Speaker 1: I'm Tamika D.
Speaker 2: Mallory and this.
Speaker 3: Shit Boy my son in general.
Speaker 2: We are your host of TMI.
Speaker 3: Tamika and my Son's Information, truth, motivation and.
Speaker 1: Inspiration, new energy. What's going on, my son, Lennon, I'm.
Speaker 4: Blessed black and Holly favored. Tamika, Ma, how you doing today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing okay. I'm a part of the Black women who are resting. I'm not really restling because I've been working and busy and doing and going and planning and being.
Speaker 1: Involved in stuff.
Speaker 2: But I have not been forcing myself to think about what's next and a rally, a march, a thing, a thing. I just haven't. I just am not forcing myself to do that right now. I am a part of the ninety two percent. I believe that Black women have the instincts that God only himself could have placed in us to be able to be the.
Speaker 1: Birth ers of this nation.
Speaker 2: And I believe that our instinct in what we have in us is something that other people, you know, benefit from. And so since I'm in a ninety two percent, while I feel sad about a lot of things that's happening, I really feel proud.
Speaker 1: I feel I'm in good company.
Speaker 2: I feel like I don't have to put a cape on and immediately return to the battlefield.
Speaker 1: It's the holiday season, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like we as black women, deserve an opportunity to sit, exhale, breathe, taking one another's love and affection, and just not have to go kill myself stressed out of our work.
Speaker 4: As you should enjoy yourself, you know, like you said you part of in ninety two percent. I think unfortunately for me, I just feel like there's a lot of things things that black men are doing.
Speaker 3: So I've been I've been just really organizing in my mind.
Speaker 4: I han't physically went out and did a lot of things, but I've been really just strategizing and organizing and pretty much like I want to start, like pretty much right after the holidays, just really implementing a lot of things that I think are needed and necessary in this moment for black men, especially black men, young black men, just you know, the would I say, the the tide of the world, just the energy of the world, just the feeling, and I just feel like it's very much a time to start strategizing and organizing young black men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the time has always been and I've said to you many times that you know, as a woman, I know that we are we are blessed, very blessed to have the connections and the relationships among one another.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 2: Not to say that men and black men particularly don't have relationships, but there's just something different about the ways in which black women show up from one another. And I think something. I think a part of our enslavement and what has happened to us fostered certain things. So you know, men African men right who were being forced into enslavement and then of course going through chattel slavery. Certainly, the idea that you are now you know, responsible for your community and unable to protect your community at the same time has to be something that has created a psychological backlash.
Speaker 1: I think that backlash.
Speaker 2: A part of the protection has been, you know, trying to maintain position and and and feeling of power and a feeling of you know, being able to protect because that has been stripped in so many ways from you all, in so many ways, and it continues beyond enslavement, beyond all that that we went through. Then even now, you still see that, and I know that it is important.
Speaker 1: I think anyone whose lineage.
Speaker 2: Includes enslavement, needs, a certain level of therapy, a certain level of of of a community of coming together to understand a lot of how we're still responding to life based.
Speaker 1: Upon you know, what we have been through.
Speaker 2: You even in your song where you're talking about the Willie Lynch letter, you acknowledge that people say the letter may.
Speaker 1: Not be real, but the effects of what what is.
Speaker 2: In that letter, it's significant. It's significant, and I see it every day. I see it in young black men that I deal with, And I think that the most important thing we can be doing for the next four years, while being outside and protesting and bringing awareness and all of that, is going to be incredibly important. I still believe that one of the fundamental things that we have to engage in is community building that is not public for the world to see, right, Like, that's got to be something that we do.
Speaker 1: So I support you one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's definitely time.
Speaker 4: So that's what I've been, you know, just focusing on and trying to get into, you know, and just trying to stay abreast of what's going on, trying to take it light, you know, because everything has been so heavy and dark, and you know, so trying to have light conversations, enjoy life, you know, listen to music, watch the internet. It's a couple of things that I've been focusing on that really has been bringing me joy.
Speaker 3: Like I actually like casanat right. I've been watching him.
Speaker 4: He's a young kid and he just enjoys life and a lot of people go. He has all these stars on his live stream and he's been doing like I think he's doing like a thirty day live stream.
Speaker 3: So he's the other day he had Snoop Dogg on there.
Speaker 4: You know, he had Chris Brown on there, and everybody is just enjoying hisself, like as a young kids, the young in the twenties. They having fun, They talking about good things and and I love that, like you know, so that why he was.
Speaker 1: On the shower in the shower the other day, because he's.
Speaker 3: Straight.
Speaker 4: They for thirty days straight, everything he does is going to be on live stream, so hiss in the shower, everything like all his So you can go and you can click on his live stream right now and he's on the live stream as we speak doing whatever. So you know, I've really been enjoying that just watching him be and he's and he's he's enjoying life.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. It's like I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of like The Truman Show, kind of if you ever seen the movie The Truman Show with Jim Carrey, Like his thing reminds me of the Truman Show, but his real life. It's actually his real life and the Truman Show, Truman was the only person that didn't know that he was on TV. They raised him from a little kid inside the TV.
Speaker 1: I think I remember that built.
Speaker 3: The whole life around him. Yeah, they built the whole.
Speaker 2: I'm not as old as you.
Speaker 3: But they built his whole life inside this TV.
Speaker 4: So but when I'm watching this, it's very entertaining, and but there was one thing in it that kind of that made me that resonated with me because you watched him in all this moments.
Speaker 3: So he's in the store and this is just probably today.
Speaker 4: He's in the store, he's buying shoes and it's about one hundred pairs of sneakers on the counter. So he walks by and he's looking. He's like, well, who put all of this stuff? Like, I ain't put all this stuff in. So the lady's like, well, people just putting stuff up. So he's with his friends or whatever, so he's like, yo, just ask, he said, I don't mind paying for it, but just ask. Like he ain't saying it till he's just saying it to.
Speaker 3: The chat as they listening. Just ask.
Speaker 4: He said, I would never do nothing like that. I just wouldn't go. I would ask it. And it resonates because when you get to a certain level, or just when people think you at a certain level, there's a level of entitlement, right think, yo, yo, you got it, Yo, you should do it. And it's not that I shouldn't do it or I wouldn't do it, but I wanted to feel like you don't you you're not taking advantage of me.
Speaker 3: And he said, he said, these little things, this is how people go broke and be little stuff like that. And it shows that he's a sharp young man.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. It's like this how people go broke and be little things like this, and you ain't saying nothing about it. Next thing, you know, there's one hundred thousand going. People just start taking for granted that they don't have to ask you for things, and they just could take things from me, and it just it and it's the mind state. We live in an entitlement era, like people feel entitled to things, like I have conversations with people and I see so many different things. People don't even say thank you no more like you know, family, friends, whatever. You do things for people, and it's not that you want them to feel like they debt, but you just want somebody to say thank you, because that's what you would do. I would do say thank you about that you did something for me. I want you to feel like I acknowledge and I understand that you don't have to do something for me, you know, and we're just in such a time. So it was it resonated with me because I see it happen. I've experienced it, I've gone through it a lot. But it resonated to see a young boy just understanding that he's in his twenties and he understood, like just ask me. He just like, well, we got it. We just gonna do this because he understands paying attention. He's a student of life. He sees with how people have failed, to see how people have won. You know, the fact that he brings a lot of different artists and people who have made it on his show, they've probably given him advice and he's taking it. So yeah, it just it just resonated with me because so much negativity on the internet. There's so many people just pumping crap. Just to see some young boy having fun and who's in tune. It's smart and actually understands life.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's just it's a breath of fresh air, you know what.
Speaker 2: I like Constantat. I met his sister and his mother, and he comes from good stock. He comes from a good family, at least from what I saw them. They look beautiful people. His sister is very funny and very kind. His mother was really kind, and I, you know, I think he's a good kid. I do think that when you put so much of your personal business in the world, people will think that they can take advantage of you because they know too much about what you have. And that's just the nature of human beings. And sometimes people don't even know how to ask because they haven't been They no home training, home trained. It goes very much to what we were talking about originally, this idea that you know, we all and this is not a black man or whatever thing. This is all people home training is very important. When I was raised, you couldn't ask nobody for a thing. If I came home with something that somebody gave me, my parents would lose it. You're not allowed to have nothing. You're not allowed to have anything. Where did you get that from?
