Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and v Love in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: I'm Matt Miller in New York filling in for Carolin and Ed Whu are on assignment today. Coming up in Nvidia invests two billion dollars in Marvel to collaborate on silicon photonics technology. We had the details of that deal, plus the debt binge fueling. The AI boom continues with core Weave raising eight and a half billion dollars more from banks and investors to expand its neo cloud capacity, and wearable health tech company Whoop gets a ten point one billion dollar valuation after its latest raise. We'll sit down with the CEO, but first take it look at what's going on in markets, because we have a rally on our hands today, the S and P five hundred gaining one and a half percent, the NASDAK gaining one and a quarter percent. Right now, it is worth pointing out that even adding two hundred and ninety points only brings us back to twenty three two hundred and forty five so we're rising up but still do a relatively low level, and Brent crude trading at over one hundred and seven dollars a barrel right now one oh seven seventy one. Nimex is trading at one hundred and three dollars a barrew, so even WTI well over that one hundred dollars level, as the President tells aids at least according to the Wall Street Journal, that he is thinking about leaving Iran without.
Speaker 2: Reopening the Strait of horror moves.
Speaker 3: Let's bring in Bloomberg Balance of power cost Kaylee Limes for the latest on the war in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Kaylee, what do we know?
Speaker 4: Well, Matt, it does seem to be a narrative that is changing each and every day. At this time yesterday, we were talking about President Trump who was openly threatening publicly on true social to potentially attack a running an energy infrastructure, even water infrastructurally desalination plans. If Iron did not reach a deal with the United States to reopen the straight of wour moves, then you have fresh reporting in the Wall Street Journal that he is privately told aids around him, according to people familiar with the matter, that he would be willing to wrap up the primary military and naval operations right now, like destroying the Iranian navy and other military targets, without actually securing the reopening of the strait, leaving that either to diplomacy or potentially for other countries to step in to try to secure. And that would be in keeping with what we're hearing from the President on True Social this morning, specifically when it pertains to jet fuel, he talks about other countries, including the United Kingdom, who need jet fuel and aren't getting it right now out of the Middle East, that he would suggest either number one, you buy that from the United States, he argues that we have plenty of jet fuel, or you go into the strait yourself to try to secure it. He actually said, and this is a quote, go get your own oil. So it does seem to be building on this narrative of the President which we have been hearing for weeks now, pushing other countries to step in more acutely in the Middle East, either to secure the straight Mews or otherwise support US operations that do still remain ongoing. When it comes to Iran, of course, we've had thousands of more American military personnel service members arriving in the theater. Over just the last several days, we heard once again from the Defense Secretary Pete Hegsep and the Joint chiefs of Staff Chare dan Kine about ongoing military operations. Some eleven thousand targets still struck, and Pete Hegseth did echo the President and saying more could be targeted if indeed no deal.
Speaker 3: Is reach Matt all right, Keyley, thanks very much, look forward to your program. Keaylle lines co Anker's Balance of Power at one o'clock on Bloomberg Television. Let's turn now to the big news in chip makers today, within Vidia announcing a two billion dollar investment in Marvel Technology. It's part of a strategic partnership that will connect Marvel within Vidia's AI ecosystem, essentially opening up the tent to bring in more players. Let's get to Bloomberg's Global Executive Tech editor Peter Elstrom.
Speaker 2: So, Peter, what do we know about this deal? H?
Speaker 5: So, we've seen Nvidia cut a number of these deals in the past where they're going out and they're working with other technology companies to try to speed up and improve the AI infrastructure. That they're building out around the world. They're of course selling their chips to the AI developers, and in this case they're partnering with Marvell, investing two billion dollars, as you say, not a small amount to be able to get more access to their technology, especially the photonics technology that they need to be able to connect chips. And Vidia course has the best AI accelerators on the market, but increasingly they want to be able to connect those chips so it's not just one GPU, but dozens of them or even scores of them, hundreds of them to be able to work together to power these data centers more efficiently. Marvell has excellent technology for that kind of networking. They want to be able to use the photonics technology that they've been accumulating and developing over the years to speed up that process and also to make it more energy efficient. As we've seen, data centers consume a tremendous amount of power, and if you can reduce that requirement even a little bit, you're going to save yourself some money and some costs.
Speaker 2: In terms of in Vidia's power.
Speaker 3: We really saw it put to work with a property developer that got what three point eight billion dollars in funding, even though nobody has really worked.
