Speaker 1: This crowd rises to speaking what Carl slam it out? Carl left wing free ball perfect?
Speaker 2: Then he left block the shot at the rim?
Speaker 1: How with the left hand.
Speaker 3: And of fowl. Welcome to the Chase Down Podcast, part of the Caves Media family. I'm your host, Justin Rohan. The Chase Doown is presented by Fubo, the official streaming partner of the Calves. Watch over three hundred and fifty channels of live sports and TV, including FanDuel Sports Network without cable, There's no cost and no commitment. Try for free at FuboTV dot com Slash Calves. There's no cost, no commitment, and no chance that your Cleveland Cavaliers are going to miss the playoffs.
Speaker 2: They became the first team.
Speaker 3: In the NBA to officially clinch a playoff spot with their win over the Miami Heat. The winning streak is up to twelve games, and my co host is Carter Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: Carter, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 1: That was seamless, brother, man. I I'm doing good. Uh, It's it's a really weird thing where you know, Justin, I gotta say this team on as twelve game winning streak might be slumping a little it's just this really weird thing where you know they're not playing their best basketball. And Mike Lucas, you know, kind of ask Kitty about this as much in the post game, where he was just kind of like, you know, I can't call it a slump, but you know, it's not your best basketball over the last couple of days. And you know, I think, you know, on one hand, obviously it's not crazy fun that they're not playing their best basketball, but it's also, in a weird way kind of fun because it's like, you know, normally, when a team is going through the you know, the four and six, three and four and they're not their sharpest, you just lose and you're really grumpy about it. And instead, we just have this team that keeps finding ways to win, you know, in all these different ways. And I know that some people are sick of hearing the twenty fifteen twenty sixteen Warriors comparisons with this team, but those teams did have a certain air of inevitability to them, where it's like, no matter how much the lead is, no matter how much you fought back to take the lead, that they were always going to be just lurking and waiting to knock you out at the very last second, and every bounce would go their way, every foot on the line would go their way, and it just kind of feels like this Cavs team just has that kind of destiny air about them that is really really fun, and it's got to be really frustrating for the other teams.
Speaker 2: It's got to be frustrating. Carter.
Speaker 3: You know, I love you, buddy, but I think you're missing the bigger picture here.
Speaker 2: When we pass that win.
Speaker 3: Over the Boston Celtics, we said, you know, that's kind of the last real test. That's the last time we play a real contender. The rest of the regular season is going to be about trying some stuff, working on things that you have to be ready for in the playoffs. They will present to you a theory. The Cleveland Cavaliers realize they don't have a lot of experience closing games. The starters don't get to play in fourth quarters very often, not a lot of experience coming from behind, you know, So you know, you let these teams hang around you, You give yourself a challenge, you put yourself behind, and then you come back and you win those games. That's very clearly what's happening here.
Speaker 1: Brother, It's a what a year, what a what an unbelievable season, our boys, Ziggy had. I think my favorite Calves stat of the year, which is that if you if the Calves lost every game that wasn't a part of these three game winning streaks, they'd still be the three seed in the East. They have thirty nine wins on win streaks this year. If the Lakers beat beat New York tomorrow and and the Calves win their next one, they would be forty games in win streaks. They would be the two seed. Like It's an unbelievable number of streaks. I mean, only the second team in NBA history to have three win streaks of twelve or more. This team is just unbelievable. What a run. I keep thinking about like DeAndre Hunter and just what he must think every day going to work.
Speaker 2: I guess this is my new life.
Speaker 3: I guess I just never lose ever again. It's got to be a good feeling. And you know, speaking of DeAndre Hunter, I was thinking about his addition to the team and kind of how it's helped us throughout this stretch, because I really do feel like he's solidified this rotation We've seen a couple of games now where you know, Donovan Ress, Mobiley rest, he slides into the starting lineup and has helped contribute in so many different ways. I don't think that what we have currently seen, you know, since the Boston game, these last couple of wins, I don't think it's too dissimilar to some of the losing streaks that we've had this season, because those losing streaks have been games that have come down to the wire, right, Like you think of the Houston game where it's DG missing some free throws, just a little mistake at the end, Mobiley wasn't there. The Indiana game where we're up big in the third quarter, they're missing some guys, we blow that lead, and we just don't have enough to kind of get back, you know, get our grip of the rope back at that point. I think now, because to your point that you've brought up several times, we don't have any lineups that suck like. It just has insulated us so much further. It has flipped the margin, that very very thin margin that you know, some of those very close losses that they've had, you know, didn't go in their favor. Now it's going the other way. Now you don't have a weak lineup where hey, the starters didn't really have it, which honestly, starting lineup wasn't very good tonight. They did not play well against Miami. In the past, you may have that and then oh they were able to pick on the bench line up and build that lead. Now because you don't have that ability as an when you're playing the Calves, it makes it so much harder to actually build upon your successes and put the Calves in a big enough hole that they can't crawl out of.
Speaker 1: I do have to fact check you real quick. Justin my turn, you mentioned Calves losing streaks, so I don't I don't recall they haven't had one one of.
