Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: I thought it was only appropriate that we gave out the Heisman Trophy this past weekend and Josh Allen had his Heisman moment for the MVP of the NFL. We'll get to both of those coming up in a moment eight seven, seven to three, DP Show Email ad r Sdpatdanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle, a DP show Play the day, stat of the day, poll question, all of that forthcoming. We've got football coming up tonight. It'll be the Bears and the Vikings. The Bears are getting seven against the Vikings. The Falcons are giving five and a half to the Peskey Raiders. Speaking of the MVP race, I think it's over. I think it's been over for a while. We were trying to make it a race. It's Josh Allen, followed by Lamar Jackson. Josh Allen a prohibitive favor according to DraftKings. Then it's Lamar Jackson, Saquon Barkley and Jared goff Seaton. What's the poll question that we have today? Before we start to dive into who's joining us on the program.
Speaker 3: Oh, why don't we start with who had the worst weekend.
Speaker 4: Oh we're going negative, sure, right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Arms.
Speaker 3: How about Army football, that's not great.
Speaker 2: Well they were favored by six and a half, but maybe was a whole lot better than Army over the weekend. Gary Danielson was on the call for CBS, Gary who had a great game. He'll join us coming up a little bit later on. Yeah, that was a bad loss because Army undefeated. Hey maybe they get into the playoffs. Hey maybe, how are they going to do against Notred? They got roughed up and then you got roughed up against Navy as well. Navy was the better team certainly on Saturday. Anybody else in there.
Speaker 3: Well, you could put the Detroit Lions on there. You could more specifically put the Detroit Lions defense on there. Boy, they had a terrible weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes they did, and Josh Allen took advantage of that. So the Bills they're going to score points. They are the first team to score at least thirty points in eight consecutive game games in a single season. Last time that happened to twenty thirteen Broncoso.
Speaker 5: How stall of.
Speaker 6: A day, stall of a day, Stall of.
Speaker 7: A day, stant a day This is the Stule of the.
Speaker 2: Day, brought to you by Panadia America Official trading cards of the program. Here's my concern with the Buffalo Bills. If you somehow have a subpar Josh Allen performance in the playoffs, given the fact that that defense is not great, they put up points on offense. The defense just kind of hangs on for the ride, kind of like what you have in Detroit. But Josh Allen's going to be your MVP, and he's doing things that haven't been done in a long, long, long time. How about this the only quarterback in the last fifty years to have three straight games. He wasn't sacked, no fumbles, no interceptions, no negative plays from scrimmage. And that's why Dan Campbell went for the on side kick. Now, this is how it sounded yesterday on the Bills radio network.
Speaker 7: Bates kicks it and it bounces, takes the high hop and it's covered by Hollins.
Speaker 1: He's going the other way fifteen ten and he's.
Speaker 7: Upended at the six yard line. Who I thought the barefoot wonder was gonna get to the end zone tripped up at the form as the on side kick goes horribly wrong, for the Lions.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's twelve minutes to go. They're down ten. Dan Campbell realizes we're not stopping Josh Allen.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: The problem that I have with the on side kick is if you're gonna do it at twelve minutes to go or you know, anytime after like five minutes in a game, you should be able to surprise the opposition. If it's the final minute, then you can let them know you're gonna have an on side kick. If you said that you were gonna have an onside kick in that moment and you didn't have to tell the Buffalo Bills, then I understand the logic with Detroit because they wouldn't have. You know, you're not expecting an onside kick with twelve minutes to go and the team is down by ten. That's the problem with the rule. Hey, we would normally be surprising you surprise, but we can't surprise you. It's we're gonna surprise you. We're gonna tell you there's a It's like when you tell somebody there's a surprise party for them and then they have to go in and act surprise. So they basically just said to the Buffalo Bills Hey, surprise, we're gonna have an onside kick with twelve minutes to go. You gotta fix that, Like there has to be I'm okay with the kick off, Like I'm not thrilled about it, but you know, we've seen some returns, there's some movement, there's some strategy there. But with the onside kick, and I know they're worried about these collisions. I get it, there's gonna be collisions. I mean, there is collateral damage. It's football. But when I announced that it's going to happen, you can still have collisions.
Speaker 4: So why not make it a surprise. Hey, hey, twelve minutes to go.
Speaker 2: They'd never they've never got an attempt on onside kick. Here's Dan Campbell on why he attempted the onside kick.
Speaker 8: I thought we'd get the possession. I thought we were going to get that ball. It's one of Bates' best kicks that I've seen him have. That That was a big kicker at the end. You know, I think took a good jump on us, and Hollis made a heck of a play on it. And you know, obviously now sitting here hindsight after them taking it down to the three yard line. Yeah, I wish I wouldn't have done that, but that is what it is.