Speaker 1: Who gave it to you? Why they give you? Go back?
Speaker 6: Take it?
Speaker 2: Well, so and so mother said I could have it. I this mother. Your mother said, you can't have it. Take it back.
Speaker 1: Not a shirt, not a shoe. They can't buy you nothing.
Speaker 2: I mean really, And it's funny because I'm the complete opposite.
Speaker 1: I'm always giving and doing and whatever.
Speaker 2: Perhaps some of it has to do with that, But I tell you one thing, I do not have expectations that anybody's gonna give me anything. But that brings me to my thought of the day today. My thought of the day today is really kind of like a question. I'm wondering if people have decided to throw their hands up as it relates to police violence, and they just over it like that's it, you know, we just it is what it is. We've accepted that the police can kill us and then probably probably probably will be not much to come of it. We can be abused in our communities, pulled over, profiled, in some cases, sexually assaulted. We know what we're dealing with in Kansas City, Kansas, but its officer will sexually assaulting women for years, for thirty years, and nobody's gonna do anything about it. And so therefore we have sort of decided to relinquish our fight and our efforts in that area and just move on to financial matters. And maybe there are people who really truly believe, which I do believe in some ways, that the more economic development and economic growth that we have in our communities, then we will have less of a need for law enforcement.
Speaker 1: But what I always go back to is how we have.
Speaker 2: Watched communities be extremely economically sound, especially black communities like Rosewood and Jacksonville, Florida, or Tulsa, Oklahoma, where the fact that we would even get together and try to have our own economic engines that pisces them off to and they find a way to physically buy fire blow it up, not blow it up as in set the leaders up and whatever. I'm talking no conspiracy there. We're talking about physical.
Speaker 1: Fire is burning.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering the reason why I'm asking this question around have people just decided police violence, that's one we can't win.
Speaker 1: We moving on from it is.
Speaker 2: Because I'm not sure how you have or how you as a black man, especially but black people in general, some of them are so excited about Trump and his presidents, knowing that this is a man who does not believe at all that policing should have controls that hold people, hold people accountable for harming black and brown folks. We know that because he said it so many times. I'm not debating it with anybody.
Speaker 3: We know. We said that. We lived through administration where he showed it.
Speaker 2: Right, so we know it. So that's that right. And I'm not asking this question to focus so much in on Trump, but I'm just thinking about the whole pie. Because here last week the police went into a man's house, Brandon Durham, our brother, Lee Merritt, the attorney is the attorney for the family. And then you have ministers Stretch from Las Vegas, who is our guy who is there working to mobilize the local community. And even he said getting people really active and engage and you know, make getting people to show up.
Speaker 1: It's not as easy as not even as easy.
Speaker 2: People are not as enthusiastic about being out there to push back against the system. Then you have folks that we're going to have on the show later on who are dealing with trying to force the City of Louisville to sign a consent degree with this particular administration, this Department of Justice to deal with a list of things that the Department of Justice found when they investigated the police department for all types of abuse against of power, right, And so you got that happening in one hand, and then on the other hand, it seems that there are people who are like, don't worry about it, or I don't know what they feel, and maybe I don't have the answer. So I'm hoping that in the comments section we're gonna get some answers from folks on where do they stand with that? Because Brandon Durham, which I was about to say, in Las Vegas, calls the police because there's an intruder in his home while he and his fifteen year old daughter in the house, and they tell them the description of the person who's in the house. When the police officer came, he being the man in the house. The man who the house belongs to, is fighting off a woman who is in the clothes with the description that has been reported. He is in the clothes or she is she was in a red outfit, which is what was reported on the call when police help was asked, was requested.
Speaker 1: When the police got.
Speaker 2: There, they shot him the man who house it is. They killed Brandon Durham instead of a woman. So, you know, like I said, I really want people to just tell me have they decided that police violence? Because here's my real question because I know that the Trump supporters and the black people who tell us that we out of our mind. You know, we just doing boogieyman, those people. I want to know what the brand and Durham because that's what they're gonna do. They always come as well, Breonna Taylor was with a guy and he was this he was a drug dealer. And then George Floyd, he just had something. I don't know if fake twenty whatever nonsense. Things they come up. They have an excuse for every single situation. So what are they going to say about Brandon Durham.
Speaker 1: What did he do?
Speaker 2: He was in his house and he reported the person who was in there and gave a description of what the person was wearing, and the police came there and shot him to death. Now the Trump presidency, his position is, which we know that Copston have full immunity from prosecution. Mistakes happened, issues happen while they're out there working, but they should be able to do their jobs and they should not have to worry about people like you and.
Speaker 1: Me making a finger it.
Speaker 2: So I'm just, I just, I really want people to let me know where we at.
Speaker 4: I believe that, you know, after the George Floyd era, the powers that be worked very hard to get people to not recognize any black issues. You know, they made Black Lives matter a curse word. They made d a curse word. You know, they may all everything that had to woke is a curse word. You know, all the things that had the whole world paying attention to the injustices that black people were dealing with, the people that said, wow, these black people really deal on all of those things that led to that that the slogans and everything that was attached to that has now, oh in less than two three years, has turned into curse towards right.
Speaker 3: So this was very intentional.
Speaker 4: It's very active, you know, and they're not going to allow black people to continue to.
Speaker 3: You know, they're not gonna allow black.
Speaker 4: People to continue to be able to evolve and to grow and get justice and equity in America. So this is very intentional. You know, they keep drilling the same things in your head. You have black people who try to tell you, you know that di is a bad thing, and being woke is a bad thing, and black lives matters. Well, don't say, nobody want to hear that black lives matter? And why do black people need to do this? And why does somebody have to have black people? So, because you don't need nobody culturally competent to understand what's going on with black people issues. We don't need an administration that includes us. We don't need a world that includes us and sees the value in the black people, especially when you have to deal with the issues that black people do. So when we're talking about black people getting killed, police killing us, they they have none thus to it. They made it seem like that's not a big thing. Though, No, no white kids about that, y'all just victim you know what you are, We have victimhood because we should just be okay with be a shot. We should be no really, because this is what people tell you what you talk about, Hey, policia have no just victimhood. Nobody want to hear that, and they quickly dismiss it. And they've got some of us to actually buy into that. So what I'm saying is I'm not surprised, but you know, I'm also understanding that that's that's why we are here.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, that's why we're here.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 4: Because when I sit there and I listen to it, my soul is not okay with that. No matter how many people I can sit in room with one million people try to tell me just forget about it and it's not that serious, and my soul is not okay with that because I understand so understand what it is that I was called here to do is to fight for my people, doing regard even despite of my people. I'm a fight for my people. So that's the reality we're dealing with. You know, unfortunately that we don't see the people that care, but we know that people are kid because they are people that hit us and tell us every day, you know, please keep fighting. Don't let these people stop you from fighting. But sometimes you get you get weary, you be like, man, what the fuck am I fighting, and I realized I say that all the time. That's what happened to a lot of our leaders, that your quote unquote quote sellouts because.
Speaker 2: People have told you directly that I wouldn't be with you, but I can't do it anymore.
Speaker 4: I can't do it anymore, you know, And that's what happens. So you know, it is it is a It is a hard fight. It is not one when we look at even doctor King. We celebrate Doctor King now, but the same people celebrate them now call them names. They called them coon, they called them sellout. Malcolm Max was public enemy, not like these these are real things. So when you look at the reality, the same people that we celebrate that fought for us had their own people turned against them because it was times just like this. So you know, we have to understand the moment were in. There are going to be people that just act like what we're talking about. It don't even matter all. They're gonna keep talking about bread and eggs. They're gonna tell you about bread and eggs, and they don't care that JoJo's gonna get shot by the police, you know, because bread and eggs, because somebody told them that bread costs more eggs.