Speaker 3: Those patches, those little patches you know of, like three and five or whatever, like, Yes, a lot of those have been very thin margins.
Speaker 1: I saw an opportunity to tease that, Yeah, they've lost two in a row only twice this year and three in a row only once. Uh So, depending on your your definition of streak, which I know can be uh, can can can be uh.
Speaker 3: No, it's definite, it's three in a row winning streak or losing streak. It's three in a row. Major League has defined that, Carter, you cannot you can't refute that.
Speaker 1: Well, an all time Cleveland sports movie should be the one to uh to set the uh to set the record at.
Speaker 2: The end of the day.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're right, I mean, and uh we've talked a lot about all the versatility that Hunter gives them. I thought this was another a little thing. Do you remember last year when they signed Marcus Morris and I mentioned that it was nice having, you know, a forward on the roster that wasn't just a three or at the rim guy, right, you know, it felt nice just to know that, not that you want to build the whole plane out of it, but it was nice to know that Marcus Morris could pump fake from the corner if they closed out hard, he could pump take two dribbles in and then hit a MIDI and like be relatively comfortable with that in between game and like we even saw that in the playoffs, Like, I mean, he had a couple of really good games for us, just being that kind of shooter, being that kind of in between creator and watching this game where Miami is in the zone, they're sinking way back towards the rim. Jarrett's not having his most impactful night, coming off a night where he was unbelievable against Chicago, which we'll hit on, but instead you're just hitting Hunter in that soft pocket and he makes the right call like three or four times, and he's a guy who you want to rise up for that open twelve foot mid range jumper, and like that is one of the first times because like he's been a really good cavalier so far, obviously, but Harris and George hit threes, you know. I felt like, in a way tonight was one of the first times we really saw that part of the offensive skill set be reeling meaningful and be a little different than what we had before. Is that Do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: I do? It was one of my main notes from this game.
Speaker 3: I thought the fact that from the start, like Kenny's talked about this in the past, where the two coaches that run the most zone are he and Eric Spolster, and dating back to when he was in Brooklyn, And I thought Richard Jefferson made a really good point on the broadcast where he was saying, the Cavs know exactly how they're going to tag zone as soon as they see Miami go to that zone, they have DeAndre Hunter come up to the elbow. They had designated him as that zone buster, and we've talked about in the past how it was really important for Evan Mobley to hit kind of that free throw line jumper, because when teams are sagging off, when teams are going to zone, you need to have that front court player that's consistently and reliably able to hit that shot. And I think it's such a benefit to have DeAndre Hunter have that capability where, yeah, DJ can get easy assists by just hitting him quickly there. You know, the anchor of the zone isn't able to come up in time. If they do flash up quick enough, he has the ability to quickly kind of get that first step around him and just wonderable to the basket and finish. I thought it was a really really interesting wrinkle and just how confidently they would go to that as soon as Miami would throw the zone. I thought that that was really really noteworthy from this game.
Speaker 1: I thought they also opened up a little bit of stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, they where.
Speaker 1: Fiji made a really tight quarters pass to Hunter when they were in the middle of a switch and Davion Mitchell kind of got caught on Hunter's back hip. I thought that was a really nice like, you know, because teams are going to switch their bigger wings onto Darius and try to gum up the rhythm. So if you can slip those actions, if you can just get like a little bit of gap space between and get Hunter the ball with a little bit of runway towards the hoop, I think that could really pay dividends. And you know, me and you have also talked about how I don't think you know, neither of us feel like Hunter is the best playmaker. What's really nice about this Calves team, and we've said it a lot, is like it's just not that hard to play good basketball with this Cavs team. So he I mean, he found MOBILEI on that alley oop where I was about says, maybe he's ever thrown that that might be an initiation moment of you, you finally arrived as a Cleveland Cavalier. You found MOBILEI trailing in the dunker spot for a lob, right like that.
Speaker 3: You're you're right that that was such just a you know, an instinct play from him, uh to to find Mobile in that spot in a big moment.
Speaker 2: It was really really nice.
Speaker 3: I liked what we got from DeAndre Hunter, and again we saw another example of hey, Jared's not having a good night. Miami's playing really small. You know, Bam is anchoring them at at six' nine and they have a bunch of. Wings jared's not having a great. Game so let's close with With, Donovan, Darius, Max, DeAndre And evan like having that flexibility to, hey someone doesn't have it. Going we can close this. Way and particularly when you look at the teams that they've played, recently a lot of them are, downsized, right and some of that, is you, know just the availability of who they've had on their. Roster you look at the injury reports For chicago And, miami it's. Extensive there's not a lot of kind of choices or levers for those coaches to. Play so for them just downsizing on, necessity The cats are.
Speaker 2: Like, okay we have an answer for. That we can go to that pretty.
Speaker 1: Easily, yeah they they have so much roster. Versatility they and, like downsize is probably not even the right word Because hunter is his, biggest most power.
Speaker 2: Forwards fair, point.
