Speaker 1: Cutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Danny G Radio. We have made it to the Is it the end of the week or the start of the week. I think Sunday technically is the start of the new week. I believe, although for most people Monday is the start of the new week. But you got me Ben and Danny G joining us from the mailbag.
Speaker 3: Hello Danny, Yeah, live from Circa one of your favorite sports books.
Speaker 1: I love Circa. Yeah, I always I always try to go to Circa when I'm in Vegas. I don't always make I prefer that part of Vegas than the Strip. Although I told the story last was it last weekend on the podcast? I was just in Vegas because it's a suburb of Los Angeles, and I noticed when I was in Old Vegas or Downtown Vegas, depending on how you want to describe it, a lot more debauchery than I recall. Like I've always been to debauchery. I just felt a little it was a little dirtier, a little grimier. It was more of a freak show. I felt like I was at the Venice Boardwalk or Atlantic City Boardwalk, you know that kind of thing last time I was there. And I'm assuming it's the same Danny because it's only been a couple of weeks, so I'm guessing the crowd has not turned over that much in a couple of weeks. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I saw the freak show that you mentioned, but I've mostly stayed here inside the resort and I don't fly back to Lax until a few.
Speaker 4: Hours from now.
Speaker 3: Wondering if I should put a little wager down on NBA Finals Game seven for this evening.
Speaker 1: Well, I would bet on this going to eight games because Scott Foster will be officiating the game today. He's known as the extended Danny, so somehow they're going to play like best of nine. I love the fact that all these series are seven because the Giants I think was the New York Giants owner. I talked about this years ago on this podcast, but the guy that owned the New York Giants in the early days of baseball, they played some series that were best of nine. I think there were some longer than that, and they settled on best of seven. You could go best of nine, you could do whatever. I mean, they just happened to choose seven games as the magic number. But Scott Foster is going to be there, and the unpredictable nature of the NBA when you don't know who's not going to show up meeting like the other night on Friday or Thursday night. Right, it was Thursday into Friday and Oklahoma City was up by eight and then got outscored by thirty nine points until early in the fourth court they just stopped playing, Like, how does that happen in a game you can win a championship? Wild?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy, and it makes me think that they're not going to lay down like dead dogs for a second game in a row.
Speaker 1: Well, no, their favor everyone says the better team. What a choke job this would be for Oklahoma City. Holy crap, if they don't live at home. In game seven and Mala Burton's hopping on one leg. I mean, God, So the pressure, if you go by the pressure, if you believe in that. I don't believe in momentum, but I do believe in pressure, and some guys respond to it, some guys don't. And you got to be able to read the room. You would say that the vast majority of pressure is on Oklahoma City. It's like the way I described Indiana. It's kind of like when you go to the casino and you sign up for the player's card and they give you fifty free spins or fifty three plays or whatever, and so you're like, you know, if I win money, that's great. But if I don't care, if I don't do anything because it's free, it's so they gave me, so I don't really give a crap.
Speaker 3: I had to hear about Rich winning six hundred dollars on digital roulette and Big Mike who played a ten dollars slot machine and he won five hundred dollars. Me, I'm out all this money on seven dollars sodas and eighteen dollars grilled cheese sandwiches. So I would love to join the winner circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, The key is, though, if you're going to gamble, make sure you don't win any more than twelve hundred dollars, right, because I think it's like twelve is it twelve fifty or something like that. Then you got to they hand you a piece of paper and you have to fill it out in your taxes. So you always want to make sure whatever your bet is, your win is just below that sweet spot. And we're hoping that the President Trump administration will raise that because that number has not been raised since like the seventies on e within inflation and all that. You still that's the number.
Speaker 3: So you make a thousand dollars or anything over that, and Uncle Sam's like, come on, give me mine now.
Speaker 1: That should be like three thousand dollars. It should be like minimal.
