Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, well, come, welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 3: All right, everyone, this is our mini pod is Native LAMPI Welcome home, y'all. I'm Angela, right with Tiffany Cross and Andrew gillim and today we were talking about a lot of stuff in this mini pod.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well the one thing I want to talk about because we've got some serious stuff to get too. But in our main podcast, Angela sent an email that I shouldn't have looked at because I should be focused on you guys, but I just blanked down because it popped up on my computer. Angela was invited to appear on MSNBC, and she responded, and I'm going to read that email for our Hi Blank, I won't say the person's name, Hi Blank. I was devastated by the untimely, unfortunate dismissal of my friend joy read I will not likely be making any appearance on MSNBC in the foreseeable future. Thank you, Angela, RII I do thank you for the offer. Thank you for the offer, which, if you read black Women Speak, is your fine pretty much whatever? Why do you want to say it?
Speaker 5: But why I.
Speaker 4: Found this so hilarious is because the temerity of them to even.
Speaker 5: Ask why why would she.
Speaker 4: Clearly because she said hey, following up on the request, I was trying to yeah, no, But I just think that is it's a I don't know what to do with myself because I spent my whole career building this and it is really a dying industry. So I don't even know what to do with myself. But it's like y'all killed yourself.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: The ratings have not been what they were since Joy and Joy's killing it. It was such a joy dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb decision.
Speaker 3: I just want to say to Joy that we offer ourselves up to appear on your show, Joy, but we I don't think any of us are going on MS and I just you know, for me, I could have included Tiff too, but I wanted them to know. I wanted to bring up Joy in this moment because of course, Joy just happened and we had a full on boycott that uh, that began shortly after, right when we really learned of her dismissal. And with Tiff, we didn't have that because Joy was still on, and so I think we were turning. I wasn't watching weekends, but I definitely, you know.
Speaker 4: We would say don't watch except for Joy Show. Yeah, you know, like tuned in the Joy Show. And now it's like you ain't gonna watch anything. And there are people there who I love, dearly Aimon moy D, I think Alie Velshi amazing. So there are wonderful people over there, but and and they have their righteous frustrations too, I'm sure. So I just want those individuals to know we see you, we hear you, we feel you, and thank you for continuing to speak truth.
Speaker 5: To power on the network.
Speaker 4: And they lost Maddie to Maddie Hassan, who was brilliant too. I helped Katie fang me and Katie.
Speaker 3: Got into it online because I thought she was saying something about t if she wasn't saying it.
Speaker 5: Was I remember, but shut out.
Speaker 4: I didn't like I didn't like her tweet either, but I like Katie is such a supporter, and.
Speaker 5: She cleared her.
Speaker 4: So it was all a misunderstanding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was helping and Drew I don't know where I wasn't And I was like, oh, she got my lawyer.
Speaker 5: I don't remember that, but I definitely am grateful to her.
Speaker 4: I was mad at everybody, so when I saw Katie, I was like, what, how dares? I didn't know who to trust, like who was betraying me because so many people were betraying me at the time. So anyway, I just wanted to share that with the audience just so y'all know, so y'all know it's real and shout out in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going on this show if they're not gonna you know, I'm just like, honestly, I don't even understand the point. I think there are other ways to cut through right now, and I am almost singularly focused on figuring out how to uplift independent voices that can be that can be guided by the strength of their convictions. And I think to that point right where we're not seeing these days as much is earnest conversations around the violence that is ensuing against black bodies all throughout this country, some with the blessing of the Department of Justice, some at the behest, and the pushing of ICE, the immigration Customs enforcement. We had just on my show on Tuesday, my live show was with Mildred Pierre, who is the wife of Rodney Taylor, who was detained in January and is still in ice custody because of a crime that he allegedly committed and was pardoned for when he was sixteen years old. A paraplegic, not paraplegic, but he has what's it call when you prosthetics. He has prosthetic lens. They accused him of jumping into a window, stealing a stereo and jumping out of the window. He had a wood foot at the time, and so they pardoned him of this. I still detained him and wants to deport him back to Liberia. Some of y'all know the history of Liberia. If you don't, we put links in for you in the podcast on Tuesday so you can understand how ridiculous this is. Rodney has a hearing August twelfth that I will be attending. I'm of course inviting my co host and anybody who wants to join us. We cannot let this stand. Tiff and Andrew and Ibery is, oh, that's important.