Speaker 1: You, know they're still playing a pretty big lineup out there and they can you, know they they can still gum things. UP i, thought you, know they won this, game not with their. Offense they want it on the defensive end of the. Ball they they made timely stops and, yeah it wasn't. Pretty uh you, Know donovan gets stripped By Kyli, anderson.
Speaker 2: Who terrific defensive play by.
Speaker 1: It JUST i just Love Kyle anderson's.
Speaker 2: Game.
Speaker 1: MAN i just think he's such a. Winner both love. It, yeah, YEAH i think he's a. Winner and, like you, know it showed in his. MINUTES i, mean seven to eleven and seven for him in just twenty six. MINUTES i, thought, uh you, know so The calves didn't finish, perfectly BUT i did think they like they locked in and got stops at the right. Time they they ran guys off the, Line they made guys take that extra, step and, LIKE i, know like this is LIKE i don't, know maybe a little silly to, say but you, Know Duncan robinson steps out of out of, bounds and you know part of that is that The calves were like really pressuring that. PLAY i, mean you, know like they were made and they were Making miami. Work, true by the, way any. Thoughts do you think they would have. FILED i don't think, so because you, KNOW i. DON'T i didn't feel like fouling up three worked crazy well for them Against gosh was It.
Speaker 3: Portland, yeah it was a full eighteen. SECONDS i kind of felt like they were going to play it. Out it didn't look like they. Were they were scrambling to foul in that. Instance it didn't look like it to me, either WHICH i was because because when you think back to That portland, game they fouled on the catch, right like we're playing you uptight where we're going to foul you on the. Catch we're not going to allow you to get a shot. Off we're going not going to make the same mistake As Detroit. Duncan robinson caught the. BALL i think he even dribbled once and then turned and shot right like he happened to have stepped out of. Bounds but when you look At portland.
Speaker 2: As there was right.
Speaker 3: There, yeah the foul occurs in that time if that's what you're intentionally. Doing so don't think they would have in that. Spot but you, KNOW i think it's it's a good. Win LIKE i agree with, YOU i do feel like they're in a bit of a. Slump some of that, is you, know individual guys being in a. Slump we'll talk About darius in a, moment BECAUSE i think that's obviously going to be a big part of. It we talked about all season how when you look at the, numbers the offense goes With. Darius so When darius is playing poorly and he's shooting, poorly you're going to have some regression on that offensive end of the. Court BUT i think it's a good win Because, miami no matter who they have, available you know that that's going to be a team that's going to play really. Hard they're going to be really well, Coached they're going to have a game plan ready for. You and you, know The cavs are eleven and two this. Season on the second night of a back to, back that's an incredibly encouraging. Sign their only, losses.
Speaker 1: Especially on a night like tonight Where miami was did not play, yesterday.
Speaker 3: There are only two losses are both examples of that where the other team did not play the night. Before and guess who they? Were very try hard Teams The Miami heat and The Houston. Rockets, yeah those are teams that can get, you BUT i believe on the road for BOTH i believe so, yeah The calves being in this spot WHERE i think The houston one was at home matching now THAT i think about, it but this is another one of those indicators of them being an incredibly good. Team really really good teams take care of business on the second night of a back to back or in three and four, situations really really good teams win on the. Road The calves have the best winning percentage and the best record on the road this. Season the second place team is The Boston, celtics and that's noteworthy that The caves are better on the road Than boston Because boston the better road team than they are a home. Team so not only do The cavs have the best record in the, league not only do they have a great record on the second night of back to, backs not only do they have the best road, record they're just, really really damn good in every single way you look at. It they have an elite offense against elite, defenses they have e leite defense against the elite. Offenses this team is really damn, good AND i don't think it's a coincidence that they were the first team to clinch a playoff.
Speaker 1: Spot, YEAH i mean they're eight games up on the forty four and eighteen boss In. CELTICS i, MEAN i, know it's. Funny you would THINK i would get bored of reading all the different ways just to basically say that The cabs are fifty two to, ten And i'm not getting. Bored i'm having a lot of, fun just like looking at all these different contextual, things looking at this team's, raw this team's, record because, AGAIN i just think it's really really. Special there's just there's so many great things that are happening with The, cavs and sometimes it's hard to keep track of them. All that's why tools like zoom Ai companion are so. Important because only you can do your best, work Zoom Ai companion can help you do the, rest like automatically taking, notes answering meeting, questions and helping you respond to your. Coworker available at no dish cost with eligible paid. Plans we're happy with zoom Ai. Companion do you have anything else do you want to talk about on this game before we move to The chicago, Game BECAUSE i got a couple takes from The chicago.
Speaker 3: Game the only other thing THAT i kind of had noted with this game and something That i'm going to be keeping an eye on IS i found it was interesting That kenny changed up the substitution. PATTERN i think that's something that we really need to continue to keep an eye on of when he uses guys because we don't have a big sample of everybody being. AVAILABLE i thought it was Noteworthy Dean wade And Isaac ocrro check in in the second. Quarter like Normally Dean wade is a first quarter. Sub this, game he opted to go With Sam merril And Ty jerome And DeAndre hunter coming in off the bench, first and then it Was isaac And dean subbing in.
