Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. My name is Rob Lamb. Things are a little bit out of order this week, but it'll be back to order next week. This is going to be our look at nineteen thirty one's Dracula. Yes, be Dracula, Todd Browning, Bela Lagosi. This episode originally published one, twenty twenty five. Let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob.
Speaker 3: Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. And today on Weird House, we're tackling a classic. We're going to be talking about the nineteen thirty one Universal Pictures adaptation of Dracula, directed by Todd Browning, starring Bela Lagosi. Now, Rob, this was your pick for this week. I had always assumed if we talked about Dracula, it would happen in October. But I'm not complaining. Happy to talk about Dracula in January or whatever month it still is. Yeah, it's we're still January. So what's going on? How'd you get to Dracula?
Speaker 1: Well, this is how it went down. So, yeah, this is a film I had actually never seen before. You know, sometimes a film I think is so iconic, so genre defining, so all present in popular culture that it kind of fades into a personal obscurity. You know, you haven't seen it, but you kind of feel like you've seen it, or you know you're just overly familiar with its themes. It's cast its place in film history, and therefore, when it comes time to watch something, you're like, well, I just want to watch something fresh, or you want to watch something you really do know, and films like this can kind of fall through the cracks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's sort of interesting. I might talk more about this later. But something I find interesting about this Dracula is I've probably seen it at least five or six times, but I still forget things about it. And the reason is that there are so many different adaptations of Dracula. It becomes hard to keep straight which elements are from which version true?
Speaker 1: True? Yeah, what deviations are made, what is intensified and what is condensed and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I had this realization over the weekend. So my kid has really gotten into dungeons and dragons and has set their sight so not only dming a campaign for Friends, but dming Curse of strawed. For those of you who are unfamiliar, The Dark Lord stra of aon Zardovich is D and d's take on Dracula, essentially a dracula esque vampire lord character, created in the late nineteen seventies by Tracy and Laura Hickman and based in part on Bela Lugosi's iconic portrayal in nineteen thirty one's Dracula.
Speaker 3: I have no familiarity at all. Basically, all I know is that vampires are a big deal in D and D. You can confirm this that they're not like your standard you know, you're just staking them left and right kind of enemies that you might expect from some like horror video games or whatever. Like if you meet a vampire in D and D, this is like one of the most devastating and dangerous enemies you could possibly face.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, especially like a true vampire as opposed to just a vampire spawn. But ah, okay, yeah, any rate, I told you know, I'm supportive. I'm a supportive dad, So I'm like, okay, that sounds good. But one doesn't simply run Curse of straw without seeing at least one Dracula movie, and I think the most they'd seen was Bart Simpson's Dracula on Treehouse of Horror.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, which is a take on a lot of the jokes on that are tied into the Francis Ford Coppola adaptation from the nineties.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yes, yeah, And so you know, I was looking at my options, and I was considering the Copola one as well, because I'm like, all right, my wife's going to be out of town. It's just the two of us. We've got to watch a Dracula film. And then I started really thinking about It's like, you know, I haven't actually seen the nineteen thirty one Assic in full. You know, I've seen so many Dracula films over the years, and this one has just fallen through the cracks. So given that they enjoyed Son of Frankenstein back in October, I was like, well, it makes sense to watch another black and white horror classic. It's maybe not too scary. I mean, they can handle stranger things and aliens at this point, so I'm not too worried about that. But you know, some of these Dracula movies hit pretty hard. So yeah, we watched Dracula. For my own part, I feel like absolutely holds up stunning, atmospherically, creepy, absolutely rooted in Lugosi's mesmerizing performance, and it's pretty weird in its own right too. I'm also happy to report that my kid also really enjoyed the film, resulting in many a oh my whenever Dracula or Renfield made crazy or intense eyes. They told me after we were viewing that they half expected Dracula to creep out of the shadows in the house.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's what you want. I okay, let's see. I'm trying to search my feelings and know and find what I know to be true. Have I ever really been scared by the Universal Dracula.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I think maybe I'm just too hardened by horror movies that would come later. But I do love it, and I appreciate the craft of the horror in it, and I feel like I can see how it would be scary if I hadn't been so desensitized by all of the edgier horror movies that would come later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be clear, they're fine, they're almost thirteen. They were able to handle it, but I was. It did bring me much joy that they enjoyed it as much as they did, and they weren't bored with it or anything. And yeah, I don't think there's really a boring moment in this one. It flies right along, sometimes literally on the wings of a bat. So I don't really have an elevator picture this one, Joe, other than it's Dracula. This is the big one. This is a titan of not only cinema enlarge, but also horror cinema specifically.
Speaker 3: Dracula comes to the talkies fully licensed.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Let's see if we're able to. Let's go ahead and listen to just a little bit of the trailer audio here.
Speaker 3: I am Dracula.
Speaker 4: Dracula. The very mention of the name brings to mind things so evil, so fantastic, so degrading. You wonder if it isn't all a dream, a nightmare millions the original terrifying story of a maniac and a man who lived after death, lived on human blood, took the form of a vampire bat, and lured innocent girls to a fate truly worse than death.
Speaker 1: You done, he made me drink all right? Well, you might be wondering, well, Where can I watch nineteen thirty one's Dracula. Well, I watched it on the Universal Dracula Complete Legacy Collection Blu ray set. I rented this from Videodrome. I think you have the same addition, right, Joe.
Speaker 3: Uh No, I've got a slightly different thing. I've got the Universal Classic Monsters Essential Collection Blu ray set, which I highly recommend. It's got a lot of great extra I mean, all the films look beautiful. It's got a ton of great extras, documentaries and commentary tracks and all that comes with a nice little booklet. So yeah, I've enjoyed this set for years.
Speaker 1: All right, Right, I think we have some of the same extras and special features that shared, so definitely, you know, Universal Horror release.
Speaker 3: Here might just be a partial repackaging kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because the extras on this day and there's some great extras. They're a little bit older, but charming in ways that sometimes things from nineteen ninety nine are not. But there's a really good document short documentary called The Road to Dracula, and it's hosted by Carla Limley who lived nineteen oh nine through twenty fourteen. She was the niece of Universal founder Carl Limley and cousin of producer Carl Limley Junior.
Speaker 3: And she's in the movie.
Speaker 1: She is she has the first line of dialogue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's just riding in the carriage in the Borgo pass.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah. So it's really fun, and you know, you got some of the usual suspects of various film historians. Some will refer to Joe Dante of course, shows up to talk a little about horror films, and it's a lot of fun. So these Blu rays are great. But this is of course a very famous film. It's generally available for digital purchase in rental, and it's one one of those classics that you will also periodically get to see on the big screen, which is a treat.
Speaker 3: While we're on the subject of disc extras, I just wanted to say a couple of times I've watched this movie with a commentary track that's on the disc version I have by the film and horror historian David J. Skall. Some of the things, like probably a lot of the behind the scenes things I know about the movie I learned through Skall's commentary, So credit to him. That's a source of a lot of my just general information.
Speaker 1: Yes, Skall, who sadly passed away last year, is also an important part of the documentary shorts on the disc, and among his many books you'll find vas for Vampire and a to Z Guide to Everything Undead that was published in ninety six. I've already added a used copy of that to my cart I think I need that in my collection.
Speaker 3: They're all undead, Okay, trying to think what the X is?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this might be a pull. Yeah, all right, well let's talk about the connections here the people behind this film. I do have to note that, as usual, we can't cover everyone and a film this big. I feel like there's been so much written about it and explored about the picture. Every little part has probably been explored to some degree or another, and we just don't have time for all of that. So my apologies to anyone whose efforts and talent we left out here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also worth noting that this film is incredibly huge and important in Hollywood history, and we're not going to be able to explore all of this. This is not your complete history lesson on the universal monsters in Dracula. We can't do that today. We're not really qualified for that, but we're going to do what we can.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right. Starting at the top. The director is, of course Todd Browning, who ofd eighteen eighty through nineteen sixty two, American director who was quite successful during the silent era and by some estimates less sure of himself entering into the talky era. And that's something you'll pick up on with this film and its frequent use of silence and at times a kind of like stagy ritualistic framing that feels very you know, in keeping with this film's roots on the stage as a play, but also fitting for the silent era as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess we can talk more later about the different musical compositions that have been paired with the movie over the years, but one thing that will feel kind of unusual about it to a lot of modern audiences is the lack of music throughout the film. There are a couple of scenes with music, you know, with the credits and the old version you get the Swan Lake, and there's a scene that takes place at a symphony performance where there's music in the background. Because it's diegetic music, it's supposed to be part of the narrative. But most of the scenes it's just kind of silence and the characters talking, and some of the most dramatic scenes in the film, there's nothing at all to listen to. It's just it's utterly silent. Well like you know, the vampire creeps up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you almost it's almost unheard off when you compare it to modern films, like so many films are just non stop blaring music and sound effects and explosions. And it depends on the genre obviously, but yeah, it can be almost shocking how silent this picture is. But you're also you're not missing the cacophony either. It's also worth noting that films of this era were also released in silent film versions, in part for older theaters, but also for international markets since dubbing subtitles were not really all that establish yet. So you'll find versions of nineteen thirty one's Dracula that have the full like silent film dialogue set up, where you know, the inter titles. Yeah, yeah, oh, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like that would there would be so many there's a lot of dialogue in this movie, because generally talkies had more dialogue in them than silent films. Did I feel like that would extend the run time a lot, if you had to have an intertie for every line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they must have. I haven't seen it in full myself. I've just seen some clips. I'm not sure if a full version exists, but yeah, they would have to cut some stuff, right.
