Speaker 1: Lots to Say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: We got lots to say.
Speaker 3: We got lost, Just say.
Speaker 4: We're better here and we hope you say because we got lost, Just say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got lost.
Speaker 6: Just say.
Speaker 5: Now, here's Bobby that question because OTA's are happening now and I just listen. I didn't play at the level you did, but OTAs for me in high school would have been two days back when they could really grind, yeah, and everybody would just be eating banana, isn't throwing.
Speaker 6: Out Yeah, it's the The world of OTAs has changed so dramatically since I was in OTAs because there was a lot more physicality to it. And then when the new CBA happened, they put so many different restrictions in their phases. Right there, phase one where you can only be in the building for four hours you're literally working out and meeting with your coaches. And then as soon as that four hours you have to be out of the building. You can't go on the field, can't do anything. Then when you get to phase two, it's like on the field stuff where you get the practice for up to an hour. You have workouts and some meetings, so it's a little bit more of an extended time. But then OTA's actual starts and you're in there and it's more of a full day of just a prep work of practice, and I think you have up to fifteen OTAs is what it normally is, and so that's when it actually becomes more football oriented, where it's team sessions. They even will have like these drills. We call it nine on seven and it's run fit drills for defense and offense. But you're in no pads. You're just in helmets, and I think a lot of the guys, particularly in the interior part of the offense and defensive line, they hate it because you don't really have any pads on your shoulder, so but you still have the ability to get hit with a helmet on your shoulder, and guys are going full blast, and there's some young guys that are trying to go out there and prove a point.
Speaker 3: I think I's trying to make the team.
Speaker 6: Trying to make the team right. You always have those Johnny tryhards or are just guys that bring a different level of intensity. So you've got to bring it each and every day. But it's really when you start to set the fundamentals for playing the game of football. The unfortunate part is you start to see those fundamentals go down now in my belief, because dbs aren't allowed to press in the offseasons. That's one of the rules. So they actually have guidelines to how you can play the game of football in the physicality of it.
Speaker 5: So, okay, a couple of things. One is that though, to keep people from getting hurt one percent. Ok So, as much as we don't see a team round into shape maybe until week six or seven when it used to be maybe two or three, because they took preseason a little more serious there were more games.
Speaker 3: All that though, is to keep players healthier longer.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what the whole premise of what the CBA did was to help the longevity of these guys in their career and try to take away some of those injuries that were happening in the offseason. And so it's all guidelines to help the player and it's for the players benefit. At the same time, it sometimes will take away from getting actually ready to play football. So when you get to camp, I mean, that's when the real football starts.
Speaker 5: What about the conditioning because you show up, let's say you're out of shape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is there a lot of throwing up?
Speaker 6: Oh, every year, you have guys that get back in the offseason. Look, some guys treat offseason it's my off season, and then they show up to offseason to get in shape. Then there's other guys that go through offseason and it's just this progression of getting ready to get into the off season. But they come in ready to go in shape. But when you get there that first day and they go on that first run, and a lot of times the strength and conditioning coaches that are trying to prove a point, and they'll hit you with gassers the first day, which is across the field and back, change the direction, and you're on a clock for your rest, and then you're running again, and you'll constantly see guys throwing up all the time.
Speaker 5: So do they force you to do an x amount of conditioning or do they test your condition to see where you fall?
Speaker 6: That's a good question. So when you get there for the off season, they're not testing your conditioning. Well, I think they're always trying to understand where you're at. But when you get to the off season, they're kind of putting you through different drills and they immediately notice who's in shape and who's not. But when you get to actual camp, they have a conditioning test, and every team's a little bit different. Like when I was in New England, we had the skill players ran sixties and it was thirty second rest. We had to run twenty sixties with a two minute rest at ten. Then all of a sudden I got to Kansas City. They did the three hundred yard shuttle, which is by far the worst of all the conditioning tests because that one hundred hundred, No, it's fifty back, fifty back, fifty back. And some coaches when I was in Tennessee, Coach Watterson, if you're listening, still didn't like you for this. He'd changed it to go twenty five back, so it was six times down and back. It's brutal and you should see the suffering that takes place or some of these big guys. I mean, there's three hundred and sixty pounds. Should you really have to run three hundred yards? I never understood it because we play at cardiovascular sport, where you run, you stop, hit your breath, you'd go again, right, play after play there, it's just a brutal conditioning test. It's all timed and if you don't make that, then you're up at six am the next day. You're in the building and they're putting you through conditioning, getting you ready, and then you have to run that conditioning test again again when they feel like you're fit.
Speaker 5: So if you're not conditioned and you do not pass the test, they will then condition you enough that you pass the test. Well, they continue to do it until you pass the test.
Speaker 6: They won't let you practice until you pass the test. So that's kind of the main thing that almost every organization has is if you don't pass that test, then you're in and I forget the club. They called it in the morning, but you've got to wake up early, go in it and they're doing conditioning and then you've got to run that test again.
Speaker 5: I was watching the highlights of what I would call the French Open in tennis, but I think now it has like a name like roll On Get Arrows Classic.
Speaker 3: It's one of the major for me that it was easy.
Speaker 5: It was a French Open and so they played a five hour and forty minute match. Unbelievable that Alkaaz And again I don't keep up with tennis nearly as close as I used to because one of my buddies used to play, and he'd play in the French Andy Rottick, who's been on the show. It was his worst because the clay took a lot of the heat off the ball and meaning it was slow, and he was known for a very fast serve. So the French you had to move well, which is really why an Adull dominated, Like he could still hit it well, but he could move wonderfully. So they retired na dolls like footprints, and I'm going to mess some of this up, but they end up having This is going to be a two parter here, but it was a five hour and forty minute match, and I was watching Rodick on his podcast talk about how tennis players are really some of the best athletes because they're doing it by themselves. And basketball players they're running back and forth, but they've got other people, they got teams, they're set where tennis players.
Speaker 6: Are just going, going, going.
Speaker 5: But it was again almost six hours and he's pointing at the clock going almost six hours, and it was a crazy comeback, meaning he was down and like the fifth said it was like five to one. Don't know exactly what it was, but it was one of the greatest comebacks ever in major tennis history. And so I was thinking about that as far as I think some of the great comebacks ever, and I do think of And you weren't on the you weren't part of the twenty three Patriots Falcons.
Speaker 6: No, I was not. Remember I told you I never got a ring, right, Yeah, that's a few episodes, Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, yeah.
Speaker 3: What was your greatest comeback ever?
Speaker 6: Greatest coming and it can be.
Speaker 5: Ever high school? I would say college. We didn't start in college. I could be high school or NFL.
Speaker 6: Who needs a certain college when you go to.
Speaker 5: The process exactly high school to the pros, you basically were lebron People don't look they don't.
Speaker 3: Look at you like that going high school to the pros, and I.
Speaker 6: Think that's unfair. You know, one of the greatest comebacks I can remember. I was in Kansas City. We were playing the Indianapolis Colts, and I believe it was second quarter. We're down like twenty one to six something like that, and that's a pretty significant deficit, even if you have a full half to play and we went down scored before half to close the gap a little. It might even been twenty eight to seven at that point, so we went down scored before half, and then we just went out in the second half and absolutely changed the tides. Momentum kind of switched to us and we started rolling a little bit, and then the next thing you know, we ended up coming all the way back and I think we won that game by three points. But it was phenomenal because every possession matters. When you're down like that, you can't make those silly mistakes, and you can't punt too many times and give the ball back to them because they can eat up clock, run out the time, do all that. So we just kind of started hitting on all cylinders and we started running the ball well, but I was throwing the ball, and we came back from behind, and it was phenomenal. I mean, And there's something special about the locker room when you have a come from a hind victory, because everybody has to rally together and do their job and do it at a high level, but also not blink in the face of adversity because you face those things all the time, and some of those games just get out of hand and you just see it go totally south right. You can't come back from that. Guys are sitting there pissed off on the sideline and they're in the wrong headspace, but guys focused in and then you get into that locker room, and especially being on the road, there's something significant about being on the road against all odds, chaotic environment, crowds against you, and then to come and win that game and go in locker room in a celebration in the faces, and then to get on that bus. There's no better feeling in football.
Speaker 3: In honor of the Rolling Garris. What's it called French Open and Rolling Garris?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 3: They called it open?
Speaker 5: The Spectacular, the no, no, no, I know it's called Rolling Garris, but I'm saying that it is a French Open.