Speaker 2: With them before. What's the story there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a fascinating deal, and you see the creative financing that is popping up around a lot of these AI development infrastructures. You're talking about Track Capital. It was started by an entrepreneur, Grant Van Ruyan, who's done data centers before. Certainly they've done them, but in this particular case, you're exactly right.
Speaker 2: They Tracked has a deal.
Speaker 5: Within Nvidia where they promise they're going to buy data center capacity in the future. There's no revenue from this company at this point, but Track has set this up as a subsidiary, so it's not guaranteeing the three point eight billion dollars in debt that you're referring to, but it's truly a bet that they're going to be able to construct a data center, get power connected to that data center, and begin to sell AI services in the future.
Speaker 2: We'll see if it works, but there's.
Speaker 5: A lot of this kind of speculative financing going on to try to support what's a very fast build out of these data centers. So it'll be a fascinating deal to watch.
Speaker 3: You just having Nvidia on your client list, the name there is enough to get you pretty good credit.
Speaker 2: Peter Elstrom, thanks very much for that.
Speaker 3: Let's talk talk about one of the other chip makers that we're watching today, and that is super Micro, the company facing growing investor concern after a string of self inflicted setbacks. Most recently, its co founder was indicted on charges of circumventing US export restrictions to China. For more on the stock, Bloomberg Tech equities reporter Ryan Vlastelica joins us and Ryan, it just looks like investors are leaving this company again in droves.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, thank you for having me so absolutely. Having the indictment of the co founder, that's obviously a pretty big hurdle for any kind of investor. But this comes after some other major red flags at the company, notably some accounting issues over a couple of years. This has something that people are extremely cautious about, even though the company is very well positioned in what is seen as a major growth market, which is AI servers. So we've seen the stock really fall participacy over the past couple of years as people sort of assess what does this company's risk profile look like? What kind of governance issues are coming into play here. All of that at the moment is really overshadowing a more positive fundamental growth story in terms of the market it's operating in.
Speaker 3: In terms of it's not a chip maker, obviously super micro. What is the main product for this? Is it server racks? Yeah, exactly, so AI servers. Another company, Dell is also involved here HeLa packard enterprise. Not many companies operate in this, but it is a key part of AI related infrastructure, which is why the company for a really long time was doing quite well. It was seeing pretty dramatic growth. It is one of Nvidia's major customers, and we saw the stock sort of react to that. I think at one point it was the biggest ever component of a small cap index before it was finally moved to the SMP five hundred, just as a reflection of how quickly the company was growing and how much the stop was rising. Now all of this is really coming under question right now. So while there's still a lot of optimism about the long term story of AI infrastructure, here you have a company that has a lot of really unique challenges and risks associated with it, especially relative to more familiar companies like Dell or Hpe.
Speaker 2: All right, Ryan, great to get your coverage.
Speaker 3: Ryan blast Elica covers tech companies for US out of the middle of America. Coming up, Core Weave shares are rising this morning as the Neo Cloud company raises an eight and a half billion dollar loan to help fuel its complete build out. We'll have details on the Neo cloud operator. Next, this is Bloomberg Tech. Just take a look at Snap. Why don't we Shares are jumping on the news that activists investor Capital Management has built a position in the company, Sources saying Ernick is pushing for changes to improve financial and operating performance. Bloomberg's Leanna Baker joins us now. She runs the deals team for us here at Bloomberg. So what do we know about this investor and what it wants out of Snap?
Speaker 8: Sure, so we've seen a Rennick before. They're an up and coming activist. They've gone after companies like News Corp Before owned by the Murdoch, so they're no stranger to companies.
Speaker 2: That are controlled.
Speaker 8: But here they're looking at sort of shaking up things at Snap. You know, the stock is down fifty percent year over year. They're asking for a lot of changes from you know, a stock buy back, to more adoption of AI, to big layoffs and just other things that Snap should do to sort of get back on track since going public in twenty seventeen. Its products are wildly successful, but it hasn't really found its footing as a public company. Just the share story doesn't tell that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, I'm looking at this is a company that's only worth seven zero point four billion dollars right up against a Meta which is worth one point four trillion. And you cite the year over year performance, but over five years, Snap shares are down ninety one percent. I mean, they've lost essentially all of their value.