Speaker 2: Is that the best compliment you can give Josh Allen. So when somebody says, hey, why does Josh Allen deserve the MVP? Twelve minutes to go, you're down ten at home, You're the Lions, one of the highest scoring offenses, and you decide an on side kick because you can't stop Josh Allen. And that's the truth. That's what happened yesterday, all right. So who else do we have in there?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is that because Josh Allen is so good or your defense is so bad?
Speaker 4: I think it's a combination. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, the injuries have decimated the Detroit Lions. Josh Allen has been spectacular, but he's been taking care of the ball. I mean it's really simple because you look at that offense and if I said, okay, tell me all the great names on that offense, exactly, they're not great names.
Speaker 4: They're good, they're not great.
Speaker 2: He's great and he's finally put it together where this is what people thought the last couple of years, where they're like, hey, Josh Allen MVP, Josh Allen MVP.
Speaker 4: Kept trying to shove it down our throats don't need to. This year.
Speaker 2: They came into the season as an underdog. I mean, that's a big time win. And I know Detroit's depleted. Buffalo's defense was depleted to start the year, and then you get rid of Stepan Diggs and we're wondering, Josh Allen has no weapons. They can run the ball and certainly what he does, and he has it in his hands. I mean, and you don't hear any drama. It's just they're playing football in Detroit. I mean, you know, Jared Goff has had one of those statistical anomalies where you throw five interceptions and win, you throw five touchdowns and you lose. I don't know if that's ever happened in the history of the game that a quarterback has had that in one season.
Speaker 4: But for Jared Goff, they put up numbers. It's a fun team.
Speaker 2: If you said that's our super Bowl, I think everybody would, well, Kansas City fans wouldn't. And we have the yearly Patrick Mahomes ankle injury.
Speaker 5: It just.
Speaker 4: It has to happen because he's.
Speaker 2: Got to battle through something and then he win another Super Bowl. It's like, when is Patrick Mahomes gonna have his ankle injury?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just had it. Yes, Marvin, we're.
Speaker 9: On year or two of Oh the Chiefs are down, the Bills, Ravens, they have to win it. This year we're gonna go on maybe a four Street year of the Chiefs being down and being beatable and then winning a Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where you're gonna look back and if you don't capitalize this year in the ABC and knock them out, when are you going to knock them out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Seaton, I think it's actually too late. You already were supposed to knock the Chiefs out. You're supposed to take care of this in the first like eight weeks of the season, and nobody did. And now to me it almost feels like too late, Like they're just rolling I get the ankle injury, I get all that, but it's like that train has left the station. They're already rolling downhill.
Speaker 2: And you know, Mahomes is day to day, but you want to keep that home field advantage. And the Chiefs probably thought, you know what, buffalo get knocked off here, give us a little bit more of a cushion here. You you want to have that home field advantage. You're Kansas City, Yeah, Pauling, Yeah, it just checked seatons right. If the Chiefs didn't make the playoffs, there's no way they could win the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: He's correcked on that one.
Speaker 3: Ye, that was your chance, Okay, was getting rid of them early, Yes, Tod and several.
Speaker 5: Teams lost close games to them.
Speaker 9: They lose one or two of those games, you know, you're opening the door for the Bills to have home field throughout the playoffs, and then it becomes more likely maybe the Bills go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show operator standing by. Actually Tyler is sitting by and he'll take your phone calls. Any other candidates who had a bad weekend?
Speaker 3: See, oh of course there's a million. How about the Steelers. Steelers didn't have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: When the Eagles held the ball for like eleven minutes to close out the game, that's almost like if you're watching Army play football or Navy and they're gonna eat up the clock for eight minutes. That just decimates you. I mean, I thought the Eagles would win. I'm always curious, can they win without any drama? And it felt like things are better ish there with Philadelphia. I just didn't understand when Jalen Hurds goes to the press conference and before they start at the press conference, he's saying basically, uh, so is that what you guys were looking for?
Speaker 4: Huh? Yeah, it's not us.
Speaker 5: We didn't.
Speaker 2: We didn't start the controversy in Philadelphia, Jalen, you and your teammates did. And yes, is it asking too much for a guy making fifty million dollars to have a couple of touchdown passes and maybe a touchdown run? I guess because he's asking the media, is that what you wanted?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: This isn't about the media, It's about you and your teammates. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See the last drive of that game, the Eagles took over on their own three yard line with ten minutes and twenty nine seconds to go in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and took up.
Speaker 3: All till like ten minutes and twenty nine seconds.