Speaker 2: Courts more No, no, So someone didn't tell them that.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not saying bread and eggs, but that shit ain't That's not the major thing bread and eggs, because you gotta be alive to eat bread and eggs. And for me, I'm just everybody own issue. Like for me, I'd rather pay more for bread and eggs and make sure that that my family is safe, that there are laws in place, then we go. If I gotta work a little harder for some bread and eggs, so I don't put them. So I don't put people that are intentionally trying to roll back my civil rights and take away the rights that God gave me in position. It's it's like this ship is the This is the classic trick of every white supremacy administration and white supremacy government. They do the same shit. They make you focus on the ship that don't matter, and then you do and.
Speaker 1: White supremacist government.
Speaker 4: I believe it's a white supremacy strategy because I say it all the time. I say all the time, like there's this clip that I put up every year. It's from the movie Trick Baby, and it's it's actually liberals and it's Republicans, and it was talking about the difference, and the Republicans say, you give them jobs and you give them this, and they say, yeah, we give them jobs because if we leave one of them in the ghetto with energy, he can rise the rest of the people up. So what we do is we we rise them up. We give them power. And when we give them power, they own people turn on them because they think they they with us.
Speaker 3: So what we do is we neutralize.
Speaker 4: So we constantly neutralizing our people, never giving them an opportunity because everybody's here to fight for us. We were fighting against the wrong things. So what they do is they give you bullshit money. They tell you, here, we got you want some money to keep a couple of dollars and people say, that's what I'm here for.
Speaker 3: Domina. That shit is never nothing. The Bible says money is the root of all evil. So when we keep.
Speaker 4: Talking about the shit that finances is, it doesn't it doesn't equate with the actual reality of what equity injustice is and what unity is.
Speaker 3: It's never going to equate to that. I don't get for how many times you see it.
Speaker 4: Anybody can tell you, I know people that got money all a bunch of money are not happy, right, So that's not my focus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear that, and I appreciate that you are, that this is who you are, but I.
Speaker 1: Just don't agree. I think that I am more likely to encounter.
Speaker 2: Prices inflated cost for gas, food, and other expenses than I am to encounter a police officer who may take my life. That happens rarely too often, too often, for sure, but it is a rarity for most people. But every single week they have to go buy eggs, bread, whatever. So I believe that both things matter, and they're both equally important because.
Speaker 1: I have to be able to survive.
Speaker 2: I need to make sure that I'm not in a situation where I'm so financially deprived that my family members or even I end up out there in the street doing something I have no business doing, trying to make money.
Speaker 3: You know what it is.
Speaker 4: And I'm not saying you wrong, and I understand you one hundred percent correct, right. I think for me, I think I'm at a different stage of understanding where we are right. And when you watch there's a strategy that's being taken and it's and it's constantly been taken, and I see it. Right, It's like Elon Musk is in position of power. Right, the stock market for Tesla and all that shit is gonna go off and people gonna invest their money in it, and then they're gonna make a couple of dollars and Elon Musk is gonna take control of shit that is going to negatively impact ninety percent of us, right, But there's gonna be twenty to thirty thousand people that feel like they they made something off of it. But the ultimately that man is going to impact us in the worst way ever. And we think that we benefit off.
Speaker 1: Of it, so that people agree with you about that.
Speaker 3: But that's what I'm saying. I know you don't, but I understand.
Speaker 1: I didn't say I don't. I said I don't think I don't.
Speaker 4: I know they won't because they don't understand. It's not it's not a it's it's like it's like me, right, It's like me living in Beverly Hills, and I'm like, we're doing good, but five percent of us ain't.
Speaker 3: So I can sit there if I'm sitting there.
Speaker 4: And I'm doing good, and ten of us is good, and were able to sit at the table and we still only have the two percent of the wealth that we've been having for one hundred years. We're not doing anything. That's what I'm trying to tell you is fool's goal. It's a false sense of reality. We represent thirteen and fourteen percent of the population and only two percent of us are counted in the wealth in America. That's what I'm trying They know that we're not increasing at all. They're constantly increasing and growing their numbers of the Wolf gap. If when you look at the wolf gap, by they say about twenty thirty five, we will be at zero, the median household for black people will be zero. This what I'm trying to tell you. We're dealing with fool's goal, and we keep thinking it's not I don't have to it's not about what I think.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you. This what the numbers are saying. This is the numbers are showing.
Speaker 4: If you look at the average wealth from nineteen thirty sevening to now, we only represented two percent of the wealth. And you look at now, we only represent two percent of the wealth. The median household is going down every time. And then people was saying, look, I'm getting money, I'm getting money.
Speaker 2: I'm getting people believe, people believe that maybe maybe under Trump, it's gonna be different.
Speaker 3: What I'm trying to tell you. You saying maybe a pandemic.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you what i've heard.
Speaker 3: But I'm just I'm telling you the facts.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm telling you the things that you can when you when you look up the numbers and you do the real No.
Speaker 1: I'm just said what you're saying.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying that there are people out here that believe that under Donald Trump it might be something different. Okayc was the first time he had a pandemic. He wasn't able to accomplish the things that he wanted to do. I'm just telling you what i've heard. I'm saying that I don't believe any of it. I think that we're going to see the effects of his presidency in about two years, and.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be the commis. I think that we're going.
Speaker 2: To see the impact of his presidency in about two years. But I think we're gonna know even more in the next presidency. So whoever else becomes elected in four years, that's how we're gonna know what his policies, the damage that his policies have caused you're not.
Speaker 4: Going to really know you want me tell you why, because what happens is at this point, what they've done is disenfranchised black people. Right, we have a black movement that is so fractured that they don't even know what the next step is. So the next person that comes that feels like he has to leave, he's going to sit figure that the model that he has to follow is like Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Right, we was built, we were literally building.
Speaker 4: When we look at what we were building, when we went to the DNC and you looked at all of the black people, when you've seen the levels of black power and black influence and black all of that, the next person is going to feel like they have to move away from that because this is what this is what America is telling you. They don't want that, they don't want woke, they don't want black power, they don't want all of these things. So I don't think the next person is going to go into the positions saying you.
Speaker 1: Know what, I think they will.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't see it.
Speaker 4: I don't see where they feel like it. If you look at what they saying, they saying it that strategy fails. They America does not want to be unified. America doesn't believe that. I'm just trying to I'm telling you, I don't. I don't see somebody. I don't see America. I don't see no party getting behind somebody that's trying to push the same values that they that This is probably the word every swing statement they've they're saying is a she lacking. There's no no, no common sense personal because this is they forced us to believe there's nobody that's gonna invest their money in their time inside the strategy that they've already seen fail and unless something changed, nless there's something that shifts the tide of America, unless this is see.
Speaker 1: This is where.
Speaker 2: This is where my thought process departs from a lot of people, because what I believe is that we will begin to see, like I said, in about two years, the impact of this presidency, and it's actually going to force us into a movement back into a space where people are gonna realize they can't even get elected if they are that other thing.
Speaker 1: That's what I believe is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I believe that they're gonna want to get so far away from that other thing, because for instance, when Donald Trump was president, he got upset with New York for not whatever whatever something he wanted people in New York to do and the legislators he had said no. And next thing, you know, he took away our ability to have a global entry coming into the country.
Speaker 1: That impacts people who have.
Speaker 2: Money, right, and so people who have money and or people who are well traveled, people who understand clear and all those programs and being a known traveler, they're the ones that's impacted by that.
Speaker 1: They didn't like it. They didn't like it.
Speaker 2: But you also had four years of Joe Biden in between. So now when you circle the block to him, back to his Shenanigans of his thinking that he can punish people, his vindictive nature, that is going to make people turned off.
Speaker 1: I know it is. I just wait for the day for it all to happen.
