Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks. It is Saturday, July nineteenth, and we preach, but we ain't practicing. And welcome to this Saturday Recovery Run edition of Amy and TJ. I say that suppose to practice what you preach. And we started doing these recovery run episodes robes because we're trying to get people to understand you gotta take a break, you gotta do something for yourself, something to look forward to, something to recharge. We have failed miserably at that task, to the point I struggled to come up with anything to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, we started this three weeks ago, four weeks ago, and in a way it was hopefully to inspire everyone to schedule time for themselves, to schedule times as a couple, scheduled times for your personal and just to prioritize it. And so we thought by doing this podcast every week, we would be doing that very same thing ourselves. We would be prioritizing downtime, relaxation, rest. And this week we have it's been the worst that we've it's been the worst week we've ever had. I feel like I feel like all we did was work from three o'clock in the morning until nine o'clock at night.
Speaker 1: And that was parenting involved in the middle. There was a lot happening. I think I think we messed up. I think we launched it when things were going well. I think we might have been on vacations.
Speaker 2: Right like this is easy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think that might have been. I think we actually were.
Speaker 2: And so now that we're back in the real world and grinding, and this is a grind. Anyone who is starting up a small business or employed for themselves or trying to improve their lives have a side hustle. You guys know exactly what we're talking about, and so, yes we are. We feel like we work around the clock. So I put this in our recovery run script. What do we do to recover this week? Almost nothing? That was my reaction to that. Now, we tried to go see Superman. What happened to that? We actually looked up the times, had a date and a plan.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know, but we got too busy to do so something happened. We had a few appointments, and we absolutely because we wanted to see the movie so that we could actually do a an episode of the podcast on it. Can't do it because it didn't see the movie.
Speaker 2: So we scratched that plan, and then we thought, hey, you know what is coming out. I know what you did last summer right up a rally horror movie. Let's let's try to see that one. And so we looked up the times. We actually had an idea when we might go, and then life happened, didn't happen, and we didn't go.
Speaker 1: And that's something we have been looking forward to that movie of a months because we know it's coming out. Obviously, anybody who listens to us knows we're horror movie buffs.
Speaker 2: And so so it does seem like we will be seeing it later today on Saturday, and if we do, we will we will jump on and do an episode about it because we want to let y'all know how it is, what we thought of it. Just you know, we love our horror movies. Now our only downtime that I could think of. There are a few, there are few and far between. But you you did prioritize watching FIFA Women's World Cup this week.
Speaker 1: That was earlier in the week. I think it might have been Monday or something. I remember giving you a heads up saying, hey, this is coming Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, three o'clock every day quarterfinal game and didn't miss one. You haven't all week and they have delivered like crazy watching the euro Cup, rooting for women's soccer from countries that I ain't from. That has been the fan.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I even gained a little energy talking about it right now because that has been fun.
Speaker 2: So that fueled you. You got to do something you love, which is watched sports. I watched two of the three matches, and that does remind me that on Wednesday, I did go and make some time for myself with an anesthetician and I introduced myself to extreme pain with something that some person told me that I should do because I'm fifty two. It's called Morpheus eight I think anyway. All I know is it's super painful, and they tell me that my skin will naturally tighten and lift because of all the pain that it went through the trauma of the Morpheus every run. Yeah, but this was right. But this is something I did for myself. I chose pain. I chose to introduce pain into my body so that I would look more rested and refreshed.