Speaker 2: Basically crazy, that's crazy, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: There are a couple other teams that did not have a good weekend. The Chargers. Chargers did not have a good weekend. You got the number one scoring defense, Tampa goes cross country and Roughs you up. That was a big surprise there. Tampa is one of those teams just like the Rams. You don't want to face them in the playoffs. Now the Rams got to get in. But it feels like, you know, Tampa, Baker Mayfield's done a great job. Mike Evans coming back certainly helps. They got a running game, they got you know, their season. They were a playoff team last year, but that one surprised me that they made it look easy. Well, Chargers were up and then all of a sudden, Tampa came back, and I'm thinking, wow, Tampa a little statement game. There anybody else to put on the list?
Speaker 4: Seton? Since we're skewing negative first down?
Speaker 3: Well, let's see right now, we've got army football the Detroit Lions. Do we want to say defense or just as a team.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll say team.
Speaker 3: Well, because Dan Campbell his whenever something doesn't work out, it's.
Speaker 4: Like I don't know if he's calling the right plays. You know, this is who he is.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of love that. I think if you're on that team, I think you love that. It's like we're all in.
Speaker 2: I just want to make sure, Okay, I'm not big on analytics. There was a lot of groaning on the other side, you know, the analytics or I do love gut feeling of Hey, my team, they can get this first down, or we're going to try to the on side kick. I didn't like in the moment. I get it, you can't stop Josh Allen. And if you had the element of surprise, then I would say yes, because you wouldn't have expected that. And then like, it's already almost mathematically impossible to recover an on side kick. If you look at the analytics, it's not in your favor. If you were able to surprise, then I got it.
Speaker 4: You didn't.
Speaker 2: They nearly took it back for a touchdown. They eventually capitalized on that. So is that our poll question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we could put Tua on there.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he had a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, Dolphins losing to the Texans. Let me see anything else in here, Oh, Packers, Packers, the Seahawks at home. That was a big game for them. You gotta win, you gotta win. No show, no show, Marino.
Speaker 4: How about that's.
Speaker 10: You.
Speaker 4: I don't know where a game from. So the Seahawks went from atop the NFC West. So they're not in the playoffs at all, right now?
Speaker 5: Is that is that accurate? I don't know. I think they're like, I think they've lost their playoffs spot as of today.
Speaker 9: They went from first place NMC West with a win, and they were already in first place going into that game, and now they're not even a wild cards.
Speaker 2: So the Rams are leading the division, Yes they are, Okay, I don't get caught up in all the details.
Speaker 5: Only three games left is the time to look at the.
Speaker 4: Big game coming up Thursday night.
Speaker 9: That's not the music for president. What is the music for I don't know, but it's the nine and five Broncos at the eight and six Chargers Thursday night.
Speaker 4: And that's you.
Speaker 2: Todd's got his Bronco gear on. Oh we the pronouns, the Denver pronouns.
Speaker 5: We won, we beat the Colts, but they need to beat the Chargers.
Speaker 4: We're the fighting pronouns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love what they They've got to beat the Bolts.
Speaker 4: And oh, you know who had a bad weekend.
Speaker 2: Guys who score touchdowns but don't score touchdowns because they don't get over the goal line.
Speaker 4: It's a bad.
Speaker 3: Weekend for knowing where the goal line.
Speaker 4: Is God, is that terrible? Terrible?
Speaker 5: I don't get it. I do not get it.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. Just getting started here are good buddy. Ross Tucker will join us a little bit later on phone calls. We'll get to those coming up back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 11: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 12: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 11: Most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Lilae. I've on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kobe no on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 4: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: He's Ross Tucker, CBS Sports, Westwood One, NFL college football analyst. He was on the call Patriots Cardinals yesterday. I was watching Ross. Just to let you know, everybody else is watching Bill's Lions, Eagles, Steelers. I'm watching the Patriots and the Cardinals. He'll also be in the booth for Westwood One Thursday Night Broncos and the Chargers. Ross Tucker joining us on the program. Where do you want to start?
Speaker 5: You tell me, man, there's a lot. I mean, I know you got Gary coming on later for Army Navy. We can talk about the Heisman. You know, you know where I would like to start, Dan, I would like to start with the college football playoff and the transfer portal. Okay, and I'll tell you why. Okay, I live in central Pennsylvania. I live in the Harrisburg Hershey area. And Penn State's backup quarterback Bo Prabula, who plays like twenty snaps a game because Penn State has this creative offensive coordinator and Prabula is sort of like a Trace McSorley clone. He announced last night that he's going into the transfer portal and will not be with the team for the college football playoffs. So now they're playing Saturday against SMU. It's the first playoff game in Penn State history. It's a home game. He grew up going to Penn State games. He's a huge Penn State fan. He loves se He's living his dream. Now we have to assume that this probably means Drew Aller the starter, is coming back next year because I thought if Aler left, Praboula would start a couple of years. But something is so wrong here, Dan, that you've got a kid that he's an important part of the team. However, if he stays with the team through the playoffs, he's not going to get a spot somewhere else. These other programs are not waiting for him right, Like, if you're at any of these other programs, name Memphis or Central Michigan, I don't care Ohio State. They need to know who their quarterback's gonna be. And if Krabula can't say yes to them, they got to move on to the next kid. I just hate this. This would be like if NFL free agency was the second week of January. I hate this for Penn State. I hate this for the kid. Like this is a major, major problem for college football.