Speaker 8: It's sunning, And here comes an activist investor saying, look, we believe in the business, but here are some changes that we think that Snap can make to sort of have its second act. They're looking for a comeback here, and they believe that, you know, with the right moves, maybe shutting down the SPECS wearable business, that's one thing they're calling for that you know, Snap could turn itself around.
Speaker 2: That business is still operating.
Speaker 8: So the company had announced earlier this year they're separating it into a stand zone entity, but we're waiting for the glasses to come out later this year.
Speaker 3: All right, tough to go up against Meta with that business as well. Thank you so much, Leanna Baker on that. Let's get to the neo cloud story now, because core Weave has raised another eight and a half billion dollars who expand its cloud capacity as the debt bingch the AI boom continues. Shares a core Weave climbing on the news. The loan is backed by a combination of semiconductors and a customer contract to use those chips. Bloomberg reported last month that the deal was with Meta. Let's get more details with our markets reporter Bailey Lipshultz. So, Bailey, what do we know about this stock? And it's incredible, incredible borrowing performance.
Speaker 9: Yeah, man, this is probably the most debated stock on Wall Street, maybe behind Tesla, and when you look at kind of that debt binch, they have been clearly tapping every avenue or venue that they can, and they really according to the company, this is the largest chip backed product in terms of borrowing. So when you put this into an SPV, you're using again to your point, about eight and a half billion dollars of borrowing power that is going to go into funding and building out the operations, as you mentioned, backed by that Meta contract. So this is a company that if you talk to the bulls, they're being very novel with different ways to fund these build outs and fund these operations. If you talk to some of the skeptics, this is just another move to borrow money and use the name of Meta to help back that up.
Speaker 3: So I look at, you know, again the market cap here. It's a forty billion dollar company, but they have twenty three billion dollars in debt on the DDIS page, and I assume that's not including something like this because as you said, it's an SPV.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's structures are interesting, and when you talk to investors, if you're talking to private debt buyers, they love this because, okay, you're actually backing an individual product that is investment greade according to Moody's that is backed by a contract with Meta. If you talk to equity investors on the public side, to your point, it's a bit more of a complex picture. And that's why we've seen elevated short interest. We've seen wild swillings with the stock going back to when it went public last year during call it the tariff issues. And really, when you look at kind of the under the surface performance of this company, it is betting that they are going to dominate the space of acquiring in video chips, building out those data centers, and helping Lease compute to hyperscalers. It's a bold strategy that so far, again, we're really only in the early innings of that story place.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a stock that has doubled in the past twelve months, Bailey, and almost all of that came in the first couple of months after Liberation Day. Since then the stock has been on a steady decline. So the chart doesn't look as impressive as it sounds. No, not as impressive as it sounds.
Speaker 9: And if you compare its one year performance to its main publicly traded peer, and that's an Ebbus, it's actually underperforming the other neocloud rival. Again, this is a story that from an investing standpoint, has so many different parties participating. So yes, you look at the stock performance, again, that's only the public equity side of this story. So even when you talk to, as I do, investors who operate in both the private and public space, it's a bit more of a complex and again debated story from a public equity perspective, but we continue to see the company finding willing investors to help back its credit and willing consumers in the likes of a Meta to sign some of these contracts because there are trillions of dollars at risk.
Speaker 3: Coor we've shares up ninety eight point five percent in the past twelve months nebius of three hundred and sixty percent. Bloomberg's Bailey Lipschultz covers the markets for US coming up autonomous boat startup Saronic raises one point seventy five billion dollars as the wave of funding into defense tech continues.
Speaker 2: More on that Next, this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 10: A lot of our peers just don't focus on this area because it is too complicated and so and those that we do compete against tend to be more mid market firms, which as a global private equity firm, with our global footprint, with the resources we have, it's easier for us to differentiate when we're looking at court a founder of a business that he should partner with us.
Speaker 3: That was Ian Fujiyama, head of Aerospace, Defense and Government Services at Carlisle on navigating regulatory landscape. Sources tell Bloomberg Carlisle is reaching out to investors about a potential defense focus fund. To carl representative declined to comment, but we want to get more on this report with Bloomberg's private equity reporter Alis McNeely. She joins me here on set in Studio one at seven thirty one.
Speaker 2: Lex Alison, Great to have you on the program.
Speaker 3: This is really about more than defense, right, It's about, at least what we think we know, Carlisle investing in kind of rebuilding the industrial base exactly.
