Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode canad It spoilers for.
Speaker 1: Ten Spider Man movies, Wild and various other MCU properties. Hello, my name is Jason Sims and I'm Rosie Knife, and welcome back to the extra division of the podcast where we dive with your favorite shows, movies, coments, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: Coming from my r where we're ringing you three episodes three.
Speaker 3: But today we are counting down the days to.
Speaker 1: Return of the Avengers with.
Speaker 4: Another episode of our impending Doomsday series. Today we are focusing on everyone's favorite wool crawler and Marvels perennial number one character, Spider Man.
Speaker 3: Spider Man, a man does whatever spied it can.
Speaker 4: We're gonna look at the history of the Spider Man with the iconic Jason recap of the different movie iterations of Spider Man as we know them, then we will have them.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be having an.
Speaker 4: MCU debate joined by Ian and Aaron to talk about the biggest Spider Man questions, and of course we'll be looking ahead to brand new day Doomsday and Secret Wars.
Speaker 1: Right we start in two thousand and two with Spider Man directed by Sam Raimi Oh, screenplay by David Coke.
Speaker 3: Game changer.
Speaker 1: Remember the first time you saw that in the cinema, I was blown away and I loved it so much. This is, of course Toby Maguire Spider Man. We opened in Queen's. Peter Parker, mild mannered high school senior lives with old old sexy.
Speaker 2: No, this is pre this is.
Speaker 1: Very very old Aunt May, very very wise old Uncle Ben. He is in love with the girl next door, Mary Jane. He gets bitten by a radioactive spider at a trip to the Columbia Genetics Lab, and you know what happens next? He gets really strong, he can climb walls. He goes to test his powers in an underground wrestling match, fights a guy. But what happens next, Rosie tragically, tragically, he fails to stop a robber who robs the wrestling match of cash because the wrestling from a stole from Peta. So I was like, not my problem, it's not my business, none of my business.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what that guy shoots Uncle Ben. Uncle Ben dies in pear. Can I just say? Can I just say? He? At this point, that's what we know.
Speaker 3: To be true.
Speaker 4: But as we learn, in spite of about three at.
Speaker 1: This point, this is what we really so Peter then comes to recognize that with great power becomes great responsibility and he gets the suit.
Speaker 2: He puts it on.
Speaker 1: Norman Osborne is his best friend. Is his best friend, Harry's dad, Harry Osbourne, Peter's friend.
Speaker 2: Norman.
Speaker 1: Norman takes an unstable supercilsier serum and turns into the Green Goblin and tries to kill Peter, but they fight and he gets impaled on his own glider and dies. But Harry, Peter's friend, blames Peter and Spider Man and al Harry is going to become a problem. Atto Octavius, brilliant scientist, fuses for autonomous mechanical arms to his final column in a in a bizarre fusion experiment, and he becomes evil and kind of like even more brilliant than he was.
Speaker 4: Because they possess him right, They kind of become a symbiotic they add.
Speaker 1: To his brain power or something, but still is there's some goodness in him. Peter thinks that and tries to like talk him into returning to being a good guy. They fight all across the city. It goes badly kind of for Peter, but Peter is always believing that Otto can become a good guy again, and then to save the city, Auto drowns himself. Crazy Peter starts dating MJ and things are pretty good. Then Flint Marco escaped convict, falls into a particle accelerator and becomes the Sandman. Obviously, obviously that's what happened. Turns out guess what, oh my he was shot, I'll gole bed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The original Robert Dennis Karridine was just like the Batman. His buddy I got and why did he do it?
Speaker 4: Is because his door was sick and the only way to get the money was to shoot Uncle Ben and awesothing sad times.
Speaker 1: Also, while this is happening, an alien symbiote has crashed oh on a meteor and it finds peerre In. It bonds with him, and it turns him into an asshole just like in Superman three, and he.
Speaker 2: Becomes a dick.
Speaker 1: He dances down the street, but eventually he finds like the internal moral fire to reject the symbio. The symbiote finds.
Speaker 4: Any barrisses Mary Jane doing EMBARRASSADM terrible.
Speaker 1: The symbiote finds Eddie Brocken. They become they become Venom, Tarifa Grey's crazy costing Crazy Harry is now the Goblin in the Next Goblin, and he dies saving Peter in the final fight. Peter mj end up together and that's the end of the trilogy until many many many years later in the MCU we go to the Amazing Spider Man. Uh Any any final thoughts about the I just.
Speaker 3: Want to say they got so much, so much happened in this.
Speaker 4: I also want to say us the tradition of X Men, where the second one is the like generally seen as the best one, right like the you Took It, which is very sam Raimi third one actually really fun.
Speaker 3: I still rewatch it.
Speaker 4: It's total trash, has the most like memeable moments. But you can tell how much Sam Raimi hates Venom and did not want to include him in the.
Speaker 1: Movie did so you can really feel it.
Speaker 4: But I mean, just an incredible run and hard to explain to those of you who weren't even born in two thousand and two, and I know there's many of you listening. I love many people who weren't born in two.
Speaker 1: Thousand and two, Like.
Speaker 4: This was a cultural phenomenon, Like we came out of that first movie and we were like, oh shit, they could make twenty five of these and we would watch them every single month, Like it felt like a comic book comes.
Speaker 2: Back to life.
Speaker 1: The first It's hard to explain to people who weren't there, what a cultural moment The Spider Man Mary Jane Kiss was where she were She's upside down and she like pulls the mask up. That was like, we have not It's actually like a steamy moment that comic books have not touched.
Speaker 4: Again, but movies have not managed to do it, you know, like you need to get back there.
Speaker 1: We need to get back there, like and you.
Speaker 4: Know the legendary wet t shirt with the hard nipples and the upside down kiss, like the MCU will Kevin fight you us at a dro De house if you do that.
Speaker 1: But we need to change that. We need to let be sexy.
Speaker 2: Let be sexy. Okay.
Speaker 1: Up next The Amazing Spider Man well late okay, so ten years off right, directed by but only like what would only like three three years off? End of the Lost Right directed by wink wink Mark Webb. I Thought Fame a screenplay by James Vanderbilt Alan sergeant and Steve Close, different universe, different Peter. His parents, younger Richard and Mary Parker, are both scientists working on top secret, oh weird corporate potentially defense department type of stuff, and they disappeared when he was a kid under mysterious circumstances.
Speaker 4: Crazy that they chose that origin for the parents the spy.
Speaker 1: I always love that. I always it's.
Speaker 4: So crazy, and I always there's a lot of just odd choices they make in the amazing movies that I think actually age like.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 3: And I also love that he's like Emo Pete A. Parka.
Speaker 1: He's like cool, he's.
Speaker 4: An inventor, he's a skateboarder, he's like sassy.
Speaker 3: He listens to like indie.