Speaker 2: This seems like an easy fix or the fact that they didn't think that this was possible. I said this last week. I was told by a source there are two players in the playoffs who are going to transfer during the playoffs. This is one of the players. There's gonna be one more who's going to transfer from what I'm told. And this is what's happening. These schools who are looking for these players now because the transfer portal was open, they are saying to them or they're representatives, we don't want you playing another game if we're going to bring you in and give you an IL. That's what's going on. And I understand both sides of this. Hey, I want to play. I'm not going to be a starting quarterback at Penn State. Yes, we're in the playoffs. They want me now. I either go now or they're going to move on to somebody else. We don't want you playing, We don't want you getting hurt. Like if you're playing for Penn State, you might play three games coming up here. And that's what's amazing is you're willing to quit on your team because somebody wants you and they want you right now.
Speaker 5: Well, and here's the thing, Like he grew up like twenty minutes from where I am right now. This has to be eating away. This isn't like something from Florida that went to Penn State. Like there's pictures of him that they show all the time, five years old, eight year old, ten year old at Penn State games at Penn State gear on, Like this is he's living his dream. But you know, like all of us in life, you get to the point where it's like, Okay, the dream got this far and it was great to play football for Penn Sate. But the other dream is to actually be a starting quarterback, maybe have a chance at the pros. Whatever can you imagine Let's just picture we're watching SMU Penn State on Saturday, second college football playoff game ever in the expanded format, what happens if Drew Aller gets hurt on the second play and Penn State has to put a true freshman into the game that's never played before other than garbage time. That that is such a bad look. And the thing is, I know there's a window for after the playoffs where guys can enter the portal, but that that's the other These other coaches there their livelihood. We got a group of five coaches getting fired after two years all over the place. The guy at Charlotte, Tom Herman, Fau. They're getting fired like this. They can't wait. Plus the thing that people never even talk about. They are still supposed to be taking classes like they are to. They are supposed to be registered for the second semester. Like that's not even now you're a universa ross.
Speaker 2: Now you're getting silly. You went to Princeton. You went to Princeton. That's different. There your initial reaction comments to Bill Belichick going to North Carolina. I'll give you an opportunity looking back on those comments. Do you stand by what you said about Bill Belichick?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean, well, now when I said it on on the radio in Boston. I was laughing because knowing his personality and the way he treats people and knowing what I think is the most important thing for college head coaches that they're like polar opposites. Right, So the key for college football coaches. Head coaches, you're basically the CEO of a huge operation, and the two most important things you can do are to convince seventeen year olds and their parents that they should come play for you, and convince rich people that went to the school or a fan of the school to give you more money. That's the job, Dan like, that's the biggest part of the job. Belichick is definitely the best game planning schematic coach I was ever around. But you hear Brady's comments, Edelman's comments. You talk to anyone that's ever played, and I know people are gonna reply in the comments you only play two games, room do Yeah? I know I only played two games. Who I was there for parts of two seasons. I know what he's like, I know his personality. It's one hundred percent negative reinforcement. The first thing they do at eight am team meeting is show the five worst place in the day before. No one I know or has spoken with him. Dan can picture him being in a living room recruiting or talking to donors and trying to get money. Nobody can pich that, and maybe they can have success without that. Maybe he can hire some people that can do that part of it. I'll also say this, looking at the buyout, Dan, I firmly believe, and and maybe I'll be wrong, and maybe we won't get a chance to see it. I firmly believe that as soon as he got an NFL opportunity, or gets a NFL opportunity, I think you would leave the next day. I think you would leave the next day, even if the first I think the initial buyouts ten million. If somebody decides in January that they want Belichick, I think he'd be gone certainly next year if someone gets fired. I think he'd much much rather be in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Why is the buyout one million dollars?
Speaker 5: Because he wanted it that way North Carolina.
Speaker 4: But the optics are terrible.
