Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app. Final hour on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan That's Dan Patrick Show. Kevin Mala major League Baseball Network analysts will join us. Coming up a little bit, Rangers over the Rays, Twins over the Blue Jays, Diamondbacks over the Brewers, Phillies over the Marlins. Baseball later today and tonight, so we'll talk to Malar about that big game coming up this weekend, the Donald's Cowboys San Francisco forty nine ers. We'll hear from Michael Parsons and Jerry Jones. In a moment. Your phone calls are welcome. Operator Tyler standing by, say good morning to those watching on Peacock. That's our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country. Paul, you brought this up a while ago and we may see this happen, and that is ticket insurance to make sure that you're going to be able to see a star. Now, we brought this up with the NBA. Marvin took his son a Christmas Day game, not sure if Steph Curry was going to play. You should be able to take out insurance just in case. Now, it might be an extra charge, but then you're guaranteed of getting something back instead of watching Steph Curry watch the game. Messi is supposed to be playing in Chicago, and I think that they've come up with a way for you to get insurance because he hasn't played. There's there's talk that he may not play the rest of the season. But you know, you have sixty one thousand fans who brought bought tickets for the game and they're expecting to see Messi and Inner Miami. But he's got a leg injury and you're not sure. So the incentive a two hundred and fifty dollars account credit towards new memberships for the twenty twenty four season, or a fifty dollars account credit for anyone unable to use the new member credit. So there's at least some movement there, and I wonder if other teams are going to follow suit with this, just to give you the opportunity to for a little bit extra, I want some Star insurance certing with the NBA with load management, although Kawhi is not quite sure about load management. But I don't know if you're paying a lot to go see Kawhi Leonard anymore. But I think that this makes a lot of sense for the fans to be able to go, all right, what's it going to cost me? I want to make sure Steph Curry is going to play, or Lebron is going to play, or if I'm going to watch MESSI play soccer, if I'm going to go to a football game that Patrick Mahomes is going to play. I don't know, you know how you do it, but I do think it's a great idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Poul, and I'm reading over the story. It's a Chicago Fire football club. They benefit either way because they're basically giving you a credit to spend on them down the road. Like if I'm going to buy a season ticket, you get two hundred and fifty dollars off next year. So but you know, it's better than nothing for a fan I think that's what they're looking for.
Speaker 1: Yees Seton.
Speaker 4: I agree with the insurance part of it for sure, there's no doubt about that. I don't really care about the Chicago fire winning either way or benefiting either way. My problem is Lionel Messi has been day to day this entire time. I wonder why astro turf no, oh no, although it could be astro turf for some of those cases. What if the leg injury is more serious and MLS just isn't saying anything because they don't want to run on.
Speaker 5: All of these tickets.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not that much of a conspiracy theory considering they're like, well, he's day to day, we don't know.
Speaker 5: He might be there tomorrow, but he might not.
Speaker 1: He might not.
Speaker 4: He might be there this weekend, but he might not. All of a sudden, these ticket values are going to plummet. People spent thousands of dollars on these tickets. Yeah, just to see this dude. And as soon as you can watch go back any game that he's played. In the minute he is subbed off the field, the stands empty, they're completely they're they're even home in Miami. You could just see people flooding out. They don't want to watch the game anymore. What's going to happen when you find out that, well, he's probably going to be out for the next month.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a report, or at least a speculation he might not play the rest of the season. Correct, So I think you bring up a really valid point that that could be consumer fraud. Well he's day to day, yeah, by MLS. Well, we don't know. We don't know when he's going to come back. Was the funny thing about leg injuries.
Speaker 4: You're just not sure, but they're they're very sure on a timeline for almost everybody else but MESSI.
Speaker 5: It's like, we can't really tell for sure.
Speaker 4: Feels fraudulent, potentially potentially, potentially fraudule, potentially Yeah, absolutely all right, Uh, poll question for the final hour is going to be watched? Is MLS rot.
Speaker 6: Kidding?
Speaker 3: Potentially fraudulent? Good idea for a band name as well.
Speaker 2: By the way, ladies and gentlemen for Emo, potentially fraudulent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, opened for right to Spring earlier this right, But do you come him up like I always think about a bar or a band.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like I spent a little too much time thinking if I had a bar, what would I call it? Or if I had a band, what would I call it? Or if it's a boat. Yeah, like I do think of those things.
Speaker 7: I like.
Speaker 4: I get a big kick out of hair salon names for some reason, like the main event, like.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they really got it. I love that. That cracks me up.
Speaker 1: Hair today, gone tomorrow, dying to cut?
Speaker 8: Yes, Todd, I have a doctor friend who has not on call, knot on call.
Speaker 7: I thought, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's his boat.
Speaker 7: That's his boat's name, not on call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, when he's not having.