Speaker 3: I would think so. Well, I don't know who knows. I've never edited a talkie into a silent film, but yeah, I would think it would. It would end up running really long and they'd have to cut some stuff down.
Speaker 1: They should do that. When the new Nosferatu film that came out, they need to do a silent film cut of it. You know. People directors keep doing like black and white cuts of films. It's like, that's great, but let's see, let's see the silent Cut's see what that's like. Anyway, back to Todd Browning. Browning wrote and directed his first full length silent picture in nineteen seventeen, and found success with nineteen twenties The Virgin of Stambul. His first talkie was nineteen twenty nine, It's the Thirteenth Chair. That was a murder mystery that had Legosi in it. And so we'll come back to and Dracula of course, followed shortly after that. His other films include the notable lost film nineteen twenty sevens London After Midnight, nineteen thirty two's Free Weeks, nineteen thirty five's Mark of the Vampire in nineteen thirty six is The Devil Doll. His last film was nineteen thirty nine's Miracles for Sale, and he retired in nineteen forty two, with Hollywood trends and tastes drifting further away from his sensibilities at the time.
Speaker 3: When Browning was younger, he had some experience working with circus performers, I believe, and this sort of came out in an ongoing obsession that appears in many of his works. Certainly there in nineteen thirty two's Freaks, which is a ooh man. I haven't seen that movie in many years, but I'd be very interested to see what modern critics think about that as a retrospective. I mean, it's a very surprising film for the nineteen thirties in many ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was his famous for the One of Us song, right, yeah, yeah, it's kind of a chant. I guess it's a.
Speaker 3: Song Google gobble one of Us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right. Dracula if you're not aware. Original novel is by Brown Stoker, who lived eighteen forty seven through nineteen twelve, Irish author and theater critic, whose eighteen ninety seven novel was Seeming. You know that a lot has been written and discussed about where this novel arises, you know, in brown Stoker's life and mindset, but seems to have spun out of various accounts and experiences of disease in the world around him. And perhaps you know he was sick as a child. That sort of thing also folklore of Ireland as well as mainland Europe. And of course it's also worth noting that in the book there's a lot of use of phonographs. It's often crazy to realize how thoroughly modern the novel was at its release. If he had written it today, Mino would have been on TikTok i fee.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wasn't doctor Seward in the book doing like phonograph diaries or something? He was? Yes.
Speaker 1: Another detail that we often overlook I was reading about this is that the novel was only a moderate success at the time, and Merritt's only brief mention in Stoker's nineteen twelve obituary. It wasn't until the copyright battle over a little nineteen twenty two film titled Nosferatu stirred everything out. That's when Stoker's widow, Florence Balcombe, gave approval to Hamilton Dean for this stage adaptation of Dracula, And of course from that we get this film eventually, and all of this blossoms. Dracula's cinematic legacy in the novel truly becomes a popular classic.
Speaker 3: Now, wait a minute, did bram Stoker not himself adapt the novel to the stage. I thought there was at least one play version that he wrote, but I could be wrong. Well, folks, neither of us knew the answer for sure, so I just looked it up to find out. Yes, bram Stoker did create at least one version of the novel for the stage that apparently debuted before the novel was even released, or at least the same year. So he wrote the novel then made a stage adaptation, which debuted under the title Dracula or the Undead, and that was performed in May eighteen ninety seven, the same month that the novel was released. And according to an article that I just dug up about this. Apparently only two people came and showed up in the audience to watch it.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. So yeah, it can be a little surprising to realize that the popularity of the novel really rises alongside it sent the book cinematic history. And I think part of the sort of confusion that can occur, in my opinion anyway, is the fact that we often love Dracula and Frankenstein together. But Mary Shelley's book was published in eighteen eighteen. That's seventy nine years earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So another weird thing to think about is that when this movie was made, the movie we're talking about today, the Universe versa Dracula, the novel was only like thirty three or thirty four years old. Wow, Dracula feels like an ancient story to us. But it is the equivalent of making a movie today based on a novel that was originally published like in the early nineties. I looked up, like, what were the big novels on the bestseller lists in like nineteen ninety one, So it would be like today making an adaptation of the Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy, which that really puts it in a different perspective for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that man, that's mind blowing for sure. All right, now getting into the various adaptations here, So yes, we have the authorized initial stage adaptation of Dracula by Hamilton Dean, who lived eighteen seventy nine through nineteen fifty eight. He was a family friend. He was brom Stoker's widow's choice to make the official stage adaptation. Dean himself initially played Van Helsing and in nineteen twenty four play here became popular, but some revisions proved necessary before it could really make that move to Broadway in nineteen twenty seven. That's also when Bella Lagosi comes on board to play the Count.
Speaker 3: It's funny that there are so many different versions of Dracula before it even makes it to the movie that made it so famous, you know. So like you've got the original novel, you've got bram Stoker's stage adaptation, You've got multiple different other play versions of the play. You got the Hamilton Dean play. You've got at least a couple of versions you said that went through revisions going on to Broadway. And then also you've got No Speratu, the the FW Murnau movie, which we said, as we said, is an unofficial adaptation of the story making some changes. So it's like this novel that is not even thirty years old is getting all of these different rewrites in different versions before it even reaches its best known form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, Nosfaratu was not even the first adaptation. There was a nineteen twenty one film called Dracula's Death. It was a Hungarian silent film that apparently had very little to do with the actual plot of Dracula, but still there it was.
Speaker 3: But surely once we get the play version on Broadway starring Bella Lagosi, then that's exactly what we get in the film.
Speaker 1: Right, No, no, not no, probably not so the Broadway revision though. That's where John L. Balderston comes in, who lived eighteen eighty nine through nineteen fifty four, playwright and screenwriter, and he'd later work on the screenplays for Frankenstein and also in thirty one, thirty two Is the Mummy, thirty Five's Bride of Frankenstein, Mad Love, Dracula's Daughter, Gaslight and many.
Speaker 3: Others wrote a lot of my favorites of the era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as we've alluded to this already, and we'll keep mentioning this. The play is already a notable condensing of Dracula, which if you've ever read it, you already know that. You know, it's only like four hundred and something pages long. It's not a sprawling book in terms of length, but it can kind of feel sprawling at times, just the way that's it's written. Composed of these overlapping correspondences, diary entries and phonograph recordings. The beginning of the novel is arguably a lot more exciting than some of the latter stretches and so forth. And we should also note the other like major influential change that is made in the stage adaptation of Dracula. Here is our changes to what Dracula is. The way Dracula is presented as a creature and a character.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right. I mean, Dracula is the bad guy of the movie, but he is much more of the Bella Legosi. Dracula is much more charming and interesting than the Dracula of the novel, who is a filthy, repulsive demon. Just you know, there's not the Dracula in the book is just not lovable.
Speaker 1: He's a creature of dust. He's more in line with this, he's an grotesque, undead warrior king. And here this is the kind of Dracula that can stand shoulder to shoulder with London's elite later on and is greeted as an equal and is charming and erotic in ways that the original Dracula in the script in the novel is not. Yeah, all right. Garrett Fort has the screenplay credit who lived nineteen hundred and nineteen forty five, American screenwriter, playwright, and author. His credits include Frankenstein, Dracula's Daughter, the Devil Doll. Both of those Dracula's Daughter and Devil Doll were thirty six and nineteen forties, The Mark of Zaro, just to name a few.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we got to talk about Bayla now.
Speaker 1: Yes, bail Legosi plays Count Dracula, of course, who lived eighteen eighty two through nineteen fifty six. So we've discussed some films with iconic, even career defining performances here on Weird House before, but the case of Bella Legosi and Dracula, I feel like this is on an entirely different level, like even compared to things like Carlofs Frankenstein. It's because it's not only career defining its genre defining. He not only becomes Dracula in this picture, but defines what Dracula is for the next one hundred years and beyond anyone else. Playing Dracula in the shadow of this film has no choice but to either embrace Legosi's performance or to play against it, which is what you often see, but you absolutely cannot ignore it like this really sets the tone and sets the course for not only Dracula films, not only vampire films, but horror cinema in large.