Speaker 5: It's a great point. It's a great point. Guess what. He doesn't care about the optics, just like I don't really believe he cares that much. Like it would be a bad look for him if the Jaguars offered him the job and in January he leaves UNC. I just don't think he cares that much. I think he'd say, listen, like I'm sorry, but I have a better opportunity, and you know, I want to take this up. I don't think he would care that much about what that means for North Carolina. On some level, I feel like North Carolina Dan is getting already what they wanted out of this. Everybody's talking about them. They were able to reel in the big fish. They're getting relevancy. North Carolina is already getting a lot of publicity and a lot of branding out of this.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Obviously they wouldn't be happy if he left, But I mean, does anybody really think he'll be there for three to five years? I don't. Unless no NFL team wants him, then maybe he'll stay. Because I'll give him credit for this, I never thought he would do this. He must really love coaching football. I personally thought he wanted to continue to coach in the NFL. To break down schools record, the two huge positives about Bill unbelievable schematically and game planning and he clearly really really loves it, because there's no other explanation for him to take this North Carolina job.
Speaker 2: He's Ross Tucker, CBS Sports Westwood One, NFL college football analyst and host of Ross Tucker Football podcast. The NFL MVP race is.
Speaker 5: Just about over. Yeah, I mean it's Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: It's over.
Speaker 5: The guy is unbelievable. Now, listen, there's three games left. That's a decent size of games. But what he's just done, especially against the Chiefs and the Lions, two games that everybody was watching, and even in a losing effort against the Rams that was another game everybody watched, and he was ridiculous in it. You know, I don't like to get too prone to hyperbole, right, I can't, off the top of my head think of a quarterback who I thought had a higher upside, meaning when they're playing their best. I'm not sure. Now we know Josh has had turnover issues. You know, he's been inconsistent times in his career. But when he's at his best, like he is right now, who's better than him? Ever? He's six y five, two hundred and forty five pounds. He can run with power and speed. Maybe better than any quarterback we've seen. He has the strongest arm in the NFL. He's very smart. You look around at their skill guys, they're putting up forty some points. None of those guys are going in to the Pro Bowl this year. I mean maybe James Cook, but they're not. He's not throwing the ball to like a star receiver tandem like some of the other teams have. The guy unbelievable. I think he's got the highest upside of any quarterback I've ever seen in my life. For when he's playing his best, I don't think anybody can top that.
Speaker 4: How concern should the Lions be.
Speaker 5: Very and listen? You know, I'm from Pennsylvania. I do the Eagles preseason games. I have no ties or allegiance to the Lions. It makes me very very sad, very sad. This was supposed to be their year. Now Dan Campbell says it might be season enders for Ali McNeil, their best defensive lineman, their last defensive lineman standing, and Carlton Davis, who's probably their best corner. I don't know I've ever seen anything like this. They've lost what seven starters on defense, and it's it's a darn shame, Dan, it really I I wanted to see I wanted them to see this through and I wanted to see what they could accomplish this year. Now they'll get some guys back. Angeloni will be back, so we'll see that they can get back for the playoffs. But it really really stinks. We know that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: That's why I laugh when people say injuries are no excuse. Really okay, so maybe injuries are no excuse, but they might be the reason. I mean, you watch the games, right, You see what the Lions defense was when they had Hutchinson and all their starters. Now you watch what it is when they've lost all these guys at some point. If it's not an excuse, it's darn shore the reason why their defense stinks. Now.
Speaker 2: I know that you were doing your game when the Eagles and the Steelers were playing, but I watched it.
Speaker 13: Oh you did while you were doing your No, no, not I But after I got back to the hotel before the Red Eye, I watched it because I watch every Eagle snack because I talk about them so much during the week.
Speaker 4: Okay, anything jump out at you with that performance?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think you know I do my power rankings on the Rossucker Podcast on Tuesday. I'm going to have them number one. I think they're pretty clearly the most talented roster in the NFL. I think they're the best team right now in the NFL. You know the thing I said on social media, this thing I do for Eagles fans, I hope they appreciate the offensive line. That is not normal what they're doing. Then, their last drive was ten and a half minutes. Ten and a half minutes. The Steelers had two possessions and eleven plays in the second half. Never heard of that in my life. They haven't given up more than thirteen points the defense, and there was a fumble return against the Jags. The defense has not given up more than twenty points since the buye. It's statistically the best defense since the buye, which was Week five. Their receivers are absurd. We saw that with Devonte Smith and A J. Brown yesterday. You know about Saquan the only real question mark is Hurts. When he plays at that level like he did yesterday, good luck, right Like to beat them, you're gonna have to force Hurts to beat you, and he's gonna have to have a bad game. It's like, you know, force the other team to shoot threes or whatever in hoops and they have an off night and they're missing him. That's your only shot right now against the Eagles. Stop the run, force Hurts to make plays in the in the passing game. Hope that he has a bad game and you win.
