Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, ba fam, I have been waiting to tell you, guys. I have been sitting on this news forever. But for the first time in Brand Ambition history, we are going live, y'all. We are going to be live from Newark, New Jersey. It is all happening October tenth at six pm. If you want to get tickets now, tickets are limited. We picked the best venue. It's a historic black owned bookstore in Newark, but seating is limited. This is going to be an intimate evening with me and Tiffany live in person. It may be the only chance y'all get I'm not gonna lie to see us together live in twenty twenty four, so please come get your tickets. We want to make sure that the crowd is packed with true be a family. Okay, So if you want to get tickets, run, don't walk. Run to Brown Ambition podcast dot com to get the link right there and let us know that you're coming. Tag us, send us your receipts, send us your order. Maybe we'll send you some BA wag. We'll have some BA swag at the event. Even we are going to be celebrating nine years of the show, y'all. Nine years. We're like geriatric podcasters in the very best way. But we cannot wait to see y'all in Newark. So go ahead Brown Ambition Podcast dot Com to get your tickets to see me and Tiffany live for Brown Ambition Live in Newark, New Jersey. It's all going down. Like I said October tenth, get your tickets again at Brown Ambition Podcast dot Com.
Speaker 2: Hey hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're bread. Take us there, take us Ambition Ambition, Ambition, Ambition Ambition, Hey, Mandra how you doing.
Speaker 1: Hey right now? Every day is a little different. Every day is a little different day. It's a Satin day. I feel like I'm like the last This is our the last school district in America. To go back to school in New York. It's very like, it's very quintessential, like what you see and how Mark movies. I feel like, yeah, we Labor Day, Yeah, same Mummer's over.
Speaker 2: The after Labor Day. Yep, very quintessential. I didn't know that other people didn't get seasons. When I was a kid, I was great, you're gonna put on your fag jacket for back to school?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was in Cali for like a week visiting some friends in Silicon Valley just because that's where they live. I'm not recommending it as a tourist destination. It's not exactly the most exciting, but we did get to like go to see Uosmite and stuff. But anyway, the kids, yeah, the schools there, it is kind of weird. I'm just like, oh, so it's just hot and sunny like every day. It's just the way y'all live. But it was exciting here because well, I'm kind of a masochist, we know, so I sometimes make self sabotaging decisions. But I don't think this, but sometimes I'm like, it could be a self sabotage or it could be brilliant. So we got back from California the night before school started. Before I went on the trip, I'd like put everything that I was going to need for his backpack in a pile and like in a bag, and I was like, this will be where I'll find it. And it turned out fine. He was always going to be freaking out a little bit, yeah, and he did, like we kind of almost we tried to drag him to the bus stop, but he was not ready. So just picture me and my husband like, I've got my little back to school sign that I've been using every year for him and his backpack, and like Enrique's you know, like half carrying him, half dragging him, and I've got the sign in his backpack. And we're like, come on, we're gonna go to the bus, and he's like, no, I don't want to go. And then the school bus just comes zoom and pie. Yeah, And I was like, well, look there's our you know, our neighbor's kid is over there, like, oh, look at so and so and I look at them. I look at the window, and so and so is looking like he's being sent to a piece.
Speaker 2: But you can't.
Speaker 1: He's not doing me anyway. So he's just like save yourself. But yeah, he's he's in. He's my big kindergartener. Now it's been an emotional Yeah, it's been an emotional like week. But at least forget at least we're doing it now. We're not like you know what I mean, like where you're dreading the new changes and stuff, but I am, uh, I'm trying to delay the inevitable, I guess. But I got a phone call you guys that I didn't.
Speaker 2: Expect to get from tivity. So we have some I don't want to say call it big news.
Speaker 1: But what do you mean You're not gonna call it big news?