Speaker 1: Rock, so he is cooler. He's dumped of course with Aunt May and Uncle Ben. He's he's just kind of like, you know, a fallout boy, my chemical romance type of guy, skateboarding, etcetera. He sneaks into Oscorp on a forged I D to investigate what happened to his parents. A spider bites him, same old thing. He turns the web this time, though, builds his own web shooters in the in the bedroom because he's a brilliant engineer. Uncle Ben dies the exact same way. Peter lets the thief go, the thief shoots Ben, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. He falls in love with Gwen Stacy this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to put my annoying ass like leftist take on this that I think there's always a problem with Uncle Ben.
Speaker 1: Why do they always.
Speaker 4: Lean into this ideas or if you let a criminal go, they're gonna murder someone. It's like such a stupid plot line, But I also get why they do it. I feel like that's what I love about the MCU want And actually I believe recently Jon Favreau or Kevin Feige actually confirmed this. In the MCU universe, Peter is not to blame for Uncle Ben's death, and I actually really like, of course, but like.
Speaker 3: He's gonna take it.
Speaker 1: He's gonna he's gonna take he's gonna take it. Personally, well, Peter's gonna take it. Peter's gonna believe that he's responsible because that's yeah exactly. He falls in love with Gwen Stacy Emma Stone, who they ended up being in a relation in real.
Speaker 3: Life, and the chemistry was crazy.
Speaker 1: It was it was crazy because they realized coming into this series that you need that, yes, exactly, Peter Parker's love interest. There's gotta be that you can't.
Speaker 4: Also, let's see this happened as well with you know, obviously Tom and Zendea movie. It's it's one of those like iconic OTP like endgame ships, right. I have to say I also find it so funny that they cost someone who was one of the most famous redheads in the world at this point, Emma Stone, and they cost her, and they and they made her a blonde character instead of.
Speaker 1: Making her MJ me too.
Speaker 4: I love it because they also do it a lot in comic book movies. This is like a big thing, this kind of inversion of like what people are expecting.
Speaker 1: I think it's smart for I think it was smart for Emmastone's career. She had had like an eat your run as a redhead you gotta switch.
Speaker 4: And she's naturally blonde too, so it was actually kind of like a return.
Speaker 3: But I loved that.
Speaker 4: I think that the she brings such a humor and like silliness, but also like an emotional maturity.
Speaker 3: It's such a.
Speaker 4: More complex and layered representation of Peter Parker's girlfriend than we got in the original Spider Man movies the Toby Maguire wants.
Speaker 3: But that's not to be negative.
Speaker 4: I think both Peter and MJ and those are kind of flat characters because it's very like old school comic book It's like do your thing. This is a lot more engaged with the emotional trauma of trying to have a double life, which is such a big part of Spider Man, and I think that's why this one still hits.
Speaker 1: Kurt Connors, his Peter's father's former colleague, injects himself with a reptile DNA because he's missing an army's trying to regrow it back, and lizards famously can regrow their limbs. He becomes the lizard, which is kind of you know, in lizard form. He is still kind of smart, but a much more evil version of himself.
Speaker 4: He's like a sick humanoid, like if kill a crook was also a super smart scientist, Like.
Speaker 1: It's a Jecculine Heights situation.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, good way of putting it.
Speaker 1: Peter beats him Captain Stacy Gwen. Stacy's police officer dad dies in the fight and makes Peter promise to stay away from going to keep her safe. Peter breaks the promise because he loves that Gwen, Stacy, Max, Dylan and Oscorpe electrical engineer falls into a tank of mutated eels and becomes electro.
Speaker 2: Harry Osborne, dying of.
Speaker 1: A genetic disease, injects himself with super Soldier spider venom and becomes the Green Goblin. There's a final fight in the clock tower. Harry drops Gwen and has to make a big choice. He shoots a web to catch her, but the sudden stop snaps her neck as it catches her, and she dies in his arms.
Speaker 4: Gives us one of the funniest moments from any superhero movie, which is when he shoots the web and it becomes a hand trying to grab her, which is like just so bad. I also want to say I criticize Peter about this in every version. I need to do it again here because my biggest issue, just cininically narratively with this choice is this man is constantly just like creating a spiderweb trampoline underneath people. Why didn't he do it in that moment, Like why did he catch her and break the net?
Speaker 1: There was only moments. Yeah, but yes, I agree with you. He could have done other things, but there was you know, there was he was he had to do two things. He was multitasking. He was multitasking. He's a teenage boy. I get it. We go to yes, of course.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say one of my other big takeaways from because you know me, I rewatch all these movies a lot. I rewatch every movie a lot. I actually am always really impressed and unsettled. It's not something I particularly enjoy. The opening of Amazing Spider Man two, where they set up Electro is like so consistently heartbreaking because Jamie Fox does such a good job kind of creating this like Lona outside a character, and when he meets Spider Man and Spider Man like doesn't remember him and sees him as a villain.
Speaker 1: There's so much heartbreak.
Speaker 4: It's not fun for me to watch because I find myself feeling quite upset. But I do think they really created like a much more complicated and sad version of like a very out there, silly character, and it was nice to see him get to be a bit more cool and kind of classical Electro when they did bring them all back, you know.
Speaker 1: Captain America Civil War twenty sixteen, the Russo brothers. Tony flies to Queens to pick up sophomore in high school, fourteen year old Peter Parker, who.
Speaker 2: Has been Spider Man for a little while. Uncle Man is dead.
Speaker 1: It may is hot. He has a crush on MJ and he idolizes Tony Stark because they're both really into science. And Peter is a brilliant scientist, but up and coming scientist, and of course Tony Stark is already a scientist. This is in the wake of the destruction of at the in the kind of climax of Avengers age of Ultron. Captain America and his dissonant superheroes are on the run, and so Tony needs allies.
Speaker 2: He goes to New York. He gets Peter.
Speaker 1: They fight in the airport at Germany.
Speaker 2: Peter does okay, but.
Speaker 1: And you've got to get fourteen year old well, he's really good at what he does, and and Peter Peter does okay against the grown up Avengers, but ultimately Cap gets away and we go to Spider Man homecoming. Peter's back in Queens. He wants to be an Avenger Tony won't let him be an Avenger. Adrian Toombs salvage contractor, builds a flying suit out of the Chatari scrap technology that he's been finding after the Battle of New York and selling to various underworld groups. He becomes the Vulture. He's been selling alien tech and stuff on the black market. Peter investigates. Turns Toombs is the dad of his crush, Elizabeth gets buried under a building during the fight classic Steve ditko Art. He lifts it off himself. He becomes Spider Man. He stops Adrian Tooms. Tony offers Peter a spot on the Avengers, like basically as a publicity stunt. Peter says no, Tony's proud of him. Peter goes home and aunt May finds him in the suit. They go to the Fuck Yeah, We go to Infinity War. Peters on the bus going to school. He's probably fourteen fifteen at this point. He sees the spaceship over Manhattan. He goes to figure out what's going on. He swings into the fight. Tony tries to send him home. Peter sneaks into the air to the spacecraft as it is lifting off, and they end up on Titan with Doctor Strange and the Guardians of the.
Speaker 2: Galaxy post Iron Man. They fight Thanos.
