Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Hey, we're back. We're black, We're blah blah blah blah blah blah buh buh b brown, ambition and.
Speaker 2: Ambition, ambition, ambishing.
Speaker 1: Hey a Manda, how you holling?
Speaker 2: I'm all right. I had a long, lovely long weekend.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: You went a little upstate?
Speaker 1: I did. By the time this came out comes out, it will be my birthday? Is your birthday? It's your birthday October sixteenth, the big four or five? Yeah, I know it's not crazy. I'm like, forty five? What the hell? Who's that? Oh my god, it sounds bananas. Like my sixteen year old self is like you, oh well, she's like she said hey, because she hasn't figured out her brows yet.
Speaker 2: Ain't nothing but a number. Well, how are you feeling about?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean forty five? Like, how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Here's the thing. I don't feel forty five whatever that means. I feel grown and you know what I mean, Like I do feel like a full fledged adult, like.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, likes and it happens. Okay, I know.
Speaker 1: I want to say it was like my mid to late thirties when like I made the transition to like, oh, I actually feel grown. For the longest time, I still felt like my second gradeself, like girl, why do they let me drive? But no, no, I feel like an adult. And I will say for me, I know for a lot of people's birthdays kind of represent kind of like what you haven't done. Oh, I wish I would have done this. I wish I have to say by the time I hit forty, I could look around and say kind of like if I look at my journal and then had like my big dreams written down, for the most part, achieve those things, so my birthdays don't come with it. What I haven't done is kind of like what the hell how did I get here? So I don't know. They're time for reflection in a good way. I don't. I don't feel a sense of like, oh man, I thought by this age i'd be data. I want to say I stopped that by forty.
Speaker 2: Mmm, that's good.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: Just once day. I don't wait. I don't wait to I don't wait just once a year to do that once a day the way that I'm like, dang, I wish I would washed those dishes last night. I wish I would have put my clothes in the dryer like I meant to you last night. Now I got to rewash them.
Speaker 1: But I'm not gonna lie. I gotta get back like in the cause they do say like especially now like I have to start lifting weights again. I used to, like, you know, do weight training and not even for like the you know, so you could be all tight and slim, because you know, I'm entering into this perymenopause. I still get my cycle. Sorry man, So I guess I don't know. I think you can still get your take on Perry. I mean, I'm still but I do know that the older you get, you really are supposed to build muscle and it helps with like osteoporosis. So you know, I've just been like mindfula tiphany. Honestly, you need to hit the gym and like do more weight training because I'm just entering into this age where you know, like if you don't, you really put your just your general health at risk. I'm like, I know what osteoporosis.
Speaker 2: You know, listen, good, look it sucks. It's not fun. I've been I think I hit like the two month mark with my trainer, Gary Awa. I said his name out loud. He doesn't deserve that free press.
Speaker 1: Why do we love hate? Our Trainers're like, I hate, but thank you.
Speaker 2: What a terrible job. I don't know why a trainer trains like no one's happy to see you, you know. And it's not like he's training like elite athletes. He's here in the suburbs, training like busy moms, and he like he. And also what I like about my trainer is that like we're kind of rude to each other, like I don't have to like you're gonna see me at six thirty before coffee, like I'm not giving you.
Speaker 1: I'm not giving you, And it's like a dentist thankless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you feel you feel skinny of your pants fitting looser, I'm like, I'm here, okay, that's the only question, no questions. But I don't feel like physically that like I've had that big transformation but obviously so much stronger, like that is definitely the benefit. But then today I was like, god, damn, I'm just gonna have to do this three days a week forever. When does it stop? I know, But you're a good reminder of why I'm doing it now. Yeah, to prepare myself.
Speaker 1: No and a good way.