Speaker 1: You look great, baby, really, no, no, no, if even if you didn't, I would tell you did what you do look great.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Now we got so we should be doing more napping, and I actually think they don't. They say like a thirty minute nap, a ninety minute nap. That is like the holy grail of recovery. How is your sleep this week? How is your because this should be a part of the recovery run. And we do have our aura rings on.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. This is some of the worst sleep and I might I might have gotten the lowest sleep score I've ever gotten this week. I think it was a forty one or something. If you won't familiar with the aura of rings and they give you a sleep score. But yeah, it's been a rough week of sleep. I even feel like I sound you're dragging right now. I'm driving a little bit. Yeah, I'm really not sure why. Yes, it has been a stressful week. We are we have a lot of we're juggling a lot of things right now. And yes, there has been an increased load with kids in parenting the last few weeks in the summer in particular, and that's just what it is.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I remember when my kids were younger and back to school would happen in September, but you know, the summer was always hectic. What do you do with the kids? They're always around, they want your constant attention. They're very needy. And I remember Al Roker when back to school happened on the Today Show, would saying it's the most wonderful time of the year for parents, right when kids go back to school. And I thought those days were over because my kids are older. Na, they're both back in the apartment with us at the age of nineteen and twenty two. Now Eva did just we hope and think she just got her apartment. She's going to be moving to Brooklyn and that's happening actually in a month. And I do think it's funny. I love my girls, We love our children, but man, it's a it tests you. Even when they're older, they still they're needy, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Well they're your kids, right, they will always you know, no matter what. If I go home right now, they say you went back home on my parent You just there's an expectation that your parents are going to take care of you, and they expect to do it. You don't take advantage of it, of course, but I don't know. There is something kind of cool and will forever be cute about that that when I go home my parents, you were there last time with me. They insisted we have to cook for you. Yes, you have to come over because we have to prepare a meal. We have to take care of you.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, so you have been You are the family chef for sure, and I've gotten used to it, and you're amazing at it. And now my daughters are even like, yeah, TJ's better than you because they grew up with my cooking. But you cooked the last three nights in a row, and last night I don't think we realized both girls were going to come in and be as hungry as they were, and you didn't actually even get to have much food because everybody ate it for you.
Speaker 1: I swear to god, I've lost weight this summer. No, not that I actually have, for I am losing weight because I wake up and I don't realize I really didn't get to eat dinner. Everything's fine with the girls, we all. This is my problem with the girls. Okay, this is my problem. Just tell me that you want to eat, that's all. Just let me know that I have an extra mouth to account for. There's plenty of food. I can make it happen, that's all. Just tell me you're gonna be back for food. What happens is I make dinner for the two of us, and then everybody comes in like a tornado. And then next thing you know, all the food's gone.
Speaker 2: Like actually, all the food.
Speaker 1: Is got like crazy people. And this is not a sit down. Let me give me a plate. They see the plate in front of you and they just gobble it up.
Speaker 2: Your food's that good?
Speaker 1: And next thing you know, I haven't eaten. That's happened several this week.
Speaker 2: So when we do our morning runs, I always no because I can actually hear your stomach growling in the morning as we're typing and researching, and I know, I'm like, wow, did you not eat last night? Again?
Speaker 1: Just tell me so, like an account for another mouth to feet. It's no problem, that's fair.
Speaker 2: We'll do better on that. So there was a first. This was at the very beginning of the week. You I have been trying for years actually to get you to come and either get a foot massage or a manny petty with me, and you've always resisted. But I think you saw your feet when we were on vacation and you looked at me, and you looked at me and you said, Okay, I'm gonna get a ped of here. You have a like a major callous. It's like a really gnarly callous.
Speaker 1: Okay, on the right toe and then on the heel on the right foot. It was, what's the best way to describe it.
Speaker 2: It looks like the Sahara desert.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Dry and cracking.
Speaker 1: Those two things needed treatment. That's what my problem was. It wasn't a toe game situation that was.
Speaker 2: It was, Yeah, you actually have very nice tonyails. You're very very good about that type of hygiene.
Speaker 1: But I asked, how can I get this take care because it was annoying me. So that's what you all recommended, pedicure. So here we are talking about recovery run and we're talking about taking someone to a salon to be pampered with a pedicure. So that sounds like it should be a part of.
Speaker 2: Our recovery, right exactly. And that's why I wanted to include this because I was thinking to myself, this is so fun, Like I love going and getting many petties, and I would love to have you come with me. I see plenty of men in the salons or the spas these days, so it's kind of an accepted thing now, so it's cool. He's gonna go. He is gonna love it. We go to sit down and you immediately say, no massage. I don't want anyone massaging my likes. By the way, that's the best part of the pedicure.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know that. I thought it was a foot thing. No, that was a flop thing. Just deal with the feet.
Speaker 2: Your feet looked good, but then your legs feel amazing. Why wouldn't you get the massage?