Speaker 2: It is, But I feel like big news sometimes sounds like good news. I don't know if there's bad news anyway. I know they're like, yes, it's news.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: I've decided that this is my last year doing Brown Ambition, So and mission continues because it is more than just us individually. It's this beautiful collective that Mandy and I created. But I I mean, I'll still be here, hopefully I'll be honest a guest, you know, but as far as a regular co host, I'm not going to be that anymore. And while I was away, I'm you know, Mandy and I were, like, I said, we're friends of real life. So we talked on the phone and I guess I was in Martha's venue at that time. Remember I had to go to that event thing and you know, and i'm it's going for a walk and Mandy and I talked and I kind of knew then because we had a guest on our show or guests, and they kind of, well, I kind of they shared what it looked like when their podcast went to the next level. And if I'm being candid, it's like the hard work that Mandy does and I thought, I don't have the capacity to commit in that way. And honestly it's been like that for a while. And it's not fair, you know, it's not And you know, Mandy has been like such a soldier, but I'm like she shouldn't have to be, you know, like this podcast could really explode if the full capacity was given to it. And I feel like they're you know, in the beginning, you know who don't know what podcasts were, not me, you know, me and man, it were just like this thing sounds fine, okay, And that's the energy I've been able to maintain a keep. But quite honestly, this podcast has become a business, you know, not in a bad way, in a great way, but it requires a level of commitment that I just can't make. And now it's gone from like, oh, this is a fun project that we're doing to like, now I'm actually holding us back, you know, like Mandy won't say that, I'll say it for her.
Speaker 1: I am, I'll say it in different ways.
Speaker 2: I'm holding us back, you know, not intentionally, not you know, not just because you know, like, as as the budget needs to twist and turns and grows, it is taking more and more of like like, there are some opportunities that require more of me that I want to explore, and that means I haven't even less available, and that's even less fair. So it hasn't been easy and making this choice because I really enjoy Brown Ambition, you know, like I'm not I told y'all before. I mean, I love y'all, but really it's because I get to talk to my friend. We get to hang out every week, and we get to do something pretty amazing, you know that no one else has done, Like nobody in this space is doing what we're doing, but more and more, like I said, I just feel like Tiffany, you know, like you, we've reached this pivotal point where like you are holding Brown and Bission back from growing and and it's not there. And so yeah, so I told Mandy, and it felt so terrible because I text you, like, no, I think you, I don't know if you text me or I text you. And I said, oh, let's talk about Brown and Bisson tomorrow because tomorrow was a Saturday. So Mandy was like, which was the worst.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've been planning our wedding, how it felt like it was a jilted bride. Oh but no, No, there's the timing, y'all. If you haven't realized, it is September now, and every September it's our anniversary because we launched the show around this time nine years ago now, which is a long time as a podcaster. It's sort of like saying, you started your blog in two thousand and six, two thousand and five. So anyway, twenty fifteen we launched, and it's been nine years, so I was very excited. I had lots of I have lots of big ideas that are different now, but they're still there. For brand Ambition in twenty twenty five, and I wanted to do our first live event, and we still are doing it, unless Tiffany, no, I'm still doing it.
Speaker 2: I don't do that, Okay, don't do that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, as I was planning this live show and getting sponsors and stuff, and you know, wanting to like do a proper Brown Ambition tour and all of that. You know, I'm trying not to sound like a don't feel bad for me. I'm trying not to sound like a jilted lover, like a jilted groom or bride. I don't know who I am in this situation. Some days I do feel like brown ambition bride, but mostly like but yeah, bride and groom and wedding planner and all that. But you know, you can always tell when, at least if you have a very strong, insecure attachment style like I do, you can tell when someone's about to.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: It was so I felt so terrible because we were texting and it was late, so it was like maybe like eleven or something, and I said, I forget you were texting something about something and then I don't even if it was brown and bish lated just chit chat texting. And then I was like, oh, I was trying to keep it light, like let's talk about Brida mission tomorrow, and You're like sure.
Speaker 1: And then you were like well, because it was in a text which reads like can we chat, which is exactly what you say before you dump somebody or before you quit your job, you know, like I've been around the blog long, oh, like.
Speaker 2: And then Mandy was like huh and then she text me back like maybe like ten minutes later. It was like you're not you're not dubbing me. I you wait, wait, And she went through a.
Speaker 1: Whole internal dialogue yes to the house.
Speaker 4: And I said and then I didn't text back because like, I what she was saying, because normally I'd be like, man, manny, now, girl, I just want to talk to you about whatever.