Speaker 2: Sorry. The tone was not giving what my brain.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I just mean like, you know, start small, like start building these abbits early. But the way that I desperately want to stop, I'm just like three, I've been doing it three days a week and I think. I think I'm just tired, tired of waking up. And I don't I don't know. I don't know. Something's got to I don't want to. I don't want to quit, but my body is like, m can we have a little woos off? And so I don't know what the right balance.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's like that's the point where you actually have to push past. I can know it is, and I mean as someone who girl, Remember I was on my jump rope craze until my knees were like who and I thought I had authoritis you know, Arthur and idis at each of my knees. The doctor was like, girl, no, you just need to exercise. Because my nise was like, oh my niece is giving up and She's like yeah, like basically I have to strengthen the then the the you know, the muscle around my knees, and I'm like so. Then I was walking a lot and honestly, I still really do love walking. I just have not hit the road jack like I've had before. And honestly, walking is still not weight training, and I know that like I need to wait train. It doesn't even have to be weight to weights. It could just be your own body. So that's like the stage I'm mentoring into. You know, I'm taking all of November off, which I do now because I learned from my therapist that November for me, I mean I knew it, but I didn't feel it's so triggering because that's the monster ill passed away. And so I told myself that's going to be like I'm not going anywhere I'm traveling. I'm just going to I almost like reclaim my health in November. Like I wanted to do my first like drip vitamin drip. I've never done that before.
Speaker 2: Oh, like were they actually hook you up to an IV Yeah, like rich people do after their parties.
Speaker 1: So my friend Linda does does that and she was just like she'd gets it quarterly and she just like she just swears by it.
Speaker 2: What goes in you?
Speaker 3: Like, what is it?
Speaker 1: You can kind of cheose, so you could do vitamin B because I tend to get a cold every November, so I want to get see. I know I'm vitamin D deficient maybe some bee. So I'm just these are kind of conversations I'm going to have. Like I'm like, okay that I'm debating whether maybe I'll join a gym. I actually used to not mind going to the gym. I haven't decided because also too, when it gets really really cold, an't nobody leaving the house. But that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I think that's what it is. I think it's the colder weather. I'm just like, thank god I can pre warm my car. I mean, for y'all who just.
Speaker 1: Like, how do you don't even know? Right now? I'm during my dad, my mom's twenty five year old Mercedes Benz like she has a bet she had a bench twenty five years ago.
Speaker 2: The millennium Benz, I'm hen of the century.
Speaker 1: When they got that bit, it was first of all, she has heated seats, I said, not Sylvia stunting on the ground twenty five years ago? Do you know? She was? Yeah? But no, because you know they hit Durrell's car, and so I got the money and bought Alyssa.
Speaker 2: Not your parents someone hit but not your parents. Yeah, that way you said that made it seem like.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so I used that They gave me, like, I'm around fifteen thousand dollars and I used it to get a Listen's car, which is like sixteen thousand. And so now I'm debating, and maybe you know, we could talk about.
Speaker 2: This episode made a nice car for yourself.
Speaker 1: I am, but I'm debating least versus by that's a debate right now. But I mean we can talk about it maybe the next session to talk about the pros and cons as I make my decision because I don't drive that much. But yeah, so I'm just November, it's going to be like I want to get a massage, I want to get like a routine going of an exercise, you know, I want to sleep late. Yeah. Just it's going to be like, yeah, just kind of like regain health a month. I mean, I'm not unhealthy. I mean, you know, I just but I just feel like, you know, I have to be more intentional. You know. It's not like I'm like, oh, girl, forty five ain't what it used to be.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also just like, I mean, you're holding space for your grief at the same time too. So I hope that it's just that you don't have too much on your to do list and that you.
Speaker 1: Can you know, yeah, everything is very if I feel like it, which I like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're giving yourself a soft place to land.
Speaker 1: And also said, I just want to feel I don't know, I feel like we're in this pivotal moment where it's like, if you don't take care of yourself physically, it's hard to come back harder, you know. And so I'm just like Tiffany, I'm not even I'm not trying to be some muscle woman, which nothing's wrong with that, but I just want to be like, oh, I've got a gentle routine, you know that, Like my body's in good shape. As far as I feel strong, I can get up off the floor without having to do the Okay, now I roll to the side.
Speaker 3: This need I got a trick shoulder, shoulder I haven't got already live these days. Damn well, you looked.
Speaker 2: A real good live and in color at me a live live? What do we say about our live show? Our first ever?
Speaker 1: Lie? It was, first of all, I don't know what I was expecting. First of all, packed house. Okay, the house was packed, but to sing our ba qa song and our opening song and to have people sing it, you know, I'm just so used to like I'm talking about my friend Mandy, I'm talking about girl Mandy. That's my sister Mandy. And I'm like, wait, I forgot that y'all are listening because y'all sang it along with us, and I was like, oh my god, that was so real. That was the most surreal moment for me. When people saying like it's.
Speaker 2: Time, it was like, it was so fun. Honestly, what if we just took the audio from that, like fifty women singing that song with us and just you said as our you should true, yeah, I know you should.
Speaker 1: That's fun for you. No, I didn't think about that. I love that, And because we always said we never had like a you know, yeah, oh my god, but it was and to meet people.
Speaker 2: People flew in they really did from Savannah. God, and she didn't just fly from Savannah. Courtney has just been you know, it's just really special when people will follow along with the show four years. I mean it just like the way that you guys leave us comments and messages on Insta like it matters, and I recognize y'all like friends in my head. So to see Courtney in person so cute. She was even wearing the lip bar color that I wear rich Auntie that we talked about before. Everyone was just so happy to be there, and I'm just I'm just I feel proud, immensely proud, and and to the venue source of Knowledge bookstore in Newark. You always said it was special, but I mean, I think I still. I think the smell of incense is still kind of like burned.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, we getting y'all my cyluses, but it wasn't magical, yes, because I don't know that. I've been to black bookstores obviously, but this is not just a black bookstore, like owned by black people. It's a black book black and brown well, a black bookstore that exclusively carries books and resources and literature focused on black and brown people. Like I know, Mandy, you're looking for a children's book that was like bilingual, that had Spanish.
Speaker 2: And and didn't have to look far. I'm a whole all of them. Yes, I was like, I never knew these books existed.
Speaker 1: Yes, the children's section alone will blow you away. So many brown faces. You're like, all these books exist out here.
Speaker 2: Wow, it was beautiful. And to Patrese and Masani and Patresea's little grand baby. He was running around. He's Rio's age, and I was just like, oh you're you're I'm adopting you for this evening because it just felt right to have a little boy running around.
Speaker 1: Oh, foods by Nisha. The girls were tearing Abnicia's food.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, it just was.
Speaker 1: And then we have to thank Chris for Oh my god, Chris from Popcorn Finance.
Speaker 2: Yes, for if you're a podcaster and you ever need well, if you never need someone to fly cross country, just befriend Chris and we'll just do it. He will. No, but what a gem of a human being. And yeah, and thank you so much Chris for like planning everything. And even our producer Tanya came out. I know that she was getting some cute like she was doing some Q and A in the audience to see how people were feeling. And I'm really glad that we got I know that this is you know, we're nearing the end. You're taking November off, so I'm just like it's just cutting into our time. But but no, I'm just to go out like that, to have an experience like that, I mean, I'm just really really grateful that we just like did it. It was very stressful, but we did it. It happened, and thank you be a fan for showing up. What more can what more can we say?
Speaker 1: We did?
Speaker 2: You guys will hear the episode? So when is that gonna live? When when is that gonna Airmandy, we weren't there. When can we listen to it? I think we decided November we'll be airing a two part yeah, two parter. But it was really fun. We know, we talked a lot about our personal growth, the year of the pivot when we call it the Great Pivot, the pivot, and then we did some trivia, some trivia with the VF that was fun.
Speaker 1: It was it was can I tell you that Tracy gave me the best compliment. She was like, because you know, sisters don't be listening. She was like, wait, is that how the podcast goes? I'm like, what do you mean? She was like, it was so great. She said something that Mandy said about you know, you had said something about mediocrity. She said, it just touched me so much, and I was like, is this is this how it goes? She's like, what I hear I've been missing out.
Speaker 2: And I know her family does not want to hear us talk.
Speaker 1: They're they're missing out. Yes, she was like, honestly, she said, it's one thing. Oh I'm going to my sister a half find Andy. But She's like, honestly, I was really engaged and it was really good, and she was just like, Wow, what an amazing podcast. And Tracy's not the system that compliments nice, you know, but she was like, that was amazing. She'd let me add that to my list of podcasts. I'm like, oh, well that's great, so I just have this. We got Tracy approves, which is a huge approval.
Speaker 2: Thank you. And your sisters showing up and I know me, me and Roman were not having it, but they rolled up the show was happening.
Speaker 1: She's somebody signed the books. She's like, one day I'm going to sign books.
Speaker 2: You will, Oh my goodness. I just can't wait. She's like the Malia and the Sasha of the podcast, I feel like.