Speaker 7: To do his doctor stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, do you guys do that? Definitely like a bar? What would you call your bar?
Speaker 5: I do that stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: I never write him down. I just think of him. I go, that's good. I like that, and then I forget what they are.
Speaker 6: Yes, mar if I had a boy band, I will call it hot.
Speaker 1: Lunch, hot lunch okay okay.
Speaker 6: And then all my fans they would be called the lunch ladies.
Speaker 1: They are they be the lunch and nets. Okay, Okay. That brought it to a scratch.
Speaker 3: But if you had a bar, any name you think of like stumble in, I say, there's forty of them in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, or come on in.
Speaker 3: Come on in.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's got to be eight of those.
Speaker 2: Right yeah. Or the office is another one. So when you know, you say to your wife or your girl, where are you going, I'm going to the office. You know you have a bar called the office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there was one at Northern Arizona University and Flagstaff is called the library.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: The rumor was where were you lasting at the library? Yep, I don't know if that's true. I think that's what was there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we had a library in the town I grew up and went out of business, but you can go get some drinks at the library.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, there was a bar and these hard where I grew up, and it was called my sister's place.
Speaker 6: Okay, where're you going my sister's place?
Speaker 1: Taking the kids? I'm going to miss all right.
Speaker 2: Let's see Aaron Rodgers pushing for that return. He spoke yesterday to Pat McAfee, and he likes talking about his rehabbing.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm trying to inspire people to look at recovery in a different way and hopefully through this process, you know, I can get back, you know, went safe and right for me, and also inspire people to look at this injury as not kind of a death sentence for a career, which at one point it really was, Yes, but to look at just another injury that's that people can come back from and thrive and and come back quicker than used to be expected or thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, now he seems on a mission to prove this type of modern medicine and how it can be beneficial for athletes, and I'm all for that. Absolutely. Do I think he'll play again this year? I did think it depends on the Jets have the If they have the opportunity to maybe be in the playoffs, then certainly, But if not, I would not rush him to come back. But he might want to come back just to prove that this type of medicine is better than conventional.
Speaker 4: Yes, dude is trying to get his own Tommy John surgery. He wants this Achilles thing to be called the Aaron Rodgers surgery. It used to be a death sentence, but after Aaron Rodgers, well really the doctor who did it, but he's the guy who got.
Speaker 6: It, he bro.
Speaker 5: He wants to be the Aaron the Tommy John.
Speaker 1: Of Achilles of achilles.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to go in for an Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: I got Rogers.
Speaker 5: I hadn't elected Aaron Rodgers in high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing wrong with my achilles, So I just add the Aaron Rodgers surgery.
Speaker 1: Yes, Paul, here's a hypothetical.
Speaker 3: Let's say the Jets are what seven and eight with two games to go on the schedule. They finished the season at Cleveland at New England, and somehow Aaron Rodgers is cleared to play, and you're mathematically still in the playoff picture. What would you do? You're not a g I have to know the math. Let's say you need the two wins period.
Speaker 2: But then I'm going to need the Dolphins to lose two and the Bills to lose one.
Speaker 3: Right, but you're Matt you need two wins to get to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What feels like he's going to do it because he is hell bent on proving that his way is the right way you get back.
Speaker 1: On the field.
Speaker 2: Is it going to be in the team's best interest? That's the only thing that I would worry about, because I really need him next year, really need him next year. Big game coming up this weekend it's the Niners, it's the Cowboys, and that means everybody's talking about it. And here is Jerry Jones, the Cowboys owner, has some nice things to say about the forty nine ers.
Speaker 11: They are right now probably the most likely team to go in Super Bowl, but in order for them to get there, they've got to go by us, hopefully two times if that's where it falls in the playoffs. And we're in the playoffs. But the bottom line is that you're playing the best. Need the game to tell you that you're playing the best, but you need the game to show you how you stack up. Gives the best Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, the Niners most likely to go to the super Bowl, but then they have to go through Dallas, so it's sort of a compliment there. But he's still saying, I got confidence in my team. But he loves that defense there, and I'm surprised he just didn't say, Look, you know, they might be favored to go to the super Bowl, but we're a better team. I truly believe we're a better team. Here's Micah Parsons. The Cowboys start talking about the brotherly shove with the Eagles. He had this to say on the Edge with Michael Parsons podcast.
Speaker 12: I honestly just think they have the team to do to tuss Puss. We stopped the England when they try to do the same thing to us. It's all about who you have. Did Eagles have the best O line in the game, So yes, it's the cheat code. They're stoppu at it. And they have a quarterback who's squad and six hundred and he knows how to move his legs and push forward.