Speaker 11: It's sort of being pitched as a defense and a reindustrial is a re industrialization fund, and that actually has a lot of connectivity with defense in general.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: We've seen the US Army they have this big push for one hundred and fifty billion dollars in capital to invest in infrastructure. We saw that they entered into exclusivity to negotiate with cake Care and Carlisle and Data Centers last week. So this has really been an emerging theme of private capital kind of coalescing around defense and industrializing.
Speaker 2: Private capital getting into it big.
Speaker 3: But Carlisle specifically has deep roots in defense. What's different about this go round?
Speaker 11: What is different about this go around is we sort of in the past, defense, as I understand, it has been somewhat boom and bust or wax and wag, and you know, depending on really who's in the government and what kind of push there is to invest in defense. But given sort of the changing environment that we saw really starting with Ukraine a few years ago and now kind of what is happening here, there's a realization among governments around the world that they need to invest in their defense, invest in their military, and do technological upgrades as well as sort of again that infrastructure upgrade.
Speaker 3: All right, it makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to more reporting on this story. Alison McNeely, thanks for joining us. Let's stick with the defense or reindustrialization theme, because Saronic is making military drone boats. It's closed to one and three quarter billion dollars Series D round, valuing the company at nine and a quarter billion dollars, and we have the CEA for you. Dino Mavrucus joins us and do you know, you know for you also this must be good news the Carlisle story, right, Obviously, your funding round is very has been very successful.
Speaker 2: What are you going to deploy that capital to do? How will you rebuild the industrial base?
Speaker 12: Hi, Matt, and thanks for having me on the show. This is very exciting news for Saronic and as you mentioned, very exciting news for the industrial base. Before I jump into what's next for Saronic and what we're going to be doing, it's important to acknowledge that this fundraising really came off the back of is a byproduct of the execution of our team over the last twelve months. Like just twelve months ago, we raised a six hundred million dollar financing round on a four billion dollar valuation that let us open our first shipyard, launch Marauder, which is one hundred and eighty foot autonomous ship, start a three hundred million dollar infrastructure project into scaling product capacity at that shipyard, and also scale the production of our small USV products of Coursera, what you see right behind me well into the thousands. Now, as we look forward, what are we going to do with this new capital. We're going to continue to accelerate the production and the delivery of our vessels to the US and.
Speaker 2: Allies around the world.
Speaker 12: We're going to launch new products, new ships, and We're going to continue that investment into the shipbuilding industrial base, invest billions of dollars, create thousands of jobs in the process, and unlock production rates in shipbuilding that we haven't seen in this country since World War Two, and do it in a very software first, technological first approach.
Speaker 3: And it's also I mean, I wasn't aware until we started reporting on the potential to lift the Jones Act what a.
Speaker 2: Bad state US shipbuilding is in.
Speaker 3: I mean, we only have like six or seven Navy shipyard and most of them are here on the East Coast, I think one in California. How are you playing a role in bringing back US shipbuilding, Dino.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right.
Speaker 12: The shipbuilding industry is in crisis right now, and you're seeing this as a priority of the administration. I mean, the White House just put out a Maritime Action Plan to rebuild the maritime industrial base, and that's exactly what Saronic is investing in. When you look at the shipbuilding capacity in this country right now, from a commercial perspective, the United States has zero point one percent of global shipbuilding capacity. The Chinese can outbuild the United States two hundred and thirty to one, and then on the military and defense side. You know, traditional naval destroyers, for example, costs billions of dollars, but also say it take six to eight years to produce one of them.
Speaker 2: So how we're looking.
Speaker 12: At deploying our on man system them is really around scale. How do we adopt very very fast, in really large quantities at a fraction of the price point that traditional man platforms are able to be delivered to the military today.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest benefits of these drone boats.
Speaker 3: I mean, I look at this administration seemingly begging our allies to come help out in the straight of hoour moos with mind sweepers because we have only some wooden hulled boats out there, right and obviously with the crew that you don't want to risk with such a dangerous task.
Speaker 2: Is this where you can play a critical role?
Speaker 12: That's exactly right. I mean, when you look at what's happening in the straits of Four Moves and candidly other maritime environments around the world, what you're seeing are increasingly contested and increasingly complex environments. What unmanned systems really bring to the table is scale, persistence and risk reduction. And what I mean by that is, you can really deploy high numbers of these platforms, again at a fraction of the price point of traditional manned platforms. You can operate them continuously in these dangerous environments while keeping sailors out of harm's way. That really give naval commanders optionality to combat some of these threats that they're seeing that aren't countered very easily with manned platforms alone.