Speaker 1: They almost win, except so much much win, but Peter quill Like gets it and his feelings and he ruins it and and Thanos beats them. Go to endgame. Peter has been snapped for five years. He's brought back by the Avengers after the time heist. The big fight at the end of the movie, Thanos gets beaten. Peter has some really wonderful moments where he's swinging around with the Infinity Gauntlet across the battlefield. We get to see his new scarlet Spider suit going to kill mode. But at the end of it, his mentor and hero in life, Tony Stark, kills himself to snap with the Infinity Gauntlet and kill Thanos and put everything you know right in the world and destroy the Stones, and Peter goes to the funeral Spider Man. Far from home, Peter's grieving the loss of his mentor. He goes to a school trip to Europe because he wants to cross. He tells MJ that he's a crusher. Quentin Beck, a disaffected Stark Industries employee with a chip on his Shoulder uses illusion tech to fake himself into being this like alien hero from an alternate dimension named Mysterio.
Speaker 2: Kind of.
Speaker 1: Deep faking things that will happen eventually in the Marvel universe. Nick Fury recruits Peter to do something about this. Peter trusts, Peter trusts Beck kind of he gives.
Speaker 3: To He's wait a minute, maybe this guy knows what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need an avenger, maybe we need a new Tony gives Tony's posthumous gift a pair of glasses called Edith with ai access to start Global Servilles weapons talk.
Speaker 4: Why did you give a teenage new clear ways, he's not teenager. Give it to your wife, give it to Gwyneth Paltrow, your fucking idia.
Speaker 1: He's a child. He's very strange to do that.
Speaker 4: We the gloss and he's sag off like bombs in fucking Italy, causing some fucking international incidents.
Speaker 2: He's calling in drone strikes from the bus. Mysterio.
Speaker 1: However, we all know he's a villain. He uses Edith to fake an attack on London. Peter takes him down. There's some really cool maybe the coolest, like Spider Man, a spidy sense moment here Beck is an illusion and acts like he's beaten, but really the real Beck is invisible and is about to shoot Spider Man in the head, but he realizes it and flinches. It's so cool and it's a blink if you blink and you'll miss it moment. I think it's maybe the best Spidy sense moment in the That and the Toby Maguire the car flying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Peter takes down Mysterio, gets Edith back, kisses everything on the bridge. Mysterio in the post credits, releases a doctored video framing Peter for his murder and outing his secret idea any of the World. J Jonah Jamison gets an erection that like bursts through the fucking side of the skyscraper of the you know, the Daily Bugle Building, and we go into No Way Home. Peter's life is a mess in No Way Home. Everybody else, Spider Man, MJ and Ned can't get into MI I T because they're associated with this mass vigilante. Peter goes to doctor Strange and is like, you're a magician. We've worked together closely. Can you do some ship where like everybody doesn't know I'm strangers like, m that's a very powerful spell you're describing. That's very interesting. That's very dangerous. We shouldn't do it, but like I'll do it anyway. But yeah, he's like, it's kind of fun. So maybe it's kind of fun.
Speaker 2: I've never done.
Speaker 1: Something like this.
Speaker 2: I'd like to say.
Speaker 1: Peter keeps interrupting and fucking it up because hold on my memory, but MJ remembering because I'm trying to I'm trying to fuck and also Ned, my best red, Ned should like remember and Strange like loses focus and he loses control of the spell and the spelled us in a race every Peter Parker. It pulls in every Peter Parker from the various dimensions, entered, Tomy Maguire, enter Andrew Garfield, still handsome, oh still, but who also comes?
Speaker 2: It's the villains.
Speaker 1: Norman Osbourne is pulled in from the Spider Man movies just before his death. Auto Octavius is also pulled in from Spidey two, still with the Arms. Max Dylan Electro is pulled in from Amazing Spider Man two, and Connor's Lizard is pulled in from Amazing Spider and one. Flint Marco the Sandman is pulled in from Spider Man. Now Peter with m J and Ned decide he can't just send them back to their deaths. Okay, I like it. I appreciate that he's going to help them. He's going to cure them, such a piece off from all the bad things that are happening to them. And you know, he truly a heroic moment. He's doing things the hard way, which you have to love about. Peter, MG and Ned, trying to find Peter, accidentally open a portal with Stranger's sling ring through it. Walks Andrew Garfield. Andrew Garfield, amazing Spider and Peter. A minute later, Toby Maguire, Peter come in. Now there's three Spider Men there, all looking at each other, at each other. They work together, They finish the cures together. They lure the villains to the Statue of Liberty. They fix Norman, they fix Auto, they fix Matt, they fix Kurt, they fix Flint. They send them home as the men they were before their powers, and to live.
Speaker 2: A normal life. But in the middle of the fight, Norman, who has been.
Speaker 4: He's been getting green Goblin inside his skull.
Speaker 1: The green gobblin mask has been speaking to him still, and he knocks MJ off the scaffolding. She falls, Tom holland Peter is pinned. Andrew Garfield Peter the guy who failed to save when catches her, thus closing that loop in the line. He cries, He's it's a huge emotional moment for him. But the multiverse is still getting fucked up. We're seeing an early version of you know, this collapse of the multiverse. Strange can't hold the thing together. The only fixes a much bigger spell which will make everyone everywhere, at every universe forget that Peter Parker was a guy. And Peter's like, fine, do it, because we have to save the multiverse. He says goodbye to MJ and queens and he's like, I'll promise I'll come back for you and all this and it hits and it works, and that leads us into brand new day and catch us up. The beautiful Aunt May, gorgeous Aunt.
Speaker 4: May, she's gone who by the way in in the Lost movie and knowing him, she says the real line from the comics, which is not with great power comes great responsibility, And she says it correctly, And I love Marsa Toome and rip to sexy on We Miss You, Bring how Back?
Speaker 1: She's gone. She's gone but not forgotten. MJ along with everybody, Ned, etc. Have no idea who the fuck Peter is. They've never seen who's this guy? He's gone happy, none of the adventures. Nobody knows who he is. He's gone, apparently, according to Trailers, living a very kind of like marginal existence, like barely paying rent, new suit, no nano tech, just cloth suit and Peter Parker the classic Spider Man set up. Let's take a break when we're back to.
Speaker 2: Talk about Spider Man. And we're back. Please welcome Ian to the program. Please welcome Aaron to the program.
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, Hello, your favorite, your favorite portrayal of Peter Parker.
Speaker 2: Let's start with you. Ian.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's a tie for me between or it's a toss up between Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. I think they both do different things really well, but I think Tom is the best at portraying the like science, the genius aspect of of Peter. You know, he's like building all the stuff using the stark tech, like making all the equipment, especially in No Way Home, where he's like doing all those experiments to like save all the multiversal villains and they all work together, which is a nice moment. But I think the capturing that like angsty teen vibe. I think Andrew Garfield was the best at that. And then the chemistry he had with Emma Stone too. I think that's the best like romantic side of Peter Parker that we've seen. It just felt the most believable.