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't want. I just need. I really didn't even want the petticure. I just wanted you to handle the callous thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, So here's the funny thing. We go to sit down, he's like, will you tell them what I need? Like you, you actually didn't even want to directly communicate. Was it because you were embarrassed you were there or you didn't know what to say?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't understand. There was a menu that looked like I was about to eat at Benny Hannah, right.
Speaker 2: Because you can get the elevated extra.
Speaker 1: It was too much. So that's what I'm saying. I was overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: You want the Spa petticure.
Speaker 1: Oh no, see I didn't know what that meant. So you and Savine get some thing.
Speaker 2: We get the green tea spaw pettic I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: See, everybody, you hear what I'm talking about. You didn't want to communicate. I didn't know what the green tea.
Speaker 2: So you get like extra moisturizers. And so you said, no, I don't want any of the bells and whistles. I just want them to do you know.
Speaker 1: The impression of me.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, I thought that was not too bad. I've been worse before anyway. So so all of a sudden, we're at the SPA and they start putting a mask on our legs, onto Bean's legs and on my legs. So what's going on? Why are they doing that to you guys? And we were laughing and we were trying to explain this is a part of the SPA package, the Spa pedicure that you opted out of. Were you jealous at all?
Speaker 1: But I still don't understand what it's for. Yourl's legs just looked weird for a little while, and you got.
Speaker 2: To put on it.
Speaker 1: I don't understand.
Speaker 2: So it's basically to infuse moisture. It's just to make your skin more supple.
Speaker 1: Put it on. You want to put that on it, Give me a callous mask.
Speaker 2: They have those.
Speaker 1: That's all I need. I swear to you. They just would have worked in the two areas you do understaid.
Speaker 2: This is how you your no frills always, like even when you go in, like if we go shopping, we have to get into the store exactly when it opens. We have to have a mission, what are you getting? Where is it? And then directly go to check out.
Speaker 1: It's called shopping.
Speaker 2: None again, you're missing the experience and part a recovery run is saying like it's not about having a mission or a goal. Get the callus off, get the shirt I want. It's about like walking in and taking in all the beautiful sights and sounds and smells and saying what looks beautiful, like yes, that's the store. And then even in the nails salon, pick your color, you appreciate the pleasing music.
Speaker 1: That's what it was. I didn't pick a color. I should have got the color.
Speaker 2: What color would you have put on your tone?
Speaker 1: Something outlandish that would have embarrassed you walking down the street with me? Hot pink, that would embarrassed you.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, although I know it's cool now men polish their fingernails, even a la hairy styles. Did he start that going?
Speaker 1: I think so, it's been going for a little bit. I'm not there.
Speaker 2: Seriously, would you do it fingernails?
Speaker 1: No? No, it's just not me.
Speaker 2: Would you rather get a massage in the pedicure or paint your toenails?
Speaker 1: A massage and a I don't want any of it. And you know why, folks, because we're talking about a pedicure at a salon as if it was a positive part of the recovery run, when in fact, it was probably the worst part of my week.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone to our recovery run and what should have been Wow, just a relaxing zen experience. TJ going to the salon to get a pedicure with his two favorite gals, his girlfriend, his daughter. We're all there together. It's been a stressful week and TJ is not having the experience.
Speaker 1: You were uncomfortable from the jump, I mean from absolute jump street. I was so uncomfortable with everything that woman. How many times does she have to pull me to the side and say move it, oh, and do it. It was one point she wrapped my foot in some plastic and had it propped up, and I put it down in the water. She grabbed.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no, I mean really it was his first time. But the funny thing is, so you were having a tough time when so they when you especially, we specifically asked for callous remover, right, So that's how they wrapped it up. Because they're putting an actual callous remover gel on your areas, problem areas, and they let it treat the area first, and then they take out what looks like a cheese grater.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, yeah, I love that part. That was fine.
Speaker 2: Well you liked the cheese grader.
Speaker 1: It was just funny.
Speaker 2: I love it. But I thought that was tickling you or bothering you.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not.
Speaker 2: Where were you sensitive?
Speaker 1: My feet heel arch toe from the pinky to the everything. I don't like my feet being touched. And so she's down there. Clip clip, clip, clip clip, every clip was excruciating.