Speaker 4: Safe travels. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thank you always, Dan, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Gary Danielson CB a sports lead college football analyst. He was on the call with Brad Nessler Army Navy. I wanted to have you on biggest reason. I wanted to tell you did a great job. Wow, it was a great, great call with you and Brad. You captured it, and I wanted to tell you then, well.
Speaker 6: That's really nuicte. We we got a text, not we, Brad knows these guys better than I do.
Speaker 10: We got a text from coach Ushevski during during the game saying how much he enjoyed and that we were capturing it.
Speaker 6: So you two great minds. I think a light on this one you know, uh.
Speaker 2: He probably didn't like the ending though, since he went to Wesboint.
Speaker 10: Hey, you know, there's a lot of pressure doing that game. I've done every major you know, rivalry game. There is Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn, Alabama, u c L A national championship. You just want to do it right, you know, you know what I mean. I mean, I feel such great vibes about those players. They have to be full time students, full time you know, cadets, and.
Speaker 6: Then they got to play football on top of that.
Speaker 10: And the first time I did it, I was really nervous and I was doing it with vern and I told Vern Man, Vernon, I don't I don't know, we get know, I just I don't not familiar with this. And we interviewed a player the first time I was there day and we went and visited and the first player we interviewed said, ah, guys, I love you. I grew up watching SEC football. We always watch SEC. Here's the only thing we asked, don't create us on a curve.
Speaker 6: I went, man, how cool is that?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 6: I mean the.
Speaker 10: Guy's saying that because those guys love playing football.
Speaker 2: But trying to call a perfect game it's like trying to play a perfect game.
Speaker 6: You can't, right, Oh, I messed up, there's no doubt. Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think when Hide and Wright scored, I think I called him Eric hiden Wright.
Speaker 6: Because Eric heiden You know, I just went with the I just flew it together.
Speaker 10: You know. I think Brad got it right. I don't think I did. But yeah, I get nervous. I don't get nervous for anything. I never gotten nervous when I played. I don't get nervous for other games. Don't get nervous talking to important people.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: But I want to give the game it's due. That's really what I try to do.
Speaker 4: And it's the one game.
Speaker 2: I think it's a standalone game where the pictures are more important than anything that's said, because you're trying to capture what you don't need to capture, because we get to see it with you.
Speaker 10: God, I had a big sign on my board, you know my monitor. Don't talk too much because of what you just said. You know, our producer, Craig Silver has done it forever. You know, I think we've done now sixteen of these together. Steve Milton, our director, also directs. You know, the Masters golf and our crews out there with the march on the whole thing, I mean, all of them. I love doing this game, but it's a big commitment. You know, you've got president coming in. I interviewed President Obama and I have in the past interviewed President Elect Trump, and then he was in the booth next to us.
Speaker 6: So you can feel it.
Speaker 10: I mean you can feel it. And it looks like, I don't know, Dan, you can help on this. They might be losing the standalone part of this game.
Speaker 14: Absolutely, I know, and that's why I was wanting to knock on the bulletproof glass next to Trump and say, hey, why don't you just pass the law.
Speaker 6: It seems like you can.
Speaker 10: Do this that there can be no other game in the afternoon but this game Army Navy.
Speaker 4: That's a good idea.
Speaker 2: But you're right, because of the extended playoffs, I think that they're going to encroach on Army and Navy. This might be the last weekend, the last year that it's a standalone game. Let me ask you about the other news on Saturday, Travis Hunter winning the Heisman. But if you're a GM or a coach, how are you using him in the NFL.
Speaker 10: I would use them the way they use diam back the way when he played. You know, I would use him with things that he does well. He seems to handle fifty to fifty balls really well. He plays defense well. I don't see why he can't in modern football play fifteen important snaps in the game at corner or covering the slot.
Speaker 8: Or more.
Speaker 10: Excuse me, I wanted to flip it, you know, play regular defense. I'd use them at corner and then play maybe ten twelve plays on offense when you need him in the red zone. He seems to be up for it. And I don't see why. First of all, more players can't do that if you use them smartly. And I think you know, his coach was the best at it back in the day.
Speaker 2: With the playoffs going on and the transfer portal coinciding with this, how did the grown ups not see that this could be a problem.
Speaker 10: Well, you saw, I heard you're talking to Russ Tucker, you know, with bro Travula. I don't quite understand the whole mechanics of why Bo has to leave the team, Why he can't entle the portal tell the coach or team that wants them.
Speaker 6: You know, we don't know who it is.
