Speaker 1: All from Ruby.
Speaker 2: Hello? Hello, what is your name?
Speaker 1: My name is Ruby?
Speaker 2: What's up? Ruby?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 2: How can I get you today? What's what's happening?
Speaker 1: Shoot? I don't know. Life is crazy? Life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do say that a lot. I do say that a lot, and I fucking mean it with my entire body every time.
Speaker 1: That I say it, I feel it with my entire No, that sounds weird. Hmmm. Yeah, life is crazy. Have you seen Do you have any texts, previous texts?
Speaker 2: Do I have any previous texts from the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've tried to call him before.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well, uh no, no worry about it. Okay, all right, do you have a thing you want to talk about?
Speaker 1: I mean, shoot, not particularly. Life is just crazy. The last last couple of years been crazy.
Speaker 2: How old are you reby?
Speaker 1: I am nineteen?
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh why have the last few years been crazy?
Speaker 1: Well? Hm hmm. So I grew up Mormon, whole family left Mormonism. That was pretty crazy. I had to go through like treatment for like crazy uh eating disorder stuff. That was pretty crazy. Anyway, it's just lots of crazy, lots of change, and it's been like it's like the most persistent thought has been like this is just sucks, but like i'd write like it's weird. It's like I know, it's like I know, uh, yes, there is the gecko guy. My brother's in the room. Yeah, I don't know. It's life is hard, and it's like I'm glad it happened, but you know it's hard.
Speaker 2: H Do you think it'll get any easier?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so yeah, that's kind of what I want to talk about. It's like that's what everybody says, but it's just it's like weird.
Speaker 4: It's it's like and.
Speaker 1: Then I okay, that's the thought. I'm finding the words. I'm like, what's the word. Oh, it's just like yeah, it's like I'm only nineteen yet, like everything feels so shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an interesting question. Will it get easier? That's an interesting question. I don't like when people say it'll get easier, as if that's like fucking I hate when people say that because it's like that's not it's not guaranteed, you know. It's like I don't like, uh, like, I mean, I think you should. I I'm sure I've done this a billion times in my life, so whatever, but I'm like, you should probably not try not to promise things that are not you can't fulfill, and so like it will get easier just feels to me like like an empty promise, you know what I mean. Not, by the way, not not to say that the alternative, not to say that everything will always will get worse. That's also that's equally as much of a platitude. The truth is that you kind of have no fucking idea, but you can. I get you can do certain things with your life agency two give yourself a better shot that things will get easier. Life can take your agency and shove it up your ass too, But that's kind of your it's kind of your only option. I suppose what would what would things look like if they got easier?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think it's just like more routine. I think that's I'm like formulating the words better now. It's like life is just so like crazy, and it's like I'm sure I can do things to make it easier, but so hard to like find the motivation, you know what I mean, what.
Speaker 2: Do you attempt to get motivated to do?
Speaker 1: Just like, I don't know, I feel like nothing about my life lately is like like there's no routine like whatsoever. I feel like, so it's hard to like.
Speaker 2: You in college or you in college? Do you have a job or something.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, I'm in community college. I'm in my last semester actually, which is exciting. I'm also working, but it's like I am like two classes and they're all on different days at different times. And then my job is like it's very isolated, and the hours like all over the place. Yeah, so it's yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know what's what's the job.
Speaker 1: I'm a behavioral technician, So I work with adults with Down syndrome right now and like with like their treatment plans and getting them socialized and like emotional regulation and all that.
Speaker 2: Why is that isolating?
Speaker 1: Well, So, I mean I work one on one with just one client right now, and so I'm like and it's a really fulfilling job, and I feel like really close to my client obviously, like within a prof sense. But it's just like I'm with a twenty four year old and he has like he's very low functioning. There's like different levels, you know, high school.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I understand, Yeah, and he just had like really bad regression, and I like, I'm just with like this dude all day. I don't get you.
Speaker 2: I get you, I get because it just you're one on one. It's like you're wait, so you're a tell me the job title again.
Speaker 1: I'm a behavioral technician okay, slash like personal assistance. Why I work going on along with this guy and like his family basically for a treatment.
Speaker 2: So it's just you and this guy, Like I assume, like is there not do you have like a boss.
Speaker 1: Who is also yeah, like so I work with his family. I am like assigned by like an agency, but his family is like like my boss basically his mom. Okay, all right, so you're okay you like, I don't have coworkers or anything.
Speaker 2: You provide living care to this guy? Yeah yeah, okay, yes that makes sense. No, I can definitely see how how that could be, how that could be kind of isolating for sure. Yeah, but that does sound rewarding how I feel? Go ahead? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Sorry, no, you go ahead.
Speaker 2: Oh it's just gonna say I'm still thinking about whether or not life gets easier.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I was well it's sorry, go ahead. Oh I was gonna say, like it's interesting because it's like, I mean, I don't think that saying is very like like life gets easier like you were saying, it's like, well, that's not a good thing to like like bank on because it's like it's been interesting just to see like where me and my family have been at, like seeing like them whole change. It's like leaving a freaking cold and stuff too. It's like in their like seeing the stuff they're going through. It's kind of like, no, it doesn't get easier, but but it's like been really good at the same time.
Speaker 4: It's just yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Like so when you when you are observing the lives of like I guess your parents, and I guess of like other people you know who are later in their life journeys, have you observed it getting easier.