Speaker 4: I agree. And we should also be able to say shit on the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what's wrong with the word fuck? Oh my gosh, you know people say that all the time, right, I mean, come on, anyway, Well, we have the mail bag, and let's jump right into it. Our friend Ohioau will serenade us and lead us in to the mail bag. It's this bag, all right, thank you, OHIOO. These are actual questions by actual listeners. If you'd like to send a correspondence into a future edition of the Fifth Hour podcast mail bag, you can do that care k of Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. That's Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. And we do appreciate you putting your name and city first. Some of you knuckleheads choose not to do that, so you're from parts unknown. Some of you somehow have burner email accounts and don't even put your name in it or the city. Those we normally don't use unless they're really good questions. So the first one up is from our friend Barry in South Carolina, although he's desperately trying to leave South Carolina. And Barry, I met him, a longtime supporter of the show and a guy that is, he was in Nashville, he went to South Carolina. He was at the Mallard meet and greet in Charleston. We did a while back, Barry says, Yo Yo Ma, Benny and Danny g. So when you are gone from the Overnight show, Barry writes, I am sure that you get tons of email asking you where you are, when are you going to be back?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 1: Is this annoying or does it make you realize the malad militia miss missus you that's from Barry. So I'm gonna go with door number three here, Barry, I'm gonna go with door number three. So it is annoying, is it is upsetting, and it is also flattering at the same time, I've become used to it and also get a lot of complaints. Whoever sits in for me must be the worst person in the world because you all tell me how much the show is not as good or whatever, which I guess is a compliment. But and then you're like critiquing things that need to be happening when I'm not there. And I promise you I love doing the show. I wanted. My dream was to be in radio. I've been able to live my dream in my life here. I'm very fortunate at doing that. I probably should have chosen something more than radio, but I chose radio, and I'm very happy that I love doing radio. However, when I'm not doing the radio show, I'm not listening to the show. So your critiques, I mean, I I appreciate it, but I'm out doing stuff and I take the rare and appropriate time off and we are at that point in June, July, and August where I will take pretty much all the time off because once September comes around, that's it. I'm locked in for football season.
Speaker 3: So I've got wait a second, if you're gone, who's gonna cover the WNBA action?
Speaker 1: I know, right, the oly crap. I have gotten some letters, Danny from people. Are you not talking about the WNBA everyone else is. I'm like, okay, listen, First of all, I don't care.
Speaker 4: First of all, they're not talking about the actual games.
Speaker 1: No, it's Caitlin Clark, it's you know, it's the story. It's the soap opera. But just again, very like to answer your question, I am flattered that people miss me. That means that the show matters to you. I don't need to give you my schedule. You're not my mom, so I don't need to tell you when I'm going to be back. I did let people know. That was one of the cool things about these There were people that were shocked that I wasn't there, But I said on this podcast before I took a couple of days off, I said, listen, I'm not going to be here. There's something going on. You found out if you listened to the Friday podcast where I was. I was in San Diego at the marine graduation, the boot camp graduation thing that I was at, and so that's why I was away for a couple of days. And then but you knew, and they were people sending me messages that obviously they say they're huge fans of the show, but they don't listen to this podcast, so otherwise they would have known that I was going to be there. So anyway, with listen, that's I'm sure I'll get many more complaints buried because there's some other days that I will be taking that are scheduled for other things. And so that's just the way it is. Alf from the stock Room Rights and he says, I hope you gentlemen are doing well and I've recovered from the peaceful protest. Yes, let me preface my question with the story Alf says. He says, when I was a teenager, I worked in a small neighborhood grocery store. Now, one day I was bringing up items from the basement to stock on the shelves, and an older female cashier offered to help because they were slow up front. When we got to the basement, she said to me, I'll carry the light beer because it's not as heavy. Now, Alf said, even as a teenager, I recognized a good joke, but knowing this woman, she was not kidding. Now to the point, Alf says, ferg Dog once mentioned that if someone speeds up the podcast when listening, it's cheating. What say you? Also, if I listened to two time speed on the podcast and he listens at one time the speed, does it mean that he's half as fast? Thirdly, if I listen at two times based on the cashier's logic, do you get twice? The credit that's from Alf.
Speaker 3: Makes me laugh right now because a few days ago, our fourteen year old she showed us a video she took. She was proud of it when she took the video, she was embarrassed by it. After we all watched it and she realized what she had done. Her mom left her cell phone in the living room and went to run an errand I think to target. My stepdaughter took her iPad and recorded herself showing that mom's phone is right here. She's like, look, my mom left her cell phone. I better call to tell her that her cell phone.
Speaker 4: Is left behind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then you could hear her mom's cell phone ring in the video, she had such a blonde moment. That's great, that's yea funny. She obviously needs a college fund a little bit. Well, she's not getting a scholarship.