Speaker 2: But anyway, my daughter, they went all around into fifteen different directions. But I think it's all great conversation. But none of us can predict. All we can do is because we've already predicted. We didn't predict, we forecast it what is to come, and now it will either be that we're wrong, which I agree. Charlamagne says something the other day. I don't want Donald Trump to fail. I literally don't because of his failures, the failure of our people. I want the Lord to come into his heart and his mind and say, hey, you got to do better. You can't be that person. Do I believe that that will happen. No, but that's what I want. I want his party, the Republican Party, to look at him and say, if we allow you to take us down this path, we're never going to be able to win an election again, or at least for a long time.
Speaker 1: We're gonna lose the in the midterms.
Speaker 4: I don't understand how you're saying that when they voted for death. They voted for that twice. To tell you, it's America.
Speaker 2: They vote, they did not, they did not, they did not. What you have in this election is a lack of voter participation. So when you have a people that feel ignited, they could beat Donald Trump, but they stayed home. Fifteen million people if what they're telling us is true, because I don't believe shit. Because long Elon Musk is involved, I don't know what they did. I have no idea, but let's just go with it is what it is. The rules are the rules. So if that's what happened and fifteen million people came home, that stay home. Those people are part of the reason why we lost the election. So what I'm saying is that as people go and continue to move, we already know that more than half of America is racist and or trying to be connected to white people because they think white power and white men is how they will get their handmaid's tell access.
Speaker 1: To their own power. We already know that we got that.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, when you really kind of crunch it all down, most of the people who didn't vote are people who just said, I know, I'm not gonna vote for Donald Trump, but I can't support Gaza. I'm broke, I'm stressed, I'm struggling, and I can't be involved in that.
Speaker 1: I don't like Joe Biden. I'm not voting for a woman.
Speaker 2: So you have all those people I'm not voting for a black person, a black woman. You have all those people that, if activated, could be and put themselves in a position or could have put us in a position to win in two years during the midterms, because if things are too out of control. That's when you'll see it where people their own legislay, they got so you with this bullshit.
Speaker 1: Oh we don't, we don't want you. Hey, what do I know?
Speaker 4: Listen, We'll see That's all I say, We'll see. So that brings me to my music spotlight today. You know, it's it's pretty much easy.
Speaker 3: You know. Kendrick dropped an.
Speaker 4: Album out of nowhere at six seven, eight o'clock in the morning that just, you know, tore the whole charts up and tore the whole music world up.
Speaker 3: And I, you know, I was.
Speaker 4: I had the luxury of driving my son to soccer this weekend and it was about a two hour ride both ways, so that was about four hours of me driving.
Speaker 3: So I listened to it over and over and I just got in tune with it.
Speaker 4: And I think one of my favorite tracks on it is where he took a Tupac like beating it was. It was he had this energy of Tupac and it's called Reincarnated And I'm trying to figure out I didn't really. I'm listening to it and he's talking about two different artists. I think one of them is Billy Holliday. I'm almost sure that the woman he was talking about is Billy Holiday. And I thought it was Jimmy Hendrix.
Speaker 3: The first one.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but it's somebody that played the guitar. I don't know exactly it was Jimmy Hendrix or somebody else, but I gotta listen again because I gotta get the dates on what it was. But he's talking about these people being reincardinating and coming back as him, and then he has a conversation at the end with God, you know, and God is talking to him like I sent you here these d three different ways, you know, so you can get it right.
Speaker 3: And then he's like, but you still you too YouTube consume with war, Like you say you want peace, but you consume with war. He said, well, I'm trying to unite my people, and I'm trying to unite the worst I'm doing all this what you want?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 4: You you hold these grudges and you fight wars all the time. When are you going When are you going to let that go?
Speaker 3: When are you gonna let that energy go?
Speaker 4: And it's like he's fighting with itself and God like it's such a dope song. You know what I'm saying it's one of those songs that it just shows the creativity of Kendrick Lamar. And what I respect about him is that he pushes the envelope, you know, and he does things that are different. So I would ask anybody to be listening to the album, just really listen to Reincarnated. Don't just listen to because it got that you know, that that vibe, that that Tupac vibe, but just listen to the lyrics and listen to what he's saying.
Speaker 2: I haven't had a chance to listen to the album at all, but all of my music finiciados, that's how you said. I think so that my people who love music, they seen y'all seem to be into it.
Speaker 1: So with that being said, I'm sure I will want myself.
Speaker 4: It's a body of work. It's one of those bodies of work, you know. That's what I love about Kendrick. He doesn't just drop music and that you could just buy. It's a body of work. Like each song does something different to you, but it still tells like a story, and it gives you a mind frame and puts you in a mind frame and understands and it actually makes you if you're creative of you an artist, it makes you push yourself, Like just listening to the album and gave me just ideas of my own things. They were far from his, but it just pushed me to think about different things.
Speaker 3: So it gets you push you in a creative mind state.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: Hendrick Lamar, Hendrew Lamar, all right, let's get into our guests. This is going to be a panel that I'm quite excited about today. We have several people on to talk about an issue that should matter to folks all over the country. You know, I often say we need a consent decree on America for many things, and I want to talk more about what a consent decree is with the next group of people that's coming up. So let's have our panel. It's so good to have y'all with us. It feels like home. Like we need to do it more often so we can see y'all's faces and.
Speaker 1: Continue to be in community together.
Speaker 2: I just think that it is important to state that from the day we met four years ago, which you know, by the time I met Katura, I was apologizing off the back for a big boobo that I made. But nonetheless, we have continued to support one another every single step of the way. I think what came out of our connection through Brionna Taylor, the tragic and unfortunate death of Brianna Taylor is such an example that can be studied by movements and people across the country that while we face conflict, we face drama, trauma, and your mama, everything you could think of. Still through every step of the way, outsiders to Little came together with the local community and continued to support one another. And I just think that's just so good. So I'm happy to have y'all with us today. So we are looking at the beautiful faces of Kentucky State Representative Katora Harung and also attorney at law, our dear sister Leanita Baker, who has her own law firm which is called Baker Injury Law. So if you're out there in the Louisville or Kentucky area, or how many other places can.
Speaker 6: You practice Georgia, Kentucky and Georgia.
Speaker 2: Kentucky and Georgia, and you have any type of injury law, what's that called person or injury?
Speaker 7: So you slip and follow somewhere, you get hit by a truck, a car, anything, you know, medical negligence, nursing home, any anybody injured.
Speaker 2: That's your girl to call. Attorney Lanita Baker. Thank y'all for joining us.
Speaker 7: Thank you, and that's soon to be senator parent you're not ship, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Katura took off and has not stopped yet. So I'm sure that soon you'll be in Washington, d C. Being you know, Congresswoman Katura or Haran. It is coming. I'm not even worried about it.
Speaker 3: That's right. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: Politics is a lot, you know, and uh so we'll see, we'll see what God has in store.
Speaker 2: I have a friend who is an elected official in New York who calls me today. I'm cleaning and just listening to this person venting that, like it's so hard to be real and in politics like that is the toughest job ever is to maintain being a real person who's seriously about the issues, be an authentic having a social justice lens and trying to blend in with as they said, these suckers. Man, I can't take it. Man, that's a word.
Speaker 8: It is very difficult to balance, and it's very difficult really to live when you're not doing politics. This past weekend, I went to a wedding and a guy came up to me and he's like, don't I know you?
Speaker 3: And so I told him.
Speaker 8: Who I was and he was like, you have a card and I was like no, He's like, why don't you have a card? And I'm like, I'm at a wedding, like I'm just trying to be And so it's definitely a balance, and you know, it's very humbling and an honor to serve, but it is.
Speaker 3: It takes a toll on.
Speaker 7: An individual for real tour and you're better than me because I'd be out. If I'm out at a regular social event, people like I know you from somewhere. I'm like, I don't know where from, and my friends would be like you wrong.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I mean, I know what I'm not trying to talk about.
Speaker 1: That's what my thought does to people.
Speaker 2: People walk up to my thought everywhere and they go, yo, I know you, I know your He goes like he don't know what the people were talking about, because at.
