Speaker 1: The Boys. What's up, pups, Wolves, Everybody tuning in for another episode of Busting with the Boys. That's your boy, Will Compton and Tarry Lawan. Taylor's not here right now. I'm out in Oakland, California. I do the weekly intros. Cats out the bag. I do the weekly intros every week. Yeah boy, update, boy got signed by the Black and Silver Oakland Raiders. Big win yesterday. Shout out to the boys. Man fucking it was awesome to be a part of. I'm out here in this grimy extended day right now. I'm just sitting here. Literally, I'm in my socks, in my underwear, just sitting lonely in this extended stay hotel. Love being out here. Number one, but number two, this hotel holy shit smells like cigarettes. Like it's just I mean, you smell weed everywhere. You smell cigarettes. You saw. I fucking saw a rat big enough. I named him Splinter. It's uh, it's a it's a time out here in this extended stay. But a couple of quick couple reminders, a couple updates. Number one, number fucking one, And I'm sorry to curse, but I gotta curse because I got a put emphasis on that. I need your guys' attention, specially Titans fans, especially the boys out the two Tone Blue that were for the two Tone Blue. But really everybody knew. These episodes are recorded ahead of time. These episodes were recorded ahead of time. And I just say the two Tone Blue. I just say Titans fans because people chirping like, hey, tell your boy, we're not even gonna go there. Take that far, wafted, wafted in their faces, wafted in people's faces, like we're not going there. These episodes are recorded ahead of time. Most of them were recorded in the summer, some in August, some where I'm doing one on ones, But these episodes are recorded ahead of time. With that being said, just know that we aren't podcasting in season. Yes I do the intros, but they're just you know, a few minutes. Sometimes they are able a little too long.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Don't give a shout out to our sponsors. Number one Regal Realty Group, Hunter Briley, MVP of Nashville. Everything from commercial to residential to investment. The dude throws are tailgates. He's he just got the bus. So guys, the bus is toed. So if when keep updated with us on at bus and WTB on our social medias, but we might I think we are having a tailgate this week. I'm gonna have to actually get with Hunter. But stay up today with us on our social media's, but our tailgates from here on now, you won't see the bus. The bus is in the shop. It's getting fixed because we're getting mobile. And when we get mobile, we're taking fucking over dudes. We're going coast to coast, probably not like a tour deal, but like to go get these pods. Bro Joe Rogan, if you happen to hear this, we're coming. I'm getting the bus out here. I'm getting the bus out here on the West coast. We're getting it out on the West Coast in the off season. But the bus is getting fixed right now. And shout out Hunter Bridley for hooking a lot of that shit up his personal six one five six three zero nine seven three five. Guys, Hunter Briley with Regal Realty Group Commercial anything in real estate, anything, investment, any anything, dude, hit him up, call or text him at that number six one five six three zero nine seven three five. His website is also Regal RG dot com and Shout out to Hunter for working with the boys over at Donaldson Record Service, Donaldson Towing Service six one five eight eight nine, six two eighteen. That's the that's our that's our guys that uh that tow the bus around for us. Shout out to them, They've been a huge help for us. And also our sponsor that's out there in the social media world with the hashtag don't give a shout out Anheuser Busch and Ajax Turner. Ajax is a local distributor for Anheuser Busch. Shout out those guys man for being a huge sponsor of the show. You'll you'll see out there hashtag don't give a that's that don't give a mentality When we're pubbing the Seltzers or we're pubbing these boning vives. Dude, those drinks that people might call soft and girly. You just have your for the boys head on. You just fucking look over with your drink man, and you just say, hey, don't give a because we don't give a shit. They taste good. Huge fan of the bone and V's with the little Mermaid on the can. I prefer the Mermaid on the can. It just to me that that makes you even harder, dude. But anyway, post your pictures hashtag don't give us so we can show you. We can put you in our YouTube channel, on our on our Busting with the Boys show on YouTube. We can show your stuff there, we can retweet you, we can share on story all that fun stuff. Speaking of YouTube channel, go to our YouTube channel, Busting with the Boys. We're trying to build that thing up. Subscribe, comment, do all the good fun stuff. And yeah, I'm keeping this short. We're getting into the intro.
Speaker 3: You might be hearing this little voice right here. You're thinking, I know that voice. That's my father. You're right, it's your dad. Hi, Dad of Nashville. There's about two million of you guys now, and I gotta be honest, I am exhausted from all that work given birth or helping give birth. I guess today we have a very special guests, a guy who is just loved in the city of Nashville. An amazing guy, amazing person, got the work ethic of a Clydesdale dude, gets after in every single way. Played in a couple of teams, same draft class as each other. Jordan Matthews, rev aplaus with the boy. Right now, there is birthday.
Speaker 1: We might have to get some you know, some spanking.
Speaker 2: WHOA All right.
Speaker 3: And the podcast is over. Here's the deal. Say we got one more puppy right here. Look at that. This is one of my babies.
Speaker 1: We brought one of the wolves on the bus.
Speaker 3: That's Haggard. All right, come on up, go up, Haggard, or do what you want. Buddy. He's uh, he's trained, but he's not acting. Hey, cuche, but.
Speaker 1: Anyway, cuche, cuche. We have Jordan Matthews. We're gonna talk all things where you know, we're obviously gonna do the whole bit. We're gonna have fun. We're gonna talk about my man's story. We're gonna talk about what he enjoys most, some of his adversity he's been through over the last couple of years because he was a baller back in Philly, back with back with Philly, being a baller. But somebody that I met at Vanderbilt, he's a warrior. But yeah, we're gonna have a lot of fun today, guys, a lot of fun. One thing we need you to do. Here's our call to action. All right, let's follow busting w t B on Instagram and Twitter. All right, now on YouTube you want to.
Speaker 2: I don't have I don't have Instagram.
Speaker 1: You don't Hey, that's okay, it's okay. This is for the this for the wolves.
Speaker 2: I got a wife.
Speaker 1: You hold that thought. We're gonna dive in, but I don't want to inst You want to see our episodes. You want to see our episodes and content form visually. Our YouTube is Busting with the Boys. That's on YouTube and Facebook. Go give us a like. And also, the big thing we want you guys to do, because we're gonna get We're gonna read the best reviews today that we've seen so far on our podcast platform is go to Apple Podcasts, Spotify, whatever platform you guys go to rate and review our podcast, and we want to shout you guys out. We want to read these reviews and help this bus going the bus tales at mobile. One thing we do have is a merch store, bustin WTB dot com. Again, that is busting w D No, I apologize, busting WTB dot com. You can find our merch there, find all the platforms to go on, find all the ways to subscribe and have fun and enjoy this ride. My pups, enjoy this ride. We got your we got National's dad, we got Jordan Matthews, and we're about to bring you guys some heat.
Speaker 2: Let's get it. I turned twenty seven a day. It's been a good day so far.
Speaker 4: I woke up, had breakfast one of my good friends, our players in college players cap out of a side. So I ate one of my line brothers for breakfast this morning. When it got a haircut, you gotta get fresh. I gotta fly back to go see the wifey in DC, so you know it's on and popping.
Speaker 2: Once I get back.
Speaker 1: A birthday cut.
