't feel it's a little girl. But for some reason, when we go to the basement and I hear a kid, I feel it's a kid. So I don't know. If I don't think I have a gift, some people will say yes, No, I don't know. I think the more places I go, it feels like it's something is opening up a little bit more that I can. I'm hearing more my friends that I were talking about the other day, like we are hearing more things just out loud, just sitting around. And I don't know if it's if we are opening ourselves up more or we're just hear more and we know the house better. I don't know what it is. But still the new things that happen are it never gets old. I'll just say that that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair.
Speaker 2: I mean so I think I know, just on a personal level, having investigated so many different places, I feel like over time, I wouldn't say that I'm, you know, psychic, but I do think you just start to get kind of not necessarily more open, but you're just aware of that different feeling the more you're around it, Like you know, I can usually yeah, I can usually walk into a location even if I'm not there on like a ghostly on ghostly business, you know, I'll walk in and be like, whooh, there's something here, you know, like I can just feel the difference, And I just think you acquire that over time, So that might be part of it. And I do think there's a big There's something to the fact too that you're there so often that they feel more comfortable around you, and so that could be it too. But my question is like, so what did you furnish the place with? Did you bring in antiques?
Speaker 3: And everything I did? So nothing came with the house. Well, there is a rocking chair that one on a lady had passed away in nineteen sixty nine, Goldie or Isabel Altis, so that came with the house. Everything else I brought in and Facebook Marketplace, antique stores, estate sales. Estate sales are my favorite because I'm not a haggler. Yeah, I will not ask for I'm like, there's the price, I will take it. So they're my favorite because you can't haggle. Yeah, I don't know, but I I it's been so much fun and it's not my we like where I live it or my house. It's very like bright colors modern. It's the more weird the better. That's just my taste. And so this was like very different. But it's been so much fun because it's just so unique. It's just the ornate, the woodwork, it's just crazy. And also the furniture is a little more, is a little daintier, and I don't have to ask for help and moving it. So that's what I love the most about it. But no, it brought all of it in getting on zillow. If anyone types in thirteen oh one Kansas Avenue can see what it looked like when I bought it. You can see the shag carpet, tan walls, and it's still even though I didn't do anything to the house constructurally, just painting, having the walls painted and bringing in different furniture. You're like, what room is that? It looks completely different. I love that because it was in this it was decorated for the seventies, which I get. But I'm glad they had the shag carpet because when we pulled the carpet up, all we've done so far is just vacuum.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So they covered up wood floors. I imagine, right, They love doing that in the seventies, they covered up.
Speaker 1: All those beautiful wooden floors.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yes, yes, and then the popcorn ceilings.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's always great too. Yeah, it's so funny. I live in a three hundred year old house and thankfu, yeah, it's an adventure, but thankfully it's part of like a historic preservation effort, so everything is still original inside. But I'm watching where I live because I live in New England, and I'm sure you see this too, you know, some of these.
Speaker 1: Old houses, especially lately.
Speaker 2: This happened back in the seventies where people were either gutting or tearing down Victorians by like like on a crazy level.
Speaker 1: And now here, at least.
Speaker 2: In New England, people are moving into these Victorians and they're just they're ripping out everything, painting them white, putting in these big, like open air modern kitchens.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, we're doing the same thing we did in the seventies.
Speaker 3: And it's like, you know, you know what's funny. You say that because I have my real estate license, and so right before I got on the call with you, I was down the street showing a house to my friends who want to see this house forever and it's for fail now and so we go in. It's I'm trying to think it's around the same time period as my house, so late eighteen hundreds. But you go in and it's all white and all brand new, and then I was like, that had a little bit of the exposed original brick, but that was it, and it made me kind of sad. Yeah, I think now that I get it, like, don't touch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just you know, I consider like someone like you and like me.
Speaker 1: We're like we're stewards for history at.
Speaker 2: This point, like right, you know, whenever you think of ghosts, like you are preserving that house and so that on its own is such a wonderful undertaking. So cheers to that, no matter what happens there on a ghost level.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That's funny also because I will say, like, you know, I can't obviously make the spirits appear. There are going to be quiet nights. But you know, people will write in the books downstairs if they experienced something, but a lot of people will write, oh it's more active if steps here, or it was quite until step showed up, And I'm like, that's not true. People, So I know that a lot of people ask me to stay, and I'm like, I just like me. They do what they want, when they want, how they want. Yeah, I don't ask questions.