Speaker 1: And Roman was just on his roebucks of rodbox girl. I don't even know what the kids be doing. Roadblocks. I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 2: I could not tell you. But yeah, so look forward to a two part series. We'll be airing the b A live in November. All right, but we got to get into some well let's just like, I mean, like one buzzy brown buzz buzzworthy news item today is future vice President, future president, future black, first black female president and Asian president in American history is putting out put out a specific plan to basically woo black male voters because I guess black men have been leaning more towards the side of Trump, which I can understand sadly.
Speaker 1: I can.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not like, I don't know in your circles, Tift, do you feel like with your family, cousins, neighbors, Like are you hearing that in new work? Do you feel like black men are just a little bit less persuaded or excited about Kamala.
Speaker 1: If I'd be honest, Well, One, I have all sisters, our girl friends, and so I have not I don't have a ton of black male friends. And I'm like not now that Jerell's not here, so not like in the normal mix where maybe his boys are talking about you know what I mean. So because honestly, Like, my closest black male friend is Cabraw, and it's different. Cabraw is gay black men, and I you know, all his mostly his friends are gay black men, and so there's a different energy. So I can also I can say I'm kind of out of the loop to like what like the average black man, not to say, you know, if you're gay in a average but you know what I mean, like like I'm just out of the loop of like what black men in general are thinking about kamalos just because I just don't have them in my circle as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I feel like what I hear from neighbors and extended relatives is like there's this sense of like, and we should probably get someone who can speak to the black male experience on the show. But what I've felt like is that deep sense of nothing really changes for me no matter what happens. And I think unlike women of color, like black women, I think there's just this real sense of it doesn't matter, you know, like no one's really speaking for me, no one speaking to me, And so I know that there's tons of I think that from both sides, there's criticism, there's excitement about this plan. But I thought we could just like talk about it point by point because honestly, everything in this plan, and this is the real thing about any kind of economic plan that is put together to serve black communities, it serves all of us at the end of the day. But there's stuff here, like legalizing recreational marijuana at the federal level.
Speaker 1: Opportunities for Black Americans to succeed in this new policy because they're legalized. It's you know, it's legalized, for example in New Jersey. But that's not who has the dispensaries.
Speaker 2: They're all at Where are they at in California and Colorado?
Speaker 1: No? Meaning like folks who own the dispensaries are there are no? I mean it's black folks that over represent in jail for Mariana, but the dispensaries are not owned by black folks, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh okay mm hmm, all right, So providing but what are those opportunity? So what I want to get into the details. So what does that mean, like are black are they going to give like startup capital to Black Americans who want to start their own dispensaries or get into the business.
Speaker 1: Let me see, because she does have if you go on KamalaHarris dot com. Also like, oh my gosh, there's so many points to this. There's like expanded pathways for black men to get good paying jobs whether or not they have a college degree. This, I will say, I've here heard a lot from the black men that I am connected to. They're like, yo, I cannot find a good paying job and I do have a college degree, Like it's really hard. Providing more pathways for black men to become teachers and school leaders. This one. One of my friends is the CEO of a nonprofit, so I love this one. It says something about HBCUs and and providing a pathway for them to have access to like to become physicians. I think that's what I read, which I love because my friend Micheline, she used to be the state Treasurer of New Jersey and then she was the CEO of one of our largest hospital systems here in New Jersey, and now she's the CEO of this nonprofit organization. It's the number one, like I want to say, provider of black physicians. So it's like this program think of like eof you know, for those of you who aren't familiar. Oh maybe I don't know, I don't have it an EOF as an economic opportunity fund. Basically, if you are black or brown, and I wouldn't say back or brown, but if you are struggling financially and maybe the school that you came from was like okay, but you want to go to school, you have all the potential in New Jersey anyway, EOF. It's kind of like the bridge program between high school and college. So you do the program in the summertime to kind of prepare you for college, and then they follow you throughout college. They help financially, they help with tutoring, they help with all the stuff. And it's so she kind of provides this bridge program through her through the nonprofit. She's not the owner for black physicians because oftentimes it's like they have all the intelligence but none of the access, you know, like, you know, how do I get someone to pay for lodging for me? How do I Because you know, so black doctors are so critically important. Black maternal health is more Black women die unnecessarily during childbirth because of the lack of access to doctors that understand us.