Speaker 6: I was like, this feels like a guy, you know, maybe exactly in the trailer, like making each other fucking like wooden rocking chairs or whatever.
Speaker 7: You know, I felt it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I just I just love It's like you cast Andrew Garfield like, listen, he can't be that nerdy, we can't. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's.
Speaker 2: Your favorite spider Man. Favorite Peter Parker not Spider Man, right, favorite Peter Parker. I think my favorite Peter might be Toby. Okay, I think that.
Speaker 4: You're quite a young fellow to have that opinion. Tell us more.
Speaker 2: I think that Toby was just that first time seeing it on the big screen, which impacts my viewing of it. But I have loved different elements of all of them. I think, you know, Ian has a really great point, like Garfield does this quippy, kind of depressed, dejected feel like pretty well. And I loved how Tom. I love Tom's relationship with Ned and MJ, and like him being on school field trips. All of that felt so perfect for that portrayal of Peter. And then Toby just kind of felt like the most like normal, sad, sacky kind of guy who's like I got, you know, Joe Manjanello or whatever his name pushed me, you know, like in many things with Toby where he just like kind of got beat up a lot, and that's what it works. And I just call him.
Speaker 3: We call him Charlie Brown. Charlie Brown. Peter Parker in this House like.
Speaker 2: And just like that first time he realizes he has powers is one of the most exciting Spider Man movies.
Speaker 3: But Danny is like, I'm real too, Rosie.
Speaker 2: What about you? Who's your favorite Parker? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do think I have to.
Speaker 4: I like all of them that I think obviously. Uh, you know, Toby was the one I grew up with. I saw Andrew in my twenties. I thought that was really good. But I am a Tom Holland die Hard because I do think for me when I'm reading the comics the Peter I care about most, which hasn't been around for a long time, Like he's kind of perennially in his twenties. Now he's a teacher, he's at college. But I love teenage Peter Parky. I wanted to see him in school. I want to see him as a.
Speaker 1: Kid who loves his community.
Speaker 4: I think that those movies are the best grassroots like street level Spider Man that we've got, and they don't play into some of the more trophy pulpy elements like the uncle Ben getting killed by the robber who immediately becomes a murderer if you let him free, you know. Instead we get this like kind of contemporized version, which you know, we've talked about this a lot.
Speaker 1: Part of the reason it's so.
Speaker 4: Good is because a lot of it's just stolen from Miles Morales ned is gangk That the moment with the when they drop the Star Wars lego of the death starts directly from Miles's comic, you know, so they took a lot, But I do think that for me, like that is the best representation because what aside from you know, Kamala Kahan and obviously we love her and she was Marvel's reinvention of a street level hero.
Speaker 3: Those are the two.
Speaker 4: Like teenagers that we get doing stuff like they could be in the Champions team like and also the thing I'm most excited about now, it's gonna be you know, Mjason college and it's clear and and like Peter and they're both in their like nineteen twenties. I want them to let them be in love. I want them to let mj become hot. I want them to then there is like a fucking supermodel, like, let her be that version of MJ.
Speaker 1: Let Peter be the bombs just proved to her.
Speaker 4: They've always played her more like the tomboy if you actually look.
Speaker 3: They've never had like in the first two movies.
Speaker 4: They've never had her be the face it tiger you hit the jackpot.
Speaker 1: But I think they're gonna Dows exactly.
Speaker 3: I think They're gonna let her have the red head.
Speaker 1: Tell me about it, Peter boom boom boom boom. But yeah, I I do.
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm a.
Speaker 3: Tom Stan after all these years, Jason, what about you?
Speaker 1: Who's your favor?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Tom Holland I think is the best all around. Like if you all the all the parts of the pie that make up a Peter Parker. He's got the look, he's got the quippiness, he's got them, just the boyishness that said, he's earnest. I don't think anything can top Toby maguire post the bite flexing in the mirror that first time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so it was so like.
Speaker 1: The face doesn't match the body first of all. So it is shocking and it feels like a real transformation, Like it felt so dramatic.
Speaker 4: The first time you see him using like the webs to fly through that is unreal, like we had game yet we hadn't.
Speaker 1: Flexing his bicep in the mirror and being like, oh my god, I look like this. It just it was such a moment for me. It's the iconic transformation, like Peter to Spider Man, the transformation that the embodying the powers and making it real and making you feel like what he must be feeling like in that moment. And so that Spider Man one just has a special place in my I love him Spider Man one. I think the transformation is is amazing in general. Now, who what's our favorite portrayal of Spider Man and this is animated, this is live action, This is like.
Speaker 2: In universe. Yeah, any anything multi dimensional.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm not trying to I'm not trying to give Shama more like I'm not trying to hand it to him because he's It turns out that he's not like he's He's been annoying Haley Steinfeld in real life. Not Haley oh no, he was bothering Haley Steinfeld who play Spider.
Speaker 2: He was also bothering.
Speaker 4: Time and then Liz Oh no, no, that was after Bibe. He's stalked Tailey for like years. Anyway, we don't have to concerned.
Speaker 1: I'll just say, like I'm concerned about I want him, I want him to have people in his corner.
Speaker 4: But I do think, unquestionably, I think Mars Morales in the Spider Use movies is by far the best Spider Man we've ever had. I think it captures the street level version. I think it captures the notion of the coming of age transformation. I think it understands in both movies the horror of the loss. I also think it's subversive because it questions the nature of do we have to allow a tragedy to happen? Do these canon events have to happen or can we make the world better?
Speaker 1: What do we do? Do we accept our fate?
Speaker 3: Do we change it?
Speaker 4: I think he is the Spider Man with the most agency. He is the Spider Man who impresses the most and just visually, I rewatch all of these movies, but I think I get the most pleasure and like artistic fulfillment when I rewatch those movies, Like every single frame is just so stunning. So I think for me, it's just that's that's the peak, and I do feel like live action Spider Man. And obviously the fact that so much was taken from Miles for Tom Holland Spider Man does put the MCU in a little bit of a weird place when they inevitably bring Miles into the MCU in the coming few years.
Speaker 1: So I really want them to capture it.
Speaker 4: But I do think for me, if I'm piging a singular Spider Man, even though I love the nineties animated series, I love all of our live actions, I think it's I think that Miles movie just felt like it changed my life when it came out, like as a superhero movie, especially in the second one where they fix the eyes and they stop using cross my eyes in the middle of sentences, and then I was like, this is a perfect movie, Ian, how about you?
Speaker 7: This one's tough.
Speaker 5: But because I was initially gonna say, I think my favorite portrayal of just Spider Man was Andrew Garfield because I feel like he has a kind of like edge to him in a way that the others don't cast that comes through exactly. He has the best quips, He's the funniest by far, I think, and and the web swinging I think in his movies was some of the best we've seen. I think that might change in Brand New Day because I did a lot of practical web swinging on map so good. I'm excited to see that. So I think I'm leaning Andrew is my favorite portrayal of Spider Man we've seen on the big screen. But Rosie, you didn't make a really compelling argument with Miles Moralesis and movies are so good. But I think I'm gonna stick with Andrew because I think he brought the most unique portrayal compared to the other ones.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, Aaron, I'm gonna go with Christopher Daniel Barnes Animated Series Spider Man.