Speaker 4: The end of the day, I mean, sometimes you just want to relax, and if they figure out who you are, they say, hey, you certain says that obliged. But I'm not the person that's going to say UNDERGA, I might say unwrapped and I do this.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do all. You know, So if you just say you look familiar, I think I know I'll be like, well, maybe you do.
Speaker 6: You know those faces?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you tell me that all the time.
Speaker 2: Y'all, two us so much alike is ridiculous. But so we're here to talk about a serious issue today. I appreciate the two of you being able to alter your schedules because this is a real time sensitive issue for lots of reasons. You know, during President Obama's presidency his terms in office, one of the things that I was very proud of that we worked on and we advocated for, was the use of consent decrees to address the concerns around police departments around the country. We know that depending on who your president is, and particularly Republican governors do not lean into consent decrees at all. But under President Obama they were an eric holder. Obviously being the Attorney General. This was something that they sort of brought to the forefront and really began to use that particular model that whatever you're going to explain it to us a little better, Attorney Baker to address, to address police departments where their behavior is not just one incident or two incidents, but there is a pattern, a pattern in practice of abuse, misuse of force, the violation of civil rights, and the issues go on and on. And so we saw more of that happening across the country. And of course, once Donald Trump became president, the first time it went away, they in fact declined to continue in that on that path. And here we are back there again. Lenita, why don't you tell us what is the importance of the consent degree and then you can give us a little bit of information about what's been happening in.
Speaker 1: Kentucky, And of course Katura please jump in.
Speaker 7: So the importance of a consent decree is it provides oversight for the police department. It's not the chief, it's not the mayor. It's basically saying police department. Sometimes it's jail, sometimes it's school, so like in this particular instance, we're talking about the Louiso Metro Police Department. But consent decrees are when the Department of Justice, the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, which we know is led by Right now and at least into January, led by the formidable Kristen Clark, who has just been amazing in the four years that she's had to lead that section of Department of Justice.
Speaker 6: It gives us her court orders.
Speaker 7: Other tools for monitoring for these entities who under their investigations they found that an entity, whether again police department, jail schools, any government entity, has engaged in violating the civil rights of any particular group of citizens within the United States.
Speaker 6: And so as we know here in.
Speaker 7: Louisville, and after President Biden became president, the Department of Justice announced that it would do an investigation into the Louisville Metro Police Department for patterns in practice. Part of that was based off of the recognition that came in from Breonna Taylor. But in addition to Brionna Taylor, I tell people, you know, we had the search warrants. I represented a young man, formidable young man named Tayon.
Speaker 6: Lee, who was stopped you know.
Speaker 7: Driving his car in the West End, driving his mother's car in the West End, detained forty five minutes to an hour simply because he happened to be in the wrong neighborhood driving a nice car and being a black male, all he wanted to do was go home on his day off.
Speaker 6: And you know, we just settled his case last year.
Speaker 7: But there was a pattern of those and the Louis Police Department called that a people places narcotics strategy to decrease valient crime. But what they were doing was basically horizon people in the wrong neighborhood. So their thought was, oh, if we find guns come with drugs, and you know, if we cracked down on drugs and guns, then you know we're reducing crime. But what you were doing were I seen innocent young men. We've seen that, you know through their investigation the improporate Like when I read the Patterns in Practice Practice report for LMPD, you would have thought you were in nineteen sixties, like releasing dogs on teenagers.
Speaker 6: Like what world are we living in? That this is okay? And so that was ye'ah.
Speaker 7: You know that those patterns in practice binding came down, I want to say in twenty twenty two. It's not early twenty twenty three. And the mayor team whoever he put in place to negotiate on behalf of the city and the Department of Justice, which I know, you know this is a priority for them to get this content decree signed before the administrations change. I've been negotiating, but here we are two months out, and what I can say, if it's not signed by January nineteenth, it's not gonna get signed and.
Speaker 6: It would be business as usual for LMPD.
Speaker 7: And we really need these consent decrees to force change.
Speaker 6: Like we have a new police chief.
Speaker 7: He can't It's only so much you can do if you can't say, well, we got to change because we got this consent decree. Otherwise will be in valiation of a court order because it is monitored about the court.
Speaker 1: It's all about culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's unbelievable to me. So basically we have two months in order to be able to have some type of jurisdiction or what these police can do to us, and they've already said that they've noted a bunch of patterns and practices that are pretty much unconstitutional, and so we got to fight for them to actually just do the right thing.
Speaker 7: For the mayor to do the right thing and sign the consent decree. And when we say two months, it's because of what happened with the election. If we weren't if November seventh, it turned out differently.
Speaker 6: It may not. It still needs to be signed, but it's not as high of a like.
Speaker 7: I don't think BP Harris would have been saying we're not going to do consent decrees. But we know that Donald Trump would do that because one, he did it the first time he was elected, you know, when he took office in twenty seventeen, and two he already wants officers to have full immunity, So what the hell would why would he do it content decree? So that's why we are at the space that we are at. And I feel like, for me, for as much work as everyone on this callee put in, for as much work as everybody in the city has put in, if our mayor is not willing to sign it, then like.
Speaker 1: That's another issue, a whole other issue.
Speaker 6: But it's time for him to go too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm gonna say that.
Speaker 8: Before we go on, or do want to like, let the folks know what exactly those things were that were in that report absolutely so specifically the Justice Apartment and found that LMPD uses excessive force, including unjustified net restraints and unreasonable use of police dogs and tasers. Conduct searches based on invalid warrants, unlawfully execute search warrants without knocking and announcing, unlawfully stops searches, detains and arrests people during street enforcement activities, including traffic and pedestrian stops, unlawfully discriminates against black people and its enforcement activities, violates the rights of people engaged in protected free speech critical of police. And the last thing they found was that LMPD discriminates against people with behavioral health disabilities room responding to crisses.
Speaker 1: That's a list. That's a long list.
Speaker 3: That's a long list.
Speaker 1: Representative Haraan, why would your man not sign? What is he saying? What's the issue at this point?
Speaker 8: I mean, I think if you look at what he is saying publicly, he just basically said that they're not in agreeans but has not gone into detail exactly what that means. But publicly that is what he is saying that currently they do not agree. The two parties have not come on an agreeance. I think the other thing that I want people to know and understand is that the community has never been a part of the process once the negotiation is started, So we're actually also in a place where we're putting trust in the current administration and putting trust in the DOJ that whatever comes out of it, that we're trusting that that is what we want as a community.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 8: You know, it's so it's a lot so like right now, we're literally putting our trust in these two entities that they're going to do right by the people. And so as we're saying we need to get this done before January nineteenth, we still haven't even had it even been a part of that deeper conversation about what exactly is the negotiations right now or who actually from.
Speaker 3: The city is a part of the negotiation. We don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that our councilwoman, Shamika parish Wright has also joined. Thank you so much for Shamika for coming in and being with us. Counselwoman, please.
Speaker 5: Thank you first, good afternoon, and it's an honor to be here and I really appreciate you all. Keeping as fire lit, I told Tamika, the timing is perfect, and I'm glad that we have a Kentucky lawyer who is very amazing and capable. So if I say some things that ain't right, you could get me right. But I first want to thank now Senator Electator hearing. That is the phenomenal to know that you're going to be carrying justice and equality and all those things at that level because we really really need it. And today we had a press conference right at in Justice Square aka Jefferson Square, right where the marker is signifying what happened to Breonna Taylor and all the subsequent best David McAtee and Tyler Gerf and everyone else that's been connected. It's been an ongoing battle. I don't know about you all, because you all have been day one down on the ground too, but it's been an up and down roller coaster and as my son alluded to, it just seems like never ending, you know, an accountability I don't know. I got in trouble a lot when I was younger. I don't know about you all, and the only choice I had sometimes was to choose a switch or a belt or punishment, and to me, punishment was the worst. But I knew that with the switch or the belt it'll be over with quick. The problem is is that LMPD is trying to continue through the mayor, because the mayor is now as a puppet we have one of our deputy mayors that is a former police officer that still operates, was once over the FOP was once he was there when they had a recent consent decree. This is our second consent decree in recent history. The first one was on the hiring practices, and he was there this this deputy mayor was there doing that part of the process and maybe it helped him as a black man on the police force. But right now what we have is people the police who have been policing themselves the whole time, trying to tell us. They didn't tell us how they were going to hurt us, but they're trying to tell us how we should heal. So they're looking for an exit date. They said that they looked at all these different content decrees in other places and they seem to go on with the monitoring and they want to make sure.
