Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Thursday, ice Cube, Rapper actor will join us. His Big Three tournament starts. His league starts on Saturday, and that's his birthday as well, so ice Cube will join us. Coming up, we'll ask him if the offer still exists for Caitlin Clark when everybody goes to the Olympics, can you bring in Caitlin Clark for a couple of weeks to play in his league. I got to find out if how much they offered. I think it was five million and maybe a piece of a team or a part of the league. But ice will join us coming up. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. The one twenty fourth US Open, a major that forgives no One and rewards greatness. At Pinehurst Father's Day weekend, US Open begins keeping an eye on that beautiful day at Pinehurst number two, watching some of that tiger getting roughed up a little bit. But this is a course that's going to rough everybody up. And this is where you must have patients because you're going to have a couple of bogees, double bogies, and then you got to shrug those off and say, so is everybody else. If you're under par, you got a chance to win this. Brooks Koepka is up on the leader board as well. I had the gambling podcast and yesterday I had all the guys in and they made their picks for the US Open. So Dylan surprises everybody by taking a golfer named Willie Mack the Third, and he said he's going to make the cut. Well, Willy mack the Third, right now? Is I think in second place? I think he's tied for second. I think he's at two to under after six holes or seven holes? Does that sound right, Paul.
Speaker 3: That's right Willie matt And he's he's out early. Yeah, he's got a lot of holes left. He's, well, yeah, you got to get out early. He's thirty five years old. He's been a pro since twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Willie mack the Third. So here was a portion of Dylan explaining taking Willie mack the Third on Dan Patrick Takes a Gamble podcast.
Speaker 4: Dylan, So I got Willie mack the Third, top forty plus fourteen hundred.
Speaker 2: He's in on a qualifier.
Speaker 5: Who the is Willie Mack?
Speaker 6: Who is Willie Mack the Third?
Speaker 2: He earned a spot by winning a three man playoff last week at uh in a qualifier in Florida. Sounds like a weekend at Larry. I follow him on Instagram for some reason. Larry is mac daddy though, Dylan.
Speaker 3: If I if I see Willie Mack making it, I've done a lot every bit of that.
Speaker 4: I'm like one of his like nineteen thousand followers on Instagram. He's like a bumping around the corn ferry tour.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so uh, Dylan had his picks. Everybody had their picks yesterday and you could listen to the entire podcast. It's spirited and back and forth and occasionally they get a prediction. Right that said Danpatrick dot com say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. We appreciate him. Thank you for all the comments people have reached out. I just did my job the best I could yesterday, and you know I heard from Jerry West family they got a chance to watch some of it. That means the world to me. Tough day, but you know, this is this is what you sign up for this, and you know, the longer you're in this, I get to see people from start to finish with their careers and in some cases their lives. And I met Jerry when I was fifteen at a basketball game in Cincinnati, got his autograph, watched the Lakers against the Royals, and you know, fifty three years later, I'm saying goodbye to him on a national radio show paying tribute to It was a day that I didn't look forward to, but it's a day I'm very proud of. I'm very proud of of what we did here, your reaction and maybe enlightening you on who Jerry West was. And as his son, Johnny reached out to me late last night, you captured you captured who my dad was, and he did truly love you, and I said, thank you, you know, appreciate that. So I lose Bill Walton, who was a friend and somebody that I had great admiration for. And now Jerry West, I'm getting I'm getting too old for this. I'm getting too old. Three and a half years. I think I can make it. I think I could make it, all right. So ice Cube joined us coming up, Tom Brady had his night last night, and the Patriots Hall of Fame sixty thousand showed up last night on a night when the Celtics were playing against the MAVs. Now granted that was in Dallas. We talked a little bit about this. This game last night's going to be remembered because of Luca fouling out a couple of silly fowls late. They were on this twenty two two run like they they had started to put pressure on Boston. He had four minutes left and then Luca thinks he's gonna get those calls. He's not going to get those calls now. I know you can say they were fifty to fifty even if they're sixty four. Like, you can't put yourself in a position to possibly foul out of a finals game that you have to win, so they lose the game. Brown and Tatum were wonderful, but you know, the Celtics are just a better team. Dallas has to play a perfect game to win. And Kyrie played wonderful. But Luca acted petulant last night complaining needing the calls, and he was asked about it after the game. Luca, what did you think of the whistles that went against you in the fourth quarter. Again, No, I don't know.