Speaker 1: You couldn't reassure me because you're not a liar, yes.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I didn't want to be like, oh, everything, So I just was like, well, it's late, maybe she'll think I fell asleep. That's exactly I was in the bed looking at the ceiling like I don't because I'm like, I don't want to have this conversation now it's so late and I can't text it. That's crazy. I actually really wanted to see you in person, but you were doing some traveling and I just was like, I don't want it to I knew I wanted to do yeah, yeah, I wanted to stay to the end of the year. So I didn't want to keep pushing it, pushing it. I wanted to have plenty of time to talk with you, to talk through it with our with our listeners. And so I was like, if I wait till I see Mandy in person, it might be another month and that's not fair. So I just said, if you know exactly, that's what I was thinking. I was like, I can't do that. I'm gonna do the live event, but I can't do it at the live event. So the next day I was such a chicken because I did not call Mandy right away.
Speaker 1: I still had to call you.
Speaker 2: I know you did, because I was like, out.
Speaker 1: Of my misser rate. Now it's me. Now I know you've seen it.
Speaker 5: And I know you know.
Speaker 1: I was scared.
Speaker 2: Not scared that Mandy was gonna I was scared because I just I didn't want to disappoint my friend. Honestly, that's what I was thinking. I was like, because one, Mandy, you were always kind, so I knew you weren't going to be like, ah, I hate you. I was more so afraid of just disappoint and hurting you. That's what I just kept thinking. I was like, oh, man, I don't want to hurt Mandy. And I mean, like I said, you've heard me say this over and over. Not to draw passed away. I didn't have any desire to do anything, but I came back to Brown ambition because Mandy was here. That was it. And you know, you said something to me that like broke my heart a little bit, like have you hated it all this time? I'm like, no, not at all, Like I've not hated honestly, I've loved Brown Ambition, you know. And then you were like, are you leaving because of me? I'm like, honestly, Mandy, I stayed because of you. Like if if if there was no Mandy in Brown Abison, Drew would passed away and I'd be like, girl, bye, I would there would be no Brown Ambition. I don't even know if I would have told you. I think I just would have been like, anyway, bye. You know that last episode that you heard, that's it. Like literally I stayed because of you, and now I am leaving for me, you know, And quite honestly, I know that what Brown Ambition requires, I'm not able to give it, and it would be unfair to, like, you know, be this like dead weight that you're dragging along, you know, because Mandy has so many amazing, amazing ideas about like what can make the podcast better, like how we can serve y'all better, like and they're amazing. I thought to myself. This is all Mandy. You know, she doesn't need me. You know, she's going to be capable of doing these things on her own. And so you know, y'all prove that when I was away after my husband passed away, that you're here for Mandy just as much me because you were here and listen, if anything, we got an uptick, you know. So that was one. But then also too, like I said, my friend deserves to have the podcast that she wants to because Mandy won't say it, but she bends to make sure it's convenient for me. And that's not fair, you know, like everything is like, okay, let's do it because this is more convenient for Tiffany. And this is more convenient for Tiffany. I mean, this woman was gonna come all the way to Nowork to tape live every week. That's crazy. I was like, no, enough, all right, crazy it is. I was like, no, you deserve to have ease and for it to be to evolve around you. You deserve to have this business revolve around what's best for you, the vision that you see and that's it. And so I'm excited for that part for you. And we're sharing this because it's I'm here all year, and obviously i'll be back, you know, I'll back to be a guest or whatever, and I'm here all year. But I wanted that I wanted to talk through with you, so we wanted to do this. Because I thought.
Speaker 1: She wanted to do it. I did not.
Speaker 2: Well, here's why, because I think one that.
Speaker 1: Would think I'm ready to be this vulnerable yet, but here it's happening. Like I do feel very self conscious of how like I mean, Tiffany, like we taught the day that you told me, I remember, I was like, I gotta go, and I came back because it was just, you know, too much to process. I was literally blowing up.
Speaker 2: First of all, I heard real saying are you okay, Mommy, and my heart broke. I was like, oh my.
Speaker 5: God, the baby.
Speaker 1: Second, Mommy is trying not to cry as I was blowing up. Balloon's no. But it's it's just like it's such a monumental shift, and there's so much like I think the last time you and I talked a day or two ago, I was on this like I was very optimistic. I still am. That part is still there. But today's one of those days where I'm just like not, I'm sad and that's okay.
