Speaker 1: It is Saturday, October the eighteenth, and we have got a movie for you. It is a foreign language coming of age teen horror film that isn't rated very well on Rotten Tomatoes, but trust us, there's a reason it's number fourteen on our list. And welcome to this horror hit List episode of Amy and TJ. We are getting into the top fifteen. And this was one. In the last episode at Least Rose, we warned everybody, Okay, this is the one. If y'all didn't think we were crazy before, you might question us on this one.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was actually surprised.
Speaker 3: I remember exactly where we were when we watched this, and we were both it was exactly what we needed. It was a morning horror movie and we were kind of our own horror at the time, and so this was just such a fun departure from real life that also fit the bill of the type of movie we like.
Speaker 2: And I was surprised. You know what, I've just kind of.
Speaker 3: Come to realize. Do you and I ever disagree about whether we like a horror movie. We've almost always had the same reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we might have to find one. Okay, we might have to find one. I don't have one that I disagree. There's some we enjoyed mine.
Speaker 2: You know what substance, Yes, okay, that is the one. I liked it. You hated it.
Speaker 3: That's rare, though, and this could have been one where I could see, even people who are of like mind and love horror movies. One person might love it, the other person might not. I was actually, I think this is the moment when I looked at you and I thought he's the one. We both get this movie the mom I'm kidding, but it was one of many. But no, seriously, I don't think this movie is for everyone. And the fact that we both loved it. I just liked it, but loved it spoke volume.
Speaker 1: But it's for some folks. They're very specific reasons, like there are some people don't look like some demonic possession and creeps them out. Others don't want to see the gore and the guts. I am a body. Horror is the thing I do not handle and don't ever want to see. And that's why the substance, as awesome as everybody was in that movie, and even the story and the idea of it.
Speaker 3: Excuse you, you couldn't, but it's funny you like. This one has body horror in it for sure.
Speaker 1: But it's it's just violence, like like I could take a brutal death. Don't give me the sounds and these slow.
Speaker 3: Sewing up a cut like with stitches and needles.
Speaker 2: I get that things.
Speaker 1: Get did, things get deformed and all that. I'm not a big fan of that. So this is I didn't know and we didn't know what to expect. But I see the release date on It was October fourteenth of twenty twenty two, and that is about two months before shit hit the fang with us at ABC. Yeah, so this might have been a thing that we had had Netflix on and go oh there was a new something and we turned it on.
Speaker 2: That's exactly I remember.
Speaker 3: It was in the early days of us not knowing what our lives were going to look like, everything was turned upside down. We just happened upon this movie on Netflix a few months after its release, I believe, and we were transfixed by it.
Speaker 1: So a few Japanese teenagers really helped us through it all. So thank you to the cast of Remember. And it's not just the word remember, it's actually spelled out a very specific way.
Speaker 3: Here, like as in Remembering a Body Yes re slash member.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, if you go looking for it, that is what it looks like. And it is number fourteen on our list. Released as we mentioned in October of twenty twenty two, one hour and forty two minutes long. It didn't come with a rating. But the genre is horror, drama and sci fi. I thought that was a good way to put it. And we have two. I've never had to say it in plural synopsis, synopsis synopsis, I don't know. I never had to say it before. We got two different one and I liked them both, so I included them both. The first one here the synopsis for this movie. Six high schoolers stuck in a murderous time loop must find these scattered remains of an unknown victim to break the curse and finally see another day.
Speaker 2: That's well said.
Speaker 1: Couldn't come up with that better recepts, all right? There was another.
Speaker 2: There's an alternative.
Speaker 3: A high school student and her friends are trapped in a time loop by a ghost, and the only way to escape is to find the corpse of the ghost's previous victim.
Speaker 1: Also good, more specific, Yes, it is a more confusing in that second one. Now, this one was not released here in the US. Again a Japanese film, but it did make eight point one million dollars at the box office. Now, a lot of these you don't the names of a lot of these, the cast here, but the director is Ichiro Hasumi. I think he has a couple of other horror credits to his name, some TV stuff as well. But again, this is not a huge movie, not a huge cast, and not a huge director necessarily attached to it. Ron Tomatoes score here fifty seven percent. That ain't great. The audience score fifty percent. Now you seeing that, would you have been turned off immediately by now?