Speaker 2: Gotta be fresh. I gotta have birthday cut.
Speaker 4: And then I went and had lunch, and so now I'm on the bus man. It's been a great morning so far.
Speaker 3: Just solid. I wish we actually did bring you a little president a little merch on you right there.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: You didn't even have to pay us for that, because it's your birthday. No guests they have to pay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like I've reached full on dad mode, where all you wear is free T shirts that you get from other people a little bit, so you know, I walked in with a Vanda, but one obviously free, and just got another one today, so I haven't bought a shirt in years.
Speaker 2: But you know, hey, I'm full dad mod so it's all good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll brought you to that, We'll brought you back home.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I actually had to come down for a quick I do a little couple of PRPs before the year starts, just to get some good stem cells back in some of the joints. This is for your knee, right, yeah, yeah, for the knee. So just you know, I've gotten to the point where I'm back to one hundred percent. But at the same time, I don't ever want to go back down that road those injuries and that rehab, Like, let me be proactive about the stuff from now on. So I got to come down meet with some of my dogs from VANDIT. But on Monday I was like, all right, I might as well kick you for the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: So I got to.
Speaker 4: Run to you guys yesterday and now I'm on the bus today. So I feel like I'm doing pretty good this time around.
Speaker 3: That's a quick turnaround. You got to do that prehab instead of doing that rehab and man standing on top of it dude, that's a big deal. Will's will is bigger than stuff you listened to Ben Greenfield.
Speaker 2: Ever, I've not listened to Ben Greenfield. You got to put me on.
Speaker 1: Just go to Ben Greenfield or I mean, we don't want to shout out his podot.
Speaker 3: We don't wan to shout out Ben Genfields podcast Grief. That's a great podcast.
Speaker 1: That's a great podcast. Has a lot a lot of good insight, a lot of good inside, a lot of good recovery stuff. He just kind of experiments on himself all the time and then provides all that data to everybody on what works, what doesn't, what he's really into. If you're an athlete, if you're an average joe, if you're in between athlete ever shoe which equals CrossFit? Right, Oh well, dude, it takes a lot of hard work to be this mediocre looking dude.
Speaker 3: The thing that's important is if you guys, if there's an athlete out there that thinks I want to know how to make my body better. Ben greed Fields is a great podcast. This is not the podcast that is going to get that's going to give you life hacks for those types of things. We're here to have fun times, gig a little bit and enjoy ourselves and meet some cool people. But as far as Puffy goes, hit me real quick on what PRP is, I know, but just hit the viewers what it is.
Speaker 2: So basically, play lit rich plasma.
Speaker 4: So whenever you want to get some healing into an area, obviously the biggest things are getting blood and oxygen in that area. That's how scabs heal, that's how bones come back together. And so there's a couple areas in the body, like tendons, especially the patul tendon, where oxygen and blood cells don't actually.
Speaker 2: Get to as efficiently.
Speaker 4: And so the best way to do is to take your own blood out of your arm and then put it back into your body. We all know that our body has self already made healing components. That's a beautiful thing about the human body. But it's just making it a lot easier to take your own blood, put it back into an area and to promote faster healing.
Speaker 2: So before the season, a lot of guys will do it.
Speaker 4: I know a couple of my boys and the Eagles, they still do it before the season, just to be proactive. And so, like I said, I had a couple of injuries after my third year, and it took me a while, a couple of surgeries really get back healthy. And that's kind of when I learned about taking that whole holistic approach, learned about my body, learning about recovery and so now, man, so it's a full on job.
Speaker 2: My wife also plays sports. She's a professional soccer player.
Speaker 4: She plays in DC and she also plays for the Jamaican national team, and so she's all on board with it too.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: So our whole family man has kind of gone on this holistic train and trying to figure out the best way to improve quality of life.
Speaker 2: So we really enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Now. You did a cocktail of PRP in stem so you said.
Speaker 2: I only did PRP just PRP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, familiar with stem cell too, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a million stimson. If I was recovering from an actual injury, I would definitely done stins. I've actually done stem cell before. From an in biblical court, I've done that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the embryotic or amniotic or embryonic stems.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to butcher the word, but I know for a fact it was from it was from a C section. They took it out, and then they actually put in my hamstring when I pulled my hamstring with the Patriots, and I came back in like.
Speaker 2: Four weeks, so I got it. I've got a two year old hamstring right now, but it's going well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Unless year I had a grade too. I tore my hamstring as well and did the same thing, had pr or stem cell put right into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was.
Speaker 1: Back, you know, in four weeks. Yeah. Yeah, it's crazy, man. That stuff is. That stuff really does work. What's up?
Speaker 3: Nothing? I just I remember when you had that hamstring issue. Another I remember. I remember talking to the head trainer and he's like, well.
Speaker 1: Trust me, we had the same conversation where you got knocked out.
Speaker 3: It's a video of it. There's literally a video of me sleeping on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know. And then they're like, man, he's really he's really milking that thing. Like a week after a week.
Speaker 3: I played played thirteen days later. That's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what's Taylor Bell? He jokes around with me. I don't know why he has been coming to work.
Speaker 2: You know, once you once you pay a guy, you know, hey, that's.
Speaker 1: But for people that for people that don't know, explain like what your injury was and what you've been overcoming the last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what it really was, honestly, we just overtime was wearing tear kind of think called ten and noses. So a lot of people are familiar with the word ten and I it's ten and knights. Basically just a little bit wearing down the tissue. But you can kind of bounce back from ten the knights with.
Speaker 2: A little bit of rest and recovery.
Speaker 4: I had reached the point where no amount of rest and recovery was going to help those fibers come back together, and so I had to actually God to do some other procedures to really get that thing, to get the knee back to where it was. And so that was the first thing. And so that kind of happened as I was leaving the Eagles. And so when I left the Eagles, I actually was already hurt and I was in need of some type of stuff.
Speaker 1: When you say leaving the Eagles, your contract was up, and no, I got I got traded. I got traded, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I got trade to.
Speaker 4: Buffalo, and you know, and like I said, I had had a good time in Buffalo. I like made one joke about Buffalo a long time, and I think people are still like really upset. I don't know if I'm going to go back, so I don't really care if they're all bad at me. But at the same time, though, I did enjoy myself there, But when I got when I got traded there, I was still I was already hurt and so I need I was in need of surgery. So I literally told my receivers coach, like, look, I could probably give you about ten good weeks, but I need to go get because I'm going to end up hitting free agency and I want to be healthy. So I played like ten games man, and I was just I was hurting the whole time.
Speaker 1: From the tendinoses, from the yes, from the tendinoses.
Speaker 4: Because I needed an actual procedure at this point. And so after the season or after those ten games, they put me on IR I went down to James Andrews in Florida.
Speaker 2: They did this thing called a ten X procedure.
Speaker 4: So what they did was they go in, they instract, they extracted the bad tissue, took bone marrow out of my back, spun that around those themselves and then injected to my knee and I actually was in a straight leg knee brace, and I also had an ankle injury. They took out my ostrigonum. It was a bone that also got fractured when before I left the Eagles. Yes, I was playing on two bad wheels the whole time I was in Buffalo. So that off season I had ankle surgery and basically a very I want to say knee surgery, but it was a pretty a pretty serious procedure. And so when I woke up from surgery, I had a right leg a right boot on, and a left leg knee brace, and I had to recover.