Speaker 2: But can I just tell y'all, like what Mandy texts me, this is the mark of what a good friend like Mandy, you texted me something that just after I called you and you were like, we could talk later, you said, because I knew that it was a lot obviously, you said something that just said, this is why you know, like this is why you're my friend. You wrote me right away back and you said, I'm okay, I want to talk more, but of course I love you and I want you to be happy. I'm just so sad it's okay, and I don't know there could have been a more perfect response, because it was like you gave me the permission to just like show up. This was you created a safe space that I could tell you honestly how I was feeling, but then also too that you can honestly tell me how you're feeling, like this is sad, you know, but not make me feel bad about like you were weaponizing your sadness, you know, you were just like just letting you know that, like you know, but I love you and I'm happy for you, And I thought, I don't know that there could be a more perfect text, and you know you are just like, you know, it's so crazy, but you have been like this constant in my life for the last you know, basically ten years, you know, and our relationship and friendship has just grown too, you know, more deeply into one of the safest spaces I have, you know, and I just thank you for that that, like you know so much, we have lived through so much. I started this podcast. We were literally both of us single. I think we're dating. I don't know if I was Angel, I don't even remember if I was Adanerelle, but both single. There was no kids, no loss, no just two single girls who were like, let's do this thing called a podcast that wasn't even a thing yet. And we've lived so much life in the last nine years, nine plus years, and I just yes, I think the next nine I'm just just really grateful to have a friend like Mandy, because not a lot of people would have responded like that, but I knew that this was a safe space to come to you and just be like here's where I am. Nothing happened, like honestly, I'm sharing this, and I know Mada didn't want as much but I wanted you guys to hear that it is possible to be in partnership with someone and partnership to for lack of a better word, breakup and it not be because she lied, I lied, you cheated, whatever it's like. Sometimes it's just that you know that one I recognize that I'm holding Brada as an entity back, but also too, I recognize that I'm holding myself back. There's some things I want to do that I need to create space for myself. So nothing has happened, you know, like something has happened, but nothing negative has happened, you know, And so I wanted I wanted you as the audience to hear and see like what like healthy communication looks like in business partnership, business partnership that has a friend component. It's not perfect. We're both sat This is an end of an error. Although Brown and Bishon continues this this era of Tiffany and Mandy, that error is, you know.
Speaker 1: As brand Ambish co yes, because one of the things you said was when we talked to you were like, you know, part of your decision was you know, you're doing the show for me and for our friendship, and then you realize you actually don't need, which is true, you didn't need the podcast, yeah, to be friends with you? Yes, And I actually think that we'll probably see more of each other now that like physically, yes, we're recording everywhere. Yes, what is nice to just hang yeah, which we don't because if we're going to hang, like Phil got to get the show. Yeah, So, which I think is true. And our friendship is it goes way beyond. It goes way beyond the podcast. And I think that, you know, it wasn't an accident. I think there was a point in our business relationship and our friendship when we decided, like, let's make this deeper than just business, like because I think we were maybe like seventy thirty business to friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if I would say that.
Speaker 1: You know, and I think I don't know. We there's so many examples of like partnerships where you start as friends and it's like one hundred percent friends and then try to shift it ninety ten friends to business, and I think that that is a lot more challenging at the beginning. I can't say that this was part of a master plan. It's just the way that it worked out. We just started out more as partners, and now we're like more sisters. And I think that that is making it makes it it harder in some ways, yet easier in others, Like easier to accept because I have to accept it because it is your happiness, like and that's all I want, you know, But then harder because it's like I think my initial thought was, well, what like, what is Brown Ambition without me and Tiffany. I've never fantasized about Tiffany not coming back. I've never thought about it. I've never been like, wow, I really would love it to be the Mandy Show. Never. I love our Yin and Yang. I think that we have such great chemistry. I can't capture that with anybody else. I don't want to try. I'm not going to turn into Kelly Rippa trying to audition.
Speaker 2: No, you don't need no co hosts. She can just have some guests on here and then what she needs, what she wants to But I.