Speaker 3: Really no, I would not, because actually fifty percent, I'm like, all right, half the people who watched it loved it. I could be in that half, So that would not have scared me away at all.
Speaker 1: That's funny, are you the logic you put behind a ron Tomatoes score. Some sample critic reviews here. The critics said, this a pleasant surprise for viewers without prejudices towards the tropes of juvenile cinema. They're saying, you got to be able to deal with some teeny bopper stuff.
Speaker 3: Correct, There was almost a little bit of a rom com in the middle of the horror, so at one point we just burst out laughing.
Speaker 2: I actually thought it was welcome comedic relief.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if it was. It wasn't necessarily funny that they're showing you, but it's so silly that it's happening in that moment you had to last.
Speaker 2: It might even be cultural. I mean, yes, that's what.
Speaker 3: We were thinking, like it could be that in Japanese movies, this is just something that happens. Because it seemed ridiculous and we were watching it. This band of teenagers, unlikely friends who were actually not friends in high school were thrust together trying to solve this mystery where they were all kind of in this nightmarish loop. But then in the middle of it all, they're enjoying volleyball on the beach, and it was like, wait, is this Japanese version of nine O two one zero? Or am I still watching a horror movie? But it actually was hilarious and we loved it.
Speaker 1: But I did places and looking this up that yes, this there were culture moments that played to the Japanese culture and books and art and things that they were into. It absolutely says, so with that in mind, it does make more sense. Another review here from a critic saying that Remember is, in short, a pleasant experience that succeeds in offering both the thrills of a horror slasher as well as a touching exploration of romantic and amical amical feelings.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, so there is a little wrong comment.
Speaker 1: There supposed to But I had not. I loved some people don't want it, and this is not what I should have been into. I love the friendship story.
Speaker 2: I loved that you loved it.
Speaker 1: I actually did it. This one.
Speaker 3: It had heart, you know, in a almost in a silly way. But again, because of the different culture, you could almost accept it. I feel like if this were an American made movie, it wouldn't have it. It wouldn't have landed the way it did.
Speaker 2: The fact that it was Japanese.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, edwould No, I don't know that. And if we had someone here in this country doing this movie, and it wouldn't have played well probably in a different culture as well, if we did it the way we.
Speaker 2: Do it here in America.
Speaker 3: Right now, I'm really curious to see what the audience reviews were like with the fifty to fifty you had to have some bad and some good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for many, by the time the big monster shows up, the film will have already devolved into an illogical and silly exercise, and for some the final third will be laughably goofy. I agree, and that would have been in my positive view, all of that sounds about.
Speaker 2: Right, agreed. I don't.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that is a fair depiction of what happens. And so this, like we have talked about in this list, we have genuinely scary, horrifying, creepy, awful, but also funny, comedic, heartwarming. There are so many different types of horror stories, and I do think it depends on the mood you're in, the person you're with, the time of day, what you're experiencing in your life. They can all have a place as long as they're well executed. And I think this one knows what it is and leaned right into it, and we appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You know, for us as well, maybe we did find it at the right time, not just time in our lives, but also right time of day. We were just in the morning, turn the TV on and see it there and it gave us an hour and a half of not thinking about anything else, and it was a good time.
Speaker 2: It was right, truly this.
Speaker 3: We watched this movie in the first few weeks of not having a job and not knowing if we were gonna have a job, and feeling so stressed and lost about all of that and what we should do with our lives and our time and where our heads.
Speaker 2: So this was just the perfect escape.
Speaker 1: Yes, to see Japanese teenagers killed repeatedly, Yes, that's what we needed. Also another review here, I haven't seen this word before and enjoyable ish horror. That was okay, but I probably won't watch it again. The film starts off good with a gory murder, but afterwards it gets quite slow for a bit, and after a while there are some more gory murders in quite a horrific monster, But then the film goes back to trying to be a drama and gets a bit boring.