Speaker 1: Like like yes and no, I feel like I feel like it's like it's a harder but more rewarding, like path I guess kind of like yeah, I don't know. I just I feel like I do feel like lives become a lot more like I don't know what we're like colorful, I guess since like leaving and just also just going through a lot of other stuff like I don't know, I see things a lot differently, or like I know different people now, like my parents. The changes with my parents are so funny, Like they're different now in our relationships different and it's awesome. And but like we're at the same time, like we're all just like really depressed, which is really funny. Well it's not funny, but it's like, you know, it's just an interesting dichotomy.
Speaker 2: I guess, do you know anyone else who left Mormonism that's like one of your friends.
Speaker 1: No, all my like good friends didn't really grow up in it, but I can talk to them. I guess. It's funny because like I live in like a smaller town too, and so I like and I grew up with a lot of other kids, like in the congregation, so I know a lot of them. And yeah, it's that's it's been weird too, Like a lot of people I've grown up with, I like see them like treat me and my family differently now that we've left, and it's like, oh, oh, that was a superficial relationship.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's just that kind of stuck. But it's also like whatever, I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess life gets a little easier in the sense that I feel like as you get older, you uh, you know. Yeah, I mentioned that you have like a little bit of agency to determine if your life is gonna get easier, like, you know, a little bit whatever you got, uh, And I think you get I think as you get older, you get a little bit more of that agency. You you think, it's like a bell curve. You get a little bit more of that agency. And then once you turn uh, and then one, and then once you get all your body starts to break down forever until you die. And then then it just starts to go. Your agency sits away, as your as your ankles starts to decay, and you and then but then you know what, I'll say this, I do believe that life gets easier in the sense that eventually, yes, you die, and that's the easiest thing ever. I had a debate. No, I had a debate with someone. I had a debate with This is fucked up. I shouldn't say any of this, but I had a debate with someone. I might have talked about this on the podcast already, but I told somebody that I thought it would be easier to be dead than being alive. And he then he strongly disagreed with me because he said, because he said that it's not he said that it isn't uh comparable, They're not like being a lot. Being dead is not easy in her heart, it's not even anything. So to say it's easy it's false because something that's not not even existing can't be easier hard. It can't be anything it's not existing. But I did I don't it's a fair argument that he made, But I don't know if I agree with it.
Speaker 1: But I mean, like, yeah, I don't know, but well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we could. I'm glad we could reach that conclusion.
Speaker 1: It gets interesting, it gets more interesting, it gets more interesting.
Speaker 2: Actually, I disagree with that too. I don't think that's inherent. I don't think that's uh, it can, I'll say, I'll say it absolutely. I believe with one hundred percent certainty that it can get more interesting. I don't believe with one hundred percent certainty that it does automatically. But I agree with you that it can.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's fair. Yeah, semi semi adult stage of life is interesting.
Speaker 2: I guess how do you, uh, how do you feel about this conversation?
Speaker 1: It's okay. I was kind of surprised that I'm here, but so my bad.
Speaker 2: Don't you have nothing to apologize for?
Speaker 1: Okay, well cool, thank you sir, of course.
Speaker 2: Is is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Well, what did you use? Hold on? Don't tell me I want to hold on. Don't say a fucking word hold on. Uh No, I'm sorry. I don't remember your name? What was it? Oh Man?
Speaker 1: Ruby?
Speaker 2: Ruby?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Thank you for calling Ruby, Thank you?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't I don't remember any anyone's name. What does life get easier?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: I I don't know. I've been thinking about that. I've been thinking about whether or not life gets easier for some people it does? Uh, I don't know. I very much have been wondering with myself if life if the idea that at some point in the future, I have a strong like, Okay, I have a very strong belief that at some point in the future my life will get easier. I'm strong on a personal level. I believe that my life will get easier in the future. And I've kind of compiled a little handful of external reasons as to why I believe that is the case. And I've taken these external reasons and I've examined them, and I'll go, because of these things, at a certain point in the future, my life will get easier. And a strong part of me believes that. But then I have a little voice in the back of my head that's telling me, do you remember a few years ago when you had a different list of external reasons why your life was going to get easier and those appeared and your life didn't actually get easier, And you know, maybe your life getting easier is a thing that takes place in your own brain. And I go, shut up, that's not true this time. And I believe this with vocal miction. And this is not a little I'm not saying this as like some kind of let wise lesson or whatever. I still believe. I have a fifty percent of my body that believes when I achieve these external circumstances, my life will get better and easier. And then a little voice goes but do you remember when you said that two years ago? And I think that little voice they might he might he might have a point, but he might also be full of shit. I didn't know. Hello, Hello, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm at work right now.
Speaker 2: Actually, what is your name, Hayley? What do you What is your work, Hayley? What do you do?
Speaker 4: I work for a cleaning company that does commercial cleaning for I don't know if you've heard.
Speaker 2: Of Colar toilets, Coaler toilets. No, I've Normally, when I'm sitting on a toilet, I'm looking in the opposite direction that has the toilet's name on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's that's pretty fair. But I mean I guess, like you know, when you put the lid up, it's a little label like right right behind the lid right.