Speaker 6: So yes, it's od like we have to prepare to stop it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, it feels like they're going to continue to do it because it does help the offense. Now it's all about safety, and I think the Giants had a couple of players who got hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, Yeah, the Giant center and tight end got hurt on that play. They're both dealing with injuries and the coach confirmed it was the injury suffered on that play getting crunched in the pile.
Speaker 2: You'll be happy to know Michael Jordan is now worth three billion dollars. This according to Forbes Top four hundred richest people in the world. First athlete that you'll find in the list, but three billion now all of a sudden, you go into the rich guy category, not just the richest athlete. Elon Musku is number one. I guess is he still number one? Kind of screwed up Twitter?
Speaker 3: It varies. They estimate your net worth on a few They what you have today, what's liquid? What's worth of what you have?
Speaker 1: Benard or No? I think he's married to Selma Hayak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his value right there, that's gotta be at.
Speaker 5: Least one point five.
Speaker 2: Bill, Yeah, so he's easy. He's second on the list. Jeff Bezos is number three, Larry Ellison is four. Our buddy Warren Buffett is fine.
Speaker 1: Who is it?
Speaker 2: Larry Page and Sergey Brinn? Did they start Google?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I should look that up.
Speaker 1: I think, so you should google.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I'm gonna get that.
Speaker 1: Give that too, Blue Bloop.
Speaker 2: Then it's Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberger, Steve Balmer, give me your Ballmbers, Seaton, Ah, Michael Bloomberg, former mayor, Carlos Slim and family.
Speaker 1: Who else is in here?
Speaker 3: Would it be great if like slim gym Money.
Speaker 2: Francois Bettencourt Myers I think is the first woman on the list at fifteen. Michael Dell Walton family, another Walton family, another Walton family. Let's see anything else in here, anybody else that you might that's.
Speaker 1: Pretty much at the top, top twenty five. What other details do we have on Michael Geordan?
Speaker 3: So, Michael Jordan's NBA career made a total of ninety four million, most of that in the last three seasons off the court. From his various endorsements. His entire life, he's made about two point four billion dollars and it's still continuing. He gets a check, a royalty check from Nike every year. A couple of years ago, they estimated his royalty check about one hundred and ten million dollars. Forbes is putting it closer to two hundred plus million dollars per year. I checked the ghost him. He just sold his team and UH with a three billion dollar evaluation. So he's they say he's north of three billion dollars on his estimate right now.
Speaker 2: And as Seaton pointed out earlier this morning when we were talking about this, that Jordan can't spend that money because let's say, how many one hundred million dollar homes could Mic buy.
Speaker 4: Well, if if a billion dollars is is a thousand million right.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: If you had a million dollars a thousand times, that would be a billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Right, excuse me, if you had one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: So that would be he could have thirty one hundred.
Speaker 5: Thirty one hundred million dollar home.
Speaker 3: And there aren't to have many of them out there.
Speaker 4: Ye wow, Okay, thirty one hundred million dollar homes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's yeah, he's not going to spend it.
Speaker 4: I mean even a million dollar house, you would have three thousand of them, three thousand million dollar homes you would have.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have a poll off this, I talk about this. Okay, would you rather be Michael Jordan with his career everything and he's worth three billion dollars in counting or like one of the five richest humans ever where it's like one hundred and fifty million and you're more anonymous, right, So you have you can walk around. I know, you have security and you have all that stuff. But you could be worth way, way moay more than Michael Jordan, but you're anonymous by choice. Or you could have Michael Jordan and you have both accomplishments, the basketball career and the money.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean at a certain point what do you need? Like, what else can't you do? Would you rather be Ryan Reynolds or Michael Jordan right now? Moving forward, moving.
Speaker 4: Forward, Ryan Reynolds seems to be enjoying himself more. Yes, Michael Jordan is like a prisoner of his own.
Speaker 2: Ryan Reynolds has sold I think two billion dollar companies, Mint Mobile, the Gin Company, Aviation, I think maybe another one. And he's got his soccer club, married, got what three or four kids?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's killing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, went to the Jets game, was bare, leaving a blak on the radar, like nobody cared.
Speaker 2: Nobody cared that he was there. But I I would probably want to be Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 3: But Michael Jordan has both.
Speaker 2: He's financially but I don't think he can have fun the way we do. I think Mike smokes cigars, drinks tequila and plays golf. Sounds like you yeah, yeah, But I don't. I think he's he's held captive. He can't go anywhere Ryan Reynolds can.
Speaker 8: Yes, I think Michael Jordan has a lot more fun than we think. It just may not be in public. And you've got six rings and you're considered the greatest ever arguably.
Speaker 1: Care about the history you do ring. No one's looking at.
Speaker 8: Ryan Rounds like he may be the greatest actor of all time. I think there's something to be said for being the greatest. I don't think he doesn't need to be there. But imagine walking the earth knowing you're the greatest at what you do in the history of anyone that's ever done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hello you here, Fritzy. Yeah, I should understand what I'm saying. You're the greatest booker of all time of sports.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of arguments about that.