Speaker 7: This is the one.
Speaker 2: His voice is what is in my head with every Spider Man I read. Partly, you know, he's benefiting from having four seasons, so there's so many any stories that are told. His character gets to be man Spider, his character gets.
Speaker 3: To have the.
Speaker 2: Storyline, he interacts with Doctor Stram, gets made everything. So he is my be all and of that for Spider Man, both in suit and out suit. But if we're solely talking live action, I think Tom Holland, depending on the movie, is either my favorite or my least favorite Spider Man, and not his fault, not always his fault, but there are some things where like I think, uh, Tom Holland in Homecoming as well as the second half basically of No Way Home, those are my favorites, and I think actually Far From Home is maybe my least favorite.
Speaker 4: I think that's a general read because I think that was more of a they didn't what to do off.
Speaker 1: I would also say when it comes to.
Speaker 4: Just like someone in a Spider Man suit doing the that it is hard to pick like a son and just one because I do love Mo's but like I also think that introduction of Tom Holland in Civil War is maybe one of the coolest character introductions and does so much to establish who he is and how sassy he is, and how he's not kind of scale young, how young, like.
Speaker 1: He's a baby and he's not a fan, but he is impressed. Like it's so it's really funny.
Speaker 5: Did you imagine if they didn't put that in the trailer and that was a genuine surprise in the theater. To this day, I'm still like, oh, I wish I know. I understand why they did it. They got to say somebody to think about that so much.
Speaker 1: Cinema.
Speaker 4: Well, I was actually gonna say that was something I didn't get to say when we were talking about No Way Home. But I will say I do think also if we're talking about like Ebbs Flows Peaks of the MCU, I think that the Three Spider Man, which everybody had wanted to happen for a long time, was basically known it was going to happen. The cultural impact of that and how it played in the cinema even though everybody knew it was going to happen, was like at the level of endgame. I took my phone to see it on the morning it came out at the shitty little starlight, like tiny, not not stadium seating, like it's one of my favorite movie the is, but it's all flat, dude. People lost that ship. But my favorite part was like at some point somebody showed up I can't remember who it was, like Crossbones or something, and somebody went, it's the Punisher, and that was like my favorite pot.
Speaker 2: It was like the people, who's your favorite Spider Man, spider Man, Spider Man?
Speaker 1: My favorite Spider Man Spider Man. If I had to go overall, I'm gonna go with Peter B. Parker depressed spot Yes, and then live action. I Tolmy Maguire Spider Man. I think is I still think some of the I love Tom Holland as well. Overall, I also happened to believe that nothing has topped the way slinging spider gymnastics of the first two Sam Raimi Spider.
Speaker 2: Manka and I need that. I want the new Spider Man to up their game.
Speaker 7: This is a tie.
Speaker 1: This is a cheat.
Speaker 4: Hairckert on that because like it's not a movie, but I did want to include and Jason kind of touches on it because of what one of the things I think was so great about it. I do want to know about that first Spider Man game, Oh yeah, because like when that came out, so experience playing and swinging through the city was so crazy. And I have to say I loved the voice of Peter that they created in that, and I loved the interactions with his friends, and I love the fact that we got to know more about what what means things to him, you know, the food bank and like obviously the mysteries and getting to see everything.
Speaker 1: I loved in the second one where they kind of.
Speaker 4: Evolved the radio to be that you were getting like tips from your friends instead of following the cops.
Speaker 1: Like I love that.
Speaker 4: I also felt like somebody who loves the you know, Batman Arkham games. That is also probably like my favorite version of Peter that we've gotten to see as like a combat fighter, because there's so much incredible gameplay and combat in that game that we really get to see that gymnastic side of him, but in a way you in an extended way you don't get to see in a movie, like we're rarely going to get.
Speaker 1: Like a forty five minute Spider Man action sequence. It's just not how movies are made.
Speaker 4: But we got to experience that side of Peter's abilities in that game, and I thought they also balanced it with like a fun voice and the empathy in the heart.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to shout out that one too.
Speaker 2: Take a break, We'll be right backupter this with more predictions for Spider Man. Yeah, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Okay, So as we head into doomsday, which we don't know what Peter's fate really is gonna be at the end of brand New Day, but I think we can say anecdotally from the trailer view numbers that Spider Man is far and away the most popular Marvel thing current just nothing else that is this. So what is the move? Because of course this is a co production with Sony, and it seems like both studios are incentivized to keep this rolling. But I'm sure Disney would love it if it was one of their wholly owned properties that was kind of the flagships. So, like, how does Disney and Marvel, how do they manage a world in which their most popular property is not the big question that they fully own and have full control of, Like.
Speaker 3: What do they do? I So I do think that's like a clear answer for this. And I've always said that and I do think it's where it's going to go.
Speaker 1: So I think that you're totally right, Jason.
Speaker 4: You touch on the craziest thing, which is, ever since Spider Man was introduced, that has perennially been Marvel's like top tier A list character. That's why they were able to license the rights to Sony and make money, and all these movies made so much money. I think that what Marvel is going to have to do is they have to move past Peter Parker because they actually my understanding is, while you know Sony has licensing to create a Mars Morale's animated movie, my understanding is that part of the reason that the Sony deal happened anyway was because Marvel knew that legally they could make a Mars Morale's movie that didn't have the word Spider Man in the title and still make a movie about Mars Morales being Spider Man. I think that eventually, when the MCU introduces Mars Morales, if they can do what Spider Verse did with freshness with tone, they could have their own non central to the story.
Speaker 3: Peter Parker, who was can I push back?
Speaker 1: Please? Do I think if I'm in the I don't know the marketing or the accounting division. I'm saying, why if this movie makes a billion zillion bucks Brand New Day, Yes, we would all love a Miles Morales, but it's unproven in live action.
Speaker 2: Why we can't kill Peter.
Speaker 1: No, No, they do both. I there is Miles.
Speaker 4: I think Peter is Miles is mentor in the Sony movies, and then in Disney they just I.
Speaker 1: Don't think that they will do that. I think they will say, let's introduce Miles and see how it goes, and then if we feel like it's working, we can think about somehow handing off to Miles.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I think I think that's how they think.
Speaker 1: These studios are way too risk averse to be like, Peter is making us billions of dollars, Okay, you can just have him back, and we'll just do Miles, an unproven guy.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: Because because I don't think that they're ever gonna like Sony's never gonna own Spider Man, right, that's an ongoing licensing deal, and Marvel owns Miles Morales just like it owns Spider Man.
Speaker 3: I think it's just about how the percentages are gonna be split.