Speaker 2: Actually, I guess, Well, damn, I just accidentally revealed this. But I do I sit down when I pee almost, not like when it in any time I'm using a public restroom, I'll do a stand and be Actually that's not always true. Here's the problem is when I pee, the pee usually gets everywhere. And uh so, when I like, like almost every time, when I go to use a fucking urinal and I pee, when I when I you know, put put it put it back in my underwear, underwear, it gets like soggy because all the p didn't come out. Oh, my God, so like, so that's why I sit down when I pee, because I just kind of know for a fact, you know, I can wipe afterwards with the piece of the piece of toilet paper and no, no, that's fair.
Speaker 4: Actually, I have an ex boyfriend that used to sit down all the time, and I actually respect that it leaves less of a mess. You know.
Speaker 2: Cool, I'm fine, all right, you know what, Uh, thank you, Hailey. I appreciate you giving us uh sit down peers the respect that we deserve because I think for a long time it was seen as uh immasculine, but I think it's I've as I've explained to you, it's quite masculine and strategic as well. It's like I'm like a war general coming up with a plan of some kind.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, sure, you're thinking about the janitors without even thinking about the janitors, you know.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not thinking about the janitors at all. I'm thinking about my sagga.
Speaker 4: I know you're I'm saying you're considering them without considering them, but yeah, no.
Speaker 2: It's a purely sell fishing. You're trying. You're trying to make it like I know, but you're trying. You're trying to make it seem like I sit down when I pee for the greater good and I'm not excitted.
Speaker 4: No, but you could twist it that way if you want.
Speaker 2: You could, and you know what, I will. I think I am. I sit down when ipee because I am very considerate of the bathroom workers.
Speaker 4: Yes, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 2: Uh what is it you wanted to talk about today? Because I assume it was not this?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I sent you like a billion texts like a like a weirdo. But I guess, like I don't know. I could talk about my work. I could talk about I just got my first apartment.
Speaker 2: That was really cool, very nice. Well, okay, of all the things, of all the things, what's the one that you would like to talk about and we can talk about that?
Speaker 4: Okay. I guess I was kind of thinking about uh oh shit, I'm like thinking now, I don't know. So yeah, like the thing that you said about life getting easier, I guess because I was I was listening while I was like working taking out garbage and stuff. But you know, I think it's kind of like give or take right, like it's never going to be just like oh, I like it is easier now, Like it just kind of eas easier sometimes and it's not other times. Like I don't know why. Same thing with like the happiness thing you talk about. It's like, I don't know why it's such a goal for so many people. I get it, but it's also like a feeling that just kind of passes, just like any other feeling, and it's I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's give some context, because I don't know where in the podcast I'll put this from in. Okay, so I guess what the fuck was I going to say? I guess I guess uh ah, fuck, I'm tripped up now. Uh well, what give me a specific thought?
Speaker 4: Okay, Like I had to grow up really really fast here not that long ago, because I got my first apartment, and you know, I had all my family to help me and stuff, but I don't drive. I moved out of the city that I live in, you know, like I had to rent a shampoo today, I had to get up early and then I had to go to work, and like I've keys in my house and like like things like that does make life feel a lot easier, kind of like you were saying earlier, like it makes it feel easier it doesn't always mean it's better, but it might make it like like it's taken off a lot on my shoulders. Like I used to live with my mom and she has you know, like dogs, and I have a six year old little brother and you know, sharing space with people is like do.
Speaker 2: You believe that your life has gotten Why do you think your life has gotten easier? Do you think that it and why do you think your life is un easier? And do you think it's because of some intentional action that you took to make it east?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think it's a lot of like like literally just doing it, and like, I know it sounds so stupid because I've been stuck before where I'm like I can't, I can't do it. I just can't. And like, ultimately, at the end of the day, it is kind of an excuse in my opinion, Like there are some things that you can't get around or are hard to get around. But if you want to do it, do it. And if you want to fix it, fix it.
Speaker 2: If you want to do it, do it. If you want to fix it, fix it. I agree with that. I agree with that. I think you're given some agency in life to fix your problems, you know, And like I said, though.
Speaker 4: It's different for everyone, like there are like that's the thing is, it's different for everybody.
Speaker 2: That's why I don't like saying that. I don't like saying that you're giving some agency problems because some because a lot of times you're not. But yeah, a lot of times you're not. But like if if we're just playing, if we're like if we're going to make it like a math problem, if we're going to just calculate our odds, right, Like, if you believe that you can fix your problems, your odds of doing it are better than if you believe that you can't, regardless of whatever your external circumstances are. So that's true, but the odds are never going to be one hundred percent unless it's uh.
Speaker 4: But like I think unless you have like ten if you have ten millions, yeah, I think we all have to kind of make peace with that on a level at some point. Like there's this for example, at my work, okay, right, because it's Cohler Company. So like the owner of the company, I clean his office and everything. He's like a billionaire, and his receptionist just bitches at our company all the time for these little tiny things like spot glasses on the water glasses and like there was one fingerprint here, there's one little snibble on the ground. And it's like she probably has a fuck ton of money and like a mansion that she's living in, but she's taking it out on this like little cleaning company because she's just fucking unhappy. And it's like, you can always find ways to be unhappy, but you can always find ways to be happy too.