Speaker 1: Now there's only one Scott Shapiro.
Speaker 7: Yes, he's right, we're knocking back. Yeah, we're good, but it's still good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: But I would think you'd want to be a Hall of Famer and six time champion and everyone says you're the greatest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But the dude when he got into the Hall of Fame had to take a victory lap.
Speaker 5: And he's still like, you know.
Speaker 4: Writing check like canceling vendettas or something, or like, I gotta tell everybody, I'll remember how great I am. I got a ten part doctor series about how great I am. I got Like everything is this constant. It feels like a lot of maintenance for this dude to always be so great.
Speaker 9: Yes, Marta, Michael Jordan didn't starring Van Wilder, If I'm taking Ryan Reynolds that no, no, no, oh.
Speaker 6: Van w Yeah it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Does Ryan Reynolds still work as an actor? Is he's just basically a businessman?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 5: They have a new watch them call coming out? Uh Deadpool? Deadpool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the whol three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although two was not good, No, one was spectacular, one was fantastic, one was phenomenal. Yes, uh, let's take a break. Kevin Mala from the Major League Baseball Network or you know, I'm always corrected by people. They go, it's not the Major League Baseball Net, it's MLB network. It's like Golf Channel, NFL network. I get corrected all the time. I put the the there. Well, it's because I grew up in Ohio and we have the Ohio State. So I'm just saying the Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Networ're trying to be proper?
Speaker 1: Yeah, w N.
Speaker 2: Take a break back after the simply Save Home Security? What's up homes? I recommend simply save home security, and I've been doing so for over a decade. Twenty four to seven live guard protection design to help crime stop at crime in real time. Once again, it's designed to help stop crime in real time. They don't want to help crime, they want to help stop crime. That's why Simply Safe twenty four to seven Live guard protection made possible by the smart Alarm wireless indoor camera. And what they do is the smart Indoor camera, the only indoor camera that can trigger the alarm instantly, stopping intruders with a build in siren. They have a physical privacy shutter to provide protection when you need it in privacy. When you need that, install it your way, do it yourself about thirty minutes, or Simply Safe has an expert who can stop buy either way. It's easy to protect your home. For a limited time, get twenty percent off your new system when you sign up up for fast protect monitoring. Visit simply safdan dot com. There's no safe like simply Safe. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the peacock app We are wondering if you had a bar, what would you call it? Somebody suggested group therapy.
Speaker 1: That'd be good.
Speaker 2: Where are you going group therapy? Also, if you had a hair salon, what would you call it? And somebody suggested Harry styles?
Speaker 1: All right, I like that.
Speaker 2: H A I r Y styles like your hairy sid styles. Yeah, thank you, thank you for helping me with that. Seats in case you missed the second party, Joe, thank you, thank you. Speaking a joke. Kevin Malar, Majoraing Baseball Network.
Speaker 13: What is there?
Speaker 1: Buddy?
Speaker 2: Let me try that again? Speaking of a joke. Kevin Malar MLB Network analysts. He won a World Series with the Red Sox. He's on Intentional Talk all postseason long. MLB Network ares pre and postgame coverage throughout October.
Speaker 1: How are you, buddy, Danny?
Speaker 13: I'm doing good, buddy. How you doing?
Speaker 11: Pout?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. I'm doing great. Where do you want to start?
Speaker 13: Well, I'll tell you right now. It was interesting.
Speaker 14: We do our predictions immediately right, so immediately looking at these predictions, I'm three out of four. I did pick the Marlins to win over the Phillies. You know, fighting Fish played for them many years. I love what Schumacher's doing over there. I think they're a sneaky underrated club. But I'll tell you right now, Wheeler, he could be the best postseason pitcher we got going right now.
Speaker 13: He has found his rhythm on the mound with a.
Speaker 14: Power type stuff and that sweeper and just learning how to pitch, he could be devastating to the postseason.
Speaker 2: All right, help me with this sweeper craze. Yeah, okay, what is this sweeper and how different is it from a curveball?
Speaker 13: So let's let's just talk about that.
Speaker 14: I'm glad you asked because when I played, it was an uppercut. Now they call it launch angle, right, So that's just a it's a really smart.
Speaker 13: Way to act, like we're really educated on all this stuff. Sweeper is in between a curveball.
Speaker 14: The curveball has a little hump, the slider has this downward action, and a sweeper is a little bit in between. So we can call that just that combination of the curveball slider that now we have a smart word called the sweeper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we already had this. It was called the slurve. We had that before.
Speaker 13: That's what you threw in high school. Yeah, that was the hanging slur.
Speaker 14: That's why you got a headset on right now, Danny, I remember you we face each other back in the day.