Speaker 3: He brings a lot to the role that I think you wouldn't necessarily get about the character on the page. I don't know if Bela Legosi is the sexiest Dracula there has ever been, but he does bring a kind of interesting suaveness and attractiveness to the role. He brings a smile and a sense of humor to the character that I think was not really there previously, was certainly not there in the previous film adaptations. In like in nos Feratu, you know Max Shrek no attacking Max Shrek's performances count orlock there, but that's a totally different take on the character. Does not have the kind of charm and sense of humor that Belle Lagosi brings to this role that actually makes it much more sinister in those rare moments where in this movie you get flashes of anger and malice from Dracula, like in the moment where he slaps down the after they pulled the trick on him by opening the cigarette box and shining the mirror in his face, smacks it away, and you see him, you know, scowling at Van Helsing and the other men, and that moment is quite shocking. And it's because of the you know, the calmness and the coolness that Legosi brings to this character. He's kind of like it's he's in on a joke that only he gets, and the joke is that you will serve him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the sexiness of Dracula. It brings me back to what I said earlier about the about being you can be overly familiar with this picture and you can also just be more accustomed to stills from it, and maybe even stills of an older Legosi playing Count Dracula dressing up as Count Dracula. But I feel like you really have to see the full performance. You have to see him in motion. You have to hear him make every little enunciation to the Dracula dialogue, and it all adds up to what, especially for the time period, is like a very erotically charged performance. Like there is a hypnotic charisma to him, and there is I think a strong like pan sexual eroticism to him as he you know, because he doesn't see gender or anything. He sees blood. Doesn't matter if you're a if you're a male, female or what have you. Dracula is going to come for you.
Speaker 3: There Dracula's embrace. Yeah, I would say that that is implicit in the film. It's not explicit like it is in a lot of the later Dracula adaptations which make him overtly sexual and stuff. But it's a strong subtext here. And to emphasize again what we said earlier that like whatever sexual themes about Dracula are there in the novel or whatever, I do not think there's really much about him being potentially like alluring in any way. I mean, dude, whatever's there is just purely predatory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, again nineteen twenty two, nos Faratu not really sexy. And as we were discussing off Mic earlier twenty twenty four, nos Faratu maybe perhaps sexy. I haven't seen it yet, but if that Nosparatu is sexy, it's because that Nosparatu stands in the long shadow of Bella Lugosi's Dracula, because.
Speaker 3: That one is remixing different themes that have come through in all the different interpretations of Dracula over the years. Yes, I would argue that the new Robert Eggers knows Ferrautu, which I have seen and I greatly enjoyed. In fact, I was talking about this with Rachel and we were trying to say, like, is Dracula sexy in that? I think the goal, actually, the specific thing they were trying to accomplish was to go for maximally disgusting and revolting and sexy at the same time. It is kind of an oxymoron. They were trying to accomplish something that should be impossible to do. Is like polar opposite kind of qualities to the character. But I think they did a pretty good job.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well, I look forward to seeing it at some point here.
Speaker 3: And if you look up fan reception on the internet, definitely there are a lot of people who find this this rotting, decomposing plague corpse somewhat somewhat exciting for some reason, right, I'm not knocking to you know.
Speaker 1: Well, back to Legosi again, an immortal performance, no two ways about it. Now. We've talked about Lagosi twice on the show before, in our episodes on The Devil Bat and Son of Frankenstein. He's wonderful and Son of Frankenstein, and even in Devil of Bat, as with many of his other, like later lesser roles, he still finds a way to shine through it all. But here he is at the height of his powers, and it is a thing to behold, richly charismatic, frightening, erotic, and above all hypnotic. I was asking my kid about how this one stacked up to Son of Frankenstein, and they told me that Dracula was definitely the scarier of the two, and the scariest moments were Dracula's gaze. Oh he's looking right at the camera.
Speaker 3: But they do, and actually I meant to bring this up in the plot section. If you know anything about this shot they do. It's a recurring visual theme where we come in on Dracula's face. Maybe the camera is moving, zooming in on him, or it's just still on Dracula's face, but the most of the shot is dark and there's sort of a beam of light falling over his eyes. It's just the eyes and it's just there scowling with the eyes wide. I don't know if you knew why they selected that, like the beam on the eyes only, but I always thought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really adds to this like otherworldly hypnotizing power of the character. And Yeah, on top of that, Legosi's performance is just one thing that's pointed out by by some of the Dracula experts is that there are no small moments at all in it. Every annunciation, but every even like subtle movement feels very calculated and essential. Some have chalked this up to the possibility that Legosi memorized his parts phonetically, at least at the stage of his career, but I'm not sure where the truth falls and all of that at any rate, the finished product, the actual performance, like the way that he stresses words in each line, like it seems to bring across like cryptic meaning to things, like even some of the lines you think, you know, like like children of the Night, what music they make? You know, it's what music they make, you know, like the choices there are so absolutely cryptic, and it feels like perfectly the perfectly calculated way that this cold, immortal being would be, you know, cutting through to our fear and desire with every word and every movement.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more. I've really loved that. Yeah, the enunciation of the lines does add this mystery to the intended meaning of them, which lends itself well to something that is here in Legosi's performance. And actually I noticed in all three of the movies we've covered of his, two of them much better than the other one. I mean, I really enjoyed all three. But Son of frank and Dracula are much better movies than Devil Back. But in all three, the thing that's common is bell Leegosi has this way of delivering lines that he understands in a different way than the person he's talking to, you know, like double meaning, kind of sinister irony lines. There's a lot of that in Dracula. There's a lot of that. There was a lot of that in Son of Frankenstein, you know, and they're what's that part where you know they're talking about like bringing the creature back, healing him up, and the other you know, the son of Frank is like, well, I don't know if he's if he's well enough yet, and and Igor is like, well enough for me. Oh, And it's just he has a lot of that kind of thing, these dry, threatening, humorous little ironies in that are often expressed exquisitely in the way he inflects words in an unexpected way.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. As we discussed in the previous lego see episodes, he started out in Hungarian theater in silent films before making his way to Germany and finally America via New Orleans. He's made his way to New York. He became very active in the theater scene there. He did some silent films and eventually lands that lead role in the Broadway played Dracula twenty seven, ends up moving to la in twenty eight part of the tour, and this kicks off his Hollywood career. The next year, he appeared in Todd Browning's The Thirteenth Chair, and the Interesting thing is Bella was clearly the obvious choice for the film adaptation of the play. He'd been performing it to rave reviews, and yet he was not the first pick for the film. The producers considered the likes of Laon Cheney, who ended up dying before the film could be produced. Conrad Vitt, the Man who Laughs, was also considered, but he had moved back to Europe, and I think the idea is like he wasn't He didn't really, it wasn't as comfortable with English language, and so eventually they're like, Okay, well Legosi's there, will hire Legosi. And they got him somewhat on the cheap. It's a role that made him an undying legend, obviously, but as has been covered in many a biography, it also typecast him. It was the high point of a life and career that didn't always maintain an even trueject.
Speaker 3: But I want to be clear again, not his only great performance. I mean his turn as Igor and son of Frankenstein is fantastic, hilarious, is so good in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there are a number of other ones that are often cited. Is like strong Legosi performances, So we may have to come back to more Legosi in the future. All right, getting into the rest of the cast here, I'm gonna spend less time with the remainders here. But Helen Chandler plays Mina. She lived nineteen oh six through nineteen sixty five, American actress of stage and screen, best remembered for Dracula. David Manners plays Jonathan Harker. He lived nineteen one hundred through nineteen ninety eight, Canadian born leading man here, completely overshadowed by stronger character performances and also, as we'll discuss in a very reduced Jonathan Harker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just as shadowed by the script.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he's just he's overshadowed by yeah, other performances and also the writings. He's not sent to the castle in the he does not have the Keanu Reeves version of Jonathan Harker here.
Speaker 3: No, we need to talk about this later in the plot. But it's almost like, why is this character even in the story exactly?
Speaker 1: He's best remembered for his roles in Dracula nineteen thirty two is the Mummy and nineteen thirty four is the Black Cat.
Speaker 3: Now Rob again. I was surprised to find out that you'd never seen Dracula in its entirety before, but it caused me to remember back back to the first time I saw Dracula. Like you, I grew up, you know, knowing bits of it, seeing bits of it on TV and things like that, especially in clip show type things. But when I finally saw it in full, honestly, one of the things that made the biggest impression on me was Dwight Frye as Renfield.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, this is a just bonker's performance by the great Dwight fry lived eighteen ninety nine through nineteen forty three, American character actor of stage and screen with broad range, but be member for his outlandish horror roles and certainly typecast to those. After a while, he went on to play Fritz in thirty ones Frankenstein, Carl in thirty five's Bride of Frankenstein, and smaller often uncredited roles and subsequent Frankenstein films. He was also in nineteen thirty one's The Maltese Falcon.
Speaker 3: Renfield is really a highlight of the movie apart from Lagosi here because in multiple ways, like the way the character is written is both intentionally and unintentionally funny, the unintentional part being like the fourth time he escapes from the sanitarium and just wanders into a scene in the house, It's like, how does this guy keep getting out of his cell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's kind of like the Kramer of the picture, just randomly busts in whenever they need a little need a little Renfield action.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he slides in and he's got the crazy hair and he's like, oh, the Master is gonna give me blood this time. Oh. It's but also just he has the deranged monologues about needing lives and blood and wanting to eat spiders, and then also has kind of a you know, he's mostly a heel after being turned by the Count, but he has a face turn at one point that doesn't quite stick. It's yeah, it's just great. I love Dwight Fry here it thumbs up, thumbs up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if not for Legosi, he would be the most memorable performer in the piece. Yeah, totally all right. It's a Dracula movie. Who also have to have a Van helsing, you have to have a Dracula slayer, and that's Edward Van Sloan, who lived eighteen eighty two through nineteen sixty four, American character actor, here reprising the role that he played in the stage adaptation. This was only his second film, followed by the role of doctor Waldman in nineteen thirty one. S Frankenstein doctor Mueller in thirty two's The Mummy, and he played Professor van Helsing in nineteen thirty six is Dracula's daughter, So he.