Speaker 3: They still call it French Open.
Speaker 5: Some people do both, do okay, Castle and I called French Open?
Speaker 6: Yeahah. Have you ever been to a big tennis match? I haven't, and I've always wanted to go. I heard it's a great environment. I don't think I do well there because I'm uncomfortable in silence. So like you know, like none of the crowds.
Speaker 5: You do a golf you've ever been to like a golf tournament, I have, Okay, it's same, you'll have me silent for a minute.
Speaker 6: I went to the Open at LA country Club and the US Open, the US Open. Yeah sorry, I mean we're talking French Open, the US Up in US Open at LA country Club. But they had like those little suites that you could sit in. Yeah, it's a full on party. It's awesome. And while you have to be quiet when you're walking around doing all that and somebody's holding up the sign, it was chaotic.
Speaker 5: I mean, tennis is interesting because you can't even walk in the stadium during a point. Really, they have people blocking the exits or the entrances to leave or go out because while the point's going, they don't want any distraction happening.
Speaker 6: Do They serve beer and all that kind of stuff. So it's a normal sporting event ish, just no talking. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I went to if you actually travel with a Rodick a little bit to go to his events. So in honor of that and honor raft in the Dolls probably the second greatest of all time. I think Djokovic took it over n Doll. I used to be Federer. Yeah, but I think the doll over took Federal Who cares? But I have best lefties of all time because the doll is a lefty.
Speaker 6: Oh and you're a lefty. That's true.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what why I came to mind.
Speaker 5: Yes, let's talk my big list of the top nine sports lefties of all time. Ready, At nine, I put in a doll because I don't give a craft by tennis.
Speaker 6: No, I love it.
Speaker 3: And at eight I put never Tolova because I don't give a craft by tennis.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 5: I understand why tennis is awesome, but I personally it's like F one. I'm sure there's something to it. I give a crap. I don't know enough about it. Wasn't raised around it.
Speaker 6: I also love the fact that in tennis you could be righty or lefty and you don't really get penalized for being lefty. In baseball, you can hit left hand and you don't get penalized for that. But you're really you can only play first base. It sucks. And have you ever have you ever seen a catcher's left handed catcher?
Speaker 5: So in softball for the first time in college softball, one of the catchers got hurt at Arkansas and the utility player is left handed, and so she got behind the plate and caught an inning. Really yeah, but I was left handed. I could never catch right you. I could only play the outfield, first base.
Speaker 6: Or pitch. That's it. That's it limited. I mean, it is a right handed sport. Yeah. And then the other thing. I think we had this discussion, but there's never been a left handed center. I can't think of one.
Speaker 3: There probably has been in football.
Speaker 6: In football, I've never played with a left handed center.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that was a thing. A rider or left handed center.
Speaker 6: I've never played with. Why would that matter. I have no idea how the ball comes up, and I've never played with one, so I don't know. But it was interesting to me because I was thinking about that. I was like, I've never played with a left handed center, and you'd think that there would be at least one lefty big boy up there that played center before. I don't think I would even notice. Yeah, how about that?
Speaker 3: What about soccer?
Speaker 6: Ever? Go to any soccer matches? Know enough about soccer. I have been to a soccer match and I forget who was playing. It was one of those exhibition games. Somebody from Europe came over to play the team from New England their professional soccer game. It was awesome because the following from the European teams and all that stuff. It just those people are so passionate and they bring their signs and their jerseys and they're all their different chants, so it was it was an incredible experience. Is that your Lett Stadium?
Speaker 5: Soccer's lost on me? And I understand why people love it, but I wasn't raised around it. So that's why I put Messy at seven left footed.
Speaker 6: I mean Messy at seven.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I again, what a me to put a cricket player in there. I don't know about cricket. Those guys are pretty skilled, let's I agree. Who also skilled brain surgeon? And if I did a left hand of brain surgeon, you know what you're talking about?
Speaker 6: Sports?
Speaker 3: I don't know them. I have Messy at seven.
Speaker 5: I got a lot of baseball guys Babe, Ruth, Lefty and batter overrated or no or just black and white. And since it's black and white, we really can't tell.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think it's a generational thing. And at his time, he was the Michael Jordan, the little bron James, the whoever you want, Tom Brady of his time, larger than life figure and never look he never looked the part. Let's say say that, but the big band Bieno could.
Speaker 5: Crush Randy Johnson. Gosh, was there not a seven foot tall cooler shot.
Speaker 6: Of when he hit that pigeon midair and bloated Ken Griffey Jr. One of the sweetest things you'll ever see. It was just pure joy.
Speaker 3: So this is my hot take as I put Barry Bonds in.
Speaker 6: I was there.
Speaker 5: I think Barry Bonds was better at baseball than Michael Jordan was at basketball.
Speaker 6: M that is a bold statement. I agree, really bold statement.
Speaker 5: Barry Bonds is the best at a sport that we in America have ever seen a ballplayer be at their sport.
Speaker 6: Well, I think as a hitter because Jordan was such an all around I agree with that. But yes, and the games are so dramatically different. So Barry Bonds comes up to bat four times every game, Michael Jordan's on the court for you know, the duration of it in for four quarters. It's just such a different sport. It's so hard to compare. But the greatness of Barry Bonds and his ability to see pitches and hit the ball the way that he did in his hand eye coordination.
Speaker 5: I mean, it is just remarkable and the way that I would compare them, much like generationally, I think you can only compare And I think you said this earlier athletes to other athletes in their generation, because I think it's unfair to put King Gripy Jr.
Speaker 3: Against fab Ruth. They didn't play the technology.
Speaker 6: He was the same pitching, batting, everything else.
Speaker 5: And I think I think you can only compare the greats versus the other greats at that time. So Michael Jordan, who else was great during Jordan's era, Kim Olajuan kar Malone. I think Jordan was far better than those guys, But I think Bonds was so much better than the next guy up at two uhs.
Speaker 6: Unbelievable because when you had Bonds, you had the Samy so so you have the Mark McGuire's. You had all these incredible power hitters. But he wasn't just only a power hitter. I mean he could hit for average as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 6: They wouldn't throw the ball to him to hit. And it's such a good eye, like they he made them throw pitches. I think he was one of those guys that would lead the league in walks every year. Too.
Speaker 5: He wore all that equipment. You know, he would go up and look like a robot covered in armor. And the reason he wore so much on his right arm was because the only spot they could find a weakness was under his arm. Is about half the size of the baseball. And you know a lot of players, they can find like a whole area imagine nine squared where and there's like one, two, three, which of the cold areas hot areas, And they could chase those areas with Bonds. They said it was half the size of a single baseball and it was only under his arm. So he wore all that because the people kept throwing under his arm whenever they would actually try to throw to him, so it kept getting hit in the freaking elbow. So I put Bonds as my one of my greatest lefties ever. I put James Harden in there in there for basketball players. Oh yeah, Steve Young, Steve Young, You've got to go with Stevie michael Vick left handed.
Speaker 6: You put him at what parted on the list.
Speaker 5: Well, then I just got lost on I just started doing numbers because I did have a number, and then I just started going, you know, I'm gonna do it. And Michael Vick and then at golf had Phil Mickelson. Phil Michelson, okay, I can I can dig that.
Speaker 6: And I had Ronda Rowsey in UFC. Oh, she was trailblazer man. She she brought all the attention to women in the UFC and was a headliner, the first headliner right female event, and she consistently sold out crowds and till she didn't. But at the same time, nobody could beat that girl. I mean, you'd never seen anything that everybody would tune in. I would tune in.
Speaker 3: She got so big as a UFC fighter.
Speaker 5: She went to WWE as a female because only brock Lessener really had done that successful and said, the other guys that tried to like wrestle and go to UFC, do you But she was the one to really go superstar to superstar as a woman.
Speaker 6: And then the other part is you're like, Ronda, can you please take it down? You're seriously hurting me, Like the ww wrestlers like, please, oh my god. If you if she opened up a real can of web blessing them. Can you imagine just like Lesser, dude, oh Brock. We went to the one in Nashville. Was it SummerSlam or whatever it was, and it was he and Roman Reigns were going head to head. And when you actually watch proco Lessner get in it, I mean, the guy is an absolute monster. And he started like cartoon characters. Oh he starts picking him up. But some of those some of those moves that you see when they kind of help and they jump up rock, Lesser would pick any man up and just ruin them.
Speaker 3: Are your stats for your comeback? Four touchdowns, two hundred fifty yards.
Speaker 6: I'll take it. Let's go, good day. Dwayne Bow made an incredible catch too. I underthrew the hell out of a fade rout and he went up, tipped the ball up, tip the ball up, got it. I was like, yes, thank you, Dwayne. That's legit, that's legit.
Speaker 3: He seemed like a big body dude.
Speaker 6: Oh dude, he was a beast and I had to get used to that because when we were in New England, Randy was a big body dude. But Randy would beat you with speed down the field right, and Dwayne was a big body dude. But at the same time, bo would run and if he got even he was ready for that backshore because he'd love to go up and use his body and protect the ball and go up and get it. So we got really good at throwing that back shore. So as soon as I found out that a dB wasn't going to look back and track the ball, I was going to get that ball out of my hands as coy as I could, and he would attack it because he was just a big target.
Speaker 3: Another play that never seems to work is that fade from the two yard line.
Speaker 6: It's a tough play, especially if you're in shotgun, because it's such a quick reaction play. You usually don't get the laces, and a lot of these guys at the wide receiver position sometimes they're not patient enough. So the biggest part of running that from a detail orient standpoint is you have to close cushion because a lot of those those dbs will sit at like that one to two yards in the end zone, so they're reacting to you. But you've got to go down and give them like two or three stutter steps because now you can go in and cross their face. But then you also give the quarterback the ability to grab that ball, especially in shotgun, and then put it back there because a lot of times it's just so rushed and the dB can close cushion on you. But if you go down, get to them to where you give them that two way go and then be patient with it, then it gives you the ability to throw that ball up over the top.
Speaker 3: They find close cushion.
Speaker 6: So when I say close cushion, there's that little cushion that they have. When I said that, there were say we're at the two yard line, they're going to sit about that one yards deep into the end zone. You need to get on their toes and threaten them right now because they don't know whether you're going to run in or run by them. But if you just you kind of close cushion, but or you take your step too far away, that guy just drives you to the sideline because he's reacting to that. But if you close cushion and make him stop his to him, get to him, stop his feet. Now when you excel accelerate to go to the back end line, now I can throw it up over the top end you've got a step. But if you do it too quick or you give it away. Now that those dbs are so reactionary that they can close and play hands and get the ball.
Speaker 5: Did you like if it was fourth or fourth and one, fourth and two that they'd call the fade in the corner?
Speaker 6: You know there was fourth and two. I would rather have a concept to where you've got an over under, and now it's based on the team because a lot of times when you're down on the red zone, it's either max pressure or max coverage, and so we'd call two plays in the huddle. So we'd have our combination route where it's a tight end on a shallow cross, and then you've got the back end line because you're either throwing low on the front or high in the back, so you're trying to get that dB and see what he's going to do. That safety usually if they're too high and they're in coverage to come up on your shallow cross because he's got coverage on him. As soon as he does that, you're throwing high over his head in the back end line, and then you've got another concept back. So it's kind of like a progression read. But as soon as you see pressure, I have the ability to go alert alert, I check to him ex protection set the man protection. You're giving a two man route here and usually a fade or something on the back side, and so you get you pick up your matchup.
Speaker 5: If you're calling two plays in the huddle, are you calling one play and saying if we change, we're changing to the second play, or like, how does that work?
Speaker 6: So I'd so, for example, i'd call trips right sixty four, sticks X and ZD per turn alert, I'd say alert eighty and we'd usually like go rock X fade or something like that, and that would tell. So if I say alert in the huddle, and they already know if I say alert, we're not changing formations. We're just changing protection, and then that's what we're going to the or the two man route is going to be rock and that's just a return in a corner, and then the one man route, I'll just tag X fade. So as soon as I get to line of scrimmage, I'm gonna double cadence it. So I'm gonna give you a dummy cadence. Blue Lady Blue Dy said hot Hot. Hopefully they show me a little indication of what they're gonna do. And if I think that they're pressuring I'm going to go. I just go alert alert, alert alert. Oh maha, blue goat. And everybody should be on the same page because that is a rehearsed action that goes that we do time and time again in practice.
Speaker 3: How annoying would it be if there was no play yet someone still jumped.
Speaker 6: Oh, it happens all the time. Oh, you're saying like, if you had.
Speaker 3: No play, you are going to go up, And he said, use a dummy call.
Speaker 5: Yes, so you're not calling anything at first, there's no reason to jump because you haven't actually called the play.
Speaker 6: Well, no, the play is sixty four sticks X and ZD purturn. If you go, ah huh right, Well, that's what gets guys because they sometimes they're in their own worlds. And so when you're going up, even if I say a double cadence here, or we used to have a word called molasses, and I try to come up and say momo momo, reminding these guys. But every now and then there's movement on the defensive line and there see something coming and they jump out of a stance and you're like, oh my god. And then that's the worst possible right, you're on the two yard line, you do a double cadence to try to get them to show you something, and then you're five yards further back and you're.
Speaker 5: Like, ah, was there ever grace given to a hold because you knew everybody held all the time, or at least they could call a hold all the time, or were you just irritated every time?
Speaker 6: I mean, the worst part about the hold is a ten yard penalty, and it's a drive killer every single time. And some of these are questionable calls. And the thing that hurts the most is when you're driving, say you're about midfield or something like that, and you have a big play, especially a pass, because I'm selfish and I want the passing yards and everything to look good for me. No, I'm just kidding. But you get a holding call and now you're ten yards back and that whole play is taken away, and now you're second and twenty. There's not a lot of good calls. I'm telling you, second twenty. You're trying to get back on track to get you to a manageable third down. But when you're third and twenty, you can't hold the ball long enough because all those guys have their earspinned back ready to come crush you.
Speaker 5: But are you irritated the lineman for holding or are you like, well, any lineman could almost be called for a hold at any time.
Speaker 6: You know, it's part of the game. Now, if it's something that shows up consistently, then I really don't have to say anything. Now. There there's maybe an occasional time, particularly in a four minute drill. When you're in a four minute drill, what you're trying to do is run the ball consistently and take off time, okay, And I will tell them when I come in the huddle, I'll say, hey, look, no holding, no offsides, Let's just get the ball moving forward. Even if we get stopped for a negative game, that's fine with us as long as that clock's running. But when you have an off sides penalty or you have a holding in particular and you're ten yards back, it's not so much about the yardage because even if we punt, that's okay, it stops the clock, and that's really those kind of details of the game, especially when you're trying to close out a game, are crucial.
Speaker 5: Now, let's get over and talk with two times Super Bowl champion and Kansas City Chief Trey Smith. Trey went from a sixth round draft pick starting every game as a rookie in twenty.
Speaker 6: Twenty one with the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Now is one of the best guards in the league easily.
Speaker 5: He's a pro bowler, by the way, at two times first team All SEC at Tennessee. Made a cameo in a Hamewark movie last year. He also hosts a youth football camp at Tennessee every year.
Speaker 6: We'll talk about that as well.
Speaker 5: So big thanks to Trey for coming on here. He is Kansas City Chief Great Trey Smith. Hey, Trey, appreciate the time. Hey, first off, I should say Jackson, Tennessee's own Tray Smith.
Speaker 6: Come on there, Trey. I'm a big fan of yours. You've got an incredible story. My first question is what was more nerve wracking for you starting your freshman year at ut, starting as a rookie for the Chiefs, or you know, making that cameo appearance, appearance in the Hallmark movie.
Speaker 2: I would say the Hallmark movie was scary.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I went into it.
Speaker 7: They didn't tell me how to be speaking lines. I'm over here thinking, like you know, I'll just be over here getting some water by the water cooler in my uniform, just in the background of the movie. But you know I showed up there. They're like, no, you have these lines you have to remember. I'm like, okay, no one told me about this. But I would say I was nerve racking. But ultimately I would say playing for the Chiefs, you know, seven into a winning culture. Blocking for a guy like Patrick Mahomes, you know, you're seven to a winning atmosphere and a standard that had already been set. So I think living up to that as a rookie, you know, starting NFL, playing against grown men with family and children that depend on them, that was definitely a little more nerve racking than me.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about the off season for a second.