Speaker 4: Up as it goes forward because Sony pays to make the current Spider Man movies, which works out for the MCU, right, because they're paying for them and the MCU makes with us money, but they get to use the Tom Holland Spider Man. It's like, it's really interesting, and I do think that they are going to have to continue doing it, but I do think Marvel is probably consistently thinking how do we not do that? I also wonder if what do you think about this? This is like a this is a fan theory based on what we think about the licensing, Right. We used to talk about this kind of stuff in the comics a lot. But like, do you think there's a version where if the MCU just has Tom Holland not as Spider Man, but as Peter Parker, like in the E for example, Peter Parker's teaching at the X Mansion, Right, it could work if they only have him in there.
Speaker 3: Do you think they don't have to pay Sony anything because it's not Spider Man.
Speaker 4: Like, do you think there's a version where they can just have pizza they just like refer to him, Yeah, and they just don't have him really be a present Spider Man in the MCU side, do they get to use him. I'm interested in those kind of machinations and like negotiations because a lot of times it is about the character name or what thing they first appeared in, and that's why you're allowed to use them. So I'm interested in that.
Speaker 2: Regardless of how the money would break out, I think fans would be upset too much after the first time that Parker shows up and never swings and never shoots away. It would that would not last. And I think I'm I'm actually opposed to you, Rosie, and that I think Marvel should do the gy honis Onto Takoumpo method. You hire Zendea for three more movies. You hire Tom's little brother Harry to have a role in the upcoming movies. You you get everyone, You just get Tom to day in that role. I know Miles is a huge comics character. Spider Bruse movies are huge, But the MCU has failed on all these handoffs going forward so far. They yeah, and I think that they're going to be gun shy about trying to roll off of the one thing that has consistently hit since endgame. So I think that they're going to try to keep Tomminsenda and this as long as possible.
Speaker 4: Well, and that is precedent of Zendea having powers or becoming you know, Jackpot or Spider Woman or whatever version. So if they really wanted to build them in as the forefront of the movies going forward, they could do that for like another ten years.
Speaker 1: So here's where we stand now with the licensing. Sony made Brand New Day, Marvel Co produces, it's distributed by Sony Hollins. Peter Parker can appear in MCU films, which is why the doomsday question is open and this deal is.
Speaker 3: Gone because he's been in Civil War and all those rights.
Speaker 1: The twenty five seventy five split and Brand New Day is the start of a new trilogy. So Holland is confirmed for the next two films that are being planned, Miles Morale now Miles Morales. There was a twenty eleven amendment to the Sony license agreement which made uh.
Speaker 2: This came out during the fucking.
Speaker 1: North Korea at It was so crazy to work in a comic bookshop around the time of the Sony League. The specific test for whether a New Spider Man character falls under the Sony rights or Disney's and apparently Miles as a Spider Man falls under Sony. So Sony owns Miles Morales for live action, Marvel does not.
Speaker 2: They'd have to forge a new deal.
Speaker 4: Forge alow and that was allegedly, allegedly was something that was also negotiated and possibly given to Marvel, given to Sony by Marvel so that Marvel could put Pete Paka in that.
Speaker 1: So a live action Miles Morales movie would be a Sony movie unless they strike some other deal. Now, last year, Kevin Feiey confirmed publicly that Sony has explicitly told Marvel to stay away from Miles Morales. Don't not mentioned don't do it.
Speaker 7: That's what we've heard until they finished the spy Verse trilogy.
Speaker 1: Right, Basically, Yeah, that's what we sa Fig said.
Speaker 2: We've been told to stay away.
Speaker 1: And the reason is pretty straightforward obviously because of like the yes beyond the Spider Verse stuff. So once that's over though, well all of which is to say that's a new that's a new deal. Now do they roll Miles in under the same deal as Spider Man or do they try and renegotiate a different deal. I think if you're an ass I think of your I think of your Disney Legal, which they have like the most, like insane killers like that. I think you say, hey, we love Miles Morales. In no way, shape or form, as popular as Miles is, does his popularity come anywhere close to Spider Man's. So it's got to be a differently shaped deal. I think that will be part of what the conversation.
Speaker 4: I also think Sony is probably specifically holding off to see if beyond the Spider Verse can make a billion dollars or whatever you dream of as the biggest release, and then you can.
Speaker 1: Go to Marvel and go So what was that about? You know, Miles I as an asshole?
Speaker 6: Goal?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's animated.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I mean I agree, like it's I I agree with you, Like I'm not saying what Disney's business is gonna say.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying what I think. I think the whole thing is.
Speaker 4: Like so interesting because it is the only one because of the Sony leaks where we do still get these like funny emails or information dumps or easy to find stuff that for so long was just rumored about these deals.
Speaker 3: So it is really interesting.
Speaker 4: I just don't know, I think Marvel probably has a legal team every single day whose job it is is just trying to get them the ability to not pay Sony to make a Spider Man movie.
Speaker 1: Ian, what do you think they do with if they could bring in Miles Ian and Aaron? How do they do it and is it a standalone Miles or is it as part of like a Spider Men like half like the Batman's stable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, family type situation.
Speaker 5: Like how do they how do they do it in I think the way to introduce him would be like during or after Secret Wars. You know, we have like a multiversal situation. I think you can have the two Spider Man coexist in that like mentor student role. But I think we should it should it should be more than like a one film thing. I think over the course of maybe like two or three films, there's that transition and then maybe in that final one, you know, Tom can can phase.
Speaker 2: Out and then we have exactly and then we have Miles.
Speaker 5: Become the mainline Spider Man. I think that's the way to do it, like a gradual transition, not like one movie.
Speaker 7: Boom, We're done.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: In the comics there was this kind of everyone thought Pete was dead, but Miles was the only one who knew he wasn't dead, and he was his mentor that period, and that is like a really interesting space that I think that kind of leaning towards Aaron. What would you do if you were bringing Miles over? Or do you think that's like not even interesting to you?
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting. I think that I am worried if maybe this is just me being a little more pessimistic about things. The animated movies are so good. Let them continue to be great. Let them be their thing. I like them existing in their pocket Matt Reeves Batman esque universe where that doesn't touch the MCU. I'm totally fine with that. I don't want Oscar Isaac spider Man twenty ninety nine to show up in Secret Wars, right.
Speaker 3: Like I also don't want unless it was animated, I would be happy to stay.
Speaker 2: That could interesting, and I'm gonna it will depend a lot. I think how Sadie Sink is handled in Brand New.
Speaker 4: I was gonna that was gonna be my next big question. How does the Sadie Sink of it all? If she is Jean Gray, how does that change what they do?
Speaker 1: With Spider Man.
Speaker 3: Is that how the mc was trying to create this like mutant offshoot where they don't have to do stuff with Sony, Like, what do you think about that, Aaron?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if if Spider Man is here to play some sort of mentoring role to young mutants like Sadie as Jean Gray, then that will be a really good way to introduce them the X Men set them up to be kind of the cornerstone of the MCU, but also give us this moment of hey, Tom has or like Peter played by Tom has been mentored by Iron Man. Now he's kind of working concurrently with the X Men, who are sort of a similar age, and then he can evolve into the role where he is the true mentor two Miles. I don't think we need to rush to get Miles and like into live acctually. They did it right, Yes, the rush, Yeah, let me It's okay.