Speaker 1: She's learning the ways of the world. But I like the thing about that, Danny is like, I don't know about you. Like I think for most of us, anywhere you go, if you don't have your phone, you feel like you're missing your right arm, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like it's like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: You got to have it. Like I get in the car, I listen. I actually, you know, I'll promote it. I use the iHeart app or I use some music apps that I use and when I'm driving, and they're all connected on the bluetooth to my car. So if I don't have my phone, I can't listen to anything. Really. I mean, I do have the old school radio, but I usually do it with it. It's cleaner on the stream so I'll do it on one of the streaming services and all that. Usually iHeart and so, but if I don't have it, I'm like, oh my god, which is crazy because we're both of the age, like we our entire child that we didn't have phones. We were fine, right, and I mean pretty much even as a young adult, I didn't really have I had the original cell phones were these big bulky things and we didn't really have use them anywhere the way we use it.
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Whenever she gets punished and her mom takes her phone away quote unquote for the weekend, that never happens because she bugs her mom so much that she finally gives in and just gives it back to her, because, like what you said, people feel naked without their cell phone. Every thirty minutes, she would check in with her mom, how about now?
Speaker 4: Can I have it back? Can I have it back now?
Speaker 3: And she grinds her so much that she finally just gives her her stupid phone back.
Speaker 1: The war of attrition kids, No, remember when we were kids? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we well? We're on a road trip. Are we there? Why? Why are we there yet? How much longer are we gonna be there?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Thank you, alf and we do appreciate it. One of my favorite bits. We don't really do this much anymore, but on the Overnight Show, we would get guys to get their like grandparents and like older relatives who just got smartphones and didn't know how to use them like automatic to subscribe and download the podcast, because we're like, there you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, I count I loved it when you and I took unsuspecting callers and tape them for the following day's show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah, well we did that for a lot.
Speaker 3: So if it was Wednesday, I would tell them, all right, this is gonna be for Thursday show. Make sure you come in hot with a lot of energy and say happy Thursday. Oh yeah, yeah dad, Sure enough. The caller would be like, this is so and so happy Thursday.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't do that.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, now, remember, we'd stop him. That's not good enough. Take two.
Speaker 1: I need to bring that bit back. I haven't done that as much here recently, but that's a classic. That's an old school radio bit that's honored to me. That's honoring the legends of radio when you do the Mike from Fergnag Mike aka Fergdog in Fortune Rights and says, hey, boss and Chief, how pumped are you guys? That the greatest eater of all time, Joey Chestnut is making his return to the Nathan's hot dog eating contest. Also is the w NBA a sport or a spin off of the Real Housewives. It's hard to tell. Actually, this is just what we were talking about listening live to the podcast here. What are you doing, you schmuck? Yeah, all the w NBA stories like the one the other day was there was one of the I don't know the names of the players other than Caitlin Clark, but one of the women was complaining because there were people outside the hotel that wanted autographs and she was complaining. She thought that was weird that someone would be waiting outside the hotel.
Speaker 3: There's the blonde girl with the long legs. Have you seen her, the one that stood up for Caitlin Clark during the.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yeah, they sold out a jersey or something like that, right, a little merch and the autograph thing that hit close to home. Dany I related to that because when I was in high school, I made some extra money and I was hired to get autographs that people sold, So I would follow baseball players around to the hotel and to restaurants and stuff, and that was my little side hustle to make some bucks, which pretty much just went to buy tickets to go to the game and all that until we figured out how to sneak into the game. But it's so funny to me all of these stories about the w NBA players complaining and for twenty years they complain because we just want to be like the other sports. We just want to be covered. We want to be like the NBA. We want to be like these other sports. We're women, you know, hear us roar. And now they're getting a little taste of it, not because they're any good, but Caitlin Clark is popular, so they're getting a taste of in the WNBA. And what do they do, nothing but bitching, nothing but complaining. Like newsflash, if you're somewhat popular, there are going to be people outside your hotel. They're going to be people following you around to restaurants to get autographs. I don't care if you're a win or not. It's a money making opportunity. And it's like also some of these people say, hey, I don't sign for adults. In fact, we had Helmet man On He ran into Aaron Judge in West Hollywood when the Yankees were in LA to play the Dodgers, and Aaron Judge said, I don't sign for adults. I only signed for kids. Right, but what ends up happening and these people are so stupid, the players, the athletes. Well then the autograph hounds will just pay kids to go get their autograph. So it's like, you know you're not gonna you're not gonna win that battle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it turns into child labor.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So you're encouraging child labor. Aaron Judge like, what are you doing, dude? You know, just sign it. It's like, and what's the big deal, dude, You're you're richer than rich. Like you can make the argument the w NBA players aren't that rich. You're in Judges likes, just sign the autograph and Joey Chestnut listen. We're happy for Joey. We've had him on this because of you, Danny. We've had him on a few times. I don't know if he's gonna be on this. I guess we'd have to get him for next week because the following week is the fourth of July. Right, if my math is correct, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could hit him up and see if he has some time for the fifth hour.