Speaker 7: We couldn't play physical, So I know now I want to say nothing, but you know six follow in the NBA five. Basically, I'm like this, come on, man, better than that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, you need to be better than that. Don't leave you know, your availability in somebody else's hands. And that's what he did last night. He put himself out there. I know he's banged up, but you can't play that kind of defense on the perimeter if you don't have any quickness, any lateral speed there, and you're letting Jason Tatum get a head start gribbling and then you're gonna try to slide in front of him. And if you're an official, you've been hearing him complain all night long and now you're gonna go, well, you know what, let me help him out there. I'm gonna call an offensive foul. It's not gonna happen. Fritzi had some numerology with Tom Brady's night last night that I didn't see it, but then Todd is very big on numerology. Oh, the tampering charges against the Falcons, that's it. We'll get to that importantly, let's do the numerology, PAULI, that's far more important than the Falcons. Of course, tampering. Seaton's not here today. His son Kieren is graduating from eighth grade. So cheers cheers hip hip array for Kieren going into high school. All right, Todd.
Speaker 6: The Patriots executive chose the twelfth day of the sixth month, June twelfth, yesterday, to honor Tom as two of the numbers most often associated with Tom Brady's Patriots career, his six Super Bowl championships and his iconic uniform number twelve. There's your six twelve. And how about that?
Speaker 2: They did they do that on purpose?
Speaker 6: If not, then that's then, hey, numerology is alive.
Speaker 8: And well if that's just an accident.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul, they did.
Speaker 3: On the announcement of the date and everything on the Patriots website, they said that's one of the reasons they chose the stake.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, it's nice. The NFL is docking the Falcons a twenty twenty five fifth round pick for violating the league's anti tampering policy with Kirk Cousins. The team fine two hundred and fifty thousand dollars their GM Terry Fontnau fined fifty thousand dollars. The violations are considered logistical and administrative, such as making travel arrangements after players agreed to terms and did not involve contact prior to the negotiating window. Per sources, I guess they got off light fifth round pick, the two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and then your GM gets fined fifty thousand dollars. Is there another tampering charge that's up? Is there another team that is on the docket for the commissioner? I thought there was another case of possible tampering in the off season or signing somebody, I'm not Yeah, PAULI there was one with the Eagles. Yeah, there's the.
Speaker 3: One story I saw that wouldn't affect draft picks. But no ruling yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean there's tampering that goes on. Maybe it was so egregious, so obvious that you had to do something. Is that maybe how we got to this point? But the NFL has taken away a fifth round pick in twenty twenty five for the anti tampering policy with Kirk Cousins and the team find two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, A couple of phone calls in here, Oh, the hot dog contest developments. Who knew this was going to be a big deal. Joey Chestnut not going to be in the Nathan's hot Dog competition, and then we went, well, you got to have him. He's more important than the competition itself. Next thing you know, Netflix is going to have a hot dog eating contest with Kobayashi and who's coming out of retirement to face Joey Chestnut.
Speaker 6: Just out of the blue like that, this all of us came together.
Speaker 2: How incredible. Yes, so Netflix is going to have that live? Now do they have an undercard? You have a title fight? And then do you have maybe other people you know coming up in the right thanks there that want to be part of this or celebrity eating challenge. I'm not sure. I've never watched it. I can't. It grosses me out. Uh let me see. The NFL informed the Eagles that its investigation did not discover sufficient evidence to support the anti tampering policy by signing Saquon Barclay.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have the official back to the important stuff. I have the official release from Netflix. Monday, September second, Unfinished Beef a Netflix Netflix Live event Kobeyashi versus Chestnut?