Speaker 3: Was just always the professor who shows up too to know about the monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, probably a little bit of typecasting going on here as well, but it's another strong performance. I really like him in this part of it is the haircut in the glasses.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know if he's ever made as huge an impression on me, but he does certainly drive the scenes in the middle of the movie that would, I think otherwise be the weakest links in the film, basically, the investigation scenes where the heroes are trying to figure out what's going on. They're the scenes that either don't have Legosi or don't have a Dwight Fry in them yet until he bursts in later in the scene. Those would be the dullest parts. But he does pretty well there.
Speaker 1: He feels a little unhinged in a great way, you know, like one of the first people to believe that we're actually dealing with vampires. You know, it's probably somebody who lives their life a little bit on the edge.
Speaker 3: And later adaptations would generally take this principle a lot further, I'd say, compared to later Van Helsing portrayals, Edward Van Sloan is a pretty straight shooter. I mean, thinking about Anthony Hopkins and Copola's Dracula, where Van Helsing borderline insane thinking about Willem Dafoe in the in the New nos Ferratu. I mean they later really embraced the idea that the professor who knows how to fight evil is himself an extremely eccentric figure.
Speaker 1: All right. The other principal investigator here is, of course, doctor Seward, played by Herbert Bunston, who lived eighteen seventy four through nineteen thirty five, British actor best remembered for this film. He also had a supporting role in nineteen thirty as the Lady of Scandal in nineteen thirty three's The Monkeys Paw again somewhat reduced here, he's essentially in a lot of these older pictures, you really need like a supporting cast of two to three old white guy experts to help you fight your alien invasion or monster attacks. And this is what this guy is.
Speaker 3: His role in this movie is, I say, could it be true.
Speaker 1: All right, you can't have a Mina unless you have a Lucy. And that's where Francis Dad comes in. She lived nineteen ten through nineteen sixty eight, American actress, only active in the late twenties and early thirties. This was her most memorable role, but she has a supporting role in the nineteen thirty one Anime Wong film Daughter of the Dragon.
Speaker 3: Like many characters in this version, Lucy's role is greatly reduced from what it is in the novel. You know, a big part of the investigation in the middle of the novel is like the characters trying to figure out what the cause of Lucy's wasting disease is. You know, why is she losing blood? What's going on? In this movie? They just like acts all that. It's done in like ninety seconds of screen time.
Speaker 1: We of course have the brides. We'll talk more about the brides later, but Geraldine Devoric, Dorothy Tree, and Cornelia Thaw those are your brides. Let's see getting behind the scenes here a bit. Carl Fround, of course, did the cinematography, rather famous for his work on this picture and subsequent films. Lived eighteen ninety through nineteen sixty nine legendary Austrian Hungarian born cinematographer and director, two time Oscar winner, four time nominee. Much of the visual splendor of this film is often attributed to frend and many have have also said that he probably directed parts of it as well. He was reportedly like a very strong presence on the set sometimes when Browning wasn't. He went on to direct nineteen thirty two's The Money, as well as nineteen thirty five is Mad Love, which we talked about in one of, if not our first episodes, and he did several other pictures as well.
Speaker 3: Freud did the cinematography on most of the movies that from the nineteen thirties that I think look the best, Like a lot of the thirties movies that I see, I'm like, wow, this is gorgeous. It's like, oh, that was Carl Freud, so yeah, he in the movie does look great. There are typically like the scenes in it that look the best tend to be the ones that film historians say this is like a signature Carl Freun type shot. And I think this has led some people to speculate that for the less interesting cinematography in the movie that he was kind of he was kind of on leash, like he was not necessarily being allowed to do all he could do. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what some people have said.
Speaker 1: It's often pointed out that the also nineteen thirty one Mexican Dracula film that they shot at night on the same sets, is more technically proficient and maybe more daring. And for part of that is that apparently they could look back at what the day crew was doing and figure out how to one up it, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the English language production would shoot and then they would shoot afterwards, and so they could look at all the mistakes made in the earlier shoots and like figure out ways to correct them before they before they set up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spice things up sometimes and so forth. All right. Set decoration. Russell A Gossman who lived eighteen ninety two through nineteen sixty three. Oscar winner for his work on forty fourth Phantom of the Opera and sixty one Spartacus. He also worked on other major and minor universal horror films. Jack P. Pierce did the makeup eighteen eighty nine through nineteen sixty eight. Monster Makeup Master of the day who worked on like Frankenstein, the Man who Laughs, the Invisible Man, the Wolfman, and so many others. I guess on the surface it might seem like he had less to do here. There's not. There's no monster makeup on the level of Frankenstein in this picture, but clearly makeup is a part of bringing Count Dracula and the brides to their to undead life on the screen. And finally, Heinz Roemheld has a conductor musical arrangement credit of nineteen one through nineteen eighty five, but again this is a needle drop score, owing in part to budgetary issues. Again, sometimes there's no music at all, but music used in the picture includes Schaikowski Swan Lake, Opus twenty, Franz Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, and a selection from Wagner's The Meister Singer von Nunberg.
Speaker 3: I mainly associate Dracula with Swan Lake due to this movie, but I have actually seen it with the Philip Glass score that was done later. I don't know when, was that in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was ninety eight legendary Philip Glass composed. It was performed by the Kronos Quartet. I've never seen it, but I did listen to part of that while I was researching and writing up notes here, and it sounds quite good.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, mentioning Swan Lake. By the way, that is what plays over the opening credits, at least in the version I watched. And another thing I wanted to call attention to in the opening credits I don't recall if I've ever really noticed this before, is the stylized bat in the background of the title card here. You know, it works fine if you're not paying very close attention, but when you really look at it, this illustration does seem kind of odd. Looks like something that would be on like the Adam West Batman TV show. There's a whimsical comic bookiness to it. It does not look super gothic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it looks a little art deco, I guess. But it interesting that you would bring up Batman because Batman wouldn't be invented till nineteen thirty nine and first committed to the screen in forty three, So I don't know. It's not impossible that this had an influence on the Cape Crusader.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I can see that, But like, do you see that the shape of the ears on the head looks exactly like the Batman logo or not the logo like the costume.
Speaker 1: M it looks like Batman. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, speaking of bats, you know, there's so many things that the like in the Dracula movie tradition that are different from how they are in the book. When I was watching this, I genuinely could not remember if Dracula transforms into a bat in the book, and I had to look it up and oh, yeah, he definitely does. That's there in the novel. The book is in fact full of talk about bats. There's this whole section where they're trying to figure out what's happening to Lucy, and they talk about these bats in South America that swoop down from the trees and drink the blood of sailors as they sleep at night, leaving them without a single drop left in the morning. That's not true, but anyway, Yeah, so the book definitely is all about bats. That's originally there. But from here after the credits, we come on to the opening shot, and wow, what a strong opening shot. We start on this deep landscape shot with a tremendous sense of vertical reach. In the foreground, there is a horse drawn carriage. It's clattering over a dirt road toward the camera, and in the background we see the road is surrounded by gargantuan mountains, appearing as these shards of bare, unforested rock reaching up toward the clouds. And this made me think about how while there are a lot of there are lots of reasons for preferring the modern widescreen aspect ratio and film. This shot shows one cinematic benefit of the roughly one point two or one point three by one format, which is the ability to create this sense of towering height and depth, like a tiny subject in a desolate valley in the middle, encircled by these skyscrapers of rock.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we get this feeling a few different points at a few different points in the picture, So this is a great point. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Apparently this shot was accomplished by a kind of composite effect where you can bine a real, live moving photography shot of a carriage and road in the foreground and then the mountains in the background or a painted backdrop. I think I believe it was painted on a piece of glass that may actually have been done in the camera with the painted glass positioned over the camera lens. I'm not sure about that in this shot, but Skyll talks about that for at least some of these extra ear shots in the commentary track. But I'd also like to point out something about the feeling of these painted mountains, a kind of art history resonance. Actually, to me, these mountains resemble things you see in paintings from the Romantic movement of the late eighteenth early nineteenth century. So one very well known example if you want to look it up and see this kind of artistic sensibility in painting is A Wanderer above Sea and Fog from eighteen eighteen by Casper David Friedrich Robert. Have you seen this painting before?
Speaker 1: Oh? Not only have I seen it, I like a lot of liberal arts majors had this on my dormitory wall. Okay, n as a post or form, because I guess a lot of liberal arts majors probably see themselves like this. Sure, A lone figure standing atop a mysterious, you know, craggy environment above the mists, surveying everything. That's kind of like a gentleman scholar vibe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, but so how would you describe the like the the landscape here, it's it's like very active and emotional and dramatic, right you mentioned the crags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely very emotionally charged. There's a sense of wonder and possibility here, and it's maybe inverted to a certain extent, or at least there's a darker sense of wonder and possibility in Dracula. But yeah, similar vibes in a way, similar.