Speaker 1: Don't I do. And yeah, so you guys can tell me what you want from Brown Ambition, But I got no, I got I got no plans right now for BA other than it will continue. I'm just really grateful, Tiffany that you're going to stay through the end of this year, so you'll have us as long as you have us through twenty twenty four. And at the same time, like I told tiff like there was this is the year. It's certainly the year. And I haven't been like super I'm not trying to be very vague about it, but I'm just not ready to go all that into it. But this year was definitely like a burn myself to the ground kind of like you know, good old, good old Corny, you know, Phoenix kind of moment in the sense that it did feel like so much had to get broken down to be built back up this year, and I knew there was something like it just felt like a shift was coming in the positive sense or like a monumental like, oh, this is going to be something big to really change the course of my career in life. And I haven't felt like that in a few years. But in the past I've just kind of given over. I've just like given myself over to that sensation in the sense that whatever it is, I'll just try to greet it with open arms. And we don't know what it's going to be. And then so Tiffany, this news it felt like, I'm like, oh, that was it okay, And there's a lot of excitement there is because I do still have so I mean, I will never not believe in brand, ambition and all the potential that we have. But now I don't have to ask for anybody availability myself, and I don't have to go through twelve thousand back and forth scheduling emails with whatever assystem of the day.
Speaker 2: Don't movie, sorry, you're not going to go.
Speaker 3: But now I hope State farm agents are small business owners too, so they know how to help you choose personalized policies that fit your needs, like a good neighbor. State farm is there. Talk to your local agent today.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, ba fam We are going live y'all. We are going to be live from Newark, New Jersey. It is all happening October tenth at six pm. If you want to get tickets now, tickets are limited. We picked the best venue. It's a historic black owned bookstore in Newark, but seating is limited. This is going to be an intimate evening with me and Tiffany live in person. It may be the only chance y'all get. I'm not gonna lie to see us together live in twenty twenty four, So please come get your tickets. We want to make sure that the crowd is packed with true be a family. Okay, so if you want to get tickets, run, don't walk. Run to Brown Ambition Podcast dot Com to get the link right there and let us know that you're coming. Tag us, send us your receipts, send us your order. Maybe we'll send you some be A swag. We'll have some BA swag at the event. Even we are going to be celebrating nine years of the show, y'all, nine years. We're like geriatric podcasters in the very best way. But we cannot wait to see y'all in Newark. So go ahead Bronambition Podcast dot com to get your tickets to see me and Tiffany live for Brown Ambition Live and New Work, New Jersey. It's all going down. Like I said October tenth, get your tickets again at Brown Ambition Podcast dot com. Yeah no, I'm just just it's so big. Do you want to share?
Speaker 2: Kind of like the business part, so like what does it look like? So partnership dissolving? Typically? Oh, I forgot to go ask Tony Mandy, you know I remember, so I know It's like that's what I be talking about, right, So, partnership dissolving, like I've done this book I've done where I've bought out a partner and literally you assess the company and you agree on the assessment or don't. You're going an assessment company at least, and then you can purchase out the other person whatever. But I told Mandy, I didn't want to do that here. You know that, I believe you know, like there's the workload of Brown Ambishon has always been uneven, but now more so than ever. And then I spoke with a friend of mine who also was in a podcast with her best friend, and but theirs was different. And then they started off friends friends friends first and then added in the business and she, like me, had another business that just that business start to eat a more capacity. And she just was like, you know what, I love my bestie and I just can't do both because I'm being unfair now. So I asked her what she did, and I thought that that felt fair to me and that I'm just going to sign over my Brown Ambision rights to Mandy, like right now Mandy and I are fifty to fifty. But I told Mandy like I'm going to sign over my rights. It's not a buyout. You know that Mandy doesn't have to purchase anything for me. I feel like it's the right thing to do, to be like, Okay, my half now becomes your half. Mandy will own it one hundred percent, and then after this year, you know, like we Mandy and I were actually talking about the legal ramifications, like she's like, do I need my own attorney? And I said, well, I've done it before where we can have an attorney represent the business and not me or Mandy, and then we'll be like if you should think about this, you should think about this. And so we're deciding if that's the route that we're going to go in because I have an attorney and I want her to kind of share, like if that's something that she feels that she can do or something that we should do, and if not, then we'll figure out something else. But ideally, because it will save money for everybody that having an one attorney that represents the business, and because essentially I'm not fighting for anything, I want to be able to say I just want to sign something that says BROWNO vision now.