Speaker 2: And so I feel something that parent like Kamala has actually been quite vocal about, especially during her run as VP. Okay, so thank goodness for just a good old PDF because these news reports. Also, it's interesting, you know how the media will take something like this and the first, the first sentence in their story is legalizing marijuana. But that is not at all. It's number five on this five point plan. So let's just break it down, okay. So the agenda from a high level is number one, providing one million loans that are fully forgivable to black entrepreneurs and others to start a business up to twenty thousand dollars. I wonder if that's on top of the fifty thousand dollars loan that or grants or something. It's probably on top of the fifty thousand dollars tax credit excuse me that she talked about for entrepreneurs small business owners. All right, So Number two championing education, training, and mentorship programs that help black men get good paying jobs in high demand industries and lead their communities, including pathways to become teachers. Oh, we love that. Number three supporting a regulatory framework for cryptocurrency and other digital assets so black men who invest in and own these assets are protected. Okay, that's very welcome back to that, Okay. Okay. Number four launching a national Health Equity Initiative focused on Black men that addresses sickle cell disease, diabetes, mental health, prostate cancer, and other health challenges that disproportionately impact them. And number five legalizing recreational marijuana and creating opportunities for Black Americans to succeed in this new industry.
Speaker 1: And they really goes deep. I mean, if you really start to look at some of the bullet points she talks from. Everybody, talks about everybody, from black farmers to expanding access to bank accounts, lending to black to help black men build wealth, and so those are kind of like the high level bullets. But if you really dig.
Speaker 2: Like, well, let's do that now. Yeah, that's what I want to do. Okay, So which one do you want to start with? Which one jumps out at you?
Speaker 1: I would say the one that jumps out at me most is this. I mean, because we talk about finances. Number three supporting regulatory framework for crypto and other digital assets, Well, I guess it's the financial component. How do we give more access to black men when it comes to dances? Okay, it's all forgivable loan twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, okay, so it does detail. This is on top of the small business tax deduction, from which has already been tenfold increased from five to fifty thousand dollars. She says the money needed to start your own business is not acceptable for many Black Americans. She's proposing a new initiative, a partnership with the SBA, the Small Business Administration, to do those twenty thousand dollars forgivable loans to entrepreneurs who have a good idea but don't have the resources, connections, or access to capital. These loans can help entrepreneurs rent office space and software to launch a cybersecurity company, pay for permitting fees, and purchase a van for a catering business. All these different examples of what you can use that money for, by chair space for barbershop, by lawnmowers for landscaping business. She'll also work with the private sector and call for additional funding to expand on proven ways to break down barriers and provide financing and venture capital to entrepreneurs and small business owners in black communities, Expanding access to bank accounts and lending to help black men build wealth. That's a big one because of high fees that tend to and again it's like, I mean, my thing with this plan is that all these things are great for everybody, just like the black community in general. But it's the targeting of like we're doing this for black men that is like that for me, is a little bit of marketing spin on policies I really benefit all of us. I'm not mad at it, but it's like, great, the black community in general needs access to bank accounts that are not vertable with high fees, you know, so they can build credit, save invest, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And someone who like taught in Newark and saw parents come in who were like, I still go to check castrom because there's no bank around here, and they're losing three four percent of their check at the check cashing place. So this is real for some people. Are like banks are everywhere, No, they're not, Just like supermarkets are not everywhere. There's literally places called flood deserts we can go. There's only corner stores available. The people who live in this kind of environment, it makes it very difficult to keep your money, even if you are trying to live frugally because of these.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so this one the cryptocurrency thing. So this for me, this is for anyone who owns cryptocurrency. I don't know how they would just target this for Black Americans, but cryptocurrency is unregulated right now in a large extent. I mean, obviously we've had like iconic crypto bros who've gone to jail for defrauding investors, like sample is blank man or I don't know whatever, he's in jail. But this does acknowledge the fact that, especially during the recession, I mean sorry, during the pandemic, more Black Americans we're investing in crypto.