Speaker 9: That there's a real clear exit strategy.
Speaker 10: One of the reasons, one of the reasons we have were giving to what was given to why the mayor isn't, as you know, trying to sign it.
Speaker 5: But they say different things. They talked about both sides of their mouth. They say in one press conference by Thanksgiving we should have something, and that the mayor is eager to sign it. And then when I was just in a council meeting before our regular council meeting, it was announced that the mayor wants to make sure that there's an extra strategy and in one of the council people alluded to the ongoing cost of monitoring. So my thing is, so what whatever it costs, LMPD earned it. That is the narrative that we must all be united on. They earned this concept decree. You don't get to tell us when it ends. You don't get to try to maintain and monitor.
Speaker 9: What you get out of your as.
Speaker 5: Your punishment or your consequences. Because this has happened before, our LMPD is our the same Louisville Metro Police Department accused of hurting young children in their Explorer program, raping young children, raping women. There's nothing in our books for that. I'm thankful for the work of representative hearing because without that we wouldn't even have a formal no more, no knocks on the books. I'm thankful for the States, but there's been nothing really significant. So the DOJ response is a federal response, and what we need is a local response that helps us hold them accountable, which is why I followed the People's Consent to cree and that has exactly what Caturrn Hearing laid out, as well as the History of Policing report. It's their words, it's the words that they've accepted, that they put on their website, and to get my colleagues to pass a resolution meant for them. They couldn't hold too truth. You can want the most trusted, trained, well paid police department, but they still are held accountable because basically we're paying them and they're violating human rights and civil rights and there's no repercussion. And if you really want to stop the gang balance and the balance that we see, that balance happens in board rooms, it happens before we see it on the ground, and it definitely happens with our police department. So we have so many fronts on I just appreciate being able to be a part of this communication. I plan to refoul the People's Consent decree. It passed out of committee and then it got sold when it went to the whole council, and so I wrote our council for council, I wrote them and asked them, what do I need to do to foul this again, because we have nothing in writing to meet in mine soon on our books that really acknowledges what has happened. This federal response is one thing, but we don't have anything that signifies what happens so that we can hold them accountable going forward.
Speaker 7: I think one thing with that though, too, is we do have to be cognizant of Like I'm in support of the people's consent decree, but I also don't want to confuse constituents in we have a federal consent decree which the federal courts can enforce, and so there is that enforceability mechanism within that consent decree. And I you know, I've seen the work that Kristin Clark has been putting in around the country, not just in Louisville.
Speaker 6: Like this isn't just something she's doing in Louisville.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: She comes from Tamika, you know, Kristen, she She's got a long pedigree from Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights under the Law to you know that this appointment and you know, her office being the one that led the is leading the criminal prosecutions for the officers against Breonna Taylor, her office being the ones that you know did the criminal prosecutions against the officers that was throwing to Slashy.
Speaker 6: So it's like her office.
Speaker 7: Has been the one holding these people responsible for even the little bit of respons is. It's it's a small measure of accountability for what needs to be happened. But any type of accountability that's come, whether it's in Brianna Taylor's case or whether it's in other cases the civil rights violations, it's coming from her office.
Speaker 6: And so I have a lot of faith.
Speaker 7: It's like when we talk about what's in that consent decree, Kristen ain't letting no bs come through that consent decree. And so like when I say like pushing consent like before January nineteenth, like to me, I feel like may Greenberger has stalled it out and you know he's sought it out to see what's gonna happen with the election, and then like, oh the election turned out, you know, we might get away without actually ever having.
Speaker 6: To sound one. And it's like, nah, we shouldn't let that ride.
Speaker 7: Like this department is no better than it was when they issued that report. And you set up here and it's like, oh, we're going to accept the accountability and da da da. And at the end of the day, when we talk about how much it's gonna cost to monitor it, what I can tell you is these lawsuits that continue to come costs more than the cost to monitor it because they continue to get sued back to back to back. Like people are taking this patterns and practice investigation finding, they're taking like the civil rights attorneys are taking it in court, like look what they do, Like it's ain't just they can't say they didn't know, they've been valid and they continuing to do it.
Speaker 6: So like we have to change.
Speaker 7: And if they're not going to change, like mayor, by bye bye.
Speaker 3: So what do you think what should be the next steps? What can people do?
Speaker 4: Like, you know, Katura was talking about how there is nobody part of you know, the community that has any input inside of what happened in is discent decrease. So what can just the people in constituents and the citizens do to help move this forward.
Speaker 8: I think the biggest thing right now is there has to be all hands on deck and pressure for the mayor's office to sign it, you know, and people can do that by a calling directly to the Mayor's office. People can also call their Metro Council members. Obviously we have Councilwoman Paris right who's on board. But the same way that we had the line going when it came to Breonna Taylor in twenty twenty, when you call Metro Council literally on that line and said, if you're calling regard Breonna Taylor, press one, all other inquiries press two, and that's the same type of pressure that needs to be put back on that. They need to note that the people are serious and that this needs to be signed because of significance. No matter what the next administration is gonna do, this is the responsibility of the mayor.
Speaker 3: And this administration.
Speaker 8: We can't wait to see what a Trump administration's gonna do, whether he's gonna take them away or not. We'll deal with that when that piece comes, but right now, the Mayor's office they need to do everything in their power to put that pen to that paper and sign it and to get on the contract to make sure that the people of Louisville are protected, and then for him to hold truth to what he said that he was gonna do when the people elected him right, And.
Speaker 2: I think that's so important because regardless of what happens with Trump, he still has a re election for himself. The mayor is going to want to run for reelection, and people need to be able to measure him, not by Kristen Clark, not by Donald Trump, not by any of those measures. It needs to be based upon his own merit and what he has done. And so I think, I think you're one hundred percent right that we have to turn up the energy. That's why we wanted to have this conversation today so that people can have the information they need. It is very challenging when you're working, studying, living your life to understand everything that's happening around you, especially in terms of the political atmosphere, and it is important for us to break it down and bite size pieces so people can say that I understand that, I want to get behind that I want to fight for it. A lot of times we say that our communities are not really involved in things, and it's literally because they don't understand because no one has explained it to them. And so I think, you know, getting out there and you know and making sure that every Lotty Dottie and everybody, as they say, knows exactly what's happening in this moment is going to be important, and that's the work of the foot soldiers, you know, those of us who knock on doors, who talk to folks and getting that type of information out there. So I know you also wear another hat, counsel woman, of also being a vocal Kentucky And I'm sure you all are already working on this, but I feel like what people who are listening can do is to get the information that they need to go push it out into the corners of the city. So talk about that. But I want to make sure Representative Iran that you are able to come back and really briefly before you go today. This is Louisville, but this issue is not only a Louisville issue. This is i'm sure all of Kentucky, and we need to consent to decree in America in general over all, the police departments, all of that, right, we need all.
Speaker 1: Of it, all of them.
Speaker 2: So I want you to talk about what do you see in terms of the importance of this for the entire state of Kentucky, because I'm sure there are other pockets that are under your purview. Who have similar issues that are not being addressed. So one first, we'll go with you, Shamika, and then Katura.
Speaker 5: Thank you for that, and I answer you and my song questions. That is exactly it. The community organizing has to happen no matter what three sixty five, whether somebody is running or not. The awareness to making this work digestible in different levels and for people to understand their roles. I think that there's a lot of things that people can do within their discretion that they don't realize they can do. And so education that is continuous, that's reciprocated is so important through this process and making sure that we show up or the good thing is I have my counsel role, and then as you said, I have the role as the director of an organization that is fighting for people to not be incarcerated, to not have their rights violated, to be able to meet people where they at. And these are people who are directly intacted, who are now being asked to be at decision making tables at judiciary hearings to be able to articulate their story. So they're a storytelling part of this. And I totally agree with LENNINGA. Baker on. My distrust is not with that part of what Christian Clark and other folks are doing. My issue is that we make things, we paint things with our current administration for one thing.