Speaker 2: Okay, unfinished beef?
Speaker 8: Nice?
Speaker 3: Nicee word is it so?
Speaker 2: Joey signs a Netflix deal and he wasn't going to do the Fourth of July? Darren Ravel had some information on this. Yeah, these two eating.
Speaker 3: Legends have not faced off in a hot dog competition since oh nine. Oh god, it's like Paqiol Mayweather a waiting so long. Yeah, I don't have anything about a opening acts or anything like that, Okay, pending.
Speaker 8: Yeah, wait what what about Dylan?
Speaker 2: I Dylan was thinking about being a competitive eater and this would be the window of opportunity. I don't know if he could get into the I don't know. If you have to show you have to have documentation of how many hot dogs you can eat.
Speaker 3: If you eat like that and you're not in an event, what do you call it, like if you eat like that lifestyle?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is sad and the ratings are going to be terrible for this Nathan's Fourth of July?
Speaker 3: Or is an opening for a new champion?
Speaker 2: Well? As Darren Ravel said, they have not developed another great star. They never built a farm.
Speaker 3: System like when Gretzky left the NHL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't. They didn't have a farm system to create another Gretzki. There farms a table system, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 9: So you forgot to ask rich Lerner about Joey Chestnut's shadow over the hot dogs?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: I did ask about who has cast a bigger shadow over their sport? Jordan over the NBA or Tiger over golf. Yeah, Joey Chestnut. I'd say that he casts a larger shadow than the other two.
Speaker 6: Yes, Tom, Does the farm system start with the cocktail franks, a little mini pigs and blankets and you work your way up to the majors.
Speaker 2: Do you imagine you're getting your your kid, he's like eight, and you're getting it ready for competitive eating, and you're getting those many hot dogs pigs in a blanket. Come on now, let's go eight.
Speaker 5: Ninety sr.
Speaker 2: And what did Chestnut eat? He ate sixty three hot dogs? Yep. How much time does he have to eat sixty three hont dogs? Oh?
Speaker 3: I think it's I think the most he ever did, Chestnut. I have seventy six hot dogs in ten minutes.
Speaker 2: See, I can't watch it. It's just it's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Is this is the Nathan's event like the PGA Tour and this new Netflix event like the Live Tour, like they're going to combat each other. People are gonna pick sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but nobody's watching the Live Tour. They'll watch this because of Joey Chestnut.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yeah, And you got to eat the buns and dip it in the water to try to make it.
Speaker 2: I know, I never you take the air out of.
Speaker 8: It digests better. I guess I can dip it in the water.
Speaker 2: But to see that, it's like you know when you watch a child eat and they have both hands going and they're just shoving stuff in their face and it's all over their face, and it's kind of what it is when you watch it Joey Chestnut and then like you're cheering somebody doing this and like it just I'm I'm schemed out by it.
Speaker 6: The chicks are all puffed up. They looks like they can choke. At any minute. They may choke. There could be a serious medical emergency.
Speaker 2: Thank you Todd. Of course you would. You would pick out that that there's something could happen.
Speaker 6: That's the only thing I could think of while I'm watching is someone's gonna choke it, someone's gonna get you.
Speaker 2: Grew up with that mindset of or your mom would always tell you that something bad was going on.