Speaker 1: And that's you entered free agency.
Speaker 2: That's how I entered free agency.
Speaker 1: What was your free agency process?
Speaker 4: Like, honestly, man, it was a trying time, man, you know because statistically when I left the Eagles, you know.
Speaker 1: I productive productive.
Speaker 4: I had more catches than anybody in Eagles history through the first three years. If you looked at guys like that came in with Devonte Adams, these guys who I have a ton of respect for, and numbers don't say the whole story, but we know for a fact there's guys that are getting paid strictly off numbers, correct you so, and I felt like I had the numbers to warrant a good contract, but all because of those injuries and going to Buffalo and having that down.
Speaker 2: Year and having to go get surgery. Literally, I didn't get calls.
Speaker 4: For the first four weeks of free agency, and then all of a sudden, Bill Belichick and the Patriots call, and so they called me, bring me on, and like you're not missing any time with them, like OTAs are pretty much like training camp. And so, man, it was a very trying time for my family.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: We had to definitely lean on a ton of faith. But I have a great wife, man, she supported me big time. And so I went to OTA's they signed me to a contract. I won't say the specific numbers, but the numbers basically were if I made ninety percent of the off season workouts that I would get a good amount of money. I probably got signed that because they didn't expect me to be able to get through every single workout. But man, you know, stay strong, kept getting kept getting better, and took that holistic approach that I told you about, made all the workouts, collected a little bit of cash and then once I got released from them after I pulled my hamstring a camp, I went back to the Eagles, went to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Man, I feel like I'm back on my feet. That's awesome, dude.
Speaker 1: And you were going on other visits besides aside from signing with the Patriots, Yes, because remember remember I went on my visit to the Titans.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And you were like, I forget, like why we were texting. I think I was just training in Nashville and we were trying to link up and train together, and you were like, yo, I got a visit coming up too. Yes, And we were both kind of excited about us both kind of playing. But you just never know what's going to happen when they go in and do all the medical stuff.
Speaker 4: You never know, you know, And honestly, I was at the point where I was like, okay, you know these teams know they still look at me like, you know, Okay. It was his identity. He's a pass catcher. He'll come out here, he'll run routes to work hard, he'll catch the ball. And as I get older, i'd be great for the young guys because I'm not look, I don't got as much skin in the game where it comes like I'm not gonna help that guy out, like I want to see everybody get paid. I'm more of a guy that wants to be cool with guys in the locker room too. But I got a call from like Green Bay, you know, obviously the Patriots, Titans and so, but they were all in league minimum. So I went a second round draft pick one point one million guaranteed, putting up these numbers, having one year that was down, and now here you go, We'll try and give you eight hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: And so that was kind of hard.
Speaker 4: But I was like, I'm gonna pick a team where I know I can work my butt off, get the best opportunity possibly get the ball, and then now you get a chance to increase your value. Went to the Patriots and do It's crazy. It's like Bill Beljak has like the mightiest touch. If you get I would tell every free agent, if the Patriots call you, like, undrafted free.
Speaker 2: Agent, go to the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, I'm saying that. Well, I'm just saying no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: I'm right though, I'm saying, but here's the only thing and I shout out to the Niners. I'm not just trying to you know what I'm saying, probably the pat I'm saying, this is why I saw happens.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 4: These guys will go to the Patriots, they might do terrible, but every other team is trying to steal guys from the Patriots. They're like, oh, if Bill Belichick thought he was good, he must be good.
Speaker 1: Will gave m a chance and he barely didn't make it. Maybe maybe he's.
Speaker 4: It's like, dude, watch your own film, and so honestly, I just that's what I That's what I realized.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Like I was at the Pagers for a little bit, had was doing strong in camp, had a good off season, was healthy, and then after I even pulled my hamstring, I got calls from some some from some contenders, like from some serious contenders. Still want to be on league minimum, but more calls than I got during the free agency. And then once the Eagles called, it was was like, no braind Like, I know these guys know the system, good friends with Carson, so let's go.
Speaker 3: What's that? What's that like when you go from being on a team leaving and coming back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say honestly, it's only it's great unless they win the Super Bowl the year you're gone, and then it sucks. Absolutely, I can't stand. I hope you guys have a ton of people listening right now. If you see me, I was not on the Super Bowl team, So please don't ask every time I tell somebody, Oh, I played for the Eagles for four years. Oh congression, shut up like I didn't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I was not there. It sucks.
Speaker 4: And then I was with the Patriots' past camp. I got released, pull my hamstring and they go in the Super Bowl, So you know, I don't know. I'm like, maybe I'm good for your team, but I don't know. But look, bottom line though, was I went back and I'm not going lie.
Speaker 2: It was great to be back on my homies.
Speaker 4: But there's still this cloud over your head at first, that like, if we don't win or we're not successful, it's going to be because I'm here. There's that thing in the back of your head because when I was gone, when I when they traded me, they were so successful, and so when you get back there's that feeling of like, man, do I live up.
Speaker 2: I wasn't with the Super Bowl team.
Speaker 1: There's a couple there's a couple of guys back you and Djack.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, d Jack and he's coming back this year and so, and I don't know how much he would feel that, you know, I guess I felt it a little bit more because I was literally in camp for the camp that they were going to go on to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I got traded for Ronald Darby.
Speaker 4: They need a corner, and so then when they go do that, and then I come back to pretty much the exact same team. Every bolly comes to you like if you drop that, that's why.
Speaker 3: You know they've said that to you.
Speaker 2: Oh you get all that.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's why I'm not really heavily on social media and stuff, but I was.
Speaker 2: There's some like I honestly, I felt like a lot of people.
Speaker 3: You're saying, you're saying people say that people not the teammates.
Speaker 2: No, the teammates were. The teammates were good people.
Speaker 3: That can definitely be like a deep dark hole you can get yourself in when when you start reading and seeing all the people that are like, oh, you suck, we should have done this with you or that with you, and we've all been in that certain situation. But it's definitely can be almost like a poison that leaks into your blame. Then it grows and it's sprouts and it's so much easier. I don't know. I keep social media because to me, it's like if you these people can say whatever they want. At the end of the day, I'm the one doing it right, you know what I'm saying exactly, And we trained it, and especially the Eagles, Like I played there my rookie year. You were there and y'all beat us. It was like we were two and fourteen that year. But like y'all have some ruthless ass fans. Oh, Like the Eagles are crazy things hard. You appreciate that, Yeah, you appreciate the hell out of that. But it's like you got to live and die by that swords sometimes, and it's okay. People people always expect the most that if you people never go to themselves and say, well, I didn't do this, I didn't do that. People always wanting to, hey, I point the finger at this guy, this is the reason why I'm not successful or my team's not doing this. And as soon as you learn that, it's like it's just smoke, Like there's a lot of keyboard warriors out there, and the more they get after it. If you have haters, then you're you're obviously doing something right.
Speaker 2: No question you, no question. Now you got to hit it on the head man.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, that was and that was just like literally that like kind of like first little hurdle.