Speaker 9: In the media, but if we don't have a.
Speaker 5: Way to hold them accountable locally, then it's just the same old thing as we've seen the police police in themselves. So one of the other jobs we have to do, and I'm hoping that the People's consent decree.
Speaker 9: Adds to it, is keep that fire lit. Keep the fire lit because the mayor cares about his name and the press because he's working on getting re elected, like Nita saying, and election has its consequences as we all are still processing and dealing with the most recent elections. So I think that we have to be both in and we have to know who our allies are and work with them. I think the work that you all are doing is phenomenal because until freedom can bring that national platform, keep that national heat on.
Speaker 5: And I think what Katura is doing is amazing because her work and our work with Vocal, we're going into the hoods, the hollows, the suburban, the urban, and we're talking to people and guess what, It's less about their party affiliation, less about the lines that separate them, and it's more about these issues. And as you said to me, because the same issues people are dealing with in these hoods and in these counties where everybody knows everybody, and they use the judicial system to further bully the people. And so we got to make sure that we're showing up for people in every way. So we're going to continue the base build, We're going to continue to mobilize, We're going to continue to get more people engaged in our organization and the other partner organizations. And then we also want to push for people to be appointed to these seats as commissioners, as being a part of where these decisions are being made and where we can push people to use their discretion, because a lot of people need to be engaged in this work, not just our foot soldiers, of course, but sometimes we have people who work within the government or within the agencies who can lift up their voices and be a.
Speaker 9: Part of this.
Speaker 5: So I think the empowerment to standing with our folks when they are making the right decisions, to having their back when things are going well, and to build a culture, because you talked about culture change earlier, to build a culture where people can actually stand on the right side of this penimum that we know is moving towards justice and feel supported. Because we still operate as a small town in Kentucky where they can pick up the phone and shut you down, and so people worry about their jobs and their housing. So we're trying to find ways where people can take a part of this and still have a home to go to and still have a job to go to. So I'm in it to wherever our vocal folks are in it and other organizing groups are in it, and I want to be connected to what you all are doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good, Shamikha.
Speaker 8: And as you spoke about the hood to the holler and the urban and suburban, this police misconduct is happening all over the state of Kentucky, and so as you said, why is it important that we do this here, It's important because we need to send a message across the commonwealth. Just last week, there was a family of a white guy, I believe his name was Joseph Martin. Believe it's Joey or Joseph Martin that his family just fouled a lawsuit and they're wanting a federal investigation because their son was killed in Marion County, in a smaller county in our state, where the police kneeled on the back of his neck for over a minute and a half.
Speaker 3: And so when we talk.
Speaker 8: About the misconduct that's happening as it relates to policing, it's not just happening in Louisville. It is happening across the commonwealth. Here in the Commonwealth, there's been a lot of police involved shootings where police have killed and shot individuals who were unarmed. And so this is something that I believe that if we're able to get that consent decree done here in Louisville, then it does in the message across the state and it empowers other communities to say, you know what, we can speak up and we can band together to hold our law enforcement together, because as counselwoman just said, it is very difficult when you go out in these communities and talk to folks, their business owners, they have law practices, they're doctors. Some of them are afraid to speak out because depending where they are, people will stop patronizing their businesses. But I believe that this what this statement says is it doesn't matter if you're black, white, from Louisville or you're from the country. We're gonna band together and right is right and wrong is wrong. And at the end of the day, we want to make sure that all Kentuckians that they have justice and they are protected and protected from law enforcement, and the law enforcement is doing their job, and when they're not doing their job, we are going to hold them accountable.
Speaker 3: Amen. I want I just want to say one thing, just on a high note. You know, we did see a peace of justice in Breonna Taylor's case. You know we did.
Speaker 4: We you know we we've been fighting against it and it just shows how elections have consequences, how fighting has consequences. For four years straight, we did everything possible to bring attention to fight. Lenita was the lawyer, We was outside advocating. You know, we watched you guys get elected to office based off just the fighting and everything that we did during that case. So I just want you to I need to just speak a little bit about what happened in that case and just you know, and give us a little bit of hope, a little bit of hope and just say what should be the next steps that we should be doing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, of course, a few weeks ago, Bratt Hankinson was found guilty for voilating the civil rights of Breonna Taylor.
Speaker 6: So his sentence and is now in April.
Speaker 7: First, it was gonna be March twelfth, which was, you know, on the eve of the anniversary of Brianna's death. But I think his lawyers later realized that, hold on, that might not so it's in April now.
Speaker 6: But that's okay, Ms Palmer. She was mad, but she's okay now.
Speaker 7: He did foul a motion for a new trial, you know, as I tell Miss Palmer all the time.
Speaker 6: Like that, he's their defense attorney.
Speaker 7: They have to do it right. I'm not as worried about the motion for a new trial. The one thing I can say about Judge Jennings is I do feel like she did everything within her power to make sure that that trial was fair. And so I'm not as concerned about a new trial. And she's not going anywhere anytime. I'm soon, Judge Jennings. The other two officers, Joshua James and cal Meanie, were still waiting on trial dates for them. Mike songer An. I always forget Inns name.
Speaker 6: I hate it. But the DOJ prosecutors.
Speaker 7: The good thing about the two prosecutors that we've had in this case is they extend beyond any presidential administration.
Speaker 6: They didn't come on when Biden was higher.
Speaker 7: You know, they've been around for ages, and so, you know, barring somebody coming in and telling them to get rid of these cases, they're going to fight tooth and nail to get justice for BROWNA. Taylor's family. And I have four faith and trust in those two prosecutors. You know, you guys saw the first trial. This trial, we was all outside trying to figure out what's going on with elections. It was so much going on this time around it, and like even I was like, did we really set a trial like two weeks before election date or a month before election day? But that first trial, you know, you got to see them and and and interact with with those prosecutors, and you can tell their heart art that it is for fighting a system of corruption within police departments and get rid of.
Speaker 6: Those civil rights violations. And so I do have faith in those two.
Speaker 2: We were fighting and we were in an election during the first trial as well. Because that's when we spent Daniel Cameron's asked and sentence.
Speaker 5: Exact Cameron Judge just always.
Speaker 1: It's never there is no fight that we're.
Speaker 2: Involved in that's easy or simple, or the cake will always an added layer. I forgot about that it was doing it was there an election. So but I want to say thank you to all of you, and and my son has said that we have wins.
Speaker 6: I got one thing though, before you go.
Speaker 7: So next Tuesday, the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division, we talked about Tamika Palmer, Brianna's mom.
Speaker 6: She is going to be in Washington, d C. With Kristin Clark.
Speaker 7: This year marks thirty years of Patterns in Practice the Civil Rights Department Division, Department of Justice being able to pursue civil rights remedies for patterns in practice as valation.
Speaker 6: So they have a panel coming up next Tuesday.
Speaker 7: Ms Palmer is going to be there as a representative of a family who's been impacted. As you heard, representative or Senator elected. I don't know which one.
Speaker 5: I like.
Speaker 6: We're going to representative senator elect give a.
Speaker 5: Hearing.
Speaker 7: You heard her talk about one of the valations that they found was getting improper search warrant so that the patterns in practice definitely led to Brianna's murder.
Speaker 6: And so she's going to be up there with.
Speaker 7: Kristin Clark and some other Derek Johnson's one of the panelists. So that's going on next Tuesday, December third. And the phone calls still work because when we was doing a number no Knock, some of my friends that were all Metro Council call and it was like, I'm not already voted for it. Can you please tell them to stop calling me. I'm like, now they're calling everybody.
Speaker 1: I can't you know, So anything about that, that's all right.
Speaker 2: You get a call too, because the elected officials, from the morning to the night, things can shift. So we just get fresh on because when those donors start calling things, people start getting a little shaky, which is why I appreciate that the two elected officials that we have here are two that.