Speaker 2: You said it was like fingernails on a chalk war.
Speaker 1: It was the the worst breaking experience. What's the thing where the cuticle thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they push your cuticle down and then they cut it.
Speaker 1: She almost got kicked in the face seven times.
Speaker 2: You looked at me, almost within minutes of the pedicure beginning, and you said, never, never again.
Speaker 1: That will never happen again.
Speaker 2: You You were like one and done. And we've been Sabina and I have been really pushing this and talking it up and saying you're gonna love it. And I actually was convinced he's gonna go one time and he's gonna say damn. That is good. I wait till we go again.
Speaker 1: I said damn, And then is it wrong?
Speaker 2: I always forget the German term when you are finding some sort of pleasure in someone else's pain. It's a I'll have to look it up, but there is that German word. Like when people fall and you laugh. It's not like you want somebody to have any harm, but there is something funny about someone watching you squirm in the pedicure chair. I have to say that I had that experience.
Speaker 1: I was laughing like maniacal call that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get the word for you in a second. No, it's an actual things. I'll get it. I always forget it. It's a very very German word and we don't have the equivalent here in the English language. But you think it's funny when people fall.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's hilarious. Falls are the best thing ever. And I didn't see a lot of that this week for whatever reason. But that was my That's the highlight of my wheel I did take. I told you it was maybe the best ride ever. If anybody's here in New York, you know traffic is hell. But on weekend mornings, if you're in this city, there's a reason you see a lot of guys out riding motorcycles. But I guess that's the only time we can actually maneuver our way around the city and not be stuck in traffic. You can kind of open it up and ride the bike. So I do it on the weekend mornings, and I I had I caught every light from downtown to Times Square, and that just doesn't happen. I started in downtown Manhattan and I didn't stop until I got to Times Square. That's a good morning.
Speaker 2: That sounds like will Smith character, and I am legend when he just can just ride the streets of anyone who lives here. Anyone who's been here knows that that just doesn't happen. It needs to be six o'clock in the morning on a Sunday morning.
Speaker 1: That's where you went apocalyptic. I'm talking about a wonderful ride. Yeah, that reminds me of that doomsday movie. Yeah, just TJ another light skin Black Brotherhood.
Speaker 2: Right, I was joining that comparison as well.
Speaker 1: Forgive me with my.
Speaker 2: Dog, Yes, but just stay away from Grand Central because that was the scariest scene ever. But that's amazing. And by the way, while you were telling your wonderful motorcycle story of catching all green lights, which that is a good feeling, I found the German word for taking pleasure in the misfortune of others. It is called shoden freda Florida. Oh I did it, and I nailed It's yeah, I did. All of my ancestors very proud there with that one. Shut in froot freuda shudenfreuda, shudin freude. So shut in is harm or damage and freuda is joy. So the concept is not unique to German, but people who speak English say it a lot because we don't really have a word that also explains that.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, what a recovery run. This was this week and Savine just walked in. Hey, Savine, she just walked in. How would you describe your dad's pedicure experience?
Speaker 2: What did she say?
Speaker 1: You just said bad?
Speaker 2: I thought she was gonna say comical bad. We both know you're never coming with us again.
Speaker 1: It's okay, what I You try things you never know until you try. But now I know.
Speaker 2: Now you know, never again. And the FIFA World Cup, Sorry EuroCup, I said that wrong. There's a World Cup and then there's a FIFA euro Cup.
Speaker 1: Correct, the European countries competing, right, that's the women's.
Speaker 2: Go quarterfile finals are next week, semi week.
Speaker 1: I can't get the names off the top of my head, but the semi next week. Yeah, we will be on top of it for sure.
Speaker 2: We will keep watching that this week as part of our recovery. But we are going to do better. We hope you did better than us this week, and please let us know what you do to relax, what you do to unwind. We'll take all the tips we can get, but we will check back in with you on our recovery run next week and we promise, we promise, we're gonna do better. I may be roadblock everyone for on behalf of myself and my partner t J. Holmes. We hope you have a wonderful weekend. Everybody, Thanks for running with us.