Speaker 2: And then I will say, man, when I came down.
Speaker 4: To I score actually my first touchdown back in Nashville, because you know.
Speaker 3: Plays it plays on Vanderbilt's highlight reel of your guys's two NFL players. You guys have in the league, it's your highlights. It's you run that go or whatever it was. It was it last year.
Speaker 2: It was last year.
Speaker 3: Remember that. Remember the score of that game? I don't remember what.
Speaker 2: I don't remember either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys, will you look up the score of the nineteen Eagles versus a Titans game. Pulled that up quick, because I totally forgot was that a Who won that one?
Speaker 1: That was a close one? I think, you know.
Speaker 3: I actually the Eagles posted something the other day. Who's that d n You guys have Derek Barnett, Yes, yeah, And we we ran a play. We had quick play actually was like boom boom, and I like I slept on him a little bit and he pushed pulled me and got a sack on me that game. It was actually my second game back from that concussion. You would love to talk about and and like they they posted a picture of it on their on their Twitter, and I tweeted, like, I remember this, dude.
Speaker 2: You're You're so free on there, dude.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is like, Dude, we talked about this before were on the bus. It's so much easier just to be yourself. I'm not worried about anybody making fun of me, Like, no one's in fun of me more than me. You know, no one holds himself to a higher standard than I do. Right, so obviously if I give up a sack, like it's not going to be like, no, that never happened. It's like, well, yeah it should happen, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's like it's just fun. It's easierally fun of yourself because Will does a good job of this. He gets his ass in front of every joke people are going to make on him, got to get.
Speaker 1: Out of there.
Speaker 2: No, I love it.
Speaker 4: No, I've always told people like I take this approach now with everything, I either engage or evacuate.
Speaker 2: That's it. Like, so when it comes to social media, like I know who I'm wired.
Speaker 4: I'm a communicator, so words mean a lot to me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So if I know, like, okay, well you're really gonna put the score right.
Speaker 3: Twenty six, twenty three, you know what, Cory Davis had a touchdown did at the end, taught it?
Speaker 2: He did, We won.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm with the Niners now, so you know I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't really do very is sick.
Speaker 3: I love I love San Francisco.
Speaker 4: I love it man, Santa Clara's more. But it's awesome though.
Speaker 3: You you play with Sherman out there, he's great. He's a good dude.
Speaker 4: Really, he's a really good dude, very intelligent, and one thing that's not taking he loves his teammates.
Speaker 2: Man, he seems like that really does. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Great, He's like that out at the NFLPA meetings, Like he's always like chopping up with everybody, and he's like works hard to try and get stuff done and be heard and be talking and talk about issues and he's always on board with everybody. Anytime I've seen him he's been really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was with him. It was the year I think the year before he tore his achillites, and we were in Orlando together and I like, you know rich Sherman. Every one knows who Richard Truman is, and so like the whole legion of Boom thing, and I'm I'm watching this dude. We're hanging out the pool and we're talking a little bit, but his kids like getting in the deep end and not getting like going back and forth. This kid's like three or four, and he's like parenting his kid and like he's just being a good dad. And I took that away. I was like, man, this dude, like because all you see, like we were talking aboutside, like you just see people's like facades or like how they are on social media or like on the football field. This due's just being an awesome All weekend was with his family having a good time. He seems like an awesome dude. And then people think I get I get pissed at him because we had a little altercation when we played him a couple of years back and I got in his face. But he's because he hit Marcus late. He's but I still think He's an awesome guy, like he's a really good person.
Speaker 2: Great dude, Yeah, great dude. I can't say enough about him. A good team, good coach.
Speaker 3: Jimmy Garoppolo out there too. He was in our draft class. Most handsome dude in the league, beast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he brought up the people chirp him for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first day, first day, because he got it, because I'm not gonna, I can't come.
Speaker 1: We're talking about him being out there with that with that chick, with what I'm talking about with the porn star, with the porn star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, first day. Let me I get this point. You know, it's like it is what it is.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's like you're in public. Let's stay if you got caught, what.
Speaker 1: Did you ask him?
Speaker 2: You know why? Because I couldn't. I could not.
Speaker 4: I could not act like I was trying to have a genuine friend because look, dude, as a receiver, there's like somebody that you like just don't want to be all over. It's the quarterback because it's just like, you know, you want to be an organic friendship like me and Carson. I would say we had a good organic friendship because Carson was he was third string. When we first came to the Eagles with Sam, Bradford was a starter and it was Chase Daniel. He didn't become to start until Sam got traded. So I was cool with Carson, you know, the third string guy, like we expect him to play.
Speaker 2: He was just a really cool dude, great guy, and then he became the starter.
Speaker 4: But nobody would have ever questioned, like, Okay, he's just kicking it with cars because he wants the ball. Like I was hanging with this dude and he couldn't do nothing for me, you know, And that's how I kind of like do so with my quarterbacks, Like I don't want to be like politically correct.
Speaker 2: Hey, I don't care if this off.
Speaker 1: He just laughed, Jimmy, Jimmy, what's up? Man? Like, hey was up that point?
Speaker 3: Stars? Huh yeah, you know you watch your videos before you guys whatever, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: It was, but he was he honestly, he laughed it off. Man. He's a super super cool dude, cool with.
Speaker 4: Everybody in the locker room. Uh, but very very focused. You can you can tell he he still has a lot of that. He got a lot of suf from Tom and so he feels that he feels that weight, but actually like motivates him.
Speaker 2: So a lot of guys love him. I think he's have a really good year this year for us.
Speaker 1: You big fan of Shanahan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a he's cool bro.
Speaker 1: I only have to be around him in with the Skins for one or two years when he was like the quarterbacks coach and OC.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But how is he as a head guy? How's he's a head guy?
Speaker 4: I would probably say he seems like not the type of person to be phased by, like, oh, I'm the head coach now I have to He has a great staff of guys that he trusts. He knows the game of football. I will say, man, like my two receivers coaches are Wes Welker and Miles Austin. Like it takes a very secure head coach to be like, you know what, I'm gonna bring on these two ballers because I understand the dynamic of a receiver room.
Speaker 2: He's very cerebral.
Speaker 4: He understands like wide receivers, we react better to coaches that have that have done it and we and as receivers, our whole game is confidence. People say catch and the ball is you know eyes and hands, your confidence.
Speaker 2: If you aren't confident, you're not gonna catch anything.
Speaker 4: And so when we're watching film, you got Wes Welker number twenty two and catches all time. You got Miles Austin, David Kim Kardashian, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Obviously he had he was Miles like as bro.
Speaker 2: It was his house for like a good couple of years. So these dudes instill confidence.
Speaker 4: Like if I do something out in practice and Miles dass me up, that's like big bro.
Speaker 2: That's like your big bro, and you're twelve, like you're the man.
Speaker 4: And so like that's the type of dude I would say, like Shanahan, like he knows how to put people in the right positions to be their best selves and to just relax and play the game. And so that's why I really appreciate about him. And I know that he thinks deeper than the surface.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, man, that's good. That's good. That's saying, hey, hey, you got to listen to him. Bro, Like he dated Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 2: You have to got to dude, he's got some stories.