Speaker 2: I thought I would buckle your knees and I and I had the Kershaw twelve six?
Speaker 13: Did you really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 13: And what happened? Let me guess you got heard and then all of a sudden the coach didn't you know?
Speaker 14: It kind of strew job and you ended up having to go into announcing or what happened?
Speaker 2: No, No, I just saw how did it take my challenge to basketball and dominate there?
Speaker 13: You do have a great jump shout? Do you sell the basketball court? Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm terrible got the best man.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 2: By the way, I was watching the documentary on Mike Veck. Yes, and have you seen the documentary that they did.
Speaker 14: So I want to watch it with my family. I know exactly about we had beck On. He's one of my favorite people in the world. He is exactly everything you want as just energy and treat people with kindness and love. I'll tell you I went back. They retired my jersey a couple summers ago and thirty years ago nineteen ninety three. I played for the Saint Paul Saints as an undrafted player, went up there in the Northern League and staff members are still there, still there from the time I was there thirty years, which tells you what they treat you amazingly and their first class. But yes, I'm excited to see remember in a Saint but I want to watch it with my family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really well done.
Speaker 2: Kevin Malar MLB network analyst, Give me the team that you think is in trouble right now.
Speaker 13: The Brewers. I love what you know. Craig Council's done up there.
Speaker 14: I think it's it's been magnificent and he doesn't get enough credit for what he's done offensively. You know, they've been a team that might be their little monkey ranch. They have enough to put together. Their starting pitching is great. But when you lose Brandon Woodworth, I think that's a big deal.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 14: Now you got a lot of pressure on obviously Corbyn, Burns and Peralta. So if you would ask me one team a little in trouble, that would be them.
Speaker 2: Give me the team that's not in trouble at all. Once the Billy Phillies.
Speaker 13: I mean they are that group, right.
Speaker 14: They remind me of the four team, the three team that I played for for the Red Sox, that team that just is scrappy. They got a couple of superstars they got I mean real Muto is my favorite player. I mean he is just a ball player that kind of keeps that glue together. Castianos obviously this year settling down. It's hard you sign a big deal. We see it all the time. You come in trying to do too much, and then when things settle down, he's the player that they've all won and you've seen what he can do.
Speaker 13: Schwarber. It doesn't make sense to a lot of people, but he draws his walks.
Speaker 14: Yes, the strikeouts there, but he's got fifty home runs in that back pocket. And obviously Bryce Harper is all ballplayer. And Trey Turner he is getting hot when he's hot. This team's dangerous and I think they're the team.
Speaker 2: Okay, help me understand. Kyle Schwarber.
Speaker 1: He does hit hard, runs, he gets on base.
Speaker 2: He's not a great player, he can't run, he strikes out, but he's extremely valuable. I still have to believe Kevin putting the ball in play is far more valuable than striking out, you know, one hundred and fifty to two hundred times.
Speaker 14: I agree, and I think he's a much better hitter than he has been as far as hitter wise.
Speaker 13: I mean he was coming up.
Speaker 14: I remember theo Epstein loved him in the Cubs organization in the minor leagues and he said, this kid can hit. You know, you're thinking a three hundred hitter. The problem is, Danny, they teach hitting differently, and it bothers me.
Speaker 13: I'm with you. I hated striking out.
Speaker 14: I don't care if I popped up to the pitch, but when you struck out, that picture got you and I and I always tell you this.
Speaker 13: You know, hitting is a mentality.
Speaker 14: You have to figure out and believe that you're the greatest player in the world from the on deck circle walking to that home plate, you know, facing Roger Clemens.
Speaker 13: Think about it.
Speaker 14: Undrafted guy like myself, lacd Junior College, Lamar University is in the Northern League. And now I've got a seven times th Young Award winner on the mound that's six foot five and he's God. I have to you have to create an attitude hitting, and to me, it's a grind. They have so much information. They're so information based, and their spin rate and the degrees of the curve ball, and they have these machines that are five hundred thousand dollars in the clubhouse that you can go in there and track the starting pitcher that day, basically coming out of that wind up and seeing the degrees. It's too much in my opinion. I think Kevin Long's one of the greatest hitting coach in baseball. He's hitting coach for the Philadelphia Phillies. But I think what they're asking Schwarber do is hit homers, hit homers and do your thing. So I think they're okay with the strikeouts. Nobody's a perfect player, Nobody the speed power combination. You get paid three hundred to five hundred million.
Speaker 13: Dollars these days. Schwarber does exactly what he's paid to do, and that's to hit home runs.
Speaker 14: Driving run, set the tone, and let me tell you, as a lead up hitter, it is a unique scene.
Speaker 13: But because of the walks in the on base percentage, do you care if he's singling?