Speaker 2: What is you know?
Speaker 3: You know, we hear so much about the defense industrial base and how we're not building enough here, We're not building fast enough here or efficiently enough. What is the main bottleneck to producing at scale for you?
Speaker 12: For us, we really rethink the problem from the ground up. It's really how do you redesign the ship so that it's designed for manufacturability. We've taken a vertically integrated approach so that we can ensure that we get to this scale that this country needs. And again that all starts with the design. Once you have the design in place, than the workforce, the training, everything else needed to build out the capacity, and then the software and the autonomy that's required to power these vessels at the scale that we're building them out. This is true maritime autonomy. That is vertically integrated and delivered as a cohesive capability to the end user. That's what's required, that's what's needed. That's what we're building at Seronic.
Speaker 3: All right, Diano, great to get you on the program.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Dino Mavrucas, they're the CEO of Seronic. Coming up, we're going to speak with will Ahmed, the CEO of Whoop as its valuation hits more than ten billion dollars after its latest funding round.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: I'm Matt Miller in for Caroline and Ed here in New York City. The war in Iran is felt across Asia, maybe even more so than here. Chip stocks there are tumbling as investors pull back from the market's biggest winners IMD geopolitical tensions. You can see sk Heinex and Samsung down eight and six percent, respectively. Meanwhile, sand Disk here in the US is up more than five percent in today's cash session. Memory stocks have been especially volatile, of course, as they are fueled by surging product prices and high demand, but Asia is especially susceptible to the closure of the Street of horror moves let's switch gears though and talk about completely and talk about wearable health tech company Whoop. It's announced it raised five hundred and seventy five million dollars in a series G funding that values of the company at more than ten billion in total. And here to discuss the latest round is Will Ahmed, the CEO of Whoop. Will great to have you so on. I'm a longtime Whoop wearer. I'm on a three hundred ninety day streak right now, and it's nice to see your valuation up to more than ten billion. That's around the same I noticed as Aura, And so I'm wondering what you think about what must be your biggest competitor. I mean, is there room in this space for two powerful companies or is this, you know, a winner take all scenario.
Speaker 13: Well, thanks for having me on, Matt, and thanks for being a longtime Whoop member. I appreciate that. You know, if I actually just look back over the last decade, because I founded Whoop in twenty twelve, so I've been building this company for fourteen years, There's been an enormous number of players in the space over the years. In the early days, you had, you know, big wearable or big sports apparel brands. Excuse me, So you had the Nike under Armor, Adidas, Puma Crowd. You then had entries from the tech market, so you had Microsoft and Google and Intel and Amazon Meta and so there's been a lot of players, I would say broadly in the wearable space. Today, there's actually maybe the fewest number of players that I've seen in the last five years, and yet the wearables market has grown enormously. You know, when I first started the company, I think less than five million wearables were sold a year. Now that figure is three hundred to four hundred million devices a year and continues to grow. So we're very excited about where the company's positioned, and we think we're still in the early days despite the maturity of the business.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I'm obviously a customer, and so many people here around me are customers?
Speaker 2: Do they stay? Do we stay? Are you? Are you retaining customers?
Speaker 3: Those that have twelve month subscriptions, are they going to twenty four?
Speaker 2: Are they renewing?
Speaker 13: Well, we recently actually launched three membership tiers. So it used to be sign up for two hundred and forty dollars a year. Now there's a lower plan and a higher plan three hundred and sixty dollars a year for Whoop Life, and we've actually seen an overwhelming number of people migrate from our middle tier to our highest tier, and that demonstrates I think that our members are willing to pay for enhanced features, premium capabilities, an additional medical sensing portfolio that we've rolled out, so now Woop has ECG monitoring with aphib detection. We've come out with blood pressure insights, which were the first wearable to do. We recently launched Advanced Labs, which is blood testing. So overwhelming we see our members wanting to invest more in their health with Whoop, They're buying additional services, they're moving up in their membership tier. And then in addition to that, we have some of the best user engagement in all of health. Our members are opening the Woop app eight times a day, which is pretty extraordinary user engagement. We have an eighty three percent down mau ratio, which I believe is second only to WhatsApp in terms of how often people are using and engaging with the product. So it really speaks to I think the value that we've been able to create and the fact that our members are in fact improving their health.