Speaker 3: Does he ever talk about it?
Speaker 2: I mean, he played me at the Eagles.
Speaker 4: So I know all like the stories, but I've told the guys like, we got to wait till like third week of camp, when it starts to get kind of tiring. You got to bring out those stories. Yeah, we got get for some juice for practice.
Speaker 1: Like that's funny. That is crazy. You played, you played with him, and now he's your coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was a big It was one of the big reasons why I ended up going to because, like you know, I'm big, guess, I'm big on relationships man, Like I love spending time with good people because currency that only provides so much happiness, you know, So I want to be around good people in good community.
Speaker 2: And so that's what I like about Myles.
Speaker 3: Definitely got to really get ahead on the shoulders.
Speaker 2: Man, got good people, man, good family.
Speaker 1: Currency only provides so much happiness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's you get Haggard, You get that. That's a good boy. Yeah that the puppies out here.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it, dude. That's awesome. You really like you really got like stuff taking care of you.
Speaker 4: Been married for so I've been married for two years now, like I said, going on three, Like I said, great, great wife. Uh we We actually went to Vanderbilt together, so I was a junior, she was a freshman. So I was like, okay, I need talked to her for any of other football players. Do you know I got to mark my territory. It's like Haggard And so basically we became really good friends though, And I think that was the best part about it. Was like she wasn't just going to be like all over me because I was a football player. So we developed a really good friendship. I ended up going to Philadelphia. She got drafted to the pro team in DC, And by that time I kind of was like I always knew I was going to be a family guy. Like my dad's been married with my mom for thirty one years. That's like, that's my DNA, Like that's what I know.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I always saw a man waking up, going to work early, coming home, eating at the dinner table, loving my mom, treating her right like my dad would get gifts from my mom and holidays, he'd be like, hey, guys, like do you think this is good?
Speaker 2: Like do you think she'll like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And sometimes she would hate it and take it back. He's be so dejected, but he's.
Speaker 4: Come back to that right, right, but you come back with that same energy the next holiday, like this is gonna knock her socks off. And so that was the type of effort I saw, and a guy like to treat, you know, treating this woman the right way. So that was kind of how I was brought up. And so when I met shanea man, she was, she was perfect. And when she got drafted to d C, I was like, man, this is this is nothing but fake.
Speaker 2: Man. I got to go make this thing happened. So I was.
Speaker 4: I was on that Amtrak baby up and down man going to her games, spending time Dayton. We started dating for about after about in about nine months, I proposed and I actually proposed her.
Speaker 2: We used to go eat this pub.
Speaker 1: Every single Day's a place on Vanderbilt campus.
Speaker 4: It's called the Pub, and uh it's a place that a lot of people eat on campus, like kind of like the cool spot, hip spot. We used to go there every Monday when we didn't have practice, and we would meet and have a little little dinner. I have wings, she had the case of dea, And uh, what I did was when the night I proposed or I got us a helicopter to go around Nashville.
Speaker 2: We landed flex Taylor, Taylor, Taylor, La.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll get that in a second. You took it helicopter, James Franklin. Let me get the guy, get the helicopter. It's my guy. It was his helicopter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's my boy.
Speaker 4: I love the death helicopter boom land on Vanderbilt football field.
Speaker 2: The old A D David Williams, rest in peace on my good Brothers.
Speaker 4: He actually just passed away the old ad mesas on the football field. It takes pictures of us and then he says, hey, I'm gonna drive you to the restaurant. You guys are going to We hop in his car. He's like, it's like the coolest uber black of all time. Like it's the ad of the school driving you to to to the restaurant. Or the restaurant's the pub. We walked to a pub. I got the whole thing rented out, and got the booth that we used to sit at, white tablecloth everything.
Speaker 1: I got the case of Dias, the hot wings, and.
Speaker 2: Then I proposed to it right there.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shoot, dude, that's a solid story story, sir killing it Will's writing notes down right now.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting here like gift on the way home.
Speaker 3: Bro, you got a gift car.
Speaker 2: But I tell people that, you know, right exactly it worked.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I tell people that though, and I say, like in the same breath through, like don't hear that story and think, Okay, here's this great No, it's because of the stuff that my dad instilled in me. It's because I got to see what he did with the small things. Now I've got these amazing resources and amazing relationships. I'm doing the same thing that he's doing on just what some people will call like a quote unquote larger scale. But it's the same thing in the same spirit. So yeah, man, just got I got a really blessed life. Got ten ten month old son named Josiah, great, great, great little kids, super super good child, done cry a lot man, easy on mom and dad, and we got a good support system my parents.
Speaker 2: Her parents are actually both married thirty one years. They got married in the same year, same year, bro, exactly. Man.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, I'm blessed. Man, I got nothing to complain about. Man, that's out. You gotta put together, man, that's alway do we go from here.
Speaker 3: The guy's perfect. No, that's not he was our next guy.
Speaker 1: You were mentioning it outside the bus twenty seven. You're getting older, you're you know, you know, as football players you talk about like you know your back nine right, What would you like to do after football? You know, I would say, Man, there's a couple of things I really do love.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously family is big for me, but man, I love Vanderbilt Love. I love the school.
Speaker 1: I love this day mister Vanderbilt. Huh, not to the public guy, but he you you internally you love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, in turn, because you got David Price is stiff competition, you know. J Cutler, like Jake, j is smooth man. A black of people think he's like an a hole, that dude. If I ever called Jay and I'm like, hey, I need you for a charity event, He's like, I'm there. He's played in my basketball playing in the back.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know Jake me to get on bus with the boys.
Speaker 4: He would do it, I think he would. He won't probably talk as much as I do, but he'd be here.
Speaker 2: He's a great dude, don't.
Speaker 3: Zach man Burger is yes, so Zach Zach Benberger's birthday is today as well. Really yeah, he just turned twenty eight.
Speaker 2: He's the king of Nashville too.
Speaker 3: He was a Key's the king of bat Rouge for sure, Slad bat Rouge. When he was an l s U dude, it was him, Jarvis O, Jeremy Hill, Jeremy Hill.
Speaker 2: They had honorary Bro. He's bro. He's undefeated and bro. He's it really is. He's got a crazy record that he used to do.
Speaker 3: We used to get after a ten roof and losers. But he's He's an unbelievable dude. I totally forgot what I was gonna but oh yeah. He he loved color like that was one of his favorite dudes. He loved the stoic, don't give a ship attitude.
Speaker 1: Like a cigaret.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh dude, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 3: There was a he was putting the Dolphins. It was like his last year, I guess I uh yeah. Tannehill, who was with the Titans now towards a c L and uh, he came they brought him on. He was retired, they came out. He gave it a retirement and he had a player where he landed up in the slought or something like that, and they told him not to move, and he literally didn't move the entire play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was he couldn't wait, like he cannot wait for that opportunity to do nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's like his like his deal. He's this is his thing. Like, Yeah, the guys seems like he doesn't give a ship, but he gives so many ship.
Speaker 2: People are so interested in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like they can't break past that barrier he has.
Speaker 3: We'll break it exactly, well, you guys that you guys will knock down to it was like the Berlin Wall, Dude, We'll take that thing down.