Speaker 5: We were just talking with Castle about how some guys just take off and some guys slowly get back into it, and some guys go hard the entire offseason. At what point after the year is finished, do you start to get yourself back into shape, to get back into shape?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think Mitchell Schwartz at O Line Masterminds, it's an event in the summit that we hold every year in Dallas. Offensive linemen from every level Collegiate Pros Hall of Fame, you name it. You know, they come and give us a little words of wisdoms and tidbits at of your game. And I really love what Mitchell Schwartz said in terms of stay ready, so you don't have to get ready so pretty much year round. You never want to get too far out of shape. I would say after my rookie year, you know, once the ABC Championship game, and you know it's a long time of football. You talk about draft prep all the way through the season. The longest season I ever had. You know, I felt like I wanted to take some time off, and I felt like I took too much time off. So for me, I try to take about two to three weeks of just you know, eating bad, enjoying life, seeing family, but then trying to get back into it, doing cardio and different things just to keep the body moving and saying in decent shape. So I would say every year you refine it and you tune it up. For me personally, I like it to where I don't get too far out there, but every guy's different. That's where it been my formula.
Speaker 6: You know, you talked about the draft process, and I thought It was pretty interesting because as a four year starter at ut and then getting drafted in the sixth round, was that something when you got drafted in the sixth round coming out you felt like you had something to prove or a little chip on your shoulder because of the success that you had in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely did. Man.
Speaker 7: I didn't expect to go that low in the draft, but at the end of the day, you know, God blessed me with the opportunity. That's all I needed. So when I got that one shot, I want to make sure it's stuck. I wanted to make sure that teams that passed up on me, teams that didn't think the juice was worth the squeeze, that I wasn't good enough to play for them. I wanted them to feel that every single time I stuffed them in the field. And I think just as a competitor, just having that nature in that edge as an athlete, you always want to prove people wrong. And for my life, a lot of people have to hold me things that I couldn't do, goals that I could never accomplish. I'd never be good enough to attain those or succeed. And I just had something to prove every single time I stuff them in that field, I wanted them to feel.
Speaker 5: That when you went to Tennessee you started immediately. Did you know you were going to start immediately? Or do some things fall and all of a sudden you're a freshman who's got to go.
Speaker 7: No, I didn't really think I was going to start immediately. I knew I was gonna have to fight and compete for a job. I knew I was highly ranked, highly recruited. A lot of guys and teams wanted me, but I knew it was gonna be a hard battle to get there. When I got to Tennessee and I sort of saw where I was stacking up in the spring practice, how I was competing and seeing that you know, there's a legitimate shot and a chance for me to play, and then you know, ultimately it worked out in my favor.
Speaker 6: No. I know, going your sophomore year, you started eight games, but then you had to end the season early because of blood clots. Can you talk to us a little bit about what you're going through during those challenging times and how it shaped your mindset moving forward and as both on and off the field.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a it's a long arge with story man. You know what happened after my freshman year, you know, had a lot of success, started every game, all sec whatever, and then our coaching staff, Coach Jones and his entire staff gets fired. So incomes and Jeremy Pruitt, completely different coaching staff, and as y'all know in the sporting world, they're trying to break you every single time to figure out who's going to be the nucleus of this team, who are we going to build, who are our team leaders going to be. So we did maddurials every day, and then there was the workouts trying to break you. And I remember, like the first couple of weeks having no problem with it, and then all of a sudden, like during conditioning, I passed out and just not really understanding what's wrong with me and telling my doctor I've lost thirteen pounds in a day. I feel awful. I can barely walk to the library. It's like four hundred yards wi having to stop and catch my breath. And you know, ultimately they figured out that I have blood clots and both sides of my lungs, like a really severe case of it for me. I think that was devastating, just trying to figure out what's the next move, next direction. At the time, the doctor told me, you know, we don't know if you're able to play. If you get blood clots again, not only can they be fatal, but you'll never play football again. So for pretty much five to six months, I had to do every study hall, every practice, every workout, every meeting without really knowing that I was going to play that season. And ultimately, you know, they cleared me to play, got through about halfway point of the season that said you have blood clots again, and for me, it was just like one of the darkest moments. You know, football is taking away from me, like what's my next direction? And you know, I just landed. I loaned on my faith just to bring me through it. There are a lot of dark days, a lot of dark times, and it was a tough process and ultimately, you know, we got with the doctor that created a medical plan and never been done in a contact sport before, where I was taking bloodthnder every single day of the week and then coming off it a Friday morning and playing on Saturday. So I had no contact practices. I wasn't able to practice all I could do was walk through workout and watch film. So it was a whole different process to adapt and try to prepare for that. But for me, I just wanted to play the game, you know, I knew I wanted to be a football player since kindergarten. So for me, it's all about reaching that dream, to aspire to be an NFL player, to keep playing the game, and once again just proving people wrong.
Speaker 5: This will probably be an uneducated question, but did that at all affect your draft stock two years later?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's probably one of the most negative things about I mean, it was hard to explain to a coach or an organization, Like imagine trying to tell Bill Belichick at the time, Hey, coach, I can't practice. I can go play for you, but there's no wile practice. So for them it was like, Okay, this kid can't practice, how's he gonna get better, how's he gonna how's he gonna develop? We can't even develop this kid if you can't play. So it was a long journey trying to tell teams your story, and there's so much background that goes into the story that a lot of teams didn't feel comfortable, which I don't blame them.
Speaker 6: You know, we used to have this saying or this big sign up in the locker room and said, durability is more important than ability. And you've played in sixty seven games, started every single game. Can you talk to us about the inner workings of how you keep yourself healthy throughout the course a week, what you do for your body to keep yourself maintained and on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, there's so much that goes into it.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: I think that's just part of growth as a football player from every level you keep going right. And for me, it was just like stretching, rehab, sports, massage, therapy, ice, bass, like just adding little things into my game. Having mentors and ogs in the locker room. They're telling, hey, look, come on, come on me, we're gonna do this schedule where you know, day after a game, you know you feel terrible, but come in here, get a lift, do a body flush, just something to keep the bones and body moving. So for me, I think that's a bit of it. For me, I always I want to put true and play almost no matter what. I don't know if it's an O line thing, but it's almost like a pride thing, like I want if I'm able to get off the couch, I want to go out there and play. So I think there's a little mental toughness aspect. And then I have great teammates around me talking about the interior offensive lineman as well, Guys like Joe Toney create Humphrey. You know they don't miss games either. So I don't ever want to be one of the guys that lets my teammates down when they need me. If I can go compete and get my best on the field, I'm not gonna not gonna hold out.
Speaker 2: On my guys.
Speaker 5: I have some buddies, and it's four other guys. We play in a Madden League. Every time Madden comes out for like four months. In the past two years, I've traded for you every season. I just want to tell you that I've traded for you, like you're so legit on that. Do you know how legit you are on Madden? Do you ever play with you, bro?
Speaker 2: I haven't played Madden in a while, but I love to hear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, every year. I trade for you every year.
Speaker 5: It's funny to see your head in real life because your head's up there on my team all the time.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 6: So when you came into the league, who are some of those guys that took you under their wing and kind of showed you how to be a professional, how the league operated, and somebody who you probably still rely on today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Man, when I walked to the Chiefs as a rookie, man, we were veteran heavy, especially in the offensive line room, and there's so many names, guys like Mike Rimmers, Larry Tardiff, Duverneur, Kyle Long.
Speaker 2: You know Kyle.
Speaker 7: I leaned on Kyle a lot during the season just to teach me different things. But then I also having, you know, in my opinion, Hall of Fay Future of Fame offensive guarden Joe Toney, a guy that I can bounce ideas off questions, a guy that I can watch and try to emulate my game a little bit off of him. So, you know, I had a great offensive line coach and Andy Hack assist officive line coach Cory Mattey, and obviously you know the headman himself, coach Ree who understands interworkings of offensive line play. So really fell into a great perfect situation. Talked about my center once again, Creed Humphrey I've known him since sophomore year of high school. So having that report in that relationship already, step into the game like it was easy because I have a guy nice to me that I know I can trust, you know, talking about a guy like Andrew Wiley, Lucas and Yang as well. So we had a really good, strong core offensive line room, and you know, the transition was very difficult. All days weren't good days. It didn't have great games all the time, but you know, you know, leaning and depending on those guys made it a lot easier.