Speaker 2: It's true you can always. You can't, you really can't. I'm trying to think of some any problems that a billion dollars can't solve. You can't really buy. I guess you can't. I guess there's a lot of problems that a billion dollars can solve. There's like a ton that a billion dollars can solve. But I guess if you're like always pissed off all the time, purely having a billion dollars will not change whatever's in your brain.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Yeah, it's about kind of making peace with the sucky thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a quote that I like, I don't know who said it, but it's something like the the mind can make a a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I've heard that before. It's good.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had to clean human shit?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm not as bad as some of the other janitor stories I've heard on here. But there's a factory I go to sometimes, and there's this one time. It was like hiked on on the back of the toilet and I was talking to my coworker, which was stupid, but I was like scrubbing it and my mouth was open, so I was talking and like a little sprits just got in my mouth and I was like, oh, oh, I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to kill myself now. Yes, wait at poop, yeah, poop.
Speaker 2: Water, Oh god, oh Jesus, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, No, it was no nasty. It's not sixteen an hour.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Oh my god. That's one of the most upsetting things I've heard someone say on here. Actually, oh oh for real people and yeah, and people have talked about like, you know, it's fucking horrible things, and that's yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean one janitor that said something about like kids like writing and poop on the walls. I think that's worth worse, honestly, because I actually have to talk about.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but that's that. I don't think that's I don't think that's it. Well, first of all, yeah, of course they're doing that. You know, I'm sure I was doing that when I was a kid. But no, but that, but you're getting a little spirits of it in your mouth. That's one of the words.
Speaker 4: That's horrible, okay, yeah, no, And that's pretty it's pretty foul.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wanted to drink bleach. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, Well, honestly, I'm very inspired by the fact that you have continued to live life even after that experience. And I'm gonna think about that next time I have a difficult experience. I'm gonna go, this lady got a little sprits of poop in her mouth, and she didn't kill herself, So I'm not going to either.
Speaker 4: I mean, think about people who eat ass.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be worse, right, no, because you can.
Speaker 4: Not everyone cleans.
Speaker 2: Not everyone cleans.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I've had guys just straight up going there without even asking. Oh Jesus, oh yeah, no, people don't care.
Speaker 5: It's gross.
Speaker 2: Was there anything else? Who I say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So yeah, I'm really grateful for this experience. Experience by the way, Lyle, so thank you, and I just want everyone to enjoy life as much as they can, try not to ruminate on the shitty things, and eat lots of tasty, good food.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. Thank you for calling, ma'am.
Speaker 4: You're welcome, man, Thank you so much for this opportunity.
Speaker 2: Is there right? Does anyone else sit down? Will ape an any others sit down? Peers? But listen to this show because I think it's a perfectly respectable way to go about life. A friend of the show, I'll call him Tim Heidecker, who appeared on an episode I think, uh one or two years ago, year and a half ago, something like that. Uh, Tim, Tim and Eric they have a song called I Sit Down When I Pee. It goes something like I sit down when I pee. There's nothing that crazy about me. I'm just taking a whiz. Mind your own biz. What does everybody keep staring at me? And?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: I think those were those were poetic words? Hello, Hi, Hi, what is your name?
Speaker 3: You need?
Speaker 2: Sntario Santiago? What's going on? Where you call him from? Sir?
Speaker 3: I'm going to yeah.
Speaker 2: From where.
Speaker 3: Colombia South America.
Speaker 2: Oh, very cool. What's going on down there?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Not much, you know, just chilling watching stream.
Speaker 2: Cool cool, very cool, very sick, very awesome, very nice. How can I get you today, Sir Santiago? What's uh, what's on your mind? What do you want to talk about?
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, I think there's like a lot because my life has been pretty eventful over a little these last two years, so I wouldn't know like where.
Speaker 2: To start, seem start anywhere, all right.
Speaker 3: So turns out like now, I told you I am coming from Colombia. But I moved to the US like two years almost three years ago, and I lived there for like two years, and it was one of the most fucked up experience so.
Speaker 2: Far living in Living in the US was one of the most fucked up experiences you've had so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fucking wild.
Speaker 2: Tell me why?
Speaker 3: All right? So I moved there, and initially, since I lived here, I didn't have a home there. So when I moved there, we were supposed to be this thing with a friend of my dad who was supposed to you know, receive me, helped me. I was going to finish high school there because at that time I was I think I was sixteen or something or so, I don't remember well. So you know, everything was like a really cool plan, trying to say that I will finish high school there, go to college there, and he was supposed to like, uh not like you drop me, like be my new guardian, because I was going to stay with him by myself, like my parents will be back here in Columbia. And it turns out the dude was like a piece of shit and he like made me one of the worst months of my life because he was extremely narcissistic person and he ended up being like a crazy religious man.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so he moved to the US, and like the plan was, You're gonna stay with this guy, and then he turned out to be crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because basically at first everything was like looking fine because he was like really friendly and he'll had like you know, his own family, and we were all like getting along. But then with time he started being like more like intrusive in my life because I mean he was really really used Christian, but I'm not an't I'm not I don't believe in God. He sort of like a little kid, but the guy was like really really into it and he started like trying to I mean, I would go home and just try to sleep after a day of working going to school, and he would like start like preaching me about God and how he I mean he was also from Columbia, and he told me that one time, I'm sorry that one time he helped like a guy that he is now two be like a better person, and that he converted him to a god a person, and he wanted to do the same with me because he thought us like that I was like a evil or something. Because he tried to take me to church and do all kinds of stuff because I I usually wear all black. I don't wear anything else than that that isn't black. So he used and for no specific reasons, but he used to think that was like an evil thing, that I was like the devil or something. So he like try to talk to me saying things like that I should you know, worship God. And he will say like evolution is stupid, and he will like talk to me like you think we come from monkeys. I don't think so I don't look like him, do I? And that can stupid ship to the point where he ended up like telling me that he used to cheat on his wife, but God changed him and he spent three and third days without eating drinking and even that was he went to the bedroom and pete after no drinking for three days, so he thought there was a proof of God existence and carrying water while he was at leap.