Speaker 3: Frequency exactly and realized through these like very jagged edged depictions of nature, you know, like the it's just like the rocks are infused with drama. A lot of Romantic landscape paintings, I think, have this feeling depicting natural objects like mountains in particular, mountains are very popular subject of you know, painters of this style from this era, but also of rocks, bodies of water, trees, et cetera. There was a convention at this time of kind of showing these things as overwhelming, almost magical in some way, epic, dramatic, bursting with irrepressible emotion. And I would say that modern genres of horror, especially Gothic horror, have strong roots in the nineteenth century European Romantic movements in the arts, in arts and literature. Dracula itself as a novel was not born of this period, as we've said, it came much later. It was in the eighteen nineties. But Frankenstein was from this period. Frankenstein is a Romantic novel in many ways, and if you go back and read Frankenstein you might be shocked how much mountains and epic landscapes play a role in the story. For example, when Victor first meets the creature again after their initial separation, it's while he is out hiking alone in the Alps. And so even though Dracula was not a novel from the Romantic period, I think Romantic artistic and literary conventions have influenced how it was later brought to life on film. You see this kind of in themes that want to come out in different versions of the telling of the vampire story, and in this kind of visual imagery of like the great Romantic emotional mountains. So these common Romantic literary tropes. Again, this is my take, and I'm sure i'm oversimplifying. You know, literature scholars might get mad at me, but this is what I think. I think you see a lot of like themes of the awe inspiring power of nature and instinct, a preference for emotion and passion over cold blooded reason, a kind of a sensibility of rebellion, a desire to rebel against authority and institutions, and themes of the ways in which personal experiences are kind of unique and precious and difficult to share or express, and beyond all that, just kind of a general attraction to mystery and amazement. I do not think that these themes are especially present in my reading of the novel Dracula, but I do think these themes really come out in movie adaptations of Dracula.
Speaker 1: Yes, and really even in the opening here in a sense, a stranger in a strange land. What's going to happen?
Speaker 3: So anyway, we're down with the people now in the carriage, and this is the part what I think this is Carla Limley, isn't it who's reading reading from like a travel book? Here there are like five or six people. One of them is Dwight Fry. They're in this carriage. Dwight Fry is dressed in a tidy suit and tie with a white fedora. And I was just thinking, dude, you're going to go in a full three piece suit to the Borgo Pass.
Speaker 1: It's just how you traveled back then.
Speaker 3: So the other woman in the carriage, she's reading from the travel book, and she says, among the rugged peaks that frowned down upon the Borgo Pass are found crumbling castles of a bygone age, and a little real world. Note this is a real mountain pass. The Borgo Pass exists. It's called some different today, but it is located in modern day Romania. At the time then was written, this was part of the region of Transylvania, which I believe at the time was part of Hungary. Bramstoker almost certainly never went there. He probably just found the name on a map and it sounded cool, And according to experts, like the way he describes it is not really how this place.
Speaker 1: Is right right. I've often heard it pointed out that there's really more Irish mythology than Eastern European mythology. I mean, there's a bit of it. The vampire does have Eastern European origins, but there's a lot of Irish mythology bound up in what bram Stoker is creating here.
Speaker 3: That's right. So Dwight Fry looks bored and annoyed. Everybody in the carriage is getting tossed around by the bumpy road, and he calls out to the driver to slow down, but another man in the carriage, a local with a mustache, leans over to sharply rebuke him, and he says, we must reach the inn before sundown. So ain't no slowing down this carriage. That is the wrong choice. We've got to go as fast as we can to get to shelter. Now why would it be to get there before sundown? Well, he says, it is well, Purgas night, the night of evil. That's April thirtieth, by the way, everyone, for those who don't celebrate, And then he goes on to shout nos Feratu before the woman in the carriage next to him. I think this must be his wife. She tries to cover up his mouth, but he will not be silent. He says, on this night, madame, the doors they are barred, and to the Virgin we pray. So the carriage does make it to the end before sundown, and we see, you know, the locals going about their business praying in Hungarian. And here we get a scene versions of which are in many adaptations of Dracula where the locals try to warn the visiting real estate agent about the evils that lurk at Castle Dracula. You know, No, it's a bad place, don't go there, and they eventually will usually give him some form of talismanic protection, usually a crucifix. Here it is a crucifix.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: One thing that makes this adaptation unlike both the novel and most later movie adaptations is the identity of the agent making the visit. Usually, the agent that comes here to Transylvania is one of our main young protagonists. It's Jonathan Harker, or, in the German adaptations like nos Feraratu, Thomas Hutter. In this version, the character is Wrenfield. Now, for those not familiar with the story, Harker is the young, handsome, ambitious fiance of Mina, who Mina will become, by the end of the story the ultimate target of Dracula's predations, Whereas Wrenfield in the novel is a former colleague of Harker's who I believe had also previously traveled to Transylvania, but that's not part of the narrative. It's the background. He had gone there to conduct business with Count Dracula. He ends up coming back having been driven mad, and he is turned into Dracula's loyal servant and familiar spins the rest of the story housed in doctor Seward's sanitarium near Carfax, eating flies and pining to serve his master. I do about right with that, Rob, Yes, that's correct. So in the novel, Harker, the character who's our real like protagonist, has to pick up where Renfield left off. So he goes to Dracula's castle and we go with him because we read his letters. He's going there to bring signing papers for the purchase of an estate in England, and we learn about Dracula first through Harker's letters here. Harker will later escape the castle and be reunited with Mina, and he is part of the posse of heroes who chase down Dracula at the end of the novel to free Mina from his curse. But this movie has made some executive editing decisions and they have decided instead to just give all of the action in Transylvania to Renfield, which is in a way an efficient storytelling choice that I can see ways in which that's a good edit. But I would also argue that leaves Jonathan Harker without a very good reason to be in the story and without much interesting to do. It's just kind of like Dracula is preying on Mina. Oh and Mina's got a fiance somewhere. What's his deal?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I mean I applaud the adaptation for doubling down on weird Renfield, and it makes for the intro to be I think, in a way more horrifying because it is going to meet it ended madness for him. He's not truly going to escape the count. But yeah, Harker is reduced to almost nothing in the picture.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to be mean to the actor or anything, but it's just he he has strong, like why is he here energy?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One note I wanted to make about Renfield and the actor Dwight Fry who plays him here. This is from David Skal's commentary Scout talks about how you know, really Dwight Fry had the makings of a dashing leading man of Hollywood. He had good looks, he had you know, good acting skills, like he could have been that type of character, that kind of leading player. But his role as Renfield and then his later role as the grave robbing assistant Fritz and James Wales. Frankenstein made it really hard for Fry to get these roles, to get the leading roles. He was kind of pigeonholed as the grinning lunatic who you catch rooting around in the hospital Morgue and they're just like it in a way. It was like a very successful acting turn that proved to be a curse for his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean you can make some comparisons to Lugosi there as well, but yeah, a shame. It's also shame that he died rather young heart attack or heart condition, and yeah, it's you know, what could we have gotten out of him had we had ten or twenty more years of him as an active actor. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so back to the scene that the locals try to warn Renfield away, but he insists that he has to meet the Count because he's made it. He's got an appointment with Count Dracula's carriage and they've got to meet at the Borgo Pass at midnight. It sounds like fun. By the way. One of the people who tries to warn him off is this innkeeper here who is the actor is great. I love this scene where he's he's like telling him all of the vampire lore. He's telling him, like, listen, no vampires are at the castle. You can't go there. Vampires drink blood, they sleep in coffins, they change into bats and wolves, they can be repelled by the cross. This is all the stuff you need to know. But it doesn't feel like the kind of tight lore dump that it is. Instead, it's like this innkeeper is ranting at me and I want him to stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I had to look this guy at. Michael Visarov, Russian born actor most mostly active in did parts in the thirties and forties.
Speaker 3: Anyway, after this, Renfield does take off in the carriage again to meet Dracula's carriage at the Borgo Pass at midnight, and we get another great dramatic landscape shot. This was once again by combining real photography and painting. It's the perilous rock bridge crossing to the vampire's castle. Now, before Renfield arrives, we actually get what I think is one of the best shots in the film, which is a dolly shot, a moving camera shot through the filthy catacombs and the bowels of Dracula's castle, and we're approaching this brood of coffins that lie nestled in the dust, and there's this great effect where mist is pouring eerily across the surface of the earth, and we get closer and closer to the coffin, and finally the lid creaks open and out comes a pale hand.
Speaker 1: This, I believe is one of a few shots that is pointed out as being clearly inspired by twenty two's Nosferatu.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, I don't think I would have made that connection, but that sounds right to me. Now. Interesting note, we don't see Draculu's face in this moment where the hand is coming out of the coffin. In fact, before we see his face, we see the face of one of his wives. So, despite some movie trivia, sources say the first on screen vampire in a talkie was not bela Lagosi, but one of his three demon brides. I'm almost certain this is the one played by Geraldine de Vorak. She beats him by a few seconds.
Speaker 1: However, she does not talkie herself.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Very quiet.