Speaker 2: Together in The chicago, game.
Speaker 3: It Was isaac And Javonte green checking in, together which was just, Like, hey we're going to throw defensive nightmares at you and they're going to be, really really. Active BUT i ACTUALLY i thought That isaac And dean gave them really good minutes when they checked in in that second. Quarter they really started to get some stops, there and that's when you saw them build up that second quarter. Lead SO i don't, know we don't have enough information to really get a sense of what the rotation is going to be when they're fully. Healthy BUT i just wanted to kind of highlight that and just something for you, know us and our listeners to keep an eye on with these future.
Speaker 1: Games here's another rotational. Thought enough more no center lineups getting. Run there was a stretch Where dean was playing the, Five DeAndre was at the. Four you, Know jared only played twenty five minutes tonight obviously just wasn't really his night. Overall but like part of me, wonders, because like in the, past it's been a very by necessity, lineup like either you, know someone's, hurt someone's in foul, trouble you, know whatever it may, be, uh or it's the team is just playing horrific basketball And kenny wants to try. Something those are been like the three precursors for the no center on the floor lineups for The. Cabs part of me wonders If kenny is thinking a little bit more long term about that and getting them some extra run for a playoff, run you, know because who knows If jared Or evan is going to miss a playoff game and you want foul trouble or get in foul trouble or whatever it may. Be and you you don't, want you, know those five, some especially With hunter on the, floor to be really getting their first run in those. Spots so just just an idle thought of whether that's you, know it's hard to know Because jared didn't have his best game. Today, YEAH i, mean how many games Does jared have more field goal attempts than?
Speaker 2: Points it's like.
Speaker 1: Never but but, yeah just that's my last little observation on the heat. Game can we move over to the balls?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, WELL i was just, gonna you, know comment on that. Is you know, what maybe some of it, Is, Hey jared's not at one hundred, percent like he's playing with a rap on his. Hand if you were playing with a rap on your hand and your hand was feeling one hundred, percent it's still going to throw you off a little.
Speaker 2: Bit and you, know maybe.
Speaker 3: Second night of a back to back there's some swordness there or whatever the case may. Be he obviously was phenomenal Against, chicago but maybe it. Is, hey you, know this is probably a spot where if we could Buy jared a little bit more, rest if we could not overly tax, him let's take a long term. Approach this is an opportunity to experiment with some. Things let's go with some of these No jared No evan, lineups like who knows kind of what the thinking is, there BUT i think that there's you, know a variety of things that could lead to that.
Speaker 1: Decision and that's why, coaching even the stuff we think we can easily, interpret like, rotations is always going to be a bit of a Black bob. Yep moving to That bulls game JUSTIN i gotta, say you, know that game was. Ugly you, know it was The cavs just were not Guarding Talen. Horton tucker was on his revenge store against the. World he was in the role Of Zachary resche in that game where it just borrowed shooter that can't.
Speaker 2: Miss, YEAH i.
Speaker 1: Mean couldn't, miss Couldn't it was getting to the rim every time he. Wanted you, Know collins was having a great. Game it was just not their. Game and then they score thirty two points in five. Minutes AND i was sitting there thinking watching that fourth, quarter watching that seven minute to two minutes stretching the fourth just giggling at WHAT i was. Watching AND i left it feeling LIKE i think that is my new favorite. Cavalanche it was not the most important cavalanche that has. Happened they've had way more high stakes. Ones they've had probably better like individual. Play but there's something About Javonte green launching a logo three and it barely even hitting the. Net it was so pure and like it was just like every possession down a different really fun thing happened and, felt you, know like with this, TEAM i do think they're so fueled by joy and not fueled by you, know like all right now it's time to get serious. Boys you, Know like that's not like their energy when they when they turn it. On and like Even jared like kind of having That i'm, Him i'm him moment and then he breaks it out. Laughing he couldn't hold it for three, seconds, LIKE i don't, know, man that was my ABSOLUTELY i think it's my new new favorite cavalanche after probably the original one against The pacers With kevin Hitting jetty in the corner with behind the back.
Speaker 2: Pass. Yeah, Man and we should probably get To kevin and in just a little bit, here.