Speaker 6: My mom would take me for a throat culture every week. As soon as I coughed or said that my throw was hurting, I have to goe to see if that stripped throat.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, uh, let me get to Mason and Georgia here take a break, ice Cube will join us. Coming up, Hey Mason, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 11: I was a seventeen year old in nineteen seventy two. The summer of nineteen seventy two, I attended the Bucky Waters basketball camp at Duke University with about fifty other guys. And at the same time we were there, the Italian Olympic team was their training and they had contracted Jerry West, Calvin Murphy, and artist Gilmore to work with them while they were there. And we were lucky enough to be able to watch a lot of this going on during the week, and Jerry West came and gave us a clinic, a shooting clinic for about an hour, and he came out in his workout year Laker workout year. They had just won the seventy two championship with the Laker, and he came out in his Lucker gear with a guy to rebound, and he started shooting, started under the basket, moved back about thirty feet and worked his way back in. Took about forty five minutes, and he was talking to us the whole time about technique, mechanics, mindset, about shooting. And when he got through, he walked over to us. And in nineteen seventy two, Cameron indoor was not air conditioned, hot as hell in there, and he was drenched in sweat. He had worked out so hard. I mean, this was a hard workout. He came over to us, stood in front of us. He said, young man, I want to tell you this one thing. He says, you can take everything I've told you and throw it out the window. If you're not willing to do one thing practically every day of your life like I have since the eighth grade, he says, that is due just what I did in front of you, practically every day of your life, take a thousand shots a day.
Speaker 2: Well, if you look at his form and Marvin and I were talking about this, he was so different than anybody else who came into the league with his jump shot. You know, Elgin Baylor was different when he came in. He's as acrobatic athletic as I've ever seen anybody. And then Jerry came in with this jump shot, and you were like, oh wow, these guys are different.
Speaker 9: Yes, A good analogy is he's the first guy to start talking like this when everyone talked like this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's how the NBA looked.
Speaker 9: The NBA seemed like it sounded like everyone talked like this, and he was like, hey, guys, I ablutays stop talking like that. That's that's what it looked like when he was playing.
Speaker 2: So when Bob Coosey would be dribbling, man, you can't stop him. He's unbelievable. He's a magician.
Speaker 8: He's a Kyrie everything.
Speaker 2: Not the hair copper, copper copper. But they with Jerry, it was not it was like, all right, here we go, Jerry.
Speaker 8: All right, guys, stop talking like that.
Speaker 2: Easy here, easy here, all right, let me take a break. We'll talk to Ice Cube, big Laker fan. Once he think of Dan Hurley saying no, and how much was that offered to Caitlin Clark and Ice will join us coming up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, we're Covino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing. We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 13: To, and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blubber, list lame and me.
Speaker 12: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 13: Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships, and if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 12: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over promised and also uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 2: There you go, over Promising.
Speaker 13: Remember you could see it on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen to over Promised with Cadino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: He gave me one of the greatest lines in the history of this show. I spoke to ice Cube many many, many years ago, and the first time I met him, I said, how would it go if I went to South Central, if I went into Compton, because you'd be all right. Brothers got Cable. I was doing Sports Center at the time. Brothers Got Cable. Yeah, the Big Three announced its seventh season. We'll tip off at Oakland Arena and Oakland, California, coming up this Saturday, June fifteenth, at three point thirty Eastern live on CBS Television Network and Paramount Plus. We spoke to ice Cube a couple of days ago, and I started the interview by asking him the last time he played pick up basketball?
Speaker 5: I retired, and I retired probably about twenty fourteen. I went to the podium and said, hey, I'm done. You know what it is, man, I started seeing some of my friends get pro injuries, you know that it was tearing acls and popping the achilles, and I was like, you know, I was like, could you imagine I'm in a boot or I'm on crutches and people like cube what happened? Oh? I was playing basketball.
Speaker 2: It's like, dude, did you have a retirement speech there?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, my retirement speech was was a cube out and I dropped the mic and you know, I hit the door. It wasn't too many people there, but my family was there, and uh that's all that mattered.
Speaker 2: Speaking of dropping the mic, Dan Hurley did that to your Lakers? What was your reaction?
Speaker 5: Eight million goal a lot further Connecticut and eleven million in los pretty that way. Uh, you know, it's expensive out here, so you know, he he saw that writing on the wall that y'all I need to stay put. You know, It's it's cool the Lakers, you know, maybe they got now they got their excuse to go hire JJ.