Speaker 1: Await, Jason, I want to know that. What do you think the Sadie Sink Jean Gray of it all?
Speaker 4: Like, how do you think that what is MCU's play if they are really introducing her there? Do you think it is about kind of trying to re establish that balance of like, Okay, sure Peter Parker is in our stuff sometimes, but we're gonna put an X Men in your stuff?
Speaker 1: Like is it a power play? Like what do you feel like?
Speaker 4: Or are they just trying to say, hey, we also have these other more popular characters, because the X Men are perennially they're more famous team in common.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they're doing something really smart, which is you're using you know, like a like a hit TV show being used as a lead in for a new team. They're using Spider Man as the lead in for the X Men, and and I think that's really wise. I also think that there is there's weirdly precedent, you know, like the eighties there was a Spider Man and his Amazing Friends in which Spider Man is man. I love that, like best friends with Ice Iceman, Bobby Drake and Angelica Jones Firestar and they just like run around those three. That doesn't make any sense that those three would.
Speaker 4: Be Bonka's like to sell toys choices, but what really well, and maybe that works again, I also think there's another listen Geen Gray, in both the comics and in the movies into varying degrees of success has been depicted as this character who who doesn't fully know herself, which kind of mirrors what Peter.
Speaker 2: Is going through.
Speaker 1: So I do wonder if there's like a double a double kind of thing going where nobody knows who Peter Parker is and Jean Gray knows her either because she's from another dimension or because she's been cut off from her powers or Charles Xavier wiped everybody's memory of her, and they are both dealing with this nobody knows who.
Speaker 3: We are smart I take a lot so and so where does that go?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I do think that we end up in a place where Spider Man is more attached.
Speaker 2: To the X Men than he is in the comics.
Speaker 1: That's why I feel like the mutation aspect.
Speaker 4: Also, I will also ask you I was gonna ask you guys this we but we like in pre pro and in the kind of recent such for this, looking at a lot of the rumors and stuff, obviously we saw the Green Jackal like Mini Keg. So people are asking is the Jackal going to be in it? Do you guys think that the mutation element is going to be like a forced mutation? Do you think that like we're going to have a Spider Queen kind of like trying to mutate the city like Spider Island, Like, do you think that it's just going to be this notion of a natural evolution, some kind of secondary mutation for him.
Speaker 1: What route do you think they're going to go?
Speaker 4: Because if they add it as being a natural secondary mutation, then he really would be an essentially a mutant in this universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ian Aaron, what do you think?
Speaker 5: I think based on the trailers and kind of looking at the comics history of like Spider Queen and Spider Island, as you mentioned Rosie, just for any listeners who are not familiar with that, At ARC the broad Strokes is there's a mutant Adrianasra aka the Spider Queen. She has telepathic powers and she wants to mutate all the citizens of New York into like Spider like creatures. The Jackal, who's also like a geneticist and villain, helps her do that, and so I think basically be.
Speaker 3: A good like he would be like a good cut Connors Riff in this world.
Speaker 2: Like, but that's my problem is it we did we did the lizard trying to make everyone lizards and they joke about it in no way home, like, why would you do the very next Spider Man movie is just a playoff of that a storyline you already did.
Speaker 4: Do you think there's a pisolde where it's a play on multiple different tropes that they all explained they experience.
Speaker 3: So we've seen Tom do the alien, we would get a.
Speaker 4: Riff on the mutated doctor, Like maybe do you think it's like a version where they're gonna make it a look.
Speaker 1: Back at that?
Speaker 3: But I do feel like you're launching a new trilogy, so look forward, do something different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I would just say, like, based on the trailers, like it all does kind of make sense or line up with the major beats of the Spider Island Spider Queen story because in that there's also the natural mutations and this idea of the organic webbing all all that stuff, and so to me, like that that is like a deeper cut. So it would be interesting for them to like go with that storyline and like where do they go from there? But then there's also links to Secret Wars, so it could make sense because we know Sadie Sink is coming back for Secret Wars, So to me, that makes more sense in having her be Jean Gray in the Spider Man movie, because.
Speaker 7: I'm just like, what is the connection there? How's that going to work? But who knows?
Speaker 5: Like that that could be their ultimate swerve, And like you said, maybe they are doing that as like a backdoor pilot for.
Speaker 7: The X Men.
Speaker 4: I would also say we've seen them take from like Infinity Saga for examples, and then make a match.
Speaker 1: In the comics, right, and they mix a match.
Speaker 4: So maybe it's more that someone specifically gives this thing to Pete too mutate him, you know, rather than the idea of like they're gonna have to stop everyone from it being sprayed from the top of the tower, because it doesn't look like that's what it is, right, But how would that lean into like the hand who we know are going to be there and stuff? Jason, do you have any big play theories, just like narratively, because this has been a crazy production. We've seen the practical We know that Daniel that destin, Daniel Craton essentially got this after being taken off Doomsday like this movie is, and it's gonna introduce this new era of Spider Man web but basically getting the first classic Spider Man in the MCU.
Speaker 1: What's your big theories or thoughts. My big theory is that we is that whoever the villain is, and we've seen so we know that the Macgargan's.
Speaker 2: Scorpions in it.
Speaker 1: We know the Tombstone is there, of course, Frank Castle, of course, the Hulk. We see Peter fighting the Hand. Yeah, Boomerang, Boomerang, Tarangela Ramrod. Yeah, but none of those even teamed up. That's not none of those is like a shot caller. Somewhere off that screen, there is a much bigger villain and it can't be Doom. Maybe Doom is the guy behind the guy, in the same way that the first Avengers movie was like the guy Sanos was the guy behind the guy, and so there's a guy behind the guy.
Speaker 2: There's a guy whose Doom is.
Speaker 1: Behind potentially, But who is the main villain of this movie? And I don't know who it is, but I'm thinking if you are introducing the X Men, maybe it's a I don't know, a Legion. That's just I wish that would be so sick.
Speaker 2: Is it Shadow King?
Speaker 1: Is it Legia?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it a major X Men villain to set up x men. I don't know, but but I think there must be a big bad that is not revealed that is a.
Speaker 2: Huge favor in this movie, and we do have Trammel.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say so, so originally I was hoping that they cost Tremmel as that universe as Norman Osborne, right, Like we've always had the conversation about the ways Tremul would be incredible at that. I have seen that that basically saying is going to be like a damage control department head. But they mentioned that he's gonna be like the general, right, and rumors seem to be that he's essentially gonna be they're calling it Bill Metzga. They essentially say he's like an anti mutant like agitator. So if that is the case, then I would say it's quite likely that we're getting Jean Gray. But what it might be is that Peter and these mutations start happening, so everyone freaks out, and they're not normal mutant mutations, you know, they are actually created by something. I'm just I'm really interested, like if the kind of if this is where they start leading in, I'm not gonna lie. I think having a black actor as your main anti mutant agitator when the movie is essentially an analogy about civil rights is kind of corny, So.