Speaker 2: That is that is extremely funny. Okay. One second, man, are you are you like doing it your fun You keep like cutting out a little bit. I don't know if the chat can hear that, but can is you? Are you like doing anything weird with your phone, like holding it in a weird way, or are you on like headphones or anything like that.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm just on the phone normally. But I think it might be because of the distance, because you know, I'm here in Colombia and maybe the long distance college maybe sucking up.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, anyway, that that is pretty funny that he thought that God was making him piss. Yeah, And he told us that that would be kind of that would be kind of like if he was like if like he came while he was flaccid, you know, and then he was like God, uh gave me ropes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of something like that. I Mean, he would go on and tell us about how he would cheer his wife with multiple people. But then one day he felt like he had a devil in him and after doing that, he felt was really from the levil, so he became a better person. And it was so obvious that he was just trying to deflect the guild of being a cheater into trying to justify it with a demon being inside him, and it just like I think it probably started just like a lie, and he believed it so much that he started like using to convert other people.
Speaker 2: M So, how long did you live with this guy?
Speaker 3: I think I lived with him for six months and in the end I was supposed to stay by myself there, but luckily, and I don't know what I would have done if this didn't happen, but my mom ended up staying with me because she didn't like trust the guy. She didn't he didn't look like good pipes to her, so she stayed with me for a while. And after doing all that, like it wasn't only with the crazy religious things, he will also be like really like he will be a bad person intentionally, but like try to these guys. It so we were living okay, so we thought we're going to live, you know, in a The guy was a big liar, so he told us he was living in a because that he was living you know, the American dream. So we felt like comfortable living with him because we thought we were going to have like a decent place. But it turns out that the guy was living in an apartment that was for he has like two bedrooms, and it was nine of us there because it was me and all of his family. He had three daughters, his wife, his mom, and his aunt. So it was like nine people living in a two bedroom government. So it was fucked up because we will sleep in like those I don't know how it's called, like those beds that you bump air into them.
Speaker 2: And we were sleeping like in air mattresses.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, an air mattress, and we were like sleeping in the I don't know, it's like next to the place where you did I forgot, I'm sorry, the kitchen. Yeah, we were. We were like sleeping next to the kitchen. And we didn't have like no privacy or like anything. I only had like a little closet space for my clothes. I will have my air mattress and like a night's time and that was it, and I didn't have like any privacy because next to the kitchen and next to the couch. So he was like, I don't know. Uh, if I had school the next marine and I had to wake up early, he will stay like really really really with the television, like extremely wild, just to not let me sleep. Or he will like hit two small daughters and they will leave like all day and they didn't like give their give them food, so I will have to cook for them, or they'll buy food and hide it from us, so they weren't like really fucked up stuff.
Speaker 2: Have you ever played Grand Theft Auto four?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 2: This is kind of like the plot of Grand Theft Auto four, although it's not exactly the plot of Grand Theft Autal four, but it's like, I mean, you like the plot of Grand Theft Tootal four is like, Uh, Nico Beleck's cousin, He's like, Yo, come to America, stay with me. I'm living large. I got a mansion, I got a billion dollars. Uh, life in America is sick. And then he gets there and it's like, oh shitty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like that because you know, many people like outside the US, could you probably know this, but feel like the US as the American dream, like this place where you go and you, I don't know, get a lot of money, rich and you just improved your life out of Maui by just being there. But actually for me was the complete opposite, because I'm not that I'm living here in Colombia. I was never rich here nor like, like me a lot of money. But I used to live like a you know, a pretty normal life. I had my own room, I used to go to school, everything, But it was like such a down grade, like I went from having my own room, my own bed, like living in a kitchen in an air mattress with nothing else than that. So yeah, yeah, I guess it was kind of like that.
Speaker 2: I thought, you know, I was actually I was thinking about this today. It's like why, I'm sure, like an actual I'm sure there that like somebody who's familiar with like socioeconomics and stuff could give an actual explanation to this shit. But like I guess I do kind of wonder it's like why, yeah, like why did your family think that things would be better in America? Because I guess you're like America is like way more fucking expensive I assume than Yeahlumbia. So like if you move from Colombia to America, it just seems like everything's going to be like more expensive and more annoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for us, it started when I mean we didn't have plan, We didn't plan to like stay living there because we were just like on vacation. But then we met like a lady that was from her saint country that was working in one of the places we went to visit when we were doing tourism, and she started like talking with my own like saying she used to be a lawyer she in Colombia, and she was like a train driver for like a kids sitting in a park in the US. And she was telling her like, oh that she lived a better life driving a train for kids in the US than being a liar in Colombia. So my mom had like this really idea of like, oh, yeah, that's that's possible. I mean, I can stay here. So she got into that idea of like things were going to be better there, but they actually weren't. Like a lot of people think that even though America is more expensive. At the same time, did you like Earman Morning, Because I mean just say better there. So it's kind of like the balance thing. But I don't know many people like to do that. And I didn't even like believe in the American realm at first, Like they didn't even want to leave in the US, like, oh yeah, I'm going to leave in the US and it's going to be like in the movies. But I ended up like being absorbed by that too without knowing.