Speaker 3: But you're, Right and but that run Against chicago kind of made me think about BECAUSE i was thinking to you, know our analysis from the past couple of years where we talked about how The cavs secret and the reason why they're so good is they play really, hard like they're connected all the. Time this isn't a team that can just kind of flip the, switch you, know when we think back to two years ago with a twenty two to twenty three, seasons not a ton of depth on the roster at that time because they just made a consolidation. Trade so WHEN i look at that run Against, chicago it kind of like resonated with me, that, oh we're now at that point where we can kind of flip the. Switch we have enough, depth we have that. ABILITY i don't THINK i don't like that. Either i'm just, saying, like we now, have you, know that level of, talent that level experience where, hey there's a little bit of switch flipping. HERE i do still, think echoing back to WHAT i said at the start of the, PODCAST i think how we're playing right now is, very very similar to how we played in some of those funks and some of those lulls and slumps in the. Season And i'm very interested to see do we correct that before it bites, us before you, know we lose two out of, three or before we have a loss to a team that we shouldn't lose against without that negative reinforcement as an end result from the, game are we able to kind of correct things and get out of those slumps and amend some of those bad, habits or does the fact that we keep getting positive reinforcement with these comeback wins end up resulting in us having one of those prolonged slumps that takes us off that pace that we're keeping an eye on, Of, hey can they get sixty seven? Wins that's that's Something i'm really interested in BECAUSE i feel like that first slump that we had came directly after we had a few comeback wins and games where you, know we just kind of took over in the fourth quarter after not playing our best basketball.
Speaker 1: Before, YEAH i, mean it's definitely a consideration because it's not just the The Portland Chicago. MIAMI i don't think they've played that good of a game against The. CELTICS i think they had great. Moments there were moments of, Greatness but you, know our our dear friendiation in the discord AND i were kind of going back and forth in our game thread channel during that just being like quit playing the dribble Against Jason tatum when all he wants is to step, back you, Know, like, yeah the little DETAILS i thought was were not as sharp Against boston as they have been in the.
Speaker 2: Past you.
Speaker 1: KNOW i just so, LIKE i don't think this is just a matter of they just were kind of playing with their. FOOD i think they're they're going through a little bit of a stretch where they're just not quite as, sharp which is, like you, know, normal and like normally it's way less fun than, this AS i kind of said at the beginning of the. Podcast so, yeah it was definitely it was like the most fun switch flip. Possible you. Know it was like, okay and it felt like all they needed to do is lock in on defense and then everything just started unlocking for. Them you, know they got, running they got you, Know jared got going with a couple two way plays and oh my, goodness Was jared good in that. GAME i mean that was kind of my wider, segue which is WHEN i watch him do that justin SOMETIMES i think you need to shoot, More, jared like because the touch with his left hand as he's catching in traffic and stepping through and protecting the ball and like in weaving through the traffic to. Finish some of those finishes were. Unbelievable and SOMETIMES i forget how good his touch is in in a not you, know in that traffic. Environment you. KNOW i think Sometimes jared can have games where it's like if they're in front of, him he just kind of keeps the ball moving and doesn't play like. Selfishly, Yeah and in a game Where evan's, out you kind of see him be, like, Well i'm going to need to like Be i'm going to need to attack WHEN i get the. Ball as a role, MAN i can't look to play team. BALL i just got to attack the hoop And i've left that. Game she's being Like, jared like you can do that against a lot of.
Speaker 2: Teams.
Speaker 3: Yep, Yeah and you, know SOMETIMES i think it's on. Him sometimes you, know it's, hey maybe they needed a reminder of What jared can. Do and you, know often with big, men they're reliant on other people to defeed them the, ball, Right AND i think one of the great things About jared is he's able to recognize what the defense is giving him as. Well like it wasn't just that he had twenty five and seventeen on the night Against, chicago had three, assists by the, Way oh my, God, yeah that's. Insane he also but he also had you, know three assists because he can recognize when the defense is trying to cheat and take things away from him and find the open. Man he had two steals because that sense of team basketball and where the passes are going to go translates to the defensive side of the. Ball, like he's just a, really really intelligent. Player and OBVIOUSLY i don't think that he's playing at one hundred percent health right, now but seeing him still have a game like that as he works his way back to the full health was really really encouraging to. See and you, KNOW i think he's a, big big part of what makes this team so. Special AND i think you're. RIGHT i think there's times, where, hey we could probably get him going to the basket a little more like. That that was honestly one of my gripes with the our start Against boston WAS i felt, Like, hey we're not really attacking the basket a whole. Lot LIKE i understand That Al horford has given us issues at, times but we're having just a little bit too much reverence for, Him like we were able to get jareded going in that game against Christats, Porzingis, LIKE i, think what did he have eighteen and seventeen or something crazy like that in the game Against Boston Nomen, Like it's not like this is a matchup where he can't have, Success and you would think it'd be even more easy to get some of those easy buckets Against boston Without porzingis in. There SO i thought that maybe that that was something that they could have done better to start that. Game to your point about them not playing, great BUT i THINK i would disagree just a little bit. OVERALL I I i get where you were coming from with that, game BUT i think some of it was, just, man they're they're hitting absolutely, everything so we're going to, nitpick you, know the the nuances of defense when in, general Normally Jason tatum misses.
Speaker 2: A lot of those.