Speaker 5: Uncoupling, yes, constantly, Yes, but there are some things right, so it would be like I mean, to the end of the year, it's be like, okay, the last revenue split, you know, might be like December thirty first, you know, but then you're.
Speaker 1: Like January because we don't get paid for December until.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean. Like so even those type of things, you know, And then too, what happens with podcasts.
Speaker 1: I can get rid of our big bank account. I can get my online only bank account. Yes, you can't want to get because I hit our bank.
Speaker 2: I know, I hate our big two. But what you can we also too what happens is then, you know, like the podcast, you don't just make money on the podcast off of the current episodes. There are past episodes that might generate. So I've decided that, like regardless, I told Mandy you could continue like one, all the old episodes continue to air because we own Brown Ambition, you know, like there's some podcasts that are created on a network already that's not so like Mandy and I started this before there was even networks, I believe, so she will own it. But also too, she gets to own the back blog category, so if it makes money, she will get to keep it January first, moving on, even though my voice is there, and then we'll have to decide. I guess like name you some in likeness as far as I don't know what that looks like. But this is what an attorney is here for. So that's what I've just decided to just basically give Mandy my half. Stop taking any payments at the end of this year, and even know like additional payments will happen as a result of like my voice and things, but she will be able to keep that moving forward. That's what I feel feels like fair for all the work that she's put in. And I just I mean, you know, it's easier Brandna Bisham does well, but it's not you know, multiple seven figures and I'd be like, wait a minute minute, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: But now, yeah, And I mean like we've been cashing in on the profits. It's not like there's a war chest that we have. Yes, yeah, because it was always like supplemental fun money for both of us, right, Yes, but I mean I'm taking it all in. I'm definitely yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to getting all the legal shit behind us because we don't usually spend a lot of time on legal stuff, and I think this is the only potential area where like, if there was ever going to be a contentious moment, it would be like during this kind of dissolution, what do you call it? Dissolving of a partnership. But even when I think when I say that, I'm like, well, that's just other people. That's not me and Tiff, you know, Like I feel like we're gonna have the kind of like post BA relationship where I don't like, to be honest, I don't think that it feels right to me that you wouldn't make any residuals off of our existing back catalog, like not that it's like a movie where you can. That doesn't feel one hundred percent right to me. Like I think some kind of percentage of earnings moving forward makes sense for your legacy and your nine years. I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Get to your point that, yes, this is why. What I love about this is that you get to see real time Manny, and I haven't figured it out.
Speaker 1: I just know, great, to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then we can we'll talk through it. And like this is why having kind of like an attorney in the middle, because what does that even mean and how long? And these are like questions. I don't think it's going to be contentious. Honestly, Many and I have worked together for nine years and it's never been contentious because we always come from a place of like we want what's best for both of us. No one is here like you see here. I'm like, you can just have it all. It's just like that doesn't feel fair. We've always navigated from that place of like, wait a minute, sounds cute, but how does that have was that for you? And so I'm not worried about the contentious, you know, because I.
Speaker 1: Just don't want to downplay your significance and I think that you're being very humble. But at the same time, BA is the two of us, and yeah, I've done like the technical side for a long time and negotiated with networks and like strategy and you know everything everything, and it's true, but no, but there is no show. There hasn't. It's been the kind of show where you know, without you, and there's been months where I haven't been able to record and you've shown up for me and carried that and anyway. To me, your value is immense and always has been. I do I think this is one of those like reflective moments where yeah, we've been like it's been more one sided for a while, but I really enjoyed it, Like I thought that was my superpower and that was what made the relationship work, you know. And I don't want anyone who's listening to feel like, oh, Mandy was like not valuing herself for like was being like there was I never and I still don't feel like I was ever taken advantage of or that it was unfair. It's just that it was what we needed, Like we needed me to stand up in order for the show to happen. It wasn't going to be you. It had to be me, and I was happy to, you know, to do that and still am and to.
Speaker 2: Be fair the less, Like, we talked recently about paying you additionally for the work, you know, so that was one of the things that Mandy and I talked through. She's like, well, if I'm going to do the heavier lift, which he's been doing for a while, you know, what does that look like for me to be paid because normally it's kind of like, you know, we make money, the network takes whatever they're going to take, and then the rest land in our arm our bank account, and then Mandy and I kind of know how much needs to be left over and paid and whatever was there was like here's a fifty fifty split, you know, but then it was like, well, what if she can get additional pay because of the extra work, and I said, okay, So we agreed on what that pay was going to be, and then it's like, then what's left over after that? There could be a fifty to fifty split because I wanted to, like, you know, even then, I'm like, you know, what does that look like to make this more fair? So we still our aim now is now that you know, we and you might have some ideas. I mean, I don't know, maybe some of you guys have gone through like a like an amical full uncoupling with a business partner, but we would love like every show was not going to be about this, but certainly we're going to check in regularly just because if nothing else, this is a learning lesson for you and us, and uh yeah, because we're still figuring it out. As you can see, some stuff is just coming up now. I'm like, oh, I didn't know you felt that way. All that's time and I just I am grateful for the opportunity to learn out loud, you know.
Speaker 1: And I will let it happen, even though it's a bit more vulnerable. I know you do though, oh thanks, No, I mean it's just like we can, we'd have these conversations, but I do think that at the end of the day, it's our decision. So as much as I love ba fam like and I will like you're gonna be it's gonna be great, and you're gonna I'm excited about what's to come and all of that, I'm just like it feels a little bit like letting someone into your this little bubble that we've created this safe space where we talk about business stuff on the backs and we do it very collegially, yeah, respectfully, but it's yeah, I don't want to it's a little under the microscope. But we'll see how this goes and how you guys take it. And I was thinking, like, man, this is like you're hearing by a lot of podcast hosts who are like either leaving the show or taking breaks or the you know, co hosts are leaving. And I feel like I've been hearing that more with the black female co host led shows that I listen to, and I was like, oh, we're so different.
Speaker 2: We love it, we love.
Speaker 1: I'm not an idgit like you know. It was like, you know, it doesn't it makes sense. It's exciting. A change is gonna come always, That's the one thing I know in life. And yeah, I'm just grateful the time we have left. I want to focus on that. We have a hole. Hopefully by the time you know, you close out the show, we'll have our first black female president. What a wo out as if we had like a huge role in that. But a lot of time to go out. Yeah, I think, well, should we leave it there to take a break and maybe come back or is more to say?
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I think we've said all that I have to say.
Speaker 1: But okay, I'm trying not to think of how many shows are left. Just don't think about it. We'll let you guys know when the last day for Tip's going to be. We haven't even told the network officially yet, so they probably are interested in this as well. But you know, that's how we roll. And I'm gonna be right back via VAM.
Speaker 2: We're back. I feel like I don't even feel like broad Boost. I know, Oh, I mean it's okay.
Speaker 1: To just end on a very demure, very mind.
Speaker 2: I know, well, I for one am excited, okay, And now it's time for booster break up boost, break up boost break Are you going to boost? Are you gonna break? What you're gonna do, what you're gonna take? Can I go first? I'm gonna do a brown boost because I was Honestly, I'm excited to see Mandy untethered, Mandy how she flies for real, because y'all don't know, Mandy is a freaking beast, like a business beast behind the scenes. I have seen this woman builder. I mean, what Mandy has built in six months would take me five years, and it's taken me by like for real, like I am, there are only two people who I admire their ability to execute that. I'm like in awe of and it's my friend Brandis and Mandy. That's literally it. Everybody else I'm like, yeah, girl, that's all right. No, Like Mandy is a master executor. I don't think y'all understand. So I am so excited to see what you do, Mandy. When you have the full autonomy to execute how you want, when you want, without any tethering. So my brown boost is that, like, honestly, I can't just wait to watch and see because I've seen what you did with Mandy money Makers, I've seen what you've done in your own business. I've seen what you've done when you work for someone, you are like such a powerhouse, and now you get to do it your way. I'm just like, I'm excited, thank you.
Speaker 1: And to the few people that I've told, it seems to be the overwhelming reaction is that they start to giggle get excited, like what do you Why is everyone so happy about?
Speaker 2: Because I know you.