Speaker 2: So did you ever get out of that that house? And like where, like where are you at? I mean you're in Columbia, So I guess so you left that guy's house and then like did you get anything? Did you get like a better situation? I were you just like all right, this guy's house sucks. I'm going back to Columbia.
Speaker 3: And that was actually worse. That's that's why I said, like this, those two years were pretty eventful because there were those were just the first six months, and so during those six months turns out like a lot of stuff that was before that work in Boldlare, Like my dad was supposed to help us with the rent, but he like disappeared for that time, so it was only my mom and me, and she was working in a hotel, like doing the planning to be able to pay the billius and I was working at store electring store, so we couldn't pay an apartment bar stuff, so we couldn't get out of there. It was like almost impossible because the rent was so high everywhere, and they also require like you know, credit history and a lot of stuff that we didn't have, so she was almost impossible to move out of there. And in the end we ended up being so desperate of like leaving this guy that we ended up living in a hotel for a few months.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So when did you When did you go back to Columbia.
Speaker 3: I came back in December last year, because yeah, after all that foot up stuff, we went to the hotel. We lived there for a few months. Then things like we got a little better. We started living in a basement so that that we weren'ted, but things were like I mean, I wasn't happy, especially with school there. I don't know what your then, what your opinion is from school in the US, but for me, it absolutely sucked. I didn't I couldn't stand like being living there and going to school there. So I was desperate for coming back and I begged my mom to let me go back, like I will tell her that I would buy the point ticket for myself, that I would work for it, that I just wanted to come back, and he didn't let me do it. So I I ended up like staying the like more time than I expected, and after working for a long time, I was able to like, you know, save up and I made up my mind to come back, and I ended up coming back December last year.
Speaker 2: How's it been since you've gotten back.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, It's didn't kindtast because the people that I knew. I mean, when when I left from Columbia, I was still in high school, so I had, you know, my friends, my school everything. But now when I came back, I mean I particularly lost contact with all those people. So I was kind of like by myself. And at the same time, I was like kind of lost because the plan here is to build college, but I didn't know where to start what you and yeah, I was like we lost After all that, now I'm trying to get into college. But then it like it's really hard because I had take an extent. That's what my big hardest in the country. So I'm really worried that I min not pass.
Speaker 2: Hm, that's crazy, man, that's crazy. Yeah. I guess I don't know. I don't know, I get I I yeah, I was, like I said, I was thinking about I guess why people come Why, Like, you know, people have always been trying to come to America for a better life, and like if actually I mean, we talked to a dude who came uh to America from like El Salvador, and like it was chill for a while and then he was like, oh wait, it actually kind of sucks and then he went back there. But uh, I don't know, there could be some reason I guess why people keep trying to come to America. It's definitely not but I guess I like why, like why America, Like there's a I don't know, like fucking what about like see things things seem pretty cool in a fucking Germany or Italy or France. You know, I guess I guess why America. America seems kind of like it sucks.
Speaker 3: I guess America's sure because you know, I think also because of the location. I mean, the US is streamly big and between the states, there's so many differences that you can it's kind of like be in a different concrete in our state, Durian or that's how it looks like to me since I'm not from there, while in our countries it's maybe like almost the same everywhere. So maybe the US had like more variety when it comes to places depending on the state during.
Speaker 2: Mhmm. Well, well, thanks for sharing your story about all this stuff. Man, I'm sorry that the American dream was not what what what it presented itself be. Do you have like a an ultimate like goal with your with your life? I mean it's not kind of young. How old are you?
Speaker 3: I'm twenty?
Speaker 2: Okay, what's your what's your ultimate dream here?
Speaker 3: And I guess I guess it's going to college right now. I've always wanted to and I always always had that goal. So yeah, that's the reason. That's that's the main reason why I came back to go to college here.
Speaker 2: M hm uh. And then how do you what do you like do you have to take an exam? How do you study for this exam?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, it's really hard. I had to say like a bunch of classes because it's like one hundred and twenty questions exam. But it's one of the top colleges of the country, so they can ask you literally about like anything, anything that you could they could ask you. So I've been like taking many tests and it's like really hard to bet, like out of the I don't know, thirty thousand people that uh take Big Sam for one semester, I'll be like three hundred or so people can pack. So it's like Jesus heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like that's I mean, the fact that they're like, all right, we're gonna give you one hundred and twenty questions about whatever, man and you just have to figure it out. That's insane. I've never heard of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they have they able to have like a different areas that the astream, like math or physics or stuff like that. But in the stuff they can ask you, like anything, they can ask you from I don't know, uh, chemistry to knowing the anatomy of the heart of a fucking fuck or I get goo.