Speaker 2: Well, I just wanted is it still a great job?
Speaker 5: I think? So, you know, it's definitely a job that's you know, for one of the best franchises in the world, and so I think for that reason, it's great. You know, I don't know how it runs on the inside. You know. I make sure I stay a fans, so I stay far away from all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: But I still think it's a great job. You know. I think Jenny Bust is a great owner. You know, she's always tried to win, put the pieces in place. So it's not a lack of trying. It's just, you know, people got you know, he didn't want to move his family. I think that's important. He got it good out there in Connecticut.
Speaker 2: What's it like when you call for tickets for a Laker game.
Speaker 5: I never call for tickets. I always buy tickets because we're in Los Angeles. You know, I had a suite for twenty years at the Staples Center, and you know I bought my suite, didn't I didn't. Everybody in LA asks for tickets, and I just don't want to be that guy. You know. I just want to if I'm supporting, I got the money to really support.
Speaker 2: That's a ball or move there. I respect that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to be a fan man, you know, I want to be able to to talk about what's going on in my suite if everything ain't right. You know, I don't want to have to you know, be like well, you know, the tickets are free, you know, col be cool. Tickets are freedom. So I want to still be able to be a fan for real.
Speaker 2: We had Laurence Fishburn on yesterday and I asked him if he talked to you on Boys in the Hood. He said, he gave you some advice.
Speaker 5: That's advice I ever had.
Speaker 2: And he wouldn't tell me, but he's said, when you see Cube, you can ask him if he wants to tell you.
Speaker 5: Yes, best advice in Hollywood that I ever got. So you know, I get this Rowe double boy Boys in the Hood. You know, I know this guy. You know what I mean. It's like, this is my neighborhood, this is how we grew up. You know. I could play this, you know, with my eyes closed. But they wanted me to go to this acting coach. But they would want me to go after I shot twelve hours in the day and like at night. They wanted me to go to this coach and I was I went once, maybe twice, and I hated it. I was just pissed. You know, I was ready to go and enjoy the rest of my day because I got to be on set. You know, you shoot twelve hours, you off twelve hours, you back on set twelve hours off. So you know, by the time you sleep, you only really got about four hours of time to yourself. So uh so, So Lawrence fish Brown'll make a long story short. He saw me, He saw me, uh leaving the set pissed off. He said, what's wrong? Man? I got me going to this acting coach and whatever. It's like acting coach, but you're in the movie. And uh he said, Man, do you know who Doe Boy is? I said, yeah, do you know who doe Boy is? Yeah, we'll play double boy. Man, forget that acting coach, play doe boy, be dope be here. So I'm like, man, that's easy, thank you. I never went again.
Speaker 2: Did you keep anything from that movie?
Speaker 5: The script? I had the script? Uh, I probably got something archived around here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: The car, no, No, that wasn't in my car. And and a lot of time we finished the movie, that cardon was pretty beat up. You know, it's an old school joint anyway, and you'll never put your car in the movie if you want it, if you want it to to run the side.
Speaker 2: We're talking to ice Cube and of course it's a Big three now seventh season tipping off in Oakland. That'll be Saturday. That's your birthday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, junk fifteenth, fifty five, double nickel.
Speaker 2: Damn where'd the years go?
Speaker 5: Oh? Man? They were great? It was beautiful everyone almost.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Is there a part of your life though that you maybe you don't even remember? No, I remember like a wild time, wild year, wild period, partying, having fun.
Speaker 5: I don't party that hard. I have fun, but yeah, I remember, you know, pretty much everything. My eye has been open.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm always looking to, you know, understand the business a little more, understanding the situation a little more. So I'm always soaking it in. And as a you know, as a rapper, you know, you you want to be good at observed, observing life and then being able to to kind of put it in lyrics and give it back to the people.