Speaker 5: The first time I thought about this was a Lebron comparison, But Lebron being forty and all the seasons that he's played really isn't the whole picture because all the playoff games that he's played as well as the seasons, it's like multiple other seasons. Now when I look at a guy like you, all the playoff games that you're playing every single year that you've been in the league, right, because yeah, you've been what you've been in five years, four years at this point, four or five years, yeah, like my fifth year. Yeah, so that's that's a lot of you've basically played an extra season compared to players that haven't made the playoffs or haven't gone far in the playoffs, Like, your body's got to feel like it's two seasons deeper than that, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's not sweet and winning super Bowls and stuff. It's awesome, but you know there's a lot of wear and tear in the body when you go that far. You know, I'm spoiled in a way. You know, God's blessed me once again, where it's like, I don't know anything less than an AFC Championship game in my entire career. But like you said, like it accumulates and adds on every season you start stacking those extra games. So I think that's why, like body and recovery became critical for me in terming, like I want longevity in my career, but I also want to be available. Availability is the best trade, right. So so from that, it's been really difficult just trying to stay on the field, but you just have to adapt your game and of all as time goes.
Speaker 6: So what type of motivation do you guys have going into this year Because obviously with the success that you've had earlier in your career with the two Super Bowls and you're coming off a season where you guys didn't get it done this year. What's your mentality going into this year with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, the mission remains the same every year. We have meetings and we talk about it, and you know, ultimately we're all there to win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: So obviously we came up short, and that's a feeling that we won't forget and it's a feeling that no one in that locker room like. But at the end of the day, we have to just focus on the current mission, which is how do we attack every day, day in and day out, just one step out of time, one rep at a time. So for me, I feel like I personally I can only speak on my own experience, but I never look too far ahead. I just look at my opponent each and every week and just go from there and just keep building Because if I can be the best version of myself for my team, then I know I'm doing my job, and I know all of my guys are doing that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be just fine.
Speaker 3: Hey, so tell me about this camp. It's a second year, you're doing it right, let's.
Speaker 2: Our second year camp.
Speaker 7: Man, It's going to be in Jackson Tennessee, June twenty first second year running it, having a great turnout again, and just putting on something for the community of Jackson. You know, I owe so much to that place to help me become a man and the person who I am today. So I want to give back to the community anyway I can.
Speaker 5: And so the ages of the kids though, so it's anywhere from second grade to twelfth grade, is that right, Yes, sir, yep?
Speaker 3: And what do you teach them differently?
Speaker 5: I mean, if you are second grades to a whole different set of skills in eleventh grade, I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, a little bit of trial and error from last year.
Speaker 7: Just understand the second graders and the little guys they want to just go out there and have fun, but just sort of get them a basic understanding of the fundamentals of football, what goes into it. But the main emphasis is making sure the little guys have fun out there. When we talk about the middle school in high school camp, just turn it up a little bit. Obviously, we're preparing them if they want to possibly have a future of the next level, or if they want to just some better themselves for the upcoming season. Just really pushing them, getting them ready and refining their skills become better athletes and better football players.
Speaker 5: The twenty twenty five Tree Smith Football Camp Saturday, June twenty first at the University School of Jackson and Jackson, Tennessee. And again, all the proceeds benefit the United Way of West Tennessee. And there's swag and food and expert coaching from Trey and other NFL players and surprises. So it really is a great deal, especially if you're anywhere near the area, Like, be sure to go check it out at least learn about it and then make your decision. My final question, though, can you give us a Patrick Mahomes in the huddle story.
Speaker 7: Probably to the Super Bowl closing out that game obviously a high pressure situation last year against the forty nine ers. You know, they got the ball, got possession, kick a field goal, they're up in overtime, and pretty much all eyes are on us at the end of the day. And I remember not necessarily being nervous because we're all ready for the moment. And I remember Pat just hops in the huddle was just like, hey, guys, let's get it, like you know what to do, Let's go do the same and just like the calmness that he had in his voice, the assurance, the confidence and swag based it was just like, hey, we know we got fifteen back there, we know we're about to go do and like I said earlier, everyone just do your damn job.
Speaker 2: Man, do your job one rep at a time will be just fine.
Speaker 7: In a way that we systematically march down that field play after play after play. You know, I think that's really one of his greatest drives he's had in his career. Man, when you look at the excellence and the greatness of Patrick Mahomes, I think that moment for me is one that's going to always stick out.
Speaker 6: How about any time where he got after you and you're like, oh man, that's not good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, Pat does an awesome job where he doesn't really lay into us too much. I think that we all know the level of effort he's going to bring every single time we step on that field. For us, it's just like, man, we never want to see our quarterback one on the ground, but in a position where like, you know, he's pissed off, ass like you don't want to you don't want those problems, right, But I remember one game the Texans.
Speaker 2: It might have been my second year.
Speaker 7: We weren't really playing the greatest half early on into that game, and I remember just telling us to sort of pick it up, and you know the way we had to respond to that. You know, when fifteen your quarterback to phild General is asking for something, man, it's not a question. You get your dang job done, you know what I mean. So I remember that, and that's probably the only time I can remember him really getting fired up. But like I said, Pat's always pretty calm on the field. But once again, like efforts never gonna be questioned when he steps on the field. We know what he's bringing. We know he's gonna leave that huddle in that team.
Speaker 6: Trey. We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Listen, my Madden team always paid you full Max Man. I paid you Max. So I hope in real life that's what you get because you deserve it.
Speaker 6: My friend.
Speaker 5: Hey, I appreciate the appreciate the time, and hope everybody checks out the second year of the Tree Smith camp for the kids again. Second all the way through twelfth grade. Trey, here's to a healthy season. Appreciate what you do for the community, and hopefully we'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks brother, Hope. I don't let you down on Madden too.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you never have, buddy, you never have see him man.
Speaker 2: See you, brother, Thank you. I got it.
Speaker 3: Let's continue our search for every team's goat.
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, I should have thought about this me too. I didn't know. Oh okay. We're now like filtering through going.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Browns and we've alphabet Brown be okay or Tim.
Speaker 6: Couch Nope, Jim Brown. No.
Speaker 5: You feel a little bad for some of the Browns quarterbacks. And you've probably seen the jersey of every Browns quarterback. All those quarterbacks don't suck. Those are people with unfortunate circumstances. They got drafted to an unfortunate place, which has been the whole that it's called the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a difficult situation. We we we've talked about it before on this podcast, you know, organizational fit, culture, everything else. And those guys all were drafted to that team at a really what top ten picks? Couch was number one overall overall, Yeah, number one overall. Brady Quinn was up there in the top ten. I mean you could go down the list and unfortunately you know, circumstances matter, and I feel bad for those guys because all of a sudden it starts going downhill and you're not having success as an organization and you get labeled as a bust or something. Now, Johnny Manziel was probably the only guy that I'd say, probably deservedly so after watching some of the comments he made and how he approached the game.
Speaker 3: But like Baker, was able to bounce back. I see, that's the thing about Baker.
Speaker 6: Baker went in there as a rookie, played really well and then took that team to the playoff, got a playoff win, and then was hurt and they traded for Deshaun Watson instead of paying him. But I thought Baker was one of those guys that was the first in a long period of time that was able to go on stabilize that position, give that organization hope.
Speaker 5: And I'm not comparing the two straight up, but Joe Burrow did a bit of the same thing with Cincinnati, who had a little more stability because they had they did have Carson Palmer, right, but it was few and far between. Because that's another program, or that's another organization that you really didn't feel the best about the overall health from the top down, right.
Speaker 6: And it starts with ownership a lot of time as well. Is I mean, are they dedicated and also how do they run their program and everything from facilities to food to everything that you take into consideration to make it holistically look the way it should look to be successful and show the players that you care in the organization itself. So it kind of has similar over overtones to that of Cleveland, but probably had a lot more in Ohio.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely two super Bowls, right, Bloomer lost both Boomer lost.
Speaker 6: And then Joe Joe lost one to the Rams, right to the Rams.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, Joe who Aaron ACKed him on the last.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, oh that's right.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's right because he beat my homes.
Speaker 6: Yes, he's the guy to beat my home. Yeah.
Speaker 8: They came back and that one, that's right.
Speaker 5: That was no Castle comeback, though I've seen comebacks the Castle two fifty four touchdowns. Yeah, that's a comeback.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you like that? How do you like that?
Speaker 3: Cowboys?
Speaker 6: Cowboys? M oh man, that's a good that's a great one. Yeah, because we can kind of walk through who you could go generationally. Yeah, Stabach exactly.
Speaker 3: You could do Stabach or Emmitt.
Speaker 6: Smith, Trey Ackman three times so I mean Michael Irvin.
Speaker 5: I mean you could even do oh gosh, I mean, I mean you can even do an offensive lineman. Although it's tough to do an offensive lineman. You know, they've really like even.