Speaker 2: Well, if you need to study the anatomy of a gecko, Uh, I actually can't help you because I'm just a guy in a gecko suit and if you cut me open, you'd see like a bunch of human ship. But from but I don't know if it's helpful to you. But I have a friend who is in med school and he like cuts people open and stuff. And he told me that the human body is just a bunch of tubes. So if that's one of the questions you should have, like what's inside the human body? Uh? Just right, just you should circle the answer that says tubes.
Speaker 3: But what if from being the gecko suit so long, your anatomy has changed. I don't know. I think we have to maybe check it. I think we have to open you man.
Speaker 2: Oh my, all right, this is this call has officially gone too far.
Speaker 3: It's name of science. You don't want to improve the studies and human gecko people?
Speaker 2: You know what? You know what I'll do? You know what I'll do is when I die, here's what I'll do for you. So what's your name again, Santiago. Here's what I'll do for your Santiago. If you ever decide that you do on a to a career in the medical industry, I will pledge that when I die, you may have my body to dissect for your research.
Speaker 3: S arety sure that if to call you in five years from now and as you hate you, remember your promise of hitting your gig a body to say.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, hold on, I'm only twenty six years old, all right, I'm not I haven't been. I mean, I could die in the next five years. Who knows. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Sorry what we're saying, Yeah, I'm just saying, if you if you do this promise, you have plushed your body to Gecko sayings, so you have to actually do it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not gonna actually do it and stuff. When I die, I want I want to. I don't know what I want them to do with me when I die. I guess just I guess do I guess I'm dead, I guess you get Who gives a fuck? You can just now I'll get buried. You don't have to like freeze me or anything. I can just but but I don't want to be buried in a cough and I want to just be thrown into the ground. You know, I feel like coffins kind of fuck you up, because like you want to be you want to be You want to be buried right into the ground so that you can like grow into a flower and ship like that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You know, you can become a tree after to day.
Speaker 2: Really, okay, I want to do that. That sounds awesome. It sounds way better than being a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I take a product where they take your body and they put it like in the brown. I don't know how it exactly it works, but you end up like being the seat for a tree and it grows from your body.
Speaker 2: So maybe, all right, I formally retract my offer to you, Santiago, and I replace it with a desire to become a tree.
Speaker 3: So you will be a geka tree and you will grow gekas from your leaves.
Speaker 2: I think you're ready for this test, huh, I said, I think you're ready for this test. You've showed a great amount of knowledge on a on on trees and geckos.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, if the Christians are really big, I think it probably is it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else? Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe even if foxed Up happens, if you learn from it, maybe it's not that bad. I mean, at the end of the day, everything that happens, if it gives you acknowledge or something that can help you avoid those chitty situations again. Maybe it was worth living it, even though it seems shitty at the time.
Speaker 2: Santiago. I hope when I die that you will visit my tree and take of my geckos.
Speaker 3: Hopefully I will do hopefully in a long time and not too soon.
Speaker 2: Have a good night, Santiago.
Speaker 3: All right, man, you.
Speaker 2: Two can geckos grow on trees.
Speaker 3: All from bars Hie.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hi, Hey, what's your name? I'm Lee?
Speaker 1: Lee?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Lee?
Speaker 2: How can I get you today?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: My goodness, I got a lot going on Tomorrow. I'm gonna ask my roommate if she can leave, and I'm very nervous. I am not a confrontational person at all, and just so my partner can move in.
Speaker 2: You're gonna ask your roommate if they can leave so your partner can move in? Yes, uh, okay, tell me, is it like what is it a two bedroom? One bedroom?
Speaker 5: It's a two bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you're gonna ask your roommate to leave. Do you have any like grounds to do that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: I was in the apartment first, and then she moved in. I was been here for about a year before she moved in, so it's my second year here. Basically, I mean it's kind of my place, and she just rents room in there. There's I mean, we're both on the lease.
Speaker 2: So, oh do you want it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't. So you were just there first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and her name's on the lease, yeah, both of our names.
Speaker 2: Is when did when does the lease expire? When does the lease renew?
Speaker 5: Well, it ended in Well we renewed it in July. But it's kind of a just more of like a come and go type of thing. Is just we sign a new lease if someone else wants to move in.
Speaker 2: So like she's not on the hook for like, she's not gonna have to Well I guess she wouldn't because you could find us some letter. But like, but hold on, So I guess I still don't understand how you have the grounds to tell her that she has to leave.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not I'm not asking. I'm gonna ask her to leave. I'm not telling her to leave. I'm gonna request if she can find a new place, you know, give her own time to leave. I'm just very nervous about that.
Speaker 2: Why don't why don't you find a new place.
Speaker 5: It's I'm I'm in a pretty big city and it's a really, really good rent for a two bedroom, and I don't think I would be able to.
Speaker 3: Afford another place for that.
Speaker 2: Do you do you think she'll be able to do that?
Speaker 5: She's definitely in a better spot just because she's just looking for a one bedroom and I know she has a lot of connects in the city.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's probably way better.
Speaker 5: She's probably in a better spot than I am.
Speaker 2: All right, what do you think she's going to say when you ask her to leave?
Speaker 5: I don't know. We're the type of roommates where we don't really talk aside from just the interactions we have when in like the communal area. She's a very nice person, which is why I really don't want to do it, But it's something that I, you know, I would desire the outcome for.