Speaker 2: So it'll be Saturday, June fifteenth or three thirty Eastern Live on CBS and Paramount Plus. Does the offer still stand at Caitlin Clark?
Speaker 5: Uh, Nah, we we've We've moved on. We see that she is focused on the w NBA. And you know, we really didn't get great engagement from the offer from their team. You know, I think the agents was hating on it a little bit. Uh So, yeah, we worried about you know, the players that we have. You know, you know, we we think we're gonna have our best season because the matchups are you know, teams are so evenly matched, and they know they know the game now, you know, they know how to win in the Big Three, and so we can't wait for Saturday.
Speaker 2: What was the offer official offer to Kaitlyn.
Speaker 5: It was two years, five million dollars a year. Uh and plus you know, we were gonna do cool stuff with merch and you know, I think he was even talking about a percentage and team ownership. You know, we're gonna you know, we believe her coming into the Big Three would be such a big deal that you know, all boats would rise in the league with with benefit from the attention and to see, you know, if she can actually do it against against this competition. So but it would be great.
Speaker 2: If she doesn't go to the Olympics, there's a window there where she's not playing w n B. A maybe a guest baller.
Speaker 5: Uh nah, you moved on, okay. You know, you know we we know how to take no fun.
Speaker 2: If you didn't get into music, what would you have gotten into?
Speaker 5: Well, I was on my way into architectural drafting. Uh. I went to a technical school in Phoenix right out of high school. I mean the day I left to go to the Phoenix Institute of Technology is the day Dre pulled up with the with the album n W a single album cover. You know, it was dope man on one side. You know, I think it was eight ball on the other. But he came with the album cover and he was like, you sure you want to go to school? And I was like, hell yeah, man, I don't know if this is gonna work, you know what I mean, I don't know. It's so hardcore. Nothing like this was being played on the radio. We had no blue plant for this style of music. You know, it was uh you know, it was very few that would venture into this style. You know, I think Ice Tea. It was a rapper called just Ice. You know, maybe Carras won a little bit in his early early early days, but nobody else.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't roll up, then I mean, your life changes.
Speaker 5: Well, I was going to school anyway, so I was saying, I was gonna see what was gonna happen, you know, and it started to bubble, you know, it started to blow up. And when I left school, I mean why, I actually graduated and got the certificate. My mom still got it somewhere on one of her walls. But yeah, you know, I kind of never. I never pursued it because you know, the music was starting to take off and it was time to work on easy solo album.
Speaker 2: What do you have? You got stuff on the wall you gotta is that a platinum album behind you? You got Magic Johnson Jersey there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, magic, you know my favorite player of all times. It's a Jordan right here, Jordan's yeah, you know the white pick. This is a this is a platinum single, check yourself gold platinum. My pops right here, yeah, you know, right here is uh let me see, this is Shaq and Kobe.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Then I got the Friday Uh poster up there. It's my spot where it's my little home studio.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had to build this in twenty twenty when nobody could go nowhere, so I didn't. Really, it's a wound that I do music aga and it's not really built out as a studio because I couldn't have people come here. But but uh, you know it's cool. I kept it.
Speaker 2: If you had to grab one thing on the way out, only one thing, what do you grab it?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 5: Probably my you know my probably one of these platinum plaques. You know that's something I can. You know, well, I really can replace everything, to be honest. Yeah, I'll probably grab my.
Speaker 2: Computer harder to replace that.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: Good luck on Saturday June fifteenth, three thirty eastern live on CBS and also Paramount and your fifty fifth birthday as well. Great to catch up with you again.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Ice Always good to talk to you now anytime.