Speaker 14: Do you care if he's got forty eight singles and fifty five home runs? If he's got over three hundred, you know, three forty on base so he does a little bit of everything other than the average.
Speaker 2: When do you start to get nervous if you're an Angels fan with Shoe Heyo Toney.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's probably now. I mean, obviously the article comes out when he cleaned out his locker at the end of the season he had the surgery. What a unique player, What a unicorn. We've never seen this Danny. We've heard about Babe Ruth. But what he was able to do healthy. You know, he throws one hundred miles an hour with a split bayron. He hits forty five to fifty home runs, and he runs better than you think. He's a six foot four, if not five guy, and he's such a sweet guy. There's intangibles there, and then the marketing aspect of it. Sometimes the numbers don't make sense to guys like you and I. I mean, I know you're rich now because you stop playing baseball. You went to basketball and turned into Dan Patrick. God bless you. My point being is that Sho Hal Tany, it'll be a unique contract. People ask me all the time, what did that cost him? I wouldn't even know where to start, because if you're paying guys three hundred and fifty million dollars as a position player and you got aces like Garret Cole that are at three hundred million, well is that number start with a six?
Speaker 13: Now it might start with a four.
Speaker 14: You still get him in June next year to offensive type scene like Bryce Harper, who you know Dasher plays in first base, and you wait for that Tommy John to come back.
Speaker 13: You will have him back.
Speaker 1: Well where's he going to play?
Speaker 14: He'll play in San Francisco, He'll play with the Dodgers, He'll play for the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Big Boys. In my opinion, I think there's a sleeper team, the Giants, and they got sneaky money. You know, we'll see what happens, but you know you're only gonna limit yourself to five teams that could afford that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they took them run at Aaron Judge and Carlos Korea. Thankfully they missed out on Korea, but I thought they had a real shot with Judge, So maybe maybe they do spend that money to get him there in San Francisco. I know you lost teammate Tim Wakefield passing away, and if you want to, you know, give the audience just your thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: Then I have a question about the knuckleball pitcher.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'll tell you this right now. And I know this was hard. I was born in a playing in Los Angeles. Was visiting my uncle Cow, who's you know, having a rough time with cancer. Ironically, I get on a plane Sunday morning, was called by the Red Sox Miss Pam, and she told me to hear the news as I was boarding and said we lost Tim and the reason why.
Speaker 13: Like this white ghost went over my face. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 14: Stacey Wakefield his wife, a remarkable Bostonian, toughest nails, one of my favorite wives I've ever played with. She was diagnosed with pinkreat of cancer a year ago. She's battling for her life. Tim Wakefield and I played in the Tahoe event. He's healthy, he's a golfer, he's us. He's a wonderful human being. He treated everybody kind, always wanted to do right. Came up as a position player with the Pirates, you know, and then learned the knuckleball and turned into the most unbelievable knuckleball. Picture of this game scene for many years, but it was devastating.
Speaker 13: Came in with a headache about a month ago, got.
Speaker 14: An amri had cancer, brain tumor day. Two days later they had the surgery, and then he had to wait a month to start. Chemo was starting this week and Sunday had a seizure. They rushed him to the hospital. He didn't make it. And I'll tell you you know, it's a tough situation, man, because as you know, you know your work, whether it's a team, business, your family. And we celebrated a championship, the first one in eighty six years. I was very close to Tim and his wife and his kids at Brianna who's a senior in high school, and I think about her battling his son, Trevor. He's an autistic nineteen year old boy. But Brianna sit here as a senior in high school. Mom gets diagnosed with pink great cancer battle, and then Dad randomly in a month span, passes devastating news, brutal for the family of baseball, brutal for personally. And just keep your prayers high and high and hire as high as you can go for this family, Danny, because this was a great man that we lost at way too young of age, at fifty seven years old.
Speaker 2: It's a tough segue after something that was put so beautifully. I did want to ask you about how you can prepare for the knuckleball. Do they have pitching machines? When we were in Scottsdale, the Giants spring training site, you know, Gabekapler said that they could recreate the curveball that Kershaw has, like the pitching machine can. Can these pitching machines recreate a knuckleball?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 14: And I loved it. At first base. We'd play the Yankees and you'd see Pasada on these guys. They're changing their stances, they're open, they're low listen. I didn't get a chance to face Tim till I went to the Orioles, so I played with him for three years with the Red Sox. I heard all the lingo at first base. Guys are just going crazy. I took it as a way as this. The old saying, right is if it's high, let it fly. If it's low, let it go. The amazing part about a knuckleball is that you got to take it for fun. You gotta get in your softball stance, you gotta lay kick straight up and I try to hit a home run every time. I just there's no other way. You can't stay inside the baseball. You can't sit here and try to work your swing, because what happens is that one pitch. It starts out like the old Bugs bunny. It just stays and then it drops off the table right before home plate to the outside corner. It might stay and rise if it catches the right win and kind of finish above your belt buffle, it.