Speaker 5: It's in Georgia, and we'll make sure we send additional details. There's a GoFundMe.
Speaker 3: But my point in saying this is the violence on black bodies is happening at the federal level, the state level, the local level. The Jacksonville Sheriff is currently investigating and incident that happened against William McNeill Junior in Jacksonville, Florida in February, and some of us are just learning about it. I want to give y'all a trigger warning to my co host, to those who are watching at home, and even the listeners. This is not easy to hear or see, but we need to be aware.
Speaker 5: Let's roll the clip. Is there a reason why you're popping open like that?
Speaker 2: If that word is the reason that you're pulling me over? Yeah, absolutely, there's a reason why I'm pulling you over here.
Speaker 6: For one thing, inclement inclement whether you don't have your.
Speaker 5: Lights on, two things, you're not wearing your seatbelts, the three don't need the lights, and it's not whether it's.
Speaker 6: Not okay, I'm not arguing with you.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you why I'm pulling it over.
Speaker 2: Give me your driver's licenses, registration for venture costs.
Speaker 5: All your supervisor. Excuse me, how do you feel, advisor?
Speaker 1: Why did you pull meal you?
Speaker 6: Sorry? I'm a thirty five for the dog driver already told you, how do you pull me over? Step out of the vehicle, Step out of exit the phicle.
Speaker 5: Now exit the.
Speaker 2: Reason, sir?
Speaker 3: What is the reason?
Speaker 5: Step out now? All right? So there is another angle of this video.
Speaker 1: There is where you can see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I almost want to. I know that was traumatizing enough, but I almost want to play that too. Maybe we can't, We can't, teast. I was gonna say we can insert it in post, but I want to. I think, Yeah, I agree with you, Andrew. It's a completely different experience. I wanted the full video, But now I understand why it was on Fox eleven because they wanted to make sure that we heard about the marijuanas that that justifies them busting him in his mouth and busting through the window.
Speaker 5: So let me see this is this is it?
Speaker 2: After refusing to get out of his car, William McNeil Junior took this open handed blow from JSO officer Donald Bowers during a February traffic stop. Just days following the release of the footage shot on McNeil phone, Sheriff TK Waters announced Bowers had been stripped of his policing authority pending the results of an ongoing internal investigation. He suggested, if McNeil had filed an official complaint, the agency would have looked into the arrest earlier.
Speaker 1: Who'd have been all over it, you know, if had that been the case, But he did not.
Speaker 2: Official JSO records, including the arrest report, the incident report, and the response to resistance report, make no mention of officer Bauer's initial hit to McNeil's face. Police body cam also fails to capture the blow.
Speaker 1: So there's he does.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 3: There's another angle steal when he gets snatched out the car where they bust his head up against I think it's up against the car, Andrew.
Speaker 5: But it's just it is it is, it is. It is infuriating.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: So fourth, there are two in the afternoon.
Speaker 6: At seven, eight o'clock, nine o'clock at ninety still by the way right now where I am at Florida, right X Andville's just down the street.
Speaker 1: Four five, But four five in February. This sky, because we see the video is clear, you can, I mean it may not be clear. It could be cloudy.
Speaker 6: I have no idea, but I don't see rainfalling it's not on the lens of the camera, and it doesn't appear on the gentleman's vehicle either. So what they actually did, hear, y'all, is something called a pretext stop pretectual stop. By the way, this is something the Department of Justice has dissuaded police departments from doing. And what that means is you take a minor infraction as an opportunity to pull someone over whom you believe is involved in more serious criminal activity, and you use this pretext this this light's not on, or fail to use a signal when changing lanes, or whatever other minor infraction they could come up with, so that they can get into the vehicle and hopefully discover what are deeper crimes. The reason why the DOJ dissuades people from using protectual stops and have written consent decrees with police departments all across the country to end this kind of practice is because generally it targets black people and black communities. So if you were doing pretectual stops all over the city, it was happening in white areas as well as in black areas, it would be one thing, it'd be indiscriminated, except almost always these pretext stops are used extremely excessively and black communities and black neighborhoods, black sides of towns, and on poor sides of towns as a way to get these people caught up in a much more serious infraction. They don't even poll people for weed right now in this state pretty much unless they consider you are a dealer, and this man's got a smokable weed. And that's what you're gonna say now is the reason that justifies you coming across his face like that twice, unprovoked. It's it's insane again, not shocked, not surprised. I'm glad that the brother lived to tell the story another day because I could have easily seen this situation going completely differently, And were it not for his own recording, many viewers listeners would not have been able to see the devastation that this officer calls causes unprovoked by escalating the situation and not.