Speaker 1: Twenty percent of us own That's what it says here. I was like, I did, honestly, I think about this is not praise nor say. I think about like Earnier Leisure. I think about my friend Terry trade and travel. I think about there was this huge uptick in which I think, in general is good of like really getting black folks invested. There was a remember that article we talked about it. I thought, this huge uptick in like black people are really investing in the market. But you know, whenever we get into something, that's when lots of predators also come and so I guess she's like, you know what, the fact remains that twenty percent of Black Americans are invested, which means likely in the cryptocurrency, which means the unregular, unfettered access to folks who might not be as sophisticated as an investor, you know, because maybe they just learned in the last couple of years, you know, Can we put some barriers in place to protect these kind of like newer investors. And so that's why she's like Black Americans because she's like, girl, like twenty percent, that's a lot. It went from hardly anybody in our community was investing to twenty percent investing in Cristo cryptocur see assets. That's tremendous.
Speaker 2: Like stresses me out too, because I'm like, yeah, I mean it is very similar to the stock market. You don't know if you're going to make any wins, but it's like if you're going to have you know, communities investing in crypto but not other types of assets that are a bit less risky, then it's just a lot that you're gambling with. So that's good. So what caught my eye also is the barriers to employment for black men. So this one acknowledges the fact that black men are more likely to have criminal records and poor credit that holds them back from some jobs. So it talks about how she's gonna work with employers or maybe introduce legislation that will require businesses to limit the use of unnecessary criminal arrest histories, convictions, and credit scores and their employment decisions.
Speaker 1: You might say, well, you shouldn't have done the crime. Do you know what happens when you over police a place. If you watch your kid twenty four to seven, you're gonna ca them so not I think because I hate what I hear people say, like, well, that's what happens. Black people are more more likely to be criminals. No, it's because if you've got so much policing in a place, you're gonna catch every nukle crate. I lived in an old white neighborhood. When I tell you that was going down, girl, I remember I was only talking. I was like, there was a kid in middle school who used to come to school with liquor in his Gatorway bottle. I'm like, what the hell was Ben going through?
Speaker 2: There's always a Ben. It's always a Bend or a Britain you know, and.
Speaker 1: Then parents literally buying alcohol for the kids because they could be the cool house girl, the stuff that was going down in Westfield, New Jersey. But and I remember just think it was this one young man, Rashid, and this other man I don't know, his name was Jared. While she was black, Jared was white. They're both selling weed in high school and they both got caught. But Jared was white and his parents had money and Rashi's I think it was from I don't know if I'm a single mother household. She didn't, and he, you know, I don't know that he went to jail, but juvie or whatever. And then some years later I was feeding the homeless on Thanksgiving in there he was do you think Jared is? Do you think he's there? So how was that? Like he's not more guilty, he had just more access for help and so yeah, so I'm just saying all that to say, like this is why the evening of the playing field is not about like, oh, well you shouldn't have done the crime, yes, but people do because they have access.
Speaker 2: Paid your time, Like if you paid your dues, you've done your time. Like it just it never made sense to me and it's just like a long, long lived issue. It never made sense to me why we put people through the criminal justice system and then spit them back out and say, well, you can't have access to any of these things to give you the tools to not go back, you know. So I'm glad to see that. And I think this is also where you're seeing like her experience as a prosecutor really coming out because she's been on the other side. She knows, like and I mean, you can talk. I know there's a lot of criticism of her record as a prosecutor, and it's like, at the end of the day, you know, she's there. Criminals have done things, she puts them behind bars because that is her job as a prosecutor. But this is her I think, really getting at the root of what sends these people, what sends us into situations where desperate situations where we are committing crimes. I thought it was cool. I love to see that. One of her initiatives here is to incentivize businesses to do more profit sharing, like to do more employee stock ownership plans, because for me personally, that was a huge contributor to my wealth building, was the fact that I had access to stocks in the companies that I worked for. Let's see, there's so much I love. The teacher one. Only one percent of public school teachers are black men, so Harris wants to work with HBCUs to create a pipeline. Never my pe teacher in the eighth grade, ninth grade. I remember he said that I was one of the hardest working girls on the team because I never complained about my period. Oh my god, not in the team.
Speaker 1: The class I had one he taught, which is crazy African American Studies, but they only they only had like every other year or whatever, of course, because Westfield was so white and so yeah, I can't remember his name, but yes, mister Harry, mister Perry, I don't remember, but I think that was my first and only.
Speaker 2: There's a black male teacher at Remy's daycare, and I try not to like be weird whenever I see him.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Can I talk to your mom and just congratulate her on raising I'm just but that's amazing. And I love ABD. Elementary is my favorite show, and I love that episode where what's the teacher's name, Eddie?