Speaker 13: Might stay flat.
Speaker 14: The one thing about Tim Wakefield's knuckleball is he can control this thing. He would throw it between fifty eight and sixty eight. He can throw a little harder with two strikes. It's the most amazing pitching baseball. It's you know, you're spacing ninety five to one hundred. I always thought it was like a day off regardless. If you're gonna dribble it, you're gonna look, you're gonna pop up. But if you got one that didn't move, it was like a batting practice pitch that you threw in high school.
Speaker 2: Danny, good to visit with you as always, and thank you for the words. Ten Wakefield, your former teammate.
Speaker 13: Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Thank you buddy. Thank you, Kevin Malar.
Speaker 2: You can see him on Intentional Talk on MLB all postseason long airs, pre and postgame coverage throughout October. We'll take a break last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 15: Hey, this is Tom Verducci from Fox Sports, MLB Network and Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 1: And I'm Joe Madden.
Speaker 14: We're going to be around to talk a little bit about managerial decisions and what may have accred to that do got maybe in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 15: It's the Book of Joe podcast.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for this, Joe.
Speaker 15: We're gonna into what goes on in the dugout and behind the scenes in Major League.
Speaker 13: Baseball, cars, wind whatever else we want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there are no boundaries, right.
Speaker 15: Listen to the Book of Joe podcast on the iHeartRadio app, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow. Rich Eisen's going to join us. He's on the call for the game in London.
Speaker 7: Sure is Bill's and Jaguars.
Speaker 1: Thank you, ton This day in sports history.
Speaker 7: I've got to so you're welcome. Thank you, ton You're welcome.
Speaker 2: What's the newest trend here where people say good morning gentlemen and Tony.
Speaker 8: Say good morning gentlemen and Fritzy, oh, Fritz, you guys are gentlemen, and I'm something short of that.
Speaker 5: I guess now you started that.
Speaker 1: I did, Yeah, you did.
Speaker 5: You did start that.
Speaker 7: We started a lot of things that end up being not so good for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it scenes right, like two weeks ago. You open the show or something, you say good morning everybody, good morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And Jens has thank you Todd at least eight times a day to me when I ramble on or I say something that's obvious, or all the things I do here in the show, you Todd. Yeah, I heard you can get the flu shot that in the COVID chat at the same time and nothing bad.
Speaker 1: I'll have to thank you, Thank you Todd.
Speaker 2: Uh. This day in sports History, We'll have that for you coming up, Shane and Ohio and just you got I know, I'm telling you to get ready. I want you to get up and get loose there, Get loose there, Shane and Ohio.
Speaker 16: Hi Shane, Hey Dan, how are you guys today? I appreciate the call for six recovering from surgery. Of course, you guys have had a great show today. I have a question for you what a bad day look like for Dan and the dan ats, cause I've got peas in the nether region where no guy wants to have surgery. What's a bad day for you guys at the office?
Speaker 1: Okay, what would be a bad day at work? Todd?
Speaker 8: I don't think there really is a bad day, in all honesty. You've been extra generous lately bringing breakfast sandwiches. So maybe on those off days when we can't look forward to a nice breakfast burrito or something like.
Speaker 1: That, that's that's a bad day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because we've gotten a little spoiled, you know, we're getting used to kind of having the nice breakfast.
Speaker 7: I don't think there's anything about our day.
Speaker 1: I think you'd a little spoiled.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I have one. It's small, but you'll agree with me. If we have a big or newsy guest on the show and we forget to ask them a question, I know it all bothers you. It'll bother me the rest of the day because like we had the guy or the person on the air. Yeah, and I may not get him again. Yeah, that that will haunt you a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Marv, you got a definition.
Speaker 1: Of a bad day.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: If I mess up on the board or anything like that, it'll you know, it'll ruined my day.
Speaker 2: So today, a lot of those days, Most days, I'll come to that same Have you had a good day?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Oh, if I wasn't cheating on those trivia questions before I'm about to really start now.
Speaker 1: Uh seat, and you got a bad day?
Speaker 4: Not today, man, Let's see, do I go for the joke or do I would be serious here? I already threw shots at at Marvin and Todd gets enough shots.
Speaker 8: Well, it's gotta be something about like when the audio or there's a zoom problem or something doesn't sound good on the I was gonna.
Speaker 5: Go a number of guests, but I won't do that.
Speaker 8: That happens sometimes you could have a three four guest day. You could have a no or one guest day.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, man, we're you.
Speaker 2: Know what, We moved past that because I do think we generate content here and that if we have somebody on greater and if we don't, it's it's not a big deal to me. It's not there's there's something still a big deal to me.
Speaker 5: I haven't moved on from I don't know kind of.