Speaker 3: Also in the scene possums, you know, yes, but Dracula's castles. It's full of possums. They're crawling around in the bones, they're getting up all in all the cracks and crevices. They've got a real possum issue.
Speaker 1: Oh man. When I started watching Dracula the other day with my kid, I wasn't fully considering it for this week's Weird House Cinema until the possums and the armadillos showed up, rooting around caskets and generally just infesting Dracula's castle. So the possums show up first, and I was like, okay, fair enough, possums look like big gross rats. I'll allow it. But then there are armadillas as well, armadillos as well. And to be clear, possums and armadillo's are both endemic to the Americas. They absolutely don't live in Transylvania or Eastern Europe. And yet at the same time, you know you have to acknowledge they do look creepy rooting around in a Gothic castle. So what's going on here? Well, the most obvious interpretations are, of course, this was shot in California and on a depression trunken budget, so you know, you use what you can get your hands on, and if you didn't know any better, these animals again look creepy in a Gothic castle setting. A deeper answer, however, seems to exist in attitudes concerning these two species, especially at the time I was reading Dale Hudson's Of Course there are werewolves and vampires from the American Quarterly twenty thirteen, and this author argues that the presence of these creatures serve to animalize Dracula himself. Additionally, the contagion aspects of Stoker's novel are perhaps summoned here in the presence of two creatures often associated with diseases possums. I look this up. They can carry a number of diseases that are transferable to humans, and Armatilla's, of course, can carry Furthermore, there are slash were apparently tall tales of Armadillo's digging up graves and eating corpses.
Speaker 3: What I've never heard that.
Speaker 1: I mean, they do root around, and I think the idea is that this led to, you know, tall tails of them digging up and eating corpses, and you know, there may be some accounts of them, you know, eating non insect meat, scavenging it if the availability is there. I mean, we've seen that in other animals, but it seems to be yeah, just you know, a myth and a legend. But yeah, despite all the other aspects of this adaptation of Dracula that becomes set in Stone, the inclusion of possums and Armadilla's doesn't seem to be like something that really stuck. I don't think cope Wi used this at all.
Speaker 3: I do not recall it. But anyway, so after that, we finally get to the iconic shot where we first see Bella Legosi in full standing tall in a black cloak with the tall collar, and the dark catacombs under the stone arches and the cobwebs, with the light curiously falling on his face in a way that makes him look unnaturally pale, and the camera closes in and it brings us closer and closer to him, and it's almost like he's floating through the air toward us as the camera zooms in. Just great, great shot. It's one of those all time epic movie introductions. It's like, when you see a guy for the first time like this, you'll never forget him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like he is floating towards us. We are being drawn towards him. Yeah, we are already captivated.
Speaker 3: We also see Dracula's brides for the first time in this scene. They're like creeping along through the catacombs, also under these arches, and very very unsettling as well. So the next scene is the one where Dracula picks up Rinfield at the Borgo Pass at midnight. Dracula is supposed to be in disguise as the coachman here in the novel. I think he doesn't want Harker to realize that he's doing everything himself and that he doesn't actually have any living servants inside his castle, so he you know, he's into guys. But this is not a good disguise.
Speaker 1: It's bel Legosi, okay, basically just as a scarf and a hat.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but yeah, maybe if you've never seen Belli Lagosi before, just like, okay, it's another guy. Renfield meets the carriage in a haunted, misty landscape filled with crooked trees, and then he gets aboard. The driver does not speak. At one point along the way, Renfield looks out the window and sees the team of horses being led by a bat in flight. Good. Good, little moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to add a note here about the you know, their rubber bats on yeah, on the strings essentially. We've seen so many flapping rubber bats on strings and various films, but here they do look really good. I mean there's never any doubt that you're watching an effect and not a real animal, but it looks really good. I absolute props.
Speaker 3: It's a rubber bat. But I like this rubber bat. Yeah, the rubber bat is better than the rubber spider that climbs the wall in a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's true. Yeah, they couldn't keep live spider. Try to use live spiders. There are some. There are some live crickets as well, but yeah, live spiders. That's got eaten up pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Okay, some notes about the scene where where Renfield arrives at the castle. It's great. You know, the door creaks open by itself. Again, most people have probably seen some kind of adaptation of Dracula, so you know this scene, Renfield cautiously steps into the main hall, which looks as if it had been deserted for centuries. Everything's covered in just ages worth of dust, giant spider webs. You got bats bobbing and cheapen outside the window. Uh are here, Here's where we meet the Armadillos for the first time. They're just crawling out of the furniture. Another beautiful set, once again a composite shot made by I think it's a real photograph, real photography of a stage, a sound stage made up set on the bottom, and then I think the painted editions are higher up in the frame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absolutely gorgeous. The depth is amazing and is nov in the Road to Dracula documentary. This look, this set, like this really sets the tone for the look of horror films, all the horror films that come afterwards, particularly gothic horror films to come. This cathedral of the macabre. It just yeah, you know what you're looking at here, and it just resonates through horror cinema and things adjacent to horror cinema, Like this is like your basic Scooby Doo haunted house as well. So it does get deluded to a certain extent, but here in its original form, I mean, it's still astounding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. I mean it is beautiful, and it's the mother of all movie haunted castles. So we get the introductory scene he Dracula comes down the stairs with the candelabra. He says, I am Dracula. He says to Renfield, I bid you welcome. Renfield says, is just kind of nervously stammering and you know, saying a bunch of stuff that's not necessary. And as they start to go up the stairs, we get the great moment where Count Dracula says, they hear wolves howling outside, and Dracula says, listen to them, chill the rain of the night. What music they make? I'm sorry if I didn't deliver that right, but it's it's I think Skull points out that actually, in a lot of later adaptations of the Dracula story, this line gets embellished. They start adding other words to it, where it's like what beautiful music they make or what sweet music they make? And the simplicity of what music they make is so much better. I like that this Dracula is understated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and again yeah, the cryptic nature of it and the fact that Lugosi makes every syllable count. And I think it was Joe Dante who made the point in the Road to Dracula that that Legosi also had a great ability to find every possible syllable in a word yes and bring it to full life.
Speaker 3: The scene also has the moment where Dracula is going up the stairs and he passes through the spider web without parting it, and then Renfield going through. You know, there's a spider web across the Dracula is already gone and he has to split the web and go through, which is eerie, but there are actually no special effects needed. It's just a no ominous cut. You see him walking up toward it and it cuts away and suddenly he's on the other side of it, but it's still intact. And then a rubber spider scuttles up the wall. So Renfield is brought up to a more hospitable room with a roaring fireplace and supper set out for him. This drag hospitality scene also appears in some form in most versions of the story. As usual, they discuss business here, you know, Dracula signs the lease on the property he's acquiring in England. He works out shipping arrangements. He explains that he's taking three boxes on the ship that he's chartered for England, which is leaving tomorrow evening. Wow, that's soon three boxes. I think he takes more boxes in the book, but three, I guess that. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: It seems like you could take four, right. I must be missing something here because he needs one for each bride and then himself. But maybe there's.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's a good point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Even then there were carry on lints and and so forth. So it was like, I have four buckses and they're like, well, we have to charge you for the fourth, when it's like I can make do with three.
Speaker 3: So Renfield in this scene, of course, you know, he gets a paper cut all those documents. That's a little dangerous. You're gonna you're gonna cut your fingers, and he does, and DrAk can't help himself. He starts creeping up to him, but then the sign of the cross, the crucifix given to him by the woman at the end, makes Dracula recoil m And around here is where we start getting these great close ups on Dracula's face with the light just falling over his eyes where he seems to be hypnotizing the person in front of him. Uh. The scene also has the great wine exchange, you know, where he offers wine to Renfield. He says, this is very old wine. I hope you will like it. And Renfield's like, oh, thank you. Aren't you you having any I never drink why.
Speaker 1: We know what he drinks.
Speaker 3: So after this, Dracula leaves Renfield for the evening, but he's not leaving for long. Renfield, when finally alone, looks moderately disconcerted. But then uh h. Immediately some trouble starts creeping in. So we see Dracula's three demon brides approaching the door through a through a misty hallway, and then Renfield goes to the window of his room, outside of which there are these crooked tree branches and it's a I don't know, just a very creepy kind of landscape out there again, like mists covering the ground. And then a bat there's a bat. Oh, bat comes to the window and it sort of floats in front of him. Renfield collapses on the floor as if you know, hypnotized into unconsciousness somehow by the bat. And then the brides creep into the room. They're advancing on Renfield's body. They're obviously they're going to drink his blood, but no, no, Renfield is not for them. Dracula himself comes back in through the window into the room, and he drives away his wives as if to say he is mine, and then the Count descends on Wrinfield's unconscious body and leans over him to take him in his arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great, Steveuince. And we never actually see him like bite into Renfield. Correct me if I'm wrong, But do we ever see fangs in nineteen thirty one Stracula at all?
Speaker 3: That's a very good point. I'm afraid to be wrong, but I think you never do. Yeah, I think you never see them. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: If you do see them there, it's not much as made out of it, And it almost seems like they couldn't show for things, you know, like that would be too much for thirty one, and therefore it's implied rather than shown. And I mean you don't miss them because your imagination takes you there already.