Speaker 1: Shots, yeah, fair you, KNOW i just THOUGHT i thought their detail work just wasn't at WHAT i would consider their usual. Standard going back to The bulls, GAME i think the other guy we got to talk about Is Chafonte, green who gets his first. Rotation. MINTS i thought it was a, great great lever to pull From, kenney. THOUGH i mean he said he was planning on it when he was doing his post game. Availability it wasn't a break glass in case of A Javonte. Green this was like the plan to put him in early in this. Game AND i thought him And ocoro together really changed the entire energy of the game they started closing. OUT i, mean, boy are those arms long For? Green he covers ground so, well, Dude and he's balanced and you, know he's one of those one of those guys where the contest is is closer than the opposing player thinks it's going to be as they go. Up you know that that WINGSPAN i think closes the gap really really, well and he'sun balance and all that fun. STUFF i thought he had about as good of a debut as you could have. Expected what were your thoughts from?
Speaker 2: Him?
Speaker 3: YEAH i thought he was really. FUN i liked him And ocoro checking in. TOGETHER i kind of like having him as a guy For ocoro to kind of like get mentored from to some examp to some, extent, right Because Javonte green is not as good of a three point shooter As isaac O, corol but he with his activity and the way that he flies around the. Court that is exactly how you buy, yourself you, know, Time that's how you buy yourself. OPPORTUNITY i think that he as we set after the, BIO i think he's a great insurance piece because he can play two through four with that activity level and the length that you. Reference but just the way he crashes the, glass the way that he's always, moving that's exactly the type of player That Isaacle coro needs to be so that you, know we're not just living and dying with the three point. Shot you, are you, know filling up the box. Score and speaking of, Which ocor had one flying rebound tonight that jumped off the screen like he is looking At. Athletic he's giving them great. Minutes BUT i like having two options, there right because you don't, Know, hey Is Isaac ocor going to have issues in the. Playoffs, AGAIN i don't think it's as likely BECAUSE i think he's being used in different ways rather than you, know standing in the corner and his success being judged on whether or not he hits that. Shot but if he does have a series where you know things aren't going his way and you need to go to someone that can bring that defensive stopper kind of. Mentality Javonte green is an option you can go. To right his depth is overrated in the playoffs options are not.
Speaker 1: WELL i think there's also just the the factor Of oquoro And green being the best guard defenders on the. Roster, yeah you, know AND i feel like him showing, that, like, HEY i can come in and muck up the game against a team that's playing e leite initiator kind of guard that is giving us some. TROUBLE i thought it just gives them a little bit of a different, option you, Know LIKE i felt like they guarded different With ocoro In green out there than they would have guarded With ocoro And wade out. There AND i Love wade as a, defender but there's just a you, know it's a different, style it's a different versatility for them to. Have SO I i AND i think that's what's really exciting about the guy is that he's kind of a two through four on defense and they didn't really. HAVE i don't even know If okoro is that really he's more of a, tooth you, know one to three on. Defense, yeah but you, know just him being a little little long a.
Speaker 3: Good job On, like you, KNOW i we probably shouldn't speak as confidently In Javanti green's ability to go to through four because we haven't really seen.
Speaker 1: IT i just feel Like i've seen him play a lot of four in his. Career you know it's, true so but you, KNOW i don't. Know it just FELT i felt like they had a slightly different kind of dude on the. Roster And i've said this a. Lot when you're looking for deep depth pieces that are not going to be in your day to day, rotation you want one of two. Things you either want a guy who plugs into exactly what you do and provides, insulation or you want a guy who does something completely. Different you know that like has a skill or an energy that maybe isn't quite matched by anyone else on the. Roster AND i feel Like green kind of represents some version of a middle ground there where he isn't quite A quoro, Clone like there are some meaningful, differences like can being a freak, Athlete, yeah but he. Can but he can do. Both you, know he can do the job even if he's going to do it. Differently SO i feel like he's a nice blend AND i, mean just remember he was starting games for That pelicans team and now he. Can't you, know he's not even in the rotation. Here SO i just feel like it's such an embarrassment of riches for this team in the middle of the roster and now at the even the bottom of the.
Speaker 2: Roster, yeah, YEAH i totally. AGREE i thought it was a, really really fun.
Speaker 3: Debut the depth of this team continues to just really blow me, away AND i think it's going to serve them really well over these last twenty games of the. SEASON i can't believe there's still twenty games. Left that's it's, nuts but it's gonna be a challenging march for.
Speaker 1: Them do you want the playoffs to get here or do you still, like are you still enjoying the ride and? THAT i guess those aren't mutually, exclusive but, YEAH i kind of want that you feel about.
Speaker 3: IT i want the playoffs to get, here just Because i've had so much Post All Star, break LIKE ptsd when it comes to injuries and other things like. That LIKE i part of me wants to see more problem. SOLVING i want to see guys work through some. STUFF i want to see different lineup. Combination i'd like to, see you, Know hunter with the core for that still hasn't happen since his first. Game, like there's things THAT i still want to see from the regular, season BUT i also just want this very very good team THAT i know is very very good to be whole and tested in the. Playoffs like That's i'm really really interested to see what that looks.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah i'm kind of in the middle of. It you, Know i'm enjoying the regular. Season, still there's always the you only have so many games left in the year counter That i'm always looking at as a guy who really really loves watching basketball and really really loves watching The. Cavs but then there's also the THE i don't know how much MORE i need them to prove to me in this. Setting, yeah but then then on the other, HAND i want to see him like can they get to sixty, seven sixty, eight sixty nine? WINS i want to See the streak is very motivated to me right, now you, know it's it's Been it's really nice to have, This like if they were kind of.