Speaker 1: Mister Eddie, Oh, the one that everybody has Chris that character please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's so cute anyway, where his students like draw pictures of him and it's like, you know, a black male teacher and he really understands the impact that he's having and then he puts them all over his rooms.
Speaker 1: So you love that she has this thing about investing in programs for mentorship. One of my friends owns a company called Black Male Mental Health on IG and that is his core thing that, like, mentorship is so critical for everybody, but especially black boys. And I love how she even shouts out like support programs like My Brother's Keeper in HBCUs to provide more opportunities for black men to develop leadership skills through their development. But having a really good mentor and sponsor is really critical.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think that's all. It just all is like let's make sure the root of these lives that we are creating, Like she's actually this is something that it's like, Oh, let's take care of the people that we already have and make sure that they can succeed. Because I mean, all this to me is just like adding like the right growth conditions for people to thrive. And when you help black men, you help black families, you help communities, and it goes for women too, black women, So this to me doesn't feel like an affront or like leaving behind women of color at all. This to me just feels like great, Like let's I mean, if she has a plan for Asian Americans, or she had a plan for you know, for LGBTQ Americans, like bring it on, because I think all these different communities could have different you know, definitely more attention and or you know, accessor or increase create a plan for Americans who are disabled, you know, like there's all sorts of communities that need support. So but I get it. I think black men and specifically haven't really been spoken to in a long time by the leaders in the country, and I'm happy to see something so specific, like let's just say it, this is for black men.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, I was gonna say thank you, Tiffany what but this was a I don't we don't have time to read the whole thing, but we are going to post I really encourage you to read the whole documents only nine pages. But you know, the media is not going to post this thing in their entirety. They're going to just pull out the highlights, but read it. We'll post it in the show notes, share it. I mean, this is the kind of thing that I'd print out and highlight and bring it to every you know, every election, every like, every debate, every event where you're talking about politics, and just remind these legislators like, didn't you say you were gonna and whatever happened to this? Because these are ideas, they're not actually policies that are input And it's also ain't none of that's getting done if we lose the House and Senate. So don't forget to vote down the ballot as well. When you guys show up an election date, it's not just about the president. It's about who we're electing into the House in Congress. And it's looking tight. It's looking very tight for Democrats right now.
Speaker 1: I told myself, I'm like, I'm not, I'm not. I'm invested, but I'm not as viscerally did as I was the first because it I mean, I almost lost my mind because remember it wasn't until like January, well even January we had you know, the the insurrection. It was a my heart, didn't I don't think I calmed down till March, and I said, yeah, I'm just gonna do my part, but I don't know if I'm going to do my part in this. Like the social media component of it all was too much. So I've been like I did my baby toe in, read a little bit of something and did back out because it's just Chad like they want to stretch us the hell out with this election, and I just it was like I got to protect my mental health while also trying to help to save the free world.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, I think Brown Ambition like this is what we're this is the perfect platform for us to just sit here and let's just like calmly read through some ideas and you know, and that's what I think. At the end of the day. It's all this heightened emotional element like that it's what they want you to feel. But let's just like get down to the nitty gritty. Yeah, so Ba fam, let us know how you're feeling about the election. Don't forget to go to Brown Ambition pod dot com and fill out our annual our annual brandnabish and listener survey because I ask all, well, we ask all kinds of questions about where you're at what issues are important to you, and we'd love to hear from you as well. Break I'm going to do a boost and it's I know, man, where's the book? I guess I keep carrying this book up and down the stairs. I can't find it. But I've been reading this really incredible book, and I'm it's one of the books that's there's like three books recently that have changed my that have been like deeply helpful to me. One of them was Attached that we talked about before. The second one was a book called Borderline by my new therapist Alex because yes, I read his book and I was like, I'm making that man my therapist because I found out he's local to me, and so now he is, and that's why I got to go in two minutes. The third one is Boy Mom and Reimagining parent I think it's reimagining parenting in the Age of Me Too or something like that. And it's by this author called Ruth who's a British lady, but she lives in California or the West Coast somewhere. And if you're a parent of boys, I don't I say parent, but mother, father, whatever, guardian of boys it's a really it's like it is the answer to every little anxiety or fear that I have raising boys in the society and just feeling like this huge responsibility to create good men who are compassionate and empathetic and you know, changing the idea of masculinity. So it's not it moves away from toxicity and to like just a better place so that they can, yeah, just bring love and joy and yes, strengths and all those great things to their communities, but just in a different way. So she uses all kinds of research and data. I mean, she travels across the country, she goes to she really gets on the ground with communities and organizations that are making sure that little boys are getting off the phone and building friendships and building relationship And for me, data is everything. I love research. And she really blows up myths around is it the phone or is it lack of social engagement that hurts boys? What does turn boys into you know, school shooters or drives them to have the highest suicide rates?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And what happens to boys who are accused of sexual assault in school because they don't understand consent? And like all of these really like hot button issues. Highly recommend it again. It's called boy Mom and it's by Ruth Whitman.