Speaker 2: I never thought it was boring. No, I never thought it was boring.
Speaker 3: I did think it was hilarious and funny and entertaining. For it to flip back and forth to different genres, Yes, you.
Speaker 1: Know what we should add It did add to this movie being funny is again it's his foreign language in Japanese, so you can choose to read along with the subtitles, or you could do like we did.
Speaker 2: With the dub.
Speaker 3: And we love the dub because the dub actors, I don't know who you are, but it's always comical.
Speaker 1: It gives us life every time because you're supposed to be some Japanese teenager twirling around on a beach and you're actually some twenty year old white guy in a booth in La trying to voice it. It's hard to put yourself in.
Speaker 3: That it makes it even funnier. I love Dove movie. It's great, and especially when it's horror, because somehow it's I don't know. It just adds a whole other layer to the entertainment when you're watching and hearing the dub voice.
Speaker 1: So we highly recommend the dubbing. Now one more for you here someone here saying I like Asian cinema in general because I finally find it pleasantly weird perfect. The plot sounds intriguing, the idea nothing new, but if you're a fan of Time Loop, it could be worth a watch, or at least that's what I thought. Unfortunately, After a good beginning, the movie turns from a horror with potential to a weird friendship trip where the movie completely loses its way. Kind of agree with that too, Yeah, but we.
Speaker 2: Were okay, we were willing to get lost.
Speaker 1: It was a friendship trip. It was funny, these sweet tender moments that I'm seeing these again Japanese actors with very American sounding dubbing. It's made for a bizarre movie to watch. I enjoyed it. Why this one? I think we made it pretty clear here why this one's on our list rose that meant a lot to us at the time. We didn't realize, but it gave us an escape and it is. It's a pleasant surprise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we just recently rewatched it and it held. Just wanted to say, so when we come back, we're going to talk about why it made our list, who it's for, who it's not for, what to pair it with, and to tease.
Speaker 2: For our next movie on the list. To stay with.
Speaker 3: Us continuing our episode on remember Ree with a backslash, member number fourteen on our Halloween Horror hit list. And this is a departure from a lot of the other movies we have on our list. First of all, it's a foreign film. It's we watched it dubbed, it's a Japanese film, and it blends a lot of genres and is abrupt in some ways where suddenly you're in the middle of some gory horror shot and then you have kids coming of age playing volleyball on a beach. But that relief and that back and forth was actually a huge part of the reason why we loved it and thought it was hilarious and interesting and fascinating and fun to watch period for a horror movie.
Speaker 2: So we went through some of the reviews. They are certainly mixed.
Speaker 3: But why it made our list it just I think I love the way some movies make you feel, and this movie, I remember how I felt when I watched it. I felt I was laughing, I was entertained. I felt I was in the moment. I wasn't thinking about anything else that was going on in my life. I was there for it, and I was immersed and invested in the story. And I feel like any movie they can do that that can pull you in is worth watching and worth recommending.
Speaker 1: And again this is me. I enjoyed the friendship story. I appreciate. There was a kind of a loaner. Then they got the cool kids here, You've got the athlete over here, you've got the cute guy over here, and all these people are not really mixing together until they were forced together and had to form their own family and their own love and their own structure based on circumstances. I loved how it showed us what they were and what they became, and what they found out is that we are actually the same, and it took a monster chasing us to realize we're not different at all.
Speaker 3: What's more uniting than a common foe, right, And that is kind of the premise of the movie. I feel like it was a little bit like sixteen Candles meets a ghost story. And I know you don't necessarily know what sixteen Candles is all about, but for me, that was a coming of age or breakfast club something where you have an unlikely group of people coming together again, another white coming of age movie that you did not see.
Speaker 1: I love when you start giving me cultural references to help me understand another cultural reference, and all of them I've never heard of.
Speaker 3: What's a black coming of age movie that you think about and you say that that reminds me of coming up coming.
Speaker 1: Of age movie for black folks. Yeah, yeah, we don't have that's usually just the beginning and an end. We don't get a chance to go through. Who wants to sit and look at a black life on the big screen?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: This is another I'm sorry I asked, all right, who's it for?