Speaker 1: I think it's like, yeah, it's more about the excitement for me, and I'm like, why is nobody else as anyway? Okay, so my brown boost, well it's going to be a brown I'm gonna make it a brown break because something something that I posted before I went on vacation kind of took off and went a little bit viral, and it just reminded me of the power of research and data to really like and I know that I know that our experiences be a fan like the stuff that we talk about about being women of color, you know, in business and in corporate like those experiences are are very shared, and like we understand that, but at the end of the day, having our voices and our anecdotes is clearly not enough, like having our lived experiences. We already know because the world has shown us how they feel about our voices and if they want to listen to them, and when they want to listen to them. And you don't have to look too far to see what has been happening post twenty twenty with the disinvestment de investments, the divestment of the investment that companies were making into diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and all that is kind of starting to crumble. And I think that we were not surprised. We're not surprised, let's be honest, but I wanted to. I highlighted some data that had been published like almost a year ago, and I was just flabbergastic because I learned about it through the research for my book. I'm working on a chapter right now about the pet to threat phenomenon, which we have talked about. Essentially, the idea that black women or women basically any minority is like they're really happy to have us when we first art and it's like, oh my gosh, this is gonna be great. We'll give you this, we'll give you that. And then you arrive and you start using your influence and accumulating power, and then you become very threatening, and then there there is an effort to get rid of you or to defund you. So anyway, so in this chapter that I'm writing, I came across this paper from the Harvard Kennedy School, which is a policy research sort of like think tank through Harvard, and they came out with a study last last fall that just chilled me to the bone and it really spoke to I think, a lived experience for so many women of color, especially black women. So the study showed that. And I don't have the numbers write in front of nabe will post in the show notes for you guys. But essentially it was a very it was a huge study of like thousands of employees at a very large consulting firm. So I'm thinking like PwC, Deloitte, one of these, Mackenzie one of these huge ones. And they looked at elite entry level workers, so people joining as elite firm but didn't have a lot of experience, and they followed them for about six years, and they found that the only group, when they broke it down by gender, by race and ethnicity, the only group that was negatively impacted by an increase in white co workers were black women. And you know what, the study didn't particularly speak about the increase or what happens to black women when they're on teams with white women in leadership roles or in management roles. It didn't dig that deep into it. But I was just so blown away by the overwhelming response on my post on TikTok and ig, where almost every commenter came there to talk about a toxic white female manager that they had had, And I had to go back to read the report because I'm like, did they mentioned white women? And it wasn't there? But I'm like I was. I was overwhelmed by that response and a little bit shaken by it because even in writing this chapter in my book, when I go back, I'm living through reliving these like stories of my own overcoming sort of toxic management and the two toxic managers that I had we're white women. And I didn't really like, I hadn't really clocked that. I hadn't thought, Okay, this is a dynamic that is not just something that I'm experiencing. But yeah, this research really hit a nerve and it made me even more. It made me even more excited to be writing this about this in my book. And it also, like I said, it chilled me because I'm just like, we have people have to know this, Like, yes, we have known it and clearly, like the you know, the commenters, like clearly you guys are living this and you understand it. And there's this frustration like, of course this is what the data shows. We're not surprised, et cetera. But I want to be sure that this data doesn't just stay in our hands and it shouldn't just be important to us. You know. There were a few white women HR managers who commented and said, I'm taking this data back to my team, and I'm like, that's what we need, because this is not a problem that we can fix alone. One if we complain about it, which I tried, that didn't break out great for me. Read the book. I'll tell you more. When we complain about that, then we are often we can be penalized. We put our careers at risk. The people with power are not us in this situation. In large, in most cases, so yeah, I think a brown brown boost for the response that we got and the like the cathartic kind of moment on the internet we had together with that post, but a break for the idea that we need this kind of data to justify our experiences. And I just hope that this is like this is I'm going to be sharing more because there's way more than this that doesn't get enough attention. And I'll keep sharing it. And thank y'all to everyone who like shared your experiences. And I'm really sorry. I'm unpacking my own shit too.
Speaker 2: I know. I saw it and I was like wow, I saw like because it went viral, and I thought, this is where you shay and shine, you know, like we forget that Mandy's a bona fide journalist, you know, and so I was just like wow, wow, So thank you for your service. Oh you're welcome, ah rod a vision. All right, y'all, if you enjoyed this show, if you you know, I don't know, you know, we'd love to hear back from you.
Speaker 1: I don't I mean, just been a while.
Speaker 2: One day at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all we asking of you. So yeah, until next show, Until next show, well Friday. You know we have our baqa. We'll see you air. Bye bye