Speaker 1: Remember last year, last year we tried to We got him on, but it was very awkward. Yes, I called him hung up on me? I called him again, Why do you keep calling me? It was like he was very upset.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Last year, the only time he wanted anything to do with me is when we were filling in on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, I'll go for the the big time slot there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he did come on Covino and Rich the day he made the announcement. So I feel like I'm making progress with him because that wasn't the Dan Patrick time slot one year removed. I feel like I'm making a little bit of progress with Joey.
Speaker 4: It's cool.
Speaker 3: Nathan's is not the same without him. And by the way, just to back up for a moment, that blonde with the long legs we were talking about Sophie Cunningham in case you want to look her up.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the woman that got upset, she was a little taken aback by the autograph. Was that Kelsey Plumb? Is that her name? Am I getting that right?
Speaker 4: That's right? That's Darren Waller's ex wife.
Speaker 1: Okay. All the guy played for the Raiders, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and retired on the Giants because they wanted him to play full back a couple of plays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not only retired from the Giants, he paid seven hundred thousand dollars or something to retire from the Giants. That's a good financial move. That is a solid financial move. Let's see who's next. Quang in ho Chie Men, Vietnam. So he claims Big Man and Daddy g Radio, I cannot stand your overnight show. I never listened to it. Would neither shout it out as it's not a Morning Zoo show, nor download it elsewhere or everywhere I get my streaming services, and definitely do not have it as a preset. However, is there any way that I can convince you to cease and desist referring to New York City as Gotham. I am in the camp that fictional city Gotham draws its inspiration from Chicago. Well, Quang, first of all, thank you for, as you say here, not standing for the Overnight show. You never listen, would neither shout it out or listen to it, download it and all that stuff. I'm sure that is not That is the way it is, and that's not a lie at all. No, the nickname, if you look at the nickname of New York. Gotham is one of the like the Big Apple. There's a few different terms that you can use, and so, as you know, I like to mix my lexicon up. And that's you know, that's what we did. The Empire state of my city that never sleeps. But it is a verified, verified fact playing that Gotham is New York not Chicago. That's a cultural reference. And you know, do concrete jungle, I mean the Knickerbocker's stand. There's a bunch of different ways you can say New York and Gotham's known. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, okay.
Speaker 3: And I looked it up right here. It says, while Gotham itself is not a real place, it is a nickname for New York City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not making it up, Yeah, pulling it out of my ass, I'm not. I mean, come on, Tony in the Bay Area, one of my favorite callers, one of the great callers to overnight talk radio. He's short, he's quick, gets to the point, hangs up, says something offensive, We all laugh and we move on with our day. Tony the Bay writes in says, hey, Ben, did Lonnie legend leave a message, let me let me check. No, And does Danny g like comedy? I'm assuming everyone likes comedy. Danny you like comedy? Right o?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I listened to the comedy channel on my serious exam all the time.
Speaker 1: He says, if so. On YouTube, type in L seven Putts bounces off a wall and rolls around crying like a little girl. Or Tony says, just type in David Vassa, thanks fellas. All right, that's Tony on the Bay Area. It's a David vasse Well Vassay. I don't know if he's on YouTube anymore. He's so busy massaging Blake Snell. Blake Snell. Fun fact, Blake Snell's gotten more massages from David Vassay than he has starts for the Dodgers. What a great move.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 1: Holy crap, that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're back on the radio tonight, I can't wait to hear you rant on the padres.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that whole thing was was ridiculous. The padres stopped anyway, A right, mister irrigation rights, and he says, ring update, Ring, Update. Here's an artist conception of what is to be digitalized. Will be digitalized and then cast. The number one is going to be relocated to the upper left caddy corner like the three to sixty of you. Bill Miller notices, I'm giving him a spot too. There you go. So I did, now, mister. He sent me some artwork for the ring, and I made one request about a relocation of the microphone to the top. That's my preference. He has what appears to be a horse's ass on the top of the ring. And as much as I think that's funny, and it is funny, mister irrigation, I think for people to actually wear the ring, I don't know that many will want to wear a horse's ass on top of the ring. I think on the side, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Wait, since you're the leader of the ass, could you wear that ring and everybody else gets the microphone version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the Yeah, that's the thing. I would like the micro I will not, and I'll take the ring and I'll appreciate the ring. I won't ever wear the ring with the horses ass on it. But no I so and as much as I like the Bill Miller character, I don't know that Bill Miller needs to be on the ring. Either you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So what if he put a game cock on there, because then it would be a metal cock and we know how you feel about those.
Speaker 1: That was a big cock. Well, listen, we all have our preferences on that. But no, and the Bill Miller thing, while it's funny, like, the whole point is to promote the show and if you give, if people get the ring and then show it to other people, the people that don't know so well, it's the Bill Miller show. And no, it's the Ben Miller show. So he needs to the proper brain. Am I being a jerk?
Speaker 4: Danny?
Speaker 1: Is this too much to ask? I don't know. Maybe it is too much to ask.
Speaker 4: I have no idea anyway, No, he has patience for you.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, mister irrigation. And let's you hear this one's from Timmy from the lb C. He says, Hey, gentlemen, I hope you're having a great weekend, Ben and Danny. I read this week that a hundred million Americans are roasting under an extreme heat dome. Are you worried? That's from Timmy? No, Timmy, now heat dome. This is where I go on my rant about weather terminology, Danny and the atmospheric river and the different terms that have come into the lexicon in the last fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Is it true that, like a nerd, you used to watch the Weather Channel back in the day when it was just words on the screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Mike Trout, we're big fans, big fans of that. But no, like nol I had, there's one of our A couple of our listeners work for the National Weather Service. There's a fine woman who's a big fan of the show. Nice lady. She works in Colorado. She's the listener to the show, and she's she's sent some stuff to me, and some other people have sent stuff to me over over the years, saying that that people became numb to the normal weather terms, and so they decided for people to pay attention on social media, they had to change the terminology because everyone had just gotten used to all the words that were used. And so instead of just having a cyclone, it's a bomb cyclone, right. Instead of a heat wave, it's a heat dome. Instead of just a storm, it's an atmospheric river. And these are all terms that are relatively new because they're used to get people to click on weather stories. They're for clickbait and so heat Dome. This is gonna shock you, Danny in June, but really more July, August, and September. It gets hot, like not just a little hot, it gets blistering hot, like there is a a vortex of heat. There's another fun word, vortex.
Speaker 3: I mean the kind of heat like yesterday here in Vegas where I sweated through my hat pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never bring a good hat to Vegas. I've learned over the years. You bring your crappy hat to Vegas.
Speaker 4: It was one of my good ones too. I was so pissed at myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can wash it, but it's never gonna be the same. I guess you could take it to the dry cleaner. I don't know if I would recommend that. It's gonna cost you a lot of money, but it is still cheaper than getting a new hat. A Ryan see from Shrewsby Rights and says, hey boys, Danny big thanks for the Shrewsbury shout out a couple weeks back. Loved it. A question this week is that after I get married, we want to visit all different states in the country. So my question is what state did you guys visit that you loved and what state have you guys not visited but are interested in seeing? For me, besides SoCal and Vegas, it's Wyoming slash Montana. For some reason, I think it would be awesome to visit those places. Much love. That's from our friend Ryan. So, Danny, do you have a favorite destination you'd like to promote for Ryan and his bride to be to go to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you do get to go to Utah, go to mo app That was awesome, canyon lands and all that. And then also he mentioned Wyoming, beautiful state. I loved Yellowstone. If I could go back to Zion on Utah, Ben, I didn't expect it to be as beautiful as it was. I guess I thought it would be more bland. Yeah, but the scenery and the landscape was incredible.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, make sure you have Zion on your bucket list. There's a hike you can go on called the Narrows and you have to have water shoes and one of those hiking sticks and the water gets up to about your chest as you're hiking through these narrows.
Speaker 4: It is amazing.
Speaker 1: The food is bland, but the scenery is not exactly so yeah, and for me Ryan, my favorite place the visit is actually in California, although it's near Fresno, and that is the Sequoia The giant forest at Sequoia Kings Canyon than the National Park is just amazing. These two thousand, three thousand year old trees that are like this, It's like you're in Jurassic Park with the size of the trees. It's just amazing. I love, love doing that. And I don't know that I've been I've been anywhere bad. I've been to a lot of the states. I've not been to Nebraska. I haven't been to Iowa. I mean, there's a bunch in the Midwest that I've skipped. But I have been to a few Midwestern states, and I do want to get to every state. I have this problem. I have a job, so I've been able to do it.
Speaker 3: Once I lose the job, I'll be able to travel. You have a lot more free time then, yeah, a lot more. You know, you always have podcasting though, so that might still get in the way, although you can bring your laptop with you like I did.
Speaker 4: I want to see the Carolinas and I've never been.
Speaker 1: Caroline's are beautiful. The coast is really nice and a lot of trees. And I hadn't been to the south much at all. I don't consider Florida to the south. I've been to Florida a bunch, but I don't consider Florida the South. I think of like the south ends, well, maybe northern Florida. How about the Redneck Riviera. I consider that the south. But once you get into like central Florida and southern Florida, I think that's just like like this weird demilitarized zone. It's not it's more northeastern than it is South. But like, I haven't spent time in Alabama or Mississippi, not that I've heard great things about those places. Haven't been to New Orleans, haven't been to Louisiana at all.
Speaker 4: You've never been to Wyoming in Montana.
Speaker 1: I've not been to Wyoming in Montana, so I haven't done those dates. I would like to go to that. I think it's in the Dakota's God, it's it's as a National park. It's an all like rock thing. It's like a I forget what the name of it is off the top of my head, but there's a park there that looks amazing. It looks like it's like there's no life anywhere, but it's beautiful. It's an odd, odd set about. But thank you Ryan, good luck, congrats on the upcoming wedding, to you on your your bride, and good luck tough Rachel from New York. That's an odd one. You get a lot of women at all that right, questions Anyway, A few, a few, but not many, haven't heard this name before? Rachel says, Hey, Ben, Sabrina Carpenter is going to be banning phones from her concerts, despite the fact that many people who go to her concerts go to record for social media. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? That's from Rachel, who says that she was asked to send this by her boyfriend or something. I don't know. Well, thank you Rachel for doing this to appease whoever. I guess the guy in your life is, but Danny So Sabrina Carpenter big deal, right, big star? Pop star? Right now? I guess, Oh yeah, time out there, I've heard her name. If I've heard her name, she must be a big deal, because you've got to be kind of a big deal. For me, like her and Boozy or whatever is that his name, Shaboozy is something like that. Yeah, Yeah, those like those names. If I hear those names, I'm like, wow, those must be pretty famous if they trickle down to me. So banning phones, now, this is something that goes on a lot in the comedy world. If you go to a comedy show, they say no phones, no recording, uh, leave your phones off, all that stuff. Like, I haven't done too many concerts, Danny, so I don't know the etiquette. Every time I've been to a concert, it's a lot of people that are doing the Statue of Liberty. They're holding their hands up like they're looking at Lady Liberty and all that. So I'm not sure the etiquette and all that. It seems like a bad idea from a marketing deal, but she's likely a big enough name she doesn't need the promotion on social media.
Speaker 3: She has a big hit called Manchild, and a lot of people like the way she looks as well signs her voice. She was recently asked by Rolling Stones if she consider implementing a no phone policy. She said, this will honestly piss off my fans, but absolutely I went to see Silk Sonic in Vegas, and they locked up our phones. Carpenter explained, I've never had a better experience at a concert. I genuinely felt like I was back in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And the camera, the first camera. I think I talked about this this weekend on one of the podcasts that we did. That is like the first camera on a phone was like the Nokia thing, and that was like in the early two thousands where it became a thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She was born in May nineteen ninety nine. Oh my god, she's twenty six.
Speaker 1: That was like May. That was like a less than a year before I started at Fox Sports Radio. Crap, Oh my god. Woo. Okay, all right, if you're marketing, if you want promotion, you've gotta have cameras, so you gotta have phones. But she's big enough stars, she's a big pop star. She didn't need to do it. Yeah, Steve, need it, Steve, the average American man says from Indiana Rights And well, what is the average American man? What does that mean? Steve? I don't know, he says. Ben and Danny, I saw this story this week. I thought of your podcast, he says, Coca Cola has been accused of cutting costs by using less carbonation in their drinks. And then Steve wanted to know what we thought about about this story, whether it's true or not. Well, Steve, I am not. I don't. I'm not bragging here. I just don't drink soda anymore. Occasionally have a lemonade when I cheat a little bit. I'm not drinking soda, so I couldn't tell you. I don't have a first hand account. I will just tell you, Steve, as you say the average American man they're in Indiana, that what I do is I always assume that every product I buy they are doing shrink flation and they are cutting corners as much as possible. So I would it shock me if if Coca Cola was cutting carbonation. It would not shock me. Do I know that they're doing of course, I don't know that they're doing it, but if enough people on the Internet are saying they're doing it, likely there's something.
Speaker 4: I believe this.
Speaker 3: We got a thirty six pack of Pepsy zero Costco last week. Yeah, and I told my girl, I said, this tastes like flat syrup. It tastes like there's no carbonation in these cans. Yeah, there's something to this.
Speaker 1: Well, see, there's a there's a fine line, as you know, Danny, in anything where you cut costs, you cut costs, and eventually it's the old fuck around and find out chart where you f around and you find out like, well this we've gone too far and now suddenly people aren't buying, Like it's not a great thing. My dad loved soda pop and but he loved the stuff from Mexico that had real sugar in it, and so he would make sure to buy that, and that was like his treat. Once in a while he'd have that. And because even that's better than the stuff they the corn syrup, those that love soda will say. Pad from Georgia, says Benny from the block, and Daddy g He says, Applebee's and ihop are going to be introducing AI in restaurants. Are you guys okay with this? That's from Pat in Georgia. So I looked this up, Danny, and it's not it's not like new meaning McDonald's has been doing this. Pizza Hut, taco bell like, it's pretty common. So the headline on this pad is rather shocking. But as I understand it, Danny, what they're going to be doing is they're using AI. You know, and you know how we talked about this a few months ago. When people order food from kiosks at restaurants, they order more food. And part of that is because they're not they're not interacting with a human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nobody's judging you.
Speaker 1: But another part of that is the the the kiosk will encourage them. They will encourage they'll throw different items out think, you know, kind of it's an AI generated program. They think based on what you appear, how what kind of foods you're gonna buy based on what you order. Now, the spoiler alert on this is the reason that Applebee's and ihop are doing this, the same reason McDonald's and as we mentioned, Pizza and tacabell are doing it, is because it's essentially to increase it's a tool for up selling. That's the part of AI that they're using. The unsuspecting customer they think, wow, this is great. They're helping us out. Like they're going to send out coupons to Applebe's and I hop. But they know, based on their research that if even if you use the coupon a you're going to come back to the store or so, that's great, they got you back. You're gonna it's becoming a habit and be the second part of that is even if you use the coupon, they're still gonna make money because you're gonna buy other things other than the coupon. So there's that, and I think I think we're good on that, Danny. Anything else you would like to promote here, anything at all? It's a Sunday Well, I'll be back tonight in the Cairds Seed after Game seven, Pacers and Thunder will have a blow by blow recap the good, the bad, and the ugly, and of course the better story being in the losing locker room. However, when teams win championships, we generally start with a team that won. But we will see how this goes tonight. Hopefully it's just close. I just want the game to be close.
Speaker 3: I want to do I do too, And I'm still deciding whether or not I should put a little bit of scratch down on the Pacers before I leave town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tempting point spread. It's a tempting spread. The issue how many times in our life, Danny have we seen in a that game team falls behind early by fifteen points and they just give up. That's it, it's done. They get run off of them.
Speaker 3: So I know, damn, I guess I gotta flip a coin. It's a problem.
Speaker 1: All right. We'll have a great rest of your Sunday, Danny, safe travels back to La La Land, and we'll do it all again next weekend. And thank you for listening and all weekend and all that great stuff. We do appreciate it, and we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 4: Austa Pasta got a murder. I gotta go.