Speaker 10: It might be I you, For all we know where he's going to go, right, it might be an important team down the line. I don't know why he can't stay on the team and say, coach, I would never quit on you. But I'm not saying he's quitting. I understand he's in it, but I don't know why he can't finish it out as the backup quarterback. I mean, I don't see why he can't finish this game. There's been plenty of pro players who finished out their season knowing that they were going to be free agents the next year.
Speaker 6: I don't see what.
Speaker 10: The big deal is. Is it the fact that he has to sign an nil Now? I would look right at the coach and go, why would you want me? If I'm willing to leave the team I am on now, a team that can win.
Speaker 6: The championship, you shouldn't want me if I want to do that. So I don't quite get it.
Speaker 10: I think the sm you quarterback has decided he's going to be in the portal and he's playing it. Ohio status seven guys in the portal that are playing.
Speaker 6: In the game. I don't know why bo has.
Speaker 10: To leave and he's a good player, by the way, Yeah, a very good player.
Speaker 6: But I don't know why he has to leave now.
Speaker 10: I'm sure if his parents were here or they could explain it, but I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: You bring up a great point if if I'm transferring to your school and you want me to give up on my team who's in the playoffs and could win a couple of games, is that the kind of guy that you want on your team. But I am told, though, Gary, these coaches are saying, we don't want you to risk getting hurt too bad.
Speaker 1: Too bad.
Speaker 6: You know, I get hurt, I get hurt.
Speaker 5: I mean I can get hurt.
Speaker 6: In spring ball with you. I don't get it.
Speaker 10: That's I hope that that's the advice I'd be giving my son.
Speaker 6: But again, there's always more things.
Speaker 10: Remember early in the year, we were talking about the UNLV quarterback you know, quit on it, you know, and that was more complicated than the story that we were led to believe, you know, I mean, his head coach at holy Cross came up and said he turned down a half a million to go to UNLV.
Speaker 6: And then, you know, so there's more pages all the time than we know, but I don't know.
Speaker 10: I love college football. It's funny. I got my pretty jersey in the back. You know, I don't My team didn't do so good this year.
Speaker 6: But I wasn't great in college. I never really caught it. You know.
Speaker 10: I wasn't as disciplined as I was when I got in the NFL. I wasn't as disciplined when I had a family and I knew kids are on the way. It was much more dedicated, you know, to it. But I hope he doesn't regret this because I've regretted the way I played.
Speaker 6: You know, I let a lot of my still feel like I let a lot of.
Speaker 10: My teammates down at Purdue, and I regretted that my whole life.
Speaker 2: Give me the surprise this opening weekend of the college football playoffs.
Speaker 6: I think i U has a shot against Notre Dame.
Speaker 10: I know they're good. You know, I've seen I you up close. We saw Notre Dame against USC. This is not a great USC football team, and that was not a great home field advantage. They played him pretty good, you know, an interception at the last end.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 10: I think SMU has a little bit of speed that might give Penn State some problems.
Speaker 6: What I don't like about it is I thought Boise State.
Speaker 10: I mean, the charm of the basketball tournament is the little guys play in the first round, this whole by thing of SMU and Boise State. Wouldn't you have loved to see Boise State make and their reward is they get a home game against Alabama on the blue.
Speaker 6: Turf in fifteen degree weather. Isn't that the way this thing should have been?
Speaker 10: I listen, I know the people that put this stuff together, they're great character people. But when it was put together, the PAC twelve was still alive and this thing kind of got out of whack.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 10: They'll fix it, you know, in arrears. But it'll get better. It's way better than it was before.
Speaker 6: But I got a question for you. You're always good at throwingis at me. If you're an.
Speaker 10: IU fan, would you rather have a win over Notre Dame or IU basketball makes the finals in the NCAA Tournament this year?
Speaker 2: Well, knowing the state of Indiana, I would say making it to the NCUBLEA title game in basketball.
Speaker 10: I was kidding the IU fans when I did a radio show that until this year, the IU football fan were not even aware that there was an ESPN ranking show all year during the season until this year, and they said, oh my god, they do this every week.
Speaker 6: We didn't know that.
Speaker 2: So well, you could dine out on beating Notre Dame for a long long time.
Speaker 6: That's for sure. And they've got a good team. They're a really good team. They didn't you know.
Speaker 10: That was the big lights against Ohio State was a little bit different for them.
Speaker 6: But you know, I think they're going to play well in this football game.
Speaker 4: What if Ohio State loses?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 10: Really I really think early in that game, when they got their quarterback nicked early in that game, I wonder if that affected their play calling because it just didn't make any sense to me running right into the teeth of the Michigan football team like that. And I don't know if Howard and I got tackled early. I just wondered if that threw off the way they played. I think they're going to be ready. I don't know if you've heard us late in the game. One of the things that Brad and I had talked about was at the end of the year of the flag planning, and I kind of take that flag planning two ways, you know. One it's the coach's job to say this ain't happening. If we win, all right, we're gonna win with class. But if I was on the other side, if I was out of state, or and all right, you beat us parents square, but that doesn't mean you get to do that to our football feel.