Speaker 1: What we need to we need to move on from that.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 5: I think that there used to be bed.
Speaker 4: I don't think there is bad days anymore because we've been together for so long doing this that it's like you just kind of know how to manage.
Speaker 5: Each other, you know.
Speaker 4: So I don't know that there's I don't know that you can have a bad day anymore.
Speaker 2: We shouldn't have a bad day. No, No, I think I don't think we have bad days. I think we just have better days. They're ones that are just better. Yeah, And you're right, I think we fell into a comfort zone. It's probably you know, back when COVID hit and we were forced to just you know, be creative and talk and make sure that we don't take it for granted. And if you get a guest, you know those kind of things. Also, because of COVID, everybody started zooming. So now you know, we were able to add that element to the show where you were getting people you could see on camera if you're watching on Peacock.
Speaker 9: Yes, Marv, you know what beforehand, when I first started out here with you guys, and I would definitely be hard on myself. Paul was a big, big help. He would be like, hey, let's have fun, let's rally, like you would say to Fritzy in Ireland, but he would say it like legit, like hey, come on to shake it off. It'd be like our one, like we don't need all that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's if you start out and you make a mistake or you say something wrong, you got to try to put that behind you. And that's really, really tough. You don't want to compound it by going still caught up in this when I got to be moving on. Let me get a couple of phone calls in here, but thank you, Shane don Kashane Bryant in Virginia, Hi, Brian, Hello.
Speaker 17: Dan Danette's featuring Fritzy.
Speaker 1: Let's go with that, Okay, just a quick question.
Speaker 17: I'm it's celebrating our tenth year anniversary with my wife. He's unfortunately a chief fan. I'm a Broncos fan. But we've made it out ten years. We're going to Doublin next week. Any suggestions around the room, good pubs you went to or what one.
Speaker 10: Do we have to go to?
Speaker 17: Thank you for taking call.
Speaker 2: All right, go to the Palace Bar. Go to the Palace Bar and ask for the bartender who is the Lionel Messi of bartenders in Dublin. He he refers to himself as the Lionel Messi of bartenders, and ask him if you can have a sip of the red Breast whiskey there that he has special so that that you go into the Snug. As soon as you walk in there's it looks like it's a phone booth there, but you and why your wife go in there. Go into the Snug and it's great. We had a wonderful time there. You can't go wrong with the people there. Yes, Hunt which was the.
Speaker 8: Place that had those fancy cabinets and like those black cherry cabins, was all well lived.
Speaker 7: There was a piano in there and everyth oh.
Speaker 1: That was the whiskey place.
Speaker 7: That was a gorgeous place.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're a whiskey fan, it's a relatively new place. I don't know the name of that, but man, was that gorgeous. Inside beautiful and they had some expensive whiskey point.
Speaker 3: I think it's Temple Bar Whiskey and Tobacco if I remember.
Speaker 1: I did get a cigar there.
Speaker 3: Or Whiskey Reserve. There's two places that are both like whiskey focused bars.
Speaker 1: This day in sports history polling just a.
Speaker 3: Couple of the US Open golf tournament took place for the first time in eighteen ninety five in Newport, Rhode Island. Horace Rawlins. He's nineteen won the whole thing. Nineteen fifty nine, the first World Series to play he played West of Saint Louis was played in LA. This was a good movie, good TV movie. Bruce Jenner and Harry Belafonte made their acting debuts in a sports movie, NBC's Grambling's White Tiger, where a white guy plays quarterback for Grambling no sequel. Nineteen eighty seven. NFL owners used replacement personnel to play games despite the players.
Speaker 2: How about this first player in college football history to throw for at least three hundred yards and rush for over one hundred yards in the same game happened on this date Robert Grifted ju did. No, not Robert Griffith June. It was nineteen sixty nine, through for three hundred, rushed for over one hundred lost the game by one to Alabama.
Speaker 1: Yes, mart Kenny Stable, No, he played for Alabama.
Speaker 3: Is he famous?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Archie Manning Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what'd you learn today, Todd?
Speaker 8: Robert Griffin the third says, Michael Pennox Junior has big Pennix energy about that.
Speaker 1: Let's go n IL deal. Uh, cedo.
Speaker 5: We should have RG three on more often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was good, he was great. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Marv Kenny Stable played for Alabama, Yes he did.
Speaker 3: Paul Robert Griffith Junior, Ever, forget.
Speaker 1: What we learn.
Speaker 2: PXG fittings only twenty five bucks. Take advantage of this when you buy your clubs. Twenty five dollars fitting fee is applied to your purchase and then free thirty day follow up to ensure that that fit is correct. Visit PXG dot com learn more. PXG nobody makes golf club or fits golf clubs the way they do the way they do period.
Speaker 1: PXG dot com talk to you tomorrow,