Speaker 2: It's funny though we I'm sure you probably already do this, But like when I investigate a location, I always have the owner kind of introduce me so they know that like I'm supposed to be there, you know, because there is sometimes they do get this comfort level with someone who's associated with the property, either like an owner or an employee or someone who lives there, and until they kind of give them the go ahead, the ghosts, I feel like sometimes are like, well I don't care about these people, you know, So I.
Speaker 3: Have never thought about that, that is, I haven't because it's so it's when I start my tours, when people check in and if they haven't been in before, obviously I walk into the house, but we always go to we start around the main staircase before we go to the servant staircase, and so we're at the mainsrecase and it's ninety five percent of the time it's like we hear the footsteps coming around the landing, like who's here, who's here? So that makes sense, like maybe I should start doing that, because it's like they're coming around going who's here today, who's Yeah, Yeah, that's a great idea. I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it couldn't hurt to try it, you know, because that'll help. Like if I'm in a place and nothing's happening, I almost the almost the first thing I do is call the owner or call someone who's familiar with them and be like, can you come over here and talk to them for me?
Speaker 1: So that is so nice.
Speaker 3: And then there's me. I'm like, I'll sell you and it'll be a daycare center.
Speaker 1: I just oh, I love that. I'll sell you and you'll be a daycare center.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine the daycare center that moves in something?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people show up like you know what this was?
Speaker 1: Right? Like I love that?
Speaker 2: So okay, So how many so you say like this, you have this place for ghost tours and whatnot. And then so you have investigators coming in regularly and they get to stay the night and they get to investigate, and I'm sure you have ground rules right that, like they have to be respectful and all of that fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so that's great.
Speaker 2: So they come in and I mean, I love that there are locations out there. People always ask like, how do you get to investigate? How do you like, how do I get started? And I love a place like yours where it's like, yeah, you know, go support this loving business, but also like go get your feet wet, like this is the way you're in a controlled environment.
Speaker 1: Like I just love that.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course I have another question, though, what is it about Atchison? So I did the Sally House already this season weirdly, and when I found this place because I was kind of researching, like I'm like, what locations do I want to do? I didn't even realize they were in the same town until I started really digging in and I was like, oh my gosh, so what is it?
Speaker 1: What's going on there? Steph?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know. It's so weird because well, Levenworth is the next town over, and my friends and I we went to Levenworth yesterday and we're like, and there's a prison and there's just big old buildings and cooled. I'm like, so, who did the voting? What makes Atchison the most haunted town in Kansas? And that's and I don't know what makes it the most haunted. People say, like the limestone in the water. I know there's limestone in my basement. The Missouri River is right here, so maybe that's it. I honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think it's so interesting. And now it also seems like the town has kind of leaned into it. Is that correct, Like they have they control like the Sally House tours and everything, so like the local government is kind of they realize that that is bringing people to the town.