Speaker 6: They've had Zack Martin. Was Zach Martin is all time? Yeah, first ballot Hall.
Speaker 3: Of Fame probably got to be INMSS Smith though, right, I mean he set the record.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for probably have to be in Emmitt Smith, Probably have to be in Smith, Broncos Moose, Janeovichek maybe yeah, Broncos Broncos John. This next one's even though, Terrell Davis. So you met at the Super Bowl gold jacket on his gold jacket. That gold jacket looks pimp. I mean, there is that that factor when you see a guy in a gold jacket, especially if you played the game and you're like, that's awesome. Yeah even if you did, You're like, yeah, even if you didn't.
Speaker 5: This one's easy, but there is a pretty close second. Lions oh fair Sinners.
Speaker 3: But I think at least he deserves to be mentioned.
Speaker 6: Is Megatron. That's a good, good point, he's not one.
Speaker 5: I'm not arguing that he is one, but I think for a lot of teams he would be their best player.
Speaker 6: Ever. Oh he was a freak of nature. Freak just absolute size, speed, everything that you could ever like draw up on a board of what you'd want. That was Megatron. Talk about the ultimate mismatch because I think he was probably twound fifteen pounds heavier than Randy Moss, but similar skill set. Just an absolute freak of nature. Right, taller too right, I think he might might have been. I mean, what was he six five six'? Nine they, said, no just, Kidding, oh, okay six nine.
Speaker 3: Seventy what Was megatron listed when he. RETIRED i would guess six'.
Speaker 6: Five, yep uh.
Speaker 8: Two thirty. Seven yep we'll.
Speaker 3: About take the, Victory.
Speaker 5: There, packers now if you, go old which we weren't alive for to See, bart star, we weren't so it's kind of hard for us to Yell bart star because we saw some black and. White clips yes, we did, we did but it's it's really between, Two People brett Farv And.
Speaker 6: Aaron Rodgers And. Aaron Rodgers brett farv probably takes it because he has my. Childhood, HERO.
Speaker 5: Yeah I think i have To Go, aaron RODGERS but I Think aaron rodgers was the best quarterback of my.
Speaker 3: Formidable years he.
Speaker 6: REALLY was I mean i can sit there and honestly tell you from, skill, set yeah from also the mental side of, the game never, through interceptions could, take off, the, athleticism run do all, of it and then all the stuff that he would do at the line. Of scrimmage he. Was unbelievable but there was pure Joy Watching brett favre play the game.
Speaker 3: Because he played like we think we would have.
Speaker 6: Played right it was like a kid in the backyard and watching the enthusiasm, he had the celebrations and run AROUND with i will never forget In The super bowl when he's run around with his helmet off just like a little. ASS kid, i mean there's something to be said about. THAT that i think that that's what brought so many people to love, This Man brett favre when he played was because not only, his toughness but it was how he played. The Game With.
Speaker 5: Aaron rodgers he was never the single best at any of the, specific skills but he was always two. Or THREE if i were to, SPEAK more i, would Say pay manning probably was able, to, see think move with his mind a little Better Than aaron. RODGERS was I Think peyton manning was the most three, reel Quarterback But aaron rodgers probably two.
Speaker 6: OR three I believe peyton was probably one of the most demonstrative right and you could tell like.
Speaker 5: He was you just think because he was moving his hands a, lot more he. Was better he think he was, ACTUALLY well i do processing.
Speaker 6: IT faster i mean he did process at probably the highest level. We've SEEN but i also Played With tom Brady that i'd sit There and i'd be in awe about how he would be able to dissect a defense and understand what was going on based on a movement pattern of this guy's inside and the nickel blitz might, be coming check, a play get out, of it and get to what he wanted to. Get to And So aaron rodgers had those same type of. Skill sets and when you say he wasn't the, single Best and i'd say when he was in, his prime you never saw anybody throw the ball.
Speaker 5: Like, Him OKAY so i would say he didn't process as fast as Maybe a manning Or, or brady but he was always two. Or three he Wasn't A, mike vick he Wasn't A, lamar jackson but he absolutely. Could, run yes he didn't have the strongest Arm Of matthew stafford would have a, stronger arm but he was always two or three and having A freaking so my point is that every single thing he was in the, top THREE and i think that's why he's probably like the all around most talented quarterback of my. Formidable YEARS where i got to, watch television now there were Things where brady was so Good At but brady.
Speaker 6: Couldn't run but he didn't need. To run he didn't need.
Speaker 3: To, run YEAH so i Would.
Speaker 6: Go, rogers also the Thing about rogers was he played with, swack right he had that moxy, to him and all the great. Quarterbacks DO but, I mean rogers always seemed. On FACE and i also love the fact the guy never, Wore, rippads like NEVER wre i didn't, know, that YEAH and i. NEVER understood i was like he always would Just wear.
Speaker 3: It was common for every quarterback with ripets Or, MOST oh.
Speaker 6: I mean you would, think, SO yes, i mean just based on the fact that you're exposed all, the time and he just never wore, rip PADS and i, was like what A. Gangster, Texans texans now we can't.
Speaker 3: GO Oilers, JJ Watt, jj WATTS who? I.
Speaker 6: HAVE Yeah jj watt's probably.
Speaker 5: THAT guy i, Mean, there well it's a toddler of an organization still still.
Speaker 3: FOR sure i won't, say infant but we're toddler.
Speaker 6: Stages now but you're talking about the face of a franchise that's a recognizable figure that went out and dominated for year and a year out for a long period, of time perennial, pro bowler all the things that you look. For leader And also i'll tell you when he lined up on the opposite SIDE and i was on the Field and i'm looking, At him, i'm going, oh god see he'd block out the sun and. He was he's, also versatile like he'd play, defensive end he'd, move inside they'd move them. All around would you try to? Find him the hard part about them when we were Playing The, houston texas THEY Had, jj watt who was a force to be. Reckoned with They, had clowney they, had merciless they had dudes that could come off, the ball and they would always try to create single matchups because they'd go a five, down defense and so that gave them the ability TO move jj around and move. These guys so sometimes You see clowney standing over your CENTER with jj outside on your, defensive end and it was really hard to turn your protection to one and not be screwed with the. Other guy so you kind of had to play. It, Straight, colts well, That's Tough. Marvin hers it's definitely Gonna Be Peyton Manning Baby, Jaguars, jaguars hmmm. ANOTHER infant i can give you mine if. You're STRUGGLING use i think you Might.
Speaker 5: GO burnow i thought you Might, go brenow but you could Do, bursellly okay to go to the LINE then.
Speaker 6: I mean, usc product let's, be honest but he only played like seven or, eight years but he. WAS incredible i Would Go. Fred Taylor, Oh, reddy yeah that's he could be, that dude. FOR sure i could See that.
Speaker 5: Fred was NOW that I, accept Brunelle and i'm not saying that's who you're, married TO but I accept brunell because he did take a brand new organization To The.
Speaker 6: Super, bowl yeah like.
Speaker 5: He was stability to. A lefty i know he barely missed. My list your list was all. Over there my list got all over the PLACE because i.
Speaker 6: Started. Canting mess he was. LIKE seven i was, like, what, YEAH Yeah.
Speaker 8: Afc championship oh he didn't go to The.
Speaker 6: Super bowl who did you get? Beat, by.
Speaker 3: No they just came in at the.
Speaker 8: Same time did we have this talk?
Speaker 6: Last?
Speaker 3: Year, yeah yeah let me guess who they were?
Speaker 6: BEAT By cfc?
Speaker 8: They, there, well okay sorry with him twice.
Speaker 6: Never to The. SUPER bowl.
Speaker 5: I think he went to The. SUPER bowl i bet my reputation. On it you don't lose much if you lose. That, one nope they've never been The.
Speaker 6: Super. Bowl Okay blake portles went TO The afc. Championship, too yeah yeah he did. That one i'll want. SOME reputation i don't know how many get. It, Back crap i'm gonna work, on that. All right let's do. Two, more ah this. One's easy it's. Too Easy, The Chiefs, patrick mahomes, that guy he's.
Speaker 5: Pretty good let's do two, others, then okay give me, two Others, the Raiders The Raiders.
Speaker 6: Howe, long oh that's a.
Speaker 5: GOOD one i didn't Put how long on my, top three but unfairly Because he's stabler is, too old there's a Picture of stabler at. Thirty five have you guys seen? The Meme it's stabler like thirty three or thirty four, years old maybe, thirty five.