Speaker 1: Have taken the hard way.
Speaker 2: It's the steps up the backside of the building, and you know you might have to take the fire escape also, which means that you're not taking the money from all the big corporations and the special interest groups. You know, you out here bootstraps like real knee and dollars and cents from every single person who believes in justice, who believes in a fair process in terms of you know, our government and elections and all of that, and you know, and I just think, you know, it's the same for us. And until freedom, we could be taking money from corporations. And you know, we got we have friends, they got a lot of money. They would love to give us money, but they got that's gonna come with conditions. It's gonna come with people expecting certain things. So we are out here. Sometimes the bank account has the money for payroll, and sometimes it's real low, and we're trying to figure it out. But at the end of the day, we maintain our integrity, and certainly the two of you have done that. And of course Lanita won't even take certain people's cases, So that's an I'm gonna I'm gonna talk to her because Lania needs to be the one to go get rich, don't worry about not taking certain people's money so the rest of us can have something.
Speaker 1: We love y'all so much.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be in Kentucky soon, and this particular effort, it feels like we have days to push as hard as possible. So let's talk offline and figure out what that looks like and continue to to and and to activate our base.
Speaker 1: We have a base. We built a base.
Speaker 2: In Kentucky across the state of people who just need to know what to do, and we need to give them that and get them to work.
Speaker 1: Y'all, Love you, y'all.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Congratulations again.
Speaker 4: By y'all.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's a it's a fight, it's a struggle. It's it's we like this.
Speaker 3: We're always in the trenches, man, that's what we do.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: So shout out to Katura, I mean, representatives Paris, right, councilwoman in shout out to Esquire. So all the work we've done, man, Like you said, we built a real family in Kentucky. Now, I wanted to make sure that we talked about that little piece of justice that we got.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 4: For all those years, you know, there was tears, there was there was tear gas.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a lot of things that was lost.
Speaker 4: There was we lost other people during that that lost their life, you know, during those times. So I just want to say that when we fight, we win, man. We don't you know, we don't always win. But when we fight, you know, we actually any because because we fought, you know, so I just want us to understand. People say, oh, what you marched for?
Speaker 3: What you doing that for?
Speaker 4: We marched so that we could see some justice for Breonna Taylor and the actually have we marched so we can make sure that.
Speaker 3: Daniel Cameron then become the governor.
Speaker 4: These are things that we launched for, and we understand when we make our voices loud and we show our unity and we are intentional about things, those things actually happen.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, absolutely, what don't you get today, sir?
Speaker 3: What don't not get today?
Speaker 4: And it's it's it's pretty much simple because it goes along with this. You know, we're talking about descent decrees and Patterson practices, and we're talking about all these laws that can be activated and things that need to be activated, and then we.
Speaker 3: Talk about an election.
Speaker 4: And what I don't get right is we we've been very intentional about letting people understand that for us, it wasn't November seventh or no, it was November eighth, it was the day after.
Speaker 1: No, it's November.
Speaker 2: The election was it was November six of it was November fifth, y'all people all wrong.
Speaker 5: You A.
Speaker 4: I was just I don't even remember it, but I just know we made We were very vocal about saying that. For us, it was the day after election that we really needed to start organizing. And what I don't get is how there is this narrative and there's this loud people screaming, well, the the election is open now, won't y'all just get over it? You know Trump is the president, that's it.
Speaker 3: Just move on.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: I don't get what that means.
Speaker 4: I don't get why people don't understand that there's the process. You elect the president. Now, you hold the president accountable. Now you are very critical. Now you make sure the things that needed to get that you want to happen in your community happen. It's not okay, we wanted a different candidate. Our candidate loss, so we don't work anymore. Like, I don't even understand why people think that's how it goes.
Speaker 3: Every time I have a conversation or you post something about.
Speaker 4: Okay, these are the people that you know the president elect is putting in his cabinet, and they.
Speaker 3: Oh, y'all just saw losing.
Speaker 4: No, we want you to understand the process We want you to understand who the hold accountable for certain things inside our communities, things that's going on inside, laws that we need to be passed, laws that haven't been passed. We want everybody to be aware. We're not supposed to just go to sleep. The election is over and we just go to bed, because no, it doesn't work like that. So I really don't get why people think that now because Trump is a has been elected president and he wasn't the person that we wanted to be elected president, that we're supposed to just sail off into the sunset and be quiet for four years. I just don't understand that.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't have anything to add to that.
Speaker 1: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: I've never not been fighting against elected officials, I mean literally, even when they're my friends.
Speaker 3: This is what I told him, I said, I'm not for an opponent.
Speaker 2: I you know, I supported Mayor Deblasio's him becoming mayor in New York City.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I don't think, I don't think I endorsed him.
Speaker 2: I can't remember at this point, but I do know that while Mayor Deblasio was mayor, especially in the beginning, I was a supporter of his because I knew what he had committed to. He was out there, he was protesting with us against stopping frisk. He was extremely vocal about reform dealing with policing in New York City. He also was very supportive of the community violence intervention community. He was one to give a number of dollars, millions of dollars in his budget to community violence intervention advocates and grassroots workers and leaders across the city. And so I supported that as soon as he started to waiver because the police turned their backs on him, and he had a number of challenges in terms of dealing with specifically with police abuse, and then there were other issues. And I'm not trying to relitigate the Deblasio.
Speaker 1: Time, but you know, we do know that while he.
Speaker 2: Was mayor, Daniel Pantaleo, which is the officer who killed Eric Garner, he the mayor's response to that and the way he handled the situation, and the fact that his own police department refused to move forward with very significant and serious accountability measures for Daniel Pantaleo, we said, well, the nice uh what do you call it?
Speaker 6: The nice?
Speaker 2: Oh damn, what is it called? The honeymoon period is on, and we went to fighting him and will continue to do so with anybody. Eric Adams, it doesn't matter who it is. Joe Biden has also been a recipient of US protesting being out there. I intended to continue to do that with Vice Presid Harris, and we're gonna do it under Donald Trump. The stakes are higher, the ability for a Trump to target our community and target us specifically. We already know that that is in fact a if no one wants to go box when you are X amount of height and X amount of weight and you're gonna go take on the heavyweight champion of the world, knowing that that is not somebody who you actually have the ability to fight and win, that's stupid.
Speaker 1: If you do that, something is wrong with you.
Speaker 2: It And I'm not saying that you shouldn't take on big opponents, but for me, every single time we fight, if you're fighting against government officials and people in positions.
Speaker 1: Of power, it's a huge fight.
Speaker 2: It is it is significant, but you can still choose within something that is more likely for you to be able to win. And so that's what we all. It's said, but we know we would have to fight anybody who is.
Speaker 1: In uh, you know, in in Washington. And it's not just Washington. It's Washington.
Speaker 2: We're now here, it's in Kentucky, it's in Albany, New York.
Speaker 1: It's in every single place.
Speaker 2: Across this country where we as a people feel oppressed and feel that we are lacking the types of resources that we need in order to have successful communities.
Speaker 1: So it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Fight.
Speaker 4: We're gonna fight, and we ain't gonna never stop fighting. We're gonna keep on fighting and we're gonna fight, fight, fight until then, Please, good night.
Speaker 3: Good night man.
Speaker 4: Listen another episode of the Best podcast in America TM my partner in Crime.
Speaker 3: I don't do crime, justice Crock. Well, we do justice, Crock. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't do just I don't do nothing any thing that has the word crime in it.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't do crime. Hello, everybody out.
Speaker 2: There, Tamika Mallory does not do crime.
Speaker 1: That's all I We do justic.
Speaker 4: Crime, justice, crime. But we want to thank y'all for continue to support us. We want to think our guests, you know, Representative Senator elect kran Shamika Parris right, our counselwoman, and also attorney Leanita Baker for joining us. We appreciate y'all, We appreciate our fans for always supporting us. And I'm not gonna always be right Tamika the marriages. I canna always be wrong
Speaker 3: But we both always and I mean always, be authentic