Speaker 3: That's right. So we get the standard interlude of a ship on route to England. A difference from most versions here is that because it's Wrinfield rather than Harker who went to the castle, Renfield is on the ship with Dracula. There's like there are two creeps on this journey, and he's a full on vampire thraw already. You know, he's crouching next to the to the vampire's coffin, saying, you will keep your promise when we get to London, won't you? Master? You will see that I get lives.
Speaker 1: I think for some reason, it's not the Demeter as well, like it venta Yeah, because they I guess, you know, they didn't give themselves enough time to make that particular ship, so they had to deal with the deal with another one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, uh so Dracula is like he never answers the question about whether he's gonna get lives, does he. He just gives him this withering look like no promises, kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've already talked about this. We're not going through all this again. Yeah, you get what you get. You don't pitch a fit.
Speaker 3: We've got lives at home. So of course Dracula, you know, he eats the crew along the way. When they arrived. The only sailors left on the ship are dead. There's one tied to the wheel, which we only see in silhouette. But here we start to get Dwight Fry's deranged high energy performance, like they throw open the doors down into the hold and Dwight Fry is just standing there at the bottom of the stairs, laughing maniacally with this unbelievably devilish grin. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Oh yes.
Speaker 3: We also get a newspaper clipping here to sort of fill us in on what's going on. It tells us that the soul survivor is a raving maniac, says quote. His craving to devour ants, flies, and other small living things to obtain their blood puzzles scientists. At present, he is under observation in doctor Seward's sanitarium near London. Now Here we also get a scene that say, in a lot of versions of this story, the sort of first taste of the fish out of water horror scenario, and it's Dracula walking the streets of modern London. The old curse has been taken out of the old world and inserted into the modern world. So he menacingly approaches a girl selling fla on the street corner and then slowly envelops her with his arms to drink her blood. And I wanted to take a moment to talk here about the staging of how Dracula descends upon a victim in this movie, it almost looks sort of awkward. Usually, it's clearly a deliberate choice to make him move like this. It is a stiff, extremely slow movement into the victim's space and around them. He did the same thing when he descended on Dwight Fry's unconscious body. He'll do the same thing later when we see him leaning down toward Mina's bed. It's just this slow, stiff, rigid kind of approach. I don't know exactly why they made that choice or what it means, but it's interesting and different, and I don't know, it looks very weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes me think of some of the later scenes where we see him using his full power of enthrallment over victims. You know, he doesn't have to lunge, he doesn't have to move quickly because he's already snared you with his eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point. That's a good comparison. I don't know, I'll have to think more about that anyway. Dracula makes his way to an auditorium in the city center where a symphony performance is taking place. He eventually makes his way to the box bearing our main good characters. These are Mina Seward and Lucy Weston, two young women close friends since childhood who will become the targets of Count Dracula's blood hunt in London. Jonathan Harker again with big whys he here now energy Mina's fiance. He's Mina's fiance. There he is. There's doctor Seward, who runs the sanitarium where Rinfield has been committed, which also just happens to be right next door to Carfax Abbey, the estate that Dracula has leased. In this version of the story, doctor Seward is Mina's father in the novel, that's not the case. I think he is. He's younger, and I believe he is one of Lucy's mini suitors. That's the whole thing. In the novel, She's got like five different guys who are trying to marry her.
Speaker 1: Unnecessary love triangle removed. I'm in favor love Pentagon, Yeah, Pentagon. So Dracula uses a ploy to talk himself into the sort of opera box here to meet these characters. I think one thing I was a little unclear on is like why he's trying to meet them, And I think the issue is that he knows Renfield, his vampire Thrall, has been committed to the sanitarium the Doctor Seward runs, and so he's trying to to like influence them related to that, or maybe because they're neighbors.
Speaker 3: Now, maybe that's why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their neighbors's neighborly.
Speaker 3: This is neighborly, that's exactly yes, So he introduces himself to the three younger Londoners. Doctor Seward takes a phone call, and you know, they bring up that he's moving into Carfax Abbey and Harker's like, oh, that's very old. Will it need repairs? And Dracula says, I shall do very little repairing.
Speaker 1: This is such a great everyone plays. The next time you move to a new town or new home, keep this one with you. When someone, when a neighbor like subtly brings up some sort of repair that might need to happen, be like, I shall do very little repair.
Speaker 3: Very good. Yeah. So, but he explains it's because he likes the way that the abbey reminds him of the old broken battlements of his castle in Transylvania. And then Lucy says, oh, you know, that reminds me of an old toast. I don't remember everything she says, but it ends with a line about dying, and then Dracula says, to die, to be really dead. That must be glorious.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so good. And there's more too. That's great because then Mina says, why Count Dracula, and that alone is excellent. I love that, Oh Dracula. But then then the Count says, they are far worse things awaiting men than death, and oh my god, this is another moment where I just love the ambiguity and the cryptic nature of it. Is he talking about is he talking about undeath? Or is it something else, like something so terrible that we morals haven't even conceived of it yet. It's only known to the vampires.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right. So in this scene, Dracula somewhat charms them. I clearly he becomes fixated on Lucy, and in a later scene at home between Mina and Lucy, we see that Lucy's kind of fixated on him, like they're making jokes about his accent, but Lucy talks about how she's fascinated by the Count.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just both kind of hanging out crushing on Dracula.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But then later that night, in Lucy's bedroom while she sleeps, there's a bat floating out the window. You don't want that. And then he appears in Legosi form in her room, standing over her bed, and once again he slowly descends and we cut away right as he's over her. I guess here's a good part in the in the plot to kind of take a step back and acknowledge the plot falls A follows a similar structure to most Stracks adaptations, and we can kind of note some interesting things and differences. So at this point in the story, usually Lucy takes ill as a result of having her blood drained by the vampire each night. In the book, this illness and the mystery as to its cause are protracted, but in this movie we just We're going to cut straight to her death and the autopsy, and doctor Seward and colleagues note that there are two marks on her neck, the same as with the other victims in London that have been found drained of blood. So from here doctor Seward recruits the aid of his mentor, doctor Van Helsing, who deduces that they may be dealing not with an ordinary illness, but with a vampire. No s Feratu, and then Lucy dies. In this version, she dies quite quickly and the vampire turns his attention to Mina, whom he visits in the Night for blood, eventually starting to turn her into a vampire herself. And the heroes in the end have to solve the mystery and realize that the only way they can save Mina is to destroy the vampire, which they do. So things to discuss within the structure. As the movie goes on, we got scenes of Rinfield at the sanitarium raving about how he wants to eat spiders. He's trying to upgrade from flies, like he's been eating flies, but he decides they're not good enough now he wants spiders. Of course, we meet doctor van Helsing when we meet him here. I think he's like doing some chemistry experiments right after the death of Lucy, and he's like, yep, tests came back. Knows Faratu, that's what we're dealing with. So they I don't know. They cut over what, from my memory is a huge section in the middle of the book to get from like Lucy starts falling sick to they figure out that a vampire is involved. That's a couple minutes in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's a quick test. But yeah, the van Helsing here, I guess maybe it's the chemistry set in the glasses kind of helps give him a slight mad scientist air for me, and I guess, like the van Helsing that I'm mostly familiar with is Peter Cushings, and Peter Cushing's Van Helsing, of course, is very prim and proper.
Speaker 3: Very Yeah. Yeah, this guy's weirder than Peter Cushing definitely. So the mystery in this is not whether it's a vampire. I mean, I guess some of the other like Seward and Harker take some convincing, but Van Helsing gets there immediately. So the mystery is not like what is hurting Lucy, but it is who is the vampire? Renfield is the initial subject, and this is plausible because Renfield keeps escaping the sanitarium. The scene where Van Helsing first meets Renfield is great, like he asks Renfield asked to be sent away from the sanitarium? Why? He says, because my cries at night might disturb Mina. They might give her bad dreams, which is this great combination of sweet and threatening. You can't tell which one it is, but Van Helsing drives Field mad with a sprig of wolf Spain. He's like, you, I have some of this, and how about little wolf Spain Renfield, and Renfield says, you know too much to live van Helsing, and this, of course confirms Van Helsing's suspicions some vamping is going on. So Dracula attacks Mina in the night, and after this happens, there's a haunting scene where she explains her experience the next morning. I thought this is a good monologue. She says, I heard dogs howling, and when the dream came, it seemed the whole room was filled with mist. It was so thick. I could just see the lamp by the bed, a tiny spark in the fog. And then I saw two red eyes glaring at me, and a white, livid face came down out of the mist. It came closer and closer. I felt its breath on my face, and then its lips.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: And we compare this with what we saw from the scene before, where Dracula is descending over her bed. And it's funny because Dracula is often very composed and calm and movie but he as he's leaning right over her. He makes this grimace that I don't think we've seen anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is like, this is the scene where you would see the things. I feel like if we were going to see things. But yeah, it's horrifying and he's coming right at us.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. And this scene leads to doctor van Helsing doing a throat check on Mina. Like he takes her scarf off, and what do you know, She's got some punctures on the neck. She was hiding them behind a scarf. Something kind of interesting there. The movie doesn't really draw a lot of attention to it, but why was Mina hiding the wounds? Anyway, This scene is suddenly interrupted by a visit from Count Dracula. Mina kind of perks up on Dracula's arrival. I remember she didn't seem to like him that much when they first met, but now she's kind of eager to talk to him and smiles in his presence. Apparently Dracula has been telling Mina grim tales about his home country and she likes that. Another interesting choice in this scene. I don't recall if this is in the novel or not. I don't think so. But Dracula knows of Van Helsing. It's like, oh, yes, we're familiar with your work, even in Transylvania.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Van Helsing probably publishes in the various occult journals, and you know, Dracula and his kind read up. They want to stay abreast of new findings in vampire sciences.