Speaker 3: I think about all this stuff that you can do, and I see the labs myself as well, and the blood pressure monitoring you can not predict, but you know you can see whether you're in line for a stroker a heart attack.
Speaker 2: Is this a fitness company or is.
Speaker 3: It like a clinical diagnostics tool.
Speaker 13: Well, we want to build the most powerful personal health platform in the world, and we see that as an evolution from fitness and sports, which is our origins, to now working very broadly across health and medical capabilities. You know, two of our investors in this latest financing were Mayo Clinic and Abbot. Mayo Clinic of course being one of the best health institutions in the entire world, and we're going to be announcing a lot of research with the Mayo Clinic, an Abbot of course being one of the best medical device makers in the world, and we're going to be announcing more with them as well. And so I think this overall financing really shows the past and the history of WOOP with the athletes coming in Chris Hianno, Ronaldo, Ory McElroy now Lebron James, as well as.
Speaker 2: The future of Woop with me.
Speaker 13: Any of these health strategics, you.
Speaker 3: Need to get some squash players, You need to sponsor some squash players here.
Speaker 13: Well, we love squash. I've played squash my entire life. Ali Farrag, former World number one, is a good friend and a Whoop member, So we'll do more in squash.
Speaker 3: You are cash flow positive, I mean you're making money, So why raise this additional half a billion dollars plus now?
Speaker 13: Well, we want to accelerate a lot of the work that we're doing. We think the opportunity to own health monitoring and integrate deeply into the healthcare system is now just completely up for grabs and there's only a few players in the market, and we really want to attack the opportunity. So we're going to be leaning in on research and development. We've announced that we're hiring six hundred roles this year, really across every single function, so we're actually growing our headcount eighty percent, which seems to be a counter narrative move right now. And then we're also growing internationally, so we've brought in some really great strategic investors from around the world, sovereign wealth funds like QIA and two point zero and Mubadala and others, and we're gonna be investing heavily in growth around the world.
Speaker 2: How can you put AI to work?
Speaker 3: And I know you already have an AI assistant on your platform obviously I'm on there many times a day, But how much do you think it can be improved?
Speaker 13: Well, I think ultimately Whoop will either make you healthier or it will save your life. And those are really the two areas of development for WHOOP, and as we think about coaching and alerting, those are the two areas that we're investing in. And so we do believe that AI, sitting on top of all of this data is going to be able to deliver value in those categories. I think it's inevitable that a huge percentage of humanity will be continuously wearing a health monitor and it's going to make you healthier or it's going to save your life one day.
Speaker 2: Will you go public before that?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I read Series G right, We're getting pretty far along in the alphabet.
Speaker 2: When is the IPO plan.
Speaker 13: For Well, we still see it on a horizon of eighteen to twenty four months. You know, Fortunately, whoops operating cash flow positive. We've just added five hundred and seventy five million to our balance sheet. So we've got a very strong balance sheet and it allows us to be I think, really thoughtful and control our destiny and roots. IPO.
Speaker 3: All right, Will great having you on set. Thanks so much for joining us. Will I'm out there the CEO of Whoop coming up. NASA gets ready to send astronauts around to the Moon to eventually prepare for a trip to that big Rock. Will discuss the milestone for the space agency. Next, this is Bloomberg Tech. NASA is sending astronauts on a journey around the Moon for the first time in over fifty years. The lunar mission will test the Artemis two spacecraft, paving the way for an actual lunar landing in twenty eight. Bloomberg Originals takes a look. I think our generation appreciates having a program that now we get a chance to take our own moonshots, what we call great things that humans accomplish.
Speaker 14: NASA's Artemis program is the space agency's ambitious mission to send humans back to the Moon for the first time in more than half a century. The last time NASA sent humans to the Moon, they were locked in a space race with the Soviet Union. This time, NASA wants to go back to the Moon to stay in order to learn how to live sustainably off of the lunar surface.
Speaker 2: Four stage agents start.
Speaker 14: Prior to Artemis two, NASA launched the very first major mission in the Artemis program, called Artemis one, which sent the Orian Krue Capsule around the Moon to demonstrate that they could work without a crew on board. Now it's time to show that they can actually keep a crew alive while traveling to deep space.