Speaker 3: Cool to like set the franchise record win streak and then beat that win streak that you set earlier this, season like setting the franchise record twice in a, year it would be a hell of an.
Speaker 1: Accomplishment, yeah before we went, ALIVE i asked, you, like where do you think the streak? Ends and you threw out a couple things Like milwaukee or Maybe, memphis and you, Know i'm throwing out.
Speaker 2: Maybe brooklyn because you know we haven't been playing.
Speaker 1: Well but it was so. Funny but THEN i just, SAID i was, like, well they never, lose SO i don't know where to. LOOK i don't know. WHAT i don't know where the signs are, coming you know?
Speaker 2: Where? Where where is the?
Speaker 1: Uh like there's not enough track record for losses for this team for me to. See like with The lebron, TEAMS i could see a loss a mile. Away there were tremors before the. Earthquake, here LIKE i know exactly what this. Means oh, yeah there's a loss coming in one. Day like even if they were, great even if they were in good, FORM i knew when a loss was. Coming and NOW i just am like every game's kind of an, Adventure SO i, DO i. DO i am still very much enjoying the, journey but LIKE i, mean you've seen MY. Dms i'm perpetually angsty about injuries BECAUSE i just so so, OVERTLY i KNOW i. Am it's BECAUSE i just so desperately want this team to get to the playoffs hole and like in good form so we can really without a.
Speaker 2: Doubt, no AND i really.
Speaker 3: Do think that you should take advantage of the resources available to. YOU i am the ultimate barometer and like record keeper of every minor ailment that has ever happened to A Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Cavalier, yeah BUT i think you're zagging just Because i'm too.
Speaker 2: Angsty i'm not. Zaging i'm not Zagon you're just making fun of.
Speaker 3: Me, no SOMETIMES i, am BUT i make it very clear When i'm making fun of. YOU i honestly think you, know like if we're looking at, IT dg has not been the same since you, know he took his fall against The. KNICKS i think that's very very. Clear but WHEN i look at The boston, GAME i thought he was moving around. WELL i thought he actually played a good. GAME i was higher on that game than you were by quite a.
Speaker 2: BIT i look at these.
Speaker 3: Last two, games what like quite a bit a. Bit, Yeah i'm feeling worse sneaking that one. End most of the WORDS i say aren't intentional card that's just me showing space so my brain can get to the next. Sentence but WHEN i look at like his recent, GAMES i think that a lot of this doesn't look like he's not getting to his. SPOTS i feel like he is just in a slump from a shooting. STANDPOINT i thought the game Against chicago was actually interesting because that was one of the first TIMES i could, remember maybe since the first game Against, boston where the misshots were getting him to start taking really bad. Shots and you, know maybe you could spin that, as, hey it's better than him fading into the background and not shooting anymore like we used to see in the past when we're trying to win a championship and we're at the. Standard neither extreme is the right. ANSWER i would, prefer you, know.
Speaker 1: The extremist play.
Speaker 3: Good, yeah well, no the honestly the the what the middle ground is is what happening Against. BOSTON i thought he took good. SHOTS i will live with the misses that he. TOOK i honestly Like miami closer to. THAT i, think for the most, part is a pretty efficient. GAME i thought the passing was really. Good, uh if there wasn't that one grenade at the end of the shot, clock it probably was a pretty good shooting night from. Him but you, know in, general like just play your, game take the shots as they. COME i understand when you're in a slump you want to shoot your way out of. It BUT i feel like he's moving around, well and this is just one of those things that, happens uh in a you, know four game stretch throughout the course of a.
Speaker 1: Year here's here's.
Speaker 2: Hoping you.
Speaker 1: KNOW i felt like he played completely fine. Tonight you, know didn't have the most efficient, night but still a ten assists to two. Turnovers you, know got to his spots pretty. WELL i felt like the offense was coming pretty well with him on the. Floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah the only Thing i'll say about him getting to his spots is he didn't take a shot inside the three point arc in the first, half and it felt just maybe a little Like fred van vitally floating around on the outside instead of getting that driving kick game.
Speaker 2: Going so MAYBE i.
Speaker 3: Would have liked to see a little bit of. That but THOUGH i thought overall it was a fine. Game he turned his ankle in the fourth quarter Against, miami who we'll see what happens, there given how cautious they've been with, injuries and maybe if they feel like he could benefit from a rest. Game there's an Opportunity friday Against charlotte get him ready for The. Bucks SO i wouldn't be surprised to see. That BUT i honestly just think it's a, slump AND i don't think that it's any surprise that When DG's in a bit of a, slump The cavs as a whole going a bit, slim because which is WHY i, SAID i want TO i care more about his a game in a series Against boston than like than anyone else's because of, THAT i think he really is the. THING i think the thing that makes us the most special right now is our you, KNOW nba record, offense and the one who makes our offense the most, special the most, consistently your, Boy Darius.