Speaker 2: Ice Cube. We talked to him a couple of days ago. We were going to bring you that interview yesterday and then the Jerry West News hit but Big three seventh season and uh, it'll be Saturday, June fifteenth, the three thirty eastern. You imagine that you're going to go to the Phoenix Institute of Technology, wants to be a what did he want to go into architectural drafting or something like I'm not afraid of somebody like that, Like if if he came out with a album and he was the architectural you know, drafter, but Dre rolls up and all of a sudden, he's like, you sure you want to go to architecture school, and all of a sudden, yeah, realize you got a career. But then he said he got his degree, which is kind of interesting as well. Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if it doesn't work out, yeah, I NWA doesn't work out, I can always go back to this.
Speaker 2: All right, last call for phone calls, What we learned and what's in store tomorrow? So this day in sports history.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last Call for phone Calls, What we learn, What's in store tomorrow. Boston Celtic's are now overwhelming favorites to win it All minus thirty five hundred to win the NBA title and the odds to win the finals MVP. It is Jalen Brown and then uh Jason Chatum right now a distance second, and then it's uh luka Doncic at plus twenty two hundred. Well that's not going to happen. I don't think this day in sports history, Pauline, what do you have for us?
Speaker 8: It's got a.
Speaker 3: Couple for you, Dan I got. Nineteen forty eight, the New York Yankees officially retired Bay Ruth number three and sentence to the Hall of Fame. That was thirteen years after he retired. What was the hold up there? We're not sure if this guy's worthy. Hm, let's see, Babe Ruth. How many meetings to you have?
Speaker 2: So that was nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he retired in nineteen thirty five, not officially retired until nineteen forty.
Speaker 2: When did he die? It had to be right around that time.
Speaker 3: I think. Yeah, he passed away in forty eight, so maybe it was a reaction. It actually was. It was retired.
Speaker 2: Did they retired after he died?
Speaker 3: Two months before he died? That worked out all right though?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 3: And nineteen eighty nine, the Detroit Pistons won their first NBA title to beat the LA Lakers in four games.
Speaker 2: That was a sweet okay.
Speaker 3: Ninety seven Bulls won their fifth title in seven years.
Speaker 2: That's Raptors won the title on this year. In twenty nineteen, let's see Steve Kerr hit the jumper last second shot, Bulls the game six win over the Jazz. Steve Garvey, Dave Lopes, Ron Say, Bill Russell played together for the first time. They would go on to play eight and a half seasons together, a baseball record for an infield. That was a great infield. Not as good as my Cincinnati Reds.
Speaker 3: That's what it's going to ask you. It seemed like the Reds were together a long time.
Speaker 2: Well, you had Perez and Morgan, Concepcion, Rose played third, but then you had Danny Dreesen playing first. Rose went to the outfield, so I'm not sure how long they played. But when they did play, when you had Bench, Perez, Morgan, Conceptsion and Rose, nobody can touch that infield. That's I'm talking about fielding because Bench was great, conception on, great Morgan, Great Prez was okay, Pete was okay as a third baseman, but as far as hitting star power, he can't come close to that infield.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, you've mentioned this before, but for those who don't know, Dave concept she owned the Reds. He was very popular, even if you weren't a Reds fan. When I was a kid, he was considered a wizard.
Speaker 2: I mean he was Ozzy before Ozzie from the standpoint of he created the one hop from deep short to first base off the turf.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, yes, Nine time All Stars. Nine time All Stars are almost always in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: And he got overshadowed.
Speaker 3: You want to do a summer project, I got.
Speaker 2: I have too many projects, So I gotta get Brent Musburger in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: I got bad news on that one. What Brent Musburger is not the selection for the NFL Hall of Fame this year, not besmirching who they chose. It just came through Merril Reese, the longtime Eagles announcer. Okay, very fair at the two thousand, twenty four Pete Rozelle Radio TV. Oh, come on, let's work on twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: All right, what are year, let's go.
Speaker 8: Let's start.
Speaker 2: I got Foreigner in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You know when the lead singer of Foreigner says, we got no chance, And I said, all right, well, I even gonna keep bringing it up. You guys should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And lo and behold, they're in the Rock and Roll Hall.