Speaker 15: Our goal is get to the Moon and get back four days out, four days back. We are going to do as much science as we can on the way, and on the far side of the Moon, we're going to maybe forty five minutes where we're in a loss of calm with Earth, and all we can do is just train our eyes on that Moon's surface.
Speaker 14: The entire Artemist program has come under significant criticism for how much time it's taking to build and how much money it's costing the taxpayer. There is an estimate that between twenty twelve and twenty twenty five, the Artemis program has cost roughly ninety three billion dollars. Despite the criticism, it does benefit from strong congressional support. Many of the programs that are needed for Artemis are spread across the entire United States and provide a lot of jobs for constituents. While the Artemist two mission is coming up, Artemis three, Artemis four, Artemis five are all a bit of open question marks at the moment. There's development that needs to happen for hardware, notably with the landers that will actually take the humans to the surface.
Speaker 7: Of the Moon.
Speaker 14: NASA is pulling out all stops with its contractors to ensure that a landing occurs no later than twenty twenty eight, but it remains to be seen if that date will actually be possible.
Speaker 3: You can watch the full episode online or on the Bloomberg terminal. And whenever I'm wondering about space, I just watched this show because Ed Ludlow and Lauren Grush know more about going to space and anybody else. Let's talk right now, though, about what to expect from this historic mission tomorrow, what it means for America's broader space ambitions.
Speaker 2: For that, we're joined by esne Uzo Koro.
Speaker 3: She is a senior fellow at the Harvard Belfer Center, but also a former NASA executive and a former Assistant Director for Space Policy at the White House under the Biden administration. And isay, thanks so much for joining us. Why do we have to go up there and fly around? I mean, we've already been to the Moon, we've already landed on it. Can't we just send another ship up there and go back.
Speaker 6: Well, we're a bit rusty when it's been fifty years since you've done something. You need to validate some tests and test some life support systems, and test some propulsion and communications and navigations systems before you land again. So that's what the screw will.
Speaker 2: Do half a century on. I mean, you know, when we first.
Speaker 3: Did this computer that could do as much as my iPhone wouldn't even fit in this studio. I mean, we've had such incredible technological advances that it seems to me it should be a lot easier this time. But I'm getting the sense that that's not the case.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: This is a four billion dollar proof of concept as part of a larger mission that doesn't have a fiscal architecture that we've seen before. This is the first time the Congress will have to sustain a multi administration program at this scale for this long it just happens to be complicated with with multiple vendors and with the technologies that NASA wants to study. As we get more advanced technologies and the missions become more complex, there are obviously a lot of other cultural and systemic issues that come up with the vision. NASA's vision just changed last week. Rather than putting up a gateway, which is a bit like a space station around the Moon, they will be landing on the Moon with multiple robotic missions in a lunar base soon. So with changing priorities, that also aids add to the complexity.
Speaker 3: I have say, four billion dollars sounds like a drop in the bucket from a government that spends like one hundred and seventy billion dollars to fund ICE, But I guess it depends what your priorities are.
Speaker 2: What do we get in return for that.
Speaker 3: Money, asn't they's what's the benefit coming out of this program?
Speaker 6: There are plethora of experiments I do want to highlight one for your audio. There is an avatar organ on a chip investigation aboard Artemis two and what it will do is it will measure human response to deep space radiation. And this is a commercial windfall for the pharmaceutical modeling sector, for biotech R and D sector, and for the space bioeconomy at large. And you can conduct this restarch about having to land on the Moon. So that's one of several experiments that the astronauts will conduct, and we will see a number of games and a number of sectors, including the space sector. You will have a SpaceX and Blue Origin also that are preparing to support the Artemis programs. So there are number of large stakes here.
Speaker 3: We're also not above a little healthy competition. Last time it was the US versus the Soviets. Now the Chinese are looking to get to the Moon by the end of this decade. How important is that competition? Do we also work together and who wins?
Speaker 6: You know, generationally, there seems to be a seismic shift in space races.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 6: Fifty years ago it was about racing to the moon and who had better technology. But today with over fifty nations that are signatory so the Artemis Accords, what we're seeing is that countries want to go together. And the question today is and whether America leads China to the moon, but whether that alliance really holds up. We have a comedian astronaut, Journey Hanson, who's joining three US astronauts on this journey, and that's the first for us. And so that alliance is proving to be strong and we look forward to strong corporation as we go together. Given the geostrategic environment for facing today.