Speaker 2: Garland, yeah, Yep, Hey.
Speaker 3: I'll add this just because they did a little bit of research after the last, podcast BECAUSE i was trying to figure out exactly where his defense was at for those four, games just to see how many field goals is he, allowing how or his man how is his man shooting Versus darius compared to when they're not playing Against. DARIUS i did find THE nba Dot com tracking data says he's allowing seven point five shot midfield goals a, Game so seventeen points per game was what he was. Allowing his man when defended By darius shot seven percent worse than how they otherwise.
Speaker 2: Shot so they were shooting.
Speaker 3: Forty eight point nine percent from two point range within six. Feet actually we're shooting fifteen percent. Worse so when you're talking, about, okay is it a net positive when he's out there if his SHOT's not. Falling you, know he did average nineteen in those four. Games if you take out that first one twenty. Two he was playmaking really well those last few. Games SO i, still you, know stand by EVERYTHING i said in those. GAMES i think that he's rushing some of those. Shots he needs to settle down and maintain his composure Against. Boston but for all the talk about the, defense AND i think some of that was influenced by how much the broadcast was talking about, it even though you, know there weren't really that many field goal attempts period Versus. Darius for all that, TALK i thought it was worthwhile to look at the numbers and, see, hey they're actually shooting worse than expected when when they play Against.
Speaker 1: AARIUS i. AGREE i don't have anything to. ADD i mean that masteres my. EYE i care way more about his offense THAN i worry about his. Defense me too in this, series and uh uh in that in that potential, series AND i just want to see. IT i want to see it come to.
Speaker 3: Fruition, yeah, yeah Because boston's going to play mismatch. Basketball like you, know listening to The simmons And brazilo like that was their number one complain about the. Team, it's, hey they don't run. Anything they just, Say, okay who's the shortest guy on the. Court we're you, know we're going to go at, him let's force a. Switch we're going to play isolation. Basketball wherever we have the, mismatch you sub someone out for For, darius for for defense. Reasons they're going to do the exact same thing To. Donovan they did that last year in the. Playoffs it's not about how they are as a. Defender it's, hey that guy shorter than our, Guys we're going to try to shoot over.
Speaker 1: Them, absolutely, brother anything.
Speaker 3: Else before we wrap this, up let's let's talk a little bit About Kevin love because.
Speaker 2: That that's true.
Speaker 1: Idea, yeah it's just nice to see him, back nice to see it was cool even Seeing angel working. Sideline you, know it was just a nice Little kazarini interest In kevin coming and Mobbin Richard. JEFFERSON i JUST i always go back to what a special locker room that, was and how clearly like bonded they are all from that. Experience and it was also cool to Hear kevin say that if he ever makes The hall Of, fame he'd love to be inducted as a. Cavalier you, know that's that's special because if you look at the front end of his time, here like you weren't sure it was going to be a happy. Marriage, no you weren't sure that he was going to remember his time In cleveland, Finally so the fact that you, know he's going out of his way to say something like that just goes to show how special his time here was for. Him and he was a very special, cavalier that's for damn.
Speaker 2: Sure yeah he really, wasn't you.
Speaker 3: KNOW i think it's a good example of how tenuous the team building process can be at, times and you, know discussing fit when you have expectations and the pressure that that puts. On But kevin went through a lot with The. Calves you, know he was there for a lot of really big moments and stepped. Up really cool tweet here From Tom, Withers Kevin love said after the Game he's been told his jersey will be retired by The calves and hung next To Nick gilbert's And Rocket. Arena oh, yeah WHICH i think is really really.
Speaker 2: Cool and you, know.
Speaker 1: Also shout To angel wearing the bow tie. Pen, yeah you, KNOW i thought that was a nice.
Speaker 3: Touch i'm glad you mentioned that she was there for the. Covers that the whole kind of kaz reunion feel for this game was really. Good and you, know you KNOW i always enjoy our j on the. Call another national, Game. Carter we just keep winning all these NATIONAL tv. Games put The calves ON tv more, often.
Speaker 1: No, kidding, man. Unbelievable what a.
Speaker 3: Run and you know we even give closer games now because those first year that they put us, on they were twenty thirty point, loss you, know wins by The. Caves people are tuning out in the middle of the third. Quarter now we're providing. Entertainment now we're Providing come let me tell, You, yeah we know. Exactly you know how to, pander what what, sells what sells ON, tv and what sells is The Cleveland. Cavaliers big thanks to everyone that tune in live on. YouTube make sure you guys like and. Subscribe click that notification bell.
Speaker 2: So you know when we're going.
Speaker 3: Live if you're listening via podcast and you want to support, us leave us a, rating leave a, review subscribe, unsubscribed resubscribe and help cook those. Books if you want to be part Of Chase doown's exclusive discord. Chat sandy screenshaw their view To chase Down pot at gmail dot. Com however you choose to support, us we really do appreciate. It make sure you guys are staying safe out. There until next, time go cats, There Sat sak