Speaker 1: Hopefully he's playing someone else.
Speaker 4: But I do think it's that time that they need to start bringing people in to stoke the anti mutant anti hero fires that are gonna be needed to make their X Men impactful.
Speaker 1: Predictions for the end of of Brand New Day or or Brand New Day or changes quote Jim, Yes, as we head into Doomsday Ian, any big predictions.
Speaker 5: I think we're gonna in the post credit scene because I think the actual film itself is going to be its own, self contained, you know, street level story. But I think a post credit scene will see maybe some more incursions or you know, we'll see battle World forming or something. I think that's going to lead into where we'll find Peter in the next time in Secret Wars. But I don't think in the actual meat of the film there's gonna be too many connections. I think they're going to save it for like a post credit scene, similar to like what they did with like ant Man on the Wasp for example.
Speaker 2: Any idea who the who a villain might be?
Speaker 5: Ian, I think Sadie Sink is going to be the villain, but I think it's gonna be a kind of thing where she starts out as a villain or antagonist.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Wanda type thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, enemiesnemies because she's got Shadow King influencing her or what oh, I mean that would be awesome.
Speaker 4: Maybe it comes with a mission that she thinks is like an anti Department of Damage Control mission, but it's a bit more extreme. Em it's that Brotherhood of Mutant style. We're gonna blow ship up and hurt normal people.
Speaker 2: I mean, like just paying attention to the trailer for Brand New Day, there's the scene everyone talks about where Peter kind of rips the the door off of that containment thing. You see a person and it looks like they're possessed, and then the possession jumps to multiple people. We know this like Marvel changes their trailers. They don't always look exactly there could be something else happening there. And from pre movie buzz, it's like Sadie is working with John Brett a lot, so like what is their relationship, you.
Speaker 5: Know, trying to break her out of like the jail in the beginning. I think that's what like the tank like chasing, I mean, is at the beginning that show in the trailer. I would love that maybe she's controlling him too.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Oh that could be.
Speaker 3: Cool, because my biggest worry coming out of One Last Kill.
Speaker 7: Was like another baby girl situation, is trying to get another.
Speaker 4: Baby get you out of it, baby girl, And I was worried that potentially that could take Peter basically having to take down the violent Punisher could be like a really boring opening twenty minutes when they're already allied, like basically. So I kind of love the idea that maybe there's some kind of manipulation or possession or body jumping or something. Also, I mean, these movies are essentially sci fi movies, so I'm excited to see what that means.
Speaker 1: I want to know what the Hand is doing there.
Speaker 3: I get that they're in New York space, but like, are we getting electro back?
Speaker 4: Are they here to resurrect people? Is that the villain aspect? I don't think the Hand's going to be the main villain again. We need that manipulating mastermind. But yeah, I'm just so interested. I also think biggest status quo change I think MJ will know that he's Spider Man and that he's Peter Parker by the end of it, like they will have concluded that and they will go into whatever doing next together and on the run and romantic, and then we might see them.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm embarrassed to say I have texted this to Rosie, like how uncoored I will feel if Sadie is not Jean Gray, because I feel like there's so much build up to it. So that is I'm not even putting that in predictions because I'm afraid of of assuming something and just getting given yes I do, I already, yeah, very much. But my prediction is at the end of this movie, Peter's taken off the board completely. There's there's got to be a reason he's not in Doomsday, and he is supposedly in Secret Wars. We don't know that even that's not even confirmed, but you think is confirmed on.
Speaker 3: Like Battle World in a Spider Island, we do have.
Speaker 2: Some big players who are not confirmed for Doomsday and they have to have, you know, some element of give this movie stakes. We remove some of the players in Doomsday and then we get a couple reserves to help fill in for Secret Wars. I think Peter just may not show up in Doomsday, and I'm not saying Doom is gonna be in brand New Day, although Jason, I love your theory that Doom is pulling the strings of someone else, and you're right, like all the other Spider Man movies, especially the Tom Holland ones, have been so made by the villains, whether that be.
Speaker 3: Spider Man thing too with the movie, and he has.
Speaker 2: So many great villains too, so it is kind of strange that this movie's promo so far really has had no focus on villains.
Speaker 3: That's a great point because there's so many iconic Spider Man villains.
Speaker 2: Right right, So I am like, even this conversation now has me trying to think of who might still be in the shadows of this movie that we know nothing about. But yeah, my main prediction is that Peter gets taken off the board at.
Speaker 1: The end of this movie.
Speaker 4: I think that's probably right one lost crazy prediction from well question.
Speaker 1: More so for me, we know going into Doomsday, one.
Speaker 4: Of the big reasons I feel like Peter's not in it is because he doesn't have a kid, right, Like, we know that that's all about Doom trying to kill off the kids or get the kids for whatever reason, New Avengers, whatever.
Speaker 1: I do you think there's a version of this movie.
Speaker 4: Where the status quote ends and obviously they're not gonna make them have a team pregnancy. But my first theory of Sadie sinc Was that she was made a Parker. Do you think there's a version where a different universe version of may Day or someone comes through and they end up basically having to, you know, Chibby USA Sailor Moon style kind of raise a different universes version so that they have a reason to kind of be a part of that doomsday secret or fight, even if Doom isn't bringing them in. I wonder if that's kind of the status quot shift because they are both more mature now. I'm interested to see where that could go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with Aaron in that, you know, I can't disconnect how I feel about whether Sadie is Jean Gray.
Speaker 2: It's going to be such a fray.
Speaker 1: She's so good, she deserves to be so. But my senses like, I don't it's all been done before with Mary Jane, with made it Like even the may Day thing is like a reboot of a type of story.
Speaker 4: It's a may Day stuff in the Sony movie. So I think, yeah, so less likely, But I do think there's a vision. Maybe Penny Parka.
Speaker 3: I just feel like that is a vision. Even they could bring a version of Pia's kid.
Speaker 1: I feel like that is another Penny feels like another thing that they need to strike another deal with. Like that's that's how many character that you would then need to, like do a new deal about a live action Penny Parker.
Speaker 2: You just can't so it.
Speaker 1: I feel like it can't be any of those any of the Spider Men adjacent Spider Universe people. It's got to be somebody that Disney owns that. I just feel like it has to be.
Speaker 4: That would be really interesting if we would basically see if they do if it is Jean Gray and the big question was why would they put her in?
Speaker 1: It will be interesting if we start to.
Speaker 4: See Marvel maneuvering in more of a business sense, in that way where they go, Okay, well, this is your biggest character of Spider Man. Who can we bring in who's bigger? I would be really interested to kind of see them start approaching it that way instead of the negotiation, how do we work together collaboratively? Way?
Speaker 1: Well, Brand New Day is slated for least July thirty five. I want to say it's like I can't wait to see it. I think it's going to be the movie of the summer. Coming up, Aaron Ian, thank you so much for joining us. Of course, Coming up next on extra Vision, our reactions to season one of Spider Car, speaking of spiders and more, The biggest news stories of the week, That's nit this episode, That's listening.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepts Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 4: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.