Speaker 1: Okay, real quick, I'm going to just do a break. So I just got a I was like, I got a Treasury check in the mail from the eye of the r of the s And I was like, what is this I want? It was a refund and I was like, but it said Tiffany Alice and Jorelle Smith. And I was like, I'm so annoyed because you know, I don't think people realize even after your partner passes away, so many legal things still come in the mail regarding both of y'all. So I'm looking at at it and I'm realizing, like, because last time I checked, like this came in the mail, took it to the bank. The bank said, oh no, your partner also has to sign. I said, he's dead. The hell I I brought everything with us like, and they give me such a hard time, even though I have an estate like you could open up in a state account like for things like this, and it was Wells Fargo, and they gave me such a hard time. But the saving grace was when Dorella was alive, we had a joint Wells Fargo account, and like our Bill's account was joined and I just never closed it, you know, and I never even thought to take his name off. And I was like, well, they said, he said, either they have to sign it or you. It has to go an account that both of y'all are on. I'm like, well, I have a joint Bill's account. They're like, okay, but can you imagine that that is more legal to have a joint account with someone who's no longer here. But girl, whatever, I deposited it. And so this check. And I say all this to say like, if you have a partner and you don't have at least onejoint account, even if you don't use it, please do because things like this is so annoying. Because I looked on this check. This was from a refund check from twenty eighteen, so obviously the IRS is just now going through taxes, so this is a refund, so meaning that their IRS is not going to reissue me likely a check because essentially it is for Drell and I because we were married, we filed jointly. Because this is like, oh, here's your money from twenty eighteen. So I just say all that to say, I'm just so grateful for our joint savings and our joint checking that I still have, not likely keep forever because if checks come ten years late, I want to still be able to access because it's not a little bit of money. So that's my little brown break, but just a reminder of like some of the things to do now that if some gon forbid substing should happen later, you still have the ability to access stuff with your person.
Speaker 2: So it's so stuff you never think about. Girl, I don't even know if I mean, I think enriy K just has my login for our account that I say is joint. I don't know I should look into that.
Speaker 1: No, you've having literally like a joint account when both of your names are on it. I don't care if you have ten dollars in there, just so if something were to happen. Number one and this is my last because I know you got to jump, is that. I remember what as soon as Joe passed away, my financial advisor was like transfer he had his own I knew I had login for his personal accounts too. I was able to transfer his money to our joint accounts. So that because the bank is going to freeze everything and give you so much trouble, and they're so dumb that it's like, no matter how much paperwork you bring, it's just such an issue. So I was able to because I you know, you can go from a Drarell account to a Drell and Tiffany account easily. So I was able to do that, hold that money there and not have to fight with that months and months and months that it get access to money that I start to have access to. So having at least one joint account with your person, with your partner, especially if you're married, even if you're not married, and mean, like I said, even if you just keep ten dollars for just worst case scenario, a savings and a checking. And so I'm grateful for that. So I don't have to battle with the irs, which I'm probably not gonna win, and I'll have to bury the Bank of America, which I'm definitely.
Speaker 2: Not probably can't even get them on the phone if you try. Okay, I'm gonna try my mail. I want a refund. I should get a refund soon, not my.
Speaker 1: Six year old check coming in mail.
Speaker 2: They're like, girl, you made no interest on that either. Girl.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all until Friday.
Speaker 2: Until Friday, Thanks for listening, don't forget to leave a review and then again. Brandanbission podcast dot com you can fill out the be A Listener survey and we'll see you guys next time. Byye