Speaker 8: Of Fame for Brent. You're just gonna take a little time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it takes a little bit, a little bit longer, but Brent's gonna get in and I'll get Davey Concepcion in the Hall of Fame as well.
Speaker 3: You've got a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do. I'm busy. My plate is full. Let me see. How about James in Arizona. James, thanks for holding what's on your mind today? You Ben?
Speaker 10: Thank you for the time. Yeah, talking about Jerry Wist. I'm not a Lakers fan. I'm a sound stand but I got to and uh, you've seen it Slam Fast well with all the stars. They had a slam Douggie Cortes for celebrities, Jim, will Timmer and Walton, they were all there. What are looking at? I got to be a part of it. Thank you Dad for having him on. There's a few times that Jerry West was on. Who was this stop the car, the paradelt, the radio of this holic?
Speaker 2: Well good, thank you James. I mean, that's part of my job is to enlighten you open your eyes to somebody that you may not know about. And maybe I did that with Jerry West Tilly and Bloomington High till what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Hey Dan, good afternoon. Just kind of like everybody else, wanted to call in to send my sincereness to you guys, everybody there but you in particular on the loss of Jerry yesterday. I didn't catch it live and got to watch everything after the fact, and that was one of the more sensitive shows, like somebody had mentioned, you know, going back to the timeframe of all the Jerry Sandusky stuff, that was a rough one too, and you helped everybody out, a bunch of us out with everything going on then, and just wanted to let you know that and let you know. You know, everybody out there says they like you, but just keep remembering that there's a ton of us out there that got some big love for you, bro, So just keep doing what you're doing. And many hugs all you guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Yeah, I forgot about the Jerry Sandusky day. I came in former Penn State coach and oh god, I was so livid that day. I'm so angry that people allowed that to go on. Man still bothers me, will always bother me. John and Ohio, Hi John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hey, how are you doing that?
Speaker 2: Great? John?
Speaker 14: Hey, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 11: Tell Jeanie bust In the Lakers brass to put down the phone to cancel the meeting, because I got an alternative for you for coach, and it's right under their nose.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 11: How about how about my man Lebron James.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, no no no, we've already gone down this road unless he retires to become the head coach. You can't be a player coach in the NBA. They outlawed that.
Speaker 10: I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Skip Bayless. I think did a whole show on Lebron being the head coach, not realizing that. I mean, don't let details get in the way or facts or rules. Hey, who cares. I got a whole show out of Lebron being a head coach. He can't be a head coach and a player at the same time. Bill Russell got to do that. But they don't do that anymore because you could circumvent the salary cap. I could pay Lebron a dollar as a player, and I could pay him, you know, fifty million dollars as a coach. That'd be a really decisive advantage for them. Let's go around the room. What we learned in the program? Tod, what'd you learn today?
Speaker 6: When he won the award? Andre Gadald never knew there was even a postgame presentation for an NBA Finals MVP.
Speaker 2: All right, Todd did a great job, good job filling in for a seat. You know, I'm going to give you a B minus today.
Speaker 8: I think you could bump it up to a B.
Speaker 2: Now, why be grateful?
Speaker 8: Be grateful?
Speaker 2: All right, I'll give you a be give you yeah, give you a B even though you didn't have any of those on your report card growing out neither. I started at a C. Oh I got my first bee, I'd be like, oh, I still waiting for my first bee? Marvin?
Speaker 9: Would you learn today, andre Iguidalas said? Jerry West said, wolves eat dogs?
Speaker 2: Yes? I always say, oh, man, he's a dog. Jerry West told Andre No, wolves eat dogs, Paulie. Would you learn?
Speaker 3: Ice cube was almost straight out of the Phoenix Institute of Technology.
Speaker 2: Straight out of Phoenix institutions? Todd? Would I learn?
Speaker 6: Rich Learner doesn't think Roy McElroy is a legend right now? Legends are at all cages and big golf events.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being a wonderful audience. Have a great day.