Speaker 1: Do they work with you regularly?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: They do. Oh, I just I love them. They're they're just like haunted Atchison has been. In the beginning, it was. It wasn't the easiest in the very beginning, just because the new person. And I don't think I don't know if people knew what I knew or didn't know what I was doing, or you know, stuff like that. And it's also a religious town. There's the college, and so just I try, you know, I just need not well yeah, I do need to be respectful, for I didn't want to be obviously disrespectful to like, not everyone enjoys ghost hunting, not everyone is a not agrees, but yeah, and I want agrees about ghost hunting. So I wanted to make sure the first couple of years, I was just it's still kind of quiet. I still don't go around saying, hey, look at me, look at me. I've had the house seven years and it still feels like I'm the new person out there because people still haven't heard about me, which has also been nice because everything's been word of mouth. So with that being said, the Chamber has been just backing me up. And there are other locations in Atchison. There's actually a new place that's going to start doing investigations too. It's the antique store downtown called back Road Atlas. So I mean they're embracing all of the haunted stuff and not just during Haunted Sea. They will help me out throughout the year since ghost are twenty four seven, not just you know October. Yeah, so they've been amazing. They've been amazing. Yeah, I also not it also doesn't hurt that like Veliska or Malvern two hours door to door and I am all for I'm one of those weird people that think everyone should have a participation trophy. I mean, I'm just that. So I just I will spread the word on other places too, because you know, if things are two hours away, like make a weekend of it, or like go to my house and the Sally House. You know, I just tell people don't just do what may do all or spend more than one day at a location, because you'll probably get more activity. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I love that you kind of do like a little haunted vacation and kind of make a few stops. And I mean I love that area in general. It's just you know, I think it's kind of off the beaten path and it's very interesting and you know, having traveled through it many times because I keep finding myself there even though I have not been to Atchison yet, it's just it's a really interesting, like kind of got a great small town feel. I love it there in the summer. I think it's fun and you're right, it's just like it's nice that they're kind of backing you and they see the value in that.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that you know, other people will not only just be here, they will like I would do a little boutique clothing for yes, right, and ask for their business cards to put in my break room because I just think when people are taking it three, there are still stores open, so go like it helps support Atchison too, So I think that that with the Chamber, I think they just work with everybody and so that's that makes it so nice that like if I want to have or there is a tour group coming there and they have nothing to do with Haunt stuff, but they're like Saint Patrick's Day and mister mcinte is very irish. Yeah, things like that. So like tour groups will come through for that and just for the history of their architecture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's great.
Speaker 3: It's nice that it's not just for Haunted, even though that's ninety nine percent of with the business.
Speaker 2: So okay, so if people want to on that, not if people want to visit, like what do they do? I'm guessing on social media you also probably post a lot of this evidence that you're getting too, right.
Speaker 3: I do, I post and lot some of it is. Lots of it actually is when I'm here by myself and things just seem to happen. I don't know if they do it. I think it's more active during the day. People ask all the time, you know, if it's more actually in the day or not. I think it's more active during the day, probably because you know, I'm not paying attention. So I will post things like that, like I'm at the dining room table and something is just whistled very loudly at me, and I'm like what, Which is so nice? With the cameras because I won't investigate by myself. I'm very brave, but that's with other people. So when I'm here alone, maybe they know that too, and so I will post things that happen when I'm by myself here. But also I have a thing on my website that there are cameras throughout the house and I've will change them up. But three people can watch cameras from their home for ten dollars a month for like three cameras, and so they can like investigate from home too. They don't have to even be here. Yeah, that's creaty is nice. That's what I do at the Paranormal Circle.
Speaker 1: I have cameras.
Speaker 2: I have them up in my attic on a bunch of haunted artifacts and stuff.
Speaker 1: So I do the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's like you can just you can investigate from the safety of your own home.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great, Okay, So if people want to visit what is like your website and everything how can they get in touch with you?
Speaker 1: What's the deal there?
Speaker 3: They can go to eighteen eighty nine Macinturvilla dot com and my phone numbers on there. They can text me, call me, send me a message, and there's a calendar on there. People can just book online. I book seven days a week. I only mark off I think two weeks around Christmas time, but other than that all year long.
Speaker 1: Well that's lovely.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really glad to finally have gotten to speak with you. I'm looking forward to hopefully visiting in the near future so I can see this for my I've got a tour Atchison and see all that that town has to offer. It's got quite the reputation, a lot yet amazing. Well, thank you so much for taking the time. And I really do appreciate it. You've been lovely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Today the Macinteer Villa feels frozen in time. It's still decorated with period furniture and it's on the National Register of Historic Places. It's also a home where history can come to life, perhaps literally, because to all appearances, the people from the villa's past have never left it behind. I'm Amy Bruney and This was Haunted Road. Haunted Road is a production of iHeartRadio and GRIMM and Miles from Air and Minky. Haunted Road is hosted and by me Amy Bruney, with additional research by Cassandra de Alba.
Speaker 1: This show is.
Speaker 2: Edited and produced by supervising producer Rima el Kali, with executive producers Aaron Menke, Trevor Young, and Matt Frederick. Learn more about this show over at Grimandmild dot com, and for more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.