Speaker 1: De escalating it.
Speaker 4: You know, it's hard to watch, but it's uh.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 4: A regular occurrence. And I remember when the debate around body Ham's were coming out and it was this big victory, like, okay, now all police officers a little will wear body camps, and it hasn't really stopped or changed anything. All we have now is a better view of officers assaulting and killing killing us. You know, I don't know what to do. I think it's important to look at in twenty twenty when there was a so called racial reckoning. You know, I think we all kind of knew that this was just a brief marketing ploy for corporations, and it hasn't really.
Speaker 5: Changed much.
Speaker 4: It hasn't really had an impact. And it's why I say, like, you cannot serve the corporate structure and community because they run contrary to each other. When all these companies were giving money, and again this was like a blood sacrifice, you know, like we had to watch a man be murdered on TV for them to even do anything. And so when the country's fifty biggest countries publicly traded companies were given all this money, JP, Morgan, Chase a Goal, Google gave money, it was like millions of dollars pouring in. And it wasn't real structural change like how much money precisely, but even the money they gave, more than ninety percent of that money was allocated to potentially profitable initiatives, stuff like loans and investments and mortgages. The reporting found that, and I think it was the Washington Post who dug into this. The reporting found that I think only seventy million went to organizations that were devoted to criminal justice and racial justice. And in the years I don't know the most current stats, but in the years since, so between twenty seventeen and twenty twenty four, four years after George Floyd's murder, two hundred and forty eight black men have been.
Speaker 5: Shot to death by the police.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 4: You know, like these these policies, it was just a reflexive reaction to the murder of somebody, not a true racial reckoning that we want to call it. Sorry, if you're watching this and my camera is shaky, it is because I'm trying to still play with my charge or my computer's gonna die at any minute. So apologies for making the video shake, and apologies to the folks who have to deal with this in post production and the viewers who might get Vertigo watching it.
Speaker 5: But it is Andrew.
Speaker 4: The reason why we're talking about this is because you brought up You have three children, two black boys who you're raising, and the fear. It must strike in you every time. And I you know, I I experienced this on the vineyard in the summer. And you see, like, you know, the black teenagers walking around like they hard, okay, and they they on the vineyard, but they walking around with the pants and the hair, and you know, like what you know, I love to see it. I'm like, yes, black boys, be free and be joyful.
Speaker 5: You deserve that.
Speaker 4: But I look at them and I'm like, y'all are fifteen, sixteen, seventeen. Some of y'all I'd have known since you were two, three, four and five. And I see you as these babies, right, these babies who have grown up. And I think you walk off this island and the world sees you as a threat. They see you as violent, just like this boy in his car. This young man in his car was immediately perceived a threat. Do you think a white boy in khakis would have been met with that same thing? And the fact that he had marijuana on them is irrelevant. Recreational marijuana does happen to be illegal in Florida. Florida needs to get with the times, because I know all those crazy maga folks down there are definitely blazing and snorting and doing all kinds of things. But you can have marijuana on you if you have a medical card. In Florida, they didn't even ask him, do you have a medical card for this? So I just I'm disgusted by it, and a part of me again, because I'm reading Asada, a part of me feels like, yeah, he wasn't resisting. People say well, why, you know, why are they trying to get up?
Speaker 5: Like because that shit hurts.
Speaker 4: You're being slammed to the ground, You're trying to protect yourself. You're trying to just be treated like a human being.
Speaker 5: But I do feel like.
Speaker 4: If we are to die, then I want to die fighting, you know, Like I just at some point I want them to be scared of us. At some point, I want you to be scared about putting your hands on black bodies because I've seen white folks get away with that, and I know, like, I want you all to push back and tell me like that ain't the thing, because we will get killed.