Speaker 3: Has a great to get some intel from you. Hope we can get you in the studio here next time you're in New York as an a uzzo acoro there from the Harvard Belfer Center talking to us about the Artemis mission. We'll be following that for you every second of it tomorrow. Don't miss it right here on Bloomberg TV and on your Bloomberg terminal as well. Sticking with space, I'm also watching shares of rocket Lab. You can see they're up right now about three and a half percent. After yesterday rocket Lab got the okay on an acquisition. So investors are still looking at these highly volatile stocks as an interesting opportunity, at least on updays like today.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 3: Electric bike startup also is reached a one billion dollar valuation. We'll talk to the co founder and president about the latest fundraise and a new partnership with door Dash to execute the last mile of delivery.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Also is an electric bike and mobility startup that was spun out of the carmaker Rivian. It's now reached a one billion dollar valuation. In his latest funding around, the company raised two hundred million dollars and announced a strategic partnership with the delivery firm door Dash, which is investing. Also as president and co founder, Chris you joins us now and Chris you know, we were showing video of some dude ripping up the trails on an electric bike, which is I'm sure possible on your product. But I'm getting from the door Dash connection that your business case is more about last mile delivery?
Speaker 2: Is that the case? It's it's quite broad. Yeah.
Speaker 15: So we were incubated within Rivian for a couple of years, and just a year ago we spun out as Also an entire thesis that Argiana had in building also is around building the world's first vertically integrated and software defined EV platform that's optimized for small four factors and that goes for consumer use cases like the fun experience on our e Bi TMB, which we launch in October as well as importantly for commercial use cases, because we see that you know, if you look globally, the vast majority of trips that happen for the movement of people and goods happen in really dense suburban and urban areas where cost per mile and time for deliveries is really important.
Speaker 3: So I mean, first off, just on the bike, because it looks so cool.
Speaker 2: Do you have a clutch in the hub? I mean, how does that work? And how much does it cost?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Our bike has a really fun and novel architecture behind it. So we have our propulsion system that's in house. It's called dream Ride and it's actually pedal by wire and so when you're pedaling into it, you're pedaling into a generator that gives a really incredible for S feedback that simulates the feeling of a bike. But importantly, through software allows for really an infinite set of different experiences, and so that architecture is really under what underpins are vertically integrated small EV platform that is now going into these other form factors.
Speaker 2: So what's the ballpark price for the end consumer?
Speaker 15: Yeah, so TMB starts at thirty five hundred dollars and you can outfit it from there. So it's a really really highly capable product at that price point.
Speaker 3: And I guess I'm guessing door dash will use these as part of your partnership or you'll supply them. Is this a pilot program or is it a more meaningful path to deploy at scale?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I find back up for a second. We constructed also really we think of our first phase of our business to address this massive wave of electrification of the existing small form factors. So, if you look at how trips happen today globally, the vast majority happened in things that are smaller than a car, and very few of those things are electric today. And so phase one of the also is building a purpose built EV platform to accelerate the letchification of these modes. Now, as the world becomes increasingly autonomous, we believe the factors that drive towards small form factors meaning congestion and cost per mile still exist and so one of the key things about our partnership with DoorDash that we're really really excited about is to deploy autonomous delivery at scale utilizing these much much more optimized smaller form factors.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 3: So it's beyond the door dash ideas beyond electric bikes that human pedals and more about autonomous delivery, what using bike lanes and urban settings.
Speaker 15: Yeah, correct, If you look at our e bike architecture or our pedal quad architecture, these are highly capable evs that have really car like capabilities in some sense, meaning car like speeds, payloads, range, and if you look at how deliveries happen, happening in relatively dense suburban urban areas, increasingly congestion and the total cost of operation of these vehicles is quite critical and quite important, and so we believe it in working with DoorDash that the optimal answer often our vehicles that can traverse the intersection of roadways and road adjacent spaces like bike lanes, shoulders and curbsides.
Speaker 3: All right, Chris, we'll be following along with interest. Thanks so much for joining us. Chris, you there is the president of also after raising funding at a billion dollar valuation and doing a deal with door Dash as well. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. Don't forget to check out our podcast. You can find that on the Bloomberg terminal as well as online on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart. We're looking at a pretty major rally underway today, especially for the tech stocks, with the Nasdaq gaining one and a half percent right now at twenty three two hundred and ninety six, the mag seven coming back from what has been a loss so far this year in the Socks Index up two and a half percent as well.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg
Speaker 3: M