Speaker 3: And he looks like. He's seventy he looks like a seventy year. Old plumber he.
Speaker 5: Lived, Hard yes and Then there's brady at like, forty four and, it's Like here's stabler at thirty three Looking like grandpa.
Speaker 6: With. Modern, Medicine, brother, yes wow? What's up?
Speaker 8: That's, bad yeah the Look.
Speaker 6: The raiders i'm gonna Go With, Marcus, ALLEN okay i can.
Speaker 5: See that and mostly it's recency bias because we played in a celebrity golf tournament together about a three. WAYS ago i didn't spend enough time with him to. Know that but he was nice to me in like the three seconds we, said hello like he.
Speaker 6: Was.
Speaker 3: Smiley yeah that counts, for, Something, Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah well HE'S a usc product.
Speaker 3: Number, one yeah we got to stop at ALL The, USC.
Speaker 6: Well, i mean you're just naming all, the GREATS and i mean we have a lot a lot of great players that have come OUT. Of USC but i remember being AT a i think It. Was marcus we were At The. Tahoe TOURNAMENT did i tell you? This story AND his i believe it was his girlfriend was on the side and hit, the ball hit her on the top of, the dome split her. Head over you? Hit, Her no marcus hid he hit his? Own, girlfriend. Yeah accidentally she was following the group and like split her. Dome open had to go get Like full staples wearing a white outfit to and not felt.
Speaker 5: So bad what are the odds you hit, your girl even if she's? Following, you like what are the odds you? Hit anybody because there's a lot. Of, green yes what are the odd you hit your?
Speaker 6: OWN girl i. Don't know that's. Pretty slim last Ones The Chargers, Ooh Fouts, Danny, Fouts, winslow, No okay junior sayl oh.
Speaker 3: Great one NOT who i gave, it TO but i would.
Speaker 6: Accept it I'd say JUNIOR sal i Would Say La. DANIAN tomlinson i like both, of Them but I'm. Going. JUNIOR yeah, i mean if you think about the position, of linebacker did you.
Speaker 3: Play with him at All At?
Speaker 6: New? England yes. Incredible human what was?
Speaker 5: HE like i was gonna say it was like as, a dude BECAUSE what i remember of him as, being relentless NonStop With. The chargers and then OBVIOUSLY his ct set in and his life ended. Very tragically so those are like the two THINGS that i remember.
Speaker 6: From him, really sad, YOU know, i mean it was HE was i think thirty nine forty when he came To, the patriots and this guy loved. Ball man and when you got to the stadium in, the morning it would, be say we got there at, six, fifteen right he was had been there since four thirty in, the morning already, worked out was in the room watching. Film practice you'd never know that he. Was forty he was out there like he was trying to make the team, every day, making calls coming through and. Run fits never took a. Period off and then. The game he was the guy that would speak to the, team beforehand and it was this it was like a religious moment when you get To Hear Junior saya howe address the team because he was had such a great command and presence and just would fire you up and you'd be ready to run through a wall for. This guy and then you get off the field and he's the most humble individual you'll. Ever meet never met somebody that seemed like, a stranger nice as. Can be when we'd, Go out he's always picking up the tab doing those kind. Of things incredible teammate and just a fun guy to.
Speaker 5: Play with as we go into, THE season i made a list of PLAYERS that i had to look up where they're playing this year because a lot.
Speaker 3: Of, turnover, yes like, For Example. Joey bosa.
Speaker 6: Bill's, NICE yeah i already, heard though huh he's. Already hurt, no way he's had an injury right, and yep he's had an. Injury history but do.
Speaker 5: You want to see how many you can name the? New team i'm a gonna put you under the. Spot there but if You, know BOSA well, I knew I. Knew BOSA one i did not KNOW.
Speaker 6: And i had to think About Was, Naji Harris. Nase harris didn't he go To?
Speaker 5: The chargers, oh yeah, You're ready, You're ready. HE'S ready i wasn't going to. Put that you'll spotlight, on him but let's.
Speaker 6: Go baby was Then the chargers draft the running back in the. First? Round two who Is That north?
Speaker 8: Carolina?
Speaker 6: KID yeah i like him omyor O'mari And hampton hampton he's a stud.
Speaker 3: All right at let's let's, Do It.
Speaker 6: Mac Jones mac jones is with the forty. Nine, ers yeah how? About?
Speaker 5: That bro, all right We, Got ken We Got ken jennings over here acting like This.
Speaker 6: IS jeopardy I Mean mac jones talk about a crazy career up to. This point it comes in as, a rookie starts For, the patriots takes him to. The playoffs now they got boat raced By the bills in, the playoffs but incredible, rookie year and he was the next.
Speaker 5: Great one he was the next great one because he performed so well early, On right.
Speaker 6: AND unfortunately i feel bad for him, Because situationally josh McDaniels leaves and then new coordinator, Next Year. Matt PATRICIA and I Love, matt patricia but he always was on the defense side of, the Ball And bill belichick put him in. That position but at the same time kind of got derailed and got. An injury and then the next thing, you know he's he's out the door and he's with some of the. Last year, next thing, You Know western Kentucky's Own. Bailey, Zappy Yeah. Bailly zappy that's ONE person i. DON'T know i don't know where he.
Speaker 2: Is either.
Speaker 5: Nobody, DOES yeah i don't know even the league that he wasn't part of MY leg.
Speaker 6: I thought he was, really saying we're going.
Speaker 3: The list it's gonna be a.
Speaker 6: Mac jones and is that Like? The chiefs He's, the chief the great fit?
Speaker 3: All Right Gardner Minshew.
Speaker 6: Gardner, minshew oh so he was With the colts. Last year we, know, that right it's What, The Raiders. Cults raiders he had a great year with the Made The, pro bowl then went To. THE raiders i have no idea where. He went he just.
Speaker 5: Got suckered he's. The chief bailey's appy is probably a. Third, string seriously was going to back you guys. Screwed me we didn't screw you. On purpose stayed within the. Division though it's Not like KEVIN.
Speaker 6: And i worked.
Speaker 3: This out, we're, Like hey i'm really going to.
Speaker 6: Bring this this wasn't even this wasn't even in the plot for the first three and, you're, Like Hey, cooper rush oh he Went to HOLD and i. Know this you didn't Go.
Speaker 5: To denver it feels weird that he's not going to be a cowboy and he's not going to come in and play four games and win three of them because That's Basically cooper rush every year With.
Speaker 6: The cowboys.
Speaker 5: It's weird he's going to be in Weird colors Jacksonville. The ravens, oh, wow wow what an.
Speaker 6: INTERESTING fit i know as a coordinator Going, please god Don't Let lamar jackson get hurt because we're gonna have to change the. Entire.
Speaker 5: OFFENSE yeah I Think cooper rush moves a little better than we give him.
Speaker 3: Credit for don't let his skin color make you.
Speaker 6: Feel nothing to do with that making. Him play he's not gonna be running the zone read and power at the.
Speaker 5: Quarterback position there's also not a slower Name Than cooper Rush.
Speaker 3: Because rush but that rushing is like down.
Speaker 6: The middle.
Speaker 8: You know some call him the Modern Day.
Speaker 6: MATT castle i, Think no i'm, just.
Speaker 8: Saying, you know he doesn't look, the part, But Like cooper rush moves.
Speaker 3: Pretty good.
Speaker 6: Have you?
Speaker 5: Been, SERIOUS yeah i turn on, the. TAPE bro i watched your tape that you Load on instagame.
Speaker 3: Is awesome by, The WAY like i.
Speaker 6: Watched that somebody sent me THAT and i, was, like kids come, watch this watch. Us now it.
Speaker 3: Was awesome i'll tell my, WIFE said i worked. With, HIM look i. Know him that that.
Speaker 6: Was awesome that. WAS awesome i don't know who put, it TOGETHER but i, was, LIKE man i appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Look Good Uh, DeAndre hopkins D.
Speaker 6: Hop man he's signed. With Somebody so chiefs last year obviously went in after. That trade what the? What conference? Give me? Give me he's in THE, F c he's in the A, f c. Same Division, uh no because he's not In. The west.
Speaker 5: No Idea the, Ravens, again wow really good, For him Hunter, Renfro back. No idea there's a version of him on this team. As well and BY version i mean white possession receiver still? No idea consistent?
Speaker 6: Is crap white possession? Receiver consistent? His crap do you Know how i'm.
Speaker 5: Talking ABOUT when i say white, possession receiver, very consistent.