Speaker 5: I know we will get killed.
Speaker 4: But I just, like with George Floyd, I'm like, in that moment, I want them to be scared. I want them to feel like we surrounded by a bunch of black folks, and I'm kneeling on this man's neck, like, yeah, we got guns, but if they descend, I don't know just how do we tap into that month I.
Speaker 1: Murdered with impunity, That's my point, because they have a license to kill.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think we'll go ahead, hands with the legally. I'm sure I'm saying something better. No, I think I understand what you're saying, you know, I think that we're tired of dying and in there, in it there it feels, you know, especially frustrating when your resistance is treated as the most criminal thing and not the the initial reason why you were stopped or questioned or handcuffed or busted in the face because you like, I.
Speaker 5: Don't understand why you're pulling me over.
Speaker 3: You're telling me to put my seatbolt on, Like how do you know I didn't take the seatbowt off once you pulled me over to get my license out, Like you don't really know what's going on. And I think that let's say that he didn't have a seatbelt on, and let's say that he needed to put his lights on because there was inclement weather that only this officer could see what purpose does it serve you to bust the window and to punch this man in the face. And then I think, for me, the worst offense is these black men who are present for the stop, present for the attack, because that's what it was, present for the arrest, who are no different than the officers on the screen or the officer on the screen, and boys in a hood like you are just a part of what is wrong with the with structural racism and systemic issues power with police and law enforcement for our folks. So I just I'm sending William all the love William McNeil neil Jr. And I just want to say, brother, I understand why you didn't file a complaint because it's like, what difference does it make? So now they manage you because you didn't file a complaint. Now they mad at you because you traumatize off of what happened. There are so many young black men who don't have video, who don't have, you know, the benefit of the doubt on their side because maybe they committed a crime, because maybe they look to be inherently violent and criminal whatever it is. You don't deserve that, and you do deserve our advocacy, and so we'll shed a light on this, even if it upsets our stomach, makes us naxous knowing your reality. We can't imagine what you're going through just trying to make it through. But no, you have family and us and we are going to fight alongside you. Like I said, this might be the time Andrew brings his bullhorn back out.
Speaker 1: I just think we need to update what we're telling our children, our young people when they encounter law enforcement. I remember taking my kids to the park, which I did every Sunday when they were little, little, little, and we would play outside, get the energy out, said go to bed. And I remember, you know, these white women in the park, you know, bending down that my children and saying how cute they were, and oh how polite, and oh how this. And I remember having.
Speaker 6: This just thought flushed to my mind, like when do they become your aims? And do they become the dangers that you fear. They're so cute now and so you know, precocious and all these things, and I'm thinking, when do you decide that they're now the threat? Because it really is your decision. I mean, it isn't what I determined my interaction with them is not the status quo. Because I see babies, I see boys, I see kids who are being kids, who are making kids like decisions about themselves. In that moment in time, I see bright futures, incredible contributors to the future of humanity. And I'm being humble with that.
Speaker 1: That's what I see.
Speaker 6: But unfortunately your eyes have scales on them and it can't quite reveal the truth of the matter. And so when you decide my kids are to be feared, is when I'm on hyper steroids trying to protect them. Left right center, you've mentioned I don't know my neighbors. I gotta know my neighbors, and I take my kids with me when I introduce myself to folks who are moving into the neighborhood, because I don't want them to mistake who they are when they see them walking down the street at dust or walking back through the neighborhood after school when they've been dropped off by a bus. Right, So, we don't have the luxury of just leaving it to chance, and our kids don't have the right to be children. They must now assess every situation from its most murky point, from its most sinister perspective because you lack the curiosity in the muscle memory to see a human as a human being, regardless of the color melanated or not skinned they am. It's ridiculous, but I don't expect more. So we do have to do what we can to protect our children wherever we can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's a great place for us to end. Also, for those of you watching, Yes, Tips Battery finally did die, but.
Speaker 5: She hung in there.
Speaker 6: And the thing that we know she put up a fight. Lord.
Speaker 3: The thing that we know is the marathon continues. We will continue the fight and you can continue to tune in. This is still y'all's home.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all, Hole, Welcome home, Welcome Home. Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.