Speaker 1: Dude. You're experiencing the the the character of this bus. There's a train that goes by any time we're doing an episode. This is like the second one going on right now.
Speaker 3: This is you were in the middle of saying something. But I usually have a big thing about for those of you listening. If you hear a train outside, that's because we're by trains. That's how That's how it works, right it is the ac is on. I'm still sweating, but it's extremely hot here, but imagic. The is he wasn't on adversity. That's what we do on the bus.
Speaker 1: You know, you got to overcome it, got to overcome me adversity.
Speaker 3: But you're here, calm, cool, collect man. You're always keeping a chill.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 4: It's like I said, man, I got nothing to complain about. But like, you know, back to the point about the whole vanding thing. I love vanderbl football and not and just like you have a passion for health, wellness and recovery, Like I want people to feel good. And so you know, I come from a school where essentially you have to compete against the best and the brightest in the classroom and you have to compete in the SEC. So our kids at Vanderbilt have a unique challenge ahead of them, especially the athletes. It's like, dude, these guys, like if you go when I was playing there, we have less people on the football team because how many kids can go to Vanderbilt and walk onto a football team. Like think about it. You would get athletic kids that go to Alabama that can walk on and blend right in. So Alabama their football team is working with about one hundred and twenty seven people.
Speaker 2: My boys.
Speaker 4: A coach of Oregon, he went to an Alabama practice he said they had about thirteen or I think we're like thirteen to twenty receivers. So like, these guys are not taking a ton of pounding. We've got about ten. And so now you've got these guys taking a ton of reps and they've got to go to school and do a ton of papers and have class work, you know, out the wazoo. And so I'm like, man, I want to be that guy that could come in and kind of force issue to say, Okay, how are we doing. Like everybody talks about facilities, and I get it. Everybody talks about the esthetics advantage, but we need bigger facility. You went to Michigan, you guys have a two story weight room with a flash screen TV. If we try and compare with these exactly, if you guys, if we try to compee with you guys, we're going.
Speaker 1: To be on the rat race Nebraska.
Speaker 3: So Dobson, we talk about to Dobson all the time about this kind of stuff. Like the way your guys' class says was when I went to the University of Michigan, when you had to set up classes, I'd walk into a room and they'd be like, Hey, your classes is up. Just click here, yeah, click here, Okay, can see letter and you get to pre register like two weeks before. So sure you've sure got your classes. I never I never had to worry about setting an alarm and being like, hey, you gotta get this class. And then I made it, you know, or you didn't make it. And it's crazy that, like you guys got to go in work out six fifteen s forty five. Everyone's got to be done by like nine o'clock. They had classes and then and you're in arguably, very arguably the most competitive conference in the whole country is in the ten.
Speaker 1: I give up there.
Speaker 3: You got Alabama, you got Georgia, you got Florida, LSU, Auburn's got every three years, you know, Arkansas is there. And then so you got like schools that are incredible. And everyone says all the time, oh, these guys cheat or whatever. I don't know if that's true or not, but I know being at Vanderbilt, like you guys, you guys can't even move the needle for like, you know, the sliding scale, like their act numbers have to match and their GPS.
Speaker 4: It's just to get in that school, yes, And so that's what I'm saying like, if we're not going to if we can't waiver in some of those ethics, now say we got to get then we got to look at certain areas, like nutritionally, there's enough information about nutrition out they're in education.
Speaker 2: That we should be able to have.
Speaker 4: I feel like the Vanderbilt nutrition should be the best in the city of Nashville.
Speaker 2: Like the kitchen for these kids in the city of Nashville.
Speaker 4: I think our kitchen for our athletes should be the greatest because we know eating healthy and increases your ability to get stuff done in the classroom, It lowers the chance of injury, performance goes up everything. So it's like these are areas like instead of worrying about things that look good, let's worry about things that matter. Because I feel like most of the kids that come to Vanderbilt, you're really recruiting the parents like Alabama exactly, they're looking for quality. Like Vanderbilt recruited my parents. My mom was not going to let me go anywhere else once Vanderbilt called.
Speaker 2: Because they appealed to her.
Speaker 1: This is the school.
Speaker 4: You can get a great education, you'll have great connects, and you're going to play against the best in the brightce all right, done so, And I still come back and speak to recruits, and what happens is I end up answering more questions for the parents than the actual kids. If you're Alabama, you can walkup to a kid and say, you grew up in Alabama.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be the right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, it's pretty easy.
Speaker 3: Oh that you can be anywhere with Florida, Texas, Arizona, California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anywhere?
Speaker 1: Was that SEC schools?
Speaker 2: Eh, exactly.
Speaker 1: I've heard that. I've heard rumors they pay well, I heard them.
Speaker 3: I've heard that, dude, I heard that a bunch of stories.
Speaker 2: It's just right.
Speaker 1: I heard the rumor is there's like a fee. There's like twenty thirty forty fifty thousand dollars they can pay a recruit. If so, say you're say you're Alabama, can you want to give a recruit fifty thousand dollars a school outside of the state of Alabama. The gentleman's handshake is like Georgia can't come in and pay a dollar over fifty thousand, Like they can't. They can't outdo each other. If that, if that talent is in the state, so the kid grew up in Alabama. Only Alabama can set the bar. And these coaches are shoving them money or shoving whatever.
Speaker 2: That's crazy and that's.
Speaker 1: How they they all have like a gentleman's agreement on it.
Speaker 3: That pisses me off. Dude, I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's all. That's all, that's all a reach, that's all. You know, it's stuff I've birds sounded solid for sure.
Speaker 3: Who's the quarterback from Georgia that went to Detroit, Matt Stafford. I feel like they said, this is all word of mouth, this is not even a factual. Yeah right, yeah, the word the word I heard was like he had like five hundred thousand dollars sitting in his uh his mailbox outside of his house if if he was gonna stay, if he stayed, he get kept it. But then he had to be like the number one overall pick. He's like, yeah's way more money. It's just crazy, dude. It's crazy people do anything that their teams win all that stuff to have it at old miss, Like how do you get the number one receive of the number one tackle? The number one blah blah blah, like neverber one defensive end to Old Miss.
Speaker 1: Apparently that was stuff with the word. They went over that a little bit and those other schools like there were people way behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: They got and they got Laquantra Will and.
Speaker 3: They got Larry tunseel To. I Thinkry is from like Chicago or something like.
Speaker 1: That, and like so I think there's like a high four five star that Vanderbilt got over the last sh I think he was a BACKERDPS and Coach Topson was telling me about it. I asked that question, like, how do you get somebody like that over Bamas, the Bamas of the world, the SEC schools that come in. He was offered by everybody, and he was like, well, he comes from a Nigerian family, so when his parents come, like you recruit the family, you recruit the parents, but the parents from that kind of culture background, they and they strictly want education. Like that's where Vandy will win. So when you go when you talk about the whole quality over the what the picture looks like, You're never going to really be or have all these facilities that these other schools are going to have because Vanderbilt is so you know, it's hard to get into. Man, Yeah, you know, they can't throw loopholes in there like the other teams can, like, hey, we can get your kid in school. Like, no, the academics do not. It's not the same level of they don't perceive it the same. The academic side doesn't look at the football site and say, hey, we're going to do everything we can help you. They're like, no, we have a standard. These full players are recruit they better meet the standard. They're not getting in well.