Speaker 3: I guess, can I can?
Speaker 2: I be very honest with you, Yeah, it it really doesn't sound like you have any grounds to ask her to leave.
Speaker 5: I guess you're right. That's and that's why I'm nervous. I And it's more of just she she can say no, like and that's my whole thing, and just kind of shooting my shot. And if she says no, then I I guess, you know, I'll have to look for my own place.
Speaker 3: I'm not kicking her.
Speaker 2: Out, Okay, I mean, yes, you don't have any grounds to kick her out. I guess you know what, Okay, I guess theoretically, sure, if you can shoot your shot and ask her to leave, and if she says no, deal with the answer. I guess. I guess theoretically you can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it does. I mean it doesn't. There's no incentive for her to leave, I guess, other than no longer being in a place where her roommate doesn't want her there. But it doesn't sound like you guys even have that much interaction.
Speaker 5: No, No, I am, I'm very aware of that. I yeah, I just cause not going the way I guess it would have thought it would have gone.
Speaker 2: But if you're moving in with a partner, why don't you just go find a one bedroom? You'd probably be paying Yeah, I mean shit, if it's you and your partner, you'd probably be paying less than what you'd be paying at the place you're at right now. So why don't you just find a one bedroom?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, with current rates, I'm basically paying a lot less with the two bedroom than I would with a one bedroom letl on a studio. Where are you at I'm in.
Speaker 2: La, okay.
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: And would your partner pay rent?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: So are you interested in like sharing a room or a bed with your partner?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I mean we kind of he kind of already does that, and that's that's what I'm saying. Ideally we would like both bedrooms. But if that doesn't work out, then you know, that's life because I have really I obviously have no ground on it.
Speaker 3: You know, she pays rent, I pay rent. She has total right to say.
Speaker 2: No, which but so but your I guess what I don't understand is your if you were to leave and find a new find a one bedroom in LA and share that one bedroom with your partner, you'd probably pay less money than if you were sharing a two bedroom.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Yes, and no, I'm paying like so to be upfront, I'm paying two thousand for or well total of two thousand for two bed, two baths. And that's how much of one at most a one bedroom.
Speaker 3: Is let alone a studio.
Speaker 2: You know that actually is not completely crazy, that that actually does not sound Yeah, that does not sound wild. Yeah, I could see, I can see. I can see a universe where a one bedroom and I can see a universe where the costs are negligible. Sure, why not?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I guess that's kind of why I want to shoot my shot, because I like this place. It's in a good location and it's dirt cheap, and I mean, obviously, if that doesn't work out, then yeah, that's that's how it's gonna work. You know, I'll have to do something else. But you know, it's because the situation right now for me with Rant is so cheap, as I guess that's why I even had the thought of even doing that, because I would I would never even think of the day where I would ask a roommate to leave, except for the certain current circumstances.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean, like, I don't know, dude, I guess you I fucking I guess you can ask. But it's kinda there's it's kind I think it's kind of stupid, but I guess you can ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: And at the same time, it's going to make her uncomfortable, which is why I don't want to fucking do it. At the same time, which is why I'm currently in the still MA college.
Speaker 2: Are you asking me my advice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I've talked to people in my life and it's just kind of kind of got it mixed, uh signals.
Speaker 2: Okay, what the what are the people in your life tell you?
Speaker 5: So, my my dad told me, he was like, because I've had I've been in really bad roommate situations up to the point where I had to see an old roommate because they didn't pay their share of rent. And so he was like, do you finally have a good roommate And in the chances that you break up with your partner, you're gonna have to find another roommate, and chances are you could be in another bad situation. So it's like, you finally secured a good roommate, do you really want.
Speaker 2: To get rid of that? Okay? Yeah, but okay, look dude, if your heart is set on moving within with your partner, you should probably get a new place.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, definitely, And that's yeah, I definitely will look into that. But it's right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would I would leave your roommate alone. Okay, thanks, gig, all right, anything else?
Speaker 3: Uh no, thanks for taking my call?
Speaker 2: All right, take care dog. See hello, folks, it's Lyle here. That's the end of this episode. But get this, I'm releasing a bonus episode this week. That's right, an entire extra hour of the podcast that you can listen to. By becoming a premium member of Therapy Gecko over at therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Supercast subscribers get access to bonus episodes, They get a completely ad free podcast feed of the regular show, they get recordings from my live shows, members only streams, and they help support my ability to continue doing this podcast. So here's a clip from this week's members only bonus episode. Hi, So, on my boyfriend's porn, he creates porn.
Speaker 4: His content did with one person.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, and he okay, so in the past he has created porn.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And he told you immediately immediately that he has porn of himself on the internet. Yeah, and you were like that's cool, that's fine, that's whatever. No, I was like you like you were like, all right, I get it, it's not great, but whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, all right, Like this is the very nice person okay. So yeah, and like it's actually I guess my biggest problem now is that it's just like really hot to me.
Speaker 2: Why is I don't understand why this is a problem. If you want to hear this full conversation, you can sign up to become a premium member at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com, or find the link in the episode description that's Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot All right, I have nothing else to say. The Repken goes on the line taking your phone calls every.
Speaker 3: Night, Therapy Can goes doing his ride.
Speaker 2: Who's teaching you a house to the mo of your life? Money's not ready, an expert