Speaker 1: I was like, promise me, you're going to call me back, and she said I promise and click.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: That was the last I spoke to her.
Speaker 2: In twenty seventeen, Libby Caswell was found dead in a motel room in Independence, Missouri. She was twenty one years old, a young mom working hard to get by. The police investigation.
Speaker 1: Was brief, this is not a promicide. This is a suicide.
Speaker 2: But Libby's mom doesn't believe the official story.
Speaker 1: I thought, well, they must have missed this fingernail. It wasn't till much later, and I thought, why would they not search the car.
Speaker 2: She assembled a team of experts who looked at the evidence and think Libby was murdered. We have a term called JDLR, which means just don't look right. Libby's case stands out in my mind and keeps you awake at night.
Speaker 1: Sooner or later, somebody talks.
Speaker 2: My name is Melissa Jelson. I'm a reporter who covers violence against women. On season two of my podcast What Happened To I take a closer look at Libby Caswell's life and death. She was just like a gright happy person. Libby don't get me and said Nathan, I don't know. Something just seems off right now. I've spent the last year talking to Libby's friends and family, uncovering details of her life and the secrets that may have endangered it.
Speaker 1: I knew she was doing something, but she just wouldn't admit it to me at Birst and so I was like, you know, kind of like what did he just hit her?
Speaker 2: She told me like she was done, Like she's done going back and forth, and now she's finally going to do what she needed to do for her. This is a podcast about the systems that are supposed to help women, but don't. We have very strong stereotypes about the ways that victims of domestic violence are supposed to act.
Speaker 1: I think the law is set out to punish families.
Speaker 2: Those agencies are failing to do the right thing, And it's about one mom's search for justice.
Speaker 1: She started advising me, get your records, get your stuff together, because this is going to be the fight of your life.
Speaker 2: Join me on a journey to uncover what really happened to Libby Caswell. Everyone deserves to know the truth and if there was something that was not right and someone should be held accountable, Somebody dropped the ball. The medical examiner ruled Libby's death undetermined. They go, what do you mean they undetermined? I wish I could go back in time and go stay with her at that hotel. It was crying, and I said, and I was like, man, what happened.
Speaker 1: If this was a powerful woman with status, this case would have been resolved by now and the killer would be in jail.
Speaker 2: But Libby Caswell didn't have status.
Speaker 1: What happened to her is unknown, and it's something that I need to know.
Speaker 2: Listen to What Happened to Libby Caswell starting November two on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts