Speaker 1: It is Thursday, May sixteenth.
Speaker 2: This is check.
Speaker 3: War's happy Hour.
Speaker 4: And now a guy who wears memory Foemen sols just so he can remember why he walked into the room.
Speaker 5: J P.
Speaker 1: Chadrack and welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour on this Thursday, May sixteenth. JP Shadwick with you. Busy hour coming up. The schedule has been announced. Yes, it's out there now, so we'll talk about it coming up. All seventeen games over eighteen weeks. Phase two, the off season program is winding down. In fact, it ended today. Players off tomorrow and then Phase three begins on Monday. We'll discuss some of that coming up. PFF analysts Max Chadwick will break down the Jaguars draft class college football analyst for Pro Football Focus. We'll keep it real as always, and the Microsoft questions coming a little bit earlier today because John Oser is in with us today and good afternoon.
Speaker 6: Did Joe record that intro and leave it for when he went on vacation.
Speaker 1: You're not supposed to tell everybody how the sausage is made, John.
Speaker 6: Well, because that's that's like when your mom would leave and leave you some lasagnia in your own vacation.
Speaker 1: So Joe's if we warmed it up in the microwave.
Speaker 6: Joe's an Italian shit. Go Okay, that's great. That's great for Jeff.
Speaker 1: Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by Ancient City Brewing Taste History, Make History, and it's their debut as our sponsor for this Jaguars Happy Hour and good people down there. I'll tell you what you know. The brew house I haven't been to yet. It's at the outlet exit in Saint Augustine, right just south of Highway sixteen west of ninety five. There is a downtown tap room.
Speaker 6: I haven't been to either of them, but I was at a place, yeah, about seven or eight years ago.
Speaker 3: Was at their old brewery. If you like craft beer, they're really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And yeah, the one downtown, the little tap room is right by the Cathedra, right by the old town, right in the middle of all.
Speaker 3: That stuff down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been to that, which is cool.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: The Anastagia Island style ip A, we're gonna need like a case from our new sponsor would be great.
Speaker 3: It's all that's a good story.
Speaker 1: We've got a long schedule of shows that it Monday. Right, We're on ten to next lam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube JP Shadwick, that's John Osher, Jeff Logman out this week. I'll be back with us next week. Lots to get to, of course, the community huddles have begun with the stadium negotiations going on. We'll get to the schedule of those coming up in just a little bit. But the schedule has been announced by the NFL. That was officially eight o'clock last night, and we went through it on our schedule release program on Jaguars YouTube. But if you weren't able to join it, we can kind of recreate things right here, John, you and I we'll go through.
Speaker 3: Let's start the sausages, mate, That is exactly how it's made.
Speaker 1: We'll start off with the early part of the schedule and weeks one through five the Jaguars at the Dolphins. Week one to start things off at one o'clock, Week two home against the Browns, Week three Monday Night football against the Bills on the road, and then week four at the Texans, Week five at home against the Colts. And I'll tell you what for starting stretches as far as they're concerned in the NFL. This is right there. It's got to be close to one of the most difficult in the league, with three of those first four on the road, and all the first four playoff teams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you knew that it was going to be a on paper, tough schedule because of the way the AFC South ended last year.
Speaker 3: Meaning you know, two.
Speaker 6: Years ago the Jaguars finished first and I'm not sure anybody else in the division was above five hundred, So you were going to play all your division games were going to be against teams below five hundred. This year, two of them were above. So it was going to add on. Ten of seventeen teams have winning records last year, so five of them happened to be in that first four or you know, JP. Sometimes I get criticized by fans, that's.
Speaker 3: Why you hard for you to believe.
Speaker 6: But some people wrote to me today, you know, I read your analysis. So it's really negative, you know, really negative about the schedule. It's not negative. I just think the first five games, no matter how thin you slice it, they're tough. And you've got four division or not four division teams, but four playoff teams in your first four weeks and three of those are on the road. That doesn't mean you can't win them. It means that when you're trying to analyze the schedule, that sticks out, and you know, every one of these teams on the first five their fans, their team correctly believes they're.
Speaker 3: Going to the playoffs.
Speaker 6: You know, some of the ones later in the season. It would take a little bit of some serious improvement those five teams early in the season. You know me, JP, You've had to read my analysis for ten years now. Teams that think they're in it and believe are by nature tough. Every one of these teams thinks they're good. Every one of these teams has reason to think they're good. Going to Miami, they're fast.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're the fastest team in football.
Speaker 6: You come back against almost I'm not saying the Browns aren't fast, but they play different. The Browns want to beat you up. The Bills have a quarterback that can beat you up by himself. And then the Texans is a red letter circle of game.
Speaker 1: So it's we're gonna find out about this new defense pretty quick. Well, I mean, especially against the Dolphins. How do they cover Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle and Tua throwing it up and all these things, and that's a right out of the gate. Ryan Nielsen's defense will be put to the test.
Speaker 6: You know, I've sort of shifted my belief a little bit when analyzing defenses for this reason. I kind of believe it out of out of thirty two teams these days, twenty seven or twenty eight of them have receivers that are dangerous can beat you. It's how the league's played. And if you fall asleep against any team these days, they're gonna be able to beat you in the passing game.
Speaker 3: But the Dolphins can really beat you in the passing game.
Speaker 6: They're they're one of the top two or three teams now. Everybody knows their breakdown last year was really good against teams that didn't make the playoffs, struggled against not I was asked, Today's it's a bell Weather game. You know, it's hard to know. You don't know how season's going to play out, but you know the Dolphins are not unbeatable, but you better cover them and you better get to the quarterback. So it's tough. I mean, it's it's a schedule where if you're pretty good, I think Jags are pretty good. They'll manage it if you're starting out slow.
Speaker 3: Oops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a good a good place to be. That moves us on to the next portion of the schedule, and the Jaguars make the trip over to London in Week six for the road game at Tottenham Hotspurs Stadium to face the Chicago Bears. The next week across town at Wimbley Stadium for the home game against the New England Patriots. Let's just start with the London games back to back years now two straight games. They won the two games there last year against the Falcons and the Bills. This year, the game locations are reversed. It is games two and three of the three game London stretch for the NFL, so the second Spurs game and of course the Wimbley game. The Jaguars do not have to change accommodations this year. They get to stay all what ten eleven days, are going to be there in the same place, so that helps logistically. But here you go, the Jaguars are playing most likely two rookie quarterbacks in London. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, on paper, there's nothing as formidable.
Speaker 3: In London as the Bills were last year.
Speaker 6: The Bills were in AFC East champion defending and looked like one of the best three or four teams in football. It was one of those. There were four or five games last year the measuring six. There's one up.
Speaker 3: Let's take the.
Speaker 6: Two specific teams, rookie quarterbacks all that. When you play in London the way the Jaguars do, no matter who you play. They're the only team in the NFL has ever done it back to back. They did it last year. So what twenty five guys and most of the coaching staff has done it.
Speaker 3: They know the rhythm of it.
Speaker 6: There's not many advantages in the NFL that should be an advantage no matter who you're playing. So the way the schedules set up, get to three and two, two and three, I think I think the first four tough, and me the first five are tough. People are gonna look at this two game stretch as one where you ought to get healthy. I think, no matter who they were playing, you look at it that way. But in this case, rookie quarterback four and thirteen team of the Patriots, they'll be favored to win that game. The Bears Kayler Williams dand they'll be favored to win that game. So but guess what about that JP doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter, you'll play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wills were favored to win that game last.
Speaker 1: Year, they did, they didn't. It didn't happen. So the Jaguars come back state side in week eight. The bye week's a little later again this year, but they're back home week eight right after London to host the Green Bay Packers, and that is a one o'clock kick, and then at the Eagles for Sunday Night Football at eight twenty pm in week nine. Then it's onto week ten, back home again, the Minnesota Vikings come to town. Then the Jaguars are at the Lions in week eleven, the bye week in week twelve, and just that four game stretch there alone, Packers, Eagles, Vikings, Lions has the possibility of being almost as difficult as the first five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and on paper, first thought is on paper the quote break game we the Vikings. He went seven to ten, But in the last ten years, that's the worst record the Vikings had. The Vikings to me are one of those teams that as soon as you sit there in August and think that they're eh, all of a sudden they're nine and six. They started off horribly last year and got hot late. They're not a team that's very bad for very long. So the Packers, the Packers feel.
Speaker 3: To me like a team.
Speaker 6: People are looking at the schedule right now and thinking, well, the Packers are okay, But you know, they look like a team the way they peaked at the end of last year that they could be a flexing time. I mean, they could challenge Detroit, and then you got Detroit. So a couple of things with this. You you saw the I think you saw the Eagles two years ago. Haven't seen any of these other teams since COVID on the field. I think I saw the Lions in pre season, But who knows how that's an advantage not having played not you know, you can't really say it's advantage for either team, but it's a factor in that it's it's high level preparation for all those four There's nothing really, there's nothing really to refer to going in so it's gonna be a long month.
Speaker 1: Last time I seen the Lions was the playoff your two years ago, and they blasted the Jags in the December up there, and then the run started after that. But even then that's two years ago, so.
Speaker 6: That was the fourth and a fourth place team against each other.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 6: The Eagles that year were in the East. This is more of a they're playing the Eagles. Could both teams were second last.
Speaker 1: Year, that's right.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it changes so much year to year that if you played a team two years ago, there's not that much to draw from. But right, you know, I don't think the Eagles think they're gonna stink, and.
Speaker 1: I the PAS defense certainly is not going to ste.
Speaker 6: The Packers feel like they're really good. So again, this could be all NFL schedules are hard. They are when you look at them. If if the Jaguars are good, they'll navigate this schedule. If they're struggling in any way, it'll bring out the worst in them.
Speaker 1: And that's with pretty much any schedule in the NFL. We're on ten to x LAM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube JP, Shadwick, John Osier, and it's Jaguar Happy Hour, brought to you by Ancient City Brewing. We continue with the schedule released last night after the bye week home against the Texans Week thirteen at the Titans, Week fourteen, then Week fifteen at home against the Jets. Week sixteen, the week before Christmas, weekend before Christmas in Las Vegas against the Raiders. Week seventeen home against the Titans, Week eighteen at the Colts for a date and time to be determined Saturday or Sunday in Week eighteen. That always that flexible time depending on playoff implications. But four of the last six games of the season are in the division, All six are in the AFC, and they are alternating homean road, which is the case throughout the season. The Jaguars do not have back to back weeks of games in Jacksonville this year, and this is the stretch run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: If you navigate the first we eleven and are within a couple of games of the division, and if you're a team that peaks late, you're in good shape.
Speaker 3: You know, you can really every ready back in.
Speaker 6: It shapes up much like two years ago did when they were three or four games down and got hot and were able to play the Titans. Twice they were what down four to the Titans. Titans hit a rough patch eggo excepting twice all of a sudden they were tied. You know, they were down four in like week eleven and tied in seventeen, So you can make it up quick if you wind up being better than your opponents at that time of year. On the concern I've said many many times this is they're older guys on this team. Will they stay healthy and peak late? That's going to be a challenge. I'm not saying it can't be done, but to me, it's a storyline to watch injuries on this team with older players. How much they peak late in the season. That is not a given with the makeup of the roster, but it's very possible to do it.
Speaker 1: We'll find out. And I know Doug Peterson likes that later bye week, and they got it in week twelve to maybe kind of regroup for a run length that. But your point's good, John, I mean, they had some veteran guys anyway, they added some more in free agency, and it's a long season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and all of this, yeah, bear in mind they always is very specutlive one of the great truths. And I wrote it again this for tomorrow's ozone. This is going to be a topic for the next three or four months, and it should be. It's the schedule. There will be charts. I'm sure there already are strength of schedule. I think I may say that Yiverys had the sixteenth toughest schedule. Well okay, based on last year. Yeah, but in the NFL these days especially, you really don't know who's great and who's not until about week five or six. By November of last year, remember that tight I mean that Texans game was Battle Royale like it it was everything nobody thought on September first, the Texans Jaguars in Houston was gonna be one of the biggest games of the year.
Speaker 3: So Barret keep that in mind. The Jets.
Speaker 6: If Rogers is on the field all year, maybe that Jets game has circle the wagon. I mean, if he's forty years old limping through the season, that Jets game could be like it was two years ago. So the dynamics of this changed so much on paper, it's very very difficult.
Speaker 1: We'll see, will see, and the schedule is finally here, of course, and you don't want to miss these matchups. We just talked about what do you want to become a season ticket member, catch three or more games with bundle at the bank, or experienced the season with the prow pass. Well, there's a plan for every fan. Get locked in at Jaguars dot com, slash ticket or called nine oh four six three three two thousand. John. We've lifted some Microsoft questions from your ozone. We'll get to those when we come back. We're both gonna be here for a little bit. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by Ancient City Brewing. Taste History, Make History. Welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by Ancient City Brewing. Premiere Soccer, Premier Venue, Premier League Soccer comes to EverBank Stadium July twenty seventh, when Wolverhampton Wanderers FC and west Ham United FC compete for the State Side Cup. Tickets on sale now visit Everbankstadium dot com. You have had soccer in the stadium in a few years. I think it's been a time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't remember the last time.
Speaker 1: It was. Oh gosh, it had to be thirteen fourteen times. Formless here in like a friendly and the UST I know played here in one of the gear ups for one of the things, and then I think the women's team played here at one point played Scotland.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, it's been a little bit.
Speaker 6: There's been a few, and you know, if, if not even if when the stadium gets approved of interesting to see what the events on those lines also get because it'll it'll be uh, it'll be.
Speaker 1: Cool, it'll be primed and ready for other events. I think that's part of the idea for sure. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by Ancient City Brewing, Taste History, Make History. We're on ten to XLAM Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, JP Shadwick and John Oser. Max Chadwick of Pro Football Focus will break down the draft picks in about ten to fifteen minutes or so. We talked a little bit earlier today. Time now for the social Questions presented by Microsoft. We put the cat signal out on Twitter for x today. We didn't get any responses.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the heck's scorer is watching the PGA.
Speaker 1: The PGA champ Chips on a Thursday. Tiger played this morning. It might be one over. It's not great leaders at nine, so he better make a little run tomorrow. And it's not ideal to make it to the weekend. Here are some questions that we lifted off the ozone make Back so we're just a straight thievery of this. This is Michael from Orange Park. I'll be honest to your zone. The NFL clearly has it out for the Jaguars and always has. The schedule is brutal. I just don't see us getting to five hundred.
Speaker 6: Well, look, the schedule makers are never out to get anybody. You have thirty two teams, thirty two fan bases who are convinced, just like in the in the fall, they're convinced the officiating is out to get them.
Speaker 3: In this on in May.
Speaker 6: They're convinced the officials, I mean, the schedule makers are out to get them. They have thirty two teams trying to get seventeen games in place, somewhat actively, somewhat fairly. The games themselves for people. I think most people probably know this, but the opponents are set by a formula that can't be.
Speaker 3: Maneuvered.
Speaker 6: The sites are also set that way. So when we talk about a tough schedule, they were gonna play those first five teams somewhere along the lines. It's just when analyzing, you say, well, the first part of the season's tough. Those five games were gonna be tough Somewhere along the lines. So the league's not out to get them. They didn't. They didn't give them a Thanksgiving game. They weren't out to get them on that. I think the Thanksgiving thing, which I got a lot of emails about today, Look, the Jaguars fans and observers thought, well, they're gonna put them on Thanksgiving because they've never been there. I think that was the storyline for Jaguars fans and observers. I don't know that the schedule makers were sitting in New York saying, well, we've got to get at the Jags on Yeah. No, they played four their national TV games this year, or nine and eight last year. That's a that's a nine to eight team in a small market. That's a reasonable number, if you look at it objectively, a reasonable number of national television slots.
Speaker 3: Maybe one more.
Speaker 6: But you know what I'm saying, I don't think they were trying to keep them off Thanksgiving. They weren't out to get them.
Speaker 1: And this is a safe play on Thanksgiving. I mean, it's the it's the Bears and the Lions. Just the most played Thanksgiving game.
Speaker 3: There is justin field. It is no, no, no, it's the new kid I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, either way, that's that makes sense to.
Speaker 3: Me, right, So yeah, it yeah, it's it's I.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't worry about the They're not out to get a team.
Speaker 6: What's the line about paranoia? It's ah, just because you're paranoid, didn't mean they had to get or something like that.
Speaker 1: If you want a tough schedule, look at the Pittsburgh Steelers. Six of their last eight games are division games.
Speaker 3: Now, the other two tough to right.
Speaker 1: The other two are the Eagles and the Chiefs. Right, that's the last eight games of their season.
Speaker 6: And again, there is a human element of this. Somebody has to pick it once it's done. But they're randomly pushing this through a computer with caveats of this team wants to not play on these two weekends because of say Florida, Georgia, because of whatever's going on in their city. So they've got to force a lot of things into this and try to make it as equitable and fair as possible, trying to please thirty two teams, and we all know that's not possible.
Speaker 1: And not to mention the Steelers play on that Saturday before Christmas and Christmas Day as well.
Speaker 3: That better than than us absolutely.
Speaker 1: Anita from Springfield. With a relationship between head coach Doug Peterson and Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, do you see us holding joint practices with the Chiefs and do you feel those are truly beneficial and would working with a championship team be different than others?
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's possible. They're the first week.
Speaker 6: I think, generally speaking, the only exceptions to it. You're speaking and coaches prefer to get that duel on that second week just because you they like some time early to work on themselves, get things going. Late, they sort of like to wind it down a little bit. And that's obviously there's many exceptions to that, but that's the general gist.
Speaker 3: It makes sense.
Speaker 6: Andy and Dougs certainly, I wouldn't be surprised if they practiced against each other. Is it different against the Chiefs?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Mahomes is there, Yes, So.
Speaker 6: That makes it tougher, makes it a better test than anybody else because of Patrick Mahomes working against the championship team.
Speaker 3: It doesn't hurt.
Speaker 6: You know, the Jaguars went to the AFC Championship game the year that they worked against the Patriots. I'd probably be stretching it to say that that was why.
Speaker 1: Right, But I think you get a better look at how a championship organization goes about their business on a day to day basis. And I think for that team back in twenty seventeen, they certainly kind of needed that. You know, you had no doubt a younger team, you had, you know, all that going on. Right.
Speaker 3: So now my guess too with Andy and Doug.
Speaker 6: Realistically, if the Jaguars, if the Chiefs are walking around here for a week, they're probably not going to see things done a whole lot differently on the other side because Doug, and you know, Doug does a lot of things I'm sure the same way.
Speaker 1: Dougs won his own Super Bowl, right, you know, so to do it.
Speaker 6: But and the answer to the question how much does it help doesn't hurt? I think you can probably you know, you want to make sure you have X number of your own practices because there's stuff they're trying to get done, stuff they're trying to install. There's so little time to work in pads where you can work on yourself that that's why they don't do all of them that way.
Speaker 3: But having two which is what.
Speaker 6: One week equates to two padded practicingst another team.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 6: Last year against Detroit, for example, I think one of them was very spirited, the other one was.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: Two's probably enough if it was. If it was four, that's fine.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the second preseason week that the Buccaneers might be the dual practice. We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 3: That's what you sort of hear, makes sense, so we'll see. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Now the trick would be too if they go to eighteen regular season games and two preseason games, would they add another? Could you in theory, hey, let's just do more practices against other teams in lieu of a game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 6: My guess is coaches would probably try to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because.
Speaker 6: I hate covering preseason games. But I think I think most football people, evaluators would like it's to at least stay at three. But I don't think it's going.
Speaker 1: To yeah, because I mean, it is real football. At some point, you gotta go play against another team with live, live action.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so at some point it is or you don't. I don't know, depending on what the rule is. We'll see what they come up with.
Speaker 3: Money will dictate that.
Speaker 1: Certainly will final question of the day for John Ozier. Jason from Jacksonville. Do you think it might take some time for the offense to click this year? While a lot of players are entering year three in the system, two of the top three wideouts are new. Gave Davis will be out for a chunk of the off season. Do you expect it to take a few months for Davis and the rookie to get chemistry with Lawrence?
Speaker 3: It would it take a few months? Yeah, yeah, that's twelve.
Speaker 1: He was talking about the schedule.
Speaker 6: And uh yeah, realistically they should be better week eight together than they are week one because they're going to have a time on task, game action. I think it will be imperative on Christian Kirk and Evan Ingram to be the go to.
Speaker 3: Guys, the bailout guys.
Speaker 6: I think as long as those two are healthy, Yeah, it'll take some time to get on same page as Davis, but he's also a big play deep guy. If you have Christian, Evan and ETN there is sort of your bailouts, your super trust guy. I think it's gonna take some time for Brian Thomas to be that, but I don't think that's what he's being brought in for. Bucky's on our Huddle of podcast, talked about it a lot. The belief is that Christian and Evan are your best receivers and they are the engine of your offense.
Speaker 1: You saw when Christian was out last year.
Speaker 6: Right, So those are the chemistry is a huge deal on third and eight, when you're calling a play and you're under a blitz and you've got to know exactly where a guy is and he's your bailout, that's really important. Is chemistry quite as important for the deep guy who's trying to stretch the field. It's important, But I think as long as you have it with the other guys, I think he'll be okay on this front.
Speaker 1: I'd forgotten that Gabe Davis scored a touchdown against the Jags last year in London on the in front of Campbell. Was a pass interference call and it got called back offensive pass interference. They threw it again. It was api left side.
Speaker 3: Where I was watching, left side, your close corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jason Campbell got a p I on the play and yeah yeah got it back within one score. Uh.
Speaker 6: Gabe Davis to me is a guy. Look I know questions about chemistry. Gabe Davis and Brian Thomas to me are guys who sometimes even with Ridley a little bit last year, I thought this was the case. It can affect the game without always getting the ball. And Gabe Davis, you have to respect him if you're if you're playing defense, you have to account for that or he's going to beat you. Probably the same thing with Brian Thomas. Uh with a fifth receiver on the roster, maybe the defense doesn't have to account for it as much and they're not going to get you beat. The stat will be the same one catch for eight yards, but the impact on the game because he's Gabe Davis and they know about him, because he's Brian Thomas and they know about him, I think will be much more so just a thought.
Speaker 1: John Oser, Jaguars dot Com senior writer. Great to see you. Thanks for coming in today.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that that's all yesterday. It's great to see you again.
Speaker 1: It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed. I appreciate it, JP, John Oser with us.
Speaker 1: We'll return with Max Chadwick of Pro Football Focus going through the Jaguars draft class. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by Ancient City Brewing, Taste History, Make History.
Speaker 7: I feel like I'm definitely gonna be ready, man, And just being able to contribute to the team, you.
Speaker 5: Know, getting on the older guys and be as smile as.
Speaker 7: To be able to soak everything that big onna brank to the table for me and you know, just add my own up to it, my own gent on it. But you know, able to say say contructive criticism. Man, is being able to forgree It's.
Speaker 1: Bason Smith, defensive tackle out of LSU, rookie second round draft pick forty eighth overall. Welcome back a Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by Ancient City Brewing, Taste History, Make History, and we'll see what kind of history Mason Smith has in his future. Coming up in a little bit.
Speaker 2: J P.
Speaker 1: Shadrick with you on the Jaguars Happy Hour on tittonexlam, Jaguars dot com, Jaguars YouTube or thanks to John ojerj wanting us in the first half hour tonight going through the schedule and some Microsoft questions this evening. Jaguars in the city of Jacksonville presented the stadium agreement to the city council Tuesday, afternoon. More on the deal available at Jacksonville dot gov. There's also a series of community huddles around town coming up for citizens to go show support or ask questions of the leaders involved. There was one last night don at Mandarin very well attended, I was told, and there's another one tonight at Legend Center on Sotel Road on the North Side. May twentieth, Fletcher High School in Neptune Beach, May twenty ninth, Sandalwood High School. May thirtieth, west Side High School on Firestone Road. No RSVPs are required, and all of the huddles are from six thirty to eight pm, including tonight. Also, the Jaguars had a few signings this afternoon. A couple of veteran defensive backs, Terrell Edmunds and Trey Flowers, have been signed. Edmunds has spent a number of years in the NFL at five seasons, actually seven seasons in the NFL, and Edmunds sixty one two and fifteen pounds out of Virginia Tech, a first round pick of the Steelers back in twenty eighteen, the twenty eighth overall selection that year, and spent five years with the Black and Gold and had five interceptions with the Steelers in his time there. Last year, time with the Titans and the Eagles. So a safety by trade and now part of this Jaguars defensive backfield, at least on the depth chart. We'll see what happens next week is actually the start of organized team activities and they'll be their debut with the Jaguars and the practice field trade. Flowers a fifth round pick of the Seahawks back in twenty eighteen same draft, and the Flowers with a few seasons in Seattle eighteen nineteen and twenty Seattle and Cincinnati in twenty one, Cincinnati in twenty two, the Falcons last season, so Flowers winning the Jaguars as well. And linebacker Ty Summers also signed today, and the name is slightly familiar. He played with the Jaguars for three games in twenty twenty two, was part of the squad that year and then was jumped up a few times to get a little action. But started his career in twenty nineteen in Green Bay. Three seasons of the Packers and of course that little time with the Jaguars, the end of the season with New Orleans, and then last season all year in New Orleans. As well, mainly special teams contributor to squad type, so up and down, we'll see what he has to offer.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Those are the signings this afternoon for the Jacksonville Jaguars, and they joined the rookie classes out on the field at least in Phase two with the veterans, and that Phase two end of today of the offseason program, they'll be with them, of course, starting Monday, Phase three, the organized team activities portion of the offseason starts, and we break down this rookie class with Max Chadwick of Pro Football Focus College Football Analysts. He's the co host of the PFF College Football Show as well, and I asked him earlier today what stood out the most about Jaguars first round pick wide receiver Brian Thomas Junior.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's one of the best vertical threats in this class. Honestly, he had the highest deep receiving grade in the country this year, ninety nine point nine grade. Hard to get too much better than that on a scale of one to one hundred. Obviously, he had twelve touchdowns on deep rows as well twenty plus yards throws that also led the country get the most catches on deep Rosi Tho was receiving yards deep rows. He is a vertical threat, and I think that's exactly what the Jacksonville Jaguars needed on offense was to get a vertical threat on offense with Trevor Lawrence there, who for better or for worse, loves to attack down the field, So they need a receiver that can stretch the field vertically and I think Brian Thomas Junior can do exactly that.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of what.
Speaker 4: They were missing in that offense in my opinion, And that's exactly the kind of player at Brian Thomas Junior is, So I'm really excited to see the fit with him and Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: I think those two are going to work really well together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And obviously Thomas last year and bad and ruers put up the most touchdowns in all of FBS and in an offense that has some weapons. Over the years, they've produced some wide receivers out of that place, and if you have that vertical speed, then the rest of it can come at some point. I think that's the idea for the Jaguars coaching staff, is to maybe develop some more things in his game as that goes along. But when you start with the speed in this marts, that's a good start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a really good start, honestly. And only the size too. He's a bigger receiver as well, got great speed, run like a four to three in the in the forty yard dash, and yeah, like I said, I mean he was in that offense with Jayden Daniels who was also a great running threat, so it wasn't like Jaye Nails is passing every time. And also the best receiver in college football this past year in Malik Neighbors, and yet Brian Thomas Junior still had the most receiving touchdowns as well. So even though he was the number two receiver on an LSU team, he still was extremely productive and still was one of the most productive receivers in college football even as the number two receiver. So that's why he ended up being a first round pick as well. So he's got great size, great speed, and an excellent production this past season as well.
Speaker 2: I really do. I'm a big fan of that pick for Jacksonville at number twenty three.
Speaker 1: Overall, that tells you how difficult the final year of the SEC West was as well. If they're losing a handful of games with that kind of offense. That's right week to week in the SEC. Good luck staying in Baton rugs. The Jaguars in the second round. Go to the defensive line and get tackle Mason Smith. All right, what stands out about him besides his impressive size and you know he's a guy that can jump in that road, I think right away, yeah, he is.
Speaker 4: Listen, Trent Balkey has a type, right, and it's why you saw Trayvon Walker go number one overall when a lot of people, including myself, thought Aiden Hutchinson probably should have been the number one overall pick. He clearly values the potential of a player more than what he is right now. And I think that's exactly the way to describe Mason Smith, who is a like you said, size speed freak.
Speaker 2: He has it. He got hurt last.
Speaker 4: Year, so we missed basically all the season besides like a few snaps, he got hurt in the season opener. This past season, he was solid, but I wouldn't say he was a top fifty caliber player. Like for me, I probably would have spent more of maybe a Day three pick on him, like a fourth round pick. So getting him in the second round I think is a little bit of a reach, but obviously Trent Balky is a type. Like I said with Treyvon Walker there, they obviously value athleticis me saw Brian Thomas Junior be the first round pick who is kind of a lot of potential as well. Bason Smith has a lot of projection, but he obviously has a high ceiling with how good his traits are. It's just that we haven't seen the perduction to match those traits just yet for a number of reasons, you know, with the injuries and just he hasn't really developed too much LSU either. So he's definitely a developmental project for Jacksonville, and I don't love taking a project like that at number forty eight overall, but there's no denying he has a high ceiling and I think he could be a big time contributor for Jacksonville if he develops like hopefully Trayvon Walker.
Speaker 1: Will two And they've got, you know, some some veteran players on the interior that they are expecting to play a lot of time there. Obviously, Eric Armstead brought in and free agency this offseason. Roy Robertson Harris a guy who has been around now for a few years in Jacksonville, so that could give him a little bit of time to develop. Moving on to round number three, Max Chadwick with us from Pro Football Focus Jarion Jones, the cornerback from Florida State. And you know, this is a defense that has a new coordinator and they've got some changes in the secondary. A couple of veteran players are out, you know, so they've had to make some changes here. They did it in free agency, they brought in a couple of veteran players. But then they go to the draft and tell us about Jones, what where can he play? Right away?
Speaker 2: I think he's more of a slot defender.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't think he's got the long speech for truly being outside corner, but he's got the quickness to excel in the slot. And he's also a really really good tackler, really good run defender as well, which again translates more to being a slot corner than an outside corner. He had a ninety point one grade this past year, is fifth best among all corners in the country, only zero touchdowns allowed to on four undred and fifty eight covered snaps since twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: So I like Darian Jones a lot.
Speaker 4: I thought Florida State's defense was extremely underrated last year, especially their secondary. I thought they one of the best secondaries in the country between Ronardo Green and Jarian Jones and Central Ciphers who's going back to school as well. I really like Jarian Jones a lot, but I think he's I wouldn't expect him to be an outside corner for Jacksonville. I think he's probably more of a nickel corner in the NFL.
Speaker 1: And then moving on to the fourth round, Jaguars had a couple of picks in the fourth Javon Foster tackle out of Missouri, Jordan Jefferson defensive tackle out of LSU, more of a nose tackle type. But let's start with Foster. The Jaguars at the tackle position have Cam Robinson, who's going into a contract year, who is on a big money contract, Walker Little, who is the swing tackle who is the second round pick a few years ago and hasn't been able to crack the lineup consistently, and then Anton Harrison, of course a first round draft pick last year. So where does Foster fit into the equation and what can he bring when he's out there.
Speaker 4: I think Javon Foster is more likely a swing tackle right now. I don't expect him to be in the starting lineup right now. I will say, though, I thought this guy was one of the most underrated prospects in the NFL draft, and I'm a big fan of Jacksonville Jaguar selecting him in the fourth round. Like you said, it is a kind of a crowded tackle room that they have right now. But there's not denying Javon Foster in the SEC over the last three years has been extremely productive as Missouri's starting left tackle. In fact, get eighty grades in every single year of the last three seasons when he's been a starter, so he has really really been an impressive player. You know, there's eleven Power five tackles since twenty twenty one that's had eighty plus greeds both as a passbuocker and as a run blocker. Javon Foster is one of them, and the other here's seven other of them. Javon Foster, Joe Alt, Talisa Flogo, Charles Cross, Peters, Keronski, Evan Neil Dewan Jones.
Speaker 2: I mean, those are all starting.
Speaker 4: NFL offensive lineman right now and a lot of them were first round picks as well. So Javon Foster's not an elite athlete, doesn't have great ben doesn't have great flexibility. But I do think he's been a really productive player. And I think down the line, if you're telling me this guy's a starting tackle down the line in the NFL, I wouldn't be too shocked, honestly. So I was a huge fan of Javon Foster coming out. I even probably would have taken him, maybe even the third round of the draft. So Jackson getting him in the fourth round that was a really good steal. And yeah, I'm a huge fan of his game, and we'll see how he could do in the NFL. But if he's anything like he was in college, he could be a very very productive player.
Speaker 1: And consistently available as well. He was out there a lot, played a lot of consecutive games at Missouri. George Jefferson, big body, nose tackle, and I loved his interview. It was on the porch after the draft. He was on his front porch. He had like a shirtless shirt T shirt or sleepless T shirt on, wrap around sunglasses. He was just kind of like that, that gritty nose tackle type and you need those guys on your D line.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think it's the first time I think I saw stats the first time ever that one school took three players from the same one team, excuse me, took three players from the same school at georg Jefferson was the third LS Tiger that Trent Balky and the Jacksonville dag were selected. Here a lot like Mason Smith in some ways where he's kind of still a raw player that needs to develop a little bit. But there's note denying he's got great tools. I mean he tested as a well above average athlete. He had thirty four bench press reps, which were in the ninety fourth percent tile for defensive tackles even with longer arms too.
Speaker 2: Usually when you have.
Speaker 4: A lot of bench press reps as a guy with shorter arms, because obviously it's easier to get it up we have shorter arms, when you have long arms like Jefferson, it's harder to put up that many reps. And yet he's that just shows how strong of a player he is. He's able to stack and shed blockers in the run game really well. He holds up really well against double teams, good burst off the ball, even though he's not covering a lot of ground. I think he's a solid athlete overall. Now the problem with him is he's just not much of a pass rusher right now. He has a sixty one grade in pass rushing over this past season.
Speaker 2: He's kind of still developing technically.
Speaker 4: But I think as a run defender, he's a very strong player, will hold up against double teams, cause stack and shed blockers. He's got a good burst as well. He's a good athlete, just gotta get some refinement I think in his game, especially as a pass rusher. For it could be a full time starter for a team. But if you're asking him just to be a guy who could eat up double teams and stack and shed in the run game on first and second down, that's something I think you could do pretty quickly. So that's probably what Jacksonville has in mind for him right now, and I think that's something he's he should be able to do pretty quickly in his rookie year.
Speaker 1: Max Chadwick, pro football focused analyst and the co host of the PFF College Football Show, joining us all Right, well group the last four draft picks in kind of the same window. Here Deandrey Prince from Ole Miss the corner back in the fifth round, Keeland Robinson, Texas running back and kick returner in the fifth round, Cam Little, the twenty year old kicker at Arkansas on the sixth round, and Miles Cole defensive end Texas Tech. Obviously, these a lot of times will be special teams contributors and maybe developed a lot of times fighting to make the roster in the later rounds, especially in the seventh round. Cam Little should be here as the kicker. Robinson might have a chance as a kick returner, but of those you know three position players will leave the kicker out of it. Who could make the most impact early? Who has the better chance to make this team?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 4: I think it's kind of a cop out answer, considering he was the highest drafted of all of them. I think Theatre Prince is an interesting guy. I mean, he has seventy plus grades and all three years the starter at Ole Miss. He's really good in his own covers, really really good run defender as well. He ran a four to three eight forty yards. The problem with him and why he went a little bit lower in the draft. You know you hear all those stats, and like, well, how did this guy add up falling in the fifth round. He's only one hundred eighty four pounds at six feet tall, and he's a guy that really loves to play in press coverage. That's just not really something that could happen in the NFL if you're only one hundred eighty four pounds, like you could get bodied by bigger receivers in the NFL.
Speaker 2: At that size.
Speaker 4: So he's got to get stronger if he wants to become more of a press corner. But even at one hundred eighty four pounds, like I said, I mean, he was holding up one press coverage and he was a great run defender too. Usually those smaller corners like that, that's where you see them get get tossed around a little bit in the run game, and then in press coverage. DeAndre Prince plays bigger than what he's listed at honestly. So I think he could be a really good special team contributor for them, And I think he could be a guy that needs to add just some strength, but he could be a good press corner in the league. So I, like I said, special team is probably going to be a guy that's going to be used early on in his career, but if he adds some weight and add some strength, he could contribute more as a defensive player, maybe as a rotational defensive back for Jacksonville. Don't know if we'll ever be a full time starter for them, but I think as a rotational guy, he could be a guy in that rotation for sure. So I like Deatrick Prince a lot, and I think he's an interesting guy in that secondary. Again, I won't expect him to take too much of an impact on the defense immediately, but as a special teams player, I think he definitely there's definitely a role for him on that special teams because of his mentality. Honestly, I think his mentality in the run game is mentality and press coverage. That's something that could really translate well to special teams because really special teams is all about mentality a mostly, So you got to go out there and give it your all on every play, and I think Deadrick Prince will probably be able to do that for Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Max Chadwick pro Football Focus analysts and the co host of the PFF College Football Show. The full conversation available at Jaguars Dot Com and the Jaguars YouTube channel. We'll return with a preview of organized team activities they start Monday, and a Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by Ancient City Brewing Tastes History, Make History.
Speaker 5: Like I said, I could go for this off season, get stronger, get healthier, do the things I needed to do to get my body, you know, back to my old self. And just as a team, you know, just you know, have a reef as mindset and I hugy mindset, ready for another opportunity to you know, play in February.
Speaker 1: And James, that's Tyson Campbell, Jaguars fourth year cornerback, Welcome Back. Its Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by Ancient City Brewing Taste History, Make History. And the full conversation with Campbell available at Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. Caught up with him in the building here at the middle of Electric Center, just down the hall from the Hundai Studios. I guess that was on Wednesday. What is today? Thursday? I guess it was tuesday. It was Tuesday. I talked to Tyson a big year obviously contract here for Tyson Campbell coming up, and he missed six games last season, had a hamstring shoe came back late in the year, just wasn't right the back half, and you know he's he's geared up and ready to go now going into this now fourth season in the National Football League. Of course, one interception last year, ended up with sixty tackles for the season, but only played in eleven games a year before. It was really his best year easily, seventeen games, three interceptions, forced fumble, and the guy was all over the field, making tackles and really improving as it went along. And hopefully that's the case moving ahead, new defense and maybe a new feel on the outside for him, and we'll see if that carries over. And the twenty twenty four schedule is here, of course, it was announced last night, and so are single game tickets, so don't miss your favorite matchups. Be at the bank when the Jags take on the biggest names and teams in the NFL. Lock in seats for your favorite matchup, and you can do it right now, go to Jaguars dot com, slash tickets or call nine oh four six three three two thousand. Our thanks to John Oser and PFF analyst Max Chadwick for joining us. It's time for keeping it real. Insert sponsor here. Less than a month until the players are out of here for the offseason program. That's about as real as it gets, by the way. But OTAs organized team activities start next week and Monday May twentieth is the first one open to media. The first of each week will be open to media, no fans allowed, So May twentieth, May twenty eighth, June third, we'll have eyes on what's going on out there, and then mandatory mini camp the week after that June ten, eleven, and twelve, And in years past, if there's enough participation in the voluntary portion, the veterans a lot of times get that mandatory mini camp away. I believe was the case last year, and from all accounts from what we've heard from Doug Peterson, the attendance has been pretty good up to this point, so that's a good sign. And there are certain rules of course that are you know, extended a little bit more in this offseason program when Phase three rolls along in the OTA, so you can be in the building six hours a day, two hours max on the field. Helmets are allowed for the first time, no live contact, no one on ones but there is eleven on eleven offense versus defense and special teams drills that are allowed starting next week for the next four weeks, so we'll get a good idea maybe of or at least a glimpse of what the thoughts are and what this kickoff rule looks like, because special teams drills will be allowed. And then eleven on eleven. As we said, no live contact, no tackling, none of that stuff, but you'll get to see some We'll at least get to see some guys move around, and it's the next step in this offseason program. And finally it's gets started next week and they're limited to a few for the first couple weeks, and then they can cram in four I think, and week three and then finally the three practices in that mandatory mini camp. So we're closing in on the dead zone. And it has come quickly, this offseason program flying along. It just feels like that Super Bowl so late this year. Then the combine came and then all of a sudden, it's free agency at mid March, and then oh gosh, here we go into the off season program begins in mid April, and then the draft hits, and now the draft's over and the rookies are here, and then we're just in about four weeks time they're all gone and then it's back for training camping in late July. So that's coming up next week and we're excited to see it, and we'll have all the coverage, of course, right here on Jaguars Radio and Jaguars dot com. Or thanks today of course to John Osier, senior writer Jaguars dot Com, Max Chadwick of Pro Football Focus for joining us. Full conversation with Max available at Jaguars dot com and Jaguars YouTube. Or thanks to Max Hawkman and David Choe in our studio for making this one happen today. Brent Reeber as well, and congratulations to Brent. Five year anniversary with the Jaguars today, big employee celebration across the street. Thanks to you for listening. And it's Jaguars Happy Hour and it's brought to you by Ancient City Brewing. Taste History, Make History,