Speaker 3: The receiver i'm referring To Is. Adam deeling oh so he's gonna be.
Speaker 6: A panther carolina was going, to say, RIGHT theling.
Speaker 4: I Thought Of braxon, barios maybe but then you, said consistently like, he's more.
Speaker 6: By, the way not on.
Speaker 3: The List But braxton barrios Is. A TEXAN now i believe Is?
Speaker 6: HE okay i believe you may in fact check me.
Speaker 5: On THAT but i believe he has gone From the dolphins At, the texans which is kind.
Speaker 6: Of weird that's kind of. COOL though, i mean Your boy parker McCollum would be fired up. About that, you know he's got the full off season breakdown. For sure he was on it by. The way, oh yeah when he was on. The, truck yeah he's A. Massive, texans wow like, granular right like really in. The weeds so he Is a texan? Right, YEP Okay, AJ Dillon j dylon.
Speaker 3: He'll be he'll be, a backup maybe the best running back in, the league top three.
Speaker 6: AT least i really LIKE A. J dillon he's. A, stud yeah no. Idea, Though, yeah eagles he went To. The, Eagles wow SAQUON And, Aj dillon this one you'll know. FOR. Sure U, Joe Toney. Joe. June, Chicago yeah chicago did a great job with like revamping that offensive line in. Free. Agency Unbelievable. Zach Wilson, Zach, wilson oh wasn't He with denver? Last year, We're not. We're, Not yeah i'm. Just checking i'm just fact. Checking, myself, Philibustering philibustering, No idea.
Speaker 3: Dolphins really so he'll probably get.
Speaker 5: Some play he'll probably play Much Like dak remember that backup, is yeah you better get you better, get ready usually gets.
Speaker 3: Some run i'll give you. To More rahem mostert No.
Speaker 6: Idea raiders oh. Nice pickup Darius slay oh previously With, the Eagles also previo, his teammate. Great guy i'm still Yeah at detroit the guy was a stud h No Idea. Steeler steeler great pickup By.
Speaker 5: The steelers speaking Of, The Steelers aaron, rodgers thoughts how?
Speaker 6: ABOUT that I mean i kind, of anticipate like every single human just waiting for him to actually check. Into camp so, to me it wasn't a big surprise or just the. Ah moment at the, Same time i'm Sure the steelers are fired up, Because look aaron's, got something something, to prove just because he wouldn't be still. Be playing he has nothing, to prove but he wouldn't still be playing unless he. Wanted TO and i believe that he will immediately Upgrade the steelers Because Since, Ben roethlisberger i'd say he's the highest profile quarterback that has walked in. That building and in addition, TO that i still think he.
Speaker 5: CAN play i just wonder What the steelers' motivations are. In general is it just keeping your head? Above water because, IF so i. Get it, if, Not, Like Okay mason rudolph not, the GUY but i don't think you want the guy if you're not going to keep your head, above water, like eventually why not try to get a top?
Speaker 6: Draft PICK because i believe as a, coaching staff as, an organization, front office everybody, like that there are no.
Speaker 5: Throwaway seasons i'm not saying there's, a throwaway but don't you think if there's stability and a coaching staff and, an organization you also understand the need for. FRANCHISE players i could understand if you're a coordinator and a coach who's had a, couple backs Like the giants. For, example right let's say that situation. Is happening They Got jackson dart in. The draft but let's say that situation is happening where they're worried about. THEIR jobs i would definitely want the best. Season possible but If you're tomlin and you know you're not, going anywhere and they understand why you're not throwing, it away because there are no throwaways IN, the nfl especially.
Speaker 3: That possibly you're going to only remain one game over two.
Speaker 5: Games over they don't obviously don't lose because That's what, tomlin does stays around five hundred. Or better butventually you need a top pick to make that to make that team have a.
Speaker 6: BETTER team. I know i know that's the mindset of every fan and every person that's sitting there and looking at the longevity, and saying when are we going to be able to lose to so we can move up and maybe get another franchise quarterback and catch lightning in. A bottle but like, you said and like, we know there's no guarantees even if you're a top ten pick in the draft as. A quarterback and to be fair to everybody in that on that team and, that organization that, coaching staff to say there's somebody out there that gives us the best opportunity to win, right NOW then i think they have to go. Do that and it's for every guy in that, locker room for every, offensive lineman, defensive lineman anybody else. THAT'S involved i would say that it would be unfair to everybody in that organization, to, say hey we have the option to go out and get a better player, right now but we're not going to do it because we're hopeful that next year we'll get a better.
Speaker 5: Draft pick but if you're ceiling as ten wins, but ceiling if you're ceiling as ten Wins and rogers isn't going to be there more than a, Year.
Speaker 6: Two max.
Speaker 5: Don't you think you owe it to, the fans to the organization to give it a run to GET a i won't say generational because that word's thrown around, too much but the next two quarterback classes seem to be, Really, good like don't you think that eventually you got to make?
Speaker 6: That, call no not as not from a. PLAYER'S perspective, i mean the other part about this is you can always go into a draft and trade away not only your first round pick if you want to, trade up but trade away your next. Year's draft if you have that player, in mind you're gonna have to make heavy moves and have to make. Heavy sacrifices, but again for the here and, the NOW there's i can't tell you with a. Straight face as, A player i'm sitting, there going let's go suck.
Speaker 3: This year as, A player.
Speaker 5: I agree i agree as, a player iry's more owner, mentality though You know i'm.
Speaker 6: Up here, oh yeah and the, owner, like hey the, long term. We're good we're good in the. Long term, let's crash crash. And burn this is prideful, organization, now.
Speaker 3: Yeah but you can crash and burn, with dignity Like Starting.
Speaker 6: Mason rudin that wouldn't be dignified if you went out there and got your head. Beat in what are you? Talking about?
Speaker 5: Fair enough before, We, go kevin did you ever get A d m from the person in the comments They Said matt castle was?
Speaker 3: THEIR daddy i, sure did, okay boom so just from.
Speaker 6: HIS wife i thought it was a woman who.
Speaker 4: Said, it no NOT what i, Thought TOO but i guess there was. A guy but he doesn't have, social media so he had to use His wife's instagram to reach out. To me and we talked back and forth a.
Speaker 8: Little bit send me. His address we're good.
Speaker 5: To, go okay so We'll get castle to sign. The, jersey sweet we'll get it out next week and then we have one other one.
Speaker 6: To do many know what'd you say? Last week but you were going to say Something DIFFERENT.
Speaker 5: Now i went with what. You Said matt castle. Is Gorgeous matt castle is a. Gorgeous, man YEAH so i do have a lot OF and i gotta say people. Came through there were a lot. Of, them uh picking number one. Through, thirteen.
Speaker 6: Uh let's go with lucky, number seven, all, right, one, two, three, four five.
Speaker 5: Six Seven matt castle is a gorgeous human who is to go to Podcasts with Bobby's. Phenomenal empire, We know I'll Take zach love we, SEE you i. See you if You, message kevin we will also get You A matt. CASTLE signed i don't even know what team is. GONNA be i got like a couple of at the house that are like the yeah yeah from so we'll get him to. Sign them we'll ship them.
Speaker 8: Both, out okay do we know what we're Given the his Name is lucas by, the Way. In germany the.
Speaker 6: First guy we know what we're.
Speaker 3: Giving, him yeah as Far as, jersey, WAS yeah i GOT to i Got two.
Speaker 6: Castle ones but we don't know.
Speaker 8: WHICH team i, was, saying, no, No no we're gonna have to find.
Speaker 6: That out they're oping.
Speaker 5: A closet i would have to bed, every Night so i'll just take one of those that wear The.
Speaker 8: Got bobby sweat, and, yeah, yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah so Bobby's. Per yes thank you guys.
Speaker 5: For being a part of the.
Speaker 6: Show today we really.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you please share this podcast with your friends and please please, we'll comment we may give away.
Speaker 6: More jerseys.
Speaker 3: Who knows thank you.
Speaker 5: Very Much He's, matt castle Kick off, Kevin Producing brandon ray doing all. The Video I'm, Bobby bones who've had lots.
Speaker 3: To say thank you guys for you.
Speaker 6: Next week.
Speaker 1: Lots to Say With bobby Bones And matt castle is a production OF the nfl And. iHeart podcasts for more Podcasts, from iHeartRadio Visit the, iHeartRadio App, apple podcasts or wherever you get. Your podcasts