Speaker 6: That's a whole new game.
Speaker 10: You get the w and you get the bragging rights, but you don't plant your flag in the middle of the field. And that's why we ended up our game talking about one thing we know about Army Navy.
Speaker 6: They're not worried about at the end of the game planning.
Speaker 10: Flags of their school because they respect the other side too much.
Speaker 6: The only flag they're going to plant.
Speaker 10: Is the flag of the United States of America. And I think that's what that game was all about.
Speaker 4: Best college player you ever saw.
Speaker 10: The most dominating player I saw early was Calvin Johnson. I saw him as first game as a true freshman, and I went, how does anybody ever stop this guy? I was like, it's impossible.
Speaker 2: And they're not a passing offense at Georgia exactly.
Speaker 6: At Georgia Tech.
Speaker 10: And I think he made a diving catch early, although I will have to say Larry Fitzgerald was right there as a freshman too, But I just thought he was an amazing body type. And then I think his second catch, he was running full speed and he reached back with one hand and caught it. And I couldn't believe that as well. But I think those you know, i've heard you talking about the SEC not involved here.
Speaker 6: I think they might want to bring me back, Dan.
Speaker 10: I got there in two thousand and six, so the year before I got there in five, they.
Speaker 6: Didn't have anybody, and I leave this year they don't have anybody.
Speaker 10: And the nine of the eighteen years I was there, they had the Heisman Trophy winners. So they had a pretty good run with championships and Heisman guys. So I leave one year and all falls apart, you know. So there was a run of them there. But I tell you one guy who dominated like I've never seen before with the team.
Speaker 6: He had, Cam Newton.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I couldn't believe how he played in the SEC. And I don't think there was only one other player on that team that even played NFL football.
Speaker 4: Randy Moss stood out.
Speaker 2: Oh I covered him too when I watched Marshall and we hope Randy's on the road to recovery. I just remember he caught a couple of passes over the middle and he was gone. And you know, you can say, well he played at Marshall, but he still stood out.
Speaker 4: He was unique.
Speaker 2: And I still don't think we've ever had a wide receiver like Randy Moss in the NFL.
Speaker 10: That's pretty true. His top end speed, well you couldn't overthrow. They're just you couldn't do it, you know. So, I mean I covered a lot of good players, you know, I remember the days when Tom was Brady was playing at Michigan. He was so upset that you know, he wasn't the starter. I mean, his competitive instincts and his clutch play at Michigan, especially with the way he was being, you know, rotated in, there was something to see, but man, and he had the chip on his shoulder and seems like he still has it.
Speaker 6: I love the way he competes. I mean, I've had a great run here, right you know.
Speaker 10: I mean the first game I ever did was Tydentmer beating the Miami number one Miami Hurricanes. I got to play with Bernie Cozar you know, and that group of guys in Cleveland played with Billy Simms with my running back, and now we've got the broadcast with Hall of Favors Brent and Verne and now Nessler been pretty good for an undrafted free agent, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: OJ Simpson's the first player I saw who was different when he was at USC Like you know, I grew up an Ohio State fan. Knew they were going to always lose when they went to the Rose Bowl, and to see Oj it was just him and Gail Sayers are the two guys. Jim Brown ran differently, but Gail Sayirs and Oj Simpson that ability to cut and glide. I'd never seen that before. Those were the first two guys that really hit me back in the late sixties.
Speaker 10: Tim great Ones, I'll tell you I was not aware by the way that in your Heisman criteria voting is taking a hit was one of the things, because I can show you a lot of my.
Speaker 6: Taking hits over the years.
Speaker 10: Lawrence Taylor threw me back five yards out of play, you know, I mean it was he was incredible. He might have been the best player I ever played against, was Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 6: So I was we we actually had a tip. It's funny.
Speaker 10: I did a radio show with Kirk Gibson and he said that they always knew that Dwight Gooden tipped his pitches and they still couldn't hit him.
Speaker 6: We always when Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 10: Was going to rush or drop, we would shift our protection couldn't block them, you know.
Speaker 6: So it's those guys are special, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Again, pass it on to Brad when you talk to him. It was just wonderful. You guys did a great job and.
Speaker 6: It wasn't just us.
Speaker 10: I mean, we had seventy five people that worked really hard, veteran people.
Speaker 2: And you can name all of them if you want to run down all seventy of them.
Speaker 10: You know they they all will watch your show. And Dan, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 6: It's been great.
Speaker 4: Thank you, buddy,