Speaker 3: This movie is for anybody who wants to be entertained and who is not going to Who's again? I think I've said this for Sometimes you're looking for an elevated horror movie experience, this is not for you. You don't if you are looking for something to scare you, to make you think deeper, this is not your movie.
Speaker 2: This is just.
Speaker 3: Fun, laughable, laugh out loud, but still in the horror genre kind of a movie. And I just think you definitely need to be in that mindset when you sit down to watch it.
Speaker 1: Illogical, I think said in that word was using one of the reviews. It's illogical. I won't trying to make sense of what's happening. It's kids in a time loop, for God's sake, They're waking up every day living the same damn day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's groundhog Day.
Speaker 3: As well, there's another movie that it could be, like groundhog Day meets a ghost story?
Speaker 1: A ghost story? Is that a movie? Or you just saying anything.
Speaker 3: Ghost like a haunting, some sort of a haunting story with a groundhog Day and a sixteen candles all mixed in one.
Speaker 1: I didn't know I was missing another cultural reference of yours.
Speaker 2: Yes, so anyone? Yes, I like who it's not for you? Wrote anyone who needs things to make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not your movie?
Speaker 2: But isn't that We've talked about this before.
Speaker 3: In horror movies, you just really do have to suspend logic and judgment.
Speaker 2: And often most movies that is the case, even.
Speaker 1: The High bra Ones, right, who didn't people love get Out? Wasn't that a horror movie?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How much of that made sense?
Speaker 3: Like almost none of it? But it was just a fun, watch wild movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're all a logical.
Speaker 3: I remember when we watched it, we had we were so surprised. We did not think it was going to be good. Look, a lot of times, we let's be honest, we will deliver pick bad, campy, horribly active movies just to laugh.
Speaker 2: We actually thought this was gonna be one of them.
Speaker 3: It's not far from it, but we can't tell how well it was acted because of the dubbing.
Speaker 1: And you know that I'm usually an immediate no. If I see there's a foreign language subtitle, don't want to do it. I don't know why we did this.
Speaker 3: For some reason, you were like, all right, let it rip. Maybe we didn't know it was dubbed. And then we started watching it, and I remember you looked at me, you said, all right, you picked a good one, and we just knew we were in for a fun ride.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what it was.
Speaker 3: Food drink pairing. Look her mom is constantly making her, isn't it? Was it potstickers? Was it dumplings? Like I would say, go ahead, lean in dumpling sushi, have some fun, like a good opportunity to have a beautiful, wonderful Japanese meal. You go, bachi sushi, Just lean into the culture. See saki, some good Japanese beer.
Speaker 1: See how's going with the I didn't even put a Japanese twist on it. I was gonna say anything that fits in a lunch box, because all these kids has allow a lunch room and the library. He puts you in the back to school mood. So I was gonna say, grab.
Speaker 3: An apple, maybe a banana in there a little Well, the mom was making like extra Japanese treats for her to bring to her friends, which she didn't have in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, in her lunch box, so yes, you could either way.
Speaker 1: It's well she got friends at the end, and then.
Speaker 3: And then her mom after well, I don't want to give away the ending, but when her mom gave her some snacks to take to school, she actually had friends.
Speaker 2: It was very sweet.
Speaker 1: You only had to watch them die over fifty nights.
Speaker 2: And over and over again.
Speaker 3: All right, you can watch this on Netflix, so it's easy if you've got that subscription, free and fun and again, just suspend judgment, have a blast, order some sushi.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a perfect night.
Speaker 1: Sushi's a good call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: So all right, our next movie on the list, this will be number thirteen. This is one of your all time favorites, is it?
Speaker 1: Yes? We did, oh, number thirteen. It is the blackest movie on our list, one hundred percent, absolutely, and it would actually be higher up on our list except for it's such a new movie. We didn't think we could call it a classic. Just yet but it is knocking on the door. Yes, this is a favorite for sure, so don't miss that. Number thirteen will be coming your way tomorrow, but for now, we always appreciate you having a good horror fest with us. I'm TJ. Holmes. I have a famie robot will talk to us sooner