Speaker 4: And I think Vanderbilt is the most representative of real life is too. Like when I went to Vanderbilt and I got on campus, nobody cared about who I was. Okay, when you go into the real world, nobody's gonna care about who you are. You got to go work your butt off, okay. And then even my senior year, like when people knew me, they still were like, Okay, what are you going to do next? You know, it wasn't like I had friends that went to Alabama the first day on campus fifty thousand Twitter followers and all a's and all your classes, Like, real life's not like that, yeah, you know, And so Vannerbil taught me a ton of that, you know. And I think but like I said, I really think the biggest thing is, you know, when you're recruiting these kids, especially in their when like I said, when we're recruiting their parents, I'm always saying, like we need to focus on the things that these kids can take with them, Like if you have a kid, facilitate a healthy lifestyle and understand recovery, understand his body, and then send them off with a good education, he can actually use that.
Speaker 2: You go to these schools and they're trying to sell you on a jersey.
Speaker 4: In the stadium, you can't take that with you, you know, or what's that jersey going to mean to you once you leave?
Speaker 3: You You can always play on the fact that these kids want to go to the NFL exactly. And and if you if you have a hard enough push, Hey you got the height, you got to this, you got to that, blah blah blah, you got the speed. But you can you can get kids to buy into that stuff meet Like like for me, I never had a I never had a plan B of like anything. When I got offered by Utah State going into my senior year, I was like, uh, like my coach on my assim, some guy Utah State guy like I transferred schools to play offensive line, and so I didn't have any offers my junior Usually you have your your office, you pretty much have like your you committed by your junior year. So I'm going into my senior year with zero offers and this Utah State guy comes up to me and say, hey, man, we'd be lucky to have you blah blah blah, like kind of like super casual, and he walked away and I kind was going to buy my business. My the head coach is like, hey, you're they offered you and I was like, I'm going to the NFL. And They're like, well no. I was like, no, no, no, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: The NFL's I'm believable, Utah State, Utah.
Speaker 3: State, the acts. But I say that because like, dude, you could like for me. That was my my thought. I was like, yo, I'm going to the NFL. That's insane, and like I now, it doesn't matter where I go, doesn't matter what I do. I walked in to school and I was like like, what do you want to do after college? And I was like, well, I'm going to the NFL. So it was myt like well, you know, just I'm general studies. I'm doing general studies and I was a two point But looking back in it, looking back in that whole thing was, Uh, if I could have done more in college, I would have. I would have.
Speaker 1: I would say, well, what we got going on here is that you dude, you disrespecting the bus right now?
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't respecting the bus now I was. I don't even know why that alarm is on. I have no idea why.
Speaker 3: I don't know why that alarm was on, but I gotta go. Nah, I'm here, Yeah, but I got to get out of here. I know we're wrapping it up in a little bit. Anyway, It's all good. But like, uh, I definitely think when you're seventeen years old, like you had, you have a great head and shot, you had a great home life. That is, you're super blessed to have all that stuff. But a lot of kids don't have that. A lot of football is their way out and everything.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: But I think also, I will say this though, the tides shifting a little bit because kids have more access to things they didn't know about before.
Speaker 2: Social media is changing a ton of.
Speaker 4: Stuff, Like kids are like really on their phones, like trying to figure out how to start like a business right now, to gain notoriety into game thing.
Speaker 2: Well, we're growing up.
Speaker 4: The only things we saw were TV actors and athletes and rock stars. So I think we were more inclined to think, if we're in corporate America, that's boring, and if we go to the pros or entertainment, that's fun.
Speaker 3: You know, you never thought once about like I'm going to have a you know, inser or a YouTube channel or any of this. Like you just kind of were like, what do you want to be a own a baseball player?
Speaker 4: And that was it exactly. And so I think there's more information out there. And I'm telling you, like being in being in Santa Clara has showed me why because think about Stanford exactly. Stanford's extremely successful on the West Coast right right. And the reason why is because education is actually like really uplifted in the West Coast like that, like being around tech and starting your own.
Speaker 2: Business deal that's a huge deal.
Speaker 4: So when kids get a scholarship from Stanford, that's like the golden ticket. Okay, now I can do both. I can start my podcast, I can start my business and shout out, and I can also go to the play against USC Organ. Well, we're still making that ground in Vanderbilt because I still feel like you're still recruiting AAST, like I said, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, do whatever. But at the same time, I think that that tide is going to start to shift, and I'm just saying, like, I think Vanderbilt's got to do our best to be as ahead of that it's possible, and I think we are doing that. But like I said, man, I feel like if we major in the things that truly matter, and it's going to be the things that matter to the parents when they come on campus, and the kids that will actually be able to come to Vanderbilt and actually like, really like the culture.
Speaker 2: And engage into it, I think we'll be just fine.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I think I think education you're in NFL locker rooms, guys are talking about money now.
Speaker 3: Guys outside a Definitely, the guys take a lot of pride in the businesses that they're in, exactly what they're investing in, stuff like that, and I think there's I mean, there's a double edged sword when it comes to social media because you have these kids that they'll just go on the latest trends, like kind of like you know, like growing up watching Jackass or Cky, like you'd watch us and maybe be like, please do not reperform these stunts all and be like I'm gonna do it anyway. This stuff like, well, now it's like you got these crazy kids out there doing like the next cool thing. First was the dab, then was this and that, and everyone's trying to repeat everything. Twelve year old white kids ruin everything, like they ruin every dance, but they butchered the whole thing they do that that this thing right here, yeah, aame, that's where you look.
Speaker 1: These little white kids are in stands doing the Fortnite dances.
Speaker 3: I think the thing. The coolest thing though, like like growing up in the nineties or the early two thousands compared to now, is you do have that outlet to say, like I could really be whatever I want and no one's gonna go, well, sell insurance. No one wants to. No one wants to sell insurance. And somebody's listening. Who sells insurance? You don't want to, you know what I'm saying, Like you everybody has a dream and at some point they were told that, well it's not realistic. You can't be an artist because well, artists only really make money when they're dead, you know what I'm saying. Then they all of a sudden get famous, start sells like it gives you opportunity, like you can display that and all it takes is one person to click retweet and then one of those people say, holies, that's actually pretty fun cool and may click retweet on that, and then you get dudes like you know, with millions of followers retweet that thing, and that that's easily blown up, and all of a sudden you have a business without.
Speaker 2: Even trying exactly it's it's it's huge.
Speaker 3: It opens it opens up a lot of gateways. I just really hope people use it as an opportunity instead of just an opportunity be like five minutes famous, Like, use it as an opportunity.
Speaker 2: To really span and grow, to.
Speaker 3: Create, expand grow and use it not to just look at girls hooking using their their bikinis on and top like that. Don't look at it, like, look at stuff that's getting expand your horizon of what do I like? What do I not like? Those those are the types of things that are really going to make like this generation that these millennials or whatever the hell we are, like, it's going to make us like take us into the atmosphere of you know, being your own person and being able to be a unique individual. That's that's that's something that starts to being that started to be celebrated as being unique, when before it was like, hey, just fall in line, right, you know, you be your suppressed. Yeah, you be at recess as a five year old, like going to pe or fitness whatever you called it, and you call the hair star. You have to stay at the next person's hair and march to the next place you're going. And now like people are more free express That's.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, bro, And think about that, like like everything you're saying, Like, when you're trying to do that and tap into something, you gotta go into a place where there's a ton of resources. Look how many resources are in Nashville. There's a ton. It's a large, large community here. I mean, look, you go a Tuscaloosa. If you don't get out balling, what you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Do in Tuscalusa?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 4: And also exactly and then even hearing you say this, you have a son or daughter, daughter, you have a two year old daughter.
Speaker 2: So let's say you have a son and later on, like there's.
Speaker 4: Stuff that you know about posts that you're gonna know about post football, that if somebody came to you from a school like Vanderbilt and says that, like, bro, you know the truth, your son's probably gonna have the ability to.
Speaker 2: Go out and be just as good as all these kids.
Speaker 4: These are schools, but he's gonna want that extra thing in his hand that's gonna help him post. We just got Kenyon Martin's son on the basketball team, and we got Scottie Pippen. I guarantee they got recruited because they both have dads that play in the pros that know there's more to basketball.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Crazy thing that you mentioned that and I really haven't thought about that until you just mentioned it is I never even thought about my kids playing sports. I just felt like, like, whatever they want to do, I got to figure out a way to connect with them in that way. Like that's that's that's my fear is, Like you know, if my kid is you know, wants to be an artist, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have an.
Speaker 3: Artistic bone in my pocket as far as like painting. I can't paint shit. My brother can paint, but like to be able to how do I go and how do I like have a relationship with him in that way? Because the only thing I'm used I've been playing sports since I was five years old, probably earlier than that, but like what I remember, you know what I'm saying, organized, And so it's like, how do you go? Like you said, you mean you might be on the background, I had about ten or fifteen years left in me, but I'm saying, like love when I am done, Like that's all I'm going to know is sports, right, And so I'm I'm trying to diversify myself now, doing new things, trying new stuff just to see if I like it. So when my kids are an old enough age, any kind of route they go, I know that I don't need to be overbearing, but I can at least figure out, like how do I relate to them in whatever way?
Speaker 4: And I think the thing too, though, that you speak to me and like you have obviously like the fact you have great work ethic, you're disciplined, and that you try new things. Those are characteristics that even if I said, Okay, I want to be an artist.
Speaker 2: If I work hard.
Speaker 4: I'm dedicating, I like to try new things, I'm going to be successful if I want to be a doctor, and I take that same approach. So I think one thing you definitely don't got to be nervous about is the principles and.
Speaker 2: The characters already there.
Speaker 4: So even if your child were to do something that you don't completely understand, I think those building blocks in that foundation, it's going to help them still be successful.
Speaker 2: Because, yeah, I worry about the same thing.
Speaker 4: Man, Like my wife's professional athlete, you know, so we have the son. Everybody's like, he's definitely going to.
Speaker 3: Be when you said I was a pro athlete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, that's what That's what everybody thinks exactly. And I would even say, personally, I'm inclined to be like, oh, he's definitely probably play sports two.
Speaker 2: But he has his little piano. He loves playing that piano.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: But but if.
Speaker 4: He wanted to do that, and like I said, I stopped playing piano when I was like twelve, there's like really nothing I can really give him that I would still say, Man, you know what, though, one thing I would say, there's a couple of things I definitely live by relationships. I believe the relationships more than anything more matter. If you're going to try and be successful, I believe you got to do more than what's required. Like, if you only do what's required, you're never going to be great. You know, if if Vanderbilt in Alabama work out an hour thirty minutes a day, we're gonna lose every single time. So you got to put in more time if you're gonna catch you hate Alabama, Yeah, yeah, I'm from there. You know, didn't get a letter, so it's all good. I'm gonna keep jabby. But yeah, so obviously do that. And then obviously I've always told people man like like like nobody cares, Like I'm gonna tell my son. I'm gonna tell my son when he gets older. Like if you want to have a pity party, understand this. Eighty percent of people don't care about your problems, and twenty percent are.
Speaker 2: Glad you have them, so you be better off.
Speaker 4: Like, whenever you're going through something, just to go ahead internalize it. You know, if you need, if you need to shed some tears, shed your tears, you need to get back to work. And so like those principles have nothing to do with strictly football, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Because so that those people are losing sleep exactly.
Speaker 1: You're you're the one going to ben thinking about what everybody's saying about you. They're saying whatever, and really they don't even care as much as you think that no one gives a about it, and they're they're sleeping just fine. So you're a slave in your own mind thinking that people care about you that kind of you know, that kind of magnifying glass exactly.
Speaker 4: So, so I'm like, yeah, you want to go do real estate. Take those same principles right, not caring about what people think, you know, caring about like as far as the relationships your own personal ones and your family, uh, communities that you actually stay in, and then also doing more than what's required, like do some overtime, be the first one in the building, don't be afraid to work hard and see how great you can be, and then let the chips fall where they may.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vanderbilt needs to do something with you. Dude, you're like a You're like a walking billboard for those boys. Do all of a job. What do you want you want to be? You want to be an a d h. You were talking about one of maybe be an a D.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I really I've got a lot of respect and love for Michael Turner, the new AD that just got hired. People know that had a really great, really good relationship with David Williams, the old a D. And so, you know, I kind of want to see from top. Malcolm's been nice enough to let me come and speak to him on a couple of occasions. He's gonna give me an opportunity next offseason to kind of just walk around and let him see, let me see from the top, like what sports administration looks like for him and for that type of career and stuff. What does it take, What kind of degree do you need to get? I have to go back to school.
Speaker 2: I just kind of want to just learn from that space.
Speaker 4: And then more so I think after that, just kind of figure out where I kind of fit in and I kind of want to go about my next career. By know, I wanted to be a Vanderbilt and I know I want to be in direct conjunction with the football team, like I love I love Vanderbilt football, and it's a really complex thing trying to be successful with them. So I'm like, man, that's kind of exactly what I want to do. My wife loves the city in Nashville. My in laws live in Georgia. Sty're like three hours from us, and my parents are from Hunsble with Alabama's they're like an hour thirty. So it's a perfect central location for us to spend time with family. So man, like, this is home. Man, we love it, love it to death.
Speaker 1: This podcast is going to be a resume for him, Oh easily. We're going to push this stuff to him. We're going to give you the content. We're gonna we're gonna make everybody aware. I would be just happy with a shirt, but I'll take it. Well, you got a shirt and it's your birthday, So happy birthday. Thanks for dreaking coming on, man, I know you got to get rolling somewhere. That's why that alarm went off at No even told me, you know, two o'clock. You had to be somewhere.
Speaker 4: So actually know when we originally set the call, I think it was gonna be at three. That two o'clock one wants to be like, hey, like wake up or you go whatever you got something to do in an hour?
Speaker 2: Like, so whatever you're doing.
Speaker 3: Stop organized like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but then you won't believe it because I was I was a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah you dude, No thanks for coming on, man,