Speaker 3: Of course, yeah, you got to know your enemy, right, So read what van Helsing writes. Another great thing in the scene the mirror in the cigarette case. I love this part. So Van Helsing first notices that Dracula has no reflection in the mirrored lid of a cigarette case, and then he sets a trap for Dracula. Where before they're parting ways, he suddenly opens the case in front of him. And I love the way Legosi reacts to this trick. It's a you know, he reacts with surprise and alarm, and the slaps the case out of Van Helsing's hand onder the floor, steps back and glares at him. But then slowly the glare turns into a composed smile. Oh and also he turns into a wolf as he's running away across the lawn. So you know, as I said, Harker and Sewer takes some convincing by Van Helsing that they're definitely dealing with a vampire, but they're slowly getting there. This leads to another lore dump. We got a lore dump for Renfield earlier, but here's one from Van Helsing. It's like, you know, yeah, vampires have to drink blood to survive. They sleep in their native soil every day, which means he must have brought some soil with him from Transylvania. They're talking about this, but they get interrupted by maniacal laughter when Dwight Fry comes in again. Hilarious keeps escaping. He's here once more.
Speaker 1: They I guess they just have a trust policy, you know, yeah, the sanatorium, like stop leaving. You're not going to leave this time, right, Okay.
Speaker 3: I promise they're on the honor system. Yeah. But Renfield in this scene, this is the part I was talking about, where he does a face turn, like he explains to the heroes that Dracula is targeting Mina and he can't let Dracula take Mina. I guess maybe Renfield loves her or just feels protective of her in some way.
Speaker 1: I guess so.
Speaker 3: But in the scene, Dracula reappears in bat form and menaces Renfield, which makes him clam up and declare his loyalty wants more to the Master. And then suddenly everybody goes running because a maid calls out that Mina has been found dead. Oh no, which leads to this horrifying scene, another great Dwight Fry moment, where like the maid is left alone in the room with Dwight Fry and he's grinning maniacally and doing this horrible laughter, and she faints and then he's like crawling on the floor toward her body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he's an anaconda that is going to go to swallow her hole. It's super creepy.
Speaker 3: Love it. Yeah, But fortunately we find out that Mina is not dead, as she was near death, but they got there just in time. So some other stuff goes on. There's a side plot with Lucy being a vampire who's running around stealing children and stuff. But one thing that they do in this movie is there's no garlic for Mina. When they set a trap for Dracula and Mina's chambers with stuff to repel him. It's wolf Spain. It's just all wolf Spain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I can understand people being a little bit too familiar with garlic. And why would this scare away of vampires. Maybe we go with wolf Spain because it has a little more mistique to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can see that too. Now here's where we get to. There's another Renfield escape scene, of course, and then he is describing the appeal that Dracula made to him. He says, he came and stood below my window in the moonlight, and he promised me things, not in words, but by doing them. He's talking to Van Helsing. He says, by making them happen. A red mist spread over the lawn, coming on like a flame of fire. And then he parted it, and I could see that there were thousands of rats with their eyes blazing red like his, only smaller. Then he held up his hand and they all stopped, and I thought he seemed to be saying, rats, rats, rats, thousands, millions of them, all red blood, all these I will give you if you will obey me.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's the thing that Renfield. You know, some people when they make a deal with the devil, they want riches, somewhat, you know, power. He wants rats.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In that line, he promised me things, not in words, but by doing them, like oh, it's just perfect.
Speaker 3: But promised in return for what I think it's for. I believe Renfield sabotaged the protections that against Dracula that were in Mina's room, like he got rid of the wolf Spain or something. I don't know. Somehow Dracula got into Mina's room and I think Renfield was involved. And whoops, he has turned to Mina into a vampire now, and so this is going to accelerate us toward the conclusion. The only way to get Mina back is to destroy the vampire. Now, there's a scene where we have were like Harker is left alone with Mina here and she's creepy now right, Like she doesn't like the smell of wolf Spain. She's really interested in Harker's neck. She keeps staring at it. And Chandler is good in this, Like she puts on the creeps and she keeps him close.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: She's talking about like I love the fog. I love nights with the fog. And it's like you never you said in the past that you hated the night time in the fog, And she's like well, I like it now, But anyway, we're going on toward the conclusion. We know that we gotta have a final showdown where the heroes find Dracula's coffins and Carfax Abbey and drive the steak into him. Before that, one one great moment as we get the sort of the death of w Renfield, like Dracula is taking Mina back to his lair and he confronts w Renfield on this long, creepy staircase and Renfield says, no, please don't kill me, master, I can't die with all those lives on my conscience. And Dracula just I think, breaks his neck and throws him down the staircase and Renfield tumbles like a doll.
Speaker 1: Great saint, Great Saint again. Like this said, the set is amazing that there's real tension in minutes there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's wonderful. And then of course we get the final staking, the final staking of Dracula in his coffin, and Mina is rescued from from her demonic fate and reunited with John. So there is a happy ending. But like many adaptations of Dracula, I thought we would mention this the final staking of Dracula in his coffin has always felt a bit anti climactic. You know, in this case, it's not even done by the young hero who's to be reunited with his love. Is done by Van helsing Uh. And I don't know, it's like it happens off screen. You just hear Dracula yell and then you know it's kind of a hammering and a yelling and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like what happens to the villain. Well, we hunted him down and killed him in his sleep, like it's you know, it's it doesn't feel as heroic. I still love it, but but you know, it makes you in a way. Maybe it's the thing that make people love Dracula so much though, because like a lot of these universal horror films, we identify with the monster so much, and subsequent generations identify with the monster, you know, the creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein's Monster, and Dracula, like, we feel a certain amount of sympathy for him at the end because he is this outsider character who cannot quite make a life for himself in this new place, and then he's hunted down and killed by the local inhabitants, Like, yes, they were eradicating because he's a bloodsucking demon, but still feel you feel for him in a way because he is killed in his sleep.
Speaker 3: I absolutely see what you're saying. And of course Bella Lagosi makes the character more interesting and fun and likable than he would be otherwise. I still think the universal Dracula in this movie is a less sympathetathetic character than the other monster. As you mentioned, he's less sympathetic than Frankenstein's creature certainly. I would also say less sympathetic than the creature from Black Lagoon who's just hanging out at home. People go to where he is and bother him. Yeah, uh, and certainly less sympathetic than some Dracula adaptations that would come later. That it make him a more explicitly like, tragic, wronged and romantic figure. I mean, in this movie, there's no mistaken he's the bad guy. Like he yes, he's going out of his way to hurt other people.
Speaker 1: And I think that's ultimately the way I like my I mean, I like some romantic Draculas, and Gary Oldman's Dracula is terrific. Yeah, and that in Coppola's version, and you know that plays up the tragic aspects of the character. But you know, I love it when when you have like a Christopher Lee Dracula or the bell Legosti Dracula that is that is more just absolutely evil, or even the Dracula in Blacula that we previously talked about in the show, where that is a really evil Dracula.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, you're talking about Dracula himself, not not the not Mama Walde.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, yeah, the racist Dracula from the film.
Speaker 3: Evil racist Dracula, who's like I I love drinking blood and I approve.
Speaker 1: Of the slave trade. Yes, that Dracula.
Speaker 3: But anyway, coming back to this thing about the anti climactic ending of staking the Dracula in his coffin, I feel like this is actually a change from the nineteen twenty two nos Feratu that was like a good a good change to you know, to invert the ending where instead of attacking the vampire in his sleep, you force him to stay out too late. That is more like the vampire is undone or is destroyed by being trapped by his own greed and violence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Anyway, that's the universal Dracula.
Speaker 1: Love it absolutely. I mean, it's a classic. It's an icon for a reason. And if you haven't seen it, if you haven't seen it in a long time, it's well worth looking up. I mean, maybe save it for Halloween, but you know why deprive yourself. Go ahead and watch it now. All right, We're going to go ahead and close the book on nineteen thirty one's Dracula. Just a reminder that Stuffed to Bow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Dracula has come up in a number of them. He even came up in our episodes on Dust from last year. But for the most part, we don't talk about Dracula in every Stuff to Blow Your Mind episode, but he does come up generally, though. We set aside most serious concerns on Fridays when we have a Weird House Cinema episode and we just talk about a nice weird movie. If you want to keep up with the various weird movies. So we've discussed on Weird House Cinema. We have an account on a letterboxed that's Weird House. You can find us there, and we have a list of all the films that we've covered so far, and sometimes there's a peek ahead at what comes next.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.